[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Middle East
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4
Pigs were domesticated here, but Jews and Muslims can't eat them
Cannabis was domesticated here, but Jews and Muslims can't smoke it
Alcohol was invented here, but Muslims can't drink it
Cheese was invented here, but Jews can't eat it with meat
>>
your point being?
>>
>>46536
We're better off not being Middle Easterners.
>>
>>46605
Cradle of civilization was in the Near East. Also:

>>46458
Persians probably did as did other Iranian tribes. Probably Babylonians, Sumerians, Assyrians, and other civilizations too.
>>
>>46458
>>46605
>>46731
What the fuck am I reading?
>>
File: why.jpg (10 KB, 374x295) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
10 KB, 374x295
>>46458
>alcohol was invented
>cheese was invented
>>
File: DiezAlbumsFallOfBaghdad.jpg (4 MB, 4429x2786) Image search: [Google]
DiezAlbumsFallOfBaghdad.jpg
4 MB, 4429x2786
>>46458
>the middle east went to shit!

You can thank the Mongols for that
>>
>>47084
Muhammad ruined it first, bro.
>>
>>46963
The process for making alcohol was discovered.
The process for making cheese was discovered.

Better?
>>
>>46458
Judaism and Islam were reactionary religions fundamentally opposed to urban decadence and civilizational refinement.
>>
>>46458
>Live on coasts
>refuse to eat shellfish
I sense a pattern here.
>>
>>46458
>Cheese was invented here, but Jews can't eat it with meat
Is that true?
>>
>>47172
>The process for making alcohol was discovered
By bacteria, hundreds of millions of years ago, right?
>>
>>46458
Muslims can't smoke cannabis?
>>
>>46458
fuck off /pol/
>>
>>47645
Is this bait? I guess no one invented electricity either?
>>
>>47860
Are you perhaps referring to the Baghdad Battery?
>>
>>47860
You can only discover it, Anon. Nobody invented air either.
>>
>>47372
No. The majority of mammals cannot consume dairy. Europeans, various Central Asian/Turkic/Mongol groups, and a sparse few Sub-Saharan African tribes are the only mammals period that can consume dairy after infancy. Specifically they lack the enzyme lactase which allows the break down of lactose in milk. The production of this enzyme turns off after infancy. In the groups that can drink milk however, a mutation occurred such that production of it never turns off.

Mizrahi Jews for example are lactose intolerant, as are most Arabs.
>>
>>47943
That's what >>47172 said to you already.
>>
>>46458
>Cannabis was domesticated here, but Jews and Muslims can't smoke it

And so the Ḥashshāshīn were named after?
>>
>>47372
Depends on the sect but yeah they have a weird thing about mixing flesh and cheese being not kosher.
>>
>>47084
Yeah no it's Islam's fault
>>
>>48031
>And so the Ḥashshāshīn were named after?
A gnostic heretic.
>>
>>47964
HOW AM I ALIVE?

Oh wait, that's horse shit.
>>
>>48056
I don't get it. It's fucking delicious.
>>
>>48069
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance

Did you fall for the "We're all the same, genetics do nothing" meme, anon?
>>
>>48060

>under the influence of Islam the middle east reaches the greatest height and extent of power it's ever known

Islams 'fault' it got 'ruined'.
>>
>>48119
Lets learn together, friend.
Explanation of biblical law

The rabbis of the Talmud gave no reason for the prohibition,[6][7] but later authorities, such as Maimonides, opined that the law was connected to a prohibition of Idolatry in Judaism.[8] Obadiah Sforno and Solomon Luntschitz, rabbinic commentators living in the late middle ages, both suggested that the law referred to a specific foreign [Canaanite] religious practice, in which young goats were cooked in their own mothers' milk, aiming to obtain supernatural assistance to increase the yield of their flocks.[9][10] More recently, a theogonous text named the birth of the gracious gods, found during the rediscovery of Ugarit, has been interpreted as saying that a Levantine ritual to ensure agricultural fertility involved the cooking of a young goat in its mother's milk, followed by the mixture being sprinkled upon the fields,[11][12] though still more recent sources argue that this translation is incorrect.[13][14] Another explanation is the separation accommodates significantly the large percentage of the population, particularly those who are aging, who are lactose-intolerant.[citation needed]

The biblical suppression of these practices was seen by some rabbinic commentators as having an ethical aspect. Sforno argued that using the milk of an animal to cook its offspring was inhumane, based on a principle similar to that of Shiluach haken, the injunction against gathering eggs from a nest while the mother bird watches.[10][15][16] Chaim ibn Attar compared the practice of cooking of animals in their mother's milk to the barbaric slaying of nursing infants.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_and_meat_in_Jewish_law
>>
>>46458
I'm the only mapfag here who believes the middle east is sexy as fuck? I really wish it was in a different situation t b h.
>>
>>47798
Is this gonna be our new board meme?
I hate /pol/ and even I'm a little uncomfortable about the knee jerk reactions to anything remotely /pol/ish here.
>>
>>47084
It was turks desu. Mongols are just like, the super turk. The big brother of turks?
>>
>>48276
Every board has that meme desu.
>>
>>48276
/lit/ spergbabbys are stepping outside of their hugbox for the first time and having panic attacks when they are confronted with controversial topics, just ignore them
>>
>>48138
>Only Europeans, Turks, Mongols, and people from Kazakhstan can drink milk.

Did you fall for the "pol was right" meme, anon?
>>
>>48031
After lies spread by jelly enemies.
>>
File: Global-Lactose-Intolerance.png (142 KB, 754x420) Image search: [Google]
Global-Lactose-Intolerance.png
142 KB, 754x420
>>48446
The general trend is correct but he has overblown it to include all.

Similarly, you're being an "all or nothing" fag as a means of refusing to acknowledge where he is correct.
>>
>>48514
It's curious because spaniards eat a lot of cheese and dairy. The same can be said about turks and iranians.
>>
>>48232
Pretty sure all the retarded food bullshit in Judaism is for health reasons
>>
>>48636
I was wondering that re: Mexico given they throw chesse on everything.

Either they put up with a great deal of gastric distress for deliciousness or the more Indio among them don't consume as much.

Might have to consult some Mexibros.
>>
>>48733
I think there's degrees of lactose intolerancy, and the map doesn't take them into account.
>>
>>48069
Lactose intolerance doesnt kill you dumbass. Indians for example are more likely intolerant than tolerant, they still drink milk but just carry the consequences like smelly farts and not having time to take the poo to the loo
>>
>>48692
Yeah Leviticus was actually basically a survival manual for living in shitty levant squalor thousands of years ago.

Like trichinosis with the pork, shellfish can be questionable even when cooked properly given they are the sea's filtration systems.

I'd wager that this explanation
>Another explanation is the separation accommodates significantly the large percentage of the population, particularly those who are aging, who are lactose-intolerant.

Despite it's lack of citation in the Wiki is the most correct.
Can't make delicious jew proto-burgers for your mitzvah and have the more schwarz among the tribe get the runs.
>>
>>48514
Can I get a citation on this image? Googling has many contradictary results.
>>
>>48636
>>48514

Biologist here, most mammals are naturally lactose intolerant as adults. This is because most of them never drink milk after they are weaned. Evolution aim's for the most survival and propagation in the most efficient sense. Why would your cells waste energy synthesizing an enzyme you will never use after a certain age?

Then Homo sapiens go and domesticate some animals and realize milk is a really convenient food source. Some humans are mutants that continue producing lactase as adults and can continue digesting lactose. These don't starve as much and thus have more baby mutants and here we are today with different populations having different rates of lactose-intolerance (though as thats the default state we should really be talking about rates of lactose-tolerance) because of a multitude of genetic, environmental, and historical reasons.

Also percentages and trends are not be alls and end alls. If you can do something 90% of "your group" can't do it doesn't make the data bullshit it just makes you part of the 10%
>>
>>48918
This is via:
http://www.visualnews.com/2012/11/15/sweden-loves-their-milk-map-of-milk-consumption/
>inb4 non-scholarly

I'll look more for a paper but this reflects just about all I've seen.

>>48960
Fellow Biologist here, aware but thank you for sharing.
>>
>>47141
>>48060
>b-but pol is just a boogeymans!

Yeah nah you fucks are so easy to spot its unreal,go back to your containment board nobody wants you here with your autistic pop history and non constructive 1 line responses,anyone that studied the middle east history even if for 5 minutes knows that the only reason that middle easterners and mostly ones in arabia stopped being random travelling tribes doing fuck all was islam,to say that islam only made it worse just shows your ignorance on the subject and the fact that you're a storm faggot,if you're not gonna discuss history properly and just spout memes and shit talk anything that isnt HRE then fuck off back to pol.
>>
>>46458
They probably invented piece as well.
>>
>>46458
Hittites considered pigs as "dirty animals" and often didn't eat pigs too
>>
>>48918
http://anthropology.ua.edu/blogs/ant475/tag/lactose-tolerance/

Here is a better article.

This Nature one is also worth a look.
http://www.nature.com/news/archaeology-the-milk-revolution-1.13471
>>
>>49188
You know I agree with your point but when you type an assblasted seething autistic run on sentence you don't do your side any favors, either.
>>
>>46458
>Jews can't smoke Cannabis

On what did you base that? Jew here and there's no such thing that I know of in Judaism.
>>
>>49094
Source: A food company located in denmark. Hmmmmm.
>>
>>49506
There isn't anything specifically against it in either religion. Its just interpreted to be wrong.
>>
>>48817
>tfw Indian and not lactose intolerant
A-am I white?
>>
>>46458
>Cannabis was domesticated here

What? No, it was domesticated in China.
>>
>>49624
Aryan migration. Maybe.
>>
>>47744
They can use hashish though.
>>
>>46458
>Alcohol was invented here, but Muslims can't drink it
Wat
Pretty sure places that didn't have any contact with outside civilizations for a long time had discovered these desu
>>
>>48056
>>48232
This explains why the Jewish pizza I've had only had cheese.
>>
>>49188
>>49438
He is right though and /pol/ fags should know it, after talking about a history board for years and letting racist faggots ruin it when we finally get one would be fucked up.
>>
>>49188
>Middle-east full of random travelling tribes before Islam arrived.

Is this memes? I'm not sure which one is pol anymore.
>>
>>49514
>>49514
I provided two better sources later on.

The nature article is out of whack though, given they have Australia as 0% tolerant (they mean abbos in this case).
>>
>>49845
Right but what is also fucked up is letting a bunch of manchild sperglords ruin debates by shout /POL/ WAA GO AWAY every time they read something they don't like.

It just derails the conversation from history and turns it into a shit slinging match and I'm tired of anything that offends someone being a cause to immediately drop the topic and start shitposting here.

If someone is wrong, prove them wrong or shut the fuck up about it.
>>
>>46458
Seriously?

Sucks to be Jew.
>>
>>46458
Muslims never stop smoking weed and taking bong hits.

Confirmed for not having visited the middle east. You can't walk down a street without getting 20 bongs shoved in your face.
>>
>>47141
Islam made the middle east great until the Mongols.
It ended the warring empires, it brought peace and stability and then scientific advancement

>inb4 THEY JUST COPIED STUFF meme
Stop denying history just because you dislike their modern descendants.
>>
>>50002
Yeah you're right I guess it goes for both ways
>>
>>46458

wait what?
>>
>>48514
That image got debunked, check the lactose intolerance wiki talk page, theres a huge argument over it.

People eat dairy all around the fucking world. If you actually travel somewhere you usually find everything the internet says about it is wrong
>>
>>46458
The pig is sacred to the Jew. There's a story in the Bible about Jesus getting into a fight with a demon, he transforms himself into a pig and drowns during the fight. Then he comes back three days later, sees his shadow and goes back into his cave and we have six more weeks of winter.
>>
>>49855
He probably meant arabia

>>50103
And this is true it united the whole region for a time
>>
>>50135
>Wiki talk page is a better source

OK senpai
>>
>>48232

This was just made up. Retroactive justification for their retarded, authoritarian attitudes.
>>
>>49855
Didn't they teach you about the Caravans in 7th grade?!?
>>
>>50135
So I check the wiki talk page:
4. China is now encouraging the consumption of milk and dairy products. So far, I have not heard of an epidemic of dead Chinese due to Lactose Intolerance.
>dead Chinese
>from drinking milk
>lactose intolerance kills you

This is why wiki talk pages are not good sources for your claims, moron.
>>
Societies form taboos against things which actually exist in their region, OP. Why would they ban something that no one's using in the first place?
>>
>>49624
>tfw white and lactose intolerant
shit gets weird anon
>>
>>50135
http://nutrigenomics.ucdavis.edu/?page=information/Concepts_in_Nutrigenomics/Lactose_Intolerance

Here you go retard, if you actually bothered to read journals/articles maybe you wouldn't have to rely on dumbass shit like Wiki talk pages to spout your bullshit.
>>
>>48960
How is it that countries like China and Japan still have high rates of lactose intolerance, then? They had cows too. Did they just never think to drink cow's milk, or where the conditions in those countries already prosperous enough so as to not result in the famine that would cause the gene to spread?
>>
>>50249
See:
>>48854

I would agree with the idea that applying a narrative that some old rival they'd never forget over a sociobiological phenomenon is in keeping with that religions rhetoric.
>>
>>50000
>>
>>46458
I thought Cannibas was a New World plant.
>>
>>51703
It's from central asia kouhai
>>
>>48056
The idea was that it was dishonorable and kinda cruel to cook a child in its mother's milk, and if you had a supply of milk and a calf or lamb you decided to raise for a feast on a holiday, both the milk and the calf/lamb cam from the same source.

Nowadays I can be guarenteed (mostly through statistical chance) that my burger and chocolate milk didn't come from the same cow.
>>
>>50405
I don't know about the genetics, but culturally speaking I think milk consumption was considered by many Chinese to be a barbarian practice. Also, limited land for pasture, cattle being bred primarily as working animals, and the availability of soy as a protein source. Dairy has just never been a part of most Chinese cuisines until modern times.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.