[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: Headstock7.jpg (92 KB, 764x1024) Image search: [Google]
Headstock7.jpg
92 KB, 764x1024
>Post gear
>Post desired gear
>How long have you been playing?
>Fav guitars?
>Fav guitarists?
>Projects?
>Talk about and play music
>General guitar and bass discussion

Beginner information and FAQ:
>http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Music Theory:
>http://www.justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
>http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
>http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Floyd Rose Setup Video Tutorial:
>http://youtu.be/umY5NBKg5AA?list=PLcm7Ag6Q-OkZAmlY6dAhS2ZL9TUMeRZdI

Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Impulse Response Pack
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods+Cab+1.3.rar
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM+RECTO+V30+L2.wav

--

>Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Others
>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
>Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
>Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
http://www.mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Old Thread: >>65884547
>>
first for superstrats
>>
this might be a stupid question
should I learn more scales in the same key or one scale in all keys?
>>
>>65907325
If you learn a scale for one key, you know it for all keys.

Learn more scales.
>>
>>65907325
all scales in all keys
>>
>>65907238
The 7 string eclipses are 25.5", all 6 strings are 24.75"
>>
>>65907346
>>65907358
I never really understood how keys work but I guess I'l learn all of it
>>
>>65907400
for scales your key is what note your root note is. With scales you'll use the same patterns, just move them around to grab different root notes, so A pentatonic minor moved up one fret is A# pentatonic minor. So as long as you know the patterns, you know all the keys.
>>
>>65907400
I suppose you're talking for the guitar?
Learn the theory of the scale, and the scale, but once you implement it on the guitar, because of how it works, you just need to move "the scale" a fret forward or backwards and you are in a different key.
So you learn E minor, which is G major, and if you move forward a fret, the shape is still the same, but you'll be playing F minor, and G# major, the shape will be the same.
Some musicians hate thinking in "shapes" but for guitar/bass it makes things easier.
>>
>>65907460
wow thanks that actually helps alot
>>
>>65907460
Patterns are stupid and a sure way to get completely stuck once you change string or tuning. Learning the scale's intervals itself and how to build it is harder, but will make you much more creative and original.
>>
File: Gibson SG.jpg (1023 KB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
Gibson SG.jpg
1023 KB, 4288x2848
Sound wise, what is the bigest diference between a les paul and a sg?
>>
>>65907514
To counter your argument, if you stay in standard tuning it doesn't change anything, if you use a complete different tuning, like you said, you just find the intervals, relearn a shape and be done with it.
Also if you change strings it doesn't change anything if you also put effort and learn your modes.

I mean, I'm with you on the learning theory and applying it, but shapes aren't evil, they are pretty practical.

>>65907558
Depends on the pups.
>>
Kevin Shields signature Jazzmaster when?!
>>
>>65907591
>but shapes aren't evil, they are pretty practical.
Even more for a shitter with bad memory like me ;_; I can only memorize stuff using patterns and mnemonic aids.
>>
>>65907591
If you play G major on the 5th string the shape's going to be different than it would on the 4th string, and it's going to be different too if you play it on the 3rd string, all because of the major third on the 5th string.
Sure, shapes are practical, but a lot of guitarists don't bother looking beyond them and end up being really previsible because of it.
I mean if you slide from the root to the 9th for exemple, then you're out of your little shaped box, and some people can't adjust to that, that's when shapes become bad.
>>
i'd rather a bolt on desu
>>
File: nice meme.jpg (26 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.jpg
26 KB, 340x340
>tfw my room is hot af and I'm sweating all over my guitar
>>
>>65907762
>but a lot of guitarists don't bother looking beyond them
That's their fault. But we can't deny it's practical, I can't always be thinking in intervals on the fretboard.
I find a root, or whatever which is root of a mode, and play from there inside a "shape" which is the mode for that root in that "zone".
Also, if you're on the 4th, you think of the octave on the 6th and plan from there. If you're on the 5th, think of the fifth interval, although the shape doesn't really change besides the 2nd string but that's easy to figure out imo.
3rd is to the 5th what 4th is to the 6th.
Also, instead of doing that, like I mentioned, if you know your modes, you know how a note is root of a mode in what scale, or how the scale correlates to another.

So basically I'm arguing for doing both things.
Learn your theory so you know your shit.
Learn practical ways to apply theory, so you spend more time playing and less time thinking.
>>
>>65907875
>So basically I'm arguing for doing both things.
>Learn your theory so you know your shit.
>Learn practical ways to apply theory, so you spend more time playing and less time thinking.
fair enough
>>
>>65907674
Guthrie govan uses shapes for some stuff. The important thing is to know what's going on, using shapes/muscle memory while playing is fine. Even better is to play what you imagine, as naturally as if you were singing, but obviously you shouldn't spend 10 years in a cave before you start playing anything fast... You know how a shape or a phrase in total sounds, because you've played it before. Improving with just a shape tends to sound weak, but at least it can save you sometimes, or help try out some things quickly if you're a beginner writing songs.
>>
>>65907932
>Improving
Improvising*
>>
>>65907873
I wouldn't even be surprised if my guitar got fucked at the end of summer, I keep sweating all over it and it is not a reliable guitar
>>
>>65907558
They're pretty similar really. In a recording I doubt you would be able to tell the difference if they used the exact same pickups.
>>
>>65907873
same, then the sweat fucking dries solid and I have to wipe the crust off my tele with a damp towel. Fucking disgusting. I'm not even a sweater usually but my room is an oven some days.
>>
>>65907873
It's not only hot but fucking beach town kind of damp in here, can't even grab the guitar without sweating.
>>
>>65908129
A friend of mine used to put a bit of magnesite on his hands before playing. Keeps your hands dry and leaves a nice coat of white dust on your fretboard.
>>
Hello friends, pleb here, today I've been trying to tune my guitar, I was able to tune most strings except the 2 last thin ones E and B, I think thats the name of the strings. But on my tuner it shows that its D# being E and A# being actually B, what the fuck should I do, tuning honestly makes me want to drop guitar, it's so annoying, probably because I am using an old piece of shit. It was free tho
>>
>>65908370
I've heard baby powder is good too. I might try rubbing some on my forearm palm.

>>65908429
your E and B are half a step flat. tune them back up to E and B.
>>
>>65908551
forearm and palm, lel
>>
>>65908429
loosen the strings. You can try tuning those strings without the tuner. Just fret the 4th fret on the G string, and play both the strings until you don't hear a "warble" pulsing sound. Once you've got that string tuned, fret the 5th fret on the B string and try to match the E string to it. You can also use the low E to tune the high E. Just play a 12th fret harmonic and tune the high e to it.

Violin is way harder dude, don't worry it'll get easy real fast.
>>
>>65908590
don't listen to him. you need to tighten to tune up to a higher note. Loosening the strings is for taking them down in pitch. Btw remember to tune UP into the note instead of down into it if that makes sense. This helps your tuning pegs stay in place.
>>
>>65908650
I meant loosen them to start tuning up, sorry for being confusing. I have found beginners accidentally tune up and break strings when try to tune by ear.
>>
>>65907558
A LP sounds darker and heavier in my opinion.
>>
Ordered a new MIA strat 800 CAD but I mostly play hard rock weeb music. Should I get a humbucker/stacked coil in the bridge? Or just resell it and find something else?
>>
>>65909081
stop
>>
>>65909156
yeah a mini JB might be good for you.
>>
>>65909156
fuck tiny humbuckers. A stack is nice though. Seymour Duncan stacks or gfs trucoil, they're the same design, both sound pretty much exactly like a well-shielded single coil, difference being you can turn your amp up further.
>>
>>65908590
>>65908551
Alright yeah I just had to loosen up the strings
Thanks phams
>>
>>65909310
we did it /gg/
>>
>>65907323
HM Strats are great. Are those yours?
>>
Opinions on the Squier '51?
>>
>>65909434
I wish, they are from the current lead guitarrist of TBDM, he likes to collect superstrats.
>>
>>65909690
well regarded as a modding platform and a decent cheap guitar. As someone who has bought and really tried to appreciate "nicer" Squiers, I can't honestly tell you it's a good instrument. But if you can get one for 100-150, it's not a total piece of crap.
>>
any reccommended electric-acoustic steel string guitars for under 500 usd?
i want to play fingerstyle and folksy tunes mostly.
>>
>>65909939
Try to get one with a trapeze. A little rarer and unconventional, but it'll last longer. Combine that with decently beefy frets and you might find your guitar lasting a lifetime.
>>
>>65909939
just look for something with solid wood. All solid top, back, and sides is the way to go, but at the very least get one with a solid top. I got my new all solid Washburn dread for $100 on OfferUp, that was lucky though.
I'd recommend playing a bunch and then buying a soundhole pickup when you find the one in your budget that sounds the best.
>>
Yum

Telecaster headstock with the silver fender logo and "TELECASTER" is the best version. Especially if placed closer to the end of the head than towards the neck.

Fucking hate the 70s headstock
>>
File: asdf.png (301 KB, 290x528) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
301 KB, 290x528
>>65910107
agreed
>>
>>65910164
Jesus, sorry dude but that's awful. I know its not an official fender neck and whoever made it fucked up, but it's terrible.

The logo is way too far down
>>
>>65910189
Awful? Nah.
it's a Mighty Mite neck so technically it is a licensed Fender neck. Definitely not trying to pass itself off as a model it isn't, so I don't care that it's not "correct", I kind of like it that way.
>>
>>65910224
who are you trying to convince?
>>
>>65910239
I'm just saying I like my Mighty Mite tele how it is, stop being a fucking putz.
>>
>>65910224
Licensed or not, and actual quality aside, the logo placement is awful, that's all.

It's a shame, but what can you do.
>>
>>65910269
I could go into the stop whenever I want and get the neck swapped for free if I really wanted to. I just genuinely don't care about the placement of the logo.
They also said they'd swap the red body out if I got sick of red, but it grew on me.
>>
>>65910308
I like the red and everything about the guitar except for the logo placement, they could've at least made is parallel with the neck

You got a good deal though I guess
How much did they charge total?
>>
>>65910327
$400, which is awesome for an all American Tele. Fender hardware and pickups, MIA Mighty Mite neck and body. Really nice 70s tuners. I'm in love with it. They gave me $100 off, though. Most of the teles they build there go out on the floor for $500. I bought an amp in the fall so they hook me up at that place. I might wanna take it in to get a string tree eventually.
>>
>>65910387
Americans suck at building guitars
>>
>>65910690
/gg/ never fails to bring out the autism
>>
>>65910730
>has indefensible position
>resorts to ad hominem
sasuga amerifat
>>
>>65910901
I really don't want to argue about the placement of a logo on MY guitar when it doesn't bother me. How is that an indefensible position.
>>
>>65910927
The indefensible position you have is that americans don't suck at making guitars.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>65910164
Boy lemme teach you something about Mighty Mite necks and logo placement.
Also what shop did you buy it from my Tele is the same thing all American body and neck the rest is all Fender USA hardware and pups
>>
Why did you guys opt for american bodies?
>>
>>65910690
Who makes the best guitars?
>>
>>65910985
but the guitar doesn't suck. Unless sticker placement is a key aspect of luthiery I wasn't aware of.
>>
>>65911034
i like guitars made by illegal central americans
>>
>>65911044
luthiers and custom shops
>>
>>65911007
I'm in Washington State.
nice! Looks good. I hate those style of tuners but still looks nice. Mighty Mite kicks ass.

apparently Mighty Mite had a fire in their factory and their entire stock was destroyed. My body and neck were some of the last of the old stock stuff to be shipped out.

>>65911034
I didn't opt for it, my shop just gets Mighty Mite stuff. I like that the stuff's American though, American jobs are just a thing I like to support. Not gonna act like I never support overseas sweatshops though, cause I do.
>>
>>65911044
me
>>
>>65911136
but not any from America
>>
>>65911281
>EBMM
>>
Hey y'all, I'm looking for some help and hoping this is the place I can find it. I've searched google but no response.

I have this electric/acoustic guitar that I have plugged up to my audiobox usb interface that is connected to guitar rig 5 except I'm getting no sound. I'm using headphones to hear the sound from my interface and I don't have any external speakers plugged up to the interface.

Am I doing something wrong? Does Guitar Rig 5 only work for strictly electric guitars?
>>
>>65911281
true
>>
>>65911302
replace your guitar's battery
>>
>>65911346
Thank you!
>>
>>65910107
Nocaster the best imo
>>
this is just a hypothetical rig question

i'm digging the Orange OB-1 series with it's whole bi-amp thing going on and i'm thinking of getting it soon but just for the sheer craziness i was thinking of a dream rig which would have the OB-1 running into an Orange AD200B MK as it's slave/power unit… checked out the price and goddamn lol what is a good versatile and affordable bass head i can slap along with the OB-1?
>>
>>65911498
i read something last thread that the telecaster tone is because of the headstock, how much of that is true?
>>
>>65911902
lmao
>>
>>65911566
If you're just slaving just get whatever poweramp. If you want a tube poweramp I get it but honestly the power section of a bass amp is not likely to sound much different from the poweramp of a guitar amp. And any time you run the same preamp into different poweramps you are asking for trouble. I'm assuming the idea is to push the poweramp somewhat or else you'd just want a solid state. Consistency will be really difficult.

If you actually want bass, add a subwoofer to your setup. Don't push it or let it distort. Solid state power.
>>
>>65911902
Don't trust ed roman.
>>
>>65911902
I didn't realize I had to be that careful around these idiots.
>>
>>65911902
Depends on the decal. I like the tone of the 1951 nocaster decals, taking the extra weight off really gives it an airier sound and prevents neck dive of the 1952 and on teles
>>
>>65912052
This. Gold font is such a fucking meme. Everyone knows gold is heavier than silver.
>>
File: 1459882355047.png (228 KB, 358x408) Image search: [Google]
1459882355047.png
228 KB, 358x408
>>65911902
i can't believe people like this exist.
>>
>>65912205
me neither
>>
>>65911902
>>65911902
fucking lmao
>>
>>65911902
I found the only guy dumb enough to believe gibson marketing.
>>
Can we stop rusing the children? The poor, innocent, children?
>>
File: 1399597419542.png (173 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
1399597419542.png
173 KB, 500x502
im concerned over the complete lack of common sense from some of the posters here
>>
To all the headstock deniers: This guitar sounds way more like a strat than a tele.
PROOF tonewood matters
>>
File: KgTSMoI.jpg (19 KB, 311x246) Image search: [Google]
KgTSMoI.jpg
19 KB, 311x246
>>65912659
>>65912719
hold on now, we should see some "hurr anime" posts !
also don't forget to swap your screws for gold screws, they give you that sweet shiny tone !
>>
I guess the guy spamming those "don't ever take the advice from these threads" reminders wasn't wrong.
>>
>>65912830
maple fretboards are brighter... literally
mahogany is darker... literally
hollowbodies have an airy tone
direct mounted pickups have a woody tone
I live for this shit
>>
>>65912950
>maple fretboards are brighter... literally
>mahogany is darker... literally
Well if they aren't tinted in any way, they are, anyone can SEE that.

>>65912866
Well most advice from internet on guitars is complete ass.
>>
Let's say I want to play arpeggios like TK from Ling toshite sigure, would scale and sweep picking practice help much? Metamorphize and Beautiful Circus are example songs.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2330x3251) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2330x3251
>>
>>65912985
first you need a guitar with arpeggio enabled pickups
>>
>>65912985
Scales are used anywhere dude, not learning them is a dumb choice.
As for sweep picking, you only need it for really high speed arpeggios.
Do you have any links for the songs you mentionned ? I can't find shit but this, and I don't see what kind of arpeggio you're talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIRNu7atpoQ
>>
>>65913283
some people shell out for these but honestly you can mod them at home. Arpeggio pickups are a design from the 50s it's not rocket science
>>
What do you about this music? Can you guess the language? It's our band kinda guitar songs with tasty riffs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFOdqd6rng
>>
>>65913406
What?
>>
>>65913406
>that thumbnail

I'm not giving them any views.
>>
>>65913430
It is hungarian.
>>
>>65913478
Ohh come on.... I'm interested in what foreign ppl think about it.
>>
File: 118346.jpg (26 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
118346.jpg
26 KB, 225x350
>>65913406
>non english lyrics
Into the thrash
>>
>>65913406
ESL leave
>>
>>65913517
it's shit
>>
That does remind me, why do foreign bands like to sing in English? Is that acknowledgement that the English language is the superior language?
>>
>>65913521
We've got an english song, too. We are planing to take more.
>>
>>65913547
Almost everyone speaks some English, therefore to make it easier for everyone just make it in English. Spic here btw literally only listen to music in English.
>>
>>65913571
>Spic here

why would you even refer to yourself that way
>>
>>65913609
I honestly have no idea now that I think about it. It's probably because everyone refers to us that way, so it sticks.
>>
>>65913639
This psh
>>
>>65913547
because 99% of globally popular rock bands are from the U.S. and britain
>>
Nah, I'm uploading our english song. Called turn me back.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (11 KB, 296x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
11 KB, 296x300
Needs neck work for sure but really does the job. Was between this and a MIM Tele. Hopefully next time.
>>
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_0l0_b-7Lk
>>
>>65913772
damn nigga not because we don't understand your language you have to rush to your PC to upload and English song
>>
>>65913833
I'm just pretty bored.
>>
>>65913885
Well I like it.
>>
File: SANTANA WHITE SG.jpg (106 KB, 649x720) Image search: [Google]
SANTANA WHITE SG.jpg
106 KB, 649x720
>>65913885
Ignore that feller. I haven't opened up or listened to either of your youtube videos, but you do you.
>>
>>65913249
C'mon man replace that tuning peg already, it's triggering me. How do you even tune your shit?
>>
>>65913970
>you do you
it's like we're really on facebook
>>
>>65914042
Pardon my knowledge. Is that actually how epiphone manufactured the headstocks or did this dude fuck with his?
>>
All my friends say that my chord progressions and solos and licks sound the same, what am I doing wrong?
>>
>>65914137
>tripfag
>surprised he is a gigantic faggot
>>
>>65914143
fuck off and learn english
>>
>>65914201
Playing the same thing? Post clyps.
>>
>>65914201
Get out of your shapes, record yourself and figure out why your progressions are the same
>>
>>65914228
I wasn't apologizing for my English fagfuck
>>
>>65907460
>>65907514
>>65907591
this stuff about scales, keys, etc... is there a collective umbrella term for this stuff, as well as related concepts? where/how could I acquire a full knowledge of this stuff?
>>
>>65914143
It's broken, plastic pegs tend to do that.
>>
>>65914201
You're probably playing a descending line or something. Do you find yourself going to the same place every time you pickup the guitar? Try playing with diminished chords. Observe what your chord progressions are with the Nashville system and stop doing them.
>>
>>65914260
Okay well with progressions I guess I should learn more chords. But with solos idk, I did a lot of different stuff in my opinion and it's not like any of my friends actually know how to play the guitar, it seems to me like just because the rhythm was stable and I mostly ended and started on the root note, the licks seemed the same to them.
>>
i need to buy my first guitar but they're all so fucking ugly
why are guitars so ugly
>>
>>65914295
Music theory.
All over the internet and in a lot of fucking books.
Do yourself a favor and don't learn "guitar theory", it's basically dumbed down and streamlined guitar theory, and won't help you if you have to play with a violin, trumpet, or whatever fucking 12TET instrument.

>>65914352
Stop trusting yourself, every guitarist thinks too high of themselves. You're shit, get a hold of yourself and re-think what you're doing.
>>
File: 1920x1080.jpg (288 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1920x1080.jpg
288 KB, 1920x1080
>>65914363
What do you consider to be an ugly guitar?
>>
>>65914461
strat, les paul, sg, tele
all ugly
>>
>>65914352
>it's not like any of my friends actually know how to play the guitar, it seems to me

Awful thinking idiot. You're probably better off listening to your friends because they are the retarded crowd who wants to hear something entertaining. Just learn theory if you feel stuck but if you feel like you're bob dylan which definitely aren't theory isn't always required.
>>
Well, there she is. I still need to set it up and clean up the place. Pickup height needs adjustment badly, I can't stand low pickups. I might post some clyps this weekend, I dunno. Depends if the threads are good.
>>
File: 1449395233251.jpg (62 KB, 960x684) Image search: [Google]
1449395233251.jpg
62 KB, 960x684
>>65914476
metalfag wants to play something that looks like it came out of hotwheels
>>
>>65914504
im not a metalfag
>>
>>65914476
what do you think of offset guitars?
why don't you try building a guitar yourself, to your own specifications?

are the guitars you listed actually unpleasant to look at, or are they just unremarkable or boring to you?
>>
>>65914554
electric guitars are totally unrefined in their design in a way that classical instruments with hundreds of years of history just aren't
most instruments are beautiful but this >>65914491 is just an ugly hack
>>
>>65914504
I'm a mealfag. The only guitar I want for metal is an RG.
I'll admit I used to want a V or X edgy shaped guitar back when I started.
>>
>>65914476
jazzmasters and jaguars are cool
>>
>>65914554
>actually replying to this shit
It's just a bored underaged googling pictures of guitars
>>
>>65914295
Music theory, if you know what you need to learn you could find the information everywhere. If you don't, which you implied, then it'd be better if you found somewhere that had some sort of "road" or course to follow.

Justin guitar is free and it's listed in the OP, I personally wouldn't recommend it past the beginner stage if you're serious about music, but if you only care about guitar then it's ok.

http://www.musictheory.net/
Works well to start with, although it can be frustrating because it really starts from zero and you might feel the need to skip, but just go through it.
>>
wdhmbt
>>
Something i'm working on: r8/h8, is it gr8? is it crap? Average? Any suggestions?
>>
>>65914922
oops forgot link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhk1sTv4Ffc
>>
>>65914922
>>65914943
gr8, but I'm only a mere plebian
>>
>>65914922
>>65914943
sounds great
>>
>>65914922
>>65914943
I like it. First 55 seconds kind of make me think of sun kil moon but not sad.
>>
>>65914869
I gigged with a 4X12 and it was fucking ridiculous. I traded it for a 2x12 and that thing still seems too big imo. I'm envious of ppl with loud and small single speaker tube combos.

/blog
>>
>>65915142
>>65915111
>>65915048
thanks guys, what do you guys think? Should I invest some time in finding a singer? Or does this not sound like music that requires vocals? Would It go over well performing this kind of stuff (just guitar that is)
>>
>>65915218
I have 20W and a 1x12 and I've never ran it at full volume, unless I had the guitar dimed.
>>
>>65915269
What is the song-writing process for you? How do you approach it?
>>
>>65915283
I have a 40w head. I had it running through 1 4ohm Celestion, hardly ever took the volume past 3 and I was really scared it was gonna blow when I cranked my fuzz/boost. It probably wouldn't have but still. Sounded like it was struggling kind of. That head is almost too loud.
>>
>>65915356
I take what ever I want the root to be, create a little riff. Decide how I want the chord progression to go and write another riff, then I glue the two together with a little build up/ambient portion. The problem is, when I write I dont mean to, but it's often in odd meters, and the meters often switch.
>>
>>65915269
I think it's interesting enough without vocals but I'm a big fan of a lot of instrumental music. I also think most people prefer vocals. I think you should try to find a singer but only if you are willing to write music with vocals in mind.
>>
>>65915391
>>65915356
to add: Much more flowing stream of consciousness rather than procedural or an abstraction
>>
>>65915396
fair enough, that little "song" that I posted, I can hardly envision vocals for it. That really is the problem with most of my music.
>>
>>65915469
Have you ever worked with someone else while writing? If vocals aren't your thing maybe somebody else could help with that part.
>>
>>65915618
now THIS is something I could get behind. Unfortunately the only guitarists I know like to play stoner rock and such
>>
File: 1457594510552.jpg (21 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1457594510552.jpg
21 KB, 620x670
>>65915650
>>65915618
however moving to victoria in a few weeks, hopefully I can find some other guitarists, because you know they're such a commodity
>>
>>65907286
got 300ish bucks n I need a delay pedal too
what do I get?
(wanted a strat but they're too expensive)
>>
>>65907558
the sg is gonna sound generally gayer every time
>>
>>65912790
>muh pickup
>>
>>65915269
I'd sing to it if u want, but idk how we'd put it together unless ur from canada
>>
>>65915671
victoria bc? i'd be down if you wanted to play skramz
>>
>>65915889
>>65915928
Yeah victoria BC
>>
>>65915942
still GTA so that's a no-go

>>65915889 here
>>
>>65915928
skramz? you mean like power chords with heavy distortion?
>>65915889
email me [email protected]
>>
>>65915969
>skramz? you mean like power chords with heavy distortion?
lmao, essentially
>>
post clyps
>>
>>65909710
>>65909434 here, personally I like Charvels but if I had the disposable income at the right time I'd buy one. I've had the opportunity to play a friend's a few years back and a partscaster built with spare parts from other HMs and they were both amazing. It's a shame they cost an arm and a leg for guitars from that time period though.
>>
>>65916837
here's some first take improv trash, since you asked
https://clyp.it/jrxbvkxg
>>
>>65907325
Don't learn scale patterns, learn what the scales actually are in terms of intervals.

Learn chord inversions and arpeggios.
>>
legitimately thinking about buying a second guitar just to keep in drop c
>>
>>65916837
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Dvcw7D4YuM
Have a low quality vocaroo instead

>playing in E standard for the first time in years
>every new riff I come up with sounds like a Sylosis ripoff
>>
>>65917016
Yeah, they go for like 600 or 700 on reverb right?
I also like Charvels, although I wish they did them again with Jackson's headstock and 24 frets... so I guess like a franken Jackson.
Anyway, it's all weird now with Fender superstrats because you have:
Jacksons from everywhere, which are cool but I'm not a fan of the trem in the lower end ones, awesome neck profiles.
Charvels, which are basically MIM Fenders with HH configs and FRs.
Then there's MIM Jacksons, which are basically the same, just with Jackson necks and the FR is two way instead of just "diving" without "pulling" like Charvels (or did they change that?).

I'm kinda lost on them, I just tried a DK2M Jackson and I loved the guitar, I just wish it said Charvel, different inlays, and 3 way instead of 5 way switch.
>>
>>65917285
sounds good, nice clean playing
>>
>>65917352
Likely my last reply for the evening, but I'm currently looking into either a So Cal or San Dimas (likely the So Cal) and both have recessed Floyd tremolos, but to my knowledge the So Cal has hotter, higher output pickups so I'll probably swap those out with PAF-styled humbuckers since I like the aesthetic of the So Cal, want a classic 70s "brown sound", and don't feel like dishing out extra cash for an EVH or other guitars.

Catch you around in another /gg/, m8
>>
>>65917384
Thanks friend
>>
File: shit strat knock off.jpg (999 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
shit strat knock off.jpg
999 KB, 1152x2048
>$70 strat knock off
neck and body on this thing isn't too bad to be honest. feels good to play, but the fucking electronics and tuners are ass. insane static when i move the volume and tone knobs, and the A tuner is pretty much broken

never had a "real" strat before, so I'm not sure how to compare the playability of it. although I'm pretty sure a fender is better than a chink dupe. any other poorfag guitarists here?
>>
>>65917831
why the sock?
>>
>>65911983
so a solid state amp being fed into a tube amp is a no go?
>>
>>65917486
Damn, sounds great, good luck with the search.
>>
>>65917913
mutes the strings when doing lead-y stuff. im not skilled enough to mute the strings while i play, im more of a rhythm/chords guitarist
>>
>>65917913
so he can tap and cheat sweep
>>
>want to learn to play guitar
>epiphone guitars on sale so buy an acoustic and an electric
>the acoustic guitar is a lot easier to play (designed to be a beginner guitar with ultralight strings, so chords are a lot easier to play)
is this better for learning? or should i learn with the electric?
>>
>>65918302
swap inbetween both of them so you can just get used to the feeling of using other guitars. use the acoustic to learn and use the electric for practice. practicing with your electric will most likely make you super-fucking-amazing with the acoustic, and more confident with playing.
>>
>>65918302
I started on electric when I was 10 and actually liked the electric strings better than the acoustic ones, but that was mostly because of what I listened to at the time and I didn't listen to anything with an acoustic in it. In your case I'd recommend starting with whatever is more suited to what you listen to.
>>
File: image.jpg (1009 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1009 KB, 2592x1936
I love my V
>>
>>65918544
I want a V.
>>
>>65918557
Lewd...
>>
Is the Fender front man 212 a good investment?
>>
File: IMG_20160605_235744945_1.jpg (4 MB, 3006x5344) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160605_235744945_1.jpg
4 MB, 3006x5344
>>65912985
Oh fuck never thought I'd find another lts fan on /gg/

I love TKs style of playing so much, just learned abnormalize, a 7 days wonder and unravel
I really need a Phaser and delay

I have no answer to your question though
>>
i want a d
>>
i've been practicing for a good while and i just bought a guitar strap, but i can't find a comfortable length to play and my wrist hurts, i need help /gg/
>>
think 2 lead guitars 1 rhythm 1 bass is too many guitars in a band?
>>
>>65919473
Sit down in a comfortable position you can and usually play for long periods of time, strap the guitar while in that position and make sure it stays at that height.
If you also hurt your wrist while playing sitting down then you need to check the angle you grab the neck or how you play.
>>
>>65919483
anything more than 3 guitars is too much imo
>>
>>65919483
Only limitiation for number of members is practical reasons to have them, affording to pay everyone on time, and being able to play with them on tour.

If two guitars can do the job, then two, if one then one.
>>
>>65914922
>>65914943
That sounds lovely, Jayo.
>>
>>65919483
2 lead guitarists, 1 bassist, no rhythm guitarist. one does some solo work, and the other does the rhythm/chords underneath it. switch inbetween the solo/rhythm stuff in sections of songs
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2193x3263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2193x3263
>>65918544
That looks great with the covered paf
>>
>>65919787
there's just one section in one song where i need a third guitar and i have to overdub it. guess i'll have to have a measure where rhythm drops out and lead can pick it up
>>
>>65919603
it's too damn high
how can i lower the height without ending with sore wrists
>>
Hey /gg/ I'm in the market for a cheap practice / modeling amp. Should I buy a Vox mini3/mini5, Vox VT20, or Roland Micro Cube?
>>
>>65920035
Well, if the height looks dorky to you, here's two ideas:
Put your hand and forearm straight, and put your hand as if you're holding a can. Now, you want it to ideally be like that when you play, you can move it a bit but not too much.
So what you do is play with with thumb over neck like hendrix, or put the guitar neck at an angle away from you so that you can grab it, etc.
Or grab like a wrist band/strap used for gym like really tight, or a medical one, one use it, not to play all the time but play with it a few times so you figure the position the guitar has to be so that you don't feel strained.
It's like the neck pointing away from you, dunno how to describe it, but you'll need to find out naturally what it is because it depends on your hand size, fingers, wrist, etc.
I'd take a picture of myself showing ways to do it, but come on, we all figured it out, you can do it too.
Just don't go retard, do take care of your wrist and fingers, otherwise you'll end up like keith richards.
>>
why does Black Arts Toneworks shit not use a battery ever
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Bump
>>
So I have my action and relief set reasonably but the E and A string still buzz/fret out a tiny bit.

Do I need more relief or action?
>>
File: 20160624_211714.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160624_211714.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Question: Can i put this in this?

I got an akai headrush e1 online and to my chagrin, it doesn't take batteries. i'll avoid getting a powersupply as long as i can so does this power supply for my yamaha keyboard work?
>>
File: 20160309_183023.jpg (4 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160309_183023.jpg
4 MB, 3984x2988
Who /mememachine/ here?
>>
File: capture.jpg (464 KB, 2221x623) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
464 KB, 2221x623
Is this a good bass. it looks sick

ibanez srff
>>
>>65921906
You gotta find out what voltage and amps it needs, and polarity. Most of my stuff has a center negative, that adapter is center positive. Try Google the correct adapter specs.
>>
>>65913814
you did good, anon. once you get it all setup good you'll love it even more
>>
>>65922113
>fanned frets
>>
>>65919651
thanks m80
>>
>>65922300
are fanned frets bad?
>>
>>65922113
>needing 5 strings on a bass
>>
>>65921906
I googled it. You need 9VDC at 165mA, center negative. You can buy one with the specs at radioshack without the tip, then pick the right size tip and put it in backwards. It will reverse the polarity. It explains it in the instructions. They're like $8.
>>
>>65914476
maybe look into ibanez or prs for a more 'modern' looking but usable guitar.
>>
File: partyman.jpg (15 KB, 273x250) Image search: [Google]
partyman.jpg
15 KB, 273x250
>>65914943
shit's beautiful, man. I really like the fluttery timing hammer/pull bits. has a very, idk word for it, but like comfortable, surreal sound like cat stevens acoustic stuff. very nice
>>
>>65922315
yeah, 13th chords man
>>
>>65915269
The way you have it written in the video, don't add vocals. The world needs more good acoustic instrumentals. Besides, the way it is it's very melodic already, adding vocals over it might be messy unless you re-arrange it for a singer to sing over by having less guitar melodic verses.

>tl;dr leave it. shit's awesome
>>
>>65922576
thank you, this is honestly what I wanted to hear. I just hope its received well with a more general audience.
>>
>>65920035
You can try angling the neck up a bit more, might help. I'm kind of the same way. I don't gig or anything, just home recording as a passtime hobby so I always sit when I play and got used to it. Might have to just play standing up for a while and get used to different hand grips around the neck until wrist gets used to it.
>>
>>65922336
i aint doin that

will this shit work?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/outlaw-effects-outlaw-9v-dc-power-adapter#productDetail
>>
>>65914869
>wanting your drummer to be innaudible

This is fucking retarded. Either you've got a PA for the drums, in which case you should also be going to the PA, or you aren't able to turn up your amp to where it sounds best without drowning out your drummer.
>>
>>65922460
>fluttery timing hammer/pull bits
you mean the first riff?
>>
>>65922711
yeah you're right i got to hang the guitar low enough and now i just gotta get used to it

i find myself uncomfortable when i'm playing barre chords between the 1st and 4th fret but when i angle the neck it's all good, and i have to get used to that too because it feels kinda weird since it's my first time trying to play while standing up
>>
>>65922745
Probably. I was gonna say finding radioshack will be challenging. 500mA is more than the 160 or whatever tho. But it should be ok. It's mA not whole amps. So the current differences are miniscule. You just dont want the polarity wrong. I've ruined pedals that way
>>
What was the first song you learned?
Trying to get some songs to practice
>>
>>65923512
Smoke on the Water and Iron Man.
>>
>>65914042
he most likely plays shitty black metal so i doubt he can tell the difference
>>
>>65922312
fanned frets are the biggest sham in guitar history there is literally no difference
>>
does anyone have that video of that japanese guy playing the hentai bass he had with a bodypillow in the background
he was also wearing those surgical mask things
>>
>>65923512
some kind of monster, then I got a kill switch and learned know your enemy
>>
File: tele.jpg (63 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
tele.jpg
63 KB, 720x960
1/2
my tele, carved top, active EMG humbuckers, my workhorse
>>
File: hnnnnngh.jpg (111 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
hnnnnngh.jpg
111 KB, 720x960
2/2
the guitar on the right is mine, epiphone wildkat royale. the other two are my g-mas and will be passed on to me.
>>
File: 1415846944545.jpg (113 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1415846944545.jpg
113 KB, 768x1024
>>65923656
You mean this one?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCYZdw2ouOs

Also, his twitter has a cool video with that same bass, but with an animu grill on the fretboard: https://twitter.com/smichang
>>
Anyone play classical? What are some good progressions and shit that I can just fuck around with and make good sounding music? I'm bored of playing Romanza 50 times in a row lol.
>>
>>65923806
yes that one thank you anon
>>
How can I make my boring fucking les paul special ii look not so basic? Any customization I can add? I know its a starter guitar but there's nothing really good looking at my price range
>>
File: 20160625_001642.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160625_001642.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
I guess I'll post my tele
>>
File: headstock.jpg (54 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
headstock.jpg
54 KB, 720x960
>>65923512
first song i learned to play all the way through was Outshined by Soundgarden. First riffs were peter gunn theme, smoke on the wter, and bad to the bone
>>
>>65923879
USA or nah? I won't make fun of you if its not USA, my tele is from indonesia and it plays better than any other ive gotten my hands on
>>
Do you consider this >>65914943 almost classical? If so me.

The only classical songs i've learned are turkish march, funeral march and La catedral III movement, so I can't say I know a whole lot. But you're asking for chord progressions and thats the one thing you don't ask for, because that's what classical music is all about, deciding which chord the song should go next, as opposed to learning a set progression. However a good one to play with is Pachabels canon it goes:

I- V- VI- III-IV-I-IV-V
>>
>>65923872
stickers and neon strings (=^‥^=)
>>
File: animu bass.jpg (327 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
animu bass.jpg
327 KB, 1536x2048
neva bin dun befo
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.