[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5E General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: 27893483452.jpg (31 KB, 280x300) Image search: [Google]
27893483452.jpg
31 KB, 280x300
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

How do you handle excessive looting shenanigans?
>>
>>47643884
I replaced Hex with Hellish Rebuke. Definitely fits the Oath's flavor. Thanks for the input!
>>
>>47644109
Bring in full encumbrance rules to make the dwarf happy.
Use the deck of cards trick to distribute loot to the players randomly, giving everyone a chance to get something to hold onto tight.
Drop a chest of ten thousand (copper) coins.

>>47644139
I hope it all goes down well, mate
>>
File: PdhZvLo.gif (585 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
PdhZvLo.gif
585 KB, 300x186
>>47644109
Unearthed Arcana is today, isn't it?

It better not be a fucking DMGuild insert again or I'm going to be peeved
>>
>>47644215
What are you hoping for in the upcoming Unearthed Arcana?
Would love to see some new Spells, maybe something specially fitting the Ravenloft adventure
>>
>>47644109
>cursed items
>encumberance
>npc thieves
>traps
>broken items
>>
I want to make a game with Mind Flayers as antagonists for at least one quest line because muh Lovecraft.

Does anyone have stats on an Elder Brain? Also, any extra lore on Elder Brains that I might be able to use?

Also, because I'm crazy and like to mash every single thing ever together, how stupid would it be for mind flayers to be controlling a Vampire?
>>
File: Oath of the Banished Fiend.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Oath of the Banished Fiend.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47644212
>I hope it all goes down well, mate
Me too. The Paladin is Chaotic Good, so I'm not sure if his character will immediately kill the fiend upon discovering it or if he will take mercy on her.

Probably final version of the oath attached. Fixed the background this time as well.
>>
>>47644241
Spells, equipment, or archetypes
>>
>>47644241
Not him but I want crafting rules

Alchemy, Tinkering, Blacksmithing, etc. Should really be less taxing than "x gold and y time"

Potions should be easier to make, for one
>>
>>47644267
>chaotic good

You might have wasted all that effort, anon
>>
>>47644297
>You might have wasted all that effort, anon
I dunno. His backstory deals with revenge on a specific fiend, which this fiend is also after.

Besides, she will earn his trust in human/half-elf form first. I'm putting her in a dungeon, being tortured and drained by a Warlock; Classic "damsel-in-distress."
>>
So I may be having the chance to DM a campaign at my local place and I'm generally inexperienced at it. I have done little bullshit one shots and I know most if not all the rules, but I want to run one of the book campaigns. The only book campaigns I've done are a current run through of Curse of Strahd.

Which 5e campaigns are considered more enjoyable with the others? Which are easier to run? I would really prefer to run something other than CoS.
>>
>>47644325
I've heard PotA is a good campaign to run and play in. Has a section to get players up to level 3 as well.
>>
>>47644318
Man, when was the last time a damsel in distress was actually just a dame what needed saving I ask ya?
>>
>>47644288
Great idea, those things are really much overdue by now.

Did they advance the Spell-less Ranger past lvl 5 yet?
>>
>>47644260
A little bit over the top I would say... Are you looking for a lovecraftian horror adventure or just a typical dungeon crawler with Minecraft themes?

Elderbrain is pretty easy to stat up since it is mostly just a collection of psionic powers with a tentacle attack and a fat stack of hitpoints. Easily scalable to whatever you need it to be.

If you really want a controlled vampire... Make it a non-conventional one. Make it appear to be a vampire functionally while being something completely alien. The host of a blood sucking parasite, an illithid thrall planting brain worms in victims, a bestial and savage spawn of the outer realms that eats the brains of its victims and just happens to drain all their blood with it.

And I sincerely hope you don't mean to imply you want to transition from Curse of Strahd to this adventure...
>>
Is there anything RAW against Paladins switching Oaths? My paladin is an Oath of Devotion but with his choices in the future could lead to breaking his Mercy Tennant. With his new look on life would he have to request absolution to switch oaths or would it be something seperate.

I know I gotta ask my DM about this but I'm seeing if there are any rules in the books concerning it.
>>
Obviously the wording is trash, but how balanced does the below look?

At third level, when you hit an enemy with an unarmed strike, you may expend a ki point to heal an ally within 10ft for 1d4 + your wisdom modifier. This amount increases to 2d4 at 6th level, 3d4 at 11th level and 4d4 at 17th level.

At 6th level you gain the ability to channel divine energy through your ki. Select one Cleric domain. You gain the Channel Divinity class feature and can spend 3 ki points to use the Channel Divinity feature of that domain, using your monk level in place of cleric levels.

At 11th level, you can use your ki to cast divine spells. Your spells known are those given by your chosen domain. To cast a spell you must spend ki points equal to twice the level of the spell. You can only cast spells at their lowest possible level this way.

At 17th level, your mastery of divine ki is such that you can coax souls back into the bodies of the departed and banish hostile entities. You can cast Raise Dead and Banishment without any material components by spending 10 ki points.
>>
>>47644650
Don't really like the first feature, maybe give a sort of lay on hands using ki instead?

Other than that it seems okay I guess
>>
>>47644619
You gonna end an oathbreaker.
RIP in pieces.
>>
>>47644650
With the level 11 feature I'm not really sure how to balance that. Doubling the cost for ki to spell slots isn't what the other monks do. But then again all I'm seeing is your Holy Monk casting Death Ward twice then taking a short rest. I would say let them pick up to level 3 spells, the ranger and paladin don't get level 4 spells until 14.

Also this is just an interesting idea cause there isn't that much of this. What if your Unarmed Attack Healing word didn't grow stronger but instead you could heal 2,3 and 4, targets. Mass Healing Word is like 6 targets so it's not as strong.
>>
File: 1465119682929.jpg (551 KB, 1200x785) Image search: [Google]
1465119682929.jpg
551 KB, 1200x785
I've got a new game coming up in a couple of weeks and decided I want to play something similar to the good hoonter.
Any advice on fitting into it/ any homebrews since our GM is pretty much welcoming anything?
>>
Hello. I have never played D&D before. I have played other pen and paper tabletops though.
So, I've been reading rules and guidelines for D&D 5e and I want to try the game out on roll20.
What should I look for to have a great first experience?
>>
>>47644869
Play a wizard.
>>
this has been bugging the shit out me for a while now.

When fighting skeletons, whats stopping any character with any or of strength from just
literally picking them up and throwing them all over the place.

They should only weigh like 50lbs with armor, slightly more with a weapon implying they didnt drop it after being picked up.
>>
>>47644869
A good DM, a group you find pleasant, and a decent adventure. If you've been in a group already, try to see if they are wanting to play. Try out the Starter Adventure (it's only $20, but it's really good!), and go from there.
>>
>>47644909
They are imbued with dark energy. Dark energy is heavy.

Alternatively, they aren't gonna let you just grab them and there will be some kind of contest to determine it.

Alternative alternative, when you go to grab the skeleton, the brittle bone breaks and you lose your grasp, but it does lose 1 hp.
>>
>>47644909
lack of creativity
>>
>>47644937
i agree on the contest/ grapple rules thing but the other reasons feel like copouts.
>>47644946
id be trying to pick them up and throw them of high shit all day. falling damage is bludgeoning damage.
>>
>>47644909
Nothing is stopping that. I mean, the skeleton itself will try to stop it, but if you can successfully grapple it then you should be able to throw it. I'd want a strength check to determine the distance, with the DC set by how large the skeleton is and what it's armoured with, degrees of success or failure determining how far you chuck it.

This doesn't happen because players are too used to videogames where the only interaction you can have with an enemy is via its hitbox.
>>
>>47644946
Also this.

But to be honest, when something is swinging a sword at you, even if it looks light, your instinct will probably be to swing back at it. It's whatevs desu senpai.

If I were DMing, I'd allow it but have some other rolls come into play. I wouldn't just let you pick up all the enemies and toss them without any resistance. Because that's boring.
>>
>>47644831

To be fair, the only other 'caster' monk has ki rates for different spells without any guidelines

I see your point about spell advancement, but I'm not sure level 3 spells are good enough for a level 11 feature, the only "good" domains in that respect are Life (Revivify) and War (Spirit Guardians)
>>
File: UA Gothic Heroes.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA Gothic Heroes.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47644841
there was a monster hunter subclass for the fighter in UA, you can find it here. you should probably play a DEX fighter so you can wear snazzy clothes instead of armour. if you wanted to play a STR-build hunter, you could play a barbarian and refluff rage as blood pellets, which also allows you to get away without using armour. alternatively, if you want to mix in some magic, you can play an eldritch knight, or even a pact of the blade warlock for a pure arcane build (GOO pact is ideal, in terms of flavour).
>>
>>47644995
>other rolls

Grapple check. Shove, with a Strength test to throw instead for more distance.
>>
>>47645012
Sure, why not. Just depends on what the PC wants to do.
>>
>>47645002
oh, and you could refluff crossbows as guns, or ask the DM for some of the low-end firearms in the DMG.

the main feature of the hunter, the trick weapons, is something you would have to work out with your DM. it's basically just a magic weapon with two statblocks, and the ability to switch between them freely.
>>
>>47644841

Try Matt Mercers Gunslinger on the DMG
>>
>>47644650

Every single bit of that is pretty stupid for a monk given that they focus on beating the shit out of things with their power or getting to things to beat the shit out of them.

It would be far better (and faster) for them to just take three levels as a cleric and get most of that stuff right off.

IF you were going for a holy type monk, you should look at combining some paladin features instead.

3rd level, you may spend 1 ki point to infuse your fists with holy light causing them to deal an extra 1d4 holy damage per strike. Spend an extra ki point per strike for multiple hit attacks. This will increase in damage to 2d4 at 6th level, 3d4 at 11th level, and 4d4 at 17th level.

6th level, you can focus your ki inward and let out a mighty battle cry to inspire courage in your comrades. For 5 ki points you and all allies within 20 feet of you are immune to fear effects for 1 minutes. This increases to 40 feet at level 17.

11th level, your time in dealing with the denizens of the profane has increased your knowledge of their weakpoints and better allows you to destroy blasphemous opponents. When you land a killing blow on an undead or demonic foe, you may spend 5 ki points to tear off a part of the enemies anatomy (horn of a demon, bone from a skeleton, a zombies head, etc) and, as a bonus action, hurl it at another opponent within 30 feet for 1d10+dex modifer worth of damage. If the creature is capable of experiencing fear, it must make a saving throw against your DC or be afraid of you for 1 minute.

17th level, You are a true champion of justice and exude an aura of righteous around you. As a reaction, when you are targeted by an evil aligned creature you may spend 5 ki points to give it disadvantage on its attacks for that round. Additionally, when you declare a melee attack on evil aligned creature, you may spend 5 ki points to give all of your attacks for that round advantage on the targeted creature for that round.
>>
Hey, I've got a Dark Sun-related question-
Say the players are in a Spelljammer ship and get to the Dark Sun world, and one of them is a cleric that knows Create Water who decides to draw on his god's power to use Create Water to quench some locals' thirsts. Would this have a negative impact on the magic environment? I read Dark Sun's magic is all nature-based, but I haven't gotten into actually reading the material as of yet, so I don't know.
>>
File: 1465120178317.jpg (162 KB, 1200x671) Image search: [Google]
1465120178317.jpg
162 KB, 1200x671
>>47645002
Man the monster hunter feels kind of.... Underwhelming.

But thanks for the advice anon, I'll take a closer look at these suggestions.
Trick weapons are definitely something I'm gonna beg for.
>>
>>47645046

Doesn't even need to really be a magic weapon fluff wise.

Just treat it like you are switching from a long sword to a two handed hammer (kirk's hammer), a long sword to a whip (cane whip), and so and so forth.

Thematically, you are using a trick weapon, mechanically, you are just switching out weapons.
>>
File: 1000x1000.jpg (44 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1000x1000.jpg
44 KB, 700x700
I'm currently designing a campaign, where my players will play bodyguards for a band of bards. The band will basically be an evil medieval version of Electric wizard.

Here's my question, each concert will be a sort of rituaI and I need the band to play really heavy and loud. Any ideas how to achieve that ?
>>
>>47645108
Basically, arcane magic in dark sun draws upon the lifeforce if the surrounding land, blighting it.

Divine magic doesn't exist, because there are no gods.
>>
>>47645224
What's the deal with the elemental clerics I've read about in some Dark Sun stuff? Is that not divine?
>>
>>47645214
Constant Thaumatergy Cantrip. Can make your voice loud and make things like a crowd cheering sensory effects and can open/close doors. Just have their instruments enchanted with constant Thaumatergy.
>>
File: Giant Toad - Holloway.gif (23 KB, 300x251) Image search: [Google]
Giant Toad - Holloway.gif
23 KB, 300x251
What happens when you Wild Shape into a giant toad, use Bite, then Swallow on a target, and then the enemy brings down your Giant Toad HP to zero from inside?
>>
>>47645224
>Divine magic doesn't exist, because there are no gods.

clerics and druids still exist, but clerics get their powers from elementals and druids get it from nature

>>47645108
by default, it's probably the case that the cleric would have to make a pact with the elements before he can start using spells. the 2e supplement "earth, air, fire and water" goes into more detail about this. but you're the boss, so it's really up to you.
>>
>>47645331
what happens if you wildshape into a giant toad, swallow another druid, and that druid wildshapes into a giant toad?
>>
>>47645365
Xzibit rerolls his character
>>
>>47645365
What happens if you wild shape into a housecat, let yourself be eaten by an ogre, the cat form drops to zero hp, and then you wild shape again into a bear?
>>
>>47645486
indigestion
>>
>>47645224
>>47645279
>>47645350
Is this like in Dragonlance or Ravenloft where if you worship a god in another sphere, then go to one of those places, then your prayers can't reach that god?
>>
So I think I lost a friend over DnD last night. I held my first session over at a friend's house and it went decently enough except for him. He had to constantly be the center of attention with his lolsorandumb behavior. He would described the majority of his actions as either throwing up because he drank too much or shouting racial slurs.
The final straw was when I gave the party a quest and everyone accepted but he decided he'd rather rob the quest giver despite listing his alignment as chaotic good. He rolled a 19 for intimidate and the quest giver called for guards and he started yelling that the quest giver should've just handed over all his money because he got a high roll.
As the guards kicked his ass because this all happened at level 1 he tried to convince the rest of the party and jump in and help him kill the guards despite everyone else being either lawful good or neutral good.
Eventually one of the other party members convinced the guards to let him go with a high enough persuasion roll but he had to get in a strength contest to restrain him because he said he wanted to headbutt the last guard before they left.
He said he would take it more seriously next time but I told him after all that shit there wouldn't be a next time and we'd continue the campaign without him at someone else's house. I tried to explain that I'd given him enough warnings and that his behavior was unacceptable but before I could get out anything he just yelled out "I don't want to fucking here it" and told me to get out of his house.
I've been friends with the guy since middle school but I don't even feel bad, if he wants to cut off the friendship over this he's a shithead anyway.
>>
File: 1392999173783.png (189 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1392999173783.png
189 KB, 480x360
>>47645486
What happens if you get eaten by an Ogre and you have a vore fetish
>>
>>47645768
Technically Darksun is only tenuously tied to the multiverse. About every attempt to link it up has been kinda shit with Dregoth Ascendant being the steamiest pile.
>>
>>47644212
>Sell ten thousand copper coins to a copper dragon to augment its hoard nicely
>Recieve more than its worth normally because the copper is worth more to it
>>
>>47645835
You'll be fine with the dude in a month or less. Just don't play D&D together.

Keep the dramatic acting to in-character stuff.
>>
>>47644109
Looking for a good way to boost bladelocks.

A few i considerred are :
1 extra Hp per warlock level.
When casting a spell that uses your bonus action you can make one free melee weapon attack with your pact weapon.
Armour of shadows gives extra 2 AC.
>>
File: 1462938711421.gif (499 KB, 222x366) Image search: [Google]
1462938711421.gif
499 KB, 222x366
Well, planning on running a group of my friends through the Starter Adventure (then transitioning it over into a larger scale campaign that I'm working on now). The twist is that I'm not using Faerun but rather the Nentir Vale from 4E. Idea is is that instead of the characters coming from Neverwinter and traveling to Phandalin, they are from Hammerfast and are heading to Winterhaven. Some of the locations will be rearranged and such, but otherwise it's the same game.

Thoughts on using the Nentir Vale in general and what would you do to change things up as well?
>>
>>47646130
Ability to choose to deal damage with your weapons as a type appropriate to your patron
IE fire for fiend, radiant for undying light, psychic for great old one, and uh...i dunno, either lightning or a D10 to randomly select an energy type each attack for fey.
>>
File: Dark Arts.jpg (58 KB, 500x838) Image search: [Google]
Dark Arts.jpg
58 KB, 500x838
>>47645002
Anyone played the inquisitive Rogue? How is it?
>>
>>47644841
Either a Fighter with the Champion archetype or a Ranger for a Hoonter who's knowledgable about his prey rather then just knowledgable about how to kill them.
There's pretty much nothing special about Hunters physically; they just have goofy oversized weapons with multiple functions, healing potions, and spells that are entirely derived from magic item usage.

The Haunted One Backround would be good for pretty much any of the Hunters considering all the shit they've seen.
>>
>>47645929
Even in spelljammer entering the Athasphere is really freaking dangerous and shit stops working fast
Clerics and warlocks would be especially flippityfucked
>cleric can't cast spells
>warlocks don't get features on levelling up
Scary shit
>>
Going through old FR books I end up seeing:

>Vest of Shadows
>This is a vest, half-cloak, or halter-top of translucent black silk; it appears ragged and pierced by many small tears and holes. When put on looks like the rippling rags of a badly damaged garment. At all times, its presence enables the wearer to roll saving throws vs. all undead draining attacks (including a shadows Strength drain and a lichs chilling touch) as well as psionic and magical equivalents, even if no saving throw is usually allowed. The saving throw is vs. spell (with a -1 penalty), to avoid all effects.
>A vest of shadows suffers no damage from normal weapon attacks, but it also confers no protection against them. It gives a +3 bonus to all wearer saving throws vs. magical weapon and spell attacks (and lessens by 1 point each die of damage done to the wearer by them). Any wearer of a vest of shadows who is not a thief is allowed a 15% chance to hide in shadows, under the same conditions that a thief can attempt this skill.
>A thief wearing a vest of shadows gains a bonus of +15% to hide in shadow attempts.
>A vest of shadows suffers damage only from magical attacks, making item saving throws as rock crystal. If a saving throw fails, the vest suffers full hit point damage from the spell; if the saving throw succeeds, it receives only 1 point of damage. These sorts of vests have an Armor Class of 4 and can withstand 8d12 points of damage before disintegrating forever.

Not only is that a neat item, but the description for it as well. That and a whole lot of AD&D FR items seem to be made of translucent material.
Do AD&D adventurers just wear see through clothes all the time?

Why did that change?
>>
>>47646130
Bladelock is fine
>>
>>47645131
>Man the monster hunter feels kind of.... Underwhelming.

I don't know if you noticed, but there is basically NOTHING special about the individuals who are Hunters beyond their choice of a profession that seems to be basically an elaborate form of suicide.
None of the things they physically shown to do (other then lift most trick weapons, but I just assume they weigh much less then they should) particularly impossible or even difficult to perform, and they even die relatively easily when hit.
Their methods of attacking a fairly realistic-looking (if slightly exaggerated) weapon swings and thrusts that are only improbable due to the size of the weapons themselves rather then anything physical about the attack.

Part of the appeal of the game is that you are this normal-ass guy with no real training carving his way through the Night of the Hunt using nothing your cunning and your ability to use clever tactics and judge threats.
>>
>>47646291
To be fair, 2E had a tendency to penalize everything equally, magic items from another plane died a slow death in PS and SJ, permanent level loss was still a thing, and cleric losing casting access was a surprisingly common setting basis.

Personally I would definitely not do it that way in 5e but just force clerics to switch specs; personally I feel like a warlock above level 5 (when the full pact boon unlocks) is probably autonomous enough to function as a sorcerer.
>>
>>47646362
>>47646130

It actually feels pretty damn solid with 2 Level in Paladin for the sweet smites and using polearm mastery to maximize Hex dmg
>>
>>47646130
The only boost bladelock really needs if it needs one at all is reducing its boon invocations to only one (with the +cha damage unlocked at level 11 for free if you really have to), and the scag cantrips to either proc off extra attacks, or just not exist anymore.
>>
>>47646313
>Do AD&D adventurers just wear see through clothes all the time?

No, but Ed Greenwood is a professed nudist.
>>
>>47646468
That explains a lot.
>>
>>47646493
Yuuuuup.
>>
Since someone already posted their homebrew monk then i'll post mine (pls. rate).

Order of the arcane fist

LvL 3 feature - you learned to cast arcane spells researched by your order and can incorporate them with your martial arts.
Wis is your casting stat etc.
Spell slot/level/known table same as AT/EK with no school limitations.
You can learn spells from the sorcerrer, warlock and bard lists.
When you use your action to cast a spell you can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action.
You gain ritual casting.
Spells are always known/preppared.

LvL 6 - as your mastery of magics grows you are able to channel your ki to support your spells. You can use your bonus action to convert spell slots to ki and ki into spell slots (same cost as sorc).

At lvl 11 your movement for the turn increases by 5 ft per spell level when you cast a spell.

At lvl 17 you have advantage on all saving throws to maintain concentration of a spell you cast.
>>
>>47646468
A lot of the TSR 2e old guard was weirdly into hippie shit like that, not just Greenwood.
>>
>>47646604
> 1/3rd caster
> 3 spell lists
> Ritual casting
Geddafuckout.
>>
>>47646402
I suppose this is correct.
What's special about them is more in their tools and things, but I just imagined Monster Hunters to be a little more technical.
I am warming to it after more thought however, how would I go about making a decent Dex fighter to get my fashionborne on?
>>
>>47646604
My criticism:
>Mixing resource types is messy
>Too many spell lists, pick 1
>EK level 18 feature at level 3 (!!!)
>And ritual caster
>And spells always prepared

So the entire level 3 feature is a massive ball of OP shit

>Sorcery points that are regained ON A SHORT REST

Another ball of OP shit

>lv 11 not too terrible

>lv 17 you can literally never lose concentration

Okay, it's pretty awful
>>
>>47646746
So then only sorcerrer but keep ritual casting as it fits with monks.
(i only wonder why monks aren't just a fighter or wizard archetype like EK/Bladesinger).
>>
>>47646167
Bump, interested to hear people's responses.
>>
>>47646868
I mean, it depends what exactly you're planning on doing. Are you still predominantly using 4e lore, because that might annoy players (the only non-retarded thing that came out of 3e-4e FR lore, imo, is the red wizards becoming a multinational trade network)?
>>
>>47646807
So spreading it arround would be better?

Bonus action attack at lvl 6 (they need this shit).

Sorcery point immitation at lvl 3 but higher cost.

Ritual casting as part of lvl 11.

Only Warlock or Sorc list (can't pick really).

Lvl 17 feature changed to add prof bknus to AC during the turn when casting a spell.
>>
File: wildhammer.jpg (64 KB, 669x758) Image search: [Google]
wildhammer.jpg
64 KB, 669x758
I'm a little new to 5e but if I wanted to make pic related, how would I go about doing that? Tempest Cleric, maybe an eldritch knight?

I want to hit things with a big hammer, shoot lightning, and maybe eventually ride a gryphon if my dm's cool with it. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>47646913
Go Paladin/Lightning dragon sorcerer.
>>
>>47646913
Take Animal Handling, the MM has notes on Griffons as mounts.
>>
>>47646419
I'm actually about to play this in a game. Playing as a revenant undying oath bladelock/ oath of vengeance paladin.

Basically going to be Spawn and I'm hyped.
>>
>>47646821
If only that was the only problem but it's just terrible overal
Here is a fix:

Lv3:
Gain 2 cantrips from the wizard list, cost of 1 ki to cast, learn 1 more cantrip at lv10

Gain spell progression as EK, no slots but casting a spell consumes 2×spell level ki

Ritual caster

Lv6: can use flurry after casting a cantrip

Lv11: speed increases by spell level × 5 after casting a spell until the start of your next turn

Lv17: can use flurry after casting a spell
>>
>>47644397
...the spell-less Ranger has been up to lv20 from the start, Anon.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/feats

New UA is out.
>>
>>47646973
You should be it´s really amazingly fun to play and RP. Doesnt feel as gimmicky as Sorclock.

Went for some flavor spells early on, compelled Duel and Command where my favorite ones to use.
>>
>>47647079
>Feats
Blurgh
>>
>>47646901
I'm using a lot of the Points of Light lore, none of the FR stuff.
>>
>>47647079
>Gourmand

I love it!
>>
>>47647079
I like it, especially the tool mastery feats!
>>
>>47647079
>Feats

Holy shit finally! Options for characters above 3rd level!
>>
>>47647079
More variety of fluff feats that also have a +1 to stats to clear odd numbers can be pretty nice.
>>
>>47647079
Nice. Not great but definitely good. 6/10
>>
>>47647079
Not bad! Sorta wish they had racial feats to further define one's race choice, but these are good all-around.
>>
>>47647079
Tool feats are great. Don't like the +1s on the weapon feats for bounded accuracy purposes.
>>
>>47647252
Not to mention
>finally an use for all those tool proficiencies
>more incentive to take weapons that are kinda shitty

I mean who even uses spears or flails?
>>
>>47647079
>Gourmand

Don't you heal everything on a long rest?
Shouldn't that be short rest?
>>
>>47647317
The flail needed something to give it a reason to exist as a separate weapon entry, and that feat sorta does it. The spear thing is half-baked.
>>
>>47647340
Long rest gives you back half your max hit die back (minimum 1).
>>
>>47647292
>Racial feats

I've never been a fan of further differentiating races, as far as I'm concerned they should be cosmetic choices with very minor gameplay effect after your first few levels
>>
>>47647340
You only regain half your total hit dice on a short rest. It's actually a decent feat when longevity matters.
>>
>>47647340
2 additional hit die, that means if you, for example, have 3 d10 Hit Die as a level 3 fighter after a long rest, you now have 5 d10. Whether those bonus hit die stay after a long rest or not is a little more unclear.
>>
>>47647373
You can't regain 2 hit dice you don't have. "Regain" wording prevents the scenario.
>>
>>47647355
>>47647362
Oh my bad, for some reason I thought it meant spending hit dice not getting back the spent ones.
I durped.
>>
>>47647346
>The spear thing is half-baked

Agree, but only to a point (no pun intended)
The feat is ok, and certainly goes some ways to making spears more desirable, but it should be handled a bit more delicately

Overall I'm not a fan of the "+1 to hit" part of any of these feats, the existing mastery feats don't have any of that
>>
>>47647386
Ah right. It should really say "regains up to 2 additional dice" to make it a little more clear.
>>
>>47647401
You're right, but I look at how many classes that use a weapon could just use a glaive or halberd and pick a different feat. It really just seems like a half-formed monk feat.
>>
>previous fluff book had class options
>new fluff book has race options

so the next fluff book will have equipment options?
>>
>>47647356
That's just it, you're in a game with different races, those differences should be able to be expanded on as you gain levels (and not just those "at 3rd and 5th level, now they get to cast a new spell" stuff). It was one of the few things 4E really got right in my book.
>>
>>47647576
Gimme more Monsters, then we can talk about equipment.
>Volo
Maybe, depending on what it has, but I want a second Monster Manual rather than things that may or may not adapt from Forgotten Realms on a case-by-case basis.
>>
Man those new feats make me want to "accidentally" get my character killed to make a cook using a flail or spear.

Now if only we had a "find workshop" spell for summoning a pocket dimension of a forge/kitchen or stuff like that.
>>
>>47647609
So you're saying a dwarf should be able to become dwarfier? Or a dragonborn Dragonier?

I wouldn't be opposed to this, it's an interesting concept, but I don't think it will happen, what with the game's new theme of inclusivity

I would expect maybe one feat per race at most, one that augments one of the race's distinct skills (remove poison/disease for dwarf, stronger breath weapon for dragonborn?)
>>
Help me out if I'm messing up any rules interactions with this.

Rogue X/Fighter 2 - On my turn, I use cunning action to successfully hide from a creature and attack with my longbow with advantage to make it a sneak attack. I then action surge and ready an action with the trigger, "When an ally gets within 5 ft. of an enemy, I will attack it." Since the readied action happens on a different turn, I got an extra sneak attack from my action surge.

Am I missing any rules interactions that make this illegal?
>>
>>47644260

There are some homebrew Elder Brain stats from dandwiki.

As always with dandwiki homebrews, use at your own risk.
>>
>>47647576
The next one is Volo's Guide to Monsters
So as >>47647661 said, it'll be MM2, though focused in Faerunian creatures and races.

Given that they're mentioning Firbolgs, I wonder if they're also going to update Ogres since in Faerun Ogres have 9 int (on average).
>>
Nearly had 4 level 4 players die against a pair of chuuls. Party composition was battlemaster, paladin, tomelock, and sorcerer.

Could they have won if they played better?
>>
>>47647774
Yes but that's a deadly+ encounter to a level 4 party. That's a hard encounter for 4 level 5 characters.

If the warlock and sorcerer had any kind of control spells instead of just spamming damage, it would have been a doable fight though.
>>
>>47647700
It's fine, nothing really wrong with it, but if you're going fighter 2 you might as well get to 6 and get a bunch of awesome stuff like manouvers and a bonus feat/asi
>>
>>47647819
Not asking for build advice, just if that's a completely legal maneuver. Figured the fighter levels past 2 don't really matter for the rule question.
>>
>>47647079
Spear master is awesome, but stinks it doesn't apply to pikes.

Pikes get no love.
>>
>>47647815
I wanted it to be tough for the sheer amount of loot I had hidden behind that encounter. Made their presence known well before they even got to the room and gave the players every opportunity to sneak or set some kind of trap/ambush. Then these retards think it's a good idea to start screaming outside the room and go in one at a time.

Just wanted to double check if it was possible provided they weren't fucking retarded.
>>
>>47647875
Well, it is UA, which is explicitly an unfinished product. Tell WotC via feedback that if/when the feat is published, it should include pikes.
>>
>>47647901
Yeah, it's possible. I set up encounters like that myself but I make absolutely clear that I expect groups to have at least one controller-type character so I can comfortably run those kind of encounters without expecting lots of dead characters.
>>
>>47647843
Well yeah, it all checks out, just offering some friendly advice is all
>>
>>47647079
>Warhammer mastery
Meh
>Fell handed
OP, specially if you're a barb abusing reckless attack
>Blade mastery
Ok I guess
>Flail mastery
Meh
>Spear mastery
Cool
>>
>>47648008
>Warhammer mastery
>Meh

It's explicitly supposed to be kinda crappy.
>>
>>47648008
I wouldn't call something that gives you a chance to knock a guy prone in exchange for giving advantage to everyone that attacks you for a whole round OP

Good? Yes, but not OP
>>
For the curious, as of the UA, the weapons that don't have any feats directly mentioning them or specifically benefiting them:

Simple, melee
>Club, dagger, greatclub, javelin, light hammer, mace, sickle
Simple, ranged
>Dart, shortbow, sling
Martial, melee
>Lance, morningstar, trident, war pick, whip
Martial, ranged
>Blowgun, longbow, net

Off the top of my head for ideas for new weapon feats:

- Bow Mastery: Indirect fire or ricochet mode
- Covert: damage or something when attacking with a club, dagger or sickle
- Lariatier: Trip mastery with whips, as well as being able to grab/grapple stuff at range
- Kneecapper: Debilitating strikes with a club, greatclub, light hammer, mace, and morningstar
- Thrower: Neat stuff with daggers and darts, maybe slings and blowguns as well.
- Skewer: Cause bleed damage with javelin, lance, trident, probably spear and pike
>>
>>47647997
It's a piece of advice I'm giving to a player to better utilize his character. The game will run to 20 and he wants the level 17 thief ability. He already has level 3 of fighter to use precision attack to make sure he doesn't miss.
>>
File: face 1464711318252.jpg (8 KB, 250x244) Image search: [Google]
face 1464711318252.jpg
8 KB, 250x244
>>47644288
>herbalist kit tool proficiency
>fuck you
>>
>>47648008
>Spear master on Monk1/BattlemasterX
Use bonus action to extend reach by 5 ft and use lunge maneouver for another extra 5 ft.

Aw yeah.
>>
>>47648119
It was implied

>>47648203
Pic related
>>
>turns out Vax went and subclassed fucking paladin
Well, I guessed cleric last week, but this is somehow even cooler
>>
>>47648490
Spoilers man...
>>
File: face 1458582024681.gif (1024 KB, 218x228) Image search: [Google]
face 1458582024681.gif
1024 KB, 218x228
>>47648315
Oh well, you can at least get some use out of woodworking or blacksmithing tool proficiencies, by logical reasoning, and trapmaking even has rule support. But herbalism is lit-e-rally useless.
To make a potion you'll have to spend weeks of time brewing that shit AND spend as much gold you would walking to the fucking store and buying it...
>mfw picking the hermit background
>>
>>47648596
Isn't a potion 50 gold at a store?
Brewing it costs 25 gold
>>
>>47647079
Did they forget the rest of the burglar feat?
>>
>>47647735
WotC said that the new Volo book will contain Goblins, Firbolgs, and Orcs as race options for players.
>>
>>47648677
Read the end of the UA. They consider thieves' tools strong enough as they are, especially with expertise thrown on.

They're not even wrong (traps and locks can be pretty much everywhere depending on the campaign) but not having any extra stuff at all on the feat is pretty lame.
>>
Alchemy bombs; Can you use them with the use an object action as a thief, or are they used with the attack action?
>>
>>47648819
They are used as an action. They are objects.
>>
>>47648866
>They are objects.
A sword is also an object
>>
File: UA-Feats-V1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA-Feats-V1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/feats
>>
File: face 1462731200240.gif (799 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
face 1462731200240.gif
799 KB, 200x189
>>47648670
>Potion brewing is covered under crafting magic items in the DMG. Under these rules, the potion's rarity determines the potency, but also the amount of time and money it requires to brew. Under these rules, a common healing potion (which normally can be bought for 50 gp), requires 4 days and 100 gp to craft (and cannot be crafted until 3rd level and even then only by a character with spell slots).
lol
>>
File: elder brain_final.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
elder brain_final.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47644260
This one is a bit way too powerful, but it's something you can work with.
>>
I'm playing an OP Goliath Barbarian and my DM lets me do stupid shit I ask for, I already have a fullblade, what else /tg/?
>>
>>47649009
A potion is a consumable item with a gold cost of 50gp, so crafting one costs 25gp and a day, as per the PHB rules man
>>
So, about two editions of the thread ago, there was a homebrew poster with a Rogue Modron PC race. Did anybody save that? I wanted to take a look, but my network has been so abysmal that I couldn't get to it. Weirdly, it's fixed itself up now, so I want to take advantage of that.

Come to that matter, why does the Homebrew pastebin in the OP only contain material *for* homebrewing and none of the 5e homebrewed material to come out of these threads? Anyone else think it either needs a clearer title or it needs to start saving all the good homebrew stuff?
>>
>>47649244
Look up walrock homebrew

Walrock, it's not a typo
>>
>>47648203
Why monk?
>>
Is there a minimum AC people should be aiming for? I worry about the players that show up to AL games with 13 dex wizards.
>>
>>47649038
What makes it so powerful?
>>
>>47649312
Spear's a Monk Weapon, so you get Martial Arts bennies.
>>
>>47648924
A sword doesn't have rules in the book that says "Sword: As an action you can stab an enemy with this, etc." It needs both.
>>
>>47649520
13 dex is fine as long as they are using mage armor
>>
Favourite Archduke of Hell?
>>
>>47649711
If you're only going to get 1 level in monk better go full fighter.
>>
>>47649310
Ah, thanks.

Speaking of homebrew... does anyone think that one or more "Elementalism" Arcane Traditions for the 5e Wizard would work?

We got an Elementalist specialist (divided into Earth/Air/Water/Fire) back in AD&D's Tome of Magic.

Pathfinder, meanwhile, has Archetypes for both the Greco-Roman/Classic Elements and the Wu Xing (Metal and Wood) Elements.

So, is there any real reason why 5e couldn't support the same sort of option?
>>
>>47649737
So I can't stab people with Swords? Guess I'll get a Dagger :^)
>>
>>47648758
How about
>You can utilize improvised tools as Thieves' Tools (such as using a hairpin as a lockpick) but you do not double your proficiency bonus with them.
Though it does imply that anyone using improvised tools wouldn't be able to add their proficiency bonus to the check (or not at all if it's a really dickish DM).
>>
>>47649830
Metal: Warforged Druid who only casts heat metal.
>>
Is there any way besides feat/Pact of the Tome for a Warlock to get Guidance? Started making a character a while ago but can't remember why I put Guidance there. Undying Light Warlock.
>>
>>47650337
Magic initiate?
>>
>>47650388
That's the only conclusion I can think of, but I don't remember deciding on it, as I had already chosen to take Alert.
>>
Spear and Shield is real now.

Now, how do we minmax it?
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Agony of da feat edition.
>>
>>47650443
Take Polearm Master: you can now attack with the butt of the spear too
>>
>>47650559
polearm master doesn't apply to spears
>>
>+1 on attack rolls

am I being memed? nothing about more than one bonus attack when two handing? nothing for whips or nets? nothing for thrown weapons? nothing to do with weapon damage types or heavy finesse weapons? nothing resembling the dozens of monster mechanics that could easily be used by players if there were simply a written rule?

>proficiency with thieves tools
>that's the feat

HOLY SHIT
>>
>>47649830
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/173753/Elemental-Magic-of-Zakhara-AlQadim--Forgotten-Realms
>>
>>47650642
Well
1-it's unearthed arcana, the actual book with the actual feats is not out yet, and they repeat that many times in the article

2-proficiency/expertise, +1 dex and I'm pretty sure there was something else
>>
>>47650727
So what if rogue takes it? How would "double expertise" work?
>>
>>47650727

I hope they get reworked to be more like polearm. Fel handed is good but really complicated. Hammer mastery is solid. I swear +1 will become a more prevalent meme than 4 sets of full plate
>>
>>47650736
If a rogue takes it and already had proficiency then he gets expertise and +1 dex

If a rogue takes it and already had expertise then he's dumb
>>
>>47650774
Hammer mastery is bad for the reasons they cited

If they go with fel handed and clean it up a bit it's great (the +1 has to go)
>>
>>47650736
>expertise adds doubles your proficiency modifier to something
>feat does the same
since they activate off of the same proficiency mod, instead of doubling each other, it's 3X your proficiency mod with thieves tools.
>>
>>47649812
Didn't say it was optimal. Just answered an asked question.
>>
>>47650796
I don't see why people are losing their shit over the +1 attack. Archery style gives +2, and thats not destroying balance. It doesn't have any impact whatsoever in the tiers people usually play at anyway, since its replacing a +2 strength increase it usually won't be relevant until 12th level.
>>
I won't lie, the Wood Elementalist and Metal Elementalist are the ones I most want to do, but which I'm having the hardest time figuring out how to make worthwhile.

In Pathfinder, Metal Elementalists get some Druidic/Clerical spells with a "metal" theme, the Metal Rending ability (extra damage against creatures made of metal or wearing medium/heavy metal armor), the Iron Skin ability (boost AC for 10 minutes several times per day) and Shrapnel Burst (blast everyone around you with jagged metal shards).

Wood Elementalists, meanwhile, get a bunch of Druidic Spells, bonuses to Dex/Con/Wis, the ability to share saving throw bonuses with allies, and the ability to create and throw a shortspear that inflicts bleeding.

So, yeah, not the most stellar abilities. I could really use help here, because I'm sure that they could work just fine in 5e. Hell, WoTC will probably be covering similar ground if they ever get the Wu Jen class into the game, but why wait when I have this thread to try and homebrew in?

>>47650701
Thanks, that's good for the classical elements, but I'd really like to see about making the Wu Xing style possible by adding Metal and Wood Elementalism. I want to get some grasp of how a 5e Wu Jen might look.
>>
>>47649038
Oh wow that's lovely, can't believe I didn't look at it

This will do wonderfully for my current game
>>
>>47651280
It's not a tier thing, I personally just dislike all the additions that used to go into previous editions, but if the +1 stayed it wouldn't really bother me too much
>>
File: 5BDRqu8.png (569 KB, 565x668) Image search: [Google]
5BDRqu8.png
569 KB, 565x668
anyone played an eldritch knight for any solid amount of time?

wanna give me some tips for how to build or play an eknight?

i'm planning on really only using abjurations for tanking and stuff, leaving my int at 14.

Do i really want to use cantrips like booming blade or something? at level 5 they become really good but at level 5 I get extra attack and you can't do a cantrip and still use that extra attack, so i'm a bit confused as to how best handle that.

i was also thinking about multi-classing into abjuration wizard for a bit. more spell slots is never bad + temp HP from casting abjurations which i'll use all the time + arcane recovery to make up for my lack of spell slots + ritual casting + more cantrips + more spells known all seem pretty great m8
>>
I got a question for you guys. Concerning the Goblin from the Zendikar PS. Goblins have a base AC of 11, if they were to be a dragonic bloodline sorcerer would the AC still be 13 + Dex or would it increase to 14 + Dex?
>>
>>47644109
made a... uh... vocaroo for you guys

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0eZL6GwwW0i
>>
>>47651502
I like blade ward as a cantrip as you can cast it and still make one attack as bonus action. Giving you a great defensive edge while still attacking. Booming blade is great, especially with a reach weapon. Remember that unless you Dm says you can exempt the rule. Sword and shield means no somatic magic, but two handled weapons are fine.
>>
>>47651757
>you can cast it and still make one attack as bonus action

yea, at level 7. realistically that's like months of play

also booming blade has a range of 5ft
>>
>rogue 2/fighter 1
>archer
>hit things on a 2 pretty regularly

This is kind of nice
>>
>>47651757
>Remember that unless you Dm says you can exempt the rule.

Put a bullet in your malformed brain.
>>
>>47651904
>Rolling for stats
>thinking your play experience matters
Kek, next your going to tell us how good str monks are.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (134 KB, 941x660) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
134 KB, 941x660
Are there other versions of the favored soul out there?
>>
>>47652157
No, we did point buy.
>>
>>47646604
OP as fuck

>>47646993
Pretty balanced sounded and not nerfed to shit, good job.
>>
>>47651599
Sources of AC do not stack unless it specifically says they do.

I don't own PS:Z, but unless the racial feature says it grants +1 to AC, a goblin draconic sorcerer would have an AC of 13+Dex.

Alternately, ask your DM.
>>
File: psz goblin.png (2 MB, 1440x1683) Image search: [Google]
psz goblin.png
2 MB, 1440x1683
>>47652366
>>
>>47647079

I hate these feats.
>>
>>47652462
Thanks.

If you have more than one source of AC, you choose which to use. You may use the 11+Dex, or the 13+Dex. See the Armor Class rules on PHB page 14 for more.
>>
File: 1460163228405.jpg (103 KB, 700x546) Image search: [Google]
1460163228405.jpg
103 KB, 700x546
These new feats fucking suck.
>>
>>47652595

I was kind of hopeful when I saw the title, as I've wanted new feats for a while, but these are absolutely awful. Seriously, what the fuck?
>>
>>47651929
Posting on a phone on a bus senpai, but thanks for noticing me.

"Remember that unless your DM says you can be exempt from the rule, sword and shield means no somatic spells may be cast, however a two handed weapon is fine for this."

>>47651813
And damn, didn't notice that about Booming Blade, I guess you could take the spell sniper feat?
As for the "Months of play" comment no time frame was given I was just saying what is a good perk of being EK and Bladeward while still keeping on the offense is a great one, but I agree level 3-6 you won't get much mileage out of it.

For Multiclassing, I would highly suggest doing so, you don't great much great perks from EK late-game other than the standard fighter ones. I'd go level 7 EK, for the Cantrip+Attack, Bonus ASI, Extra Attack, Action Surge and obviously proficiencies. Pump the rest into Wizard and by level 20 you'll have all but the Final school ability with level 8 Spells. Alternatively, 9EK/11Wiz for Indomitable but only up to level 7 spells. OR if you're more interested in the Spellcaster in fullplate aspect, 6EK/14Wizard nets you full progression down your Wizard school, plenty of fighter toys and level 8 spells but lacks all of the unique EK abilities. I'm no expert on the stuff just what I might suggest off the top of my head.
>>
>>47652509
>>47652595
>>47652630
I agree, these aren't my taste in feats, but I think the main points of this were to show the thought process/limits on making new feats and to scratch the itch of the people who complain about not being able to specialize enough.
>>
>>47652353
Thanks, balancing homebrew is one of the few things I'm actually okay at, which is probably why I make so much of it
>>
>>47652595
I disagree. While they definitely could of made some better feats, some of them were pretty cool. I like the concept of feats that give tools better purposes than flavor and the blade feat was pretty cool too, it would be excellent for a S&B.
>>
>>47644619
raw you would be oathbreaker then gain the new oath, it could be instantly if the dm let it, but you still would be

THEN RAW you can never get another oath ever, if you become oathbreaker again
>>
File: 1423632117615.jpg (43 KB, 241x241) Image search: [Google]
1423632117615.jpg
43 KB, 241x241
>tfw just became a Vampire thanks to some stupidly lucky 20s, barely enough HP to live, and a lenient DM
>At level 2
Surely this won't end horribly.
>>
>>47652707
They're not terrible feats, but these feats are really only good for a Fighter who has the feats to waste. Can you imagine if your fucking Pally took Blade Mastery instead of boosting a stat, or picking up one of the obviously superior feats once that is done?
>>
>>47652595
All feats suck and they're even worse now that you need to choose between more stats or a minor bonus or quirk.
>>
>>47652727
What the hell happened that you were fighting vampires at level 2?
>>
>>47651904
What are you fighting to be hitting on a 9 consistently? The only creatures with that low AC that I can think of are zombies and oozes.
>>
>>47652707
Yeah, plus it's an UA, no point complaining about playtest material

I really liked the feats, and the article has good insight into what goes into making a feat, which will be really useful for my homebrew feat book
>>
>>47652742
Its almost like its for an updated Sword & Fist book.
>>
>>47652772
Evil guy's alchemy lab, some vials and other stuff, party member decided "hey let's see what this syringe of totally not deadly stuff does" on the highest HP player, managed to live with 1 HP.

I can only assume it's going to be temporary or weakened since my DM isn't completely retarded, but we'll see.
>>
>>47652781
So far, zombies and oozes. Also it's a 10 because I earned a magic weapon by conversing with some ghosts. Took some talking to make them deem me worthy, but they would rather see their equipment used than rot in a hole in the ground.
>>
>>47652742
Well paladins can get their Str and Cha to max with only 4 ASI. Plus variant human is always an option.

But I will agree, half of the feats are a lot more fighter friendly. The other half could use some tweaking but I'd love to see more feats for tools.
>>
>>47652801
I would literally squeal like a little girl
>>
>>47651757
>Sword and shield means no somatic magic, but two handled weapons are fine.
Is that true raw? I've seen it mentioned I think that you can use 1 hand to hold a 2h weapon during your turn to use a potion, cast a spell etc., but similarly it was suggested you can hold something in a shield hand/store the weapon in that hand while using the item.
>>
>>47652243
Then it is likely you cannot do math or are a liar. To hit something on a 2 something would have to have an AC of 9 or less, which is just oozes in the MM. Why would you lie about something on the internet anon?
>>
>>47653051

2 Proficiency
3 Dex
2 Archery from fighter
1 magic

+8, a roll of 2 gives 10.
>>
>>47647079
>gourmand

fuck year
>>
>>47653049
Mearls is an advocate of saying everything is fine, and you can store stuff in your shield hand or take a hand off your maul or whatever.

Crawford says no to both, one handed weapon with nothing in offhand or bust for somatic components/healers kits/reloading.
>>
>>47647079
The sword feat is useless.

>need to burn reaction to get +1 Armour
>can get advantage on AoO

Well too fucking bad you can't have two reactions in a round. Whereas Fell Handed gives you:

>autoprone on adv if both hit
>damage on D/A if one die hits
>shield nullification if using the help action (this one is kinda useless though)

Meh. I dislike both of them, but that sword spec is especially poor.
>>
>>47653079
Well shit, if you have monty hall DM giving away magic items that early then let me tell you about the katana my dm gave me that never misses...

Seriously though, aside from all that what the fuck are you fighting with AC 10?
>>
File: Capture.png (62 KB, 322x79) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
62 KB, 322x79
For Repelling Blast, can you knock an enemy back with each attack roll? Being able to displace an enemy 30 feet with a cantrip seems pretty silly.
>>
>>47653119
>For Repelling Blast, can you knock an enemy back with each attack roll?
Yes.
>>
>>47653118
I told you, so far oozes and skeletons. We've only had 3 combats. A +1 weapon isn't that big a deal.
>>
>>47653119
Yep, and thats the point. Warlocks are EB turrets, it would be the best cantrip in the game even without the 2 cool buffs they get for it. With the invocations they are not completely fucked over after they blow there one spell/rest (since one of their spells is hex, they only get 1 other til 11. Assuming they don't blow their concentration save.)
>>
>>47653151
>A +1 weapon isn't that big a deal.

Ah, so this is your first time playing 5e then?

Its a relatively big deal this time around.
>>
>>47653215
Yeah, it is.
>>
>>47653215
Not him, but it's not that big of a deal. It's helpful, don't get me wrong. But it being the only real constant in these feats?

It's not a big deal, let's be real. I'd argue that it's actually really underwhelming.
>>
tempest cleric, where is its damage supposed to come from? i presume the fact that they can maximize their lightning/thunder damage combined with their school spells is it? it just seems weird they are a melee domain that doesnt get a second attack. i guess divine strike is clerics in general "replacement" for an extra attack?
>>
>>47653119
like >>47653200
said, their hot shit is eldritch blast, they get shitall for spells
so you're either "wasting" invocations on getting extra spells, or buffing their gun. knocking things back while 300 feet away
just think of them as a fighter who instead of attacking, throws an infinitely replenishing amount of glaives at enemies and can throw multiple per turn
>>
>>47653049
Two handed weapons state they only apply the two handed rule while making weapon attacks, so the spare hand is free to do casting.

However Sword and Shield both hands are occupied, normally I'd say "EKnights can do Somatic with their swords" however, this is an actual feat, Warcaster, that specifically says with this feat you can do somatic components even if you're wielding a weapon and shield, implying that normally you can't. Most DM's will allow it though, same for Hand Crossbow reloading, We've got a Dwarf Fighter with Hand-Crossbow Shield, DM stated "While it may be difficult to reload a crossbow with a shield hand, they don't call you a Crossbow Expert for nothing."
>>
>>47653247
>increasing your most important combat stat in a system where it doesn't get increased very often isn't important
what
>>
>>47647700
Why would you attack an ally?
>>
>>47653275
You are mainly a support caster, you help others do damage. You can do some damage, hitting them with your hammer and casting spiritual weapon, but your main job is things like keeping bless on higher damage allies and using healing word to get knocked out people up
>>
File: Path of the BrawlerOLD.png (2 MB, 1440x1849) Image search: [Google]
Path of the BrawlerOLD.png
2 MB, 1440x1849
Hey, is the anon who made this still hanging around? I only have the old version, was kinda hoping to snag the new one. Saw he made an update in a previous thread.
>>
Are lore bards fun? I played a one-shot as a druid but the party turned out melee heavy so I'm probably rerolling.
>>
>>47653091
Then how can you reload a light or heavy crossbow? Both are two handed. Does crawford not allow crossbows to be loaded and shot in the same round?
>>
>>47653610
I think they are pretty rad. I love skill monkeys, and they provide excellent utility and healing.
>>
>>47653585
>When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll.
Unarmed strikes don't benefit from Rage damage, so that's one important benefit to add. Even then, idk about it requiring no armor, I feel like it would be best for dex barbs with 1 level of monk for finesse unarmed strikes. Bring the Pain seems quite weak, two opportunities to fail and even with 2 attacks the effects aren't that great. Also relies on Dex.
>>
>>47653610
If you'd like to stay a druid you could just change to a Land Circle druid. Less melee capabilities but their spellcasting gets a handy buff. Lore Bards are pretty fantastic though so I can't fault you for wanting to play one.
>>
>>47653585
I'll post it in a bit just gotta find my laptop

>>47653874
Unarmed strikes do get rage damage, and bring the pain is lifted straight off the open hand monk, the class is MAD on purpose because barbarians are MAD
>>
>>47654092
Barbarians aren't mad, they're angry.
>>
>>47653092
Helping is great, specifically with hirelings and summons. Most full-casters should be using help on their big hitters such as rogues, warlocks and sharpshooters, if they're nearby and don't wanna waste spells. Damage cantrips kinda suck, DPR wise, if you don't spec for it.
>>
File: Unarmed strikes errata.png (13 KB, 235x153) Image search: [Google]
Unarmed strikes errata.png
13 KB, 235x153
>>47654092
>Unarmed strikes do get rage damage
I don't think any GM would disallow it, but did they clarify it in SA or something? Cause with unarmed strikes being removed from the weapon table they are not a melee weapon, and attacking with them is not a melee weapon attack.
>>
>>47653585
here ya go
>>
>>47654320
Crawford said on twitter unarmed strikes are melee weapon attacks

If they weren't a lot of the monk's features wouldn't work
>>
>>47654340
Rereading that does make sense, my bad.
>>
Have you guys tried defense rolls/AC checks? My group loves them, they never realized how often they're attacked and makes them feel a lot more heroic. They "dodged" rather than the monster "missing".
>>
>>47654404
Thats how it always is though, the monster only "misses" on a sub 10 roll
>>
File: 1288379591158.jpg (37 KB, 334x338) Image search: [Google]
1288379591158.jpg
37 KB, 334x338
>>47654092
>>47654327
You are a gentleman and a scholar, and your creations are a wonderful addition to my 5e homebrew collection, doin good things
>>
File: More Feats.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
More Feats.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47654404
Wouldn't that take forever in combat?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.