[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Comfy Drider Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: Drider Spinner.jpg (398 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Drider Spinner.jpg
398 KB, 1920x1080
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Old thread:>>47881751

How do you add cute/friendly monsters to your game? In what ways are they for purging?
>>
I don't add cute monsters because I am not a weeaboo faggot.
>>
If it's cute and/or friendly, it's not really a monster, is it?
>>
>>47892671
>Cute monsters
Going by /tg/'s interpretation of them? I don't.

>Friendly monsters
Most of my monster races have their own cultures, backgrounds, and histories in the world. Meeting someone who isn't an asshole happens. Though as >>47892704 said, typically a 'monster' is someone who is a completely abhorrent character.
>>
>>47892671
damn, you beat me to it...
>>47892708
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 700x906) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 700x906
>>47892671
When in need of cute things go fey.

Pro tip: Use owlbears.
>>
Reposting for the new thread

I think I cucked up my first character.

I'm playing the spellless ranger variant. At first it was pretty fun, and combat was great. But lately I'm having a hard time being useful outside of combat (characters are rich enough that food is almost never an issue) and combat is just getting boring. The other players aren't having my issues so I think it's limited to just me.

For reference, there is an enchantment wizard, a storm cleric, a storm sorc, and a druid, in addition to me.

Any ideas on what I should do, or what type of character I should switch to? I'm thinking something with full spellcasting, since that seems more fun and useful than my ranger could ever be. But maybe I'm playing the ranger wrong?

Ranger would be fun I think of food was an issue. But at this point our pcs are so rich we can afford to fund entire convoys to come on adventures with us.
>>
>>47892736
Owlbears are fey?
>>
>>47892747
You should talk to your GM about it.
Except for fighting, what can your character do?
>>
>>47892747
Yeah a ranger is a very outdoorsy kind of class, if you aren't navigating or scavenging for food you are just gonna be the savage. But that being said being an interesting character is much more fun than someone who is just good at stuff.

If you want to be good at everything just be a bard or rogue. Their skills are common and very good. The difference is just what you want your charisma score to be and spells.
>>
What is the best wizard subclass?

Assuming you have a DM who is capable of adequately role-playing npcs, I think illusion is the best. All of the features are really good if you put some thought into how to use them. The 14 feature is also probably the best skill in the game, because of how flexible it is.
>>
>>47892760
No but the feywild has a bunch of them, if you are seeing owlbears you are on your way to Dryads and Faires and all that.
>>
>>47892814
I see, that's pretty cool
>>
>>47892809
People are going to say Divination cause of Portent, but divination spells aren't that flashy and good until much later on, clairvoyance the level 3 spell is just the beginning.

Conjuration I always wanted to do, Evocation was fun when I did it, Enchantment for when I want to be the half-elf slut.
>>
>>47892823
Yup want to do a campaign there myself.
>>
>>47892844
Is portent that good? It's only 2 d20s to start and it says you have to use them before the other person roles. So isn't the odds of it being a better role only Every like 3 days?
>>
So I had an idea recently of how I wanted to implement psionics into my games. Namely, by having them function as Wizards, but with a spell pool mostly limited to Illusions, Enchantments, and a handful of other fitting spells.

How well would this work?
>>
>>47892844
I want to do counting and summon 8+ mephits or an Azer with that +30hp.
>>
>>47892918
Fuck auto correct, conjuring, minor elemental
>>
>>47892904
It's good. It has the most obvious benefits of any level two feature.

I think minor conjuration is the best though only if the player is creative.
>>
I'm adding those small trolls that rapes everyone from Berserk next game. See how that goes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
What can I read to get inspiration for the Feywild ?
I don't know what encounters to make for my players in 2 weeks.
I've read the Feywild Heroes book from 4th but it's honestly not helping much.
>>
>>47892747
Rangers are always garbage because the appeal to the character is flavorful and it's a trap.

Like a new player to D&D and sees a ranger and immediately thinks of a guy in a green hooded cloak, killing shitloads of people with arrows and running between trees knifing people. Or touching the ground and being like "They can't escape", etc.

Whereas in D&D, tracking is almost never, ever relevant (elsewise Rangers would be forced party inclusions), your damage isn't any more impressive than the rest of the party (sometimes even worse), and when you get to the point where you start dealing with magical bullshit and intense monsters, the whole "I'm a guy in the woods with a bow!" schtick doesn't help you at all.

You have a VERY magical party. Wizard/Cleric/Sorc/Druid is kind of nuts.

My two recommendations :

- Warlock. Warlocks have lots of cool powers and enough variety in their build that you should be able to make something useful to the party without stepping on someone else's toes.

OR

- Bard. You can still be the Bow guy like a Ranger but now you have all kinds of dirty tricks to use with it. There's also that neat level 10 Bard trick.

>Hit level 10, take Swift Quiver from the Ranger spell list. Cast as a bonus action, it gives your quiver an endless supply of ammunition and allows you to make two extra ranged attacks per turn as a bonus action for one minute. What that means is that when you cast that spell as a Bard with College of Valor, you’ll get to make 4 ranged attacks per round with a bow or other weapon for basically an entire combat.

Basically a level 10 bard gets to be a better archer than a level 17 Ranger.
>>
>>47893058
Changeling : The Dreaming. I'm not kidding. Even though it's a White Wolf setting ala Vampire the Masquerade, the entire fucking game is essentially about the Feywild before the Feywild was even a thing in D&D.
>>
>>47892904
Well, for a random result, there's a 0%-50% chance they would have rolled better/worse. I can't imagine calculating the chance it actually matters, so let's go with this. So taking the average of all the possible rolls, there's an average of a 27.5% chance each die gets used where the real roll would have been preferred. Then there's a 67.5% chance the portent roll was better for. There's always a 5% chance it's the same. Aggregated, it's a 40% chance for each die that it's a good thing for you.

You can improve the odds a lot by just not using poor portent dice.
>>
>>47893059
>Basically a level 10 bard gets to be a better archer than a level 17 Ranger.
Except with archery style, hunter's mark, and colossus slayer or horde beaker, I think the level 10 Ranger is still the better archer. Maybe it takes crossbow expert, too. Too much hassle to verify from tablet.
>>
>>47892904

A very low/high portent roll is a guaranteed success/failure on a significant ability. Need that Bad guy to fail his saving throw? With Portent you don't have to hope, you KNOW.

Want the Paladin or Rogue to crit something? Got a vital skill check? Trying desperately not to be seen by an enemy? It's incredibly versatile.
>>
>>47893221
Still has less attacks until level 11, and it's still INCREDIBLY depressing to think that a Bard literally just needs to take 1 spell, as opposed to the Ranger, who has to build his entire character around the concept.
>>
>>47893236
Jeez I was dumb when reading it then, I completely forgot about replacing enemy rolls
>>
>>47893089
Thanks a bunch! The wikipage already is very interesting. It's amazing to see that the bestiary is very close to being the same between the two games! I love it.

Anything else? I've got my own ideas, but the inspiration I'm getting from WotC stuff is a bit... childish, I feel.
>>
>>47893306
No, the depressing thing is they'd both be better served by casting conjure animals.
>>
>>47893419
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/britchange.html if you feel like doing a little more plumbing.
>>
How do you all handle generating hp on leveling up: do you roll your hit die+Con modifier or take the average of your hit die+Con modifier?
>>
The only one I know that ever wanted to roll for HP was the player that had a character who was literally luck personified, so it kind of fit. Everyone else just takes the average like any sane person.
>>
>>47893570
The 'average' given by RAW is slightly higher than your average roll (by .5 hp per level). You are statistically better off taking the flat number than rolling.
>>
>>47893570
First level I always give them their max + Con.

Every level after that, it's their choice, but there's no do-overs. You can take average + con if you want to play it safe or you can swing your dick on the table and risk rolling a 1 in pursuit of that big score.
>>
>>47893570
I let my players choose which one they want, each level. But if they talk about choosing random, i warn them that it's slightly suboptimal on average, and I won't give them any mulligans of any kind.
I think that's only fair.
>>
>>47893603
>>47893621
And if your DM is going easy they'll let you take the average if your roll is low
>>
>>47893570
If you're a wizard, it's ridiculously stupid to take anything but average given the option.

If you do the mathematics, you'll realize that you have a roughly 82.5% (Okay, I can't actually remember the real numbers but it's around about that) of ending up with WORSE stats by level 20 than someone who does nothing but pick average.

On the other hand, you can mix taking averages and rolling. If you roll until you get above average HP in total for example, you're more likely to achieve above-average HP in exchange for opening up the opportunity that you never reach above-average and have a shitty-HP character.
>>
>>47893759
Be divination wizard and talk DM into letting you just roll any 2 dice and using them in place of the same type, always roll them for HP if there is a chance to lvl up
>>
Has anyone else had a very negative experience with princes of the Apocalypse? Maybe it's just my DM, but the whole campaign feels very time constrained and doesn't really allow for much down time or general questing. There are entire towns my group has never even had a chance to visit because of how dire the situation is with the impending doom threatened by these cults. Especially since it seems that they can very easily bring about apocalipsis with little to hinder them accept each other. Which essentially just causes a Snowball Effect where as soon as you beat one you have to keep moving.
>>
>>47892809
As an example of what you can do with malleable illusions:

Smuggle explosive gunpowder (or similar, provided it exists in your setting and you have seen it before) into a guarded location using create. Simply create as much grain as possible with the create spell, then turn it into gunpowder later with your class feature. It is actually the object you created. You can also have whatever wooden tools you want by turning your shadow magic hemp backpack into a whatever solid oak creation you want. Also, since it's an illusion I have no idea if they can even be destroyed.

Disguise Self can be changed at will with the feature.

Illusory script becomes a doctor who blank fake ID.

Mirage arcane gives you the ability to create megastructures with technically infinite height. I'd stick with under a mile high, RAI. You can then make these mega structures real, and change their shape, or bring your aura of compete control over the environment for ten days with you.
>>
>>47892747
Go rogue thief or assassin with expertise in medicine.
Be a doctor.

What fighting style are you using anyway?
>>
>>47893059
Or maybe the ranger cast the spell as well. After all its a ranger spell.
>>
Anyone got any good homebrew Warlock Pacts?
>>
>>47893999
In honor or your post number why not make a pact with an angel or something, meant to do it with devil, but messed up
>>
>>47893999

I typically dislike homebrew, but I once saw a guy using a pact where the pact owner was their character's future self. Then again, I'm a sucker for time travel shit.
>>
>>47894034
Not a patron, a Pact like Pact of the Blade, Lore, or the Chain.
>>
What happens when you make a Phantasmal force illusion real? Is it only real to the target?

If I make a Phantasmal ladder force, targeting me for instance, can I make it real and then climb up a ladder that only I can see or interact with?
>>
>>47894034

>Brings up the get
>Not a pact with Cirno

Ya blew it onii-senpai.
>>
>>47893999
I made a witch one where the Patron is your coven, or a singularly powerful witch.
>>
>>47893946
He doesn't get it until level 17. Bard gets it at level 10.

That's the point.
>>
>>47894056
I dunno what else you'd want from pacts that doesn't exist. It'd be neat to have maybe a pact that was a suit of armor that did special things. Maybe a pact of the doppelgänger to get a copy of yourself, but in the appearance of your patron that acts independently of the warlock.
>>
>>47893999
Might help.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i0icyxe1s5obfmq/AACKS8jOW7XlAGa_q3kCdOXma/Complete%20Warlock.docx?dl=0
>>
>>47892904
>>47893101
Re-addressing this now that I'm at something more powerful than a phone:
1-10: "low" numbers. Use them on something you want to roll low.
11-20: "high" numbers. Use them on something you want to roll high.
1 and 20 are safe. They can only be tied. 10 and 11 are the worst. There's a 45% chance for a random roll that you'd like to be low to end up lower than 10, and likewise a 45% chance for a random roll you'd like to be high to end up higher than 11. So the range is 0-45. The average is 22.5% that you get a portent that ends up being "bad" when used, because the random roll would have been more to your liking. There's a 5% chance of a tie. So there's a 72.5% chance for a "good" result.

Corrected conclusion, there's a 50% aggregated "good" per die. So, on average, Portent will "work" on one die per day.

I think I can convert that % into shift on the die roll, and tentatively say that Portent averages -10 to one die roll per die. But you have to use it before the roll is made, so it's never possible to be sure it won't be wasted. You can only try to use it the best you can.
>>
File: alt warlock pact boons 0-2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
alt warlock pact boons 0-2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47893999
This is kinda meh, pretty low quality for what walrock usually puts out
>>
>>47894042
That sounds really neat. Link?
>>
>>47893920
>Mirage arcane gives you the ability to create megastructures with technically infinite height. I'd stick with under a mile high, RAI. You can then make these mega structures real
Mirage Arcane already provides tactile illusions. The structures are real for all specialties.
>, and change their shape, or bring your aura of compete control over the environment for ten days with you.
This is the awesome part for illusionists. Malleable illusions is really amazing.
>>
>>47893570
Everyone gets maximum HP.
Let the meat tanks have more than 10 HP over the squish-ass wizards, I don't give a fuck. There's enough random bullshit in the game without adding how many times you can be stabbed to the list.

Encounters can always be scaled up slightly to compensate for the higher than average HP, not that D&D was particularly balanced for the exact average to begin with.
>>
>>47893999
What are you looking for? I'm bored and I'll take a shot at writing one up real quick plus two invocations specific to it. Ideas off the top of my head.

Pact of the Gate, an extradimensional space all your own.

Pact of the Secret, a hidden truth man was not meant to know

Pact of the Vow, you hold the power of curse and contract

Pact of the Unnameable, you gain power over truenames

Pact of the Vessel, you play host to an avatar of your Patron

Also willing to take any cool thematic suggestions.
>>
>>47894258
Ok, a 1 is -9.5, on average, so that can't be right.

Ok, 1 is -9.5, 10 is -0.5, average change is -5.
11 is +0.5, 20 is +9.5, average change is +5.

So Portent is an average of +/-5 per die. Sometimes it will backfire.
>>
>>47894398
I do the same for the same reasons.
>>
File: 1463001035183.jpg (139 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
1463001035183.jpg
139 KB, 1023x682
>>47894258
>>47894327

thank you mathfag
>>
Do you regain hitpoints as a Necromancy Wizard with Grim Harvest by letting your summoned skeletons kill something? Do the kills they make count as making direct kills with a spell does?
>>
>>47894056
Artifact spirit pact.
You serve a master sealed in a magic item that scales up with your warlock level.
>>
Do we have any FR lore experts here? I started playing D&D not more than a year ago, and have been DMing for some months now. Players are about to reach Waterdeep, and I'm looking for inspiration and info on how to describe it, how to make them feel they're in this huge, sprawling medieval city. Besides the wikia, of course.
>>
What would you say is the highest level an NPC could reach before they reach legendary status?

In 3rd edition it was absurdly low, with 6th level being the highest you could go before you started performing ludicrously extraordinary deeds. What about in 5th?
>>
>>47894652
I'd say it might be a bit higher, around level 8.
>>
>>47894327
It doesn't specify that the structures are immobile either. Can you make massive structures that move? Can you make a success elevator?

Can you make a giant rock hundreds of feet across to crush your opponent's cities?
>>
>>47894695
Perfect. I planned on hitting the party with a combatant who is an unexpectedly gifted fighter, and had 8th-level war cleric in mind. The idea is to make them powerful enough that it would catch them off guard, but not enough for them to question why someone of that caliber was running around as a complete unknown.
>>
>>47894645
Go ask Ed Greenwood on social media. He answers everything.
>>
The DMG seems to say go by what looks right, but what are some general guidelines for creating a race?
>>
So I am a variant human wizard artificer at level 10 who as the Alchemist feat.

Can I enhance the potions I made with my infuse potion so my superior healing potion just gives me back 40hp?
>>
>>47894645

Could try the SCAG.
>>
Pardon the confusion, but an half elf bard has 5 skills to use at level 1?
>>
File: somedudesittingonamap.jpg (233 KB, 691x800) Image search: [Google]
somedudesittingonamap.jpg
233 KB, 691x800
>>47894645
It's a city that literally has several boxed sets dedicated to it.
The City Systems set is a set all about how to run giant cities with several pages dedicated just to describing different kinds of NPCs, noble fashion, and all sorts, primarily focused in Waterdeep.

While I could go on further and further, just have a picture.
The scale of the map that dude is sitting on is 1 inch = 100ft.
>>
Hey, anons? I'm trying to homebrew a Defiler Arcane Tradition for Wizards in 5e. Can anyone give me any feedback on this first draft for how the Defiling feature works?

2nd Level Feature: Defiling
When you cast an arcane magic spell with a spell slot, you may declare that you are defiling as you cast it. When you defile, you create an aura of death that stretches a number of feet from you equal to the level of the spell slot you are casting with. This aura kills off the land it touches and inflicts necrotic damage equal to your level on any allies within the affected area. When defiling, you may take either of two options to empower the spell.
* If the spell allows for a saving throw, you may double your proficiency bonus to determine the saving DC the target must try to beat.
* If the spell has a damage roll, you can make the damage roll twice and apply the higher result.
>>
>>47895056
7. Two from half-elf, three from bard, two from your background.
>>
File: wat.png (88 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
88 KB, 300x256
>Half Elf Variants
>IF your DM allows it, your half-elf character can forgo Skill Versatility and instead take the elf trait Keen Senses OR a trait based on your elf parentage
>Skill Versatility: You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice
>Keen Senses: You have proficiency in the Perception skill

>Quarterstaff can do the same damage as a Greatclub with Versatile, or without using both hands with Shillelagh, costs the same but weighs less, deals the same type of damage, and every class gains proficiency in it, unlike Greatclubs

>Trident is the exact same as the Spear, but costs and weighs more

>Every single damage Cantrip has scaling
>Except Magic Stone, which requires one action to cast, and another to attack, and it deals 1d6 plus your spellcasting ability modifier, with a range of sixty feat, and requires ammunition, and has concentration
>but someone else can use their attack action to throw one, using your stats, so it's okay

>Shape Water lets you fuck around with water, changing the direction or flow of water, allowing you to literally swim up a waterfall (slowly), or walk on water by freezing it (slowly), change it's color to make it look like a potion, or whatever the hell you want
>Mold Earth can turn you into a fucking magical excavator, moving five foot cubes at a time (that's a lot of fucking dirt), or just make it really hard to walk on
>Gust lets you blow shit away, pushing enemies or items, away, or slam doors and windows shut
>Control Flame lets you put out fire, or change the way it looks
>You can make fire too!
>but you need fuel
>and fire

>Air Genasi is really good at holding it's breath, and a 2nd level spell (2 traits)
>Earth Genasi is good at walking, and a 2nd level spell (2 traits)
>Fire Genasi darkvision, fire resistance, a cantrip, and a 1st level spell (3 traits)
>Water Genasi gets water breathing, acid resistance, swim speed, a cantrip and a 2nd level spell (4 traits)

>Halberds and Glaives are exact fucking same
>>
>>47895104
Allrigth. The character creation was kinda confusing me there, thanks.
>>
>>47895153
You forgot
>tridents are martial weapons, spears are simple weapons
>tridents don't benefit from spear mastery
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
Is there a background that'll give me Alchemist Supplies proficiency that isn't Guild Artisan?
>>
>>47895298
You can swap proficiencies to adjust a background to fit your character. Read the beginning of the background chapter
>>
>>47894277

I don't have it, sorry, but maybe you can Google-fu it now that you know about it.
>>
>>47895298
Folk Hero

You don't even have to follow backgrounds 100%, you know? They are customizable, you as long as you get proficiency in two skills, two languages, two tools, or a language and a tool. I don't think you DM would be completely against someone with the sage background, with the Alchemist specialty, having one language proficiency, and proficiency in alchemist supplies.
>>
>>47895067
See, the thing is that I'm very new to all of this. 5e is my first edition, and 1st tabletop RPG in general. So thanks a lot for pointing me to this set! Any idea where I can find a PDF of it?

>>47894900
Not sure if that would be very helpful, but I'll try.

>>47894994
Damn, I can't believe I forgot checking it...

Anyhow, thanks anons, I'm grateful. Being new to this and having to describe stuff in english (not my native language) is quite difficult, but I'm having lots of fun.
>>
>>47895153

>Control Flame lets you put out fire, or change the way it looks
>You can make fire too!
>but you need fuel
>and fire

That's what happens when you let M. Night Shyamalan design it.
>>
>>47895560
>But then the Fire Nation attacked.
>And the other benders were utterly unable to put out their fire sources, e.g. covering it in earth or dirt, bending the air away from the flames, splashing fucking water on them.

Damned be M. Night Shyamalan for ruining something with such potential.
>>
>>47895478
https://mega.nz/#!gI8kyBTA!QMdrr1_pCWaQVbgUdm0DV3E9Npa8fmjwOR2OGpelscc
>>
>>47894042
That's literally "C - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control".
>>
>>47895153
>silly things that don't really matter: the post
>>
>>47894436
Pact of the Gate sounds cool. Someone also mentioned a pact of the Doppelgänger, having a clone of yourself that is in the manner of your pact.
>>
>>47893999
Pact of the Moon: the immortal and primordial viewer of all in the night is the one who you pledge nefarious action to. no matter what you call your alignment all actions must return to evil or chaotic with harm intended to someone. while in return you are granted a dagger, this dagger can be a focus for a few magic spells that require negligible cost, the backstab at half of the multiplier of a rogue staring at level four, and the spell invisibility as level one with greater invisibility in darkness as a feat at level 5. the dagger is +1 at level 3 +2 at level 6 and +3 at level 10.

Idk it was off the top of my head mess it up how your dm allows
>>
>>47893920
Malleable illusions lets you reset a Mirror Image to 3 images, as long as one remains.
>>
>>47896162
Pacts are patron independent boons that you get at level three. Any patron can get any pact.

What you designed is a patron. And arbitrary alignment specific shit is yucko.
>>
Question for DMs. I'm going through the rulebook right now and it seems really bloated. Each race and class has their own rules, with 9 races and 12 classes and even more subraces how do you keep track of it all?
>>
>>47896307
Yes, but the main mechanics are simple, and everything has stuff in common. Besides, it's not like you have to deal with everything at once, usually you'll have at the most 6 players, so you just have to remember THEIR thing. And obviously, they have to help you remember it, they have to know how their race and class works. After you have discussed and cleared any doubts, the game works on a basis of mutual trust.
>>
>>47896307
You don't even know bloat unless you played the alternatives. GURPS/3.5pf/etc.

5e is super streamlined. Just reading through all the races and classes should really be enough to easily keep track of it all.

But even if you're seriously incapable of remember it all, you can limit what you need to know to whatever your players are playing. The players also should know themselves what they're doing. As long as they do and you can trust them you don't even need to know everything the class can do.
>>
>>47896446
I've actually played for GURPS than DnD, and 3.5/Pathfinder is hella bloat.
>>
>>47894272
Pact of the Scourge reminds me of the Gloom Pact Hexblade from 4e. It might be neat to have Pacts for the other pact weapons.
>>
File: 5e_OotA_Weapons_Derro-Weapons.png (502 KB, 547x477) Image search: [Google]
5e_OotA_Weapons_Derro-Weapons.png
502 KB, 547x477
Two questions about pic related:
1) Derro Hooked Spear:
Does this weapon make the Ranger a worthy support class? It kinda works very well for both archetypes:
Beastmaster
>halfling
>mounted combatant
>giant crab, mounted
>command crab to attack (and autograpple on a hit)
>use Extra Attack to trip the enemy prone
>can maintain two targets and have your party beat the snot out of them while they're prone and grappled

Hunter:
>attack with hooked spear to trip
>repeat on another enemy with extra attack
>repeat on another enemy with horde breaker
>after level 11, use whirlwind attack + hordebreaker to trip 3+ enemies at once
>they can't get up until their next turn so your party can go ham on them

2) Repeating crossbow:
Any reason to take this over a longbow if a longbow is an option?
>>
Need advice. I may be joining a game soon that has the following:
>Paladin
>Rogue
>Barbarian

They are level 10 and in desperate need of a spell caster. I have been considering Variant Human Artificer Wizard. Do you all think this will be sufficient to cover their gaps? Any spells you guys think are really necessary I HAVE to grab?
>>
Okay Anons, I have a question for you. I might be poking the hornets nest but regardless. I'm a dm in a princes of the apocalypse game and one of my players is starting a new character for the adventure and they want to play battle rager barbarian. I looked it over in the book and it seems to be a bit weak to me compared to totem/frenzied. Is it? or are my fears unfounded?
>>
Do you guys make character who do things more than just fight talk. My fighter knows some diplomacy tactics int and cha skills.
>>
>>47896722

They don't NEED a spell caster but if you want to play one there's no harm. Pretty much anything will do at this point, but something with reliable ranged damage seems like a good fit in such a melee heavy party.

Artificer is one on the lower end of Wizard schools, imo, but Wizard's spell casting is always pretty sweet. General rules apply, make sure not to get too many concentration spells and look for things that'll be good past their level. A spell like Sleep is great at the start but kinda crappy later on. Grease is a nice low level spell that'll always have some use, especially since it's concentration. Shield is a life saver. Wall of Force and Bigby's Hand are nice, in my opinion.
>>
Critical Role spoilers for last week's episode. Not really any big spoilers, just stuff that you should probably watch yourself.

Can I just say how awesome it was to have the Sun Tree basically voiced by Matthew McConaughey? And how a simple yet very cool spell like Speak with Plants made for such a great comedic moment? Gotta love DMs who are able to improv like that.
>>
>>47896812
>They don't NEED a spell caster but if you want to play one there's no harm.
They have said they need one.

What would you suggest for a stronger wizard school?
>>
>>47896887

Pretty much any of the others, I guess. Wizards doesn't even like the artificer, it's one of those archtypes they want to do "another pass" on.

I guess my personal favorites are Divination, Illusion, and Evocation (although the last one is much more of a "pet school"). Abjuration is pretty cool if you want to be tanky.
>>
>>47896717
>Any reason to take this over a longbow if a longbow is an option?
Crossbow Expert feat.
Dual-wielding hand crossbows.
Repeating crossbows are cool and the closest you'll get to a gun in most settings.
>>
>>47896741
Usually things added on after the player's handbook are a little underpowered, just so people don't feel like they NEED to get the new books or they won't be doing as well. I'm trying to recall the class specifics and I think he was just a smudge underpowered but it's not a big deal. That doesn't make it unviable.
>>
>>47896966
One of my thoughts on Artificer is it allows me limited personal healing, when coupled with the new Alchemist feat I can have a 40 healing potion for myself. I do not have much more than 40 hit points to begin with.
>>
>>47896887
Caster Druid
>>
>>47896783
Yup, my paladin is also the face, my Battlemaster is the muscle and half/face and a general handyman, and my cleric is also the comedy relief.
>>
>>47896887
Evocation is blasty, but less utility. Divination is probably the "best" becuase you get tons of control over roll results and rerolls, but is kinda meh for me. Transmutation is my favorite, and you can do some fun stuff with them. Illusion/Conjuration are also way up there in terms of having creative fun.
>>
>>47896978
The Sage Advise by the developers said Dual Handcrossbows don't worry cause you need a hand to load them, even with the feat.
>>
>>47897006
But the druid spell list is horse shit.
>>
>>47896978
>Dual-wielding hand crossbows.
How does that answer my question?
>>
>>47896978
>>47897058
Crossbow Expert works with one hand crossbow held anyway. Dual wielding would just be for looks, not functionality.
>>
>>47897069
Nah dawg
>>
>>47897002

What the hell's your con mod? I hope you didn't dump it. By level 10 with a +3 mod taking the average my wizard has 72 HP, so as long as you have a +2 or something you should still be at ~62.

Maybe you rolled for HP, which is a pretty shitty idea for a Wizard since 4 is in the upper echelon of results anyways of rolling anyways. Or your DM forced you too. Shame on him.

If you want to be tanky, go Abjuration and get dat temp HP. With Mage Armor, Shield, and Counterspell you should have decent AC (assuming you also didn't dump dex) and a nice buffer of refillable temp HP. Really though, you should be trying HARD to stay out of the damage zones.

Seriously though, how is your HP so low?
>>
>>47896722
That could do fine, but honestly an arcane cleric or lore bard might work better. Paladins healing ability is solid enough but not exactly very reliable when in critical danger. Both bard and cleric bring utility and healing and can stand behind the tanky front line you got to do ranged combat.
>>
>>47897147
No, I have 62 hp. The potion restores 2/3 of it.
>>
>>47897089
You can't dual wield a longbow. So that's a reason to take it.
>>
>>47896783
My goliath fighter loves to tell tales of his adventures and give performances. He is not the best at negotiations but he can size up the competition with the BM feature if need be.
>>
>>47897133

Crossbow Expert lets you dual wield hand crossbows?

I just checked it again, and it seems to check out. Why do I remember it not working?
>>
Rolled 70 (1d100)

>>47897205
Are you fucking illiterate? The crossbow I posted is two-handed.

rolling for your IQ
>>
>>47897249
No, it doesn't. But you can trigger the bonus action attack with a hand crossbow and use that same hand crossbow for the bonus action attack. That's functionally the same as dual wielding with the Two Weapon Fighting style.
>>
>>47897249
You can dual-wield hand-crossbows without Crossbow Expert just the same as you can dual-wield rapiers without Dual-Wielder.
>>
>>47897189

Oh. You mentioned "you don't have much more than 40 hp to begin with" which is REALLY shitty. 62 will be serviceable if you stay out of the melee.

Abjuration will shore up your defenses with temp HP, Illusion has a lot of nifty tricks for supporting a party, Evocation makes your blasting spells better and safer for your other team members, and Divination has one of the coolest level 2 features in the game. I don't remember the other abilities of the other schools but they're all not bad, check them out.
>>
Anyone else dislikes the few amount of elemental evocations for the Sorcerer? I find it very hard to make a Sorcerer focusing on one element.

For example they don't learn spells like Call Lightning. If I wanted to make an Ice based Sorc I would have to use the same 3 spells all the time. How do you even play an Acid Dragon Sorc?
>>
Question: Spells automatically hit unless the spell description specifically says you have to 'make a ranged spell attack' right? At which point you'd roll 1d20+spell attack modifier and compare to target AC?
>>
>>47897327
You grow past the age of 13 and realize that just because you're good at one element doesn't mean you should only cast blasting spells of that element. Haste, Hold Monster, Disintegrate, etc. don't stop being good just because you can add your CHA to certain spells.

Also use the EEPC/PotA spells.
>>
>>47897341
Yes, but in almost all cases they have to do a saving throw then to weaken the effect or avoid it completely. Sleep is one of the few exeptions for example.
>>
>>47896717
Well, as far as I can tell the main benefits would be that the crossbow is simple, and that it might benefit from crossbow feats more. Plus it seems really stylish. It's not like you lose much compared to a longbow except for range, and if you're a crossbow user and worried about range just carry a heavy one for sniping when you need it.
>>
>>47897354
You are right, but sometimes you just want to play a Sorcerer who can blast enemies and be the master of one element.

If I wanted utility why would I ever choose a Sorcerer and not a Wizard, who can also cast all your evocations and more.
>>
>>47897380
>it might benefit from crossbow feats more.
The reason I'm asking is because I can't really seem to imagine any real benefits with or without the feat. The feat turns the Light Crossbow into an improved Repeating Crossbow.
>>
>>47897327
I think the way to do it, assuming you wanted to go for the idea of 'dragon sorcerer only gets powers related to dragon type', is to fill in the space with other effects that fit dragons in general.

For example, if there's no Poison spell at a level for your Green Dragon sorcerer, pick up Fly so you can soar around, or Alter Self so you can grow Claws.

Elemental Evil helped out a bit with this though, though personally I think Fire is still the only one with a good amount of options for doing something thematic like that.
>>
Hey /tg/
I'm considering coming up with my own campaign for the very first time and I'm thinking of creating an over-arching theme. How does greed sound?
The spirit of greed plagues the kingdom as xorns raid dwarven mining caravans and humans trade with them. Mimics make their lairs in abandoned dungeons fraught with traps.
Humans seek to obtain the wealth of elves through their exotic agriculture. Their great unrest as they expand construction of their monarch's empire.

Is this theming going anywhere or is there nothing good I can make out of this?
>>
>>47896101
>>47894436
Pact of the Gate
Your patron grants you a Sanctum, a sliver of the realm over which it holds dominion. As an action you can open a 5 foot by 5 foot portal to an extradimensional space anywhere within 30 feet. This extradimensional space can hold up to 8 medium or smaller creatures. Attacks and spells cannot pass into or out of the portal but you can see into and out of it normally. The portal remains until you close it as an action or open another portal elsewhere. Closing the portal without opening a new entrance immediately drops anything inside out.
>>
>>47897568
Invocations:
Dread Demesne (prerequisite Pact of the Gate feature, level 8)
Your Sanctum now persists even when you close it.
When you dismiss your portal, items, spells effects, and willing creatures remain inside. Unwilling creatures still drop outside. If you close the portal while you are inside, it reopens in the same location on the same plane you closed it at.
Furthermore, you may alter one feature of your Sanctum as described below. You may change this selection as a bonus action.
-Altered Timestream: Time passes twice as fast or half as fast within the Sanctum. Creatures within the Sanctum are treated as being under the effect of the Haste or Slow spell respectively.
-Energy Affinity: Choose a damage type from Fire, Cold, Necrotic, Lightning, Sonic, or Force. All damage of the chosen type is increased by 1d8 within the Sanctum.
-Gravitational Shift: All ceatures within your Sanctum gain a Fly speed equal to their movement speed or lose all flying speeds and have their movement speed reduced by half.
>>
>>47897586

Otherworldly Manifestation (prerequisite Pact of the Gate feature, level 15)
You can now impose your personal realms upon the real world as an action. Pick an unoccupied space. Your realm expands in a 50 foot radius sphere centered on that point. Any open portals to your Sanctum immediately close. Creatures and objects inside are distributed into the nearest unoccupied space to the center of your sphere. Once you have used this ability you cannot Manifest your realm again until you have complete a long rest. While creatures are within your realm, you may take one of the following actions each turn as a lair action at initiative count 10. You may not use the same action twice in a row.
-You teleport from any location within your realm to any other location within your realm. You may spend your reaction to make a single weapon attack against any creature in range before or after you teleport.
-A creature within your realm is assaulted by the otherworldly nature of your Sanctum. The target must make a Dexterity saving throw or be grappled and take 1d8 Force damsge. The target continues to take 1d8 Force damage each turn it is grappled. A Strength save ends this effect.
-Target ally gains advantage on their next attack roll, save, or ability check.
>>
>>47897547
Seems like it could be an interesting idea, though it's almost the standard for D&D. Mimics eating the greedy, Dragons hording money, merchants trading to amass vast sums.

I think it'd work better if you made it more clear that greed was the villain, and showed how it was tearing people apart. Maybe some sort of demon lord of greed is corrupting the land. Random shopkeeps charge outrageous prices. People get in fist fights over minor amounts of money. Revolutions are brewing because the king has raised his greedy taxes on a greedy populace.
>>
>>47897586
Shit. Remove force, add radiant for damage affinities. Want to avoid Eldritch blast shenanigans. Although hex still works. Also need to avoid making the Manifest damage more powerful.
>>
Is it anywhere mentioned what race Strahd belonged to before becoming a vampire? In some pictures he looks human, but in others his ears are pointy suggesting he was once a elf or half elf. Couldn't find anything on this.
>>
>>47898047
I always thought he was human, just the pointy ears being a side effect of being a vampire
>>
>>47898047
He was human.
>>
>>47897412
You want a fire sorcerer then. 3 types give fire at least. Brass dragons have fun lore to play with.
>>
>>47897412
Sorcerers get metamagic so they blast single targets better, for starters.
>>
>>47897618
That's a pretty solid idea. I think I'm going to work more on it by using that suggestion as a major plot point.
>>
>>47897454
You can take it a step further and roleplay your elements into your spells. A cold sorcerer casts Blindness by freezing the tears in a creature's eyes. A lightning sorcerer paralyzes a creature with Hold Monster using an overwhelming shock. A poison sorcerer uses hallucinatory gases to cast Hypnotic Pattern.
>>
>>47897830
>want to avoid eldritch blast shenanigans

Why?
>>
>>47895153
>>Every single damage Cantrip has scaling
>>Except Magic Stone, which requires one action to cast, and another to attack, and it deals 1d6 plus your spellcasting ability modifier, with a range of sixty feat, and requires ammunition, and has concentration
Not concentration. Is like shillelagh. No idea where someone else attacking with them fits in.
>>
>>47898450
I think they should have at least made it scale up so it affects additional stones. That way you wouldn't have to pause to cast it again as often.
>>
>>47897341
autohit (rare)
saving throw (hits, they save, save may be a "miss")
ranged spell attack (roll to hit)
>>
>>47896887
The artificer subschool is fine, really. It has some quite powerful potion options, and the weapon or armor boost is like having another concentration slot too. It just isn't artificer:the class. It's generalist wizard.
>>
>>47898380
Because an extra 4d8 on a Cantrips without spending any resource is bad, even if it does require luring something into your Sanctum or Manifesting it. With Hex at least it costs one of their limited spell slots and since it can improve Necrotic damage can still work to the same effect as long as you are spending a resource to do it.
>>
>>47898652
>tricking enemies into an obvious and highly situational trap being rewarded with extra damage is bad

No. If it didn't require you to trick enemies and instead was just a straight up buff, you would have a point. As it stands, you don't.
>>
>>47897058
>Repeating crossbows

>>47897133
I know, but it's cool. You can also dual wield rapier and hand crossbow, since Crossbow Expert overrides the general rules requiring light weapons.

>>47897089
More attacks. If you're a martial with Extra Attack, you can attack twice with a longbow for 2d8+10, if you dual wield hand crossbows you can make a third offhand attack with your bonus action, for 3d6+10. It works even better with damage bonuses such as Hunter's Mark, Hex, or Sharpshooter, since they apply to each attack. Crossbow Expert allows you to go further and add your Dex mod to damage on the bonus action attack, plus some other nice benefits.
>>
>>47896594
Why? It's literally worse Pact of the Blade
>>
>>47898565
what about touch attack spells
>>
>>47899312
Same as ranged attack spells, except in melee.
>>
>>47899312
i guess i shuld have said spell attack, not ranged spell attack, since its the same roll
>>
>>47899403

Melee/Ranged Spell Attack, I guess.
>>
>>47899403
well they do have some fundamental differences.
the primary being that ranged spell attacks have disadvantage if you have an enemy within 5 ft of you when casting
>>
>>47898889
Maybe. It might work better to just make it an easier to spring trap or even reduce the portal opening to a bonus action but I already feel like it is almost too powerful for a pact to begin with. All the warlock pacts are useful in some way but this already offers a lot of utility with an infinite demiplane.
>>
File: smile dog.gif (310 KB, 172x192) Image search: [Google]
smile dog.gif
310 KB, 172x192
Because my players (Druid, Warrior, Wizard) have been good little heroes, they have acquired a decently-sized entourage of allies (Cleric, Rogue, Warlock). At level 14 (13 for wizard), this has basically thrown any sense of danger out the window most of the time, as well as slowing combat down considerably.

I don't like the idea of punishing the players for their good behavior and taking away their companions, but at the same time, I would like to "borrow" them for a little while, just a few segments of the dungeon at a time, so that combat can be more engrossing and fast-paced.
How would I go about this without being a railroading jackass?

gif unrelated.
>>
>>47899107
>How does that answer [the question: why does the repeating crossbow exist/why is it useful]?
>More attacks. If you're a martial with Extra Attack, you can attack twice with a longbow for 2d8+10, if you dual wield hand crossbows you can make a third offhand attack with your bonus action, for 3d6+10. [irrelevant shit about hunter's mark and hex]. Crossbow Expert allows you to go further and add your Dex mod to damage on the bonus action attack, plus some other nice benefits.

Why the fuck are you bringing hand-crossbows into this? I seriously want to understand how you honestly believe you are addressing my query when I made mention of neither hand-crossbows nor crossbow expert.

Beside the fact, you're wrong anyway. You can't daul-wield hand-crossbows because they are not repeating crossbows. Dual-wielding hand-crossbows makes just as much sense as dual-wielding bolt-action rifles. You can dual wield them all day if you fancy, but you can only fire one round from each before you need to activate the bolt to put the next bullet in the chamber. Unless you have a third arm or very very dexterous toes, you need to drop one of the weapons to do this.

Please fucking explain yourself, I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt here but I think you may be partially illiterate.
>>
>>47897276
Shit, I'm stupid. I'm not even the anon you responded to, I'm the one who originally suggested dual wielding hand crossbows. I have already read that excerpt from OotA and for some reason my mind just assumed the crossbows in question were hand, not light. Well, one thing it does is it allows a martial character to use their Extra Attack with a crossbow. Also, many classes have proficiency with simple weapons, which this is a part of, but not with martial weapons, which a longbow is a part of. For example, a non-elf rogue can't use a longbow effectively, the light crossbow is their most damaging ranged option. But yeah, now I'm not so sure about it.

The loading property is confusing. Does it mean you can only attack with the crossbow once and then do nothing else with your turn except move, or does it only restrict things like Extra Attacks?
>>
>>47899526

The allies are just NPCs right? They have their own shit to do too, they're not bound to the PCs. Just have them need to do their own shit for a while.

>>47899539

You can't dual wield them but AFAIK you can wield just one and benefit from the extra attack from Xbow master.
>>
>>47899559
>does it only restrict things like Extra Attacks?
yes
>>
>>47899584
The issue is that I've kind of written myself into a corner on that regard. Cleric and Warlock are exiled from the homeland, Rogue hired the players to assassinate the bbeg, and the entire party is weeks away from the nearest pocket of civilization.
I don't have any real issue with having the party fight as one (I'm not trying to win against my players, we all have the same goal), I just want to throw a few obstacles in their path every now and then to keep things interesting.
>>
>>47899539
Also you are wrong about the third off-hand bonus action attack. You can't make a bonus action attack with a hand-crossbow without the feat. This part is actually confusing as fuck so it's more understandable to misinterpret:
>a bonus action can be used to make a melee attack with an off-hand weapon (only adding the ability modifier if it is negative)
>both weapons need to be from the Melee Weapons lists have the light property
>if either of the weapons has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon instead of performing a melee attack

For example:
>two daggers
>two shortswords
>a shortsword and a hand-axe

It sounds like it would allow weapons from the Ranged Weapons lists if they have the thrown property but after writing this post and scrutinizing pic related, I believe the intended and literally interpreted as written rule is only from the Melee lists. Which is dumb. Why give the hand-crossbow the light property if the light property only exists in order to facilitate the TWF rules and the TWF rules ONLY apply to weapons from the Melee Weapons lists? Also if I can throw a dagger at some nigger after I slap his face with the edge of a scimitar, why can't I throw a dart at some nigger after I slap his face with a scimitar? It makes absolutely no sense and damn I bet this post has ended up incoherent as fuck but at least I didn't backspace while I was out of the text-entry box and lose it all.
>>
>>47893999
Right now, I'm working on three.

Crystalhost: You impale a sentient, magic gem into your flesh that slowly spreads and takes over.

Fatespinner: Pact with a powerful entity bound to date or time, granting limited ability to warp fate.

Blackest: Sell your eyes in exchange for greater power and great senses.

All rough, but they might help inspire something.
>>
>>47899694

Then have them be separated by something for a session or two. Maybe in the wake of a natural disaster of some sort the party gets split into two groups for a little bit.
>>
What does /tg/ think of the College of Fey bard?

http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/04/fey-bard.html

I really want to play up the "trickery" fantasy/ magic monkey/ Kharma Houdini element of my character, and I'm really undecided between this or Lore

Fey has a lot of the flavor I want, but I feel like I can build something similar with Lore that probably makes for a more sensible game
>>
What happens if you make an illusion of a hole real?

Is a level 14 illusionist literally bugs bunny?
>>
>>47893999

I remember someone working on a Witch Doctor pact
>>
So, a thought.

They may have tried to fold the Hexblade back into Warlock and the Artificer into a Wizard Tradition...but I'm noticing a lack of something in 5E.

A lack of an arcane class doing the same duty as the Paladin and Ranger do with the divine.

How far out of the mechanics would it be to make a class with progression to 5th level spells and martial leanings (other than the Warlock and its eventual full caster chassis) to cover the ideas of the Hexblade and Duskblade in ways the Eldritch Knight and Bladesinger don't?

Hell, would that kind of martial leaning class with 5th level spells be a better fit for the Artificer's fluff than what we got in the Eberron Playtest document?
>>
>>47900040

I remember someone asking about this."Illusion a door on a wall, would the door lead to the other side of the wall"? type of the deal

The answer was no. Door becomes real, on the other side, there's wall

Though I guess it comes down to your DM
>>
>>47900028
It looks simultaneously underpowered and overpowered at level 14. There is practically no reason to not have conjure fey with that feature.

5 free instant casts of a sixth level spell? Yes please.
>>
>>47899526
What the other anon said. And, if you want to be nice, maybe one or some of the NPCs suggest they could have some kind of adventuring partnership. This is more feasible if the NPCs are more or less employed by the PCs, then they can go fuck off on some other adventure and maybe come back with lots of treasure and maybe cool loot. They are high level, they can think big! They could have strongholds by now, perhaps even titles. The Cleric could oversee the common folk in their lands. The rogue could help set up a thieves' guild of their own! If that would conflict with their morals, then perhaps he could set up some kind of investigation office or whatever. Have them work for the PCs, off-screen.
>>
>>47900086
They spellblade style gish is pretty well represented between Arcane Trickster, Eldrich Knight, Valor Bard, and Bladesinger Wizard. None hit that exact mark of 50/50 split though although I would say Paladin and Ranger are more martial than caster even with lvl5 spells.
>>
>>47900101
Illusion is already capable of removing matter. Look at mirage arcane. I think this works, both door and hole varieties
>>
>>47899793
Because ranged attacks at adjacent enemies prompt AoO
>>
File: where do you think we are boss.jpg (221 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are boss.jpg
221 KB, 700x525
>>47900189
>Because ranged attacks at adjacent enemies prompt AoO
>>
>>47893059
That sounds like a problem for the DM to figure out. It's his job to make sure everyone gets to have fun.
>>
What's a good enough free map making tool? I'm starting a campaign and want to be as fancy as I can in preparation.
>>
>>47900334

might i humbly suggest the cartographer's tools
>>
File: Lautumai.jpg (793 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Lautumai.jpg
793 KB, 1024x768
>>47900334
Inkarnate serves purposes for the most part. One of my players made this, and even if it's a second-hand job it looks nice enough.

>>47900390
u a cheeky shit m8 But I smirked.
>>
>>47900167
I still want to tackle it as a thought exercise.

Hmmm, where to start.

So two classes.

One to cover fight mage, Perhaps calling it Swordmage as the 4E class, d10 hit die, Extra attack, 5th level spells, and 3 subclasses Arcane Archer (Elf magic archery returns, setting & species specific like Batterager and Bladesinger), Hexblade (plays with luck, advantage, and leadership like abilities), and Duskblade (dealing with misdirection and movement). All three deal with imbuing magic into strikes to some capacity. Lightly armored. Martial prof.

Next to cover the Artificer. d8, simple proficiency, medium armor. Psuedo spells and Ritual Casting & Magic Item Formula Acquisition. Revising the play test idea of investing spells into temporary magic items. Subclasses include some kind of Warsmith (Extra attack and longer magic weapon abilities) and Alchemist (potions potions potions incendiaries) and Magewright (hedge magic and more versatile casting and cheaper production of quality mundane goods?)
>>
Can a creature that fits into 1 inch small holes like the Shadow for example go through other creatures spaces, to maybe skip the frontline and attack the backline?

It would definitely make sense, but I'm unsure about the rules, because unless stated otherwise you can't enter the space of enemy creatures.
>>
What is a good name for the leader of an adventurer guild
>>
>>47900825
Husky Horace
>>
>>47900825
Big McLargeHuge
>>
>>47899584
>You can't dual wield them but AFAIK you can wield just one and benefit from the extra attack from Xbow master.
You are correct, a character with Crossbow Expert who wields a hand-crossbow with his main hand and keeps his off-hand free can fire it as many times as his action permits and then additionally fire it as a bonus action.

>>47899559
I figured you might have thought that the repeating crossbow was a hand crossbow that autoloads rather than a light crossbow that autoloads, but you never mentioned the term "repeating crossbow" so I didn't want to assume. And yes, I'm aware that a character may not have proficiency with the longbow and hence would benefit from the repeating crossbow had they proficiency with it, however, my original question was under the parameter that a character could properly utilize both. I just want to know if there is any utility it has that the longbow does not have. Because while, yeah, a fighter can fire it as many times as his attack action permits (which a regular crossbow would prevent due to the loading property), he would be better off using the longbow because the repeating crossbow still needs to be reloaded after the magazine is expended.
>>
>>47900824
I let shadows occupy the same space as each other, and other creatures. It made combat more fun/dangerous, so I would recommend it.
>>
>>47900920
I just noticed a reason. Longbows are Heavy, while the repeating crossbow would not be. That means a Small character could use it without penalty.

These are all minor benefits, but I'm not sure how much justification you need for this thing to exist.
>>
Is mirage arcane the most broken non wish spell? It sure as heck seems like it raw.

>cast it
>create bottomless pit under army
>trivialize any encounter
>>
>>47899559
The loading property, yeah, it's confusing. I'll use an example to explain:
Fighter with Extra Attack (3) and Action Surge:
>Uses his Standard Action to make the Attack action with a "loading" weapon
>the weapon is now in the "unloaded" state
>his Extra Attack (3) feature dictates that taking the Attack action entitles him to make three additional attacks on his turn
>he cannot use an "unloaded" weapon to make those additional attacks because those additional attacks are imparted by the same action
>when the fighter finishes all the attacks imparted by the Attack action and the additional attacks granted by Extra Attack (3), the crossbow is no longer "unloaded" because the action that was used to fire it has ended
>the fighter uses his Action Surge: this gives him an additional Standard Action
>this addition Standard Action is distinct from the Standard Action that he used earlier - let's call it the Surge Action
>since the Surge Action is distinct from the Standard Action, the crossbow's limitation is no longer imposed
>the fighter uses his Surge Action to take the Attack action and fire the crossbow
>the crossbow is now "unloaded"
>the fighter is entitled to three extra attacks as per Extra Attack, however now that the crossbow was unloaded using an action, and those extra attacks are part of the same action, he can not use those attacks to fire from the crossbow

Make sense?
>>
Am I insane for thinking of having 10 PCs?
>>
>>47901036
yes but god bless
>>
>>47901036
Make sure everyone is okay with 1-2 hour turns. I was on roll20 with a group where everyone had pet characters. The turns took forever to the point where I just watched YouTube videos as I waited for initiative to come to me and do my turn.
>>
Does malleable illusions work with simulacrum?
>>
>>47900825
The leader is known only by their nickname, "Noble."

The nickname is ironic.
>>
>>47901028
It takes 10 minutes to cast so if you are surprised it is unusable, but yeah creativity is the most dangerous killer. Oh and it can't be bottomless only a mile deep.
>>
>>47901028
I don't know if that works. It says the terrain keeps its general shape, that you can add or remove structures, and that it can create or remove difficult terrain.

I think it's fairly limited by the examples given that you can turn a stretch of landscape into another type of landscape, but it's still going to be a landscape. You could turn a city into a swamp, but you can't turn a flat plain into a canyon and drop people in.
>>
What's a good character for "Earth based" powers? I'm thinking Druid, yes, I mean "earth" as in "Earth elementals", not "nature" and fey shit.
>>
what are devils supposed to think of far realm entities?
>>
>>47901159
Yeah an Earth Genasi Druid, or a hill dwarf.
>>
>>47901159

golden/red dragon sorcerer

fluff the fire as magma and stuff (there's spells that already do this and all of them can easily do it too)

sorcerers get most of the good elemental evil earth spells IIRC
>>
>>47901159
Druid, or work on converting over the geomancer class from FF Tactics
>>
>>47900825
Tonk Groundwhisper
>>
>>47901159
I think the best things to pick up are Move Earth and Earth Tremor, though I forget if those are Druid spells or if they're on the more Arcane classes.

Magic Stone could also be a good fit. 4 Elements monk could have some stuff, but they're kind of meh.
>>
>>47900995
Ah, thank-you! I was hoping there was something and that's pretty damn significant (especially considering that they are derro weapons).
>>
>>47901235
Magic stone is by far the most useless cantrip in the game.
>>
>>47900189
>Why give the hand-crossbow the light property if the light property only exists in order to facilitate the TWF rules and the TWF rules ONLY apply to weapons from the Melee Weapons lists?
>Because ranged attacks at adjacent enemies prompt AoO

What.
>>
>>47901036
I've done this before. In addition to the problem of long combat expect players to step on the toes of each others roles a lot. This is fine if everyone can be mature adults about it but if everyone wants a chance at the spotlight some will feel shafted.
>>
>>47901036
Chi Gore, the Mountain that Walks.
>>
>>47901355
Woops, wrong anon.
Meant that for >>47900825
Sorry, wasn't paying attention.
>>
>>47901279
>Magic stone is by far the most useless cantrip in the game.
If used as suggested, yeah.
>Catapult the stones for 3d8 magic damage
>Conjure Barrage, Conjure Volley, Fire Arrows
>>
>>47901029
You're stretching this bullshit way too far, and there is no such thing as a "surge action', just an additional action on your turn from the Action Surge ability.
>Fighter uses Attack action with light crossbow
>The Loading property only allows one shot, weapon is reloaded due to Ammunition property
>Action surge for an additional action
>The Loading property only allows one shot, weapon is reloaded due to Ammunition property

>Alternatively, Crossbow Expert allows you to ignore the Loading property and fire as many as your Extra Attack allows
>>
So 5eg I have a bit of a problem. Basically my fighter is useless in the current campaign im in due to a couple of things.

> There is only really one encounter per session and at the start of every new session we are fully healed and rested.
> Party is steeped in magic items so combat is a breeze.

> Highlights: Monk is rocking 30 strength, Paladin has some werid +5 ball and chain thing that enchances his smites, Bard is rocking a +6 katana that let's him turn into a dragon, My fighter is wielding a similar item Dragon form works once per long res

> Party Cleric is literally a Demi-God so he gets a couple of reality rewrite points.... So yeah cant really compete with that
> Party has a cubic gate so travel is piss easy
> Party has a Bard and Rogue so skill challenges are not at all. Hell to add to the power the GM houseruled that proficiency also gives advantage.
> Backstories have come up exactly once... as a series of jokes.
> Party is so rich that they can literally just buy every item in the DMG or just hire the forces to take it.

So should I just leave? I mean I feel there is really nothing left to accomplish.

But at the same time these folks are my friends and they dont seem to be having any problems. Plus it's the only game in town outside of public games which tend to attract the most horrid of folks.

What am I to do 5eg?
>>
>>47900825
King
Bishop
Rook
Jack
Ace
Solomon
Aleph
Adolfus
Grigori
Malachi
Amadeus
Wilson
Soldat
Krieger
>>
>>47901440

uh

what do you even do in the game
>>
>>47901440
If you guys are playing a cosmic level campaign then you need enemies suiting to the occasion. Also, having a hugbox DM sucks but maybe you should just talk to your friends about it. Its not like you have to stop playing of they don't see the problem.
>>
File: 1460872725949.png (35 KB, 543x659) Image search: [Google]
1460872725949.png
35 KB, 543x659
>>47901440
It seems like you're in a game that's too high a power level for 5e to properly represent. It's not meant to accommodate +6 weapons and demigods. If you wish to continue, perhaps find a new system more adequate to your group's needs.
Or have your DM brew epic level stuff that's actually satisfying for everybody. If you're going to homebrew the cleric becoming a demigod and rewriting reality and STILL BEING A MEMBER OF THE PARTY, everyone else, martial or caster, better have comparable tricks.
>>
>>47901422
>"I can not read"

From my post:
>the fighter uses his Action Surge: this gives him an additional Standard Action
>this addition Standard Action is distinct from the Standard Action that he used earlier - let's call it the Surge Action
>let's call it the Surge Action
>call it .. Surge Action
>call
Do you see the word "equivalate" anywhere in my post? Nah, I didn't either. It's almost as if I suggested "calling" the extra action a "Surge Action" so as to discuss it without ambiguity!

Congratulations you made a dumbed down version of the explanation I made. And you explained that Xbow Expert negates the explanation. No fucking shit considering that the explanation was "How the Loading property works" and the feat "[ignores] the Loading property".

Fucking 5-Star Post, my nigga, have your (You)
>>
>>47901479
Currently? Fuck if I know. Last session we were on a quest from a love goddess to kill an ancient gold dragon. He didnt even do anything so we just let him be. Plus Dm reveled if we tried to fight him he would have blasted our asses.

The big meta plot is us following these 100 treasure maps. Which so far the said treasures would be great if we were not already steeped in money and items and soon armies.
>>
>>47901440

At this point why are you even adventuring?
>>
>>47901558
From what I can get it's because the group has really taken to the whole Murderhobo/Dire-person (their term not mine) mentality that you just never stop adventuring, plus I think some of them still want to at least attempt to try to flesh out and settle their backstories
>>
>>47901556
I think your GM has watched too much one piece.
>>
>>47901605
Funny enough he is actually a HUGE fan of One Piece. But this all came about from a homebrewed "What happens to the party table"
>>
File: 1464971215058.png (210 KB, 579x399) Image search: [Google]
1464971215058.png
210 KB, 579x399
>>47901535
I concede, I looked back and, in fact, cannot read. I missed the last line of your original greentext, and thought that by saying "since the Surge Action is distinct from the Standard Action, the crossbow's limitation is no longer imposed" you were implying that the Loading property does not apply to Action Surge actions.
However I did manage to explain it in half the space
>>
>>47901440
If you are not having fun, then leave. Simple as that.
>>
>>47901615
Oh. So this is a deck of many things type scenario. Or Rod of Wonder

Well, this is why everyone always says they ruined campaigns.
>>
>>47901789
Yep. We actually got 2 of the fucking things. The party table is a thing the DM rolls whenever the party is traveling weather it be just through a town or country side. At first it was kind of cool, but sometimes it just produces duds or other crap.
>>
>>47892747
You're the non-caster in a party of casters. There's your problem. That and you probably need a better group. If you've got friends that refuse to round out the party, they're shit.
>>
File: wrathoftheimmortals.png (1 MB, 756x657) Image search: [Google]
wrathoftheimmortals.png
1 MB, 756x657
>>47901440
Your DM needs to read Wrath of the Immortals, turn all of you into demigods, and promptly hamstring all of your powers while you go around solving political intrigue shit by proxy via influencing normal mortals (who your party plays).

Essentially, end that garbage can of a campaign, start over with some Joe Schmoes somewhere under level 10, and fill it with callbacks and references to your last campaign's characters.

That, or bounce.
>>
>>47900824
a number of creatures specifically say they can ignore/go through creature spaces because of size
if you're that worried about it, maybe give them a disadvantage because they dont have full room to "expand" and attack, or give an opportunity attack
>>
>>47900825
Huge Hands Hans
>>
>>47901159
any race that would logically live underground in one form or another
"earth" dragonborn (though most all dragons live in caves either way), halflings, gnomes, and dwarves
>>
Is Sword Coast Legends even remotely good enough to consider playing?
>>
>>47902219
From what I hear not really. If you are in the mood for isometric RPG try Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, or Divinity Original Sin
>>
Anyone familiar with Curse of Strahd? I have no idea what to do with Rictavio. I'm going to have him run out of town and maybe tell the party to go to his tower but then the book says nothing about if he's in the tower or not...
>>
>>47902219
It flopped so badly that the studio handling it was shut down/is shutting down.
>>
>>47902504
Wasn't it the Warframe guys?
>>
>>47902520
Those were the publishers. n-Space were the devs, who previously did COD ports to the DS and a bunch of shit games based on movies and cartoons.

They went belly-up in March.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-21+at+11.55.26).jpg (72 KB, 488x642) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-21+at+11.55.26).jpg
72 KB, 488x642
Would Luck be a reasonable mechanic, either as a stat of its own or as some kind of resource like Sanity or Wealth in some systems? When/how might it be used?
Alternatively, what stat could best be used to represent dumb luck?
>>
>>47902546
Well, ain't that a shame. I was hoping for a minor fix of FR RPG, since Icewind Dale has decided to make itself irritating today.
>>
>>47902622
The devs that maintain Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are hiring people for a new project (talked about on multiple D&D folks' Twitters) so who knows, maybe a new proper CRPG is in the works.
>>
>>47902593

Just do "Hero Dice". You can roll a d6 and add the result to a d20 roll you make. Get a limited amount of uses per short/long rest.
>>
>>47902655
All I want is a decent pace of dungeon crawling to town stuff, as well as a world that doesn't feel like the theme park version of itself. If that can be managed I can live a happy life.

I really just want to tide myself over for my Strahd game, which doesn't run often enough but it's 10/10 fun.
>>
File: put your cat down.jpg (72 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
put your cat down.jpg
72 KB, 720x720
>>47902593
All characters have luck. It's called the d20.
>>
/5eg/ I want to make shitty changes to frenzy.

Aside from the obvious problems, I do not like Frenzy because I feel it concentrates on the wrong aspects of "frenzying". Currently, its centered around "Hack and Slash in abundance" and the tiredness that would result from that. I instead want to concentrate on the aspects of "prioritize attack at the expense of personal safety" as well as "mindless rage one loses themselves in"

Barbarians already have a "prioritize attack" mechanic in the form of Reckless Attack. so Ill reuse that.

So Here is how it looks:
"Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. If you do so, whenever you choose to attack recklessly and are in a frenzy, you can take an additional attack with a melee weapon using Strength at the end of your Attack action. This additional attack does not gain advantage due to your Reckless Attack ability.
If your frenzy would end early as by using a bonus action or not causing or receiving damage by the end of a turn, you must attempt a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw. Failure on this saving throw will result in the frenzy not ending. On your next turn, you will be compelled to move up to your movement speed to within 5 feet of the nearest hostile conscious enemy and use an Attack action targeted against it. If you can not reach an enemy with your movement speed, you must move your full movement speed and use a Dash action to attempt reach closest conscious enemy you know the location of. If you do not know the location of any conscious enemies, you may use your movement as you will, but as an action must make perception skill checks with advantage to determine where other hostile entities may be. At the end of each turn you may attempt another Wisdom saving throw. A success on the save throw ends your frenzy.
Frenzy will end if you are knocked unconscious or if 1 minute passes from when the Frenzy started."

So what do you think? Overpowered? Stupid? Just use Bear?
>>
>>47902739
Well that came out formatted like dick-cheese
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.