[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does metal kind of suck????????
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
So, in some metal thread today, someone was griping about a bunch of bands saying they're just "poser metal" and then was posting morbid angel and stuff. Listened to Morbid Angel for the first time in a while, and while enjoyable, was distinctly lacking what makes me enjoy music. The constant growling, negativity, in your face brutality, it just gets old so quick. If we're being honest, the peak of metal is thrash.
>>
>>63237740
>the peak of metal is thrash
Eh, i like what people would call 'pop metal' - i'm not one of those 'it has to be heavier than a black hole' type of people.

Give me grooves, man.
>>
>>63237778
is 'pop metal' pretty much melodic metalcore and groove metal?
>>
>>63237796
Bro, even slayer is pop metal. Basically anything that isn't insanely technical or sounds like it was recorded on a goddamn moldy potato is considered pop metal.

I love Gojira for instance - elitists call that shit pop metal.

As far as melody goes - it's all in how fruity you want - bullet for my valentine's choruses are super poppy - hell even Master of Puppets and And Justice For All is considered pop metal by elitists.

All in all - douchie group of people.
>>
>>63237740

I don't get the whole idea that people are so angry with metal...

escpecially this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXtfNWlpx8Q
>>
>>63237778
Yeah, and blast beats don't have that for me. I like SOME blast beats, but when the song is constant tremolo picking and blast beats and growls it's just annoying. Cartoonish, even.

>>63237843
Funny, I don't get the whole idea behind BEING so angry.

This is coming from a Today is the Day fan. I love pure anger, but I also like other emotions too.

The shit you posted is pretty middle-of-the-road desu.
>>
>>63237915

Maybe it comes with different cultures to have different feelings, or it's just something you're born to like

And yeah, they're a straight up get up metal-outfit. They're just in it for the music and the possibility that you MIGHT enjoy it, but it isn't for every desu-senpai-whatveryouwannaclassify yourself as.

It's about either liking it, or stop bitching about it
>>
>>63237740
Oh hey there poser, I linked plenty of songs without "constant growling" and "in your face brutality", just check out the thrash, power, heavy/speed, and doom sections >>63235791
>>
>>63238060
Power metal is gay as fuck bro - gayer than bullet for my valentine.
>>
You have to have the spirit of a young man to enjoy metal. Exodus said it themselves. Metal is for young people(teenagers and middle school kids).
>>
>>63238111

Then I'll stay a happy manchild :)
>>
>>63238096
That's because you've never heard the good stuff, class 80's power metal is where it's at
>>
>>63238111
checking

and it's true when I was a young gun I loved it.
>>
>>63238133
the stuff that guy posted just sounded like sad iron maiden rip offs

To me it's the same thing with Stoner bands and Black Sabbath

Just listen to Sabbath, they are the originators, and they're 1000% better
>>
>>63238167

Are you sure you're not just unhappy with the approach newer bands took ?
>>
>>63238187
The approach the newer bands took is one of either complete lack of originality or extremity to a cartoonish degree (See: Rings of Saturn, fun band, not much better than novelty, though).

I'm making generalizations, as there are metal bands that stand out, but let's be honest here, most of the new bands coming out are either those cartoonish type, super bro-accessible, or that awful "djent-prog" shit that won't go away.
>>
>>63238241

But isn't it the whole point of a genre to decent from the older styles ? Like when dopethrone paid tribute to black sabbath by using the god is dead-riff in dark foil ? while still creating a newer venture ?
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 500x489
You're all wrong, folk metal is where it's at, beer, vodka, women, folk tales and war - what more could you want in music?

In all seriousness though, the only branch of metal that I'd personally consider poser metal is metalcore and deathcore, as it attracts a large teenage following. With people that listen to 'kvlt' black metal or older death metal they are always going to be elitist and call people out on listening to lighter stuff.

For me though, the metal I normally listen to is melodic death metal (Be'lakor, Mors Principium Est, Heathen Foray) as it has that mix between the harsh growls and (sometimes) clean vocal choruses, as well as usually having better riffs and solos than other genres imo.

To each their own though, everyone has their own taste in metal, if you listen to A7X and Atreyu, or Tsjuder and Marduk, good for you, but let people listen to what THEY enjoy rather than what you enjoy.
>>
>>63238300
Wimps and posers should leave the hall.
>>
>>63238319
But whay exactly constitutes a poser? Someone who listens to a particular genre of metal? Or perhaps pretends to know everything about a band and doesn't? I am still unclear about the definition when people use the term 'poser' as people seem to use it to fit their ideals.
>>
>>63238350
A poser is someone who mainly listens to metal bands that only label themselves as metal for the street cred. Pantera in essence are just southern rock mixed in with hip-hop grooves, bû they tune low enough, feign aggression, and occasionally push out a thrashy riff so they get that delicious metal cred while at heart being nigger music for hillbillies and emos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw2C4JDL_X4
>>
>>63238434
Pantera is poser metal because they went from hair to groove but they are still metal
>>
>>63237740
Metal has more emotions than just aggression. I mean, it is pretty universally negative, but to me, it has the best soundscapes in relation to fantasy, or misanthropy, or depression, apathy, etc. I can supply examples, there's a lot to the genre that's not visible on the surface level.
>>
>>63238591
They are false metal, not real metal.
Slamming brutal death metal, for example, is death metal by definition but in essence is hip-hop, it's metal but in spirit it aligns itself with hip-hop.
>>
>>63238241
Most new bands in most genres don't stand out, though. You're not really saying anything with this statement.
>>
>>63238707
Who cares if something is "false" or "poser"? How do you even decide if it is? It just seems like an arbitrary decision to convince yourself your taste is superior in some way.
>>
>>63238707
bro wtf are you on about

>>63238739
yes yes 90 percent of everything is shit but I say it's creeping closer to 100
>>
>>63238773
Kill yourself poser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsNIJLY6Ubc
>>
Metal is something you grow out of, no matter how much you think of your preferences, be it some old school hairy heavy or brutal death, hipster black or mathematical bullshit, dronedoom and other suicidestoner shit, raw 1st and 2nd wave blackmetal, some gay powermetal, nu - it's all the same shit which becomes the embodiment of cringe after you give it a couple of years of educating yourself.
>>
>>63238951
Yes I am sure we all educate ourselves and start listening to the beautiful art that is 'rap' or 'pop music'. Hah. Get out.
>>
>>63238809
Upon what evidence are you basing this claim? How recent does a band have to be to be "new"? What do you wish metal was offering that it isn't? Have you found no releases in the past decade that stand out to you?
>>
>>63238951
Need to add that progressive stuff can sometimes be interesting, but extremely rare. Mostly it's just good old psychprog rock all over again, "now with brutal sound and amateurish music" edition.
>>
>>63237740
>distinctly lacking what makes me enjoy music
>me
you not wanting negativity in metal is just a personal preference. there are plenty of people who do. why should we care about your opinion?
>>
>>63238951
What qualities of it make it something to "grow out of"? Liking a certain sound and the emotions it carries across doesn't have to be a phase, nor does it have to be an identity. I listen to metal and many other genres, appreciating each for what it is. I think it's childish to say that you will "grow out of" an entire genre. You're making some implicit value claim on the entirety of the genre, and such generalizations can get you to miss out on a lot of good music.
>>
>>63238991
So that pasta "everything but rap and country" now became real huh?
There is more to music than that.

>>63239081
I haven't missed anything, I used to be heavy into metal for long years, and listened to everything that remotely comes to popular in every possible subgenre and many lesser known stuff, even from <2000 listeners category (at least at the time).
What about qualities - overall childness, literally something your grow out of. It consists of immaturity of vast majority of artists in the genre who are 20+ yo white unsocial males, not even the rap kind of antisocial where you are fucked up but at least outgoing and easygoing, but the shut-in angry loser type, with unkept long hair, yeah, straight from the picture as they say.
That type of worldview limits the personality and in consequence all outputs of that personality. And you've gotta admit it. Just look at the faces of your favourite metal artists, then look at the faces of actual artists of other genres, such as psychedelic rock, indie rock, jazz, blues, even idm. It explains a lot.
Lyrics are either banal and depressing, overly aggressive or just plain bullshit about some demons and occultism and whatnot. This stuff might blow your mind when you're in highschool and you haven't heard anything quite like it yet, but then you realise it's time to stop crying in your room and move on with your life. I'm a person who usually don't give much fucks about lyrics, but they force that too much. Don't even get me started on extreme vocals, this is what little kids do when they are spoiled and mommy didn't buy an icecream.

cont.
>>
cont.

Music is just plain meh compared to rock in most cases. When a band tries to sound pure it's still not nearly as technical or melodic as decent rock, and it's all gets boring too fast because of the very exact and narrow definition of what metal is, not much room to improve and experiment compared to almost any other genre really. When they decide to add some unusual instruments they usually go for some cheap samples and DAW synths instead of actually fucking performing and recording interesting and authentic instrument. This is just inferior, that's a bit blunt but it's not that far from truth.
And the whole crowd is kinda cancerous and self-destructing as an industry really. Musicians alienate listeners by overly harsh vocals and bad recording quality, listeners alienate each other by insulting each other over which guitar effect is truer or something, this whole thing is just a farce, style over substance as it is, all you need is to act like a grumpy silent ass and paint your face in feces and fans will cream their pants over you. You don't even need actual music, just scream and jerk off with guitar strings in some dusty basement, you can record and sell that anyway.
Lastly, I've met a lot of different people of many backgrounds and of many ages. Whoever listened to metal was either a child (some students too, the mama's boy kind), or a manchild. Yeah, the best it got was a guy in his mid 20 who did drugs on regular basis (mostly hash, some hallucinogens from time to time) and worked some lower-tier job, at least not burgerflipping (though he did that before). The rest is much worse. Those who didn't listen to metal were actually successful persons with lots of different hobbies and self-made lives. And no, they didn't listen exclusively to pop either, actually better educated in music than average mutard for the most part.
>>
end.

Yes there is some decent metal, sure, but it's very rare. So rare. Good-to-bad ratio of this whole scene is atrocious, worse than that of any other scene. And the rest is not just average, it's usually utter trash with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and it's not worth wasting your time on that.
>>
>>63237835
>Bro, even slayer is pop metal. Basically anything that isn't insanely technical or sounds like it was recorded on a goddamn moldy potato is considered pop metal.
no, not at all anon what the fuck

pop metal is stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5BqyluKkk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmr5XJw_c7Q
>>
>>63240253
>>63240225
>>63240200
nice pastabait anon
>>
Lesson from this thread = Metal elitists are the most bitchy elitists of any genre.
>>
>>63240572
metal elitist here

yeah some classical or jazz elitists can compete but we basically are the bitchiest
>>
>>63240572
Despite ''muh brutality!!!"
>>
>>63240200
>It consists of immaturity of vast majority of artists in the genre who are 20+ yo white unsocial males
Not even an argument but regardless, autistic and strange people are good at making memorable music so if anything this should be taken as a positive trait of the genre.
>Just look at the faces of your favourite metal artists, then look at the faces of actual artists of other genres, such as psychedelic rock, indie rock, jazz, blues, even idm. It explains a lot.
What on earth are you going about, you'll notice similarities in the type of people within every genre of music. Even then this isn't an argument against the music itself you're just focusing on superfluous details about the people making the music, if you've taken all this time to simply bag on the personalities and appearances of the musicians then it's pretty obvious that you haven't put much thought into why you find the music to be so immature.
>Lyrics are either banal and depressing, overly aggressive or just plain bullshit about some demons and occultism and whatnot
Well sure, it's meant to be heavier music so band members naturally write about heavier stuff. Plenty of bands are more intelligent with their lyricism and you should be able to name at least 20 since you're such an aficionado. Even then caring about lyrics in general is an absolute pleb opinion and shouldn't be taken seriously.
>but they force that too much
Not really, you only feel that way because it's a departure from what's quotidian in lyricism, plenty of artists write strictly about love songs yet I doubt you'll complain about them "forcing it too much" because it's become something naturally ingrained within the musical climate. Sure there are bands that are trying too hard with what they do but most just write darker lyrics because that's just what flows with the music, a band like Infester could center their lyrics around romance and relationships but it just feels more natural for them to take a darker approach.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.