[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /o/ I dont know much about cars, but I would like to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
Hi /o/

I dont know much about cars, but I would like to get some advice.

I want to get a Jeep wrangler and get it customized (I am interested in prepping and survival and want to make it great for off road) BUT it will also be my primary car and will be used 90% of the time for driving in the city and meeting with clients.

Is it worth buying a new Jeep if I plan on putting money into it getting it customized? Or should I buy an older one for 1/4 of the price and then put money into it?

As I am interested in prepping I want to make it even more rugged (like pic related but not as extreme).

I would also like to keep the car for as long as possible without it loking like an old car (I would put money into it every once in a while) is it really possible to keep an older car reliable by spending money on it when needed? The engine etc? Could I update the exterior every 5 to 10 years to make it look new again?

Or is it just not worth it?

I apologize for my ignorance..

Thanks.
>>
>>14647471
>I apologize for my ignorance
This I'm afraid

What you are after is the must impractical thing for the city. A modded, lifted rock crawling jeep is one of the worst things in the city. You are way too high, suspension makes it shit, mpg is in single digits, your $500 each off road tires dont last 10k and it isn't at all comfortable.

If you want to rock crawl. Have a city car, get an old pre modded tj or cj heartbreak/divorce special from craigslist or jeep forums once the seller has finally accepted reality and decided to sell below cost.

If you really want a city jeep get a stock Rubicon, keep it stock. It's already pretty fucking rugged, with lockers and electronic sway disconnect. Get a set of city tires and swap em out when you go off for the weekend. You might just get 15mpg.

Prepping wise: if you get the rock crawler keep full bugout kit in it, with enough gas to get you where you need x2
If you get the city jeep get a tire carrier with room for 2 jerry cans or external gas tank, fill them up with premium and rotate every couple of months. Keep a get home bag inside at all times. Install a ham radio and participate in ARES.

Once you have it you will mod it as needed, it won't look dated, it will look like a fucking jeep as long as you get on trails and know your Shit.
>>
File: tLTZ7f1.jpg (797 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
tLTZ7f1.jpg
797 KB, 1920x1280
>>14648016
Source - I drive this

Also if you just want it just for the looks - don't bother. Shitty cost cutting lifts, tires etc will cost you way more in repairs then brotrucks
>>
File: K2aEJsX.jpg (1 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
K2aEJsX.jpg
1 MB, 2736x3648
>>14648028
>>
>>14648016
>get an old pre modded tj or cj heartbreak/divorce special from craigslist or jeep forums once the seller has finally accepted reality and decided to sell below cost.
Speaking of this, just saw a guy selling a fully restored early 70's white Toyota FJ 40 with a brand new 350 swap for 12k. I want it so bad, but it's an automatic. I know it's probably better for offroad that way but damn it, I don't want to give up the stick. And I really don't want to blow over ten thousand dollars when I just finished fixing up my own vehicle how I want it.
>>
>>14647471
Why did you make this thread again OP?
>most complicated troll thread ever
>>
>>14648073
It's not even fucking archived yet>>14641740
>>
File: 4p34Iyv.jpg (1 MB, 2462x3283) Image search: [Google]
4p34Iyv.jpg
1 MB, 2462x3283
>>14648047
That is an amount price for a full resto. How bad would the swap to stick be if you could even good the parts.
>>
>>14648100
Probably would fuck up the interior. The original manual had 3 on the tree but a typical replacement to mate to the new engine would be floor mounted. Likely why he went with the column auto in the first place.
>>
>>14648047
Why in the fuck would a manual be so damn important that you would even consider all this bullshit? I can't help but think you are just parroting shit you read on /o/.
>>
>>14648047

Auto is better for off road??

>>14648016

Thanks for the reply.. What would you consider as a god middle ground for modding but keeping it suitable fr daily city use?

For example, you mentioned swapping out the tyres, could you get it raised and keep tyres more suitable for the city on it, but when you want to go off road its ready to go?

What things could be modded without making it unbearable in the city?

Also, Diesel? Petrol? Auto? Manual? What would you recommend?

I know I am retard tier but its either advice from here or from a dealer.....................
>>
>>14648122
>see something cool
>but like what I have
>don't really feel like spending twelve thousand dollars right now
>and it's not manual when that's what I prefer

It's not rocket science. Can't help thinking you're mistaking me for OP.
>>
File: daltonhwy.jpg (139 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
daltonhwy.jpg
139 KB, 1920x1280
>>14648122
Off roading with stick is it's fun, no gear changes at awkward moments like halfway up a boulder etc. That and sometimes it gives new control when stuck. Those 70s autos were mostly awful.

>>14648116
That sucks. Still it's a crazy deal I wouldn't think too long about.
>>
>>14648128
I know you are not the op, I just think it's strange that you would buy a fully finished and operating vehicle, and consider immediately changing it over to a manual. This is not an easy modification, and IMHO, not worth the effort for the very few benefits. As ridiculous as it sounds it wouldn't suprise me that the only reason you would want to do this is because you drank the /o/ Kool aid and now think that manual transmissions is the only acceptable transmission choice.
If I'm wrong so be it, I was just curious.
>>
>>14648142
I wasn't talking about changing it. I was just saying auto was a negative mark for me when I saw that's what it had.

Thus "don't want to give up the stick", because I sure wouldn't have two offroad vehicles and that would mean selling my current manual if I got the FJ.
>>
File: mud.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
mud.jpg
187 KB, 1920x1280
>>14648127
If you are getting it for in city driving don't lift it. The Rubicon are very capable stock.

Mod other stuff to start with:
Get a front bumper with winch and stinger
Get a rear bumper with external tanks/gas cans/tire carrier
Get rock rails
Armor your skid plates and pineapples (diffs).
Or get a rubicon x. It adjust has rails and gud front/back bumpers.

Once you have that go out in the trail and see what sort of lift/mods you will need.
>>
>>14648149
Ok, thanks. I was mistaken.
>>
>>14648142
deespite the /o/ memes, having a subjective choice in what you prefer is all a part of life m8, stop thinking of everyone as a whole and remember the individual.
>>
>>14648154

Thanks, I screenshot this.

Another quick thing, I saw a youtube video where they wrapped the body in some sort of material that made it less vulnerable to wear? Do you know what this could be?

Like the one in the original pic, is that just a type of paint?

Mainly I am interested in this as it seemed easier to clean, this would be great as I will be meeting clients a lot.
>>
>>14648127

No diesels are out yet so only petrol. Auto because muh city driving.

If you are just going for looks get an auto base model
Add a big lift but keep the diffs almost as low as they were before
37 inch rockstar wheels
A massive lightbar
2 side lights
More lights on a custom bumper
>>
>>14648127
>Auto is better for off road??
Can't stall an auto and you can jerk them over obstacles easier than with a manual.
>>
>>14648188
This. You may not stall on the road often, don't want your engine stalling in a big mudpit.
>>
>>14647471
Why not buy a real vehicle like a Land Rover? Best apocalypse/SHTF vehicle ever made. Also if you buy a jeep you just look like a big cuck. It's the equivalent of driving a lifted pickup around here.
>>
>>14647471
This thread again? Last time you said it was for picking up super hot girls your clients wanted to fuck

Man, stop shilling so much, we know you like the wranglers, but if you want to talk about them that much go to a wrangler specific forum and enjoy the circle jerk there
>>
>>14647471

>meeting with clients

Oh, here comes the cuck in the mallcrawler.
>>
>>14647471
a mild lift with 33 inch goodyear wranglers. and pic related is not very rugged m8 thats all for show
>>
OP get a rubicon, get at least 40" tires on a solid 24" rims. if you can get spinning rims that would be sick too.

Get as many catalog parts as you can, probably like a full metalcloak kit. For the engine you should probably put a diesel in it. If not, then do a twin turbo chevy lsx. it will sound like bwaaaAAAHHHHHtutututuuuubwaaaAAAAHHHtutututu

Also make sure you do the angry eye headlights and get as many lightbars as you can, the thing will be SICK!

source: I drive a tj you faggot
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.