[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unusual transport enthusiasts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15
File: 1438609621901.jpg (96 KB, 792x558) Image search: [Google]
1438609621901.jpg
96 KB, 792x558
So I was looking for airport videos on YouTube and came across the most unusual transport community: Lift enthusiasts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp7DfMN9Y20

At first I didn't quite understand why someone would film themselves riding several lifts up and down, then I checked the comments and there's a whole bunch of people commenting on the brand, speed, finishing and even the accent on the voice of the lift announcement. They're so excited about the new "Schindler 5500" as if they just saw a Concorde fly by.

What other less known transportation enthusiasts do you guys know of? Please tell me there's a community for fans of escalators, that would be pretty cool.
>>
>>897980
I have never understood lift enthusiasts, it is mental to me. Also I fucking hate that Beno guy, fucking annoying piece of shit. Videos are fucking trash.
>>
>>897980
>lift enthusiasts

someone for everything I guess
>>
The best part about Japanese lifts is how unforgiving they are. When you press the door close button, they *immediately* close and many of them lack optical sensors so they'll munch the fuck out of your legs if you even think to try and hold them open

Also, these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjfvaDUba3c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi0u03KZlN8
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T49PsI6maMg
No love for paternosters?
>>
File: 森タワー回転ドア.jpg (72 KB, 250x266) Image search: [Google]
森タワー回転ドア.jpg
72 KB, 250x266
>>898112
Those go in the same basket as Japanese killer doors
>>
File: Paternoster_Eduskuntatalo.jpg (705 KB, 2124x2360) Image search: [Google]
Paternoster_Eduskuntatalo.jpg
705 KB, 2124x2360
I was more than little weirdened out when I first heard of gongoozlers (canal enthuasists), which was horrible foamer hypocricy.

>>898112
This the paternoster in Finnish parliament, probably the most well known lift in the nation. Nick named herrahissi (gets' lift).

If you are drawing a political cartoon and can't think of anything clever, just draw politicians going up or down in this lift depending on their poll results.
>>
>>897980
>Schindler's Lifts

I wonder when that dude thought to go into the lift business, before or after the film came out?
>>
>tfw hadn't been in a lift for ages and went in one recently

Forgot what it felt like desu.

Wonder what it'd be like if the cable snapped and the safeties failed. I know 'jump before you land and ypi'll be fine' is a load of bollocks.
>>
>>898283
>hadn't been in a lift for ages
do you live in a farm?
>>
>>898283
Hate to ruin your fun, but the kind of elevator where that can happen is extremely rare, the most likely thing that could kill you is the door slams shut when you're halfway inside and it starts to move, cutting you in half like a trapped bug. That kind of thing does happen from time to time, and the best way to avoid it is not to use your body to stop the door from closing.
>>
File: i001.jpg (157 KB, 849x1200) Image search: [Google]
i001.jpg
157 KB, 849x1200
The whole trains / planes / battleships antromorphized as slutty high school girls -thing.

I just don't get it. Nor do I get OS-tans.

>>898287
Plenty of those old elevators still around where there's only the outer door and and the lift cabin rides against this smooth or not so smooth steel surface.

People sometimes tend to get stuck to that.
>>
It's called otaku. you have otaku of everything technology.
>>
File: lovely ride.webm (2 MB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
lovely ride.webm
2 MB, 768x576
>>898287

There's other awful things that can happen to you after an elevator malfunction
>>
>>898320
fuck, I can just imagine the disbelief and rising panic

did he died?
>>
File: 1HLGqaj.png (92 KB, 444x440) Image search: [Google]
1HLGqaj.png
92 KB, 444x440
>>898320
What kind of mechanism is that? A lift falling because the cables ruptured is understandable but why would they build those things with a function that makes them rise quickly until they hit the ceiling?
>>
>>898321

He survived but broke his neck/back and is now paralyzed, IIRC.
>>
Do hand blowers and toilets count as unusual transportation forms?

I couldn't find the one channel I knew of that reviews the accommodations of public restrooms and the types of toilets, urinals, etc. used, but here's a video from a fan of fans/blow dryers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hnyCw5_N8
>>
You'd be more enthusiastic about lifts if you had to spend a lot of time in one.
>>
>>898323
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/08/13/elevator-in-china-goes-out-of-control-bursts-through-ceiling/
>china
Could be a possible explanation although there's no location given for the vid in the prior post
>>
File: 08_0.11.58.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
08_0.11.58.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>898397

LIES
>>
>>897980
Although I am not a lift enthusiasts I kinda understand what they are talking about. When I was in Japan I preferred to use Elevators which had a voice that used keigo(polite speech) instead of common speech.
>>
>>898286
not everyone is from jew york where the air smells
>>
>>898399

The one in the webm happened in Chile, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Chinese elevator
>>
>>898323
Counterweights. If your brakes go out but the wire stays strong, the counterweight drives you upwards with the full force of gravity. The counterweights are designed based on the typical/average load on the elevator, so if you're alone in there it's probably quite a bit heavier than the cabin with you inside.
>>
File: key.jpg (206 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
key.jpg
206 KB, 768x1024
Oh my goodness, what an interesting thread.

I'm actually an elevator engineer. I work with all the big companies doing repairs/maintenance.

Uh...ask me anything I guess? Oh yeah, business has been up and down lately...
>>
>>899185
why do they even put a "door close" button in USA's elevators when it obviously does nothing?
>>
>>899187
>all elevators in the USA are exactly the same
>>
>>899187

It depends on the set-up. Some do nothing at all, some close the door, some only work in special situations.

It's mostly just psychological ;)
>>
>>899191
OK, but why don't they just leave the space blank for the ones that they want "nothing at all" and only install the button for the ones where they want it to work? just leave an empty hole or something so we don't press it like a retard.
>>
>>899202

From a design side its just cheaper to build all button panels the same and just differentiate the circuits.

And, again, because it makes you feel like you're accomplishing something.
>>
File: gudoge.jpg (523 KB, 1426x1070) Image search: [Google]
gudoge.jpg
523 KB, 1426x1070
>>898320
Quick! JAMMM,, all your stuff in the crack!
,,i like ski lifts.
>>
>>899185
There's an urban legend that elevators come with a feature for emergency services where if you press the right sequence of buttons, it will take you to a floor without stopping. Is that true?
>>
>>899202
Some station lifts are like that here. There's only a door open button and no close button.
>>
File: carlos.jpg (8 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
8 KB, 262x192
>>898320
I see he's the kind of guy who likes to raise the roof.
>>
>>899185

Are there any "hacks" that will work in any, or most elevators? Like what >>899228 said, or something that will lock the elevator in place, or force-open the doors, stuff like that?
>>
>>899265
Yes there are special codes.
>>
>>899211
I always wanted to make a thread on /n/ about ski lifts and gondolas, but I'm too lazy to gather material.
>>
>>899282

Come on, I promise I'll use my powers for good
>>
>>899228
That's usually accessed with a physical key firefighters and other emergency and maintenance personnel have. Stick it in the keyhole hidden somewhere and emergency mode is a go, allowing you to disengage safety and finely command what the lift does, such as stop it between floors and open the doors there.

You can probably get keys that work for most lift makes from dodgy sellers in China.
>>
>>899296
There is a ropeways thread live atm if you didn't know. >>890233
>>
The lifts in my university are based as fuck. They are incredibly fastand travel up to ten floors in mere seconds. There's always a smaller and a larger one next to each other for wheelchair access.
Those elevators spoiled all others for me, for example the one in my house or the ones in the new university building. They are so goddamn slow in comparison.
>>
>>898320
would it help at all if you laid down spread eagle on the floor in a situation like this?
>>
>>899187
The door close button is there to give people a sense on control and to stop people accidently pressing the door open button.
>>
File: cs48HR.jpg (205 KB, 1197x1158) Image search: [Google]
cs48HR.jpg
205 KB, 1197x1158
To be honest I do like the old lifts that had an operator. They're pretty neat.
>>
>>902357

I often wonder this. At least he probably wouldn't have snapped his neck against the roof.
>>
>>899187
?????
I've never been in a building where the close button does nothing, and I live in NYC USA, where there are more elevators than anywhere else in this hemisphere
>>
>>902481
they are mostly decorative in the rest of the US. see>>902452
>>899205
>>899191
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (197 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
197 KB, 3000x1688
>>902476
>please, after you
>>
>>898369
https://www.youtube.com/user/dauntless486
https://www.youtube.com/user/smoogie7
>>
>>898272
>The Schindler Group is a manufacturer of escalators and elevators worldwide, founded in Switzerland in 1874. Schindler produces, installs, maintains and modernizes elevators and escalators in many types of buildings including residential, commercial and high-rise buildings. The company is present in more than 140 countries and employs more than 54,000 persons worldwide.[1] The production facilities are located in Brazil, China, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, India and the USA.[2]
>>
>>897980

>So I was looking for airport videos on YouTube

This whole board is autistic. It's like a pot calling a kettle black.
>>
File: nu male.jpg (1023 KB, 2240x2895) Image search: [Google]
nu male.jpg
1023 KB, 2240x2895
>>903204
Airports are awesome though.
I bet you're one of the nu-male cyclefags who hates anything that pollutes your precious trees.
>>
File: another shoah.gif (4 MB, 615x346) Image search: [Google]
another shoah.gif
4 MB, 615x346
>>903209
>You're not a real man unless you surrender your income to the petroleum Jew
>>
Garbage truck enthusiasts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpDViDV6R3Y
>>
>>903209
>Airports are awesome though.
Confirmed b8
>>
>>903299
>he will proudly live like a 1950s Chinaman under the whip of communism because of government anti-fuel policies and still think he is fighting the system while sucking the Green Party leader's dick

Literally a kek. So progressive.
>>
>>903404
>doing nothing about the ongoing opposite

left or right, radical is dumb.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.