[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: 1468158808429.jpg (36 KB, 690x431) Image search: [Google]
1468158808429.jpg
36 KB, 690x431
Punished Jaina edition

Discuss the ore and viability of the Warcraft universe in tabletop.
old.
>>48215453
>>
>>48260719
not really, the planet got torn apart when too many portals opened and ner'zhul and a few of his top ranking shamans managed to escape before being caught by the legion.
>>
>>48260768
>>48260682
meant to link to this
>>
>>48260768
Alleria and Turyalon got out that way too
>>
File: 175360.jpg (68 KB, 518x522) Image search: [Google]
175360.jpg
68 KB, 518x522
>>48260715
>Discuss the ore

Thorium ore best ore.
>>
>>48260859
that's not Saronite
>>
What RPGs do you guys actually play with this Warcraft lore?
>>
>>48260859
>Grinding for arcane crystals.
Vanilla was like an abusive boyfriend.
>>
>>48260859
>not truesilver.
arcanite is best bar.

>>48260897
5e
>>
File: 1464806349252.png (260 KB, 484x605) Image search: [Google]
1464806349252.png
260 KB, 484x605
>>48260897
Blizzard games
>>
>>48260897
from the previous thread

Any flavour of D&D will probably handle Warcraft decently, including older editions. You might have to do some spell list trimming.

The other recommendation would be Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e for more of a high tension sort of game with an emphasis on magical corruption (you may want to borrow some of the magic mechanics from Dark Heresy as well for further on that end). You'd probably start characters with a larger chunk of XP or at least start them in relatively more useful careers, though.

Runequest 6 is another d100 system that also runs fantasy settings very well if you want to avoid the grim-darkness of 40k or the assorted D&D legacy baggage (ex. Vancian magic).

There's also the classic list of generics - FATE for games focused on narrative control and intra-party character roleplaying, or GURPS for a crunchy experience with a splat for everything.
>>
>>48260956
>RPG
>>
>>48260933
>Over 300 dense stone.
>Over 200 thorium ore.
>Total of 9 arcane crystals.
At least it wasn't as bad as Ragnarok.
>>
>>48260768
Ner'zhul got caught by demons and turned into the Lich King. The original liches were made from his shamans and warlocks (WC3 manual)
>>
I think it's fucking hilarious how the naaru say we were bad for killing Illidan in BC, when it was Naaru that were leading us against him.
>>
>>48261080
Do the naaru actually put the blame on us or is it a case of them realizing too late that there was more to the situation than they thought?

Since naaru aren't omniscient. But if they're going to say it's my fault for putting down a half-demon and his demon and fel-corrupted henchmen when there's a Naaru standing right outside giving the okay, I'm calling up the belfs and letting them chain up on of the pricks again.
>>
>>48261028
yep, which is why they could manipulate the cold winds of northrend so easily. They were all shamans or had been. I like to believe that Ner'zhul's clique were primarily dark shamans while Gul'dan's followers were warlocks, that also explains the low amount of DKs.

Although, the question arises, if the LK originally had orc shamans made into liches, why do they look so human?
>>
>>48261149
>if the LK originally had orc shamans made into liches, why do they look so human?
they all clearly have orcish skulls though, even Kel'thuzad
>>
File: Kel'Thuzad3.jpg (156 KB, 1239x1200) Image search: [Google]
Kel'Thuzad3.jpg
156 KB, 1239x1200
>>48261149
>look so human?
Even Kel looks kinda orc-y, and he WAS human!
>>
File: rich-elementium-vein.jpg (103 KB, 498x826) Image search: [Google]
rich-elementium-vein.jpg
103 KB, 498x826
>>48260859
>>48260885
>>48260952

I know it's from a shit expansion, but Elementium Ore just looks so goddamn shiny and smooth.
>>
>>48261171
I'm more interested in where did the "king Tut" pseudo-egyptian motive came from
>>
>>48261168
>>48261171
I was thinking of the ingame lich model. I totally forgot that was a thing.
Although that surely cannot be ke;'thuzad.
>>
>>48261149
I think most of the original liches died on the slopes of Hyjal. By the time WoW rolls around the Scourge has created more liches from the elven and human stock within the Cult of the Damned- see Ras Frostwhisper, Araj the Summoner, Amnenar the Coldbringer are all human.

>>48261168
>>48261171
Kel'Thuzad is a special case because he was ressurected with the power of the Sunwell wich made him an Archlich. I always atributed to his exagerated features. In adition to tusks he also has hornes wich other liches have incorporated into their headdresses.
>>
>>48261347
Nerubians.
>>
>>48261347
That was most likely borrowed from the nerubians
>>
>>48261345
Cata had so much potential. What makes it bad is that blizzard destroyed the old world to show off their phasing tech.

>>48261347
blizzard was probably "creatively inspired" by GW.
>>
File: Kel'Thuzad2.jpg (260 KB, 785x1100) Image search: [Google]
Kel'Thuzad2.jpg
260 KB, 785x1100
>>48261354
>>48261368
>>
>>48261347
everything the Scourge makes is either a repurposed Nerubian artifact or a giant Helm of Domination
>>
File: Incendicite.jpg (20 KB, 252x300) Image search: [Google]
Incendicite.jpg
20 KB, 252x300
>>48261345
Incendicite looks smoking hot
>>
>>48261392
ok I take that back. Maybe Kel'thuzad was double dipping into fel.
>>
>>48261389
>Cata had so much potential. What makes it bad is that blizzard destroyed the old world to show off their phasing tech.
also, the fact that every fucking new quest was a shitty reference to something
#freeWestfall
>>
File: Kel'Thuzad.jpg (202 KB, 465x961) Image search: [Google]
Kel'Thuzad.jpg
202 KB, 465x961
>>48261406
And yet he's still such a great guy. Once you get past the necromancy and serving the Lich King, of course.
>>
>>48261374
>>48261376
>>48261402

Duh. You're right. I was connecting egyptian look with Tol'vir and forgot about spider mummies.
>>
>>48261438
>Kel'thuzad has the Cult of the Damned infiltrate and support DEHTA because killing hunters means people become more reliant on grain, and animals make shitty undead minions anyway
>>
>>48261405
>literally unused
>cata even makes it unminable.
>>48261425
>the most tranquil and peaceful zone in Warcraft becomes a goblin racetrack
fuck you blizzard.
>>48261484
The funniest thing is, Nerubians didn't have pyramids, they had ziggurats.
>>
>>48261438
Hes my favorite warcraft character and one of my favorite characters of all times. KT's voice is also sexy as fuck

I want him to show up in legion so bad
>>
>>48261509
>KT's voice is also sexy as fuck
WoW expansion where Michael McConnohie voices everyone instead of just the villains when
>>
>>48261500
The pyramids Egypt is famous for aren't the only kind they had; earlier models looked more like the Nerubian pyramids in WC3-- except less black and gothic, of course.
>>
>>48260959
How strong are player characters in Runequest?
>>
>>48260897
> Thinking that people actually do this and that it isn't an attempt to avoid the shit posting on /v/.

I mean, what, is the "amazing storyline" why you want to play WoW on the tabletop?
>>
>>48260959
Would Fantasycraft work as well?
>>
>>48261787
FC would be ideal, I think. The way origins work makes home-brewing species pretty easy for capturing your iconic Warcraft races that dnd doesn't have by default. Martial types being useful is also a bonus.
>>
File: Outland Campaign Map.png (1 MB, 1466x1150) Image search: [Google]
Outland Campaign Map.png
1 MB, 1466x1150
>>48260897
4e, mostly due to accessibility. I have all the books, my players already know it, and I have a fetish for grid squares. No, not literally.

Couple of my regulars are huge lore buffs, so I figured I'd use the alt universe excuse to throw some curve balls at them. Most of the lore cuts close to canon, but the details differ enough that meta knowledge wouldn't spoil all the plot threads.
>>
post your jaina pics.
>>
>>48261509
That sounds logical.
>>
>>48261911
>ruins of Skyreach
I approve, they were the best thing about WoD
>>
>>48262302
>all the arakkoa lands just broke up and drifted away.
bravo orcs.
>>
>>48261500
>literally unused
>cata even makes it unminable.

Haven't been there since cata, but I remember digging it with my dorf waaaaay back
>>
>>48261509
My favorite voice is Prince Shaffar from Mana Tombs
>>
>>48262413
yeah. I spent half a day there charging people 3 silver per quest and made enough money to level up my engineering skills on my hunter.

>>48262460
they are the same VA?
>>
Why doesn't Blizzard ever go back to Outland for new stuff?
>>
>>48262480
They are? Huh... I guess it's been too long and KT's filter made them sound different.
>>
>>48262623
I'm hoping for some Illidan related stuff to take us back to Shadowmoon Valley in Legion.
>>
>>48262623
Someday, I hope for a future where mmo's can reliably go back and update their old content so you don't deal with crazy backlash like that.
>>
Say, if i might ask. Is there any reason why this thread is on /tg/ and not on a video game board?
>>
>>48262623
I hope so. It may just be nostalgia talking, but I love the floating planet shard in space concept. I even fluffed that my army in Age of Sigmar made their home on an object similar to Outland.
>>
>>48262623
I want a raid that starts through one of the other old legion portals.

I want a raid to kill the snake thing in Zul'Drak that you see in the 5man.
>>
>>48262962
Wasn't Gundrak gonna have a raid? And King Ymiron was going to be a raid originally.
>>
>>48262962
>>48263012
Wrath's troll raid (along with most of Azol'nerub) was cut to free up devs to work on Titan

if only Overwatch was good enough to make it worth killing Anub'arak in a 5 man
>>
>>48263037
truth
>>
>>48263037
They started working on it that long ago?
>overwatch is what came out of it
only blizzard could survive this
>>
>>48262408
Who knows, maybe that chunk of land is drifting around the Nether somewhere. Maybe the Arakkoa uncover enough Apexis technology to turn it into a giant space fortress armed with lasers of glorious incandescence.
>>
>>48263037
>Azjol'nerub was cut because resources were allocated to something that went fucking nowhere despite unlimited money and veterans working on it.

If Titan didn't ever have a chance to exist, how different would WoW be?
>>
>>48263099
Well... given that we've got Cata after Wrath...

I'd say much better
>>
>>48262855

The dream of a playable WoW TRPG system or setting burns bright. But it shall always be a false light.
>>
>>48263099
>If Titan didn't ever have a chance to exist, how different would WoW be?
Wrath would have had an extra raid tier or two and be unequivocally considered one of the greatest video game expansion packs of all time
>>
So how many of you RP on WoW?
How do you do it?
I've always been super nervous even though I play a ton of TTRPGS.
>>
File: 746px-Invisibility_TCG.jpg (140 KB, 746x600) Image search: [Google]
746px-Invisibility_TCG.jpg
140 KB, 746x600
>>48263327
I usually RP on Private Servers. Sadly, which each server, they have different extremes of problems that are so extremely polarizing.

I was previously a staff member on an up and coming server, but the flippant management of the head admin led to the server biting the dust.
>>
>>48260715

Jesus Christ, there better be more of OP's pic.
>>
File: Deathwing vs Sindragosa.jpg (548 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Deathwing vs Sindragosa.jpg
548 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>48263290
I guess. Still, surprised the mods don't consider this thread off topic.
>>
>>48263327
I started playing retail again just for RP. I don't really give a damn about PvE (then again I never did, even when I played from 2005-2012) and my only pvp buddy left in 2012. It's weird, I RP a sindorei blood knight but they way things are going, I might end up falling in with a tauren tribe. I was just sick of standing around in Silvermoon's Royal Exchange gossiping over mundane things like nothing's changed since BC. My character can't be standing around when there is hellspawn to be slain and innocents to rescue.

But yeah, even before I found about RP, I cared more about exploring the world and the lore which is most likely how I got into it.

>>48263396
I liked doing RP on private servers, especially on vanilla servers because RPing a character where everything is so new is so god-tier. No super power "veterans" because they did in-game content from previous expansions, everyone is an up-and-coming adventurer trying to find their place in the world and their faction.
It just sucks that populations are so low the communities are really small and people still think griefing RPers is funny.
>>
>>48263483
they don't seem to care as long as we behave, these threads had a long run a few months ago too
>>
>>48263520
Well. That's nice to hear. Always good to have a place to complain about blizza- i mean discuss Warcraft lore.
>>
>>48263515
I have no idea where to start with WoW RP.
>>
>>48263593
pretty much. I genuinely enjoy the Warcraft setting, but talking about it anywhere on 4chan other than /tg/ makes me want to shoot myself. I've only seen the mods here intervene if OP doesn't mention TTRPGs or if someone takes Garithosposting too far and starts shitting things up
>>
>>48263687
Well, if you're non-EU best place for Horde is Wyrmrest Accord. Get an idea of what type of character you want to play and what race would fit that best. Hell, even the race bit doesn't matter too much. I always decide my character's age, and get an idea of what he would've experienced by then.

Don't be afraid to walk up to people and just start talking. If you have Total RP, MRP, or some other equivalent mod, you'll notice that everyone has notices that say "walks up are welcome" or something to that effect. Don't be intimidated if they don't respond, because there's a good chance they're thinking how their character would respond, and they're typing it out.

As far as lore, read up on wowpedia to catch up, and decide what your character ought to know. I like to pretend that quest knowledge does not also have to mean what my pc knows in-character. So even though the Forsaken had those plague wagons and plague testing quests all over the place, my blood elf didn't know the plague existed until the Wrathgate, and even then he's still sure Sylvanas wasn't involved in it personally. Stuff like that, so sorry if it seems a bit rambling.
>>
>>48263784
>and even then he's still sure Sylvanas wasn't involved in it personally.
because she wasn't, right?
>>
>>48263327
Whats it like to RP on one of the dead RP servers? Or to have RP'd there and watched it die?
>>
>>48263791
I mean to say, that my character believes there was no conclusive proof in proving that she was responsible for ordering it's creation. And that it was all on the fault of the demon rumored to be her majordomo.
>>
>>48263772
What makes it so bad to discuss Warcraft lore outside of /tg/?
>>
>>48263848
Blizzard makes large sections of /v/'s ass hurt, and the people that actually like WoW are autists that just want to cry about how the game is ruined because of X reason
>>
>>48263793
I'm writing this as I sit on my porcelain throne, to once again announce that I as a WoW rper truly enjoy it. Horde or alliance comes down to if you want to play a belf or not. Being a devout elf fan boy turned garithos, I can say I've experienced both sides, and they have their differences

It's not all tumblrinas and Druid ERP, but I'd be more than willing to explain more if anyone's interested

Btw WrA is best server
>>
>>48263327
I don't play WoW anymore, and although I've played on RP server, I actually wasn't RPing that much. However, I've spent years before that on a private RP server (TBC when I started, WotLK when I left as a player/got kicked as a GM).

In original incarnation, server had about 200 players online at peak, Blizzlike PvP and PvE (complete TBC, WotLK up to Ulduar) with great RP support... GM's helping with events (adventures are much better if you can call a GM to spawn some NPCs to kill and even play a boss), custom player housing, player-run kingdoms, custom items (both RP things like food and stat-less stuff with unique skins and pseudo-transmog befora that was a thing on official servers).

After few years, pop went down to about 70-100 people online at peak, and admin decided to join forces with 3 other servers (1 RP, 1 not RP, but with a small RP population, 1 pure PvE/P). Population went up to about 600 players, but both RP and functionality took a hit... some RP stuff stopped working, part of the RP populace left in disgust at PvP players, and core and database merge was a distaster. Still, things went moderately well for few years, but population went down to about 250 players.

Then came the second merge, this time with much bigger server. Admin and players were dicks and seemed to hate very idea of RP, overall functionality was meh. Lots of unfulfilled promises both before merge and after it. Admin was more interested in censoring and banning anyone who dared to say something and warring with a competing server than actually running things. More roleplayers left, admin kicked almost every GM from the RP server. I stopped playing, heard that admin eventualy resigned, but while the new admin was great, he got a control of a server which went from 1200+ to 100 player tops in year and half.

Yes, I'm still bitter even if it's been 3 years... original server was awesome. At least I've kept contact with some of the players... in fact, I play D&D with them
>>
>>48263793
Now dead RP servers? Shit man it's like second life

People don't even use lore, they just RP as anime characters some times, it's beyond creepy

The type of people there too, it's like stumbling upon an inbred tribe of hicks that haven't seen an outsider for since their server launched a decade ago
>>
How the fuck am I supposedly to get into the lore of Warcraft? everything past lich King is a clusterfuck of a bloody mess
>>
>>48263327
Another WrA fag here. Experience as Belfs, nearly any class. It can get boring unless you really want to take part in the community, or atleast put forth some enthusiasm.
>>
>>48263687
Step 1: Character race & class
Or
Step 1: Character concept
2: Wowpedia. This is a must, read up about your race's history and stereotypes.
3: Try to create something thats interesting but also sits within the bounds of the bullshit that is lore
4: Get wow addons such as Gryphonheart Items and Total RP 3. The first allows the creation of in game items for use by characters with the mod, e.g. instruments, drugs, drinks, books, etc.
5: Log on and ask for help, we all fall on our faces the first time, ask for someone to help you understand why
>>
>>48264022
Nobbel87's Youtube videos or randomly looking stuff up on WoWpedia
>>
>>48260933
>partook in that three times to help guildies get their Thunderfuries
>now I'm working on getting my own nearly 12 years later
>the ore is the easy part this time
Fuck you Garr. Drop your fucking half of the prison. Fucking Geddon's has dropped 4 times.
>>
>>48264103
I've always been meaning to ask, why do people recommend wowpedia over wowwiki? Did something happen to the latter?
>>
Wowpedia's timeline. Look at that, and read about the major events.
>>
>>48264168
Wowwiki is a clusterfuck that regular peeps with no knowledge tend to edit.

Its not managed as a site, and its quite run down. It has lots of innacuracies as many of its writers were, well, writers. They kind of tended to write things that portrayed their favored groups in positive light.

Its kind of like what your high school teachers thought wikipedia was like.
>>
>>48264168
WoWWiki is outdated as fuck and missing pretty much everything post-cata
>>
File: gul'dan.jpg (47 KB, 504x640) Image search: [Google]
gul'dan.jpg
47 KB, 504x640
>>48259077
>when Metzen was still metal

I feel this statement describes most of what has changed about the Warcraft setting. A lot of the heavy/power metal feel has been drained out of it over the years.
>>
>>48264530
it's partially the nature of turning an RTS into an RPG too. When all you see are the armies, everything can be metal, but in an RPG where you have to start off at level 1 shoveling shit for nickels, it's harder for everything to be badass
>>
>>48264610
>humans are stopping a conspiracy by a dragon to overthrow the last kingdom
>dwarves are dealing with Dark Iron terrorists while uncovering their ancestry
>nelves are discovering just how deep the rabbit hole goes with cultists and demons
>orcs have to deal with their fall from grace and newfound freedom by purging demon worshipers and then demons themselves
>tauren are trying to take back their land from encroaching forces only to discover Old Gods are tainting the less-intelligent races
>undead are trying to establish their borders against zealots, and have to relieve their nightmares by killing mindless in their corrupted homeland

Vanilla WoW did a great job with starting off at level 1. Even the most generic of quests had actual flavor, and the quest text gave the world an even bigger feeling. Especially class quests.
>>
>>48264836
It's a pity they added the quest tracking bullshit.
While I'll admit it's useful, it discourages reading the flavor text and just hitting accept and trotting out to the ping on the map.
Wow. Such explore. Much discover.
I miss misleading people on the Mankrik's wife quest.
>>
>>48264886
>tfw Cataclysm turned everything into memes but they didn't somehow canonize Barrens chat
one fucking job
>>
>>48263893
>everyone says mg is the better alliance RP server
>it's kinda shitty
>roll on wra alliance
>it's much more mature and varied

never listen to reddit
>>
>>48264836
the questing experience is good even from level one, but it's hardly "metal" in the same way that max level content is. Raiding the Deadmines to kill Van Cleef is cool, but it's not "parachuting on to the back of a dragon made of lava to blow him up before he destroys the world" cool
>>
>>48265236
Deathwing bossfight wasn't cool. You don't even do anything, it's all about Thrall.
>>
>>48265269
Everything leading up to that wasn't bad.
But yeah, it was a kick in the balls to see all our hard work be a setup for Green Jesus to shine.
>>
>>48265173
I haven't been on Moon Guard since 2009, how bad is it now?
>>
>Horde is broken, Hellscream loyalists and rebels are still killing eachother
>Alliance is at the strongest it's ever been
>coalition of Alliance troops are already inside Orgrimmar
>Horde leaders are battered and bruised, facing fresh Alliance troops in the depths of the city
>Varian holds all the cards
>leaves and withdraws all troops, telling them to do better
>doesn't ask for anything, not even the lands Garrosh took during his reign
Why?
>>
>>48265374
Because he's dumb enough to listen to Anduin who's been working with Green Peace and not seeing real brutality instead of Jaina who got fucked hard by Garrosh in her own territory.
>>
>>48265328
Another RPer here

It used to be the grand center of RP on wow. Unfortunately, those great master RPers, or, those whom weren't obsessed with living out power fantasies, are gone.

In their stead, are the Goldshire kiddies that've grown up to be pimply NEETs, and the ever so loved memeword of SJWs. (This is where Tumblrinas in WoW originates from).

Basically, it's a psuedo tumblr chat that people play a game on, that's what Moonguard is. Avoid it.
>>
File: Ben Brode laughing6.jpg (32 KB, 771x250) Image search: [Google]
Ben Brode laughing6.jpg
32 KB, 771x250
>>48265374
>Garrosh slaughters and tortures thousands of innocent people - including his own subjects -, destroys Theramore and the Vale of Eternal Blossoms in ways they'll never recover from, nearly ressurects a fucking Old God, and has shown that he'll never feel anything other than pride in his actions
>guys he has to stand trial because of reasons
>while on trial he escapes into another fucking dimension before they can find him guilty
>Taran Zhu's face when
>>
>>48265374
Because Horde fanboys.
It's the same reason Malfurion, Velen and Jaina never do anything useful even though they each have the power to level the Horde themselves.
>>
>>48265424
What stopped WrA from falling to the same trap?
>>
>>48260715
Is the Hall of Valor the only afterlife in WoW or..? Is it the afterlife just for the Vrykrul?
>>
>>48265581
More of less that I'm a west coaster. Not only the time difference, but also that I experienced MG first hand. It's attractive. But like a lot of attractive things its only surface deep, and next thing you know you hate yourself and the game.
>>
>>48265466
>Van Cleef starts a rebellion for getting fucked by the government
>everyone gets pissy because a Royalist false-flagged the rebellion by throwing a brick at the queen
>doesn't get any trial
>his daughter gets to see him killed
>when people find out she exists years later their only response is, "Wow, Van Cleef is an even BIGGER liar than we thought!"
Proof that orcs are entitled cunts and the escape from Durnholde is literally BLM.
>>
>>48265614
the vrykul kidnap people who they think are badass and make them live in their heaven when they die
>>
>>48265656

orcs are held to a lower standard because theyre a lesser race anon
>>
>>48265614
Hall of valor is where Odyn gather the great dead as the world defender.
The less-competent ones go to Helheim.
most people go to shadowlands when they die.
>>
>>48265885
>shadowlands
I thought that when people die the can go to the Light, if they believed?

Or is this all being over written for this Steel Donut TM afterlife of not!Vikings?
>>
>>48263893
>wra
>dead

I'm talking dead like Kirin Tor, Scarlet Crusade, or Ravenholdt dead.
>>
>>48264165
>tfw I got 3 garr bindings in my first 3 clears on my lock

Never have gotten the Geddon half on any toons except a priest 3 expansions ago.
>>
>>48264836

God. Fuck. EVERYTHING about Uldaman was great. I miss instances that were buried in weird little out door dungeons. Why'd they get rid of those? It's not like 'we don't want to fight through it every fucking time we go in' is a legitimate excuse anymore, since you can just port in anyways. The mines around Uldaman were genuinely really cool, and the mines outside of Deadmines were a fun little byzantine maze.

Also, whatever happened to quests actually chaining from zone to zone? There were questlines from *Elwynn* that went all the way to Blackrock!
>>
File: Tiffin Wrynn.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Tiffin Wrynn.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>48265656
>>
>>48267032
>Why'd they get rid of those?
Because people are stupid and don't want to do petty things like make their own way to the instance.
This is nothing new.
As someone who raided as an Alliance Warlock in Vanilla, I had to completely fill all my bags with Soul Shards because I know I'd have to summon every single fucking scrub who didn't want to take that hop, skip and a jump from Ironforge to Blackrock.
And then they'd get there and realize they forgot to repair. Yay! Another shard wasted on your dumb ass!
>>
>>48266903
WrA is far from dead mate.

But yea, those other dead ones? Its like the Zone
>>
>>48267032
Yeah but Jintha Alor doe.
>>
>>48267131
I understand why Blizzard had to change things, because their entire game was dependent upon getting cash flow, and the vast majority didn't want to spend the time immersing themselves into a game-changing MMORPG. I think that's the most difficult thing about having WoW continue to change; having a valid opinion, but not having it be respected because the majority prefer to spend their time outside of the game while you had the ability to invest days into it.

Should raids only cater to the top one percent who are able to make guilds, study tactics, practice stages, and have the hours needed to do a full-blown raid? For those of us with the dedication, absolutely! There should be a well-earned reward for hard work. But for the majority who can only spend an hour -- at most -- on the game, they will use the power of the majority again and again to make the game more entry-level, and Blizzard will have to make those changes to keep the cash flowing.

I don't like it. I don't think anyone likes it. But there's nothing that can be done about it unless Blizzard gives us Legacy servers, and I still can't understand why that hasn't happened yet, unless they were retarded enough to DELETE EVERYTHING when they made Cata.
>>
>>48267365
>Should raids only cater to the top one percent who are able to make guilds, study tactics, practice stages, and have the hours needed to do a full-blown raid? For those of us with the dedication, absolutely!
literally why mythic difficulty exists
>>
>>48267365

>cater to casuals instead of players who actually make an MMO tick
>casuals being causals get bored within weeks and once the "content" has been pugged or done on LFR they move on to the next cowadooty: generic action
>WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN
>every expansion pack is even more "accessible", linear and easy

Retards killed their own game chasing the casual buck instead of enoying the 10 million subs they had.
>>
>>48267429
Mythic is the very definition of artificial difficulty.

>>48267592
I remember when people would belittle at the 6-9-6 rotation. Now it's how the game is played for all classes.
>>
>>48267592
Also multiple raiding tiers is the biggest reason for gear inflation.

And it's also the killing of communities is what hurt WoW. Nowadays, only RP servers have them.
>>
>>48267639
>Mythic is the very definition of artificial difficulty.
it's the same shit as having to organize 40 people, but now it requires everyone in your raid to be good instead of just not shit
>>
>>48267690

>Also multiple raiding tiers is the biggest reason for gear inflation.

Its not, look how many tiers BC had. It was a slow growth of stats, T3 was so good it was even comparable with T4.

Gear inflates so hard because of the illusion of progress and mandatory gear resets. They want every little casual feel growing exponentally just by dinging max level and getting decked in welfare gear. They also want everyone stay relatively around the same level so casuals wont get sad and angry like blue geared hunters afking in ironforge did when a guy wearing T3 rode through town. Every tier must be complete reset so its back to square one for everyone. The gear even looks the same now just with upped stats and recolors.

>>48267705

But in the end who gives a shit about mythic? There is zero sense of accomplishment, Back then even GETTING into Naxx meant you were a stone cold nigga. Even getting into MC or Onyxia took preparation, FR gear, attunements, consumables. Just seeing a raid from the inside was special. And now you can do the SAME instance everything else runs to do the same fights and get the same gear.
>>
>>48266428
>Or is this all being over written for this Steel Donut TM afterlife of not!Vikings?

No. Most people go to the Shadow Lands.
Some Vrykul get to go to the Halls of Valor from the Shadow Lands. The Halls of Valor is not an actual afterlife, but a floating piece of Ulduar where worthy Vrykul souls are slapped into new physical bodies.
>>
>>48267365
>I still can't understand why that hasn't happened yet

Legacy servers are pointless.
People complain about lack of new content after a year.
Enjoy no new content ever.
>>
>>48267811
Sorry, I meant to say having multiple modes of difficulty and size. Wrath is where it seemed like the gear inflation really started to take off.
>>
>>48267813
So.. the 'going to the Light' is a meme?
>>
>be Blizzard
>be given the challenge of writing a story about scandal, deception, and pride with Magni Bronzebeard
>realize you're a bunch of hacks and turn him into solid diamond
>slap everyone in the face by having him approve of Moira running away to the Dark Irons, fucking their king, getting pregnant, and allowing countless members of her clan die trying to "rescue" her only to refuse them honors for service, not to mention destroying the Bronzebeard clan entirely
Dwarves never deserved this fate.
>>
>>48268542
WoWWiki claims that Paladins go to the Light, but that section even has a [Citation Needed] attached to it.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Shadowlands

I would assume that be the case, though.
>>
>>48268594
So.. religion is *tip* useless?
I thought followers of the Light go to some pseudo heaven?
>>
>>48265328
>>48265424
It's not that bad. Just avoid Goldshire.
>>
File: 1435616639395.gif (940 KB, 450x695) Image search: [Google]
1435616639395.gif
940 KB, 450x695
>>48266903

>TFW Steamwheedle Cartel
>>
>>48268993
Or Shadow Council. All those memories with friends from 2007-2012. Gone.
>>
Anyone else here kill KT in Vanilla? Now that was a 3 hour fight I didn't mind
>>
>>48267811
>. Even getting into MC
Yeah nah.

The hardest part of raiding pre-AQ was waiting for the BWL attunement mob to respawn.

Raiding weren't balanced or treated like a challenge until AQ40.
>>
>>48267365
>Should raids only cater to the top one percent who are able to make guilds, study tactics, practice stages, and have the hours needed to do a full-blown raid?
Yes. It should be like TBC/Vanilla where good players/guilds did harder raids and casuals/shitters did T4/T5 until they got gud.
>>
>>48268594
>>48268611
Is this the case now?
>>
>>48263793
earthen ring/darkmoonfaire EU's last horde RP guild leader

I don't want to play anymore
>>
>>48261389
>'creatively inspired'
>were originally gonna make a game for GW but the fuckers backed out at the last minute
>now Blizzard has three separate IPs that could all have easily happened in a GW-licensed setting
>GW missed out on 20 years of printing money
Feels good, /tg/.
>>
>>48263067
Seriously, fuckups like Titan usually spell the end of a company. Not only did their main cash cow (kinda-sorta) keep limping along after the disaster, but they were able to make a new cash cow out of the wreckage.
>>
>>48270643
3 IPs, one of which has 3 games and now a movie.
>>
>>48269869
Bump, same question
>>
>>48263893
>not emerald dream.
>>
>>48267112
jej
>>
>>48271042
tyrone comes back from the light's bosom to lecture DKs who are trying to reuse his body.
>>48270874
so how was the movie?
>>
>>48271240
>tyrone comes back from the light's bosom to lecture DKs who are trying to reuse his body.

wut pls explain
>>
>>48271240
>http://wow.gamepedia.com/Shadowlands
So.. you have to wield Holy magic to go to not!Heaven?
>>
>>48271257
>tyrone dies like a bitch and gives the nearest paladin named Xxholybeefxx his sword
>DKs think that the world is going to go tits up and they need to raise new heroes to kill shit.
>DKs tear shit up at light's hope chapel and try to raise Tyrone's corpse
>He comes in and lectures them on how rude they are.
>>
>>48271275
When do they do this?

Srs question pls
>>
>>48271307
The DK artifact questline.
You have to raise the 4 horsemen and tyrone is supposed to be the 4th one. instead we get mograine
>>
>>48271412
So the verdict on this is the Shadowlands is the afterlife

Evil people go to.. hellish parts?
Good?
Light worshippers that are good/bad?
>>
>>48271447
light worshippers probably go to some hell with how simplistic blizzard's morals are.
Whitemane mentions that she is being tormented because of her sins of giving me a boner with those milky thighs.
>>
>>48271471
..Im so confused.

Shadowlands is what the afterlife is.

Theres good and bad parts, with harmony and hellish conditions

Good people to the former, bad to the latter?
>>
>>48271481
the shadowlands seems to be an exclusively different plane of existence. The DKs get their mounts from the shadowlands for example.
>>
>>48271508
Im so lost. I considered myself competent on these matters before. What happens to the dead people in this setting?
>>
>>48270874
>3 games

Are you not counting WoW or one of the early ones?
>>
>>48271664
they go to different places IIRC sylvanas went to a nice comfy place in the shadow lands
the naaru say that the light claims the souls of the faithful. Warlocks probably become demonic enough to get stuck in the twisting nether. Orc ancestors seem to wander around draenor.
>>
>>48271774
Where did the naaru said that?
>>
>>48271788
the quest where you fail to save a paladin from the plague. Although it was largely a homage to a blizzard employee who died of cancer.
>>
>>48267365
They saiy something like they lost source code for TBC and vanilla... but that's bullshit excuse. If private servers with about zero resources and bunch of amateurs working in their free time can do it, why can't Blizzard with their billions of dollars and a staff who made the game in the first place?
>>
>>48272103
>guys we totally lost all our code for two major products that we made
>serious
thats benny hill tier stuff.
>>
>>48271774
>Orc ancestors seem to wander around draenor.
and draenei souls go to Auchindoun to sit in a hole and wait to get corrupted
>>
File: auchindoun.png (218 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
auchindoun.png
218 KB, 500x324
>>48272237
thats why auchindoun must be protected.
>>
What are everybody views on the dungeon finder? Was it a good addition? Or the beginning of the end?

Personally. I liked it a lot. But i do think it would have been good if you had to at least find the dungeon in the world before you could enter.
>>
>>48265236
Warcraft has never been Always Metal All The Time, though. The concept art, sure, but even the strategy games start off fairly low-key. Warcraft 3 begins with you protecting peasants from bandits and gnolls and then moves over to orcish brigands; it's practically Elwynn-Redridge.
>>
>>48272547
it would even be fine if it just created the group for you and you had to travel to the dungeon.
>>
>>48272576
How would that even work? Unless you can only group with people of your own server.
>>
>>48272286
best girl, Yrel a shit
>>
>>48272590
CRZ would take care of that.
>>
>>48272608
CRZ?
>>
>>48272590
>How would that even work?
the same way the party finder works now, but with people using it for things other than mythic dungeons and ring upgrade archy kills?
>>
>>48272622
cross realm zoning. its something blizzard uses to make places more populated by phasing people to different servers.
>>48272602
who was this qt again?
>>
>>48272627
>who was this qt again?
Soulbinder Tuulani, the best part of Draenor leveling outside of Spires of Arak
>>
>>48272655
is she a good waifu?
>>
>>48270643

I think you've fallen into the "success fallacy," it's much more likely that GW would have fucked it up and we'd have all forgotten about it by now outside of "worst business deals ever" clickbait.
>>
>>48272672
she's qt, has unique voice lines, good quests and becomes your follower after you finish them. 9/10 waifu
>>
>>48270667

Between WoW's subscriber money and the post-launch Hearthstone fad they weren't hurting for liquid cash at all. They had the time and funds to put towards a new IP and frankly I think it was smart of them to wait until they had one they could build on. I think their bigger concern is going to be adapting to a world where they can't budget around subscription models in the future.
>>
>>48269593
>>48269081

Only about 20% of players ever stepped into a raid in vanilla. There were servers where Kel'thuzad went unkilled till BC was released. People vastly underestimate how elite a thing raiding was, but it was just the top of the content pyramid so no one minded it except jelly noobs. Then blizzard decided everyone must raid and raids must be "accessible" so they funneled everyone into raiding and made levelling a quick and tedious non-content.

>>48270643

That sounds like some bullshit rumor but if its true its an invading russia tier mistake.

>>48272555

And thats great, buildup is great and gives a sense of achievement and progression. The best parts of the game where youre just an adventurer poking at things and exploring instead of being the chosen one saving azeroth.
>>
>>48272687
>she's qt, has unique voice lines, good quests and becomes your follower after you finish them. 9/10 waifu
HNNNG
hope she is alliance only.
>>
>>48272708
nope, she's the only female draenei follower the Horde gets actually
>>
>>48272708

Nope. The only fun part of the garrison was building an entirely non-horde group of followers. Tuulani, that draenei ghost, Nat Pagle, Croman, Leeroy and others.

>>48272702

Dont forget that Overwatch is just a reanimated corpse of Titan, a would be MMO based on RMAH reusing its assets
>>
>>48272704
>That sounds like some bullshit rumor but if its true its an invading russia tier mistake.
IIRC what actually happened was that Warcraft 1 was inspired by Warhammer, but not close enough to be a rip off, so one person from Blizzard went to GW to try and get a licensing deal, but GW wouldn't play ball and everyone else at Blizzard hated the idea, so it didn't happen
>>
>>48272748

Warcraft 1 was super generic and there was nothing warhammer about it. It was just your average fantasy setting with evil orcs and demons and noble humans.
>>
>>48272723
>>48272724
>tfw your waifu is getting GREENED in the horde garrison
razing the horde presence when?
>>48272760
pretty much this wc1 and 2 were as generic as it got.
>>
>>48272760
>It was just your average fantasy setting with evil orcs and demons and noble humans.
don't you know that GW invented green and the middle ages?
>>
>>48272768

>greened,
>in MY garrison

Not a single greenskin faggot, elves only.

I'm still mad about having to live in some orcish mud hut and pretend I give a shit about the elements. That nigger shaman is still in my base casting some shit to this day. I like to think no one talks to him but he is just too autistic to realize and leave our austere elf presence.
>>
>>48272748
>>48272760
From what I've heard, Blizzard wanted to make a Warhammer RTS game, and did a simple orcs vs humans mission as a proof of concept. But GW didn't give them the license, so they decided to use the stuff they had made for a non-Warhammer game about orcs fighting humans.
>>
>>48271481
It's all just the Shadowlands.
Some people find it peaceful, others do not.
>>
>>48272807
>I'm still mad about having to live in some orcish mud hut and pretend I give a shit about the elements. That nigger shaman is still in my base casting some shit to this day. I like to think no one talks to him but he is just too autistic to realize and leave our austere elf presence.
>elf presence
>literal orc architecture.
>>48272800
Its called "Gorean" and "Age of Medivalness" TM
>>
>>48272627
Ah. Yeah that would work just fine. Well, besides maybe random dungeons. Altough that could be handled by a daily quest.
>>
>>48273041
yeah, pretty much.
timewalker was a nudge in the right direction.
>>
>>48273069
Yes it was. Frankly i argue they should just do what Final Fantasy 14 does. You would probally have to nerf most of the old raids to dungeon finder levels of non challenge. But at least then people might have a reason to actually play some of the old content.
>>
>>48272768
I agree with you regarding Warcraft 1. 2 tried to be a bit more original. And for the most part succeeded.
>>
>>48272768
>>tfw your waifu is getting GREENED in the horde garrison
when I got her, she had a trait that makes her do better at missions with an orc in her party
>>
>>48272547
I have a penchant for the argument that automating finding groups and even raids are what destroyed WoW. Again it goes back to what this guy said (>>48267365) about Blizzard catering to people who don't invest full days in the game, so they remove the exploration aspect from going to dungeons, along with the danger of long-distance travel (I'm sure everyone in here remembers walking from Ironforge to Shadowfang Keep) while also preventing players from being able to interact with other players on their own server.

One of my best memories is whispering people en masse by using "/who 15-19" and sorting them by class to make a group for VC, and adding all of them to my friends list if they got through the dungeon without being unnecessarily rude. Because of Dungeon Finder, everyone joins and quits to get the free loot as quickly as possible so they can log out at an inn to get the XP boost.
>>
File: 1468332235096.jpg (224 KB, 1920x1234) Image search: [Google]
1468332235096.jpg
224 KB, 1920x1234
>>48273278
now I have to fap furiously
>>48273139
what made the old content challenging was the exploration and coordination that it required in those days. WoW caught lightning in a bottle, and no matter what blizzard does, the halycon days won't return.
>>
>>48272655
Tulaani is pretty interesting in that she's a canon non-evil draenei shadowpriest (her spec when you get her as a follower is shadow, although for some reason she automatically has the "group healing" ability that is normally not available to shadowpriest followers). She's does worship the Light, though, so her spec is probably supposed to represent her being an Auchenai soulpriest, rather than actually worshiping the Shadow. That's probably also the canonical explanation for PC draenei shadowpriests.
>>
>>48273319
What "destroyed" WoW is that it is now twelve years old.
>>
>>48273479
>so her spec is probably supposed to represent her being an Auchenai soulpriest, rather than actually worshiping the Shadow
that's what I always assumed. And WoD shows us that the Auchenai were pretty cool guys until they all went insane
>>
>>48273560
>complete the auchindoun quest chain in MU outland
>"Congrats, now you see the dead too"
>turn around and see all those dead space goats
spooky.
>>
>>48273560
When Maladaar says
>I would forfeit my own soul to protect my people.
he is not fucking kidding.
>>
>>48272547
>"Warcraft Lore and RPG discussion"
>>
>>48272608
Where automatic matchmaking could have been an alright service, cross-realm and cross realm matchmaking is what removes all accountability and gives players license to be dicks.
>>
>>48273502

>people still keep repeating this bullshit

>>48273597

That entire zone was turbo spooky, ghosts and skeletons errywhere plus mysterious shit like that cursed artifact that makes you surrounded by about a hundred undead if you touch it.
>>
File: 1464519899441.jpg (275 KB, 802x1038) Image search: [Google]
1464519899441.jpg
275 KB, 802x1038
>>48274201
That's because it's true.
>>
>>48274407

You better go back to /v/ with that shitposting.
>>
>>48274456
You just have difficulties realizing that your perspective is changing over time. It doesn't need to be quite as dramatic as in the picture, but the main point is 100% right.
>>
>>48274513
Yeah I loved vanilla and TBC WoW, but I was a young college student with way too much free time back then. I've taken on too many real life responsibilities to do that stuff anymore.

It still makes me sad because I can't go back and and experience it all the same way when I have a free weekend.
>>
>>48274585
don't you want the assbringer anon?
you are the champion of the world and the general bigdick of your class. Lady liadrin will also sleep with you as part of the job.
>>
>>48274602
You got it mixed up. Paladins get Ashbringer, Death Knights get Liadrin.
>>
>>48274602
No, because the community is gone. The experience of banding together with a bunch of people and making bonds over all the various things we did so we could step into the raids without instantly dying is what made it so great.

No raiding experience was ever as satisfying as when my guild beat C'thun shortly after he was made possible to kill or when we beat Kael'thas before he was made easy-mode, because we actually put a lot of effort into getting that far.
>>
>>48273319
While i'm personally rather fond of the dungeon finder for making it much more convenient to clear content. I do agree that it did kill a large amount of the social experience of wow.

Frankly. I think the big mistake wasn't so much killing the social element for the sake of convenience. But not really having anything strong enough to replace that element. Like a good main story line.
>>
>>48273502
Kind of yeah. They really should have just stopped after Cata and made world of warcraft 2.
>>
"The Forsaken's ruthless leader is a formidable champion of her people. But with the Burning Legion's invasion, the stakes for the Dark Lady have never been higher. Should Sylvanas perish, her demise will be the beginning of her eternal damnation. All that stand between her and this doom are her Val'kyr, yet few of these spirit guardians remain. As her fate edges closer to the abyss, Sylvanas must decide how far she'll go to protect her people… and whether they're more precious to her than her soul."

I thought it was canon that the first generation of Forsaken (plague-raised) are just another form of mindless undead that have devotion to Sylvanas just as the undead of the Scourge have a devotion to the Lich King, and only the second generation of Forsaken (Val'kyr-raised) have true free will. Does this just mean that the amount of undead the Val'kyr have resurrected are starting to outnumber the population of original Forsaken because they have rotted / been killed? It would make more sense that way because if she is being elevated to Warchief she would have a position of power for once where people have real opinions of her, and the vast majority of the living Horde hate her very existence, and having the Forsaken start to loathe her would make for a very good quest line. It would also cause the undead players to collectively become asspained over their waifu getting permanently fucked in a raid.

>>48274407
>tfw I just used Nostalrius to prove I could level to 60 in Vanilla since I joined during BC
>>
>>48274654
>the community is gone.
>Still need a guild if you want to get anywhere outside of LFR.
Uh huh, sure.
>>
File: Sally_Whitemane5.jpg (147 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Sally_Whitemane5.jpg
147 KB, 1024x768
>>48274618
Don't you mean Whitemane?
>>
>>48274847
Those thighs are worth becoming a heretic for.
>>
>>48274847
why not both? chicks dig a man in uniform
>>
>>48274828
Last time I raided was MoP. It was most definitely not the same experience. No one had the bond of camaraderie that the vanilla and TBC experiences produced.
>>
>>48274909
sounds like your guild was a bunch of chumps then, even in WoD the guild experience isn't significantly different if you're in a good one
>>
>>48274909

Dont reply to shitposters
>>
>>48274925
You can tell when you're talking to someone who didn't do anything high-end in vanilla when they think anything from WotLK-forward is even remotely comparable to just how much stuff you did together with your guild before and between raids. And I liked WotLK.

>>48274924
How many guilds high-end guilds from vanilla are still together in WoD? Shared experiences aren't interchangeable. My old guilds are gone and I can't make them reappear to play the game with them again on a weekend.
>>
>>48275000
All I'm hearing from this is that you're nostalgic for your old guild, so you don't try to connect with a new one.
>>
>>48274729
The firat generation of Forsaken are the ones that, like Sylvanas managed to break free of the Lich King's control when his power weakened, and regained free will. If anything's it's suspected that Sylvanas is also somehow brainwashing the newer generation of Forsaken while raising them, as they seem veyr eager to start serving her and killing their former countrymen pretty much right after she killed them and raised them.
>>
>>48275061
Also the opportunities to connect are not the same, partially because of the nature of the game, and partially because I have a tenth of the time to play that I used to.

There's no modern equivalent to tracking down old dungeon bosses that drop resistance gear and figuring out neat ways to skip ahead to them with weird group compositions. Example: Some fire elemental boss in Blackrock Depths dropped cloth bracers with fire resistance. I figured out a path to skip a lot of patrols and avoid encounters so I could take cloth classes inside to waste that boss before he could kill anyone, so we could help people farm that stuff regardless of who was on. It was hilarious at times as people had to get creative to survive.

What's the WoD equivalent of that?
>>
>>48275146
The starting quest for the Forsaken basically has the NPCs tell you after they resurrect you, "Hey, you have free will, so here's your choice: Serve Sylvanas without question, or wander into the forest and let us kill you." They aren't brainwashing, they're doing coercion. Some of the people raised, though, realize they're damned, and rather than whine they remain pragmatic and decide to just serve.
>>
>>48275149
>What's the WoD equivalent of that?

Coming up with new strats for bosses.
The actual game has become much more difficult, requiring skill rather than time.
>>
>>48275184
The ones raised on the field of battle are *Basically* mind controlled. Though the official lore line is "When someone is raised too quickly they are violent and easily suggestible" rather than any more direct mind control.
>>
>>48275149
>what's the WoD equivalent of doing minorly entertaining busywork to gear up your guildmates
mythic dungeons?
>>
>>48275217
Absolutely, Raid Mechanics within Dungeons and Bosses are insanely complicated compared to what they used to be. WoW has become more accessible but not lost its depth. People confuse Depth with Time spent/Complexity when they're totally different things.
>>
Why are the ogres not part of the Horde?
>>
>>48274618
>tfw no political marriage where thassarian absolutely HAS to marry Lady Liadrin.
I would read a fanfic about them.
>>
>>48275667
they got the high elf treatment
>>
>>48275667
They are, the Stonemaul tribe is part of the Horde but they;re just not playable in WoW.

In Cata they even help set up an outpost in Feralas to watch the Gordok/Gordunni Ogres, though they still haven't gotten their home back from Onyxia's brood.
>>
>>48275667
There are ogres that are part of the Horde. It's just that there aren't very many, so they aren't justifiable as a PC race. That and they'd have to be shrunken down, like tauren.

There's the clan Rexxar smacked into submission that are currently living in... whatever the marsh Theramore is / was in. I'm kinda shit at names.

As for the rest: They're either dead or scattered. I'm kind of hoping main universe Rexxar comes back and we get PC ogres.
>>
>>48275667
because when they didn't have Cho'gall and Gul'dan keeping them in line, they got bored and wandered off
>>
>>48260715
So, I keep asking about the afterlife/shadowlands..

Can someone spoonfeed me where this comes from, and how long its been around?
>>
>>48275875
I'm pretty sure the Shadowlands was born of Blizzard trying to make PC and WC3 hero resurrection canon. The Shadowlands is where heroes go when they die before their time and Spirit Healers are rogue Val'kyr that sort out who is dead before their time
>>
>>48275875
The Shadowlands are a tangentially linked realm to the physical realm (that most players experience in Azeroth) that reflects opposite of the verdant Emerald Dream. The origins of the Shadowlands remain uncertain, but they have existed ever since mortal life first arose in the physical universe. Many believe that mortal souls are drawn into this dark place at the point of death, where they remain forever. Still others hope that their souls will go on to a brighter place, rather than languish for eternity within the cold confines of the Shadowlands.

As the Emerald Dream is spiritual realm of life, the Shadowlands represent death, decay, and shadows.

Source: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 12, published March 15, 2016.

i.e. Shadowlands are a complete retcon of the afterlife and only exists to make game mechanics part of the lore
>>
>>48275992
The afterlife was never really clear.

There are other realms mentioned like Bonswamdi's realm or becoming one with the light but the general shadowlands don't explicitly contradict that.

Blizzard is SHIT about dealing with death though so it's somehow a place of "Decay."
>>
>>48275875
it started being explored in depth with wotlk, where the DK player briefly ventures into it to tame their mount, and the players venture into it at least once more with the help of a draenei shaman in Howling fjord.
>>
>>48275975
>>48275992
>>48276065
So..

As druids go to the Dream, Necromancers(?) go to the Shadowlands along with the (evil?) undead?

..Everyone else?

Im just not ready to tip my fedora on another setting just because of pants on head lore teams.
>>
>>48276022
Before WoW death was intentionally ambiguous and up to interpretation by religion. The Holy Light believed becoming one with the essence of the universe, Shamanism preached ancestor worship and becoming one with the elements, Druidism taught returning to nature, worshiping Elune was a racial religion, some architects started to revere the Titans as creator gods... I could go on and on, but the point is that the afterlife was intentionally ambiguous, and it's only in 2016 that the Shadowlands is named and every religion acts like they knew it existed this whole time as the definite end for mortals.
>>
>>48276110
shadowlands are sort of like purgatory or a temporary resting place.

Druids probably have their own variations of an afterlife based on their culture.

Necromancers probably get tortured in warcraft hell like arthas was, or they seek to become undead.
>>
>>48276132
So, Blizz just shoehorned it in, hm.

Well, you think we'll ever get an update on this, and is it true that even people like Whitemane, as zealous as she was, never expected any afterlife different from the average warlock?
>>
>>48276132
But the Shadowlands are most certainly not the definite endpoint for souls.

>>48276165
>Necromancers probably get tortured in warcraft hell like arthas was, or they seek to become undead.
*Like Sylvy received a vision of Arthas being tortured
>>
>>48276196
she wasn't being nice to the free willed undead who were fucking up lordaeron, so she got sent to hell and the Ebin blade :DDD bails her out.
>>
>>48276203
>*Like Sylvy received a vision of Arthas being tortured
>doubting our lady
found the rotbrain.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.