[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is/was the most batshit Christian sect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 566x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 566x289
What is/was the most batshit Christian sect?
>>
>>355905
Catholicism.
>>
>>355910
Lol maybe.
>>
>>355905

Presbyterian
>>
All of them.
>>
mormons
>>
>>355905
Circumcellions. Beat random travelers with clubs so people would get pissed and kill them in retaliation making them martyrs.
>>
>>355948
fucking minmaxers
>>
>>355932
Definitely this. Mormons are generally extremely nice people though, they send a lot of missionaries to Europe and every time I meet one it's 10/10 best Americans even if I'm not interested in their heresy. I don't know anything about Utah but it breeds some serious bros.
>>
>>355905
Calvinists

I say that as someone who was raised as one and then worked on a theology degree.
>>
>>355905
Anabaptistic movement during the mid 16th century in the lowlands and west germany.

Imagine naked zealots attacking random
>>
>>355920
you have to eat the metaphorical blood and flesh of your saviour who was sent here only so he could die a horrible death by his father who isent his father but is actually a ghost but hes actually the guy who got sent here to die who is actually his father wich is actually a ghost but hes actually none of this because hes all of them at the same time, to confusing for you? im pretty sure it was confusing for who ever made it up to
also you will go to hell if some guy doesnt splash some water on your head
>>
>>355932
The Fundamentalist Mormons to be more exact. They live in their own cities and the boys are kicked out once they turn 16 or so because the old fuckers there don't want young competition and want to marry the teenagers there. Most of the men there have 4+wives that are generally 20 years younger than them.
>>
>>355969
This, those fucking cages are still hanging in Münster
>>
>>355994
Check out the showtime doc on them, fucking crazy
>>
>>355905
FLDS they split off from the mormons and live in their own city
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNDeZLPd05s
>>
>>356009
my b guys this is the documentary i meant to link
http://putlocker.is/watch-prophets-prey-online-free-putlocker.html
It's really interesting
>>
Puritans, followed by Southern Baptists, and then Mormons.
>>
>>355932
They're religion makes no fucking sense. Some of the nicest and most moral people on earth though
>>
>>356006

>>355994
Read "Under the Banner of Heaven" Its even crazier and Krakauer is a good writer
>>
>>355968
The concept of predestination freaks me out. The idea that grace is something God given, and that humans have no control over whether they receive it or not, sounds like a recipe for neuroses even among the most pious.
>>
>>355932
I wonder if there are any mormons on 4chan. I could see a few being /pol/lacks.
>>
Unitarians
>>
>>355979
>metaphorical blood and flesh

No, no, no.

Transubstantiation means that the sacrament is the LITERAL body and blood of Christ.
>>
>>355905
The Shakers, they were so into chastity they refused to marry and so they had no children and the sect's numbers soon dwindled
>>
>>355932
Fucking this.

I've always been interested in Mormonism, so when I met a Mormon person at my job I took the opportunity to learn more about their faith. The person actually invited me to a scripture study class with them which was surprisingly in-depth and I learned a lot about the particular nuances of their faith.

However upon researching these nuances more I just couldn't in my right mind call them correct. Their most egregious error, in my opinion, is how literally they take the Bible and how they believe in modern prophets. That, along with their beliefs relating to body/soul really threw me a curve-ball and went against just about every other faith I've studied.

With that being said the Mormon person in question is one of the nicest people I've met and I always enjoy talking to them, but the experience made up my mind on whether Mormonism was something I could see myself being part of or not.
>>
>>356111
There's only three of them left:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-g4iwC2yQ
>>
File: 1431132065972.png (610 KB, 817x720) Image search: [Google]
1431132065972.png
610 KB, 817x720
>>355948
>Because Jesus had told Peter to put down his sword in the Garden of Gethsemane (John 18:11), the Circumcellions piously avoided bladed weapons and instead opted for the use of blunt clubs, which they called "Israelites."
>Using their "Israelites", the Circumcellions would attack random travelers on the road, while shouting "Laudate Deum!" ("Praise God!" in Latin).
>The object of these random beatings was the death of the intrepid martyr, who sought to provoke the victim to attack and kill him.[7][8][9]
>mfw they're actually real

One wonders why they don't exist anymore.
>>
File: 1412982928159.jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1412982928159.jpg
32 KB, 480x454
>>355932
I actually used to defend their theology under the mistaken belief that they were just another protestant sect that maybe perform baptisms differently or had sabbath on an odd day.

Then I learned about the aliens, white indians, magic underwear, Italian-American Angels, and Satan being Jesus's evil twin.
>>
>>356117
I find it kind of ironic when a religious person criticizes how believably of other faiths.
>>
>>356127
>white indians

Actually, the Clovis peoples might actually have been of European origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clovis_point#Age_and_cultural_affiliations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean_hypothesis
>>
>>356142
>le super atheist

I criticize it based on how well it conforms with the generally agreed-upon theological framework that can be found in many different faiths in addition to Christianity.

Contrary to what Dawkins told you, if you look deep enough into different religious beliefs across the world you can start to grasp a sort of "objective spirituality" that they all share. They aren't just random collections of nonsense beliefs.

But of course you'll continue fedora tipping no matter what I tell you, so I'll stop there and go no further into this topic.
>>
>>356146
Highly doubtful
>>
>>356159
>Contrary to what Dawkins told you, if you look deep enough into different religious beliefs across the world you can start to grasp a sort of "objective spirituality" that they all share. They aren't just random collections of nonsense beliefs.

Not him but that seems like a retarded way to judge a religion (and idiotic in general).
In what way are these criteria "objective"? Why are "modern prophets" and a literal interpretation of a religious texts so unbelievable? Plenty of people believe that God still interacts with the world, I don't see how calling the ones influenced by Him "prophets" suddenly makes the whole thing less credible. Adhering strictly to a book often called "The word of God" sounds more logical than disregarding parts of it.

You sound really defensive of your so-far unstated religion but you don't seem to have any arguments other than a (dubious) appeal to popularity.
>>
>>356146
>>356183
Whether the Clovis/Solutreans/whatever were Indo-Europeans who set foot on the continent before the Indians is irrelevant. Joseph Smith made the "White Indians" thing up as part of his con.

Keep in mind he found the Golden Tablets via a mirror that god had given him so he could see buried treasure. He'd been doing this con for quite some time before he founded Mormonism.
>>
>>356127
>Satan being Jesus's evil twin.
>implying they're not the same person
>>
>>355905

Skoptsy. Literally the "let's cut our own balls for shit and giggles" tier.
>>
>>356183

No more doubtful than Indonesians or Polynesians or whoever colonizing Easter Island via goddamn canoe desu.
>>
I honestly find all of the Abrahamic religions to be pretty batshit.
>>
>>356187
>he found the Golden Tablets via a mirror that god had given him so he could see buried treasure

take it up with

>>354547

they love scrying and shit over there

what a fucking abomination.
>>
>>356277
Agricultural society able to provision far more reliably for a voyage and had a much greater culture of ocean exploration

Not implying that it was impossible, after all the ancestors of Australian Aboriginals crossed ocean >50000 years ago
>>
>>356184
>In what way are these criteria "objective"?
To use one example, asceticism and detachment from worldly things can be found in pretty much every faith throughout history. That detachment includes detachment from your own body. Mormons view the body as something sacred however, and are very attached to it. Hence, it goes against the grain of what pretty much every other religious sect says, sects that are much older and credible than the Mormon faith.

>Why are "modern prophets" and a literal interpretation of a religious texts so unbelievable?
Because what criteria makes someone a prophet? How will we ever know that someone really was visited by God and isn't just lying to us, even if everything else he says is true. The debate over who is and isn't a prophet is long and complicated.

As for literal interpretations, besides the fact that several aspects of the Bible have been proven to be scientifically false (6000 year old planet) even most hardcore theologians regard the Bible as a collection of stories meant to teach people the proper way to live, not as a 100% infallible book.

>I don't see how calling the ones influenced by Him "prophets" suddenly makes the whole thing less credible.
Refer back to my previous point. It's not an issue of credibility. For all we know Joseph Smith spoke nothing but the truth and interpreted the Bible perfectly, but that alone doesn't make him a prophet. Again though this debate is a long and complicated one that I really don't feel like getting into on an anonymous Mongolian cartoon board.

>Adhering strictly to a book often called "The word of God" sounds more logical than disregarding parts of it.
If this is true than all Mormons are committing a crime by believing in the Book of Mormon in addition to the Old and New Testaments. After all, if the Bible is the word of god and really is infallible, then adding another book onto the canon would be inconceivable.

>your so-far unstated religion
m8 im atheist too.
>>
>>356187
>He'd been doing this con for quite some time before he founded Mormonism.
He was quite clearly a swindler. This is a particularly funny piece of evidence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Abraham
>>
>>355968

I second this. Calvinist scumbag trashed our churches. Al Qaeda avant la lettre.
>>
>>356401
>As for literal interpretations, besides the fact that several aspects of the Bible have been proven to be scientifically false (6000 year old planet) even most hardcore theologians regard the Bible as a collection of stories meant to teach people the proper way to live, not as a 100% infallible book.
I'm going to throw in an orthodox position on the matter:

A literal reading of the bible is a reading most likely to produce a reflection of your own prejudices, misconceptions, and sins.

This is not a matter of 'disregarding parts', quite the opposite. A litteral reading disregards vast ammounts of context, literary mode, narrative motifs, etc. etc.

If you think the number 40 keeps coming up because of fucking coincidence, you're disregarding part of the bible, just not a part of the bible that is written on the page.
>>
>>356184
also desu as much as I would love to have a lengthy debate about theology and stuff with an anonymous person who may or may not just be trying to rustle my jimmies on 4chan I'm sorry to say that my last post is really all you're gonna get out of me.

So go ahead, call me an idiot or whatever, but at the end of the day if there's one thing I've learned it's that anonymous imageboards are not the place to have serious debates. And the fact is that I really just don't have the time or patience to deal with all the annoying aspects of trying to have a debate here.

So congrats, the dunce cap is on me. You've proved you're smarter than an anonymous individual on 4chan who may just be saying shit for the purpose of saying it.
>>
>>355979
You don't know anything about Catholicism, do you?
>>
>>355905
Catholicism.
>>
Lutheranism
>muh Jews
>muh solae
>>
>>356438
m8 there were sects who cut off their own balls, and ones that deliberately go to provoke people into martyring them in this thread. Stop grinding your axe.
>>
>>355964
They are not the best Americans, not by a long shot. I'm an American who lives in Europe (6 years and counting). Please stop slobbering on Mormon dick.
>>
>>355932
They're just what happens when a Muhammad-type gets to exist in a pluralist Western context

Mormonism is so wacky because both Brigham Young and Joseph Smith had only a peacemeal knowledge of Christian theology.
>>
>>356146
yeah no
>>
TAIPING
I
A
N
G
U
O
>>
>>356117
Raised Mormon here.

When studying faiths it's hard to read the book of Mormon and take it seriously comparative to other texts. Just the style itself has a feel of disingenuous imitation of the king james bible.
Mormons are really nice, I have other ex-Mormon friends and we're on good terms with current Mormons. Have gone to church functions etc...
That being said there's a lot of shallowness in a lot of their actions. I find most people are more concerned with their social standing in the Mormon click than they are with being good Mormons.
>>
>>355932
This

Good people though, love em, but they're Christianity on LSD
>>
>>355948
>Circumcellions
Looked into it, good Lord
>>
>>356458
Holy shit.
As a third party, it looks like you took three paragraphs to say "I'm not going to continue the discussion".
This is why fedora memes exist, it's not the beliefs, it's the attitudes and mannerisms associated with them.
>>
>>357069
This, taiping christianity is weird as fuck.
>>
There's an ancient church in Egypt which depicted Jesus with an animal head like an Egyptian god
>>
>>357228
christian gnostic
they also represented the Father as the penis, the Son as the testicles and the Holy Ghost as sperm
>>
File: revernd moon.jpg (36 KB, 306x423) Image search: [Google]
revernd moon.jpg
36 KB, 306x423
Hello /his
>>
File: url.jpg (12 KB, 281x179) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
12 KB, 281x179
> tfw you´ll never sell your body for your lord and saviour
>>
>>355932
I live in Argentina's capital, a primarily catholics and >developed nation and I have a fucking mormon missionary church two streets from my house.

They can't even understand spanish, I don't know what the fuck do they think they can accomplish here.
>>
>>356159
that would imply cultures are all the same, and that is simply impossible.
>>
>>355948
>circumcellions
>berbers

what the fuck is wrong with berbers. there's also super-extremist muslim sects that came from there
>>
>>357346

You wander around all day in 120+ degree heat and the sun so bright that it can blind you. Then, at night, you freeze like an icicle, and you never have any water, or at least not enough to be comfortable with.

It takes an extreme kind of person to live in that kind of hellhole, so it's not surprising that they apply it to other parts of their lives.
>>
>>355948

Does it count as martyrdom when you had it coming?
>>
>>357636
Being a prick doesn't change that you died for a cause.
>>
>>357265
>God's a dick.
Seems accurate.
>>
>>355932
I lived in Utah for a few years. Super nice people but i always observed that the difference between Mormon and Moron was a single letter.
>>
>>355905
Chalcedonian
>>
>>356146
WE WUZ CHIEFS N SHIT
>>
>>355905
Catholics. The Opus Dei are batshit insane.
>>
>>357305
Now they are The Family International!
>>
>>355932
They aren't Christians
>>
>>358924
How do you figure? What makes them not Christian?
>>
>>356109
Oh gee a canabalistic death cult.
>>
Skoptsy.
Believed that the genitals were the fruit of eden mentioned in Genesis, practices self castration
>>
>>359008
Pie jesu domine
Dona eis requiem
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.