[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The church is getting more and more proggresivist. How long until
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9
File: pope-francis.jpg (61 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
pope-francis.jpg
61 KB, 620x349
The church is getting more and more proggresivist. How long until we see the first atheist Pope?
>>
this is the first progressive pope in a long time.
Last two before him were pretty conservative
>>
File: Pope-Francis-Dove.png (359 KB, 570x855) Image search: [Google]
Pope-Francis-Dove.png
359 KB, 570x855
Asshurt American conservative detected.

The Church doesn't play by your rules. The Church is beyond your petty left-right squabbles, since it predates the very idea of 'left' and 'right.' The Church was ancient before 'conservatism' was even a dream in a stuffy English Whig's eye.

Don't dictate to the Bride of Christ what 'progressive' and 'conservative' are, and how it should approach modern politics.
>>
Dude he believes in satanic possession. In an interview in Argentina he told how he met a lesbian couple on a plane and one of them spoke to him in a satanic growl.
>>
>>803047
Wow you're a faggot
>>
File: 1406470074119.jpg (39 KB, 279x330) Image search: [Google]
1406470074119.jpg
39 KB, 279x330
>>803056
I dont know about the demonic possession part but I do believe in growling lesbians
>>
>>803047
The euphoria is blinding.
>>
>>803044
"Conservative" relative to Francis, maybe.

>From a Protestant background, Brother Roger undertook a step that was without precedent since the Reformation: entering progressively into a full communion with the faith of the Catholic Church without a “conversion” that would imply a break with his origins.

>Brother Roger received the Catholic sacrament of the Eucharist at the Catholic Mass celebrated every morning in his monastery, and he received the sacrament from both Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI, seemingly in contravention of canonical prohibitions on administering the sacrament to those not in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. According to Cardinal Walter Kasper, this was accomplished as though there was a tacit understanding between Brother Roger and the Catholic Church "crossing certain confessional" and canonical barriers through what Brother Roger called a gradual enrichment of his faith with the foundations of the Catholic Church including "the ministry of unity exercised by the bishop of Rome." [3]
>>
Its hard to believe Catholics these days are anything but sedevacanist.
>>
>>803099
If they were mostly Sedavacanists, they'd probably be in communion with the Orthodox Church by now.
>>
>>803099
Sedevacantists are heretics. If they truly loved the Church they wouldn't have left. They are schismatics, just like Protestants and Orthodox.
>>
>>803018
Don't worry; Catholicism is only growing in conservative areas (especially Africa and Latin America), whereas it's shrinking in Europe. It's likely that we'll see Catholicism become more (socially) conservative in our lifetime.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 440x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 440x314
>>803056
>>
>>803107
>the bishop of Rome having absolute power is all that matters, guyz
>>
>>803106
>>803107
Ah sorry, I just realized how poorly my sentence was written.

Its hard for me to believe that Catholics can be anything other than sedevacanist, it just seems like the only way to stay true to the old teachings.
>>
Maybe they'll give out a whole glass of wine for eucharist
that would be awesome man I'd convert straight away
>>
>>803018
>The church is getting more and more proggresivist
How so?
>>
>>803125
Sedevacantism is pretty far from old teachings. Since when it is an "old teaching" that you get to choose which Pope is legit?
>>803018
I'd rather see a black Pope. Africa is pretty conservative now, unlike Eurocucks
>>
>>803129
Unitatis redintegratio
Lumen gentium
Nostra aetate

This too
>>796896
>>
>>803144
I'm sure sedevacanists find legitimacy in countering modernity and the inferiority complex that comes from being a niche minority in the college.
>>
>>803156
>from being a niche minority in the college.
what college? Cardinals?
Those arent Sedes
>>
>>803144
An African Pope is coming, I can feel it. God, I can't wait. Watch the postmodernists in American and Europe squirm when he continues JPII and Benedict's push back towards medievalism. It will be great.
>>
>>803018
What would make Bergoglio a leftist?
In his youth he frequented a peronist/fascist group called Iron Guard. And the role of the catholic church during the argentinian dictatorship is well known: "just throw them off an airplane, it´s the christian way"
>>
>>803018
I often wonder how many of the people in these threads were actually raised catholic, or who just fell in love with the pre-vatican II church over the internet and are now mad the pope no longer wears a tiara and denounces classical liberalism

This pope hasn't changed anything. All he has done is say some things that appeal to the left. Saying your not "judging" someone is not the same as approving homosexual relations.

Vatican two changed the liturgy, not dogma, it did open the way for alot of interpretations that conservatives don't like,
>>
>>803161
I can't wait either.

Granted, I don't think Francis is the worst thing to happen to the papacy ever (there are way worse who actually were unapologetic bastards like the one that exhumed a guy's corpse just to defile it out of spite) but I still would love the zeal we could get from an African Pope.

And the inane lunacy we'd get from Protestants screaming "BLACK POPE ANTICHRIST END TIMES t. ALFREDO RIVERA!" like complete dipshits.
>>
>>803018
You are seeing it. And probably the majority of cardinals as well. They just can't come out in the open about it because of opposition inside the Vatican and to appease to third worlders
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if there already was like 10 secretly atheistic Popes already.
>>
File: Bonifatius_viii_papst.jpg (14 KB, 166x266) Image search: [Google]
Bonifatius_viii_papst.jpg
14 KB, 166x266
>>803018
There you have it.

>‘There was no Jesus Christ and the Eucharist is just flour and water. Mary was no more a virgin than my own mother, and there is no more harm in adultery than in rubbing your hands together’.

(A History of the Popes, Dr. Joseph McCabe, Rector of Buckingham College; d. 1955; C. A. Watts and Co, London; also, Encyclopedia Britannica; Pope Boniface VIII; c. 1234-1303; pope from 1294-1303).

http://www.vatileaks.com/vati-leaks/the-fake-gospel-of-jesus-wife
>>
>>803179
>tfw you don't care about the liturgy so long as the Sacrment is valid
>pic related

Personally I also believe the Holy Spirit made him Pope just to stir things up among lukewarm laity by say accurate church teachings in such a way that non-Catholics will confront Catholics thinking "OMG GAY MARRIAGE IS COMING TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!" and Catholics will need to learn to evangelize and defend the faith by knowing what it says and where. Taking that example, the Catholic will then respond "no, it is not and never will, the Pope said "as long as those with same sex attractions live chaste live like how we want straight folks to live (that is, no sex outside marriage [the only sex that is valid is contraception-free vaginal sex between a man and woman open to conception and children thus two people of the same sex can't be that ever], full monogamy and is 'till death do we part," then I don't care if a Catholic is gay, they jaunt have to live by the same rules everyone else does. They will never get married by the Catholic Church.
>>
>>803222
Francis isn't one of them, though.

If anything, Francis seems more devout than the average Pope. I've seen people say he's like what would happen if their local parish priest became Pope, and I think that's about right.
>>
>>803313
And how'd he fuck with our doctrines?
>>
I for one am against further Progressivisistismificiationizationism.
>>
(Muslim here)

How is Francis even progressive? Has he differed with Church dogma on anything?
>>
>>803351
Secular media spins.
>>
>>803361
Yeah, I'm aware. But I've also heard a lot of Catholics say "Francis ruining everything baka", so I was wondering.
>>
>>803351
He hasn't.

He's just stating parts of Church teaching that certain members of it have liked to ignore or forget.

I'm a faithful Catholic and I like it. It's nice to be reminded that our faith is a radical thing.
>>
I keep getting mixed messages. as far ask I know, he hasn't really REVERSED any doctrine has he?

he's still pro-life, anti-gay marriage..I understand if you're a /pol/ catholic you would despise him but I think he fits well with a socially conservative worldview.
>>
>>803375

See >>803179
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 400x348) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 400x348
>>803319
Shit just realized I forgot pic
>>
>>803324
>In the field of canon law Boniface VIII continues to have great influence. Earlier collections of canon law had been codified in the Decretals, published under the authority of Pope Gregory IX in 1234. But in the succeeding sixty years, numerous legal decisions were made by one pope after another. By Boniface's time a new and expanded edition was needed. In 1298 Boniface ordered published as a sixth part (or Book) these various papal decisions, including some 88 of his own legal decisions, as well as a collection of legal principles known as the Regulæ Iuris.[30] His contribution came to be known as the Liber Sextus.[31] This material is still of importance to canon lawyers or canonists today, to interpret and analyze the canons and other forms of ecclesiastical law properly. The "Regulae Iuris" appear at the end of the Liber Sextus (in VI°),[32] and now published as part of the five Decretals in the Corpus Iuris Canonici. They appear as simple aphorisms, such as "Regula VI: Nemo potest ad impossibile obligari." ('No one can be obligated for something impossible.') Other systems of law also have their own "Regulae Iuris", whether by the same name or something serving a similar function.[33]
>>
Nah, he's more of a Muslim.
>>
>>804085
Now explain it to me like I'm 5.
>>
>>804143
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regul%C3%A6_Juris
>>
>>804143
A concupiscent, murderous, pedophile atheist Pope is considered a holy man, chosen by the holy spirit, and infalible by catholicucks to this day.
>>
>>803119
I make fun of Catholics even then
>>
>>803200
You need a psychiatrist.
>>
>>803018
Pretty sure there's been a bunch of atheist popes.
>>
>>803222
These guys are born shrewd schemers, I'd be amazed if any of them believed this nonsense.
It's the temporal powers that motivates all men, regardless of their high-minded claims of piety.
>>
>>803018
There have already been dozens of atheist popes. The Borgias weren't exactly known for their religious piety.
>>
>>804606
Why?
>>
>>805711
And now they're all in Hell. :^)
>>
File: Keys[1].jpg (11 KB, 225x195) Image search: [Google]
Keys[1].jpg
11 KB, 225x195
>>805734
>implying the pope can't just use the magic keys that God gave him to unlock hell and step out
>>
>>805742
>he thinks that's how Peter's Keys work
>he doesn't realize those keys are to Heaven only and also symbolic of papal authority
>>
Atheist pope?WTF? I think,that it will never be
>>
>>805734
It was established during the Donatist controversy that even wicked clergy have valid sacraments, but I think the idea they can actually be granted Christ's power over the Church is questionable.
>>
File: *snap*.png (209 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
*snap*.png
209 KB, 1000x1000
>>804203
>>
The Church of Africa will never allow this to happen. They are very pious.

>>803319
Exactly.

Gay men that remain Chaste are very respectable.
>>
>>805751

There probably already has been.
>>
>>803018
As long as there is anything we don't know about reality religion will exist. And unless a new 'thing' happens and a new world religion is established the Pope will always believe in god.
>>
>Pope since the dawn of the Papacy:
>"God decides the outcome of battles"
>Britain wins a war with Argentina for the Falklands
>This Pope:
>"W-W-We need to talk about it."
>>
>>803096

>Our magic cookies are for us only.
>>
>>805734
Yeah, with 95% of the dead Catholics.

>muh pope has da keyz
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.