[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there pretty much no material on actually getting rich?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3
File: penn-pepe.jpg (60 KB, 498x668) Image search: [Google]
penn-pepe.jpg
60 KB, 498x668
Why is there pretty much no material on actually getting rich?

I don't mean the self help platitudes like 'rich dad poor dad'/'fastlane', day trader fantasy shit, or the old 'put your money into vanguard funds/ETFs so you can buy a mercedes when you are 60' advice

I mean strategies/guides that deal with:

>finding and raising venture capital
>valuing businesses
>exploiting hipster trends
>how to find chinese factories to manufacture your shit
>dealing with international entities
>some profitable industries with low barriers to entry
>tax strategies
>how to restructure debt

I don't want to deal with this 'save money from your paltry income for 50 years' you idiots spew or 'JUS BELIEV IN URSELF WARREN BUFFETT DID THIS NOW PAY ME 200 FOR DIS SELF HELP SEMINAR', I mean advice on shit that is actually helpful as far as starting a business or that kind of thing that rich people tell their buddies and their kids but never seems to get written down. I have yet to find it, only the same hackneyed self help drivel.
>>
>why are there no book with peoples specific trade secrets

gee, I wonder why

[spoiler] there are anyways [/spoiler]
>>
>>1009207
yeah, well, can you help a bro out?
>>
>>1009215
how about this bro puts down his bong and beer then starts to search the internet FULL of free information and torrents and absorbs every piece of business information he can get his hands on while he does what he has to in the mean time.
>>
>>1009220
I don't smoke weed, nor do I drink.

I've tried very hard to find these kind of things- trade secrets and genuine business advice. It's like panning for gold.
>>
>>1009222
>>1005069
You NEED to start reading things, and read into them with an open mind. These books lead into other books, pdfs, articles if you aren't lazy and you research the tiny things you dont understand to clear the air. Eventually you'd have looked at whatever it is you're researching from plenty of positions and views that you'll be able to form your own opinion and do what you think is best.
>>
>>1009215
You want a industry with low barrier to entry. Registered Nurse. Its super high in demand right now and only requires a 2 year degree.
>>
I should have just said this earlier: Everything that you research is essentially a piece of this "book" you are talking about. It's just split into different places that you need to find and piece together like a puzzle.
>>
a lot of business specific advice is locked in the heads of the people running them and by the time they have a break to write the book its already changed significantly.

The only way to learn a business like this is to work under/with someone doing it today.
>>
>>1009227
My opinion, nor yours, matters. I'd rather put all my 'opinions' into the toilet since I honestly know little to nothing about business and want to learn from people who know what they are talking about.

>>1009231
I was considering it, but I think I'm going to get an econ degree.

>>1009232
Stop being intentionally abstruse. Either tell me where to look for such info or stop telling me all these riddles, it's not cute. I've looked far and wide and found no such thing.
>>
>>1009239
>waaaaa why cant you spoonfeed me everything i need so i can be rich
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
>>1009239
not an insult, genuinely asking
how old are you?

You want to get an economics degree but cant figure out economics without asking 4chan to spoon feed it to you?

just get a bartender job now and save yourself the college bill.
>>
>>1009238
are you chinese?
>>
I'll try. You should learn how to program in addition to whatever econ/finance degree you want. Get a CS dual major and go to a coding bootcamp during the summer. Business internships are worthless.

>finding and raising venture capital

http://startupclass.samaltman.com/

Y Combinator is the best startup incubator in the country and that link I just gave you has lectures from the most renowned VC investors in the world. It also has all the knowledge you need to start a business. Watch all the lectures.

>valuing businesses

Pretty hard to do if you're in tech. If you want to learn about DCF analysis for traditional companies (for equities or investment banking), there are books at Wall Street Oasis that can get you off on the right foot.

You're young. You should be hip. Figure it out.

No idea. There was some 20 year old white kid that made toys in China and made a bunch of money in the news. Look him up and cold email him or figure out what he did.

Don't worry about that until you have to.

I'm assuming low barriers to entry means super low i.e. some 18 year old with zero experience can make a lot of money off some industry. It doesn't really exist. Use your age and knowledge of technology to your advantage. Leverage it against old people. Learn how to build websites and solicit local businesses run by old people that know nothing about technology. It doesn't have to be building websites. Old people are awful with technology. Find rich old ones.

>tax strategies

Learn about tax loss harvesting, Roth IRAs and 401ks. Just google this shit.

>how to restructure debt

No idea and you don't need to know this unless you envision yourself as a bankruptcy expert or investment banker.
>>
>>1009206
There are. Warren Buffet read every book on money in his local public library while looking for them.
>>
>>1009242
Not at all. You're acting like you're concealing some holy grail.

All I want is helpful info. I'm not expecting to get rich in 3 seconds or to get spoonfed or whatever. You can't deny useful, genuine info is pretty sparse.

Is there any kind of starting point here?

>>1009245
Business practices and these kinds of things aren't really covered by an economics degree. I'm under 21 so I can't bartend, but I've definitely considered it once I can do it.

>>1009257
Thanks. What's with your fixation on tech/programming though? I have essentially no interest in doing a programming/tech job professionally.

I wanted to get into selling that fedorable vaping stuff but I had no capital to start off with as far as inventory, a store, that kind of thing. Now I'm considering phone repair/resale as it's pretty simple and can turn a good profit with high volume, low barriers to entry, things like that.
>>
Other shit you should be doing:

Be informed. Read Bloomberg and Hacker News.

Listen to hedge fund managers and other smart people in the world of finance. Subscribe to John Mauldin's newsletter. Get a student subscription to Real Vision TV.

https://student.realvisiontv.com/

Read Andreessen Horowitz's blog. This is one of if not the most eminent VC firms in the world.

http://a16z.com/
>>
>>1009267
>What's with your fixation on tech/programming though?

I'm involved with it. The vast majority of future growth will be driven by software. "Software is eating the world" blah blah. It's also the cheapest way to start a business. Phone apps and websites only cost man hours.

You should definitely a deeper understanding of programming in general. I wouldn't waste time with selling knick knacks. You're not really building any valuable knowledge or experience that way.
>>
>>1009267
Learn how to value a business. The key to wealth development is understanding what is undervalued and what is over valued.

That skill is known as "pricing". All the big swinging dicks in various industries will tell you they know how to "price" anything. Andy Fastow used to boast about his skills in that area even as he became a crook.

Wiki Andy Fastow.

Then learn how to value things.
>>
>>1009238
Li Sheng, what do you do professionally? I see you everywhere.
>>
>>1009206
Buy index futures and go with a leverage level your comfortable with. Even two or three times leverage will make a big difference. Kind of a different take on the tried and true buy an index fund advice.
>>
>>1009269
I already read hacker news occasionally and see all the strivers jerking off over startups.

I know the basics and have looked at these things. How do you sell your idea to VCs though? Despite what you tell me, it still is an old boy's network of sorts, 99% of tech VC is some douchebro MBA from a top 10 school exploiting nerds and selling their ideas off to firms like ycombinator. I don't hav that kind of network, educational pedigree, or business experience.

>>1009297
What about decay? Every hedge fund manager I've read has told me leveraged funds are a terrible long term investment. I know if you look at the history of something like UPRO it's impressive, yes, but all it takes is a 33% loss to totally wipe everything you have. Are you trolling me with telling me to buy 3x futures?
>>
>>1009306
>Every hedge fund manager I've read has told me leveraged funds are a terrible long term investment.
That's because every hedge fund manager makes money from people investing in, surprise, hedge funds. Every investment vehicle is worse for them because then they don't make money.

Pro tip: don't ever invest in a hedge fund. Buy the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF, VOO. Lowest fees of almost any ETF period, instant no-effort diversification, and it will *never* go to zero. Never. Besides, you can't beat the market.
>>
>>1009313
I know about how good of an investment index funds are. But I was purely talking about leverage like that guy was saying. To be honest I do think the scaremongering is a bit over the top, and one of the best mutual funds this year made most of its returns off leveraged funds.

I just don't know if he was trying to troll me or not. I mean leverage makes those things very volatile (look at UPRO's performance this year) and they can decay FAST. Holding on to them longterm would be scary.
>>
>>1009306
Do you mean the decay caused by contango in some funds that track futures, such as the VXX? Or the compounding losses that can occur with leveraged funds because they releverage daily?

Contango isnt an issue with the S&P500 minis because theyre almost always in backwardation, so they have a tendency to increase to make up for the lack of dividends. And with buying futures outright you control the leverage, but big crashes or corrections can trigger a margin call if your overleveraged. Using 3x leverage as an example, if the index falls 29% from its inital value this is would trigger a margin call. So some slight market timing would be needed. But if you used 2x leverage the index would need to fall 45% for that to happen, which is quite rare.
>>
>>1009206
It's not about skills, it's about capital: that's what you're failing to understand. If you have money, more money will come to you, assuming you're not completely stupid with it.
>>
>>1009322
I was talking about the compounding losses on leveraged funds.
>>
All the good practical knowledge is gonna come from podcasts these days. At least all the current "hot" ways of getting rich
>>
>>1009306
>Despite what you tell me, it still is an old boy's network of sorts, 99% of tech VC is some douchebro MBA from a top 10 school exploiting nerds and selling their ideas off to firms like ycombinator.

Not at all. The nerds run the show. For the young demographic, it's more like hardcore technical nerds from ivy leagues who have been jerking off to the thought of getting into YC since their teens. The majority of YC founders are mid to late 20s and the successful YC companies tend to have zero non-technical founders.

>I don't hav that kind of network, educational pedigree, or business experience.

The only part that you can realistically make enormous strides in is education then. I've tried to direct you, but the learning bit is on you.
>>
>>1009331
I'd say the top 3 ways to get rich "quick" right now are private labeling, app development, and affiliate marketing - in that order
>>
>>1009278
>I wouldn't waste time with selling knick knacks.

>Meanwhile, Amazon trading at $1m/share
>>
>>1009206
>>finding and raising venture capital

VC means raising $1 million+. Which means you already have "product/market fit". There's not a massive amount of guides on it because very few get to a place where they're in a company headed to the moon and just need some fuel to get their faster.
>>
>>1009206
Driven people with talent find that shit by themselves. For the rest of us mediocre fucks buy n hold index funds is probably the best.
>>
>>1009426
VCs aren't just involved in fast growing tech startups, you'll find VCs with interests in various types of business that have grown beyond angel size investments
>>
>>1009319
Leveraged funds are just that: leveraged funds. There's nothing scary about them as long as you understand how they work. If it's triple leveraged, that means instead of bouncing up or down 3% a day it'll be moving by 9 or 10%. And the "decay" thing is such a fucking load of bullshit. Yes, the managing company does skim a tiny fraction off the top every day for, surprise, managing it. But this amounts to a few percentage points total over literally years of holding. And the funny part? This "decay" applies to LITERALLY every managed investment vehicle, ETFs, mutual funds, all of it. All it is (also called "slippage") is the tiny fraction of the overall pot that the managing company takes out.

Hold on, this pisses me off so let me spoon feed you. I'll show you why decay literally does not matter at all.

Pic related. Red is Vanguard's S&P ETF, blue is a triple leveraged S&P ETF. Whatever the percent "lost" to slippage is so fucking tiny compared to the gain from having triple leverage, it simply does not matter at the end. When you go to sell your shares, they are valued at whatever they're valued at. Slippage does not fucking change that they're more valuable than the underlying asset.
>>
>>1009446
well, I have no talent

>>1010038
I'm not talking about fees. I'm talking about the decay due to daily rebalancing on something that is so volatile.

that's why short leveraged funds have to reverse split so often, the value goes into the fucking toilet over time

I like the idea of leveraged funds in many ways but all it takes it for the market to take a dump to send you to the poor house if you're using your strategy (holding your 3x SPY longterm). Will you have the balls to ride it out and wait until it rebounds or will you do what's in human nature and sell low?
>>
>>1009222
Why in the fuck do you keep bringing up "trade secrets?" The people who share trade secrets can already wrap their head around a plethora of business matters. There's no easy way anon.

Do the grunt work and deeply read into the area you have the most expertise in. The rest will stem from that knowledge.
>>
>>1009206

OP, do you mean advice on making money?

It's all over the board. It's all over the web. It's in tons of books in libraries everywhere.

What in fuck are you even talking about? You're as bad as the people you're complaining about.
>>
>>1009227

He also needs to hang around with financial people. Go to whatever financial district is closest to you, go to a bar at the time everyone gets off work. Mingle, socialize, suck information.
>>
>>1011315
>all it takes it for the market to take a dump to send you to the poor house if you're using your strategy (holding your 3x SPY longterm). Will you have the balls to ride it out and wait until it rebounds or will you do what's in human nature and sell low?
This applies to literally every single investment vehicle ever.

You can lose everything through VOO if you wanted. SPXL just lets you do it faster.
>>
>>1011364
so you're saying SPXL and UPRO are sound long term investments because "well if the market gets fucked then everything gets fucked anyway"? Seems kind of reductionist.

I guess a stop loss would remedy getting totally raped though.

How much do you have in SPXL? What percentage of your portfolio? What kind of gains have you made off it?
>>
>>1009220
This guy is conveying how to get rich. More eloquently, you need to cut out activities that aren't valuable and devote time to developing an idea. Obsess about it, research, act, etc. If it fails move on to the next one. Be iterative about your process don't expect to get it right the first time. The reason you're not making money is you distract yourself - women, video games, etc either continually or after meeting any difficulty.
>>
>>1011374
>sound long term investments
The market general trends up and to the right. Look at the picture in >>1010038. I had to google what reductionist meant but that's... literally how anyone comes to understand any system.

Anyway if you had dumped $10,000 into SPXL in 2012 rather than VOO, you'd have about twice as much money. I just don't understand why you have an issue with that.

>I guess a stop loss would remedy getting totally raped though.
A stop loss could be a good idea but only if you're planning on needing the money in the next 5-10 years. In which case you shouldn't invest it anyway.

>How much do you have in SPXL? What percentage of your portfolio? What kind of gains have you made off it?
None, zero, about $80 on a $500 robinhood trade a few months ago.
>>
>>1011384
>put all your money in SPXL longterm
>oh btw I don't have any in SPXL it just seems like a good idea, look at these graphs

I'd lend more credence to your ideas if you actually practiced what you preached. If going long on leveraged index funds is such a good idea why aren't you doing it?
>>
>>1011391
I knew you'd say that, that's not an argument.

How can you disprove what I said before? Look at the chart history of SPXL vs VOO. The S&P 500 always goes up. VOO follows the S&P. SPXL magnifies VOO. Are you trying to say that doesn't happen?
>>
>>1009206
Here is a tip to get rich fast, this is legit but also you can lose it all so fair warning.

Find a stock that has a bid of 0.0001. It is important that it has a bid at the time. If no bid you can't ever sell it back. If you find a stock like this in theory you can never lose money. Every time the stock rises 1/100 of a penny you double your money!

This is a bet that your stock will ever go from absolute nothingness to actually up enough to sell it.

Take a real example called Labor SMART LTNC.

This was 0.0001 only 3 weeks ago now 0.0009. You could have possibly even gotten 800% gains for 0 risk assuming you bought in asap.

What is the catch? Extremely few stocks have this price and fewer have any viability. Also there is a logical limit to how much you can invest. Sure its a bid now but if you buy 200 million and then want to sell, good luck finding enough suckers. Even 60M is dodgy.

If you did this say 10 times a year, you could in theory make 100k from 2k a pop investments.

That's my scam. Enjoy and good luck!
>>
>>1009206

Because there is no general formula o how to become succesful.
If you ask a succesful person on tips on how he ended up where he is and what you should do to become like him, he'd likely give you all that "believe in yourself" and generic financial advice bullshit everyone knows about already anyway.
Because there is no secret formular ro becoming succesful, to trick, no foolproof strategy, no step by step guide and no rules on what to do.
Every succes story is individual, depends highly on being at the right place at the right time and making the right decision when it counts.

Now I'm not saying success depends on luck, but what's really the only thing that matters is the ability to realize opportunities and to use them.
So the only thing you can do to learn how to be succesful is to read a lot of biographies of successful people and take a lot out of their stories. You'll never ever get concrete advice on what to do, because if you need to be told what to do in order to be successful, it's the best sign that you lack the ability to realize which situations or actions have the best chances of bringing success
>>

all of this is the current, temporary paradigm
making money involves slightly altering this and abusing it before anyone else can
>>
>>1009206
>>find chinese factories to manufacture your shit

Every business ever
>>
>>1009292
He's made a career of tripfagging.
>>
>>1009206
This thread is confusing...

Op, where do you want to make your money? From the op, it seems like you want to get into some form of widget retail/wholesale on an international scale with other people's money, lot's of other people's money.

Then the thread is all hedgefund, sophisticated financial instrument mumbojumbo and education/career advice.

Did I miss something?
>>
"Getting rich" (that is, making a bunch of money faster than you would by getting skills and a steady job) usually requires creatively exploiting something new, or working really hard in an established market (ie, starting a contracting company, rental outfit, etc).

Guess what... most people who are just thinking of "getting rich quick" are either lazy assholes or uncreative dullards. If they weren't, they'd be studying and practicing all the myriad skills that are necessary to successful entrepreneurship.

I would love to know more about just the legal mechanics of gathering investors, but at some point you just need a solid business plan, some seed money, and a lawyers advice. I would kill for a decent primer on this topic that isn't full of "how to win friends and influence people" self help bullshit.
>>
>>1011627
I don't have any specific ideas yet. I was thinking of selling chinese shit off taobao (like alibaba but only for chinese people, you have to use a proxy but it's much cheaper) and long-term trying to get a warehouse or something. But I think that's too competitive.

other people kind of hijacked it idk lol
>>
>>1011900
What would you sell, and where? Most of these DIY retail ideas sound like a mess--nobody goes to a webstore to buy random chinee plastic trash. If they want that shit, they go to a reputable seller on amazon.
>>
>>1011903
>>1011903
something more commercial, not shitty trinkets like the dropshippers/ebay people on /biz/

nothing specific in mind

That was only one thing though. I've thought about a lot of things but I know very little about the practical aspects of business. Which is why I wanted that kind of info.
>>
>>1011482
Never change /biz/
>>
>>1011482
>>1012521
What's the catch to this? What happens if you buy a stock that is about to get delisted?
>>
>>1012549
>What happens if you buy a stock that is about to get delisted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ
>>
>>1009222
>trade secrets

there are no fucking trade secrets you dumbass NEET, you look up into something that is at your understanding going to become a trend in the demand, and you invest in it. that analysis is the trade 'secret', reading and understanding then making a position.
>>
>>1009257
Lurker here, thanks for the info dude. That's one super informative comment. Cheers.
>>
People don't write books on memes.
>>
>>1009206
Because if you have more money I have less, it's better for most people to be poor so that us aristocrats can keep you in line.
>>
>>1011482
don't do this, this guy is fucking retarded

oh god no pls no
>>
Sell something. Anything. Seriously. Aquire a good and resell it.

Fuck you if you can't figure out how.

One item. Do it faggot. Repeat. Fuck the rest.
>>
>>1009206

>Thinks he can learn secrets of universe from image posting board.
>>
File: 1423629102206.png (447 KB, 600x566) Image search: [Google]
1423629102206.png
447 KB, 600x566
>>1012556
But oh man, it's the shit if you're short...
>>
>>1009206
Because everything you just green texted is in constant Flux

Although those are all great ideas for Amazon ebooks , spend a few afternoons grabbing relevant info offline. Slap it into a book. Sell it to a guy like you
>>
>Getting Rich
-Be born to a family with social and financial capital(easy mode)
-Develop moderation and delayed gratification
-Live at home in your 20s, or work for a company that pays your housing expenses
-Maximize cash flow your whole life to favor investing
-Minimize cash outflow

You can talk all day about risk, or leveraging debt, or trades vs. stem or whatever else, but that's all pretty situational, regional, probabilistic, etc. Read some shit. You have to find your own path by doing what you're good at and making the most of each situation. There're few yes or no questions along the way. Just know the risk and make the most of yourself.
>>
>>1009222

Sigh.

Anon, look.

Yeah, there are trade secrets to most trades. Those secrets are just information and techniques you learn from being in that trade, and doing the work.

I wholesale laptop components and yes I know lots of 'secrets' but if you worked in this business for a year, you'd fuck up 1000 times, and learn 1000 'trade secrets'.

That's all it is. The specifics, like which components to buy when, which broken laptops yield the highest returns, you learn that shit, no one is going to tell you because the fuck I wanna help my competition for?

Pick something, do it. Buy a broken washing machine. Learn how to fix it. Learn the washing machine 'trade secrets'.

You gotta get off your ass and pick something and do it
>>
>>1009206
>>1009206
>Why is there pretty much no material on actually getting rich?
I don't know, maybe because that's the one desire almost everyone has in common?
It's as if there was a known combination of chemicals that would prolong life by decades, yet you're here complaining about why Pfizer or whoever won't give you the recipe.
Would publicizing it help or hurt their bottom line?
>>
>>1009239
Consider this: the harder it is to do what you do, the less competition there will be to do it. Economics is the dane cook of college degrees, it's barely relevant and extremely easy. Go to math, physics, or something else that is hard to learn on your own. You can read a couple econ textbooks and be as prepared as any econ majors.
>>
>>1009206
That's how they get some cash right, Their easy to see through scams
>Tricking gullible idiots about the secrets of wealth
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.