[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Outdoor Cats: A Global Plague
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 620x400
http://www.wildlifemanagementinstitute.org/index.php?option=com_content&id=610:new-research-suggests-outdoor-cats-kill-more-wildlife-than-thought&catid=34:ONB+Articles&Itemid=54

How do we deal with this issue?
>>
>>2160100
Do like what they did with Rabbits in Australia. Make a disease that kills domestic cats quickly.
>>
>>2160105
We must perfect this disease for the good of the natural species
>>
>>2160100
I've got a pellet rifle I use to shoot any fucking cat I find in my back yard. They usually don't come back.

I've got no problem with cats...unless they're running wild on my property.
>>
Wait what's wrong with outdoor cats?
>>
>>2160145
Jfc read the goddamn link.
>>
>>2160145
Cats that are domesticated, that is cats with a home and owners, don't kill for food. They kill for fun, they kill because they can, and they kill indiscriminately. One stray cat can produce a litter of more strays, which in turn can produce more, and so on. Cats have no true natural predator (other than large birds of prey I guess), and they can wipe out an indigenous species with little effort.
>>
>>2160100
BOUNTY
O
U
N
T
Y
>>
>>2160100
just natural selection
>>
Khajiit did nothing wrong!
>>
Train housecats to attack stray cats with the art of Muay Thai, then equip them with special razor mittens.
>>
>>2160100
We start rewarding individual citizens a cash reward for each cat they eliminate.
1 dollar for full grown, 2 dollars for kittens.
We eliminate the cat problem and also occupy the time of more vicious humans. The environment and society both win.
>>
>>2160338
Like with horses, won't work in the US because bleeding hearts. I love cats but they don't belong roaming around here.
Feral horses fuck up shit too but we can't cull them because muh majestic creatures.
>>
File: 1296898320888.gif (2 MB, 371x331) Image search: [Google]
1296898320888.gif
2 MB, 371x331
>mfw every time I tell people how out door cats are a huge problem they act like i'm crazy
I'm not even autistic about it I just calmly mention it
>>
>>2160220
>Cats have no true natural predator (other than large birds of prey I guess)
Proof you don't know shit about what you're talking about. Birds rarely if ever will prey on an adult cat. Coyotes, big cats, any large predatory mammal will readily eat cats.
>>
Maybe this?
http://www.birdsbesafe.com/pages/home
>>
>>2160438
>tfw I gave my public speaking final presentation on why outdoor cats are bad
>>
>They kill for fun, they kill because they can, and they kill indiscriminately.
So, white people?
>>
Indoor Humans: A Global Plague

http://www.societalpreservationinstitute.org/index.php?option=com_content&id=610:new-research-suggests-indoor-humans-are-a-complete-waste-of-flesh&catid=34:ONB+Articles&Itemid=54

How do we deal with this issue?
>>
>>2160338
Great Idea, people will start breeding cats and "eliminating" loads of "Feral kittens"

>>2160417
Fuck off, horses are wild animals and less invasive a species than you are
>>
File: image.jpg (275 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275 KB, 1280x1280
>>2160458
>resorting to racism instead of actually addressing the issue

>>2160462
>resorting to satire websites instead of actually addressing the issue

The toxoplasmosis must have really done a nuber on your brains
>>
File: poop.gif (2 MB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
poop.gif
2 MB, 175x175
>>2160502
>nuber
>>>/g/
>>
>>2160458
stop using racism as a conduit for self-loathing, general scumminess and your own complete lack of interest in the world
>>
File: image.png (495 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
495 KB, 2048x1536
>>2160497
>Great Idea, people will start breeding cats and "eliminating" loads of "Feral kittens"

Even if you get the unbranded garbage, the cost of food for a "cat farm" would be way too expensive to make a genuine profit.
>>
>>2160417
I say a disease to quickly cull horses and cats. That way, once released it's fucking done. People can bitch but there's nothing they could do. Then people who don't vaccinate and shouldn't be owning animals will also no longer have animals. Probably do a good number to the pet overpopulation issue. It's a win-win-win. Bunnies are cute and the Aussies managed it.
>>
My indoor outdoor cat goes out for about 2 hours a day and brings me a dead rabbit atleast twice a week

Which is great because we have an estimated 3 thousand rabbits in my neighborhood and rabbit season is unlimited
>>
>>2160497
>Fuck off, horses are wild animals and less invasive a species than you are
Feral horses are not wild animals. They don't cause problems where actual wild horses used to live bit they do as introduced species. Stop being dumb.

>>2160615
Sounds shitty, honestly. Horses are big animals and since they mainly live in groups, it'd just be easier to shoot them. You could still eat them, too. We donate deer meat here and horse meat is perfectly good meat.
Even if there was a vaccine, I'm pretty sure introducing a biological weapon isn't all that simple. You'd also have to consider whether or not it would effect other animals. Birds especially.
>>
>>2160440
>Birds rarely if ever will prey on an adult cat.
True
>Coyotes, big cats, any large predatory mammal will readily eat cats.
Assuming one lives near them? Yeah.
a lot of places probably lack those, though, genius. Even if they're around that's no assurance cats aren't an issue, they're pretty commonly stray in farming communities and suburbs.
Which is at least half the country thanks to the Midwest, and suburbs are fucking everywhere.
Mountain lions don't exactly stroll through the average suburb hunting cats.
They're a problem, anon, accept it.
>>
>>2160458
>I'll take the Middle East and central Africa for $500, Alex
>>
File: tripfag destroyed.png (635 KB, 1353x1889) Image search: [Google]
tripfag destroyed.png
635 KB, 1353x1889
>>2160100
I know you've changed your trip, but you're still cancer though.
>>
>>2160100
we just replace the natural species that cats are killing with more invasive species, anon. only the strong survive.
>>
>>2160100
What issue exactly? Cant see whats so problematic about this
>>
>>2160458
Do you want me to bring up crime statistics?
>>
>>2160791
>Taking a screenshot of something that lame.
>>
>>2160791
/an/ did not become the greatest board that ever was or ever will be by staying on topic it seems
>>
>>2160791
Do you just follow me around with that unfunny pic?
>>
File: 2Cat.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
2Cat.webm
3 MB, 640x360
Cats don't kill humans though, unlike your shitty brain-damaged doggos.

Personally I'd rather see vermin like rats die than my fellow man, but then again I'm not a deranged PETA anarchist.
>>
>>2160100
Brown recluses or pitbulls?
>>
>>2160100
Someone's been playing Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>2160978
kek
>>
>>2160843
Dogs can't roam the wild killing with impunity
>>
>>2160843
considering toxoplasmosis is dangerous to babies and linked to schizophrenia and other mental disorders and half of the population is infected with it cats probably kill more humans than dogs do just by being alive.
>>
Do we really need another shitposting thread like this?
Over 300 hundred replies of shit flinging and have truths for both sides with bugguy or plont or he who should kill himself right in the middle of it stirring the pot.

Take this shit to /pol/
>>
>>2161081
>Muh spooky disease
You are really a one record poster, why don't you fuck off.
The time you were gone was the best ever, the board's quality went up.
>>
>>2161100
What the shit does this have to do with /pol/ you mong
>>
>>2161109
Because there are very little facts and to do with the animals themselves being posting.
Most of these threads are
>Cats are niggers
>We should gass outside cats like niggers
>But I like cats, fuck you niggers who hate cats
>Fuck you nigger lover , you killed all my birds and rodents
>Fuck rodents and birds they are niggers.
It is more political than /an/ related and we have this stupid thread all the time, it was even started by a notorious tripfag who shitposts constantly.
>>
>>2160841
do you really wear a trip in threads where it isnt necessary? think about it retard, they wouldnt be able to follow you if you didnt use a trip
>>
>>2161073
i beg to differ, dogs will band up and kill everything they can including domesticated animals
>>
>>2161081
Going off this, cat scratch fever can also be deadly and can quickly fuck a person up.
>>
>>2160100
>How do we deal with this issue?
Why should I care?
>>
>>2161073
They do, it's just they are usually dealt with.
>>
>>2160100
Cats aren't a problem.
White humans are.
They aren't indigenous to North America.
Give every negro who can prove they're descended from a slave and every native american at least two free firearms, including a sniper rifle and at least 300 rounds each... problem solved.

The usa may still exist in 20 yrs but won't be as much of a problem as it currently is for the normal folks on planet Earth.

You're welcome.
>>
>>2161256
>"I'm an unaccomplished angry nonwhite who hates the race that created my country and made it worth living in"
>thinks handing the reigns to by far the most violent US minority will have a positive outcome for anyone
Jesus. I'm not even an American but that's some fucking ungrateful, thoroughly ignorant, deludedly racist attitude you've got there.
>>
>>2161104
Oh please, the boards quality have been going down ever since we handed the shitposting reigns over to random mongs.

>>2160894 >>2161037
>>
>>2161289
I'd rather see /an/ burn and become like /v/ than bugguy continue posting.
>>
>>2161073
Clearly you've never visited China.

Insert unfitting .webm here.
>>
>>2160497
>Great Idea, people will start breeding cats and "eliminating" loads of "Feral kittens"
Yeah, because cat breeding sure would be profitable for a dollar a cat.

It'll never happen, but the only way would be a bounty and biological warfare.
>>
>>2161256
>Thinks the niggers and injuns won't just sell the guns for crack and booze.
>>
>>2161543
>this
>>
>tfw live in Arizona near the desert
>tfw if a cat is outside for longer than a couple hours, its probably dead.

Was a hard lesson to learn when we first moved here. We lost a good four cats before we quit getting new ones. We stopped letting them outside and even trained them to be terrified of the outside, but curiosity always got the better of em. I found one of the corpses myself when I was a kid. Still remember that facial expression with her guts torn up.

Its been years since then, and I dont really like cats anymore.
>>
>>2161111
No one brought up niggers till you did first you dumb nigger
>>
File: MAXIMUM RUSTLEDRIVE.jpg (96 KB, 680x507) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM RUSTLEDRIVE.jpg
96 KB, 680x507
>>2160841
>>2160812
>>2160801

>samefagging this hard

that pic really rustled your jimmies, huh?
>>
>>2161256
>memetive americans
>Indigenous
(1)
>niggers
>indigenous
(1)
>niggers
>memetive Americans
>thinking they won't get btfo by superior whites like they always do
Toppity tippity kek

Though I welcome the idea of sub-humans hearding together in attempted aggression.
Like the cats you subhumans let wander- -your ilk can do with yet another culling.
>>
>>2160100
kill dogs fgt
>>
File: untermensch.jpg (70 KB, 529x451) Image search: [Google]
untermensch.jpg
70 KB, 529x451
>>2161880
>whites are SUPERIOR, y'all!
>can't spell "herding."

if we culled subhumans you'd have died long ago, Bubba.
>>
>>2161903
>i-i'll just mention th-the typo
>n-nothin personel kid
Try not to blow a gasket, kid, you're clearly butthurt.
I'm sorry that history clearly demonstrates your people to be inferior and the future continues to hold true to that fact.
>>
>>2162221
I'm white, you pathetic moron.

You disgrace my race.
>>
File: American culture.jpg (54 KB, 550x340) Image search: [Google]
American culture.jpg
54 KB, 550x340
>>2161903

When you shitty skin morons plant a flag on the moon, then you can talk shit.

Till then, work on indoor plumbing...
>>
File: 1101birddeaths_web.jpg (83 KB, 512x496) Image search: [Google]
1101birddeaths_web.jpg
83 KB, 512x496
1). Cull wild cat populations especially those present on islands.
2). Encourage pet owners to keep their cats indoors.
3). Create habitat for at risk species.
4). Monitor cat populations to insure they don't rebound.

Culling is by far the most cost-effective method. IMO cats should always be kept indoors or supervised by their owners when outside. It's too bad animal rights organizations are strongly opposed to culling.
>>
>>2162292
I'm sorry, what flag have you planted on the moon as of recent? You sit on the internet and argue with non-whites on the internet about why white people who accomplished shit are good.

You're like a cuck.
>>
>>2162292
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_astronauts
>>
>kill pest animals that shit all over everything, get into food and spread disease
>CATS ARE SATAN
kill yourselves
>>
>>2162292
see
>>2162224
>>
I need to know if this is an issue really a global plague or is it in a select few regions where cats cant get hunted by larger carnivores because their are none?
>>
>>2160779
A problem? Are you well? -Cats keep down the pests like rats and other pesky animals that love to undermine the very foundation of our homes and houses. We should have cats trained specifically to exterminate the vermintide.
>>
>>2162601
if you're having issues with vermin try storing your food properly.

cats don't keep any pests down, they are a pest, you're better off dealing with rats than with cats.
>>
>>2162603
>you're better off dealing with rats than with cats.
Cat's are a pest but nowhere near as bad as rats.
>>
>>2160100
idk
>>
>>2162607
>nowhere near as bad as rats.
cats are worse in every aspect.

rats are literally a non-issue if you're not a complete dumbwit, if you've got no food for them laying around they're not there.

reminder that the 'pests' your cat kills aren't actually a pest, they're native animals.

without those rats your birds of prey would be starving.
>>
>>2162711
You really dislike cats don't you?
>>
>>2162722
im ok with cats as long as they're indoors.

every gardener hates outdoor cats.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 720x529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 720x529
>>2161903
>>
>>2162723
guess that makes it justified.
>>
>>2161903
Might be worth mentioning that dude on the right is slavic, and, as you can see on the left, considered subhuman by nazis
>>
>>2162722
Skaven shitposters I tell you. That's what
>>
>>2162607
>>2162601
>>2162588
Because when given the choice between native wildlife that is a much easier catch and pest species that have evolved alongside cats and adapted to avoid them, cats will choose the much harder to hunt rats and mice, right?

Wrong, cats will obviously more often go after and successfully kill native species which have absolutely no adaptive defenses against them.

This is why rats and mice become even MORE prevalent in areas with free-roaming cats. After the cats start wiping out the native rodents, the pest rodents move in the fill the open niche.

Identification of 68 prey items returned by cats indicated that 67% of 26 rodents, 95% of 21 birds and 100% of 11 lizards were native species

In addition, over 85 percent of the native deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) and harvest mice (Reinthrodontomys megalotis) trapped were in the no cat area, whereas 79 percent of the house mice (Mus musculus), which is an exotic species to California and considered as pest, were found in the cat area. According to Hawkins (1998) “cats at artificially high densities, sustained by supplemental feeding, reduce abundance of native rodent and bird populations, change the rodent species composition, and may facilitate the expansion of the house mouse into new areas...” (Hawkins, 1998).

http://www.tau.ac.il/lifesci/zoology/members/yom-tov/inbal/cats.pdf
>>
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d38_1467519238
>>
File: 1465612255470.jpg (143 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1465612255470.jpg
143 KB, 400x400
>>2160145
They're killing a lot of dumb birds and rodents and apparently that's a big deal.
>>
>>2160100
Remove humans. The problems that humans cause to the environment will NEVER be fixed so long as there are billions of literal retards who won't allow positive change to occur. Reining in feral cats will NEVER happen short of human genocide or some sort of environmentalist dictatorship.
>>
File: CAT FAGS BTFO.png (23 KB, 1316x184) Image search: [Google]
CAT FAGS BTFO.png
23 KB, 1316x184
>>2160100
See pic related.
>>
>>2162942
>have friend whos over 7 feet tall
>we live together for a year or so
>feral cat colony across the street on this huge redneck property, they do nothing about it, ferals constantly coming in our yard
>one day we're outside having a beer and there's a cat cleaning itself on top of my friend's car
>he executes a tremendous spinning backfist and the cat instantly turns into a sack of jelly from the impact
>later throw the cat into the fire pit
>cats completely burn up in a fire, bones and all, in like 10 seconds

why do cats burn so fast man? i don't get it. the bones burnt up instantly even
>>
I used to kill birds with my slingshot to feed to my indoor cat

You have a problem with this?
>>
>>2162942
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/pol/
>>
>>2161073

Back in my old shit hick town, we had roving packs of domesticated dogs turned wild, from the damn ghettos and hillbillies letting them run lose and never coming back, one kid got his ear and half his face damn near torn off and then his hands fucked up. Cats will haul ass if you come near them, btw, fuck rodents and snakes, and whatever else cats eat, boo hoo, mah rats and mice are being killed off. Here's a solid question, what was the connection and what happened to cats in/during the Medieval Times, Black Plague and the explosion in rodent (mice/rats) populations again?
>>
>>2162955

Is your friend a Na'vi?
>>
File: 1466144349939.jpg (61 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
1466144349939.jpg
61 KB, 604x438
>>2162903
wew fucking BURNED
>>
It's western hedonistic nature, so long as they can pet it every once in a while it's ok what damage it does.
>>
They're just birds and rodents, what's the big deal? At least cats aren't killing humans like dogs are.
>>
>>2164223
>mah rats and mice are being killed off

see >>2162772
>>
i dont know why people still so vehemently defend their outdoor cats when theres so much information online opposing outdoor cats.
>>
>>2164403
The final argument they have is "l-lel I don't even care about birds and shit though so you can't touch me".

And even that doesn't negate the fact that cats should not be an exception to the laws that govern all other pets: keep them safe on your own property.

It should be illegal to let your cat free-roam off of your property, the same way that it is illegal and heavily enforced for dogs. It should also be legal for people to humanely kill free-roaming cats that they find on their property, the same way you can kill other pest species like rats and mice.

Or if you suspect them to be a pet and not feral, you can take them to a shelter where they can hopefully be rehomed to someone who cares about them enough to keep them out of danger.

Letting cats free-roam should be treated as animal neglect and endangerment honestly.
>>
>>2164223
Whats happening in modern times with shitty cats killing everything
>>
File: 1360000260413.gif (88 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1360000260413.gif
88 KB, 400x267
>>2160100
This makes me so pissed. I don't like cats and I love birds, and shitty owners that think it's "cute" when their cat kills a bird make me fucking sick to my stomach.

NPR did some sob story about this a few months ago. Some retards with nothing going on in their lives started feeding feral cats and attracting them into town. Then the town's songbird population took a huge dive and tons of feral cats were running all over town shitting, dying, fucking, etc. The town banned feeding the cats and all the dumbass cat-lovers threw a huge bitch fit about how "unfair" it was and how all the cats would die. Then the city council overturned the ban and all the cat-lovers got all smug about it.

I swear to God, cat-lovers make me sick. They don't give a shit about the huge harm cats do to the local ecosystem, they just think feral, diseased cats are cute for some bullshit reason.

There are countless studies out there about how cats hunt the surrounding areas into a wasteland. Not only that, they rarely eat the whole carcass - especially if retards are giving them cat food as well - so then your town has to deal with tons of dead birds, skunks, opossums, etc as well as tons of dead cats and their shit and piss.
>>
>>2160100
Beat the shit out of the one neighbor that leaves food for them outside?
>>
Any outdoor cats that end up on my property I take care of myself. Everyone should do the same, then their dumbfuck owners would finally learn to keep them inside
>>
>people actually think that letting your cat outside is wrong for no reason and that a cat killing a mouse is somehow something bad

wow
>>
>>2165499
Cats killing millions of birds is terrible. It's unnatural, they are an invasive species. If you can't keep your disgusting animal out of my yard, it's your fault that it's dead.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.