[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 30
File: 1466247802049s.jpg (10 KB, 192x250) Image search: [Google]
1466247802049s.jpg
10 KB, 192x250
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread: >>47908761
>>
Man, say what you will about DH1E vs DH2E but the design and formatting of the DH2E core rulebook is gorgeous
>>
>>47992367
Design is good, but the content/crunch is too streamlined and generisized. It's lost all the flavour.
>>
>>47992398
Felt the same way when I read the DH2 CRB first, but the additional source material added some flavour. While not enough yet it's a nice start.
>>
>>47992398
>it became a less of a fucking slog to play with
>"lost the flavour"

nice use of buzzwords to try and covey your shitty opinion
>>
>>47992398
>>47992530
Not to dismiss your opinion, first anon, but I do find it a lot less clunky. Could you elaborate on your point?
>>
Dark Heresy investigations that would go better than expected but won't because of incompetent PCs.

Go
>>
>>47993158
Noble murder mystery.
>>
>>47993158
Friendly charitable religious organisation is actually a genestealer cult.
>>
>>47993158
The majority if my group is anything to go by.
>>
>>47993158
Babysitting the planetary governor's toddler
>>
on a square grid how big is the sentinel?
>>
>>47993436
Using what for increments?
>>
>>47992530
When was it a slog? Is your IQ in double digits so you can't handle even this?

>>47992588
Rereading my post, I seem to have worded it very, very wrongly, so let me elaborate.

My problem is not with the crunch (which didn't change that much), but with the setting and fluff that is built on it. The descriptions for everything is so generic and vague so it could fit with anything that it lacks real character. There are no interesting/freaky options/weapons/gear/augmentations, and sector fluff is just badly written.
>>
>>47993448
Only War, nothing more.
>>
>>47993524

What measurmennts are you using? How big is each square? 1 foot? 1 meter? 10 meters?
>>
>>47993483
>The descriptions for everything is so generic and vague so it could fit with anything that it lacks real character. There are no interesting/freaky options/weapons/gear/augmentations, and sector fluff is just badly written.
Because it addresses a valid point of the first edition:everything was locked into the Calixis sector, which is great for generic games that go by the book, bad for gms who want their own sector or fluff.
However, I am an old school gm who feels tha t it is best to make my own shit up, giving me full control over the world and what's in it, compared to something in a book (not for the least of reasons so some d-bag player can't point to the fucking book and try to tell me how to run my game).
Your opinion seems endemic to the 3e generation where setting specific details seem to be more important than anything else, rather than the info in the book being the underpinnings of what the gm wants to present.
>>47993524
Thats not increments.
>>
>>47993563
one meter, a human occupies one square while a chimera 6 x 3 or 5 x 3 depending on variant
>>
>>47993660
>Thats not increments
Sorry, i'm not a native english speaker, so, "increment" and "supplement" does have the same meaning for me. What is a "increment"?
>>
>>47993700
see
>>47993563
>>47993642
>>47993664
Also,lrn2Google, then lrn2Merican.
>>
>>47991518
So in Only War, does the heavy's stabilize ability change the modifiers of suppressing fire (which was like -20 or -30) to a +10 instead?
>>
>>47993660
>Your opinion seems endemic to the 3e generation where setting specific details seem to be more important than anything else, rather than the info in the book being the underpinnings of what the gm wants to present.
No. I just like reading things that have character in them. And DH2 stuff is too bland even for a purposedly generic text - when the descriptions for background/roles are written in a way to allow anything to go with everything (fluff-wise, at least), it starts to feel that there's no point in picking anything at all, since it's all the same.
As for building stuff - I can build my OC Donut steel fluff off either generic or specific base, but I like to work with stuff that can give inspiration rather than a tasteless gruel.
>>
>>47993739
No, because supressive fire is a particular action with particular rules, not a semi or full auto fire action.
>>47993793
>it starts to feel that there's no point in picking anything at all, since it's all the same.
People like you actually exist?
It's like I'm listening to a 4e D&D argument where how something works in the game is second to how it's written about in the book.
>>
>>47993739
A bit weird on it, but it looks like a no since it is shooing to suppress with hitting being an incidental bonus.
>>
>>47991518
The homebrew regimental creation pdf is missing half the entry for siege infantry.
>>
File: flooded world.gif (248 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
flooded world.gif
248 KB, 768x512
>>47993793

Askellon is bland sector because it's doomed and already in decline. Calixis was a strong sector, that was suffering problems. Askellon is a corpse on life support. Calixis is set up so you can prevent major things before they get out of hand. Askellon is set up that the worst has already happened, and you're trying to keep the remnants going by pissing in a sea of piss.
>>
>>47993336
If your players aren't nuking apparently charitable organizations on sight, it's worse than mere incompetence.

>>47993436
You have pics like that for the rest of the guard?
>>
Warhammer 40k is basically the pinnacle of escapist nerd fantasy because the stoic, antisocial virgins of the Space Marines/Battle Sisters are the strongest and most competent forces in the galaxy while the sexhaver normies of the Imperial Guard/citizenry basically exist as cannon fodder breeders that live to be slaughtered by everything else in the galaxy until the proud noble virgins show up to save them. There's humans in the Tau Empire too but they're all race traitor degenerates so who gives a shit what happens to them.

Warhammer 40k basically exists in a continuity where millions of Elliot Rodgers exist and have been made into supermen by God Himself.
>>
>>47993844
"like I'm listening" is (most likely unintentiuonally) a very right choice of words, because you're not listening, you're reading part of the statement that confirms to your preexisting conclusions and gleefuly jumping to them without bothering to actually analyse it.
I'm criticizing the writing, whil you think I'm criticizing the crunch. Pay more attention to the context next time.
>>
>>47993928
>all of this projecting
>>
>>47993910
>If your players aren't nuking apparently charitable organizations on sight, it's worse than mere incompetence
You can't assume every charitable org is secretly evil, because the second you do, you just nuked the Universal Guardsman Relief Fund in the name of the Inquisition, pissed off its Ministorum backers, the Guard, the Arbites, and the Munitorium in one go, and now your inquisitor is calling you up to remind you what happens when you assume and recommend the proper length of rope for your impending hanging.
>>
>>47994005
>Hanging
That isn't a purification pyre.
>>
>>47993940
No, because the writing is superseding the crunch in your mind, as evidenced by
>when the descriptions for background/roles are written in a way to allow anything to go with everything (fluff-wise, at least), it starts to feel that there's no point in picking anything at all, since it's all the same
No one who PLAYS the game can say that, if only because cursory knowledge of the setting tells you there is a difference between the 3 motes that make up a character, and practical play dispels such notions fairly quickly.
I've only ever seen the 3e D&D generation espouse the idea that book fluff > your fluff, or that it is required for the fluff to make every selection "unique and special" so you can feel good just for picking your class.
Try applying what you said to any game without rigid classes, and you see how silly it actually is, where it's on the player to craft a unique character that can contribute to the game.
>>
>>47994017
In my games, at least, death by pyre (In an official capacity, anyway) is reserved for rogue witches and really spectacular cases of heresy and/or treason. Anyone who manages to get that sentence and loses a character into it is to be rewarded with light applause and the have dice thrown at them.
>>
Is the highest a skill gained through regiment and specialty +10 or can it go higher?
>>
>>47994036
>No, because the writing is superseding the crunch in your mind.
It isn't and neither is the opposite, how I suspect your case may be.
>I've only ever seen the 3e D&D generation espouse the idea that book fluff > your fluff, or that it is required for the fluff to make every selection "unique and special" so you can feel good just for picking your class.
And haven't I told you that this is not what I'm thinking either?
>No one who PLAYS the game can say that, if only because cursory knowledge of the setting tells you there is a difference between the 3 motes that make up a character, and practical play dispels such notions fairly quickly.
I play the game, and I have more than a cursory knwoledge of the setting, so you miss here too.

I'll spell it out again, because I have already told this in an earlier post - my problem is not with the crunch or how the fluff and writing relates to it, but with a fluff and writing on it's own. The only thing I can be accosted of is not wording my thoughts more clearly, but that particular piece I have already clarified.

Are you actually trying to talk to me, or are you just venting/posting things you wanted to say for a while without even checking if they relate to what I say?
>>
>>47993909
I'm sorry if I bother, but are there any plans for future releases or updates of your homebrew content?
>>
>>47993909
>Askellon is a corpse on life support
Much like the Emperor and the Imperium in general.
>>
>>47994477
Heretics pls go and stay go.
>>
>>47994005
>the Universal Guardsman Relief Fund
>charitable

I don't think so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk

You can recognize the genestaler cults because you don't require a trained adept equipped with a couple complutation servitors and a few years of free time to go through the application forms.
>>
File: Spess Mareen BOY NEXT DOOR.png (623 KB, 540x776) Image search: [Google]
Spess Mareen BOY NEXT DOOR.png
623 KB, 540x776
>>47994460

Yes, I have a number of things to update in The Fringe is Yours. Here is my plan for the future based on what people have told me or pointed out.

-Add Graviton Wave to Thanatar Calix Grav Ram.
-Replace Energy damage to Impact damage for all Grav weapons
-Abeyant Nerf - UNMODIFIED Toughness
-Styrix description clarification (Carronade to Chieorovile)
-Bio-Corrosive Round Update (Add Corrosive), add to Vorax options.
-Warp Spider Warp Jump Pack clarification
-Add Vultarax Stratos-Automata when it comes out
-Add Phosphex Web Projector (Ship Component)
-Add Kinetic Lance (Ship Component)
-Fix Rotor Cannon in Armaments. Fixed in Battle Automata section already.
-Volkite Grand Bombard nerf - -1 strength
-Add the Barracuda AX-5-2

As for my other stuff, I'm still working on the third book, which will more or less be a Deathwatch book for playing in the Great Crusade. My notes for that are floating around in the Republican Commando Collected Visions, but I should probably post the notes by themselves so peeps can have a look.

I'll probably make more progress on it after Republican Commando, and before I run Solaris Binary Soul.

>>47994477

no u fgt
>>
>>47994724
>He gets the application forms right away
Ha! Luxury! We have to start with the Request To Release Information On A Serving/Served Guardsman #454136 Form Request Form Request Form, the Medical Information On Serving/Served Guardsman #454163 Form Request Form, the Request for Guardsman Charitable Aid Form #544631 Form Request Form, a Guardsman Psychological/Orthodoxy test #645431 Form Request Form, the signature of our commanding officer in triplicate, and then the actual forms themselves, then the Charitable Application Form Request Form, a three month wait while all previous paperwork gets lost in the Warp, another six months waiting period for re-request of form request forms, two months processing delay, *then* we can apply for charitable aid. Oh wait, Little Sick Timmy died of Broxian Ultracancer and the tumor ripped its way out of his corpse and killed Sarge. Oh well.
>>
>>47993717
Metric is the official measurement of the Imperium.
>>
>>47994853
>Ultracancer
I wish I was worthy enough to be blessed by a tumorous growth named after the Emperor's greatests.
My cancer weeps every night (I think? It does looks like pus sometimes), aware that it can never be an Ultramarine.
>>
>>47993910
>You have pics like that for the rest of the guard?
yes, i do
>>
Just what the hell do you give a super heavy armor regiment with the 30 kit points you get?
>>
>>47995281
A best-craftsmanship teapot, a silver spoon, and six tea bags. Per character.
>>
>>47995320
Is there anywhere on a baneblade to mount a vehicle-class power field force field?
>>
>>47995342
Probably? Ask your GM, m8
>>
>>47995355
Well, technically I am. I was wondering where the fuck this 500kg field generator could fit.
>>
>>47995540
Probably somewhere next to engine.

IIRC it can be fit on smaller vehicles, it surely would fit on teh baneblade.
>>
>>47995540
>>47995601
The baneblade is the size of a fucking house, exact placement doesn't really matter.
>>
File: baneblade-whole_1374141894[1].jpg (319 KB, 1680x1289) Image search: [Google]
baneblade-whole_1374141894[1].jpg
319 KB, 1680x1289
>>47995540
Have you seen the space available inside that thing? You probably just have to remplace one of the three shrines or remove a couple skulls.

>>47995217
Please post them, anon, you're my only hope.

>>47995320
Fun fact: Most british vehicles have electric keetles for preparing tea.
Fun fact: No french vehicle has a coffee machine. They just put the pot on the badly insulated engine.
You can make good coffee with an AML, though.
>>
>>47995632
>Replace a shrine
Well, the regiment is from a shrine world, though it does also have the reliquary doctrine.
>>
>>47995320
Great. Now I want to play a british upper class superheavy regiment... and I'm the only one in my group who even wants to play OW...
>>
>>47995861
You're lucky to have a group, I just make regiments.
>>
>>47995632
want something in special? i have IG, CSM, SM(ultramarines only, for now, i'm painting the imperial fists), Demons, Eldars, Edgy Eldar, GK, Necrons, Orks, Sisters, Tau and Tyranids
also how big should a square grid on d&d scale?
>>
>>47996138
>>
File: Chauchat SMG.jpg (85 KB, 736x752) Image search: [Google]
Chauchat SMG.jpg
85 KB, 736x752
Here's a cool weapon to throw at your players to add a bit of spice to the standard autogun. I was bored and decided to roll up a weapon with the Only War pattern creator in Hammer of the Emperor.

Choo-Zhau Pattern Assault Autogun
Basic, 75m, S/2/10, 1d10+4 I, Pen 0, Clip 20, Reload Half, Unreliable, 3kg, Average

Lightweight Material: Reduces the penalty for firing it one-handed to –10.
Rapid Clip Ejection: Reduce the Reload of the weapon by one Full Action (to a minimum of one Half Action).
Erratic: This weapon gains the Unreliable Quality.
Delicate: Whenever this weapon Jams, roll 1d10. On a result of 1, the weapon’s internal mechanisms seize up or snap, and it must be repaired with a Hard (–20) Tech-Use Test that requires at least several minutes before it can be fired again.

The Choo-Khatt-Pattern Assault Autogun was developed by the Brice Union Committe for Small Arms Deployment as a stopgap solution for arming assault troops during the years-long stalemate of the Verdant Line offensive on Brice/Auhussia*. As the supply of lasweapons quickly dwindled due to combat losses the Brice union had to resort to easy-to-produce ballistic weaponry, and after several round of discussion and debate the agreed-upon pattern was named after both the chairman of the B.U.C.S.A.D, Aldric Choo, and the Adeptus Mechanicus Enginseer Prime of the Brice faction, Enginseer Prime Sigma-5 Zhau.

[Continued in next post]
>>
>>47997288
The weapon has several major design flaws, several of which are so bad that in the hands of a untrained soldier, the weapon has a effective lifespan counted in hours before most, if not all, moving parts needs immediate replacement. It does have some areas where it shines though. It's light weight, overpowered cartridge and quick magazine release makes it a formidable short to medium range solid projectile weapon for use in close quarters in the hands of a well-trained and disciplined soldier.

*The Brice/Auhussia conflict began with a administratum schism on official planetary name when the planet was officially declared colonized. Two high ranking administratum officials, Lexicator-Prefect William Brice and Lexicator-Prefect Johann Auhussia, demanded to have the planet named after themselves, citing previous promises and deeds. No middle ground or compromise was deemed acceptable and the situations quickly spiraled into all-out war as different branches of the governing body supported one side or the other. The conflict has, at the point of scribing this document, still not ended and has become a source of hardened fighters fit to bolster the ranks of any Imperial Guard regiment. For more information on the subject, see Dataslate 19141918WWI “General Panic and Major Shellshock - a breakdown of the Brice/Auhussia debacle “ by C.Hurchill & H.Itler.
>>
Where are the 40k maps for roll20? I need some space hulk tiles or anything from the other games.
>>
File: Ogryn.png (6 KB, 31x41) Image search: [Google]
Ogryn.png
6 KB, 31x41
>>47997278
>>
>>47993954
Prove me wrong, anon.
>>
>>47997864
Sure thing.

Your problem is that you miss the point so much that you might as well be shooting in the opposite direction.
Space Marines and SoBs are the strongest (SoBs, strongest. Hah! When was the last time you heard of them winning something?) not because they don't have sex, but because they train like crazy and get best equipment and in case of SMs, get kickass modifications. Space Wolves get laid, as far as I have heard Sororitas don't exactly have celibatus (depends on the order, to be specific). And if virinity gave power here, the strongest would be techpriests and administratum clerks.

The fact that you forgot such basic facts hint that you are completely absorbed in your own issues to the point that you don't see anything else.
>>
Should I use a false hydra for my next dark heresy session? How would I go about stating it?
>>
Hey all, running a rogue trader soon. I was doing a bit of brainstorming, and though of something for the BBEG: Would an enemy rogue trader party that hates the party's guts work out fine? I was thinking something like a party of:

-The Rogue Trader: This is the dude in charge, and he is full of himself. To the point of killing subordinates for mis-spelling or trying to shorten his massive name.

-The bodyguard: A masterwork cyber enhanced bodyguard with an affinity for swords. Think: A total fucking weaboo cyberninja cameo

-The brains: A pirate as fuck seneschal who is a swashbuckling motherfucker, always carrying bathtub ale even though they can afford more.
>>
>>47998229
That would be amazing, but don't. If you stat it, it implies it can be confronted in a way that negates the horror.
>>
File: Great Crusade Ship weapons.png (905 KB, 714x814) Image search: [Google]
Great Crusade Ship weapons.png
905 KB, 714x814
>>47994460
>>47994727

If you want to take a look at some of the stuff I made for the Great Crusade stuff, take a look through

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9gu6411up62pc64/Deathwatch_Great_Crusade_Testing_Ground.rar

It contains the excel document with weapons, gear, vehicles, new assets, dreadnoughts, that sort of thing, as well as separated PDFs for Legion Breachers, Legion Seekers, (Partial) Legion Centurions/Consuls, and Legion Destroyers. Legion Recon guys aren't done, and I already know the Destroyer is ass and needs a rework. Hell, most of it is being messed with as time goes on, as my players point shit out and I fix things.
>>
>>47998229
>>47998954
False hydra? Whazzat?
>>
What is your favorite weapon modification/upgrade and why?
>>
>>47997497
>>47997278
>>47996138
Thanks anon. Personally I use 1cm squares for one regular human.
>>
>>48004066
if you tell me what u want i can upload the entire army somewhere
>>
I'd particularly interested in guard, sisters, edgy eldars and tau.
But I'd be happy enought with the guard in a first time.

You made those yourself?

>>47997288
You make nice fluff.

Wouldn't the "Corrupted pattern" fit better with the Chauchat? 30.06 version being the RL Ares excalibur and all that.
>>
So...

My ork Kommando of a year just got hit by concentrated tzeentchian warp energy and mutated

He's a 9 feet tall Nobmmando and what do I roll? Fucking wings.

Basically, fuck yeah. Now that I have tzeentches blessing I have something from each chaos God. Daemon axe of khorne, daemon sword of slaanesh, armour of nurgles wyrm, and now orky fungal wings from tzeentch.

Who does an ork get when he wins chaos undivided?
>>
>>48004810
> 30.06 version being the RL Ares excalibur and all that.
The only 30-06 versions of the chauchat were the horrible fucked-up retooled ones that were sent to US troops as training versions. The original version chambered the french 8mm lebel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCwP3Dm52Ls
>>
>>48005346
My point exactly. In Shadowrun the Ares Excalibur is a gun made to shoot special ammo that has been rechambered in a standard caliber to be mass-produced. It's an utter disaster, and it jams constantly (in the best of cases).

>>48005178
Scorn form the rest of the boyz?
That aside, I doubt the Chaos gods are specist.
>>
>>48005410
Oh I didn't know that. I guess you could replace Erratic with Corrupted Pattern to represent a retooled 30-06 version
>>
File: Capture.png (536 KB, 1890x874) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
536 KB, 1890x874
>>47991518
Hey all,

I've made a Dark Heresy 2nd Edition Character creation tool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps0463fil43wsvz/PrismaticFire%20DH%202e%20Character%20Creator%20v0.9.9.2.xlsm?dl=0

Can this be added to the mega. It's early days, but it's got auto-calculation of xp costs for skills, attributes and tier 1 talents.

Thank you to the 40k Roleplay armoury - I've taken all of the DH2 items out and included them in this.
>>
File: 2.png (553 KB, 1573x839) Image search: [Google]
2.png
553 KB, 1573x839
>>48005569

No Enemy Within, Without or Beyond talents/traits etc. yet, but there are Enemy Within Items and weapons.
>>
File: stuffs.png (392 KB, 1729x803) Image search: [Google]
stuffs.png
392 KB, 1729x803
>>48005582

This sheet has a place to record your die rolls, but you'll have to roll die manually and record your items, aptitudes, skills, etc. on an actual character sheet or elsewhere.
>>
File: worlds.png (487 KB, 1387x843) Image search: [Google]
worlds.png
487 KB, 1387x843
>>48005582

It does have all of the sourebooks backgrounds, homeworlds and roles though.
>>
I've noticed that bipods/tripods are available for basic weapons, but provide no mechanical advantage at all.
Since bipods are mainly found on sniper rifles and lmgs, what do you think of the following:
>Bracing reduces the penalty for firing a basic weapon at extreme range by 10 (for a result of -20)
>Bracing also reduces the penalty for using suppressive fire by 10 (for a result of -10)

Or if we want something a bit more effective:
>Bracing reduces the penalty for firing a basic weapon at long and extreme ranges by 10 (for a result of +0 and -20, respectively)
>Bracing also reduces the penalty for using suppressive fire or full auto burst by 10 (for a result of +0 and -10 respectively).

Yay or nay?

>>48005569
Looks great, I'll download it when I'm home.
>>
>>48005569
Very nice!
Could you please upload PERSONAL.XLSB as well, as there are some macros missing?
Or just include the macros in the excel file?
Or just post them here and I'll paste them in.
>>
File: Wh40k-emperor.jpg (316 KB, 1220x1120) Image search: [Google]
Wh40k-emperor.jpg
316 KB, 1220x1120
>>48007052

Yeah I screwed up the Home World assignment macros, all the others should be fine and in the excel file itself.

Here's an updated one with the homworld macro fixed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/89d9cfifidhd04q/PrismaticFire%20DH%202e%20Character%20Creator%20v0.9.9.3.xlsm?dl=0
>>
>>48007540
Who are those on the right?
I don't recall ever reading about something like an SoB detachment for Emp's bodyguards.
>>
>>48007568
Sisters of Silence as I recall?
>>
>>48007672
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>47995735
Just tape the holy bits to the shield generator. Think of it as a Baneblade-sized rosarius.
>>
>>48008442
Well, yes, that is the idea.

Characteristic Modifiers: +3 Fellowship, +9 Willpower, -3 Weapon Skill
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed) +20(?), Linguistics (Low Gothic), Operate (Surface)
Starting Talents: Hatred (Heretics) OR Hatred (Mutants) OR Hatred (Psykers), Technical Knock, Unshakeable Faith

Standard Kit: 1 laspistol +2 charge packs (Main Weapon), 1 flak vest, 1 knife, 2 weeks rations, 1 anointed maintenance toolkit, 1 reliquary, 1 best-quality power field (Vehicle), 1 Baneblade per squad

Fluency (High Gothic)
Virtuous Ignorance
Armor of Faith
Honor Bound
Normal Wounds

Shrine, Supine, Super Heavy Armor, Defenders of the Faith, Reliquary, Honor Bound

Slight weirdness with the rules, technically every member of the regiment has a best-quality power field meant for vehicles/emplacements.
>>
Hey /tg/,

Just need the answer to a quick lore question for my Black Crusade game. What would be the typical composition of an Imperial Navy battlegroup charged with patrolling the outermost systems of a Sector on the edge of Imperial space?

I'm thinking 1 Cruiser, 1 Light Cruiser, 2 frigates, 2 destroyers, with a Commodore in overall command. Does that seem about right?
>>
Do any of you know where I could get pdfs of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3e and 2e)? Is this the right thread to ask, or should I go to wfb general?
>>
>>48008903
You'll have a higher chance of success with the other thread.
>>
>>48008528
>technically every member of the regiment has a best-quality power field meant for vehicles/emplacements
For extra grimderp, make it actually so due to some clerical error.
>>
>>48008759
That depends on the sector. I suppose a group in the Segmentum Pacificus that has only to destroy the occasional smuggler trying to reach the Halo stars would be very different from one patrolling a sector where tyranids and chaos marines regularly visit.
IIRC, some patrol fleets are composed only of one cruiser/light cruiser and a pair of escorts.

Also, it depends on how you want to use it. Single encounter, recurring enemy, nemesis,...

Yours looks good, but I dunno if a patrol fleet would really use destroyers. Frigates are more suited for those kind of duties, and you're gonna call the two cruisers if some big fish appreas anyways.
>>
>>47998834
Really, it depends on the execution. Nothing awful on the concepts for now. Nothing outstanding either, but those a one line descriptions.

Beware with rivals, my group tends to kill opponents if given the chance, because they know that not doing so is just asking for them to level up before the next encounter. And if not given the chance they might be frustrated unless you've planed your escape routes very carefully.
If you use rivals in anything else than combat encounters, you risk getting them killed by the players.
If you use them only in combat, you got more control but it prevents much character devellopment.

Making them able to occasionally work towards a common goal may help.

On the other hand, your players may be different.
>>
>>48011071
Oh, I planned for them to work towards common goals if shit goes down, such as an Ork WAAAAGH starting up, they'll suck it up and help the party, kinda like Desperate Allies.
>>
>>48012017
Sounds good.
>>
>>48004142
Everything that you have preferably, where did you get them from / could you get us a Mega or mediafire link?

Thank you for your time glorious Anon of the Token
>>
>>48005410
Meh, they fall into line once you start krumping.
>>
In your opinion, what is the most undervalued skill of the second wave of the line?
>>
>>48017926
Awareness.
>>
I'm making a minigun for an Only War game, and I'm not sure what sort of qualities to give it. Should I use Spray, Storm, or Twin linked? Or maybe some combination thereof? I like the idea of giving it Inaccurate, Storm, and Twin Linked; is there a good reason to not go that route?
>>
>>48020598
Dude it's essentially just a autocannon, make it a scaled down one for guardsmen.
Like how heavy stubbers are browning .50s but made waaaay better due to it being 40,000 years in the future and all that.
You just have to put it in perspective how well technology might've optimized it as a weapon.
>>
>>48020598
Ok, more insanity: if I make it with the Storm and Twin Linked qualities and put tracer rounds in the thing, I can get 3 hits for one DoS, 6 for 2 DoS, and 9 for 3 Dos. Assuming I'm using this in a Full Auto Burst, the net bonus is +10. If I'm doing my math right,and given a base BS of 35, I'll be getting 2 DoS around a third of the time on average. Thoughts?
>>
>>48020598
You mean besides the mutli-laser?
>>
>>48021268
Oh, and the assault cannon. Forgot about that.
>>
>>48020967
Where is the fun in that? The special qualities are there to be used, m8.
>Like how heavy stubbers are browning .50s but made waaaay better due to it being 40,000 years in the future and all that.
I wish I could find the survival rates for being hit with a .50 bmg, 'cause the 20% chance of death for an NPC and 0% (RAW with crit and such) for a PC leaves me unimpressed. Those are of course assuming one shot, 10 wounds, TB of 3 and no armor. Of course, the worst a PC would get is losing 1 Intelligence point. There are some other effects, but they require further effort to take advantage of. Death is only really only likely when the PC target is Helpless. Even then, you'd only have around a 15% chance of death.

Of course, I could be wrong, I am bad at math.
>>
>>48020598
Twin-Linked should be reserved for weapons that are actually two synched barrels, not just firing fast.
>>
File: Duetak630m2[1].jpg (33 KB, 589x456) Image search: [Google]
Duetak630m2[1].jpg
33 KB, 589x456
>>48021434
>>
>>48021434
Well, I suppose I could double or triple up on Storm instead. In any case, I see no particular need to be restricted by fluff of the quality, if it gets me what I want mechanically. Which is lots of bullets and lots of hits.
>>
>>48007540
MEGA guy here. I'll throw it in the Homebrew megafolder.
>>
>>48021831
keep us updated on revisions as well.
>>
File: tumblr_mwqahaR91Q1rh2tw8o1_400.gif (891 KB, 325x252) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwqahaR91Q1rh2tw8o1_400.gif
891 KB, 325x252
>playing an arbitor
>new player, IG SGT, doesnt obey a command and back talks me
>GM wont let me shoot this goddamn heretic in the face
>>
>>48021928
Arbitrators and Imperial Guard have separate chains of command. That's part of why the Imperium is such a bureaucratic clusterfuck. Could you give us more context?

I relate to the GM not letting you shoot the guy though. I hate games like that. If you can't adapt to your players throwing you a curveball out of RP then you're not doing a great job IMO.
>>
>>48021928
>>48022903
Personally, I prefer when everyone makes a concerted effort to not tear the group apart over not getting their way. Difficult to justify, sometimes, but worth it.
>>
>>47995281
This makes me wonder: how do you run a game about a tank crew and keep it mechanically interesting.
>>
>>48021928
your characters have completely different authority figures, its literally a detective having authority of some one in the air force, or a mall cop having authority over over a night club bouncer. you two are so far apart its not funny, if anything the sargent has authority over you, the imperial guard has the authority to kill worlds, the arbitrators stop crime lords and make sure planets pay their tithe, also when they dont pay there tithe the inquisition of imperial guard steps in.
you need to chill as a character and a player, be clever about how you want to deal with him, if he has to die, bring it up with your inquisitor
>>
>>48023251
It's pretty simple - take away their tank every once in a while, or have someone try to board it.

It might even happen on it's own regardless without you forcing it - say if they get surrounded or the tank is disabled but not completely destroyed. The only issue is OW's rules on repair times are ridiculously long unless you're lucky or very skilled.
>>
>>48021388
One is rarely hit only once by a heavy stubber. You cannot fire it on anything other than full auto.
>>
>>48023456
>Playing in a regiment where the party gets at least 1 vehicle
>Not having a techpriest
>>
>>48023251
You make sure everyone has something to do, usually by putting them in situations where normally aren't, or against things that get an the way despite you being a tank.

I'm playing a tanker in my OW game, being one of the gunners. We're five (plus comrades), filling out the interesting positions (commander, driver, main gunner and sponson gunner x2). That way, everybody gets to do something every round. It works pretty well for us. Ironically, the dude with least knowledge of the military is playing the sergeant. It works when we're not in combat, but especially tank combat gets a bit boring for him (give order, keep watch).

That, and remember to mix it up with non-vehicle combat. Enemies that climb onto the tank must be fought in personal combat. Buildings need to be liberated in which tanks won't fit. Tanks take forever to fix and get pretty busted up against other vehicles. A fancy dinner turns into an assassination attempt on the general, and you're in parade uniform. Daemons. Subtlety. Either of these work as excuses.
>>
In DH2e, what happens if you take an elite advance and already have one of the aptitudes it gives you? Can you replace it with another one, like in character creation?
>>
>>48023200
Oh, for real, man, I get that too. I think I came off a little too strong. What I meant was a good GM should adapt in a way that turns conflict between two characters into RP rather than railroading the conflict out of existence, like the Frank Underwood poster implied. Like maybe they did come to blows over the shit the Frank Underwood poster said, but their inquisitor landed on them both like a ton of bricks over it? The guy seemed to be complaining that his GM was stonewalling their RP to keep the party together, when there might've been a better way to adapt to the conflict IC.

Equally, I feel you completely about the players themselves making the effort. I generally start fights in the party as an absolute last resort, even if realistically my character would be going apeshit long before that point. (Unless I'm playing Black Crusade. Then I'm an asshole.)
>>
>>48023608
No, as it is only during character creation.
>>
>>48023673
>Unless I'm playing Black Crusade. Then I'm an asshole.
Which is funny, because that's when I'd like other players to most buck up and not aim maximal plasma cannons at each other. In 'the spirit of not fucking yourself over the petty slights' kind of way.

Provided the game is about a band of human or astartes heretics who couldn't achieve their goals without each other, of course.
>>
>>48002877
Cross between fire selector and red dot sight.
Both are incredibly useful, and low key enough to not draw too much attention.
>>
So, putting the compact and forearm mounted mods on a stub automatic, could you fluff it as pulling a Travis Bickle?
>>
Has anyone here ever actually USED Trade (Scrimshaw) in a campaign? Not just taken it, actually used it?

At least in 1E you could use Trade skills to make some Thrones on the side if your GM wasn't a shitboot.
>>
File: artillery sound suppressor.jpg (20 KB, 486x409) Image search: [Google]
artillery sound suppressor.jpg
20 KB, 486x409
>>48023591
>Enemies that climb onto the tank must be fought in personal combat. Buildings need to be liberated in which tanks won't fit. Tanks take forever to fix and get pretty busted up against other vehicles. A fancy dinner turns into an assassination attempt on the general, and you're in parade uniform. Daemons. Subtlety. Either of these work as excuses.

If your group is sufficiently lazy, paranoid, and savvy, most of these can be easily solved through proper vehicular combat doctrine. Yes, even subtlety.
>>
>>48021928
>Playing DH
>thinking you have that kind of authority of another member of the warband unless you were designated or elected section leader
>thinking your position as an arbitrator extends to the Inquisition
Stop being shit, anon, you are being That Guy.
>>
>>48024447
>CREEEEEEEEEEED
>>
>>48024327
>Fire selector
>Not too much attention
Pre-2e fire selectors stuff 3 magazines in one weapon

>>48024412
What does he have to do with those weapon mods on that gun?
>>
>>48023673
Well, that depends, anon.
I recently deepsixed another pc once it became known to use he was a heretek, and it was explained by the savant what that entailed.
I actually sent the rest of the party away to "rest", spoke to him one on one. Shit, I even gave him a chance to do right, apologize to the warband and repent his misdeeds, because no one save Horus is without redemption, y'know?
The heretek preferred to cling to self righteousness, believing even to the end that he was "right". So I choked him the fuck out, tied him up, and gave him to the Admech with a goddamn bow on top. Got us 2 pips of influence, 1 for turning in a heretek, 1 for respecting the lines of command and forging better links between our inquisitor and the local forges.
>>
>>48024566
That dinky Colt he bolted to a drawer slide then strapped to his arm.
>>
>>48024566
Not in 2e, son.
>>
File: 1462981333914.gif (940 KB, 627x502) Image search: [Google]
1462981333914.gif
940 KB, 627x502
So a friend is going to be starting an Only War game here soon, which has led me to tossing around some ideas of games of my own.

Thinking of running a one-off, to get my feet wet, based around a tank crew encountering a vehicle similar to the sentient, demonic tank from that Gaunt's Ghosts novel Traitor General. The idea is they get sent with some support vehicles and a chimera to support a small village/town that's been harassed, and get stalked by the vehicle on the way there - it hits and runs, popping off the support vehicles one by one before disappearing into the woods, before eventually being (hopefully) flushed out by my players. I intend to play on how animal-like it is, how it behaves like a living creature, etc, in order to drive home how fucking disconcerting it is for a tank to be alive.

Does that sound entertaining at all? Oh, and any ideas how to stat the tank? The stats available in Only War are sufficient, but I'm still new to the system and I want to get it just right, and add some flavor.
>>
>>48024675
You mean a daemon engine? Look in black crusade and the chaos vehicles section of OW core.
>>
>>48024524
You don't even need Creed magic. According to Abnett, Destroyers are already quite sneaky on their own once they've had the time to go hull-down in the right environment.
>>
>>48024436
Not a player in this context, but I'm about to start an Only War game and our Operator has taken a shitload of trade skills that I plan on giving him ample opportunity to use.
>>
>>48024436
You're in the Guard. You do a nice inscription for someone and get paid in contraband booze, lho-sticks or other valuable. Then you trade that for the stuff you really want from some other dude who really, REALLY needs a smoke.
>>
In Only War, if your buddy dies and you get a replacement, do you lose the buddy advancements/manuevers you've bought or is it assumed the FNG picks upon things reasonably quick? Also, if your main dies can you keep the same character sheet but play the buddy instead?
>>
>>48025601
Comrades advances are usually linked to the character, not the comrade.
Also hammer of the Emprah says
>If the original Comrade for whom the character purchased this Talent perishes, its effects can be applied to another Comrade (be that a new Comrade or a current one) when the character has a chance to request reinforcements and observe a suitable period of mourning.
I'd expend that to all comrade related things.

>Also, if your main dies can you keep the same character sheet but play the buddy instead?
Ask your GM. I see no reason why not.
Personally I'd allow to play the comrade and keep the xp, but reroll for stats since characters from the same regiment and in the same role usually already have similar enough characteristics.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1032x1496) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1032x1496
Make a regiment for me.
>>
>>48022903
>>48024520

no commissar, no inquistitors nearby
i was leading a patched together recon team to a dark eldar ship with my best bud, one of the ships astropaths

was i in the right, probably not. still bugged me since the GM never explained it.
just said "no dont kill Players"
the twat had just come into the campaign, not like IG are in short supply
>>
>>48026941
What authority are you acting under then?
>>
File: Custodian-FW-PDD_392px.png (131 KB, 311x392) Image search: [Google]
Custodian-FW-PDD_392px.png
131 KB, 311x392
Hey Im running a RT game and Im going to do a twist where the crew find a lone tau sept and I was wondering just how big a tau sept actually gets? Like I know the tau empire is very small compared to the imperium as a whole but are the septs on par with sectors, subsectors or just like a single system when it comes to size?
>>
>>48023514
While true, I don't see this as particularly relevant. Anon compared them to a browning 50 cal, I would expect them to be more impressive on a shot for shot basis. The heavy stubber can't even reliably remove limbs, though I suppose reality may be unrealistic in that regard with respect to the browning.
>>
>>48027484
I'm pretty sure one of the older codexes literally just had an M60 picture for the heavy stubber, and a 1911 for the stub auto
>>
>>48027519
Now see, THAT comparison, I'm okay with. It makes more sense to me for the Heavy stubbers to be m1919s or m60s or other things like that. But then you have people going on about lasguns being equal to 50bmg and other stuff that seems so silly. I'm really trying too hard to make it all make sense with my perceptions of reality. I need to remember that 40k doesn't make sense.
>>
>>48027270
I've always seen them as a single system (named after the main colony). Fluff from the first Tau codex seemed to imply so. Like Vior'la "orbiting a twin sun".
A sept is an established colony, though. A planet with big cities (for the Tau), administrative centers and production facilities.
Smaller colonies or systems without much population aren't called a Sept.

I don't know much about Tau interplanetary organisation. You could have a vast area of space being affected to each Sept, or some governmental agency in charge of space exploration and only giving colonies Independence when they're completely self-sufficient, creating a Sept.

Tl; dr: One Sept = One civilized planet. The rest is left to your appreciation.

>>48026198
Well, aren't you an entitled one?
>>
What's the best system to use for a game based around Adeptus Arbites being notDredds?
>>
>>48028742
DH2e with a splash of Book of Judgment.
A question for Shas and the rest of you lot that have broke down the system a little better: how do you determine the worth of reinforcement characters? I have a mind to make a few, and I want to balance out their numbers with their influence cost.
>>
>>48028843
Honestly? Wing it and tweak it till it feels right. The existing ones feel dramatically overcosted for me and not worth paying, so I tweak them down. Of course, I'm probably more conservative with Influence upgrades than the book assumes, and I have a small group, which distorts things.
>>
>>48028894
>than the book assumes
Influence gains are hard enough to gain as is.
You make it harder?
>>
>>48020598

You can use the Rotor cannon, it's a manportable minigun.
>>
Rolled 5, 7, 5, 3, 10, 4, 8, 5, 2, 1, 6, 2, 1, 1, 5 = 65 (15d10)

>>48028894
Ahg, I was hoping someone had broken down the system a little bit to see if there was some manner of rhyme or reason to it, rather than gut feeling.
>>
>>48030148
What book is that in? I'm away from my main computer and it didn't show up on the 40krpgtools website.
>>
>>48030671

its in the homebrew megafolder, one of the fringe books. It's an early prototype of the assault cannon, slightly more powerful than a heavy stubber. It is literally a minigun, however, which is what was asked for.
>>
>>48030706
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll go with my own homebrew. I looked at the rotor cannon and it seemed kinda 'eh'. I prefer my Storm and Twin Linked combo >>48021093
, even if it would waste tremendous amounts
>>
File: 1462136450421.jpg (448 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462136450421.jpg
448 KB, 1920x1080
I really like the idea of Deathwatch, especially since I bought the board game. Reading the GM section of the book it suggests a lot of stuff other than Cleanse and Purge missions, and I'm wondering if any anon who has played DW has successfully done anything other than full dungeon crawl? I'm not adverse to the idea, I love good old fashioned crunch and slaughter fests, I just want to know so I can plan appropriately for the game.

Second, I remember reading in the Armageddon campaign books about how during the war the chapters involved took their best Xeno killers and made them into one Deathwatch kill team. Does this happen in canon when there are no Watch Fortresses around, or whenever there needs to be an ad hoc team from multiple chapters to fight Xenos?
>>
>>48031635

There's a few of us who run it more along the lines of RT, where you give them a ship, like a vanguard cruiser or so, and let them pick out missions like xenos assassination, crusade diplomacy, relic exploration, alongside general combat. I got the idea from reading Shas's games, and having run this method for a month now, it works kind of well.
>>
>>48027812
I meant it more as a half-joke, to see what other people would come up with. I did actually come up with one myself, somewhat homebrewing something per how the game manual says I can.

Name: 15th Augustan Assault Venators
Homeworld: Fortress World
Commanding Officer: Choleric

Regiment Type: Assault Infantry (Homebrew)
Cost: 6 points
Characteristics: +3 Toughness, +3 Weapon Skill, –3 Intelligence
Starting Skills: Parry, Dodge
Starting Talents: Lightning Reflexes
Standard Kit: One Gladius-pattern lasgun with bayonet attachment and six charge packs (Main Weapon), one Gladius-pattern chainsword, one Good Craftsmanship shield, one set of Best Craftsmanship flak armour, two frag grenades, one gasmask, one entrenching tool

Training Doctrine: Close-Quarters Specialists (Homebrew)
Cost: 3 points
Starting Talent: Double Team or Combat Master
Standard Regimental Kit: The regiment can apply the mono upgrade to its standard melee weapon.

Special Weapons:
Gladius-Pattern Lasgun
Modifications: High-Impact, Piercing, Rapid Clip Ejection, Small Clip, Rare Model

Gladius-Pattern Chainsword
Venerable Design, Symbols of Duty, Rare Model
>>
So guys, I have good in character reason to be trying to obtain the following items in DH2e
>fusion battery
>small chunk of adamantium (enough for a weapon hilt, idk mass of it in-setting but something no bigger than say 50 cubic inches (eg a chunk approx 3x3x5 should be enough easily)
>plans for an extremely rare piece of technology, or at least something close enough so I can approximate it

My current ideas include
>suck some major Ad-Mech dick and hope they'll eventually give me what I want
>suck some major Ad-Mech dick until I can steal what I need
>suck some major Ad-Mech dick for a good lead to something I can use
>investigate archaeotech dig sites from the planet and pray for the Emperor's guidance
>investigate archaeotech tithes and pray I can make some stuff get "lost"
>salvage something useful from cultists/bandits/heretics/other when we investigate them

As you can see, most of my options involve sucking Ad-Mech dick and/or pissing them off in the end. Any other good ideas?

Things to Note: We are essentially stuck planetside. The planet has multiple continents but is mostly desert (with some frozen bits). The planet is pretty much three competing planet types (Frontier, mostly digging for archaeotech; Forge, mostly making shit and trying to get archaeotech; Hive, mostly mining and just being a hive) because of different discoveries at different times making factions all argue about which is more important to turn the world into. BUT, I may be able to work out some sort of deliveries from off-planet provided I'm patient enough in-game (which my character certainly is, but depending on missions that could create complications).
>>
>>48035471

Isotropic fuel rods are in DH1 inquisitor's handbook. Cheap too. They can help you with the power problem.
>>
>>48035471
I don't see a question here. Is your GM saying no? Also, what is this "good in character reason" that justifies you getting a chunk of adamantium and holy blueprints?
>>
>>48035392
>six charge packs
I say, good sir! The Munitorum and Imperial Guard waste neither charge packs nor lasgun fire in such a frivolous manner! If every guardsman were to have such exorbitant stores of Imperial Vengeance, than he would be wont to waste them upon the first contact with the enemy! The pious regiments of He-On-Terra's Holy Imperial Guard are built upon discipline of fire, not vulgar displays of spectacular gun-gluttony! I demand that your men rach surrender two charge packs to the care of the Munitorum's armouries!

not bad, I like it.
>>
How do you guys play this with each other? Noob here.
>>
>>48035862
Well, in the OP, there is a link to a Mega folder with most if not all of the rules to play the games we're discussing. My suggestion is to download one that seems most interesting, read the rules, and come back if you have more questions. It is also possible you might find someone to show you the ropes in an online game, but I wouldn't hang your hopes on that.
>>
>>48023536
For the record, by 'very skilled' I meant a character or NPC specifically for that.
>>
>>48035656
Nope, need something very compact. I have information from my mentor in a homebrew subfaction of the Astra Telepathica that his weapon used a fusion cell battery. I don't think the isotropic fuel rods are small enough.

>>48035675
Information from aforementioned mentor. Adamantium was used in his weapon to handle the sheer amount of heat the weapon put out, and the holy blueprints because it's going to be nigh impossible to find another of the weapon so I'll have to make it myself based on knowledge gained from similar gear.

The GM is not saying no to anything, in fact he's the one that provided me the information with these. I specifically used one of my chargen requisition points to get the information on my mentor's weapon and all I know for sure is what it looked like, what type of weapon it was, that the hilt was made of adamantium to handle the heat, and that it was powered by a fusion cell battery.
>>
>>48036034
You're making that damn bladeless power sword, aren't you, anon?
>>
>>48036101
The solex energy blade.
>>
>>48036101
>>48036113
Sorta but not really.

I'm essentially making a lightsaber, I'm not even entirely sure what the stats will be by the end of this. The sollex-aegis energy blade was something that came up during brainstorming this and the character who'll be wielding it though, and the info I provided is the info I have in and out of character for the ongoing development project now. Essentially, I know what I wanted, and I know the things we found during brainstorming, but I don't know what the GM is actually going to give me as the result.
>>
>>48036163
Are you playing a psyker?
>>
>>48036101
>>48036113
>>48036163
Though blueprints for the saeb (or any other weapon similar to a lightsaber) would most likely go a long way towards helping me craft the weapon in-game. I don't know much about it in character though so it will all depend in-game lore and inquiry checks (and perhaps other checks).

>>48036189
Yes.
>inb4 warpspeed suggestion
Houserules state I can have the first power of any psyker branch but I can only choose one branch to have in general, I choose Sanctic because I intended to build a defensive parry focused support character. Plus it's kind of a good line to follow for getting somewhat special treatment since due to flavor and mechanic ideals I wound up with a rogue psyker who purchased sanctioning via chargen xp (houseruled solution).

And yes, I have Impel...
>>
>>48036276
Why not just get a force sword then?
>>
>>48036276
people playing psykers always want to play Jedi or wizards. As long as you don't go full retard with it, it should be fine. The fact that you're willing to have your character do the footwork to get the parts, and not just roll absurd Acquisition for it at the start of every session, tells me you're being smart about it.
>>
>>48036312
Partly the principal of the thing, partly the compact (and thus easily hidden) nature of a lightsaber.

I won't be turning my nose up to a force sword if I find one though. Character is very sword/blade focused afterall. Feudal world, Hrax specifically, and the homebrew order also has some rules about not using firearms (or any weapon besides a blade for that matter) for worthy or significant foes. Basically, I can kill mooks with guns but it's not exactly smiled upon, but anything bigger than a mook needs to die by the blade.

>>48036340
There has been a LOT of planning put into this character. He's an old disillusioned Naval NCO, was prized on ships for defending breaches (mechanics wise this means PARRY ALL THE THINGS), and some warp shenanigans fucked with him and made him a psyker. He views the powers as the full on trinity... A gift, a test, and a curse. The homebrew order is essentially Jedi Order Mark 2, and even uses the Code (swapping Force with Emperor). I hope to be sticking as close to Jedi flavor as I can within setting limits. I also felt that forging the weapon myself would make it more significant in-character regardless of Jedi correlation. Pity I can't craft the power source myself though.
>>
>>48036464
To be fair, Jedi don't hand-craft the power sources either. Might I suggest, as a fluff thing, that once you get all the parts and build it, do the closest thing you can to Jedi using the Force to fuse the parts shut and light it in warpfire very briefly. Not an actual attack, just ask your GM for a simple psy test. Its how I justified making the one psyker I ever played's eyes glow/burn with warpfire in interrogations to assist Intimidate tests.

As an aside, more psyker players should try that. Combine it with a voice modulator for that "Voice of the Legion" sound, and you might not even need to break out the Excruciator.
>>
>>48036589
I thought they meditated on the Force and guided the crystal growth or something though? Maybe I'm thinking of something else though.

That is a cool idea about the warpfire though. And I do have the Impel minor power as well so I could presumably use that as justification for the fire as well. Between Impel and Ignite I might be able to justify a sort of extended psy test ritual thing.
>>
File: Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg (183 KB, 1424x579) Image search: [Google]
Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg
183 KB, 1424x579
>>48037058
The crystal itself isn't the power source. The only crystals that require tending are the synthetics the Sith used, as well as the NJO after the Empire razed most of the sources.

Stupid question, is sanctioning required to gain access to Sanctic?
>>
>>48037143
To answer your question, as far as I can tell no it isn't. However I wasn't about to be a rogue psyker in a DH game, especially considering we have a SoB in the warband... Well, and also an Arbitrator who joined the same session my Jedi 2.0 joined.
>>
>>48037143
>>48037536
>To answer your question, as far as I can tell no it isn't.
It is referred to as specifically a discipline taught by the Astra Telepathica, so I wouldn't allow a rogue psyker to access it without damned good reason, personallly.
>>
File: 350px-Color_Wheel.jpg (59 KB, 350x351) Image search: [Google]
350px-Color_Wheel.jpg
59 KB, 350x351
>>48037595
Hmm... you're right. Though that might have been forgotten in my game considering how the GM is flavoring discipline specialties. He flavored it as if we would show a talent for a specific tree or something like that. Kind of why my backstory wound up having some minor elements of special treatment because I was shown to have a talent for a rare and highly useful discipline.

Basically, I was going to have my backstory flavored more as I quested to holy Terra looking for guidance after emerging as a rogue psyker. Once there I'd have met someone from the Knights of the Golden Throne (Jedi40k homebrew subfaction) who had some precog abilities or something of that nature and realized I would be there. I would have been brought into the order and (depending on whether I went full rogue or not) either kept secret as a rogue psyker or sanctioned after much groveling and favor owing. Speaking with the GM he leaned towards the opinion that I wouldn't need much groveling and ruled that I can buy the Sanctioned trait with some xp. The price he gave me was "because of your talent towards a rare tree and because of your connection to the KotGT". He also used the Sanctic talent as justification for approving my request for Forbidden Lore: Demonology in chargen.

It seems that the way it's been flavored here is that psykers emerge with a specific "aura type" or something to that nature, restricting their discipline choice from emergence. Though noone's really had the opportunity to RP through a developing psyker (sanctioned or not) yet so this may just be how I'm interpreting the scraps of explanations I've had so far and mixing it with personal ideas/beliefs/other stories.

Pic somewhat related, though I stopped playing years ago.
>>
>>48011071
I intro'd the BBEG rival, really meant to be a silly and recurring team rocket reference.

After a minute of half asses banter, they blew his head off in the middle of a warehouse full of his lackeys. Keep in mind I never did something like this before, this was just off the top of their murderhoboing heads.
A rival WILL die if exposed to party weapons somehow.
>>
I don't care for aptitudes.

They are dumb.
>>
>>48038074
They're better than classes though.
>>
>>48038080
I would not necessarily agree.

>I want to play a melee class
>okay here's half the aptitudes you need to not be a total fuck up, enjoy your XP tax on the rest

vs.

>I want to be a melee guy
>okay, the assassin class: they get literally every melee talent sooner or later
>Also a bunch of other support talents and stuff.

I do not fully agree with you.
>>
>>48038105
Class based systems I've played with have a tendency to be too restrictive.
Player
>What if I want some things Class A has and some things Class B has?
GM
>Well, no class has both of those, so you're fucked.

The only system I've found that doesn't suffer as much from that is D&D3.5/PF simply because CONTENT OVERLOAD gotta find some way to part nerds from their money And even with D&D3.5/PF you still have the drawbacks of being a class based system. No matter how much you're willing to give, you can't pick and choose the things you want to do. Prerequisites are understandable and all, but when you need 10 levels in a class to get the one ability you want from it there's no fucking point.

From a vidya perspective, I've always been a diehard Final Fantasy fan (though the last few core games have been disappointments). FF12's advancement system was the best thing in the world for me. Characters started with some abilities on a grid, and could only buy things that were joined to stuff they already had. I find a cool spear I want someone to use but they've never held a spear before? No problem, their current weapon tree is adjacent to the one I want. Sure, certain characters had certain preferred builds based on their statline and what they started with but theoretically you could buy every ability in the game eventually.

Same thing with aptitudes, sure some things will cost more, but you can theoretically still buy everything eventually (with the exception of opposing stuff like psyker and untouchable).
>>
>>48038228
Really the XP tax boogeyman is a bit overblown in my experience. Maybe because our sessions aren't ultra-long and thus it doesn't seem to take too much time to afford even shit I have zero aptitudes for.
>>
I'm planning on GM'ing a Dark Heresy 2nd Edition game for a bunch of people who have completely zero experience with WH40k.

Any tips/ideas or modules to ease them into it and make it not completely full on at the beginning. I've played DnD with them so they might not be a big fan of the fact that there are much more constrained in what they can do (ie. no thats heresy).
>>
>>48038255
A lot of it also depends on your GM's xp reward style and how long things take in-game. I mean if you're looking at long-term deep cover missions and the like and a GM that's stingy with xp, some high priced stuff soon looks impossible to get (in and out of character lol). But if you're in a rapid pace game or something character growth in-game becomes more rapid. And if your GM is generous with xp that also helps.

My GM started off kinda stingy with xp, but we were all feeling the slow growth torture. Most of the group had just come from playing Werewolf the Forsaken, and a couple in the group (myself included) had more experience playing d20/D&D style systems than most other games. Because we were conflicted with our xp purchases (often choosing immediate mechanical benefit over flavor or long-term investment despite our desire for the latter two) the GM practically doubled the amount of xp we were getting per session. Now we all grow at a pretty decent pace, allowing for both flavor purchases and mechanical purchases, and particularly allowing us to not suck in the present while we prepare for something in the future. It's a good balance we have right now.

Hell, at first less than half the party spoke the native language of the planet we were on. We had Low Gothic sure, but not speaking the local language is kinda suck for an investigative game. But because of how precious xp was instead of buying the language the less talky ones of the group just went "well, they can do the talking, I'll do the hitting" and that's how it went for a while.

GM also implemented a 25% xp discount towards buying something for having someone in the party tutor/teach you that particular thing.
>>
>>48037989
For Chaos baddies I have them burn infamy just like the players in BC can. So they come back wounded and disgraced and burning for revenge on the PC.
>>
>>48038255
>Prepare for a big fight because your dumbass taunted the DE BBEG for a sword fight
>Can't have ALL my melee talents
>Why the fuck does Assassin strike take Fieldcraft and not like, Defense or something?
>parry is only at +10 because lol RTs don't get Defense Apt anyway

I'm feelin' it.
>>
>>48038420
Thing is, that same situation seemed to come up a lot in the games where we had classes too, except instead of not being able to afford something because of aptitudes, it was not being able to purchase them at all because you weren't at the proper Rank yet.
>>
>>48038368
Actually, I would recommend something custom designed if you're up to the task. You can build the game around certain ideas and either restrict them with reasonable setting limits (instead of the blanket "everything is heresy") or you can design a game that is very hard for them to run afoul of anyone who will care about them being slightly heretical.

One example from a comrade at my game is an old game he played that was feral world only and all the players weren't really even familiar with the Imperium as a whole at first. Hell, their first encounter with the Imperium was watching a bunch of them soldiers with a cult, and they proceeded to watch since they weren't friends with either funny looking group, both of which were shouting in odd languages. Eventually they joined the Imperium's side because they were getting utterly slaughtered and the only reasoning was to try to make it an even fight at least. They didn't even get to talk to the imperium soldiers because they all died, including the leader, who bled out on the field.

Needless to say, with or without direct imperium influence, worlds on the edge of the empire have a tendency to turn a blind eye to many heresies, if they even consider them heresy at all.

You could flat out build a game with a renegade Inquisitor recruiting them too, and let them stumble into the universe's reactions to "minor heresies" working their way from the outskirts of the empire and then deeper.
>>
>>48038420
This >>48038458

Also, seriously, you're the dumbass that goaded the BBEG into a swordfight. Hopefully your GM will show mercy and have the BBEG hold back and simply play with you then get distracted and wander off. Hell, that actually happened in our game, and if it weren't for the BBEG at the time being a damned psycker the character and the BBEG would have been about evenly matched in melee capabilities. Wound up that the PC fled and tried to change the field of battle so he could gain some advantage but then things happened and the fight didn't start again because tangents everywhere.
>>
File: paraxis8.png (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
paraxis8.png
1 MB, 1024x1024
>>48038472

I was planning on making a region on a frontier world desert planet (pic related, map I've drawn up of a combat zone.) where the Imperial Guard are trying to suppress a heresy-driven mining worker uprising. That should make the game fairly combat heavy and let them commit all kinds of shit during a chaotic environment that won't come back and bite them later.

I'm not sure how to work in some investigation/social stuff though.
>>
>>48038566
Infiltrate the miners and find their leader before all hell breaks loose?
>>
>>48038420
>RT
>Aptitude
You using that Only Rogue War Trader conversion that hovered around some time back?
>>
>>48039250
>not calling it WORT for lulz

Such a missed opportunity.
>>
>>48038401
A GM can only do this once, in my experience.
Afterwards, the players will pump the bad guy full of bullet holes, cut it into small bits, keep some of the bits as trophies just in case, and incinerate the rest.

In the last Star Wars game we've run, after being exposed to a regenerating trandoshan, we've decapited every major enemy with a plasma cutter, and dumped the remnants in hyperspace.
The only exception being Vader. We ran like hell, collapsed the building on his head, and didn't look back.
Established characters are great to make players understand when fighting isn't a good option.
>>
>>48038370
It's really depends on GM. Ours did some houseruling on that, so characters who can offer time to learn something, or having a teacher can spent less xp depending on how hard they try, and teacher can share some of his xp to help if he wants and skill/talent is suitable for it.
>>
>>48040435
That's pretty cool.
>>
File: techiess.png (2 MB, 785x559) Image search: [Google]
techiess.png
2 MB, 785x559
Why are tech-priests so damn cool?
>>
>>48041641
Because they installed active cooling systems to make sure their body temperature remains well below 30 C even when undergoing massive cogitative processor strain.
>>
What's the point of common lore anymore in 2e? Used to be that anyone could roll it because it was a basic skill, but in 2e they changed that and now you can't roll on it anymore. Scholastic lore, which covers more information and includes basically everything from Common lore pretty much makes it useless.

So why ever take Common lore besides it being slightly cheaper than Scholastic lore?
>>
What's the point of common lore anymore in 2e? Used to be that anyone could roll it because it was a basic skill, but in 2e they changed that and now you can't roll on it anymore. Scholastic lore, which covers more information and includes basically everything from Common lore pretty much makes it useless.

So why ever take Common lore besides it being slightly cheaper than Scholastic lore?
>>
>>48041950
Character's background? Scholastic is better than Common, but requires more studying, time and effort. Outside of numbers in character sheet.
>>
>Artillery regiment
>1 mortar per 2 player characters
>No mention of any rounds for said mortars
>>
>>48042470
this is the Imperial Gard, anon.
You should use others gardsman as shells if need be.
>>
>>48042481
I'm pretty sure mortars are too small to fit a human or even a ratling in.
>>
>>48042470
>>48042481
An Artillery Regiment is how you tell the GM that you don't want any messy nasty combat in your Only War and would rather play fobbits, MASH, and basecamp drama.
>>
>>48042520
Depends heavily on the mortar.
>>
>>48039794
If the guy is favoured enough by Chaos, you can still have him come back, because the Gods aren't done with him.
>>
>>48020598
Just use the Multilas.
>>
>>48041950
Common Lore has always been an Advanced Skill, at least according to DH1e CRB. Where do you see it as a Basic Skill?
>>
File: 1462163098577.jpg (466 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462163098577.jpg
466 KB, 1920x1080
What books have stats on Genestealer cultists and other non-standard Tyranid threats outside of corebooks? All the corebooks have have Stealers, Gaunts and a Tyrant, but I need the more exotic stuff for Deathwatch games.
>>
>>48046354
Deathwatch has the Jericho Reach and Mark of the Xenos. Gives the majority of the heavier Nid enemies, but not sure on cultists...
>>
File: 1462150737723.jpg (252 KB, 486x700) Image search: [Google]
1462150737723.jpg
252 KB, 486x700
>>48046448
Thanks anon. Know of any other FFG books that have Tyranid info?
>>
>>48046481
The rest of the lines don't go into as much depth with Tyranid enemies like DW does.

As for your question on cultists, the closest you can get to that is an enemy from the Emperor Protects called the Infected Auran Warrior, which pretty much stand in for First-Generation 'stealers.
Anything else you'll need to brew yourself.
>>
>>48046717
Thanks. I'm thinking of using those or guardsmen/ganger profiles with mutations slapped on with the occasional telepathy psychic power thrown on.
>>
File: Genestealer Cults.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Genestealer Cults.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48046354
>>48046782
This homebrew PDF should be useful to you
>>
>>48048089
Appreciate it
>>
>>48046354
Final Sanction has a Rebels profile that they use as the tainted members of the Avalos population.
>>
>>48048089
>dark reign
RIP
>>
File: hero of the imperium.jpg (23 KB, 180x174) Image search: [Google]
hero of the imperium.jpg
23 KB, 180x174
>>48042534
And for the GM, it's a convenient reason to turn the regiment into the 12th Valhallan Field Artillery.
>>
>>47991518
All ork DH party.
Instead of investigating shit for the inquisition, you are on orders from the warboss. His lucky stick is missing and he believes someone has stolen it. After trudging your way through all sorts of shit and discovering a distinctly un-orky conspiracy by some Eldar to launder teef, run arms and destabilize shit to hopefully destroy the current warboss, you come back to find that the lucky stick had merely been wedged between his asscheeks the whole time, he'd misplaced it and doesn't give a shit about your mystery team. So then you decide to kill him because orks and because players.
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.