[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Used Car <$3000 for summer Internship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
I'm going to be going to Washington state for the summer for an internship. I've been looking at the sticky for a car to choose, and i'm wondering what would we a rather easy car to buy, and then sell at the end of the summer, because I'm not going to need the car after the summer. Something on the sportier side would be nice, and I was thinking that I would like a manual.

TLDR: Sportier manual car for under $3000 that is easy to sell.
>>
File: image.jpg (321 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321 KB, 1024x768
>>14892715
Why do these threads still get posted?
>>
File: IMG_20150814_172307_2_.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150814_172307_2_.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
Now that I've answered your question, ASL?
>>
>>14892746
Every Miata I find for under $3000 looks like a 17 year old jizzed over it, which makes me believe they probably ran it to shit. 18 f cali
>>
>>14892759
Which area? I find it difficult to believe what you're saying is true. I bet I can find a decent one within the price range.
>>
>>14892715
Is your internship in the Seattle area? If so any car you buy you will be able to sell in a day if your price is reasonable.
>>
>>14892775
I'm just looking in the Seattle area on craigslist. I only see a few under $3000. Is there a problem area on the car that I should be looking out for?
>>
>>14892788
Yeah it's in the Seattle area, why will it be able to sell that quick, just because of the population density?
>>
>>14892804
Leaking tops, small oil leaks, rust in rocker and lower quarter panels.

Make sure the transmission isn't slipping, popping, shaking, or grinding.

Seems you're right about the quality of Miatas around you, this one looks halfway decent.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5532509815.html
>>
>>14892905
I was looking at that one, it seems to be the best one of the bunch. I've actually never driven a manual before, the closest thing i've ever driven to one would be a 4 wheeler that had a clutch. Would it be reasonable to be buying a used manual car if I don't know how to drive manual?
>>
>>14892930
It isn't difficult once you understand how and when to shift gears. Watch a few YouTube videos or try to get somebody who knows how to drive manual to teach you.

In your case, I don't think somebody would be too enthusiastic about letting a stranger with no manual experience test drive their car.
>>
>>14892957
Should I just have the owner test drive the car while I'm in the car? Or should I try and find someone I know who can drive manual to test drive it for me?
>>
>>14892811
Yeah, anything decent sells in a day if you aren't stupid about your price. When you go to sell list it for $500 less than you want ideally and it will be gone in a few hours. Chalk up the $500 as the cost of owning the car.
>>
>>14892982
That's exactly what I did. I had my friend who's very familiar with a manual transmission (and Miatas) do the test drive for me while I sat as passenger. He drove the car to my house after I bought it and I spent the next few hours learning on my own.

Having the seller drive you around wouldn't let you feel how the cars clutch or transmission respond to your input.
>>
>>14892982
If its a Miata, do not get an auto transmission. You'd have a hard time selling it.
>>
>>14893027
I think I know a view people who could test drive it for me. I just realized that a miata is pretty small, and i'm 6'2", i'll be able to fit right?

>>14893045

I wouldn't want to get an auto, I've wanted to drive a manual for a long time and I see this as an opportunity to try it out.
>>
>>14892715
Just look on Craigslist idiot

You can't shop used and also pick the trim and color. For 3000, you can get basically any Jap made car from the 90s
>>
>>14893056
General consensus is that people at 6'2" will still fit.

I'm 6'2" and fit okay. Your head might touch the top going over bumps, and your knees might even rub the steering wheel. It depends on your proportions though
>>
>>14893056
>>14893082
Forgot to add that the seats will be small for you, you'll likely not be able to rest your head comfortably. It also offers no lower back support, so extended drives would be a pain at most.
>>
>>14893082
Good enough for me, as long as I don't have to have to top down just to fit inside. Looks like i'll be buying a miata, I've got two weeks to look for one until I need to settle on one of them. I'm surprised you guys recommended me a miata after the sticky saying that it isn't a well liked car on here.
>>
>>14893107
I wouldn't be driving for a long period of time, just to and from work. I also never use the headrest on my current car.
>>
>>14893111
Most of /o/ will tell you about how slow it is (which is true) and how you'll look like a faggot (mostly an internet meme, nobody in the real world would give a shit), but it is a good car for daily commuting that fits your requirements.

Also, if what I hear about Seattle being rainy most of the time is true, make sure the tires are in great shape and offer good grip in rain. Last thing you want is to understeer/oversteer and get in an accident.
>>
>>14893111
What else are you supposed to buy for 3k that is "sportyish?" As long as you have no delusions of going fast or buying a nice miata for 3k you'll be fine. Its the people who think it is a car worthy of spending more than 4k on or modify them that are puzzling.
>>
/miata general/
>>14882547
>>
>>14892715
Northwest is full of Volvos, you can probably find one of the quicker old ones fairly easily.
>>
>>14893150
The biggest difference about Seattle rain is that if it rains where you are for maybe 30mins~2 hours. It would rain in Seattle for about 3 hours+ straight. Thank you for the tips, i'll make sure to check the tires to make sure they've got tread.

>>14893172
I actually currently own a 1982 Volvo 240 turbo and was looking to try something different. Also if I drove an old Volvo I would probably fall in love with it and have a hard time selling it because of that.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.