[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

>A thread for you to ask or answer questions that are either dumb or sensible.

Last QTDDTOT expired - >>14811144
>>
File: rear piston 2.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
rear piston 2.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
Im doing rotor and brake change on my miata at the moment. while I managed to fully finish the job on the front, the rear brakes are a nightmare to finish. I can't get this caliper piston to go back fully even with a giant fucking c-clamp. I literally removed every single bolt aside from the bleeder valve on the caliper and it still won't budge.

I don't know if I have to get new calipers or rebuild them since the previous owner hasn't changed any of the brake pads or rotors since early 2000.
>>
I have an 03 Subaru Outback and whenever I come to a stop in Drive it shakes a bit (sometimes it doesn't do it but most of the time it does) and whenever its in neutral it stops. Should I be worried or is it something small?
>>
Sense DCT's are more closely related to manuals than autos, is it better to put them in neutral when at a stop for a length of time as you would save wear on the clutches or is it better to use them like conventional autos and just hold the break.

also in a manual, does the clutch continually wear as long as you have the pedal in? or is it only when you engage/disengage it?
>>
>>14866810
theres a backout screw on the caliper you need to use a hex key to retract the caliper. it doesn't push back in like the fronts. if you've already removed every bolt on the caliper, look for a recessed hex screw. that's what does it.
>>
>>14867877
Yup. There's a bolt directly on the back side of the caliper that you unscrew to reveal the hex nut. It's either a 4mm or a 6mm, don't remember. Then it slides in by hand.

Put a little bit of preload on it when you load the caliper with pads onto the rotor to adjust it accordingly.
>>
If the previous owner of a car put high octane in it can I just use regular?
Its not a performance car, just a 80s honda
>>
>>14867767
don't know about dct, but in a traditional manual trans, if you're holding the clutch pedal all the way down and in gear like waiting at a red light, then sorta. you're not putting wear on the disc, but you are wearing the throwout bearing. but the throwout bearing is way more sturdy than the disc and it gets replaced when you replace the clutch, so no biggie
>>
>>14867937
Unless the previous owner put a power adder or did internal work on the engine that would need higher octane then yes.
>>
>>14867070
Clean your throttle body and maf sensor and see if that helps. If not then check vacuum lines. Sense it's only under load it probably just needs cleaning. Run a fuel injector cleaner in your next fill up.
>>
>>14867949
Its just stock, thanks
>>
>>14867963
They were probably thinking it was better for the engine or something then. Most fuel companies may add extra detergents to their premium fuel but 87 octane will be best for it.
>>
>>14867918
>>14867877
I removed it with an Allen key and took out the screw entirely. there is nothing on this caliper asides from the bleeder valve.

On another note, I tried to clean the insides of the rubber boot to see if it was something blocking the last bits for the caliper piston, and now I can't get the damn piston inside the rubber boot at all.
>>
do i really want a dodge charger? i know little about cars, I just like the look and sound.
>>
>>14868015
put the hex screw back in. it acts like a pinion gear to rotate the adjuster mechanism. you need to be pushing in on the piston by hand while you're turning the hex screw. not following what you mean about the rubber boot deal
>>
>>14867976
chevron has techron in all of their options so that might be the route to go for that anon if he's worried
>>
>>14866263
Goddamn new mustangs are fucking ugly.
>>
>>14868162
Im not american so chevron isnt a thing here, but it looks like caltex has the same thing so ill look into that too
>>
>>14868130
Girlfriend has an RT. Its nice but I don't like it because I don't feel connected to the road at all. Also she's had it back to the stealer for warranty work on little things. Center screen stopped working, window regulator on rear passenger side stopped working, CEL for a bad o2 sensor (car is only 2 years old).... stupid shit like that
>>
>>14868229
im a first time buyer. Ive read the guide in the sticky but the cons outweight the pros in just about every case. What can you recommend?
>>
>>14868235
Every car is gonna have cons. Depends which ones you can live with. How much money do you have to spend, how old are you, what are you looking for in a car, does it have to be new, etc etc... lots of factors go in to what car is a good fit for you
>>
whats the best car to drive through the desert listening to KYUSS?
>>
>>14868316
88 Ford Taurus
>>
NA Miata or 240sx S13 for a fun second car?
>>
File: benis and bagina.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
benis and bagina.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>>14868133
holy shit I see it now, I was pushing it with my finger while rotating the hex key and the little fucker went back. Why in the flying fuck does this never get mentioned on youtube tutorial videos

that was basically my only issue with my rear brake/rotor install, I'd buy ya a beer if I could.

on a side note, I might have to walk into a autozone to find something that will let me put the piston onto the rubber boot
>>
>>14868463
you're welcome. pay the karma forward and I'll consider it as good as beer
>>
My engine munched itself after I bought some parts for the car, but now I'm planning on just scrapping the car. Should I put the parts on and sell it on craigslist as a mechanics special for dirt ass cheap, or should I sell it to a junkyard?
>>
>>14868378
Miata. IMO better bang for buck and you don't have to deal with a seller who thinks they are the be all end all of cars. Also, at least around where I am in Cali, the 240s have been riced to shit so good luck finding one in decent shape. Miatas are cheap and plentiful and most of them are actually in decent condition.
>>
>>14868631
You could try to sell it to someone just tell the truth about it. Junkyard is likely to pay scrap prices for it.
>>
How much should i offer?
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/5503530733.html
>>
>>14868861
>Spacecoast

get the fuck out of tidusville there's nothing there

also if that's a 305, offer no more than 4k
>>
>>14868852
That's what I was thinking. Thanks.
>>
I have a question about me HVAC system. It blows both hot and cold air at great speeds, however on the lowest speed setting, regardless of temp setting, there is this annoying.. whistling(?) sound. It's hard to explain, but its kind of like halfway between a whistle and paper hitting a plstic fan, since it's a really fast repeating sound.

Any ideas on what could be causing it?
>>
>>14869504
Sounds like you got something stuck in the vents. The high speed may push it against the vent wall so it can't flap. Did you have anything on the dash that could have fell in the defrost vents?
>>
>>14869872
I don't keep anything on my dash, but this problem has been around since I bought the car from the previous owner. The vent cover for the defrost had a tab missing so it would never sit right, so given your hypothesis it wounds possible. Definitely worth looking into. How would you recommend removing such an obstruction? Just stick a vaccuum hose down and see if anything gets sucked up?
>>
>>14869504
probably something in with your blower motor and rubbing against the cage. Had a similar noise in my truck and pulled out a shit ton of dried leaves and a plastic bag that somehow got sucked in there. Cleaned that shit all up and noise gone. Depending on where your blower motor is, this is either 15 minutes of work or a fucking aneurysm from hanging upside for hours on end taking apart half your interior
>>
>>14869927
Vacuum hose might get it with the a/c on. Other than that you're gonna have to start taking the dash apart to get to the vents.
>>
>>14869995
>>14870000
Damn, I guess I'll hope that this falls under the easier of the solutions. Thanks for the help and nice 0's to the latter post.
>>
File: 4agedistributor.png (398 KB, 1172x1284) Image search: [Google]
4agedistributor.png
398 KB, 1172x1284
Fug. Do I have to place spark plug cords into the distributor with the leads connected to the battery for it to sense something? I know the firing order is 1-3-4-2 and each lead is connected to the proper position on the dizzy cap, but does it make a difference what physical order I go about connecting the leads and distributor connector? I did it all with nothing connected to the battery.

I set the the engine to TDC, the little groove on the camshaft was pointing up, and tried to insert the distributor with the little whirly thing on the shaft pointing towards cylinder one. Like, I don't think I can even set the timing right now because of how shit it runs. Sounds like a weak tractor and drops idle.

My fucking god. All I wanted to do was replace the starter wire clip that broke.
>>
File: 1406492033473.jpg (171 KB, 1109x721) Image search: [Google]
1406492033473.jpg
171 KB, 1109x721
>>14871038
The one issue I can think of is that I didn't have the bolts centered in the flanges when I installed it. The left bolt was somewhat higher up and the right bolt was almost all the way down, but that was the only position that the I could insert it into with the driven gear lined up with the housing.

Gonna try to catch it in a different position I guess and see what happens.
>>
>>14871038
>>14871093
are you 100% sure you hooked up the leads correctly? see if you can find a picture of cap the same car as yours and start by checking against that, or if you can find a diagram of the cap that might tell you. otherwise you can pull the cap off and look inside at the routing.

either that or if you shifted the position of the distributor you may have changed the timing.
>>
I want to get a 2016 camaro ss but my friend says if I get a civic, he can mod it so it does 0-60 in 3.5 and the quarter in 11. He currently owns a mustang, what should I do?
>>
>Replace all four struts/springs with used but upgraded suspension
>3 corners sit at 2in from fender to tire
>1 sits at 3in
It's the last one I changed, so could there be a settling time or something? I doubt the other three struts are blown because it feels so much better in the corners than my original setup
>>
My foxbody mustang has been shocking me lately when I get out and touch the metal door. Almost like a static shock. And one headlight and radio and windows sometimes don't work. Do I have an electrical short somewhere? Should I upgrade my alternator even if I'm not planning to get subs or anything?
>>
How hard is it to re-gear your own differential?
I have the tools for it but everyone makes it out to be this terribly hard thing.
>>
I think I'm going to be putting a Borg-Warner Super T10 in my 97 Camaro. I haven't bought anything yet but I've been trying to figure out what to do for a clutch linkage? Could I maybe get the pedals and linkage out of a turd gen and have that work?
>>
>>14871195
If it's only one headlight then it can't be your alternator, maybe some wiring somewhere along the line is bad. If it's only shocking you when you get out then maybe you've been rubbing your ass on the seat too much and it's built up a static charge?
>>
>>14871129
You could do the same with a camaro.
>>
How do I know how much torque I'm applying while fastening nuts/bolts? Aside from charts is there a way to eyeball how much torque something needs to be fastened properly?
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (10 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
10 KB, 300x225
>>14871451
You could buy a torque bar wrench. Very helpful.
>>
My car lurches kind of bad in first and second gear, and pretty noticeably but not quite as jarring at 3rd-5th at high RPM.
It's my first standard transmission and I dunno if that's normal but it seems like it shouldn't be that rough. Is lurching normal with a standard?
Also when the car is cold, the first time I shift into third it's kind of grindy, but it doesn't do it again. I've had the car about 3 months and I didn't notice it during the test drive (because I'm an idiot) but it hasn't gotten any worse.
>>
>>14871472
Thanks.

Now I'm going to be wondering how they work internally all night now.
>>
>>14871451
If you've been wrenching long enough to know you can apply Güdentite on the bolt.
>>
>>14871490
As for your lurching its hard to say without knowing what your car is, but would sound like you havent mastered clutch control.

As for notchy shifting at cold its becuase the gears and synchros havent heated up enough to open the tolerances, making it harder to shift.
>>
>>14871518
Wondering how beam torque wrenches work?

Holy crap how long have you been working on a car?
>>
>>14871553
No how the needle moves while applying force.
Also never. Just came up in a conversation and then I was wondering.
>>
>>14871546
It's an 04 Celica GT. I mean I don't think it's a clutch problem because if I'm just cruising in 5th and let off the gas it kind of lurches, but in first and second it's really jarring, like I can feel the car rock. I'm no mechanic but the best I can describe it is like letting off the gas causes the flywheel to come to slow down really abruptly. It's about the same sensation as tapping the brakes really hard.
>>
someone sideswiped my parked car last night.. didn't do a whole lot of damage other than cosmetic.. how can i best get the attacker car's paint off mine?
>>
hey /o/ i've had the same 93 toyota camry for about 9 years now.

aside from replacing hoses, belts, pads and filters, how many more miles can i put on this thing before it dies? its at 170k right now.
>>
Can you get a decent convertible for around 12k US that has around 60-70k miles?
>>
>>14871567
From wikipedia:

"The simplest form of torque wrench consists of a long lever arm between the handle and the wrench head, made of a material which bends elastically in response to applied torque. The deflection at the handle is proportional to the applied torque and material constants of the cantilever arm. A second, smaller bar with integral mechanical indicator is also connected to the head; this is never subjected to torque and thus maintains a constant position with respect to the head. When no torque is applied to the lever arm the indicator rests parallel to the lever arm. A calibrated scale is fitted to the handle so that applied torque, and the associated deflection scaled as torque of the main lever, causes the scale to move under the indicator. When the desired torque is reached (as shown by the indicator), the operator stops applying force."

Basically the amount you can move it has been calibrated and the more torque applied the farther the main shaft deviates.
>>
>>14871546
>>14871490

could be clutch control.. could also be a worn or loose clutch.. bleed the lines
>>
>>14871594
>let off the gas it kind of lurches
Is this your first manual car?
What you're feeling is the full force of engine breaking. The effect is stronger at higher RPMs. It's much more noticeable than engine breaking in an auto
>>
File: 1321651654.jpg (36 KB, 704x400) Image search: [Google]
1321651654.jpg
36 KB, 704x400
>>14871610
I appreciate this. I really do. Just just have to see it for myself in person to understand it.
>>
>>14871643
Ok that's what I thought it might be but I wasn't sure.
It's a Toyota with less than 150k miles so I have a hard time believing it would already be having transmission issues, and the fact that I got it from a dealership for $900 below book value didn't help alleviate my concerns, but I was paranoid about getting a used car with a bad trans so I assumed the worst but it hasn't gotten worse since I got it. So I'm okay now. Thanks lad.
>>
i have a 2005 dodge neon to learn manual on, everytime it gets hot out it gets really hard to shift into gear sometimes i have to use 2 hands, but only happens once its hot out.
>>
>>14871761
change the gear oil
>>
This is cheap, right? http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/5539771932.html
>>
>>14871327
Maybe actually. I'm thinking I'll take the radio to a shop and ask them to just fix it I'm tired of dealing with it. How do I identify bad wires?
>>
Name a car that
>Has decent gas mileage
>handles well in snow and freezing rain
>is low maintenance
>can be found for $6000 burger bucks or less
>automatic transmission
>isn't on the sticky
The only one i can think of off the top of my head is Subaru outback.
>>
>>14872622
Outback actually is on the sticky, so I disqualified my own suggestion.
>>
File: 3326wd0.jpg (104 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
3326wd0.jpg
104 KB, 1280x960
Anyone have experience with removing rubber windscreen trim? I've got a sw20 with rust coming up around the edges of the windscreen. Can't get to it without removing the trim.
Fucking useless glass repair man from 10 years ago, I hate you.
>>
>>14872622
10 corollas
>>
Could you fit a GT-R's V6 into a 370z?
>>
File: 1412489421828.png (416 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1412489421828.png
416 KB, 550x550
I'm looking to buy a good quality floor jack, what's something easy to find in Canada land?
>>
>>14873002
Any specific reason for a 2010?
>>
>>14873433

Can Tire usually has good deals in their weekly flyers, might be able to get a better deal at Princess Auto if one is closer, check Kijiji in your area...
>>
File: 300zx.jpg (4 MB, 2000x1801) Image search: [Google]
300zx.jpg
4 MB, 2000x1801
/o/, you know y'all my niggas, help another nigga out here.
I'm looking at this 86 300zx. The dude wants $1500 for it. It's in the most clean one around here I've seen so far. It has

102k miles on it. However it's the non-turbo model with only two seats. It needs the passenger window and rear driver side

wheel bearing replaced. I imagine I could replace the window easy enough, but I assume I would need a mechanic to do the

wheel bearing. The current owner said he has the parts for the wheel bearing already. There also seems to be a some minor

electric issues as far as he told me. Something along the lines of the alarm going off at certain conditions, I think one

of them was at a certain incline and load, and I guess there is some woman that speaks to you but depending on the incline

it won't happen. I'm not too sure the cost to fix those are. I also noticed it seems to have an aftermarket intake on it,

so I can only image what it might have been through beforehand. I don't really trust a lot of aftermarket mods. It could

use a paint touch up, needs new tires, a radio, and needs some cleaning inside.

So all my questions are...
>should I dump 1.5k on this and get it, clean up and have it as a second car
>and if so, is it a good idea to get rid fo that intake

Or I could dump $8000 into an 85 Porsche 944 with 72k miles on it being sold by a dealer. It's black, and seems to be the

base model as well. Also looks like it might have had a bit of modding to it due to an extra guage, but someone might have

just put on an extra guage.

Or should I just keep looking? I see plenty of Miatas around, just not so sure if I want one. I like the 300zx a lot more,

but have a feeling it might not be too great of an idea.

What do you guys think?
>pics related
https://diigo.com/08il6g
>VIN
>someone ran it back in January
Scary. Hope it's not the same guy.

I might make my own thread, but thought I would try this thread first.
>>
>>14875714
buy the z
your choice on the intake
>>
>>14876573
Does the intake give an benefits?
>>
>>14875714
Oklahomo pls go.
Where you from faggot? Don't say anywhere north of Edmond or south of Normand pls.
>>
>>14876685
>how does this guy where I live
>oh yeah, the license plate

>Normand
Why do you ask either of those cities though? Are you from either of those places?
>>
>>14876726
Because anything south of Normand is nowhere USA or military trash and anywhere north of Edmond is nowhere or that place to see concerts and get culturally enhanced called Tulsa.
>>
>>14876778
Oh, I see what you are talking about now. You have a point. Most of the population is in the middle and you could say those are the North and South points. Still, there's some interesting places around the state outside of the metro. Tulsa is pretty nice.
Also there's no D in Norman.

Where are you from anon?
>>
File: GooseNeck1.jpg (43 KB, 800x198) Image search: [Google]
GooseNeck1.jpg
43 KB, 800x198
So I just got my first ticket after ten years of being on the road for a California stop at an empty intersection.

I'm in Alaska and I've read that you can most likely get your first ticket dismissed if you agree to pay the fine and take a defensive driving course.

My question is when I send in the ticket what box do I check? I can plead no contest and pay online, not guilty or the third box which is to have a judge explain my rights to me. I'm assuming box three since I'm not really contesting it?
>>
>>14876811
I put alot of D in Norman when I lived OKC. I also apparently can't spell today. Grew up around NW 50th to NW 122nd in OKC. Also spent some time in the godless hell that is Chickasha.

>TFW you spent your childhood dreaming of getting out of the Oklahoma only to realize that there are worse places after you moved away.
I have to come back.
>>
>>14876830
I assume you plead no contest in this kind of situation. Where did you read this from however?

>>14876836
>I put a lot of D in Norman
Clever anon, I like that. Ah, so the NW side of OKC. Yeah I've spent most my life there too, but in Edmond currently. I probably want to move outside of the metro either. Some interesting places to go to, not so fun to live in.

Where are you living now? Oklahoma is my home, but I'll probably have to move out once I graduate college. Would be a nice change of pace too. Just got to find a good state with no emissions test shit like Oklahoma.
>>
File: 1454176644450.webm (370 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1454176644450.webm
370 KB, 960x720
>>14876912
The court webpage so it I don't doubt I can do it. But it says I need to see a judge for it to be a possibility. I just don't know if I need to plead not guilty or have my rights explained because both of those will get me in front of a judge. The rights explained option the says it's not actually a trial, so I don't know if that means he wouldn't be able to make a judgement or accept a plea
>>
>>14876912
I fucked up and moved to Jew Orleans. I could live like a fucking god king in OKC for what property cost here. Also car scene is very shitty. I've been looking for a fucking MR2, RX7, or Fox body for 5 months now. It's a waste land.
>>
>>14876944
You're looking for it not to go on your record so it won't fuck with your insurance, right?

>>14876962
Must still be a fun place to visit. I can imagine the property costs.
It's not too different here in Oklahoma. Though I've seen MR2s before, and RX8s but not 7s. I think I saw a Fox body once, but it was expensive.
>>
File: rally_chase.webm (455 KB, 460x258) Image search: [Google]
rally_chase.webm
455 KB, 460x258
>>14877005
Yeah I don't want my rates to go up. In Washington were I used to be that had an option for a mitigation hearing where you could defer the ticket. I'm just wondering what the equivalent option is in Alaska. Do I just contest it and then ask for a plea?
>>
>>14877028
I can't be of help as I don't live in Alaska, so I would try to call the court or the DMV about this. They should have the answer on this issue. Ask them about the information you read on the website, and ask them what you're asking here.

Though maybe with some luck, a fellow Alaskan resident will happen to see your question and be able to give you the answer.
>>
>>14875211
Thanks

Anyone know what brands to stay away from? Does price generally equal quality or is it not a good indicator?
>>
File: 635652711421144697[1].jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
635652711421144697[1].jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>14875714
Porsche for comparison.
>>
Oklahoma here as well I've been looking at a Subaru up in sandsprings
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/5531396955.html what do you guys think 156k never had a Subaru before I've been loyal to the 95 celicas since I could drive
>>
File: 20150801_171236.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20150801_171236.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>14877389
You're in luck fellow Oklahoman, my normal DD is a 07 Impreza.
Checking the price on NADA and seeing how clean it is, it's decently priced so far. I still think the dealer should go a tad lower.
Problem is you want to know if the headgasket has any been replaced on it, but the dealer probably won't know or tell you. Hopefully there's service records. You can also look up on ways to detect a blown headgasket. Easiest sign is to see if the oil from the dip stick is milky or not. Or if you're crazy enough you can taste it to see if it's sweet at all. Since most the time when a headgasket blows the coolant mixes in and since coolant is sweet tasting then you'll know.
But I ended up buying a Subbie that has bad compression rings, or valve guides, or O rings. Testing for that instead easy.
Also it being an automatic with over 150k mileage, you want to find out if the fluids for the tranny have ever been replaced. If not, don't go near it.
>>
File: 2slow_2furious.png (3 MB, 1672x939) Image search: [Google]
2slow_2furious.png
3 MB, 1672x939
>>14872622
1998-2000 Toyota RAV4.
Get the 4D and preferably one with leather seats.The coupes are garbage in my opinion, if you can even find one.

I had a 1998. Picture related for proof.

The only flaw it has is that it's extremely slow. You can press the gas pedal down all the way and nothing will happen. Nothing changes. It's so slow. And it doesn't go above 70 very well. The higher you go above 70 the more violently it starts shaking and it just redlines.

I sold it because of how slow it was. That's how bad it was for me. However, if you're not a speed demon, you'll be happy with it. It's a cute little car. Never had problems with it. And it gets the job done very well.

I don't remember what I sold mine for, but it wasn't more than $4,000 I don't believe. However, mine was in excellent condition. You'll see a lot of them sitting on craiglist at a really high price (imo) and they'll show you the KBB thing, but ignore that. They're not worth that much. No matter what anyone says. You can get one for cheaper. I'd say with $6,000 you'll be fine and will probably have a good chunk left over.

I'd also suggest that no one take advice from anyone that doesn't post a picture as proof that they owned the car they recommend... As they don't know what they're talking about and probably just heard it on a forum somewhere.
>>
are all straight cut gearboxes unsynchronized? or just big truck ones?
>>
why can't I buy regenerative shocks yet?

in 2009 I was promised shocks with a longer lifespan that will generate electricity while I drive. what the fuck went wrong? it's not like this is a flying car, it's just some fucking copper coils
>>
Do i need to downshift to pass someone?
Is that bad for the engine?
>>
>>14878254
you dont HAVE to but if you WANT to thats fine. just dont suck at it. its also hard on the engine if you try too hard to pass someone while in too low a gear, like near idle rpms
>>
how fucked could i get if I registered a vehicle in a different state to avoid the insane insurance rates where I live? I live near the border and half the plates I see are from the state where I'm planning to register my next car
>>
File: goodbyehorses.jpg (40 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
goodbyehorses.jpg
40 KB, 800x600
>>14871645
>be non- ratcheting wrench
>be made of two metal bars, a head, a gauge, and a handle
>one bar connects head to handle and has gauge mounted on it
>other bar is connected to head, and positioned to free float above gauge
>when force is applied to handle
>force exerted is displayed by free floating arm on gauge
>>14878124
>2016
>copper still so valuable tweakers steal it
keep holding your breath anon

>>14878645
not very unless they found out then
>worst case: fraud
But I live near the Oregon border in Catalytifornia and lots of people do this to get around smog tests
>>
>>14878817
There's a hydraulic method that uses less copper, but it's still not in production. Fuck these lazy ass cunts.
>>
>>14878909
fund them
>>
File: 1457230203504.jpg (51 KB, 400x323) Image search: [Google]
1457230203504.jpg
51 KB, 400x323
Should I have replaced the gasket if I took off the exhaust manifold? Could this cause the engine to not hold an idle?
>>
File: 1423695469795.jpg (53 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1423695469795.jpg
53 KB, 249x249
Does a vin check give you anything a carfax doesn't?
>>
>>14879525
What do you mean? Are you talking about AutoCheck vs CarFax?
>>
>>14879567
I'm talking about this >>14869303
vs carfax
>>
Is there a secret to applying decals on a curve without scrunching it up and ruining the sticker?
>>
>>14879650
I assume you can apply decals just like clear bras
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vPbwez1kk
>>
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and buying a new 2016 WRX. It would be my first new car. Currently i'm driving an 05 Jeep TJ. Does anybody here have a 2016 WRX? What do you think of it? Does anybody hate the 2016 WRX, if so, why?
>>
File: IMG_20160418_194616.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160418_194616.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
I'm at a loss here. Removing my rear shocks from a c3 corvette. I got the lower side out, but the upper side won't seem to budge. There's a bolt that goes all the way through to the other side, had a but on it, and a retainer washer that came out when I took the nut off. I can't get the bolt to come out. I turn it and it all spins freely. Do I just need a good pair of pliers and pull it out? The bolt doesn't really seem to want to move though.
>>
>>14879690
And I'm not sure if that silver part just left of the head of the bolt, on the inside, is part of the bolt or something else. Spinning the bolt has that silver part turn with it. It doesn't appear to be another retainer as its completely around the bolt, no openings.
>>
File: YjHKS1Q[1].jpg (831 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
YjHKS1Q[1].jpg
831 KB, 2592x1944
So I noticed today, with it being one of the first hot days of the year, that the car I bought during the winter runs insanely better when it's hot. I've always let it warm up when it was cold before driving, so it's not about the engine's internal temperature. But today I noticed that the car had better acceleration and was more responsive

Is this normal? I thought cold air was meant to help with performance (see cold air intake meme.) My car has a carburated v8 if that makes any difference
>>
>>14879715
What temp differences is your car driving in?
>>
>>14879679
i think only 2017s are available for order now so aim for that if you dont mind the wait
>>
>>14879690
Use a prybar at the threaded end to push the bolt out while turning the head as if you were unscrewing it
>>
>>14879807
Today it was 80F when before it was around 40-50F
>>
>>14879852
The threaded side is against what is basically plastic/fiberglass, but maybe small pressure might work.

>>14879857
Hmm, it could be a multitude of things. Older carbs (50's- early/mid 70's) are not good at adapting to changes on their own(temperate, altitude, etc). Some computer controlled carbs would do better, but those are more rare. I'd say if its not hurting anything, leave it be. Carbs can be fickle things, very small pieces that can wear out and such. You could do a full rebuild of the thing, but that can be difficult for a first time.
>>
>>14879852
Actually a small c-clamp type thing might work. I appreciate the feedback though
>>
>>14879715
Also, the cold air doesn't need to be what humans would consider cold. Anything below 80 degrees would be fine.
>>
Dumb question:

(I have a dual clutch semi-auto transmission)

I'm curious how clutches work. I think of the clutches as gears, and when they are engaged, the gears turn together, when they aren't, they're spinning at different speeds. In a manual car, I engage the clutch, and if I don't rev-match, I burn the clutch, makes a horrible sound, etc.

Now in my car, when I engage the gear under torque, I hear and feel slipping, and feel a bit of power loss. So I guess my question is: what exactly is a clutch plate, what does it do, and how does the slipping happen? I expected the slipping to be the gears in the transmission, but I've been told it's a clutch plate pressure issue, which I just don't understand at all.

Please explain to me like I'm literally a braindead retard.
>>
>>14879898
I'm not sure if the carb is fully controlled by a computer or not, but I know it has an electric choke with a throttle valve going to the transmission (iirc what the guy told me on here a few months ago)

Car has no miles on it and still drives fine, but it seemed really sluggish before today. Going uphill meant I was going to drop to 30mph but today I was actually able to pass someone at 55 going up a steep hill
>>
>>14879932
What are you driving/what year? Any idea what the carb is? Last time its been serviced?

I'd say it could be a multitude of things, maybe not just the carb. Little things like fuel filter, air filter, etc. But I'm pretty bad at diagnosing those sorts of things, so really it depends on your vehicle. If you don't know the last time things were serviced on your car besides the oil, small things would be a good place to start, if its within your budget and goals of the car.
>>
>>14879616
Well technically Benz just runs the VIN through AutoCheck, so it is still essentially AutoCheck vs CarFax.

No, not really. CarFax tends to give you more info in the form of service records. However it's 5 times as expensive for just one report. If you can get CarFax reports you don't really need AutoCheck reports necessarily. However I would still do so as sometimes one or the other has a piece of information the other one doesn't seem to get.

For example, I've seen AutoCheck reports give accident reports where the CarFax reported nothing and vice versa.
>>
>>14879948
It's an 86 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, 4 barrel carb. No idea when it was serviced last if at all. I changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter the night I bought it. And the car still gets gas when it's cold and can still hit higher RPMs, but the power isn't there.

Once I get the funds to I plan on doing the plugs, hopefully that makes a difference. The car's also sat for 20-25 years of its 30 year life
>>
My (cable) shifter+modern synchronized trans makes a buzzing noise if you go into fifth with any amount of speed. It's louder if you skip fourth. The noise is most audible within the car.

Should I take it to a mechanic or not even bother? I can't find anyone who will just tell me what's wrong with it for free and I hate spending money because I'm literally jewish.
>>
How do I restore my headlights?
>>
>>14879993
Nice find. I'd say continue to do little maintenance things. If your issues don't clear up then maybe look at carb work. But if its sat for as long as you said it has, I bet its just something little.
>>
>>14880010
Depends on what needs restore. Exterior is fairly easy, you can get polish/paste, give them a scrub/polish, and you'll see a remarkable improvement. If you have condensation or some interior discoloration, you'll have to open them up. Depending on what headlights you have, maybe they have gaskets and screws, maybe they're glued, maybe maybe maybe, the list goes on. Try an exterior restoration product, and if that doesn't work, stick 'em in the oven.
>>
>>14866263
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new headunit for a 1995 Acura Integra, preferably one with USB support.
I kind of don't know what I'm looking for here, would I be able to buy a headunit and just plug it in? What would I need to replace?
I'm stuck with the stock radio right now and my antennae didn't come with the car when I bought it, so getting signal is difficult.
>>
>>14880044
Is there something special I need to know about polishing and scrubbing them? I assume there is special chemicals for this? I've heard of using toothpaste before, but I'm not so sure about that.
>>
>>14880087
Go to any auto parts store and pick up 1 or 2 polishes. They should be <$10. Get one with a more abrasive grit, and 1 with a smoother grit. Hand polish with a polishing bad. Honestly, it's hard to fuck this up. I'd skip the toothpaste.
>>
>>14880087
Took about 2-3 months for mine to fade back to yellow after using the Meguiar's kit. Shit had a UV protectant even.
>>
>>14866263
what's a good mounting dealie-thing for an Iphone 5C?
would prefer clamps if possible, not magnetic.
>>
>>14880108
At that point, I'd look at some sealants. I don't know what's out there in terms of sealant, but anything clear (glass?) would work. I believe there are spray-sealants. I'd do 2-3 light coats. If you're done it a couple times and it's still wearing, it's like due to the plastic eroding. You're not going to be able to sand/polish it for a good (long term) result.
>>
MX5 NBFL, suddenly all electricity dead (after sitting a few days). The battery is still full, there just doesn't get anything out of it into the car.

Anyone got an idea what that might be?
>>
>>14880099
>>14880108
>>14880132
Can I just use good old hand power, or should I get one of those rotary tools?
>>
>>14880137
I'd start by cleaning your terminals, there could be a lot of different answers. If the battery is full and no power is getting to the ignition, trace the path. I'd check the leads coming from the battery, and trace it as far back as you can.
>>
>>14880142
On headlights hand polish. For paint, rotary polish. For wax, hand apply.

I'd spend 30 minutes on each headlight. Start with the more abrasive polish. Tape off half the headlight or so, and work on this half first, and go at it in a circular motion, being sure to give equal attention to each section. Wipe it down. Move to the less abrasive polish, do the entire half of the headlight again, and then wipe off and rinse with water. Take the tape off and you'll see a great improvement. Tape trick is simply to see your progress. If the results are lackluster, I'd go back to the abrasive polish, and give it some more work. The second polish is more for shine than actually removing material (on a microscopic level.)
>>
>>14880152
All right, got it all down. Thanks you and all other anons for the help.

They look a bit dirty, so been looking to get them clean.
>>
>>14880160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOKmZ9mMfc
>>
I'm trying to finance a used vehicle from a dealership. The finances and insurance have gone through, but they told me they have to wait for the title? Why would they need to wait? It's been a week.
>>
http://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/5539391350.html
Aside from the obvious damage on the drivers side, and the totally different mileage between the photo and listing, what could go wrong?
>>
Would anyone on /o/ take the risk of buying a car with a burnt out catalytic converter if they got the price knocked down accordingly?
>>
File: o-auto.jpg (49 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
o-auto.jpg
49 KB, 720x540
Was RF car layout ever made?
Google gives me nothing.
I'm probably asking the wrong questions though.
If no, would it be feasible and why?
>>
File: bfff4067cd1bf975562d1cd6f82.jpg (38 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
bfff4067cd1bf975562d1cd6f82.jpg
38 KB, 640x427
>>14866263

2001 Ford Escape, 57,400 miles, I know nothing about cars. Is it reliable enough? A well known mechanical nightmare? Like I said I know nothing and someitmes you found out a well liked and commonly bought car is known for breaking down and having issues
>>
>>14880638
Run
>>
Considering upgrading the speakers in my car, which brands/models have the best value at each price range?
>>
>>14881755
>Was RF car layout ever made?
To my knowledge, no.

>If no, would it be feasible and why?
RF layout would combine the worst aspects of various drivetrains:
-like a FR truck with little to no weight on drive wheels RF car would be next to impossible to get moving in slippery conditions
-if you'd actually get it moving it would lose traction on drive wheels while accelerating (like all FWD cars do)
-the handling quirks of rear-engined cars would still be there and made worse with FWD cars inability to corner and accelerate well at the same time
-on top of above you'd still have the rear-heavy cars tendency for lift-off oversteer while lifting off mid-corner or on poorly timed braking
>>
Is there a significant difference between motor oil brands/types? Can I just buy the cheapest certified w5-30 and call it a day?
>>
>'97 dodge neon, 60k miles
>I'm shit at cars
Gauges are all fucked, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. There's 3 things they do. Work perfectly, sit at 0, or the speedometer fluctuates. Whether that's +- 5 or going from 0 - [current speed] constantly. Worked fine until I got an oil change from <insert local car wash/oil change shop> a couple weeks ago. Not necessarily blaming them but they did say they replaced some light or something. It was like $5 so I assumed it was basically just a "stupid tax" and said sure.
What do?
>>
>>14880129
>>14880081

pls respond.
>>
Is this a fair deal?
Would appreciate some insight, thanks.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5513002331.html
>>
Bump (your door in a parking garage)
>>
I know ebay turbo kits are generally awful, but is it just the turbo that sucks? Would I be fine to sell the turbo that comes with it and buy an old Subaru turbo or something, and then use the ebay manifold and shit? 05 lancer btw
>>
>>14885487
Just buy a better car.
>>
>>14880081
It's easy af dude, just buy the proper adapter for your car, match the same colored wires on the new radio to the adapter, then it will plug in. If you are near San Antonio/Houston I'll help you.
>>
>>14885590
Just going to post my question in this thread too just in case that thread dies before it gets answer.

I don't know shit about engine swapping, except that it's not as easy as just literally changing the engines sometimes.
>>
When I go through a car wash some water gets on one of the battery terminals.

I'm guessing this is a bad thing?
>>
What do you guys think the price of a 02 Firebird Formula trim with 133k should be?
>>
>>14885935
It can cause corrosion of the battery connections.
>>
My wheels (?) in my VW Jetta make a knocking/ticking noise that goes away under braking. I've recently upgraded my wheels from stock 205/60/15 to 245/65/17. Didn't notice the noise until after the change. What's going on?
>>
how do you use MMO to deal with lifter tick? Should I just pour in around half a quart on top of the oil I already have, drive around at low speed / rpm for about an hour, and then come back and immediately drain the oil / refill it?
>>
What are the general consensus on the 4th generation MX-5s? Saw one at the dealership the other day and they look pretty nice.
>>
Hey /o/, /tg/ here.

What car would you consider "stealthy", thematically speaking?
>>
File: 1457545488158.gif (151 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1457545488158.gif
151 KB, 720x405
Does anyone here go to vehicle auctions or know much about them?

I hear there are good deals, but also that you need to be a car dealer to go to them
>>
I just bought a 2009 Subaru Impreza outback sport, how can I remove the speed limiter?
>>
>>14887222
swap ls engine in
>>
>>14866263
If a car that is known for head-gaskets has a fucked head gasket should I just consider the car scrap metal? Apparently the head-gasket on my first car is kaput, and the engine is well known for it. Should I cut my losses and get another car?
>>
File: 1403366713372.png (490 KB, 1280x709) Image search: [Google]
1403366713372.png
490 KB, 1280x709
My car handles like shit and the body rolls really far in any corner. It has 120kmiles. Should I replace the shocks and struts?

I also noticed the stabilizer bar bushings are warn and the bars can both be moved front and rear. Would replacing the mounts or links make a noticeable difference?
>>
>>14887746
100k miles is where most suspension components break down, so you probably need a a whole suspension refresh. Shocks springs, bushings control arms ball joints etc.

If you want to eliminate body roll completely get a good set of coilovers to replace your shocks and springs.
>>
>>14887714
If you can't do the work yourself then yes the car may as well be scrap.

Either scrap the car or sell it.
>>
>>14887222
Have it tuned
>>
>>14887147
>Thematically

Nigga where the fuck do you think you are? /lit/?

Depends on what you mean by stealthy, to most here, the word sleeper comes to mind.
>>
File: 1349662004914.jpg (321 KB, 526x872) Image search: [Google]
1349662004914.jpg
321 KB, 526x872
>>14887793

Thanks
>>
>>14887796
I can do the work no problems. I'm just wondering if things like head gaskets going means the car is total junk/problem city from that point onwards, wrenching is a non-issue.
>>
>>14887818
Often cars that have shitty designs from the factory have aftermarket parts that can solve the problem.
>>
>>14887827
Yeah I've been reading up and apparently the factory gaskets have been totally redesigned which rectifies the issue, yet the common internet consensus is that they still annihilate them. Probably a stigma? I just don't want my car to be a dud, I'm totally in love with it.
>>
>>14887849
Well I can't make that decision for you, but what I can tell you is that If it were me I would attempt to fix it, and if it still blows after that then give up on it
>>
>>14868879
Every single craigslist article I hate has this quote in it.
>>
I will be getting a job this summer that requires a four door vehicle. I can spend around 30k, and I'm looking for a sporty, but comfy and reliable vehicle. Would getting a 2013ish audi s4 or a6 be stupid? How bad is the maintenance REALLY? Was also considering a lexus is or GS too because it's better if the car is nice to ride in.
>>
Is there anyway to check if the low fuel light is working minus running the fuel down to the bare minimum? I drive a 93 Celica GT and I feel like my milage is not where it should be. It goes to about 325ish before it reads on E but the light never comes on.
>>
I've got a mitsubishi 3000gt with clutch and transmission issues, nigger-rigged wiring, and basically everything is worn out or leaking. This car has caused me nothing but pain and suffering.

My roommate thinks I'm an idiot for not selling it cheap. My parents think I'm an idiot for even thinking of selling it for less than a grand. No matter what i do, I'm getting chewed out by someone. Can someone please give me some advice?
>>
File: 1449194875080.png (176 KB, 727x524) Image search: [Google]
1449194875080.png
176 KB, 727x524
>>14883124
yes and no.

Cheap oil is roughly the same as expensive oil if it has the same API rating on the bottle.
>SAE grades oil viscosity, API grades quality
>gas engines: SJ, SL, SM, SN
>diesel: CH-4, CI-4, CI-4 PLUS and CJ-4
The rating indicates the chemical makeup of the oil
>The API sets minimum for performance standards for lubricants. Motor oil is used for the lubrication, cooling, and cleaning of internal combustion engines. Motor oil may be composed of a lubricant base stock only in the case of non-detergent oil, or a lubricant base stock plus additives to improve the oil's detergency, extreme pressure performance, and ability to inhibit corrosion of engine parts.

>main additive difference is phosphorous content
>which helps keep oil wear down
>but damages modern cats
tl:dr- unless you have an old vehicle you should be able to throw any oil of the correct weight in there as long as it's got a good API certification

>>14886198
Have you checked the tire tread for rocks and gravel?

>>14888861
>mfw someone owns an audi
>mfw someone buys something from VAG
nope.

>>14888898
Just the dashboard bulb? it should come on with all the other warning lights when you turn the key from accessory to on when it's off.
>doesn't come on it's broken

>bad MPGs
give it a tuneup; new spark plugs, new plug wires, new distributor cap and rotor, new air filter, new gas filter
>>
File: 1452156413715.jpg (107 KB, 500x637) Image search: [Google]
1452156413715.jpg
107 KB, 500x637
>>14888993
>$900 OBO
you win both ways, tell ur dumb roomie that if they can't haggle they gotta pay, and tell your parents that people buy more stuff at $0.99 than $1.00

>good luck that shit is worth scrap value
>>
>>14889025
Thank you anon. I'm still going to try and get it moving before i sell it. I might be able to get some extra money out of it through an insurance claim that I've been putting off, but it needs to be taken to a body shop for a repair quote first.
>>
File: 1439846038145.jpg (12 KB, 250x318) Image search: [Google]
1439846038145.jpg
12 KB, 250x318
>>14889041
>need to get body work done

>assuming it's a hatchback
you don't have a lot of room to work with to make it good, a clean working one starts at $2k
http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/3000gt/

>be potential buyer
>want fly whip to hoon
>no $$$ but exp with mitsus
>see horrorbucket 3000gt, $900 obo
>beat to fuck, everything broken, damaged body
>I would immediately lowball for half price.
vs
>exact scenario except body isn't damaged
>still not gonna offer more than $6-700
so basically if your out of pocket expenses are gonna be more than $300 forget it.
>>
>>14889070
I'll keep that in mind. What I'm hopingfor is that the insurance company will take that repair quote and just send me a fat check in the mail. I should have mentioned, i have no intention of fixing the body if i can simply get the insurance money. That will end up going towards a new car. I seriously appreciate the advice, i don't trust my roommate with my car anymore and i don't think my parents' price is realistic.
>>
I bought a fairly old car, but in good condition. I do need to do some things, but I have had some problems. My question is, will dealers "deal" with 20+ year old cars? If I call or walk into my local volvo dealer can they help me with some things, or will they tell me to leave and they can't help me?
>>
>>14889507
You mean work on them? Most dealerships but you will pay out the ass for it.

Find a good Indy or do the work yourself
>>
>>14889542
I mean help me with a few things, there's a check engine light that doesn't have any codes for example, I've heard that it's because of manufacturer specific codes.
>>
>>14889542
Also my dad's friend who works at a car dealer knows a guy who worked on these cars in the 90s. Plus there's a shop right across the street, but I go to them way too much and since I'm obviously autistic as fuck I don't want to go to them too much.
>>
If I get a new cat-back exhaust, should I get new gaskets or can I re-use the old ones?
>>
>>14886198
You quite literally installed noise amplifier-tier wheels.
>>
File: volvofarmrunner.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
volvofarmrunner.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14889148
>>14889556
>OBDII CEL on a 20 y/o volvo
>manufacturer specific
choose one

are you sure the "service" or the "abs" light isn't coming on?
>service light: u habent taken me to a dealership in forever, continue to ignore
>ABS: u either have low fluid or your module has finally failed, so no abs for you
>>
File: IMAG0053.jpg (2 MB, 3024x5376) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0053.jpg
2 MB, 3024x5376
Anyone know if I can get some sort of adapter to fit my demister plugs? I just bought a hard top with a semester but the plugs are different
Na miata
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 750x1042) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 750x1042
is this a good deal?
>>
>>14890518
($2500)
>>
>>14890518
who knows, there's no price. free cars are always a great deal.
>>
>>14889833
Elaborate? So the sound I'm hearing is normal, but I wouldn't hear it if it wasn't for my wheels?
>>14889005
>Have you checked the tire tread for rocks and gravel?

Yes, but like I said, the noise only happens when the car is moving. When the brakes are depressed, or the car is not moving, the noise stops.
>>
>>14889787
Use exhaust grade RTV.
>>
>>14890523
>>14890521
sry senpai
>>
File: SCREEEEEEE-WHUMMMMMMMMM.webm (2 MB, 1030x700) Image search: [Google]
SCREEEEEEE-WHUMMMMMMMMM.webm
2 MB, 1030x700
>>14866263
Welp, long story short, water damage on my '05 Civic shitbox.

Water got into the floorboards of the car, didn't touch engine (car was on a backwards slope).

I did the following:
>rented shopvac and got out as much water as I could
>sprayed mold killer/inhibitor on most surfaces
>sprinkled baking soda on carpet and revacuumed
>placed two moisture absorbers in vehicle for now (DampRid)

I can still tell there's moisture below the carpet, and it's still slightly damp.

Most of the smell is gone.

I'm thinking about having a shop that specializes in it do a full replacement. I know I could buy the molded carpet myself for like $120 and do it, not sure what the shop will charge.

Any recommendations on what to do?

Am I fucked if I ever try to sell the car now?
>>
>>14867070
Check your plugs/wires/coils or distributor cap (I'm leaning towards it having coils over a cap). Sounds like you have a skip or a slower idle than what should be.

Also run some sea foam fuel additive. That should help clean injectors and cylinders and plugs.
>>
>>14891468
if you are willing to put in some work, remove all the affected carpet and get them cleaned and dried, then cut out the sound deadening shit and put in some new. that stuff holds moisture and smell like crazy.

if you're lucky your floor carpeting is in sections or halves, but this will prob involve removing your seats and loosening panels
>>
>>14890145
Nope, the "check engine" light is specifically on.
>>
File: attachment.jpg (378 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
attachment.jpg
378 KB, 1400x933
>>14868182

Are they really that bad? I think they look pretty good. Pretty subjective stuff.
>>
How do you do it? How do you decide on what car to buy when you're looking through CL?
Do you go out and see 2-4 cars? More? Before you decide on one?
Are you afraid that someone will buy it before you decide on something?
Is it okay to just take your time and not worry about losing that one you were interested in?
>>
>>14891631
if you like it, you like it. if that's not what you're into, that's fine too.
>>
File: fuck.png (22 KB, 435x622) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
22 KB, 435x622
Im fucked, right? The whole thing needs replacing?
>>
>>14891584
It's one solid molded piece.

I'll probably end up paying a shop if the quote isn't robbery.
>>
>>14890581
Hubs bearings and CV is what I would be checking next.
>>
>>14891776
Detailing shop maybe willing to take all that shit out and clean it.

even it being one molded piece it shouldn't be that difficult to take out.
>>
>>14891726
Yeah.
>>
File: shitty car.jpg (121 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
shitty car.jpg
121 KB, 400x240
Anyone know why they make polish and waxes for dark and light cars? Will it actually look shit if you put a wax recommended for a dark car onto a white car, or light wax onto a black car?

Is it just to make it easier to hide the dried up wax you missed when buffing?
>>
File: FiestaSTphotos-10.jpg (317 KB, 2000x1322) Image search: [Google]
FiestaSTphotos-10.jpg
317 KB, 2000x1322
>>14892707
certain wax bases/oils enhance dark colors/light color ect.
>>
>>14892734
So what happens if I own two cars, one black, one white, and don't fancy buying two of the same product.
>>
Why do people drop crazy amounts of money $20,000-70,000, or higher on car doing aftermarket modifications just go do a 12 second quarter mile?

Do they do it to go fast in a straight line? You can easily buy a motorcycle for $5-7k that will do a 12 second quarter mile stock.

Half of these people on forums aren't even turning their own wrench, so it is not that they like turning wrenches.
>>
File: 1460675449603.png (514 KB, 859x873) Image search: [Google]
1460675449603.png
514 KB, 859x873
>>14891951
Welp. I fucked up.
>>
Hey y'all i really want a hatchback car which do you guys recommend? Gas efficient, and manual trans would be great. And of course not too expensive im in college.
>>
>>14891631
It looks like a whale shark fucked a bull terrier.
>>
>>14892932
radiator is like $100 and is easy as fuck to replace. you are far from fucked.
>>
>>14893318
Yea, I assume it could have been worse. I am paying for my stupidity.
>>
File: IMG_20160421_001803.jpg (313 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160421_001803.jpg
313 KB, 1920x1080
I tried replacing my brake pads this afternoon. Front left went on fine, but the right is having all sorts of fucked problems.

The inner pad isn't sitting right, and jiggles when put in. When I try to put back on the caliper it doesn't line up with the holes for the bolts, and no manner of wiggling it around will get it to fit.

I noticed the metal brackets on the top and bottom that are supposed to fit snug to the pad are bent out of shape, and don't hold the inner pad at all.
>>
>>14893175

tofu machine
>>
im going to use a groupon to get my windows tinted 5 windows for like 70. is the front windshield or rear windshield typically the 5th window?
>>
haynes or chilton?
>>
>>14893442
bend the stainless clip back into shape. It really doesn't do much except provide a surface for the pads to slide on.

The caliper needs to be manhandled on. Try compressing it more if it's not fully compressed already.

Just fuck around with it more and eventually it'll go together right.

Source: I own the same truck
>>
I haven't inspected it yet, mostly because I don't 100% know what to look for, but my truck pulls to one side. I assumed it was the tire and I replaced it. The truck was on a full size spare that was very worn. Now with two decent (and the same) tires on the front and new tires on the back, it still is slightly crooked. When driving, the steering wheel is crooked (but it goes straight) and when braking, the wheel straightens out (but still goes straight). Suspension? It's driving me crazy because it rotates the wheel enough to toggle my blinker off.
>>
>>14892777
>Do they do it to go fast in a straight line?

Why did you make a post just to answer your own question?

Also you'd do well to realize that human behavior typically doesn't follow reason or logic.
>>
>>14894158
Rear probably, front windshield is illegal to tint in some states
>>
>>14894213
Just fucking around with the clips helped, and caliper went right on. However, now I can hear the sound of the disc scraping against the pads at some point during the rotation. It is lessening the more the wheels rotate.
>>
>>14879255
Possibly yes
>>
So, I finally got my first carbureted vehicle. It's a 1981 Ford F100. I just wanted to know if somebody could give me some tips on proper ways to start it up. I'm always paranoid I might be damaging it because Ive never driven anything thing not fuel injected. I'm not really familiar with having to pat the gas pedal or anything. I don't mean to sound weird, I just want to know how to prolong the life of the engine.I have a basic idea, but I have stalled it a couple times before. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
>>
Why do people pump on the gas pedal while reversing/just moving slowly?
>>
File: TC2004GTS-AP.jpg (133 KB, 681x375) Image search: [Google]
TC2004GTS-AP.jpg
133 KB, 681x375
Celicas are still cool, r-right?
>>
>>14866263
I want a dodge challenger because I can finally afford one and my inner child needs a "muscle" car. Prefer to get used with a manual tranny.

anyone have experience?
>>
>>14896621
I love mine and im cool
>>
>>14896621
This generation is an embarrasment to the legacy of the previous generations. I mean, RWD is just so much more in line with the image of the car, not to speak of the AWD GT four, fuckin' beast.

That being said, it's not half a bad car, if you'd get the T-sport (aprox. 190 hp). The FWD setup is a damn insult to the legacy, but it's not bad. Apart from getting the T-sport, do get a facelift though. The older types are very prone to oil leaks and all kinds of shit trouble you don't want to run into. Aside from practical reasons, the facelift edition also looks the part. If it was R/AWD I'd have reconsidered when buying my current car.
>>
What does /o/ think of the Crown Vic

and what kind of mileage should I be looking for
>>
>>14896621
I literally only see mexicans drive these.
>>
>>14892777

if you spend 20k on mods and youre not in the single digits youre an idiot.

google matt happel dude makes 7 second cars with stock bottom end junkyard motors
>>
>>14896825
It's good if you plan to ingest highway miles. Mileage doesn't matter. Maintenance records do.
>>
>>14896896
I mean I drive a truck now so
>>
>>14894158
>>14894589
I don't know of any states where you are actually allowed to tint your windshield.

If it's a shitty tint, it's going to bubble and wave and fuck up your vision.
>>
How long does it generally take to find an acceptable (by whatever your standards happen to be) car on Craigslist?

I've been looking for an '05ish boring 4 door for two months now, still haven't found one I was still interested in after going to take a look at it. Not sure if I'm being too picky or what.
>>
File: 1455297411226.gif (1016 KB, 245x223) Image search: [Google]
1455297411226.gif
1016 KB, 245x223
>>14893327
What did you do?
>>
File: volvorampage.gif (3 MB, 444x436) Image search: [Google]
volvorampage.gif
3 MB, 444x436
>>14891586
>Volvo specific CELs
didn't start happening until 1999.
NA models got OBD II in '96, so those three years a normal scanner will work
>i like the cheap autels off amazon, like $20

https://volvodice.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/how-to-read-understand-volvo-diagnostic-codes/
>this may interest you

>>14891640
>how do? What car get?
look at what is selling in your area within your budget
>my area is flooded with damaged cheap subies and volvos that have seen better days

>how many cars you look at?
you will deal with a lot of bullshit. for me it was about 2 cars and chasing another 6
>those other six were fakes or misrepresented
>don't ever buy impounds from a towing yard

>you afraid they'll sell the vehicle you want?
they will do this on purpose, this is the bullshit I'm talking about
>looking at a VW beetle autostick
>seller asks me to meet him next week
>really? i need a vehicle now but if that's the best you can do all right
>call him the day before, ask where he wants to meet and what time
>mfw "sorry sold it already"

>is okay to just take your time?
yes, but also no. the good deals with competent sellers get snatched up fast, so you really have to troll CL for a while. Always do a VIN check ASAP
>best time for motivated sellers: 6-11 pm
>>
>>14897026
I forgot to check the coolant level on my shitbox and had to drive a couple of miles after I found out that my car was overheating to reach the nearest gas station. Opened hood, steam coming out of that hole.
>>
I just got my first car. It's an automatic. I just wanted to me 100% sure. Do I use 2 for hills, D3 for streets and D4 for the freeway?
>>
>>14897060
Also, is shifting down to D3 bad when coming off the freeway? The car slows down a ton and I'm not sure if I'm fucking up the engine.
>>
File: anti-drift.jpg (180 KB, 1456x1056) Image search: [Google]
anti-drift.jpg
180 KB, 1456x1056
>>14897060
>>14897096
>not reading the owners manual
it's an automatic, just leave it in d4 unless you're going up a hill
>pic related how's your honda?
>>
>>14897481
It didn't come with one but I'll pick one up.
Thanks, I'm really liking it
>>
>>14894314
Do you have any play in the steering wheel?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.