[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: New Hotness Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
File: perkins mad shade.png (26 KB, 577x233) Image search: [Google]
perkins mad shade.png
26 KB, 577x233
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

>Old and Busted
>>47869762

What's the best magic item you've given to your players/found as a player?
>>
>>47881751
What would be a fun mount for my palalaladingdong's found steed? My DM is pretty reasonable to player requests but I'm not going to (nor do I want to) pull a dragon out of nowhere.
>>
>>47881793
My player always rides a Giant Spider.
>>
>>47881793
Mastiffs are fun
>>
>>47881793
What kind of paladin?

It's hard to pass up an appropriately-themed warhorse. Sterling white for devotion or black and ominous for vengeance, though I'd always go with an elk for Ancients.
>>
>>47881806
>my player

You in straya, cunt?
>>
>>47881793
Big motherfucking Horse.
Like, trample people into the DIRT sized Horse.
>>
>>47881751
The best magic item I have received is a rod of the pact keeper +2 in the OotA game in playing in.
>>
>>47881793
A dire wolf with the stats of a worg.
>>
>>47881793
Oh man I'm going through the same struggle right now. I always wanted an elk to fit my fey/beauty loving devotion paladin, but their stays are literally worse than a draft horse.

I think a giant owl would be neat but having a flying mount at level 5 or whatever is ridiculously broken and no GM should consider it.
>>
Reposting cause I am concerned about the balance.

Path of the Shark:

Level 3: Bite - While raging, can use a bonus action to make a melee weapon attack, with proficiency. The damage is d4+ Str piercing, and rage damage. (Optional, d4 scales with levels, ending at 4d4)

Level 6: Predator of the Deep. Can breathe underwater, gain a swim speed equal to movement speed, and has advantage on Survival checks meant to track an injured creature.

Level 14: Frenzy of the Predator: When your bite attack causes damage you gain a thirst for blood. For the rest of your rage, bite attacks are made with advantage.

Not sure about the last one, but it could be good.
>>
>>47881751
Dwarven Bard Brewmaster tracked down ancient ale recipe that was scribed in runes on the shell of a living, giant turtle. That turtle was a part of the recipe, once the recipe was complete and the ale given to the turtle, it transformed into a figurine of wondrous power.
It could be ridden, it could be used to produce a shield, and it could be used to fight.
>>
>>47881751
The best magic items are the ones with great and interesting effects but serious detriments that make you question using it along with potential for utility.
>>
Does anyone have any good ideas for the "I hide a truly scandalous secret that could ruin my family forever" character flaw?
>>
>>47881942
You're gay.
>>
Reposting: So I'm running Death House soon and the party consists of a War Cleric, Ranger, Fighter and an Undying Warlock.

The Fighter and the cleric use shields but the Warlock doesn't have eldritch blast and intents to go pact of blade.

How fucked are they?
>>
Anyone ever had any success using Warding Bond?
>>
>>47881942
Your family waifu is trash
>>
>>47881942

Born from an affair seems like an easy flaw from a noble family. Especially an obnoxious preachy family who won't shut up about traditional morals.
>>
>>47881873
Lv. 3 - Kind of a better version of frenzy barbarian I guess, but most people consider that to suck.
It doesn't work with reckless attack so well because reckless attack only applies once a turn, so I guess there's that at least.
Lv. 6 - Interesting. I think it should rather be 'Breathe underwater for X minutes' such as 'your constitution score in minutes' though, or else your barbarian will become a merperson because of their spirit animal.
The survival check is pretty interesting, I think it should be extended to 'any escaping creature' though if possible. That said, 'injured creature' sounds more fiting.
Lv. 14 - I don't really like how this works. You have to hit to be able to hit more. That said, it might mean players would use reckless attack to make sure they hit their bite.
However, this ability is more of a damage/hit buff when the other lv. 14 things are tactical things like forcing enemies to attack you or being able to fly in short bursts, and they don't work with earlier abilities.
I'd suggest for the level 14 skill to think of something tactical that could be used in interesting ways, i.e. being able to latch onto someone to prevent them escaping with something grapple-like. Probably something else as wolf knocks prone as a bonus action, and prone can prevent escape.
>>
Oh cool. Fresh thread.

Got a problem here. I'm noticing some tension between two players. I'm a player two. P1 is some sort of crazy build with arcane trickster levels, conjuration wizard levels, and pact of the chain warlock levels.

He's playing like a magician type of guy, always has a gadget, trick, or spell up his sleeve. He's kind of blown through a lot of skill challenges by pulling explosions out of nowhere (dm assures us it's all legit, and it's pretty cool so I'm okay with it too)

P2 is a straight berserker barbarian. Pretty simple character, but he's a good meat shield.

Anyways the barbarian player just yelled IRL at the other player to hurry up with his turn. Nobody else thought he was taking a long time. Any idea what could be causing this tension?
>>
So I'm thinking of making a moon druid in the near future. I was originally going to just make it a wood elf or something standard but then I got inspired to make it a tiefling instead. Since most of the moon druid's power comes from the animal forms anyways, could this be viable in a serious and deadly game, or would it end up underpowered?
>>
>>47881942
Not that hard if your family is posh nobility. A member of the family is illegetimate, they fund or are funded by criminal elements, your souls are all owned by a fiend because your ancestor traded them away for power, etc.
>>
>>47881942

Gnolls in disguise.
>>
>>47881968
Well in general they should do fine depending on how wisely they play both in and out of combat, but honestly them having a cleric helps so much.

However, they will most definitely lose at least one party member to the curse unless they are both smart and lucky.
>>
>>47882041
I mean without knowing any of the players no one can really help much. Maybe the barbarian had a shitty day at work or was just pissed off at not being as useful as the other dude. Just talk to him like a normal person and ask whats up
>>
File: basilisk.jpg (182 KB, 1144x861) Image search: [Google]
basilisk.jpg
182 KB, 1144x861
>>47881793

A basilisk.
>>
>>47882036
>reckless attack only applies once a turn
Look it up idiot, it's for all str based attacks for the rest of your turn
You have to use it on your first attack so your point about the limited usuage of reckless attack is wrong
That being said, make the 14th ability something any barbarian could use, because of how the rules work you can mix and match animal totems and the 14th level thing would be useless on anything that wasn't 3rd level shark
>>
>>47881942

Incest runs rampant in the family.
>>
>>47882128
What curse do you mean? Do you mean the ghosts possessing them?
>>
>>47881806
Ha, first response is something my DM would actually probably not allow thanks to a phobia. Great answer though, that would be amazing for dungeons.

>>47881814
Wait that's actually the breed of dog, I read that and thought "surely it can't be" as I was focused on the mount concept. I'm really considering a nice dog companion now, but mounted combat is my thing and I'm a bit too tall for riding a dog.

>>47881818
>>47881821
A warhorse is what I'm leaning towards for sure, just seeing if there was some other cool options I was missing before the next session.

>>47881844
My god does represent themselves as a white wolf, that actually could be perfect if I talk it over with the DM and see if it might be a bit too silly for them, and if they'd go for the different statline. Thanks anon.

>>47881854
That sounds sweet, maybe do what the previous anon suggested and talk over swapping out the statline for something more substantial like a warhorse. Or you could maybe even go for a similar "style" of animal like a moose and talk over giving it stats.

You're probably right about the flying mounts too, depends on which sort of player you give it to I guess.

Thanks for all the replies, given me a lot to think about already!
>>
>>47882211
The curse people can choose, and probably will always chose, to accept in exchange for being brought back to life while in the dark lands of barovia.
>>
>>47882036
Yeah for the 6th level features I wanted to give a lot of good ribbon utility, the underwater breathing could be completely useless in some campaigns so I didn't feel the need to manage its effectiveness, since the effectiveness is measured by what they are doing.

With the level 14 feature I originally thought of giving a more supportive ability like the 6th sense sharks have, and give the barbarian blindsight, but honestly anti-invisibility isn't that great compared to a fly speed, disadvantage against allies, and bonus attack prone. I thought of the grapple but it would just feel silly seeing a dwarf biting something and trying to swing their axe at it. All I can think of sharks for are their 6th sense and just bloody murder.

What else are sharks known for?
>>
>>47882319
Oh so you were talking about Dark Gifts?

But to even get them, they have to die in the first place. So why would they get killed because of the curse?
>>
>>47882118
yes
>>
>>47881990
I'm thinking the only way you can use Warding Bond successfully is in conjunction with Shield of Faith and Aid. I picture a cleric basically standing back-to-back with a paladin and just locking that shit down.
>>
>>47882384
No I mean it doesn't matter what the party comp is because unless your party is really lucky at least one party member is going to die and then probably be brought back to life.
>>
>>47882432
>they have to both wear a platinum ring
your reasons for marrying a cleric waifu have just increased
>>
>>47881793
A fucking horse. Are you a special snowflake winged catman, too?
>>
So, Wish. 33% chance to never be castable after suffering stress. Is the stress only from casting any spell after Wish, or is it for casting non-spell-clone Wish?
>>
>>47882169
The problem is I DID look it up.
I previously thought it applied to all rolls
Then I saw "On the first attack of your turn"
Then I'm possibly slightly inebriated and read it as "Only applis to first attack of the turn."
Anyway, yes, it would apply to bite. That also makes level 14's thing useless if you use reckless attack.

>>47882322
Perhaps something speed or stealth or fear related. The ability to charge a distance and then attack or being able to move at the start of a fight, even in a surprise round, or something like that.
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47882322
The 14th level thing could be something to do with either the toughness, the single mindedness, or the scariness of the shark
Like for toughness it gets THP when it damages a creature who under max hit points
For single mindedness ripe off berserker barb and make it so while on rage they can't be charmed or frightened
For scariness make it so whenever they're ranging they can scare enemies some how
>>
>>47882569
So much random junk, all FR-only.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28 KB, 1280x720
>>47882569
> Gourmond
>>
Is there any quality homebrew Engineer class that doesn't simply refluff the wizard?

I want a class that is specifically non-magical, but still have a lot of utility.
>>
>Homebrew setting
>Revival of any sort has a high chance of getting the clerics and paladins of the god of death sent after you unless you get special exception for whatever reason
>Animating undead is extremely frowned upon unless you essentially have the god's blessing to do so

Should I say fuck it and use that kind of magic anyways, or should I keep out of that sort of trouble?
>>
>>47882540
Male, human, sword&board, oath of devotion paladin. Couldn't be more bog standard in anything else really. It's just when everything else about it is magical, why can't the beast itself be?
>>
>>47882550
The stress happens any time your wish is not "you casting another spell of 8th or lower, without cost or restriction of casting time or class". Though in truth some the options are worth the risk and stress. Like the create a massive and expensive object function, you could create a castle/fortress/tower instantly and make it out of pure steel or something. Or give your whole party resistance to several damage types.
>>
>>47882752
>Craft scroll of Wish
>Use the scroll to wish for nonstandard effects instead of directly casting wish
>No chance of burning out your wish spell forever
>>
>>47882752
It's only one damage type
And since it's only going to be 1-3 before you lose wish, the DM can just ignore those damages and change up the enemy type
I guess if you're good at rolling you can just get resistance to all damage but otherwise the DM will void it with black dragons to fuck you up
>>
>>47881751
Just last session I got about a +2 rapier? Went from using a rapier and shield to claws that do 2d4+dex damage and are light, so I can do two of those attacks and still benefit from a shield. This at level 3, we also got some plate for the pally which is basically +2 armor, it's a short campaign so it's natural.

I gave my players at level 2 before the boss of a 2-session game a rapier that can automatically ground winged creatures within 60 ft. as an action, a ring of Enlargement (10 rounds max, but no concentration), a crown that can blind people by firing light out of it and make you immune to psychic damage, as well as a cloak of immoveability, so you can't be transported or moved in any way if it's unwilling.
>>
>>47882793
Wasn't there some trick about creating a clone of yourself and having the clone cast Wish? Is that a better alternative?
>>
>>47881942
Your (noble) family backed the wrong faction during a recent war.
>>
>>47882829
Just craft the fucking scrolls, anon.
By using wish to circumvent component costs, you can rack up a shitload of money quickly anyways. Either through making things, enchanting items for people, or by offering spellcasting services (Raising the dead is a very expensive one that will net you great cash AND great renown)
>>
>>47882834
Your noble family was blacked by the wrong faction during a war.
>>
evening

anyone got a link to Frog God's Book of Lost Spells? gamedays tommorow and a player is interested in checking it out
>>
>>47882829
That wouldn't work because if you get burned out on wish then go into the clone body, your mind is still the same mind, still unable to cast wish. I know there is a snow clone spell but Idk the details on how it would work per say.

>>47882869
>>47882793
>DM allows you to craft scrolls of wish.

You must have a very generous DM.
>>
>>47882041
Sounds like they're fucking behind the scenes.

Best way to resolve it is to turn the next session into a mass orgy.
>>
>>47882041
People who don't observe Concession Stand Rules when it comes to pen and paper combat are the fucking worst.
>>
>>47882869
Caster of ninth level spells reduced to scrounging for gold from the bourgeois like some dirty preasent, how droll.
>>
>>47881751
>Best magic item found
Boots of Striding and Leaping
>Best item given
Basically a hookshot a la Zelda
>>
>>47881793
Brown Bear
>climb 30ft
>>
>>47882578
I like the temporary health, when a bite attack hits you gain Temporary health equal to your rage damage. Your temporary health is lost when your rage ends.

This seems like a weak conditional heroism, could be a little weak even.
>>
>>47881751

>Get into a 5e campaign
>Have a lot of fun
>Add a new person
>Becomes funner
>Third person is pulled in
>Third person is only available one day a week
>Can't play without them

why must life be suffering
>>
>>47882829
You probably mean Simulacrum, which will only work if you go through the normal process to create it (i.e. you can't use Wish to cast it quickly/cheaply because then the simulacrum wouldn't have a 9th-level slot).
>>
>>47883086
The number of times you can play per month is inversely proportional to the number of people in the game
>>
>>47883110
well put
>>
>>47882169
Oh yeah, fuck that reminds me.

>>47883081
Instead of the bite, weapon attacks while raging. That seems pretty damn strong.
>>
>>47883110

It's been three weeks since we played. I don't know why they were dragged into the campaign.
>>
>>47882696
>>Revival of any sort has a high chance of getting the clerics and paladins of the god of death sent after you unless you get special exception for whatever reason

How would they even know unless you told them or started waving diamond dust in front of them?
>>
>>47882968
The Necromancer Games one? Also try out Google.com.
new.vk

.com/doc5682622_428462173?hash=bf305955d198ea023b&dl=bebaeaf4e15c9bb45f
>>
>>47883086
>Can't play without them

Sure you can.
>>
>>47883256

Well, yeah, we could. But when that person drops out, another person drops and it becomes "welp, guess we can't"
>>
>all these liches and necromancers floating around
>literally never encounter a marut
What gives
>>
>>47882139
Hey, >>47882041 reporting back

I took your advice to heart and just asked him directly what was going on in our group's discord.

he got back to me that he's pretty embarassed about how he acted. Basically, he's a bit unsatisfied with how boring his character is, and he sees us having fun, and especially the crazy build guy having fun. He thinks it is cause he took a non caster.

Should I try to convince him that non casters are fun? Or just help him give his character a noble death so he can remake as a caster?
>>
>>47883318
One of these things is not like the others
>>
>>47883086
People play more than once a week?

Hows the DM cope with that?
>>
>>47883341
Tell your DM to stop being a jerk. Nothing the "crazy multiclass guy" can do is legit.
>>
>>47881751
My Warlock got a Rod of Lordly Might and the GM came up to apologize for not giving me something more in line with my class and asked if I would like to repick.
I was like "nah, I'm good. Thanks though."
>>
>>47881942
My Half Orc Paladin's secret was that he was adopted
his family is full human
he's just not that clever.
>>
>>47883249
thanks bro
>>
>>47883378
It seems pretty legit to me. We've got custom long rest/short rest times (8 hours for a short rest, 4 days for a long rest), so he has his familiar spend most of the time making poisons/traps/etc. With the rules as they are, the familiar gets quite a bit of output.

Minor Conjuration lets him conjure up bombs constantly, and with an invisible familiar, and an invisible mage hand, he's constantly sneaking them onto people and then sneak attacking them from range with bolts.

The only absolutely homebrew thing that the DM's allowed is that the guy can use minor conjuration to conjure any small object that he's put in a special bag of holding, regardless of the other rules for minor conjuration. But the DM and them were cool about it, let us take a vote, and it unanimously passed.

But yeah, that's the only homebrew ruling in favor of the crazy multiclass guy.
>>
>>47883341
My friends have complained at play barbarian or warlock, I think it depends on the player. I'm quite happy with just attacking every turn and fluffing those attacks as cool stuff, but some people just don't feel satisfied with that and feel like full casters get so much more stuff to work with - if that's the case, I don't think you can convince him really. Sometimes it can be as simple as not liking the character too, regardless of what they can do it's just not fun to play.
>>
>>47883365

You're misunderstanding the situation.

One person can play once a week. Which means everyone needs to be available that one time of the week or game's off.
>>
>>47883458
>his familiar is able to do anything other than float around and look pretty
First strike.
>able to make bombs
Second strike.
>special bag of holding
Third strike.
>>
>>47883570
Why wouldn't an imp familiar be able to make bombs?

It has intelligence 11, which is slighly above average for a man, so it can assuredly follow instructions given to it. It has suitable hands to manipulate the components as well (Dex 17!)

Speaking as a DM here, why wouldn't a pact of the chain warlock be able to give his imp instructions and parts and get a bomb at the end of the long rest?
>>
>>47883570
>familiar
Can rightly do lots of shit. Familiars are useful if you have the right one

>bombs
Conjuration wizard can do this (also alchemist's fire, poison, etc)

>bag of holding
the true mark of a that guy

>SPECIAL bag of holding
automatic dismissal
>>
>>47883637
First, the imp isn't proficient with artisan tools.
Second, it takes ten days of downtime and 25gp of raw materials to make even the simplest offensive thrown item (alchemist's flask).
And finally, there is no such thing as gunpowder in D&D. So no bombs.
>>
Bombs are kind of at that questionable tech level for the average D&D setting but there's no reason that you couldn't summon one with minor conjuration by the given rules. Unless they are explicitly magical in your setting.
>>
>>47883667
I guess, but it made sense in context of the narrative. We had saved a world famous artificer from certain death, and he rewarded everyone with a custom magic item. DM worked with everyone to get them something neat for their characters.

My druid for instance got a custom staff of the wildness with some spells switched out.
>>
>>47881751
>What's the best magic item you've given to your players/found as a player?

Our party has Blackrazor.
Right now much of the drama of having it revolves around us carrying it because it's too useful to just get rid of but so dangerous that we don't dare just toss it and chance someone else finding it, and we try not to risk using it in battle unless we've no other choice.
We've only employed it twice in moments of extreme desperation so far.
>>
Sorry if there is a thread about this or a resource somewhere, but where can I find pre-made characters for a DnD session with 5-7 friends who have never played?

I've only played 2nd edition. About 5 times. Not sure which edition our designated DM has DM'd. But I guess 5th or 3rd edition premade characters are fine too. I'll read all the guide if needed
>>
>>47883726
>proficiency
Sure, I guess. I'm not that guy's DM, but I don't like the crafting rules by default, particularly for the reason that it takes 10 days of down time to make items that might be relatively simple given the setting
>10 days of downtime
Okay, see above. In a high magic setting, the default crafting rules are crap.
>gunpowder isn't in D&D
Come on now. Don't run into such an obvious Depends on the Setting.

I'd totally allow this, and even if the imp wasn't making it, I'd allow him to conjure bombs if he had seen them before.
>>
>>47883365
>being / having a DM that actually plans for shit
Ha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah aha.
>>
>>47883866
I'm bored as fuck and I love making characters, let me do it for you.

What level and how many?
>>
>>47883390
>tfw got a +3 Rod of Lordly Might on my Fighter
>at level 7 or so
>>
>>47881793
something exotic if you want to have fun, spider was already said, but exotic only really works with nature paladins

elephants literally are a mount RAW, so that one isn't even "dm permission", and theres not much that says armor couldnt be applied to every mount anyway (why would you be able to armor a regular horse, but not a mule), even if its not RAW

that being said, the more special snowflake-y and higher cr you get, the lamer it is going to be, expecially since find steed can be fought with
you can easily get a better "mount" and use it as a pet, than a ranger can get of a pet

that being said, theres alot of Lower CR "fun" choices that arnt super op or mary sue
your dm sounds a bit lax, so theres no reason you couldn't ask for say, a rug of smothering mount if he was lax on "animal"
or if he's pretty RAW, Giant goat and giant wasp are both EASILY within the CR and abilities given that he would be fine with it
>>
>>47881854
the first page of the animal list says you can easily change around stats if you dont like "what the animal is" basically
another anon suggested just use warhorse stats, but Giant goat is mechanically pretty similar to a higher CR elk
the same way tiger and panther are the same animal, just higher/lower CR
>>
>>47881751

Best magic item I've been given has been a third party created item called a Thunder Axe. One-handed 1d10 battleaxe +1 that I could bonus action do an additional 1d8 thunder damage with once per long rest. Did some stuff if I did the bonus action and then critted, but the odds of that happening were so slim that it was negligible.

On the other hand, my party if currently in OotA and the DM made the mistake of giving our paladin a Shield of Missile Attraction. Now all the drow poisoned arrows go to him instead of any of us. And he's a dwarf.
>>
>>47883737
"Minor" conjuration summoning multiple different forms of matter at once in a variety of precise configurations with novel and potentially very complex chemicals in the right proportion is a stretch. Might as well ask why a guy can't conjure up a fucking Radio Flyer. At least it's potentially entirely wooden or metal.

Would you let this level 2 Wizard conjure up a Thanksgiving turkey, cooked to perfection, with all the trimmings? A perfect recreation of a goblin made of all the right organic shit (in corpse state, naturally)? Where does this end? There's an enormous range of latitude that a strict interpretation of "inanimate" allows and I don't think half of it is what was intended.
>>
>>47883910
Level 1. Around 5 would be nice.

I love you.
>>
File: IMG_0073.jpg (96 KB, 432x671) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0073.jpg
96 KB, 432x671
>>47883833
does using blackrazor knowingly make you evil? idk. its pretty gnarly.
pic only thematically related in a way. i know its stormbringer but i just like this image
>>
>>47884000
I think it was intended to be a skill that requires and rewards player creativity, so yes, to all of the above. If it meets the strict requirements of the spell, it isn't my job as the DM to say "no" to that player, when the player is actually doing their job.
>>
>>47883341
>>47882139 here. Just try and figure out what kind of thing he wants to do. My group has done one shots if we have a player die and they arent quite sure what they want to play next. sometimes a class sounds fun then you start playing and its just not what you want to do. Maybe get together on a different day just try out different class ideas, or even different build ideas a barbarian. It might slow down the campaign but its worth it in the long run to have everyone enjoying there character.
>>
>>47883866
feel free to use >>47883910
but i "think" there are a few free premade characters on the wizards site that you can just download the pdf of
that being said, i dont know if they're all the same level, or if they're "story" characters from some setting or some crap
>>
>>47884038
>an ability interpreted to let you summon nearly fucking anything you've ever seen unlimited times per day requires creativity
No. It's the exact opposite. The more limits you give an ability, the more creativity is necessary on the part of the player to get their mileage out of it.

The Rogue or Fighter who is MacGyvering random trade goods and kitchenware from their backpack to solve the crisis at hand is utilizing creativity and deserves a reward. "I sailed to Lantan and visited a bomb store" being carte blanche to hurl a fucking inexhaustible supply of high explosives is ridiculous.

This isn't "Minor Conjuration", it's practically "'Creation', the Fifth Circle Spell, Unlimited Times Per Day." Fucking Wizfags, I swear.
>>
>>47884033
We DON'T use it if we can help it and we've taken multiple precautions with it.
It's kept in a special rune-covered sheath if dwarven make that keeps it "quiet" so long as it's not unsheathed and then we wrap that up in canvas and tie it together and have our Paladin (one of the only party members with a Cha score high enough to reliably resist it's compulsions) carry it. He personally refuses to use the thing at all (he does favor two-handed weapons but he uses a maul) and only carries it because we told him he's the only one we reliably trust to resist Blackrazor's compulsions if the restraining spells on the sheath fail.

In one encounter we judged that we needed it's extra power to give us an edge in battle against some powerful demons (it was marginally satisfying because it's soul-eating ability actually permently killed them rather then sending them back to the Abyss), and in another we were beat to shit and hadn't had time to rest while fighting a bunch of hobgoblins and resorted to using it as a desperation tactic to turn the tide.
Our GM NEVER forces us to use it as part of the plot or anything and let's us make our own judgements about employing it and we're basically terrified of the damn thing since we know the more often we use it the more likely one of us is going to loose his shit to it's high compulsion save.

It's been a recurring subplot that we're looking for a means of reliably destroying the damn thing.
>>
>>47884026
Working on them, will post them as they are finished.
>>
I heard there was a splatbook that lets you play as vampire?

Greetings from Germany.
>>
>>47884192
>intelligent and evil items
>not just pooping on it to disrespect the thing
that'll show that fucker for trying to make you kill shit
>>
>>47884177
>the most creative abilities are basic attacks

No.
>>
>>47884177
>conjure a 3x3 foot cube of alchemist's fire (not magical!) or acid in the space above a creature
>immediately ignites if alchemist's fire and falls on them
>doesn't damage itself or have health, so it persists
>any fires or chemical reactions it starts remain after you recast it
>>
>>47884231
Greetings from Oregon.
No, there isn't.
>>
>>47884207
You are a godsend anon.
>>
>>47884285
Greetings from Germany.
Sure?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (75 KB, 493x750) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
75 KB, 493x750
>>47884192
well thats pretty cool. i like your paladin carrying it around bound up but refusing to ever use it. RIP to those bugbears. or..... no rest at all. oblivion. but sorry for the loss of their immortal souls (?).
but your dm sounds cool and you guys sound like you're handling it in a cool way.
more elric coz thats what i have, suck it
>>
>>47884231
Check the Mega under Rulebooks -> Supplements -> Planeshift Zendikar. It's not super-official, released by Wizards' Magic team and somewhat-endorsed by the D&D team.
>>
>>47884234
We thought about doing that for fun and then the guy holding the sword at the time got exactly 1 point away on his save to prevent Blackrazor from taking control of him and begin murdering people.
We do funny jokey stuff in our campaign but that goddamn sword is dead serious about it and the GM ensures that if there's consequences to an action that we deal with said consequences like adults.
>>
>>47884305
Not an official splatbook, no.
You could go check the fanmade/UA stuff if you want like >>47884320 says.
>>
>>47884320
>>47884344
OK I will thank you.
Greetings from Germany.
>>
>>47884231
The monster manual has a player character as a vampire section. But i would ask the dm if its cool
>>
File: 1466232183548.jpg (41 KB, 500x437) Image search: [Google]
1466232183548.jpg
41 KB, 500x437
Well I think I pissed off my group and I'm probably at fault for most of it for acting like a faggot

>DM a starting lvl 10 campaign saturday
>everything goes good everyone had fun
>get texts today from the two guys asking if I can stop this campaign that we just started to do a lvl 1 campaign
>say I'll think about
>they keep asking questions if they can double stack feats if they go variant human
>pretty much want to turn it into 3.shit
>tell them I'm not going to run it now and I am going to disregard the lvl 10 campaign too
>haven't responded to the last text sent about 20 minutes ago

I know I'm the faggot here but seriously two days later after you had fun you bitch about the campaign.
>>
>>47881793
Ostrich
>>
>>47884314
>but your dm sounds cool and you guys sound like you're handling it in a cool way
Almost all of us got started with 2e, so we weren't infected with the vaguely CCG-inspired idea that everything is just a block of stats to utilize and overcome just because we have it and that's it's own self-justification.

Instead we act out what our characters act and think like; that we are carrying a very old and very powerful weapon that genuinely the safest way to carry it is to never use it at all and not draw attention to it's presence by other NPC's and villains.
Thematically it's like we're carrying a tiny nuclear bomb with us and we're just too afraid to use it or risk drawing attention to it by more powerful groups who could easily take it away from us and we're too scared to just toss it because it seems to get itself found fairly easily when people do that to it.
>>
>>47884427
>Almost all of us got started with 2e, so we weren't infected with the vaguely CCG-inspired idea that everything is just a block of stats to utilize and overcome just because we have it and that's it's own self-justification.
You do appear to have grown fond of the smell of your own farts, though.
>>
>>47884294
>>
File: 5e_Premade_Rogue_Lv1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e_Premade_Rogue_Lv1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47884548
>>47884294

Oops, made a mistake, I'll just reupload.
>>
>>47882642

?
>>
>>47884606
Seems a little underpowered.
>>
>>47884593

Might want to make a non-arrackoa rogue too since level 1 fly speed is oft frowned upon.
>>
>>47884540
>You do appear to have grown fond of the smell of your own farts, though.

Isn't everyone though?

But in all seriousness; 3.0 ushered in a certain mindset that is still very much around for many players who got started. I think it wasn't on purpose and largely had to do with the more extensive and complex core rules. The more rules you have in the core the less adjudication is needed but also the more reliant newer players are in said rules because they didn't always learn that it was okay to just make shit up early on because there were very specific rulings for everything back then. They had strengths though too; they tend to be awesome at maximizing build effectiveness because the way 3e was made subtly encouraged it.
Meanwhile I've met first time 4e players who are okay with making shit up but in terms of combat are some of the best players I've seen in terms of resource management and tactical thinking due to the focuses of that edition. None of the good 4e-starting players I've gamed with waste time in combat and a they rarely do dumb shit or try to overextend themselves.
Mind you, I do not personally think this is a bad thing as their ideas will one day be forgotten and the next guys ideas will one day be forgotten and so will everyone else's after that as time slowly erases various editions of D&D "standard" and new players catch up.

It's less "one edition is superior" and more "each edition had a different focus" and thus people who get started on it learn that specific set of skills very well early on ans this influences then later.
Which really kind of makes it no different from any other thing you learn in life.
>>
Anyone have any tips for people that have trouble with the break between yourself and your characters? I'm not much of a creative type so my characters are somewhat boring to begin with but I often end up thinking of what I would do verses what my character would do. I'd really like to become a better roleplayer but my mind just isn't there yet
>>
>>47885049
make a character based on one aspect you know of yourself and exaggerate it, then go from there
or just use a bit of a voice, its easy to separate "me" and "him" when you talk as "him" while roleplaying

even if its not your character, can always play yourself at first and go from there
>>
>>47885049
Write out what your character has done up to where you currently are. What was your character thinking about when you talked to an important npc or fought a boss. start from the basics of your character. Also let your character grow organically let the story shape your character.
>>
>>47884385
Try to take a step back, Anon, and pull yourself away from the emotions for a second. You will need to talk to them about what's going on. When you tell them what you think they are doing, start the sentence with "I feel like..." Remember that they are people who are feeling, too.
>>
>>47885049
Take a deep breath and remind yourself that your character has a different upbringing and values than you do.

Every time you decide to do something or interact with a NPC in some way you need to ask yourself "is this something the character would do based on his experiences?"

Different personalities tend to gravitate to certain classes as well. Think about what made your character train with his weapon or learn how to cast spells.
>>
>>47884927

Maybe. I've never been able to use it so I don't know if it works out in practice. It's great thematically tho IMO, though not everyone will like it's more sci-fi gadgets vs. the steampunk ones.
>>
I cant decide what class to go for my first longtime campaign with my newly gathered group. It's stuck between a warlock or a tempest cleric. The backstory I wrote could work for both of them.

I've heard some nuts things about temp clerics doing massive lightning damage with call lightning.

Also is it true that warlocks have a hard time keeping up with damage at higher levels?
>>
>>47885750
>Also is it true that warlocks have a hard time keeping up with damage at higher levels?
Not really. Hex and EB + Agonizing Blast net them solid damage (1d10 + 1d6 + Cha, up to 4 hits by 17th level). The problem most people have with warlocks is that, in-combat, EB is about the only good thing they usually do.
>>
Every stealth rogue should take three levels of Trickery Cleric for Pass Without Trace, right?

Stealth bonus at...
-Cleric3/Rogue1: +17
-Cleric3/Rogue4: +20
-Cleric3/Rogue8: +23
-Cleric3/Rogue12: +25
-Cleric3/Rogue17: +27
>>
>>47885778
I've noticed this too.
Our group's Warlock during our last game pretty much only held back and spammed Eldritch Blast for every fight, maybe dropping another spell or two here and there, but other then that she didn't have a lot of RAW combat options. She eventually learned to be inventive with her descriptions and tactics to make up for it to make use of the Advantage/Disadvantage system, but that's something not all GM's will allow or encourage depending on how flexible or willing to try new things they are.
It also relies on the player being very creative and the GM suitably making interesting combat environments as well.
>>
>>47883458
>8 hours for a short rest, 4 days for a long rest
See, that's why. Barbarian's main thing (Rage) is keyed to long rests, and exhaustion fucks him up even more if he has to wait 4 FULL DAYS to get rid of it. Maybe he wasn't aware of all these rules before he choose to be a berserker. But I'm sure that's a big part of the problem he's having.
>>
>>47885778
>>47885827
i always liken warlock to a ranged character using a really good heavy crossbow, or a fighter shotputting Glaives at extreme range
>>
>>47883458
Ask DM if he can restat as a Totem Barbarian. Berserker is super unfun. My barbarian friend absolutely regrets taking Berserker.
frenzy
>you get real mad and you can make another attack. this makes you as exhausted as if you literally ran a marathon.
mindless rage
>you cant be charmed or fightened when your angry
intimidating presence
>you are scary
retaliation
>you get an opportunity attack when you get hurt
>>
>>47883341
Play 4e instead
>>
>>47883458
>We've got custom long rest/short rest times (8 hours for a short rest, 4 days for a long rest)
I hope one day people realize the game doesn't work like this
>>
>>47885005
>But in all seriousness; 3.0 ushered in a certain mindset that is still very much around for many players who got started. I think it wasn't on purpose and largely had to do with the more extensive and complex core rules.

Google "Ivory Tower game design".
>>
DMs, how do you deal with a player unhappy with his class?

my party is a fighter, ranger (hunter with an animal companion because beastmaster is just shit), and an arcane tricksterer.

the fighter is unhappy with his class because he hates being the guy who always is in the front in the most danger, and because he has much less utility than the ranger or AT. He's a battlemaster btw

I let him do rather superhuman shit and also let him be a were-bear (he had a cool backstory for it so i let him go for it, he rarely actually uses the bear form) so I feel like he has it better than other fighters. He also got a magic sword a session ago that adds a bunch of utility (it transforms into a greatsword if used with two hands, can be thrown up to 30ft and returns to his hand like a lightsaber)

but I still get the vibe he isn't happy playing a fighter when the AT can go invis and disguise himself and shit. I told him when we first made their characters that a fighter is more combat focused but that's what he said he wanted.

what'd you guys do? I'm going to offer him a chance to respec tomorrow, they've just helped out a church so in-game wise it'd make some sense for him to become a paladin. This campaign isn't roleplay-y at all because all three are dudebros and brand new to tabletop
>>47885920
yea man zerk barb kinda blows. Poor travis willingham on critrole has to constantly put up with being "dumb guy who hits stuff" when he'd be a better group leader/tactician than most everyone else in the group
>>
>>47886225
>He also got a magic sword a session ago that adds a bunch of utility
>it transforms into a greatsword if used with two hands, can be thrown up to 30ft and returns to his hand like a lightsaber
That's not utility
>>
>>47886252
combat utility. In the past he's been unable to deal with ranged targets. Also you'd be surprised, he's used it twice out of combat to throw out and grab something and bring it back to him
>>
>>47886276
how does a sword grab something?
>>
>>47886225
Let me get this straight, you're running a combat-heavy game, the guy signed up to melee the shit out of things, and he's envious of the guy who can go invisible a few times a day?

You're playing with five minute adventuring days, aren't you.
>>
>>47886294
he tosses the sword and it impales the thing, then it returns to his hand

>>47886297
we have 1-3 combats per 3-4 hour session so it's not really super super combat heavy. They like combat the most, though they also seems to enjoy puzzling sometimes

i don't know what five minute adventuring days mean, but they can only take one long rest (8 hours) every 16 hours, if you're implying that I let the AT and ranger get their spells back too fast
>>
>>47884246
Holy shit you are stupid. Reread what he wrote.
>>
Hey guys. I'm new to DMing, about to start up a campaign with 6 of my friends. Just wondering if anyone has a quick mental checklsit of shit I should have down before we start. There's an overarching plot in mind, and I've made characters up for the villains, including backstories etc

I've got an idea for the first few sessions, and have the setting down for the start of the campaign

Anything else I should look into?
>>
>>47886326
Sounds like a textbook case of grass-is-greener to me. It's actually pretty common to see newcomers to D&D start as a martial class, see their first series of combats where magic is involved, and start hankering for a caster of their own without realizing why not everyone should be a caster at the same time. Paladin does sound like a good idea.
>>
>>47884261
>burning fuel doesn't "damage" it
No, fuck you.
>>
>>47886444
1. Sandbox or railroad? Most parties are uncomfortable with being able to choose the direction of their adventure.

2. Maps. World map, battle map, town map, whatever. Players appreciate being able to see where things are in relation to each other.

3. You haven't prepared enough for combat. Trust me. Come up with a way to speed it along: stat cards for your NPCs, timers for player turns, initiative tracking with tokens or something, loot tables... it gets pretty deep.
>>
I want to tweak the balance for the barbarian's path of the berserker and I've got two different ideas.

1. Remove the exhaustion from frenzy and simply limit it to once per long rest.

2. Keep the exhaustion, but make it so that the barbarian ignores the effects of exhaustion while frenized.

Which do you guys think is better? I'm also open to alternative tweaks.
>>
>>47886449
it isn't fuel, it's alchemist's fire.
it's fire in a bottle that persists until dampened
>>
>>47886556
The first one is better.
>>
>>47886561
It's air ignited napalm, if it wasn't fuel it wouldn't be able to burn.
>>
>>47884593
Thanks brah. Loving this
>>
>>47886530
I'm using roll 20, so tokens, turn orders, maps and stat cards aren't a huge issue. Loot tables are something I'll have to look into though.

The campaign is semi-railroaded. The plot is basically some Tiefling Warlock has been acting like a warlord for the past 20 years or so. Slowly building his own empire with 3 lieutenants which I'm gonna throw in as bosses soemtime down the line. A Goliath BArbarian, a Human Oathbreaker Paladin and a Dragonborn Sorcerer. Not too sure about the Sorcerer though. Think I can come up with something better. All of the party members have their own personal reasons for wanting to bring down this tyrant, and that's where the campaign essentially starts

First session I'm thinking they all happen to be in this fishing village which will serve as a hub for a while, do a few missions like hunt some direwolves or something, then, at some point while they're away, they'll come back to find the village under siege from a small band of the Warlocks forces.
>>
>>47886614
And, yes, I'm wella ware this campaign isn't exactly new or original, but it's my first time DMing and half the player's first time playing D&D
>>
what's /tg's consensus on chirs perkins?
>>
>>47886556
Once per short rest wouldn't break anything, even. But once per long makes sense, as they would try to remove exhaustion before frenzying again.
>>
>>47882834
I like this one.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>47886448
we played a bad homebrew babby version of dnd before we started this "real" dnd campaign, he played a fighter then but the rest were martials too

i tried to get him to go paladin when we started but he just wanted to be the same thing as what he played the first time.

I think he'll like pally, his stats are good for a pally (has 14 cha for some reason) and he'll get to do cool shit like smites and summon a horse and shit.
>>
>>47883214
People talk. At some point some witnesses should see a guy gets killed and comes back.
>>
>>47886585
I can do more, I got a headache and it seemed that you left. Wizard coming up.
>>
Hey /tg

I am dming for a group of friends for pretty much the first time. I try to make the fights challenging for them but they seem to blast right through even the deadly challenges.

The first player is a war cleric, very tanky, does decent damage.

Second player is a wizard, does lots of damage and always runs away if he even hits half life.

Third player is a bard running only spells like bane, bless, cutting words ect.

None of the monsters seem to hit them because of all the buffs debuffs they are using. Do any of you have suggestions?
>>
>>47886928
>None of the monsters seem to hit them because of all the buffs debuffs they are using

save damage. full on failed, half on succesful
>>
>>47886928
Set up traps for them. Use different abilities of monsters like grapping, poisoning, shocking etc. Cast spells on them like sleep, charm or confuse etc. Put some riddles and puzzles in the game to challenge them if they are very good in combat.
>>
>>47886951
thanks man! ill try and throw in some casters or something next session. They dont see many of those
>>
>>47886928
Throw three stirges at them.

:^)
>>
>>47886959
I've been trying to use Confusion on my players for a while now...
>First try: small pit with spikes, Constitution save or affected by Confusion
Fucking natural 20 on the save.
>Second try: monsters with blowguns ambush them, have to hit and then character tries to save
All that were hit (most of the party) make the (easy) save.
>Third try: Enemy uses a scroll of Confusion
No one rolls beneath a 17 on their fucking saves.
Welp. I guess it's just not meant to be.
>>
>>47886928
Play the enemies as smart as they are. Have them flank the PCs, focus on targets weak to their attacks, set traps, use the environment, use their own magic for buffs and debuffs, use magic items, drink potions, give them all max hitpoints, have the noise of the battle alert further enemies before the PCs can recover.

Having enemies using consumable items is especially good because the PCs will feel like they're losing potential loot.
>>
>>47886928
Mounted enemies with lances and nets. I'd like to see a wizard outrun a horse.
>>
File: T07-0150-031.jpg (333 KB, 770x430) Image search: [Google]
T07-0150-031.jpg
333 KB, 770x430
I want to play a super-hp Barbarian. Max Constitution first, get the Tough feat, etc. I probably want to play a dwarf, but should I go mountain for the better Strength (since I won't be bumping that probably ever, ASI at level 16) or hill for true maximum hp?
>>
So, I'm running Princes of the Apocalypse the first session my players traveled to red larch then Beliard then traveled the Dessarin Road to the caravan wreckage took the golden mask showed it to the lady at summit hall and then traveled to Sacred stone Monastery and fought the umber hulk then killed Qarbo and his guards. I'm confused as to how to get them to the other surface outposts after clearing out the monastery any tips from someone who's run it already?
>>
>>47887250
expeditious retreat + longstrider = 80 ft
warhorse = 60 ft
>>
>>47886819
I'm still here brah. It's getting late, but i'll bookmark this thread.

Thanks for all the help, anon
>>
>>47887318
A horse's Dash is 120 feet.
>>
>>47887286
I wouldn't want less than 16 in my main combat stat personally. maybe try goliath or half-orc instead?

anyway, just make sure you go bearbarian
>>
>>47887317
All that in the first session? Damn.
>>
>>47887329
the wizard's would be too
>>
>>47887339
6 hour session
>>
File: 5e_Premade_Wizard_Lv1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e_Premade_Wizard_Lv1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47887319
>>
>>47887394
The first AC is natural AC and the second is with Mage Armor cast.
>>
>>47883866
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

There are a ton of premades from Wizards here. They're also in the Mega under Character Sheets as a zip.
>>
File: ItsMagic.jpg (79 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
ItsMagic.jpg
79 KB, 720x479
>>47887318
>>47887329
>>47887356
And if the wizard wants to blow a haste instead of expeditious retreat, you're looking at 80 base speed (longstrider +10 and haste's double speed), plus 80 haste extra action, plus another 80 for dash to total 240 ft movement. A wizard can easily outrun a horse.
>>
File: 5e_Build_Max-Speed.png (28 KB, 517x826) Image search: [Google]
5e_Build_Max-Speed.png
28 KB, 517x826
>>47887472
>>
>>47881751
one time when we searched a dungeon i found a badass flame tounge
>>
>>47881907
THAT IS BADASS!!
>>
Coming in as a level-5 character, and wanting to play a front-line cleric, is it better to come in as a full 5th level cleric? or do a fighter 2/cleric 3 multi-class?

I'll be able to start with plate armour, and don't plan on playing a divine domain that gives heavy armour automatically. Basically is it worth trading off 3rd-level spell slots for action surge, second wind and a fighting style?
>>
>>47888252
eh, up to you. personally id say yes, as would most people. even just fighter 1 would be worth it because you save on feats.
>>
>>47881942
your father was a cuck and you are the bull's son
>>
>>47888252
just be war cleric
>>
Having Strahd rob characters of their magic items/treasures Y/N?
>>
>>47888252
theres no reason you cant if thats what you mean
maybe the need to make more con checks if you're keeping concentration buffs up instead of spell damaging.
the only thing is, you might do a bit less damage, you gain two "attacks" per turn with divine strike, but only war gets an actual extra attack, and divine strike just isn't as much damage as an extra hit.
but either way, you're most likely not going to go deep into fighter, you want a style, and maybe action surge. and hell, paladin and ranger both get styles, and some more spell levels
i might be in the minority, but i personally like 3 levels of ranger for a front line cleric so you gain a style, hunters mark, and colossus slayer
>>
>>47888252
The three best front line cleric options get heavy armor anyway, thunder, war, and healing. You don't really get anything from the others to benefit being in the thick of it comparatively.
>>
>>47888598
Death Clerics don't
>>
>>47888630
Death Clerics are better ranged as they get double hits with Chill touch
>>
>>47888598
>healing
wat? am i missing something? how is that better than nature
>>
>>47885803
You could make an earth genasi, but the ability score for one isn't very rogueish
>>
Hang on...
You can't cast warlock spells higher than 5th level unless you multiclass to not warlock?
>>
>>47881873
I think you should limit the abilities to creatures that bleed. Maybe make the Bite attack cause bleeding and then use the Predator ability to track bleeding creatures or at least creatures that can bleed.
A shark tracking an injured ghost that can not bleed even if it wanted to would be kinda strange I feel.
The Frenzy one could be Bite attacks against bleeding targets deal extra damage.
>>
>>47884593
>Wis mod
>+113

Damn son
>>
>>47888714
you can, but they are 'mystic arcana' which is basically a bullshit reason to only allow you to cast 6-9th level spells 1 per long rest.
>>
>>47888714
Arcanum spells u cunt
>>
>>47888795
>>47888797
Oh, yeah. I see.
That's not... ideal
>>
>>47888655
Holup where are death clerics? I only saw trickery and good domains
>>
>>47888977
Dungeon Master Guide
>>
I'm joining a West Marches 5e game in a bit, the GM is only using the PHB for simplicity for the large number of players he has to track. I'm not super used to the system, but is there enough stuff in just the PHB to run a alchemist-type who uses loads of firebombs?
>>
>>47883214
>GOD of DEATH
I think he's going to know when his domain is fucked with, anon.
>>
>>47888858
why not? its at most 2 spells less than a wizard iirc..
>>
>>47889031
> a alchemist-type who uses loads of firebombs?

You have multiple options, but there is no alchemist class and the rules for crafting aren't precisely tailored for the class.
It's all going to be very DM dependent. Keep in mind that firebombs mean gunpowder - a technology that may not have been discovered yet in your DM's setting.

Conjuration Wizards could, technically, create firebombs or alchemist fire on a whim using their action (Minor Conjuration). On the next turn, they'd be able to throw what they've thus created.
It is probable however that your DM thinks this is overpowered or not respectful of the intent of the rules. Tread carefully and talk to him.

Thief Rogues could (arguably) use their action and/or their bonus action to throw a bomb each turn. That could be good for fighting since you'd be able to throw two bombs/alchemist fire each turn... But it's not answering where you're getting these items from.

Crafting should rely on Alchemist Supplies (Artisan's Tools, page 151 of your Player's Handbook), but keep in mind that D&D was never particularly good at crafting. 5e is no exception and crafting takes a lot of time and a lot of gold. Again, it's DM dependent: he might help you with that, he might give you lots of long rests where you may craft, or he might run a very fast-paced dungeon crawl.

So I guess one way to do that would be to pick any spellcasting class and just refluff spells into alchemistic effects. Firebolt cantrip can be your "Throw Bomb". Burning Hands could be your "Alchemist Fire Breath". Sleep could be your "Sleeping Powder". Fog could be your "Smoke Bomb". Etc.
>>
>>47889031
As other anon just said, your best bet is to completely refluff wizard spells if the DM has no room for anything different.
>>
Can a cleric lie about their god? For example can a Cleric of a Lawful Evil god say they serve a Lawful Good god and run around with the LG god's holy symbol and saying they serve him or would they be hit by lightning/holyfire/beamofdeath
>>
>>47889416
Eeh, I think it really depends on the DM. Personally I'd roll divine intervention any time that character enters the holy place of that god, mentions their name or anything like that for smiting them.
Alternatively, they could have a holy symbol that's not quite the same or has an illusion placed on it and kind of slurr their speech when mentioning the god or call it a 'local version of the religion' or the like.
>>
>>47889416
>>47889455
It also depends a lot on your god. A proud god might take offense to it, but a trickster god might allow it or even encourage it because they find it amusing.
>>
>>47889455
>>47889466
we're going to a city where they kill anyone who doesn't worship their god of civilisation and i'm a cleric of a trickster god of lies and illusion so I think I should be able to get away with it.
>>
>>47881751
>/pol/ memes are infecting reality on a faster and faster basis

The only thing I don't understand is why people are willingly wearing the (((JEW))) identifiers. Do they think it's ironic?
>>
A player of mine wants to run a death domain cleric but my main concern is that everyone but him and one other guy are lawful good, I have no problem with it gameplay wise but from a roleplaying aspect what could he do to not be shunned by his group?
>>
>>47889518
What's his alignment?
>>
>>47889503
apparently it is "reclaiming" them
>>
>>47889518
Death can be very much LG. It's part of nature; there's nothing more Lawful than death. The Good angle is the hard part to swing.

Zombies? Violating the natural order of life and death; has to die.
Overpopulation in deer? They'll strip the local fauna too fast and kill it, and then cause themselves to all die from lack of sustainability. Some of them gotta die.

Now, a zealous cleric of Death may apply these principles a little more extreme. Overpopulation in people is just as bad as overpopulation in deer.
>>
>>47889531
Lawful evil
>>
Dunno if my fiery tomboy monk should be open hand or sun soul. Can anyone compare the two?
>>
>>47889609
>Open hand
>she's going to give everyone handjobs

>Sun soul
>it matches her fiery personality

Women are all about accessorizing and having a well put together outfit. Sun soul is the only option for female cohesiveness.
>>
>>47881793
felidar
>>
>>47889573
This is more of an issue than the Death Cleric thing. A lot of death gods in both fiction and mythology were much more in the realms of neutral or lawful, since they treated it as a job stoically and dispassionately, just making sure that death played its proper course and, in some cases, sorting the wicked from the good so they could be handled properly in the afterlife. The Raven Queen comes to mind as a D&D goddess that fits that well. Being actively an evil entity is going to cause problems among the group where simply worshipping a death deity might be more of a problem.
>>
>>47889225
>>47889299
Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>47889609
Sun Soul literally throws spirit bombs and radiates so much violent energy it hurts people. Seems like an obvious choice to me.
>>
>>47881751
When your players meditate with an item or weapon or whatever, are you supposed to immediately give them all the details about the weapon as it would appear in the DM Guide including all the bad stuff?
>>
>>47889731
Not unless they're :

- a wizard
- a seasoned blacksmith
- a warrior who has used that blade in many battles
>>
>>47888712
How is double dipping heals onto yourself not a major factor on the front lines.
>>
>>47889753
Because healing in D&D during combat has always been a meme. Healing is for after combat - trying to heal during battle is basically wasting actions that could be used to end the encounter sooner.
>>
>>47889416
If it serves the greater good of your god's intentions, yes. Unless your god has a thing specifically about lying/deceit.
>>
>>47888530
Your concentration is probably better spent using Bless on someone with more/better attacks than you. Hunter's Mark isn't much when you only have one attack
>>
>>47889609
Open Hand is like Bruce Lee, Sun Soul is like an anime where everyone shoots energy at each other, see Dragon Ball Z. If she likes to kick ass with her own hands and feet go open hand.
>>
>>47889609

Definitely open hand. What kind of fiery tomboy wouldn't be knocking people on their asses left and right?
>>
Does flurry of blows combo to first trip with the first hit and and attack at advantage for the second?
>>
>>47889850
The kind that's so fiery she punches them with a fire hand.

>>47889875
Treat Flurry of Blows as a single "move", that you need to start and finish. It's not "I get to chain together X amount of actions at my leisure".
>>
>>47889930

Don't you resolve attacks one at a time though?
>>
>>47889626
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>47889930
But that's wrong. You can move between and distribute attacks as you see fit.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/03/monk-moves-between-flurry/
>>
>>47889609
> fiery tomboy monk
Just ask to use the remastered Way of 4 Elements

I heard it's very good and properly balanced.
>>
>>47889979

>Mike Mearls is doing the ((())) shit too

I don't have a reaction image cringey enough.
>>
File: 1461441340215.gif (834 KB, 440x248) Image search: [Google]
1461441340215.gif
834 KB, 440x248
Out of the abyss is so fun holy shit

>playing a human sorcerer who is also a Chauntea fanatic
>party is scavenging for food
>find only 2 mushrooms
>the only thing we have found for food in days
>we split the first mushroom
>I grab the second one and burn it, chanting a prayer like ''I send this mushroom to you Chauntea, may it join your great garden!''
>Barbarian starts getting pissed at me ''That was the only food we have seen in a while, why did you burn it?''
>''CHAUNTEA BE PRAISED''
>>
>>47890000
I especially like the two last pages explaining why the remastering took place and what changed.

Also, checked.
>>
>>47890009
Everything comes from Chauntea's garden already. Sending it back is a rejection of her gifts. You have insulted your goddess and risked your party's death.
>>
>>47884261
You have to conjure it on the ground or in your hand. But yeah, it's a fun, useful feature.
>>
>>47884177
Restrictions can foster creativity, but unrestricted access rewards creativity.

If minor conjuration was actually written to be only bombs, it would foster creative use of bombs. But since minor conjuration is unlimited, it lets players use bombs creatively and so much more.

There are infinitely more creative things you can do with minor conjuration precisely because it is relatively unlimited.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.