[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of our threads hit autosage! -edition The usual disclai
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12
File: 1446122269735.jpg (1 MB, 2438x1693) Image search: [Google]
1446122269735.jpg
1 MB, 2438x1693
One of our threads hit autosage! -edition

The usual disclaimer that some of these links may not work applies.

=GURPS Resources==
If you want to learn the basic mechanics of the system, get GURPS Lite for free at www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/

Character Templates. Think Character Classes.
http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Templates

GURPS 4th edition Books:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pusp4xl9rxmex/

4th edition Character Sheet utility:
https://www.gurpscharactersheet.com

Combat Examples. Very useful for new players and GMs! Check out how different options effect things.
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/

GURPS Murder Simulator, a fun tool to simulate shooting people in GURPS.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40207800/MiscDev/MurderSim2015.exe

GURPS 3rd edition PDFS. Unreliable. Try again if they don't work.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qiq29z073l9zs/GURPS
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fvkg5h94x1k1m/GURPS

What Skills should every PC have? Good idea, moderate execution.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148&postcount=22
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=676097&postcount=4

Combat Cheat Sheet
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10971026/Combat%20Maneuvers%20Cheat%20Sheet%202.04.pdf

Random utility
gurpscalculator.com

Magic System comparisons
http://pastebin.com/4Wk6gB2D (HTTP)

Planet and star generator:
http://higarashi.big-metto.net/upload/CeleNavigation/CelestialNavigation_x86.zip

Innate Attack Calculator, missing some modifiers:
www.sjgames.com/gameaids/gurps/g4innatecalc.html
>>
File: L6sNG6g.jpg (60 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
L6sNG6g.jpg
60 KB, 600x900
"But why GURPS?"

1) The splatbooks/worldbooks are universally written by people who know what they're talking about. The Fantasy book is written by archaeologists and historians, the Space book is written by astrophysicists, the Guns book is written by gun experts, etc. The factual mistakes are few and far between, and almost always acknowledged later. They give great advice on how to make believable worlds, how FTL affects society, how magic changes warfare, how real supernatural elements change secret societies... or how to ignore all realism and make whatever setting you want in a way that players can't take advantage of. They're great reads, even if you don't use the system.

2) GURPS has rules to handle anything. You don't need to use them all (why bother with rules for asphyxiating in a vacuum in a game about biker gangs?) but they're there. So if a game doesn't go where you expect, and your party of adventurers buy a wagon and start managing a merchant caravan company, there are books to support that style of play in a systemic way, integrated with the core rules in a way that makes sense. This also makes it great for crazy blends of game. Dungeonpunk with automatic firearms? Yes.

3) GURPS by default uses "heroic realism". This is when the odds on the heroes' sides but reality doesn't bend for them. Two bullets will knock a human unconscious (but not immediately kill him - this is fairly realistic) but hitting a moving target more than 100m away in a firefight is hard as hell. It suits games that go for a realistic or gritty feel and gives a break from the slightly cartoony damage sponges in games like D&D but can be customised with optional rules to change the feel from "Fuck You, There Are No Heroes and the World is Shit" right up to "The Heroes are Good and Always Triumph Over Evil". Incidentally, what makes it heroic realism also makes it the best game on the market to play a game about Operators Operating Operationally
>>
File: mindflayer.jpg (25 KB, 247x320) Image search: [Google]
mindflayer.jpg
25 KB, 247x320
Hey gurps general; how insidious is a linked corrosion touch attack, slapped together with leech?
>>
File: GURPS Combat 2.png (378 KB, 1860x2203) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Combat 2.png
378 KB, 1860x2203
>>43520099
Have a free pic to go with that post.
>>
>>43521710
>>
Super Secret Mega Archive:
https://mega.nz/#F!RcJUHApY!uVGhU1FAZaWQAURsfrOgyQ
>>
How would one convert the Ars Magica system of magic to GURPS?
>>
>>43523060
Never played it, but if the wikipedia article is correct, and it is noun/verb magic, then thaumatology describes something similar, so that might get you a huge chunk of the way there.
>>
Our copypasta is getting a bit long. Maybe we should check which links are no longer relevant, edit it a bit and put it in a PDF to simplify future posts?
>>
>>43524228
If so, remember to spoiler the links. I may be a little paranoid, but I'm fairly certain that being present in the OP of every GURPS general was what tipped SJG off regarding the existence of the no-longer-working repositories.
>>
If the anon that was working on making the 4mm gauss pistol in 3e Vehicles is still hanging around, I was messing around with it and some of your math seems to have been quite a bit off. Just a heads up.
>>
>>43520161
Moderately so, you'd need cyclical or something, persistant, to really make it work.

>>43523060

>>43523463 is basically correct. You just have to figure out the scopes a bit more, and staple on a bonus for knowing spells.

>>43525588
You aren't paranoid. Just weed out the bad links but don't add new ones.
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
File: 1441576726656.jpg (117 KB, 736x665) Image search: [Google]
1441576726656.jpg
117 KB, 736x665
>>43529769
>you'd need cyclical or something, persistant, to really make it work
How so? If I take the leech ability, and then a followup of a corrosive d6, the d6 hits every round I maintain contact with the Leech, right?

Or am I missing a penetrative modifier somewhere?
>>
>>43520075
You didn't enter a thread title, or post an obvious GURPS image which makes this thread a little difficult to notice. As such this thread will probably die pretty quick.
>>
I have little experience GMing GURPS. Working on a DF campaign.

1) Are there any expanded item lists? What does one use besides Basic (weapons/armor) and DF1 list ? (I've seen something artificer/scholar-related in the splats, but that surely can't be all of it?)
2) How do I determine availability of an item? There are some guidelines in DF1, does anyone use that?
3) I want to make an extensive use of books/scrolls (found in dungeons) that grant perks and skills (I think it was in the Sages book?), basically almost all power-ups from DF: Next Level, DF: Power-Ups, and also maybe Imbuements. Is it a bad idea?
>>
>>43532055
1. Check out low tech or martial arts for arms and equipment.
2. What should be available in YOUR CAMPAIGN WORLD?
3. you will find our in play, I'm sure.
>>
>>43531945
I'm sure we will survive...
>>
File: thoon_destroyer.jpg (29 KB, 254x320) Image search: [Google]
thoon_destroyer.jpg
29 KB, 254x320
I've got a new player tomorrow; IQ based and low combat skills.

Not to say he will have a hard time, but, the game started as a cyberpunk swat thing that has progressed into elder god invasion territory.

I'm going to be switching into a lower gear for a bit with the plots; delving into subfactuons and making sure the party know who is who (or at least who is openly opposing them).

I don't want to have the others feeling left out; any surefire ways of making them all feel useful? Other than the obvious "Give them all things to do suited to their characters!"
>>
>>43532137
1. I'm actually fine with Basic Set lists (and didn't Low Tech change some armor stats?), I was thinking more of potions/gadgets/traps/bombs and stuff.
2+3. Of course, I've heard this answer everywhere I ask. GURPS is a toolkit, etc. Only alienates me as a newbie GM, though.

I guess looking through some DF-related blogs won't hurt, there is so much info there that absolutely has to be in the splats.
>>
I was wondering if anybody has a copy of GURPS SWAT they'd be willing to share? Thanks.
>>
Is there a noob guide? Other than a book almost size of basic set that is.
>>
>>43536128
I would say read GURPS Lite (free) + How to be a GURPS GM - alternatively, his blog
www.themook.net/gamegeekery/series/new-to-gurps/
>>
File: Swat [Text Only].pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Swat [Text Only].pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43535136
I only have this shitty version.
>>
>>43532394
Over the course of doing INT things they find an obcure piece of lore that empowers them. Yer a wizard, Harry!
Now they use ritual magic to be useful in combat against supernatural shit (and only supernatural shit) as well as doing INT things.
>>
>>43528841

Sorry, your post was 2AM my time. Admittedly it was my first time using that system, so I likely got something wrong. Do tell!
>>
Is there a system for pricing items?
>>
>>43536447
Oooh
>powers only useful against the big bads, not people
>NOT PEOPLE
oh my god, you may have devised the gates litmus test murder hobos could ask for

>I fireball the crowd
>everyone panics and runs. One guy falls over, burning and screeching
>we shoot him a lot. In the head. We thank the public for their participation
>>
>>43530875
Ah, I thought you were doing leech followup because of the order you listed it in. Also my GMs usually make Contact Agent the default with a few ways around it.

So if we ever used it in a game we'd maldiction and cyclical and slap a chap in armor and wait.

(We were psychic vampires in space, okay?)

Also, I'm not certain how it will mix when Corrosion is the follow up, or how well you want it to mix if you're using followup.

See, follow up is that the first power/effect is the carrier for the first. So, if I'm reasoning this out right: you'd leech one HP per round, and do d6 damage--which you'd not get the leech effect from.
>>
>>43538702

Yes, it's in Basic set
>>
>>43538859
>you'd leech one HP per round, and do d6 damage--which you'd not get the leech effect from.
Yes that's the intended order, but you're assuming leech 1, instead of leech 5.
>>
How would you make a Parahuman type where women are bigger and stronger than men? What would you change in addition?
>>
>>43539094
Change nothing?
Unless on average your parahumans are different from the average human, and not merely have gender-strengths/weaknesses reversed.
>>
>>43539094
Fucking SJWs
>>
>>43539112

Thought it was as an experiment in-setting. A bunch of scientists create parahumans where strength and size difference between gender are reversed. Are then settled on a planet and observed how they develop.

Now I am unsure whether I should make more differences.
>>
If I am using spear with a staff skill, do I get +2 to parry?
>>
>>43539094
In GURPS, canonically, by the rules, the only difference between the human male and human female is that a male human has really high knockdown/shock penalties from an attack to the groin. Some settings or times have a social stigma for women like valuable property, but that is a setting by setting basis.

So, provided that a culture is completely egalitarian and socially just, then in a mechanical sense, women already have a teensy upper hand over men.

But in the spirit of your question, you could just make a template for women on this planet with a +j strength, +k health and/or a template for men that has -l strength, -m health, and in this magic realm, the male template might have a social stigma valuable property.
>>
>>43541927

Would stronger women really automatically lead to a matriarchy?
>>
>>43541790
Yes.
>>
What books would be best to simulate the kind of space combat in the game FTL: Faster Than Light? Me and my group are getting ready to run a pulp sci-fi hex crawl and we want to model space combat on that.
>>
>>43543416
I dunno, I don't think about it. Would it?
>>
File: GURPS General V01 - Copy.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS General V01 - Copy.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here's a draft of a PDF for the first post of future threads.

I've started a new MEGA archive (link in the PDF). It's got all my copies of the 4th edition books and Pyramid (missing Dungeon Fantasy Barbarians and the new Transhuman Space book). I will also add the third edition and older material from the Mediafire links and whatever else I find.

The PDF has details of the account and password, so everyone here can log on and add any books they have which aren't on there yet. I suggest that a few of you make copies of the entire folder so that it can be easily mirrored and reposted in the event it gets taken down.

I've also added a couple of links which aren't in the current copypasta and a short user guide to GCS.
>>
page 10
>>
How would you stat Ornstein and Smough in GURPS?
>>
>>43545317
Thanks, anon. Should come in handy.
I've added both the new Transhuman Space and Barbarians, but haven't changed the filenames (a bit clunky on phone).
>>
>>43548741
Pretty straightforward probably. The only tricky thing is statting weapons that have the ability to pulverize a 10 foot thick column, but take half a life bar from a player. Probably just a ton of extra striking st with accessibility only works on columns.

Give them both size modifier and extra strength + other abilities that have a trigger of when an ally dies, and similarly a kinda mucked up ability to heal to full accessibility only when an ally dies, reduced duration, only for one turn.

The rest is a straightforward exercise left for the reader.
>>
Elder gods cyberpunk gm here; ran the game with the new guy today!

Went great; introduced the psychic triple spy to the group, he got useful fast, demonstrating a diplomatic/social manipulation strategy that worked like a charm. Kept the party from having to fight two super chromed out full conversion cyborgs. They tracked down a target, beheaded him, and dumped the body without incident. They then proceeded to get drunk, and discorporate for the evening, only to have 3/4 of them turn up in the hospital in the morning for various and sundry reasons. (if someone slips you a big data disk in a crowded bar, then disappears, it is very likely a hidden explosive device. Just like it was the last time!)

But, no sanitorium yet! That's next week, where they will need to deal with multiple victims of the memetic plague, and possibly Hydra agents who don't trust them yet!
>>
>>43541147
That WOULD be interesting, because women would remain the bottleneck in reproduction.

Assuming they start as primitives?

Lots of the sexisim women faces was basically down to them being valuable property--want to reproduce, you need a woman. So they'd probably keep up the neolithic era thing of infanticide of female babies: they knew women made the babies and they also knew they couldn't support a much larger band of people, ergo keep the number of reproducers down.

So, probably something like female led households, with the males and the subordinate females being traded about, instead.

Increased reproductive rate because the women would be valuable as combatants and so once War bands became a thing they'd be of use the same way non heir sons were in our world, which means less infanticide (once agriculture is a thing). Which in turn means greater reproductive rate because more women.

Would not be surprised if there was a lot of rank culling, women would be the superior fighters and there would be the risk of over throwing. Probably anyone who they aren't 100% sure of the parentage of would be in the army on the grounds of incest being ick and the increased reproductive rate. Trading your male and female pawns it would a matter a lot on who they were related to
>>
File: GGv03.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GGv03.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43553379

Thank you very much, anon!

I edited the names to be consistent with the other file names.

I think that means the archive now has every fourth edition book published to date as well as every issue of pyramid. I'll add as many third edition books as I can find when I have the time and I have a subscription to Pyramid which I'll be sharing when they come out.

Here's a version of the new thread PDF with a front page which looks a bit closer to the real GURPS logo and stands out well in the catalog.
>>
>>43554375

In my opinion, men would still provide the majority of soldiers. One reason why men and not women fought was that men were more expendable than women.
>>
>>43554541
Looking good, anon.
>>
File: GURPS Asparagus V2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Asparagus V2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I did a thing, /gurps/.

The lenses aren't very good and the formatting is pretty awful, but that can all be fixed in v3.
>>
>>43559760
I actually just made a Psychic asparagus character about a week ago.
>>
>>43561510
How well did it do?
>>
>>43561523
We haven't had out first session yet, but he's pretty powerful just from stats wise.
>>
Remind me which page has the rule about one handing two handed swords? I remember that you need to have atleast 18 strength for that.
>>
>>43562699
B270, under strength.
>>
>>43562699
It's in the basic set, at the beginning of the equipment chapter. For weapons with † after their ST, you need ST to wield them 2H effectively, 1.5xST to wield one-handed and have it be Unready after an attack, and 2xST to wield it regularly one-handed. Big honking swords with ST 12 require ST 18 to one-hand it (but the sword becomes Unready) and ST 24 to not be slow as fuck with it.
>>
>>43562810
>>43562801
What if I wanted to dual wield two handed sword ala giant dad
>>
>>43562843
I thought Giant Dad used a stamina-boosting shield in the off-hand.

Either way, you need ST 24 to be able to use a thrusting greatsword one-handed without it becoming unready. For dual-wielding, you'd also need Off-Hand Training (Broadsword) perk or the Ambidexterity advantage to remove the off-hand penalty and train up the Dual-Weapon Attack (Broadsword) technique to you can hit with both simultaneously (you can still dual-wield without those traits, but it's hard; every action with the off-hand is at -4 without the perk/advantage and both attacks suffer a further -4 if you want to attack with both simultaneously and don't train up the technique).
>>
Never played a tabletop in my life. Mind walking me through this or simulate how a session would go (I know they're all different, but still)?
>>
>>43563682
First. Don't start with gurps. 5e would be a much better introduction to tabletops in general.
Second. If you really insist on starting with gurps, make sure your DM is as helpful as possible and takes you through everything with baby steps.
>>
>>43563721

5e is both a terrible system and even worse place to start with tabletop.
>>
>>43563746
Well our DM introduced us with 5e and due to my constant nagging that the system is too shallow and unsatisfying we moved on to gurps instead.
Now I wish we actually had idea what we were actually doing.
>>
>>43563772
>>43563746
>>43563721
>>43563682

Can we simulate it for a few post right here so I can get a feel for what's in store and since the thread is dead, anyway?
>>
>>43564343
Sure.
What is your favorite weapon?
>>
>>43564428

I'd have to say a huge warhammer. A lot bigger than Mjolnir. I guess warhammer 40k has some that?
>>
>>43564343
Hmm, if I had a site with sample combats, where would I put a link to it in this thread?
>>
>>43564552
In a post but the . like (.) ?
>>
>>43564343
Gm: this is a situation you are currently experiencing, and a certain problem is occurring.
Player: I have this certain capability and would like to use it to overcome the problem this way.
Gm: thinking about the circumstances, and combining objective measures with subjective ones, I evaluate a penalty or bonus of n is fair for this roll.
Player: I rolled a number with three dice, if it is less or equal to the goal I succeeded in overcoming this problem, otherwise the problem persists, and I need to do something.
Gm: I adjudicate that the world is changed thus, how do you respond to your new circumstances?

This continues until the players succeed, or fail beyond any chance of success usually. At the end of the session, the Gm decides to award players subjectively according to how well they sought to accomplish their goals, and how well they played out their characters stated strengths and weaknesses.

This is similar to how most table top games are, but GURPS major advantages over others is flexibility to make the parts of a game that matter mechanically intense as desired, and simplify the things that matter less. The other major advantage is that it's one rule set for any genre, setting, time period, etc, so 80% of what you learn for a space opera campaign focused on politics is applicable to a watership down campaign focused on survival or a cave man campaign focused on fighting.

A few combat examples that are considered good:
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/

Anything in specific you want to ask?
>>
>>43564632
That looks interesting, definetly gonna read through it.
Well, the only immediate question I have is about about character creation (how to), what items you can have at the start (even with a bullshit backstory "Oh my dad was the saviour of the world and he left me everything he had, you know, armour of the gods and their favour, the sword of dimensional destruction) and where do you keep that character info + how do you keep it updated (after level ups, new loot, skills, etc) beyond the "varies with the system".
>>
>>43564821
You use a marvelous tools called pencil and eraser.
>>
>>43564821
gurpscharactersheet.com

Or you know, Pen & Paper.
>>
>>43564842
>>43564883

>pen and paper
That's pretty awesome for me. I love keeping archives and doodling a bit.
>>
>>43564821
GURPS is a point buy system, meaning you are given points.. and you buy things that represent what your character is good at. For fairness, players usually start at a certain amount of points depending on how extraordinary they are. Fairly mundane people have very few points, fantasy super heroes like Conan have around 200 to 300, mythic or epic characters might be around 500, etc.

With these points you can buy attributes or secondary characteristics (stats) which cost 2 to 20 depending on the value of the stat, advantages (special privileges that let you go around the rules to perform better in certain situations) and they can have costs that very wildly from trivial 1 digit costs to moderate double digit costs, to astronomical triple digit costs; and skills which come in levels that cost 1, 2, or 4 points that let you be good at specific things.

You can also (almost always) buy disadvantages, which are weaknesses or character flaws which give you points back to invest in other areas, and the values vary as wildly as those for advantages.

All of these are tracked on a character sheet.

When numbers change, erase the old ones, write the new ones.

There are a few character sheet templates but they all have space to track inventory, stats, advantages, disadvantages, and skills, for better or worse.
>>
File: GURPSCharacterSheet-BF.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPSCharacterSheet-BF.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43565057
Also, GURPS being a point buy system, there are no "levels." you get points to invest however you want into new advantages or skills, or to "cure" yourself of disadvantages.
I attached one template for a character sheet I like because while most don't give enough spac, imo, this one gives too much, but too much is preferable to not enough.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.