[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: m.jpg (702 KB, 910x682) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
702 KB, 910x682
you aren't allowed to pick an army if they are competitive edition

>Rules databases
https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
https://mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q
>>
It's kinda sad how fucked up the gaming side of 40k and the 40k community is. People who are the least bit competitive can be fucking ostracized, and players with even vaguely top-tier codices need to walk on damn eggshells.
>>
I just want to have fun /tg/

Why is your army the most fun?
>>
>>48123970
>I'm more of a victim!
>No, *I'm* more of a victim!
We whineseer now.
>>
>>48123990
I'd say everybody is equally a victim. Fluffy players can't do their army's theme properly (CSM, Nids, Orks) and competitive players with good codices can't actually compete.
>>
>>48123970
My LGS is pretty much the exact opposite of /tg/, everyone is encouraged to go as waac as possible because everyone else playing is playing as waac as possible

I met the only other tau player at my LGS yesterday who's apparently been playing since 5th ed, i asked him for his opinion about using aun'va with 2 breacher teams to grant them FNP and more mobility ontop of thier 5+ invuln

He didn't know who aun'va was and told me that for the same cost I can just get a stormsurge, so theres no point thinking about other stuff
>>
>>48123970
Blame GW's crushing apathy towards balance for that. If they cared enough to write a decent game, the fanbase wouldn't have to bully and cajole certain players into dumbing their lists down.
>>
File: Frustration area.jpg (68 KB, 546x720) Image search: [Google]
Frustration area.jpg
68 KB, 546x720
>>48124059
I get the feeling that /tg/ lies about the state of their LGS more often than not. If every fucking LGS was full of Nid, BA, CSM, DE and Ork players, with the only problems being the autistic and fat Tau/Eldar player, nobody would ever complain. The truth of things is often in the middle, methinks.
>>
Ahriman can't roll on divination sub edition

Though if I tried it I don't think anyone would stop me
>>
File: [Loud Sweating].png (87 KB, 406x314) Image search: [Google]
[Loud Sweating].png
87 KB, 406x314
Is taking a Dreadnought at 500 points a dick move?
>>
>>48124179
Not really since it's a ground based vehicle with average armour and will not likely make back it's points. Some very casual people might complain about an ironclad though.
>>
Hey /tg/,
I'm looking for clever ideas for a faction name in a campaign.
The faction is human-centric (IG/SoB/R&H), but isn't the "good guys" faction of the campaign.
>>
Heres the aun'va breacher team list i mentioned before, opinions please

Shock and Awe-n'va - 1250 pts

HQ - 100 pts
Aun'va + bodyguards

Elites - 171 pts (single unit, may or may not deepstrike)
2x fusion blaster + TL crisis suit
Plasma + twin linked plasma crisis suit
Plasma + twin linked plasma crisis suit

Troops - 584 pts
Drone sentry turret with deepstrike + disruption pod
Drone sentry turret with deepstrike + disruption pod
9x breachers, 1x shas'ui, 1x guardian drone, emp grenades, devilfish with sensorspines and SMS
9x breachers, 1x shas'ui, 1x guardian drone, emp grenades, devilfish with sensorspines and SMS

Fast attack - 130 pts
4x pathfinders 1x ion rifle pathfinder
4x pathfinders 1x ion rifle pathfinder

Heavy Support
2x Missilesides
2x Missilesides

aun'va rides with a breacher team in a devilfish, when they are close to the enemy aun'va is positioned at the front of the breachers just behind his bodyguard for 8 total ablative wounds, when the bodyguards are dead aun'va has a 5+/6++, FNP(6+) and then an additional save after all of that based on the AP of the weapon that hit him

the turrets will ideally deepstrike into cover for 3+ saves near where the breachers are going to be, or next to an objective as it has obsec for some stupid reason
>>
>>48124251
I'd be very worried for aun'va's health and safety with such risky tactics and such poor saves.
>>
>>48124228
The Ever Faithful

>Depends on what the R&H is running? Chaos Guardsman? Renegade Guardsman that have no ties to Chaos? Mutants? R&H is a broad brush.

(Assuming Chaos Guardsmen) I'd go for something to show that both sides are crazy devoted to their gods.

>What are the other factions?
>>
>>48123970
I know what you mean.

I play tau and I love suits but I didn't want a brainless army, I wanted something tactical that you actually had to think to use so I bought a farsight army with an optimized stealth cadre.

I've had a ton of fun with it but other people bitch about it just because it has a trick to hit rear armour and is really shooty, an ork player has flat-out refused any more games if I dont play a basic CAD (like I couldn't just bring riptides and suits in a CAD anywhere.

It's really frustrating.
>>
>>48124274
it depends on what is hitting him, there is an abundance of AP2 and AP3 weapons being spammed at my LGS, so Aun'va essentially has 5+/6++/FNP6+/3+++ vs AP3 weapons

he will die to buckets of dice being thrown at him ,but thats not really unique to aun'va
>>
>>48123975

Because my opponents don't know much about my faction other than "Kill the keyboard tanks first", when there is:
>Scouting ignores cover meltaguns 11" from your table edge on turn 1
>25 point characters that grant re-roll saves, re-roll wounds or Smash at I3
>a 135 point blob-devouring character that sweeping advances your shit at I7 or can hit&run away if it gets bored
>Has a cheap as shit walker that is 80pts, cannot be shaken/stunned, has 2 Heavy Flamers and had 6 attacks on the charge
>>
>>48124290
>I wanted something tactical
>Brings optimized stealth cadre

Tau players, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>48124315
Keyboard tank? Sorry I don't know what that is.
>>
I started to get some responses at the ass end of the last thread.
Long story short I have a Slaanesh Daemons army I haven't done anything with since 6th ed and I'm thinking about picking it back up. I know psychic powers changed as they were explaining that in the last thread, I'm not entirely sure I'd want to roll with them now, but I used to really like stuff like Choir out of the Slaanesh spells.

If I were to go full slaanesh do you think it would be better to abandon spells or double down and try to make everyone a psyker?
>>
>>48123970
True. I play Eldar; I have been playing them since 4th, and now I always have problems with some players, who will directly forbid me to play some units if I want to play with them.

The best part? They play Tau, Necrons and Space Marines.
>>
>>48124322
There is this delusion that all the extras that Tau have somehow mean there is more tactics involved. i'm not sure where it came from but it is a blight.
>>
>>48124349
to use some units*
>>
>>48124330
Sisters of Battle's Exorcists
Aka the D6 S8 AP1 tank
>>
>>48124286

At the moment it's just 3 people per faction. Our faction has the armies I mentioned earlier.
We were thinking of something clever/humerous, for example
>Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Ogryns
>>
>>48124367
Ah ok, looked up a picture to see why it has that nickname. Didn't expect it to be that in your face!
>>
>>48124322
>>48124353
>Mention tau
>HURR DURR TAU HATE MEME
Good job shitting up the thread when I was just trying to talk about my army.

There is nothing wrong with the optimized stealth cadre and it even forces you to take sub-optimal units compared to some of the over powered bullshit other formations have, the benefit is that you can hit rear armours easier.
>>
You must give your warlord or member of your army that did something of note from your last game an interview. How does it go?
>>
>>48124332
Slaanesh Daemons work either way. With lot of psykers or few of them.

I personally use one KoS and two Heralds, all with max out psy.
>>
>>48124367
>Sisters of Battle
Who?

>>48124332
Always double down on psyker levels with daemons. You want lots of telepathy/malefic daemonology, the Slaanesh powers are kinda shitty except for two of them, you can gamble for them if you want after you get shrouding/invisibility, psychic scream and cursed earth.
>>
File: P2260541.jpg (2 MB, 2112x2816) Image search: [Google]
P2260541.jpg
2 MB, 2112x2816
>>48124418
Unavailable for comment, he returned to his slumber after preventing the Blood Ravens from stealing his sacred Dreadnought chassis.
>>
>>48124414
>it even forces you to take sub-optimal units

which unit are you talking about:

a JSJ MC that has stealth + shrouded, guarenteed 2+ cover save from 12"+ attacks and can force snap shots if it needs to which costs the same as a full kroot squad is suboptimal?

or

infiltrating JSJ dakka spam, that also has stealth + shrouded and can give you a non-scatter deepstrike on your crisis bomb

the stealth suits are expensive when compared to crisis suits but come the fuck on, these are not sub optimal units when they can almost automatically pen any vehicle they decide to look at
>>
>>48124493
The white's a little too thick for me. What did this boxman do? What is his story?
>>
>>48124506
So since you seem to know about Tau. I Tried to make a Tau list like a week ago but all these extra systems and shit i couldn't make heads or tails of it.
>>
Sometimes it feels as though these threads only really have SM, Eldar + Tau in them.

I get that the other races aren't as powerful on the tabletop apparently right now but where are the players who play for fun?
>>
>>48124555
I've seen Chaos lists before.
>>
>>48124535
It was painted in my teens many years ago when I didn't know how to use the foundation paints properly. Over the course of a game his Plasma Cannon destroyed two terminator squads, and his mighty missile launcher accounted for a chapter master. The investment:return ratio on his points has been off the charts ever since. The buff to the base attacks has made me try the fist with excellent results as well.
>>
>>48124590
Is the missile launcher ever worth it?
>The investment:return ratio on his points has been off the charts ever since
How so?
>>
>>48124418
Interviewing a Dark Eldar...it will be alright, guys, right?
>>
>>48124555

They're all at your flgs.
Talk to the guy at your store, let him know that you're looking for a *fun* opponent. Ask him to put a Flyer up on the desk letting people know of your search.
>>
>>48124418
Sergeant got BLAM'd by his Commissar for killing a Terminator in close combat and winning the fight
>>
File: 20160702_133424-1600x1200.jpg (447 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20160702_133424-1600x1200.jpg
447 KB, 1600x1200
>>48124418
Ask this guardian what the fuck he was thinking
>>
>>48124628
I know some are there but unfortunately I am still painting my first army.

Want it to look good for my first game. Dark Eldar so according to this place I'll get smashed to bits but hopefully it'll be fun.
>>
File: 1393460228092.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1393460228092.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>48124418
>>
>>48124620
Just been lucky with him since then. Surviving Melta attack biker drive bys, hammernators, Elysian Vulture runs. It always makes it's points back and then some. I don't keep track of precise numbers for obvious reasons but somewhere between 1.5-2.0 times his worth seems about right. The missile launcher is probably not worth it over the fist anymore but I like how it looks and the extra small blast against landing Elysians is pretty effective.
>>
>>48124624
Depends on the DEldar. Lelith doesn't rape, she just kills people. Hope your DEldar is like her.
>>48124666
That Commissar ought to be BLAM'd.
>>48124700
I never thought the missile launcher was ever worth it.
>>
>>48123970
Blame GW's inability to even try to balance the game then. Because a lot of this game boils down to "whoever bought the most broken units of the edition" with a small percentage of luck on top. Imagine the poor Ork player you invited to fight your gunline Necron decurion or the chaos space marine player who has to try and fight Eldar. At that point it's just not fun. It's not the Ork player's fault that his codex is outdated garbage.

Sure, be competitive in a tournament or if you're playing against "that guy" at your local hobby shop, but there's nothing wrong with powering down in a friendly game against non-eldar/SM/Necron/Tau so it's a bit more fun for everyone involved instead of a one-sided curbstomp.
>>
>>48124450
Good to hear they are still like that. I was honestly a little worried.
>>48124454
>Sisters
I have an army but I'm straying away from them currently as they are what caused me to pit down the game for a while last time. You occasionally find them sprinkled about gaming groups.

Thank you for the suggestions on which powers to go after. If I decide to summon a bit should I still bring the portalglyph like I used to in 6th to occasionally make a small unit?

What is the opinion on the Slaanesh Daemons formation? Too expensive?
>>
>>48124729
I like how Necron Decurions are considered on par with WK and Riptide spam.
>>
What do I do about a cheating orc player? I mean he's cheating but its also orcs. Specifically he flips dice if opponents aren't paying attention, conveniently forgets rules that would hinder him until matches are over, and takes a fair amount of extra boys since only one or two people want to bother counting how many he has since that eats too much time. I'd have more pity if he was a long time orc player upset at what's happened to his army but he just got into the game and having known him for awhile know he's a hipster waacfag. I would just continue to not play him but all the compaints from others along with his own bragging in the flgs are getting old.
>>
>>48124531
>buying a power weapon for a librarian
>buying a combi-grav for a non-relentless model
>not taking Special/Heavy Weapons on tacticals when possible
>already starting the Grav spam
3.5/10
>>48124414
It wasn't an unjustified memepost. You're complaining that an Ork player won't let you ravage him with your extremely competitive suit based Tau army.

Plus the utter retardation of claiming that a formation that lets you ignore unit positioning is tactical.
>>
>>48124418
It's quite hard to interview someone who ended up plastered to every wall in the building he was taking cover at

An ion rifle pathfinder who's entire team was wiped out in turn 1 by 2 leman russ tanks focusing their building, he still passes ld test

over the next 4 turns he overcharges his ion rifle sucessfully every time, destroyed the main gun of one leman russ, scattered a shot over a wounded heavy weapons team to finish them off, killed a good chunk of guards who were LoSing thier commisar and forced them to flee the turn after

turn 5, his good luck of good shots and being ignored by the enemy starts to turn, he fails his overcharge but makes his armor save, at the very least its the end of turn 5 and he will live to see another day and be promoted to shas'ui

>IG rolls a 6 to continue the game

The remaining heavy weapons team had enough of his shit and focused him with 2 missile launchers, both of them direct hit and he is blown to pieces

god speed you beautiful rifletau o7
>>
>>48124759
For everyone not in the top tier, the Necron decurion can be an oppressively unfinished experience. The army is stupidly durable, has guns that can hurt anything, and have one of the best CC units in the game.
>>
>>48124780
who gives a fuck if he is orc, cheating is cheating, call him out on it
>>
So as a BA player am i just worst of the SM codexes or am i one of the worst codexes in general?
>>
>>48124059
>He didn't know who aun'va was
Fucking WAAC meta net list spamming tourney faggots.
Casual 40k is best 40k.

>>48124555
Because those are the three most common broken bullshits that people play against, thus come here to bitch about it.
How often do you hear about someone getting wrecked by SOB? Or DE? Or Guard? Or anything else that isn't part of the D weapon grav spam meta?

>>48124780
You call the faggot out. No passive aggressive shit.
>>
>>48124845
Worst of the loyalist astartes. Fifth worst codex in the game. Better than Orks, CSM, Dark Eldar, and Tyranids.
>>
>>48124780
yea... no fuck that guy i got a player who im sure will do something similar when he starts playing because he already cheats when we are playing friendly games of magic by stacking cards.
>>
>>48124866
its even worse when my opponents are GKs, Raven gaurd, Eldar, and Necrons, and our one lowely ork player who is in it for the fun and always has been.
>>
>>48124315
>Put 5 Pianos on a Skyshield with a VSG behind it
>Enemies spend the entire game trying to kill them
>They're not even all that good, my MSU Battle Sisters get twice as many kills while actually capturing objectives and shit
>>
>>48124843
>>48124857
Alright, I'll pay attention to his games from now on. Biggest problem is I haven't been around for most of them since I honestly didn't want to hang around the guy but I'll also pass that along to the rest of the group.
>>48124872
Funny, that's how I learned the guy I'm talking about is a shitter too. Did the same thing.
>>
So I've kind of wanted to paint my Chaos marines as Death Guard themed, even the non-plague marine units.

Would they look kind of shitty as nurgle themed without any modding of the units ie putty-ing some barnacles and shit on them?

Also I'm abit of a nerd and I like for my army to be sorta lore friendly. Would it break any lore rules (lol) to paint them death guard color without them being plague marines?
>>
>>48124927
Not if you play Horus Heresy. And even if you don't, just give them marks of nurgle to assuage your hangups.
>>
>>48124866
Why are all the bad codexes the races that I like the most?
>>
>>48124927
What you could always do is paint the models to look diseased and decayed. Use the rust and slime technical effects to make it look like there's all kinds of horrible fluids oozing out of the joints of their armour. That would be enough to carry the theme along, I think.
>>
>>48124315
>Scouting ignores cover meltaguns 11" from your table edge on turn 1
How exactly does that work? They deploy 48" away, Scout redeploy to 36" away, Cruise to 24" away, and Flat Out to 18" away. So you've fired no weapons, you're still not 11" from the opposing table edge as claimed, and your AV10 rear armor is exposed to things that will ruin your day. I'm not saying Dominions are bad, I'm just saying I think you've misread a rule somewhere.
>>
>>48124924
they are just the worst people right? i mean i always thought he had lucky draws until i literally watched him do it. so im pretty weary about playing him in a dice game based on chance. He also has tried multiple times to make really WAAC lists. he even asked me recently if he could make an Unbound list.
>>
>>48123975
Lots of customization for army and squad leaders, a mix metween MEQ and horde units, giant dinobots, and a few amazingly detailed models to paint. -CSM
>>
>>48125016

>Get Melta dominions
>Put Melta dominions in immolator
>Put down on deployment line 36" from opponents edge, 12" from your own
>Scout redeploy Immolator 12" to centre of table, 24" away
>Turn 1
>Immolator moves 6" so rear door is facing forward, 18" away
>Put Superior at Immolator door, 25mm base is roughly 1", 17" away
>The rest of the unit can then move 6" from the Superior's base, 11" away from opponents table edge
>>
File: 99120105054_Taurox02[1].jpg (39 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99120105054_Taurox02[1].jpg
39 KB, 600x620
Okay, so let's talk Taurox.

>Taurox
>pro: morefirepower than a Chimera
>pro: Dangerous Terrain re-rolls for free
>pro: 4 fire points
>pro: 15 points less than a Chimera
>con: slightly less armor
>con: can't issue orders

>Taurox Prime
>pro: Fast vehicle
>pro: WAY more firepower than a Chimera
>pro: Dangerous Terrain re-rolls for free
>con: 15 points more than a Chimera

So in comparison to literally the best transport in 40k it's...average. Is the real reason we don't like this thing because of those god-awful track pods?
>>
>>48123450
There's Forgeworld bits involved. I'm under no illusions that it will be anything but a money pit.

>>48123524
They're supposed to represent Terminators. I like the sculpts and they seem to be scaled better than Terminators, apart from skipping leg day.

>>48123669
Limited pose seems like the only actual issue there, but that's a good point. Maybe I'll just do a squad of them instead of making an army of figures all with the same passive pose.
>>
>>48124780
Cheating is cheating. Watch him like a hawk. Write down his rules and gently remind him of them when relevant. Make him roll his dice out in the open with witnesses. The enjoy the satisfaction of watching him squirm like an eel.
>>
>>48125128
>we
speak for yourself

taurox is cute
>>
>>48125016
>Deploying along short edges
People do this?
>>
Im fairly new to 40k, and i want to make an ok list that is still safley not cheesey. Only problem is i picked eldar.
1)how effective are 3 war walkers with missiles for anti air?
2) anything i should definitely avoid?
3) is a wraithknight ok in a 2000pt army if it only exists to engage other lords of war in glorious melee?
>>
>>48125202
Usually a third of the times.
>>
>>48125216
>how effective are 3 war walkers with missiles for anti air?
Can't help there, not much air in my local meta.
>anything i should definitely avoid?
Warp Spiders, Wraithguard, Hemlock, Vaul's Wrath
>is a wraithknight ok in a 2000pt army if it only exists to engage other lords of war in glorious melee?
Just houserule it to 450 points and play it at whatever points value to want.
>>
>>48125216
You've picked eldar. You'll be more than okay no matter what you do, especially since you plan on a Wraith Knight. So I'll just recommend that you buy whatever you think looks/sounds coolest and not worry too much about it metagaming or people bitching on the internet.

Also depending on how new you are, you should probably set your ambitions lower than 2000 points to begin with. Try 1000.
>>
>>48125216
>anything I should avoid

Jetbikes. They are broken on several levels. JSJ, 36" turbo-boost, weapon upgrade on every bike, scatter laser spam. They are absurd, and fielding them -in any capacity at all- instantly makes you cheesy.
I know it sucks, and it's GW's fault. But that's the reality.
>>
>>48125216
1) Anti-Air is usually one of two things. Weapons with Skyfire or weapons that have a lot of shots.

2) Not really, every unit is pretty good. Units to be careful of: Wraithguard w/ D-Scythes, Wraithknights, Excessive Warpspiders, Jet Bikes with excessive heavy weapons.

3) at 2000pts you're good for a LoW. Party on.
>>
File: 99120105054_Taurox01.jpg (38 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99120105054_Taurox01.jpg
38 KB, 600x620
>>48125128
you can compare the taurox to a chimera but the taurox prime is for special snowflakes only, so it simply aint a competitor most of the time.

As for your comparison:

argueable, a chimera packs 2 heavy weapons, and especially a heavy flamer is nice when you want to clear an objective
but unfortunatly they are on opposite sites of the vehicle so you often get to use only 2
but better side armor
only relevant for command squads, for your standard infantry/vet squad carrier it means nothing.
Also not amphibious and has no lasgun array.

Overall they are pretty much a good alternative rulewise as they balance out advantages and drawbacks.
what i find most interesting is that it can apparently either have the autocannons on a turret (good) or along the axis(see pic) which looks better but is worse ingame.
knowing GW they will say as per model
>>
>>48125128

Probably. If it had wheels it would look worlds better.
>>
>>48124866
Blood Angels arent better than Tyranids. I play both, and I can get Nids way more competitive with just two Flyrants in a CAD.
>>
I heard Orks are both fun as fuck and fairly cheap.

Would an army made of a Warboss with some boys and nobs be both fun and cheap?
>>
>>48125128

Depends on you calculate it. Chimera won't be out of weapons when hit by a Weapon Destroyed result and has way more option to pick from.

In pairs of 2, painting to the sides. There's very few cases where the unit being transported can fire out from both at the same time. Meanwhile the Chimera's fire points are 360. And you got the lasguns.

If two points is "slightly". The chimera is immune to S4 and S5 from the front, the Tauros is not.

You also forgot the fact that Chimera can transport 12 vs. 10 in the Tauros.

>Is the real reason we don't like this thing because of those god-awful track pods?

No, it's because it's shit when compared to the alternative.
>>
>>48125356
No. Orks are total shit, everyone who plays them tells me they hate them and the rest have already switched armies.

Warboss, boyz and nobs are cheap but they would just get stomped on the table, it wouldn't even be a real game.
>>
>>48125386
Even if we're talking <=1000 pt casual matches?
>>
File: mrap_taurox_conversion_plan.jpg (146 KB, 800x553) Image search: [Google]
mrap_taurox_conversion_plan.jpg
146 KB, 800x553
>>48125128
I personally don't like the entire front half, especially the doors for the access points on top of what you mentioned. Also GW missed out on a fun weapons option, TL Heavy Flamers would be a fun choice.

I want to get the MT Start Collecting to add to my mech Guard army but I'm new to conversions so trying to make it more like pic related sounds like a pain.
>>
>>48124414
>there is nothing wrong with the optimized stealth cadre

Except that it makes vehicles, which already suck for several reasons, even worse. It's an auto-win vs. any mechanized list.
And listening to Tau players attempt to explain how it's fluffy is akin to watching a monkey drink it's own piss.

Taufaggot, your gravy train has about one year left. Watching you fucking retards sperg out when your absurd army is taken down a few notches- it's going to be priceless.
>>
>>48125216
>1)how effective are 3 war walkers with missiles for anti air?
For whatever is available as AA they are rather good, especially since they can contribute when no flyers/grav is on the table, unlike a hydra. However they are very fragile and squadrons mean damage gets spilled onto them fast, also they have to fire at the same target, it probably is better to have them single choices or a 2 walker squad and a single.
>2) anything i should definitely avoid?
Mmhh wraithguard is mean, especially the flamer type.
Jetbikes are better taken with only one scatterlaser/shuricannon per three as was the rule in the previous codex.
Wraithknight is undercosted.
Vauls wrath support batteries with D-Cannon. (people often forget there are two other weapon choices, both are rather mediocre all things considered)
3)
yes, it is too cheap for what it does, but hey one is ok. Keep in mind many armies do not bring superheavies though.
However fairly new I think you should keep to smaller games first, if you are new.
>>
>>48125392
Unfortunately so, you have to play with very optimized ork lists to have fun with them and then only vs casual armies.
>>
>>48125423
Guess I can get dem gitz next codex
>>
>>48125400
I'm actually trying it right now. The track pods came off easily enough, I might use them for kitbashing some Rapiers at some point in the future. I ordered some 27mm military-style wheels, and with a plasticard/greenstuff wheel hub they should fit on like a dream.
>>
>>48123901
Is there a .pdf of Warzone Fenris anywhere that contains the new Daemon goodies? The .pdf in the mega seems to only contain Space Wolves stuff.
>>
>>48125434
The mega has it, it's under dataslates and supplements. Look for Fenris War Zone Curse of the Wulfen.

Just keep flipping through the space marine stuff.
>>
File: MRAP[1].jpg (85 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
MRAP[1].jpg
85 KB, 768x576
>>48125432
That's good, looking at the sprue I think I'm not going to have a very easy time modifying the side doors to something more flat.
>>
>>48125465
Thanks, m8.
>>
>that feel when your dremel makes the perfect divet in shoulders/necks for Fire Warrior helmets
>>
>>48125527
Anything for a fellow heretic
>>
>>48125493

There have been similar attempts to that. Have some inspiration.
>>
will there be new Allies whenever the next codes drops for C:SM?

a friend of mine plays it and i would really like to ally them with Tau. seems like it'd be fun.
>>
>>48125434
>>48125465
>>48125527
>>48125543
Anything worth taking in that? Seems to me that requiring you to take that many units (Slaanesh being the least with only having to take 6) would be a fucking pain in the dick.
>>
>>48123990
Funny thing is, I've forgotten what the original name of Whineseer is, I've used it so much.
>>
Guys, what is this weeks release? I originally thought the AoS stuff was going to be over a few weeks but the madmen actually released it all on one day.

So, I heard rumours of a Codex: Genestealer and Codex: Deathwatch; are these true?
>>
>>48125704
Horse Hearsay plastics as individual releases.
>>
What's the funnest Ork list y'all have played?
>>
>>48125615
Depends.
They're not that bad.
Nurgle's Tallyband gets Overwatch immunity.
Tzeentch can use Exalted Flamers
Khorne can go Multiple Dog spam.

The bonus for +/- 1 to the Storm and Corruption is huge

Infernal Tetrad is silly.
Soulgrinders are already pretty good and you get a take 3 Formation.
And at nothing else you get pretty baller relics, Warlord Traits, and Psy powers.
>>
>>48125745
Neat. What kind of HH plastics and what are the individual releases? I want Forge World to hurry up with IA14.
>>
>play orks
>lose

NEW
CODEX
WHEN
>>
>>48125787
Splitting up Betrayal at Calth into individual boxes
>>
>>48125704
>So, I heard rumours of a Codex: Genestealer and Codex: Deathwatch; are these true?
Sure hope so. I have a deathwatch Overkill box that demands a greater purpose.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 275x183
Are Cult Mechanicus/Skitarii powerful? The theoretical output for most models seems nice, but they all look pretty flimsy to nearly all weapons
>>
File: DSC_0218.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0218.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>48124418
It's not that I didn't get to use my fancy claw, or that we didn't get into combat. It's that I went down like a bitch to bolt pistols because my moron Commander thought that he got to pick which of us died. Hopefully my soulstone gets put into a wraithlord chassis so I can bitchslap the stupid out of him.
>>
>>48124730
>What is the opinion on the Slaanesh Daemons formation?

There is one? You mean a Start Collecting box or the one from Wulfen?
>>
>>48125754
I had a really fun game against my roommate using my Stompa and a bunch of lootas.

Pretty much the guy asks me to make a Stompa list because the model is cool. Meanwhile he goes unbound and takes SIX heavy support slots, five of which were AV. He played SW and took 3 long fang teams (1LasCan, 1ML, and 1HB) all of which had LasCan Razorbacks as DTs, two las Preds and a vindicator I think. Anyway he also set up all the terrain while I was upstairs in such a way to bottle neck the center of the table so tight I couldn't fit my Stompa through.

Fuck it, let's play anyway. We roll for mission type and get the relic. I get first turn and grab it with some MANz who immediately die. I also roll hot with my supa-rokkits and kill two tanks and a hand full of Yiffs turn 1.

Eventually the mid table clusterfuck gets resolved and I end up ferrying the relic out to my side of the board while my Stompa just blocks the small pass in the terrain and just eats round after round of AV. He eventually goes down, but it was too late and the game ended with my Warboss holding the relic with about 20 boys, hiding behind two big blobs of lootas.

Not the orky, but fuck it, I painted my guys as Death Skulls anyway.
>>
>>48125839
think your paints
>>
>>48123901
I need some advice from people who play the game more than me

Me (Tyranid) and a friend (Ork) are doing 1500pts each against another friend who is doing 3000pt (Eldar), Eldar man has a wraithknight, prism, serpent, jetbike farseer and a myriad of aspect warriors and Wraithblades, Is there any combination me and my ork friend can make that can actually win? Or even make it a close game?
>>
>>48125792
9th edition. We'll be Orukks by then though.
>>
>>48124816
I don't understand all the hate against it. The formation only gives reroll 1s on reanimation 12" from the overlord plus relentless (no heavy weapons in the base decurion) and one other buff I forget. It's good mind you but it's not awful to play against.
>>
>>48125996
You didn't really give us much to work with.

Is the Eldar player a WAAC? Does he have loads of Heavy Weapon bikes? You said Wraithblade, so not Wraithguard? Only one Wraithknight or multiple?

Because honestly the force you just described isn't that bad.

Bring stuff to fight T3 critters / T6 / Vehicles.

Do either of you have a LoW to fight the Wraithknight?
>>
>>48125615
new, powerful relic and an expanded psychic power pool for each god.
formations for soul grinders and mono-god armies, but you need 7 similar units for slaanesh.
>>
>>48125615
Once my last box of horrors arrive I'll be trying out the Warpflame host with a Forge Host as my auxiliary. 5 units of Horrors, 4 Exalted flamers (I'm proxying 3 regular flamers as Exalted because fuck it until Exalted Flamers are actually sold outside of the chariot) with Fateweaver or a regular LoC as the warlord. Depending on points, I can sub out the Forge Host for Karanak. Fuck the Tetrad, it's way too expensive no matter how funny a Khorne psyker would be.

S7 flickering fire, rerolling instability, +1/-1 to the Warp Storm table, Daemonic Corruption, S10 Blue Fire, and S6 Pink Fire with torrent, and the Soul Grinders rerolling to hit/to wounds ain't nothing to sneeze at. And that's all before adding malefic summoning into the mix.
>>
>>48126069
He isn't 100% a WAAC kinda player but he does tend to lean towards OP stuff, he has 1 wraithknight, 1 prism, 1 serpent, A squad of Blade and Guard, jetbike farseer with other jetbikes (no idea what type) spiders, scorpions, many guardians and war walkers

I have the swarmlord (though I don't use him) and friend has Ghazzy, we both have enough Nids and Orks to make just about any list combination
>>
>>48123975
Because I have the means to play whatever kind of list I bloody want!

A tide of men engulfing the enemy in their sweat and blood? check.
Mechanized army with tanks on every corner? check.
Gunline protecting a fuckload of artillery? check.
Close-combat oriented blobs of fanatic bastards? FUCKING check.
A mix of all of that? Hell yeah, man, check.

The imperial guard is the best army
>>
>>48125403
Except the new fluff stats that the suits are going in to mass production and tau forces are starting to adopt them over the outdated tanks?

Stealth cadre IS fluffy.
It's fluffy for the pragmatist faction to use only the best units.
>>
>>48126100
Honestly sounds like it will be a good game. Only thing I'm worried about is how you two to stop the Wraithknight. (Is it melee Wraithknight or Ranged?)

I know more of Tyranids than Orks. Don't underestimate Biovores. 45 pts for S4 AP4 large blast is golden.
>>
>>48123975
My guys never die and the aesthetic is 100/10
-Necrons
>>
>>48126140
He has it magnetised and ran it Melee once which I killed (using 500 points worth of stuff for 3 turns...) since then he has stuck with ranged, which I just haven't been able to deal with. I was thinking maybe 2 Flyrants or exocrine to try and harass it, maybe even poison hormas if they can get close but itll just do a stomp and kill them all
>>
>>48123975
I like daemons because I've always enjoyed playing as a summoner in RPGs and the RANDOM FUN tables ensure no game is the same twice.

Daemons also scratch that "giant terrifying monster" itch that I enjoy. That's probably how I ended up buying two Bloodthirsters recently...
>>
What is a WAAC?
>>
>>48126043
>the other buff I forget
+1 reanimation protocols across the army is a pretty big buff to forget.
>>
>>48125793
Neat.

>>48125811
Me too. The Deathwatch potential will solve the itch I have for doing Marines, but allowing me to have my favourite Chapters.

>>48125834
Yes. They're powerful. They took a huge nerf with being unable to go inside Drop Pods, but that'll be slightly rectified with IA14 giving them transports (some of which are pretty good).
>>
>>48126182
Win At All Costs

The kinda assholes who play the most OP armies with the most OP set up instead of just playing an army you like
>>
>>48124694
GET OUT ASSHOLETEP
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>48126085
Almost exactly what I'm running - 6 units of horrors 3 flamers, fateweaver, lord of change, forgehost.

Its amazing and everyone hates my summon spamming army with auto-cannon wielding horrors.
>>
>>48126182
Win At All Costs. Somebody who mathhammers every unit to work out which is the best, uses optimized lists, uses the most powerful things, to make sure they win. Rather than choosing what they like and having a different kind of fun.
>>
>>48126138
You say that like anyone would or should pay attention to new Tau fluff.
>>
>>48126183
It's only reroll 1s with the decurion. You need a cryptek to +1 on reanimation and even then that's only the unit the cryptek is in
>>
>>48125996

you and your nid friend will get slaughtered wholesale
>>
>>48126223
no, the decurion gives +1 reanimation.
the reclamation legion gives re-roll 1's within 12" of the overlord.
>>
File: tcpts_arnold.jpg (64 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
tcpts_arnold.jpg
64 KB, 600x700
>>48126132
strong case, Anon.

Downside being that you have to paint humans, which sounds boring to me...
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (415 KB, 1920x1079) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
415 KB, 1920x1079
>>48126132

This. This is one of many reasons why I love the Guard.

>giant honking cannons that can delete entire squads
>big angry tanks that can take mountains of punishment and deal it out in equal measure
>endless tides of men ready to lay down volleys of fire so thick you can't distinguish the shots, and when that doesn't work, every single one of them has a bayonet
>mechanized troops roaring across the battlefield in cheap, tough AFV's

And you can run an army comprised of any combination of the above and still have it be viable. No genetic supermen, no problem. Just blood, sweat, and steel.
>>
>>48126216
>>48126204
Oh. Those people are generally pretty sad from my experience.

I always thought this hobby was about painting shit you think looks cool not just about winning on the tabletop.
>>
>>48126223
nope, the decurion grants it to everything.
>>
>>48126227
This is what I assumed, Our armies are both very low tier compared to the Eldar, is there nothing we can do to even the playing field even a little?
>>
>>48126132
>>48126259
Sounds very interesting. Storm troopers in particular look fuckin great as do big tanks.

However it all seems very difficult to paint and a bit out of my league. How hard is it to learn?
>>
>>48126236
What's the decurion then? I thought they were all the same?
>>
Should a CSM player's first FA choice be bikes or raptors/warp talons in an otherwise DV CSM used as base, plasma-ridden footslogging army?
>>
>>48126168
A ranged WK can only kill two models a turn. Use this to your advantage.

DROWN it in bodies. Genestealers and other dedicated melee troops can work wonders here; they're only S5 but their rends can punch right through his armor save, and he only gets so many attacks in melee. Don't worry about the Stomp; it can be nasty but more often than not it'll just inflict a few wounds.

Generally, WK's suffer from the inability to kill very large numbers of models. Most of the other big walker models don't have this issue, due to their access to high-RoF weapons and big blasts. Not so the Wraithknight. It's fast, and it can take out high-priority models pretty reliably, but it can't deal with crowds.
>>
File: DSCF1672.jpg (3 MB, 4288x3216) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1672.jpg
3 MB, 4288x3216
>>48123975
My army?

100+ Mutants with Enforcers w/combat drugs and covenant of Slaanesh, so they all have fleet, backed up with a tide of Spawn and Mutant Ogryns. Thats an awful lot of diddly to mow down before you get hit with hundreds of CC attacks, even if they're shitty ones!

Its just such an enjoyable experience for me watching my shitty little Mutants run across the board, artillery blaring at their backs and huge monsters in front of them, screaming like lunatics. I imagine them being bums hopped up on PCP and cocaine, wearing filthy rags coloured in splashed on with whatever paints they could find, fighting with whatever they could.

Honestly Renegades and Heretics is, bar none, the most enjoyable army in the game. You can literally do anything, your imagination is the limit with their appearance and play style.
>>
>>48126262
Unfortunately, that never works out. AoS tried to encourage 'use the models you like' and that went down like a lead balloon. I mean, points were always going to come back, but the fact is most people ended up abusing the 'pick what you like' into exploiting shit to win. Defeating the purpose.

End of the day, they're always going to exist, even if they don't have points, people will not be able to resist winning. I specifically said 'different kind of fun', because if you go "they should play for fun" you get "BUT I HAVE FUN FROM CURBSTOMPING SCRUBS LOL".

Most people just want a balanced dex that can beat any other faction with luck or skill, not a dex that gets curbstomped regardless of luck or skill. The worse part is when a dex becomes monolist to even have a chance of winning. Then you get those dexes which are so much worse than their previous dex (Blood Angels, Grey Knights) that you wonder who the fuck greenlighted them...
>>
File: 20160425_231845.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160425_231845.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>>48126292
The guides covering how to paint Guard are very in-depth and easy to pick up. The designs of the models allow for easy painting in the lines and require little, if any, freehanding. In addition, you have mountains of cheap infantry to practice your technique on before you move to the good stuff, and later on if you don't like your early models, you can strip 'em and redo 'em.

Pic related; I've only been painting about a year. This one turned out better than most, but it wasn't very hard at all.
>>
>>48126223
That's with the Mephrit decurion, it's also in the regular decurion under the "enhanced RP" rules which allow re-roles of 1s for the warlord and all units within 12", all in addition to the 4+ RP
>>
>>48126138
I know it happens every thread, but the Taufag thought process is unreal.
I don't throw autist, or aspie around like a common insult- but you have to be somewhat deficient in socializing to think and behave this way.

In a game so unbalanced it relies on the players' good judgement to create a quality/fun experience - Tau idiots consistently demonstrate a willingness to field their best lists in every game, and justify it by way of their interpretation of the lore. Or 'my opponent will complain no matter what, might as well field 2 Riptide Wings and a double Stormsurge CAD.'

Anon was right when he predicted widespread meltdowns by the Taufags when 8th edition hits.
>>
>>48123975

Because the elusive full tactical squads are a pleasure to play with the proper chapter tactics. Stea.. Borro.. Acquiring pages from the Imperial fists' playbook, Tacticals with Heavy Bolters wreak havoc on infantry while camping on objectives while Devastators can concentrate on Tank hunting without too much reliance on metal boxes. Even Scouts get to fully partake Bolter Drill Party.

Mass infantry can be much funnier than parking a deathstar somewhere.
>>
>>48126206
>>48126085

I typically run two or three squads of horrors with the rest exalted flamers myself. A horror squad with two exalted flamers in it is actually incredibly devastating and hard to deal with, if only they didn't half-ass chaos rules constantly and actually let walking exalted flamers take gifts.

Forgehost seems incredibly strong to me though I haven't had a chance to run it myself. I'm slowly amassing a Nurgle decurion and will hopefully end up running a nurglehost + epidemius.
>>
>>48126311
The decurion is the meta-datachment for necrons. It provides a +1RP, and (iirc) ignore stunned/shaken on a 2+ to living metal to all models in the detachment

The reclamation legion is the core choice in a decurion detachment, and proves relentless, move through cover, and re-roll RP of 1 within 12" of the overlord
>>
>>48126372
>all this misuse of the term "decurion"
ugh.
>>
>>48126406
>>48126372

Holy fuck I've never used my army wide 4+. I've been dicking myself so hard.
>>
File: 1395600000966.jpg (946 KB, 2004x1650) Image search: [Google]
1395600000966.jpg
946 KB, 2004x1650
So I just made a brand new discord channel for WH40K. If anyone already uses Discord and wants to get in on it you're welcome to come. The few people in here aren't exactly experts on WH40K besides the fluff and video games but I for one am interested in learning more about the tabletop and all discussion on that is obviously welcome.

Anyways, check it out if you're bored or whatever just keep in mind we're literally just opening up shop and it's going to be slow as fuck at first.

https://discord.gg/62y8T
>>
>>48126430
Yeah check the Command Benefits section on the decurion detachment page.
>>
>>48126262
>I always thought this hobby was about painting shit you think looks cool not just about winning on the tabletop

Formation bonuses and over-the-top stupid like WarConvo, the Eldar Codex, OSC, Riptide Wings, free transports, Sky Hammer, shitty drop pod faq's, etc.. has encouraged and cultivated WAAC behavior. Ive been collecting (and playing a little too) since 1992. This is easily the worst condition the game and the playerbase has ever been in. I'm not sure GW is willing to make drastic enough changes to repair it.

Or, maybe I'm the one that needs to change? Perhaps the game is moving in the direction it should be, and I'm just getting too old for it.
>>
>>48124780
All those dudes have the right of it. FFS, the purpose of the game is to have fun--it's pretty shitty to swap & flub dice & such.

I understand getting frustrated because your army is underpowered, & changing it up can be cool (always talk before the match to see what's allowed & not--Mek Gunz with Zhadsnark, Superheavies, busted formations), but FUCK rolling 90 dice when you have 70.

>>48125161
This.
>>
>>48124730
Flayertroupe is kind of whatever, little expensive unless you just want to load up on daemonettes, and the - to WS/I is nice but doesn't impact them much that often (sans against other ws5/i5 troops). Good way to get the masque into a list though.

Grand cavalcade is actually great. Cheap as chips to take base, and you can go in any number of directions. Additional movespeed and d6 HoW hits doesn't make them any more sturdy but they will mow the lawn still.
>>
>>48126287

You can either talk with the eldar player and try to tone down his list or bring the best stuff your codice's have to offer (which still will be much worse than the eldar stuff), basically flyrants, mek guns, custom stompas, biker blobs, kill bursta tanks, etc
>>
>>48126287
It's not going to be that bad.
Make sure your tables have proper amount of terrain and Line of Sight blockers and party hard.
>>48126318
This guy has the right idea imo. If it's a ranged version you might be better off ignoring him or tarpitting him with cheap units.
>>
>>48125549
Kek. I mostly enjoy this conversion because they have the spare wheels on it: "THIS is how it should look, GW--the tracks are SHIT. WHEELS EVERYWHERE."

>>48125356
They're cheap for a reason; after one of the latest books hit & nerfed them rather than balanced Orks, they went on eBay on a fucking FIRE SALE. >>48125423 is pretty right--your opponents will likely tire of having to pull their punches on all their lists of those are the units you're going with.

I guess you could use my codex instead of theirs & it'd be fairly strong, but I don't know if your group would allow fandexes:

Bit ly/Orks7ePDF (period in the url space).
>>
>>48126543
>if its a ranged wraithknight its easier to tarpit
I don't understand this. It has the same number of attacks weather it has the sword or not. the only difference is s10 vs sD, which isn't a difference at all vs the things you will want to tarpit it with
>>
>>48126355
Wow that looks bloody great. I figured camo on stuff would be a very difficult job on stuff like sentinels, storm troopers, leman russ tanks etc.

How have you found that over the year?
>>
>>48125754
Got a list of 44 Rokkits every round.

Got another of about 25 small blasts per round. Gimmicky & retarded, but tons of fun.
>>
>>48126626
Camo is surprinsingly easy to do on bigger models like tanks and walkers

Infantry camo, however, I don't recommend. Especially if you're planning on building a whole platoon that way. Woe is me.
>>
>>48126314
Bikes for speed and increased toughness. Their threat will force the opponent to focus on the bikes while the rest of your army moves forward.
>>
>>48126617
True and I suppose overall you'd use the same tactic of tarpitting him regardless. I was more thinking that a melee D Wraithknight would be cutting up their TMC much easier than its shooty counterpart
>>
File: lo padre loco.png (5 MB, 1352x1520) Image search: [Google]
lo padre loco.png
5 MB, 1352x1520
>>48126251
There are plenty of cool wonky humans to paint, though.

Pic related
>>
File: ogryns.jpg (1 MB, 2364x1644) Image search: [Google]
ogryns.jpg
1 MB, 2364x1644
>>48126251
also ogryns, I love me some ogryns.
>>
Currently staring at the sprues for my Dark Eldar raider.

I have never assembled or painted a vehicle before and its terrifying. Do I assemble first? Paint first?

I am confused as hell and just really want this to look tabletop worthy.
>>
How douche-y is Skyhammer Annihilation Force?

Tau Tier?
Eldar Tier?
>>
>>48126762

Ogryns always bothered me fluff-wise. They're like mutants and barely human yet are allowed to be part of IG which is otherwise humans only.
>>
If I wanted to theme my Chaos army as Death Guard or Thousand Sons or something.. How do I get certain bits to help theme my units?

Like where do I get the little Egyptian things to put on chaos marines heads? Where do I get little wings if I wanna make night lords? Gas mask heads for Nurgle themed space marines, etc..
>>
>>48126796
What weapons do the Devastators have?
The answer will make it range from Necron to Eldar.
>>
>>48126802
>IG which is otherwise humans only

Look, just say it, you don't know shit about the fluff.

Abhuman regiments. Look it up.
>>
>>48126827
1. Grav Spam with combi grav on dev Sgt

2. Multi Meltas

3. HBs
>>
>>48126802
They're not mutants. They're abhumans (Abhumans breed true, while mutants don't).

And (my IG fluff isn't the best, but) they're not part of the true IG, but an auxiliary. (Like how Kroot are part of the Tau military, but aren't part of the Fire Caste)
>>
>>48126802
They are abhumans, which is different from mutants. They still respect the Holy Human Form, only larger and stupid. They have become that way through evolution, not warp or chemical mutation. So they're allowed to live in their own worlds and supply soldiers to the auxilliary corps, which isn't reeeeally part of the Guard.

Also the fact that when they were discovered they really loved the Emps and think every command descends from him directly.
>>
>>48126815
GW sells upgrade kits for rubrics and night lords. Forge World has Death Guard upgrade kits if you don't want to use the GW Plague Marines.
>>
File: THOUSAND-SONS-MARINES-1.jpg (217 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
THOUSAND-SONS-MARINES-1.jpg
217 KB, 800x800
>>48126815
Wargames Exclusive has some pretty neat Thousand Sons bits.
>>
File: Eldar-Start-collecting-2[1].jpg (71 KB, 416x567) Image search: [Google]
Eldar-Start-collecting-2[1].jpg
71 KB, 416x567
As IG that likes tanks how much of a chance do I have against Eldar? I expect something similar to 2 of pic related mixed with other units in a normal detachment, games are 500-1k points.
>>
>>48126945
these are fucking COOL

>>48126886
I highly doubt I'll ever go to an official tournament or event... but if I do, will I be denied using models that are upgraded with unofficial bits?
>>
>>48126219

Then by that logic why should anyone pay attention to the old lore either?
>>
anons, I love my raven guard deeply, and kauyon's Talon Strike Force finally gets me the ability to have the delicious meta manipulation I always wanted, but they're now so strong that my pure scout/drop/jump army I've been collecting for years just blows things away even when taking lists that are pure fluff but not intentionally gimping myself..... wat do? I really don't want to have to retire them in favor of a different army just to get games.

and no, I'm not doing mass drop pods, I have quite a few, but the most I play with sub-2000 is 3. current list version: pinion BDC, regular BDC, shadowstrike (I love VVs even if they're inefficient)
>>
>>48126979
>will I be denied using models that are upgraded with unofficial bits?

extremely unlikely, as long as they stick to the codex stats wise and its clear they look like what they are supposed to be, then you will be fine

the one thing you cant do is use smaller than normal bases on models, you will probably be kicked out instantly if you do that and they find out
>>
>>48126979
Unless you're going to some tourny at your local GW you should be fine. GW staff I have talked to don't mind third party bits so long as they only constitute like a third of a model but YMMV.
>>
>>48127019
It's objectively better.
>>
>>48126772
The raider has like three decks stacked on top of each other. Paint those first, as the middle one will be inaccessible once it's painted, and the top one has holes you can see through. It's not THAT visible once constructed, but could be frustrating to have it locked away. So you know, you'll have to scrape paint off anywhere that's going to touch when you build though

Other than that, don't glue the sail thingy (the whole assembly, including the pillers) on, and don't glue the crew on before painting them. Other than those, the outside, underside, engines and gun should be easy enough to access once its built.
>>
>>48126974

Expect the scatterbikes to teleport behind your tanks and nothin personal monkeigh them to death with an absurd amount of S6 shots.
>>
>>48127042

That's a nice joke there.
>>
>>48126399
How is 8th going to change anything? Is it going to make melee actually decent? If so, neat.

Also, I made a Tau List, but is this too WAAC?

HQ: Cadre Fireblade (60)
Troop: x5 Fire Warriors (45)
Heavy: Sky Ray Gunship (115)

Formation: Ranged Support Cadre
x4 Pathfinders (44)
x4 Pathfinders (44)
x4 Pathfinders (44)
x3 Broadsides with HYMP (195)
x3 Broadsides with HYMP with Advanced Targeting Systems (204)
x3 Broadsides with Heavy Rail Rifle with Advanced Targeting Systems (204)

Total: 1000

I also made a 1500 one.
>>
>>48127078
He's right however.
>>
>>48127042
I sure do miss Inquisitor Obi-wan Sherlock Clousseau.
>>
>>48127092

That's a matter of opinion really.

To some a lot of the old Tau lore wasn't as interesting as it is today.
>>
>>48127092
Explain how it's any better. With objective statements, please.
>>
>>48127079
that's a fairly ok list, I'd play against it.
yes the braodsides are strong, but as soon as you take any kind of casualties you'll be taking leadership, and at 1000pts there is enough space for even midtier armies to take sufficient AP2 to fight you. also your lack of objective secured means that most armies should win an average maelstrom game against you.
>>
>>48127097
Nice meme, but nothing to do with tau fluff sorry.
>>
>>48127111
Older tau lore didn't exist solely to push sales.
>>
>>48127111
Losing a few planets actually meant something to the Tau, as unlike the Imperium, they're a tiny dot that the Imperium could steamroll if they cared. This is also true for the Orks, Eldar, Tyranids, and Necrons. Yet the new fluff in one of the books implies that they'd easily either retake or simply ignore those two-three important planets they lost.

>>48127155
This too, the Tau hated the concept of mechs and walkers, they weren't mobile enough. I myself kind of like them, but I also hate the fact that they retconned lore just to make sales. I wish that they expanded upon the Tau client races and made more units for them.
>>
>>48127117
I did 1500 as well... At least I think I added it up right. I just love Broadsides, I much prefer HRR ones, though HYMP are too good to ignore. Tau are probably the easiest codex to make bullshit lists, so I get the hate.

HQ: Cadre Fireblade (60)
Strike Team
5x Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles
DS8 Support Turret with Missile Pod (65)

Strike Team

Strike Team

Strike Team

Strike Team

Strike Team

Strike Team

Strike Team

Strike Team

Strike Team

Strike Team

Crsis Suits
3x Crisis Suits (66)

Crisis Suits
3x Crisis Suits (66)

Crisis Suits
3x Crisis Suits (66)

Formation: Ranged Support Cadre
x4 Pathfinders (44)
x4 Pathfinders (44)
x4 Pathfinders (44)
x2 Broadsides with HYMP (130)
x2 Broadsides with HYMP (130)
x2 Broadsides with Heavy Rail Rifle (130)

Total: 1495
>>
>>48125754
back when I played orks in 5th I had an army based of the Arch-arsonist that had something like 48 flamers in it.

Those were fun times. Thinking about doing something like that with sisters when I pick them up again.
>>
What would be your opinion if all Tau just died and the Kroot became the inheritors of the empire?
>>
>>48127064
I expect it to happen off to the sides of my Chimeras too. Is it worth taking a Battle Cannon to try and deal with the armor saves of Eldar infantry?

750/750
Tank Commander, LR Extermiantor w/ Lascannon
Squadmate LR Extermiantor w/ Lascannon
Veterans (in Chimera) w/ 2 Meltaguns
Veterans (in Chimera) w/ 2 Meltaguns
LR Battle Tank
>>
>>48127201

>they weren't mobile enough

They found a way to correct that in examples such as the Riptide and at least one of it's variants.

They also realized mobile warfare alone wasn't going to be enough for every situation.
>>
>>48127208
wank
>>48127226
good guy
>>
>>48127226
forcing them to jink at every opportunity is the only way to reduce thier effectiveness enough to make it manageable.
>>
>>48127234
It's not just that they weren't mobile enough, it's also size issues. They'd prefer to use either fliers to easily outmaneuver them and destroy them.

I'll say it again, retconning/adding new fluff just to drive sales is one of the reasons I hate the new Tau.
>>
>>48127208
This is going to be crushingly dull to play against. Even if we ignore the power discrepancy between it and other Codexes,your turn is going to consist of everything sitting on the spot while you roll dice and your opponent takes models off the table. On that basis alone I'd probably turn a game against it down.
>>
>>48127208
>10x troops

not legal, you can only have 6 troop choices per cad

whats the purpose of the 9 naked crisis suits?

the cadre fireblade can only buff one unit he is attached to,if you are set on an infantry heavy list, aun'va is an amazing choice as you can pick 2 of these buffs every turn:

extra rapid fire (for pulse weapons)
FNP 6+
stubborn
snap shots after running in shooting phase

to everyone within 12" of him, everyone on the board has stubborn from him aswell, along with 10ld conferred in his 12" bubble
>>
>>48127155
Are you trying to say that lore of other races doesn't exist to solely push sales?

>>48127201
Well the old fluff stopped on the eve of the 3rd Sphere Expansion, currently it's in effect. I personally think the change in mechs and walkers is great. Why? Because it shows the Tau to be pragmatic, rather than sticking to traditions. Japan did the same shit. They saw that sticking to old ways wasn't going to win them shit. The Tau had beaten various races with their tactics, then realised the Orks were way more widespread that they though, that the Imperium had way more potent things up it's sleeves (though they have yet to face Warlords, which is the whole point of IA14) and is willing to fight over shit and waste resources that, to the Tau, would be unacceptable.

It's showing that the idea of a good movement is pointless if you can't hit the target. The Stormsurge was created to destroy the void protected fortress Hives and lumbering targets that nobody could deal with without losses.

I can understand why people are pissed off, don't get me wrong, but it's showing they have 'evolved'. If you want to complain about new models, complain about shit like the Centurions, Xiphons and flyers. Suddenly appearing out of nowhere with the excuse of 'they've always had them'. At least the Tau are the ones who work to constantly improve their shit and get stuff to counter other stuff.

Just my opinion though.
>>
>>48127284
It is legal, I just couldn't be assed to combine them into 6 groups of 12 on the shit as I copied and pasted it.

As for naked Crisis Suits, I wanted them naked? I could always drop some three Fire Warrior squads to get 9 Fusions.

As for Aun'va, I thought of that, but I seem to remember he gives a VP if he dies. Or is it two? I forget.

I didn't really care about winning, just like Fire Warriors and Broadsides.

>>48127280
Fair enough anon. But isn't that pretty much the same for all good shooting armies? On objective games, I'd obviously have to move. It's simply
>>
>>48127308
I won't deny that some lore of the other races exist to push sales, but the whole point of the Tau as a faction in the first place was that they were a small unified empire of different races, which was represented on the table with kroot and vespid units. That is what they should have expanded on, not just that Tau can ignore the thing going on where they hated the simple concept of mechs/walkers. Perhaps they could have introduced one of their other client races to deal with X, while another deals with Y.
>>
>>48127267

>fliers

I kind of see why they added something new there to be honest.

Fliers are nice, but they pointed out why that wasn't always viable in the lore.

Not to mention having one method alone of handling a situation isn't very wise.
>>
So, a local Chaos Space Marine player has asked to play against my War Convocation at 2000 points, allies etc allowed. He wants to see what it can do. How does this look?

++ 2000 Power Mode ++

+ Skitarii: 750 +

Ironstrider Ballistari: 55
- TL Cognis Lascannon

Onager Dunecrawler: 90
- Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber
- All Upgrades

5 Infiltrators: 185
- Flechette and Taser
- Conversion Field, Digital Weapons, Infoslave Skull, Omniscient Mask

5 Ruststalkers: 160
- Razor, Claw and Grenades
- Conversion Field, Digital Weapons, Prehensile Dataspike, Phase Taser

10 Rangers: 120
- 3 Arc Rifles
- Omnispex
- Arc Maul, Conversion Field, Digital Weapons, Skull of Elder Nikola

10 Vanguard: 100
- 3 Plasma Calivers
- Omnispex
- Taser Goad, Pater Radium, Digital Weapons, Conversion Field

Munitorum Armoured Container Cache: 40
- 2 Storm Bolters

+ Cult Mechanicus: 420 +

Tech Priest Dominus: 105
- Raiment of the Technomartyr, Eradication Ray, Digital Weapons, Infoslave Skull, Conversion Field

3 Kataphron Breachers: 150
- Hydraulic Claws and Heavy Arc Rifles

3 Kataphron Destroyers: 165
- Heavy Grav Cannons and Phosphor Blasters

+ Imperial Knight: 370 +
Knight Errant: 370
- Twin Icarus Autocannon

+ Librarius Conclave: 320 +
Librarian: 115
- ML2
- Terminator Armour

Librarian: 115
- ML2
- Terminator Armour

Librarian: 90
- ML2

+ Officio Assassinorum: 140 +

Culexus Assassin: 140
>>
What would you guys say are some IG essentials?
I'm looking to put together a smallish IG force, something fun that doesn't need to be super competitive. Are Wyverns worth it?
>>
>>48127365
>As for Aun'va, I thought of that, but I seem to remember he gives a VP if he dies. Or is it two? I forget.

its one, however you are running a very infantry heavy list and his bonuses are huge, where as the fireblade only affects a single unit
>>
>>48127390
It wasn't viable before because they didn't have tiger sharks, only mantas, which they couldn't afford to dedicate to being purely offensive as it would mean not having them resupplying the front lines with munitions and fresh cadres. It's a problem that was already solved years ago.

>air superiority merely being nice
are you actually retarded?
>>
>>48127365
>But isn't that pretty much the same for all good shooting armies?

Not really. A lot of shooting armies operate best in the 12"-18" range bracket, so need to push aggressively in order to maximize their firepower. They'll also bring faster units, bikes, squads in transports, rather than just forming a big line and spamming missiles down the table. It gives the opponent something to engage with, and at least gives them the hope of getting close enough to land some sort of counter-punch. Playing against that kind of list is going to be an utterly miserable experience for most armies.
>>
>>48127466
True enough. I've liked his model.

Would need be fiddling about to fix the list to display it properly.

How bout this list? :^)

HQ: Fireblade (60)
[Heavy Retribution Cadre]
x1 Ghostkeel (130)
x1 Stormsurge (360)
x1 Stormsurge (360)

Total: 1000
>>
>>48127450

>Are Wyverns worth it?
>Is a tank that can pump out 4 twin-linked S4 blasts with shred worth it?
Wyverns are completely ridiculous in small games.
>>
>>48127508

>tiger sharks

Which clearly weren't cutting it enough for the Tau.

Also, they don't always have air superiority so deploying those isn't always an option.
>>
>>48127450
Wyverns are always worth it.
Another thing that's worth it are LR Exterminators, in my opinion. LR Annihilators would be worth it if they fired twice instead of being twinlinked, but hey, you can put a hull lascannon in it for 1 TL lascannon shot and 1 regular lascannon shot.

Which I think might actually be better than the Vanquisher, sadly, as wouldn't it be more likely to hit?
>>
>>48127578
>if they don't have air superiority deploying aircraft isn't an option
wot
>>
>>48127450
With or without Scions? If you can grab both IG and MT start collecting boxes for less than retail you get 500-750 point army with a suicide squad.

I'd say Chimeras are pretty essential to escort your guys unless you want to bring a good chunk of models, then Commissars/Priests are important.
>>
>>48127624

Deploying the Tigershark I meant.

Seems pretty vulnerable to enemy aircraft.
>>
>>48127677

And AA fire.
>>
For all of the hate the Stormsurge and Tau'nar get, didn't the Tau need something else on the table for Lord of War options?

Most of their Lord of War options were kind of overpriced or not all that great.
>>
>>48125381
>>48125302

in my codex it says, that is has two points on every side of the the hull, doesnt this include the front and back?
>>
>>48127677
Tau have some of the best anti air going, they have remoras, razorsharks and barracudas focused on anti air duty ready to escort tiger sharks. Each of which also has weaponry that can target ground units as standard too. They easily have some of the best air support in 40k thanks to bringing their combined arms approach to the sky.
>>
File: aBKppPQ_460sa_v1.gif (485 KB, 292x323) Image search: [Google]
aBKppPQ_460sa_v1.gif
485 KB, 292x323
>Be at FLGS yesterday
>Random comes up to me
>"Want a game of 40k?"
uh sure, How many points?
>2165 ok?
what? 2165? exactly?
>yeah 2165
why so specific? Is your army exactly 2165?
>do you want to play or not?
>>
>>48127789
are you sure it doesn't say "each side"?
>>
Any CSMfag around ? I have a rule question about the Black Mace.

The rule says "if a model suffers an unsaved wound from the Black Mace it must immediatly take a toughness test, if the test is failed remove the model as casuality"

Does that mean that I have to roll one dice at a time my to-wound roles in the eventuality that my opponent failes a toughness test ?
>>
>>48127896
Unfortunately, yes.
The base underlying mechanics are that wounds are resolved one at a time. Fast dice is just that - fast dice. they are not the core
>>
>>48127896
That would be correct sir.

Alternatively, you could have your opponent assign each wound individually after you roll them as a group and make their toughness tests as they are assigned. The latter is likely faster.
>>
>>48127896
>>48127922
or not unfortunately, cause that makes it better vs multi-wound models

And as an amendment to my first comment, you can roll all your wound rolls at the same time, but he has to save them one at a time as long as they are being allocated to models with more than 1 wound remaining
>>
>>48127804

>Just another day in the US
>>
>>48127656

Not sure about scions. I'm theming my army as a nid corrupted PDF with 4th/5th generation Genestealer hybrids from Overkill as my main troops.
I could use the 2nd/3rd generation hybrids as scions as they're easy to differentiate.

Not sure what to us the aberrant's as.
>>
>>48125016
you're supposed to deploy 24" away regardless of what table edge you deploy on
>>
>>48127832

"The Taurox has two Fire Points on each side of the hull"

maybe I'm a bit confused because in german, we call the front also "Front side", but to me it seems like it means you can also shoot out of the front or back.
>>
>>48127787
Except the old Tau LoW were in line with the old LOWs

Example: the Tyranid GC, CSM Lord of Skulls, Daemons GC, the Baneblade, Orks SHV

Now compare those to the Post-Knight LoWs.
>>
>>48127922
>>48127955
>>48127956
Thanks. That makes it really strong on a demon prince for challenging characters. Goes around EW too.
>>
Have Necrons had their FAQ yet?
>>
>>48128006
Must be a language thing. I don't think anyone I've known has interpreted that as anything other than "each side armour facing"
>>
>just defeated a Necron Decurion using a Black Legion Warband.
>>
>>48128055

Post your list and his and I'll tell you why you're making this up :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (812 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
812 KB, 2448x3264
Talos, Xarl, Variel, Cyrion, Uzas, and Mercutian.
Adhemar, Sar Zell, The Exalted, Malek, Garadon, Septimus, and Octavia left to do. Maybe Ruven.
>>
>>48128176
those resin bases look shit, anon. You could do better with plasticard and random bitz. It has a visible line where the 'alien' bit ends on the left guy, and the random rods on the middle left look god awful. The bases are distracting from what are some nice models
(drill your barrels)
>>
>>48128248
Thx for the advice. They are early wip's, the finished product will look great. I drill all my barrels; these builds arent complete.
Regarding the bases, I chose these specifically to represent the deck of a Red Corsairs port station. There's no alien bit on any of them, just metal grating and toolboxes, supply crates, etc. I can get the most out of them, don't worry.
>>
>>48128006
Vehicles have front, sides and back. Universally "side(s)" on a vehicles refers to the left and right side, not the front and the back. If it's on the front of the back, then it would say so. See things like access points.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.