[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calling Patricians: Specific Requests Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: help-yourself-help-others.jpg (27 KB, 625x500) Image search: [Google]
help-yourself-help-others.jpg
27 KB, 625x500
Hey guys. I was thinking we could have a specific requests thread. I want to keep the thread concise and informative, so please don't go off on irrelevant, ironic tangents. To prevent this, let's not make requests for 'books about love' or anything vague of that nature. Rather, specific topics of interest would be appropriate. I'll start:

1. I'm looking for nonfiction or fiction (not Augustus or I, Claudius) that deals with the life of Julia (specifically her exile), daughter of Augustus.

2. I'm looking for nonfiction/critical theory that comments on a viewer's natural tendency to collapse differing stimuli into one individual stimulus (this could be aesthetic, but would preferably be critical theory pertaining to literature).

3. Nonfiction on the limitations of the novel

4. Nonfiction on genre theory

Thanks for responses and I'll contribute as much as I can. Hope everyone finds what they're looking for!
>>
>>7886624
help yourself :)
>>
>>7886629
Can't, I'm seeking assistance.
>>
>>7886624
>4. Nonfiction on genre theory

This is still pretty vague. Do you want an introduction, or an specific analysis on a certain genre, or what?

As for your third request, the same. The limitations of the novel as a narrative genre? Or within a certain framework? And if so, what framework?

The first two are quite specific, but unfortunately I can't help you with them, sorry.
>>
>>7886661
>Do you want an introduction, or an specific analysis on a certain genre, or what?
Introduction would be great. Just an introduction, proper, into structuralism and genre theory as it pertains literature. I should've specified. Im interested in how patterns within a novel reoccur.

I suppose this merges into my second request, for im also interested in how certain laws of genre restrict the novel, yet must restrict the novel (plot, characters, and so forth). Any critical theory on that would be great (again, introduction is fine, if there is one. Im fairly well read and can handle most theory).
>>
>>7886624
Julia, Daughter of Rome
The Daughters of Palatine Hill
Julia Augusti: The Emperor's Daughter
Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor
>>
>>7886898
you really really dont need to bump threads on /lit/
>>
Does anyone have that "start with the Greeks" image that had the blue background?
>>
>>7886912
I know, but threads do tend to fade into obscurity without at least a few replies originally. for instance, this is probably the most intriguing thread on /lit/ right now: >>7886322
Not a ton of replies though.
>>7886906
Thanks a lot, have you read them?
>>
File: Purgatory_(Purgatorio).jpg (42 KB, 438x477) Image search: [Google]
Purgatory_(Purgatorio).jpg
42 KB, 438x477
>>7886624
didn't think this question was best for a new thread

which translation of dante's inferno is best and is penguin edition acceptable?

thanks
>>
>>7886704
Alaistar Fowler's Kinds of Literature: An Introduction to the Theory of Genres and Modes

Also read his essay "Genre and the Literary Canon". Just google it and a pdf from jstor will appear.

After that, just follow Fowler's bibliography.
>>
>>7886704
Also, Wittgenstein wrote something about literary genres, but I cannot remember the name of the text. You'll have to look it up.
>>
>>7886955
Penguin's edition is done by Kirkpatrick and I've not heard good or bad about his translation.

Mendelbaum or Ciardi is typically preferred
>>
>>7886988
Thanks a ton, this is quite helpful.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.