[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To exalted or not to exalted?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: 162759.jpg (530 KB, 821x1056) Image search: [Google]
162759.jpg
530 KB, 821x1056
Anons, I need your brains. I just saw this on drive thru RPG. I know absolutely nothing about this system. So what say /tg/?
>>
>>48118150
I backed the kickstarter and ran a game with for a bunch of people I met in med school. We were all happy with how it went.
>>
>>48118180
How's the balance on the system? I seriously have done 0 research on this bad boy, but am drunk and wanting to spend some money.
>>
>>48118208
Generally you can run a game out of the box without needing houserules or worrying about causing a TPK like in previous editions.
>>
>>48118266
Nice. It seems like an interesting idea for a TT. I might have to grab it.
>>
>>48118312
There's also usually a General Thread for Exalted on /tg/
>>
>>48118150
It is literally, metaphorically, and metaphysically the single greatest tabletop RPG to ever grace our disgusting, unworthy, cheetoh-ridden tables. If you play it, you will be changed. You will see the face of god, and you will find yourself like the rest of us; converted to the worship and service of Exalted. Truly, we are a blessed people to have the mighty ones bestow this gift upon us. Prostrate yourself before it! Before Exalted, the one, true, and only tabletop game! Would that I could write a more beauteous praise of this tabletop RPG, I would. If you pass up on buying this, you are a fool and I pity you. I will spit upon your grave, where you died regretting your failure to purchase what is only the greatest innovation mankind has seen since the atom bomb.

Buy it. Buy it immediately, and never look back.
>>
>>48118356
Well, except for the Craft system
>>
>>48118356
Well there's a review. Holy shit. Haha
>>
>>48118351
I apologize for cluttering up the boards with another Exalted thread. But, I didn't wanna get lost in the shuffle on the regular Exalted thread, and I figured I'd get more responses this way as well.
>>
>>48118387
Crafting system is shitty? How so ?
>>
>>48118425
While it is my favorite game, and I find it delightfully playable and actually enjoy most of its systems, it is by no means perfect. There are serious editing issues with the core book that still remain, some inconsistent lingo throughout, the Craft system, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is absolute fuck-off garbage to most of the people who encounter it, and its setting and goals are pretty different from a more traditional D&D-esque game. This can be jarring and unpleasant for newcomers. The game has been called "anime D&D" in the past, both lovingly and disparagingly, and this isn't a misnomer. The game takes heavy inspiration from non-western mythology like Babylonian epics, greek myth, and especially oriental myth. They go out of their way to avoid things that D&D does, sometimes to their detriment, but it's definitely a unique experience with a very interesting setting and a scale much larger than many other games on the market. Your starting power in Exalted is, after all, that of a demigod.
>>48118463
Bookkeeping, and the craft powers exist to let you skip using the craft system, for the most part, which makes it pointless to have at all.
>>
>>48118478
If the big flaws of the system are the crafting system, and some grammatical errors in the book, I think I can deal with those flaws. Thank you anons, appreciate the help.
>>
>>48118150
personally i fucking hate it and would rather play FATAL but if youre the kind of guy thats into anime d&d you'll like it
>>
>>48118581
What is it about the system you dislike?
>>
>>48118605
everything
>>
>>48118651
What an elegant and detailed review.
>>
>>48118150

Drop into the General over here (>>48117274
) and download the core book from the OP. It's all that's out for the latest edition, but the backer charms have been leaked. Other than that, read the book, look around the internet, and ask us any question that comes to mind.
>>
>>48118651
Ah, the most helpful of answers
>>
>>48118740
Thank you anon. Will do.
>>
Ehh, I'd rather play Godbound
>>
I don't know how this edition compares to the previous one but I remember not having fun GMing that, there's a lot of charms to keep track of and PCs can get ridicules immediately (not just in power level, but in the amount of dice they have to roll and then reroll when they explode).
>>
>>48119049
Dice don't explode in Exalted 2e.
>>
>>48119062
I thought they had something for max value? did they count twice or something like it? (it's been years since I played it)
>>
>>48119082
10s count as 2 successes, yes.
>>
>>48118150
If you like crunch systems and epic fantasy give if a look. You like rules light stuff it's not for you
>>
>>48118150
exalted has a unique aesthetic and feels fresh for a bit, but the division between what characters are supposed to do and what they actually can do grated on me after a while

there are also some really dumb parts to it all
>>
>>48119049
Speaking as an exalted fan second edition was a pile of shit. Third is much better
>>
>>48119100
>there are also some really dumb parts to it all
Well that's all of White Wolf/Onyx Path writing: interesting ideas marred by terrible, terrible writing.
>>
>>48119089
I like crunchy. So that's good.
>>
>>48119112
How so, if you can elaborate? (not going to read that huge tome to find out)
>>
>>48118150
That really depends, what do you like/dislike in systems?
>>
>>48119128
How was 2e bad or how is 3e better?
>>
>>48119130
Generally speaking the crunchier the better in my opinion. Unless that crunchyness comes at the expense of balance. Some systems I'm a fan of are Shadowrun, d&d (obligatory), and I just started an Anima campaign not too long ago and I'm really liking the system so far, aside from all the stuff you have to home rule and the amount of balancing you have to do on your own. But I do understand that it's necessary considering the books are no longer being made.
>>
>>48119181
Note I have only tried about 6 different systems.
>>
>>48119181
It's quiet crunchy. It has a nice resolution system and then sub systems for all the major things you could want. Charms plug into those really well. There are a huge amount of charms but you start with 19 max and then gain them at a slow enough pace that it never gets as overwhelming as it seems. Also it has the best setting in any RPG I have ever played.
>>
>>48119212
Nice. I usually homebrew settings, but I do like Shadowrun's setting, and am not opposed to using a premade setting.
>>
>>48119141
2e is mechanically has only two real outcomes, win or lose. Either you have what you need to deal with a problem effortlessly or you can't deal with it at all.

3e does not have this problem so it is automatically better.
>>
>>48119128
Second edition had a problem of awesome feats being wrapped up into a few charms. Perfect defenses of course but it went beyond combat. Socialize had two charms that amounted to 'talk to a random dude, roll some dice and you have reformed society.' Third breaks up these to things you have to actually do now
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.