[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kickboxing style with lots of kicks to the head?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6
File: Wonderboy.jpg (119 KB, 669x376) Image search: [Google]
Wonderboy.jpg
119 KB, 669x376
I want to learn how to kick people in the head, but at the same time develop some skill with my hands. What kickboxing style would be the best for this?

I don't want to do karate or TKD because forms/kata are stupid, I only want a 100% full contact sport

why do you recommend /asp/?
>>
>>1114095

*full contact martial art
*what do you recommend
>>
>>1114095
Tkd, they throw hands like women though so you'll need to take up boxing or something
>>
>>1114102
>>Tkd

I don't want anything that does forms, I think we all know they're a waste of time

Muay Thai fighters seem to do more leg kicks than high kicks, so I'm not sure if that is the best option for my interests
>>
sounds like stylistically you want to do savate OP, but i cant guarantee any savate school is gonna give you a legit training
>>
>>1114109
They do forms but they have the best high kicks in the business (not actually bit they are the most accessible in the US) you will get out what you put in,if you just do forms half assed you won't get better but if you follow the curriculum, provided its at a good school, train and spar hard your high kicks will be better than most muay Thai guys

Tkd has every chance of making you a good fighter as mt if you train right
>>
>>1114129
>>not actually bit they are the most accessible in the US

so there are martial arts with better kicks than TKD not accessible in the US?

which ones?
>>
>>1114095
American Kickboxing?

They don't allow kicks below the belt, so your kicks are almost always directed to mid/head level
>>
>>1114131
Savate as mentioned, maybe not better exactly but very good with more emphasis put on punching and fighting without pads and with shoes on (beneficial considering you'll usually be wearing shoes and most places train without them) and dutch kickboxing, which is basically mt mixed with some karate and other stuff

They are better IMO because of the emphasis placed on fighting in the ring where tkd is more tournament fighting and point fighting

The kicks from tkd are still probably better, more complex, more variety etc, but the way they train is slightly behind, but a lot of that can be changed by the practioner by focusing on getting good at the kicking instead of focusing on getting good at winning tkd matches

At least start tkd and look for something else in the meantime, I doubt you'll find anything you think is better after you start training, tkd gives you the incredible flexibility that you need in order to pull of high kicks and none of the other styles spend as much time looking for the head kicks as far as I know

Kyokushin karate is also viable but they are somewhat of a stiff style, they do a lot of kicks to the head but no punching to the head
>>
>>1114143
I agree with anon's recommendation to start off with taekwondo training for kicks to the head. I've been at it for a year, and the training has given me the flexibility and accuracy needed for those head level kicks.

In my opinion, learning a form that takes pride from its punches (such as boxing) with taekwondo as your core source of kicking mastery is a good mix, rather than to search for one specific style.
>>
>>1114095
how can I do the thing he's doing in this picture?
by the way, I think the thing he's doing is stupid so I don't want to learn it

that's what you said
>>
File: 1351448777877.jpg (68 KB, 370x358) Image search: [Google]
1351448777877.jpg
68 KB, 370x358
>>1114143
>TFW I'll never learn savate because I live in the Midwest and people only do Asian martial arts and boxing if they do any at all
>>
>>1114109
>I don't want anything that does forms, I think we all know they're a waste of time
Forms help develop technique.
There're better ways to get better at fighting than doing forms, but supposedly, there're philosophical aspects and shit to be learned from them.

>>1114143
>Kyokushin karate is also viable but they are somewhat of a stiff style, they do a lot of kicks to the head but no punching to the head
They also mostly stand there and beat the shit out of each other.
Maybe throw in a kick before standing in place and trading, maybe throw a kick to back up before coming in and standing and trading again.
They do a lot of standing in place and punching each other in the chest.
>>
>>1114568
I would like to mention the only reason they even kick to the head is BECAUSE they aren't allowed to punch to the head
throwing kicks to the head is a stupid idea, its an entirely unnecessary skill to have. If I want to kick someone in the head I'm not going to fling my leg up and compromise my footing, I'm going to work the body until their head drops low enough to throw kicks at
>>
>>1114639
>I'm going to work the body until their head drops low enough to throw kicks at
>Anderson Silva vs Rich Franklin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWPl1aCYEpA
>>
>>1114378

He said forms, not karate

Wonderboy competed in American Kickboxing which is essentially full contact karate with punches to the head, due it its close affiliation with American Karate
>>
>>1114568
>>here're better ways to get better at fighting than doing forms

Yeah its called sparring

>>but supposedly, there're philosophical aspects and shit to be learned from them

I don't want to develop philosophical shit. I want to how to clean someone's clock with a heel kick to the head

>>throwing kicks to the head is a stupid idea, its an entirely unnecessary skill to have

i agree but prefacing this with" I'm an idiot who has very little striking experience". but yeah i wouldn't do head kicks on hard surface for that reason

maybe at a park or on the beach
>>
>>1114845
American Kickboxing doesn't allow leg kicks.

>>1114857
>Yeah its called sparring
Helps with the application of technique, it does little in helping develop technique.

The chances are very extremely low that all you're going to do in any Kickboxing gym is just spar. A gym like that might not even exist.
You'll be doing bag work, mitt work, and partner drills, and then some sparring.
>>
>>1114930
>A gym like that might not even exist.
Not that Anon, but that's all I really want.

I just want to stop by somewhere to spar a little,
just like I'd stop by somewhere to paly a game of chess
just like I'd stop by my living room to play Dead or Alive,
just like I'd stop by my music room to play my musical instruments.

That's where all the fun's at, getting in there and doing it.

I've done forms, I've done mitt work, I've done drills, I've done bag work.
But all the fun's in sparring.

If I wanted to be the very best chess player, sure I'd go read a bunch of books, do chess drills, memorize a bunch of strategies, tactics, and games, but no. I just want to play and have some fun.

If I wanted to be a professional Call of Duty competitor, sure, I'd practice. I'd do target practice, I'd have AIs that don't shoot at me move around as I try to shoot them, I'd change up the number of AIs, I'd develop my technique as well as my application of technique, but no.
I just want to sit down and play a damn game and have some fun.
>>
>>1114930
>>1114959
Really, that's what all competitive sport martial arts are today, a game; a game to be played.
Sure, there are other philosophical aspects, but in the end, people just play a game to win, they try to beat each other in a game.

You could go down to the local Park where the chess players hang out and play a game or two.

You could go over to those places that have computers and internet, pay, and then play a game or two. Are those kinds of places still even around?

You could go to the local basketball arena, and play a game or two.

But is there a place to meet up with martial artists and just play a game or two? No.
That's bullshit.
>>
>>1114965
>he doesn't go to fight club
>>
>>1114930
American Kickboxing doesn't allow leg kicks

which is specifically what he wanted, no? He said he didn't care for leg kicks in Muay Thai
>>
>>1114959

>>That's where all the fun's at

(I'm the OP)

I disagree. I don't mind drilling a technique, so long as it helps me perform

>>>>1114930
>>Helps with the application of technique
I did a little bit of karate as a kid at a mcdojo and doing KYAAA didn't help me when I got haymakered in the face on the playground in elementary school

I've done a LITTLE bit of boxing and the little 1-2 months I spent shadowboxing and hitting bags have at the very least given me the ability to learn throw my weight behind my punch

1-2 months of boxing helped me more than 1 year of karate

am I floyed mayweather? no. but at least now I understand the mechanics of throwing a punch and not wasting time breaking boards pretending like I'm jackie chan

I know from experience that drilling works but forms are not drilling technique, they're more like dancing

instead of drilling stupid forms and board breaking they should have their students repeatedly hit bags with kicks, punches, etc

I have no idea if this is the case for all TKD/Karate schools but I am so angry that the pieces of shit giving kids false confidence in their fighting abilities when they don't even spar
>>
>>1114989
>>>Helps with the application of technique
I said sparring helps with the application of technique.
>>
>>1114989
>forms are shit
I'm saying they help develop technique. I'm not saying there aren't better ways to develop technique.
>>
>>1114639
>throwing kicks to the head is a stupid idea, its an entirely unnecessary skill to have.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z72f8hrOk3g
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5aMtvFBETA
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_JMkptIuko
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIIPvNlKW2o
Except both of those statements are false as your legs are not only stronger but also have more reach than your arms. There are often situations were it is far more practical to kick and attack from a farther rage with a stonger and hard hitting attack that, has a much higher chance of being a fight ender than moving into a closer range to punch and risk taking damage while trying to get close. And if I didn't already mention that your legs are stonger, your legs also have a higher probablility of both giving out stonger attacks that your arms and recovering from attacks given out and recieved., your legs are also less likely to break than your hands, when attacking as well.
>I'm going to work the body until their head drops low enough to throw kicks at
Have fun both trying to move in, get close and keeping your hands nearly continuously that low, especially if your opponents a good kicker. There are several chances that opting for that strategy will get you fucking kicked in the head. Kicks are ranged techniques for exactly when your at a distance and it's easier and far more effective to attack for that range than try to retardedly get close
>I'm not going to fling my leg up and compromise my footing,
If you can't balance properly while throwing a kick, your shit at kicks and if your leaving you foot up long enough to make compromised footing a problem; your kicking wrong.
>>
>>1114095
>I want to learn
>I don't want to do X because forms/kata are stupid
Well you're sending some awfully mixed messages here. You say you wanna learn to do some high-level shit and yet you don't want to learn any of the shit that the most qualified instructors advocate. It sounds like you need to learn some focus and centering. The forms/training are there to teach you how to be in the moment and react without thinking.

But if you wanna be a tryhard 16 year old edgemaster I guess you'd wanna learn Muy Thai or JKD or some other shitty wannabe UFC style and spend all day sperging out to Black Metal while throwing off-balance crescent kicks at a bag.
>>
>>1114095
>forms/kata are stupid,
There's barely any martial art without some form of solo patterned movements. Even boxing has you practice combos solo and shadowboxing. They're far from stupid and are used to teach you how to use your basics, move and preform combinations while learning how to utilize your stances correctly. Saying forms and kata are stupid reeks of ignorance
>>1114568
>but supposedly, there're philosophical aspects and shit to be learned from them.
There's also practicing your fucking basics, how how to utilize and move properly with your stances and how to effectively switch stances as well as change direction, etc. If you think there's just philosophical shit in forms, you are entirely wrong.
>>1114845
>He said forms, not karate
No that's exactly what he said, more or less. He wants to do what's in the picture but doesn't want to do what it takes to learn it, the basics; and by the way kata is counted with kihon and kumite as the three basics of karate and the common saying is that without the basics there's no karate.
>>1114857
>I want to how to clean someone's clock with a heel kick to the head
And how do you think your going to learn that without practicing and drilling basics, which are the purpose of forms? Your saying you want to learn the complex shit before learning what it takes to get to the complex shit
>but prefacing this with" I'm an idiot who has very little striking experience".
Yes, you are
>>1114989
>but forms are not drilling technique, they're more like dancing
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfR4pgZ38Q
Except drilling technique is exactly what forms are and they're not like dancing at all.And if your doing them that way, your doing them wrong. Dancing bullshit is what mcdojo's who can't be assed to teach forms legitimately or properly do.
>>1115009
>I'm not saying there aren't better ways to develop technique.
>there are better ways to practice and develop your basics, than practicing and developing your basics
>>
>>1115250
>If you think there's just philosophical shit in forms, you are entirely wrong.
Shows your ignorance.
>>
>>1115250
>>there are better ways to practice and develop your basics, than practicing and developing your basics
See earlier in your post:

>>1115250
>the right way
>dancing bullshit
There's a difference.

It's like you just want to argue on the internet.
>>
>>1114095

Maui Thai or Kickboxing
>>
>>1115338
>Maui
Muay
>>
oh what a surprise, UFC fans that have no idea what kata are trying to say it's stupid

kata is shadow boxing, shut the fuck up if you say otherwise because you literally don't know anything about karate if you try to
>>
>>1115397
>kata is shadow boxing, shut the fuck up if you say otherwise because you literally don't know anything about karate if you try to
After a certain point, long kata are unlikely to resemble a fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZoM8ljOWyk
>>
>>1115250

That looks nothing like shadowboxing.

This is shadowboxing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB2_kiwcfWg

The difference is the karate faggot is moving slowly and rigidly. Also the punches in kata look nothing like the punches in full contact karate/american kickboxing

Shadow boxing is used by professional boxers

Nobody, even trained UFC fighters with a karate background, use kata to train for full contact fights

Kata = faggotry
Shadowboxing = practicing skill

This anon is obviously a loser karate fighter convinced his ballet is worth a damn
>>
>>1114095
Kyokushin karate
But TKD is great, I don't get why /asp/ hates it so much
>>
>>1115770
There are a fuck ton of McDojos and one of the two major organizations is focused on nerfing it to make more money.
>>
>>1115773
Just don't go to 'McDojos' then, simple.

I don't know how to argue your other point as it doesn't make much sense to me,
I'm assuming you mean ITF
Is somehow 'nerfing' tkd, what? Like how? Did they decide to make it less effective
How does that earn them more money? What's wrong with earning money? That's business

Please explain, I still think TKD is great
>>
>>1115746
listen cunt, kata is actually better than your idea of shadow boxing because it's standardized, the moves have a purpose. You aren't just whiffing in the air like a retard, paying no mind to your technique. Literally the whole purpose of kata is to sharpen technique and movement.
Shit yeah anybody can throw a 123 combination
but in kata you may have to do a high block, ridge, shuto with the same hand
now why would you do something like that? because it's unnatural, its awkward as shit to throw those techniques in that order and still have any power behind them
and that's exactly the point. Kata puts you into awkward imbalanced positions and gets you used to being in them, and how to engage your muscles in a way that you can generate power when you are at a mechanical disadvantage.

simple fact is, you are just too low class and low skill to understand it. Hate to break it to you but kata is obviously too advanced for you to get a grasp of so you should probably just quit martial arts. you will unfortunately never be anything more than a brawler with your deep arsenal of 4 punches thrown predictably alternating.
>>
>>1115802
>>What's wrong with earning money? That's business

Whats wrong with business? Nothing is wrong with business. But martial arts/combat sports exists to replicate some aspect of combat that can be used for self defense in the real world

You water down the art, you no longer have a combat sport or a martial art: you instead have dancing

You can't fake a boxing or Muay thai gym. You can't fake a BJJ/Judo gym.

Why? Because these martial arts have no ranking system or their ranking systems doesn't clearly get in the way of demonstrating their competency

On the other hand moron with $100 can buy a fake gi and black belt off amazon and pretend he knows what he's doing to a bunch of annoyed parents and starry eyed 8 year olds

TKD/Karate have a shit reputation because they are, when compared to Boxing, Kickboxing, MT are complete garbage.

The best karate fighters in mma have all crosstrained in some form of boxing/kickboxing. Machida, Wonderboy, Northcut, all cross trained.

Coincidence? I think not
>>
>>1115811

nobody uses blocks in MMA, care to hazard a guess why

nobody screams KYA in MMA care to guess why

nobody breaks boards to train for an MMA fight, care to guess why

kata/forms are for retarded little kids that think they are learning how to fight

joe rogan who was a national TKD champion and who has some seriously crazy kicks even at his old age:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWC6x4Qqwe4

has admitted that TKD in some level, with respect to forms/brick breaking is a scam

this coming from a guy who comes from a high level of TKD competition. once he stepped into the wring with kickboxers he realized how shitty his hands were
>>
>>1115819
>nobody uses blocks in MMA, care to hazard a guess why
because they are designed to stop haymakers which people generally don't do in UFC
>nobody screams KYA in MMA care to guess why
it's explicitly against the rules to scream during a fight
>nobody breaks boards to train for an MMA fight, care to guess why
breaking boards isn't a training tool anywhere, it's a demo you do to show off your moves and has never been anything else
I'm going to actually take a moment to say I'm shocked at how ignorant you are about this topic but still want to argue about it. But now I'll continue
>kata/forms are for retarded little kids that think they are learning how to fight
the first time your teacher told you to put your very first jab cross hook combination together, guess what motherfucker? you just did kata. You did a scripted set of moves to practice them
remember when he told you to pivot your foot and stop dropping your arm on the hook? guess what? you just did forms
total waste of time, right bro?
>joe rogan
I have to admit I'm pretty surprised at how good he still is. But here is the important thing, that video right there is going to invalidate anything you have to say about TMAs being bad. That shit was pure TKD he was doing and did you see how fast and powerful his strikes were? gotta be some kind of retard to say that shit was bad and doesnt work
>once he stepped into the wring with kickboxers he realized how shitty his hands were
no shit, boxers had better hands than a guy from a kicking art, and he could probably kick them all under a table all day long
>>
>got my ass kicked in UFC 2 by doing only kicks to the head
shit martial art you have here faggots
>>
>>1115833

when did I say TMAs are bad

I'm saying Kata's/Board breaking are garbage. A competitor at the national level agrees with this sentiment

If karate/TKD don't want to be left in the dust they need to eliminate kata/forms/breaking shit and exclusively focus on teaching kicks/punches

not these long as forms where you block , sidestep, move the wrest, play with your dick, then punch

thats bullshit, joe admits it, he's probably technically on a much higher level than you ever were ( in his competition days) since You don't sound like a national champion

never said TMAs are shit, I'm saying some of the shit they do is useless. That's a fact
>>
>>1115833
And by "teaching" i mean what joe was doing in that example. Kicking a fucking heavy bag, dummy, etc, repeatedly

Not doing that faggy form shit
>>
>>1115816
You haven't actually answered any of my questions
I guess you're claiming that tkd is being 'watered down' and that untrained idiots are teaching it
Which to that I reiterate "Don't go to McDojos"
I wasn't arguing that tkd is the best martial art (I don't think there is one)

If you must respond please make more sense this time
>>
>>1115848

I'm not that anon, moron
>>
>>1115848
also the point here is that you can't water down boxing because people know a good boxer from a bad boxer

when you spend all day dancing around with your kata, its harder to tell who is legit or who isn't, because their martial art is not centered around emulating combat

this is why MT and kickboxing are make up 99% of the base of most fighters

you have a few exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the rule
>>
>>1115846
>>1115847
stop harping on the board breaking, I already told you that's demo shit people do to show off, nobody uses that as a training tool.

riddle me this. How is joe able to do those kicks? did he one day just start doing them like that or did he have to practice?
he probably broke it down step by step, in fact I know he did, and practiced it in slow motion dozens of times before he was able to do it at regular speed. And after throwing that kick thousands of times he is finally able to throw it with the precision and power he did in that video.

Obviously anybody can just walk up and do that to the bag first try with no practice, right?
keep saying practicing form is pointless, you sound really well educated on the topic.
and as far as I know I don't think joe has ever said anything negative about practicing forms, his main gripe is sport TKD rules

if you even practice anything at all it seems like your understanding is shallow, you haven't yet gone deep enough in the pool to see there is more to fighting than throwing a punch at a bag
maximum efficiency minimum effort, you have a lot to learn
>>
>>1115881
your thick mentally ill head can't seem to understand the concept

you don't have to do a retarded complex KATA/FORM in order to fucking practice a KICK

look at this you mentally ill faggot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5nKA86M1Y

this guy is literally prancing around doing multiple punches/kicks in his little chain dance

why not break down kicks/punches into 1-2 or 1-2-3 combos , i.e. how shit is actually used in fights?

Or better yet, practice each skill BY ITSELF when trying to perfect your technique?

again using a heavy bag/speed bag/dummy, etc

you seem incapable of understasnding that I'm not saying practicing technique is bad you fucking 70IQ moron. I'm saying practice TKD and Karate like boxing: you isolate each technique, get good at them, then string together combinations

you don't fucking learn by doing that stupid slowly executed kata bullshit
>>
>>1115881

I mean form is pointless as in TKD FORMS you fucking idiot.

Not form as in your form WHEN EXECUTING A TECHNIQUE.

Form is important i.e. your TEHCNIQUE.

TKD FORMS i.e. the stupid shit they chain together are pointless. For fucks sake, did you pass the second grade?
>>
>>1115881
you obviously don't even practice TKD if you dont know what forms are. Forms are KATA for TKD

FORMS are stupid., i.e. the little dances you do.

But your FORM when throwing a kick is obviously important you autistic monkey
>>
File: sh.jpg (15 KB, 248x320) Image search: [Google]
sh.jpg
15 KB, 248x320
>>1115890
>>1115893
>>1115897
there is no need to be upset

>complex KATA/FORM
this is very revealing, the fact you see kata as complex shows your lack of experience. A martial artist of adequate skill should be able to do a kata easily because the skills are built upon over time.
Know what a lot of people have trouble doing at first? front kicks. They don't snap them, and they don't straighten their foot. Really you could sit there all day long with them and they don't get it.
Know what I do in that case? I show them cat stance, and everybody can do cat stance. now that you're in cat stance I want you to lift your front foot, remember how that feels...you may not realize it but you currently have a properly chambered front kick. Now, kick. Put your foot down, now this time do that same kick but don't do the cat stance, just go straight to the kick

congratulations, you just used a form to connect the dots between technique theory and application.
See what you fail to understand is they are not random movements, they all have design and follow a method to build a strong foundation. By building a strong foundation through forms I can learn techniques faster, because I understand how my body needs to move in order to do them.
You can spend an entire class teaching someone to front kick using your method of, try again, no try again, no like this try again, no bend your foot, no try again! and they still might not get it
meanwhile by teaching someone a form I have them mastering a front kick inside of 3 minutes.

you see it as a waste of time, but I'm repurposing time. Your method is the waste because people may be learning the how but not the why. I teach them the why first, and when you know the why, the how comes much more easily.
>>
>>1115849
>I'm not that anon, moron

So that means you can argue against me but I can't argue against you
And I'm supposed to know/give a fuck about who it is that I'm arguing against

wew lad
>>
>>1115819
>nobody uses blocks in MMA
I clearly remember seeing a gif of some kind of chubby brown guy using a block against what I think was a white guy.
I guarantee you that blocks have been used in professional MMA, even disregarding early UFC where kung fu was a thing.
>>
>>1115833
>because they are designed to stop haymakers which people generally don't do in UFC
I'm positive blocks are useful in MMA, but you're kind of kicking yourself in your own ass with that. Various blocks, especially Karate blocks, are good parries against straight punches.
>>
>>1115840
>>got my ass kicked in UFC 2 by doing only kicks to the head
kek
>>
>>1115890
>why not break down kicks/punches into 1-2 or 1-2-3 combos , i.e. how shit is actually used in fights?
>what are 10 punch combos
Even Boxing has its Kata.
See: >>1115566
>>
>>1115819
They use blocks in boxing, and people use boxing in mma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL261oRyURE
>>
>>1115819
>nobody uses blocks in MMA, care to hazard a guess why
Because they aren't popular yet. Give it some time. Everyone thought the front snap kick was useless until Silva knocked out Belfort, now nobody uses the teep (or if they do it's a snappy "teep" that might as well be a front snap kick). Forearm blocks/parries are rad as hell, especially at MMA range. They break up the other guy's combinations by tying up/overextending their arms, as opposed to boxing style "cover" blocks that let the other guy use you as a heavy bag, or head movement that exposes you to high kicks.

>nobody screams KYA in MMA
Holly Holm. Not every kiai is Bruce Lee shit.

>nobody breaks boards to train for an MMA fight
Conor McGregor.
>>
>>1114095
Kickboxing
>>
File: 1458922592182.jpg (114 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1458922592182.jpg
114 KB, 720x960
>>1116028
>muh meme fighters do it
>>
High Level
https://youtu.be/sbHlg1MqrxU
>>
>>1115306
>Claiming someone is showing ignorance
>shows actual ignorance and thinks that proves them wrong
>>
>>1115846
>thats bullshit, joe admits it,
Joe Rogan's, much like you doesn't want to bother to properly understand kata/bunkai and how it works. Also way to nutride.
>>1115846
>he's probably technically on a much higher level than you ever were ( in his competition days) since You don't sound like a national champion
It doesn't matter what he is, the moment he (or anyone else) pulls shit out of his ass about kata, doesn't critically think or bother to learn more about the subject on which he is talking; is the moment his opinion should be disregarded. Joe is wrong.
>If karate/TKD don't want to be left in the dust they need to eliminate kata/forms/breaking shit and exclusively focus on teaching kicks/punches
Karate and kata are inseparable with kata making up one of Karate's three basics along with Kihon and Kumite. If your not doing kata, your not doing Karate
> I'm saying some of the shit they do is useless. That's a fact
No, it's your subjective; and wrong, opinion
>>1115890
>you isolate each technique, get good at them,
These are your basics
>then string together combinations
The combinations are the kata you preform made up of the basics you learn and your stances. As what you learn gets more complex so do the movements you do in the Kata you learn.
>you don't fucking learn by doing that stupid slowly executed kata bullshit
You just described what kata essentially are, then turned around and said you can't learn that way
>>1115916
This anon is on point
>>
>>1116340
What's happening at the end?
>>
>>1116395
Kata.
It's like shadowboxing but more effective.
>>
>>1115979
I'm sure he was talking about high blocks, or outside middles and stuff which are made for big wide punches or more accurately if someone is swinging an object at you. If he was really trying to assert that people don't block punches in MMA then he's never even watched a single fight
>>
>>1116431
>which are made for big wide punches
What? The majority of blocks in karate deal with straight punches, and they deal with skilled attacks (i.e. not someone swinging their arm at you like a retard) just fine. Did you take lessons at a strip mall?
>>
>>1116648
high block, low block, and outside middle are for dealing with attacks from the outside, inside middle deals with straight punches
>>
>>1115819
http://i40.tinypic.com/2dl3nzm.jpg
>>
>>1116336

You just got BTFO.
Shut up.
>>
>>1116710
Right, but historically those have taught as defenses against *straight* punches from the outside. They also work against tight hooks/uppercuts; they don't need to be sloppy and wide. You seem like you know your shit though, so I'll stop nitpicking.
>>
>>1116980
have been taught*
>>
>>1114095
I train in Muay Thai 2,5 years Pretty good. I don't recommend to start with MMA,better do some boxing Muay thai or kickboxing . Also love elbow's and knee hit's.

I think MMA with no skill could be hard,but if you like the challenge it's your choice.

I think myself going to change to MMA i wan't train some grappling and even more contact.
>>
>It's like you just want to argue on the internet.
>On 4chan
>complaining about arguing on the internet
>>
>>1119009
>I think MMA with no skill could be hard,but if you like the challenge it's your choice.
>>1114095
There are things that work in Muay Thai or Kickboxing that need to be modified before they work on MMA.
By training MMA first, your learn the basics, and you learn what works in MMA. Depending on the gym, if it's a good gym, they'll teach you the basics of mixing striking and grappling along with your basic striking, and basic grappling.
>>
>>1119031

I hate it when people act like if you train "pure" MMA you learn only the ultimate combinations and leave out all the unnecesary stuff.

It's more like you only learn the very basics movements and routines like basic punches, blocks, transitions. But you NEVER see a "pure" MMA guy winning anything. Where do you want to gain the superior skills to win? You can't outpunch someone because you have mediorce punching skills. You can't submit someone one the ground because you are subpar in comparison to a BJJ blue belt. You won't get someone in a bad postition, because you have no Wrestling or Judo to dominate the takedowns. You can't kick someone KO because you don't have the kicking skills of someone like a professionial kickboxer.

I'd always suggest getting good at something (punching, kicking, standup grappling, groundfighting) before considering to jump into MMA.
>>
>>1119146
>But you NEVER see a "pure" MMA guy winning anything.
>who is Rory MacDonald

>you can't outpunch someone because you have mediocre punching skills

>mediocre punching skills
kek, nice meme.

If a pure MMA fighter were to go up against a Boxer that learned wrestling for MMA, the pure MMA fighter can take advantage of the low wrestling skill.

>you can't submit someone on the ground because you are subpar in comparison to a BJJ blue belt
You could go for submissions, ground and pound, or get back up. You don't need well rounded skill in submission, because submission isn't the only option.
You can also take advantage of the blue belt's lack of skill in the striking area.

>bad position, wrestling or judo
See previous.

>you can't kick someone
When the person is good at kicking but not as good at other things, you pressure them in the other things, and combine the other things.

>kick boxers
>good at kicking
Taekwondo practitioners are good at kicking. Kickboxing is baby diaper shit compared to Taekwondo.

>I'd always suggest getting good at something to jump into MMA
You're giving bad suggestions based on flawed logic.
>>
>>1114095
Savate, but what style of kickbox don't have highkick? You can do anything.
>with lots of
Kicking the head takes long and is a risky move, you won't have to do it so much in reality, mostly in training.
>>
>>1114127
Don't know where OP lives, but there are only like 3 schools in the US registered with the US Savate Federation. If it isn't one of those schools than it is most likely some JKD who learned Savate style kicks. The only issue with them is the don't put the proper emphasis on things like all the combination kicking, or quadrage.
>>
>>1119165

>who is Rory MacDonald

A BJJ black belt.

Also: "I train one to two times a day Monday to Saturday, between jiu-jitsu, wrestling, boxing, kickboxing and conditioning."
>http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Rory-MacDonald

>If a pure MMA fighter were to go up against a Boxer that learned wrestling for MMA, the pure MMA fighter can take advantage of the low wrestling skill.

But if the pure MMA fighter fights against an MMA guy who has a striking backgtroudn he get knocked the fuck out.

>You can also take advantage of the blue belt's lack of skill in the striking area.

Again, I assume the other guy is good at the ground and has some basics in striking. Then he will manage to get a fight to the ground and end it there.

>Kickboxing is baby diaper shit compared to Taekwondo.

Right, that's why we see so many 540 flying kicks in MMA..

>You're giving bad suggestions based on flawed logic.

If you say so.
>>
>>1114443
This board really makes me appreciate how lucky I am.
>>
File: 1458275300538.jpg (90 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
1458275300538.jpg
90 KB, 500x650
>>1114095
Savator here. If you want to do high kicks do any regular kick boxing and train High kick. It's as simple as that.
Savate isn't a requirement for high kicks ,neither is TKD. Sure Dutch kickboxing has more emphasis on low kicks but you'll train HK as well ,so will you in Karate and MT.
My coach used a lot of chassé when competiting (basically front or side kicks but in savate form ,with the leg fully extended) because he was really mobile and liked to dance around and keep the other guy far. Another competitor liked to evade kicks to break the distance ,do 3-4 punches and get away with a low kick.
You'll get better at what you train for.

>>1119198
Same here bro. I fucking hate fighting bare footed and it's such a bliss that savate gym are all over france. In my town we have like a dozens gym
>>
>>1119188
thanks for the b8 m8 it was gr8
>>
>>1119643
i'll kick your fucking ass you poser
>>
>>1121902
Come at me Daisy.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.