[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prior Thread: >>45607748 Let's continue to play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 2
Prior Thread: >>45607748

Let's continue to play BARBARIAN PRINCE! New players welcome to contribute, just jump right in!

Approximately every 10 minutes, I will post an update. I will also ask for a next action to take, and/or a die roll. The first reply that makes sense for the situation (making it clear that you read the latest update) and provides ALL the requested info, will be used to determine the next update. Feel free to post relevant images.

At the start of each day, one primary goal/action for your party is decided. Possible actions you may take include:
• Travel to a new hex (the most common action)
• Rest in current hex, to heal wounds and improve hunting
• Create a cache of items, or search for a previously placed cache
• Seek news and information (in a town, castle, or temple)
• Seek to hire followers (in a town or castle)
• Seek an audience with the local lord (in a town, castle or temple)
• Submit an offering (at a temple)
• Search ruins (in a ruin)

Other actions may become available randomly, or depending on how events play out.

Full rules are available here if you want, but shouldn't be necessary for this thread: http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_barbarianprince.html
>>
Depending on the action selected for each day, different potential events may occur. Or maybe nothing will occur that day. Many events may lead to fighting. You may also have additional characters join your party. These characters will make fighting much less risky, and some may have special knowledge or abilities useful in various other events. Magicians, wizards, witches, priests and monks are especially desirable companions.

After all events (if any) are resolved for the day, your party must then eat their main meal. If you have food stores, those can be used if desired. Otherwise daily food costs 1 gold coin per party member. If in a town, castle, or temple, you must also purchase lodging. Again, this costs 1 gold per character. Horses, etc. can be both stabled and fed for just 1 gold per mount. If you can’t pay for food and/or meals, that’s okay. However you won’t heal well and will eventually lose endurance.

This ends the day. The next day then begins, and a new action is chosen. The game continues until either the barbarian prince is killed, or 70 days (10 weeks) elapse. If the game is not won after 70 days, it is automatically lost!
>>
Current situation:

>You have discovered a hidden elven fortress within the forest to the southwest of Cumry. Thankfully, they have decided to not kill you and provided you with a bed and food for the night.

You may treat this hex as a castle, and may do any sort of action one would be allowed to do in a castle. Anyone hired here will be an elf. you may stay here as long as you wish, but once you leave the elves would not be happy to see you return.

>Location: 0805, Week: 5, Day: 5
>Combat: 8, Endurance: 8/9, Wits: 5, Wealth: 0
>Food: 9
>>
Seek news and information
>>
Sorry for the delay. My brother locked his keys in his car and we had to break in. :P

>>45629246
Okay, but please make a 2d6 roll for all actions.
>>
Rolled 1, 4 = 5 (2d6)

>>
>You don't learn anything of particular importance, but you do get a good idea of the general layout of the castle, who the major authorities are, and in general how this place works.
>You also discover an inn of sorts, which will feed or shelter you for only half a gold piece per person.
>Unfortunately, you don't have any money...
>You spend the night huddled in your cloak under a tree. At least you still have some food in your pouches to eat.

A new day dawns:
>Location: 0805, Week: 5, Day: 6
>Food: 8
>>
FYI, I forgot to mention, but the above result means you get a bonus to additional rolls made to gather information or hire people in this hex.
>>
>>45629822

Seek news and information, since I have a plus 1.
>>
Rolled 2, 5 = 7 (2d6)

>>45629892
Sure thing. I will make the roll here, but please remember to roll 2d6 when you do anything. It won't always matter what you roll, but it saves time.
>>
>As you wander around the fortress for a second day, you get assaulted by a cutpurse!
>Unfortunately for them, you were a pauper and had no gold for them to steal.
>And unfortunately for you, they made off with half of your food!
>You once again spend the night huddled in the cold outdoors.
>Bah! Elves!

A new day dawns:
>Location: 0805, Week: 5, Day: 7
>Food: 3
>>
dice+2d6

>>45630012

Seek news and information, again.
>>
Rolled 1, 3 = 4 (2d6)

>>45630027

Ops, I forgot that the Email field is now the "Options" field.
>>
>>45630012
In what Hex are we?
>>
>You meet a traveling priest and chat with her.
>She is on a spiritual journey for enlightenment, and isn't interested in joining anyone.
>She does teach you a special prayer however, and tells you it will provide you with favor to the gods if you use the prayer when making an offering at Donat's Temple (hex 1309).

>You don't discover anything else this day, but at this point have become extremely knowledgeable about the fortress and its inhabitants.

Future rolls to gather info or hire people in this hex get +2! (This increases the range of possible outcomes. If any are negative outcomes, then the best one will be selected. If they are all bad...well then.)

A new day dawns:
>Location: 0805, Week: 6, Day: 1
>Food: 2

Your time is half up! If you don't return to the northlands kingdom with at least 500 gold or an army within the next 5 weeks, your homeland will be lost forever.

>>45630070
Hex 0805, an area of forest two spaces to the southwest of Cumry.
>>
Rolled 1, 6 = 7 (2d6)

>>45630186
Let's travel to Donat's Temple then.

Move to Hex 0906.
>>
>You bid your elven hosts farewell, and make good travel time.
>You find your way out of the forest easily.
>Before camping for the night, you are able to snare a few small birds and eat well.

A new day dawns:
>Location: 0906, Week: 6, Day: 2
>Food: 6
>>
Rolled 6, 2 = 8 (2d6)

>>45630470
Fuck that noise, we going to the Ruins.
>>
Rolled 4, 1 = 5 (2d6)

>>45630470

Move to 0907, crossing the river.
>>
>>45630506
Damn son, I wanna be blessed'n'shit
>>
Hm. Well, the ruins are closer. And just because you'll have a bonus to the roll at the temple doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get a good result.

Anyone else care to chime in?
>>
>>45630521
>implying you won't get a shit roll and be cursed instead
>>
>>45630547
Ok, ok, let's go to the ruins. But it will be trouble I tells ya
>>
>>45630563
>implying we'll even survive the trip
We're gonna die out here.
>>
Very well. To the ruins!

>You travel quietly a few days, making good time, avoiding trouble, and finding plenty to eat.

A new day dawns:
>Location: 0606, Week: 6, Day: 3
>Food: 9
>>
Rolled 2, 5 = 7 (2d6)

>>45630588
Move to 0705
>>
>>45630588
Is 606 right? I thought we were at 905 going to 805
>>
Location is 0606. I moved twice.

Please choose again.
>>
Rolled 2, 6 = 8 (2d6)

>>45630671
Move to 0507
>>
>The forest proves quite the challenge to navigate, as for several days you wander and get turned around.
>On the third day, heavy driving rains beat down and prevent you from doing much.
>At least you don't catch pneumonia.
>Finally, you make your way out of the woods and into the open.
>Despite the delay, you can at least be grateful nothing tried to eat you.
>Plus, your pouches are nearly bursting with tubers and squirrel jerky!

You sleep. A new day dawns:
>Location: 0507, Week: 6, Day: 6
>Food: 18
>>
Rolled 1, 4 = 5 (2d6)

>>45630742
>>
>The next day, you advance into some hilly terrain.
>Other than finally filling up your packs with food, there are no events.

You sleep. A new day dawns:
>Location: 0507, Week: 6, Day: 7
>Food: 20
You have reached your maximum carrying capacity.
>>
Rolled 5, 3 = 8 (2d6)

>>45630810
Move to 0306
>>
>It takes a couple days to make it through the hills.
>Arriving into the desert, you realize it will be impossible to effectively hunt and gather here.
>Good thing you have a large store of food saved up.

You sleep.
A new day dawns:
>Location: 0306, Week: 7, Day: 2
>Food: 19
>>
Rolled 3, 1 = 4 (2d6)

>>45630863
Time for death!
>>
>Amazingly, you are able to find the rumored ancient ruins the very next day!
>The sun sets as you arrive however, and you wisely decide to wait until morning to explore further.
>You saw a large lizard-like creature on the horizon earlier today, and carefully avoided its notice.
>Otherwise though, nothing edible revealed itself.

You sleep.
A new day dawns:
>Location: 0206, Week: 7, Day: 3
>Food: 18

Shall you risk your life today? :)
>>
Rolled 6, 3 = 9 (2d6)

>>45630933
Search ruins

Let's do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-YCtdu7gAM
>>
>You delve into the ruins...

>Boy, these things are old and unstable...
>No! The ceiling starts to drop rubble and threatens to drop down upon you!

Roll 1d6 to see how many wounds you take.
Then roll 2d6 if you wish to continue searching the ruins.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d6)

>>45631027

Niggurd, im searching this ruins.
>>
>Combat: 8, Endurance: 5/9, Wits: 5, Wealth: 0
>>
>A large brick from the roof bashes you against the head!
>It is a glancing blow; you will live.
>But damn, that really hurt...

Please roll 2d6 to continue searching the ruins.
>>
>>45630971

>having to disable comments because "anti-European" commenters hurt your fee-fees

I guess neo-Pagans are a lot alike no matter what continent they're from.
>>
>>45631080
Lol. At least the music was pleasant.
>>
Rolled 5, 1 = 6 (2d6)

>>45631078

Yeah, let's do this!
>>
>>45631091

>rolled a 6

Oh man, these ruins are gonna kill us, huh?
>>
YOU FIND A MOTHERFUCKING TREASURE CHEST!!!

Roll 1d6 to see what it holds!
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>45631115
>>
>>45631080
Yeah, I wasnt really paying attention to the comments tho, just the music.
>>
>Hmm..
>Being wise and cautious, you discover the treasure chest is trapped!

If you wish to try and disable the trap, roll 1d6. As long as you roll your wits or less (5) you will succeed. But rolling over your wits (in this case, just a 6) will result in your accidentally setting off the trap.

If you don't want to risk it, you can just leave the ruin. (Ha. Fat chance of that. But I thought I may as well offer the option.)
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>45631160

Disable the trap.
>>
>>45631137

Yeah, music was cool, even if the guy who posted it is a bit of a doof.

>>45631115
>>45631172

Heck yeah, things are looking up for once!
>>
>>45631172
Woot! Very close, but success!

>Carefully cutting a suspcious wire with the tip of your sword, you then slowly open the lid of the treasure chest.
>You notice a spring-loaded needle, with a release latch that your cut string would have unleashed. Chances are, the needle would have poisoned you.
>Within the chest you find 65 gold pieces! Huzzah!
>You carefully explore the rest of the ruin, then make your way back to the surface as night falls.

You sleep.
A new day dawns:
>Location: 0206, Week: 7, Day: 4
>Combat: 8, Endurance: 8/9, Wits: 5, Wealth: 65
>Food: 17
>>
Oops. Made a mistake. Your endurance is only 5/9 since the ceiling fell on your head.
>>
Rolled 3, 4 = 7 (2d6)

>>45631226

Follow the road down to Anglae, 0208. We can't get lost on the road. We should buy a horse so we can travel faster, too.
>>
>>45631261

Typo, 0207. 0208 is next.
>>
Rolled 4, 4 = 8 (2d6)

>>45631226
More exploration!
>>
>>45631271

We could do more exploration, but you can take 1d6 damage from a blow, and we're down to five HP. We could get instakilled.
>>
Rolled 2, 2 = 4 (2d6)

>>45631324
Then we can rest up, then continue exploring.
>>
>>45631271
Ah, sorry. I've already said this ruin is searched out. Yeah, normally you could by the rules, but the GM says no. :)

>You head south and quickly find a road, making travel much easier.
>No unusual events occur, and you stuff your pouches full of edibles again.

>At the end of the third day of travel, just as you are about to enter the town of Angleae, you meet a man on the road sitting atop a horse.
>He appears to be a swordsman (combat skill 6, endurance 6, wealth 7).
>He watches you approach with much interest.

You can speak with him, attempt to avoid/run from him, or attack him.

Make your choice and roll 1d6 to see how well you succeed.
>>
Rolled 2, 4 = 6 (2d6)

>>45631363

A horse and some cash would be nice to take, but let's talk to him.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d6)

>>45631363
Kill him and take his shit.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>45631363
>>45631373
Speak
>>
Hm. How shall I resolve this?

>>45631381
Are you really willing to risk death for a horse and an average of 7 gold pieces?

Sometimes you can get lucky, but in the vast majority of cases a character's wealth just represents the average amount of gold they have.
>>
>>45631381

Yeah, on second thought, I say we just take his shit.
>>
>>45631420
Nothing ventured nothing gained.
>>
>>45631406

Well, now it's two for fighting and one for talking.

>>45631420

We haven't had a stand up fight so far, it would be fun to get one in.
>>
>>45631420
We're on week 7 1/2 of 10, and all we got is 65 gold.
Pretty sure at this point we've written off 'winning' or just doing as much shit as we can.
>>
>>45631373
>>45631406

Ah. This may be a deceitful double-vote, but I guess I'll just accept this.

No, wait...

>>45631428>
Well damn. Now I don't know what to do.

>>45631438
>>45631465
Okay, you've convinced me!

>Before the swordsman has a chance to react, you draw your weapon and leap upon him, getting the first strike!

Everyone roll me some 2d6 results!
>>
Rolled 4, 1 = 5 (2d6)

>>45631476
Show me those 6s!
>>
Rolled 4 (1d6)

>>45631465
Fair point switching my vote>>45631406

Gib this mofo>>45631363
>>
Rolled 4, 1 = 5 (2d6)

>>45631476
We suck at everything
>>
>>45631507

I know, the dice hate us. We rolled 12 on 2d6 for a hunting mishap twice in like the first three days, at a ~2.7% chance each time. And then again on like day nine.
>>
>PRINCE: Combat skill 8, Endurance: 5/9
>SWORDSMAN: Combat skill 6, Endurance 6

>>45631490
Round 1: both sides miss

>>45631494
Round 2: both sides miss

>>45631507
Round 3: the prince misses, but the swordsman gets a minor hit, causing 1 wound

Hm. I'm hiding a fair amount of the math here, and making rolls myself for the swordsman. But yeah, damn, the dice are hating tonight.

In combat, higher rolls are usually better, by the way.

And, now that the prince has lost more than half his endurance, he gets -2 in combat...

>PRINCE: Combat skill 8, Endurance: 4/9
>SWORDSMAN: Combat skill 6, Endurance 6
>>
Rolled 2, 3 = 5 (2d6)

>>45631553
For whom doth the bell toll?
>>
Rolled 5, 1 = 6 (2d6)

>>45631553

Let's smoke his ass, Gods of dice dont betray me.
>>
Rolled 5, 3 = 8 (2d6)

>>45631553
>get high rolls when they are bad
>get low rolls when high is good
And this is where we die, but some punk on the road. Figured it'd be the gopher holes honestly.
>>
Rolled 3, 6 = 9 (2d6)

>>45631553
Smash
>>
>>45631566
Round 4: the prince cuts his foe for 1 wound, while the swordsman misses.

>>45631572
Round 5: both sides miss

>>45631576
Round 6: the prince gets another 1 point hit! the swordsman misses again.

>>45631585
Round 7: the prince hits for 2 damage! But the swordsman also cuts the prince for 1 damage.

>PRINCE: Combat skill 8, Endurance: 3/9
>SWORDSMAN: Combat skill 6, Endurance 3/6
>>
Ooops. Cannot math.

Swordsman has only 2/6 endurance left.
>>
Rolled 4, 6 = 10 (2d6)

>>45631608
End this
>>
Rolled 6, 3 = 9 (2d6)

>>45631608
RULES OF NATURE
>>
>>45631714
Round 8: Prince does 2 wounds, killing the swordsman!!

Unfortunately, the prince isn't looking so hot himself...

But now he has a horse! And in the swordsman pockets, you find...6 gold.

You stumble into town, rent a room and a stable for the steed, and fall into a well deserved sleep.

>Location: 0109 (Angleae), Week: 7, Day: 7
>Combat: 8, Endurance: 8/9, Wits: 5, Wealth: 69
>Food: 19

Whelp, that's all for me tonight guys and gals. Great job! If anyone has the rules and wishes to take over from here, be my guest. But otherwise, I'll jump back on tomorrow night (maybe in 18 or 19 hours from now) to continue.
>>
GAH! Got the math wrong again.
Prince has only 3/9 endurance.
>>
>>45631766
Maybe the horse is worth shit at least. Oh well, beats falling in gopher holes at least.
>>
>>45631868

Looking at the rules, the downside to a horse is it costs 1 gp a day to feed in town, or 2 food units (2 gp worth) if you feed it from your own food stores like in a desert or something, but if you're in a non-town hex with forage (grass or whatever), it eats for free, so it's not that big a deal.
The advantage to a horse is that you can then move two hexes in a single day, which saves you a ton of time. It can also carry another 10 load, doubling your carrying capacity versus being on foot.

(Actually by RAW, we shouldn't be able to hold more than 10 food on foot, 9 if we're also carrying close to 100 coins, which is 1 weight in itself. We've got 20 load right now, which means we need a horse to carry half, and will need to hire a dude to carry any more than that. )
>>
This seems to be a nice game, thanks for playing it.
>>
Bimpenstein, want to see this keep going
>>
>>45635027

We're waiting for OP to return tonight. Still, can't hurt to keep this thread up so folks can see it and know that part three is coming.
>>
>>45637197
>We're waiting for OP to return tonight.
Yeah, I know. There just doesn't seem to be any point in forcing him to make a new thread when using this one would keep continuity better.
>>
I've been reviewing the rules.

I think our best shot at this late point in the game is to seek some more information for a bit (hoping for another +1 to temple offerings), then visit a temple with whatever gold we have, maybe visit the priest and hope for him to help us with the offerings, and try to get a 14 or higher on the offering roll, then run for the north.
With only three weeks left, and not even a tenth of the gold we need, divine intervention is probably our only hope.

We've got a +1 on one specific temple already, if we spend 10 gold for another, and we're lucky enough that the high priest helps us, that's a +4. You can stack it even higher, but we'd need to find more secrets and things.
Still, while it's literally a "Hail Mary" move, it could work.
>>
>>45639372
Donat's Temple (hex 1309) is 12 hex away, but a river and at least two difficult terrains must be crossed. From there north there are 8 hexes (more if we take an easier route), so it's at least 10 days spent traveling, probably more, so at most 11 other actions (probably less).

There is another temple near the way to Donat's Temple, Branwyn's Temple (hex 0711).
>>
>>45640507
*at most 11 other actions are left (probably less).
>>
>>45640507

Damn, this game needs an easier time limit, 70 days is just not enough.
>>
>>45640567
Well, we did spend 14 days in jail.
>>
>>45640993
Guess what I would do if we managed to get the kingdom back? Time to say hello to Cumry. With the army.
>>
>>45640567
It's not so much that, it's that part of the challenge of the game is figuring out stuff like that you need to get a horse ASAP. It's part of what makes for replayability in this type of solo game.
>>
>>45629148
How much's a physical copy of this game usually go for, anyway? Boardgamegeek's down, so can't check the obvious place.
>>
Bampity-bimp
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.