[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thought I might go ahead and give this a try. /o/, you know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
File: 300zx.jpg (4 MB, 2000x1801) Image search: [Google]
300zx.jpg
4 MB, 2000x1801
Thought I might go ahead and give this a try.

/o/, you know y'all my niggas, help another nigga out here.
I'm looking at this 86 300zx. The dude wants $1500 for it. It's in the most clean one around here I've seen so far. It has 102k miles on it. However it's the non-turbo model with only two seats. It needs the passenger window and rear driver side wheel bearing replaced. I imagine I could replace the window easy enough, but I assume I would need a mechanic to do the wheel bearing. The current owner said he has the parts for the wheel bearing already. There also seems to be a some minor electric issues as far as he told me. Something along the lines of the alarm going off at certain conditions, I think one of them was at a certain incline and load, and I guess there is some automated voice that speaks to you but depending on the incline it won't happen. I'm not too sure the cost to fix those are. I also noticed it seems to have an aftermarket intake on it, so I can only image what it might have been through beforehand. I don't really trust a lot of aftermarket mods. It could use a paint touch up, needs new tires, a radio, and needs some cleaning inside.

So all my questions are...
>should I dump 1.5k on this and get it, clean up and have it as a second car
>and if so, is it a good idea to get rid fo that intake

Or should I just keep looking? I see plenty of Miatas around, seen a 85 Porsche 944 for $8k. ect. I like the 300zx though, I really do, but have a feeling it might not be too great of an idea. Mostly because of parts and maybe maintenance. Would it be an objectively bad idea to do something like this?

What do you guys think?
>pics related
https://diigo.com/08il6g
>VIN
Been in an accident, and I think it shows on the back where the plastic is broken. So might have not been too much.

>inb4 the other anon who happened to look at this months backs pops in
>>
Get the Z, they will be selling for five figures on Barrett-Jackson within the next decade.
>>
Love that power curve above the tach.
Sorry I can't contribute to your post, OP.
>>
I would also get the Z but I am a little biased, just remember if you're looking to make your own aftermarket modifications it would be easier if you bought a turbo in the first place. N/A can be converted to turbo but it saves you a lot of trouble.
>>
>>14881075
Oh yeah I also forgot to add the digital dash looks cool but it's 80's tech and is an all around hassle
>>
buy it and keep it clean stock. these will be worth gold very soon m8 as one anon already mentioned in this thread
>>
keep looking. It needs work, the interior is a mess. The paint 'looks' good, but in person is probably shit, he probably waited till a rainy cloudy day to take the photos.

That is at most a 1000 dollar car if it ran perfect, in the shape its in, 500. If it was a turbo.. then he could have some room.
>>
The non-turbo is seriously slow, and I aint too sure about the rising value, but goddamn, that is one slick fucking car for only $1500. I'd give it a look and make sure it wont cost a few thousand more then you think to clean up.
>>
I'm honestly not too worried about the turbo as I like the sound from natural aspiration engines somewhat better. I also don't plan to take it to the track it anything. But wasn't sure if it was still worth it or not.

>>14881075
>>14881085
It's a hassle to put an aftermarket turbo on it?
And so I've heard. Looks neat, but can apparently not be too reliable.

>>14881111
Actually I took those pictures myself. Yeah the paint could use some work but it's not awfully bad.

I think the only reason for the interior being a mess was because that passenger window was cracked and needed replacing. He took it out and has the replacement windows in the back.

>>14881133
I've taken a look and a lot of it was pretty fine in person. I'm just not too sure on where I can look for good quality parts. It also needed a driver side side mirror and the hydraulics for the hood went out so it has to be held up.
>>
>>14881749
Im not too certain, but I think there's some substantial differences between the NA and the turbo engine, so slapping a turbo on this thing will probably be a huge pain in the ass for not much gain. I'd keep an eye on the classifieds for a turbo model thats being parted out, so you can scavenge the bits you need and maybe swap the engine, if you're feeling up for it.
>>
>>14881783
Thanks anon, I'll see if I can. The turbos seem to be pretty rare and I'm looking to make a decision on this by Friday.
>>
File: 635652711416144729.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
635652711416144729.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
Here's the Porsche I mentioned.

>>14881783
Now that I think about it, I think I was told the compression ratios are different. The NA has a 9:1 and I can't remember the turbo. Might have been something like 7:16 or something.
>>
>>14881889
The NA was 9:1, while the turbos were either 7.8:1 or 8.3:1. They bumped it up by .5 about halfway through the Z31's life, giving around 5HP extra.

Also, Im not sure how they would affect an NA engine, but if you can get a set of cams from the European Z31 turbo, they're good for 25-30 additional horses on a turbo engine.
>>
>>14882121
>compression ratio
>7:16
>>
Want to make an investment? Buy it and church it up with clean stock parts from junk yards/part outs over the next few years, and garage it. Want a fun DD? Keep looking
>>
>>14882150
Ah, so that was it.

Sounds pretty nice to have. I'll have to look around and see what I might be able to find.

>>14882163
Yeah I thought that was pretty ridiculous too, but I haven't had the time to look it up too. At least I know now.

>>14882180
It wouldn't be a DD. I don't know if I'd buy a car to make an investment out of it.
>>
>>14882121
>7:16
Toppest of keks
>>
>>14882121
>compression ratio is an expansion
SOMEBODY CALL THE WAT DESIGN TEAM!
>>
>>14882198
Wasn't really paying attention when I was listening to someone talk about it, so I didn't really think much about it at the time.
I thought something was wrong but it's not the turbo so I didn't bother looking it up.

>>14882205
Lel
What's the worse that could happen?
>>
>>14882180
>car
>investment
I know you mean well dude, but that's like trying to gamble with loaded dice when it's against you. There's better investment ideas out there.
>>
>>14880187
OP convince me why you would want to buy a non-turbo model of which there is a turbo available?

Why would you want to buy the bottom trim of a cheap ass car. If you are gonna get a 30 year old fucking car at least get the highest model/trim available.

PS: Don't ever buy a cheap old gun car. Spend the money on a clean example and that money pays off in dividends in shit you don't have to fix down the road. You will end up spending more than just getting a middle of the road turbo and have a slower car for it.
>>
>>14880187
If you can't afford the turbo you can't afford what it will cost to fix this car up or make it run well.
>>
I don't want to be an asshole, but it sounds like you have no fucking idea what you are doing. In which case DO NOT FUCKING BUY A 944!!!!!!!!!! Yes, those exclamation points were necessary. DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL REGRET IT

You'll probably regret the Z31 as well, since it looks like that one is pretty beat and in need of stuff you won't be able to do yourself. But the 944 is the worst idea ever
>>
>people here talking about finding a turbo model
>they don't turbos are basically impossible to find
Like I'm with you guys here on someone getting a turbo, especially OP, but you guys like finding a turbo is easy. I'm close to Oklahoma and looked at their lists. There ain't shit there. I'm surprised he found this.

Now OP, I'd say go for if you are okay with having a non turbo and aren't planning to take it on the track.

>>14883030
I'm curious myself, what's wrong with a 944? I've known few people that have them and love them. Maybe they had good luck with them and I'm none the wiser.
>>
>>14882121
Why the fuck is a 944 even in anyones buying options? Its a piece of shit car with porsche problems but worse.

Ever wonder why they're so cheap? Plus I live in a population with tons of people and I have never seen any of these actually on the road.
>>
>>14880187
>Hey guys I'm 19 and got invited to a Bukkake by my dad's friend, sounds like a sushi party. Should I go?

What's the point in having a sports car that's not the fastest one they made for that vintage. Its like doing blow and not getting an 8 ball.
>>
>>14883309
Hey you're the Porsche expert here, not me mang.

>>14883373
>you're green text makes no sense

Some people like the looks instead. It's the same reason why I assume on why people get v6 Camaros and Mustangs.
>>
>>14883420
>buyer is naive and getting in over his head.
>>
>>14883420
Yea sorry i went off, tl;dr dont get a 944

My dad actually had one when it came out and it was a piece of shit from the start
>>
>>14883420
You don't have to be an expert on anything to know that the 944 is junk.

They were garbage when they came out, horrendous reliability, expensive to maintain and constantly breaking down. There's a reason why you always see 944's for sale, but you never actually see them on the road, because they are always broke down and most people can't afford to repair them.
>>
>>14882941
If I found a turbo I wouldn't be asking about this now, would I? I probably would have bought it without questioning myself.

>>14882956
Who said I couldn't afford a turbo? Did you think turbos are hard to find?

>>14883436
If I was in over my head I would have bought it and never asked any questions. Yes I know it's not a turbo. I'm well aware of that. But at the same time I'm not a big fan of turbos and I wouldn't take this on the track as is.

>>14883030
>>14883475
Don't buy the 944, got it.

I mean I like the body but been doing some research on it and I keep getting mixed results on the thing. Thanks though.

As for the zx, it's not really "beat up" I would say. I've seen a lot worse. The interior is just apart right now so that didn't make it look any better. The leather seats were surprisingly in good condition though.

I imagine only the wheel bearing issue and new tires would be the only two I couldn't really do by myself or at all. Is there something I'm over looking on one of the other issues that might be tough?
>>
>>14883475
>>14883499
I see. Like I've said I've known few people that owned them and loved them. They had some money so that's probably why they didn't have a problem with them.

I honestly don't like Porsche myself senpaitachi, but was curious on why this one was extra shit.

You br/o/s stay cool.
>>
>>14883527
>senpaitachi
God I love this site and its word filters.
>>
>>14883527
Good luck
>>
>>14883587
I ain't buying no car family.
>>
>>14883514
you don't know enough to own this car.
>>
>>14880187
don't pay over $1000, if he's asking 1500 he'll take 1000 if you know how to haggle.
>>
>>14880187
it sounds like it has electrical gremlins and that the current owner cant care enough to fix it then he probably didnt take good enough care of it and im sure theres more problems, on top of a probably rolled back odometer. dont trust it as a relatively poor person, but thats my opinion on the matter it'll be more headache than the money's worth
>>
>>14883656
All right grand master on automotives.

>>14883657
Was looking to do fhsf considering everything.

>>14883672
I've heard this is a common problem with these cars, is they have all sorts of electric problems.
>>
File: 1453707869418.png (1 MB, 1402x1801) Image search: [Google]
1453707869418.png
1 MB, 1402x1801
I might as well ask in this thread since it's related to my question.

How easy is it to swap one of the turbo 300zx engines into a non-turbo model if it's the same year? I imagine it's not all difficult, but I've never done an engine swap before.

Similar position as OP. Except I'm seeing a 300zx for around $1000 that needs some work, and a 300zx for $800 that's all rusted and gone to shit. I think the engine is still good though. So I was thinking of doing a swap once I look into all the research about doing one. Was wondering if anyone here can give me the gist and a fast yes or no.
>>
Damn the moment i have 86 2+2 turbo automatic.
>>
>>14880187
wheel bearing is easy as fuck, the incline sounds like a old security system which responds to the car not being level and alerts everyone around of it being stolen... probably a yaw mercury switch somewhere.
>>
>>14885659
They made the turbos with 4 seats and with an automatic?
>>
Get him to bump it down to $1000. If you do most the wrenching yourself then you're good on cost to get it back to near 100%. Might not be turbo, but might be an eye looker at least. Just don't try to make this DD if you're looking for one right now. If you're looking for a DD, stay away from this.

>>14885590
I'm actually curious on this too. I'd imagine it's as simple as swapping the engine and ECUs, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>14885714
Yes only in canada.
>>
>>14885714
I forget what the trim is called though.
>>
>>14880187
dude if that car was nearby it would be in my garage atm, and I would be worshiping that digidash (and the fucking awesome gauges on the console to the side)
>>
>>14885730
>>14885746
That's kind of weird. I'd expect for the USA to have such a thing before anyone else.

>>14885759
I agree the digidash is pretty nice, but it's got a lot of problems with it too. I guess it's one of those things you want to have a headache for.
>>
>>14885774
Yeah its preaty neat and the t tops dont leak ethier.
>>
>>14885869
I guess there's an issue with them leaking? I hear plenty of people say that.
>>
>>14885887
I guess so but that kinda goes with t tops in general.
>>
>>14885887
I have a Canadian 50th AE and it leaks a bit. I've been told that you can use vaseline and the seals will soak some up and seal better, but I haven't had a chance to get to it for about a year.
>>
>>14885909
I did mean t tops in general lel. Anything that isn't a solid roof always seems to have these problems. Which is no surprise.

>>14885916
How have you been dealing with it currently?
>>
File: DSC06831.jpg (278 KB, 1494x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC06831.jpg
278 KB, 1494x1000
>>14885925
In the rain it drips a little just behind the seat and I would stuff it with whatever I had on hand to try and stop it. The turbo is enough to have some fun with it but its still just a fat car with a tiny turbo. Early models had a Garret T3, later ones had a 2.5. Makes 6.5 psi stock, people say at about 13 psi you are making more heat than boost. I never would use it as a daily, its a project car, about 9 hours away, I have a new set of heads sitting here for it but I dont have much time for working on it being a student. Thinking of selling it and importing a Stagea.

I will be up for a while, if you have questions about Z31s I can try my best to answer them.
>>
>>14886010
What do you think about getting a non-turbo model like the one in the OP? I've seen a few around here myself that aren't too bad, but non are turbo'ed. Even with the turbo it doesn't seem like a car you would want for track or anything. They don't seem too terribly fast. More looks than anything unless you get into some heavy modding.

Why a Stagea?
>>
File: DSC06816.jpg (93 KB, 1494x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC06816.jpg
93 KB, 1494x1000
>>14886043
The NAs aren't all that fast at all for today. Some Z31s had electronic suspension so you could adjust stiffness with a switch, 3 different levels. It would be that bad if you have some nice winding roads. There is still aftermarket go fast parts for the VG30E, Jimwolf sells cams, ECUs, and other things. Nissan used the VG30E on quite a few things, so there are used parts around. Go for the turbo model if you can, they aren't too bad for working on. If you can find a clean cheap NA, and aren't expecting it to be fast and want one now, you will probably be happy with it. You can always sell it and buy a turbo model later on. Be prepared for electrical issues as well, they had quite a bit in there for the 80's.
>>
>>14886135
Do you think swapping engines would be easy enough? Like one anon asked above, and it's peaked my curiosity. I haven't seen any turbos around my area for sale, but I'm I could find an engine if I look a bit harder.
>>
File: DSC06997.jpg (155 KB, 1494x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC06997.jpg
155 KB, 1494x1000
>>14886043
Also thinking of going after a Stagea since there is more performance stuff for the RB. I cant bring myself to even put a boost controller on that 50th AE. As much as I would like a skyline, you can get a very good condition Stagea for $6500, and a reasonable GT-T for $10000, though I'm sure if I looked around harder I could find it for much less. Also Stagea for me is more practical for my needs and I could DD if it I wanted. Insurance on them would cost me the same. I'm just being cheap.
>>
File: DSC06964.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC06964.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2592
>>14886176
If you are swapping it with the same year it shouldn't be that bad as far as engine swaps go. Dont rush things, expect everything to go wrong, so if anything does you wont be as upset. I think all you would need is the complete VG30ET, the ECU + harness that goes with it, and an engine mount. Just found a list of stuff used if you were to throw a turbo on a early NA:

T3 Turbocharger and exhaust elbow from 84-87 300ZX Turbo
Drivers side exhaust manifold
Downpipe
Front crossmember (both the crossmember and engine mount bracket must be swapped for turbocharger fitment)
Drivers side engine mount bracket (bolts to block)
All intake piping (from Airflow meter to Throttle body)
Alternator mount, tensioner (and longer belt for application because the alternator mounts on pass. side instead of drivers side)
Oil pan
Turbo oil lines (and water lines if applicable)
Fuel injectors (260cc/min instead of 180cc/min)
Correct ECU (Interchange info here)
All applicable gaskets
>>
>>14886189
I would go with the more practical and price efficient option myself. Skylines are nice, but you want some money for those.
You think the 300zx could be a decent DD assuming it's not all shit? I already got a gud DD right now, so I'm just looking at a second car. Don't really need one anytime soon, so I'm casually looking.

I like the 300zx cars, especially the 80s ones, but doing all the research it seems somewhat of a headache to keep. I would rather get something a little more solid.

>>14886254
Doesn't sound too bad. Never done something like that, but kind of interested. I just have to figure if I want to throw all my money at a potential failure or not.
>>
>>14886286
I wouldn't recommend it, but I suppose you could DD it if you want. Keep in mind its an old car so old car problems are going to show up. Also if you want fuel efficiency look somewhere else. Finding parts isnt that bad, Nissan used the NA into the 90's and did FWD stuff with it. There was a non interference version that was used in Nissan and Mercury minivans at one point.
>>
File: DSC06955e.jpg (166 KB, 1494x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC06955e.jpg
166 KB, 1494x1000
>>14886362
Forgot picture.
>>
>>14886362
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I like the older cars, but you need some money. I have money, but not made of it. I want a second car I can also DD around if needed.

Yours looks pretty nice at least.
>>
File: DSC06974.jpg (156 KB, 1494x1000) Image search: [Google]
DSC06974.jpg
156 KB, 1494x1000
>>14886388
50th AEs are neat, but like many older cars in Canada someone thought it would be a good winter beater so theres plenty of rust. Rebuilt a lot of the rear of the car. Fenders, quarter panels, etc Just not enough time for it anymore. As other said, I wont be surprised if these cars get more valuable. Multiple people recommend that If i sell this I should get $4000 for it in its current not really well running condition. A couple autobody people told me I could get $20K for this thing when most of the rust is gone, before new paint. I think both are very high but 300 of these were brought into Canada so maybe its doable? Many people like these cars, 3 people asked if I was willing to sell it.
>>
>>14886472
I see what you mean. You've got a pretty rare one there it seems. The ones I've seen around are about the same as the OP. Nothing too shabby. I don't think they are anything too special either.
You're getting some high prices for that. Seems might be wroth to get it all cleaned up.
>>
>>14886566
Not enough time for it anymore. I dont want to sell it but I wont have a place to keep it in a year from now. If I keep it outside much longer mice will find a way inside and wreck the interior come winter time.
>>
>>14886603
Hope you're able to find a seller soon. As for myself I guess I'll look at some other cars I've been looking for around me. There's always Miatas, but not too sure I want one of t hose.
>>
Anyone know much about the 83 240zx? Think it also goes under the Datsun name?
>>
>>14886654
Miata could be a good option. Maybe not as cheap but much lighter, more aftermarket, a bit newer. Sometimes you can find A70 supras for cheap, or whatever the AWD Celica was. Not sure how bad it is to find parts on those or what they go for in the US.
>>
>>14886676
Cause I found one and I think i want it, but wondering if it's going to have all the same problems.
>240zx
I suck with the keypad. I meant 280zx. The S130.
>>
>>14886698
I haven't considered those myself actually. Was thinking I should go newer. Seeing an 02 Firebird with 133k from a dealer. Kind of pricey though.
>>
>>14886676
>>14886805
I imagine it gets the same electrical issues.
>>
>>14886676
>>14886805
>>14887424
Yep, same problems as the others. Maybe some other. Just asked a datsun thread next time it's around.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.