[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ Shadowrun General - Through the Valley of the Shadowrun Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65
File: Aztlan Catholic Priest.gif (999 KB, 500x277) Image search: [Google]
Aztlan Catholic Priest.gif
999 KB, 500x277
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Green Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to Host of Hosts...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>48014735
>Catholic_Liturgy_Update_2032.txt
>Zoroastrian_Lodges.trid
>Sufi_Dances.sklchp
>NeoPaganism_In_Tacoma.pdf

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 1618 (77% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled ''We Do What Wiccan't"
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Mercerism.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Tell me about your souls, chummers. To Whom do you consign your demonstrably existent spirit? Do you go to mosque every Friday like a good Muslim, do you ask a priest to forgive you for last run's sins, do you dance for the Great Ghost or get your thetans read?
>>
>>48050758
>Connected to Green Onion Routers
Why do we use these, again?
>>
File: Worst Table in SR5.png (139 KB, 759x325) Image search: [Google]
Worst Table in SR5.png
139 KB, 759x325
As a counterpoint to the loving message of OP, behold the worst table in all of Shadowrun 5.

Why, you may ask? Because of this bit of explanation.
>Moderate changes are less common, but still relatively easy and can be done in appointment clinics, if not in walk-in. These include body-hair removal (popular everywhere), removal of extreme levels of weight (twenty-five kilos and up!), or scalp replacement to grow different color/texture hair.

>[Transgender augments are] actually something of a hot topic at MIT&T. KAM might like to attribute it to psychological reactions, but magical theory has found that people who identify as pre-op transgendered has a slight distortion to their auras. Almost imperceptible, but still there, though it doesn’t seem to affect them, health- or magic-wise. The crazy thing is, procedures to bring them closer to their self-perceived correct state cause this distortion to stabilize. Some people say it’s a matter of self-sabotage or a subconscious side effect of feeling disconnected from your true self, but most of the research done thus far strongly supports that operations aligning the body with the identity of the subject in a non-enhancement way don’t damage their metaphysical self at all.

You can go from a tiny Arab elf girl to a big Inuit orc man, and it doesn't alter your Essence in the least. It's all cosmetic, true, your attributes and limits don't change. But if you get the next stage in hair plugs by replacing your scalp, or pull out your hair follicles, that dings your immortal soul. Because your true self might be a different race, metatype, and gender, but if your true self is skinny or has red hair instead of brown then you are committing a grave metaphysical crime.

If they want to say that trans people are all fine, then at least make it consistent- make all the cosmetic bioware without stat effects (like Reduction) Essence-cost free. As it is, it's just bad writing with arbitrary distinctions.
>>
>>48050946
Now post the Fleshfinder from SR4.
>>
>>48050867
They're safe, they're hidden, and they go great with stir fry.
>>
>>48050983
Not sure I see the connection to a weird Nazi artifact from the worst SR4 book.
>>
>>48051048
Posting shitty parts of SR would be the connection.
>>
>>48050758
I'm kinda considering playing a nork mage who works for their goverment in exile (now basically a criminal syndicate that funds itself via dealing drugs and counterfeiting corpscrip) that worships Kim Il Sung as the savior of the korean people and has him as a mentor spirit.
I also kinda wanna play a scientologist who runs in order to pay for the exorberant cost of auditing. (Especially given that the alternative would be to join the sea org and pay for auditing via working as slave labor and also occasionally being sent to toil in secret desert labor camps.)
>>
>>48051003
What about Carrot Routers? Just as safe, hidden, and they also go in stir fry.
>>
File: Fleshfinder.png (124 KB, 419x373) Image search: [Google]
Fleshfinder.png
124 KB, 419x373
>>48051112
>secret desert labor camps

Is this an actual Scientology thing? I don't recall it being mentioned in any SR book (though I do like how Awakened Scientologists are the ones who do readings. If you can assense, you can get a steady job telling people about their thetans.

>>48051094
It's dumb and edgy, but at least 'strong and sustained emotions can influence something into being an artifact' is an established part of SR. It's not like it makes you some great murderer or drives you to kill, it's just some horrifying lump of magically aligned metal.
>>
>>48051204
When are some other times that's happened? I wasn't aware of any.
>>
>>48051204
>Is this an actual Scientology thing?
Yeah. It's not even that big of a secret. If you're a member of the Sea Org and you break one of the numerous rules, you get sent to the Rehabilitation Project Force. Back when the Sea Org was actually at sea, your job was mostly just dealing with bilge water, but now they mostly just do anything that requires a lot of manual labor, preferably out in the california desert.
Also, even if you aren't a member of RPF and are instead a regular member of the Sea Org in good standing, sometimes David Miscavige (scientology's pope equivalent) will personally beat the shit out of you. I think he also shoved someone out of a window once.
>>
>>48051327
>sometimes David Miscavige (scientology's pope equivalent) will personally beat the shit out of you. I think he also shoved someone out of a window once.

Neat.
>>
>>48050946
Well, technically you can go from apparently a tiny Arab elf girl to a tiny Inuit ork guy with no loss, but being taller does. And the hair stuff is only if you for some reason want to drop two and a half times the money to get your scalp replaced instead of just getting cosmetic bioware. But hey, perhaps you really just feel you must get rid of your old scalp.

Honestly, given that the line as a whole has been really iffy about what causes Essence loss and doesn't, it's seemingly less to do with any kind of 'metaphysical crime' and more about some kind of recognized difference or unrecognized healing.

At least that's my reasoning for why a cloned limb still involves a tiny bit of essence loss and why bad medical care could also lose you essence. The soul doesn't quite recognize that everything's healed up right, and so it's less attached.

Of course, like I said. The line's never been super solid about why Essence can go down and what it's really about.
>>
>Making a campaign for one of the Returns games
>Realize I have a shitton of female characters
>Only come up with more female characters

fuck why is my UGC turning into a harem anime
>>
>>48051383
Because your UGC is the file to be retrieved in the next iteration of LoveLoveAnon's module.
>>
>>48051383
Shadowrun is startlingly good for waifus.

I mean you wouldn't think a shitty dystopia would produce that many but.
>>
>>48051229
A place being aspected from emotions is an established fact of mana. There's a number of artifacts that seem to be impacted by emotions associated with it.

The Fairy Flag of Dunvegan (Target: Awakened Lands) is a real Scottish flag, but now it glows in the Astral and people can hear a ghostly army. The Jade Dragon of Wind and Fire (Year of the Comet) was made in the 5th World but affects mana lines now. The MacDonald Claymore (Imago adventure) puts up a magic force field around it's castle that repels all non-MacDonald magicians. Dunkelzahn's Will bequeathed the Spear of Longinus, which is apparently a weapon focus. I'm sure there's other, more mundane ones, those are just a few that I know of.
>>
File: Fairy Flag of Dunvegan.jpg (41 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Fairy Flag of Dunvegan.jpg
41 KB, 600x800
>>48051427
Forgot my picture. I wonder if it's still in the case, or if they let it fly on a banner pole.
>>
>>48051115
The Carrot Routers are more useful for covertly connecting to corporate nodes. Something about the configuration process and the way the routers connect to exit nodes fucks with the IC.

Connecting to a runner data haven through Carrot Routers is like going grocery shopping in a tacsuit.
>>
I'm new to the game, and I'm going to be running an SR5 campaign soon. Is there a list of essential gear for starting characters that I can pass on to my players?
>>
Listening to this for inspiration.

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/763/web
>>
>>48051485
If you have Run Faster, they will want at least the stuff in the Intro Runner Pack (backpack and restraints optional).

More likely they'd want a kit that resembles the Basic Runner or Advanced Runner kits with extra ammo.

Of course, depending on what roles they're playing, they will be switching out certain bits of those kits. (Face might want more lower grade credsticks to use as bribes, for instance.)

They'll also want to license some/most R-rated things (or magic abilities) at the fake SIN's level unless you're going to be heavily in the barrens. Reminder that in UCAS, you don't technically need a summoner's license for any bound spirit Force 3 or below. But it's still a safe thing to get one if you want to have one around you.
>>
>>48051466
Are you saying I -shouldn't- do that? But how am I gonna shoplift If I can't turn invisible?
>>
>>48051485
Depends on the what type of game you're playing, but a really good list of basic things are.

Commlink. Literally required. Just fucking get it. This is the most important thing in the whole game next to firearms.
An Fake SIN plus Licenses for what they want.
A gun. If one of your players wanna be One-Punch Man (like every new player to RPGs in general wants to do for some fucking reason, maybe that's just my friends) they can ignore it. If they do get a gun, get a big one and a small one. Or just a couple of big ones.
Lethal and Non-lethal ammo.
Armor Jacket. Just get it, you probably need it.
A vehicle is useful, unless everybody is bumming together they can all pile into their own car.
A backpack is great.
A lifestyle that isn't Street. Even squatter is good if you specify that it's a coffin motel.
A crowbar or a chisel. Good for getting into places with blunt force.
Sunglasses and earbuds if their perception sucks dick.
Gas Mask and Chem Suit. Or don't if you plan on being a douche and tear-gassing them repeatedly.

... and that's just off the top of my head.
>>
File: 6264096441398390508.jpg (3 MB, 3327x4291) Image search: [Google]
6264096441398390508.jpg
3 MB, 3327x4291
>>48051115
We don't talk about Carrot Routers.
>>
Is "you are the complication of some other group of runners" a good shadowrun complication?
>>
File: infiltrator_by_motise-d8tm232.png (3 MB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
infiltrator_by_motise-d8tm232.png
3 MB, 1000x1333
>>48051947

It was pretty fun when our GM pulled it on us.

Almost made our sniper feel bad about plugging a guy when he found out we were in the same line of work.
>>
>>48051947
Yes, especially if you have a group of players that love making friends with NPCs.
>>
>>48051881
And putting my my two centavos about two little bits of this planned kit. If somebody's going to want to do disguises, they may want an Armored Vest because it can go with just about any disguise by not being seen.

Some casing for both audio and visual enhancements is desirable even if they have good perception. It's up to them if they want to rely on their DNI (implanted comm or deck, datajack, or trodes) or put image and sound links in their glasses/contacts/goggles and earbuds, but the rest of the thing's capacity should go towards a mix of just dice enhancing stuff and capability expanding stuff. Note that if a character isn't going to aim, a smartlink-in-gear-smartgun combo isn't price efficiency-wise any better than a laser sight. But if they will aim, then it's a bit better. Don't have to choose, but you're probably not in a sitch where that's super useful.
>>
Is being a van helsing/belmont too gimmicky for a shadowrun group?
I feel like loading up silver bullets and crosses and whips and stake guns.
>>
>>48052041
Not at all... unless you're fighting humans.

Ask your DM.
>>
Naive Hawaiian dwarf shaman on the mainland because she royally pissed off the yaks; hot or not?

It was either that or a Greek snake shaman who receives uncontrollable oracular visions, but the game is set in Los Angeles so I have a harder time working them into things.

Help me decide?
>>
>>48052041
If you support the gear properly (I'd suggest being an Adept, possibly MysAdept so you can be Richter), it's not too bad.
>>
>>48052041
'Paracritter/Infected Hunter' is a good jumping off point for a character with tracking abilities, stealth abilities, and combat abilities. So they'd make a great runner, you just need to not focus so hard on the gimmick that they are -only- useful against their primary foe.
>>
>>48052069
Are the Yaks big in hawaii? I'm aware they're a free kingdom/country now, but I don't know what the shadows there are like.

A Hawaiian shaman sounds neat, though.
>>
>>48052097

I mean, the yaks are big there in our world. Most of the illegal guns in Japan and Korea come through Hawaii at some point, and I'm sure the Japanese helped the Hawaiian bid for independence in SR.
>>
Heyo chummers, I need a premise and a good second run for my campaign. I'm running a 4e, and I have just not prepared AT ALL for my session this Saturday, and I don't feel comfortable trying to wing it. Any help you have would be appreciated.
>>
>>48052084
>>48052075
>>48052060
now to just figure out what the stats on a stake gun would be.
Somewhere between a crossbow and a gun.
>>
>>48052135
You ever read Dunkelzahn's will? Drop a lead in the players laps to the original Jiffy Pop recipe.
>>
>>48052135

Where is it set, who are the runners, what was session one, etc
>>
>>48052135
Take a western or crime movie that's close to you. Watch it. Cut the plot in half (roughly), and make that either the complication for a simpler run or the run itself.

Depends on what movie you had close by and chose.
>>
>>48052119
Yeah, but I had someone sassing a Swedish runner I made about their homeland being 'The Islamic Caliphate of Sweden' until I reminded them that SR runs on a split timeline and in-universe Sweden isn't like that.

It's worth checking your books.
>>
>>48051427
Does this work for fakes? Is the turin shroud magic now, even though it was made long after christ died?
>>48051464
It'd probably fall apart if you let it out of the case.
>>48051947
Sounds like it'd be hilarious. Do it, esp. if your runners aren't fans of legwork and like to do things with big explosions.
>>48052041
Van Helsing was a medical doctor with a silly accent, so yeah, being him wouldn't be that helpful.
As far as being a vampire hunter goes, it'd be OK if infected feature greatly in the campaign. Ask your DM about it, cuz otherwise all your gimmicky stuff will go useless.
>>48052069
I think they'd both be great characters.
Also, you do realize immigration is a thing, right? Your greek's great great great great grandparents moved to america because they were sick and tired of living under ottoman rule or some shit.
>>48052135
Heists are always good. Either the players need to steal a mcguffin from a safety deposit box in a bank, or they need to steal it from a moving armored car. Either works.
>>
>>48052135
>inb4 the sentient pop-star AI run.
>>
File: 1438739175316.jpg (76 KB, 632x1262) Image search: [Google]
1438739175316.jpg
76 KB, 632x1262
>>48051485
As >>48051584 mentioned, Run Faster has PACKS, which are specially designed for new players to snatch up and easily get gear. Not just the basic runner packs, but there's kits for various archetypes, for weapons, for 'ware, all with helpful little blurbs. Use them, they cover most of the things in>>48051881.

Also, not having a vehicle is a big deal. Some GMs might handwave getting around, but because so much of SR relies on timing it's important- can't bus everywhere with a duffel full of guns, and during legwork you're going to need to get around on your own.

My recommendation, if you see a runner without a car, is to point out the bicycle. Sure, it's not stylish, but it's faster than feet and it goes everywhere.
>>
File: Van Helsing Crossbow.jpg (96 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Van Helsing Crossbow.jpg
96 KB, 600x450
>>48052151
Unfortunately pic related doesn't exist, but there are crossbows in core and pistol crossbows in Hard Targets, and they're pretty decent (the crossbow hits like a machine gun). There's also a harpoon gun.

Or you could buy guns and get wood pulp and silver bullets.
>>
>>48052151
There's a speargun in Arsenal (It's bad).

Just run with a crossbow. Vampires hate wood to the point where wood-pulp-bullets fuck them up, Stakes through the heart don't do anything a stake through the skull wouldn't.

also damn kaptcha being a bitch tonight.
>>
>>48051928
>four empty plots
>3 carrots
w-wheres the fourth carrot?
>>
>>48051382
>The soul doesn't quite recognize [...], and so it's less attached.
This is the crux of it. When your essence is low, there's less connectivity between your astral form and physical form.
>>
>>48052017
Why the fuck do they need an overpriced cyberware enhancement to be placed inside their headphones?
>>
>>48051947
I was actually going to have one of my players start getting hunted by Omega Dawn if his grenade shenanigans keep going the way they are going. It all fun and games until you blow up a bar in southend Boston, when you weren't even on for a job... he just always keeps those fucking grenades on him... he rps well but it can be so frustrating.
>The Boston Grenadier has struck again in west Cambridge just a few block from MIT&T
>In unrelated news, upcoming all elf guitar band Flamin' Strings never wants to play a show in Boston again.
>>
>>48052324
WE DON'T TALK ABOUT CARROT ROUTERS
>>
>>48052324
She ate it.
>>
>>48052342
You don't. I was saying that if they didn't want to have a DNI, which they get from any of those things, they can just put an image link in a visual device, and a sound link in an audio one. Or if they're paranoid and want back-up, or put the trodes into a piece of headware that they're not going to wear all the time.

>>48052329
I feel like you're misquoting me by quoting me like that. But I think the bigger part is that the line's never actually been too good about nailing down the solid wheres and whys of Essence loss.
>>
File: Staker.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Staker.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48052041
Here's a similar concept I just worked up, for a mundane (and more practical) version of the concept.

What's important is that he doesn't just kill monsters. He can fight most anyone well, and especially mages with his Magic Resistance. He has a pimped-out car, which is really valuable in most groups. With some special bullets, AgHexHex, and a knowledge skill, a little goes a long way in flavour.
>>
>>48052285
>crossbow hits like a machine gun
Holy shit, that might be perfect.
Unless you're talking about a really shitty machine gun
>>
>>48052409
I feel like this guy has to correct people that his street name isn't a misspelling of Stalker a lot.
>>
>>48052242
>bicycle
Dodge Scoots can also be useful if you want to, yaknow, actually go somewhat quickly. Assuming you don't mind looking like a dork on what I assume is a cross between a unicycle and a moped.
>>
>>48052408
Headphones/earbuds do not need sound links because they connect directly to the commlink. It works a lot like the wireless headphones we have today. Plug one in into the headphone jack and place the buds over the ears.
>>
>>48052468
>Plug one in into the headphone
Plug the transceiver into the headphone jack.
>>
>>48052408
Not really using it to quote you, but point out what I'd consider the better of the numerous official explanations. The chrome flesh tranny thing is still an issue for being obviously tacked on, though.
>>
File: Heresy Identification.jpg (137 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
Heresy Identification.jpg
137 KB, 500x661
>>48052204
>Does this work for fakes? Is the turin shroud magic now, even though it was made long after christ died?

But honestly I can't get a straight answer. I hoped the GeMiTo sections would have something on the Shroud, but nothing really concrete

>>48052440
It started as a play on 'Stoker'.

>>48052429
A heavy crossbow with smartlink is 7A, 10P. A Stoner MMG with smartlink is 7A, 10P.

A crossbow obviously has much more limited crowd suppression abilities, but fit it with explosive bolts and you can put down people like you're using a sniper.
>>
>>48052449
A Scoot is 3000¥, a good bike is 500¥. Most of the times, vehicles are last on the list for non-riggers. It's embarrassing, but at least it works and is cheap. Probably just as fast, too.
>>
>>48052409
Just realised I bought a FlaShield, but forgot to delete the old Ballistic shield. Now I've got an extra 1200¥.

It's like finding a $50 in your winter coat.
>>
File: 1442227168990.jpg (59 KB, 800x436) Image search: [Google]
1442227168990.jpg
59 KB, 800x436
>>48052429
>>48052540
Also, get incendiary bolts. Burns like a motherfucker through armour, and you can wirelessly detonate it and burn a couple different targets, which is good enough to help suppress a group.

Add some Hammerheads, and a couple of SnS with static shafts for absolutely ruining the day of spirits, and you're golden.
>>
File: Reference Humor.gif (998 KB, 245x187) Image search: [Google]
Reference Humor.gif
998 KB, 245x187
>>48050758
>* You have 1 new private message, titled ''We Do What Wiccan't"
>>
>>48052468
I want to say that a soundlink in the earbuds is pretty useless (doubly so if you're using your commlink's built in retractable earbuds), but if you didn't want a free standing set of trodes or other method of getting a DNI, it has incredibly niche uses. Other than audio AROs. (Amusingly, the text seems to imply that you could make one of those uses getting music from your gun even if there's too much Noise.) But yeah. It's definitely a low priority because it has no niche uses.

>>48052529
Mind if I ask which official explanation you're thinking of? I want to know what kind of view you're using. (As an aside, Chrome Flesh's mods would definitely be supported under 3e, with the possible change of making ripping out your scalp and putting in a new one into one of those 0 essence changes.)
>>
SR 3rd question here, the tables imply that a 5 intelligence is above average, yet it only nets you 7 language skill points, which is barely more than enough to cover fluency and literacy in one language. Are you then expected to drop knowledge skill points for additional languages? Is this wise, or should I conserve points for other relevant knowledge skills? (I speak four languages and I'm not very smart, I don't understand the anti lingual bias here, chummers)
>>
>>48050758
>Tell me about your souls, chummers
That's the great thing about being a Shaman.
"Hey Bear, we cool?"
"GROOOOOOWR!"
"Yeah we're good."
>>
>>48054053
I think you're misreading things. The little table on p 41 puts 5 at pretty well above average and you can still get language ranks with general knowledge skill points. You also have a small number of extra points just for languages.

So it's saying that you picked up seven points of language skills without any studying. Putting knowledge points into it represents some study.

But in short, the bias should be seen as (at least semi-)intentional work by corps to keep people uneducated.
>>
File: shephards high.png (113 KB, 275x284) Image search: [Google]
shephards high.png
113 KB, 275x284
>>48054168
Oh! So you don't have to spend points on your native language then, am I reading that correctly?
>I don't think they printed these books in Romanian, I'm trying to read them in English.
Would that mean I have 7 points to spend on secondary and tertiary languages? So for example, German as a natural language at no cost, then Japanese for my 7 points and some extra Knowledge skill points in English as business languages?
>>
File: meeting the mentor spirit.jpg (36 KB, 387x290) Image search: [Google]
meeting the mentor spirit.jpg
36 KB, 387x290
>>48054081
Bear shaman bro!

My shaman took out an elite corp-security team with a stunball and all it cost him was 7 points of physical drain. Mission complete without a single metahuman-casualty! One week of chilling in his new apartment that he got with the Nuyen earned by selling the loot and he'll be up fine too.

For the record, the team was robbing an armoured van. We left behind the some of the stuff that we considered too hot to touch including a magical statue that was property of Lowfyr. Luckily we managed to explain one of the characters that we WILL shoot him if he tries to take it with him. Now we just hope that good ol' Lowfyr won't eat us and our families.
>>
>>48050758
>>48054081

>Tell me about your souls, chummers. To Whom do you consign your demonstrably existent spirit? Do you go to mosque every Friday like a good Muslim, do you ask a priest to forgive you for last run's sins, do you dance for the Great Ghost or get your thetans read?

I feel like that's a way more interesting question for the NON-awakened characters than the ones that get magical powers from their faith-traditions. I assume there's plenty of atheists in the sixth world, but who all do you play with that believes even if they're not getting juju from it?

I'm looking at my own sheet and I have a hacker who's a Christmas-and-Easter catholic, and an infiltrator who believes in chinese folk religion (and traditional chinese medicine, which annoys one street doc she knows).

Every other religious 'runner I've made is a mage/shaman or adept of some stripe.
>>
>>48054490
It's been a long while (thankfully hadn't put the book back up), but I think that the free Language points are supposed to represent the character's mother tongue or tongues.

By the text, a rating of three in a skill is competence (so a person with 2 Intelligence can speak their native language perfectly well, and read/write poorly, but at the expected level of most people) and it roughly works out to getting that one success you'll need for day-to-day life. But because of how the example and the tns work out, the chart doesn't work well for non-daily stuff.

(I'm not the best traveled man around, but I can get across tax information to a person speaking with a Caribbean accent and that's supposed to be near impossible when it's important.)
>>
>>48054731
Wew, thank you for explaining more clearly! I appreciate the help!
>>
What active skill would the use of a taser come under? I see edged weapons and unarmed, but nothing under simple or nonlethal melee.
>>
>>48054985
For 5e, it's pistols.
>>
>>48054994
Same 3e anon, here, but I'll assume it's the same, since it doesn't distinguish. Thank you!
>>
>>48054985
Pistols if you're shooting it, Clubs if you're using a stunner.
>>
>>48055005
Ironically, I left out the 'it's also pistols in 3e' bit because I was having some issues with captcha and was frustrated by the time I got through I forgot to finish the sentence.

(P 86 if you need a page reference.)
>>
Chummer 5.182 has been released. Per usual, there's so much fixed broken shit that it doesn't fit in the field length.

https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/tag/5.182.0
>>
Heya /srg/!
I'm going to be participating in a Desert Wars campaign in the near future, with the PCs being a new contender in the wild world of combat sports in bombed out lybia (for those who don't know, Desert Wars is a combat sport played between corp security teams in Lybia/Egypt, with non-lethals used until the final round.)
What do you guys think would be an interesting character to play in a game like this? I had a few ideas in mind.
>Option A: An older SWAT commander with knowledge of small unit and military tactics
>Option B: A bubbly girl who is very much into the viewership and sponsorship aspects of DW. Think fan events, taking a nice refreshing drink of Dr. Fibb(tm) after winning a match, and being cute while doing it
Which of these do you guys like more?
>>
>>48055568
Both.
>>
>>48055568
The second one.
>>
File: krieger_jazz_hands.gif (522 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
krieger_jazz_hands.gif
522 KB, 400x224
In the same accident that netted him all that yamatetsu betaware on his left side, Helleb0re got a cyberlung when his meatbag collapsed.
The real question is,
How long can Helleb0re eat troll pussy with a top-grade prototype polymer lung to hold his breath with?
I'm asking for science.
>>
>>48055834
There's a formula for how long you can hold your breath in 5e under drowning. A cyberlung (or 2) wouldn't change much since its primary goal is to emulate the whole "supply oxygen to blood" thing. To keep your breath for really long periods, you'll need an internal air tank.
>>
File: SR meets FATAL.png (57 KB, 910x266) Image search: [Google]
SR meets FATAL.png
57 KB, 910x266
>>48055834
I KNEW I SAVED THIS FOR A REASON
>>
>>48055717
>>48055733
I think I'll go with the second and do the whole
>Cameras stopped rolling? Get me a cig.
Type instead of
>Pure idol waifu

Obviously she'll have high charisma, but what should her other role be? Mage? Gun Bunny? Neko Decker?
>>
>>48055896
I know what I'm spending my next payday on
>>48055906
I'M GOING TO MAKE GUNNR A VERY HAPPY LADY
>>
>>48055921
Neko mage. Use Egyptian tradition and animate cat paraphernalia. Oh, and get Sunbeam for shits and giggles.
>>
>>48055896
>To keep your breath for really long periods, you'll need an internal air tank
Or p4m0 "blue blood", oxyrush nanites, adept powers, spells, etc.

I wanted this for reasons before lewds.
>>
>>48056036
Internal Air Tank gives you several hours, so if you're looking for...uh, oral sustainability, it's hard to beat.
>>
>>48056077
But that takes the fun out of it
>>
>>48051383
I've thought about using some unused run ideas for it.
Kind of lazy about learning to do it despite actually working in the unity game engine regularly.
>>
>>48054490
You may want to look into lingos
>>
my runner's a texan catholic holy father of an orc. He's the party big guy and face. He usually prays for absolution on his own.

Father Gregory's basically like a jaded dad for his runner team, driving everyone around in his "JESUS SAVES" labled GMC van.
>>
I had an idea for a character who was a technomancer who is filled with insane amount of nanobots and able to communicate to some degree with them. (Like how the books mention techno manners able to "argue" with microwaves). has found a sort of spirituality in resonance that allows him to keep himself together and live in harmony with them despite all the voices literally in his head.
>>
>>48056833
How do you feel about CFD?
>>
>>48052329
That would be wonderful if that was how essence actually worked, the reason for the psychological issues is because you essentially build your own dysphoria.

It would also explain why they chose to make sexual reassignment surgery not cost essence.

Alas, that's not what essence is, not how it works, and would require a complete overhaul of the system.
>>
>>48056995
Only way I can play Shadowrun is if I'm a GM so it wouldn't be an issue. (Although to be honest I'm not too sure about specific rules for contracting it)

Also the only way for removing CFD atm so far involved a technomancer helping it leave, so there's that.

I mostly just like it as a concept though.
>>
File: Father Bloodpunch.jpg (15 KB, 236x295) Image search: [Google]
Father Bloodpunch.jpg
15 KB, 236x295
>>48054590
Honestly, I'm surprised there's no "Church of Pantheism".

Atheism doesn't really make sense, because the existence of gods (or at least god-like beings) isn't really in doubt anymore, and neither is the fact that you have an actual measurable soul which can be damaged and repaired in known ways. But I can see a sort of agnostic faith, where people acknowledge the various divine entities but don't swear themselves to any one faith, and a pantheist church that worships every god as the situation requires, like ancient polytheism.
>>
>>48057082
>Also the only way for removing CFD atm so far involved a technomancer helping it leave, so there's that.
There's one other method - starve it out (nanite volume decreases by month) and keep the subject alive through the nutrition spell. Not exactly easy to prevent them eating something to replenish nanite stocks, but there you go.
>>
>>48057160
>neither is the fact that you have an actual measurable soul
That's always been debatable.
>>
>>48057160
Just because there are powerful spirits doesn't mean there are actual gods that designed the world or have some sort of plan for it. The fact that there's powerful spirits that could've been considered the gods in a previous age would probably just reinforce atheism for some people.
>>
>>48057171
Sadly not, with the retarded way they wrote up essence.

>>48057160
Define "God like"?
Spirits are explicitly defined by human understanding and life, not the other way around. We created them, not the other way around.
>>
>>48057160
Because even when god is proven it isnt mandatory to be a subscriber to any religion.
>>
File: Soul Weight.jpg (29 KB, 327x386) Image search: [Google]
Soul Weight.jpg
29 KB, 327x386
>>48057171
They can try to argue the point, but we know that Essence is reduced by cyberware, Essence is the magic substance which provides sustenance for Infected (and for some of them needs to be harvested fresh), and that when you step into an astral rift it separates the soul from the body, for as long as your Essence stat can sustain it.

It's a magical force that powers your body and holds your perception, and if it is damaged or lost your body dies even if there is nothing biologically wrong with you. That's close enough to a soul for everyone who isn't a meta-physicist.
>>
File: 1437955868533.jpg (196 KB, 754x1060) Image search: [Google]
1437955868533.jpg
196 KB, 754x1060
>>48057226
>>48057228
>We created them, not the other way around

For summoned spirits, maybe (though only hermetics would agree with that, and even then they acknowledge that spirits have their own lives, even if they are lesser beings), but there's plenty of strange metaplanar beings out there, and full-on metaplanes that have nothing to do with us until some Wuxing exploratory team wanders in looking for profit. There are powerful spirits, and there's also things like mentor spirits which break the rules for spirits (and which often appear divine, depending on tradition).

>>48057229
Hence the agnostic section of that post. You don't have to follow a religion, but it's stubbornness to insist that there's no such thing as gods when you have people in measurable communion with them all around you.
>>
>>48051327

Scientology is just shitty degenerate Thelema with dime store psychology thrown in, run by sociopaths. It's literally Worse than Wicca.
>>
Also I think in Dragonfall they mention that shaman is him has become one of if not the dominant religion. And I can't imagine that there's that many shaman tradition mages in the world. So there's probably a lot of mundane practitioners. ( although most of them would probably be like Christians who never go to church )
>>
>>48057160

Chaos magick normally has belief in Baphomet/God/Pan/The Supreme Union of All Life Energy as one of its few prescriptive beliefs, along with a disbelief in fixed essences and the whole "belief is a technique" thing. Pantheism is implicit in many magical systems.
>>
File: 1437955868532.jpg (612 KB, 1000x1318) Image search: [Google]
1437955868532.jpg
612 KB, 1000x1318
>>48054590
Most of my runners tend to be religious, in one way or another. I've got a hermetic dwarf who still participates in smudge ceremonies and prays to the Ghost, and Staker up there >>48052409 is a good Baptist boy.

>>48057322
>And I can't imagine that there's that many shaman tradition mages in the world

'Shaman' is a catchall term for a lot of indigenous religions, which gets later broken down in stuff like Street Magic and Street Grimoire as they add traditions. So you have Native American shamans, Australian shamans, Yakut shamans, African shamans... if not for the splat, I'd say things like Shintoism and Hinduism (and most other religion-based traditions) were shamanism in one form or another, because they involve asking the intercession of divine beings and not just treating magic like a math problem.
>>
>>48057245

Essence is shadowrun is very close to Kia in chaos magick, it's just that sometimes it randomly acts as aether instead.
>>
>>48057365

Yes but there are also "synthetic" shamanisms, like Dragon Shamans, Toxic Shamans, etc.
>>
>>48057163
Is that a game-mechanics only cure? I only remember the Technomancer way being referred to as "Finally, We made a breakthrough". And I find it hard to beleive that your method would not be provided in clinics (even if it was expensive becuase requiring a mage constantly on staff)
>>
>>48057365
>>48057388

Actually, now that you mention this, the better term for a shadowrun shaman based on your criteria would probably be "mystic", but then that word is already in use in a completely different context in shadowrun, so it seems shamanism in shadowrun is less about reliance on the divine than on... god, I don't even know... I guess, a more fundamental and personal interaction with magick? Again, going off of chaos magick:

"SHAMANISM IS OUR oldest magical and mystical tradition. It is from shamanism that all religious arts and magical sciences originate. [...] Two conclusions can be drawn from an examination of remaining shamanic cultures and from records of those now extinct. Firstly, despite the enormous geographical separation between shamanic cultures, they share almost identical methods. Secondly, it is shamanic knowledge and power that contemporary magicians seek to rediscover. The basic principles of magic, like the basic principles of science, do not change, but they can become lost. Shamanism presents a very full magical technology which resumes all occult themes. Mankind now stands in greater need of these abilities than at any time since the first aeon, if he is to understand rather than destroy himself. Shamanism once guided all human societies and kept them in equilibrium with their environment for thousands of years. All occultism is an attempt to win back that awesome lost wisdom. Let us look then, at what the traditions of shamanism hold. Shamanic power cannot be progressively accumulated like other technology. A shaman will be lucky if his own apprentices make any advance beyond his own achievements. Shamanic powers are so difficult to master that a tradition requires a continual influx of talent just to prevent itself from degenerating. For this reason shamans usually describe their tradition as having declined from past glories. Only an occasional, exceptional practitioner can win back some of the more legendary powers."
>>
>>48057464

Basically, shamanism is a more "direct" line to God. If this seems strange to you, you just need to realize that mentor spirits are commonly viewed as platonic/neo-platonic manifestations of the self, which is in term an aspect of God (via Pantheism). Meanwhile, the "math problem" approach puts the barrier of technology (ritual, etc) between you and God. So the spirit model is actually the more direct connection, given that the spirit in question is just you. You're not closer to any part of God than yourself.
>>
>>48057446
>>48057446
That's still a breakthrough.

The alternative is slow, unreliable, and forms an addiction to mana. Simple for CFD to take over even once and ingest something. Still, with that caveat it always works when the nutrition spell diet is adhered to.
>>
>>48057499
>you just need to realize that mentor spirits are commonly viewed as platonic/neo-platonic manifestations of the self

It seems like everyone who is not hermetic thinks of them as separate entities. Shamans don't sit around thinking, "Boy, sure is nice that my self-awareness manifest and talks to me." They talk with Raccoon, a divine entity who has agreed to teach them the truths about magic and how to live.
>There was no one in my life who could tell me what I could do, or at least not anyone I trusted. I attempted to discover the Ways for myself and floundered until Wolf found me and showed me the Path.
> Shamanic studies are mentor based and some (including myself) work with the totem spirit and develop that relationship. This is preferable to training from an individual, because an individual will teach you all that he feels is useful to function in the Awakened world, as refracted through their biases and sensibilities. Your totem spirit is the truest reflection of your tradition and capabilities, so the learning you receive accentuates what you can do. More importantly it leads you to the path you are meant to follow. I serve Wolf, and from Wolf I learn all I need to in order to fulfill my total potential as a shaman. I have studied with others on occasion, but no training helped me to find my way in the same manner as Wolf.

Man-Of-Many-Names, SG
>>
>>48057582

*shrug* Shadowrun has a lot of off-by-one going on. But regardless, when I said "commonly viewed" I didn't mean strictly by actual shamans. IRL this stuff is prone to dense clusters of different often overlapping interpretations, so it's not like I have an actual answer anyway, I'm mostly just throwing out interpretations that might be compatible with both "real" magical knowledge and what you've described/noticed about the game.
>>
File: Headcases.png (559 KB, 784x495) Image search: [Google]
Headcases.png
559 KB, 784x495
>>48057446
It's a mechanics-only thing.

Here's what the fluff text says about infection, in Lockdown
>Cures
>This is easy. There are none. For now. There are ways to slow and weaken the virus enough to keep it from developing quickly, but no known way to completely purge the virus and its effects from the victims system exist in the universe as of yet.Here are a few possible methods and what we suggest as effects...Maybe it slows the infection or holds it at bay for a while, but CFD is relentless and not ready to be stopped.
>Attacking the nanites with multiple treatments all at once can have some effects. Maybe it’s a Pulse spell to stun the nanites in the system, alongside a chemical treatment to destroy the organic nanites, followed by some blood scrubbing to clear out the nanites that are temporarily disabled. This can keep the NV low for a prolonged period of time, but not eliminate it. How long it stays dormant depends on how the gamemaster balances player enjoyment with the inevitability of CFD.

And here's the bit anon is exploiting, on the same page
>Unlike in most nanotech cases where the nanites wear out and the rating drops over time, the nanites that are CFD infected have developed a way to reproduce. As long as the head case ingests food, the nanites are able to create soft nanites at a rate of +1 NV every week. If the head case can eat some inorganic materials, the nanites can create hard nanites at the same rate. That means a feeding head case increases their nanite count at a rate higher than the degradation of old nanites (–1/month), which are often recycled if they have not been flushed from the body by injury or waste evacuation.

So if you saw that RAW Nutrition doesn't provide any material for the nanites to use, then it works. It also turns CFD into a quarantine situation and not a world-ending threat. But that's clearly using RAW to counter RAI.
>>
>>48057365

The power cable on that... electro-bat?... seems way too short to actually swing it.

Unless it's retractable I guess.
>>
File: 1437955868535.jpg (870 KB, 1000x1281) Image search: [Google]
1437955868535.jpg
870 KB, 1000x1281
>>48057786
It seems to have variable length.

Also, is anyone else having a weird glitch? I can make a couple replies, the the captcha goes black white and I have to reload the page so it will give me options to fill out.
>>
>>48057245
You underestimate the stubbornness of people who don't want to be convinced. Even if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's certainly not a duck if it doesn't smell like a duck as well.
>>
File: A chummer walks into a bar.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
A chummer walks into a bar.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
File: Screenshot (180).png (116 KB, 1580x580) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (180).png
116 KB, 1580x580
>>48057814
>black white

Should say blank white. Like this.
>>
>>48057993
What unfunny meme game is that?
>>
>>48058107
gee anon i wonder
if only it had the title in say, bright, giant red letters
>>
File: image.jpg (307 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
307 KB, 1500x1125
So back to the idea of a Technomancer using a good bit of nanotechnology.

Any ideas for actually building him? If it's as an NPC I can always just throw stats on it later but I'm relatively new to SR and my group doesn't have much reason to deal with technomancers so I haven't had an excuse to really learn how to build/use one.
>>
File: Call My Therapist.jpg (26 KB, 300x162) Image search: [Google]
Call My Therapist.jpg
26 KB, 300x162
>>48058107
Don't worry, I'm sure the shill will throw out a few more choice clips and caps throughout the thread.

Unless you're a sockpuppet designed to get people like >>48058119 to defend it...

Unless that's also the same poster, trying to create an exchange where the defenders of the game come out on top...

And what if I'm being paid off to write this metapost?

How deep does the rabbit hole go?!
>>
File: 1467343475539.jpg (3 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1467343475539.jpg
3 MB, 1988x3056
>>
>>48058085
Yep same here.
>>
>>48058134
i'm not defending the waifu game though the art looks nice
i'm just pointing out that the title is right there and that >>48058107 is retarded
>>
>>48058127
Wait for the ebook. Right now, the more you load up on 'ware the more you gimp yourself.
>>
Just realised we were doing movement completely wrong, letting characters move up to their run rate every initiative pass.

Sounds fine for players but how is a GM supposed to bookkeep all that as well?
>>
File: readonlymemories1.png (14 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
readonlymemories1.png
14 KB, 1920x1080
>>48058107
>>48058134
Valhalla is an okay game for what it is.
Bought the GOG version for 0.00$ from torrents, the art is nice, the dialogue is tolerable, but the VN waifu format is boring as hell. It's okay, though.

There is a better game with similar concept called...
Actually, I can't recall what the game is called, now that I think about it. Hold on, let me check real quick.

There, it's called Read Only Memories, I like it a lot more than I like Valhalla.
A very affectionate throwback to classic early Japanese adventure games, like Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken.
It's also a lot more interesting, both story-, character- and gameplay-wise.
>>
>>48059009
this aint a chatroom, you coulda just looked up the name without actually writing out a pause
>>
>>48059009
I'm not really sure how "cyberpunk adventure where everyone other than the protagonist is gay" has the same concept as "waifu vn, but with booze," but OK.
>>
File: Operator Dog.jpg (25 KB, 283x425) Image search: [Google]
Operator Dog.jpg
25 KB, 283x425
Looking through characters/character creation in the pdf of the book, will be probably joining my first game shortly. Mostly have creation down, just curious about 1-2 things
A. Buying-ranking a skill is 1 point per, yeah?
and you can only have up to 6 ranks in a skill at character creation, ignoring anything that modifies that, right?
B.Why does the priorities table have a BigX/smallY number split for skills? what's that signifify?
C.is a Weapons Specialist an alright archetype for a new player? or should I just be going something along the lines of Tank/Street Samurai/Adept.
I don't know nearly enough about the system to want to try most of the archetypes listed, but the second I saw weapons specialist I wanted to run one.
>>
>>48055906
WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE THE REPLIES!?

One character had pain editor and high toughness and could go for a few minutes.

Another one had an internal air tank and could choke on a dick for three hours.

The winner had cyber-gills and could do it indefinitely as long as they are underwater in a jacuzzi or something.
>>
>>48059009
ROM is fucking garbage, absolute trite
>>
>>48059408
A-Yes to both
B-36/5 is 36 skillpoints, and 5 skillgroup points.
C-Eh, go for it.
>>
>>48059510
I'm air tank guy.
>>
Can you use edge post an opposed roll? i.e. You roll shooting, get 4 net hits. Guy avoids and gets five net hits. You spend edge and get an additional 2 hits.

I don't think you can because it sounds really cheesy, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>48051466
>Not getting groceries in full heavy security armor
It's like you want to get shot by Aztech goons in a Stuffer Shack.
>>
>>48059646
No using edge once another roll is made, is how every game I've been in plays it.
>>
File: Weapons Specialist K-9.png (433 KB, 625x435) Image search: [Google]
Weapons Specialist K-9.png
433 KB, 625x435
>>48059613
>skillgroup points
So, that means If I had a B in skills, I could put something like 3 points into the firearm group, 2 points into athletics group, and 36 points into whatever individual skill I want, as long as it's only 3 points (for example) for longarms and pistols, 4 points into run/swim, and 6 into everything else?
>>
>>48059772
No, once you've invested points in a skill group, you cannot invest points in the skills they govern. However, you can invest karma into those skills, and it breaks up the skill group
>>
>>48059772
>>48059785
Basically, you invest 3 points into firearms, all your firearms skills will have 3 points. You won't be able to spend any more in pistols, or automatics, or longarms, but if you have karma at the end you can spend that karma to raise it up.
>>
Are there any time-based spells in shadowrun? Like, future vision and whatnot
>>
>>48059866
Divination is a metamagic, with an augury ritual. Street Grimoire.
>>
>>48056685
>Father Gregory
I still remember that drawthread you lucked out something fierce.
>>
File: Tweed.jpg (308 KB, 454x800) Image search: [Google]
Tweed.jpg
308 KB, 454x800
>>48059977
Do you have a copy?
>>
>>48059811
>>48059785
Oh, geez. And since I only have 5 group points total, I'd always be 1 less good at any gun someone who used individual skill points to max it, even if I put all the group points into it, but would be pretty good at all guns I like... hm.
I'll have to look more into karma, but It seems simple enough.

Thanks, Chummers. you're the best.
>>
>>48060029
No worries mate, i just figured out that rule a few days ago. I recommend putting it in something that'd be more universally useful but not key to your player, like stealth or athletics or close combat
>>
>>48060010
Not from the thread itself, but I managed to find said pic in question.
>>
File: Excited Ray.gif (930 KB, 160x215) Image search: [Google]
Excited Ray.gif
930 KB, 160x215
>>48060198
That is astounding. Anon really did luck out.
>>
>>48060198

It seems like you could crop the background out of that and hack it into one of the HBS games and it would fit in perfectly.
>>
>>48059772
follow up on this:
using Chummer5a, and some of my skills have parentheses, like pistols is 10 (12)
Do i get the 12 dice, or is there something special?
Also, recommendations on gun specialization?
>>
>>48061197
The 10 is your normal pool, 12 is with your area of specialization.
>>
>>48061222
Ah, alright.
Does that count towards the "highest rating a skill can have" mentioned on page 88?
>>
>>48061304
No. Specializations are a dice pool modifier in specific situations, not an increase in skill rating. You can have 6 ranks in a skill and a specialization at chargen.
>>
>Make character
>Everything goes well
>Get to equipment
Fuck me there's just so much.
Help a fledgling runner out here. What to grab?
>>
File: 1438980778061.jpg (436 KB, 800x1094) Image search: [Google]
1438980778061.jpg
436 KB, 800x1094
>>48061197
>recommendations on gun specialization

Varies hugely on what you want to do, and what you want your main weapon to be. The only good recommendation I know of that stays constant is for pistol people to pick semi-auto, because that's the majority of the best guns.

>>48061520
A fledgling runner should learn to lurk more and read the fucking thread.
>>
>>48061520
If you have Run Faster, assemble things using the Packs. Depending on what you're doing, this should either give you a good start, or make you realize that you have to cut.
>>
>>48061578
>semi auto pistols
alright, thanks.
That probably works best with my character idea, anyway.
>>
File: Cybergun.jpg (9 KB, 288x209) Image search: [Google]
Cybergun.jpg
9 KB, 288x209
So what concept do you keep coming back to, anons? What little bit of lore or gear or rules can you not help but keep working into your games?

For me, it's cyberweapons. Doesn't matter if it's guns or hand razors or monowhips or finger grenades, I can't help but weaponize arms. I was just out for a walk, and the whole time I was wanting to get back to Chummer so I could make an orc with a combination SMG/cyberspur arm.
>>
>>48059541
>not liking ROM
>>/out/
>>
>>48063400

I haven't made a 'normal' character in almost two years. They're all ridiculous gimmicks on some level.

Kool-Aid Gnome Infiltrator.
Beastmaster Dog Rigger.
Technomancer Loli Uberface.
'Make-Spirit-Knack-Useful' pokemon Trainer.
Weird Changeling Mage.
Weird Changeling Infiltrator.
'No Magic/Cyberware/Edgemaster' Shota.
Green-Lantern-but-with-Ice Mysadept.

It's never just a single facet of the rules, it's always finding some weird Different Thing to do.
>>
>>48063894
Seeing the list written out like that I guess I'm basically The Cancer but I'm also perma-GM so I guess karmically it balances out.
>>
>>48063938

I'm going to make a character called Gunhaser. His power is having guns. His character trait is having guns. He runs because he wants more guns. And he's racist against all metavariants.
>>
I want to run a game where character are street kids in a really bad slum, doing odd jobs for various low level criminals, businesspeople (As in, people who run a stall or a bar), and sometimes just the occasional dude.

The characters would start out super weak to drive the point home too.
Sum to 6 or something. (I haven't quite worked out how this will work yet)
>>
>>48064146
I forgot to add the question:

Any ideas, thoughts, critiques, or expletives to throw my way vis a vis this idea?
>>
>>48064146
>>48064157

Be careful, street level games are tricky to balance.

Basically advertise your game as 'Punk street kids shadowrun game' and make sure everyone's on the same page as to where their dice pools should be and how much skill/wealth they should be going in with.
>>
>>48064157
I've heard that a good semi-standardized priority line for that kind of game is A Metatype, C player's choice, and E the rest.
>>
File: Fagan.png (179 KB, 312x362) Image search: [Google]
Fagan.png
179 KB, 312x362
>>48064146
>>48064157
You can do it. I guarantee that, unless you have a very particular group, they'll hate it. There's no money for any good gear or cool ware, and even mages will be fairly gimped. Maybe the people you play with are fine with that, but in my experience Shadowrun is hard enough sell as-is, when you can promise people they can be a hueg chrometroll or a full shaman with Colt 1911s - telling them they'll be in that world, but won't get to do any of the cool stuff, is just rubbing it in.

Also, be prepared to have all-humans and maybe an elf, because they can't get anything good.
>>
>>48057303
Then it's pretty damn ironic that they're among the loudest opponents of modern psychiatry, and will go out of their way to deny their members professional mental healthcare and crush any psychiatrist ballsy enough to stand up to them.

Takes one to know one, I suppose.
>>
>>48064090
IDGI.
>>
>>48064280
Probably because part of psychiatry school is learning to recognize unhealthy relationships in patients' lives, and their exploitation by cults.

You don't see McDonalds handing out vouchers for free physicals to customers.
>>
>>48064208
I hear you.

I'm thinking magic is going to be the toughest nut to crack vis a vis balance, if you give enough nuyen for mundanes to match the magically inclined you lose the street kids vibe and even at low levels magic is very powerful.

>>48064242
Literally-no-humans the game?
Although that priority line, with the focus on race and special attributes, does serve the point well.

It's something to consider, it also stops one of the problems mentioned by
>>48064260

>>48064260
Well I wouldn't want my players to hate it, that's for sure.
I do see the lack of access to a lot of the more powerful things, explicitly since it's what about half the books focus on, but the idea of being limited surely isn't unique to my particular game, right?

Two questions:
Shouldn't that be spelled "Fagin" if it's reference to Oliver Twist?

Secondly: What's the source of that picture?
>>
>>48064157
Check out the Old FASA novel: "Lucifer Deck"

Cant garentee you'll like it but 50% of the story is about this street kid who gets dragged into a corp conspiracy while slowly awakening into a shaman. other 50% is about a Up and coming Newcaster who sees a potential story and gets in way over her head.
>>
>>48064280

How is that ironic? Do you think modern psychiatry, the use of medicine for psychological purposes, is somehow equivalent to a series of misappropriated platitudes drawn from psychoanalysis and classical psychology? Or did you not even think through your criticism and literally just decide to yell at me because you noticed the root prefix "psych" in two places?
>>
>>48064512

Eh, disregard the edginess of this comment, I misunderstood yours.
>>
>>48064481
Humans do have a niche in that lineup, mostly in having Edge Yes and Magic/Res Yes.

So there's uses for that, especially with a point or two in the pet making/keeping skills. (Human mages may want to get a bit of Alchemy just to be able to scrounge up reagents on short-ish notice. Especially if another mage in the group is a Rat totem.)
>>
File: Surge Gang Takes To Hooding.jpg (177 KB, 639x564) Image search: [Google]
Surge Gang Takes To Hooding.jpg
177 KB, 639x564
>>48064481
>the idea of being limited surely isn't unique to my particular game

No, but just try and do Sum-to-6. Try it and see how it turns out. There's a difference between "under a lot of pressure, with limited time and resources" and "you have practically nothing, you can't interact with any part of civilized society, you're just going to be knocking over convenience stores with Streetline Specials and as soon as someone gets knifed they're dead because you can't afford anything to save their life." It's too far, IMO.

Unless you do>>48064242, in which case everyone is going to be rolling in edge for a few sessions, but literally any fight will shred them because they have no BOD and no WIL, so overflow for multiple characters as soon as weapons come out (even just bare adult fists or a taser) is inevitable.

>Shouldn't that be spelled "Fagin" if it's reference to Oliver Twist?
Should be, but isn't. Correctly spelling character names from 200-year old books is not high on any street scum's priority list.
>Secondly: What's the source of that picture?
Can't remember, a 2e book maybe.

To keep magic down, no MysAds, only aspected magicians and adepts. Still powerful, but not as much.
>>
File: 1268135469331.jpg (19 KB, 282x323) Image search: [Google]
1268135469331.jpg
19 KB, 282x323
can someone post an example of a good filled out character sheet so I can get it as right as possible? Custom made sheet is fine, but would prefer the default one so I can get all my ducks in order.
I don't know how, but I always manage to fuck up making a sheet every time I learn a new system.
>>
>>48064841
>download chummer/chummer5
>create your character in it
>click on the printer symbol
>???????
>Profit
>>
>>48064260
What book/edition of Shadowrun is that from?
>>
>>48063400
High Agility + Iniative.

Right now, trying to work on a decker and it's really weird with life modules, because computer came out at 15 with 7 LOG + 8 Skill rating when it should be 6.

Hacker Hobbyist, Matrix Ghost, are the ones I selected.
>>
>>48064996
>Life Modules
eehhhh
>>
>>48064996
Life modules are always going to be really weird.
>>
>>48064946
Speaking of chummer, improved reflexes 2 currently breaks the program in half.

Nothing works after I add that to a character.
Anyone have similar problems?
>>
>>48065015
>>48065059
Yeah, but in my case, it's bugged at the moment.

Reloaded him again, and skillgroups are nonexistent.
Should have 2 ranks in engineering, but that's a nogo.

Also, LM is what the GM wants even though I'm better with karmagen/priority.
>>
>>48065015
Life modules are a great idea, the problem is the limit they set on it which means that you're always going to hit it super quick, which means either wasting points or having a very esoteric life.

It also has the problem of being both too generous and too stingy with points at the same time.

It does lead to wonderfully varied characters in terms of skills though.
Rarely do you ever see so broad a focus as when life modules are employed.
>>
>>48065124
LM doesn't work in chummer, at all.
Just don't try to do it with chummer.
>>
>>48065165
Well fuck.

Session is on sunday, this isn't good.
>>
>>48065422
At least life module is relatively easy to do by hand, so long as you have a lot of scrap paper around.
>>
What tradition would allow me to use holy water immolation and cross weapons, but would ALSO allow me to use the zodiac beasts?
>>
>>48065684
Chaos. Doubly so if you're actually going to be hunting vampires and ghouls like I think you are.

(Use Sunbeam for holy water immolation, I say.)
>>
>>48065737
He also does werewolves, frankensteins, and swamp monsters.
Frankensteins cost extra. Frankenstein technology has advanced so far that they're like little WMDs now.
>>
>>48065760
Depending on how you want to interpret it, a Frankenstein is just somebody with a lot of used Bioware.

I think when I finish the Camil reference, I'll make that next.
>>
>>48065785
I need to come up with some kind of tornado classification system for grades of frankenstein.
>>
>>48065815
SnS, Regular, Ex, EX-Ex
>>
>>48050758
What's Switzerland like?
>>
>>48065885
Kek, lol, and the like.
>>
Why do people play Shadowrun? It's one of the most poorly designed games ever published. It's fundamentally broken on a number of different levels.

If you want to play in the setting, I'd advise using GURPS to do it.
>>
>>48065913
Because GURPS doesn't have the shopping factor, and we really *really* like the setting.
>>
>>48065913
i don't like GURPS, i think it's fucking garbage and i hate people like you for trying to shove it down everyone's throats like it's the savior of gaming

although yeah, you have a point
>>
>>48065979
I like the setting except for the retarded parts.
Like centaurs having horse heads.
And there not being any robot dudes.
>>
>>48066079
oh, also, mermaids not being fine fish bitches.
I am against any lore that describes mermaids as anything other than fine fish bitches. Possibly fine fish bitches that sing to trick you into dying horribly so they can steal your shit.
>>
>>48066079
I mean, there ARE robot dudes. AIs loaded into drones.

The centaurs having horse heads is fucking dumb though, on that we agree.
>>
>>48066150
they're really, really shittily made robot dudes. I want game balance, damnit.
And yeah, fuck horsehead centaurs.
>>
>>48065065
Can't reproduce it. Do you get an error or anything?
>>
>>48064146
I would love a story-driven street level game. Gang politics, rep building, survival skills, fixing up a makeshift clubhouse with lights and a decent air filter, mini-heists, street fights, and pipes and chains over guns. Shit getting really really real when you accidentally kill some asshole suit who thinks he can beat on your little brother just because he's SINless. Your best chummer getting in too deep with a narco gang trying to keep everyone fed.
That makes me want to cook up crazy get-rich plans and build a fortress of neon garbage. It'd be like The Little Rascals, but all dark and shitty and Uh-Huh is an orc.
>>
File: Rigger Max Steel.jpg (369 KB, 1024x1448) Image search: [Google]
Rigger Max Steel.jpg
369 KB, 1024x1448
>>48066180
>I want game balance, damnit.

There is game balance. The balance is "If these drones are as good as people, why the fuck are there any street samurai or adepts? You can get 8 Duelists for the price of WR1, with some change left over for a soysmoothie as your rigger does all the runs for you, obviating the entire point of Shadowrun."
>>
>>48066229
Nope, it just stops counting the values for attributes.
Like if I add more points to an attribute it doesn't count them for the "total", or remove XP.
>>
>>48066180
If you want to be a scary shooter, the proper combination of AI, drone, deck, and gun can get you a die pool somewhere in the neighborhood of Oh, Dreck.

It's just you're not doing it the intuitive way, you can't get the good bonuses from being rigged in, but some of that can be offset by a good roll with a rating 4 or 5 (depending on drone size) active sensor attack.
>>
>>48066276
See, someone gets it!
>>
>>48066318
explain further, because fuck if all the rules aren't awful
>>48066290
Fair point, but still, fuck damn crap and other things.
>>
File: 1406986744705.jpg (769 KB, 1280x1983) Image search: [Google]
1406986744705.jpg
769 KB, 1280x1983
So I saw the run faster book having packs post in the thread earlier, and have a little question about the book.
I'm in the pack section, and certain packs have an (X)R or (X)F in addition to the price/karma for them.
What's that stand for?
>>
File: 1465477185625.png (153 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
1465477185625.png
153 KB, 500x357
>>48066523
Availability. R is restricted, you need a license for it (in public), F is Forbidden, cannot have it at all legally. The number is the availability. In standard games, if that number is 12 or less don't worry about it.
>>
File: ecstreet_by_solarsouth-d9ep8z5.jpg (255 KB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
ecstreet_by_solarsouth-d9ep8z5.jpg
255 KB, 1280x640
>>48066523

Availability. The number is how hard it is to buy a relatively untraceable one on the black market and the letter is either not present (legal for everyone), R (legal with a license), or F (not legal for civilian ownership).

See pages 416 - 419 of the core book for more info.
>>
>>48066584
>>48066575
Damn, that's actually pretty cool, nice little touch.
Thanks, anons.

>12 or less don't worry about it
as in, don't worry about it being restricted, or don't worry about buying it, cause good luck, fuck you if you want this?
>See pages 416 - 419 of the core book for more info.
Still reading through the core book pdf, thanks for the tip.
My FLGS sold it's only copy of the core book recently, stuck with the pdf, it's mildly annoying trying to read through it all.
>>
>>48066702
Availability for goods is capped at 12; if you buy anything with higher avail., you need a special quality to get it.

You always need a (fake) license for R goods in public, even if it's 1R. The number is used to determine how hard it is to get, which has no relation to the legality.
>>
>>48066462
Now, keep in mind I haven't mathed this out all the way to see what priorities you need to pull it off, just that it can sorta fit in the priority build. This is why I'm not assuming Exceptional Entity, you might not have the points for it priority.

The build needs these things, maxed Intuition, a good cyberdeck with at least Smoke-and-Mirrors and Toolbox on it (initial estimates on my end put it as a DR 3 one), some cable, a data tap, a gun, and the drone, at minimum.

You want to make the cyberdeck your home, and have the optimization bonus be half your Int to Sleaze (round up).

Now you're not going to take Pilot Origins, because ironically, you want to control things the hard way. And for a manual weaponry on a drone or vehicle that means you're rolling Gunnery+Agi. My AI doesn't have an Agility score you say? Well, you're wrong. When you need a physical attribute for a roll you can take, you sub in one of the Matrix Attributes for it. In the case of Agi, that's Sleaze.

So you jack the Sleaze up with Smoke-And-Mirrors and your optimization bonus, run toolbox so that a low Data Processing doesn't cap your limits too much, and use the cable to directly plug your deck into the drone to avoid any possible Noise penalties.

Use Control Device to shoot and because it's not an automatic gun, you need to roll Agi+Gunnery to shoot. Assuming that you got the cheapest DR 3 deck I know of (Azteca 300), you've got an Agi of 15, Gunnery of 6, hopefully a specialty, and a Limit that's the lower of 6 or the weapon's accuracy.

Add in an active sensor attack, some semi-auto, and the enemy's taking a bad penalty to their dodges. But that's probably not necessary.
>>
>>48065891
Anyone?

Swiss Runners? Are they a thing?
>>
>>48066904
while I thank you for giving me something that might work, that's SUCH BULLSHIT OH MY GOD
Not like your work is bullshit, but it is bullshit the workarounds you need to make a viable robut.
>>
>>48067053
One of the German books mentions them, Chrom & Dioxin, but I don't know Kraut. Some kind of mixed-language federation, not that different from now afaik. UN HQ is there, not in New York.
>>
>>48067085
If you want maximum bs, see if you have the budget to mod in a better Pilot program, get rating 4 defense and clearsight autosofts, and see if the GM will let you use the drone's active Sensor attack for your shots.

Just tell it to always be on Full Defense so that you've got a double digit defense pool. And while you're at it, try and buy a modded drone limb and go crazy with the cyberlimb mods. (I took a closer look at the wording of Drone Limb. You can use all the nice cyberlimb mods. They just don't get the price break.)
>>
>>48065891
Check Shadows of Europe.

Quick summary:
>Divided into multiple provinces
>West switzerland speaks french, East switzerland speaks german
>They are still hella neutral
>Corporate Extraterritoriality restricted to special zones
>The swiss have NOT signed the Corporate Court's Business Recognition Accords
>Huge quarantines mean they actually didn't have a huge VITAS die off
>Put up laws that prevented mages and Metahumans from entering the country, 'politely asked' the natives 'suffering' from the Awakening to leave.
>'Mistook' goblinization for a disease, put up 'decontamination centers' to cure the orks/trolls. This involved horribly unethical experimentation. Even after this became public knowledge, most swiss inhabitants did not care.
>Metahuman Segregation Laws passed, restricting meta rights.
>West Switzerland said 'Fuck that', made motions to leave the nation until their provinces where given the opportunity to 'opt out' of the MSL.
>Banned magic from being used. This includes adepts.
>Dwarves and elves lobby successfully, become exempt from the MSL.
>SUrge happens, Switzerland freaks out again.
>enact under-the-table non-consentual sterilization by hiring Genom Corp.
>This gets leaked, international scandal.
>>
>>48067238
will getting pilot origins anyway just in case somehow disrupt or damage this build, by the way?
>>
>>48067255
Also, obviously they tend more towards white collar crime, matrix crime, and stuff with their banks than they do the normal 'runner crime stuff.

But mostly they're just wealthy, anti meta, anti magic.
>>
Hey, I'm using chummer5 for the first time, and I can't remove specializations that I plugged in by accident, is there any step/thing I'm missing?
I've just trying to delete them via backspace, or reduce the skill to 0 and then raise it back up, but that doesn't work.
>>
>>48067387
try using the delete key?
Not sure, chummer has been acting up lately.

Also, any info for a first time decker?
>>
>>48067287
Well, I specifically didn't want to be jumped in because that lets them damage you by shooting the drone for one.

Other than that, as long as you don't have the gun installed into the drone you probably should be able to.
>>
yeah, I don't mean to jump into my primary drone.
Just in case I have to, I don't know, do some crazy shit with a car I'm not connected to or something.
>>
>>48067454
this to this
>>48067434
>>
>>48067255
Huh, for some reason I wasn't really expecting Switzerland to be anti-magic. Anti-Metahuman? Sure, they have pretty strick immigration laws and like to keep outsiders out. So that seems reasonable.

However, they've always been pretty early adopters for early technology and like to stay on the ball with new developments so they don't fall behind. Magic is mercurial, but it's uncharacteristic of the Swiss to so openly and arrogantly turn away a possible advantage.

Thanks though, I was thinking about having a Street Sam that's an ex-corporate heavy from Switzerland, so that's really helpful.
>>
File: Confused.jpg (7 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
Confused.jpg
7 KB, 186x208
>>48067486
>I was thinking about having a Street Sam that's an ex-corporate heavy from Switzerland

Why? You obviously hadn't read Shadows of Europe, the go-to place for info on Europe, and you didn't know anything about SR Switzerland. Do you just like the accent?

Honestly curious. I don't understand deciding on a national origin without knowing anything about what the place is like.
>>
>>48066904
>And for a manual weaponry on a drone or vehicle that means you're rolling Gunnery+Agi. My AI doesn't have an Agility score you say?
Actually, the bit I'll point out is that AIs can't do manual control on a mounted weapon without wrapping their mitts around the grip and physically pulling the trigger.
What you're looking for is gunnery + logic.
>>
>>48067405
dont be just a decker

a rating 2 deck is plenty at chargen

overclocker is the best quality

perceptive is also very good

intuition is almost as important as logic

dont be just a decker
>>
>>48067518
Naw, just finished playing a Degenesis campaign as a Hellvetic, liked it a lot, and wanted to make a similar character. Thought I might ask about Switzerland here before I read the section of the book and mull over some ideas. I'm just fond of clean efficiency and uncomfortable militarism of the nation.
>>
>>48067557
>a rating 2 deck is plenty at chargen

This is bad advice and you should feel bad for giving it. Chargen is exactly the right time to splurge on a really expensive deck that will last for a good chunk of the campaign, because you're never going to have hundreds of thousands of nuyen for the taking again.
>>
>>48067255
Other stuff:
>You will be arrested if you don't have a small chip in you that broadcasts an ID. This chip can be checked without you knowing. Tourists and visitors can get temporary chips.
>Because swiss banks, Switzerland went heavy into Matrix 2.0 when it launched after The Crash.
>Switzerland has Matrix Cops that enforce Data Traffic
>They still use the Swiss Franc, and use physical currency. Nuyen is accepted, other currencies are not.
>'Digital Opium' is a trendy drug in Switzerland.
>The swiss are racist to the 'All orks/trolls look the same' extent, so fake IDs for them are easier to make.
>Zurich is -paranoid- level secure, The cops there are heavily auged supercops
>The alps are still there, with special 'Mountain Infantry' corps stationed there.
>The UN still exists, though it almost collapsed due to Awakeneing/SURGE/VITAS/Eurowar I and II, and had to be propped up by the corporate court to continue functioning. They're now headquarted in Geneva.
>Incidentally that makes Geneva the only 'multicultural' city in Switzerland.
>>
File: 1417412360609.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1417412360609.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>48067387
got it to work...somewhat.
had to delete text, save character, exit & restart chummer.

Have a question, though:
can cyberlimbs be better than the maximum a race can have?
Like could I make an elf that has a +5 cyberlimb arm for 8 AGI?
>>
>>48067632
In 4e at least, you could Customize your cyberlimb up to your Racial Max, and then put in Augments to boost it all the way up to Augmented Max.
>>
File: Cyberfinger.png (30 KB, 814x454) Image search: [Google]
Cyberfinger.png
30 KB, 814x454
>>48067632
Customize to natural max, enhance up to 3 beyond. 456 core.

read the damn book
>>
>>48067693
...Having just one cyer-finger seems weirdly lewd.

Like, more than a hand or lower arm would be.
>>
>>48067537
This is definitely one of those things you can argue. Here's my steps.

One, Control Device gives the example of Dex+Gunnery, and that's definitely not wrapping mitts on anything.

Two, it's intentionally going for a humaniform drone so that I can have a metahuman type limb and fire a manual weapon in a metahuman way. (The gun is not connected to anything.)

Three, Gunnery+Logic is said to be for remote-operation guns explicitly on 183, which is presumably where riggers get to use that instead of their likely lower AGI. Unless they decide to do this same stupid bypass.

Although, it can be argued that we should be rolling Agi+Pistols or Automatics or Longarms or Exotic Weapon, as that's what Control Device implies should be rolled if I was for some reason controlling my friend's cyberarm to shoot because he left wireless on, left wireless control on, and gave me three marks for some reason.
>>
File: 47078297_p0.jpg (1000 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
47078297_p0.jpg
1000 KB, 1000x1500
>>48066771
>Availability for goods is capped at 12; if you buy anything with higher avail., you need a special quality to get it.

Note that this only applies in chargen. Buying things afterwards requires a opposed Negotiation check against a number of dice equal to the item's Availability.
>>
What's something fun to do with a max-level bulk-modded cybertorso? I like the idea of having a runner who looks like a huge fat bastard but it's all 'ware underneath.
>>
>>48067972
If you don't mind being a little silly (but much less so than the rules abuse I laid out for the AI above), install a rating 5 sensor array, an internal air tank, some armor, and as much Nutrition Storage System as you want to put in there.
>>
>>48066229
Hey chummer, I'm trying to implement a houserule into chummer. Its a de-customization that reduces the cyberlimb's base str/agi to 1 or 2. I'm trying to use a custom_cyberware file for this, but I can't get any of my custom Cyberlimb Enhancements to work. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>48067972
Actually, see if you can put in a micro-flare launcher. Use the sensors for an active sensor attack (you have eight functions in the array, you'd have to intentioally not get ones that would help in this case) and then fry people with mini-flares.
>>
What's the default capacity for armor? (4th edition)
If I wanted to put a commlink into my ballistic mask, where's the rules for that?

Arsenal 44 says that capacity would be mentioned along side the armor, but ballistic mask doesn't have any. (War 161)
Since a ballistic mask gives the same total stat spread (+2/+1 instead of +1/+2) as a helmet, and Arsenal 44 says that the helmet would have a capacity of 7, does this mean a ballistic mask would have a capacity of 7?
Arsenal 129 also says you can overmodify weapons. Is it possible to overmodify armor?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.