[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 40 keks.jpg (416 KB, 1560x1059) Image search: [Google]
40 keks.jpg
416 KB, 1560x1059
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread: >>47834509
>>
>>47908761
> be big bad of anon's upcoming campaign against tau/gue'vesa
> be hardened Imperial Guard colonel of as-yet indeterminate regiment
> be pulled into bloody slogging war against X or Y threat along the eastern front for decades
> be exposed to tau doctrine over time but disregard it because your armour is contempt etc
> invoke right of settlement at campaign's conclusion
> your officers are now the ruling class, your regiment is the PDF, you are the planetary governor of this recently reconquered world
> population traumatised, beleaguered, in desperate need of supplies
> you can't help them
> you've spent too long campaigning to sequester yourself in an ivory tower and ignore them
> something needs to be done
> your men are marrying into the local population, settling down, starting families, setting down roots and developing attachments
> they agitate for you to do something
> but the adeptus terra is not forthcoming with help -- the planet is reconquered and their work is done so long as your tithes keep coming
> planet is a high-grade agriworld
> administratum didn't anticipate the long-term damage to its output during the war
> you can't meet your tithes without your people suffering
> you risk rebellion from your men, the men you fought and bled with, the only family you have if you try
> would the emperor let this happen? what if the adeptus aren't just corrupt?
> the tau make you an offer you can't refuse
> you coordinate with other local planetary governors to launch a full-scale rebellion in anticipation of tau support
> PCs are dispatched to eliminate you

> X or Y threat along the Eastern Front

What did I fight, /tg/? Irony points say tau, but I figure the experience of fighting them would harden me against them. Was also thinking Tyranids but I don't think the IG stands much chance beating them.
>>
>>47909764
Followup question: How plausible is it for a conventional Imperial battlegroup to fend off a tyranid invasion without the planet being irreparably rekt?
>>
>>47909809
Very unlikely. Tyrannoforming causes toxic alien hellscapes. Now add in Imperial desperation with their usage of chemical, nuclear, biological and -worse- weapons against the Tyranids and you have a warzone almost inherently hostile to human life.
>>
>>47909764
My planet is war torn, better tear it up with another war?
>>
File: tumblr_li4x0z786W1qgxnelo1_500.jpg (57 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_li4x0z786W1qgxnelo1_500.jpg
57 KB, 500x640
>>47909764
> eastern front
> front

There is only one answer to this question
>>
>>47909966
Idea was he'd grown quite disillusioned after seeing firsthand how the Imperium struggles logistically to bring troops and resources to the front, compared to the neighbouring Tau who were just around the corner. Accepting their offer was probably hinged, however, around not understanding how slow Tau space travel is, so he expected their support to arrive in the rebellious system before the Imperium was on the scene and to have his world secure before they had a hope of landing troops there.

>>47909856
Probably rules out the tyranids, then. Cheers.
>>
>>47910155
>>47909856
Eh, if it could happen in Dawn of War 2, it should be possible.
>>
>>47910155
I'd suggest Orks, fighting them is brutal and can cause lasting damage, but not necessarily ecology destroying.
>>
>>47910243
The flamers you have to use after the battle, however...
>>
>>47910511
Implying recurring feral orks aren't just another plot hook for OK DM
>>
Which one would be the most "Soviet" of the Tau Sept for one characteristic or another?
>>
>>47911107
Vior'la are basically a slightly more tacticool version of the Red Army.
>>
Can you roll dodge for a spray weapon, after the initial agility test? System is Only War
>>
>>47911351
I've seen nothing that say you can't, so I think yes, you can.
>>
>>47911351
If you couldn't flamers would be terribly OP.
>>
>>47911390
>>47911443
cheers lads
>>
On a scale of 1 to 10, how fantastically dead-killy is an Eversor as statted in DH2? Could a single assassin challenge a party of 4 at about 15kXp?
>>
>>47911563
if they fail at 15k they are retarded

if one of them is a psyker and knows wtf he is doing he can kill the eversor in 2 turns
>>
>>47911657
So you're saying it's not killy enough? Im not very good at reading stats and transposing effectiveness in a combat scenario unfortunately. There is a psyker in the group but he's a telekine/telepath, not too focussed on combat but he has a few of the telekine powers. What would you suggest to back this up? I always thought Imperial assassins worked alone.
>>
>>47911722
Imperial assassins can work in teams.
Including individuals of several different temples together.
A team of a Vindicare, Callidus, Eversor and Culexus is called Execution Force.
Have fun.
>>
>>47912013
Cool, I thought that was just the boardgame GW put out. May be overkill at this stage thouh, not all the characters are combat powerhouses.
>>
In a hypothetical situation, how could I create the horribly most OP character in either Black Crusade or DW?
>>
>>47912194
*Player character that is. Asking for uh, a friend.
>>
>>47912194
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with a shitload of powers and gifts.
>>
>>47912220
That depends on how lenient your GM is, your luck with dice and what you want to do.

For being King Death of Murder Mountain, going Khorne with a pair of daemon-possessed Legacy weapons will make you a blender where the question is no longer whether things will blend or not, but rather whether or not they're hit.

The other way is to do something similar as a Slaaneshi Psyker. You get that, plus so much more. It'll require more effort and XP, but you could probably trump the Khornate by virtue of speed and volume of attacks.

You could also go Tzeentchian Psyker and probably fry everything.

A lot of this depends on how willing the GM is to put up with your shit, and what mutations you roll, as well as your opposition. However, a well-built psyker, after a few thousand xp, can deal with most threats.
>>
>>47912397
>>47912428

Okay, thanks for the ideas, will probably try out the Slaneeshi Psyker, shit seems cash
>>
File: 1462322429859.png (121 KB, 284x281) Image search: [Google]
1462322429859.png
121 KB, 284x281
>>47912194
>>47912220
Fuck offfffffffffffffffffffff
t. ur gm
>>
>>47908761
so a few weeks ago some anon posted a PDF of some vehicles and weapons for a drop troop regiment. It had really interesting mechiancs i wanted to try but i cant find it now. Can any nice anon help me find it again? It had a elysian on the front of it
>>
>>47914435
Check the homebrew folder in the MEGA?
>>
>>47916503

already did, it wasnt there as far as i could see
>>
>>47912190
Look in 1e Inquisitor's Handbook for the neuro gauntlet weapon and give that effect to the eversor that is for some reason missing that effect in every eversor statblock.
>>
Anyone ever run or come up against a genestealer cult? How did you handle it?
>>
>>47917491

phosphex
>>
>>47909764
To answer your question (albeit pretty late) I think you should really go with either Tau or maybe Necrons.

Tau would be the ultimate irony - the very foe you hated so much would be your only salvation. You hate them - hate them beyond belief - but you cannot bring yourself to abandon the very people you swore to protect. The fact that you are now taking orders from beings you once swore a holy oath to combat to the death wears heavy on your soul, and your character can't deal with it. In his personal crisis of faith in himself and of his own beliefs, the colonel/Governor ends up becoming even more callous and cold, spending the lives of his men almost without care, because he can't bring himself to terms with his situation and only hopes that by throwing more men at the problem it'll just go away.

Necrons are just really, really good at fucking a place up, but also acting like "people," unlike Tyranids. Guard can reasonably adapt to the "average" Necron tactics (not those of the Overlords of high-ranking Dynasties, but low-level uprisings are more than manageable) provided they have a numeric advantage and adequate support, especially if the Necrons in question have a "flaw" that can be easily exploited (such as routine attack times, telegraphing their objectives with grandiose gestures, only fighting out in the open out of a sense of personal honor, just general insanity, etc.). However, even "weak" Necrons will ROYALLY fuck a place up, and can tear through anybody who isn't ready for them.
>>
File: 1463169708326.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1463169708326.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47914435
This is the most recent version that I'm aware of.
>>
File: Antonio-Lopez-de-Santa-Anna.jpg (164 KB, 1135x600) Image search: [Google]
Antonio-Lopez-de-Santa-Anna.jpg
164 KB, 1135x600
Ever base you characters off real-world people, or at least real-world "archetypes?

This is how I Rogue Trader. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClIZ0NuLQuw
>>
File: Mechanicus Time.jpg (117 KB, 520x773) Image search: [Google]
Mechanicus Time.jpg
117 KB, 520x773
>>47908761
I'm going to assume that pic related minus the meme text came from FFG's art, and I want to know the context of it.
>>
it's been about three years or so since I've touched anything related to 40k. How do I get back into it?
>>
>>47919441
Fight necrons
>>
>>47919539
Do they still come back to life but lose immediately if you kill enough at once?
>>
>>47919621
No, it is on a per-necron basis now unless if you're talking about the wargame and not the RPG then I have no idea.
>>
>>47919682
yep, I was into the wargame. rpgs look cool though.
>>
>Want to stat up a Lathe World/Drop regiment where everybody starts with maglev coils (maybe, they are kinda shit).
>Don't know what to name them that isn't stheel rehin.
>>
>>47920041
>maglev coils (maybe, they are kinda shit)

You say that mate but I was kicking myself for picking ferric lures the other day during my second session as a heretek in BC when I had to get up somewhere that was fairly high.

Having lathe worlders with integral grav chutes is fucking genius though. I assume you're not fluffing them as being from actual lathe worlds in calixis sector and just some random forge world? Actually the weird gravity fuckery with the three lathes might make drop regiments a logical outgrowth.

No immediate suggestions for names other than planetname Skyguard or Ironhawks or something.
>>
How would /tg/ build a Tempestus Scions regiment?
>>
>>47920041
>planetname Avian Guard
>planetname Thunders
>planetname Falconers
>planetname Landers
>planetname Hotdrops

And so on. You could try looking up cool bird names, too, for even more options.
>>
>>47921374
You might have to cheese the rules in a similar way to how FFG did to make the Kasrkin.
>>
>>47921898
>Falconers
>Thunderers

Fucking A. Might steal these for my own drop troops reg at some point, maybe with a mesoamerican theme. Badass.
>>
>>47921374
>>47921909

>Schola Progenium (3 Points) (Pretty much a given)
>Grenadiers (4 Points) (Gets us carapace armour and bombs out the wazoo)
>Bonded to the Machine Cult (3 Points) (Bonuses for logistics tests for plasma, melta and power weapons, all fairly standard part of the Scions arsenal)
>Sharpshooters (4 points) (Sorta self explanatory, right?)
>Electro-Vox Warfare (4 Points) (Let me explain this one. Gives us all microbeads, as well as auspexes and voxcasters per squad, plus static generators and signal jammers if we're feeling tacticool.)
>Condemned (6 points) (Okay, this one is probably the most cheesetastic, but hear me out. Description says disliked, distrusted, generally assigned high-risk operations . . . sounds like storm troopers and their glory-boy attitude and modus operandi to me. Bonus points if we get assigned a commissar -- schola buddies!)

Take hellguns with our extra kit points and we're set. Tempted to drop electrovox for something else to lower the point cost and make it less cheesy overall, but I'm impressed with myself that I actually found an excuse to use that doctrine at all.
>>
File: tumblr_o6y3gtiEqS1r7sijxo1_500.gif (2 MB, 446x454) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6y3gtiEqS1r7sijxo1_500.gif
2 MB, 446x454
>>47922157
> picks a doctrine that gets us bonus for getting a bonus to logistics for high tech shit
> chooses a drawback that negates it entirely

Are you high
>>
>>47921909
What impresses me is that they wrote them that way specifically so they could be cheesed in that precise manner.
>>
File: Park it like it's hot.gif (498 KB, 500x243) Image search: [Google]
Park it like it's hot.gif
498 KB, 500x243
>>47921898
>planetname Hotdrops
>>
>>47922199
Yeah, though I don't really mind. Was nice to get an all-Kasrkin regiment even if their kit was a bit of a mess.
>>
Playing an only war campaign where our squad just got into a fight with a Tau psyker named Jerry "basically like the Tau God-Emperor" with the stats of Commander Firewing but immune to CC, who also had backup of a tau battle suit and half a dozen fire warriors.
>>
>>47922316
How did it go and what is your GM smoking?
>>
>>47922337
It was actually hilariously amazing. It was Jerry's birthday. Two days from retirement. We killed all his friends at his party apparently.

Our DM was smoking sleep deprivation I think.
>>
So, I recently got into a Dark Heresy 2nd edition game, and I am.. entirely new to the game, I haven't ever touched it before.
So I made a Forge World Mechanicus Chirurgeon.
Help me /tg/, what are some cool things I can do at start?
(I did get chimestry)
>>
Which factions, exactly, recruit the freelance mercenary orcs/deldar etc?
>>
>>47922787
Tau hired some Deldar with payment being the sending of some peasants on a cultural exchange trip to Commorragh.
>>
Is Resistance (Fear) stackable in Only War?
>>
>>47922787
Plenty. The Severan Dominate in Only War is a good example of a non-Imperial human faction who does extensive business with the Dark Eldar, and chances are there are dozens of different petty imperiums and rebellious states who provide them with work.

Then there's particularly unscrupulous Rogue Traders, Inquisitors, and the occasional crime lord operating on the fringes of Imperial space, although even the most murderous crooks probably take the Ecclesiarchal tenet of abhorring the xenos pretty seriously.

Then there are the countless unnamed xenos empires that are supposed to be sprouting up all over the place in the 41st millenium, of which the Tau, as alluded to by >>47922824, are only one.
>>
>>47917491
My current campaign features them as the big bad, they've infiltrated a noble house on a Knight World. There's some rules for cultists dotting around on some forums but I'm probably just going to have them as generic mooks with some of the mutations added.

In terms of story wise how I run them, they're very hidden. There's some rumours that the nobles of the house frequent whorehouses, but nothing confirmed. Right now the PCs are investigating a doctor in the underhive who is rounding up mutated citizens under the request of an Adeptus Biologis Techpriest.
>>
>>47918056
>>47918056
you are a god amongst men! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>47918496
As I recall it's just a picture posted to show how the regular people of the Imperium fear the Mechanicus for their weird ways and how isolated they are.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find the most up to date incarnation of a Vindicare Assassin? The other three temples (Eversor, Callidus and Culexus) are statted in DH2 but there's no sign of the Eversor. Any help?
>>
>>47924294
By that logic that tech priest might not have any malevolent intentions at all?
>>
>>47924358
Absolutely not, at least from his point of view.
>>
>>47924358
>that tech priest might not have any malevolent intentions at all?
Look, his manufactorum production is down 12% and he needs to expand his workforce by 40% within 2 months. Servitors can work 24/7, don't need paying, and only consume efficient vat protein. He needs those servitors now and can't wait for a prisoner shipment or forced-growth vat, so it's just random circumstance that these civilians are getting servitorized. There's nothing personal or malicious here, that would be emotional and inefficient. Maybe next year the Imperium will set a reasonable quota on Leman Russ parts.
>>
>>47924453
Pretty much this. You gotta do what you gotta do.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 562x530) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 562x530
>>47924367
>>47924453
>>47924516
I wasn't thinking like that. Not too grimdark nor the opposite.
>>
Since I feel like making somebody chuckle and/or teaching people, something I wanted to share.

Have DH2 Corebook, bought at GenCon 2 years ago, and have been having a fixation on playing a game.
>No one else in my group is in the mood for it, however...

Anyway, I go through it and DL the Splatbooks because the "Sanctified" trait for weapons was driving me fucking nuts.
>Sanctified weapons are considered to be holy damage, which can have dramatic effects on daemons.
......and those effects would beeeeee....what?

After over a week of searching and going "What the FUCK!?!" I'm able to find no more information on what the FUCK Sanctified does to Daemon's that's supposed to be "Dramatic".

I was expecting it to be a GM discretion thing. Then I went into the Enemies Beyond book in case there were individual descriptions for each type of Daemon for what Holy damage does to them. Only thing in there was that Sanctified weapons can ignore Nurgle Daemons aura of rot. (Every piece of equipment counts as Poor quality)
>Found out how to get Sanctified weapons though. Need and Influence of at least 50 and it's Very Rare.

Then I go back in the core rule book and on a lark, look up some of the other traits....

Holy damage description is under the "Daemonic" Trait and the "Stuff of Nightmares" trait.

So if anyone else was having that problem, there's your answer. And if you chuckled at my Herp-da-DERP moment, good.
>What does?
>Daemonic= STACKS with Unnatural Toughness and Toughness for Damage reduction.
>Holy ignores that, like Felling does for UnT, but completely negates instead of "Holy (4) negating 4 levels of Daemon" or something
>Stuff of Nightmares: "...ignores Critical effects that don't destroy it outright."
>Unless CE was caused by psychic power, Force Weapon or Holy Damage.
>>
Doing some fluff writing, would like opinions.
>God, clusterfuck incoming...

An average TechPriest reaction to finding a particular kind of Cyborg.
>Or any kind of tech priest, as I'm aware there are divisional splits among them.

The Cyborg: A very VERY human looking body when clothed, but obviously machine wherever skin would be exposed. Trick is, the ONLY thing still completely human is the head, while everything else is essentially a life-support system with more than a few features for wrecking shit.

Creation: Someone developing robo-bodies for war, not tech-savvy enough to program a good enough computer to control said robo-body for maximum results.
>Fuck it, stick a human brain on it!
Need to test run their new warmachines though. Solution? Sell the cyborgs to criminals who use them for Pit-fighting, same as with dogs or roosters, while the cyborgs brains have been surgically hampered to be more controllable with no memories of their past life or emotions.

So, did I just describe a super-advanced version of a Combat Servitor, and/or something that would make most Tech-Priests say "HERESY!! TRIPLE EMPEROR-DAMN HERESY!" or "DO WANT! DO WANT!!!"?
>>
>>47924917
That's basically a form of servitor. Not even that advanced or unusual. Even half a brain in a jar would pass muster as far as servitors go.
An actual full robot would have been far more heretical.
>>
I noticed that in Mark of the Xenos there are only 4 orks that are stat'd out. Is there another Deathwatch book where there are more, like it is for the Necrons? Or do I need to import something from Rogue Trader?
>>
>>47924917
>>47924952
Yeah, the main difference between that is it's more versatile and adaptable than your average combat servitor by virtue of not having guns for arms. That itself might be enough to make a lot of people leery, mind. I can imagine a lot of the more orthodox techpriests being appalled by the idea of a servitor that can pass itself off as human, either because it risks mockery of the Holy Human Form or because it represents an inefficient use of flesh and brainpower (you could probably make a more deadly combat servitor by replacing the arms with guns).
>>
>>47924917
If it has a human brain, it's pretty fucking kosher. Only problem arises if it's too smart. But so long as it has human parts, a lot of shit can pass. See the Janus SImulacra under the Servitors part of Inquisitor's Handbook for what the upper edge of a servitor's acceptable intelligence is.
>>
File: SkitariiSoldier.jpg (353 KB, 1284x1445) Image search: [Google]
SkitariiSoldier.jpg
353 KB, 1284x1445
>>47908761
Are these dudes a valid option in any of the 40k TTRPGs? They look pretty cool.
>>
>>47920041
If they're from the actual Lathe Worlds, try "Voidwalkers."
>>
>>47926169
Absolutely, they're represented with regiments in Only War, and every other System you can build them with the right traits and gear.
>>
>>47926452
technically the Crimson Guard is specifically not Skitarii
>>
>>47926169
>>47926452
>>47927374
For some weird-ass reason, GW doesn't want FFG or Forge World doing any skitarii fluff or rules whatsoever, for any reason. This has resulted in various dodges like the Crimson Guard that are "Close enough" without actually being Skitarii. You can, however, go Forge World/Admech/Warrior in DH 2e and say you're a Skitarii.
>>
>>47926169
Yes, but you may have to homebrew it a bit if you want specific elements, e.g. weapons, etc. Best system to work with is probably Only War if you want to focus on combat operations, although Dark Heresy gives a lot of info with the Lathe Worlds expansion. Regiment Homeworld should be Forge or Lathe world, give yourself Cyber-Enhanced, Bonded to the Machine Cult, Defenders of the Omnissiah, and/or Augmetics as special equipment doctrines.
>>
>>47927457
Interesting. Any advances on "weird-ass reason" for why they're doing that? Are they holding them back for an official codex or something?
>>
>>47908761
I've got a question that just popped into my head regarding cybernetics and actual exp costing talents with mainly Rogue Trader in mind.

Since Prosanguine requires Autosanguine would that require the Autosanguine talent to be purchased or could someone bypass the exp cost of the Autosanguine talent by getting the talent via the Vitae Supplement cybernetic enhancement? Basically, do the talents/traits gained via cybernetics count towards the prerequisites for talents/traits in the career paths or not?
>>
>>47927809
Codex Skitarii is out and has been for a while, but the embargo is still up, apparently. Keep in mind that this is all fifth hand rumors and hearsay, because GW HQ is a black fucking hole of noncommunication.
>>
>>47922704
go into medicae and trade chymist

scholastic lore chymistry

Ask your gm to create poisons and toxins. Coat the party's bullets with the crafted goodies.

Make firebombs and nades.Get a medkit. Think of ways to create stuff.

You should read the talents and set up a path you want to go on.

Get Trade Armourer and the Talent Armourmonger. It gives you IB points of armour to distribute around ur body which is always nice.

Also get Cerebral Implants of good quality.

Ask your GM for peer AdMech after you deal with the AdMech
>>
>>47922861
it should be
>>
Besides the boring shit like refractor fields and good cortex implants, what are some good ideas for the starting acquisition in Rogue Trader?
>>
>>47924952
>>47925542
>>47925816
Ah.

Then, if the human brain was fully intelligent, like someone just went "I need an entirely new goddamn body!", THEN the tech-priests would go "WTF IS THIS SHIT!?!"
>>
>>47929372
I know that personal gear and personal combat isn't really what RT is about, but if you're using the Soul Reaver splat and playing a Dark Eldar and you don't start with a Wingboard I don't even think we're playing the same game.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (296 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
296 KB, 1440x900
>>47918056
Fantastically titled.
>>
>>47929452
For a servitor, yes. A full conversion cyborg whose only human bits are a brain in an armored canister, that is somewhat radical but is still done routinely for cybernetic resurrection, elder tech priests, or some tech guard like Thallax.
>>
>>47928291
Thanks anon!
(luckily I had those things already, except the armorer stuff)
>>
>>47929372

Vitae Supplement and a good weapon.
>>
>>47929452
No, that's just a person with a cybernetic body. Now if you're reprogramming that brain, you're getting into iffy territory, but the kind of iffy where you're executed for heresy then some Magos nabs your notes for his Original Skitari Donut Steel
>>
>>47929972
>>47930409
Alright, thanks for the ideas/clarification. Basic premise is everything I said above with the cyborgs, except because of [Reasons], the brain-surgery required to keep them "Servitor" level intelligence isn't permanent and has to be continually maintained. Rarely, [Reasons] cause these cyborgs to slip the leash and remember who they were before getting decapitated and jammed onto an iron lung with guns/blades that could walk.

Wait, did I just describe a Dreadnought?

...wait a tick, did I accidentally come up with a more viable solution for Space Marines than being interred in a Dreadnought?

Huh....well, I'll finagle with that later. For now, thanks for the insights/opinions.
>>
>>47911563
If they are combat focused, with a few CC able characters, odds are in their favor.
That's why you have the eversor play it smart, hijack a plane or autocarriage, start the battle of with some WRRRRRRRYYYYY *splat*.
>>47912194
>hypotherical
>>
>>47924319
Black Crusade, I believe.
>>
A player is disputing that Armour Monger applies to the entire armor set, like DH1e version, and doesn't give points to distribute 1 for 1 to each armor piece.
Did the faq clarify this?
>>
>>47912194
was trying something like that, which turned out to be kind of a "thought experiment" more than anything else by running through the Backgrounds/Homeworlds/Roles in DH2 and trying to find the most optimum "Apptitudes"

Needless to say, didn't get much out of it...

TLDR: If you get duplicate Apptitudes at Character Generation, pick another one. HOWEVER, you can only pick an Aptitude named after one of your Attributes.
>Duplicate Willpower= Pick the "Toughness" Aptitude, but not the "Defense" Aptitude.

I was trying to find selections of Aptitudes that would lead to an "Even Spread" so it'd be the cheapest to buy any given boost/skill/talent, with the intent being "Pick the ones that aren't named for an Attribute, cause those can be picked up when you get duplicates."

Didn't work out so well, cause there are 4 Homeworlds that DON'T give you a 'named' Aptitude (Leadership, Fieldcraft twice, and I forget the third) and every Background gives you an "Either/Or" choice between two non-stat Aptitudes, while all the Roles give you 3 Stat/2 Non-Stat aptitudes of various kinds.

ended up being kind of a pain in the ass, but I was limited by patience and at the time trying to make the test Character a Psyker on top of all that.

But if you want possibly broken, Background in Adeptas Sororitas and Elite Advance to Sister of Battle have some huge fucking potential for ass-kicking.
>BG Adept Sor: Everytime you would take Corruption points, -1 and put that into Insanity instead
>EA SoB: SO MANY TALENTS that use your Insanity bonus to wreck shit, and ways to spend/gain LOTS of Fate points.
>Spend Fate Point: Add your Insanity Bonus as Armor to all locations
>Spend FP: Add your IB to your weapons penetration
>Never do lower than your Willpower Bonus in damage when using a Flame weapon
>Add your IB to Damage when attacking an enemy you have the Hatred Talent for.

Shit get's redonk.
>>
>>47908761

test post
>>
File: char.png (492 KB, 1567x802) Image search: [Google]
char.png
492 KB, 1567x802
>>47908761

Would people be interested in a Dark Heresy 2nd Edition character generation Excel I'm in the process of making?

>pic related
>>
File: 2.png (112 KB, 1900x913) Image search: [Google]
2.png
112 KB, 1900x913
>>47933606
also, how key would an automatic aptitude XP calculator be, I'm in the process of making one for talents so far
>>
>>47933606
>>47933624
Glorious work your doing there anon.
>>
File: 3.png (690 KB, 1616x817) Image search: [Google]
3.png
690 KB, 1616x817
>>47933657
Thanks mate, I'm procrastinating hardcore from doing my exams
>>
File: weapons 3.png (2 MB, 1860x872) Image search: [Google]
weapons 3.png
2 MB, 1860x872
>>47933606
Any ideas on how to shove all of the things you can requisition (ammo, weapons, drugs etc.) in together? I'm just cramming all of the tables in together at the moment.
>>
>>47933771
hmm not sure on that one chap.
>>
>>47930678
Brains don't work that way.
>>
>>47932992
Which game armor monger is he talking about?
>>
>>47933606
>>47933624
>>47933714
>>47933771
Absolutely. As soon as you have a workable beta, or whenever you're comfortable putting it out here, post up, I'll add it t the MEGA.
>>
>>47935577

Sweet, thank you.
>>
Any funny stories/ random events from BC? I'm looking for little things I can add to spice up my player's stay in Q'Sal while their ship is being repaired
>>
>>47935869
I wouldn't say it was funny/random, but my players decided to inject raw warp juice/sewage/toxic waste into a guard to see what would happen. Then did it to 3 more to compare resuts. I was running the House of Dust & Ash adventure, but set up for a Black Crusade game in the Screaming Vortex instead. Shit got weird.
>>
>>47920434
>>47921898
Decided to go with Hotdrops for the regiment name, though I can't think of a planet name since I'm shit with names.

Characteristic Modifiers: +3 Intelligence, +3 Ballistic Skill, +3 Agility, -3 Fellowship
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech), Linguistics (Low Gothic, Techna Lingua), Logic, Tech-Use, Command, Operate (Aeronautica)
Starting Traits: Mechanicus Implants
Starting Talents: Catfall
Starting Aptitude: Tech
Standard Kit: 1 lascarbine (Main Weapon) +4 clips, 1 suit of IG flak armor, 1 resperator, 2 frag grenades, 2 smoke grenades, 1 kife, 2 weeks rations, 1 maglev coil implant, 4 fire bomb grenades
Favored weapons: Meltagun, Multi-melta

Isolated by Machines
Soldiers of the Omnissiah
Bonded to the Machine Cult bonus
Code of Honor
Normal Wounds

Lathe, Fixed, Drop Troop, Bonded to the Machine Cult, Defenders of the Omnissiah, Cult of Chivalry

Next on the idea list is a Drop Troop/Calvary Mounts regiment, though I'm tempted to make it from a ratling world.
>>
>>47932992
>>47934671
Obviously DH 2 Armour-Monger since it is the only Armour-Monger talent that works that way.
It clearly states in the rules that it's a point pool the size of your intelligence bonus, that you can spread out or apply all to a single armour piece.
>>
>Survivalist training doctrine
>Does not actually give Survival as a skill
>>
>>47938544
That...

That seems like a typo, actually. I'd houserule that shit.
>>
>>47938599
It does give Agility as an aptitude, but neither Survival nor Navigate use Agility in any way.
>>
>>47937031
You could rip your planet names off from ancient cities, people and/or Gods. Nineve, Khedesh, Nesite, Luwia, Nerik or Hama are all viable, and you could further spice them up with various suffixes or prefixes if you'd like.
>>
Alright, I've got a climax coming up at the end of a Ordo Xenos DH2 Campaign.

I got the group working with a local Knight Household in assaulting what appears to be a Genestealer Cult.

I want to bring in a Knight but unsure how I would stat such a thing, any advice?
>>
>>47939387
Check Deathwatch and tweak the reaver a bit.
>>
File: Lathisolothurnandboyes.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Lathisolothurnandboyes.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>47908761
I am running Only War, and we need an Anti Tank Rifle

Something like the 53.5kg Solothurn S-18/1'000 or the 49.5kg Lahti L-39.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solothurn_S-18/1000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39

It needs more penetration and stopping power than a Heavy Stubber, but I'm of the opinion that this isn't the light tank cannon that is the Autocannon, something more akin to a Very Heavy sniper rifle for taking out light armoured high - priority targets.

The kind of weapon you'd want to employ against a Chaos Space Marine Berserker, or Crisis Battlesuit.

What I have thus Far
Name: Antitank Rifle
Type: Heavy
Range: 400m
Damage: 2d10+8
Penetration: 10
Magazine: 10
Reload: 2Full
Special: Accurate, Crippling(2), Felling(4), Proven(3), Recharge, Unreliable
Weight: 55kg
Availability: Very Rare
Notes: Built in Targeter,
>>
>>47939559
And a lascannon doesn't fit it?
>>
>>47939571
Good Point, Looks like I was just overthinking it.
>>
Playing as Arch Militant in a new RT game.

As a character with an extensive military background, I've been named the Master at Arms.

Any tips for how I should manage the armsmen on the ship?

What should I be doing to fulfill my role?
>>
>>47939613
Make sure they are fed and armed.

Making sure they are fed and armed. Also probably loyal to the guy in charge, that'd help too.
>>
>>47939387
Check the homebrew PDFs in the OP
>>
How much rolling do you guys do for friendly NPCs in major battle scenes? Like, as long as they're not directly involved in the same combat as the PCs against the same enemies they're currently engaging, is it okay to just script and DM when they go down or do you guys dice it the whole way through?

Talking mostly about Only War in which I'll be describing a company-level assault with about two hundred guys, so there'll be all kinds of shit going on around the PCs' squad while they're moving through to their individual objective.
>>
>>47939924
If the PCs aren't interacting with them any further than some light communications, script it.
>>
>>47939931
>>47939924
There really isn't any reason to roll unless you deliberately want to. A scenario where the squad/platoon/company manages to push through better than the rest of the assault and gets pocketed could be an interesting scenario if you'd manage to pull it off, though.
>>
>>47937031
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_planets

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Astra_Militarum_regiments

Maybe these will help
>>
File: 1464897337502.jpg (1 MB, 850x1702) Image search: [Google]
1464897337502.jpg
1 MB, 850x1702
Hey guys, running a one-off tomorrow and think I'm going to shamelessly take the plot from Hammer of Daemons and put my group in it. (Daemon planet that's basically a giant gladiatorial arena) I could use some ideas for Daemon lords or plot hooks.
>>
>>47939387

Look at the Fringe is Yours and Chivalry Intensifies, depending on the power level you want.
>>
>>47924798
Seems like some pieces were really better written in Only War. The Sanctified entry gave you the page number for the demonic trait, and was generally more grounded on mechanical effects.

>>47914435
>It had really interesting mechanics
How so?

>>47939559
Lascannon or Single-shot autocannon.
Or the hell rifle from DH Daemon Hunter, but you'll need more than a requisition roll for that one.
>>
>>47939559
I cooked up one a long time ago and it's worked out fairly well for me, you might be able to use or take inspiration from my design.

Vanisher Anti-Materiel rifle (Heavy, 300m, S/-/-, 1d10+7 I, Pen 7, Clip 1, Rld Full, Accurate, Felling 4, Reliable, Tearing, 14kg)
The “Vanisher” is an ancient design, a massive stub rifle designed to be able to punch through vehicle armor. Famed for its deadliness and reliability, the Vanisher is nonetheless a heavy single-shot design, meaning that the sniper had best make his one shot count.
Unlike most heavy weapons, the Vanisher can be fitted with a scope, and can be silenced, and it gains the normal bonuses for Aiming as if it were a Basic weapon. However, a silencer adds +2 kg to its weight.
>>
>>47939613
>Any tips for how I should manage the armsmen on the ship?
>What should I be doing to fulfill my role?
As Master of Arms, you are in a role basically equivalent to a mix of quartermaster and chief of police.
Your first job is keeping the ship's armaments in working order, from your macrocannons to your turrets to the shotguns your armsmen use to shoot boarders or muties or beat lawbreakers with. You do not actually have the knowledge, expertise, or even the physical time to actually inspect all these thousands of weapons, so you need to rely on the various people important to you: Heads of the gun-clans, masters of supply, the techpriests that work with weaponry. Make sure your subordinates are keeping their subordinates working, so the ship is ready for combat at all times. Your work keeps the captain's sword sharp, keep it in the forefront of your mind.
Your second, and arguably more interesting, job is to keep order on the ship. The armsmen, Sergeants at Arms, and the warrant officers that are over them are charged with the duty of carrying weapons (Usually shotguns unless you spring for something else in truly staggering quantities) at all times, and dealing out punishment for broken rules, usually reprimands, fines, confiscation of property, summary beatings with a gun butt, whipping, and a number of inventive death sentences. You keep the discipline engine running and crack down on mutiny or dissent. Don't take it easy on the crew, because thousands of them are likely hiver or penal conscripts who cannot be fully trusted and can and will mutiny if you relax control too much. You are the captain's shield against heresy and mutiny, act like it.
>>
>>47920041
Lawn darts
>>
>>47940986
>Hellrifle
Whew lad, probably not, but its statblock is similar to what I'm looking for, other than being relatively light and a basic weapon.
Thank you for the heads up.

Single shot Autocannon Is pretty much what I'm going for I guess, I could take Integral Bipod / Tripod and Manual Operation applied to the vanilla OW AC and that pretty much settles it.
Thank you again for the input, this is helping me think over options which would allow me to stay within the RAW without having to introduce the players to a ton of my own personally homemade stuff of dubious quality.

>>47941245
That Anti-Materiel rifle is pretty great, again, I think it may be a bit light for what I need, but I will copy this statblock and probably throw it into one of my sessions, thank you very much.
>>
>>47932723
I was under the impression that Eversors were unable to play it smart, and they just got fired off in a missile, clawed their way out and to their target?
>>
>>47941804
Eversors are programmed to do whatever is needed to reach their target, it's just that a callous disregard for collateral damage is a part of it.
I would imagine that all relevant tac info was fed to them, so they would act appropriately. If your target is heavily armed and protected, you can't simply walk up to them.
>>
>>47941865
I suppose so, I guess I just thought they were more of the last resort sort of assassin, where a Callidus wouldn't do or you couldn't infiltrate, you sent the suicide bomber berserker in. I'm planning to use an Eversor as it stands to initiate a DH plot, the PCs Inquisitor wants them to track down who authorised the Eversors deployment and what its target is, nobody's owning up to it and the bodies are piling up fast.
>>
>>47941902
I always saw the eversor as an unstoppable killing thing, not a berserker, but indiscriminate.
Remember:
>Drive (All)
>Pilot (All)
You could literally have a plot where an eversor hijacks a chartist captain's ship and crash it into the target.
>WRRRRRRRRYYYYYYY
>>
>>47941978
True enough,guess I got the wrong end of the stick on these guys.
>>
>>47941999
Just gotta be flexible, dawg.
If you are running an eversor as an enemy of the party, you realize real quick they are NOT as ded 'ard, killy, choppy, or dakka-e as they get credit for. They go down FAST to a prepared force.
Then, look at their lore, and their usual targets: Not hardened positions or combat units, but iconoclasts, demagogues, people that need to be made an "example" of publicly. When they are sent against other military targets, they fail.
I mean, fuck, 100 eversors couldn't take on 300 space marines.
>>
>>47941902

They're also used to send a message, and to demoralise the enemy.
Finding the charismatic enemy Commander with his throat cut or a hole in his face is one thing, but there's usually a few people in the background that are capable of picking up the reins and carrying on.
When you unleash the Eversor, you don't just kill the guy, but everyone within a decent radius of him, in graphic, messy, chunky-salsa ways.
That couple of guys who were elsewhere at the time take one look at what happened to their predecessor and think "Fuck that for a game of Soldiers"
>>
>>47942066
I was under the impression that they were deployed to bunkers and the like to take out command squads of hostile military forces, i could be sure I read that someplace.
>>
>>47942076
I think this might be what I was thinking when I referred to >>47942090. Wiping out everyone in charge in one go, maybe it wasn't originally a military thing but it sure sounded it to my mind.
>>
>>47942122
A bit of both.
What it comes down to is that you don't use a eversor to take on elite military dudemans, you use them to take out leaders in a decapitation strike.
>>
So, I guess if anyone needs new minis for their hexmat, now's the time to raid FW.
>>
>>47942334
Have prices confirmed dropped, are did they already bump prices to account for the weaker pound?
>>
>>47942076
>When you unleash the Eversor, you don't just kill the guy, but everyone within a decent radius of him, in graphic, messy, chunky-salsa ways.
Also anyone who was blocking the way to the target, anybody who happened to be near the Eversor's path, anybody who the Eversor needed to take out to open a path to a target (I need Joe Schmo's hand to be on a palm scanner. Joe Schmo himself is optional), and in general the Eversor's path of destruction will be comparable to that of your average bored sandbox game player.
>>
>>47942621

> the Eversor's path of destruction will be comparable to that of your average bored sandbox game player.

I'm not going to lie, I laughed at that description. Touche sir.
>>
Hey, GM, I said I was gonna run the list of shit I wanted past you for Ginerale.
'ere we go:
Skills:
Awareness+10
Charm+10
Command
Common Lore (Arbites+10/Chartist Captains/Imperial Creed/Imperium/PDF/Schola/Underworld+10/Tech)
Deceive
Inquiry+10
Interrogation+10
Intimidate+10
Logic
Medicae
Navigate (Surface) X
Operate (Surface x/Aeronautics)
Parry
Stealth

Talents:
Ambidextrous
Clues from the Crowds
Contact Network
Constant Vigilance (Int)
Coordinated Interrogation
Cover Up
Deny the Witch
Double Team
Face in a Crowd
Leap Up
Nowhere to Hide
Two Weapon Wielder
Resistance (Fear)
(Enemies Without)
Grenadier
Leaping dodge
(Enemies Beyond)
Iron Resolve
>>
>>47942602
Power of the pound dropped hard after Brexit. Everything's worth about $1.37 per pound instead of $1.60.
>>
>>47939477
>>47939842
>>47940815
>>47940815
Thank ye.
>>
I cannot find a collection of drugs featured in WH40k RPGs, as a result I am compiling my own list. Would anybody be interested in it after I'm done?
>>
>>47944000
Check the armory in the OP :

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

But the drugs are very plain in the rpgs, for such a setting.
>>
>>47944000
>>47944190
Keep us posted anon.
>>
File: lmao.png (35 KB, 175x140) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
35 KB, 175x140
>>47942334
Aw sweet I was thinking about getting back into the tabletop anyway--

wait hang on that's MY currency you guys are talking about

tfw
>>
Are the colony rules in Rogue Trader worth bothering with? My group is poor and wanting to make investments, but instead of looting ruins, or treasure hunting, they wanna establish an adamantine mining colony in fuck off nowhere. Any pitfalls mechanically with RAW?
>>
Gonna be running some space combat using the Rogue Trader rules, anyone have any experience with them and anything I need to watch out for?
>>
>>47945403
Depending on your number of players and desire for speed, limit crew/NPC Extended Actions to some reasonable number (Max of twice your Crew Rating bonus seems to be a fairly common rule of thumb). Having a number of NPCs use Lock On Target to aid the gunner's shooting is one of the most common, useful, and efficient things you can do.

Hull Integrity goes away way faster than you'd think, and armor counts for a lot less than you'd think, too. Macrocannon combined barrages are absolute murder and go through HI like candy.

Ramming is a massive gamble, but can do ludicrous damage in the right circumstances. Ram & Board is a really, really common thing to see.

As for other advice, what exactly are you running? Imperials vs Imperials? Vs Orks? Chaos? Eldar/Deldar? If I know more I can offer more advice.
>>
File: Panicking Nigga.gif (423 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Panicking Nigga.gif
423 KB, 600x338
>>47945052

Colony rules as written are kind of awkward. They are capable of generating very large amounts of profit factor, manpower, and RU's, but if you do not carefully build, defend, or micromanage the colony, well...are you familiar with the concept of the Dwarf Fortress Tantrum Spiral?

>>47945403

Macrocannons are far superior to lances, and attack craft / bombers work poorly due to range and speed limitations.
>>
>>47945497
It's my black crusade group of PC's on a captured sword frigate vs another 1-2 swords or a Dauntless in an asteroid field. They may have help from other pirates, I'm not sure yet. Their primary objective is to capture and loot the 2-3 transports the convoy is protecting
>>
>>47945403
Make sure everyone has something to do. Way my group does it, each PC has their action, and one Crew Action. Say you have 3 PCS, and 3 weapons. Each weapon needs someone at it to fire. So if you are down in the medbay, you can't fire a macrobattery. There's also something on the Fantasy Flight forums for reworking armour and some weapons for void combat. Believe it is called Mathahmmer: Making Armour Count. It makes lances viable, and equalizes macrocannon broadsides. I cannot comment on how it effects torpedoes.
>>
>>47945519
Gawds damnit. I can only hope the AdMech they want here listen to us and do not fuck with the Yu'vath ruins we have poured ferrocrete into and around. Granted my Harlequin won't give any shits, right up until they remove artifacts from the ruins.
>>
>>47944414
This.
>>
File: 528px-You're_madder_than_Khorne.png (214 KB, 528x599) Image search: [Google]
528px-You're_madder_than_Khorne.png
214 KB, 528x599
Howdy gents.

A few friends of mine have asked me to run a Dark Heresy campaign for them. While I've read a ton of the fluff, and thus feel able to make a good story, I've never DM'd before.

I bought the rulebook (and read it) and have a decent idea of how the game works. However, I feel like these guys will either find the setting of 40k too much to digest for a session (they hear me talk about it from time to time so they're curious) or they will just take me efforts to explain the worlds and throw it aside for the sake of their own narrative/jokes (one of them is demanding to be able to roll as a Space Marine before our first session. I feel like being an asshole and writing him as a failed aspirant of some no-name chapter and have him be ridiculed everywhere he walks as not having the spine to die with honor in his trials like the other aspirants did, granting his wish in a perverse way).

Should I simply use the pre-made narratives included in the rule-book in lieu of my own setting, just in case they hate the game, and thus I dont waste my time creating all these characters/settings/etc.?
>>
>>47947561
2E or 1E? I think there are rules to play a marine in one of the splats for 1E if he's really obsessively committed, but some anons more in the know can correct me if I'm wrong.

>failed aspirants

Most failed aspirants still swear their lives to the chapter by becoming its serfs. Battle barges don't crew themselves. Still, I guess he could be a runaway serf. That presents several compelling plot hooks in and of itself, especially if you somehow tie his chapter into it.

I would do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you want to tell your own story, tell it. Crib as liberally and as literally as you like from the books, though.
>>
>>47947561
>Wanting to be a space marine in DH
Just tell him no.
>>
>>47947677
Sorry Anon, should have said in my earlier post.

It's 2E.

I like the idea of a runaway aspirant. Although honestly, I'm just tucking this idea way unless he really fights against playing anything but a SM.

>>47947687
I did, but like I mentioned earlier, I thought of a more conniving way to work that into the narrative. And as >>47947677 said in his post, him being a runaway aspirant would be a nice bit of backdrop to the game's story.
>>
>>47947777
Better make sure he is an aspirant before all the implant business gets involved then.
>>
>>47947796
I thought aspirants didn't receive any implants until they passed all their trials/became acolytes?
>>
>>47947777
>>47947796
Come to think of it, it is also very likely that the aspirant would be around age 12.
>>
>>47947818
I would make it so he was either:

A) A serf that served the chapter until he decided to run, as >>47947677 said

or

B) A failed aspirant that fled immediately for some grave sin, like killing another aspirant in his sleep to improve his chances or something. He would have been on the run for years
>>
>>47942066
>100 eversors couldn't take on 300 space marines.
Yeah, they just slaughtered 299 of their best. While outnumbered 3:1. By Space Marines.
>>
>>47942066
Worked well enough to kill a pre-warned ethereal on Taros by exploding at him.
Worked well enough to kill ork warbosses.
>>
>>47941330
Great write up, thank you
>>
How does one earn more fate? I just had to burn some to not die, so is there a way for me to get it back?
>>
>>47951517
Mercy of your GM mainly.
Performing some impossible feat usually helps.
>>
>>47951635
Okey-dokey.
>>
How deep do your GM's plots go?
>>
Is it lewd for techpriests to touch mechadendrite to mechadendrite?
>>
>>47952884
Only if the housings touch.
>>
>>47953003
So techpriests fighting back-to-back are engaging in sexual acts the likes of which only those in the machine cult can imagine?
>>
>>47953039
Don't you know it, citizen.
>>
File: Angel of the Emperor.png (341 KB, 1808x1923) Image search: [Google]
Angel of the Emperor.png
341 KB, 1808x1923
So how do you "Handle" a Deathwatch Squad in your games?

First campaign I ever GM'd of it I went full railroad, party did the mission assigned to them by the Inquisitor time and time again.

Thought about doing more of a freeform thing this upcoming one though, maybe make a map of a sector they're assigned to protect and let the squad vote on where and what they do about threats affecting the area

Also to anyone with DW experience, how do you guys handle relics? I let my players use any Chapter's with the mentality that in a time of great need, I assume most SM chapters would be okay with their loyal brothers carrying their sacred wargear to purge the galaxy of Xenos
>>
I run combat heavy games and this is something I do to make players enjoy/cushion the blow of a character death a little bit.

I've done this in virtually all of the 40k RPGs and almost every time a player acted on it, they did a cool thing and had a good time

Anyways here it is

When a player is almost assuredly gonna die or is already "dead", I let them invoke "Martyr of The God Emperor" It lets them take one full turn with their character, ignoring all negative effects or modifiers against them, trick is if you use the ability you are DEAD the next round, doesn't matter if they have a dozen fatepoints, or if they are near death when they decide to use it, one way or another that character's duty has ended. It's GM discretion on whether or not the player is in a situation to utilize the ability, like they could be disintegrated or sucked into the warp or something instead of a "normal" death

In my games its led to some pretty goddamn awesome moments
>Had a devastator use his last action to prime the Cyclonic bomb inside a Necron tomb as they were swarming over him
>Had an Inquisitor pull the pin on his hidden vortex grenade and hug the BBEG
>Had a Gaurdsman that blew up his heavy flamethrower as Blood Majick corrupted infected swarmed his position (akin to that scene in Dawn of the Dead with the propane tank)
and my favorite
>Had a wrongly accused RT blow himself and an entire hulk full of Black Legion Marines up, thus clearing his household name
>>
Could a psyker in black crusade research new spells or rituals?
>>
>>47953562
Yes.
>>
>>47953583
Thanks. Is there a proccess to it or a page reference? Because I cant find one.

>>47953495
Pretty cool, anon.
>>
>>47953598

Nah, it's between you and your GM.
>>
File: 1363917230367.jpg (203 KB, 700x590) Image search: [Google]
1363917230367.jpg
203 KB, 700x590
>Black Crusade
>friend finally makes it to a session
>most of the party are pretty equal in level, save for the two marines (myself and another guy, naturally)
>he's a fleshshaper
>that's 'the most attractive thing you've ever seen'
>has Deldar armour and a Blastpistol
>Somehow has both better tech-use and medicae than the fucking warpsmith
>also has two minions with 1d10+14 fucking initiative and have OHK everything they've gone up against so far
>it's session 3

I am going to fucking kill his character already I can feel the Blood god calling for it
>>
>>47954675
What did you expect out of the most broken Tomb for Black Crusade?
>>
>>47954849
>tomb
I mean tome. I guess you could build a tomb for the PC, then destroy it and piss on the rubble.
>>
Which version of Dark Heresy is better? The reviews for the 1st Edition are more positive than those for the 2nd, of those that I have read.
>>
>>47954874
The crunch for DH2 is generally a little smoother and easier to handle than 1, 2 is compatible with a lot of the recent lines (Black Crusade and Only War) as they share common basic rules, DH1 is only compatible entirely with Rogue Trader and Deathwatch, though the scope of those two means there's so little point in porting anything to either line.

DH1 has a tonne of splat books and fluff to back it up, while DH2 only has 3 books as it stands.

DH1 you start out utterly incompetant and it's a case of "why did we even get hired for this job?", DH2 starts you out as "I can see why I'm the man for the job". Aptitudes in DH2 are a little wonky and heavy loaded in favour of some aptitudes over others as well. I personally prefer DH2.
>>
>>47955036
Thank you very much for the explanation, kind anon.
>>
File: 1466379670984.jpg (147 KB, 800x585) Image search: [Google]
1466379670984.jpg
147 KB, 800x585
>>47954849
ToE is far from being the most broken one out of the 4 tomes to be honest. All the BC tomes are broken as fuck in their own way and any DM of worth knows that and keeps stuff limited.
>>
>>47955097
ToE does have the all-broken Rite of Fleshmoulding.
>>
>>47955097

Just because a book has new gear with new qualities and new damage variables does not make it op.

It's okay to let players have more powerful weapons than Lasguns, anon.
>>
>>47953495

Sounds like the martyr rule that exists in Deathwatch.
>>
>>47952635

We actually have to tone our plans down because the GM is pretty dense. Plans or puzzles that are harder than, say, resident evil, fly over his head. And intrigue is a lost cause. Every NPC is straightforward, every word taken at face value, and every action performed as they say they would. It gets confusing at times, always watching for betrayal when the NPCs are too clueless to plan such things.
>>
File: 1417267785262.jpg (69 KB, 1280x970) Image search: [Google]
1417267785262.jpg
69 KB, 1280x970
>>47955238
This is true but it's the only thing that is truly right and proper broken in the book hence why i said "far from being the most broken out of the 4"

>>47955245
If you read the books anon then you'd know it's not the weapons nor the gear that breaks BC, It's the silly combos you can pull off.
>>
>>47909856
In the ultramarines novels a hive world survived after tyranid invasion - lots of left over lictors and maybe genestealers and weather was changed
>>
>>47955617
You know the surfaces of Hive Worlds are already toxic to human life, right? And in a way, the hives themselves are too, particularly the underhive.
>>
>>47912194
If the game is high level build Tzeentch and get
>bolt of change
As a GM I'm going to make my players jump through extra hoops to get it. By the time you can by it you can push to PR 9, which means it can shoot 9D10 Pen 9, Felling 9 bolts. Basically any big bad or monster you want to throw at the players with can get zapped right away, and will need special any psyker abilities to not evaporate in 2 rounds.
>>
>>47955954
Besides dodging?
>>
>>47956019
If the PCs aren't retarded they can just spray at whatever big bad with automatic weapons so he uses up his reactions and any power fields get over loaded, then have the psyker smoke him with bolt of change.

There is more to combat than "i make a bs test with my gun"
>>
File: 1366162723069.jpg (10 KB, 216x291) Image search: [Google]
1366162723069.jpg
10 KB, 216x291
>>47912194
It depends on what your aiming to do, you can make Human psykers that can kill a Great unclean in a single half action, to Sorcerers that lightning attacks for at least 16 hits a round. So pick your poison anon.
>>
Any stats for anything resembling a tear gas grenade anywhere across the games?
>>
>>47958911
Choke grenades, I think they might be in Book of Judgment.
>>
>>47959016
Nice one, I'll have a look
>>
>>47959016
Book of Judgment and DH2e core book.
That said, it's super nerfed in DH2e for some reason.
>>
>>47959157
DH 2e and its random nerfs and buffs fucking baffles me.
>Eldar need to be better!
>The combat monster Eldar don't need combat talents, though
>Orks are too good, make their guns literally worse than Imperial stub pistols and nerf their Toughness and Mob Rule
>Generally fucking with stats all over for no real raisin
>Nerfing grenade launcher attachments into the dirt for no logical reason
It's gotten bad enough that I basically only use DH 2E for character creation, talents, skills, and subsystems like Subtlety and Explications. Everything else gets backported from OW.
>>
File: Legion Glaive Tank.png (2 MB, 1078x705) Image search: [Google]
Legion Glaive Tank.png
2 MB, 1078x705
>>47953314

The way I'm doing it, aboard their battleship they have a sector map near the bridge. Every so often, this map will ping with new calls for help or requests. I found four missions at a time was a good number, while five got overwhelming. Everyone decides together which mission they want to take, and they set off. Threat prioritization is important, since threats accumulate as time goes on. Addressing an Ork Waaagh early, for instance, will make the mission easier and prevent it from gaining momentum, but the tradeoff was that the Tyranids on another world have now set up spawning pools and are bringing in bigger creatures. Over time, they can clear these missions, and new ones will pop up as situations in the sector change.

From there, everyone can select their weapons and gear, depending on what oath or rite they take. If they have the points, Relics aren't that bad, just slightly more powerful than the baseline, or they are merely pre-nerf variants of weapons ex. BA Octavio bolter is a prenerf bolter in damage and RoF, so if someone needs a relic, it's available. I haven't seen much of an issue with relics, beyond one I made which was a screwup but too late to take back now.

Finally, they can also spend points on assets as per Rites of Battle, depending on what they deem necessary - if a mission requires raw manpower, they can bring down some squat troopers from aboard the ship, for instance, or if it's an armored assault, they can order down a tank like a Predator, Sicaran, or Fellblade if things are really dire.

Once everyone has selected a mission, gotten their gear in order, and managed their assets, they deploy and begin execution. I found this is a good system that allows everyone to choose their priorities, keeps them more engaged, and gives different outlooks a chance to shine and be debated, since what one person considers a stealth mission, the other may want to just bust down the door. It's also a hell of a lot more interesting this way.
>>
>>47959260
For orks, the guns are alright, I think, lot of dakka+ numbers, and their toughness was overkill in DH1e with their native 8TB on top of armor.
6TB for boyz and 7+TB for nobz is fine.
The grenade launcher I just ruled to being reloaded out of combat, or 3 minutes narrative time.
>>
>>47959283
Does your preplanning of each of the missions include a map as well?
>>
>>47959394

That depends. I prepare a basic description of the battlefields, key points of interest on a planet, and the known locations of any allies for most missions. Usually, everyone heads to the Militarum regiments, local leaders the Arbites or Mechanicum, or even the citizens themselves and try to get a bit more info, since the locals know the situation better. From there, it may or may not alter how they want to do things. If there is time to plan out approaches, there is usually two or so Imperial institutions about who have some more key info about things like enemy locations, approximate strength, etc.

However, some missions are more in depth, and require exploration, such as Mechanicum facilities, Xenos ruins, or other exotic places, and I prepare "maps," or at least a number of rooms and places (since it's an IRC game) for exploration. In general, though, the amount of detail I go into is dependent on how much time will NOT be spent killing stuff.
>>
How good and/or useful is Terminator armour? Is there any way to make yourself more mobile in it, or are you just a big hulking target that has double autocannons who just goes ham?
>>
>>47960026

Depends on if you're restricting yourself to base, or if you're using the tartaros and cataphractii sets that are floating around somewhere. Cataphractii has a better shield, while you can dodge in Tartaros.

Indomitus terminator armor is pretty lackluster.
>>
File: 1452739154924.jpg (759 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1452739154924.jpg
759 KB, 2560x1440
>got dead men walking
>thought it would be a neat book about Krieg
>begin reading, and be given just an outside look at the regiment
>bored, keeping reading in hopes of good stuff
>finish a mess as I see the horrible dehumanization that is the forty first millennium.

Fuck that was good, even if I wished for a happier ending.
>>
>>47960026
>just a big hulking target that has double autocannons who just goes ham?
A true hero of the Imperium goes double chainfists and becomes the Juggernaut.
>>
>>47961465
I was really blown away by how good that book was, even if the ending made me feel like I'd just watched the Red Wedding for the first time again.
>>
File: SL officer.jpg (93 KB, 400x868) Image search: [Google]
SL officer.jpg
93 KB, 400x868
Got an idea, kind of like /tg/'s input on whether it'd be unfeasible, ridiculous or a neat idea.

Thinking of running an OW game and trying to think of ways to incentivise the players to actually make friends within the regiment as they climb the ladder. Whilst favours can be made out of combat, it could be something else to have certain friendships or professional relationships yield serious advantages that can be activated in combat with the use of a fate point - of course, they need to be within range of communication to get you that help.

Made friends with the man in charge of your attached mortar platoon? Spend a fate point, benefit from a trio of mortar bombs without having to Charm/Command him over the radio.

Do you and the company commissar see eye-to-eye? Perhaps a fate point will allow your squad to benefit from the Inspire sub-heading of Command for a handful of turns, or if you're platoon command, you gain a serious buff to your command roles as he goes down the line and bellows inspirational nonsense.

What does /tg/ think? A nice idea, or unnecessary?
>>
File: image.png (344 KB, 373x576) Image search: [Google]
image.png
344 KB, 373x576
What would a squad of tzeentchy soldiers from Q'sal fight like and be equipped with?

My BC party might be pissing them off in a session or two.
>>
File: Enemies of the Imperium_01.png (5 MB, 1258x1630) Image search: [Google]
Enemies of the Imperium_01.png
5 MB, 1258x1630
Who is this man and how do I become this badass
>>
>>47962839
That's Caiphas Cain, hero of the Imperium!
>>
>>47962921
Since when was Cain that ripped? That man looks like he could take on Captain America and win
>>
>>47962948
propaganda images

he doesn't dual-wield bolters, that's just what the posters show him using
>>
>>47962948
He's always actually been pretty jacked in the novels. Part of the reason he's one of the best duelists in the Imperium is he's strong enough to heft around his blade without getting tired. However, that is propaganda art. Mostly given away by how ridiculous the art is, and he's using bolt weapons which he hates.
>>
So in DH2e why can't you fetter cast?
>>
>>47962839
OH MY GOD, IT;S CAIN!
>>47962989
Yeah, he prefers laspistols.
>>
>>47962997
This, pretty much.
>>
Is it cowardly as a deathwatch space marine to run from what is a deadly nuclear explosion from promethium pipes being detonated? My group thinks I'm a coward for doing so. Why the fuck would a space marine resign himself to death? I had possibility sheild cast which in the flavor text, literally allows you to see the future which is where the massive bonuses come from. 5×PR.

I don't get why i'm being called a coward.
>>
>>47965664
Too add to this i'm stuck on a tyranid infested planet. How 2 survive ? It's about 76% eaten
>>
>>47965736
Are you alone?

Any support?
Any ships?
Anything?

What's your mission/situation?
>>
>>47966088
I am alone. I am a psycher. Apparently a scout team is soon to go retrieve me.
>>
>>47966109
Well try to not use any psycic abilities, nids will come to you like a moth to flame

all I can really say is find a defensible position and hold it

going underground somewhere might help you avoid them
>>
Anyone got the pdf version of mobile suit mechanicus?
>>
>>47966153
Alright thanks. And now answer my first question. Why am i a coward?
>>
Okay, a question about Malignancies. A lot of the Malignancie are based on sight. If a person with organic eyes were to replace them with cybernetic ones, what would happen? Would the effect persist, assuming the cybernetics weren't calibrated to prevent it, or would it not?
>>
So, I need help with something anons.

In Black Crusade, when performing the Ritual of Binding is there any way to make the Opposed Willpower test easier?
>>
>>47967169
Look in the tome of change.

There's a whole table dealing with this.
>>
>>47967189
>Tome of Change
You mean Tome of Fate right?

Or is there some book I've never heard of?
>>
>>47965736
Eat them first.
>>
>>47967249
tome of fate yes

it describes the creation of daemon weapons. EIther that or it's in the tome of plague.

Whatever nurgle and tzeentch are it's somewhere between those two books.
>>
>>47966153
>Going underground to avoid Nids
That won't stop Raveners, Trygons, Mawlocs, or Rippers.
>>
I was looking to pick up a complete set of the black crusade books and I noticed that the tome of blood isn't even listed as awaiting reprint on FFG;s site, does this mean that book is kill?
>>
>>47966319

Someone answer this
>>
>>47967729
Better broken in body than corrupt in mind, anon. It is better to die for the Emperor than live for yourself. A coward’s only reward is to live in fear another day.
>>
>>47967777
Of course, Deathwatch marines are a rare resource. Staying alive to kill more aliens is usually more cost-effective than dying pointlessly in a completely avoidable explosion.
>>
Rolled 10, 1, 1, 10, 4, 6, 8, 8 = 48 (8d10)

damage
>>
>>47967858

HAH! I just nuked 8 or more marines...
>>
>>47967435
While you're here. I wanted to ask if there is any way to increase your ability with opposed willpower tests in general without actually increasing your willpower characteristic.

Basically, is there any item, talent or whatever that gives bonuses to opposed tests (either all opposed interaction tests or just opposed willpower tests). I know there are similar items for boosting focus power tests as well as charm, intimidate, etc tests but I've been unable to find anything that can help with opposed willpower tests.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.