[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Bullywug Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Thread question: what old settings have you brought back to 5e, and what houserules/homebrews have you come up to better fit 5e to them? Specifically stuff like Eberron, Dark Sun, and the like.
>>
>>47356515
THE BULLYWUGS ARE COMMING!!!
>>
File: thumb.png (126 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
thumb.png
126 KB, 200x200
Do these stats look good for a CR 8 monster? I'm a bit concerned that it might be too strong.

Spider-Breathing Dragon
Large Dragon, Chaotic Evil
CR 8, 5000 XP
“The creature appears at first to obviously be a dragon, but you’re pretty sure dragons don’t have fur. Or mandibles.”
AC: 17
HP: 17d10+56
STR 20 (+5)
DEX 12 (+1)
CON 20 (+5)
INT 5 (-3)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 10 (+0)
Actions:
Multiattack: The dragon makes four attacks, one with its bite, two with its claws, and one with its breath weapon.
Bite: Melee weapon attack, +7 to hit, reach 10 feet, one target. On hit, does 4 (1d8) piercing damage. Target must make a DC 13 CON saving throw or take an additional 8 (2d8) damage, taking half damage on a successful throw
Claw: The dragon uses its claws to attack. +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Does 11 (2d6+4) damage on hit.
Swarm Breath: The dragon exhales a breath of freaking spiders in a 30-foot cone. Does 1d8 damage on a failed save and half on a successful one. If the target fails their save, they are beset by a swarm of flying spiders. This swarm does 2d4 damage automatically to the target on the dragon’s turn. The swarm is scattered by using fire spells on it, submerging oneself in water, or anything else that would realistically get rid of a large number of arachnids. These swarms stack linearly—if a character is hit by the breath weapon twice, the new, larger swarm does 4d4 damage, then 6d4and so on. Each stack of a swarm increases the DC required to avoid the dragon’s next breath by 1.
>>
>>47356631
Most dragons don't have their breathe weapon as part of their multi attack, so maybe make it more powerful early but it can only use the breathe weapon as its action?
>>
Question about 5e Anons. Is there any benefit for wielding a giant weapon, like a great sword made for giants? or is it simply flavor? One of my players wants to play a Guts like character from Berserk and I can't find any mention of larger sized weapon rules. At this point i'm leaning towards it merely being flavor with him having a giant sword. or perhaps giving him the reach property when two handing it and giving it a higher strength requirement.
>>
>>47356688
Maybe change the swarm damage to 1d8+3, and then only allow it to use the breath weapon + a bite?
>>
File: 5e larger weapons.png (112 KB, 353x187) Image search: [Google]
5e larger weapons.png
112 KB, 353x187
>>47356785
DMG pg 278. It's not part of any normal codified rules because it's not expected to be in the realm of players, and heavy weapons are already pretty strong as-is.
>>
As a level 2 wizard, am I better off just taking 4 spells that are always memorized, then the other 4 as rituals?
>>
>>47356852
So a character that can pretty much guarantee advantage on demand like a barbarian could probably make it work, but it's not really worth it
>>
>>47356960
There really aren't that many great rituals
Take find familiar and alarm if you're an abjurer but what else? Detect magic?
>>
>>47356960
What sort of wizard?

Spells with the Ritual Tag generally have out-of-combat utility other spells might lack, but not exclusively so. Lots of non-ritual spells are fine, and you're not lacking if you'd prefer to load up with one-and-dones.
>>
>>47356796
Yeah that sounds more fair.
>>
>>47357214
I reduced the damage to 1d6+1 at each level and slightly increased bite damage. Most of this things attacks are going to hit most of the party, so I needed to nerf the AOE damage output, I think.
>>
File: omg_shota_by_AcidRainb0w.jpg (43 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
omg_shota_by_AcidRainb0w.jpg
43 KB, 600x776
Which book is the Ice Knife spell from? Can't find it in PHB
>>
>>47357286
Elemental Evil.
>>
>>47357286
Elemental Evil
>>
>>47357300
>>47357308
fanks!
>>
File: evil_pepe.jpg (24 KB, 394x458) Image search: [Google]
evil_pepe.jpg
24 KB, 394x458
So I need some advice on killing a fellow party member in Curse of Strahd. He is playing an elf druid and I am playing a human fighter, 3rd and 2nd level respectively. Basically he's been a huge dick lately in our group, total that guy, and I want to cut him down a peg by killing off his character. Trust me the guy deserves it.

Thing is, I don't want to kill him directly. I want it to look like an accident. We just got to the part where you meet Izmark and Irina, any good encounters coming up where I could get him killed off ?
>>
>>47357485
Don't.
>>
>>47357485
Why did you change the story about you getting rejecting by a girl and being petty about it?
>>
>>47357485
>Trust me the guy deserves it.
I don't trust you
>>
What's your current character /5eg/?

>forest gnome way of the long death Monk
>NG

He is the Scribe for a blind Wizard who lost his sight before he could learn Gnomish, he uses Gnomish in most of his spells so he had need for a scribe. As payment for his service the Wizard granted the Gnomes pet mole a long life. Now he travels with his pet mole searching for a sacred tome for the wizard.
>>
File: face autism.jpg (18 KB, 150x278) Image search: [Google]
face autism.jpg
18 KB, 150x278
>>47357485
>>47357498
Because he's a sperg.
>>
>>47357485
>killing off another players character because you don't like them

If you have a problem with them, talk to them about it or leave the group if it bothers you that much. Try acting like an adult.
>>
File: 230114_908223010.png (133 KB, 339x296) Image search: [Google]
230114_908223010.png
133 KB, 339x296
>>47357485
>total that guy
I'm not sure you're understanding what this is referring, Anon... Do the group and campaign a favor and just bow out the next time.
>>
>>47357509
Not so much current as upcoming, technically, but a wood elf blade warlock. He unwittingly passed into a fey crossing and discovered a sword that, when touched, promised him power and glory. He doesn't know quite what he agreed to or who his patron actually is, and isn't even sure whether he agreed to it of his own mind or was under some sort of control by the blade.
>>
Why are bear totem Barbarians so much fucking fun?

Halfing bug damage and have this fucking just power through it is never not fun to roleplay .
>>
>>47357498

What story?

>>47357496
>>47357504
>>47357612
>>47357608

No, it's not because I don't like him, it's because he treats the entire group like shit and he owns the only place we can really play at so we can't kick him out.
>>
File: 1193412846619.jpg (20 KB, 250x277) Image search: [Google]
1193412846619.jpg
20 KB, 250x277
>>47357773
>he
>>
File: 586758678576875.png (137 KB, 526x436) Image search: [Google]
586758678576875.png
137 KB, 526x436
I posted about how I change characters a lot in my group a few threads back and how they were getting mad at me. Just found out today that I'm not allowed to play with them anymore. I got kicked out because everybody had their own storylines and sidequests that converged into the main plot by that point and my characters were more like an NPC. feels bad. I think I'm going to take a break from this hobby, good bye friends.
>>
>>47357791

Dude don't quit. I have a player in my Savage Worlds group that constantly plays new characters but I don't give a fuck. He's on his fifth character and everyone else is on the same one, but they all die or leave in interesting ways so I don't mind.
>>
File: tortoise help.gif (2 MB, 195x271) Image search: [Google]
tortoise help.gif
2 MB, 195x271
>>47357496
>>47357498
>>47357504
>>47357608
>>47357612

Damn, look at /tg/, acting like decent fucking human beings.
>>
File: face shrug.jpg (106 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
face shrug.jpg
106 KB, 554x439
>>47357791
How in the fuck would you changing character affect their MUH EBIN SNOWFLAKE STORYTELLAN?? Sounds like you're better off without them, Anon.
>>
>>47357785

Yes, he. Why is that such a big deal? Most RPG players are hes. The point is that he is a tremendous douche bag and I want to fuck his life over for treating all of us like shit for so long.
>>
>>47357791
Lesson learned: if you play in an ongoing campaign, actually have some investment in it instead of none at all.
>>
>>47357819
We should get some context first.

>>47357791
Why do you always change your characters? It sounds kinda annoying if it's just because and not for good reasons.

>>47357829
Then all of you should tell him to stop being a jerk and stop playing because I'm sure he would like to play too. Be an adult about it.
>>
>>47357864

Why don't you just answer my question instead of being a judgemental douchebag about it?
>>
I want to play a Lawful Neutral Rules-Lawyer letter-of-the-law type character. What would be better? A paladin of some kind (what subclass)? A lore bard with emphasis on carefully worded contracts and curses? And enchanter or diviner wizard for deciding how things happen? Or some kind of warlock devoted to the God Machine of Mechanicus?
>>
>>47357920
Oath of the Crown is literal Lawful Neutral. Devotion is a close second.
>>
>>47357919
You literally have no fucking balls if the only conceivable way you can thinking of running this guy's life is killing his PC. And you're such a bitch you can't even have your character just outright do it. And to add to that, your jabroni ass doesn't even know how to fictionally kill another fictional character that you took time out of your day to come on 4chan and ask help in how to plot fictional murder to a guy who has been actually disrespectful to you. And now you're getting upset that no one here takes you seriously.
>>
>>47357093
Mechanically, probably not. Thematically? Fuck yeah it's worth it.

Hmm... even mechanically, Barbarian 2/Fighter (Champion) 3+ could maybe get some use out of crit-fishing with a 2d12 or 4d6 weapon. I don't really know how to factor in the disadvantage for DPR calculations, anybody feel like checking to see if a crit-fishing build with a large greatsword is worth it?
>>
>>47357119
>>47357144
Divination Wizard with
>Mage Armor
>Hideous laughter
>Magic missile
>Find Familiar
>Alarm
>Grease
Need 2 more for leveling up
>>
>>47357119
It doesn't matter how "great" they are, the fact that they're 100% free (other than time, of course) means that it's always good to have them available if you can. I'd definitely get the spells you know you'll constantly want to use, then make sure to write all the rituals into your spellbook anyway. Who knows when they'll come in handy?
>>
What is the largest discrepancy you've seen between the expected deadliness of an encounter, and the actual amount of effort required by the party to overcome said deadliness at your table? Like, ever had a 4th level party curbstomp a Golem? Or maybe watched a group of 12th level characters struggle against the Sisyphean task of killing a dire rat?

Planning a campaign and wanted to know how much effort I should actually put into balancing encounters.
>>
>>47358005
I almost forgot about the Barbarian's "extra weapon die on a crit" thing at 9. Now I'm thinking Half-orc Barbarian 9/Fighter 11 might actually be a viable option here... Or, more realistically, Barbarian 9/Fighter 3 since not many games make it to 20.
>>
>>47358155
Thanks to a bunch of critical hits and misses our group of 4 level 6 PC's got killed by 5 goblins.
>>
>>47358155
Its going to depend a lot on party composition and what resources they expend before the fight. Sometimes a team has all the right answers. Sometimes they're confronted by a round hole and all they have left is square pegs. But that's never discouraged a party before.
>>
>>47356852
>Enlarged PC has a greatsword
>2d6+1d4

>Large monster has a greatsword
>4d6

>Medium PC uses large greatsword
>4d6 and disadvantage

>Enlarged PC uses large greatsword
>4d6+1d4?
>>
>>47358582
forgot pic
>>
Please answer these:

1) How would the 5E hold up to 2E Realms materials?

2) How hard it is to introduce new players to this system?

3) Is it shorter to create a character and get going?

4) Is it fun
>>
>>47358631
1) I like it, but 2E probably has more material at the moment.
2) Stupid easy. I've gotten several new players up to decent levels running 5e.
3) I don't know what this means.
4) Yes.
>>
>>47358631
>1) How would the 5E hold up to 2E Realms materials?
Don't know, I started with 3e.

>2) How hard it is to introduce new players to this system?
Incredibly easy. The rules are pretty simple, and they can get the Basic Rules for free online and read up on them before the game without any investment on their part.

>3) Is it shorter to create a character and get going?
Shorter than anything past 3e, though again I'm not sure about 2e.

>4) Is it fun
Assuming a good group and DM, yes.
>>
>>47358738
I meant to convert 2E stuff to 5E
>>
>>47358816
I've heard it's not hard.
>>
>>47357773
Pro tip: next time you want to try this and pretend to be a different poster entirely, recognize that you're one of the few people here who puts an unnecessary line break between their post links and their text.

>>47357773
Do this.

>>47357773

Not this.
>>
What's the best module they've released for 5E?

I'm running Strahd to give our DM a break and we're going to delegate out a different module. Does /tg/ have an opinion? Personally I think Princes sounds cool.
>>
>>47359126
Best is between strahd and princes. Can't go wrong with either.
>>
>>47359126
Strahd or Princes if you want a good, classical D&D campaign.

Out of the Abyss if you want to make your players suffer.

Horde of the dragon queen if you want to make your players AND yourself suffer.
>>
I've got a session coming up in a campaign that has been pretty dark so far, and I want to give the players something to laugh about. A bit of contrast to entertain them in a different way for a quick encounter.

How much of an unfunny asshole am I if I put them up against a Dire Mimic in the form of a Gazebo?
>>
>>47359165
I've just started OotA. Whats bad about it for players?
>>
>>47359325
Well, it's in the Underdark for one, which is just a terrible setting full of stupid shit that people are weirdly attached to for no reason. If you want to run a dangerous campaign where everything around you will try and kill you, just go Dark Sun; at least it's interesting.
>>
>>47359252
Depends entirely on how many PCs it downs.
>>
How would you build a character based on the samurai from this movie clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1cMPnMcaY

I figure a monk would be the best fit, but monks are a bit on the weak side.
>>
File: cool, dawg.jpg (37 KB, 775x775) Image search: [Google]
cool, dawg.jpg
37 KB, 775x775
So just had my first 5e session, played a lawful neutral Eldritch Knight mercenary
Honestly, I found it a hell of a lot of fun, I was hurling chromatic fire orbs, yanking enemies towards me with lightning lure then twatting them, I even managed an attack of opportunity
I felt like such a nerd though, I had been looking forward to it for such a long time I had read up on all the rules and planned all my attacks ahead of time, I even yanked one of the enemies into range of the barbarian
Me and the druid knew what we were doing, always planning ahead to our next attack, making skill checks to deduce the surroundings, all that stuff
The DM was great too, he wasn't so confident in himself so I was helping him on rules and stuff, but we all had a lot of fun
Up until the point that the battlemaster used his action surge and maneuvers all on the same round which confused the hell out of him, and the barbarian couldn't remember all of her abilities so kept looking them up in the book, and the warlock was miserable he cast one of his only 2 spell slots outside of combat
I think it was amazing though, definitely a big step forward from the stripped down AD&D we were running, and the next session is tomorrow!
Any advice going in to it?
>>
>>47359579
>Up until the point that the battlemaster used his action surge and maneuvers all on the same round which confused the hell out of him
Boy, is your DM going to have fun when the BM starts doing some REALLY wacky shit with maneuvers.
>>
>>47359579
>felt like such a nerd though,

why? if it's fun it's fun nigga.

any way there's not much advice to give, just play and have fun. try and involve the players who don't do much if you can

also iirc a battlemaster can only expend one superiority die on his turn
>>
>>47359673
It confused the hell out of the battlemaster, I think the DM handled it well
>>47359695
It is hella fun
I will remember that next time he burns all of them in a single turn, thanks!
>>
>>47359695
>>47359757
>You can use only one maneuver per attack.
Superiority die are limited to one per swing. There's no cap on how many can be used in a single Attack action (which can constitute multiple attacks/swings thanks to Extra Attack), turn, round, whatever.

Remind your Battlemaster that maneuvers can also be used on unarmed hits and ranged attacks, in case he ever wants to knock a guy 15 feet backwards with a throwing axe or javelin.
>>
>>47359695
It's one die per attack.
>>
>>47359823
>>47359845
oh my bad, never played a battlemaster
>>
>>47359845
>>47359823
One should note it's also perfectly legit to use Feinting Attack (bonus action) to give yourself advantage and extra damage on your next attack, and use a maneuver on that attack as well.
>>
>>47359520
It shouldn't be too tough. I'm making it halfway between a Mimic and a Roper in how it fights. Slow movement, lashing tendrils that drag things in, adhesive, that sort of thing.
>>
how is the starter box? worth buying? does it only give out blue dice?
>>
>>47358887

The fuck is wrong with line breaks? I use them. Makes the post look better.
>>
>>47360016
I assure you that every normal person (as in "normal for 4chan") here disagrees. Break up your walls of text, sure, but don't separate replies or quotes from your response. It's a waste of page real estate and I run through monitor ink like a motherfucker now that we've got the Tomorrow style.
>>
>>47360124

I don't give a shit what the rest of you do, I've always posted like this for the past ten years. Pretty anal thing to nitpick about someone's post. Then again, /tg/ has never ceased to surprise me with the depths of degeneracy it stoops to.
>>
>>47360175
>/tg/ has never ceased to surprise me with the depths of degeneracy it stoops to
Like tolerating a breakposter like you for years?
>>
>>47360204

Like being a sperging little faggot about insignificant shit.

>omg LINE BREAKS listen kid if you wanna be a real oldfag like me stop doing that

Eat shit.
>>
File: 1448195718552.png (159 KB, 476x345) Image search: [Google]
1448195718552.png
159 KB, 476x345
>>47360221
>Eat shit.
>>
>>47360221
I just want to help you improve your writing style, Anon. I went to school for this.
>>
What do you guys play when you are tired of 5e? is there a good alternative?
>>
I don't normally make class decisions based on power level, but ranger looks so bad that it's actually dissuaded me from it, and consensus seems to agree with that. I just wanted to be an archer anyway, so I'll probably roll a fighter. Though I wonder if I could pull off an archer paladin...
>>
>>47359557
There's really nothing about that which really screams a certain class since it's mostly just attacking, moving and having HP in DnD terms. Battlemaster fighter makes sense since other classes would probably do more showy things
>>
>>47360329
Divine Smite doesn't work at range, sadly.

Rogue and Fighter are both good options for an archer, and Ranger, while weaker, isn't dead weight.
>>
>>47360329
Paladin's are really just not made to be archers. You could probably do a bard and just pick ranger spells if you wanted the casting part of ranger
>>
>>47359557
Are you allowing homebrew?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422749-Martial-Archtype-Kensei&p=19421862#post19421862
>>
>>47360329
Valor-Bard Archer is surprisingly good. They get access to the Ranger ranged-spell abilities before Rangers do.
>>
Hey 5eg, my ranger buddy is wondering, does primeval awareness only apply to favored enemies or all enemy types listed? We're currently in a car and don't have the book on us.
>>
>>47361079
All enemy types.

But it only tells you whether an enemy of each type is within range, not where and how many there are.
>>
>>47360888
Well I wouldn't allow that at least. The archetype just has too many features

Also I would take off the heavy part of the feat at the bottom. It's contradictory for a dex weapon to be heavy and gives you too many things you can do with one stat. The fighting style itself seems fine though
>>
>>47361257
>The archetype just has too many features
The number of features means nothing, it's the power level that matters. Many of the abilities it gets aren't that powerful, so just looking at how many they get is a really bad metric to use. Hell, looking at it, they don't even get that many anyway.

Unless you're referring to the list of maneuvers, in which case you missed the part where you only know some of them, just like the Battle Master.

Overall, it looks pretty well balanced, actually. I think you might have just jerked your knee a bit there.

As for combining heavy and Dexterity... I'd probably say that you can either gain Heavy or Finesse while two-handing a versatile weapon, not both at once (and make it the actual Finesse ability, to trigger things like Sneak Attack if you multiclass). That fixes that right up.
>>
>>47357093
Doesn't Pathfinder's Iconic Barbarian have almost exactly this schtick?
>>
File: brit.jpg (29 KB, 630x403) Image search: [Google]
brit.jpg
29 KB, 630x403
If British were a race in your next campaign, how would you stat it?
>>
>>47360329
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hxtw5vbg900xoo/The%20Complete%20Paladin.docx?dl=0

Maybe?
>>
Man, if there are two things I miss from the play test most it is Paladins with an option for ranged smites and barbarians with an option for dex-based advantages in eagle totem.
>>
the find familiar spell doesnt specify if the familiar needs to eat or sleep, and how far can it be from its master

does someone knows anything about this? like, can it be miles away from the wizard?

since its a fey, fiend or celestial spirit, how smart can it be?

can it be sent with a message to a place 1 day of travel far?
>>
>>47359959
I mean you can get it on amazon for $13 so yea, has everything you need to play lost mine of phandelver which is solid for beginners

you really need to use the pre-gen character sheets for LMoP though.

as for dice it has a set of blue dice that include everything besides a percentile die (because you will like never need a percentile die)

>>47360329
go valor bard with a bow, they're straight up better since they get ranger's spells before ranger does

maybe dip 1-2 levels into fighter if you want that archery fighting style and action surge

>>47361901
so just allow that in your game? no reason not to.

>>47361991
it doesn't need food, it's magic. you can just make him disappear for awhile and then summon them back into the world if you want

as for distance I'd probably make it restricted to like a mile from the owner, but I don't believe there is any actual metric for that
>>
>>47361776
Disadvantage on all tasks related to cooking.
>>
Guys, so since Barbarians get an extra attack at 5 can I use my extra attack and use my other action to ready an action? That action being to run in front of another player and take an attack they may receive?
>>
>6 months without a supplement

This is unacceptable.
>>
>>47362563
No. It costs your whole action to Ready an action.
>>
>>47359126
Out of the Abyss is amazing.
>>
>>47359325
It's rough going at the start and the module encourages the DM not to pull any punches, plus there's the survival element to the whole thing.
>>
>>47362563
>use my other action to ready an action

What
>>
>>47362563
Extra attacks are not extra actions. You literally just get to roll more d20s per attack action.
>>
>>47362563
extra attack gives you an additional attack when you take the Attack action with your action

you have a single action. if you attack with your action, you make two attacks.

those attacks can be spaced out (ie you make your first attack, kill your target, then use your remaining movement to get in range to attack again)
>>
>>47362598
>>47362642
>>47362644
>>47362741
Ah! That's for clarifying. It seemed too good to be true.
>>
>>47362798
What's the point of disarming strike if the enemy can pick their weapon back up for free?
>>
>>47360533
>Ranger, while weaker, isn't dead weight.
il just roll a beastmaster ranger then
>>
>>47361991
they're not "real creatures" anymore, they're a magical spirit now
you dont go buy a cat and teach it magic, you wizard a sprite cat into existance like >>47362052 said
it doesnt say theres a max range for its existence, but there is a max range for pretty much all of its abilities, and its not really "smart"
so you cant send it 10 miles away, have it spy on some bandits, then wizard it back and ask what color pants they were wearing
>>
Does the ranger horde breaker feat work with ranged attacks?
>>
Why have Tiefling as a race and not have a general outsider race that encompasses all mixed planar heritages?
>>
>>47362052
>it doesn't need food, it's magic. you can just make him disappear for awhile and then summon them back into the world if you want
>as for distance I'd probably make it restricted to like a mile from the owner, but I don't believe there is any actual metric for that
i see, thanks

>>47363002
i was asking about food because i like to rollplay all that stuff, and i was asking about its limitations to see if i could send for example an owl familiar with a message on its claws to landlords house 4 days behind us in case of needed, but i guess it wont be possible

on another topic, im about to reach level 4 with a druid (circle of the land spec - forest), and im unsure as to what 2nd level spell should i pick next

so far i've got and heat metal, besides barkskin which is granted by the forest choosen enviroment

what new 2nd level spell should i pick? the only two that got my attention so far are hold person and enhance ability, but im open to any other suggestions, the party consists of a wild magic sorcerer, a war cleric (not sure), a warrior (cant remember what specialization), a barbarian berserker and a rogue (cant remember what specialization)
>>
>>47363020
Yes, it does.
>>
>>47363060
probably because each planar heritige was its own race in older versions, in fact i think the elemental plants had MULTIPLE race options

that and tiefling is the most "normal" and "popular", even if it wasn't more popular, i cant think of any other than the aaismar(spelled wrong?) and the djinn/elemental ones
>>
>>47358887
I agree with this>>47360016 anon. I use line breaks, unless I want to appear a different poster.
>>
>>47360329
If you make a rouge archer, be sure to take the feat that gives you bonus weapon proficiency so you can get access to all the big ranged weapons, otherwise you're stuck with shortbows and light crossbows. As for subclass, I'd suggest assassin.
>>
>>47363131
you're both monsters
>>
>>47363193
Better off just dipping a level of Fighter, you get the Archery Fighting Style then too.
>>
>>47363194

Aren't we all?
>>
>>47363071
i like spike growth, but its just a "wall" so you're mileage may vary

also, there isn't really a reason you couldn't feed it, just that you dont need to. and like the other anon said, HE would probably restrict it to a mile. that doesn't mean your dm would
the main lines that describe how the thing acts are
>Your familiar acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its
own initatve and acts on its own turn. A familiar can’t atack, but it can take other actons as
normal.
independent birds would eat seeds or preen themselves, snakes would bask, hell an independent imp might laugh at shitty jokes.
and since they're both a spirit and logically as "smart" as the best animal they could become, theres no real reason you couldn't use a raven to send a message in real time (not magically instant) OTHER than distance
which is again, up to your dm
they are "that creature", just a magical version that you dont need to carry around birdseed for and cry when it dies. you just wizard it back

tl:dr you feed that fuckin owl baby mice nigga, aint no one stoppin you
>>
>>47362935
someone else could pick it up denying them it, otherwise if it gave some sort of boost, they lose it till the start of their next turn
>>
File: 1463419788477.jpg (6 KB, 197x206) Image search: [Google]
1463419788477.jpg
6 KB, 197x206
>8'4'' 352lb Goliath barbarian dies
>our druid casts reincarnate
>he comes back as a dainty cute elven lady
>literally cannot fathom the fact that he isn't muscular anymore
>commits suicide

Never use Reincarnate. Just pay for raise dead if party doesn't have a cleric
>>
>>47360288
There's a school for sperging on the internet?
>>
>>47363249
Lol thanks pal. As for the spell. Wouldn't soike growth affect my oarty as welk if i use it in a combat? I guess its like you said a "wall" spell, only for retreat not for offensive stuff
>>
>>47361469
it's a giant's bastard sword, technically it is a one handed weapon for a giant, but she uses it two handed.

As such, she can effectively use that weapon with a penalty, but still a 2d8 you don't want to be hit by.
>>
>>47363379
Why would he be dainty? He only loses 2 Strength. He'd be the buffest Elf chick ever.
>>
>>47362935
Also consider using a disarming strike if, say, a giant was holding and running away with one of your friends.
>>
>>47363379
I reincarnated our Wizard! without realizing he had a talisman that cheats death ONCE, but after 72 hours of death. His body came back to life basically as a soulless flesh zombie. Later we encountered the WIZARD reincarnated as an Orc Chief. It seemed the Gods befit his soul be hilariously placed in the body of a young weakling Orc. He was aware of all his memories, and basically exploded his opposition away and claimed the Orc settlement. He is also known as the only Wizard! Orc with a 17 Intelligence.

Also he kept his lifeless previous corpse as a pet, as it responded to basic commands, albeit clumsilly.
>>
For some reason i can't download the curse of Strahd book. Can anyone help
>>
>>47363071
Barkskin is worthless. Look at your party and ask yourself if any of them have less than 16 AC. That's probably not the case, and even if there's a Wizard or Sorcerer sitting at 15 after Mage Armor, do you really want to spend a slot per day (with only an hour duration!) plus Concentration on keeping this effect running? It's just not worth your time.

You want Gust of Wind, Pass Without Trace, Flaming Sphere, Moonbeam, or Spike Growth.

>Gust of Wind
A nice control spell, preventing enemies from getting near you or clearing them away from allies. Can also be used to blast fuckers off a cliff. Overpowered in corridors if your party has ranged options, since it does nothing against ranged attacks. Has a bit of utility in darkening rooms if they're conventionally lit, and counters several AoE spells (anything with 'cloud' in the name) or similar effects.

>Spike Growth
Another control spell. Great if your party has access to flying by some means (another caster) or wants to hold down an area. Unlikely to do damage because enemies can always walk out of it and they're not liable to take the damage more than twice (2d4*2), but at least it's technically hidden from them unless they saw it cast (though exactly how dumb or smart the enemies are depends on your DM). Good synergy with grapplers or other classes (Battlemasters, Warlocks) who can forcibly move enemies through the pain zone.

>Pass Without Trace
Your entire party are now master sneaks. Enjoy. This spell is fucking busted. +10 Stealth is ridiculous, especially for the level you get it. Even the fatty in full plate who has disadvantage on Stealth is a fucking ninja if you give him +12 to the skill. Scoot past any encounter you want, or just slip up behind all the enemies for a near-guaranteed surprise round and xabungle their clueless faces.
>>
>>47363524
well its a move through wall, not straight damage. so if you dont move in it you dont take damage.
its BIG though, so depending on the range you're fighting enemies(heavy range), or the rooms you're in, you could just as easily cast it on your party for defense, as force them to come to you while you're range picks them off. it cant be seen without a perception check, so a bunch of retarded gobbos are going to run right to you before they realize they're killing themselves. 2d4 per 5 feet isn't anything to shake a stick at, if your enemy takes a 20 foot move through it to melee you. its also difficult terrain, and a 10 minute concentration duration so like you said, its great retreat to wall off a path.
you pretty much have two great ones already anyway, i figured an aoe would be beneficial. your other choices could be moonbeam, or flaming sphere could be nice. but its not really druidy to set a bunch of shit on fire

that or some boring utility spell like darkvision, find traps, or pass without trace
>>
>>47363685
>>47363071
>Moonbeam
Inferior to Heat Metal as a single target damage option, but useful against enemies who obviously don't carry/wear metal objects. Great synergy with grapplers again, because you can reapply the damage without using your action. Fucks up shapeshifters, but you'll never meet one.

>Flaming Sphere
Requires more effort and positioning on your part, but you can hit enemies with a bonus action for 2d6 just like Heat Metal (2d8), and if they're dumb enough to stay near it for a whole turn (or are forced to, say, by a grappler yet again) you pretty much double its effectiveness. Has AoE and utility (it burns shit, so ask your DM what happens to a furry creature when contact with the sphere ignites its fur), and escaping from it can potentially cause enemies to provoke AoOs from your frontliners. Just be careful not to position it so that it damages your party or forces them to move in bad ways as well.

You might also take something more utility-oriented since your party has a Sorcerer instead of a Wizard, so he's more likely to be blast-oriented (like many of these Druid spells).
>Locate Object
Useful if you play smart and have a DM that runs a lot of non-combat encounters. Range is limited to 1,000 feet, but this is enough to track recent encounters through a city, forest, or cave. You can try to memorize an object they have on them if you get close enough, or you can give them an object that you're familiar with (ex., carry exotic currency, and try to bribe would-be assailants to leave you alone with a handful of cash which includes one of your trackable coins). Use it as ESP against humanoid enemies (if you're fighting knights, search for "the nearest crest of this knightly order"; if it's masked bandits, their unique masks; a goblin tribe in a cave, whatever weapon they seem to use most often; break examples of these after combat so that your perception of "closest" snaps to now-distant enemies.) Ten minutes of wallhacks.
>>
>>47359557
Make a Dex based battlemaster fighter with dueling as the fighting style and choose some neat battle maneuvers that work well with it. Also, dip 3 levels into swashbuckler rouge for expertise in acrobatics and cunning action for mobility, sneak attack for extra damage, and swashbuckler traits for various reasons.

If UA isn't allowed, make it a thief rogue instead for extra mobility or an assassin rogue for more damage.
>>
>>47362935
>Disarm enemy
>Grapple enemy
>Drag enemy
>Enemy can't get item now
It requires some forethought, but it's great for wrestler type characters.
>>
>>47363699
>ask your DM what happens to a furry creature when contact with the sphere ignites its fur

how exactly do you DMs here handle something like this?
>>
>>47363745
Also,
>disarm enemy
>action surge
>feint maneuver (as a bonus action)
>pushing maneuver
>step into space so the item is at YOUR feet, possibly pick it up if your DM isn't panicking about the balance now that you've taken out the spellcaster's focus from the battle in one turn
>>
>>47363685
>Barkskin is worthless.
many of the animals he can be at 1/2 cr still have less than 16 ac
less useful than heat metal, but not useless
>>
>>47363820

you already can't ignite worn items, I would just say that fur isn't more flammable than skin or clothes
>>
>>47363862
that's what I'd do but my players are the kind to bitch and moan about muh realism (except when muh realism isn't in their favor)

so i just told them that magical fire can't ignite anything, because unless specified the fire dissipates after serving its purpose (this came up when our arcane trickster firebolted an owlbear)
>>
>>47362935
You have a free item interaction each turn. Pick up your enemy's weapon or kick it 60 feet across the room. Now they can stand there and fight you with their fists or run after their sword, not reach it, and provoke AoOs as they go.
A Battle Master in one of my parties once disarmed a guy's hand crossbow, picked it up (dropping his own axe), bonus action grappled the guy (Tavern Brawler), used him as cover, and shot at one of the guy's allies in one move. Fucking action movie hero.

Knock a spellcaster's focus out of their hand or cut their component pouch, annoying your DM when you point out that such-and-such spell has material components and now their grand wizard can't do shit.

See how far you can push your luck while explaining that the umberhulk's entire limb is its weapon, and if you dis-ARM him, logically you're just lopping the whole thing off.

>>47363831
Remember that there's nothing that says an object has to be in your square to interact with it. How would you activate a switch on a wall, or the giant gear wheel to open a portcullis, or pick up an item from a table that you aren't standing on? You can stab a guy and grab him by the balls when he's "five feet" away from you, but you can't pick something off the floor there?
>>
>>47363685
Barkskin comes with the forest enviroment election, so its free i think.

>>47363694
>that or some boring utility spell like darkvision, find traps, or pass without trace
Yeah thats why im unsure about it. My character is a dwarf, so it already has darkvision

I was thinking on hold person and enhance ability because im not very familiar with the spells yet and i was thinkg on using them as support (hold an enemy while another party memeber strikes it to death. Or bust the barbarian's stats) but spike growth seems far better as it can be both offensive and defensive. As well as moon beam like that anon said (can it be cast on datlight?) It does 2d10 dmg
>>
>>47363880

you can say that it's too hot to actually ignite anything, it burns too hard

if they want to ignite people they can use oil flasks or spells like searing smite
>>
>>47360326
Risus is my go-to game when I'm burned out on any system.
>>
>>47363934
hold person is always pretty good; maybe you need to catch someone or take them alive, also good for out of combat scenarios or when a party member gets charmed
>>
>>47363880
Your arcane trickster shouldn't even have firebolt, it's a terrible choice when he could just shoot a shortbow more efficiently. If I were you, I'd suggest that he chose another cantrip, maybe show him the ones from SCAG. Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade are great for rogues, since sneak attack can apply.
>>
>>47363820
Some enemies in the Monster Manual have igniting attacks, like the Fire Elemental. Damage is 5 Fire per round until someone (could be the creature, could be an ally) uses an action to put it out. Exactly what constitutes putting it out is up to you; that might be patting them down with a cloak, throwing dirt, dousing them with water, whatever.

5 Fire is the same damage as igniting an oil slick or coated enemy from a thrown oil flask, but that's non-repeatable.

You might rule that a flaming creature makes a Dexterity save at the end of every round (or beginning, before damage is dealt, if you want this to be less powerful) to extinguish the fire without the use of an action, with the ability to spend the action for a guaranteed extinguish.
>>
>>47363928
Yeah, there's a reasonable argument to suggest you could grab it after he drops it - definitely worth trying it with your DM! Cool DMs will allow you to flip it right out of their hands into yours.
The way I suggested leaves no room for getting out of it though, if he's ten feet away and I'm standing on top of it? It's clearly my thing now.
>>
>>47363934
darkvision in this case is for a. an animal form that doesnt have it, or B. the literal one party member that somehow doesnt have it because he's a lameo

i personally would go with an aoe regardless, but depending on your party comp i guess. like you said, both hold and enhance are good
dont forget enhance ability works on ability period. it buffs that barbs hit the same amount as it buffs the bards haggling
>>
>>47363968
he wanted it, and he always has a free hand so it's easier for him to just cast firebolt instead of pulling out his bow and sheathing his rapier.

nobody at my table cares about powergaming. booming blade might b cool though because he could disengage with his bonus action
>>
>>47363694
>but its not really druidy to set a bunch of shit on fire
Fire is very Druid-y. Kossuth used to be a valid nature power source for Druids in past editions. Fire burns away disease and culls the weak. From the ashes, new life grows, stronger than before thanks to the nutrients that now enrich the soil. Burn cycles are a natural part of the ecology of many forest, shrubland, and prairie biomes. Druids might discourage people from stopping fires because build-up of debris leads to more catastrophic damage when a fire eventually does hit, or they may set their own controlled fires to safely clear a fire line or overgrowth. Some animals and plants only proliferate in the unique environment that follows in the months and years after a burn. And if someone is just a plain ol' enemy of the forest, nothing says "fuck you" like incineration.
>>
>>47364005
Yeap, it's a fun spell. A rogue duo could seriously fuck up someone's day with Booming Blade. They attack side by side, then disengage and let the enemy decide if he'll stay put like a sitting duck or run after them and they the damage.
>>
>>47364102
and at level 5 it just straight up does a 1d8 to the target on the attack itself

that's pretty cool but my rogue already shits damage (i'm very generous about sneak attacks) so that might be a bit much.

also there's the question of how to "play" booming blade from my perspective. Does the guy hit know he's going to boom when he moves? isn't there some sort of visual effect?

obviously something dumb/oblivious wouldn't notice
>>
is there a collection of all the best-of-the-best homebrew classes?

playing in a group wherein everyone is playing a homebrew of some sort, and I don't want to filter through all the shit
>>
File: heavybreathing.jpg (33 KB, 600x553) Image search: [Google]
heavybreathing.jpg
33 KB, 600x553
>Write a bunch of poetry, some of which has some hints to the plot for my campaign
>Super nervous about it
>Finally get to the part of the story where the players read it
>They all really like it and complement me on it
>They even catch a few of the more subtle references to plot elements I put in there

I feel so fucking happy right now, holy shit

Being a DM is the best
>>
>>47364045
well all of those examples are druidy yeah
>causing a thick mesh of brambles to knit under the feet of goblins that have dug their way into the barons keep
>setting those fuckin goblins ablaze with a blob of fire in the same setting
the same way lightning is druidy, but druids dont run around zapping niggas left and right like a tempest cleric
>>
>>47364126
Well, it says they become sheathed in booming energy, so I'm guessing it would have some visual or otherwise sensory effects. Probably vibrations, considering it involves sound energy. Most enemies without knowledge of magic but with enough intelligence might ignore it at least on the first time, unless they are overtly cautious. After realizing what it does, they might decide to resort to thrown weapons against the kiting rogue. Or they can just say fuck it and charge through anyway.
>>
Guys, how would you make a 10 Wisdom and 8 Int Half-Orc Bearbarian use his bear sense and speak with animals in a decent roleplay way.

I have it in his back story that he was raised by a druid hermit. And said druid attuned him with the potential to unlock his bear totem. He is unaware of his totem powers currently and sorta uses them at points where the party is stuck or there's a dangerous animal threat. He is kinda simple though so I feel like he shouldn't be using them often.

His last use was using his beast sense and chucking the snake he found as far as he could so he could see any threats up ahead.

The DM was nice enough not to let the snake die outright
>>
File: iama.png (16 KB, 780x302) Image search: [Google]
iama.png
16 KB, 780x302
I had never considered a Wizard/Druid multiclass until I got hit with this today.

I might have to make this character a thing in a future campaign, but I have no clue of how I'd want to level the character up since I've never multiclassed before.

Would it be better to
>get Wizard 2/Druid 1 for the Divination Portent, then take Druid levels for the hit dice and Land spells, or

>get to Druid 3/Wizard 1 for the Forest spells and then take Wizard levels for the Wiz spells
>>
>>47364524
>Druid MC
>12 WIS
>>
>>47364524
What do you hope to gain from a druid/wiz MC? Or is it just for thematic reasons?
>>
>>47364524
I did one of those and got rogue/sorc

Made me think about what kind of shenanigans I could pull
>>
>>47365022
I mean bard/sorc
>>
What's the most fun class/race combo at 3rd level, tg? GM surprised us with a one-shot this week since a few of our usual group can't make it and a couple of his friends want to try out the system, so we're free to go wild with 3rd level characters and I can't decide.
>>
>>47356631
>The dragon exhales a breath of freaking spiders in a 30-foot cone.

Dear sweet Jesus, It breathes swarms of spiders? So does it contain swarms of spiders within?

nopenopenope.jpg
>>
Under what conditions does a spell count as an attack?

I'm asking because Hex lets me add d6 damage everytime I hit the target with an attack. If I use Hellish Rebuke (for instance) on the target, it doesn't require an attack roll. Do I still do 1 d6 extra damage?
>>
>>47362935
>disarm enemy
>have your Cleric cast shatter
>>
>>47365584
Effectively, if it requires you make an Attack Roll, it activates. Eldritch Blast and Scorching Ray activate Hex for example, but Fireball wouldn't, since you're not making an attack roll, they're making a save.
>>
Does anyone have experience using Inspiring Leader? Does it hold up on higher levels?
>>
>>47365496
forest gnome beastmaster ranger with a mount companion
>>
>>47365761
I have no experience with it, but it looks like it stays pretty competitive to me. In my games, higher level tends to equate to longer adventuring days, which makes the relative value of the feat stronger.

Granting 30 more hitpoints to everyone in the party each fight can be a hell of a lot of durability over the course of a day. Obviously loses some value if you get only one fight per day.
>>
>>47366010
Where do you get 30? It's thp worth your lvl + CHA mod, which would max out at 25 at lvl 20, right?
>>
>>47366027
You're correct. I did quick shitty math.

One interesting, albeit flawed, way to look at it would be to consider the feat as granting the party +2 Con every time you can get a short rest. Pretty good investment for only one feat, if you ask me.
>>
Has anyone had any play experience with the UA swashbuckler?
How'd it turn out?
>>
>>47366418
Might as well just play the SCAG Swashbuckler, which is a cleaned up version that your DM might actually allow.
>>
>>47365853
That's a pretty great mount!
>>
>rogue is restrained by vines (from the entangle spell) and surrounded by enemies
>evocation wizard says he will cast a fireball, and sculpt it so that the rogue is not hurt, but the enemies around him are
The wizard said he could still burn off the vines from the rogue's arms and legs thus freeing him, because his interpretation of the feature was that there was still fire in the rogue's space, but the rogue was magically unharmed by it.

I ruled that the wording of "sculpt spells" and "create pockets of relative safety" implied that you were shaping the blast of your fireball so that there was no fire in his space (ie a "pocket"), and so he would be unharmed but the vines would also remain unburnt -- he had to decide whether to leave the rogue unharmed but still restrained, or to burn the vines off while hurting him in the process.

What do you think?
>>
>>47366884
Also, it was actually Aganazzar's Scorcher to be exact, but I don't think that really matters
>>
>>47366884
Your interpretation sounds logical when imagining how it would work, but technically it states that you choose targets, not spaces, so RAW your wizard would be right.
>>
>>47366884
Sounds fine to me.
>>
File: ss wizards.jpg (69 KB, 794x422) Image search: [Google]
ss wizards.jpg
69 KB, 794x422
>>47366884
Sounds fair, If the square with the rogue won't be fireballed the vines will be a little singed at the most and he'll still be stuck. If you're feeling generous you could give the rogue advantage on breaking free, since the "anchor vines" in the surrounding squares are disintegrated, but whatevs.
>>
>>47345867
>>47345917
>And, I should level up soon, before she gets to 4th. I'm closer to 3rd than she is to 4th, basically. So it's a matter of waiting. Also maybe I could find a way to get her to miss a couple of sessions so I could catch up more on XP?

Now you're talking! This is definitely the way to go. At level 3 you can get some battle master manoeuvres. You're really gonna want that and if she isn't there then that's more xp for you. Do you know where she lives yet? If not, follow her home next time. Find out where she lives and watch her for a couple hours. There are two things you want to look out for: children and pets. If she has either of these then you have an ace in the hole. Buy a burner phone and call her number. Make up some bullshit to get her out of the house. If you can somehow find out her mother's name, the following should work just fine: "Hello, is this Anonette? My name is Dr. Lewis, we're at [local hospital] with your mom... shes been in a terrible accident and you're listed as her next of kin. We don't believe she's going to make it. This might be your last chance to speak with your mother.". Once she's left the house (shell probably leave in a panic - no locked door), go in (if the door is locked then just find a way), steal her dog or her child, and bring it somewhere secluded. Next, rape it. And blind it or cut off a finger (if child) or arm (if dog). Lock it in your basement. Now keep this all under wraps. No way will she come when her kid is missing. If you have her dog, then call from another burner phone to tel her that you saw a dog that matches the lost dog poster description trotting around on the other side of town (she might still come if she's just missing her dog).

Anyway, a couple weeks should be enough time for you to level up. When you're level 3, kick the dog/kid to the curb somewhere secluded and get ready to kill her stupid slut character.
>>
>>47366884
>>47366927
I'd have let him burn off the vines- it says nothing about spaces, it just says to pick however many creatures inside that auto - pass the saving throw.
If he'd had a swarm of rats in the same space, would they have been safe too? I think he should be able to hit them.
Also remember that although spaces are useful, the system uses feet and imagination first, battle grids are optional, so thinking that the spell leaves a 5ft square hole around him isn't quite right by that thinking.

I don't think it's a big deal, you're not a butthead, but it would have been a neat way to get some use out of a class feature while spending a spell slot - it's not like he is doing it without cost to himself.

If this changes your mind, be sure to let the players know it'll be a viable tactic from now on!
>>
>>47366884
logically you
technically him
gameplay, you're the dm and his argument clearly wasn't compelling, thus you overrode it

maybe let it work in the future, but its not like entangle killed his 20th level rogue and he's salty as fuck
i personally would let it work as a dm, its creative enough to be "interestingly believable"
>>
>>47367018
>>47366991
>>47366937
Yes, thanks, I think I'll allow it in the future. I just wanted to get third party opinions on it.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Dual-Wielder.png (41 KB, 331x183) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Dual-Wielder.png
41 KB, 331x183
>take dual wielder feat
>wield whip and rapier
When does attack of opportunity occur? I haven't read the DMG, so forgive me if I'm asking a question that it answers (I'm not a DM yet).

I figure that the player can choose? If the enemy steps away from adjacent, then the player can AoO with the rapier. If he disengages from adjacent then no AoO period? And then if the enemy fails to disengage from adjacent and player for some reason doesn't AoO there, then they can use to whip if the enemy fails to disengage from 10 ft?
>>
>>47367065
Don't have the rules handy but my on the fly ruling would probably be that the character's reach was 10' and that a target moving from 5' to 10' away wouldn't be leaving his reach and wouldn't trigger an AoO.
>>
>>47367065
If they use disengage, no one can use an AoO on them period.

But you would be able to take AoO from either adjacent or from reach distance since you have a weapon for each reach. The only downside is that you only get one reaction per round to make an AoO.
>>
>>47366429
I've only run across DMs that allow UA stuff. It seems like most people (I've talked to) consider it supplemental material; it's the DMG stuff that struggles to get DM support.

What's worse is I've told my players to play anything they want, and they still go core races and classes.
>>
How does portent work in a RP sense when using it on someone else's attack? I assume for your own attacks it would be attacking because you know they will be at a weak point and you will hit or if someone is attacking you, you know how the attack will go so you can evade it.
Is it literally just shouting at someone 'STAB HIM IN THE DICK, YOU'LL HIT, I CAN SEE THE FUTURE!'?
>>
Has anybody here thought of giving "knowledge" skills combat applications? Like mcgyvering stuff or applying knowledge to gain an advantage:

>you spend one round studying the beast's movements and looking for weak points in its defenses. You gain a +2 to hit in your next attack.
>>
>>47367219
Might as well just take the help action/have someone else take the help action
>>
>>47362587
There're a bunch of online things to help cover the gap, and they're specifically trying to avoid the massive glut of supplements that ruined earlier editions.

Check out the UA and DM's Guild stuff for the moment, and hope that having so much time to work on the first supplement means it'll be fucking awesome.
>>
>>47367154
Lucky you, my group is full of people who want to play this week's latest special snowflake class from the homebrew wiki. One plays core races and classes consistently and the rest want to play dragon knights or whatever. I usually gimp the homebrew classes though
>>
>>47366884
>six seconds of fire wooshes past a bunch of fresh green vines
>somehow distant enough from a man to not singe him in the slightest
>a man who is standing on the ground
>the ground which the vines are erupting from and rooting him to
>his feetsies aren't even charred a bit but the fresh green vines are supposed to melt
Shoulda aimed that nuke at Entangle's caster and hope the damage is enough to make him drop Concentration.
>>
>>47367299
MAGIC
>>
>>47367219
>+2 to hit
That's not really how 5E works, would more likely be advantage on an attack.
>>
>>47367219
pretty sure the inquisitive UA has that feature, but as advantage (see >>47367345 )
>>
>>47367315
Aganazzar's doesn't even say it ignites flammable objects like other spells ([Delayed Blast] Fireball, Flaming Sphere, Fire Storm, Lightning Bolt, Meteor Swarm, Burning Hands) do.

If he wants to cut vines, it's time to use Mordenkainen's Magical Lawnmower (Cloud of Daggers).
>>
>>47367365
To be fair, I checked the rules for entangle and it doesn't say anything about them being flammable either - just a STR check to free yourself.
I like the idea of Magic Lawnmower though.
>>
>>47367345
>+2 to hit
That's exactly how the Archery fighting style works, though.
>>
>>47367401
I could see sculpting an AoE so that you burn an enemy grappling an ally but not the ally (you just collapse the bubble a bit in the direction the enemy is, and THEIR BODY protects your ally from the damage) but not being so precise as to get a fire's radiant heat close enough to burn something wrapped around his limbs but not so close that he gets toasted.

And I'm the kind of DM that runs on Pokemon and Divinity: OS logic when it comes to magical damage and environmental effects (say, zapping guys drenched in water for bonus damage).
>>
>>47367407
I think the idea behind that is that it's permanent. It's OK to give "+X"s to things as long as it will always BE "+X".
For temporary bonuses, that's where advantage comes in.
This saves the system from on the fly calculating, and doesn't change success ranges, just gives you more chances, which is a subtly different way of applying it. I think it's part of the bounded accuracy approach.
>>
>>47363820
There is a distinct difference between the terms "flammable" and "combustible". Gas and oil are flammable, wood and fur are combustible. Combustible means it can be lit on fire given enough time held against a flame, flammable specifically means that it is quickly and easily lit on fire.

When a spell says it "lights flammable materials on fire" or something similar, that means it'll only catch fire on something like gas or oil, not wood or flesh, or even fur, because none of those are flammable.

In the case of a burning sphere, an animal with fur would have to literally press up against it for several seconds to catch fire, which isn't a scenario that's ever likely to happen.
>>
>>47363928
>kick it 60 feet
No.
>>
>>47367493
>can throw a spear 60 feet
>leg muscles are stronger than arm muscles
>can't kick something 60 feet
>>
>>47367493
My Battlemaster can punch a 400 lb ogre and slide him three tiles back, I'm pretty sure his 10 lb greatclub can cover at least four times that.
>>
>>47367154
I'm the opposite, I'm fine with pretty much all the DMG stuff (aside from rules that require a grid like flanking), but I rarely if ever allow UA.
>>
>>47356631

I think it looks cool. Needs a few changes

First of all, I think move the breath weapon to a recharge meter like all other breath weapons. Keep it consistent with the dragon theme. Having it part of the multiattack might be a bit too much.

Second, The bite should have it's strength added in. Just like any other bite.

Third, there is no save DC that I can see for the breath weapon. Might want to place it at 14.

Fourth, I'd bump up the CON save DC by 1. 14's about the number of a CR 8 creature to make saves for.

If I were you, I'd just use a young dragon template and just slather on the breath. If your party is level 8, then you can use 2.
>>
>>47367493
>Characters with 20 str can pretty reliably suplex Ogres
>They can't kick/slide a weapon far enough away that they can't run over and get it
>>
>>47367527
Not even remotely the same thing. You can't compare throwing an aerodynamic weapon from the perfect position and angle with a limb evolutionarily designed to throw something like that to kicking something that's on the ground.

If you had a running start and somebody holding the item up for you (like a football), then you could kick it that far. But not while it's just resting on the ground and you're standing next to it.

>>47367545
If you want to spend a Superiority Die to kick the weapon 15 feet, that's fine, go for it. And for the record, part of the 15 foot movement of that 400 pound ogre can easily involve stumbling backwards from the blow, it's not necessarily that you literally threw an ogre 15 feet.
>>
>>47367571

Me again, in particular the Green Young Dragon might suit you well.
>>
>>47367589
>Characters with 20 str can pretty reliably suplex Ogres
They can use leverage and positioning to grapple an ogre, or trip its feet out from under it, but last I checked there was no "Suplex" action.
>>
>>47367219
I'm up for anything that could encourage more skill checks. I wrote up some mundane weaknesses and quirks for monsters that PCs could discover and implement, but they vary in effectiveness and most would require preparation instead of being effective on the fly.
>>
>>47367483
Quite. Although I've personally used it when monsters rolled a 1 for their dex save when the spell hit for them extra theatrics.
>>
>>47367611
>What is grappling the ogre, turning to move him behind you and then shoving him prone

It's like you have no imagination
>>
File: 1459794479377.jpg (160 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
1459794479377.jpg
160 KB, 1024x708
>>47364632
I don't think the website that generates this gives a fuck about meeting the MC requirements. If nothing else, I'd reroll the stats to make the char 5e legal if I wanted to play it.

>>47364908
Things that I could gain from Druid levels as a Wizard:
flavor (Divination wizard who communes with nature a lot)
ability to use shields/light armor
some useful spells, mainly Cure Wounds and Faerie Fire

Not to say this character would be great from a minmax perspective, but I think it'd be cozy to play.

>>47365032
Bard/sorc seems fun as fuck, especially since you can just pump CHA and do well as both. I don't hate the idea of giving out quickened Lightning Arrows like candy
>>
>>47367139
Except with sentinel feat.
>>
>>47363545
Well I'm not entirely sure how his DM handled it, but I think it's completely reasonable to have to reroll physical stats when you permanently change your body.
>>
>>47367219
Well, successfully figuring out if the opponent has any immunities, resistances or weaknesses is pretty important.
>>
>>47363379
Can you change sex when you reincarnate? PHB doesn't say anything about it.
>>
>>47367219
>>47367345
>>47367360
>>47367706
>spend a turn studying the enemy
>IF you succeed, advantage on next attack

Why the fuck do you people think this is better than spending your first turn attacking without advantage (chance to deal damage) and your second turn attacking (chance to deal damage). This equates to two rolls that each have a chance to deal damage.

The alternative you're proposing is spending your first turn to study (a chance (no guarantee) to double your chances to do damage once) and then your second turn attacking with advantage (one chance to deal damage) or attacking without advantage (one chance to deal damage).

Just play the game, jesus christ. Stop trying to be an epic mastermind special snowflake.
>>
>>47368293
>I don't hate the idea of giving out quickened Lightning Arrows like candy
What? Isn't a lightning Arrows a Bonus Action already?
>>
>>47368441
>Why the fuck do you people think this is better than
I don't, I'm describing how such a mechanic could work within 5E. In fact, such a thing already exists with True Strike (probably the second worst cantrip after Friends)
>>
>>47368483
Not that anon, but I've seen friends used to great effectiveness against captured bandits and other such enemies for interrogation purposes. They played good cop with the help of friends and I played bad cop when friends would end. It was a fun campaign.
>>
>>47368441
Maybe it's for the use of a limited resource like a spell slot.
>>
>>47368483
Even the people who think that a +2 is a good idea. That's, a) if only for the next turn, not how 5e works, and b) if permanently for the remainder of the fight, again, not how 5e works - in this case, EVERYONE with a reasonable modifier is going to be taking this action and fights with surprise will be terribly unbalanced in the surprising enemies favor (they have the chance to "study" beforehand). Changes the entire meta of the game. Combat has been rigorously tested and balanced with the meta as it stands.
>>
>>47365508
When my party killed it spiders burst through its skin after they ate it from within.
>>
>>47368453
damn, it would seem that it is.
Which would make quickening it an awkward thing because of the function of "the next attack you make"

Well there goes that little flavor dream, unless a DM lets quicken things between multiattack with a valor bard.
>>
>>47367825
My imagination is fine, but barring a magically enhanced Strength score far above 20, what you just did was grab one of the ogre's limbs, strike at its ankle to get it off balance, drag it around you, then give it one final shove to knock it prone.

What you did not do is grab the ogre around its midsection, then fully lift it up into the air and bend over backward to slam it down behind you. That's a perfectly fine description for a human-sized opponent (or a comedic game, which most aren't), but it's not something you can do to an ogre.
>>
>>47368441
>Why the fuck do you people think this is better than spending your first turn attacking without advantage (chance to deal damage) and your second turn attacking (chance to deal damage).
Because you will always have the ability to attack on every single turn you ever take. There will never be a point in any adventure you have where you can't attack this round, so you decide to study your opponent to set up your next round.

Also, must-hit limited-use effects.
>>
>>47368585
Sure? If a player with knowledge skills wanted to take some sort of skill check as an action to replicate the True Strike cantrip I'd probably be okay with allowing that though. Chances are they're a spellcaster anyway, I guess.

>>47369158
I have no idea what you're talking about nor what you think Quicken actually does? I can't remember whether you can split up your attacks with a bonus action in between or if it's just for movement and object interaction.
>>
>>47369436
Usually bonus actions are things you can do while you do other stuff. A quickened spell just simplifies the casting so that you can cast a cantrip or hit a nigga while you channel the spell.
>>
>>47369436
Yeah, he'd only get one bonus action per turn, so no real reason to use it with multiattack. And quicken spell ONLY turns a spell with casting time 1 action into a bonus action, nothing else.
>>
So what is the situation on UA? Last one we had was February, or have I missed stuff? I know about the shitty review thing for March, did they continue that or something?
>>
Help me with Curse Of Strahd, friends:

One of my stupid players tried to attack Madame Eva and is now blind and deaf. Are there any NPCs around with a restoration spell?
>>
>>47370233
Make one up, and have the character do some funny stuff to get restored.
>>
>>47369436
>Sure? If a player with knowledge skills wanted to take some sort of skill check as an action to replicate the True Strike cantrip I'd probably be okay with allowing that though. Chances are they're a spellcaster anyway, I guess.
You ignore the point that it's just stupid. Statistically a worse choice than just attacking over the course of two turns unless you're a rogue who needs sneak attack (in which case, arcane tricksters shouldn't even consider the cantrip). Also it trivializes the Battlemaster's 7th level Know Your Enemy feature which costs a minute and reveals two of either the strength, dex, con, AC, current HP, class levels, or fighter levels. This costs the battlemaster an entire minute and it grants no practical advantage to the individual. It's totally unfair to that archetype to just let anybody take a single action that outperforms his 7th level archetype feature.

inb4 i get called autistic or people continue to argue with me just because they want to be right rather than caring about the balance of the game/class features/etc.
>>
>>47370247
This player is also evil to the core, so i'm thinking about something that will make him clash with the party even more.
>>
>>47370379
Maybe have him keep a baby bird alive throughout the party's next thing, or build a house for orphans.
>>
>>47370379
Whoever can heal him needs him to literally bring someone else's eyes and ears, so they can replace his broken ones. They've gotta be fresh, of course (good luck convincing the party to help him with that, and good luck doing that while blind and deaf without his party's help), and the process of replacing his eyes and ears is going to be incredibly painful... probably shave off a few points of maximum HP (permanently).

Now, you might say that this is a little too much to ask a player to un-fuck their character, and you're right, it is. That's what you get for being stupid enough to attack anyone named "Madame" anything in a Gothic horror setting.
>>
>>47370475
this guy -> >>47370417 here I forgot this was Ravenloft.
>>
>>47370185
We got Gothic Heroes in April. March and May were DMs Guild spotlights, as will every other month's UA from here on out unless they back down. Next proper UA should come out June 6th.
>>
>>47370567
Right, thanks, I tried searching their site but they don't name then Unearthed Arcana anymore so didn't find anything new.
>>
Why is most of the art in the 5e Monster Manual rather bland? Where is my weird shit? Is there anyone that's redone them that you really liked?
>>
>>47370735
They tried to normalize the game, make it easier for casuals, so not really surprising. I like the modrons myself, and the centaur is pretty cool.
>>
>>47370735
Swole-bolds are my favorite.
And I wouldn't say that it's bland; it's just a pretty big departure from the "Dear sweet Pelor what the fuck is THAT horror" style that we had back in 2e.
>>
Is there any stuff out there about demon pacts? Not talking about warlocks, just general things.
>>
>>47370941
Seconding this, I'm quite confused. I had a conversation with a demon that was trapped, and when it asked if I would make a pact with it once it got out I said sure, I would, and whoop de doo a pact was made, I didn't even explicitly say yes to it but once it was free it automatically activated the pact and now I give people cancer if I stay close to them long enough. It's cool and all but I'd love to know how pacts are made in vanilla - and how they keep you to it, if your soul by default goes to the plane of your god etc.
>>
>>47371040
It's entirely up to the GM and if you're describing the situation accurately it sounds like you have a crappy GM.
>>
>>47371040
>I said sure
>to a demon
>I didn't ask it for a written contract of explicit and clear terms before even slightly nodding in its general direction
You deserve everything you get (even if it does sound like your GM forced you into it to be a dick). Also, I'm pretty sure it's just up to the DM as to what the pact entails. For all you know it could mean that your soul is forfeit to the demon or its master.
>>
>>47371097
I'm not sure if my character was lying or not, but most likely he wasn't and while it is kind of weird it's still the same outcome as long as he was honest. I think the pact stuff is pieced together out of necessity, the story arc was about a warlock that made pacts with hundreds of demons, promising his soul to each but when they found out the rebelled and fucked up the whole area, the biggest meanest one torturing him for his actions.

>>47371118
I did agree to give up my soul when I died, in return for cancer powers (and other things). But yeah, I could've expected such things from a demon, I just want to know how it's done in the Realms or something as reference.
>>
how good is the adventure in starter set?
>>
>>47371384
I haven't ran it myself but I've only heard good things about it.
>>
>>47371384
I personally enjoyed it a lot. The only problem with it is that it is pretty short. If your fine with a short, low level campaign, or if you're fine with hombrewing campaign after it's done, then it's perfect imo.
>>
>>47371384

Pretty comfy in my opinion. Classic adventuring stuff with a nice sandbox, and the Phandalin town got this cool wild west feel to it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.