[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Pretty Good Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 1451291355250.jpg (129 KB, 544x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451291355250.jpg
129 KB, 544x1000
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
>>48168281

Tell me your character's goals, /5eg/. For DMs, tell me your future campaign goals.
>>
>>48186810
>Tell me your character's goals, /5eg/.
He wants to find out exactly how many decades or centuries he can stay drunk off his ass while helping people where he can every once in awhile.
>>
>>48186810
He wants to be an adventurer, instead of the literal murderhobo he's become.
>>
Would making detect magic a cantrip be too OP?
>>
>>48187004
It trivializes anything having to do with magic items, magically-controlled people, enchanted areas, invisible creatures, and more. It's bad enough that warlocks can get it at-will, and it's already a ritual spell. Leave well enough alone.
>>
>>48187039
>at will
>already a ritual spell

thats kind of my point. it seems dumb to have to wait 10 mins to cast it every time, because so far nobody actually spends a spell slot on the thing.
>>
>>48187039
I agree with a lot of that, but I don't think detect magic lets your see invisible creatures. I think it would tell you if there's something invisible within 30 feet of you, but no more than that due to a lack of visibility
>>
>>48187178

even then it's only magical invisibility right? if someone has an invisibility that's not due to magic (psionics?) it wouldn't work
>>
>>48187004
It just means that your DM will use asspulls to make it useless.
>>
>>48187258
There's no official psionics yes so that's sort of iffy to rule on, but I think there are some "non-magically invisible(or similar bullshit)" monsters. Phantom Fungus (don't think those are in 5e yet) and will-o-wisp come to mind, but there's probably more
>>
>>48187304

Psionics was just an example (that might not even exist yet), but any similar themed "not magic" power would work.

Psionics was just the first one off the top of my head. Either way I don't think DM as a cantrip is a great idea. Warlocks definitely give up something to have it at will and the casting time limiting it is probably intentional. It's a powerful utility you shouldn't always have access to.
>>
1000 years ago a green wyrm of exceptional cunning and strength raided the desert kingdom of Al-Qual'tassir and stole an emerald of untold beauty from the king of the desert elves, gifted to him by the 4 elemental goddesses as proof of his right to rule. The wyrm split the jewel into 8 pieces, each holding a piece of it's terrible soul, and scattered them to the far reaches of the world. Now, for the wyrm to die, the pieces must be brought together and the soul of the first king of Al-Qual'tassir must be summoned to drag the soul of this vile creature to the afterlife.

My name is Shuja ibn Ali ar-Rashil, last son of a disgraced elven house, and I will burn all the cities of the desert until there is nothing left but glass before I let that damn wyrm claim the lives my youngest siblings as they are sacrificed by the cowards and traitors that lead this city.
>>
>>48187258
>it's only magical invisibility right

Almost all of the invisibility effects in the MM are magical, except for invisible stalkers, who are bound to the world by magic anyway, so I guess detect magic should ping them. Poltergeist variant specters are also invisible without it explicitly being magic, and so are water weirds that are fully submerged in water.

All the others, however, specifically say "magically turns invisible", or can cast invisibility as a spell.

>>48187304
Will-o-wisp's invisibility says "magically becomes invisible". Look at MM page 301
>>
>>48187391
My bad, I'm thinking of older editions. Invisible stalkers are still an example of it though
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 800x617) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 800x617
How can I make a character like pic related without being edgy?
>>
>>48187004
Nope. But then, I don't give casters bottomless cantrips anyway. That's some 4e cancer I can do without.
>>
>>48186810
As a GOO warlock he wants to gain the most powerful thrall. I am hoping for an archmage since that would be a great thrall.
>>
>>48187503
>Now I, a powerful wizard, will cast... light crossbow! Ha ha!
>>
>>48187004
It's already a ritual.
>>
>6th level totem barbarian
What do I pick ?
>>
>>48187743
Whatever the fuck you want. They're all decent.
>>
>>48187522
Powerful wizards have plenty of spell slots. No need for the keep-up-with-martials easy button.
>>
>>48187263
This. I hate it when DMs are incapable of either planning around the tools that my character has or just letting me use the (largely situational and only mildly useful) tools that I fucking specialize in.
>>
I want to make a fist fighting grappler/brawler?
I just want to punch things hard. Grapple heavy enemies and throw them off cliffs or into traps. I'm definitely choosing Tavern Brawler.
Race: Half-orc (coolness factor) or
Goliath (can lift heavier)

Class: Barbarian (Rage gives advantage on grapples and stronger punches. Bear totem gives heavier lifting and better tanking)

or Fighter (battle manuevers for even stronger punches that control the battlefield)

How weak will I be around the first 5 levels?
>>
>>48187835
Go monk.
>>
>>48187743
>6th level totem barbarian
>What do I pick ?

Whatever you want. They're all ribbons.
>>
>>48187796
>keep-up-with-martials easy button.
>2d8 or 2d10 once per round
>keeping up with 2-3 attacks hitting around 1d8+6 or 2d6+4

Okay.
>>
>>48187835
Mechanically, heavy lifting doesn't effect grappling as far as I've seen, so I wouldn't worry about it. That said, a goliath grappler is just a better visual.

>>48187885
>low strength class
I think you're missing what this guy is looking for, anon.
>>
>>48187470
Vengeance Paladin.
And the Undertaker will ALWAYS be edgy.
That's the entire point of the Undertaker.
>>
>>48188006
I always thought of him more like a really buff necromancer than a paladin
>>
>>48187995
He wants to punch people hard. The only class that does that well is monk.
>>
>>48187995
My goal with my character is to be physically strong and also tank. So as the other guy said I won't go monk.

I know 2 of my friends are going Wizard and Warlock so I want to be able to grab enemies who try to attack my fragile friends. I want to be Unarmed so I can grab potentially 2 enemies and just drag them away and still be able to kick them or headbutt them

>>48188064
I don't want to pick the class that punches the hardest.(cause I know it'll be monk) I want to be a high strength puncher and still be able to pull my own weight in a fight.
>>
File: Bee armor.jpg (309 KB, 892x617) Image search: [Google]
Bee armor.jpg
309 KB, 892x617
Stat me
>>
>>48188064
You have a lot more options if you don't make that a primary damage dealing source.

>>48188135
Actually, I think a raging barbarian does close to the monks unarmed damage before flurry is factored in. Compare 1d4+5+3 (10.5) vs 1d12+5 (11.5).
>>
>>48187470
Way of Long Death strength based Monk.
>>
>>48188159
That's good to know.
I'm not sure how lenient my DM is but would making a fighter be worth it if I can Homebrew the Dueling fighting style to be a brawling fighting style for +2 damage on unarmed strikes?
>>
>>48188135
>I want to be a high strength puncher and still be able to pull my own weight in a fight.

You never will unless you go monk.
>>
>>48186810
He wants the Sun to shine in Ravenloft.
>>
What's all this stuff I hear about high level play being bad? I know there's much less variety as monster CR increases, but does it go beyond that? Does combat break or something?
>>
>>48188182
It's a point less than raging barbarian punches, but looks better than a monks unarmed at lower levels. Maybe the fighting style can grant a monks martial arts and treat fighter levels as monk as far as unarmed damage goes.
>>
Anybody have any good homebrews for gathering and crafting? I have a player who's trying to make an alchemist
>>
Session 0 of Curse of Strahd became a solid first session bringing the group to Madam Eva from three different home planes. I had to do a lot of it on the seat of my pants, but it was pretty easy to improvise.

Next session they get their Tarokka reading and get loosed into Barovia with no clear goal but a few good leads. I'm pumped.
>>
>>48187743

I'm a fan of the eagle ability personally.
>>
>>48187835
The problem will be overcoming immunity to non magical weapons
>>
>>48187520
If you could Thrall an Archmage you might actually start contributing
>>
>>48187353
jihad/10
>>
>>48188509
Is there anything in the books that makes unarmed attacks magic aside from class features? I don't think that's too big of a deal since homebrew magic weapons are a fairly common thing, but it really depends on the DM
>>
>>48188556
Hoard of the Dragon Queen has a magic item that does just that, called Insignia of Claws. It gives a +1 bonus to unarmed strikes and natural weapons and makes them considered to be magical.
>>
>>48188599
Does that apply to Druid Wildshapes?
>>
Give me a little creative input here, what kind of loot could you expect to burgle from a lords manor?
All i can think of for easily burgled stuff is the ladies jewelry box and the silver, what other valuables could there be?
>>
>>48188626
High art.
>>
>>48188623
>natural weapons
That's what it seems.
>>
>>48188626
Paperwork and letters incriminating not just the lord but nobles and merchants near and far. It doesn't matter what it's incriminating for, anything from colluding to fix the markets to more nefarious schemes.
>>
>>48188626
Expensive wine.
>>
>>48188157
I dunno. Honeycomb Golem? Just whichever golem is in the CR bracket you want (I'd favor lower) that can use insect plague on recharge instead of whatever ability it normally has

Alternatively just use swarm of insects and make some or all of the damage poison or something
>>
>>48188626
http://redkatart.com/treasure5e/treasureGen.php

Choose Hoard as Treasure type. Select it to trade most of the coins for gems and art. Put Magical item Frequency to None. That should give you some ideas.
>>
File: 1433217374023.jpg (152 KB, 583x777) Image search: [Google]
1433217374023.jpg
152 KB, 583x777
What martial classes can benefit from a dip into wizard for Bladesinger features?
>Barbarians can benefit from Bladesong with light armor or unarmored defense, but would be unable to use a heavy weapon or shield, and would have 4(!) stats that affect combat
>Fighters generally want more armor, perhaps light armor EKs?
>Monks can benefit from the armor and don't benefit from the song restricted weapons, but would also have a lot of combat-relevant stats
>Paladins would have 4 combat stats AND a minimum Str
>Rogues could potentially get good mileage, moreso ATs
>>
>>48188705
ATs and EKs are for sure the most likely to dip. Even a non-AT rogue might be worth the dip, since you could pick up find familiar, GFB/BB, and other great goodies while only being dependent on Dex and Int.
>>
Is it stupid that our DM allowed a level 1 monk karate chop a thin stone wall with a nat20 str roll?
>>
>>48188745
There's a lot of context I don't have here, but if he's not the kind of player that will start trying to chop down every wall from now on I wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>48188773
Yes,I did it because the only other option was to use the paladin as a ram, since I was the oly one trying to come up with an idea.
>>
>>48188810
Bringing around portable rams and sledgehammers is the privilege of strength based characters that have nothing better to do with their carry limits. Never underestimate shit tons of adventuring gear
>>
>>48188684
No, no, not golem. Armor made of BEES
>>
>>48188872
I totally agree,the paladin didnt have something like that and the monk(me) just improvised
>>
>>48188907
Can a ranger have a bee swarm companion or is it magical?
>>
>>48188907
Well it wouldn't really protect you from incoming attacks so much as dissuade people from getting near you, I would say a use the flame shield spell with a more BEES type flavor as a point of reference to whatever you actually want with it
>>48188943
Not sure (probably not), but swarms can't regain HP so you'd have to constantly replace your companion. That could actually work if you wanted to play up the beekeeper thing, but only a bat swarm has a CR low enough
>>
good guide for spell creation?
>>
>>48189038
Why could a bee swarm have higher CR than a bat swarm?
>>
>>48188280
The biggest problem is that printed high CR monsters tend to have above-CR defense and below-CR damage. It makes combat a slog at high levels that doesn't feel threatening.

If a DM homebrews high CR threats according to the DMG guide, tuned toward higher offense and lower defense than what the Monster Manual uses, then it's fine.
>>
>>48186810
He wants to prove the Wizard is a faggot.
>>
>>48189232
Would you rather swat bats or BEES?
>>
File: Untitled.png (61 KB, 443x53) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
61 KB, 443x53
How is this supposed to be interpreted? I've got a few players arguing that they can roll the hit die and then between the result or the average whereas I say if you roll you take the roll.
>>
>>48190061
The brackets separate two options, rolling hit dice or taking average every level, they don't get to take the best of both worlds.
That's not important though. You're the DM so it's your call regardless.
>>
>>48190061
It kinda depends on how you the DM decides. My group usually dose that you say what you will do first, and then do it. You can’t roll and then take the average. Ultimately it’s your choice how you go about it.
>>
>>48190085
That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I was in the right.

Not my fault one of my players rolled a 1 and tried to rile the whole table up about it.
>>
is anyone even using the broken ass shit from dandwiki?
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dullahan_(Variant)_(5e_Race)
Look at this. You get 4 abilities that are basically class futures. Holy shiet man
>>
>>48190389
No, we aren't mentally deficient.
>>
So I'm playing wizard for the first time and holy shit it's way more involved than cleric. I totally overlooked that fact that you can't prepare every spell on your list and you actually have to seek out and copy spells for your damn book (aside from the 2 you get every level up). Any hints on how I should pick the free spells? Like I read treatmonk's wizard guide but the formatting kind of put me off, I should stick to buff/debuff/control spells with maybe one or two blastin' ones?
>>
>>48190061
Some DMs like to give them the average to fall back on, but I always pick the average anyway, feels kinda petty to beg for free HP.
>>
>>48190389
>dandwiki

If you were on the internet when 3e was a thing you learned about that site then, and also learned it was complete and utter horseshit.
>>
What are the best three cantrips for an undying tomelock to pick up?
>>
>>48190654
Why does he have no lips.
>>
>>48190061
This is a GM call. Some will say "roll or take the average", some will say "roll and take the average or the roll result, whichever is higher", some will; cut out the middleman and say "just take the average" and some will have their own ruling entirely.
>>
>>48190516
Let your GM know that you are interested in collecting more spells. The game isn't exactly flush with practical rewards so anything he can use to better motivate your character into action and/or reward your progress is very useful information to have.
>>
File: image.png (369 KB, 844x447) Image search: [Google]
image.png
369 KB, 844x447
>>48188157
Paaaaiiiinn
>>
>>48188626
A plot this lord is involved in to murder someone
>>
>>48190682
He traded them to a fiend for that sweet mace.
>>
>>48187141
if they aren't taking it in their spell slots, it's because they are not encountering anything that makes preparing it necessary. as a DM, you can change that situation if you want your players to treat it as a useful tool to solve problems rather than a boring chore they have to complete to find the magic in a treasure hoard.
>>
>>48186810
>My warlocks goals
To become a Demon Lord and Ruler of the material plane. Possibly become a God or God like entity eventually.

>My DM goals
make sure the plot progresses naturally and fruitfully and hope the party doesn't piss off an important NPC. So far they have Pissed off one NPC in every major city so far. They have avoided legal trouble and even gained an NPC ally that's now traveling with them, but they dance on the razors edge sometimes.
>>
>>48190061
Its clear as day. It says "or" and means or. You pick either 7 or roll a d12.
>>
>>48188159
>1d12
Monks don't get to 1d12. Martial arts maxes at 1d10 at level 17. It should go up to d12 though.
>>
>>48190654
Imo, you will want shocking grasp or shillelagh for melee situations, guidance to bolster your skill checks, and the third one can vary depending on what you want.
>>
>>48190171
If they can't take a bad roll, don't let em. I'd go so far as to reset all their hp according to average results, if it'll keep the peace.
>>
File: mac nac feegle.jpg (90 KB, 839x518) Image search: [Google]
mac nac feegle.jpg
90 KB, 839x518
So, I'll be DMing for the first time soon, after having about half a year experience as a player.
All my players will be new to the game and one of them expressed the desire to play "something similar" to a Mac Nac Feegle from Discworld. I don't mind adding some homebrew flavor to my game so I went ahead and followed a race creation guide I found on here and came up with pic related.
I tried to make the flavor as close to the Pictsies as possible, but I'm not sure if I didn't make the Headbutt feature a little too powerful. Can I get some feedback on it?

Additionally the girl that wants to play the Feegle will be playing a barbarian and I was considering giving the race a +1 damage with melee weapons, considering she will be "small" and won't be able to carry a heavy weapon, so I assume she will have to roll with a 2h longsword. Would that be a better choice than the Headbutt feature?
>>
>>48191098
Huh, so it is. Pattern recognition steers me wrong yet again.
>>
>>48191633
Headbutt is too good, maybe look at minotaur (waterborne adventures UA) if you want a natural weapon or just give them something like the half orc crit feature.
Also learn how dice size progresses please.
>>
>>48191633
I wouldn't give them a flat +1 no, you're already giving them a strength bonus. Maaaaybe a +1 damage to two handed versatile weapons if you really want to encourage that. It's still pretty strong, mind, but just pretend the race isn't really small.

Headbutt does look too good, and the setup is awkward. Frightened, stunned and unconscious have no business being there, certainly. Balance it against a battlemaster maneuver and make it once per short rest.
>>
>>48191633
Don't make an effect that requires a saving throw every time you hit with a particular melee weapon attack. It gets tedious. It's not so bad if you limit it somehow (at minimum, make it a bonus action so you can only do it once per round).

What I might do is give headbutt a bigger damage die, but you take damage equal to half of that dealt to the target.
>>
>>48190171
I might say if they get a 1 they can re-roll but they have to take the new result, just as a mercy. But anything higher than 1 sticks.
>>
>>48191894
Just FYI, 1d6, but not 1, averages 4, and so on. 1d10 but not 1 averages 6, etc. So that's the same average as what the book uses for average.
>>
>>48191940
This is good then.
>>
>>48191738
>>48191801
>>48191874

Thanks for the feedback. So, upon reflection I guess the effects really are over the top.

I think I'll increase the damage die to a 1d8 and a saving throw which if failed adds 1d8 and a knocked prone. Usable [Con. modifier] times per long rest.
Balanced?
>>
>>48191994
Also, going to keep it a bonus action. I'm just not sure if it should be on short or long rest if it's Con. mod. number of times?
>>
>>48191994
Just make it standard action, d6, save or prone and upgrade the dice as they level.
You want to make them an okay pick for physical classes.
You don't want them to be the absolute best choice for all physical classes.
>>
>>48190516
It depends on your party. The appeal of the wizard is that with your massive spell list, you can slot into any role.

If you've already got some good damage-dealers, stick to spells that make them more effective. (mage armor, enlarge/reduce, magic weapon, haste).

If your party's on the squishy side, then controlling/debuffing effects are a good investment, since they can keep enemies from hurting you. (charm person, grease, Tasha's hideous laughter, gust of wind, hold person, ray of enfeeblement, web, slow, sleet storm, stinking cloud)

If you don't have a good skill-monkey, then look into utility spells. Like, you may not have a stealthy person, but someone with good Dexterity and Invisibility should do the trick. (comprehend languages, disguise self, alter self, arcane lock, darkvision, misty step, knock, clairvoyance, nondetection, sending)

If you have a party with good defenses but which lacks offensive bite, then go with blasting spells. Also, blasting spells are a good idea if your DM likes throwing hordes at you. (burning hands, thunderwave, cloud of daggers, Melf's acid arrow, scorching ray, fireball, lightning bolt).

Dabbling is always good, though. Versatility is the wizard's shtick. Also, your chosen school will probably impart bonuses for a particular kind of magic, so if there's a school which interests you then obviously you should probably get those spells to make the most of those bonuses.
>>
>>48191994
Once per short rest, constitution modifier for the save DC, save for half damage, and possible effects are scaling damage with level like dragonborn, prone, pushed, cannot take reactions, or poisoned (dazed/concussed/dizzy) until start/end of victims turn.
>>
>>48192014
If you take away the extra damage you could make it at-will. At that point it's roughly comparable in power to a cantrip.
>>
>>48192145
Or just make him an open hand monk. Might be easier.
>>
File: Magic Items.png (74 KB, 1895x1058) Image search: [Google]
Magic Items.png
74 KB, 1895x1058
Mundane or low magic items to give my players

GO
>>
>>48192246
I got you family member. Mix and match as you see fit.

http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/index.php
>>
I posted this in an earlier thread but didn't get much in terms of helpful feedback.

I'm trying to make a variant bard which has either half-casting or 2/3-casting. I want to keep it mechanically unique, though, so I'm not giving it much more in terms of combat capabilities; mostly what I'm doing is beefing up Bardic Inspiration.

With 2/3 casting, the bard gets a new spell level every three levels; 1st-level slots at 2nd level, 2nd-level slots at 5th level, 3rd-level slots at 8th level, 4th-level slots at 11th level, 5th-level slots at 14th level, 6th-level slots at 17th level, and finally 7th-level slots at 20th level. Magical Secrets is at 11th level and 17th level.

They don't have proper spellcasting at 1st level but they do start with two cantrips; they learn a third at 5th level and a fourth at 15th level.

You get Song of Rest at 2nd level, after which it scales with your BI die. The die also scales a bit faster, hitting d8 at 5th level, d10 at 9th level, and d12 at 14th level.

At third level you get Jack of All Trades, two Expertises, and your Bardic College. You get another two Expertises at 10th level, and new Bardic College features at 6th level and 15th level. Font of Inspiration and Countercharm are unchanged. Superior Inspiration moves to 18th level.

New features:
Magical Inspiration. From 2nd level, you can spend a spell slot as a bonus action and regain uses of your BI equal to 1 + the slot level. (My friend suggested it could be an action instead of a bonus action, so you could use it on the same turn you use BI. I'm undecided.)
Bountiful Inspiration. Starting at 7th level, when you grant Bardic Inspiration to a creature, it also regains hit points equal to your Bard level.
Recovering Inspiration. Starting at 13th level, when you grant Bardic Inspiration to a creature, it can use its reaction to make a saving throw against one effect a save can end.

Does this seem like a bard you'd play?
>>
I'm trying to create my first 5e character...

Is Paladin/Warlock multiclass a good idea? Going for a knight jedi theme.
>>
>>48192384
It's a reasonably good pair, if you're set on multiclassing. You can use warlock spell slots for recharging smites, they're both Charisma-based, and Blade Pact means you can't be caught weaponless. The downside of multiclassing is that you lag behind in class features--if you dip three levels into warlock, you won't get Extra Attack until 8th level, for example.
>>
>>48192384
It's doable, but you're way too likely to venture into special snowflake territory.

For a first timer just stick to a pure class at least up to 5th lvl to get the hang of it and then see how you feel about it. Warlock is a pretty good pick for newbies, because it's not super complex, but still has some magical flexibility unlike most melee classes who have to mostly just spam attack in combat and rely only on skill rolls for out of combat utility.
>>
Does expertise in perception affect my passive wisdom?
>>
>>48192490
I noticed that Warlock spell can be recharge through short rest.

Since I can use Pactmagic slot to cast Paladin spell, does that mean I can use all the Pactmagic slot on Cure spell and then take a short rest to fully refill it?

>>48192491
Thanks. I don't think my table would have a problem with special snowflake character though... not after we been through Pathflounder...
>>
>>48192657
Yes. Whatever your +x in Perception is, add 10, that's your passive. Same with Insight and Investigation...technically every skill if your DM's lazy.
>>
>>48188159

Since we're looking at high levels you should factor in the +2 damage they get from their capstone too.

Also monk's get more attacks than the barb by default too.
>>
>>48192658
>does that mean I can use all the Pactmagic slot on Cure spell and then take a short rest to fully refill it?
Yep. Though there are usually better things you can do with your pact magic slots than recover 1d8+Cha a pop.
>>
>>48192857
More question! Do undying light patron's Radiant Soul ability work with divine favor (and other paladin spell)?
>>
>>48187004
I usually go the other way. No detect magic or identify. The bookkeeping can be annoying, but my group enjoys the surprise here and there.
>>
>>48192941
It would work with paladin spells that deal radiant or fire damage directly, but not divine favor. Divine favor targets yourself, so when it deals radiant damage you're not really "casting a spell that deals radiant damage". It'd work for searing smite, branding smite, or moonbeam (if you go with Ancients), though, for example.
>>
File: selfish.jpg (50 KB, 550x403) Image search: [Google]
selfish.jpg
50 KB, 550x403
How exactly does Neutral Evil work? I get that Lawful Evil is the Sith Inquisitor essentially while Chaotic Evil rapes/burns/pillages in any order they wish, but where does NE fall on that spectrum? Selfish prick I guess?
>>
>>48192989
THAT is interesting anon. Hadnt thought of doing that. How do they identify magic items though?
>>
>>48187796

And here's how I know you've never actually read the 5e books.
>>
File: witchsight.jpg (24 KB, 384x133) Image search: [Google]
witchsight.jpg
24 KB, 384x133
Warlock's Witch Sight is a limited version of truesight.

What the fug happens when a 15th level warlock looks at the illusion of a creature?
>>
>>48193169
They see its an illusion. duh...
>>
>>48193145
They do something as long as it gains them. CE will do evil just for the hell of it. Making people suffer is the end goal. NE will do evil things as long as they get something out of it, if people suffer because of it, then that’s just fine.
>>
>>48193147
Probably by just trying them out. That's how my party once realized an amulet they found allowed them to speak Draconic. Too bad it made it so you could ONLY speak Draconic, and we couldn't get it off the Bard without bringing him to some wizard.
>>
>>48193169
In most spell descriptions for when a creature passes the Investigation check or is able to see through it by some other means, the illusion is described as appearing 'hollow' or 'faded' and what's really there is visible as well. Basically, the character can see both the illusion and whatever is really there equally well.
>>
>>48188745

Depends on the construction of the wall, but probably not. A lot of building materials are very strong in one way but weak in other ways, as anyone who's ever dropped a landscaping tile and/or punched through one to win a bet will tell you.
>>
>>48190389

No, one is actually using anything from that site. The mere presence of anything from that site guarantees a game will never actually happen.
>>
>>48193178
>>48193209
Ok here's another one.

Does blindsight autodetect visual illusions?
>>
>>48193145
Basically its ''I'll break the law when I think I'll get away with it but won't if its unlikely''.
>>
>>48186810
He wants to find and eradicate the darkness that destroyed his church organization, as well as bring justice to the twin cities that had unjustly thrown out the rest of the churches from their territory. Currently leads a rebellion as a symbol of hope, since most other paladins gave hope, are in hiding, or are dead.

As a side note, holy fuck do paladins rock in 5E. Jesus christ, they really love them, don't they? It's like with WOW and how they never nerfed the paladin.
>>
>>48193292
Blindsight cannot perceive purely visual illusions. That probably reveals their nature.
>>
>>48193292
Well, what blindsight actually represents depends on the creature in question.

But generally, I'd say a creature with only blindsight wouldn't even 'see' the illusion in the first place, and would act as though it wasn't there.

A creature with blind AND regular sight would be more complicated, but I'd say it would see the illusion but know something was off about it.
Whether it would then have to pass a check to 'see through' the illusion, perhaps with advantage, I'd probably have to decide at the time.
>>
>>48186810
Currently not certain. She was tasked with keeping a secret sacred book for some evil. She doesn’t know what’s in the book or who or what is hunting her for it. All she knows is that she was chosen by her god to keep it safe.

And with the threat of a demon and a undead invasion, who knows what the book is needed for. But right now, she’s traveling the world, trying to help all that she can.
>>
>>48192246

>Tongue of the Sly: A Merchant's Warning
After studying this book the reader can attempt to speak Theives’ Cant, even if they don’t have the language. When trying to speak Theives’ Cant make a wisdom saving throw to recall the information from the book and speak a passable version of Theives’ Cant. On a fail, you’re only speaking gibberish.

>Bag of One Platinum Coin
When you open this very small coin purse it has a Platinum coin in it. The coin is real by all accounts, however whenever you pull it out, the previous platinum coin pull from the bag vanishes. Should the coin be subject to considerable damage such as being clipped or melted by extreme heat (but not bending or small scratches) it vanishes, and a new coin appears in the purse.
>>
>>48193763
Whoops, that's the old wording on the Coin. The last sentence should read:

The coin can handle minor damage such as being bent or small scratches, but being subject severe damage such as being clipped or temperatures extreme enough to melt the coin will cause the coin to vanish and reappear in the bag.
>>
>>48188182
I'd allow it, as a fairly strict DM.
>>
>>48188280
All my high level monsters are pure homebrew, and my players are completely terrified of them.
>>
>>48188304
I saw something like that on reddit a while back; not really about potions, specifically, but all magic items.
>>
>>48188705
I'd go with ATs and EKs, as well. I've been toying with an Arcana Cleric with a 2-level dip into Bladesinger, but more for story reasons.
>>
>>48194152
Care to share?
>>
>>48189133
The DMG and your imagination, really. What kind of thing are you looking for?
>>
>>48190061
Default is an either/or, per my own reading. As a DM, though, I do a "whichever is higher" thing, as I like my players to have an illusion of safety.
>>
File: Poisoner's Kit v1.3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Poisoner's Kit v1.3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48188304
You could try using these poison crafting rules as a template for alchemist rules
>>
Anyone here have seen hunter x hunter? i am trying to make a hunter class, the 5 nen types are the class paths, but i dont know if i should add a new attribute for Nen to use it for Nen specific abilities or just using the prof bonus, any suggestions?
>>
>>48194250
My biggest suggestion would be: Don't do it that way.
>>
>>48194250

Nen is a fairly complex thing, I think it'd be foolish to attempt to port it over to 5e.
>>
>>48194250
I mean shit dude, if you're just going to write in that much shit you might as well use a more narrative system or something. 5e is great for swords and sorcery style fantasy, not HxH. I would try FATE or something.
>>
>>48194198
Heh. If you play in Greenville, NC on Wednesday nights, I will kill your characters in as distinctly a horrible fashion as my disturbed mind can come up with.

The majority of the monsters that they're fighting now come out of my twisted imagination; they almost always have tentacles

There's eyeballs that have tentacles where the nerve bundles would be; there's also a monster called simply the Faceless One that gives birth to these eyeballs from its back. The eye-things are called Mind-takers; they'll latch on, burrow beneath the skin and tie into the nervous system of a humanoid and take them over; the body moves as the hive-mind wishes, while the brain gets to enjoy being connected to the hive-mind, whether they like it or not. Temporary and Permanent Madness haven't happened yet, but they might coming up.

There's also 10ft tall exoskeletal slithering things with three eyes and bi-parted jaws (I forget the term for this...think Predator mouth, with too many eyes and tentacles). These also have the ability to implant their eggs in a bound humanoid, which then grow and eat their way out in a very horrible fashion.

There's also a tar-covered bird that has a baby's head attached to it; the baby's head has five eyes in total; these creatures have freaked them out the most because all I had them do was watch from too far away. They haven't killed many of them, as they fly away when attacked.

The majority of these range from CR12-18; I can post stats when I get home in a few hours, but its fairly easy to come up with mechanics once you know what you want to make.
>>
>>48194328
>>48194349
>>48194376
i dont intend to autistically replicate the entire nen system but creating something that does the work, 5e is the system i am more familiar with, i thought in using FATE but i dont think it is complex enough or do you guys have another system that could be easy to mod into a hxh rpg?
>>
>>48192346
First off I want to say I'm not trying to be hostile, but I always seem to come off that way on the internet so I'll start with a compliment.

>New features:
Magical Inspiration. From 2nd level, you can spend a spell slot as a bonus action and regain uses of your BI equal to 1 + the slot level. (My friend suggested it could be an action instead of a bonus action, so you could use it on the same turn you use BI. I'm undecided.)
Bountiful Inspiration. Starting at 7th level, when you grant Bardic Inspiration to a creature, it also regains hit points equal to your Bard level.
Recovering Inspiration. Starting at 13th level, when you grant Bardic Inspiration to a creature, it can use its reaction to make a saving throw against one effect a save can end.

These things would actually be really cool in a subclass call it the "College of actually being a fucking bard". That being said, its fucking awful with the new bard you have presented. The first feature is shit awful because you aren't going to burn your very few slots (because you made them have very few) on bardic inspiration. They should just have way more bardic inspiration to start with. Should at least have the short rest feature for it starting at level 1, and then at least double it or something starting at level 3 or 5(one other thing you may want to consider is that with their spells being shit now, is changing how they even get uses, consider not basing it on cha modifier since most bard won't want to actually get it to 20 anymore), which is when your new slow progression is going to start to kick in. This should make it so inspiring people is a core part of the class. They will probably be doing it close to every round of every encounter and on most occasions when a roll would be important out of combat.

That being said, even if they had infinity uses of bardic inspiration it still wouldn't come close to losing 9th level spells (Foresight alone is better than that) 1/?
>>
>>48192346
>variant bard

What is the thematic reason for doing so...? What are you going for, as far as theme?
>>
>>48194518
Being less dependent on spellcasting and more geared towards team support.
>>
>>48194250
>>48194442
Isn't the whole point of nen that it can just do whatever? There's no reason it wouldn't just take the form of a fighter's extra attacks, spells or a barbarian's rage or whatever. If any stat was a characters "nen" attribute I'd think it would just be their level

Or you could just use it as fluff for the monk class if you want to go in a more specific direction since it's very similar to ki in concept
>>
File: mystic_knight_by_firestorm037.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1042) Image search: [Google]
mystic_knight_by_firestorm037.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1042
Could I get a little advice on my Eldritch Knight build? I think he'll be fun the way he's mapped out and I don't know how much I'll change, but it never hurts to ask.
http://pastebin.com/9YZMPwp4
Thanks!
>>
>>48192346
>>48194475
So what you are going to have to do is play up on features that aren't bardic inspiration or turbo charge the fuck out of it (Things like bardic inspiration working for every roll on the turn they decide to use it, or it also granting advantage, or both or something crazy) Since like I said, foresight alone is better than infinity uses of bardic inspiration as is, and thats not even the best thing they can do with their missing spell slots.

You could help to shore up this big power gap in a couple of ways. You could make them even better in out of combat stuff (j/k, thats pretty much completely irrelevant and the bard we have now is already pretty incredible about it).

So you have to make them better at in combat stuff, instead of a blanket fix for the class here I would pour power into archetypes. Make valor bard an even more respectable gish, give him heavy armor prof, and extra attack and war magic a bit earlier at least. You could also see about stealing a feature from other martials (maybe superiority dice, or at higher levels action surge or something like it) or some brand new defensive ability.

For the lore bard, find a way to give them spells back, maybe a way to turn bardic inspirations into spell slots or something. They are essentially the wizard bard, so some sort of arcane recovery or sorcery point-esque feature would help recapture the feel of casting a lot of spells, even if they weren't nearly as strong as the spells they could cast before.

Since you are remaking the whole class you could probably go ahead and add a third archetype that was just being more roguelike, though that might step on the other classes toes a bit too much.

But yeah, I think you are severely underestimating the power gap you are leaving behind when you take out the spells. Bards (like the other casters) spike at levels 3 and 5 (at 3 there spells per day double and they get 2nd level spells. At 5 they get third level spells which are VERY strong)
>>
>>48194621
there are the four principles of nen:
Ten: Nen Armor
Zetsu: Conceal ones presence
Ren: enhances attacks
Hatsu: depends on your hatsu type but it can be any power

to limit ones hatsu you have nen points, ie conjuring a sword uses 5 nen points, if you have 10 nen points you can only conjure it one more time until you need to rest
>>
>>48194611
That's....not really a series of themes.

E.G.

The Rogue's themes could be said to be: sneaky, stealthy, quick, and quick-witted. All the base rogue features personify those themes, IMO.

The Rogue's subclasses add new themes to these themes; Assassin becomes sneaky, stealthy, quick, quick-witted, and murderous and a good-ish infiltrator. Thief adds quick-fingered to the themes of the rogue, and extends quick to include climbing, etc. The Swashbuckler adds fencing to the quick theme, and a quick wit to the normal quick wit of the rogue.
>>
>>48194680
Sounds like a monk subclass to me.
>>
>>48194639
You seem to have misread the feat description for magic initiate. You get 1 spell and 2 Cantrips, not the other way around.
>>
>>48194639

Magic Initiate only gives you one spell, not two (Shield and Mage Armor)
>>
>>48194733
>>48194735
Oops, thank you.
>>
>>48194475
One thing I forgot to mention is that the limitation of granting one BI per turn is removed; you can grant as many as you like.

The principle goal of Magical Inspiration was for a non-spellcasting use for spell slots, akin to Divine Smite or Primeval Awareness.

Making BI recharge per short rest from the start is a good suggestion, and I could have Superior Inspiration fully refill BI when you roll initiative instead of giving just one.

In terms of average outcome, advantage is inferior to even +1d6, let alone +1d12. Factor in the 20 hit points and bonus saving throw, I'd say it's hardly negligible, which is a litote, since it's compared to a spell they can cast once per day.
>>
>>48194682
This is a variant, not an archetype. More akin to the ranger-without-spellcasting or archer-paladin.
>>
>>48194639
>misreads feat descriptions
>doesn't take gfb/booming
>thinks you can retrain spells learned via feat

Sorry sport, looks like you're not cut out to play a spellcaster. I hear that Champion is a fun subclass for kids like you, though. Why not give that a try, champ?
>>
>>48194813
I am aware, yes; however, I was attempting to show you the relationship between theme and mechanic. The theme you are going for should define your mechanic.

Stating you want less spellcasting is fine--what's the theme for doing so, though?
>>
>>48192346
>>48194475
>>48194671
So you have them fucked up really bad for at least the first five levels, and then by level 17 you have them completely fucked rotten since level 9 spell are so far above and beyond all the other features you have presented its sad (seriously, foresight obsoletes most bardic inspiration stuff, and then there is Wish, which is probably the most powerful effect in the game (and the only way to stop wish is by being a bit of an asshole as a GM, which shuts down anything, so that isn't really a fair comparison).

You chopped the legs off bard, which might have been a little fine considering they were so damn strong to begin with (arguably the strongest class) but then you didn't give them prosthetics to replace them. Or crutches. Or a wheel chair. You just gave them a rape whistle so everyone would be able to know how hard they were getting fucked.
>>
>>48194907
>You just gave them a rape whistle so everyone would be able to know how hard they were getting fucked.

Oh, jesus. lol.....I'm dying
>>
>>48194859
A bard whose magic is more intrinsic and tied to providing inspiration rather than standard-issue spellcasting, I guess?

I think you're overestimating the importance of the fluff. A mechanical theme is still a theme.
>>
>>48194792
>One thing I forgot to mention is that the limitation of granting one BI per turn is removed; you can grant as many as you like.

Better, but it doesn't solve the issue that bards have no way to deal damage or do much to meaningfully participate in combat themselves. And since spells are so weak you are probably going to want to change how you get uses, since most bards are going to want to dump cha since it gives them essentially nothing but this now.

I would try to find a way to make it so their damage at least keeps up with rogues, which are the lowest damage dealing class in the PHB IIRC.
>>
>>48194907
You don't seem to be trying all that hard to not come off as hostile.

Remember, you get one 9th-level spell per day. You're drastically overselling the power of "one creature for one minute once per day". Even if that very limited bonus is fantastic.

Advantage is a smaller bonus than +1d12. If a variant bard were so inclined, she could grant a d12 to the same creature every turn for a minute, thanks to the five Bardic Inspirations she gets to start, then spending a 4th level spell slot to finish it up. A smaller number of significantly more powerful bonuses. Plus 17 hit points per turn. See what I mean?
>>
>>48195020
Why on earth would they possibly dump Charisma? It determines their uses of BI, their spell save DC, and spell attacks (since they still have cantrips and all the spell slots they don't use on BI). Paladins don't dump Charisma, rangers don't dump Wisdom.

If they want to deal damage, they've got a weapon, and the valor bard still gets Extra Attack and can add Bardic Inspiration to damage.
>>
>>48194792
>In terms of average outcome, advantage is inferior to even +1d6, let alone +1d12. Factor in the 20 hit points and bonus saving throw, I'd say it's hardly negligible, which is a litote, since it's compared to a spell they can cast once per day.

I would like to see the math on that if you would please. The last time I remember running math on advantage it was roughly comparable to +5 on the roll, and the average of a d6 is only 3.5 (this is not counting that advantage increases the chance of a critical hit and decreases the chance of rolling a natural one, which will make you miss regardless of your bonus).

So a d12 would be superior for one roll(average 6.5), but if you say, had two attacks (a reasonable assumption to make since every class can do that much starting from level 1) Foresight would still be far superior. And because you are saying "its just a spell they can cast once per day" I feel like you HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE SPELL.

I will copy paste it for you.

Foresight
9th-level divinaton
Castng Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a hummingbird feather)
Duraton: 8 hours
You touch a willing creature and bestow a limited ability to see into the immediate future. For the
duraton, the target can’t be surprised and has advantage on atack rolls, ability checks, and saving
throws. Additonally, other creatures have disadvantage on atack rolls against the target for the
duraton.
This spell immediately ends if you cast it again before its duraton ends.

You cast it once, it lasts all day, and it does MUCH MUCH more than just advantage on literally all of your rolls. This is just a sliver of what you have taken away from the bard (foresight honestly isn't THAT strong in the grand scheme of 9th level spells even, not counting how bad you have messed them up early game too).
>>
File: shrug.png (151 KB, 500x309) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
151 KB, 500x309
>>48194814
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like retraining feat spells is up to dm discretion and mine tends to be pretty cool about stuff like that. If the dm lets me get Booming Blade I'm definitely taking that over True Strike.
Thank you for your advice. The salt made it taste better.
>>
>>48192246
>Sticker Book of Burgers
This book contains 32 stickers depicting burgers. When placed upon a plate, the sticker transforms into a burger, which is 1/2 a pound of food.
http://imgur.com/gallery/gX8C5
>>
>>48195140
http://anydice.com/program/8cf0

Oh, snap, I read the casting time as the duration.

Okay, I'll do some more tinkering.
>>
>>48195123
Paladins DO dump cha relative to strength and con, and rangers do much the same. Its not going to be their lowest stats, but its nowhere close to their most important (ie, it is dumped)

Cha was bards most important stat. Now its not, just that simple. You shouldn't expect it to be as high as previous bards, who would rush it to 20 ASAP.

>If they want to deal damage, they've got a weapon, and the valor bard still gets Extra Attack and can add Bardic Inspiration to damage.

This is a problem if you think its enough after they have been neutered. Fighters get 4 attacks, action surge, many more ASIs and a smattering of other attack boosting abilities.

In addition they also get up to 4th level spells.

For how much you are undervaluing 8-9 spells you sure are overvaluing 5-7 ones.
>>
My character who was forced into an arranged marriage, finally started to enjoy his companion. Only to end up losing to a rival who got too jealous. He took up necromancy since there is a rumored powerful artifact in the game that can bring any creature or being back from the dead. No remains necessary, as they were destroyed as part of her burial. His goal is to resurrect his spouse and defeat the rival who took her from him. His whole thing of necromancy is to act as a ferryman of the damned in his journeys to help gather information and allies to achieve this cause.

Basic I know, but the DM often makes further details out of basic information so that he doesn't have to conform to the backstories of the character they are molded to his campaign world with this. (That artifact portion was his idea)
>>
>>48195254
The fighter is a combat-oriented class. It'd be better to compare the variant bard to, say, the cleric.whose most damaging spell is Fire Storm.
>>
>>48194244
That's some nice shit, anon. Did you make it or find it anywhere you remember?
>>
>>48195419
I found it on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/4gkepv/poisoners_kit_and_you_an_easy_guide_for_your/
>>
File: 1446594080380.png (652 KB, 1381x1371) Image search: [Google]
1446594080380.png
652 KB, 1381x1371
>Playing Goliath Barbarian
>Goliath Barbarian with 20 strength and level 6 bear totem can lift 1600lbs
>Pick up a huge bolder
>throw it at enemy
>DM: ''Okay roll 1d4 damage''
>mfw

What the fuck is this nonsense?
>>
File: 1431208883033.jpg (97 KB, 704x895) Image search: [Google]
1431208883033.jpg
97 KB, 704x895
>>48195452
>The halfling uses his sling to flick a pebble at an enemy for the same damage and a better chance to hit
Goliath, meet David.
>>
>>48195452
>What the fuck is this nonsense?
Meme bait that never happened.
>>
>>48195452
That would be a dm hell bent on being pants on head. Instances like that should follow the improvised damage table in the dmg.
>>
>>48195334
Oh, good. If we are comparing it to cleric then you can see where you need to boost it. All clerics (IIRC) gain a divine strike class feature which always ups their damage by 2d8, and they could cast spiritual weapon so often as to assume they could at least have that every encounter (its also only a bonus action and it increases in damage if you up the spell level).

So clerics (with shields equipped even!) could be doing about 3d8+5 from their melee attacks plus at LEAST (it goes up to 4d8) 1d8+5 from their bonus action.

This isn't counting feats or any other shenanigans to get the damage higher, and I am pretty sure that every one that plays cleric uses spiritual weapon all the time.

So bare minimum you want your bards doing 4d8+10 all the time, even when they aren't exactly specced for damage (the example cleric sure as hell isn't).

And you would probably want them doing even more (clerics have higher level spell slots, and the arcana domain makes them at least as retarded as wizards).

Valor bards should be doing more than your "normal" bard damage too, (which should also be better than 4d8+10)
>>
>>48195550
A slightly smarter built cleric (still no feats or anything) would be arcana cleric casting GFB doing 1d6+6d8+20 damage every turn with just the cantrip (spiritual weapon could make it go up to 1d6+10d8+25).

And then the cleric would still have better armor prof then a normal bard, and 9th level slots, and prepare more spells, and they could be wizard spells.
>>
>>48193147
They don't directly.

I let it be clear fairly quick that an item is magical, it's the PC's problem to poke at it until they figure it out, at which point I give them the effects.

Potions and weapons are the easiest to do this way. Drink the potion, learn the effects, all potions that look the same are the same potion for the length of the campaign. When your weapon lets off lightning or talks back at you, it's also kinda obvious.

Armor is a little harder but not by much. Conveying extra AC is mostly them paying attention to numbers, but other effects are straightfoward to convey. The armor is unusually light or you feel cool in a desert.

Wonderous Items are probably the hardest, but they've been the most interesting in practice. A bag of holding, a portable demiplane and a bag of devouring are all kinda similar by my players had 4ish sessions go by where they kept testing different hypothesis's.

Doing this seems to work better when magic items are rare, powerful and usually come with more than numeric benefits. So the item can take up part of a session on its own instead of just being another piece of candy that fell out of the loot pinata.
>>
File: Havel-Mage.jpg (177 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Havel-Mage.jpg
177 KB, 1280x720
Is pic related a Fighter 2 (defensive style) / Sorcered X ?

Stormborn Sorc or Wild? /tg/ what's your thought on this? bad? mad?
>>
>>48195254

Charisma should definitely be above Constitution for Paladins. Having better saving throws and abilities>>slightly more HP.
>>
Casters>martials
>>
>>48196284
Easy
>use Greenfire blade with greatsword or whatever
>put one level into undying light warlock for cha mod to fire damage forever, hell even two for turret powers
>dragon sorc for +cha to fire damage at 6th level
>use action to cast greenfire blade and twin cast it for 2 greenfire blades
>action surge for same thing
>quicken a greenfire blade
>5 goddamn greenfire blades
>regenerate all the spent sorc points super slowy with warlock spell slot to sorc points
>get hex for extra damage ontop of everything
>>
>>48187141
TIME
SENSITIVE
ADVENTURES

And I don't mean "you have X days to stop this threat", or "the plot will advance in these negative ways on days Y and Z", but "the enemy is aware of your presence in this dungeon and they are moving around looking for you even as you loot this room"-type stuff.
>>
>>48196680
haha not bad :)
>>
>>48190061
Be a real DM and maximize all HP gains on level up. Let the Barbarian feel he's actually made of fucking meat compared to the Wizard. Increase damage accordingly.
>>
>>48196305
I think it depends massively on what the difference in the scores are. If you have (after racial modifers or what have you) an 18, 16, an 11, 9, 8, 10. I would always put the 18 in str, and the 16 in con (I would rather have 18 more HP than +3 to saves (when the ability is strongest vs HP) even, and would definitely take 60 HP over +3 to saves.

It depends on the difference between the scores, but if its only a +1 mod you might be right. Its iffy for sure.
>>
File: Shadowcaster 5e Homebrew V1.2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Shadowcaster 5e Homebrew V1.2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48196704
How about for a homebrew class? pdf related.
>>
>>48196680
Can you twin GFB? I don't think it only targets one creature.

I mean, if it works I know what my pal/sorc is doing, but I don't think it does.
>>
>>48196789

Sure, in that case I can see what you might be going for.

I don't know if I'd play a Paladin with that array though, since you depend on Charisma to bump up your shitty saves. I'd at least want a +2 to it, but you can't really afford to dump Constitution either.
>>
File: nenlol.png (32 KB, 545x526) Image search: [Google]
nenlol.png
32 KB, 545x526
not even final of what the Nen User Class will be but i need feedback on how to make it less shit
>>
>>48193145
NE is the most evil alignment. Devils and demons, which hate each other, can at least agree that 'loths are fucksticks.
>>
>>48196840
Well you target one creature, it just affects another if you hit, so I'd argue with my DM it's okay.
>>
>>48196817
I think that far surpasses my limit for hearing the words shadow and darkness. Without wasting too much time reading that it's basically just a middle ground between sorcerer and warlock with some sneaky bits right? Sure whatever.
I'd probably have bigger bones to pick than that if I actually bothered to read the full class description and spell list
>>
>>48196911
With the bounded accuracy of 5e it is a really bad idea to give people so much AC as per the advanced ken.
>>
>>48196911
>911
Well like 9/11, this is a complete disaster
>four principles of nen
When can I use these abilities? Do I have to concentrate? What's the deal?
>Ten
Wis mod stacking with plate is pretty dangerous, and weak against nen attacks needs to have mechanics
>zetsu
I guess this is okay
>Ren
fucking +wis to all damage is batshit insane dude, and is way better than Zetsu
>hatsu
I guess it's a mechanic or whatever

>advanced techniques
why at levels 3 to 8? Jesus christ this is hurting me, explain the mechanics you fucker
>gyo/In
whatever I guess it's something
>En
Is the radius in feet? I guess it's something
>Shu
gib mechanics
>Ie
This is just Shu, except the mechanics are explained, and it's fucking Ren but can be used to do skill checks with tools better, or BS'd as more AC like Ten
>Ken
Better version of Ten, and super overpowered because that's fucking 35 AC with full plate, 20th level, 20 Wis, and a shield
>Ko
explain you fucker
>>
>>48196911
>Add ability score to AC
Add a "new way to calculate" like monks or barbarians, have it be a temporary bonus like the shield spell, or have it be really small like the fighting style or two weapon fighting feat. Just adding wisdom modifiers is just not really consistent with the system math

The other ones seem kind of vague so I don't really want to pick them apart much, but if something has to break the system math to exist it probably doesn't belong in the system in the way you'd like
>>
>>48196997
ehh, sort of not really. casting is based on spell use per spell known per day. they start off with a single casting of their highest spells known, which turns into 2 castings per spell per day when they reach the next tier of spells, then 3 times when they get 7th lvl spells.

So spells lvl 1-3 are cast up to 3 times per day, 4-6 up to 2 times, 7-9 are cast once at max level.
>>
>>48196911

What the fuck even is this? It's so god damn incomprehensible I can't give you any other advice except for work on making this slightly readable.
>>
>>48197090
http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Nen

all the fluff is there, this class is going to be the only class on the campaign people dont use armor normally

sorry but most of the number there are just place holders
>>
>>48197090
you can use one princple of nen each combat round, you have to expend nen points to use them, as monk ki
>>
>>48197273
Your idea is bullshit and that series is a shonen shitfest. Please stop posting.
>>
>>48196754
That sounds equally retarded and casual.
>>
>>48197273
Don't bother sharing if you don't actually have the basic details worked out. You're only going to be shit on and they'll be right
>>
>>48190061
You roll or you take the average. Letting them roll and then fallback to the average if they don't like the result basically makes it pointless. The point of rolling is that you get a chance at more hitpoints at the risk of getting less. The potential gains are balanced by the potential losses. Letting them take the average if they roll under it is just taking away the risk. It makes it a chance for more hitpoints, never for less. Why fucking bother at that point? It's cowardly.
>>
>>48193162
And here's how I know you haven't actually played the game. Having to occasionally keep their dick in their pants doesn't severely hamper the effectiveness of wizards.
>>
>>48197376
yeah my bad, i just wanted some help with the mathematics and i got some nice feedback
>>
>>48192246
Looking for some feedback on this one. Looking for exploitable language specifically. Should there be a save if the item being swapped is being help by another creature?

Unnamed Item
An old looking wrist bracelet with wooden beads. As a action, the wearer may swap an item in their hand with the position of another item within 40 feet of them that they can see. Items transferred this way cannot be an item being worn by another creature, and must weigh no more than 10 pounds. The bracelet has a maximum of three charges, and regains one charge each sunrise.
>>
So, last session a new player joined my online game. Everything went fine for a while, new character was cheerful and friendly, everyone seemed to be getting along. The rogue wasn't there, though. Thanks to the circumstances, when she introduced herself to the rogue the other characters weren't there, so he basically just ignored her and got away, being the mistrustful little halfling he is. Despite other characters arriving then and calling for him, too. Then he set up an ambush outside and waited for them to leave, which took several hours.

Then, he tried to stab her using a poison (Torpor, from the DMG) that incapacitates targets. Thankfully, he missed, and his dagger just plinked against her armor (She's a paladin, by the way). She gave him a chance to back off, but for some reason he was dead set on fighting her. On the middle of a street in Waterdeep. As you can imagine, she didn't have much trouble defeating the little dude, and took him to the nearest prison. The party tried to dissuade her from it, but she was in the right.

Since nobody was actually hurt besides himself, I just made him pay a fine of 100 gp to her and 50 gp to the city of Waterdeep for disturbing the peace. And spend the rest of the day and night in the stocks.

Was I too harsh? Too kind? How would you have handled it?
>>
File: 2016-07-09_17-23-34.png (93 KB, 503x799) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-09_17-23-34.png
93 KB, 503x799
Haha time to play a goblin warlock
>>
>>48198484
I'm not sure if I'm getting this exactly right, but basically the rogue character joined late, opted out of introducing itself, then started on a plot to rob another character?

If I'm getting that right I'd say the appropriate response is "That character is in jail, make a new one or leave"
>>
>>48197273
I watched hxh, but the problem is you/guy who made this shit didn't explain mechanically how anything really works
>>48197297
>Only lasts one turn
>Copies monk Ki points
This is shit
Since I watched the show, all your mechanical stuff makes even less since, considering people on show can make nen shit last more that 6 seconds
>Hurr I can get +Wis mod to stealth checks for 6 sec
Just terrible and awful, fucking use use something like blade song or barb rage where it lasts minutes and offers a boost you can choose or something
Fucking write more than the shit you already have
>>
I'm going to be running a oneshot and I want there to be a chance for my players to fight another adventurer during the game. They're going to be level 5 and there'll be 3 of them playing. What would be a good level for this rival adventurer to be in order for him to pose a good challenge as likely the final boss of this campaign?

Setting is a haunted house as well but I want there to be some semi-intelligent monsters squatting in it who are trying to get out because it's haunted. I'm not sure what would be the best thing to use in this situation as they won't necessarily be hostile to the players and I want them to be able to have a conversation at least.
Best just to go with goblins?
>>
>>48198597
Use the formulas in the DMG to determine CR based on HP, AC, and damage per turn.

What you'll find is that player characters are balanced differently from monsters. Players tend to have low HP and high ac, while monsters are the other way around.
>>
>>48198597
Don't use the PC rules to make him. PCs are not designed for fighting other PCs.
>>
>>48198597
The humanoid statblocks in the monster manual are probably a lot better suited to what you want than actual classes
>>
>>48198484
Well he's not dead or in jail forever so I think you handled it alright.

You may want to talk to him about attacking other PCs for no reason. If he utters the words "it's what my character would do" ban him immediately and never regret it.
>>
>>48198484
Ask your players if they want PvP to be a common thing. Social contracts go a long way. If they don't mind then let them do whatever. However if there are people strongly opposed to player vs player combat then try to get the others to come to terms with it. A quick way to do it would be to have characters come up with a backstory why they might trust this new person. Friend of the family, did a job in the past, etc. When hostilities arise among the characters have them talk it out first (without making threats), encourage characters to make bargains or IOUs. If your group has mixed feelings towards PvP, try to respect their wishes, perhaps you even might allowed if there's reasonable tension built up, which is how TV shows do it (and neither opponent dies typically).

Personally as a GM I can't stand PvP, and I make it very clear that I simply won't accept it. Thankfully my group agrees.
>>
>>48188745
I believe there's specific rules on damaging objects. Look at page 207-208 of the SRD.

Basically, depending on the material, it'll have its own AC and hitpoints depending. So the monk would guarantee a hit, but would have to roll enough damage to break whatever size the wall of stone is.

But honestly, if its just a thin wall of stone, I'd just say yes because fuck spending time on useless bullshit.
>>
>>48198654
>"it's what my character would do"

What's so bad about this?
>>
>>48198692
From personal experience, I've only ever heard it used to justify terrible actions.
For example, attacking NPCs mid conversation for no reason, robbing other PCs, etc
I've never heard it in a non disruptive context but hey that's just me
>>
>>48198597
Roughly 11th level. But as others have said, it'd be better to use, like, the CR6 Mage NPC.
>>
>>48198692
I find it pretty similar to "America is a free country! I can do what I want!" it's only ever said when they're doing something disruptive.

>>48198597
Look at the Nonplayer Characters section on the Monster Manual (p342). There's a pretty big list of options. For encounter difficulty calculations I like http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
>>
>>48186810
as per gameworlds dwarf custom character seeks to earn enough money to bring to his brides family as a "dowery" to show he could support her to the ststus they feel she deserves.
[the truth is they do love each other but bride is noble caste, he is trade caste]
>>
>>48198732
I know "I'm just playing my alignment" is an awful excuse, but if someone wants to play a character prone to breaking the law, there's nothing wrong with it as long as they're willing to accept the consequences.

Nothing wrong with making a prejudice character and then acting like a dickbag the majority of the time.
>>
>>48198557
No, the paladin joined late, and tried to introduce herself to the rogue when the other characters weren't there. The rogue seems to be somewhat paranoid, so he planned to knock her out and then question her, I think.

>>48198661
I'm really uncomfortable with PvP, too. I think that was a horrible way to welcome a new player into the game, but thankfully she handled the whole situation very well.
>>
>>48198692
Because whenever people say this, it's usually to justify a decision that will just make everyone else mad or annoyed, or at the very least create a very unsatisfying situation.

In my case (>>48198484), for example, we probably lost from 30 min to 1 hour of game time to resolve that conflict, as I was also caught completely off guard by having to rule some punishment. It derailed the session in a way that wasn't fun for most of the players, maybe even for none of them. Later, the party had an encounter with a roving band of orcs and an ogre. The rogue player had to leave and couldn't participate in the fight. If he hadn't caused that bullshit earlier, he'd have time, so I guess that's some sort of punishment too.
>>
Speaking of PvP, does anyone have any PvP related stories that might be fun to share?

My Fighter wrestled the party's Druid who had wildshaped into a bear one time as part of a drunken bet as a party. It was welcomed warmly since it was a party among brawlers, hunters, and other adventurer-like folk. Let me tell you, you never forget the first time a character of yours suplexes a bear.
>>
Question: How long does a single combat round last?After all is said and done, how long approximately is a round of combat exactly? Mostly trying to grasp the concept on how time passes so I can accurately determine how many rounds of combat it would take for a character to fatigue.
>>
>>48199492
One round is 6 seconds, in-universe.
>>
>>48186810
My Ranger's current goal is to get the BBEG's henchwench to ditch him and join up with our party, or at least not get involved in any of the battles.
He's mildly infatuated with her. Other than that, enjoy a cold beer and a warm bed as often as possible while still making the world safe for decent folks and possibly looting some lost ruins on the side.
>>
>tfw you're stalking a shady character from the rooftops but you took Dust Devil instead of Levitate, so you couldn't levitate him up to your height and intimidate him batman style

Being a sorcerer is suffering sometimes.
>>
>>48199492
The answer to how long it takes for a character to fatigue is "however long it takes them to run out of HP", anon.
>>
>>48197273
This really needs to be a monk subclass rather than a completely new class. It's basically the same concept as the monk: using one's own life energy to perform supernatural feats with a more Eastern flavor than Vancian spellcasting. Consider using the Sun Soul monk as a base to work off of - they're the ones who specialize in energy blasts.
>>
>>48199309
>don't come up with interesting characters, just play the same boring adventurer again and again

Nah, fuck you buddy. If I want to be racist against dwarves, of course I'm going to treat dwarves like shit. Occasionally picking fights with the runts or refusing to help the dwarf party member is all fair play.
>>
>>48199492
The best way to interpret fatigue is using the HP system. While HP can be "meatpoints" it explicitly says in the book that it can be luck and fatigue.

Besides, the exhaustion system in D&D is brutal, you do realize it can just kill you without any HP damage all on its own right? And it takes a long rest to get rid of.

A good way to think about which one you should use is how they are both cured.

If you think your fatigue could be lessened after an hour of doing no strenuous activity, perhaps eating, drinking, and bandaging up some nasty scrapes? Then you should go with HP, since thats what a short rest is and you can't cure exhaustion with it.

Do you think you need a day to rest, doing nothing strenuous for 8 hours straight or you could literally die? Thats exhaustion.
>>
>>48199692
Except that there are also rules for levels of exhaustion, which is better for tracking long-term debilitating effects from things like environmental exposure and forced marches.
>>
>>48199515 >>4819952
That seems quick. See, I was thinking an hour's worth of combat would be tiring. But 600 rounds is ridiculous.

I ask because I'm trying to find a good way to implement combat fatigue.
>>
>>48199732
>>48199692
>>
>>48199603
>refusing to help the dwarf party member is all fair play.

Yeah, accept thats not whats being discussed here. Would poisoning the dwarf be fine? Because thats what is actually going on. A player tried to attack and poison another player with no provocation.

If you think that is fine I hope each party you join tries to brutally murder you every time you make a new character.
>>
>>48190870
>TOTALLY WORTH IT BRO
>>
>>48199732
If players are facing so many encounters in a day that just the fighting alone would tire them out, then they're naturally going to want to take rests just to get their HP back.
>>
>>48199753
I'm discussing people getting upset that players want to roleplay their character. I don't give a fuck about your specific example.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.