[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1465757513473.jpg (9 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
1465757513473.jpg
9 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread: >>47660173
>>
This thread appears to be dying, so let's give it a bit of CPR (hopefully). Favorite system and why. Can be as a GM, player, whatever.

As a player, I like Black Crusade because I'm a total asshole, but sometimes do stuff that is really stupid and occasionally amazing. And in BC that always feels so much more fun.

As a GM, I like Only War because it's much easier to control the game without railroading
>>
>>47747004
I usually favor Only War for the militariness.
>>
>>47747004
Dark Heresy 2, but with the full armoury of all others (except the more heretical stuff).
You can do almost anything in it as a GM, from locating xenos to fighting of cultists and daemon incursions (with a little help) to declaring an exterminatus.
As a player, you can play almost any character you want, and feel a great sense of freedom with roleplaying. (the original (dh2E with no mods) can be a bit underwhelming in the weapons department though).
>>
Can a Tech-Priestess get married?
More specifically to a Rogue Trader?

I'm wondering this because in the Rogue Trader game I'm in my Tech-Priestess is romantically involved with the Rogue Trader in question, and I can't remember if there's anything regarding this.
>>
>>47747004

Only War for both for me. Freedom to design your character within the class's strengths, diversity among everyday guardsmen, and the ability to fetter psyker powers.

So, has anyone ever run a squad of only Weapon Specs? My group batted the idea around for awhile.
>>
File: Bulldozer of Fallujah.jpg (110 KB, 640x901) Image search: [Google]
Bulldozer of Fallujah.jpg
110 KB, 640x901
>>47745264

>The Autocannon and the M41 Multilaser

It is fully possible to heft about an Autocannon or an Assault Cannon though, even though they're usually mounted. It usually takes spess mareens to do it, but it's not unheard of.

There are no examples of lugging around Multilasers, but given their size is slightly smaller than an autocannon, it should be slightly easier to carry one around and go wild.
>>
>>47748341
> implying tech priests have personality enough to be romantically involved
>>
>>47748868
Anon might be a Factor from Dark Heresy.
>>
File: f7c.jpg (81 KB, 500x655) Image search: [Google]
f7c.jpg
81 KB, 500x655
>>47748341
>>47748868
>>
So is this the 40k tabletop game I DON'T need figurines for?
I'm looking to GM an Imperial Guard game.
>>
>>47749948
Correct!

The Imperial Guard game is called Only War.

Some tips:

Psykers are ridiculously powerful. And cause trouble due to psychic powers.

The Autocannon is extremely overpowered. Try to convince your players to take something else, such as the Multilaser.
>>
File: 1456111073137.jpg (33 KB, 254x179) Image search: [Google]
1456111073137.jpg
33 KB, 254x179
>>47749975
Oh great, thank you. I was having a bit of a hard time finding any rule books or anything!

Hm, alright, I'll keep these in mind.
>>
>>47747004
Only war for both.

As a player, I love the 40k universe and immersing myself as a guardsman is the greatest thing ever for me.

As a GM, it's very difficult for players to power-game, and the low HP pool on everybody makes the game extremely lethal. This prompts more strategy out of my players, and forces them to consider not fighting.
Also, it shoves a huge slice of humble pie in their mouth, and makes it so they stop their bullshit "me vs you" mentality they always seem to take in other systems.
I have actually had players complain that Ork Boys with zapguns was unfair. These are the people I deal with.
>>
>tfw you're making a regiment and you don't know what to do with 20 extra kit points
I'm tempted to give everybody a power fist or a meltagun.
>>
>>47750258
What kind of regiment did you make to have 20 sulprus?
>>
>>47750258
Meltaguns.
It will be GLORIOUS.
>>
>>47750304
Lathe world/rough rider/augmentics/bonded to the machine cult/mistrusted
Spent 10 on IG flak already and now I'm not sure what to spend the rest on.
>>
>>47750328
The thing is that I put meltagun and multi-melta as regimental favored weapons.
>>
>>47750021
The official site still doesn't have the core book or Hammer of the Emperor instock, and all the official pdfs, except for the FAQ and some other goodies such as the character sheet, are no longer available. You're better off pirating them, sadly. I rather prefer physical, but I can't find a copy anywhere.
>>
>>47750604
As a note, I do believe you CAN still buy the PDFs on DrivethruRPG.
>>
>>47750604
Ah, well the PDF is fine anyway, I've only ever done it with online resources anyway.
This is pretty interesting so far, I've already got some ideas for what I can do.
>>
File: yesthisgetspostedalot.jpg (119 KB, 900x1007) Image search: [Google]
yesthisgetspostedalot.jpg
119 KB, 900x1007
>Rediscover the joy of /40krpg/
>Discover Only War
>Think, "This might be The Game."
>Devour PDFs at unprecedented rate
>Have friends that used to play 40k tabletop and have played Pathfinder on occasion
>Friends say they are in
>Nobody rolls characters, nobody reads the rules
>This happens every time I try to DM/GM
>mfw

10 friends that say they want to play P&P RPGs, and none of them will actually put any effort towards it at all. Maybe its just me.
>>
File: STUBisHMG.jpg (48 KB, 722x246) Image search: [Google]
STUBisHMG.jpg
48 KB, 722x246
>>47748649
As was pointed out in the previous thread, the Heavy Stubber is equivalent to an HMG. The M2 is an HMG, as evidenced here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning
Thus, some fat fuck carrying around some HMG (that doesn't look anything like an M2 in that pic btw) has no bearing on auto-cannons whatsoever.
For the record, I just discovered Only War last week and it was obvious from the get go that that auto-cannons are too powerful as written.
>>
MEGA Guy with a PSA:

I'm currently stuck at my parents' summer home. Which has worse internet than my pre-Holy Eastlink days. I'll let you all know when I can take updates again.
>>
>>47748649
>an Assault Cannon
IIRC Assault Cannons are mounted weapons unless carried by Terminators.
>>
>>47751093
Autocannons were op since they were introduced where they originally did S/2/5 4d10+5 Pen 4.
>>
File: Iron Warrior.jpg (24 KB, 500x414) Image search: [Google]
Iron Warrior.jpg
24 KB, 500x414
>>47751093

All I'm saying is that there are depictions of characters wielding heavy weapons like autocannons without mounting. For ordinary peeps, it's meant to reflect dudes like Harker who are always described as giants amongst men. Your average chucklefuck won't be able to do it, but someone already huge who spent their time becoming huger? Totally possible in the 40k clusterfuck. Spess Mareens can do it easy, like the Iron Warrior legionary here.

Autocannons are, however, an outlier. I won't dispute that point, at least, because I agree.

>>47751159

The recently-introduced Iliastus Pattern Assault Cannon is capable of being wielded outside of terminator armor. It jams like a motherfucker though. It led to the brief joke of "Sanguinius could have prevented the Heresy with 40 guys wielding assault cannons."

>>47751168

They do 3d10+8 Pen 6 now. For the loss of 1d10, they gained 3 damage, and 2 pen. It's slightly better than before - lower damage ceiling for higher guaranteed damage. Still an outlier.
>>
File: 1450991587966.png (133 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
1450991587966.png
133 KB, 384x313
What should I do about maps in Only War?
Is there a specific kind I should use?
I don't actually have much experience using any kind of maps, or dealing with much combat, so I often don't need to use a map, and when I do it's just a quick sketch.
>>
>>47751828
If you do use them, measure things in increments of single meters.
>>
Hello Guys and Gals. I am hoping more then a few of you have some tips for the WH40k Rpg.

I am currently in a Solo game when the Gm runs two NPC's and I play an Arbite. The Story is Harlocks Legacy. And the party and I have been abducted made to fight wild beasts. And Escaped to some Carnival above.

I am 5050 EXP into the game and I feel absolutely Useless.
The Good news is I have 650 to spend and I want to feel less useless.

My question is what can I do to get better? Other then Look for new dice as mine seem to think 70+ Is a good idea.
My Characters Goal is to eventualy become and inquisitor as well. ( Its not going well)
But so far I have found out that I cant fight. I cant shoot. I cant talk. Hide. Persuade. Sneak. Interigate. Drive or Navigate.

The only thing I can do is take a Hit or two. But with no armor thats become much harder.
>>
>>47752528
So my question is. What can I do Cheaply With thrones, Or EXP to make my character Valuable again.

WS: 25
BS: 38
S: 29
T: 43
Ag: 32
Int: 30
Per: 37
Wp:39
Fel: 39
I have only advanced my toughness by +5
If you need to know more ( I am sure you do) Let me know what.
>>
Besides using lathe world, what other regimental options would I use if I wanted it to be a regiment of half-murder servitors?
>>
>>47745953
Hey, so I was wondering if anyone had a character generator for Dark Heresy 2e, maybe a spreadsheet or something? I'm one of those guys who hates doing characters by hand.
>>
File: CZwozsCWkAIvIJ7.png (36 KB, 173x327) Image search: [Google]
CZwozsCWkAIvIJ7.png
36 KB, 173x327
I'm running Deathwatch, got a 6 man team of marines, 5 in terminator armor, trying to get off a space hulk. They're all suffering from various degrees of temporary insanity, and i've decided to make 5 havocs, a dozen Khornate Berzerkers, and a Khorne-powered Thunder Warrior standing between them and freedom

Any tips on how to make those berzerkers legitimately scary?
>>
>>47753172
This is a pretty good website:
h ttp:// here syc re at or .9 6.wlt /
Generally pretty good, missing some bits though.
take put the spaces
>>
>>47753254
Corpses.
Desecrated in varying ways, cages with remains in them, agonised screams of lobotomised super warriors, low lighting in warm colours (yellows and reds, maybe throw in some ominous chanting and scrapes and shit on the wall.
>>
>>47753279
Make sure to emphasize their bloodlust and the havoc their weapons can wreak in the confined corridors of a space hulk. Have them kool-aid through walls of piping that spray coolant into the corridor that could freeze you solid in under a minute, they'll open airlocks to get to you. Suicidal things that'd make you laugh if they weren't 100% capable of taking you with them.
>>
Defilers are scary. Especially when all the anti-armour the group carries is an inferno pistol, four Krak grenades and an Omnissian Axe.

But damn if it wasn't fun.
>>
>>47753254
Why is there a thunder warrior there?
>>
Rolled 2, 8, 8, 8, 4, 6, 1, 7, 10, 2, 3, 10, 1, 1, 3, 1, 9, 10 = 94 (18d10)

STATS
>>
>>47753457
eldar stasis trap finally let up thanks to party's meddling earlier in the campaign. Now the big boy is all kinds of pissed and also has it in for the party, Allied with Khorne for extra murderpower, so he can start ripping down the imperium with (admittedly rather righteous) fury and gusto. He made some friends in the last few years too, thus the small warband of very very angry men

Also the party grievously wounded him last time they saw him, after he punched the apothecary's face down his own throat. There's a little bit of animosity there
>>
>>47753254
In terms of fluff and descriptions or stats?
>>
>>47753824
Leaning more toward descriptions

I've already tweaked them a bit with Black Crusade special rules and some pumped up stats to make up for the high player count, and the ability to spend a turn stunned instead of dying, and recovering some wounds as a second wind. They'd have to be killed in that stunned state, a la Doom. Figure I'd give my players a chance to make some very cinematic and memorable kills

I'm more looking for descriptions, behaviours, and taunts to make them a bit scarier in the players minds
>>
>>47753852
Blood leaking out of gaps in their armor, weapons and armor shiny and slick with fresh blood, etc.
>>
>>47750085
...Ork Boys with.... Zzap guns?
>>
>>47753888
sorry, the name escaped me for a second, it was snazzgun (close enough)
>>
>>47752574

Ugh,solo games in Dark Heresy tend to not work very well, in my opinion. At heart, I think DH tries to be an investigation/horror game a la Call of Cthulhu in 40k, but most adventures cannot resist throwing a boss fight in the end.

My overall advice if you are solo is to get a good amount of investigative abilities. You have decent social stats,work on those. Get your Ballistic skill higher, but do not expect on it to do too much.

As for skills: In Dark Heresy, your base stats are low. Being good at something will usually be all about the bonuses. Shooting in short range, with red-dot sight and aim is going do nearly double your chances to hit. With skills, it is a bit harder, but again, it is about getting the most boosts to your roll (in that case, it is also about the GM recognizing them). Helped some old gossip with something? That's +10 or 20 to inquiry. With social skills,you also have the disposition of the other party to mind. Make a good first impression at the ball,and the charm test may be at +20.Try to intimidate someone who is currently psyched out of their mind to go on a killing spree? Welp,that might be a -20 or -30.

Also, for the love of the Emprah, Mork, Cegorach or whatever else you worship,wear armor. I imagine losing yours was part of the setup, but try to scavenge or purchase something at the first opportunity.
>>
>>47753950
That's still kind of ridiculous
>>
>>47753960
Yea. Finding armor has been my first Priority.
I have +20 Inquiry and Talented for another 10
I still tend to Fail those.
39: To blather, Decive
Im rather annoyed that as a Arbite Command is So far out of my reach. I was trying to Command during the dust and ash house and stuff was not going my way.
Night.. its late Ill look tomorrow
>>
>>47750995
Sit your boys down to have a rule intro/char gen session on one of your regular nights if it's like getting blood out of a stone. S'what I did and it's worked okay.
>>
>>47752970
Regular forge world is a good starting point, but considering they cost the same points and lathe worlds is hilariously imbalanced and better in every single way there's probably no point.

Augmetics gives you a bonus to logistics tests for cybernetics. Cyber-Enhanced lets you start off with some. At your GM's (your?) discretion, you could also use some of your extra regimental kit points to grab some cybernetics, too. Integrated weapons from Shield of Humanity might be useful to you, but again, they might be too latheworldy, and unless everyone starts with mechanicus implants (i.e. from lathe worlds) you won't have their ridic OP infinite ammo unless you houserule it.

I had a vague concept for a feudal world of serfs and indentured labourers with a strong Adeptus Mechanicus presence, sort of like a Knight World but with a focus on the lower classes rather than the aristocracy in mechas. They provide some vital resource to the mechanicum for its fabrication (i.e. promethium) through massed low-tech mining with a high casualty and injury rate. Their techpriest overseers eagerly fit them with augmetic replacements if they injure themselves, but these augmetics are still considered property of the Machine Cult. Eventually, if they require enough replacements, their bodies and minds are forfeit and they're converted into servitors. Contributing to the planet's Imperial Guard tithe is the sole remaining option the most maimed and enhanced workers have to preserve their minds and souls.

I will post moar if /tg/ is interested.
>>
>>47755494
Same guy, as above, but also just thought: you could let your guys do a logistics test fairly early on for more cybernetics if you want. Shit, medicae and tech-use tests to have these cybernetics installed to prep your guys for war could serve as the mechanical (pun not intended) backdrop to an amazingly atmospheric intro RP.
>>
Can someone explain fully what the Light of Terra is?
>>
>>47755549

A battleship
>>
>>47753172
Check the 2e folder in the MEGA link. I think there's something like that there
>>
File: Spess Maroon Flower.jpg (798 KB, 1410x1600) Image search: [Google]
Spess Maroon Flower.jpg
798 KB, 1410x1600
I'm a first time DM that is going to start my DH 1st edition group with Edge of Darkness.
Any tips for a beginner? Also, I hate to flip through pages wildly, is there a reference sheet of all the common rolls I can use?
>>
>>47756123
Better served doing it yourself.
>>
File: Babby's Guide to Rogue Trader.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Babby's Guide to Rogue Trader.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47756123

It's RT but it should be good for DH1
>>
>>47756185
Thanks a bunch! It even includes a scale for acquisition, awesome.

Yeah, I looked at the other pre-gen, Shattered Hope, and it just seems so out of place to be in a 40k setting, that and one of the few encounters is a tpk unless you have a specific party build.
>>
What are some interesting/unique items from all of the 40k books that a Mechanicus player might be interested in?

double points if it's heretical
>>
>>47756489
I'd recommend checking out DH1e's Lathe Worlds & Radical's Handbook
>>
Do GMs really have so much an issue with players using their influence to accrue a number of tools, bitz and bobz to help you out?
It seems that people get... salty when the influence system allows you to actually get shit.
>>
>>47757141

Most GMs prefer the Throne system because it lets them reign in their players better and control what gear they are allowed to have. The acquisition system takes that power away from the GM and hands it to the players, meaning the GM now has to handle sudden complications the players can enact.
>>
>>47755700
I know that it's a big ass ship that's knackered and personifies more dakka, that's why asked for a full exposition and not just 'a ship'.
>>
>>47756489

Hermetic infusion, transgenic grafting, vitae supplement, psybernetics and aether wave spars, rad furnace, and cybernetica cortex to name a few.
>>
So, I've been kicking around an idea for a super-lance that lets RT players enact the old "slow charging but almighty gun", and I think the rough draft is ready for /40kRPG/.

Turbo-Destructor Cannom
An archeotech weapon of tremendous power, the Turbo-Destructor Cannon is one of the few weapons to earn the coveted and terrible name of Ordinatus Extremis. They are truly titanic weapons capable of channeling the full fury of a vessel’s plasma heart into a single almighty beam fully capable of blowing a battleship in half or glassing vast planetary reaches. Unfortunately, they possess an inconveniently long charging time due to their arcane and ill-understood systems. Every captain in command of such a weapon will inevitably give it a name they feel worthy of its might, and firing the weapon is often by vast religious processions and celebration. Regardless of name, however, they are all the same weapon in principle.
Lance
Space: 6 Power: 5 SP: 4
Damage: 1d10+2 Strength 1 Range: 9 Crit 3

Obliterative: When a Turbo-Destructor scores a critical hit, roll 2d5 and apply both results.

Massive: A Turbo-Destructor may only be installed on ships of Cruiser size or larger, and must occupy a Prow or Keel slot on any ship smaller than a Grand Cruiser.

Charging Sequence: On any Strategic Round that the Turbo-Destructor is not fired, the captain can choose to invest between 1 and 5 additional Power into the cannon. This power drain may depower other components. For every additional Power invested, the Turbo-Destructor gains +2 Damage.
Once 10 or more power has been invested, the Turbo-Destructor additional ignores void shields. At 20 or more additional Power, the sheer magnitude of the laser’s impact deals half damage to any 5other ship within 1 VU of the primary target.
When the Turbo-Destructor is fired, all power invested is lost and must be charged up again from 0, and the cannon cannot be fired or charged for one full Strategic Round.

Thoughts, comments, /tg/?
>>
>>47757245
>The acquisition system takes that power away from the GM and hands it to the players
The players should not have power? There be an artificially enforced medium so the gm need not think?
The game already gives the gm tools to deal with it, from subtlety hits regardless of success to ingame/setting complications. I hate people that can't use what they have.
>>
>>47757374
That sounds way too big to put on a cruiser, unless it's a purpose-built DAoT one.

Imagine the size of the fuses.
>>
>>47757432
>That sounds way too big to put on a cruiser
That's why it's limited to prow/keel slots on cruisers and battlecruisers, both as a mechanical drawback and so fluffwise it has to run through most of the ship, much like a nova cannon, which can also fit cruisers. Its Space requirements are also very high for a lance, so a basic cruiser will have trouble using one in a number of ways.
>>
>>47757374

We have a weapon called the accelerator cannon, it's supposed to be from the great crusade, and I actually did see references to them in the books when I was reading them. It functions as a mix between a bombardment cannon and a super lance normally. We learned that when we connect it to our atomantic arc reactor, another piece of archeotech, it can be arc charged to fire with the force of an atomic in a straight line.

10d10+60 to everything in front of it, not stopping for something like 60 VU. The problem is that after arc charging it damages the cannon and it can't charge up again until repaired. It's a one shot fight opener as long as we can get the charge off. We don't do too well in space, so that gun can barely equalize a fight for us.
>>
>>47753449
I find in these kinds s of situations, "Throw the Tech-priest at it" is rarely a bad idea
>>
>>47757295
>aether wave spars, rad furnace, and cybernetica cortex vitae supplement,

where are these located?
>>
File: dudecarryingalahti[1].jpg (42 KB, 359x313) Image search: [Google]
dudecarryingalahti[1].jpg
42 KB, 359x313
>>47751093
(not constesting that autocannons are ridiculously OP, btw)

This is a finnish Lahti L-39 20mm autocannon from ww2. It can be fired in full auto.
The french also use the M621 autocannon on a light tripod.
In a sci-fi setting where everyone runs on testosterone, even the Sororitas, I think we can accept a man-portable autocannon.
Infinity does it, btw, and manages to keep it balanced with other weapons.

The issue with the rpgs is that they have no scale at all. There isn't any difference between a 20mm and a MBT gun, a 12,7mm HMG is barely more powerful than a rifle, missiles warheads aren't dependant on the launcher, and so on.
It fails at realism and game balance at the same time.
>>
>>47758465
We did that. Well, if you count "accidentally get thrown in the Defiler's general direction" as "throw". And it still almost killed him twice (Critical 7 and 8), by ACCIDENT. It sure as hell trumps Scalies as the scariest thing my character had ever fought on foot.

Unfortunately, we probably have to go back there, and, well, the guards that command left there? They sure weren't the ones to pick up the comms. A long silence followed by ominous whispers was on the other side.

The Cadians freaked the fuck out, and whatever it is this'll probably suck. Even with these boxes of high explosive, I don't feel that good about it.
>>
>>47758772

First one is Hostile Acquisitions. It boosts pushing powers that you can get from the psybernetics. Second two are from The Fringe is Yours. It lets you reduce toughness bonuses and control battle robots, respectively.
>>
>>47753172
There's a digital character sheet app for 2e with all supplements available, can export to pdf as well. Made by DIZElabs and officially endorsed by GW and FFG.
>>
>>47759617
Neat.
>>
I've been trying to get a 40k RPG game going for a long time now, but none of my friends are up to it the cunts
Is there any place you guys can direct me to in order to find a nice group, aside from just scouring d20 and trying to find a party that isn't cancer?
>>
>>47760793
>RPG game
I should kill myself.
>>
How would a sneaky breeki OW regiment go?
>>
>>47761451
Do you mean Cheeki Breeki, Sneaky Beaky or Sneaky Breachy?
>>
>>47761820
Sneaky Beaky
>>
>>47758909
So what would be a better statline for autocannons that would balance them against HBs?
Higher pen, less damage dice?
Say, 2d10+2 pen 8, add a special rule or 2 to give it anti-armor punch?
>>
Rolled 69, 95, 9, 89, 35, 55, 93, 23, 22 = 490 (9d100)

>>47760793
>>47760839
Do you have a flgs nearby?
>>
>>47762350
Just a Games Workshop in a city nearly an hour away from where I live.
>>
>>47762414
Woops. I'm really tired sorry guys
>>
Rolled 2, 25, 62 = 89 (3d100)

>>47762426
It's cool.
Gotta try online, mang.
>>
>>47762455
I've been looking around on roll20 but all the groups that seem fun are full or run systems I've never played in my life. Guess I'll keep looking
>>
In DH2e, is defense or offense a stronger choice in the long run?
>>
>>47762579
Depends on what you're going for.
>>
>>47762579
"Glas Cannon" or "Tank"?
You can still have really strong weapons as "Tank", but if something even just sneezes at the glass cannon it's over. "Tank" doesn't necessarily have to mean high toughness/high armour, high dodge is also important, maybe a force field later.
>>
>>47762873
CC character, but I am looking at overall toughness and utility.
>>47762881
Something in the middle?
This guy is planned to a terror in CC, but I want him to live long enough to enjoy it. High dodge/parry will be paramount as well as the resistances, but I'm looking at things like crushing blow and trying to figure out what is the best use of xp on the long run.
>>
>>47762924
Long run doesn't matter if you don't last long enough to get there in the first place.
>>
>>47761820
>>47761860
I can't decide between ratling and frontier world for it.
>>
>>47762924
same guy as >>47762881
Played a melee assassin in DH1 once, was around 4-5k exp, had barely any wounds or toughness but ridiculous dodge, killed a slightly buffed ork nob in 1on1 melee with only a poisoned knife. If I would have been hit once it'd have been over.
Everything I have learned in the 40k RPGs points to defense beeing superior as long as you at least keep your main attack skill moderately high up, especially in CC where the damage you take is often brutal compared to ranged firefights.
>>
>>47762996
feral world, ratling world, frontier world and death world are all rather good choices for stealth based regiments
>>
>>47762972
I plan on being the one who cheeki breekis, so getting there won't be as much an issue as coming out the other side.
If offense, the crushing/hammer blow series is high on the margin, maybe frenzy. If defense, the resistance line, step aside and such.
With crushing blow, I'm looking at dealing out 1d10+10 pen 5 balanced stunning two handed on a lightning attack with a best quality weapon.
>>47763000
I feel you on that. I plan on having a T4 bonus, decent wounds, maybe 14-17.
>>
>>47763056
Well, plan out exp expenditures right now, one with offense and one with defense and see how much more one will cost over the other.
>>
>>47763074
Now here is the grib, is the weapon cutting the mustard?
It's not a great weapon, and I won't be a psyker, is that enough to throw down with the midline and up nasties I can expect to encounter?
>forgot to say proven 3 as well
>>
>>47763117
If you go feral, why wouldn't you get a great weapon? Guaranteed 6+SB damage is really nice to have.
>>
>>47763117
usually you can hurt most enemies with normal weapons, but the stronger the weapon the more the effectiveness goes up, strenght bonus is also a big thing, it translates directly into bonus damage
>>
>>47763147
Because great weapons are so... trite and expected exactly because of that and I want my lathe bladed, balanced space katana dammit, rule of cool matters, right?
>>
>>47763182
>Not getting a no dachi
Peasant
>>
>>47763182
I am disgusted
>>
>>47763172
SB is gonna be 4 or 5 by the time I'm done.
I'm looking at WS45+, S45+, T45+, Ag50 CC dude.
>>47763200
It IS a nodachi, basically using the long saber from Inquisitor's Handbook with the super trimmings
>>47763215
Haters gon' hate.
>>
>>47763227
SB and TB are very important, and 45 is the same as 40 in that regard
>>
>>47763309
I mean bear minimum. Depending on rolls and xp, at least one will be a 50 as well.
Are there any other acceptable weapons out there that are still applicable for feral bonus that can hit hard and aren't unwieldy?
I did dice probabilities already, and while the great weapon has higher max damage and RF chances, the weapon I have in mind has far better pen and stronger regular damage, overtaking the great weapon with lightning attack handily while having higher defensive properties.
>>
>>47763370
The axe of retribution in Enemies Within.
>>
>>47763389
The only thing, and I am not fond of the weapon otherwise.
>>
Rolled 3, 1, 5 = 9 (3d5)

bump
>>
Is DH 2e any good? I know some people were complaining about it early on, but I haven't had the time to actually read through the books yet
>>
>>47765332
I am a fan.
The feel is a lot closer to the Eisenhorn/Ravenor novels than the Fantasy model DH1e is based on.
As a player, you feel more like a throne agent from the word go, and as a GM, there is far more advice on how to adjudicate situations than the previous books, on top of the mechanics not being as wonky.
What 1e had was years of built up lore going for it, really.
>>
>>47765332
A freshly made character in 2e actually feels like they were a part of the organization they are from and have a good amount of skills and talents.

A freshly made character in 1e feels like a drop out or a really poor bum.
>>
>>47765606
Why did they bother with rank 1 when you start the game 4/5 of the way through it?
>>
>>47765869
Because you could spend xp on elite advances to place yourself lower than that.
>>
What's a 10-20ft mech-style walker that one human can operate? I'm thinking about having something the size of a Warhound Titan or smaller with a crew of one to be used for a boss fight.
>>
>>47766626
Also, I forgot to say- something that you can preferably leave again.
>>
>>47766626
A knight or a sentinel?
>>
>>47766626
a knight is taller than 6m, so sentinel would probably fit the size
>>
>>47767655
>>47766626
I'm all but certain that Sentinels have statlines/rules in the Only War books. Additionally:
>Warhound
>Boss Fight
So full party wipe?
>>
>>47767692
They do, in multiple actually.
As does the warhound.
>>
>>47767692
Well, we're actually talking something similar to or weaker than that being the final stage of the final boss of the whole campaign, who's a dangerous rogue trader. Think the general guy from Avatar.
>>
>>47767692
>>47767701
silly me, I didn't read only war, sentinel pops up in multiple book series, the warhound only in rites of battle
>>
>>47767719
well, that would make it more sturdy than a sentinel (but not necessarily the same firepower), and way weaker than an imperial knight.
in that case it's probably best to look at the stats of those things and pick something in between, I doubt the party stands a chance against a knight or an imperial titan unless someone is a primaris psyker or has min maxed to extreme degrees (unless they have a trap prepared, a similar vehicle or the option to bombard it from orbit)
>>
>>47767769
This, even something like a Hellhound (the chimera variant) has a very solid chance of doing a full party wipe per shot.
>>
>>47768016
Generally any vehicle size 5 or larger can do a tpk alone.
>>
Whoever made the regimental creation pdf might want to double check the points since the Dishonored drawback is worth 3 points, not 2.
>>
Has anyone played something like Orks, Chaos Space Marines or Necrons? How did that work out?
>>
>>47768778
Repurposing RT as all orks party can be great. Acquisition counts as how much you can scare/boss around the other orcs and puny humies into giving you their stuff, and you have options to build a proppa orky ship. Aside from Boy, Mek and Weirdboy that should be characters options already in one of the xeno supplements you can easily rework the Trader class to be the Kaptin, a seneschal for a Bad Moon nob, an arch-militant for a Blood Axe mercenary and so on.
>>
>>47748341
Better question. Are relationships between acolytes frowned upon or the inquisition can't really be bothered to give a fuck about this kind of things?
>>
>>47768958
Probably the latter, but I'm sure individual Inquisitors have their own rules
>>
My RT group is looking for.. a RT.. we have 5-6 players but nobody wanted to to be RT.

Figured I would let my fellow fa/tg/uys know about it.

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3517706/looking-for-a-rogue-trader
>>
>>47769819
If I wasn't already running an RT game in the same timeslot, I'd apply in a heartbeat, but alas...
>>
>>47769819
There is no need to be Rogue Trader class to be THE Rogue Trader
A missionary, an archmilitant or a void-master will be enough
>>
>>47748649
The problem isn't the multilaser itself, it is the man sized internal battery needed to fire it
>>
>>47768778
>>47768945

Deffwotch
>>
Does anyone know if Valkyrie gunships are voidsealed? The supplement for Dark Heresy says they are, but the Rogue Trader adventure stats say they aren't.
>>
>>47771443
Could be that they can BE MADE voidsealed, but it only lasts until they're opened next, allowing you to launch Drop Troop assaults from space, but makes it non-trivial to get the troops back up again. The cockpits would of course stay voidsealed and able to quickly be sealed if you DO get out. And if the cargo space is empty, who cares if it's full of vacuum.
>>
>>47771443
Probably depends on the pattern and intended purpose. Hostile environment high-mobility drop craft? Yeah, it is environmentally sealed. Close air support a la Vietnam? Not void sealed.
>>
>>47771491
>>47771508
Thanks, my GM was wondering whether I could take it down from space in our RT game or whether we would have to enter low orbit
>>
>>47762216
Sounds reasonable.
I'd make it 2d10+6 pen 6, and give it some ammo with razor sharp. A heavy bolter can becomes really nasty once you got the WS to score some degrees of success.

But nerfing only one weapon without looking at the others will always result in the previously penultimate weapon becoming OP.
>>
>>47765491
I've been reading through a bit, and it's a shame that they got rid of the Calixis sector. Still, sometimes a full reboot is a better idea than a slight change.
>>
>>47772396
And really there ain't nothing stopping you from continuing to use old fluff with the new mechanics.
>>
>>47773751
That was my plan
>>
Decided to see what I could do with a salvage and recovery regiment. Seems more like an NPC regiment, but I could see it being used for campaigns that aren't combat heavy.

Characteristic Modifiers: +8 Intelligence, +3 Perception, -3 Strength
Starting Skills: Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech, Imperial Guard, War), Linguistics (Low Gothic, Techna Lingua), Logic, Tech-Use +10, Operate (Surface), Security, Trade (Technomat)
Starting Traits: Mechanicus Implants
Starting Talents: Nerves of Steel OR Battlefield Tech-Wright, Technical Knock
Starting Aptitude: Tech

Standard Kit: 1 Laspistol (Main Weapon) +2 charge packs, 1 knife, 1 flak vest, 1 IG flak armor, 2 weeks rations, 1 anointed maintenance toolkit, 1 lascutter, 1 servo arm, 1 Atlas recovery tank per squad
Favored Weapons: Meltagun, Multi-laser

Isolated by Machines
Soldiers of the Omnissiah
Sappers Special
Normal Wounds

Lathe, Phlegmatic, Salvage and Recovery, Defenders of the Omnissiah, Sappers, Mistrusted

Any ideas for a name for this regiment? Idea behind them was a support regiment from a lathe world to keep the imperial war machine in working order in larger combat zones and have built up a reputation of going into a war zone to recover a vehicle without helping in any other way at all.
>>
>>47774924
You could make them a recovery arm of a Skitarii Armored Regiment.
>>
>>47768778

I'd love to run an all necron game one day, but I don't think I can do it justice. We have a necron player already in our RT game, and he really makes things fun though.
>>
Is trying to bring alternate career ranks into DH2e worth it? Maybe make them so that you could buy certain advances at a set price, rather than based on your Aptitudes?
>>
>>47768642
I think you've got an old version m8. In RegimentCreation 2.0.pdf dishonored is a 2 point refund.
>>
File: Capture.png (98 KB, 382x181) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
98 KB, 382x181
>>47780529
Hence why I am pointing it out.
>>
>>47768778
All CSM parties in Black Crusade can get pretty fun. Usually some flavour of everyone trying to kill each other.
>>
>>47780631
So it is. Issue has since been fixed in the Additional Resources folder. MEGA guy will need to reupload if he wants it fixed in the Homebrew Megafolder.

AR link: https://mega.nz/#F!XgRDEDAJ!Np6F-HqCwdYzHXmeSs7m7w
>>
>>47780898
Like I said, I'm in a situation where I'm unable to upload to MEGA until Sunday night. Rural DSL can suck my unstable balls.
>>
>>47780898
>2.0: 303 kb
>3.0: 298 kb
What.
>>
>>47781230
Hell if I know. I just changed a 2 to a 3.

>>47781202
Fine with me. Just making sure you were aware. And yeah, rural internet sucks.
>>
>>47780631
Ah, I get it. Good call.

I started absorbing Only War last week, hopefully I'll be DMing my first game with 4 bros on Saturday.
>>
How viable / fun / possible is urban fight / clearing in only war? Because my understanding of it is large scale fight with squad scale mechanics. Is that wrong? I havent read the rules because I didn't think I'd enjoy it / be able to run it till now.
>>
How do i lose the mantle of "the asshole" in my deathwatch group.

No one helps me besides one person in the group. How do i repair my relationship with the other players? My previous character was a raven guard sniper and i did dickish things with him. Now i'm running a dark angels libby. How do i play him? I've also been sited as "too technical". In a fucking rpg.
>>
>>47781816
Apologize to your group members? Idk, people who are labeled as the asshole usually deserve to be labeled that way.

As for DA Librarian, I would have picked a different chapter. While the DA's aren't as dickish as the Marines Malevolent, they have their reputation for a reason. Maybe a Salamanders Librarian would work better (If your game hasn't yet started). As for how to play either, immerse yourself in the fluff. Best answer I can give
>>
>>47781579
There are 2 or 3 regimental options for close-quarters/urban fighting.
>>
>>47782070
That's good to hear, are the rules fairly comprehensive?

How does it work in relation to the large scale feel? Or is that not a factor
>>
>>47782535
Different OP, but I'd say it's not a factor. The scale of the battle usually depends on how many enemies you throw at the guys, how difficult they are and the weapons and tactics they're using to clear them out, as well as any flavourful DM descriptions you provide about the scale of the battle going on around them.
>>
>>47782550
Thats good to know! Thanks, now I'll just try to see if I can round anyone up to give it a go in a couple weeks, thank you both :)
>>
>>47782636
No worries, anon! Please keep /40krpg/ posted with updates from how your campaigns plans are coming along. I love Only War and I've love to hear what you think of it as you get further into the system.
>>
When making OW regiments, do you allow multiple drawbacks to be taken? I don't really see why you wouldn't especially when so many go so well with regimental concepts.
>>
>>47783433
Sometimes, but when I do, you only get the drawback points from the biggest one.
>>
Can you manifest psychic powers while engaged in melee in Only War?
>>
>>47783785
Where does it say you can't? You can.
>>
Any idea for a regiment from a shrine world that isn't some variation of deus vult?
>>
File: 1462409656588.jpg (63 KB, 400x401) Image search: [Google]
1462409656588.jpg
63 KB, 400x401
>>47781816
>i did dickish things with him
What did you do?
>>
Is Rogue Trader a good system to start off with? I like the 40k universe but I've only played the 5th edition of D&D.
>>
>>47784308
Use Shrine World rules for a night-stricken Cemetery World. Its people are pious, but understated and severe rather than rabid and bombastic in their expressions of faith. They were not initially expected to contribute regiments to the Guard, but after the emergence of the Plague of Unbelief and an outbreak on their homeworld they have contributed volunteer forces to the fight against Chaos. Think something like Morr's Black Guard from WFRP and you're halfway there.

Hell, go all out in the opposite direction from deus vult, play up the nightsiders thing and roll them up as a regiment of sneeki breekis.
>>
>>47785054
People say DH is the core of /40krpg/ for good reason, and honestly I'd say DH 2E is probably the easiest system to learn, but Rogue Trader is probably the most amenable to players coming in from D&D as it's the system that's most tonally similar to a mismatched party of adventurers going on swashbuckling romps together.
>>
>>47783433
It quickly leads to hilariously broken regiments if you give them that many points, though. Some of the drawbacks are really minor and situational and perhaps best fluffed.
>>
>>47785100

Yeah, I figured it would be the one that doesn't require the deepest understanding of the setting since you're on frontier worlds. Most of my group aren't that familiar with 40k and I don't want to pause the session every 5 minutes to explain why an imperial guardsman can't exactly tell a commissar to fuck off.
>>
Anyone played or had a game with electro-vox warfare regiments? They get a lot of neat tech, but I don't really have any idea how to work them into the game beyond that.
>>
Does your GM pull dick moves whenever a new guy enters the group by not telling him the team composition?

My Deathwatch GM is pulling that on us, so we have three assault marines, a devastator, a tac marine and a librarian. We keep on barely surviving because we don't have an Apothecary, but our GM refuses to let the new guys know that we don't have one.
>>
File: 1455300073068.jpg (134 KB, 1212x659) Image search: [Google]
1455300073068.jpg
134 KB, 1212x659
>>47787317
Nah.
But then... we relatively seldom have new players. We're pretty tight knit, so if someone new comes in they're probably someone else's friend/SO/what have you.
For a while I was starting new players at lower XP, in my mind as a way of "balancing" the inherent advantages of starting with a higher level character, but now I don't really care.
>>
>>47787317
That's a dick move. What possible reason - other than a power trip - could he have that he would care about someone knowing the group's composition?
>>
>>47787587
He says its so that people can play what they want to play, but a lot of people like chainswording things, which leaves us with a lot of assault marines, and none of the "boring" roles like Tech-Marine or Apothecary
>>
>>47787635
The three - albeit short - games of Deathwatch I've played, one friend had a massive blast as the Apothecary, and I really enjoyed the Tech Marine.

The new guy might really want to play Tactical/Assault but be just as happy with an Apothecary, having a choice is always preferable than coming in blind and finding you're just another Assault Marine.
>>
>>47787671
The problem with Apothecary and Tech-Marine is they fall off late game in terms of damage compared to the Assault, and right now we are hitting all the fancy weapons like Thunder Hammers, so the Assaults are generally doing the most damage.
>>
>>47786261
It seems more like something built for a one-off, doesn't it? I'm really not sure how much you'd be able to use it before it gets repetitive. Maybe combine it with a guerilla regiment and play in a guerilla warfare type campaign?
>>
>>47788194
That's what I thought too, but then they made a forge world recon regiment with it, and I'm like 'who can I put these guys against that would make them even remotely useful?'. And they've taken 4 weeks of rations as standard kit, so I can only imagine they want to fuck off behind enemy lines and jam signals and shit like that.
>>
>>47788269
If you've read the Gaunt's Ghosts books, the events on Gereon (both during Traitor General, and in the period before His Last Command) might be a good source of inspiration on how to run/play a guerilla regiment. But yeah, that's about the only use I can see for it, and even then, it's because it's built with a certain type of regiment for a certain type of campaign.
>>
>>47787704
Isn't the entire point of specialists like apothecaries that they do things other than damage?
>>
>>47788320
Sadly I've only been able to read Last Command and Guns of Tanith. I guess I'll just make up some stuff about intercepting enemy signals and passing them back to command every now and again while they play their recon regiment.
>>
>>47787704
I can understand that a bit, even Deathwatch has more to it than pure damage dealt though.

It can be a little frustrating if there's nothing but combat and you're plunking away at the enemies every time I guess, but maybe that says more about the GM/campaign than the class.
>>
>>47788371
That's the point of them, but a lot of people like big damage numbers instead of healing the people who do big damage numbers.
>>
File: Johnny.jpg (172 KB, 953x1280) Image search: [Google]
Johnny.jpg
172 KB, 953x1280
How would you stat Johnny?
>>
>>47788408
If you want to read more, then you're in luck.
https://mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

You'll need to install something that lets you read EPUB files, but those are easy to find.
>>
>>47779869

Fucking disgusting.
>>
so I'm a noob (researching before purchasing), is it good practice to have as many editions of the rule book as possible or do people only play the most up-to-date set of rules?
>>
>>47789889
There's generally no reason whatsoever to have rulebooks handy for editions other than the one you play.
>>
>>47789889
Dark Heresy is the only one with a 2nd edition so far, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. That said, you could use the fluff from one series with the gameplay from another, if you so choose.
>>
>>47788432
4/4/4/4/1/4/1/8/3+
Bolter
Bolt pistol
he is a space marine after all
>>
>>47788432
I think that bolter clip is a demonic conduit senpai.
>>
>>47790663
>>47789942
cheers, how do I know if the copy of an armies codex I have is the up to date one? I google a particular armies codex and it'll give say, the 4th edition, but then I'll google "7th edition" and it'll give me that edition, so I'm kind of lost, do I just keep googling with a higher number until the results become unrelated?
>>
>>47791434
Mainstream 40k is (I believe) in 7th ed. right now. Could be wrong though. The easiest way to check if your codex is up to date is to go to the Games Workshop website, and check there. That said, I recommend against buying any books off their site, as they're ridiculously overpriced. Check the 40k general for the Mega folder that will have those.
>>
>>47791512
oh no, yh, I get not purchasing them, but some of their codex's aren't "editioned" at all. Anyway yh, I was told that you go off of the editiont he main game is in.
>>
>>47791512
Yeah, 7e.
>>
>>47785100
I've actually found Only War to be the easiest to learn, but to each their own
>>
>>47795519
none of the systems is hard to learn, but if you claim that only war is easier to learn than dark heresy you are lying
>>
>Repostan cause wrong thread:

Playing BC and my CSM/SM (it's complicated) pissed off a Great Unclean One a while back.
Well, it's come back and it wants a rematch. Presumably in its GUO form. To kill my character dead.

Now, it's agreed to not use any sorcery in our duel. So we have that.
And I've devised a plan:
Get an impact weapon. And a Power Weapon.
Get said impact weapon blessed (we can do this easily).
Use Power Weapon to smash his sword. (so he can only do 1d10-4/1d10-6 unarmed attacks)
Wreck his kneecaps until his agility falls to 0.
Laugh. Then finish him.

Unfortunately, the plan relies on us getting lucky with our Zealous Hatred.
But, still, my CSM/SM can boost his Agility (and therefor dodge) up to 75 using drugs, so we're good.

But I'd like to know if any of you have any suggestions or have spotted any glaring issues. Aside from agreeing to fight a GUO in melee combat while relying on luck.
Oh, he DID promise a big reward if we defeated him. But it's pretty much a guaranteed trap.

So, help?
>>
I'm about to join a Dark Heresy game this sunday. I've been a 40k fan for years so I know the fluff for the most part, but have never played any of the rpgs. What I know about the group so far is we have a desperado with a focus in sniping and sneaking aroud and two tech priests. One with a focus on land nav/vehicles the other covering space nav/ships. I'm told we will have access to a few npcs to cover some missing skills. mostly knowledge checks.

Any suggestions for a first time player?
>>
>>47796458
>Great Unclean One
>Only doing 1d10-4 with unarmed
Are you absolutely sure you're talking about a GUO? The one in core has Unarmed Master and Crushing Blow and a SB/WS 10/49 along with 22 TB and regeneration 5.
>>
>>47796963
I factored in the 16 points of AP and TB he'll need to bore through. Legion armor.
This is, of course, assuming he doesn't try for an All-Out Attack (which would be punished harshly).
>>
File: 1458936383236.png (709 KB, 688x767) Image search: [Google]
1458936383236.png
709 KB, 688x767
>>47796458
Can a Greater Daemon's sword really be destroyed by a power weapon? That doesn't sit quite right with me.
>>47796515
Consider playing a talky or religious character, with a secondary focus on some kind of combat. Tech Priests are notoriously bad at interaction, and the Desperado sounds more like a killer than a charmer. If you want to investigate something, you gotta know how to get people to tell you what you want to know. Sometimes shooting at them is a good plan, but other times you need to be subtle. An adept or cleric wouldn't be a bad place to start looking.
>>47779869
There's a Necron on your RT crew?
That would mean you have Newcrons as part of your canon, which makes you a bad person who should feel bad.

I'd still like to hear stories though.
>>
Since no one noticed the other thread:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/06/16/warhammer-40000-inquisitor-martyr-gameplay-showcase-ign-live-e3-2016
>>
>>47798367
AdMech is a good idea for players new to the system, but knowledgeable of the lore. Can become late-game rapemachines, and early game not only have more lore access than anyone short of Admin, they have in-character reasons to be lore-lawyers. Any combat shortcomings can be covered by grenades.
>>
>>47798367
>can a greater daemon's sword really be destroyed by a power weapon
Yes.
It lacks the Power Field trait, and does not have the Warp Weapon trait. Meaning it's only as tough as a mortal blade.
So, amusingly, Bloodletters have more durable weapons than GUOs.
>>
>>47798826
Just to be safe you should double-check for errata on that point.
>>
>>47798856
BC errata doesn't mention a thing about GUOs or daemons' swords (aside from Khorne daemons).
It seems that being able to sunder a greater daemon's blade is going to stay. Unless I missed an obscure sentence somewhere.
>>
>>47798856
What are you gonna go when he grapples you?
>>
>>47798826
>>47798932
He could up an use the 2e version of the GUO on you where it is even tougher to kill and its weapon DOES have the power field qualit.
>>
>>47796458
A GUO may not view using Nurgle's Rot as using a psychic power considering what it is.
>>
>>47799060
It's also entirely possible it'll try to cheat as much as possible.

Like bringing backup.
>>
>>47798367

Leaning toward cleric or seeker at the moment. Just don't want to run into the situation where i do all the talking/skill checks while everyone else has nothing to do but blow stuff up.

>>47798811

>Any combat shortcomings can be covered by grenades.

I will keep this in mind, thanks.
>>
>>47799289
Just make sure to remember you can still take half/full actions to aim a grenade since you really don't want them to scatter.
>>
>>47780898
More issues I found:

Incompetent Leadership is actually worth 5 points
Lost Homeworld, Iconoclast, and Primitive aren't even on the list
>>
I don't get Deathwatch character creation.
Am I a retard?
>>
>>47800361
What's your problem with it? It seems quite straightforward at a glance.
>>
>>47800410
Well to be fair I was both quite tired and quite inebriated last time I looked at the rules, but which traits you have by default and which you don't was confusing me for 5 minutes straight. Let my find the book again and if I still don't get it, I'll just kill myself.
I don't even know why I'm doing it anyways, none of my friends want to play Deathwatch but I just want to play a 40k RPG so badly fuck
>>
>>47800445
Well, there's always roll20...
By default you get all the talents, traits and skills listed on page 36, just because you're a space marine. Then you get the stuff from your class, i.e specialty. Our base characteristics are 2d10+30 to everything.

So, if you're a Black Templars Tactical Space Marine, first of all you get all this from being a space marine.

Starting Skills: Awareness, Ciphers (Chapter Runes), Climb, Dodge, Common Lore (Adeptus Astartes, Imperium, War), Concealment, Drive (Ground Vehicles), Intimidate, Literacy, Navigation (Surface), Scholastic Lore (Codex Astartes), Silent Move, Speak Language (High Gothic, Low Gothic), Tactics (Choose one), Tracking.

Starting Talents: Ambidextrous, Astartes Weapons Training, Bulging Biceps, Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight), Killing Strike, Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw, Resistance (Psychic Powers), True Grit, Unarmed Master.

Starting Traits: Unnatural Strength (x2), Unnatural Toughness (x2).

In addition, you get the implants.

Then, if you're a member of Deathwatch (which you, by default, are) you get Common Lore (Deathwatch) and Forbidden Lore (Xenos) with +10. In addition, you get Deathwatch Training talent.

Then, we get the Black Templars boni, which is +5 to weapon skill, +5 willpower and Righteous Zeal solo mode ability. Also, our zygotes are shit.

For being Tacticool we then get Command at +10, and get to choose between Bolter Mastery or Tactical Expertise special abilities.
Now, our character has 1000xp to spend, which we could spend on +5 to our weapon skill and ballistic skill so we can shoot and hack shit up.

Our wounds are 1d5+18, average 20 or 21, we get 3-5 fate points depending on a d10 (see page 27). Now everything you need for your BT Tactical is power armour quirk & history, past experiences, background, personality and other fluff.
>>
>>47750995
Might be for the best. If they can't do that what's the chances of them showing up for regular game sessions?
>>
>>47798506
Man, the animations in this are kinda crap. Nothing feels like it has any weight or speed. Art style is lovely, but in motion it all looks so feeble.
>>
>>47800591
I was just finally figuring this out by myself, I don't know why I was so retarded before.
Thank you for the effort man, I appreciate it!
>>
>>47799410
>>since you really don't want them to scatter.
>Not being a badass and dropping them at your feet because you have Armor 8 and TB 6+ and are basically immune to most frags
>>
>>47800966
No worries mate, all of us are retarded some times. Happy you were able to figure it out, and I hope you'll get a group to play with!
>>
I'm running a game of OW and we got to a point where the PC's regiment needs to board a rogue trader ship to capture a captain suspected of heresy and charged with high treason. There's been a bit of a swerve from ork bashing to intrigue and in-Imperium backstabbing lately and my players seem to like it.

Unfortunately I noticed that basic las and SP weapons do shit damage to the point they're practically a non-threat even in human guardsman vs human guardsman scenarios. Maybe I just roll super shit all the time but unless I force pinning checks all the time (which is kinda unfair considering how retarded OW's aptitudes system is in regards to Willpower) I can't even inconvenience my PCs, and likewise my PCs who use non-hellguns las weapons don't do shit to enemies except maybe shave off one wound or two per round. Maybe.

Is this as intended? It's kind of disheartening to be forced to resort to special weapons all the time to give the feeling that there's a threat ahead when facing human opposition. Boarding shotguns and naval pistols are a joke, the party is over 3000 XP by now and most people have carapace armour or TB+AV around 8 anyways.

Any ideas on how to make basic weapons more of a threat without jumping from "ha ha joke weapon" to "ONE HIT KILL"? Am I just using them wrong?
>>
>>47801398
I can't find an overly easy solution. I guess las weapons work by releasing so much thermal energy in such a short amount of time that they kind of explosively vaporize whatever surface they hit. Maybe add a rule that consecutive las shots slowly degrade a targets armor or increase the damage per shot?
>>
>>47801398
>Unfortunately I noticed that basic las and SP weapons do shit damage to the point they're practically a non-threat even in human guardsman vs human guardsman scenarios
You're using them wrong. Lasguns and Autoguns become dangerous because of volume of fire, Lasgun Variable setting rule and Autogun specialist ammunition. Getting shot once by a lasgun is no biggie, getting shot 6 times in the same round by one guy? Now you're starting to look rather worried at your rapidly depleting HP pool. Also, armour degradation. If your players get shot enough, their armour will stop being as protective as it was by virtue of being blown to bits.

And you should definitely use pinning to make combat more challenging. If you want to challenge your players, make foes smarter.

>Boarding shotguns and naval pistols are a joke, the party is over 3000 XP by now and most people have carapace armour or TB+AV around 8 anyways.

Kinda sounds like you've rewarded them too good gear to early.
>>
>>47801398
Against "regular" soldiers a lasgun will be doing 1d10-4 damage per hit, assuming those soldiers are wearing full flak. Flak armour is actually pretty good against standard weaponry. It's the nature of the game. Two or three solid hits are going to put a fully armoured soldier down, most likely (unless you're doing crit damage for every single mook, which is madness), whereas special weaponry will be dropping them significantly quicker.

If your players know that they're going up against armoured enemies then give them a chance to requisition some gear to help. Manstopper rounds or hotshot packs, maybe a bolt weapon or two.

As for the enemy, weight of fire should still be a sufficient threat. Sure, you may have some grizzled veteran with TB 5, but enough shots are still going to bring them down and there's always the risk of mini-crits from Righteous Fury. Toughness and armour buys you better odds of not eating it when under fire, not the ability to endure massed fire.

Also, flame weapons. Both sides. They'll cause havoc in enclosed spaces, so both sides should be bringing them to the party.
>>
>>47801398
Use numbers. If I'm using GEQ or Ork troops with poor BS and shitty guns, I toss 4-6 troops per player at them and pile on until around 1 hit per round sticks and does 1-3 Wounds. Given that no one should have more than 15 or so Wounds, the promise of a 5 turn clock or so will make them sweat, never mind the dice turning againsy them and landing six solid hits in a turn. It also makes them feel like badasses when they kill one or two mooks every round and finish off a small army through superior firepower and tactics.
>>
>>47801398
Is there no seargent in the group? If there is, why isn't it using Get Them! ?
>>
How much will my party likely hate me with this character i just rollled ?

Homeworld; Daemonworld
Background: Exorsiced
Role: Penitent
ElieAdvance: Psyker (unsanctioned)

Chosen psychic powers from Malific Daemonology ( dark flame and possession )

Guessing my equipment choices doesnt matter much right now.
>>
So do Pyrophoric Vambraces deal 2d10 fire damage from setting people on fire? That seems really OP
>>
>>47801972
Nope, no sarge.

>>47801642
>>47801503
>>47801484
My experiences have likely been biased by really, really swingy rolls. I ran them through the introductory adventure in Hammer of the Emperor first and the one in the Core Rulebook second (with some amendments and variations to better fit their regiment and a bit of overarching plot) and... Well, capturing the general and escaping the Dark Eldar went like a breeze, then they all nearly died against three ork boys (three) despite about 1500 xp under their belt and decent equipment already, and then they took a refinery from orks in much superior forces and held it against even superior assaults without breaking a sweat.

Granted, they're usually quite smart and careful in what they do, they don't charge blindly or anything, so if they use superior tactics and make creative use of their specialized equipment and roll well on top of that I have no qualms with them winning relatively easy.

But I guess it just boils down to the fact that they either roll really well or really, really bad with almost no in-between. Same goes for me (Haven't rolled under 77 for the Dark Eldar, I swear).

That and I'm still new to GMing the game. I'll try increasing the amount of mooks and look for what specialized boarding equipment can offer without resorting to excessive use of special weaponry. Then again they're inching towards platoon command thanks to their actions so that will open up a new level of challenge in managing a regiment made of survivors of a lost planet reinforced by residual elements of other, unlucky regiments.
>>
>>47803113
>Hammer of the Emperor
Meant the Game Master's Kit, sorry. The one with the Dark Eldar. You know which one.
>>
File: 1459835004204.jpg (297 KB, 449x799) Image search: [Google]
1459835004204.jpg
297 KB, 449x799
>>47798826
Yeesh. Being blatantly honest with you Anon, I'd consider asking your GM about that. If I was Gming an encounter with GUO, I'd almost certainly make his blade as powerful as a Bloodletter's.
Is there a setting reason it wouldn't be? Do GUOs just pick up whatever piece of junk is on the ground and use it as a weapon, or do they really just have flimsy, shitty daemon swords?
>>
>>47802468
Why so edgy?
>>
>>47798826
Considering the fact that FFG is hilariously incompetent when it comes to editing and letting mistakes slip through the cracks, as a GM I'd just say "Fuck you, the Greater Demon's weapon cannot break"
>>
>>47803380
Why so no fun ?
>>
>>47798367

Newcrons > Oldcrons though
>>
>>47802497
and corrosive damage, yes they are FUN, especially if used against the party
>>
I need some help understanding the vehicle upgrades section of Shield of Humanity, specifically the part referring to guardsmen being able to requisition them.

There is no listed rarity for any of them from what I can see unless if the install/repair base difficulty is supposed to be it?
>>
>>47751828
My group just started playing OW and we tried a regular grid, it worked alright and everyone liked being able to visualize what is happening, but we had some issues with diagonal movement and shooting. So we ordered a hex map and are going to test it out tonight. From what I understand, hex maps are generally better for games with firearms.
>>
>>47748341
Sure, why not.
>>
File: Thousand Son.jpg (118 KB, 765x1043) Image search: [Google]
Thousand Son.jpg
118 KB, 765x1043
>>47747004
Black Crusade to play, because I love the broad scope of it and player possibilities. Right now in the game I'm running, we have a mentally fractured Thousand Sons sorcerer trying to build a Black Crusade with Fenris as its target for some long-awaited vengeance.
>>
>>47799857
Not going to be able to fix that for a couple days, but when I can I will
>>
File: My orkoid compatriot.jpg (39 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
My orkoid compatriot.jpg
39 KB, 400x400
>>47768945
>>
>>47801466
Not him, but I thought there was already a rule about armor degradation?
>>
>>47806570
Only applies to cover.
>>
>>47803113
As someone who has done a lot of ship boarding actions, these are the biggest points for the defenders you must consider.

First, home field advantage. The ratings and armsmen know the ground far better than your PCS ever could. Traps and ambushes aplenty. Not to mention that the PCS ship can be knocked away from boarding distance, stranding them on the hostile ship. They're playing for time, not kills.

Secondly, this is also their home. If they're treated well (it can happen) they will fight tooth and nail. Throw suicide units at them, or groups that make bitter stands to delay them so the tech adepts can seal bulkheads and trap them. Families will fight against them, and you might have a bunch of preteens with pistols try to take them on, because they're all that stand between the PCS and their kin now.

Three, servitors. I think that says enough. Both industrial and combat though the latter would be used defensively more than anything.

Four, the Rogue Trader's House Guard are not armsmen. Treat them as stormtroopers with even shinier bits. Whether that is plasma guns, or just really cool looking ceremonial gear they use to deadly effect, that's your call.

Finally, outside of the primary engine spaces or Warp drive, the bridge is the most heavily defended area. Wide open marble halls, filed with trophies and hidden/not so hidden gun emplacements. It should be a killing zone, unless the Trader is a right arrogant bastard (or you can teleport to their.) The Astropath and Navigator spire entrances would also be on the same level as the bridge, with the main temple to the Emperor close at hand.

May this wall of text be useful.
>>
So Im playing a Space Wolf Tactical Marine in a Deathwatch campaign.
For RPing my character my group has always been pushing me to charge into combat blindly but at the same time I want to approach things in a smarter, more tactical way. how would I go about that without my group telling me Im breaking Space Wolf character? Also how does squad mode and cohesion work? I have a Dark Angel in my group who is kind of a dick in character (and OoC) but the rest of my team follows my lead pretty well. How can I use squad mode to improve my team's performance? So far we've done okay without it, but Id like to take advantage of it if i can, the problem is that it's a fairly confusing system to me.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.