[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For example, if I told you, "Kill the Japanese",
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9
For example, if I told you, "Kill the Japanese",
>>
File: 1asad3234ddf322g.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1asad3234ddf322g.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>Muffled Jibun Wo in the distance
>>
Code Geass was like watching Destiny but at least someone got the good idea to turn it into a comedy.
>>
She really did it.
The absolute madwoman
>>
>>13910085
CG is barely a comedy outside high school parts.
>>
>>13910048

Behold, the most retarded and convenient contrivance for things going wrong, quite possibly ever.

Almost ten years since R1 aired, I still don't think anything that stupid has been written since.
>>
>>13910085
I'd say Code Geass was more campy and tongue-in-cheek than an actual full-blown comedy per se. It's also very different from both SEED and Destiny in general, which were often dry.
>>
>>13910095
There's been plenty of far more stupid content in shows that take themselves more seriously, both before and after the fact (see VVV, AGE). This is almost like Guillotine Gorrilla from Samurai Flamenco levels of dumb.. It's WTF, but in a way that is openly fishing for audience reactions. They could have easily gone with a less amusing and more mature alternative, yet chose not to.
>>
>>13910140
>both before and after the fact (see VVV, AGE)

Yeah, you have JINGLE BELLS and everything to do with Lu, but this is worse because it's just the grandest fucking convenience ever.

>Okay, now I have never said anything like this at all, and nothing about my character hints that I have a fondness for making jokes about genocide, but I will make that joke at this moment when nothing else can screw up this peace process, and as I'm saying it, my eye will just happen to activate, thereby dooming this whole affair because the plot mandated that I say the absolute worst thing for no reason.
>>
>>13910048
He should have gone with the "strip naked and dance" joke instead.
>>
>>13910048
I would have just had the phrase be "suck my cock". Not because I think the geass will activate on its own, my mind would just be in the gutter.

Not sure why Suzaku would want to kill me at that point other than jealousy
>>
>>13910154

It feels like the the plot was set to wrap up and then they got the order to make more and the writers had to slam the brakes on the plot and write something in to stop everything from finishing and just went for the stupidest shit ever. How does someone make that joke unaware that the eye power they have to consciously awaken and use is active? It's just dumb, and if they were fishing for reactions then they succeeded, because I didn't watch any more of the show after that point and soured on it completely. Not that I was majorly in to it even before that point, but it was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back in my case.
>>
>>13910154
Oh, plenty of things could have screwed up the peace process including his own original intentions. This was just one of the crazier and least predictable methods, because they wanted to make the audience go nuts. But the guy was already established as having a big ego, loud mouth, dropping his guard around his sisters, generally screwing up, etc. Even the eye thing was foreshadowed with the mind reader episodes ago. Genocide jokes are still very contrived, no doubt, but that's the point.
>>
File: eating_a_leaf.gif (994 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
eating_a_leaf.gif
994 KB, 200x300
>2016
>people still talk about Code Gay

Why ?
>>
>>13910167
Lulu would rub it in.

And by that I mean rub his cock in her face, while Suzaku watches
>>
>>13910140
There's this thing called melodrama.

I can't claim AGE had any of it (my instincts tell me it doesn't, though), but stupid bombastic reactionbait is the bread and butter of melodrama.

Also it's a fucking Okouchi melodrama on top of that so you can't really claim there's a sense of absolute seriousness to it all for better or worse.

If you learn to relax and not take the structure of a story as rigidly defined serious business, you learn to enjoy the tonal whiplash of going from being full of shit one moment to stone face serious the next... unless you're suffering through Guilty Crown but I insist that show suffers from only going half-Okouchi when it should've been an all or nothing deal in terms of episodes written.

But still it's a dramatical farce, what point is there in treating it with absolute seriousness in the first place when by its nature it's a load of bullshit? Relish the absurd irony of the situation, I say.
>>
>>13910172
This isn't really true though. The staff had always planned to end the show with Lelouch getting killed by Suzaku, so a "happy ending" where the Special Zone plan worked out was never a remote possibility. They also got approval for a second season like ten episodes before, around the middle of the first series. So this isn't the result of having to improvise a "bad" outcome for her plan. It's the opposite: they wanted the plan to spectacularly fail in such a crazy way that it would get the audience's attention, not in a regular manner that be too typical. Don't forget the show was already over-the-top to start with, not like the more "down-to-earth" Gundams. We also have no clue if there is any physical way to tell that the eye was activated either, so that's hardly clear. As for your reaction...you may have stopped watching, but the rest of the Internet and the paying consumers sure didn't. This wasn't produced as a serious show for serious people.
>>
>>13910234

I wasn't saying it was definitely true, just that that's what it feels like. And while I do enjoy serious shows, I don't enjoy them exclusively and am quite happy with much less serious stuff like Xabungle or King Gainer and even some that mix the two like Gun X Sword - I just don't think Code Geass was ever that great and was probably even looking for an excuse to drop it by the time I got to that point.
>>
>>13910167
I'm pretty sure most guys would already be using the Geass to get blowjobs all day every day rather than trying to start a revolution.
>>
File: 1386707586976.gif (3 MB, 238x268) Image search: [Google]
1386707586976.gif
3 MB, 238x268
>2016
>People still don't realize these shows are comedies
>>
>>13910215
Guilty Crown had the issue (among other problems) of lacking the influence of Taniguchi, who is a surprisingly campy director most of the time. Thus the melodrama from Okouchi plus Yoshino was combined with Tetsuro Araki's "darker and edgier" style of directing in GC, which can still be amusing at times but generally feels less aware of its ridiculous nature and more like desperately trying to be "too cool" for the kiddies. This also comes through in the aesthetic itself, comparing CLAMP ridiculously long limbs, cartoony faces and colorful retro uniforms with a colder, sleeker near-future fashion sense that felt like Evangelion meets Ghost in the Shell.
>>
>>13910263
VVV S1 might have been aware of its nonsense, but S2 became too grimdark and less goofy, which was a big mistake.
>>
>>13910263
>Valvrave
>anything but a fruity gothic romance story about two boys sharing everything together

It's only the gayest horror story ever told!

>>13910266
The direction really wasn't a problem so much as the narrative being jumbled across two or more show concepts. Too many ideas not enough time.

GC in terms of visual flair earned every right to be 2cool4school whenever the void ribbons flared up, by all means Araki was a fine call.
>>
File: 1453591233019.jpg (548 KB, 1280x1530) Image search: [Google]
1453591233019.jpg
548 KB, 1280x1530
>>13910292
>The direction really wasn't a problem
>>
>>13910243
Ironically enough, I think Gun X Sword was closer to the spirit of Code Geass (almost as a prototype or at least alternate version) in some ways than any of the tryhard "Geass clones" have been in recent years. Just telling a story from the opposite perspective, more or less. But yeah, the show itself isn't really all that excellent. It's mostly entertaining fluff with occasional quality content in between the craziness.
>>
>>13910154
I dunno, I just rolled with it. I find it hilarious to think that Lelouche is some sorta cosmic cat's toy and he just had the worst of luck while making what is comparable to a dead baby joke
>>
>>13910140
>This is almost like Guillotine Gorrilla from Samurai Flamenco levels of dumb..
Its nothing like that though.
CG was a twist in th end of the season just to keep the conflict going, and it required the characters to be stupid.
In SF it was the start of a conflict and it didnt require any twisting of a previous statement or character, it came out of nowhere.
>>
File: nLsvG.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
nLsvG.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>13910292
>GC in terms of visual flair earned every right to be 2cool4school whenever the void ribbons flared up, by all means Araki was a fine call.
>>
>>13910279
You got the moon episode, shut up.

Learn to take halfsies.
>>
>>13910307
Are you blind, illiterate or both?
>>
>>13910167
Surely there's a doujin of this already.
>>
>>13910317
I was gonna ask you the same thing. Anyone who thought GCs direction was fine shouldn't be taken seriously.
>>
>>13910319
A trilogy actually. Code Eross
>>
File: saki.gif (863 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
saki.gif
863 KB, 400x200
>>13910279
Season two's highlights:
>school massacre
>whatever this is (sorry for the awful quality)
And that's pretty much it.
>>
File: 1386805384655.gif (3 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1386805384655.gif
3 MB, 350x197
>>13910336
There were quite a few other highlights, like Haruto & L-Elf having their gay moment on the moon, the Dorssia leader getting revealed as an alien, and little minor moments like this.
>>
>>13910304
Both came out of nowhere and were stupid in the eyes of the public. SamFlam had plenty of stupid characters, so let's not go there. Specific context is different, yet the plot device is similarly the last thing the viewing audience would have expected. Both provided something that could have been accomplished in a different manner. The conflict didn't really need Euphemia to go nuts and kill people. She could have been outright killed or wounded by a third party assassin or brainwashed into shooting Zero. Guillotine Gorrilla wasn't really the only possible option available to start a conflict either. Plenty of more traditional and less outlandish enemies could have been used for that sequence.
>>
>>13910336
Fuck I don't even remember that thing.
>>
>>13910315
If you took the extreme opinions of those 13 year olds added them to your own dislike for the series and divided the sum by two, the result would be fairly accurate. Not a masterpiece, not shit, but kind of in the middle.
>>
>>13910292
Araki didn't just handle the pretty visuals and nothing else though.

The staff has said Shu's personality reflected Araki's and other creative choices were made which must have had his input too.
>>
>>13910303
That's part of where the 2ch term "Lulu quality" came from. It's amusing to see fate treat Lelouch as something of a cosmic play thing.
>>
>>13910060
YAAAMMMEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>13910416
Even the staff treated a fair amount of Lelouch's suffering or distress as something of a running joke. You can tell they were amused by making him look this >>13910060
>>
>>13910412
Again a lot of my issues are with the writing and how it feels very discontinuous with itself, for lack of a better word.

To look at it another way, it's as if someone was adapting a VN, but they just jammed a bunch of branches and segments together without care for if they actually connected together as a single route and the story was just shat out to satisfy the need to put Shu here and there for events to unfold in the mess they were arranged.

If that's a failure of the director, then fine Araki fucked up. But that's the most that peeved me about the show. Someone really fucked up in planning.
>>
>>13910428
Eh, I think it's just how some of the dudes at Sunrise animated faces at the time

For example, check out those eyes >>13879759
>>
>>13910477
I'd say it's both. This is more exaggerated than MH's. There's also the picture where Lelouch fails at basketball or something, among others.
>>
>>13910297
There is a reason it's called a train wreck. It's an entertaining trainwreck, sure, with some surprisingly good moments, but it also still ultimately trainwreck.
>>
>>13910688
>>13910688
>There is a reason it's called a train wreck
Other than being an ill defined buzz term people use to dance around the issue of ironic entertainment?
>>
>>13910095
It's like deus ex machina the anime.
>>
>>13910279
S2 doesn't exist.
>>
>>13910737

> ironic entertainment

Otherwise known as entertainment. Ironic is just a buzzword people used to dance around the fact that they enjoyed something and are not quite comfortable with admitting it because they're afraid people will judge them for enjoying that particular thing.
>>
>>13910688
Knee-jerk reactions are not a particularly good reason though, especially not in retrospect. The show was entertaining, which isn't a bad thing, and ultimately reached a very appropriate conclusion. That's not bad at all.
>>
>>13910751
People have definitely forgotten what DEM means, I see.
>>
>>13910776
It does though.
>>
>>13910688
It's closer to a rollercoaster that risked becoming a wreck at times, but somehow reached the station safely, IMO. It didn't leave me with feelings of hate, guilt and/or indifference (Destiny, Valvarave, Comet Lucifer, Nobunaga the Fool, etc)
>>
All of this goes back to Yoshiyuki Tomino and how he both saved and doomed the mecha genre.
>>
>>13910091
It was funny for the... wrong reasons.
>>
>>13910932
Show wants you to be amused at silly stuff happening. How can that be wrong?
>>
>>13910336
Stop hurting Saki, she is made for loving not torture!
>>
>>13912430
Actually, she likes both...

As to 'trainwreck' and all that - who cares? If you watch it and like it, thats all that matters - Have fun, watch schoolgirls get slaughtered and all that jazz
>>
>>13910204
>But the guy was already established as having a big ego, loud mouth, dropping his guard around his sisters, generally screwing up, etc.

And yet not once was he bugfuck retarded enough to make a joke about ethnic cleansing until the absolute worst moment for no fucking reason other than that they needed an excuse for the show not to end.

>OH HEY EUPHIE, NICE DAY ISN'T IT, BOY WOULDN'T IT JUST FUCKING SUCK IF I JOKED ABOUT KILLING ALL THESE PEOPLE FOR NO REASON?
>>
>>13913130
He never was in any equivalent situation either, giving an example of his power to a random person..Keep in mind that I'm not asking you to like what happened though. If you think it's BS, that's okay. But it is a proven fact that the show was never supposed to end there, nor was there any lack of ways to continue it. It wasn't "we ran out of ideas", it was "man, they're not going to see this specific one coming!"
>>
>>13910048
My greatest regret is not dropping this shitfest at this moment.
>>
“Life is just one big train wreck,only interrupted by brief commercial breaks of happiness. This was a really long commercial. so now back to our regularly scheduled trainwreck."

Sums up Lelouch's life pretty perfectly.
>>
>>13913503
Whereas I am glad I didn't. Hated that dumb moment but really liked the following episodes.
>>
>>13913600
Lelouch's life wasn't all that happy, save for brief moments, though he still won out in the end.
>>
>>13913215
>>13910095
It wasn't a joke, it was an example. One that makes sense too, it wasn't contrived.

Lelouch was trying to explain to Euphie the absolute obedience that his Geass instilled on people. Something harmless like "if I told you to do a hundred jumping jacks" wouldn't be a good example because nobody is morally opposed to that even if they wouldn't usually do it. "if I told you to kill all the Japanese" is a perfect example because it's something Euphie would never in a million years do, it's such a great example that it's the first instance we see of someone trying hard to resist the Geass when it accidentally activates.
>>
>>13910048
I haven't laughed my ass off like that since.
>>
>>13913629
It feels contrived because of the extreme example Lelouch chose: it was the one which would cause the most damage as a Geass command. If he had literally said anything else, then we'd have a mostly harmless scene and Euphemia's plan would still proceed to mess up for other reasons without needing to go that far.
>>
>>13913663

The point was to select an example that Euphemia would specifically never consider.

The 11's were her darlings; She'd never dream of harming them; That's why Lulu was willing to let her administrative zone have a shot: Any other person in the royal family would have an angle, Euphemia's angle was "I want to see the Japanese happy and prosperous.".

Also, It's Lulu we're talking about... What show did you watch that Lulu would make a moderate or tempered example... or statement... or speech...
>>
There's literally nothing wrong with that scene. You must be a fucking retard to not have seen all the forshadowing.
>>
>>13910048
"Now I want you to answer a question: what is with all these tiny hats?"
>>
>>13913854
>The point was to select an example that Euphemia would specifically never consider.

I don't know, blowing him is probably still up there.

But his penis doesn't work anyway

>>13915499

That's just CC, Euphie doesn't wear hats
>>
>>13915529

Oh boy... This is the highlight of my evening.

She's still Euphemia of Britannia... No matter how hard they try, the apple always lands in the shade of the tree.

Euphemia would freaking marry Lulu if it meant she got to be the 11's savior princess. She'd ditch her useless knight and trade for the poof terrorist in a heartbeat.

He was trying to convey "I have the power to turn people's dreams inside out. I can make fair foul and foul fair with a glance."

The biggest mistake for the direction of this scene was that Lulu was given the opportunity to notice the mistake. He nearly had a mishap in a safe enough environment, and suddenly the cunning resistance leader doesn't even follow up on "I almost ordered random shmucks to kill themselves. I didn't willingly activate my power. I need to investigate." Note he even managed to avoid harming civvies by canceling before the order could take hold.

An additional scene or replacement scene of Lulu ordering his less obedient underlings and having him confused at their sudden and uncharacteristic loyalty and bearing would have helped sell the scene better, especially considering Lulu with his massive ego might write it off as getting the respect he deserves.
>>
>>13916544
>She'd ditch her useless knight and trade for the poof terrorist in a heartbeat.
Do you seriously believe that?
>>
>>13916633

For the 11's?

He's an 11 too you know... He's half the reason she's so kind to them.

Yes, she would, if it meant they'd all be safe and happy.

Especially if it means he'll be safe and happy as well.
>>
>>13916639
>being this in denial
You're a shipperfag aren't you
>>
>>13916741

I don't care about anyone in the CG setting other than Orange-Kun.

Fact remains that she'd do nearly anything for the Elevens. That's why "Kill the Japanese" was the example; It's the one statement he could make that she would violently reject, which would convey to her the magnitude of his power.

And then it actually did convey it to her...
>>
>>13916754
I didn't argue about that. You seriously think Euphie was just pretending to like suzaku in order to be popular with the elevens?
>>
>>13916770

No.

I'm saying that Euphie would give up Suzaku for the elevens, even if he's the most important eleven to her.
>>
>>13916779
You seriously haven't been paying enough attention to the show, have you. Watch 22 again. She wasn't doing it for the elevens, she was doing it for nunally.
>>
>>13910140
>Chopping Chimp
>Bad
You shut your whore mouth
>>
>>13913600
>deadpool movie reference
it starts
>>
For example, if I told you "go shopping for clothes in a soup store"
>>
>>13916791
Quite the opposite. It's dumb but not necessarily bad.
>>
>>13917631
What about it is dumb
>>
>>13913663
Such as his initial plan to geass euphemia into shooting him?
>>
File: Code Geese.png (1 MB, 1264x4892) Image search: [Google]
Code Geese.png
1 MB, 1264x4892
DID SOMEONE SAY CODE GEESE?
>>
>>13918916
I remember seeing that thread live. I also recognized the bulge, though I'm not the one who made the post saying it.

It's been almost nine years.
>>
>>13918916
Thank god I wasn't here for that, since it's like a bunch of immature babies suddenly realized that 99% of anime characters have no genitals showing.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.