[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: dungeons-dragons_L27[1].jpg (56 KB, 625x480) Image search: [Google]
dungeons-dragons_L27[1].jpg
56 KB, 625x480
Remember 80s Tiamat?

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Adventure Hook: Your friend is stupid enough to bring a girl who has never played D&D before. How do you manipulate events to make sure she never returns while simultaneously maintaining social standing with your adventuring group?

To Continue Last Adventure: >>47698766
>>
>>47717416
Why?
>>
File: dndclassbalance3.png (274 KB, 2994x1477) Image search: [Google]
dndclassbalance3.png
274 KB, 2994x1477
The difference between the b8 you post OP, and the b8 I post OP, is my b8 preaches the truth while collecting (you)s.
>>
how can i fix the ranger?
>>
>>47717566
Damn, that's really good bait. I'll use that net time when I open a thread.
>>
>>47717579
Give an actual use to having favored enemies. I'd say to give rangers their level 20 capstone at level 1
>>
>>47717416
>Your friend is stupid enough to bring a girl who has never played D&D before. How do you manipulate events to make sure she never returns while simultaneously maintaining social standing with your adventuring group?

She can play Titania.
>>
>>47717416
Make the game as crunchy as possible. Your friends know that having 'one bad session' just happens, but it kills her first impression.
>>
>>47717579
>favored enemy and terrain can be changed by spending a week preparing.
>animal companion has CR limit equal to 1/3rd ranger level
>animal companion now has normal HP for a creature of it's MM entry, or 5*ranger level HP, whichever is higher
>animal companion attacks now count as magical at ranger level 6
>animal companion type restrictions removed at level 6 (you can have an aberration companion if you can tame it)
>>
One of my friends is wanting to play a captain America equivalent so I'm trying to design the shield for him. How does this look:

Add +1 to attack and damage rolls. Deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage on hits with a range of 20/60 feet if thrown. If thrown and you have more than one attack possible, the shield can ricochet towards a new target within 20 feet of the most recent target (must make a separate attack roll for each target). At the end of your turn you can have the shield return to you and catch it as a bonus action.
>>
File: popsicle.png (404 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
popsicle.png
404 KB, 600x600
Yo /tg/, running an episodic planescape campaign where the PCs are agents of a planar police. I'm witting up a quest where the party is sent to bust a drug ring selling hard stuff from other planes in the material plane, what kinda shit should I throw in to make it fun? Pic unrelated.
>>
>>47717680
What about also giving the animal companion it's own turn in combat?
>>
>>47717731
that picture is evil
>>
What are the playtest packets in the link? They make it seem like they're adventures designed for pre-generated characters, or older modules that are salvaged from 4e.
>>
>>47717751
the reason they tried to avoid that in 5e, is the ranger then basically has two characters, one slightly gimped, and one shit
>>
One of my characters was Cursed by Madam Eva. If they beg her to have the curse lifted, what should they have to pay her?

Something spooky like their name, years of their life or future children etc
>>
>>47717904
>the only things i can think to have you pay are from a dm's perspective, not the player trying to barter
uhh... give her the D or something i guess, fuck
>>
>>47717930
What?
>>
>>47717945
castration
>>
>>47717945
the only ideas i had were to the question
>One of my players characters was Cursed by Madam Eva. If they beg her to have the curse lifted, what should i make the player pay her?
not what you should try to offer up, so i gave a shitty answer
>>
File: moe desu.jpg (104 KB, 775x719) Image search: [Google]
moe desu.jpg
104 KB, 775x719
>undead created by a necromancer can act on their own turns and be created/maintained at mass
>these undead do not take up concentration
>any caster can cast a summoning spell with 1 action and get adds that act on their own turn
>these things are single spells that take little investment to obtain

>the beastmaster only gets one active pet
>the beastmaster's entire archetype is dedicated to this shitty pet
>the pet cannot act on its own turn and instead robs the ranger of his actions
Working as intended! Can't let that rascally ranger have two characters or the fragile action economy will shatter like glass.
>>
>>47717579
Hunter:
Scale on Colossus Slayer (1d10 at 11, 1d12 at 17)
Change Giant Killer to "within reach"

BM:
Beast HP is max+4×level
Beast cr scales like basic druid wildshape

Both:
Vanish at level 1
Skirmisher's Stealth at level 14
Hide in plain sight is only lost after taking damage
Capstone does wis damage to all, double to preferred enemies
>>
File: dungeon-master.jpg (66 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
dungeon-master.jpg
66 KB, 500x375
>>47717416
Was the Dungeon Master in the show a good DM?
>>
File: dnd cartoon.jpg (60 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
dnd cartoon.jpg
60 KB, 640x426
>>47717999
>>
>>47717999
hell no.

level 1 babbies against Tiamat and a wizard that kick her ass?
>>
>>47718017

So this guy was literally doing his first DM run and decided to bring real-life people into his module?
>>
>>47717416
>Multi-head creatures.

You always have the many stay head which is looking ferocious, but due to creative lack (or perhaps too much) you always end up with a head that is looking derpy.

Look at that White-Dragon head. The other four are hissing and roaring and breathing fire. White there looks like she's worried she left the dragon-grade-stove on at home.
>>
>>47717992
This shit is why necromancers/minionmancers are nothing but cancer or villain material.
Fuck your 'muh industrialization' bullshit.
>>
Looking for more Feedback.

Player in my game used Animate dead, wants to give the resurrected zombie a great axe and spoke about possibly throwing a suit of armor on it too. I'm unsure on allowing this since I think Animate Dead is balanced off their base stat-lines but at the same time, I don't want to just say "No mate."

Thoughts? I mean I'm slightly partial to allow it since worst case scenario he decides to waste his coin and treasure rewards buying spare suits of fullplate for his undead cronies.
>>
>>47717605
You don't see many people reference that one. I guess it's hard to be as quotable as "I'm attacking the darkness."
>>
>>47718136
Can you explain this to me?
>>
>>47718114
That should be fine, seeing as zombies don't have any armor proficiency and would have disadvantage on basically everything it tries to do while it wears armor, including the saving throw it takes to stay alive.
>>
>>47718114
There's no real reason to say no here. Balance isn't an issue. You're the DM. You fix game balance at a whim. You can fudge rolls, scale combat encounters up, etc.

It's not like he's doing something fundamentally imbalanced, like playing a caster in a martial game.
>>
>>47718114
A zombie is going to lack proficiency with any of that stuff so RAW is disadvantage on any ability check involving str or dex for the armor. I'd also be inclined to give them disadvantage on attack rolls as a zombie isn't going to understand how to use a sword at fucking all (in fact I'd probably make them try to eat the sword at first). And don't forget about strength requirements for armor - if it's a bog standard 13 STR zombie then slapping plate on it is going to half its already slow movement.
Only thing he might be good at after that point is team mascot.
>>
>Cards say Strahd is in the Study, along with the symbol of ravenkind

players are FUCKED
>>
>>47718245
Wearing armor you aren't proficient with gives you disadvantage on attack rolls anyway.
>>
>>47717869
That's better than one massive shit character made from two smaller shit characters
>>
>>47718114
As GM, I'd let them give weapons or/and a shield fine, but not armor.

I feel 8AC is meant to be a balancing factor for zombies and spending a meager 50gp gives them Ringmail, a shield and a martial weapon. Having heavy armor stops their Dex 6 from affecting AC, so they have their armor class doubled up to 16, 18 if you splurge the extra 50gp for chainmail.

Accounting for 18AC, the Save-or-Survive ability and the decent bulk of hit points even 1 zombie serves as a robust tank able to handle several attacks while you hide behind dozens if not more of them. Letting them gear up with weapons really just makes them a little bit higher damage output and a bit more flavor for them at the expense of some coin. Personally I'd suggest halberds or pikes since giving them reach means they won't clog up combat and get in the way of other melee PC's.
>>
>>47718114
I'd allow it. You end up with a lumbering idiot with shit saves, low HP, and a terrible to-hit bonus at the cost of money (for equipment) and a 3rd-level spell slot every day.
>>
>>47718233
The imbalance is making him significantly more potent than other PCs. You'll have to balance encounters to challenge him while other PCs minimally participate
>>
I need a reason to host a nationwide tournament for which the PCs prepare for.
Which is the least shitty:
>Princess needs a suitor
>Strongest under the heavens type shenanigans
>Yearly festival
>Used as secret bait for some unholy ritual
>>
>>47718488
Make it Cannonball Run - Faerun Edition.
Just hope they don't watch old classics on Turner Movies.

Out of your list, though, the suitor is less shit because then you can have drunkards from local villages interrupt fights between the PCs and real knights, so then you get this whole village-brawl schtick going on.
>>
Someone explain dash as a bonus action to me.

I assumed I could move, then action, then dash so my move speed was essentially 3 times normal if I used it that way.
>>
>>47718488
Princess needs a suitor, you're competing for her hand in marriage, or something to the note.

Turns out it's entirely symbolic, the ruler doesn't even have a daughter and the "Princesses Hand" is just a symbolic trophy/title awarded to the champion of each yearly event as is tradition. Everyone but the PC's obviously know this and think they are stupid for not realizing.
>>
>>47718541
That is correctly.

When you Dash, you gain movement equal to your speed. When you can Dash as a bonus action, you can also Dash as your normal action, so you end up with movement to 3 times your speed for that turn.
>>
reroll one stat in character creation yes or no?
>>
>>47718573
I worded it wrong, but that did clarify.

My thinking was:

Move at normal speed
Take action (attack for instance)
Dash at double movement speed (treated like an entirely separate move action)
>>
>>47718598
point buy or die.
>>
In the next campaign I play with some friends I'm wanting to try playing a gnome that eventually builds a giant metal suit that he can climb inside and pilot to fight baddies (basically a gundam). Any ideas on how I can make this not broken?
>>
>>47718598
LITERALLY point buy, you can't fuck up with it.
>>
>>47718623
at the appropriate level, for all intents and purposes you transform into a golem.
>>
>>47718624
>LITERALLY point buy, you can't fuck up with it.
>13 13 13 12 12 12
>>
>>47718600
Move is not an action, in 5e you have "speed" which is basically your movement budget

You can dash as a bonus action at the beginning of your turn, that gives you 60ft of speed you can divvy up however you want

Or dash at the end, it makes no difference when you actually do it, since all the action does is doible your speed for the round
>>
>>47718600
There are no move actions, you just have a pool of movement and can choose to use up any amount at any time, multiple times a turn
>>
>>47718652
Like I say when building gates to prevent people from falling into the meat grinders, this is supposed to be foolproof, not idiotproof.
>>
>>47718652
Those are actually not terrible bard stats
>>
>>47718488
The manga Gamaran is a great example of what you could do the plot boils down to the Daimyo looking for his successor. Calling upon his 31 sons, he tells them to search for whomever they believe to be the strongest martial arts style in the land. Once these 31 styles have been chosen, a great competition will be held. Pitting themselves against each other, these fighting styles will battle until one emerges victorious. The winner shall be known as the 'strongest fighters in the land', and the son who sponsored them shall become the Daimyo's successor.

Basically do that groups from all over compete to see which son is named heir
>>
>>47718631
What level would you say I'd have to be at? I hadn't thought about ripping off a golem's stats but now I'm thinking about scaling down the iron golem's stats for the first model and then bumping them up as I built better models.
>>
>>47718623
Gnome Wizard, working on a crude metal walker, doesn't do much and far too clunky to use in combat until at least level 7 where he can activate it's reliable combat modules and use it to engage in combat at the expense of his magical energy.

Aka, use Polymorph spell to turn himself into a Giant Ape, fluff it as him "Activating" his Mecha-suit devoting his attention to piloting it and starting to pummel.

Any effects that end the polymorph, such as dispelling it, damaging it too much or breaking concentration are easily fluffed as "Oh, you stopped the magic fueling the mecha and it broke down again.". The mecha can be freely piloted at a steady trudging pace as normal out of combat, as it has little use nor utility besides looks and flavor. Unless you find some more spells to re-fluff as using your mech.
>>
>>47718448
>Necromancer with slightly stronger minions
>Significantly more potent than other PCs

Undead are not very tough. Even a plate armored zombie with a great axe isn't that big of a threat individually, assuming you ignore the crippling penalties for the lack of proficiencies. Don't get me wrong, a proper legion of undead can be a decent threat just through sheer volume of attacks, but a single fireball could easily wipe out half your army if they're not very spread out.
>>
>>47718514
>>47718562
>>47718732
All great ideas.
You've given me a new one, and it's something like:
>The Imperial line is replaced or bolstered by the most capable leader put forth by the nobility in a great tournament. the only way the current Imperial line can maintain its own grip is either by marrying the tournament winner or producing a tournament winner of their own.
>>
Any tips for a first-time DM I'm having issues coming up with a compelling campaign.
>>
>>47718854
Just use a module from the links in the OP. It literally tells you how to DM the campaign, and there's like ten to choose from that are all good for 1st level characters.
>>
>>47718854
Steal a first session from a book/movie/video game and go from there. No need to think up the entire story from the get go
>>
>>47718854
Number one fastest way to get a player character to do anything ever is by putting fancy magical items and hella loot on the other end of the path.
Obviously, that means the best possible villain is the guy who has all of the loot you could ever want or has a mark on his head so high so high he would be hunted by any bounty hunter with a sharp enough knife.
Better yet, I'll give you a plot hook.
>Rich motherfucker puts an absurdly high fee on the head of some Joe Schmoe who stole some of his stuff
>PCs kill him, not that hard
>When they go in for the reward, the rich guy snobbishly makes it clear that he had no intention of paying them, despite having complete ability to do so, all from behind the
I guarantee you three times out of five he'll become the party's new BBEG.
And then just have him grow to hate the characters while they grow rich in the wake of his attempts to kill them, to the point where he eventually gets serious about it.
>>
>>47718956
*all from behind enough bodyguards to make a master assassin think twice.
>>
>>47718956
No, that just results in the party attacking him in frustration because 'he has a lot of guards' isn't enough to dissuade the guys who just fought through a dungeon of monsters. Then they die because the guards were too strong.

Otherwise you have to half-ass some reason to spare them, or have them actually get through the guards, but have the guy get away. God forbid one of the party tries to use a spell or shoot him so he can't and you have to BS some magic item to let him make his escape. Even if he does, then the party still got their reward in the form of his swanky house and anything in it.

There's a reason why not putting the BBEG in the same room as your players is often given as advice, and you're trying to do it from the word go.
>>
>>47718854
I made about 7-10 one shots before starting a good campaign that lasted about half a year, learn from your masters, learn to improvise, and learn from your mistakes

Also this one is easy, let your players explore the town, then one dude with two guards says this in middle of town

"King X is looking for Courageous adventurers to clean the forest that is full of creatures(say it in a way it doesn't sound too dangerous) they will be paid with gold and their king gratefulness"
>>
>>47719407
>say it in a way it doesn't sound too dangerous

I'd suggest having them ask for 'Courageous men' or 'Courageous hunters'. That makes it sound more like they're trying to recruit the townsfolk, rather than adventuring being a profession and they're just hoping some will stumble into town.
>>
So adventurers are going to an old forest full of spiders, hangman trees, rat, snakes and other vermin, their mission is to go to an old miner town enter to a cave and retrieve a treasure from the cave that belongs to an old dwarf (the dwarf gave the mission) what kind of "boss" they can find in the cave they are a lvl 1, 5 man party
>>
File: image.jpg (117 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117 KB, 752x1063
>>47717416
Meh. Bryagh was scarier.
But since Bryagh successfully killed the entire party of main characters before getting taken down, that makes sense.
>>
Anyone have a good backstory they can create for a female halfling monk? Retarded or not, doesn't matter.
>>
>>47719732
What kind of Monk?
Also what kind of origin, like how was she trained.
>>
>>47719732
She got really tired of guys asking her to suck their dicks due to her being the perfect height, so she dedicated her life to perfecting the art of dickpunching
>>
>>47719732
Kung fu panda but instead of being enourmously obese she's just short and fat
>>
>>47719758
No idea, this is my first time playing.
>>
>>47719770
>>47719793
Anything else you guys can add on to this?
>>
>>47719801
I will attempt to give a serious answer.
Okay, so a Monk is basically a warrior trained in esoteric combat arts, right? They don't always need a monestary, just a teacher of some kind.
>>
>>47719801
You could go with a Way of the Shadows monk. That fits well with the typical stealthy Halfling aspects.
>>
>>47719844
But really, you don't need an origin, dead parents, lost heritage, amnesia, etc.
It's not a novel and you aren't the main character, so what you need isn't an origin it's a motivation.
A reason to go out and want to adventure and kick ass and earn loot.
Doesn't need to be complicated because there's a high chance nobody actually cares or will make use of it at all.
>>
>>47719801
Have you already read through the "Backgrounds" section in the PHB?
>>
>>47719732
She Isis Waning Moon, an acolyte of the shadows and seeks tho find oneness with the universe. Her nature is deceit and she exemplifies this by literally melding into the darkness of night.

She is a reincarnation of an ancient warrior and strikes with the force of a much larger person. She walks the path of the fist to become closer to her ancestor.

She has taken the name Humility, and recognises her own deficiencies. Once full of rage at the injustice of her lot in life, she has trained under her sifu to turn the strength of would-be assailants against them. Now she bares the name Humility as a living lesson to herself and others.
>>
>>47718220
she will cheat on you, and you will catch something.
but you will tell your grand kids about that pussy
>>
>>47718623
See if the DM won't put the Apparatus of Kwalish in there, or let you go on a quest to build it yourself.
>>
>>47719878
Yeah, I just read it right now.
>>
>>47719976
So, did any of it strike you as interesting? At least as a jumping-off point. There are more Backgrounds in the SCAG if you have access to that.

I don't really know what you are asking from us. 5e kind of spoonfeeds players "how do I RP" already.
>>
I come in search of help. I'm gonna be running a campaign and haven't kept up with any of the most recents updates to the game, but is there anywhere I can find an official dillydad on Way of Sun Soul or is it 3rd party shit?
>>
>>47720040
Sun soul is official, its in the Sword Coast Adventure Guide.
Its in the OPs mega link under rulebooks > supplements
>>
>>47720079
Probably should've done that before making this post. Thanks
>>
>>47720009
Well, this being my first time, everything seems pretty interesting. My question was already answered, and then some. I guess I would go with the monestary that would best suit my race, which is what you said Ways of the Shadows.
>>
>>47717566
1 (You) for you sir!
*gives you a (You)*

Yo question. If You were a Jew would your (You)s be ((((You))))s?
>>
>>47717416
>How do you manipulate events to make sure she never returns while simultaneously maintaining social standing with your adventuring group?
1. Do not pay her any attention
Done.
>>
Playable Kenku when?
>>
>>47717416
>Adventure Hook: Your friend is stupid enough to bring a girl who has never played D&D before. How do you manipulate events to make sure she never returns while simultaneously maintaining social standing with your adventuring group?
That depends, is she playing a druid?
>>
>>47717602
That still has the problem of favored enemy basically being "I really hope the DM alters their entire campaign to make sure I'm not useless." I'd much rather have the favored enemy thing be a background feature like it is now, and have something more useful at the forefront.

I mean, honestly, I'd rather they stop pretending the Ranger deserves its own class in the first place, and give us a good set of universal pet rules that work with any class (y'know, like they promised during development), and let the Ranger just be a Fighter with nature skills like the gods intended. But it looks like we're stuck with the Ranger as a class of its own, so I'd at least like it to have more of a purpose.
>>
>After a hiatus of one year decided to gather my group and play some 5e
>This time i want a small group , big groups get shitty fast
>Set a day for the session, one day before one says hey anon i cant because some social event
>change day, one day before same shit
>repeat

All the players can play that day except him and other player wants to play , should i let him out and let the other player come?
>>
>>47720321
if you mean its the same one both times, and he agreed to the second day as well, then yeah, fuck em
if he bitches, then he can show up when everyone else does
feel free to give him a third strike though if you really need to, but presuming you didn't just push it back a day or two, he's stalled the game for half a month
>>
>>47720343
Being a dm is suffering, my players want it easy and dont respect the hobby, i am seriously considering in playing with groups of older people my group ranges from 18-20
>>
H-Hi...
I'm someone who is interested in D&D, played it once and couldn't anymore for time and job.
How can I find people to game on?
Where can I see the basic rules?
Excuse me for being such a newfag, I don't even know if this is the correct damn thread.
>>
>>47720670
>
>>47717416
>>
>>47720670
Yes it is, check the mega link in the first post of the thread, look for the core rules and download the player handbook it will be all you need to learn if you are a player, this are you options for finding people my friend:

1.Roll20 for online play
2.Join a dnd/roleplaying group of facebook with your country or state IE: Roleplay Arizona , remember to ask what edition they are playing
3.Gather some friends who are interested and try to Dm, this option is only if you have balls of steel and can endure the pain
>>
>>47720722
>>47720727
Will do
Thanks
>>
File: giants.jpg (132 KB, 736x666) Image search: [Google]
giants.jpg
132 KB, 736x666
Who is getting excited about Storm King's Thunder? Can't wait to see what they do with the Rune system and the idea of possibly rewriting the Ordening sounds badass!
>>
>>47720393
>spend time designing a cool magic weapon and encounter specifically for one party member
>have to be in a certain place because campaign is time-sensitive and it wouldn't make sense anywhere else
>tfw player misses two consecutive sessions
Well damn.
>>
>>47720393

Yeah, most people in that age range are shitheads. I was a shithead when I was an undergrad. Gaming gets a lot better when you're older, but it's a hell of a lot harder to schedule games when everyone has jobs, kids, and all kinds of other obligations.
>>
File: FiveHeadedDragon-MIL1-EN-C-1E.png (364 KB, 310x450) Image search: [Google]
FiveHeadedDragon-MIL1-EN-C-1E.png
364 KB, 310x450
>>47717416
i just realized that five headed dragon is basically Tiamat
>>
Would Hoard of the Dragon Queen be fun for a new group of players.
>>
>>47721123
No. Run any other 5e adventure but that.
>>
>>47721127
How come?
>>
>>47721097
Looks more Ghidorah with extra robot heads than typical Tiamat.
>>
File: Ranger Replacement Options.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ranger Replacement Options.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47717579
This.
>>
>>47721133
That particular adventure path is... well, it's very bad. It's heavy-handed and railroady, flat characters and a ridiculous set up (both in-game and in the lore).

Play the Starter Set, then transition it into the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure.
>>
>>47721123
>>47721127
I'm running HotDQ as my first campaign as a DM and we're having fun. At least one of the players was new to D&D and another was new to 5e.

Granted it takes some prep as a DM but then again any campaign will need that.
>>
>>47721123
I wouldn't run HotDragQueen, personally. It's pretty bad about railroading the players and has some pretty bad storytelling. And a practically unwinnable encounter early on that makes no difference to the story even if you do beat it (at least I think that was HotDQ, might have been another one).
I've heard great things about Lost Mines of Phandelver on the other hand. Grab a .pdf of it (and HotDQ if you're heart is set on it) in the Mega trove in the OP.
>>
>>47721155
>feat, choose any creature at all, choose any shit cr0 creature, or cr1 if you're a warlock, or choose literally anything rideable because lel RAW
>>
>>47721204
>CR
Shit. I'll fix that. It should be the normal limit as the Ranger ability.
>>
>>47721184
Can i just start with Princes of the Apocalypse?
>>
>>47721223
You could, but the Starter Set is a great way to introduce people new to the game (both running and playing) the ropes.
>>
>>47721218
thank you, that honestly is the only glaring problem. im a fan of spelless rangers even if it doesn't make a huge amount of sense and honestly, everyone i have liked had some form of poultice ability
>>
Whats a good feat for a young paladin with a high intelligence on a uest to prove himself? I was thinking Magic Initiate so it would fluff like he was studying spells, and so i could nab some tasty cleric movies, but is there any other feat im missing that would be more beneficial?
>>
>>47717579
A bit late to this party, but I'm answering anyway.

If you ask me, most of the problems with Ranger can be avoided pretty straightforwardly:

>Move Fighting Style from 2nd level to 1st level

>increase the number of skills learned from the Ranger list from 3 to 4
They take a bit to hit their stride normally, so a jump-start helps them be better defined from earlier on. Between the skills and fighting style, they feel more like a Ranger at level one.

>Expertise in two Ranger skills at level 2
The stock ranger is easily outshined at the exploration pillar by both other casters and other skill-focused characters until they hit mid levels. It being the Ranger, that's pretty fucked up. Expertise gives them a firm basis for more Rangery-ness.

>Move Foe Slayer to level 6
>allow a Beastmaster to use it and pass the benefits to their companion
>make the new capstone that it can be applied once per attack

For Beastmaster:
>Add the Ranger's proficiency to the all the companion's saving throws, not just what it's proficient in
No qualifying creatures are proficient in any save, so the feature as-is did literally nothing.

>increase the companion's HP floor from 4 per Ranger level to 7 per Ranger level.
With this and the Save bonus it should make companions much less prone to being incinerated by stray fireballs and the like, which is the most consistent complaint I've seen so far.
>>
>>47721251
Thanks for the notice! I like both Spellcasting and Spell Less Rangers, but since no one can ever seem to agree on what the "proper" flavor of a Ranger should be, I think both should be represented.

And no one likes the actual Ranger class, so...
>>
I have a player wanting to use conjure barrage with improvised ranged weapons.
Am I being silly by not allowing that?
Improvised weapon != weapon, right?
>>
>>47721647
I don't see why you wouldn't allow it, it's not like it breaks anything. Provided, of course, that you don't let a player throw a Molotov and let all the Molotov copies explode and deal fire damage. Just have the copies disappear once they've made initial contact and you're fine.
Besides, I love the idea of the Ranger being fucking unstoppable in a snowball fight.
>>
>>47721681
That's the problem. I don't want to OK something that a player is going to exploit. I try to shut down munchkins as fast as possible.
If they wanted to toss snowballs I'd be okay with that, if we're gonna have a winter-vacation episode.
>>
>>47721767
>If they wanted to toss snowballs I'd be okay with that, if we're gonna have a winter-vacation episode.
>tfw ranger, bard and vengeance paladin have a snowball fight that ends up covering the whole town under snow
>>
>>47721681
thinking about it, you are right though.
Doesn't really break much.
I told them so long as it's something you can reasonably chuck at someone, i'll let you do it.
>>
How are bards in 5e? I might have a game coming up and I was considering playing a bard.
>>
>>47721985
Breddy gud.

Excellent, really. Maybe THE most versatile caster class right after wizard, which can also do other flavours of utility.
>>
>>47722011
I've liked everything I've seen so far, I was thinking Half-Elf for the extra skills.
>>
>>47721985
Seems fun. I have no experience with casters, but we had a guy join our group recently and he rolled a bard, and we have not had a bard yet. And he was drowning in bitches in no time.
>>
>>47722027
It's a great match... Can't go wrong unless you really try.

Thinking of Lore or Valour (or even to lesser extend, Blade or Fool)?
>>
>>47721985
They're fun but I still sort of wish they were a half caster with more class features.
>>
>>47721155
Welp, time to not have rangers be an option in my game.
>>
>>47722120
Bruh I'm still disappointed Sorcerer got its own class despite still being so close to the Wizard in playstyle that it isn't funny and Warlock got spellcasting instead of a host of neat Invocations and weird non-spell magical powers.
>>
>>47722053
Lore looks pretty fun.
>>
>>47722120
Well, if you alternate with a different class that's effectively the case, right?
>>
>>47722137
>Sorcerer got its own class despite still being so close to the Wizard in playstyle
Shit, that hasn't been true for me at all. Wizards are all about utility, choosing the right spells for each situation. Sorcerers have such a limited number of spells that they have to be very careful about their choices, but they are going to be amazing with their spells thanks to metamagic.
>>
>>47722053
Blade and Jester feel like stuff that should have been in the PHB from the get go, they made me a lot more wet than a bigger spell list and "EK but castier"

>>47722391
Sort of but their class features stop leveling much
That said, Bard is really extremely front loaded for dips.
>>
Whoever decided Forgotten Realms should be the 'official' D&D setting for 5ed should die in a fire.

Despite that, 5ed is pretty good.
>>
>>47717579
Give beast master more beasts to comtrol, 2 wolves at level 7, 4 by level 20, and be a true beast master.
>>
>>47722876
Still better than Greyhawk
>>
Anyone try the Mystic(Psionic) from the playtest?
How balanced would you say that is, comparative to other classes and additionally how its own options compare to each other? (e.g. dead options or some clearly more powerful)
Would you allow them as is or make some house rules?
What would be some of your preferred builds?

I ask because im going to be playing one in a campaign and i dont assume i know everything and a second opinion is nice to have.
>>
>>47722987
I think it's a bit over the top right now. I let one of my players take mystic levels, and now he's a paladin/mystic

The damage he puts out from combining smite and the mystic smite thing seems obscene.
>>
>>47722876
Honestly the adventures should be set in generic "anywhere" places, not explicitly forgotten realms.
>>
>>47722876
Do people really use the official settings?

I could see that in something like Star Wars, or Shadowrun, where the setting is half the point. But in DnD, where everything is super generic, the rules are widely applicable to generic fantasy, etc, I can't see why people wouldn't just make their own shit up all the time.
>>
>>47718598
Getting to reroll a bad roll nullifies the reason for 4d6d1. It's meant to get 18s at level 1 and the chance to have 2 8s. Pointbuy or stick with your rolls.
>>
>>47723024
Of course we don't but
>>47723023
That's a problem. Not to mention the Monster Manual talks about the Underdark like all settings should use that piece of shit. I like my mountains filled with aberrations, giant insects and some fungi, not dark evil humanoids. There's a ton of that elsewhere, thank you.

Instead of a bigger rant, let's say FR feels like really really old. We're in 2016 and not the 80s.
>>
File: 11.png (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
11.png
7 KB, 250x250
>>47717416
What is the better control spell: Confusion or Hypnotic Pattern?
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>47719669
Have the item be tangled up in web at the end of the cave, spider is hiding on ceiling, wait for a PC to climb up the web and have it web the PC, let the other 4 fight the Giant Spider.

Being typical PCs your friendly neighborhood Wizard/Sorceror is going to try to set fire to the web. Have the entire area be covered in web, they have to walk over it. And have it go up in flames like that. Fire spreads, web falls and a burning mass of web is between the PCs and the exit as they fight a very angry Giant Spider and maybe some small ones thrown in.
>>
>>47723057
Hypnotic pattern
They only get one save
>>
>>47723046

Practical advice first: I just tell my players to ignore any setting specific stuff in the monster manual if they're reading it. They're aware that I can use anything that would be appropriate for my setting at any time.

>Rant Time.
Well, that's wizards of the coast for you. They have something that worked in the 80s, and they're going to coast along with it once they get the IP rather than innovating. And who can blame them? The last time they tried to innovate, people magnified the flaws and went back to the safe space of 3.PF. So now we get 3.75 Edition. (which is admittedly, a good, if shallow product)

You just know if wizards cut out the references to forgotton realms, wizard's headquarters would be crushed beneath the weight of pitchforks and obesity that would assault it.

You can look forward to another 20 years of caster supremacy for this reason. Because "they changed it, now it sucks" is the core logical process of Wizard's most dedicated fans.
>>
>>47723118
Let's say Eberron got most of the things right, too bad it was tainted by how horrible 4ed was, but it's way of a better setting than FR.

But that aside, neither 3ed nor PF tries to push an official setting down your throat as hard as 5ed is doing with Realms. It's ok to release adventure, campaign settings and all what you want for the Realms, but when 90% of it IS for the Realms? and what's supposed to be Core is filled with Realms? Fuck that shit.

But I understand, the market is as you say. Caster superority aside (we won't agree there), I'm grateful for things like the 'now you need less magic items' this edition introduced. Simple is better after all, and it's the best D&D system - or related - released, and I still prefer to deal with the Realms than to be so bloated it stinks, which is what's PF is now.
>>
>>47723095
Just a few considerations: A giant Spider type boss against a party of 5 level 1s is going to make for a very unsatisfying affair for 2 people, guaranteed, the way you set it up.

Disabling someone right at the beginning is stupid. Especially in what is going to be a 1 or 2 round affair. You're basically saying to whatever player that you disable that they don't get to participate in this fight.

Second, The fight is going to be so binary it isn't even fun. Either the spider is going to roll high on iniititave and kill a player right away with it's average of 11 damage per successful attack, or the spider is going to get mobbed by the players, because it has 1 action to the payer's 4. (or 5 if as is very likely, nobody is dumb enough to climb the web at the start), and only has 26 HP.

I say give the spider some legendary actions and more HP, and tone down the poison to something manageable: 1 damage, no save per round, until the wound is treated with magic or medicine. Forget about surprise restraints on people.

Also, make the webbing matter. Have there be several spider web balls that look big enough to contain stuff, spread out across the room. Hopefully the party splits up to investigate them. When they are split up, the spider attacks one guy.
>>
>Take thieves tools prof so when I get a set I can use them to open locks
>Someone else in the group has sleight of hand and the DM lets them use that with snapped bolt to open locks anyway with no disadvantage
o-oh... ok
>>
>>47723268
Find a new DM. That's not even a relevant skill to the task.
>>
>>47723118
>>47723198
I still find it weird how much Wizards is trying to pander to people who love the FR.
Especially given that the community of people who do enjoy the setting is so fragmented between people who say it started and ended with the greybox, people who say that it was great until the Era of Upheaval or Time of Troubles, people who say everything TSR Realms did was amazing, people who love 3e Realms (and usually the novel characters too), and the people who never knew about the Realms until 4e's rendition of them.

They rolled back almost all of 4e.
The writing about the gods and their involvement suggests it's closer to the Greybox days where the book openly said it was okay to not worship a god despite how crazy that sounds to the common man.
The writings in the SCAG about some of the nations (particularly Cormyr) suggests a return to 3e lore, where things became a lot more black and white. Yes, I am bitter that Cormyr is no longer the Big Brother state, with Purple Dragon Knights as both the knights in shining armor and the secret police that arrest people for asking too many questions.
And the adventures mostly seem like they're in a limbo between AD&D1e and AD&D2e Realms, in that they omit a lot of the "big name shows up to help you!" that happened towards the end of TSR and in some WotC products, but they're also doing the "Massive world shaking event every other week!" that AD&D2e was huge on.

It's like they're trying to appeal to everyone and I can't imagine it's working well.
Or at least that's what I would have said prior to learning they're making a new Volo's Guide, which I admit, that is the one 5e book I may actually pay for outside of the PHB/DMG/MM.
>>
>>47722138
Lore's probably best, purely mechanically speaking.
>>
>>47723024
Ravenloft, PS, Darksun and even Birthright (despite being mega generic) were actually relatively fun settings to work from.

But admittedly I playtested the 3rd edition BR rules so there's that.
>>
>>47723310
>Volo
Hope it's a well-done MM2, because something fun happened to me.
>Players will go to the forest, they need to get past a lake so I'll get a Nymph.
>Oh, she's not in the MM? Ok, I guess I'll power up a Nixie inst...
>what the flying fuck?

I converted a Nymph of course. I guess there were some SJW involved that doesn't know she has a male counterpart in the Satyr, who 'somehow' made it to the MM.
>>
>>47723023
I'm fairly sure the only reason they didn't do generic "anywhere" places was because they didn't want to dedicate a staff to coming up with new plothooks when they have filing cabinets upon filing cabinets of shit Ed Greenwood came up with decades ago that just needs some tweaking and stat blocks to work with 5e.
>>
>>47723198
Eberron didn't get everything right. It got things right in the context of a world like 3rd and 4th edition presume exist.
>>
>>47723368
>muh SJW bogeyman
It was probably an oversight given that there are other fairy and demonic archetypes based around seduction to begin with.
>>
>>47723368
Yeah, that one happened to me as well.
But if anyone is going to talk about Nymphs, it would be Volo, who would likely have a reference to his unreleased work on "Volo's Complete Guide to the Behaviour of Nymphs".

Which is also why I am a bit fearful for the book.
If they go full Volo's Guide it'll be amazing for anyone who was a fan of the original guides, but they'll also be the only ones who like it (and a few new people), since Volo's Guides are just that, guides written by a dude who enjoys learning magic, finding out about secrets, meeting powerful creatures, getting laid and putting his nose where it doesn't belong.

On the other hand, if they force it to be written like a proper gamebook instead, where it keeps to the necessary information with maybe a small blurb here and there to show Volo's and/or Elminster's thoughts, they'll alienate the people who came specifically because they heard "Volo's Guide" and more or less confirm to those people that they'll use any name just for nostalgia sales.
>>
>>47723399
most =/= everything

Of course it had it flaws. I played the setting in 3.5 and there were things that were a bit this and bit that, after all it is a cringy world, but nowhere near the shit the Realms have.
>>
>>47723412
If it was only the Nymph, I would belive that. But when the Nixie is also absent AND the Satyr is there like nobody's business? That's full of shit.
>>47723421
I really hope is the latter case to be honest, or a mix like 1 monster static page as in the MM and 1 rambling about whatever Volo wants to say about it.

I guess Elminster will describe the less 'appealing' monster if Volo is that kind of guy.
>>
>>47721360
Magic Initiate would be good to make use of the high int, you could go observant or keen mind to really send home the idea of being smart.

Ritual Caster is a lot more utility and makes use of spells which gives off intelligence.

And Skilled I guess, for History, Arcana, and Religion checks
>>
>>47723479
Just remix a dryad.

>>47723437
IMO it's about equal, the main difference is that it's written to be hyper magical from the get go and doesn't pretend to have a historical era in mind.

OTOH my favorite 2E shit was stuff like early Darksun, Ravenloft, Gothic Earth and the Historical Supplements, so there's probably also a difference in play style.
>>
>>47723210
The DC to break the webbing is a measly 12, they could make that in their first turn and jump into the fight. And if you want a walk in the park fight then go right ahead and tone it down, but someone going to 0 hp in a fight is not uncommon, especially cause this is the last fight of the campaign.

To me, this would be nerve racking and make me actually worried for the fight, and I have fun when it isn't an easy one.

Even if they do wipe, the poison brings them to a paralyzed state for an hour. Let the time go bye as the spider is wrapping up all the party members and let the first poisoned guy make a con save to go to 1 HP. He can be given a chance to save the party with some good skill checks.

I would run this battle.
>>
>>47717726
Any advice?
>>
>>47723626
The break attempt costs an action. They don't get to jump into the fight, they miss it because the fight lasts a round, during which they use their action to break some web. The point isn't to make the fight a walk in the park, it's to make it dangerous, but longer lasting, so everyone gets a fair shake in it.

>the spider rolled higher initiative than me, then dealt more damage than I had HP in one turn to me, so I literally had no chance to do anything other than bleed out

does not a fun fight make.

If you were actually thinking, you'd note that the poison is still incredibly dangerous, probably moreso than vanilla, because it would cause death save failures at a much greater rate than anything they'd possibly face up to that point. The only thing it doesn't do is practically guarantee the spider knocks someone unconscious on the first turn.
>>
>>47717726
It's so far out there that it's hard to give input on. What's his class?
>>
>>47723741
The poison stabilizes the target when it gets to 0 hp it wouldn't make any death saving throws.

And with how many campaigns I have played I wish someone was instadowned more than it happens. I can imagine three of them downed, the last two are having to decide between running or fighting while the spider is on single digit Health without them realizing it and then having to take a risk. That's what I think is exciting and that's what I would like preferably.
>>
>>47719732
Her parents sent her to Miss Daisy's Dance Academy. Turns out Miss Daisy trains ninjas. Now you're using your dance skills to pay for tuition/student loans.
>>
>>47723885
Is your character down or up?
>>
>>47720246
This. Top kek, I am going to be so upset if I didn't screen capture the original. Would be a nice little compilation if they were all capped.
>>
>>47723885
I'm talking about the poison I proposed mong. 1 damage, no save, until the target is cured with magic or medicine.

And the situation you described is fun for precisely two people. It's one thing if the situation happens after a long drawn out fight during which everyone got to participate. It's another if 3 people were instadowned and never got to do anything. As an illustrative example, take it to the logical extreme: everyone is instandowned except an NPC.
>>
Are there any decent, well-balanced, homebrew Tiny player races? What considerations would I have to keep in mind when playing a Tiny character?
>>
Sorry, I couldn't find it on 1d4chan
What does SCAG mean?
>>
>>47723976
The character is down and unconscious in this condition.
>>
>>47724081
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
>>
>>47723057
Confusion works on things immune to Charm.
>>
>>47724091
He's asking if your character is unconscious, or if your character is the lucky one that isn't. Does your fun change?
>>
>>47724040
I see your reasoning, and yeah I can see that it may not be a fun fight like a few bandits. But no matter what it is exciting, and I love exciting fights. That's my opinion at least.
>>
>>47724160
The two characters are up in that example, and the three are down but stable of course. And I'm not sure what you mean by fun changing.
>>
>>47724102
Thank
>>
>>47717731
Just saw in another thread there was a problem in Scotland where drug dealers were operating out of ice cream trucks.
>>
>>47723786
He's playing a battlemaster fighter. So just someone who likes to hit things a lot of times
>>
>>47717680
>Level 20 ranger can have a young red dragon for a companion

I want this
>>
>>47724275
It's cool right? Wizards tried so hard to keep the beastmaster from being cool, that they forgot character classes should be cool.
>>
>>47724256
Is he going unarmed as well? But the bounces with multiple attacks is a good idea, he's not gonna be hitting the high damage but he can do some good CC with the maneuvers. It's definitely balanced cause it's a d4, and I am very ok with 2d4+6-8 damage per turn.
>>
File: 5e_UA_Feats-V1_Burglar.png (56 KB, 623x411) Image search: [Google]
5e_UA_Feats-V1_Burglar.png
56 KB, 623x411
Is this the worst feat ever?

Just give the option to choose any single tool proficiency and get a +1 to the relevant ability score. It's weird to have this feat in the first place considering the Skilled feat from the PHB gives 3 skill or tool proficiencies of your choice.

But really, who would take this feat? Anyone who wants to pick locks will grab Thieves' Tools proficiency from their background or class (or the Skilled feat and choose an additional two skills or tools). Maybe if a rogue really wants expertise in thieve's tools but wants to spend his class-granted expertise applications on other skills? Still, not super exciting. I guess it's an option for characters who want to upgrade their dex to even it out to 20 but don't give a shit about Weapon Master or Athlete and already have Dex saves, so they don't care about Resilient.
>>
>>47717416

I would never do such a thing. Also several times a guy has brought a girl and she became a solid member of the group. Once I invited a girl, she hooked up with a guy in the group, they're still married (neither one was a great player to begin with, so eh). Good times.
>>
>>47724343
It's the only way for a non-rogue to get expertise in thieves' tools.
>>
>>47724356
And why exactly does a non-rogue absolutely need Expertise in theive's tools? The rogue just gets a bunch of expertise so applying it to thieves' tools is just a little bonus if you don't have another skill you want to boost. Proficiency with theive's tools and decent dexterity is more than enough for any locks you'll reasonably encounter that you aren't constrained by time to pick.
>>
/tg/ I need some help. I'm a Forgotten Realms noob and first time DM running a module. To top it off, I'm not so good at describing stuff and english is not my first language. My players are about to reach Waterdeep, how can I describe it to make it sound as alive and big as it seems to be? Are there any sources that I could read to help me in this? Even if it's just about describing fantasy cities in general.
>>
So wand of magic missiles, what is the true stats on it.

only be able to use 1 - 3 charges at a time or can you use all 7 and have a 5th level spell cast with no chance of breakage, seems op at the level you can get one.
>>
I have yet to play 5e, so sorry if these are old topics.

How does it do with martial/caster balance? If there are too-weak classes, are there any good homebrewed solutions floating around?
>>
>>47724315
Yeah, he's unarmed (besides the shield). He just wants to run around and punch things with a shield or throw his shield at them. Should I bump the damage up to a d6?
>>
>>47724463
Martial caster balance is better. Most full casters are still quite strong, but it's not like 3.5 where simply having ANY spellcasting ability makes you way stronger.

The only really weak things are a handful of subclasses. Way of the 4 element monks and beastmaster rangers are standouts.

They're relatively easy to fix though. Wot4 monk just needs extra Ki. Ranger needs a larger overhaul, but it's still mostly small tweaks
>>
File: Ajkxp4g.jpg (203 KB, 650x919) Image search: [Google]
Ajkxp4g.jpg
203 KB, 650x919
Rogue, Cleric, Barbarian, ______

What class should a fourth character be? What should you be looking for?
>>
>>47724575
Mage
>>
>>47724557
How are Fighters? Do they avoid the old "I hit it; I hit it again" combat style?
>>
>>47724575
Bard
>>
>>47724194
If your character is up it's fun for you because you have to decide what's more important-saving your allies, attacking the spider, or something else. There's tension and risk/reward in what you do.

If you're down then you don't do any of that. You just sit there and watch everything else happen. And if you were instadowned then you literally couldn't do anything. I'd be pissed off if you did this to me
>>
File: Ranger Fix.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ranger Fix.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47717579
I normally like minimalist approaches instead of radical changes - utilizing what's already there instead of coming up with new stuff.
>>
>>47724528
If you want to be a generous DM you could have it scaling damage like the monk martial arts, d4 to d6 to d8 to d10.
>>
>>47724588
Well you've got three main subclasses:

>Champion
Yeah, this is just "I hit it. I hit it again."
>Battlemaster
You get what's called superiority dice to spend on maneuvers. These let you do fancy things such as tripping opponents, disarming them, pushing them, taunting them, and so on
>Eldritch Knight
You get some magic added to your repertoire which lets you mix up how you fight or adds to your defensive capabilities
>>
>>47724463
Damage wise, martials/casters are balanced. Utility wise, Casters still blow martials out of the water. If you want to be useful at all aspects of the game, you pick a caster. If you just want to be good at reducing enemy HP, you pick a martial.
>>
>>47724684
Good idea, thanks anon!
>>
>>47724588
Depends on the archetype, champion can be like that but more often you hit and roll more dice, maneuvers can be good, and Eldritch Knight can vary. I played a Battlemaster fighter with the shield master feat, and this could be my turn.

>Move 30 feet towards caster, attack, use superiority dice to disarm caster of his arcane focus, a staff. He fails, drops the arcane staff, free action kick it away. Bonus action knock him prone with feat, second attack has advantage.

So a fighter can be much more than hit hit but you got to pick the archetype that allows more.
>>
>>47724660
I don't like the size thing. People might want to use a small companion.
>>
>>47724731
And this is why my gish is never, ever going to rely on spells with material components for combat, fuck Battlemasters.
>>
>>47724575
Bard, wizard, and sorcerer would all work grand if the cleric is moderately armored and up front, with bard being the best of the bunch. Paladin, fighter, or bard if the cleric plans to stay in the back more, with paladin and bard being tied on who would be best.
>>
>>47724660
I like this
>>
>>47724608
Yeah some people may not have fun with this, if it was a one session deal it wouldn't be fun I agree, but this won't be the last fight, you won't always be the one caught, and you will definitely have your glory.

Or you know the spider can just roll under 10 the entire encounter and it could be a walk in the park.
>>
>>47724760
One day, I am gonna have a martial with Mage Slayer, and every spell caster we ever face is gonna have the worst day of their life.
>>
>>47724442
Basically the DMG says this

WAND OF MAGIC MISSILES, uncommon
This wand has 7 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the magic missile spell from it. For 1 charge, you cast the 1st-level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend. The wand regains ld6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the wand's last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand crumbles into ashes and is destroyed.

Seems OP as balls at low level.
>>
>>47724382
In the current campaign I'm running nobody even has proficiency in thieves tools, and the bard is doing her best with a set she found this feat would be pure gold for her
>>
>>47724840
This is the day I'm switching from elemental weapons + rapier to bladelock
>>
>>47724883
Is your player illiterate?
Are you illiterate?

>>47724356
Are you illiterate?
>>
Can a character choose how much of their Strength modifier to apply to an attack (if the modifier is greater than 0)?
>>
>>47724441
No advice?
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Skilled.png (210 KB, 685x144) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Skilled.png
210 KB, 685x144
>>47724929
Pic related
>>
>>47724986
You can't get expertise from skilled.
>>
>>47724441
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Waterdeep

Or find a module that goes into the explanation of the city.
>>
>>47724938
No
>>
>>47724938
You can decide to hit non-lethally
>>
>>47724938
try 2nd edition rules for 'sap / sapping'

or make up your own.
>>
File: 1463633914218.jpg (42 KB, 437x501) Image search: [Google]
1463633914218.jpg
42 KB, 437x501
>>47724998
Oh, shit. I'm illiterate. My bad.

Got confused because the other guy just wanted proficiency.

pic related mfw
>>
>>47725081
If it was just proficiency, honestly yeah it would be shitty as hell, but as a convenient way to get an expertise and half a feat, I can see it being justified.

I need to figure out a way to redo Great War Project's Mad Scientist rule in 5e now.
>>
I've been having a lot of success with inspiration cards. I made up 90 (i've previously posted the set in this thread), and have been playtesting them with my group. Some of the cards are definitely duds, and I'm changing those out. But overall the effect they have on my games is great.

The players are roleplaying more to get inspiraiton, because the cards offer a more tangible reward, and the players really seem to enjoy using them. I can also use the inspiration cards as a prompt to spice up combat if I feel it's getting stale, by playing them on behalf of the NPCs.

Some of the cards are extremely powerful, which may prove problematic for some people. But I've reserved the right to veto some attempted uses, and so far haven't had to use it. There's one card for instance, that turns any item the player has into a magic item of their choice. So far only one person has drawn it, and they used it in a pretty appropriate way to meet some session goals.

I'll finish up updating my card list, and post them for you guys later, but I highly recommend the concept of an inspiration card deck for all those dms out there.
>>
>>47725123
Yeah, but all the other Tool feats from that UA give {Proficiency or Expertise}, Half ASI, and additional benefits. It's so damn boring, feats should be fun.

This feat is literally just:
"u get to get more higher numbers with thieves' tools"
>>
>>47725211
True enough.
I feel like they could tie in nicely with a more expanded crafts system (I've always been fond of the idea of removing the potions and compounds from the base magic item list and integrating those to the world as very high priced, sort of mundane fantasy products, it's not going to proliferate due to price, but still not tied to Magic rather than lowkey magic, like in older fantasy)
>>
>>47724441
Why the fuck are you playing the Realms?
>>
File: Cerilia Physical.jpg (119 KB, 1024x665) Image search: [Google]
Cerilia Physical.jpg
119 KB, 1024x665
Rather than play official settings, I mostly get inspired/steal wholesale.

rn I'm basically running a Ravenloft/Birthright/homebrew mix.
>>
>>47725305
My players can't figure out they're playing in flipped-map-China, which is good since I can apply Romance to the Three Kingdoms shenanigans here and there.

The sad thing is that they call the flipped Korea Peninsula "The Horn" and thinks I'm just using some kind of Unicorn-esque beast as the map.
>>
>>47725010
Thanks.

>>47725267
As I said, first time DM, figured it would be easier to run a module, and I really didn't want to go through worldbuilding. But my real problem is my lack of descriptive abilities, I often find myself not knowing how to better help my players visualize locations and NPCs. They haven't complained so far, but I don't like it.
>>
>>47717566
This is one area pre 3.x DnD got kinda right with the entire idea of "hey, this shit gets really wonky once you get past level 15 or so".
>>
File: 1425594342501.jpg (184 KB, 768x523) Image search: [Google]
1425594342501.jpg
184 KB, 768x523
What is the best way to necromancer/minionmancer? I want to drown my foes in wave after wave of summons.
>>
>>47725428
I've used flipped and recolored maps of Venice, NYC and Montreal for seas and landmasses without anyone raising an eyebrow.
>>
>>47725570
This box + 1 Undead command blister = 1000p army for Warhammer Fantasy Battles, 3rd. Ed. Good times.
>>
>>47725504
Then I have something for you that will help you improve those skills:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_

If you keep using the Realms, is your choice. Thing is that's kind of a moneytrap (well, pirate trap if we're honest with ourselves) and may make your players feel unimportant if they meet too many of the world's NPC (I recommend you to kill anyone who's above certain level. You can use them as legends, you can ignore them, but do not keep them alive), so consider that as countermeasures. Also, get the 3.5 PDFs as the Realms got a lot of shit published during that era and that may help you to get descriptions of the many places your players may visit.
>>
2nd level wizard spells?
I was thinking;
Flaming Sphere
Web
See Invisibility
Mirror image
Anything I should replace?
>>
I'm thinking of basing a boss monster on a Chasme.

What are some good legendary actions beyond "move" and "attack"?
>>
>>47717992
>Wizard can have a pet with its own initiative at level 1 capable of casting spells and using the Help action
>Ranger can spend their action to do shit damage and probably get their animal killed
>>
>>47725650
I would trade see invisibility for the invisibility spell. Other than that you should be solid.
>>
>>47724706
Not actually accurate.

You can sort of batman wizard in 5e but you sacrifice a lot of battle strength and casters have way less I win buttons as a way to automatically win or bypass encounters.

A party is still going to want a thief type to handle a lot of the exploration activities like finding and disarming traps.

If you assume that d&d should be like 1/3rd combat, 1/3rd exploration, 1/3 social non combat stuff then while the casters are useful they can't dominate exploration and social in the same way they could in 3.x

Charm spells are useful but extremely limited in application and the ability to spam encounter bypassing spells like teleport and flight are very limited.

So while casters are useful they mainly function as force multipliers to the skills pcs have already.
>>
>>47725570
Druids are great minionmancers, Wizard Conjuration is good but it takes some time to get to the good stuff like Lesser Elementals and Elementals.
>>
>>47724301
This happens to pretty much any pet class in any kind of game. The developers are so afraid of making it overpowered, it turns out shit.
>>
>>47725809

Beastmaster was clearly based upon a very 4e concept of the action economy that was later abandoned in the actual 5e rules.

So beastmaster kinda looks like 4e pet classes and pretty much sucks from a 5e perspective.

Even if it scales to the right damage the durability of the pet is garbage. You could make it summoned at the beginning of each fight with full hps. But even then it needs to be summoned with a free action.

My preference would be for a more durable animal that fights on its own that hits weaker.
>>
>>47725650
Alter self. It's very useful when in a bind.
>>
So I'm sitting here scratching my ass and planning a character if my current character in the ongoing campaign with my group goes tits up. I'm thinking of Warlock with Cthulu as his best pal (Great Old One as Otherwordly Patron), with focus on bullshitting my way through things (high charisma, charlatan background, etc). But looking at the expanded spell list for Great Old One, there's the Awakened Mind thing that lets me telepathically communicate with any creature. Can I use this to influence people, and does it work with the Actor feat, plus can I direct from where the voice in head is heard? And is Awakened Mind easily detected? I want to for example make a patron in a tavern believe the person next to them called him a fag and start a brawl, while my character is at the other end of the room.
>>
>>47726092
Sounds like a DM question, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as you roll a deception check, confirm with DM first before you replace your character.
>>
>>47726146
Yeah I thought about a Deception check. And its going be my replacement if my current character perishes, so one at a time. And we have weaved in new character in the story before so it should be no problem.
>>
Class for a Human Smith Raised by dwarfs?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.