[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - Feat Synergy Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Let's discuss class/feat, feat/feat, cross-character synergies.

Last time... >>47717416
>>
File: UA-Feats-V1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA-Feats-V1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Rolled 1 + 18 (1d20 + 18)

>This month's Unearthed Arcana
>Feats V1

-Barbarian with Flail Mastery
-Mastermind Rogue with Fell-Handed
>Rogue dual-wields a hand-axe and shortsword
>Rogue sneak attacks with the shortsword, takes the Help action with his bonus action, knocks away an opponents shield with his handaxe: +2 to the Barbarian's
>Barbarian uses bonus action to prepare to attack over shields: +2 to all flail attacks
>Barbarian attacks: Reckless attack advantage, +2 from Fell-Handed help, +2 from Flail Master bonus action, +1 from Flail Mastery, +7 Str, +6 Proficiency: Attack roll = 1d20 + 18

Attack roll = 1d20+18
>>
>>47732821
Sentinel Polearm Battlemaster master race.
>>
File: Ndc6IOo.png (407 KB, 2400x3300) Image search: [Google]
Ndc6IOo.png
407 KB, 2400x3300
So what character sheet do you use? I kinda like this one
>>
File: 5e_Character-Sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e_Character-Sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47732871
That's pretty standard. I use pic related just because it's the one I've had access to, BUT I believe the megatrove has class-specific sheets.
>>
>>47732821
Wizard with Keen Mind only needs to produce his spellbook when he scribes new spells and otherwise once per month to review it. Can prepare spells from memory.
>>
>>47732841
But since AC doesn't scale, by the time you have 6 proficiency, you won't need all this work to hit.
>>
Anyone know if you could cast Booming Blade via the Warcaster/Polearm Master combo to prevent something from closing once they enter your reach unless they choose to take "Boom" portion of Booming Blade?
>>
would it be okay if i run some character ideas by you guys?
please note that some of these hinge on homebrew and/or houserules in some cases
>>
>>47732992
Still pretty respectable on the way up. 20 Str at level 8 is a +5 modifier, proficiency bonus is +3, you're looking at +13 on your attack roll.

1d20+13 is not bad. And at level 20 with that 18, you're gonna have a hard time missing. Even on a 1, you're recklessly attacking so you're only rolling snake eyes once per four hundred rolls (on average).
>>
File: 5e_EE_Spells_Booming-Blade.png (25 KB, 481x494) Image search: [Google]
5e_EE_Spells_Booming-Blade.png
25 KB, 481x494
>>47733022
You would also need Spell Sniper to double the reach on Booming Blade. Viable build if you take one of those feats at level 1 with Human Variant.

>>47733024
You came to the right place.
>>
So, how do you get around the general ability of casters to overshadow martials? Martials can keep up with the "reduce enemy HP" side of things, but I'm not sure how to make sure they can stay interesting and have as much narrative impact/problem-solving impact as casters.
>>
>>47733024
well, one uses homebrew in a sense, and the other depends on whether thrown spears/other polearms are effected by ranger spells
the others are just unusual class/background pairings
>>
>>47733111
Don't handwave physical challenges.
>>
>>47733111
I think that martials should get higher proficiency bonuses.
>>
>>47733111
>Problem solving impact
Spells have limits
Spells don't do everything
Anything a spell can do, a skill monkey can probably handle without getting a mob on their ass
>>
>>47733236
Spells can do so many things that finding a niche for martials is increasingly difficult once you start getting to high levels, though, especially because a lot of the utility spells that can just magic away problems martials can solve use low-level spell slots, which are less and less valuable the higher your level gets.
>>
So, I'm making a half elf lore bard. Can I get some help on how to differentiate him from all the other half elf bards around?
>>
>>47733091
awesome!
okay, first thing's first, the homebrew dependant one
dragon bloodline sorcerer (green dragon)
bloodline's strong enough that, in addition to some noticeable physical mutation, spells known deal poison damage instead of their standard element
this can be adjusted at the gm's discretion
>>
What can a martial do that a wizard-controlled Simulacrum of that martial can't?
>>
>>47733406
Regain hitpoints without the wizard having to sell their own kidneys.
>>
I feel like you'd need to go through and manually cull spells from the full casters' spell lists that step on martials' toes too much, but then you're basically handing your players a list of "allowed spells" and you look like a jackass.
>>
>>47733455
Second Wind wouldn't work?
>>
>>47733341
5e poison is pretty weak because it's commonly resisted (poison damage is halved).
>>
>>47733558
yeah, unfortunately
i just liked the concept of a magic user built around a less commonly used damage type
it was either that or acid, and poison seemed more versatile
>>
>>47733307
>Wasting a spell slot when your skill monkey can do it for free

For what purpose? Casting a spell is rarely much more expedient than just letting the rogue do his thing.
>>
>>47733307
What you're saying is that you're either a terrible DM or the same baiting martialfag, both of which are bad things.
>>
>>47733515
Simulacra do not get Second Wind or any healing capability.
>>
>>47733775
I dunno, even *that* doesn't sit right with me. The Rogue is useful not because there are things magic can't do or that are expensive/impractical to do with magic, but because the Wizard can't be bothered.

>>47733787
>martialfag
I'm not too sure what that means.

I'm here to learn ways that good DMs level the playing field, so if I'm a terrible DM, then I'm at least hoping to learn from better ones.
>>
What cheekiness can i pull by pretending to be a naive human fighter? Magic user proficiency? Another class that can pass as a fighter only to reveal something 'i s-shouldnt be able to do' at a climax
>>
>>47733801
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY
>>
Would a printing press with appropriate inks and probably magic text heads be able to mass print (probably low level) spell scrolls?
>>
>>47733846
>implying it's wrong
Go back to playing 3e

>>47733867
No, the process involves ritual and shit. It's not just writing text.
>>
>>47733813
Your rogue can also almost universally do his thing better than the wizard could. Sure the wizard can open locks with Knock, but he'll also wake up the entire neighborhood in the process. He could cast Invisibility and try sneaking, but the rogue will still sneak better.

Now a bard can do all that AND still have expertise, in exchange for doing poorer in combat. The fairness of that exchange is debatable, but I feel that's more of a individual class balance issue than a greater balance issue.
>>
>>47732960
that's actually pretty genius, never thought of that one
>>
>>47733973
I find merging some of the martial classes together helps quite a bit.
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 818x701) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 818x701
>>47733314
>>
>>47732821
Warcaster + Reach Weapon + Hold Monster/SCAG Swordmage cantrips.

Crossbow Mastery + Eldritch Blast with Agonizing and Repelling Blast

You can basically combine any Charisma caster with any other Charisma caster, but specific shoutouts to the Sorcadin being able to burn SP for more smites or Oathbreaker Paladin/Lore Bard to do goofy shit with your poached Animate Dead and Aura of Hate.

Battlemaster Fighter/Swashbuckler Rogue to get three shots to get two SA attempts.
>>
>>47734335
Story would be better if it didn't have the bard rolling 2 natural 20s and UNLIMITED SIX WORKS
>>
>>47734335
>shittystorythatneverhappened.jpg
>>
next up, concept that depends on house rule
young spear-fisherman who had an encounter with what he describes "something wrong" when his ship was torn apart during a particularly unusual storm

(hunter ranger/ old ones bladelock)

heavily depends on whether spears can be used as ammunition in ranger spells

unsure how many levels after 3 should be warlock
feat/spell suggestions appreciated
>>
File: This-is-how-i-monk.jpg (99 KB, 909x835) Image search: [Google]
This-is-how-i-monk.jpg
99 KB, 909x835
>>47734385
>>47734420
Did this story really happen?
>>
>>47733236
Spoken like someone who has never played or had a good spellcaster.

>>47733775
Knock obviates Thieves' Tools (if you're worried about sound, cast Silence first). Invisibility either obviates or greatly improves stealth, depending on how it gets ruled. Sneaking doesn't matter overmuch when you can Dimension Door places. Suggestion obviates the talky skills. Arcane Eye obviates a scout. Speak with Dead kills murder mysteries.

Caster/Martial disparity has been a thing for a really long time, but there's so much mindcaulk denying or stealth-modifying it that it's essentially a moot point. When the written rules are rolled out legalistically, casters kick ass, but the actual game almost never works like that unless the caster player bullies the rest of the table into it.
>>
Bladelocks should be able to call their weapon as a bonus action instead of a full action.
>>
>>47734335
>Literally_The_Worst_Story_Ever.PSD
>>
>>47734335
Chances of this happening, just by the rolls mentioned, are 1/86400. So yeah, >>47734385
>>47734420
>>47734500
It's fake as shit
>>
>>47734473
No.

Nothing that anyone greentexts on /tg/ happens. People just make shit shit up in hopes that someone will screenshot it so they can pat themselves on the back when people like you repost them.
>>
>>47734519
Including the bear with amazing charisma that became a noble?
>>
>>47734335
Wow, that's the single worst story I've ever read.
>>
>>47734535
...yes. Why would you ever think that was a real thing?
>>
>>47734550
Because 3.5 is fuckin' weird.
>>
Fun idea for a warlock?/fighter1 multiclass
>get warcaster, xbow mastery, polearm master tunnelfighter, repelling blast,
Every turn use your bonus action for infinite knockbacks.
>>
What is everyone's opinion on the 5e published adventures? I've heard that everything besides Tyranny of Dragons is good, but are there ways to make it good?
>>
>>47733111
>What is social interaction?

3.PFags please leave
>>
>>47734489
>Knock obviates Thieves' Tools (if you're worried about sound, cast Silence first)
>Two 2nd level slots for something the rogue could've done without wasting any resources
>Just to be a jerk, really
>>
>>47733837
Try graduating high school.
>>
>>47734648
Yes. As I've said many times in this general Tyranny is not as bad as people would have you believe. I'm running it currently, and our group is having fun. If anything, I am more bored than they are with the caravan chapter, because I want them to get to the juicy stuff ahead and to 5th level already.
>>
>>47734493
Or just don't dismiss it
>>
>>47732821
Fun builds tiem:

Rogue 2/Dragon Sorcerrer1/Rogue2 (Swashbuckler and spend ASI on spell sniper)/Fighter for the rest of the way for extra HP, ASI , Feats, extra attacks and fighting style + going battlemaster for dem nifty tricks

Grab a whip and booming blade all day while using SA with it and staying untouchable. Bonus points for firebolt having hueg range.

Monk 7 / Rogue 2/ Battlemaster 11
AC and Dex spears, free dash and expertise, 4 Attacks with MA or 3 double range attacks with spears per turn + lunge shenanigans.
>>
>>47734335
100000% never happened. What an awful story.
>>
>>47734461
>depends on whether spears can be used as ammunition

Are you legitimately retarded or just pretending to be?
>>
>>47734817
You can tell cause what fucking D&D group uses exploding dice?
>>
Are there any printer friendly versions of Planeshift Zendikar or the Elemental Evil Player's Guide?
>>
>>47734687
WotC designed 5e around the idea that parties would have 6-8 encounters and 2 short rests per day, but this doesn't actually usually happen. If it did, casters wouldn't overshadow martials so much, and some of the classes people like to complain about being too weak would actually hold up.
>>
>>47734845
completely unfamiliar with the rules, with neither the money nor harddrive space to get my hands on the books
mostly going by what i can pick up from wiki entries and threads
figured if it wasn't, it could be houseruled
>>
>>47734489
>Knock & Silence

You're burning 2 spellslots to open one door, and you can do that twice per day at most without burning higher level slots. God forbid there's multiple locks on the door, or some sort of trap present. Proficiency in Thieves tools is a much more reasonable option.

>Invisibility

Only gives advantage on stealth checks, so Mr. Fumbles the wizard still isn't going to be doing great at them. Anything else is houserules.

>Dimension Door

Can bring maybe one person with you, assuming you have an entire map of the place and nobody happens to be standing where you warp to. And you're still using it twice if you want to get out.

>Suggestion

Not even remotely perfect, and liable to get you into trouble if you try and manipulate the wrong person. It's also concentration, so hopefully you don't need to talk to more than one person in a day.

>Arcane Eye

A scout would be well served to be able to open doors and hear things.

>Speak with Dead kills murder mysteries.

Bullshit. Just make it so the victim was attacked for behind, or otherwise doesn't know who killed them.

Casters are much more limited in spell slots now, to the degree where a lot of these are downright wasteful options. If the DM is willing to give you a lot of leeway? Maybe, but I'd much rather have a Rogue than a Wizard blowing all his slots pretending to be one.
>>
>>47734902
If you don't have enough fucking HARDWARE SPACE for a PDF, maybe you should get a job and buy a better computer instead of dreaming up shit that would have been retarded even in a completely broken system like 3.5
>>
>>47733111
I have to ask, have you actually played this edition or do you just come into threads hoping to collect a bucket full of (you)s.

Casters can't sneak worth a damn, even if they are invisible they have to roll stealth or be detected easily. Dudes will know which square the wizard is in and only get disadvantage on the attack roll, which will likely mean fucking nothing with how low wizard AC is and the fact that the attacked may have advantage for some reason.

Charm spells have been similarly neutered, merely granting advantage to charisma checks (which means it could be cancelled out by having disadvantage on the check, or made irrelevant by the party face gaining advantage on a charisma check through good roleplaying).

And finally, why the fuck do people even say shit like this when there are literally no classes in 5e that can't cast spells? Seriously, actually read the players handbook. Every class has an archetype that can cast spells, if you don't want the extra versatility and want bigger combat numbers you do have to pay the toll nigga.

TL;DR You are retarded and non-caster classes don't even fucking exist you mong.
>>
>>47734925
*HARD DRIVE

your idiocy is rubbing off
>>
>>47734925
>>47734952
wow dude
calm down
it was just an idea
a simple "that wouldn't work, here's why" would've been fine
>>
>>47734910
>Only gives advantage on stealth checks, so Mr. Fumbles the wizard still isn't going to be doing great at them. Anything else is houserules.
It doesn't even do that.

You automatically succeed on sight-based skill checks. Stealth to not make sound is made as normal.
>>
>>47734902
>2016
>running out of hard drive space
How? The PHB is less than 100 MB.
>>
>>47734784
Rogue Assassin 3/Warlock 2/Fighter 2/Sorcerer 14

Surprise round to make all 4 beams from Eldritch Blast crit. Plus Hex. Then Action Surge to do it again. Then Quickened Spell to do it again. 24d10+24d6+60 (276 average) on your first surprise round, then 8d10+8d6+40 (92 average) every round after. Next fight if you don't have Action Surge you still do 16d10+16d6+40 (184 average) on your surprise round. Plus you get Heavy Armor, pretty decent spell progression and it all keys off of only ONE stat. Besides the Action Surge it's pretty light on resources. Spell points for the Quickened Spell is your only real worry.
>>
>>47734952
Not even him, but wow, what a fucking idiot.
>>
>>47734894
I used to think the 30 minute workday was a myth but after playing some pathfinder with magic casters the schedule is fucking set by the most magic splurging caster.

I hate to say it but I can honestly say I understand why 4th edition had encounter resting special abilities. When the alternative is Drop everything cause you might die and then plink with ranged weapons that don't do shit with the character it sounds pretty good to just give the character to do something than shitty basic attacks that don't work with the charter.
>>
>>47735006
because this thing has a ludicrously tiny hard drive
i have skype, chrome, and a 20 or so pics saved and it's already half full
>>
Made the background for a campaign I will be running soon. Just wished to know what you guys think, and to see if you people know what I'm stealing it from.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_jMJck2IJePlG0mXzwESo2dso8eM5DcLWV_wGYDrlb4/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>47734894
I know that, it just hasn't been much a problem for me because I like running and playing published adventures and they actually take that balance into consideration. Casters have to be careful with their slots if they're in a dangerous area. Funny how it's the "i prefer combat to be sparse and unusual" crowd that imbalances the game. People who like doing no more than one combat per day should use the "Gritty Realism" variant rules, that would rebalance things instantly.

>>47734910
>Only gives advantage on stealth checks
Actually that is also a houserule. All invisibility does is it lets you try to hide anywhere and anytime you want.
>>
>>47735064
Is "this thing" a phone or a chromebook?
>>
>>47733813
>The Rogue is useful not because there are things magic can't do or that are expensive/impractical to do with magic, but because the Wizard can't be bothered.

That's not true at all. The wizard can't do much copying of other classes' niches.
>>
>>47735032
what all MC stats does that require?
>>
>>47735140
original model nextbook
you know, the ones that are also a tablet?
i know it sucks, but it was a gift
>>
>>47735188
13 Dex and 13 Cha. You'll wanna max Dex for higher Stealth for higher chance of surprise rounds anyway.
>>
>>47735188
Only Dexterity and Charisma.
>>
>>47735214
>>47735219
Cool.
>>
>>47734489
>Knock obviates Thieves' Tools (if you're worried about sound, cast Silence first)

Goddamn you are a stupid nigger. First of all, Knock and Silence aren't even on the wizard spell list together. Second of all you can't do both even if you did know them both because knock has a verbal component.

>Suggestion obviates the talky skills.
Unless the enemy is immune/resistant to charm effects, like a fair number of monsters and races (seriously, fucking elves even). Or they don't have any of that and just make the save. In which case they know you tried to cast a spell on them, good luck with that nigger.

Literally only if the murderer engaged in open combat with someone, which isn't exactly stealthy in the first place. If someone was poisoned, got a knife to the back, murdered in their sleep, etc. It will literally do nothing.

Dimension door, invisibility, and arcane eye can all aid stealth but don't obviate them. You need to roll a stealth check while invisible or everyone knows what square you are in, so if you aren't good at it (like how a rogue would be) it doesn't give you a whole lot in this edition. Dimension door and arcane eye are great over small distances, but if you are sneaking through 10 miles of forest to locate a bandit encampment without being spotted they don't do nearly as much good as ranks in stealth and perception.
>>
>>47734489
you need to be an Enchanter to use charm spells without burning bridges
>>
I'm eagerly waiting for my players to use Leomund's Tiny Hut to rest in a dangerous place... in which there's a caster NPC with Dispel Magic. Am I evil?
>>
>>47735296

That's stupid. The function of Leomund's Tiny Hut is to "rest in a dangerous place". You're punishing the players for making correct and prescient use of the mechanics.

It'd be dick waving if you pulled that shit.
>>
>>47735296
just tell the players you'll tell them when they can take a long rest
>>
>>47735296
If you are just waiting for a "gotcha" moment and there is no reason for there to be an enemy wizard in the Cave of Trolls or whatever, yeah, you are a bad DM.

If they do it in an evil wizards tower or some shit then you are doing this all right, and it will spice things up for sure.
>>
>>47735296
>tfw you give the BBEG 5 Lieutenants who are all Wizards specialized in only casting Dispel Magic, Counterspell and escape spells that he always sends at least one off to wherever the party happens to be

Caster supremacy is over, the age of martials has begun.
>>
>>47735296
There better be a fucking good reason the NPC is out there and wants to end that spell. Otherwise you're just an asshat
>>
>>47735332
>>47735374
>>47735380
I'm running a module. Said NPC is part of the module and is in said location. They'll realize (if they stop to think about it) that the caster affiliated with the bad guys that they met previously should be in that place, they may even encounter him there before trying to long rest. And obviously if they hide themselves very well they won't be found.

Not looking for a "gotcha" moment, more like upping the stakes and creating tension. Before dispelling, they would see the enemies getting ready and would have a chance to do whatever they wanted to.
>>
>>47735483
And also looking forward to see their faces when they realize what's about to happen.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fbEYhsGiY

How's this for statting a boomerang-
Martial Weapon- 1d4 bludgeoning- Thrown, Special (Rolling 19 or 20 results in the weapon returning to you after impact)
>>
>>47735032
Hex takes your bonus action.
>>
>>47734461
Sorry you got a dick replying to you. Pic is the 5e weapons table. Anything that is projected during an attack with a ranged weapon is considered ammunition (darts, arrows, bolts, blow-gun darts, ...).
>>
>>47735715
>Special (Rolling 19 or 20 results in the weapon returning to you after impact)
Useless, make it 10+ or whenever it successfully hits, otherwise you would need a lot of them to be even remotely useful.
>>
>>47735722
You cast it before combat, duh.
>>
>>47734610
>Tunnel-fighter + Polearm Master + Warcaster
Nice.
>>
>>47735781
Well boomerangs don't always come back, it's more of a neat trick that skilled hunters can do with them, but the combat applications are obvious. What about 15+?
>>
>>47735773
well that's a shame
i guess i'll just have to hope for a gm that'll allow it
spears are really underused as ranged weapons
>>
File: 5e storm boomerang.png (88 KB, 382x293) Image search: [Google]
5e storm boomerang.png
88 KB, 382x293
>>47735715
Boomerangs were statted as a magical weapon in PotA.

Ranged weapon, 1d4 bludgeoning, thrown 60/120, on a miss it returns back to you, if you're proficient with javelins you're proficient with boomerangs.
>>
>>47735773
oh, and thanks
>>
>>47735932
Oh cool, which thing is PotA?
>>
>>47735961
Princes of the Apocalypse.
>>
>>47735824
And still get a surprise round? YMMV, but all the game's I've been in Hex has alerted the target.
>>
So, I don't know if this question goes here or in a worldbuilding thread, but can anyone make suggestions for races in my campaign setting? I'm doing a 5e based "post apocalyptic fantasy" world, sort of Eberron (Mournland) meets Fallout, where a great war between ruling magocracies blew everything to shit and created a not!radioactive wasteland. Since these sort of pulpy settings tend to be big on Lots and Lots of Races, to represent the assorted mutations, I'm not too worried about options at this point.

If it helps, these're what I've got so far:
* Humans, Dwarves, Elves: The three magocracies who went to war and blew the world to shit. Humans survived, undecided on elves & dwarves.

* Orcs: Descendants of elves captured by dwarves and alchemically mutated into an expendable super-soldier race, only to turn on their masters. Non-evil; Wicked Fantasy as a cultural base.

* Kobolds: The poisoning of the world curses dragon eggs, so they only produce kobolds instead. Racially fixated on finding a way to transcend their state and become real dragons again.

* Dragonborn: Very tiny minority of kobold births produce these instead. Respected and revered as a result.

* Warforged: Sapient golems created by humans in a desperate attempt to bulk out their forces before the big death. Now desperately searching for a purpose in life and for more creation-forges to sustain their race.

I've considered Gnomes as mutated surviving dwarves/elves/a hybrid between the two, and a Ratfolk raced based on Final Fantasy's Burmecians, but these are it so far.
>>
>>47736023
Worse comes to worse, you can just use Subtle Spell since you're a Sorcerer.
>>
>>47735773
>>47735918
I was under the impression most ranger spells permitted the use of thrown weapons.
>>
File: dndclassbalance3.png (274 KB, 2994x1477) Image search: [Google]
dndclassbalance3.png
274 KB, 2994x1477
>>
>>47736120
The question was referring to what would count as ammunition for ranger spells that call for ammunition.

Call for weapon attack:
Ensnaring Strike, Hunter's Mark, Conjure Barrage,

Call for ranged weapon attack, affecting the ammunition:
>Hail of Thorns
>Lightning Arrow
>Conjure Volley

Call for ammunition, specifying arrows and bolts:
>Cordon of Arrows
>Flame Arrows

Refers to ammunition, calls for a quiver:
>Swift Quiver
>>
What are the views on polygamy in FR?
Or having non-human spouses?
That's generally the direction I'd like to take for a character, to actually build up a harem.
>>
>>47736266
Thrown weapon attacks are ranged attacks, conjure volley would most certainly work with daggers, for instance.
>>
>>47736236
Is this supposed to be bait? Because there's absolutely nothing wrong there.
I'm the only caster in my group and I far out damage all the other characters and have way more rolls out of combat than them
>>
>>47736294
I specified "ranged weapon attack" for a reason, although I was mistaken: conjure volley calls for EITHER a ranged weapon attack or a thrown weapon.
>>
>>47736317
it is b8, and it is 100% correct. Butthurt martial players don't like admitting that their classes are unfavorably imbalanced, for whatever reason.
>>
>>47732821
Hey, /5eg/, I could have sworn that the /tg/ custom character sheets had one for each class, including Rogue. But the pastebin only includes Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, and Paladin.

What gives? Is there a Rogue sheet somewhere?
>>
>>47736351
The ranger in my group died twice tonight. I'm trying to convince to either roll a tanky character or to be a caster. I'm worried he's gonna go martial striker again
>>
>>47736082
Surface elves are largely reduced to a state of barbarism. Drow elves survived unharmed and are now, ironically, the last vestige of any true Elven culture.
>>
>>47736282
>What are the views on polygamy in FR?

I think monogamy is the norm, but I don't recall it being directly mentioned or enforced anywhere.

>Or having non-human spouses?

Depends on where you are in the Realms. In most of the Sword Coast it's nothing that unusual, but how non-human are we talking here? Still humanoid, or something more...exotic?
>>
>>47734335
I don't understand what the point of all that was?
>>
>>47736317
What's your party composition?
>>
>>47734335
Wait, at some point did the narrator figure out the bard player was going to break out the weighted dice? Cause when he says "everything clicks in my mind", I'm a bit confused as to what else he could possibly mean.

Is it a futurama reference?
>>
>>47736493
I'm a warlock, and the other guys are fighter, rogue, and a dead ranger
Fighter is dumb as shit, but does a good job as the only tank. Other 2 guys built themselves for damage, but come nowhere near what I'm pumping out
>>
File: 1465278007292.png (529 KB, 1015x1527) Image search: [Google]
1465278007292.png
529 KB, 1015x1527
Am I a bad DM if I intentionally set off to kill the "lol im insane and edgy xD" character after 1 session? The other players don't seem too happy with this character either.
>>
How do I make the most ludicrously broken character possible? I'm going in to a campaign with a good friend and a few douchenozzles and I really really want to fuck up whatever plans might be had for some lulz. How would i create the most ridiculously powerful character? This isn't an exercise of "Strong but fair" this is purely a character who can kill anything.
>>
>>47736577
Nah, everyone expects them to die at some point, it's just a matter of spectacularly they die
>>
>>47736582
In short: you can't.

In long: fuck off.
>>
>>47736582
You can't, not really
You can be ridiculously good at one thing, but only the one thing, and if you do it you'll end up weak in all other areas
>>
>>47736599
alright, I've make it glorious as possible for all DMs everywhere who have to deal with edgelords in their campaigns
>>
>>47736626
I didn't think so. Damn, that means I'm going to have to figure out some other way to fuck up this campaign. Do you have any super cheesy character ideas?
>>
>>47736574
Well I figure that's probably your DM's fault, but assuming he hasn't thrown anything magic immune at you guys because of a reason he has (?) unless you're literally using eldritch blast and hex on every single enemy that's just really hard to believe

Either way, I'm surprised your character hasn't been killed

All in all, I blame your DM for you feeling like that, honestly
>>
>>47736649
Well the first question would be why do you want to ruin these people's game?
>>
File: Drawfriend Warlock.png (247 KB, 710x576) Image search: [Google]
Drawfriend Warlock.png
247 KB, 710x576
How would you stat/build Corvo from Dishonored? I want to roll up a sort of magic rogue investigator for an upcoming game, but am unsure if just going straight for Arcane Trickster is the best route or not. How would you multiclass it with say a pact of the blade Warlock?
>>
>>47736665
Not so much ruin the game as force it off the terribly done railroading. The GM is a genuinely creative guy, but he tends to herd people down his path like a novel writer rather than run an actual do whatever game. A bunch of other people have been grumbling about finding a new group, but that would totally ruin this GM's reputation. I'd like to fuck up his railroady style of game running to force him to let us do whatever.
>>
name for an abandoned miner town?
>>
File: 1465670038309.gif (81 KB, 182x249) Image search: [Google]
1465670038309.gif
81 KB, 182x249
>>47736236
>>47736351
>let's ignore that almost every single class has casting or a casting archetype
gets me every time senpai
>>
File: 1462941839899.jpg (61 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1462941839899.jpg
61 KB, 500x364
>>47736649
Idea:
Don't fuck up the campaign. Let them live their lives and don't waste your time and theirs on some petty 'revenge' scheme. If they've done some wrong to you, explain it if it ever becomes relevant and find some way to move on, whether you make amends or not. Don't be a shitter and ruin their fun.
>>
>>47736680
Depending on build, Corvo uses magic a lot more than 5e allows. What kind of build of Corvo were you thinking of?
>>
>>47736574
Not very impressive. Rogues and rangers are weak in combat like bards, theoretically to compensate for their out of combat strength. Which makes me wonder how you're making more rolls than them. The rogue should be dominating dungeon crawls and the ranger should basically be in charge of exploration. Are you guys doing a lot of social encounters? That's basically the only thing that warlocks are good for outside of combat.
>>
>>47735250
Knock and silence are on the wizard spell list. I didn't read past that
>>
>>47736649
As soon as the session starts, scream at the top of your lungs, drop trou, and take a big steamy shit on the host's couch. Then run off into the night hooting like a gorilla.
>>
>>47736690
Have you tried talking to him?
>>
>>47736577
I got a fuckboy Bard who plays everything like the most horribly stereotypical Bard ever. I really wanna kill him so hard but I honestly think he'd just remake the character, he seems like one of those guys.
>>
>>47736714
Being able to effectively use a hand crossbow and blade while being stealthy and acrobatic. I realize the sort of magic in the game would be broken to have in the same manner, but having magic that is more used to augment the rogue abilities and sense stuff. Is it ideal to just go full rogue instead? Warlock feels like it would be more getting in the way of all that.
>>
>>47736734
Silence isn't a wizard spell. Go check the PHB.

It legitimately surprised me when I first found out.
>>
>>47736828
Never has been. Bard and cleric.

Aftermath of people on /tg/ saying every wizard has every spell ever.
>>
>>47736811
Go Assasin or Swashbuckler and then MC into Tomelock for Devils sight, rituals etc.
Oh and get a rat familliar.
>>
>>47736828
Fair enough, but I know knock is on the wizard list
>>
>>47736702
Greystone, Delvertown
>>
>>47736933
I guess. Swashbuckler just feels so cheese. Also, not really the Corvo type I think. Assuming I just go more for the Arcane Trickster, what are the go-to spells?
>>
File: 22.png (855 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
22.png
855 KB, 800x600
Fuck arguing about caster supremacy for the 5000th time, I need some ideas for a cool enchantment for a Dwarven Warhammer!
>>
>>47737037
That dude looks a disturbing amount like Tim Allen.
>>
>>47736956
Reread the original post. The point is that Silence and Knock aren't both on the wizard spell list (that is, only Knock is actually on the wizard list), so a wizard wouldn't be able to combine them to nullify Knock's knock as had been suggested earlier.

A bard, however, DOES have both, but you still have the problem if Knock being unusable inside a Silence bubble.
>>
>>47737051
Yeah but what if you cast 4 silence bubbles surrounding you when you cast Knock? Spell slots don't matter at all right?

xD
>>
>>47737037
Once per day, you can strike a stone object and make it change shape as if you had cast the Stone Shape spell on it.
>>
>>47732821
>Feats
No. We finally killed the beast and you want to bring them back?
>>
File: classic blunder.jpg (17 KB, 300x233) Image search: [Google]
classic blunder.jpg
17 KB, 300x233
>>47737037
It turns things it hits to stone. Or ore.
It is light when you swing it but becomes fucking heavy on impact.
It banishes baddies straight to Baator.
>>
>>47736236
"Casters can break the rules because they have magic spells!"

Stop making the average adventuring day five minutes long.
>>
Mistdell or fogdell? which is a better name for a city
>>
>>47737266
Depends, is it named after mist or fog?
>>
>>47737165

Quit worrying about it. 3.x broke people's brains and they can't conceive of having to abandon the type of campaigns that were required under that godawful ruleset.

The simple fact of the matter is while the caster can pull out some cool tricks they are a very finite resource and expending spell slots to do stuff that someone else can do with skills (like exploring the dungeon or chatting up a barmaid) is a stupid use of resources.

But some people have their heads fixated on the 3.x caster ability to nova every encounter, bypass any unwanted encounter and dictate the length of the adventuring day even though 5e is clearly written so that the Nova Batman wizard is no longer possible.
>>
>>47736811
Hunter Ranger, background for thieves tools, get Darkvision, Conjure Animals (rats/giant rats), Pass without Trace etc
>>
>>47737392
it haves both cases
>>
File: multiclassing sucks.png (72 KB, 311x370) Image search: [Google]
multiclassing sucks.png
72 KB, 311x370
>>47732821
I've been thinking about making a ranged fighter/rogue for a while now.

Fighter 1/Rogue 19 to be specific. Sure you give up the capstone, but you get an innate +2 to hit from the Archery fighting style -- and all rogues care about is to-hit for that sweet sweet sneak attack damage. As a side benefit you have your pick of any ranged weapon you can get your hands on (including the blowgun -- oddly not a rogue weapon).

Monk 1/Rogue 19 is also interesting. Monk unarmed attacks meet the criteria for being called "finesse weapons" without having that tag. It's just a tiny stretch of the imagination to have a rogue that can sneak attack with his bare hands -- this damage is bludgeoning type as well, which makes certain encounters less challenging.
>>
>>47737668
There really is no reason for all Rogues to not start Fighter, honestly.
>>
I've got a pc who's new to the game and literally attacks every npc regardless of the consequences. I threw him in prison for an entire chapter of the adventure and he just kept attacking npcs. I don't wanna just kill him off because it was his first session but no one wants to deal with him. What do?
>>
>>47737693
Explain to him that D&D is a cooperative game where adventurers work together toward a common goal, not a tabletop version of Hatred.
>>
>>47737700
Everyone in the party has done that multiple times.
>>
>>47737704
Give him one more game and explain that to him at the start but if he keeps doing that, kick him.
>>
>>47737693
Have a talk wit him to find out what's going on, and try to figure out why he's doing that. So far, it looks like negative reinforcement hasn't been as effective as you hoped. Most likely, he thinks he's just doing good roleplay, so you should probably let him know that GOOD roleplay is keeping true to your character in a way that doesn't get in the way of the rest of the party's fun.
>>
>>47737680
Might be a little better to go Rogue 1 / Fighter 1 / Rogue 18 due to fighters having nothing for skills.

On the other hand going Fighter 1 / Rogue 19 means you can try something similar to 4e's brutal rogue and just ignore Dexterity altogether. Just picturing a rogue in full plate with a shield and a rapier makes me laugh.
>>
If you were a DM, would you make tieflings immune to a warlock's Hurl Through Hell attack (as they are half-fiends)?
>>
>>47737896
They don't have the outsider template so... no.
>>
>>47735932
Does it just lay on the ground if it hits?
>>
What is a good non combat encounter for an old forest with very old and dying trees?
>>
>>47737926
With a dying dryad?
>>
>>47736474
So they could reinact this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RUg-NkjY4
>>
>>47736558
See >>47737939
>>
>>47737896
Tieflings aren't half-fiends and never were. Read the lore before claiming something. Even if they were: no. Nothing is immune to Hurl Through Hell.
>>
>>47737926
A herd of deer.
>>
>>47737960

PHB literally says tieflings are infused with the essence of Asmodeus, overlord of the nine hells

Not making them immune to hurl through hell is just bad GMing :)
>>
File: hurlthroughhell.png (70 KB, 414x82) Image search: [Google]
hurlthroughhell.png
70 KB, 414x82
>>47737960
>Nothing is immune to Hurl Through Hell.
Do you even PH?
>>
>>47737037
Once per round you have advantage when attacking if the target is made of or wearing metal or stone.
>>
>>47738010
Whoops I am an idiot who missed the bit out the fiends.

Still, tieflings are not fiends (or half-fiends, for that matter) and are not immune.

>>47738005
Tieflings are humans whose granddaddies made a pact with the devil, they're not the offspring of fiends, not even close.
>>
File: spell27.png (34 KB, 466x490) Image search: [Google]
spell27.png
34 KB, 466x490
Heya, folks, couldn't help but notice you guys are still running Spellviewer 2.6.1 on the mega. Not sure if it got missed or something but 2.7 is in fact available.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddd1sxrgyx9nqs0/SpellViewer27.exe

Fresh upload for you all just to be sure.
>>
How big is the Prime Material Plane. I'm thinking of having a big empire use a dickton of mages to ritual cast the biggest detect life spell of all time to find aliens.
>>
>>47738071

The planes are infinite
>>
>>47738075
So it stands to reason there are other planets with life on them. Makes you wonder why no one meets them in places like Planescape. Unless I'm retarded and that does in fact happen
>>
>>47737037
Unliftable by anybody other than owner who must be a dwarf.
>obvious thor rippoff

Advantage to hit on anyone standing on nonmagical unworked earth and stone.
>>
>>47738084
Mostly because of the metaphysical implications. If two planets ever met it would be a literal war of the worlds because their gods would immediately be forced to kill their rivals or lose their powers.
>>
>>47736351
>and it is 100% correct
It's wrong from beginning to end. No star wars game has ever been remotely balanced.
>>
>>47738101
That doesn't really make sense from a Planescape point of view, only from a 3rd edition Forgotten Realms point of view.
>>
>>47738071
Like so many things: it depends on the setting.

"Prime Material Plane" doesn't really exist in 5e. It might be a thing if Planescape or Spelljammer ever surface again, but 5e just refers to the actual, physical worlds that most adventures take place on as material planes. Faerun, Eberron, and Oerth are Material Planes, and whether or not they exist in the same universe or crystal spheres or whatever is up to you as the DM.
>>
>>47738101
Seems like the Prime Material Plane would be lonely with how empty it would be then.
>>
File: dmg-page68.jpg (90 KB, 317x656) Image search: [Google]
dmg-page68.jpg
90 KB, 317x656
>>47738084
>>
>>47738101
>or lose their powers.
The gods gain their powers by their followers. Why lose them?
>>
>>47735250
>Telling the local law enforcement it's okay to kill/arrest someone based solely on the word of corpse with no corroborating evidence.
>not realizing victims of violent crimes will sometimes lie to conceal the identity of the perpetrator.

You're shit at murder mysteries friendo.
>>
Does anybody have the Goodman Games 5e Fantasy PDFs? Glitterdoom and Fey sisters and such.
>>
>>47738140
So if you got a powerful enough detect life spell going you could locate a planet potentially thousands of lightyears away. I don't see a range on the teleport spell in the PHB. You could theoretically teleport there once you know where it is, albeit with a 25% chance of success. Even a slight failure would result in your missing the target by enough to kill you
>>
>>47738116
I've never realised that until now. I always thought that Faerun, Eberron, Oerth and the like were planets in the Material plane.

>>47738119
True dat. An endless plane with only ONE habitable planet???
>>
>>47736082
>So, I don't know if this question goes here or in a worldbuilding thread, but can anyone make suggestions for races in my campaign setting?

If you want to focus on the idea that the apocalypse has drastically altered the world in question, the best way to do that is to focus your racial choices on mutations and offshoots. Your kobold/dragonborn idea is a really good one, and you can expand it to include several clusters of racial options centered around a single species.

For example, humans, halflings, goliaths, and perhaps even changelings might all be offshoots of the original human stock. Goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, and blueskins were once roaming bands of humanoid vermin. The newly awakened psionic powers of the blueskins have suddenly elevated them out of barbarism into a new age. Kobolds and the rare dragonborn are considered civilized, but their eggs can also produce beastial lizardmen or monstrous quadrupedal beasts. Merfolk, sahuagin, and kuo-toa have heavily mutated from a peaceful race of seadwelling humanoids, forced to walk the land more frequently to avoid the tainted ocean.

You could select any given category of species with similar physical traits (kenku/tengu/aarakocra, centaurs and similar tauric creatures, dromites and thri-kreen, etc) and describe them as mutations of a single species.
>>
Does anyone have experience fighting a creature in its lair? How much more difficult is it?
>>
>>47738388
I don't really understand why most players are ok with that. Lure the fucker out of it's lair!
>>
>>47736702
Mt Isa.
>>
>>47738424
Not always an option.
Generally monsters tough enough to have actual lairs (as in ones with lair actions or w/e) are high enough intelligence to not get fucked up by every dumbass adventurer that tries to get them out of their home
>>
>>47738530
True.

The keyword here is "dumbass". The monster has to come out some time. Wait for it.
>>
>>47738557
Not always. Smart people (or things) with a lot of resources (like money or magical knowledge) don't really need to leave their lairs often, and when they do they won't be doing it on foot.
A lich isn't going to just walk out of the door for the adventurers to accost.
>>
>>47738557

>camp outside monsters lair
>it waits until you fall asleep
>suddenly acid breath from the lairs entrance
>>
>>47738581
High level mosters are difficult to handle in or out of their lairs. You do what you can then.

>>47738586
> strategic genius detected
Stalk the creature mang. Find out it's habits, it's time schedule, it's eating patterns. Then hit it when it's most vulnerable. Don't just stand out of it's lair.
>>
sup/tg/,

Read up on Readied Actions and thought the phrasing was a bit weird. You choose an Action to Ready and a Trigger. If the Trigger happens, you get to respond to the Trigger with your Readied Action or move up to your speed as a reaction (like, a choice between the two)? Or do you just get to respond to the Trigger with your Readied Action (which can be a Dash, or mechanically-same-as-a-Dash)?
>>
>>47733837
If you want to be so secretive you can follow in the footsteps of that green text, be a jerk off fighter "that guy" wait until the final boss, then smite the baddies.

>implying people ooc will ask you why don't you use some fighter abilities that are staples of the class.
>>
>>47732821
Mobile with the rogue, able to do damage and walk out, can take the dash action to move 40 feet towards someone, do damage, and move 40 feet back. It's pretty cheese though, cause moving 80 a turn 5 turns in a row sounds like a "wow really" move. Instead just hide behind the fighter.
>>
>>47738643
You decide on your trigger action beforehand.
>>
>>47737037
Allow a shove (10 feet or prone) along with your attack. You can do this a number of times equal to your Str Modifier, you must then finish a long rest.

A dwarf using this Warhammer gets one extra use, cause dwarves.
>>
>>47738643
I think it's like that, it is a dash kind of when you do that, but I'm not sure if you know the action economy, if you don't you use your full action to do the readied action, and then you must use the reaction to activate the readied action. So if your readied action was to move if/when a goblin moved towards you, you can use your reaction to move. If you knew the action economy you can ignore that.

So yes it can technically be a dash, but it costs your reaction rather than just a normal dash action.
>>
>>47738388
I don't have experience but I imagine that they are much much tougher. Legendary actions pretty much let them have constant action surges, and means they can do a ton of damage or effects in only one turn.

I think the idea of fighting a creature in its lair is that it is the last thing you ever want to do with that creature.
>>
>>47738071
It's as big as you want it to be. It can either be one flat world, a solar system, a galaxy, or even a universe, but in a world where traveling to the other planes is easier than traveling a couple miles high and surviving in space, why not use all that power to do something about those planes?
>>
>>47737926
A druid's hideout, illusion covered cave, a hidden passage underground, let them do some checks pass some traps, some nice loot, and a sad story of why the trees are dead and dying and the druid's failure.
>>
>>47737266
Mistdell is slightly easier to say so Mistdell.
>>
>>47737266
Both are terrible, Mistdell is slightly less so.
>>
>>47737266
Delmist. Bonus points if the city has not!spanish culture.
>>
>>47736702
Miniorton
>>
>>47737756
That qorks bettwr with a barbarian's reckless attack to gain advantage and spam sneak attacks. Of course, there is the question abot how you manage to be subtle while yelling like a madman...
> "I, Thurrk, shall pierce you with my mighty STEALTH ATTACK"
> one round later, baddie is bleeding on the ground
>"curse you Thurrk, I... wasn't expecting it...at all..."
>>
>>47737693
If he attacks an NPC then the guards kill him for assault
>>
>>47737926
A single clearing of sprouting saps, gardened by an old woodsman. He tends to his orchard the best he can, giving the waning years of his life to preserving the forest that has served as his home for so long. He offers a hearty meal and a warm place to sleep, provided the players do some chores for him (weeding away parasitic vines, gathering water from a stream, chopping firewood, gathering flowers for his wife's grave).
Have some fun with it.
>>
>>47738930
This, so much this.

>Be Krush, Half-Orc barbarian starting adventure. Is inspired by teammate rogue pulling off sneaky attacks.
>"Krush will be sneaky as well!"
>Fast forward a year, Barb 1/Rogue 5.
>A large half Orc sneaks into the Baron's Palace. Climb in through the window, guard on the other side of the room.
>Sneak up, pull greatsword. Advantage on attack, hit, Assasinate. 10d6 including Greatsword Crit and and Sneak Attack crit, plus 4 Str.

8/10 would play this.
>>
>>47737756
That's actually part of a build I came up with.

Fighter 1/Mystic (Immortal) 1/UA Ranger 1/Rogue (Assassin) 17.

Standard combat tactics are to use Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade (your preference) with the Immortal Mystic Smite and the duelling fighting style to get the stupidest damage code imaginable. Ends up as 2*(2*(4d8+9d6+1d10)+DEX+2), because alpha striking for an average of 224 plus twice your DEX mod before your opponent can react is perfectly fair. You'd need DEX, WIS and INT as your multiclassing stats, but that's perfectly doable, especially as DEX is the only one that needs to be maxxed.
>>
>>47739016
Wait forgot about Savage Attacks, swap greatsword for Maul/Greataxe. 2d12 + d12 for Savage Attacks, then 6d6 Sneak Attack and 4 for Strength.
>>
>>47738930
If you're shouting like a madman, no-one expects you to be sneaky, so it comes as a surprise.
>>
>>47739016
>>47739038

You can't Sneak Attack with a Greatsword...
>>
>>47739114
Yeah just read sneak attack's description, hopefully if I have the chance to play that I can ask the DM if I can sneak attack with that.
>>
My players in CoS left a dead companion at Krezk while they seek entrance to the Abbey to get them Raised.

Dick move or not to have their body stolen by the mongrelfolk and delivered to the Abbot who uses their body to complete the flesh golem bride of strahd?
>>
>>47739135

It may sound a bit silly, but you can simply attack with a Rapier using Strength.
>>
>>47739148
>Not having Strahd find it and create an undead servant
>>
>>47739155
That's a little boring to be honest
>>
>>47738755
You mean triggered action?
Ok, I thought that commas used in that manner denoted a list of options.

>>47738806
Yeah, the action economy wasn't explained as well in this edition. 3.5 (or was it 4th?) was a lot better with defined rules for actions, move actions, non-move move-actions, etc. But I think you have it a bit wrong there. To Ready an action (which can be any action) takes your standard action. I thought that Ready was just a parameter for any action (so you can do your standard, ready a move and ready a bonus in one turn), but it's not. One standard, one move, usually one bonus, 1(?) free action. Readying an action uses up your standard action.

With no Hold action and such a gimped Ready, combat RAW kinda kills it for me.
>>
>>47738108
Especially saying FFG Star Wars is balanced casters versus Martians when the best specializations in the game are hands down the non-combat focused force users. Larger force dice pool = ultimate power and consistent ability in the game.
>>
I just split my group into two, with one group having a bard, cleric, and druid. The other has a barbarian, rogue, wizard.
Given the wizard wants to be more of a necromancer, how do I ensure the second party (who loves combat) isn't gimped due to lack of a healer?
>>
>>47739236
On your turn:
>Move
>Incidental
>Action
>Bonus Action

Not on your turn:
>Reaction

The things a player can do in their turn is incredibly well defined in 5e, and you cannot change your position in the initiative order. It makes using resources appropriately much more important in 5e than 3.pf, and they never tried to make 5e as tactical as 4e.
>>
CoS, Heavy combat campaign, high CR, very RAW.

Any suggestions for 2nd level bard who is deciding on his level up? Both Valor and Lore fit my character. Multiclassing fits also. Probably not as much as a subtle rogue, but confrontational rogue works.
>>
>>47739271
It looks like I misunderstood what action economy meant. I had the idea of the free market: how the actions fit in with each other and interact with each other. But from your post I'm guessing it's more like fixed income static capitalism: yeah.
>>
>>47739281
Combat heavy CoS? Weird.

Lore is better.
>>
>>47739329
DM could have put more encounters in the scenario, I haven't read CoS, but we've nearly always been fresh out of combat or eying up our next foes.
>>
>>47739246
Let them buy potions everywhere or let them find it everywhere

Give them a healer NPC they can hire to follow them around and them
>>
>>47733558
Poison resist is actually pretty rare. It's usually immunity.
>>
>>47739329
got any tips for spells I should look into? Or a multiclass option?
>>
>>47739271
In some edge cases you can use your reaction on your own turn. You run away from an enemy, he gets an opportunity attack and hits, you use reaction to cast Shield. You cast Dissonant Whispers on a creature in front of you, it fails the save and moves away, you get an opportunity attack.

There's some discussions as to whether you can Counterspell another Counsterspell, I would personally rule you can't because you're already busy casting the original spell that triggered the first counter, but some people might allow it.
>>
>>47739418
You don't get an OA if a target is forced to move
>>
>>47739499

Thunderwave is forced movement, Dissonant Whispers is not.
>>
>>47739155
>tfw you didn't want to run CoS until the Strahd-as-a-pretty-boy poster
>tfw it's less Strahd and more pretty boy vampire sows discord in the party by trying to seduce most of the players before they figure out he's the vampire they're after
>>
>>47739499
>"You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction."
Dissonant Whispers makes them use their reaction to move, that's exactly what it's good for.
>>
>>47739545
>>47739528
Oh my mistake
>>
>>47739148
Cliche, but a bit less of a dick move: the body disappears and returns as a vampire spawn under Strahd's control. It intercepts them along the way, but if they kill it and bring it with them, they can raise it properly.

For added fun ( and all the distrust that may come from having to kill your psycho zombie buddy anyway), let the player plan his attack and attack the PCs. Give him some minions Strahd has afforded him for this task and help him set up the attack. Reward him for building a challenging encounter.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.