[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: ZzsyJZa[1].png (1 MB, 665x660) Image search: [Google]
ZzsyJZa[1].png
1 MB, 665x660
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Old Thread
>>48186810

Do you do PvP ever? what are your experiences with it?
>>
>>48207530
Not in 5th, but in 4e we had a Encounters game where we were all 1st level and one player had a Blackguard. When we encountered some innocents the Blackguard player said "I kill them!". Initiative was rolled, everyone else in the party beat the blackguard, and threw all their attacks at him, killing him before he could do anything. To my knowledge that guy never played D&D again.
>>
>>48207530
The one time my players pvped, it was a cleric vs. a warlock, in a just for fun type thing. The cleric succeeded on his save against hold person, and the warlock didn't. That was that.
>>
>>48207530
If its 1v1 nothing can beat amoon druid at low to mid levels, as long as hes decded to sink all his days resources into it.
>>
>>48207530

Yes and no. The first PvP I encountered was when I was DMing. Had a Monk of the Long Death and he knocked out a creature (a stirge) so he could study it dying. Another player (who ended up breaking the group apart later), killed the knocked out stirge just to piss off the Monk. The Monk, understandably upset, yelled at the Warlock and I allowed them to fight. The Monk knocked the Warlock out fairly effortlessly. They were both level 1 at the time.

The second time was just a couple weeks ago. I'm playing a clown and we're going through OotA in Neverlight Grove. We get hit by a shit load of madness rolls and, eventually, a tablemate fails his roll and his madness this time was amnesia. So his character sorta shakes his head as if he's coming to and sees me standing there in tattered, rough looking, patching together clown outfit and decided that I looked dangerous enough to attack. With his Sneak Attack, he nearly one shots me and then runs off. I didn't retaliate.
>>
Was GFB a mistake? I find myself wanting it on every melee character that doesn't have extra attack, like a life cleric where it is basically a free Divine Strike with some possible damage to another enemy as well. I feel like it has become a standard and I'm not even sure it was needed beyond a few niche things, like melee wizards/bladesingers and sorcerers.
>>
>>48208046
>The second time was just a couple weeks ago. I'm playing a clown and we're going through OotA in Neverlight Grove. We get hit by a shit load of madness rolls and, eventually, a tablemate fails his roll and his madness this time was amnesia. So his character sorta shakes his head as if he's coming to and sees me standing there in tattered, rough looking, patching together clown outfit and decided that I looked dangerous enough to attack. With his Sneak Attack, he nearly one shots me and then runs off. I didn't retaliate.
OK that's a great one, as much as I want to stay away from PvP.
>>
>>48208103

We all had a good laugh about it. That was a real fun session to be honest.

>>48208080

I dunno, GFB is really good, but it works best on someone who plans to stay on the front lines. Even a heavy armor cleric won't be able to duke it out with an appropriately sized enemy force while still maintaining his role as primary healer/party buffer. Rogues still probably get the best mileage out of the cantrip, I think.
>>
File: 1468008157237.jpg (81 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1468008157237.jpg
81 KB, 1024x768
Anyone got an upload for Fantasy grounds on a mega or torrent?

It's on steam /app/252690/
>>
>>48207530
PvP in a all out video game fight is really stupid. A PvP session with players that know each other should be more like a full action movie where they attack back and forth over a longer period of time than a single encounter. Like one of those WWII sniper vs sniper type stories.

If you really want a battle royale in 5e it should be NPC versus NPC because NPC stat blocks are designed for single encounters.
>>
>>48208080
GFB should work great once, and then be tricky to line up AoE afterwards.
>>
>>48208142
Thinking about it I suppose it isn't a big problem if variant humans are banned, which I think is well reasoned. Trickster rogues and eldritch knights aren't exactly OP and otherwise it would be mostly bladesingers, bladelock / melee tomelock, arcana cleric etc.

>>48208234
I meant mostly for the scaling damage, at level 5 it becomes a free 1d8 extra damage.
>>
>>48208178
https://torcache.net/torrent/423FAE9E5FC8E910950075BA74A09CEF01CE0A1A.torrent?title=[kat.cr]fantasy.grounds.ii.v2.0.12.extras.rh

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:423fae9e5fc8e910950075ba74a09cef01ce0a1a&dn=fantasy+grounds+ii+v2+0+12+extras+rh&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce
>>
>>48208080
Thats a bit of a silly thing to say, considering clerics can't get it. As any character I want healing word too, but I'm not going to jump through hoops to get it, and GFB isn't even that good compared to other cantrips if you aren't adding casting stat to damage. I think I would rather have EB most of the time if we are talking cantrips. more chances to hit (and crit), and force damage is king of the damage types.

You can want it on every character, but its only wiz/warlock/sorc. So you have to jump through hoops to get it. Sometimes its worth it for a concept to jump through those hoops (if you really wanted a flaming blade you could pick up magic initiate, or be a high elf or something I suppose).

Mechanically, the spell is only situational in its strength compared to other cantrips. (Its melee, to get the most mileage out of it you want to also be in the thick of things (ie, at least two enemies next to each other) So you need to be beefy. You want to have a high physical stat and spellcasting stat when you attack with it to make it worthwhile, etc)

Its good for the people that fit that criteria (beefy, only one attack, actually have access to it) but typically it just actually lets you smash guys instead of blasting them with a firebolt (which in many cases will be superior).
>>
Can you heal a Simulacrum with Cure Wounds?

On the one hand:
>If the Simulacrum is damaged, you can repair it in an alchemical laboratory using rare herbs and minerals worth 100gp per hit point it regains

That implies that you need to repair it to heal it.

However,
>it can take actions and otherwise be affected as a normal creature

That implies that spell effects will work on it just like they would on any other creature, which would include magical healing.
>>
>>48208490
I would rule that you cannot.
>>
>>48208080
Nah. It was made to give casters a way to fight in melee besides using shocking grasp.
The damage on average doesn't exceeded a level 11 fighter once it's maxed out.

You get the best mileage out of it when playing a gish character.

Examples are:

Swashbuskler/Dragon Sorcerrer (you can completely focus on Cha and Dec with it)

Monk/Arcana Cleric (a one level dip into cleric nets you the melee cantrips and rituals that synergyze with monk features . I also allow the bonus action unarmed strike on Booming blade and Green flame blade)

It's also a good option for spell sniper bladelocks since they can use whips for melee keeping them away from direct harm.
>>
File: rc7n6b.jpg (15 KB, 481x347) Image search: [Google]
rc7n6b.jpg
15 KB, 481x347
>session today
>still need to make the dungeon
>>
>>48208603
http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/dungeon/
>>
>>48208080
>>48208454
GFB is great, and as the other anon said you have to jump through hoops to get it(playing paladin/swashbuckler with magic initiate).

It actually makes my concept better, and in the end allows me to do just a tiny bit more damage(at later levels). Currently just 4 pal, but if I go 1 rogue then assuming I'd get my sneak attack off I'd be doing

1d8+str
1d8, 1d8+cha(second target)
1d6

So if you compare it to just getting extra attack as a 5th level Paladin, I'm doing slightly less damage on average on single targets because the 1d8 from GFB doesn't add any attribute modifier and obviously more damage to multi-targets from the extra die.

Likewise if you put it on a character that doesn't have an extra attack feature(as you mentioned), it does end up giving them a pretty nice boost to their damage per round, however you've got to give up a feat/multi-class to get it so in that regard it evens out.
>>
>>48207530
This reminds me that there's an old Eberron calendar utility in in WOTC's 3.5 archives that tracks the orbits of the planes.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebwe/20041129a
>>
>>48208571

What rituals synergize with Monk features?
>>
>>48208855
the only rituals they have at level 1 are detect magic, detect poison and disease, and purify food and drink which are useful but don't really synergize with the monk.
>>
Since Undying Light's anility work with Searing smite and Branding smite (according to sage advice http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/13/would-an-undying-light-warlockpaladin-add-cha-bonus-to-damage-from-divine-smite/)

Wouldn't that mean it should work with Divine Favor too? They are all self targeting spell that add fire/radiance damage.
>>
I'm about to paint some D&D miniatures for the first time. I've been looking into paints and I saw that Vallejo tends to be whats recommended.

Does anyone have a paint set from from Vallejo they would recommend? Do you tend to stay away from sets and just buy individual colors? Am I being bamboozled and Vallejo is shit?
>>
Beyond Fiend being a pissed off D8 HP tank thing, what are the general playstyles accepted for the various patrons for Bladelocks?
>>
>>48209183
fey: art class weirdos
fiend: jocks
old one: nerds
>>
>>48209274
What about Undying and Undying Light?
I'm still trying to work with that vampire hunter thing from last thread and Old One seems better for Chainlocks.
>>
File: 1455162641164.jpg (58 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1455162641164.jpg
58 KB, 720x405
If I'm using both resistances and immunities on a creature, should i base it's adjusted HP on the immunity or the resistance provided that the resistance is something like slashing damage?
>>
>>48209310
undying: goths
undying light: christians? young republicans?

for real though... i think most see fey as the dex based semi rogue bladelock. it has the most mobility. fiend like you said is the toughest plus fireball. great old one can be a controller.

undying light is OP, and not published in a book, just in UA which is pretty hit or miss. in this case they "hit" on being really powerful. i did a bunch of math about it and you can do about 400 damage of burst damage pretty easily (and by easily i mean by spending all your resources, fast, and being level 20) as an undying light/paladin, so theres that.

undying (not light) just isn't very good. all ribbon abilities. meh spells.
>>
So I am kinda confused:
The ammunition and the reloading explanations are not very clear to me.
I understand that a weapon with the reloading property can't make more than one attack per turn regardless of how many attacks you can do in that turn, but does reloading take an action or bonus action? or it is assumed your character reload the weapon as part of their attack?
>>
File: 1.jpg (39 KB, 706x513) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
39 KB, 706x513
>>48209446
it just limits you to one attack per action. for example a war cleric could make one crossbow attack with their attack action, and then a second crossbow attack with their war priest feature. but a fighter with extra attack can only make one crossbow attack with the attack action.
you reload as part of the attack, as normal.
>>
>>48209446

I believe it's as you said, that it is assumed your character reloads as part of the attack, provided they have a free hand to reload with.
>>
I'm wanting to try out a mechanic similar what metroid prime 3 did with phazon and the phazon enhancing devices.

In short, the PCs would get infected with something and they could then tap into it to power them up (at the cost of some health) to obscene levels. This state would last for a certain amount of time or until it was used up. The drawback would be if the pc took enough damage (or some other trigger) they would reach critical levels and if the PC couldn't regulate themselves (to be decided later) they would become completely corrupted and lose that character for good.

Any tips on how to do this?
>>
>>48209446

Ammunition:
>Can't dual wield weapons with the Ammunition property
>Each attack roll expends one piece of ammunition. At the end of the battle you can recover half of the ammunition you expended.

Loading:
>Can only make one attack roll per action, regardless of how many times you can normally attack per action.
>It's assumed that reloading is factored into the attack, which is why you can only fire a Loading weapon once due to needing to take the time to load it.
>>
DMs who restrict PvP are invariably cancer. Character conflict is an integral part of mature storylines and a DM who ignores that is creatively stunted.
>>
File: 1457551189808.png (459 KB, 1023x1390) Image search: [Google]
1457551189808.png
459 KB, 1023x1390
>>48209469
>>48209520
Oh I get it now, my confusion came from the fighter feature since I was under the impression the extra attack was a bonus action. Thanks
>>
>>48209590
Character conflict covers a wide spectrum of acceptable stuff before reaching PvP. The majority of players can't handle PvP maturely and will let it escalate until one or the other is dead.
D&D is a group game, splitting the party should be limited, let alone fracturing the party and working against each other.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 768x1024
>>48209416
Well here's the thing
My warlock is cursed by and has a patron in an immensely powerful vampire who she is out to kill, and the vampire, amused by the attempt, grants her power and a weapon to properly challenge him.
I don't know how I should fix up that statistically to grant a proper Bladelock out of it, as the vampire could reasonably fit into any but undying light, really, and it'd be iffy to get GOO.
The entire thing is a miserable pile of castlevania references, too.
>>
>>48209766
go for fiend.
>>
File: 1463578759654.jpg (185 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1463578759654.jpg
185 KB, 800x800
Hey /tg/, trying to come up with a cool custom feat to pitch to my GM for when I get a chance to get another feat. Can I get some feedback on whether it's OP/underpowered/balanced?

Flick of the Wrist
Requirement: Strength 13 and Dexterity 13

When wielding a finesse weapon, when an enemy attacks and hits you as part of a reaction you may roll a contested attack roll to attempt to disarm the enemy. If you roll higher than the attack that hit you, you may disarm the target and the attack is nullified. You may do this a number of times equal to either your strength or dexterity modifier per short rest, which ever is higher.
When you roll for damage on a finesse weapon, you may add both your strength and dexterity mod to the damage.
>>
>>48209799
Okay anon.
Also, I'm going to be going with Variant Human, and fully planning on grabbing Magic Initiate (Warlock) for maximum bullshit.
I'm already getting Eldritch Blast and Friends as my starting Cantrips, and was thinking GFB and Lightning Lure.
Any better suggestions?
>>
>>48209858
>When you roll for damage on a finesse weapon, you may add both your strength and dexterity mod to the damage.
idk why you thought we would be cool with this
>>
>>48209183
I've always loved the concept of feylock that plays through trickery. Like he might come at the opponent with a warhammer, who blocks appropriately, but at the last second switches it to a dagger and stabs past the block, or a flail, and disarms the opponent.

A fey weaponmaster who really takes advantage of the automatic proficiency applied to all weapons.

Of course, this requires the very reasonable homebrew of allowing weapon switching on a bonus action.
>>
>>48209766
Fiend, Fey, or Undying all work for it.

Fiend: Wants to corrupt you into an ally
Fey: Amused by the games you let it play with you.
Undying: Secretly wants you to kill it in the end.
>>
>>48209951
I figured it was balanced out by the fact it that

A) Wouldn't do much more damage than say, a two-hander unless you have an 18 in both str and dex.

B) Most finesse weapons have a low damage die, highest being a 1d8 from a rapier.

And finally C) This consumes a feat and doesn't give you a +1 to other shit like AC, skills, saving throws, etc. So you're trading out a +2 to your dex/str for example in exchange for the ability to do slightly more damage.
>>
Anyone know if there's a place to get 4e "Encounters" PDFs for free like the Adventurer's League stuff in these megas?
I'm running a session based off of "Beyond the Crystal Caves" and I've got the classic module but not the 4e one.
>>
>>48209858
That's stupid if you are going to pitch a mirror to Defensive Duelist don't make it defensive and offensive at the same time. Especially since Disarm is already a defined action.
>>
>>48209985
I'm more playing her as something that might be a little stupid, but I'm gonna try it anyway:
Strength main offense, Charisma main stat, Dexterity going for 14, and Con above Dex.
>>
>>48210052
But D) it's on top of an ability that lets you not only nullify an attack, but disarm the attacker as well. And it scales with proficiency.

Also:
>As part of a reaction
It either uses your reaction, or it doesn't. "Part of" an action/bonus action/reaction isn't a thing.
>>
What are all the passwords for

http://www.dndadventurersleague.org/adventures/

these days? I only know tiamatlives and prophetaerisi
>>
>>48210095
As for the mirror, I felt it was slightly justified in the fact it requires both a 13 in str/dex and it is limited by a certain number of times per short rest.

However, as >>48210155 said, he makes a good point about the disarming part.

So I have the first part, tell me if this is much more balanced.

>While wielding a finesse weapon you are proficient with, when an enemy attacks and hits you, you may use your reaction to roll a contested attack to attempt to divert the attack. If you roll higher than the attack that hit you, the attack is nullified. You may do this a number of times equal to either your strength or dexterity modifier per short rest, which ever is higher.
>>
>>48210035
If Undying wasn't FUCKING GARBAGE then I would sincerely contemplate it, but holy shit is Undying awful.
>capstone is literally second wind but weaker and you can reattach limbs, which isn't even part of normal combat
>>
>>48210261
That already exists as Defensive Duelist, and I would laugh at you trying to make a better version for yourself using 3.pf design.
>>
>>48210261
>You may do this a number of times equal to either your strength or dexterity modifier per short rest, which ever is higher.
Regardless of balance issues being discussed, you can remove the "whichever is higher" part of that rule. Just letting the player choose which modifier they want to use means that 100% of people will choose the higher number anyway. Remove unnecessary stipulations.
>>
>>48210297
this
>>
>>48210297
So in short, completely cull the first part and change it into something else? Would something like

>When an enemy attacks and misses you, you may use your reaction to attempt to disarm the attacker. You may only use this a certain number of times equal to either your strength or dexterity modifier per short rest.

Be better and less Defensive Duelist territory?

>>48210359
Good point, removed.
>>
>>48210226
The AL adventures are distributed via DMs Guild now. Store owners get them for free but they're held on to a lot more tightly.

You can find all of the ones released so far in the Mega, anyway.
>>
>>48208653
Dis anon got you famalama
>>
>>48210285
Undying would have been so cool if you could have had your limbs operate independently of your main body. So you could have a sneaky hand that sneaks through enemy lines and casts spells.

Sometimes I think wizards is so uptight about balance that they forget to let the classes be cool.
>>
>>48207530
Another player tried to kill my character out of nowhere last night. I won, and he left the group.
>>
>>48210846
Undying could be so much cooler with just a little work, such as changing the heal a HD every time you pass a DST so that it isn't limited, or increasing the Second Wind healing by a bit, or even giving them a bit of Necromancer flair rather than just being a Lich without any of the magic.
>>
One of my players dropped out of my campaign so the rest of my players want me to make a new healer to fill her place. I don't want to make a flashy DMPC that steals the spotlight from the players so how do I make the ideal healslut that just stands in the back healing and throwing out buffs?
>>
>>48210937
It would be better if they didn't just get a cantrip, conditional second wind, a ribbon, and a second wind with a rider that solves a problem with no representation in the rules.

Flavorwise it's really cool but it's just.... Horrible.
>>
>>48210956
Thief with healing kits.
>>
Are there any decently balanced and interesting rules for basic firearms (flintlocks, arquebus, etc) out there?
>>
>>48210956

Create them in the same way your players created their characters, get healing domain and choose the appropriate spells.

If you're making the character at a higher level, look at the starting gold for higher levels table in the DMG
>>
>>48210956
Do they actually need this?
>>
>>48211028
I should clarify that none of my PCs will be building a class around firearms, but I would like to have them available for sidearms and NPCs
>>
>>48210956
Don't make the NPC a human (or dwarf/elf/tiefling/orc/halfling/whatever). Give them a golem with mysterious healing crystal growing out of them, or some kind of dog covered in mushrooms that exude a restorative spore cloud. It can follow orders but isn't really a useful entity outside its role as a healer.

My party travels around with an old agricultural robot (FROM THE ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL CIVILIZATION THAT VANISHED WITHOUT A TRACE, naturally) that heals them with radiation. It's pretty much useless outside of that. Every advantage you might think a robot would have (no need to sleep or eat, resistance to poison and mind attacks) that would make this super useful in problem-solving is covered by caveats like it having to defrag every night when the players sleep or having a bizarre CPU that's somehow affected by magic.
>>
File: NPC_Red_Bulborb.jpg (33 KB, 753x737) Image search: [Google]
NPC_Red_Bulborb.jpg
33 KB, 753x737
>>48211071
>some kind of dog covered in mushrooms that exude a restorative spore cloud
>>
>>48211041
They're all playing characters based entirely around combat so they feel that they need some kind of support.
>>
>>48209858
Just take martial adept and take the Disarm maneuver. Done.
>>
>>48211204
I think you should try not giving your players what they want, or what they feel like they want, sometimes. No offence.

>>48211028
>>48211057
I love Matthew Mercer's Gunslinger and his firearm's misfire mechanism is cool. You should be able to find it on the mega.
>>
>>48210956
Well, go about it the old way. Make them roleplay them hunting down someone from a church, make them pay the NPC, and the NPC gets a half-share of the XP. That's how I always do it.
>>
>>48211028
The ones in the DMG are fine. Firearms don't need to be special.
>>
File: 1452176197653.jpg (207 KB, 1280x1012) Image search: [Google]
1452176197653.jpg
207 KB, 1280x1012
I've been playing a dragonborn rogue for a while, but never had more than an extremely vague backstory. I wrote a more complete backstory after one of the other players gave me a great idea, but it includes some sort of squick-tastic elements. I'm not 100% sure if I should make this the character's backstory.

Could you look over it for me and verify it isn't too much, /5eg/?

http://pastebin.com/aURAasLs
>>
How balanced are the guns in the DMG? I'm running a western themed campaign and but I don't want guns to be the only viable weapon.
>>
Hiya 5e, this might be a bit long, so bear with me, I'm asking for your opinion on how I handled this as a DM, and whether I should've done something differently

I am currently DMing for a group of friends in 5e. So far, I've run 3 sessions, with 5 players, though 3 of them have been in the first two, with all 5 in the last one. One of them plays a 'batman' character, who has strong opinions on being good, and killing evil, while two of them play 'neutral' (Advance myself, disregard others)

Now, in this setting, our chaotic good character has just killed a corrupt priest, out of sight of the group. This leads to events that the chaotic player felt RP-wise, he had to move to fight

The subsequent fights result in the death of chaotic good player. Now, I will be the first to admit that I overtuned the encounter (it is my 3rd session), I try to overturn it, but . I end up letting the character die because the player RPing the chaotic good char already had a second character lined up and he was alright with the char dying.

After that session, I had a long chat with the other players, and explain that I am not running an evil campaign (I did not explicitly state this when I started the game, I assumed default would assume a neutral good game), and that if they should want to play evil, then that is fine, but everyone needs to be evil, not just one or two. The players agree, and one of the neutral asshole's says he'll tweak his char's motivation a bit

I have 3 questions to you, /tg/:

1) Was I wrong for letting that character die? Personally, I liked the character because it gave the party a moral compass (which does not exist anymore), as well as being one of the characters that pushes for action rather than letting them dither.
(cont)
>>
>>48211471
>Madamé Luceile was the head matron at a high-class, multiple-gender brothel.
i kind of stopped reading there but it sounds good
>>
>>48211621
2) How do you DM's deal with 'neutral' parties. A good party allows itself for good story telling, but a neutral/evil party seems to start leading towards everyone being an asshole, and I feel like it ends up with my world/setting just getting wrecked

3) In terms of arguments about player agency: My opinion on topic was that I thought it was great for the CG player to kill the priest, and allowed it, while the 'neutral' players later told me they thought it was wrong and that the character didn't fit with the team because it removed player agency with them (they had to fight earlier than they wanted). My argument was that they had as much agency as they wanted, they could've not helped, they could've turn him in the guards and broke him out later, or any other option, they just didn't think about it.
In the future, should I go with what I am doing now, which is letting players do what is RP-wise correct, at the expense of other players (who don't seem to react), or should I reign it in?
>>
>>48211639
Basically, to summarize:

>Becomes a whore
>One of his clients is a local judge who spouts 18th century liberal philosophy at him (rule of law, reign in power of kings, ect) while not actually fucking or being fucked by him
>Az wants to become a judge because of this, starts saving gold
>Other brothel opens up near the one he works at
>His matron thinks the other brothel is doing something fishy
>Sends him to investigate
>Finds out its actually a front so some Drow can get people to sacrifice
>Receives hefty reward for finding this out, and for not telling everybody that the town guard got upstaged by a 17-year-old prostitute
>Becomes a private investigator
>>
>>48211498
>>48211346
Misfire and reload # are good mechanisms to take guns down a notch.

>creativity time!
I need a cool idea for a "special" pickaxe. What would be a neat enchantment for a miner? Not too strong as the party is on its second level, if possible.

Advantage on Strength (athletism) checks when mining sounds a bit brutish. I'd like something subtle.

Maybe it changes color when *** ? Gas/minerals detection?
>>
>>48211708
Personally I'd find it distasteful, but if your group is okay with it, by all means continue.
>>
>>48211832
Also, it sounds like blatant shitposting fetish b8.

you know the type: the guys that lament they'll never find a big bully to abuse their boipussy.

That's mostly why I find it distasteful. Because I now suspect you're one of those people, and this is the tame version of your magical realm. A young innocent, boy prostitute who goes on plucky adventures.
>>
>>48211680
The party is free to not associate with that character any more.

Sorry, bro, it just didn't work out. Here's your cut of the loot. Try not to get in our way in the future. Peace out.
>>
>>48211854
Yeah, no. I am non-straight but being a prostitute sounds like a fucking nightmare. I would much rather turn to a life of crime if I was desperate for money.

Az absolutely hated his time as a prostitute, but it saved his life, and was directly responsible for the life he lived before he started adventuring. That generates a lot of internal conflict for him. The character has already been extremely uncomfortable around brothels and whores, or even sexual advances made by NPCs in general, so I figured it would provide a good reason.

He's also not a young or innocent boy prostitute. His time whoring removed any innocence almost immediately. He's very hopeful about high ideals like the rule of law or justice, but feels pretty cynical about actual people. He's honestly kind of a fucked-up guy.
>>
>>48211028
DMG?
>>
>>48210066
Have you looked at the OP links?
>>
I need ideas.

Body horror mutations. I've got an idea for a sorcerous origin: The main idea is this:

Level 1: Any time they use sorcery points, they can choose to mutate their body with several positive, but completely freaky looking, mutations. They can use these features once per short rest.

Levels 6,14,and 18 just had more powerful mutations.

Additionally, any time after using one of these features, the DM can let them regain a use of the features, by making them roll on a random mutation chart.

So what are some ideas for mutations that are either beneficial or harmful, but always scary?
>>
just got into D&D.... any good novels out there i should read ?
>>
>>48212109
Not any written in the last decade or so, no.
>>
>>48212109
Yeah, a lot of the new ones aren't very good.

However; the Dragonlance novels from 20 years ago are still pretty interesting. I also like the Cities series from Forgotten Realms, especially The City of Ravens by Richard Baker. The first 13 or so Drizzt novels are good/okay; drop them after that. Next, read the Cleric Quintet, which is all good, pretty much.

There's a buttload of other ones, but that's about the max that I've read so far.
>>
>>48211680

1. No, people dying just happened some times, it was a logical consequence of his character's choices

2. Neutral/evil parties still have motivations outside of their alignment, Harold itlerstache might not want to see his kingdom fall to the orc hordes, although he's more willing to sacrifice others to achieve this than a good character he'd be fucking stupid to weaken his own means(the party) of doing so.
If the entire group is evil you might just want to give them a common goal that's in all of their best interests to achieve, evil characters are inherently more selfish, play to that.

3. If it's clear or they make it clear why they're doing something, let them do it, if they want to do something like attacking the king in his castle and they seemingly have no particular IC reason for doing so, ask them why, specifically, they're doing this dumbshit thing that is liable to get the group killed, if they insist on doing it, let them, then ask the other players if they involve themselves in the fight, and if so, on which side. Honestly, you could probably rocksfall him to save time if it's completely clear that he won't win this hypothetical engagement that is OOC for him.
>>
File: playtest sorcerer.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
playtest sorcerer.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48212073
peep the sorcerer from the playtest which i'll attach. it had you turn into a dragon as you went on casting spells.
>>
>>48212351
Huh. Not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it's weird, because I'm so accustomed to 5e now. On the other, though, it actually seems interesting, because it is different.

Plus, you get to become a dragon, which is fun.
>>
>>48212465
well you don't need to copy it wholesale, but the idea of depleting your spell resource slowly transforming you also appealed to me.
>>
>>48212516
>>48212351
This was my inspiration actually for the abbe ration sorc I'm making.

I'm trying to simplify the counting aspects though, and convert it to the current sorc.

Basically, the rule will be like this:

Level 1: When you've used 2 sorcery points, choose a mutation below, and you gain it. This mutation lasts until you finish a short rest and regain your sorcery points.

Level 6: When you've used 6 sorcery points, you gain a mutation from below, it lasts. blah blah

Level 14: 14 sorc points for a mutation

Level 18: 18 sorc points for a mutation.

Another way is the one I listed in the previous post.
>>
Where can I learn about Eberon? What's a good place to start?
Is there any content for it in 5E yet?
>>
>>48212749
Pop open the 3.5e Eberron Campaign Setting book and start reading. Five Nations is a good one for in-depth lore of each of the main countries.

As for mechanical content, you'll have to search for homebrew outside the DMs Guild. Otherwise there's just the Eberron UA.
>>
>>48201832
>The opposite applies to Thrown ranged weapons. All ranged weapons are Dex, but Thrown MAY be used with STR.
No, that's still called Finesse. Reference: Darts, but not Nets.

>>48202811
>Wizards is pretty retarded. Just ignore shit like that and Demilich's resistance against magical weapons.
They resist magic weapons to make up for their terribly low HP. They also have evasion everything. The few things that bypass those defenses fuck them up, though. No need to nerf them.

>>48207530
>Do you do PvP ever? what are your experiences with it?
Topical! Though I suppose that's natural.

>>48203120
Any level 14 paladin could prepare and cast remove curse, and there's nothing you could do to stop that. Oath of Devotion paladins are also just flatly immune to it. Charm is a pretty mild condition to impose on a party member anyway. It's like using Detect Thoughts on someone. Rude, not dangerous.

>>48208490
I believe the intention is that it is an illusion, a magical effect, that is treated as a creature when appropriate. I don't think cure wounds is an appropriate time to treat it as a normal creature.

The spell really leaves a lot vague, implied, or just confusing. Maybe cure wounds is supposed to work. I don't think it's possible to know. Certainly, I don't see anything that distinguishes whether spells that target creatures work on it or not. So technically, it is roughly as valid a target for Cure Wounds as it is for Vampiric Touch.
>>
>>48213029
>It's like using Detect Thoughts on someone. Rude, not dangerous.
If you peeked into my mind and could see even a glimpse of my thoughts, YOU would be the one in danger. A high level warlock might survive, but a lesser mind would be toast. And a paladin would reel from the things they would see. Some things are too dark for the light.
>>
>>48209094
>Mike Mearls answer.
>UA material feature.
I'm not even sure it works on searing, branding, and banishing smite, because the spells do not deal damage when you cast them. But yes, if it does work it should work on divine favor too.
>>
>>48209160
Vallejo is good, but I've no idea about the sets because I have built up lots of paint over time.
If you cover the basics, they mix well - and with painting individuals it doesn't matter so much about mixing colours (not like you need to recreate a uniform colour for your army regularly)
Pick some brown for undercoating, and leather, get some forest green for elfy cloaks and greys for metals and stone. Flesh colour, bone colour, blood colour, black and white (for highlighting and mixing as much as anything).
Then colours as you need em. Good luck with it, I hope you enjoy painting!
>>
>>48207530
Had a player contract lycanthropy so when he turned I let him control the werewolf and he fought they party was fun
>>
Had two players join from two different campaigns set in the same world hunting the BBEG for completely different reasons. Once they foiled his plot the had difficulties reaching an agreement on how the villain should be dealt with. One wanted to allow him to repent for his crimes, the other needed him dead to settle his debts.
They fought over it for a bit before one conceeded to the other (Paladins OP).
>>
>simulacrum is an illusion spell
>illusion school of wizardry lets you recast illusion spells for free
>simulacrum can cast wish

You don't even need to use the infinite simulacrum exploit.

Just use your level 6 illusion feature to change the parameters of the simulacrum to you again. Its spell slots refresh, and you can cast wish an infinite number of times.
>>
>>48210984
>cantrip, conditional second wind, a ribbon, and a second wind with a rider
Sanctuary against undead could be appropriate in the right campaign.

Conditional Second Wind isn't even right though. It's Cure Wounds (1st level), self only, once per day, conditionally. Basically, increase your max HP by one hit die. Maybe. Fucking worthless.

The rest is spot on.
>>
>>48213412
I'm sure that was the intended use of simulacrum. Doubling your character. That's why it specifically says it can't regain spell slots right?
>>
Had the first session of my first campaign earlier today. If nothing else the people playing are very varied
>GM is a very polite and mild mannered british software dev
>Middle-aged dude who's been playing since 2e, has some difficulties with English and seems to have never touched a computer before
>The Ukrainian who only spoke at times of great need and who also was the only one who I believe the DM didn't think was a complete idiot, but in true british fashion he didn't say anything
>Normie American teen
>Me, the 4chan autist playing using a fake name
>>
How would you stat out a greatshield or a tower shield, /5eg/?
>>
>>48213740

1d4 bludgeoning damage
>>
>>48213740
Grants AC as if you have three quarters cover, grants stealth disadvantage
>>
>>48213740
I have tower shields in my campaign as +3 AC at the cost of -10ft speed while wielded (because it's like 50 pounds held by one arm). It also gives three-quarters-cover to creatures behind the wielder.

The fighter in the group has taken it and accepts the speed penalty, it seems to be a decent trade-off.
>>
>>48213786
Speaking of cool shields, I play a Mercer Gunslinger in a campaign, and the DM let me make a shield with a gun mount, which pretty much lets me shield and two hand two-handed guns at the same time.
>>
How do mind flayers create armies of thralls in this edition? They have dominate monster 1/day and that's it
>>
Does anyone know of a good service for instant messaging for D&D?

My friends and I are going to play using Tabletop Simulator.

Don't really want to use Skype.
>>
>>48207530
I'm normally a perma-DM, but the store owner of the LGS runs D&D campaigns as well. A mutual friend of ours came back to our area for a visit and mentioned wanting to play D&D.

The owner set up a scheme where our friend, another friend of ours, and I made a 3 man group that was supposed to fight against his players. I made up a group consisting of a lore bard, ancients paladin, and moon druid for us. His players were a champion fighter, a life cleric, a moon druid, an evoker wizard, and a wild magic sorcerer. The bard and druid of my group were the same level as the normal PCs, and then the paladin was 3 levels higher. I did not know the makeup of the opposing group other than mentions of a wizard when I made the characters.

The DM explained that we were coming from a defenders-of-the-wild type of group that his players had pissed off in a previous session. The pyromaniac wizard was to be our primary target. The group was traveling through the territory of a green dragon, and I was told ahead of time that the dragon would interrupt our encounter, and that I was to play up the dragon as a bigger threat, giving them a chance to join forces temporarily to deal with the dragon.

We all sat down around the table in the shop, and my group acted like we were going to be joining up with the regulars temporarily until we were introduced in-game. The paladin charged in concentrating on thunderous smite. He critically hit the wizard, using divine smite, and knocked him into making death saving throws immediately. I was high on initiative as the lore bard, so I went in concentrating on invisibility until I casted fear on the group. The fighter of all people, as well as the druid, passed the saving throw on the fear. Our druid got into the fray concentrating on Conjure Animals. The DM actually allowed him to summon 2 giant octopi on land.

cont.

Having turned the fight from 5 on 3 to 3 on 2, we proceeded to kick the crap out of the regular
>>
>>48214059
Discord has been pretty good for my groups the last few months.
>>
>>48214064
cont.

Having turned the fight from 5 on 3 to 2 on 5 (counting the summons) we kicked the crap out of the regular group. Our moon druid turned into a dire wolf, so our paladin had plenty of support to land attacks. The cleric and sorcerer eventually broke out of fear, but we had the fighter and wizard down before they got back into the fight. The DM let the sorcerer roll the wild magic stuff on every cast and he ended up turning into a potted plant for several turns. The regular moon druid turned into a lion and kept chasing after me, only landing a single hit on me in 4 rounds because of cutting words. The cleric casted mass healing word, and they got really excited about him casting fireball on my group, which ended up doing 9 damage total between the ancients paladin aura and all of us passing our saving throws.

When we gave the regulars a chance to join us against the dragon, they kept attacking us even though they apparently had been warned about a dragon in the area, so my group bailed while I dropped a stinking cloud on the survivors.

End result was 2 of the regular PCs dead, while my group was untouched. The DM really underestimated how stupid his group was, but wasn't unhappy with the result either.
>>
>>48211727
>Maybe it changes color when *** ? Gas/minerals detection?
Glows with magical light when it is in total darkness. Color changes depending on presence of something in the radius of the light, like poisonous gasses make the light turn green, and hostile creatures (or a specific type of creature, like kobolds or drow) cause the light to change red. May function as a weapon of warning or have the Guardian minor property (+2 on initiative).
>>
>>48208454
Arcana clerics can get it though. Also magic initiate is a thing.
>>
>>48212465
Yeah. The early playtest sorc and warlock showed they were looking at going in completely different directions.
Which explains why Mearls was pushing so hard in saying "A class should not exist unless it is significantly different from other classes."
Though rumor has it there was huge backlash about this, because people wanted the "traditional classes" to be as they always were.
>>
>>48212737
You don't have sorcery points at level 1. Your sorcery points cap is equal to your level, so each new mutation would only kick in after you've spent all of them. You recover sorcery points on a long rest, not short rest. The whole thing is probably easier to do (but still takes accounting) if you also use spell points instead of spell slots. It's in the DMG.
>>
>>48213089
>Some things are too dark for the light.
Please. We're on 4chan. There may be children present.
>>
>>48214001
Fear will keep them in line. Also Intellect Devourers. They can't turn a PC into a thrall, at least not in the middle of combat, so it isn't in their stat block.
>>
>>48213104
If you base it on rulings for how the draconic sorcerer and evoker wizard features work, you would add charisma to one roll of the spells in question. Divine favor and searing smite wouldn't get the charisma bonus on every instance of damage.
>>
>>48214120

I'll look into it, thank you.
>>
>>48214244
Yah but Arcana Clerics aren't frontline you'd be better off just firebolting someone. And why waste a feat on a single dubious cantrip?

GFB is limited by needing to make a weapon attack roll i.e. using STR/DEX instead of spellcasting ability
>>
>>48214765
Depends on the ability scores you're running with. Clerics either get Divine Strike, which has synergy with GFB, or they get Potent Spellcasting. You could potentially have a shillelagh'd up Cleric getting a lot of damage out of GFB compared to any other cantrip.
>>
Shouldn't the Revenant subrace make them Undead?
>>
Can you really call your homebrew setting a D&D homebrew if you kick out Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, and half-races?
>>
>>48215073
Not really, IMO. Then, its just a fantasy setting.
>>
How do learn basics of being a DM? I've wanted to try it for years and my friends are finally going to let me.
>>
>>48215139
That's kind of how I feel about it. But I don't have an ecological or societal or cultural niche where angelic elves, gruff dwarves, and fat halflings fit, and there isn't interbreeding in the setting. I have Humans, Orcs, and Gnomes, and I've been combing through player character races to see if there's anything else that might fit though.
>>
>>48215195
Pretend that you know everything, proceed to ad-hoc anything.
>>
>>48215269
Simple, but to the point, I like it.

Now I just need to figure out how to set stuff up on roll20 because that's what they want to use.
>>
Trying to access the glorious mega trove, but MEGA appears to be stuck on 'decrypting folder data'. Any advice?
>>
>>48215318
Try a different browser.
>>
>>48215195
Step 1: Fucking learn the game as much as you can. Literally everything. Read those bitch books four times each if you need to.

Step 2: Write stuff. Even if you use a published modules (which will be discussed in Step 3), you have to prepare shitloads.

Step 3: Accept the fact that your players will either destroy everything you write or ignore it completely.

Step 4: Ask your players what they want out of the game. I ask for 3 things each player wants to do and/or explore and/or experience throughout the campaign. Setting is made to fit.

Step 5: Remember this phrase: "The Settings drives the Characters that drives the Plot". Prepare Setting, not Story. The Story gets told by the PCs. Your setting includes all the NPCs, their resources, personalities, the history, everything else.

Step 6: When the PCs derail your NPCs plans, don't get upset. Allow them to be awesome, occasionally. Your NPCs and the Setting, though, should be able to challenge them, possibly to the point of breaking and beyond.

Resources: The 5e DMG is great; watch Critical Role; there's lots of youtube videos out there with advice.
>>
>>48215496
Thanks!

Now I need to figure out how the hell roll20 works (only way I can get these four to play).
>>
>>48215578
It's actually fairly easy; I'd get on there, mess around with it for a few hours. Maybe see if you can get someone on there to test things out as a player with you.

The most annoying thing I've found about it is putting in monster stats. Takes a good long while.
>>
>>48215609
I'm just trying to figure out how I actually make maps. Once I get that figured out I should be on a roll.
>>
>>48207530
Way back before 3e, I was a kid so I don't remember the edition, but it was definitely before 3e. I was playing a Paladin. I was the sole melee in a party of wizards.
So we wiped the floor with some encounter or other and in the loot pile is a magical intelligent sword. As the only melee I was elected to take the sword.
Turns out the sword was ridiculously evil and overwhelmingly powerful, so I became an extension of the sword and killed much of the party before they took me down.
Good times.
>>
>>48213606
Would it have any unintended negative effects to instead have Simulacrum say "nor can it regain
things normally restored through short or long rests."?
>>
>>48215645
Oh, jeez. Making maps sucks giant monkey balls. You're better off hunting down lots of maps that are already made and using those.

Are you running a specific adventure?
>>
>>48215609
If you use the Shaped v2 sheet and the 5e SRD Compendium, you can instantly drag and drop many of the monster sheets and they'll autofill. Same for spells.
>>
>>48215759
Yeah, I know; unfortunately, that didn't exist when I created the campaign I'm currently running...so, I'm stuck, since I did literally all of it already. >.<
>>
File: 2016-07-11-0304-18.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-11-0304-18.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>48215609
>>
>>48215683
cursed items are awesome, way more deadly and cool in earlier editions
>>
>>48215717
I'm actually using their adventure to flesh out a novel I'm working on.

I'm putting them in the setting, setting them along the initial story and letting them decide where it moves from there.

The idea will be
>The four of them arrive in the capital city at the same time and find out they were all hired by the brother of the Queen
>He gives them a mission to retrieve some technology that was stolen by the Queen's errant wizard brother
>Technology turns out to be a machine that will bind the souls of people put into it to a metal golem

Ideally, I'd like them to decide whether to give the tech to the Queen or the Lord General (the one who hired them) and spark a civil war, but I'm preparing for the chance that they keep it for themselves.
>>
>>48215819
I understand, I'm in the same situation. But I don't think much would have to be made, since most monsters are in the SRD, so replacing most sheets would be done in a matter of minutes. Remaking NPC and PC sheets, though... I tried to convince my players to switch over, but they didn't wanted, said they were accustomed to the old one. Filling in spells is still such a bitch.
>>
I wanna make a prestige class that's Paladin only (story reasons!). Its a specific prestige class only available to paladins of a specific god, a god of virtue and paladins. I realize, though, I have no idea how to make a prestige class.
>>
>>48215925
Yeah...

To complicate matters, I'm running a conversion of a PF AP, so the majority of the monsters are custom anyway.
>>
>>48216008
just make an archetype. loads easier than making a prestige class in 5e.
>>
>>48216192
Yeah, I would; however, as part of the campaign, they won't discover this prestige class until they meet a spirit of the last one that had this prestige class. They'll be level 4-7 at that time. I could just go "lulz, retrain", but that's boring.
>>
>>48216258
That sounds way too specific to be worth brewing for, since there's a 99% chance that none of your players take a single level of it and your effort goes to waste.
>>
>>48216258
Stop coming up with ideas in terms of abstract game rule concepts from an entirely different game and then working down from there, and instead start coming up with ideas in a way that makes sense within the fiction and then afterwards look at how the game you're currently playing deals with similar issues.

Look at how things like Vampires and Liches are done within the rules and come up with something similar.
>>
>>48216258
why not just give them story related traits and bonuses? No real harm in giving the players extra perks.
>>
>>48216258
What is the purpose of this prestige class? What would your players gain by taking it? Why can't it just be a feat or some other sort of boon?
>>
>>48216258
Just make it a powerful magic item or something. Something one of the players can take to gain the benefits of you "prestige class" at the cost of an attunement slot.
>>
>>48216731
The issue with something like this is that I do not want to grant only a single player a boon, while the others get nothing; the point of a prestige class is to give the player that wants to a reward, without it overshadowing the rest of the party.
>>
>>48216008
You're going to be disappointed either when the player wants to keep building as they have built, or when your prestige class ends up not working the way you thought. You're better off providing boons from the god and not interfering with the way the player builds the character.

Make a magic item that grants the mechanics you want to try out. Or just give the PC extra abilities.
>>
>>48217089
Then have the god grant the abilities as blessings to each person willing to meet the prerequisites you were going to set. Either players are going to feel forced to pick your "option" or you're going to be disappointed if no one wants to use it.
>>
Roll20 confuses me.

>Testing out NPC rolls
>Getting rolls that are way too high for what it is
A Skeleton copied from the SRD with a shortsword shouldn't be rolling 20s in both hit AND damage, right?
>>
>>48217380
Nevermind, I'm a retard!
>>
>>48217380
Print? In any case, you can edit the rolls and see what's wrong. Damage should be 1d6 + something
>>
>>48208653
This Is awesome. I'm gonna use this to build dungeons the party stumbles into randomly, or ones I feel too lazy to design myself.
>>
>>48217365
That is perhaps the best route. I've got months before it becomes important, however.
>>
>>48217323
>>48217089
Here's a compromise suggestion. The item which holds the spirit bound to this world is slowly losing its connection. They can invest a level to become a new vessel for the spirit, starting onto the prestige class by retaining the abilities of the item when it eventually breaks apart.
>>
>>48217708
Only complete newbies go into a game without an idea for a character build. No one really thinks, "Oh I want to disrupt my character idea to try out the DM's pet project," unless it is blatantly overpowered.
>>
>>48217478
Yeah I figured it out, forgot that the thing I was using does 2 d20 rolls and tells you to pick one based on advantage, then you click the weapon to get the damage roll.
>>
So im moving forward with my vietnam war themed canpaign ideas. Gnomes will be using gyrocopters, complete with a human whobthinks hes a gnome called tootall. For not m60s how does

Automatic crossbow
30/60
Targets in cone must make dex saving throw or take 1d6 dmg.
At long range targets have advantage on the save. Targets take half damage on a save.

Im not sure in the range but ill change it to regular crossbow range when i check that.
Maybe make a heavy version that needs one turn to set up and does 1d8?
>>
>>48217913
pump it up to d10 and make it take a turn to set up and a full round to reload.
>>
>>48217913
Okay
Range will instead be 80/320
Light crossbow is 1d8 so in making

Light Automatic Crossbow
Range 80/320
1d8 or half on a save
Targets make a saving throw of 8+prof+dex. Take half on a success.
Special

Heavy Automatic Crossbow
Range 100/400
1d10 or half on a save
Same saving throw
Special

Special
Automatuc weapons require careful care to use and maintain. An automatic crossbow may fire for a number of rounds equal to the user's dex mod (min 1) before needing to be reloaded. This loading cannot be overridden by crossbow expert, and takes a full action.

I also might make bigger mounted auto xbows that deal d12 but those shoudnt be a thing for the pcs to keep maybe use in a siege of notkhesan type thing.

I also want extra attack to stack with this so fighters can spray the area 4 times then action surge. Itll let me human (elven) wave them more often.
>>
Is there literally any reason for a monk to take a feat at 4th over increasing dex?
>>
>>48218169
You rolled an 18 for Dex at character creation and played a +2 Dex race.
>>
Can you make me feel better about my players shit RP skill? Tell me about your own players being terrible.

>player constantly talking about fighting being about honor and fair combat
>literally 2 minutes later attempts to murder a sleeping creature
>>
>>48218169
RP reasons?
Not everyone is about min/maxing
>>
>>48218153
Maybe let them set up to give targets dis on save? Or to ignore dis on prone enemies?
Aso how do i discribe these ranges as cones?
>>
>>48218297
I no longer play with this group, but there was the guy that would try to cause as many problems in party as possible. Stealing from other PCs, picking fights, and even going so far as to have his character switch religions for no reason just to worship a god counter to the party Cleric.

Then there was a group that kicked me out because the party rogue stole from my paladin immediately after them meeting, who caught her and wanted to turn her in to the guard. The group accused me of causing problems, in that case.

Then there was the DM who spent an hour at his computer on D&D forums to figure out how to counter a player's planar travel to escape from his forced enslavement by Asmodeus.
>>
If I cast disguise self, I can make a longsword look like a dagger, right? Is there any mechanical advantage to having a half-invisible weapon?
>>
File: 1386036476062.jpg (284 KB, 727x1028) Image search: [Google]
1386036476062.jpg
284 KB, 727x1028
> want to make Alchemist
> go to wizard
> Transmutation School blows
fuck
Is there an official Alchemist class yet? I didn't notice one in the UAs or Sword Coast companion.
>>
>>48218596
Man that makes me want an Alchemist class based off Plague Knight from Shovel Knight...
>>
>>48218596
>Is there an official Alchemist class yet?
No.
>>
>>48218588
I don't think you change the size category of anything on your person, so the size change wouldn't be enough to grant advantage on its own. And in any case, the first interaction witj your weapon woild reveal it to be an illusion.
>>
>>48218596
Negative. I honestly doubt they will make one, but i really hope they make one too.
>>
>>48218297
Was playing for this story.
>getting railroaded into starting cos
>no prior talk about what kind of game it would be
>you all meet in a tavern
>playing halfelf druid nerd
>golaith bard..
>fuck of i know. He was forgetable.
>get note from creepy messenger telling me to go to baravia.
>decide o follow the obvoius rails
>get told i cant leave until morning
>try to rp and get to know what everyone is playing
>que 1hr irl of me talking to every npc in the bar because everyone else had set their minis while i took a piss so i had know idea who the party was.
>whenever dm asked the other 2 if they wanted to do anything they said "i drink some mead lol"
>ave to ask eery fucking npc to accompany me on my journey
>"fuck baravia" -every npc
>"sure." -golaith bard
>"uh yeah ill go with you anon (my name not the chars."
>wake up to leave
>everyone is dead
>try to leave
>other 2 decise to dawdle looting dead bodies after i told them not to be retarded end up with us getting 2-3 levels of exhaustion each
>go into woods
>short rest
>crit on a religion check to pray to nature god (dont get me started)
>trees come to life and make me a hammock
>wake up
>owlbear (as 1st level pcs)
>bullshit my way into making it think im its long lost cousin
>feed it dead bodies dumbass 1 and 2 took with us.
>end up with completly feral owlbear pet that didnt end up eating people.
>game falls apart because dm is a drama queen and everyone went home for the summer.

Shit i wrote this and rreailesed that their were 3 other people. Goliath bard had a brother who played a male human fighter.
>>
>>48218655
He doesn't want to change the size category. He wants to make it -look- like a dagger.

Yes, the first time you swing your dagger and hit a bitch it will reveal that it's an illusion - When blade that is illusioned to not look like it's there suddenly chops into the bitch.
>>
>>48218297
out Honor and Fair Combat him. then after he's beaten, attempt to murder him in his sleep (use God or demi-god for better effect)

After that scour /tg/ and tell us when he posts a That GM thread..
>>
>>48218655
Weapons don't have size categories, and the only thing Disguise Self has to say is that you can change your apparent height by up to 1 foot. Crucially, Disguise Self has no text regarding illusions becoming faint if discerned, unlike every other illusion spell, so even if an enemy realises the dagger is not what it seems, they still can't see through the illusion.
>>
>>48218596
There are a few good homebrews about.

>>48218693
I think they'll make one eventually; I don't doubt that, at some point in the future, there will be a Eberron campaign. It's simply too popular to ignore.
>>
>>48218596
Trans spells are some of the best spells though; shitty focus gets best spells. It balances.
>>
File: Skeletor.jpg (38 KB, 399x320) Image search: [Google]
Skeletor.jpg
38 KB, 399x320
>>48218297
>first time DM
>players were four of my friends and two other guys one of them dragged along
>thought 'the more the merrier'
>kinda nervous, but I try my damnedest to intrigue them with my story and npcs
>they make good progress and we had some fun combat
>felt really happy with how the session went
>next day, I get told that one of the two new guys won't be returning
>but why
>he thinks that 'roleplaying is awkward' and he had hoped there wouldn't be any of that at all
>>
If a spell has a range, does the caster have to stay within range for the duration? What if it requires concentration? I'm talking things like Bless, Bane, Haste, Blindness, etc.
>>
File: original[1].jpg (38 KB, 269x187) Image search: [Google]
original[1].jpg
38 KB, 269x187
>>48218854
>>
>>48218854
Tell them to go fuck themselves and you find yourself some more players!
>>
>>48218936
>>48218854
Or stick with 5. 5 is more than enough for a first-time DM.
You've got one less player to worry about now, >>48218925
>>
>>48218986
I missed the fact that he said four previously.

Damn you wonderful pain drugs!
>>
>>48218936
>>48218986
It was some time ago, never saw that guy again.
But yeah, I've found that 4 or 5 is the optimal number of players.
>>
>>48218922
If it doesn't say Concentration you don't have to maintain it
>>
>>48218728
>there will be a Eberron campaign.
Eberron is Artificer, not Alchemist.
>>
>>48218596
Alchemy is covered in an item kit you can get proficiency in.
>>
>>48218922
90% sure you don't. If you use the Ready action with a spell you only have to be in range when it goes off, I'd assume it's the same way here. Witch Bolt also specifies you have to stay within 30 ft., which is the range anyway.
>>
>>48218596
refluff spells as alchemy
>>
>>48218214
Yeah, I figured as much.

>>48218317
I'm the best roleplayer in an incredibly light-on-RP playgroup. This is mostly just asking if there's some fun feat that works especially well on monks, but I'm not seeing it.
>>
Just starting as a DM.

A bandit camp with 8 guys in it should be fine for 3 level 1s that are new, right?
>>
>>48219652
Defensive Duelist is pretty good, I think 99% of the time maxing DEX is the way to go though.
>>
File: Winding Down.jpg (64 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
Winding Down.jpg
64 KB, 736x547
>>48219745
It can work out, but it can also go awry. Level 1 is the hardest to make encounters for because it usually boils down to a handful of unlucky or lucky dice rolls to determine a fight. If it were a party of 4 or 5 you would be solid but a party of 3 may fail depending on how well the party works together as well as how well crafted their characters and party are. If it were something like 4 CR 1/4 creatures you would be a bit better off since there would be less enemies to cut the party down and possibly kill them.

With that all said, what is the party composition?
>>
>>48219745
Try using http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

If you throw 8 bandits at them all at once, they're fucked. If you split them up a bit, especially to where they can have a breather or some prep time between, they should be fine--unless they're unlucky.
>>
>>48219865
>>48219847
Well, ideally, they SHOULD be trying to sneak through the camp and take out the guards one by one. The bandits are pretty spread out through the camp and if they take them out fast enough, the most they'll end up fighting is two at a time.

As for the party, they haven't informed me of their characters yet, but I believe there will be a paladin at least.
>>
>>48207971
What about a level 5+ Oath of the Ancients Paladin?
>>
>>48219865
>>48219847
>>48219745
It's important to remember that most level one groups have very little in the way of healing options, if any at all - a long adventuring day, even with a short rest, can wipe them right out!
What I would do is give them some non- combat way of disabling some of the bandits, so they only 'fight' a few, but deal with all of them. Of course, this relies on them taking that route, which can be hard to predict if they overestimate their strength
>>
>>48219913
If all goes well, the party should come across the camp at night and be smart enough to disable the torches around the camp in a way that will make it easy to ambush the guards and get what they need from the camp.
>>
>>48219961
never EVER assume the players are smart enough to do ANYTHING
>>
>>48219961
>>48220259 is right generally, because there's about a 10-25% chance the players will fuck up even the simplest strategy or puzzle. But this is more complex than that, it seems like so many things could go wrong and especially as new players I would rather expect them to /not/ put out the torches than to do so. Unless you give heavy hints and stuff but that's the bad kind of railroading.
>>
>>48220259
>Be the DM
>"Hey guys, DM mentioned that we were missing some of the treasure caches in dungeons, so we should start searching this place thoroughly."
>Says this literally the moment he moves his character past a cache without checking there.

Players are the most hilarious morons ever.
>>
>>48220259
>>48220336
Hmm... I do want them to hit level 2... should I halve the amount of bandits and increase the EXP they give, or maybe have some of the bandits be on the outskirts of camp?
>>
>>48219652
>fun feat that works especially well on monks
Mobile, anon. Extra movement plus free Disengage on whatever creature you attack, which can be up to 4 after 5th level. You don't even need to hit.
>>
>>48220400
I'm quite biased towards milestone exp, and for early levels it makes a lot of sense since it's supposed to take 1 session to get to 2 and then another to get to 3. Some bandits being in the outskirts sounds good, or have the encounter by dynamic so if the PCs listen in or wait a while some of them will leave to patrol etc. Having rewards for all kinds of different playstyles is generally a good idea, especially if you don't know what the players/their characters are like.
>>
>>48220400
you could make the bandits and this camp an ongoing mission. they encounter a small group (3-5) bandits. if they interrogate them, they can get information directly on the base. if they kill them have them find a note leading to a small encampment of bandits.

let them decide and decide how much these milestones are worth. either way, have them run into patrols on the way to either one. but the time they get there, they should be level 2 and have better options.

just build from there. just because its early game doesnt mean it has to be a throw away. bandits can level up too afterall
>>
>>48220620
>>48220660
Thanks guys, I think I know how to tailor it.

They need to kill the leader of this bandit group because he has the key to the first actual dungeon that is part of the "main story" (trying to not railroad, just have a general plot I want them to try and follow). Now that I think about it, they should definitely have to work towards getting into his camp and taking him on.

I might actually delay the encounter until they hit level 3 so I can power him up a little bit.
>>
>>48220683
>trying to not railroad
As long as you don't predict their actions in any large ways it's fine, railroading isn't fundamentally bad. Just know what's going on in the world and the reasons for it, and as the PCs interact the world can respond dynamically, don't treat it like a video game and try to get it back on the rails if the players do do something unexpected.. What people will remember is what they did, their character story, and engaging with that is your best bet to create a fun and memorable campaign.
>>
>>48220683
>>48220933
Remember, passengers on a train you should never see the rails. If they do, the train is crashing.
>>
http://www.enworld.org/forum/5earchetypes/showentry.php?e=68&catid=searchresults&searchid=3014

Balance opinions/suggestions? A player wants to emulate Tarzan.
>>
>>48221002
It seems pretty weak since without tavern brawler your unarmed attacks deal 1 + str damage and improvised weapons deal only 1d4 + str. Other than rp reasons there is no reason to pick this over another archetype since the feral trance actually nerfs your damage significantly.
>>
>>48221160
So it is not op? That is my primary concern.
>>
I don't see much about Barbarians in 5e. What is the general opinion about them?
>>
>>48221227
They kick ass. Good tanks. Good damage dealers.
>>
>>48221267
At first glance they seem to be one of the few classes where every ability is good.
>>
>>48221344
There's a few that aren't as great as they seem, but overall Barbarians excel at their job.
>>
>>48221344
The most underwhelming I think is the STR check minimum one, for its level anyway. There are some really flavorful and cool features, some I'd even argue are stolen from the ranger (fast reactions against dex saves and initiative advantage) to great effect on that side.
>>
>>48221002
Gives you good stuff to do with your bonus action. Dash is awesome. Good mobility and flavor. Level 14 is weak but I like it.
>>
How does the unearthed arcana spear mastery feat hold up in play or compare to the other feats?
>>
Denied a rogue his sneak attack bonus because he didn't know which die to use. Been playing for half a year now and the player still hasn't read the book. Was I in the right?
>>
>>48221838
Yes.
>>
>>48221804

Its fairly solid and turns a spear into a martial weapon and gives a small use for bonus action and a good use for a reaction. It wont make spears as dominate as GWM and PAM but its fairly useable
>>
>>48221838

Im willing to bet this isnt the first time this player has done something stupid and made the DM groan right?
>>
>>48221892
Thought so. I tried apologizing afterwards just to be on the safe side, but he played dumb about it.

>>48221907
Yeah, but this was probably the worst. The only excuse offered was "you didn't tell me to write it down."

Is there any fucking way I can get my players to even glance at the book? They don't need to read the whole thing, only the parts directly relevant to them.
>>
>>48215837
Different anon here but I tried that and it didn't work! I'm going to see if I can add stuff like that. It had to be a fluke or something!

*tries it* Ho-lee-fuck...
>>
Is there any real reason to go Goliath over Half-orc or Dwarf, as a barbarian?
>>
>>48221987
A desire to be tall. A desire to be able to carry your entire party. Knowing the campaign is set in a cold climate. A greater chance to see over walls. Goliaths are more well-respected than abominable Half-Orcs.
>>
>>48221838
thats just sad. you were in the right.
>>
>>48221987
this >>48222022 plus stones endurance is actually really good.
>>
>>48221987

The damage negation thing is pretty neat and compares good to the Orcs bonus crit damage. Mountain Dwarves bonus armor proficiency is wasted since most classes that love a +2 Str already have it
>>
>>48221948
Tell them to do it and you're not going to help them play their own characters anymore. If you don't know how to sneak attack you can't sneak attack.
>>
I'm away from my books at the moment and I just had a thought. Do the rules of mounted combat say anything against riding another player if you're a Halfling or can I ride around with a lance on the Barbarians head?
>>
>>48222518
I did that two months ago when they wanted to be magic users without reading how magic works. It didn't help, and I still had to hold their hand through character creation.
>>
>>48222557
Refuse to do it. A wise man once said no group is better than a awful group.
>>
>>48222557
We have 1 player out of the 5 in our group like that, after two years he still doesn't remember what his attack bonus is for the same character etc., basically they're casuals and that's not going to change. You either have to talk to them and compromise, deal with it or find someone else to play with. I would personally hate it, it's frustrating enough to lead one player through the game and watch him fail at the mechanical part of the game, at least he is very creative and a great roleplayer though.
>>
>>48222557
Just tell them that all the material they need is in the PHB and that's that. If they don't have the motivation to do the one thing every player should do, then they don't deserve to play at all.
>>
>>48222572
>>48222591

If I could have told him to fuck off already I would have, but we're all friends. If he left, he'd take another play with him and leave the one guy that actually made attempts to read the material for two months before another player can come back.

I can tell they want to have fun, they're just lazy and want every little thing spoonfed to them every time we play. These guys are so damn lazy they're being evicted for not mowing their lawn and pay me to take their trash every few weeks.

>>48222590
It'd be fine if they would even attempt to roleplay, but they don't. I honestly don't know why they're playing.

Should I legitimately give up on the hobby and stop wasting my time if all but one of my players can't be assed to read the rules?
>>
>>48222623
Honestly I would ask them to take a break for a couple of weeks and if you miss playing then get the group back together and if not tell them you're not interested in it any more. Another option would be to look at another simple rules light RPG. A bunch of my old friends wanted to play but didn't want to read all them rules so I taught them Risus which is 6 page long, can be used in any setting and has easy rules.
>>
>>48222623
>Should I legitimately give up on the hobby and stop wasting my time if all but one of my players can't be assed to read the rules?
no but you should find a group who actually cares
>>
>>48222657
I'll give it a shot. Hilariously they've expressed interest in DMing, but that obviously won't go well.

6 pages? The rules on magic is about 5 pages, but that's including all the art and graphs. One of them failed to read that and the other acted like it was pulling teeth, but I'll give it a shot. Looks like the newest edition is only 3 pages before getting into the "advanced" rules, so there might be hope.

>>48222661
Unfortunately this isn't really an option for me.
>>
>>48219902
The druid gets something in the way of nearly three times the potential health of a similarly leveled low level barb, along with full casting when animals fail, so probably not
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.