[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

FAVORITE CLASS you played so far?
>>
>>47585177
>FAVORITE CLASS you played so far?
Rogue. I adore the 5e rogue.
>>
>>47585177
Beastmaster Ranger
Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer are such fun class features!
Hide in Plain Sight might be my favorite though... SO MUCH utility!
>>
>>47585177
I haven't been able to get a group together since I got into 5e...
>>
File: UGH.jpg (76 KB, 355x332) Image search: [Google]
UGH.jpg
76 KB, 355x332
>>47585177
What is wrong with that horse.

I'm trying to like the paladin, but something about it seems... off.
>>
File: horse autofellatio.png (2 MB, 1009x824) Image search: [Google]
horse autofellatio.png
2 MB, 1009x824
>>47585289
>>
>>47585289
>What is wrong with that horse.
It was a different time....
>>47585232
This is mine as well. My rogue has been a blast. I've been rolling horrible on all my clutch skill checks too but it still feels fun.
>>
Is there anything inherently wrong with a str based ranger?
>>
>>47585356
You need dex anyway for AC and bows. You could sacrifice bows and get heavy armor but there is little advantage to doing so.
>>
>>47585356
you just will need 14 dex for your armor or to wait until level 4 to get heavy armor proficiency through the feat, or dip a level in fighter (at the start) or cleric (any time, of the appropriate archetype).
ironically (well idk if its ironic but) heavy weapons with the ranger are really good, because they have ways to get extra hits (giant killer, horde breaker, whirlwind attack).
you just have little support for it, lacking heavy armor and the two handed weapon fighting style.
>>
>>47585397
>two handed weapon fighting style.
Actually, apparently GWF fighting style is not all that great... and defense is a better fighting style for front-lining with a two-handed weapon?
>>
>No good feats that include a +1Dex
Fucking why. Forces me to choose some shit feat like Athlete or bump an AS I don't care about along with dex to get dex to 20 using point-buy/st. array.
>>
What critters do you want to see in Volo's Guide to Monsters?
>>
Anyone else notice that Curse of Strahd and Storm King's Thunder appear to not involve an external RPG studio? HotDQ, RoT, PotA, and OotA all involved bringing in a third-party studio to help with design work and heavy lifting, but CoS was done entirely in-house (outside of bringing in I6 Ravenloft's designers for consulting) and this one hasn't had any fanfair of another studio.
>>
File: original-7-image5.jpg (789 KB, 1861x800) Image search: [Google]
original-7-image5.jpg
789 KB, 1861x800
Posting this from another thread >>47582480. How would you go about creating the original seven Justice League members? What would their class be?
>>
>>47585635
>>
File: thri-kreen knifin around.jpg (56 KB, 400x555) Image search: [Google]
thri-kreen knifin around.jpg
56 KB, 400x555
I'm going to be participating in an online game with a bunch of other people doing homobrew races, and I wanted to play a thri-kreen. Threw together some stats for them and wanted to know if /tg/ thought it was shitty or overpowered or whatever.

http://pastebin.com/Eqmhwxdz
>>
>>47585559
Resilient Dex
>>
>>47585755
>a bunch of other people doing homobrew races
>homobrew races
I don't know, man. That thri-kreen brew doesn't even have a paragraph about using all four arms to handle dicks.
>>
>>47585763
My class already has Dex saves
>>
>>47585559
what do you mean? like you're making a dragonborn rogue or something which can only start with 15 dex? you know you can split ASI's into two +1s to different stats right?
>>47585436
it just depends on what you want. you don't need it, no. its an average of 1 damage about on any given attack. i wouldn't say its a clear cut choice for each instance, but you would be fine without it.
>>
Does anyone have a link to a megaupload trove of 3e and 4e? I want to take some old adventures and either fix 'em up for 5e or steal any good encounters, NPCs, puzzles, etc. I take a fancy to.
>>
File: templar.jpg (20 KB, 540x539) Image search: [Google]
templar.jpg
20 KB, 540x539
I got a question.

when you start out with a paladin, can the shield you can start out with be engraved with a holy symbol? or do i have to find someone to engrave it or something like that
>>
>>47585840
>what do you mean? like you're making a dragonborn rogue or something which can only start with 15 dex? you know you can split ASI's into two +1s to different stats right?
>Elf
>Aarakocra
>Halfling
+2dex

Starting with 17 dex. Ending up at 19 and then needing to take a useless half ASI feat or bump dex and something I don't care about (as I originally stated in the post you replied to, read the fucking post before you reply, idiot).
>>
>>47585825
>being a ranger
>>
>>47585951
ok you're a troll got it
>>
>>47585947
>when you start out with a paladin, can the shield you can start out with be engraved with a holy symbol? or do i have to find someone to engrave it or something like that
its up to your dm but i think in most cases the answer will be yes. but sometimes your dm will make that be your one and only holy symbol if you don't get one from your background as well. so just ask your dm.
>>
>>47585947
You can start with it on, but you could always have a separate holy symbol to begin with and get your shield engraved later on.

Right now with my paladin I waited until he could swear his oath and had his shield painted at a ceremony at his temple. I spoke to my DM about having an optional holy symbol for the god to be the "point of enlightenment" which made the paladin seek out the faith. Mine is thunderclouds sending bolts of lightning down on an open field with skulls dotted around, representing my god saving my soldier from undead shenanigans during a war with orcs. I thought having the paladin order together with each shield telling their story was some pretty cool imagery, as did my DM.
>>
>>47586059
I cannot comprehend how you could be construing my post as a troll post. Unless you're pulling the "shit, he's right! better call him a troll" damage control card.

My original post:
>"sucks to have to dump the extra +1 into a score I don't care about"
Your reply:
>"urr, uh yu realize u can split the one +2 into uhhhh t-...t-two +1s rite?"
You're a drooling fucking retard.

I guess Medium Armor Master will have to do.
>>
>>47586155
MAM doesn't increase your Dexterity

Just add a +1 to something else
>>
>>47586155
its easy based on how you insult me over nothing.
also i didn't take your original post to mean you were literally at 19 in dex trying to decide what to do at this point.
i still think you're trolling based on the language you're using and your characterization of yourself versus me because you got yourself into this mess by starting with a 17 in dex instead of a 16 without planning for what to do when you need to add an odd number to your dex, which should be pretty obvious to you versus me if i'm a lot dumber than you, but thats okay.
just take athlete its bretty good for rogues.
>>
>>47586196
There's literally no use for any of the other scores. They'll just be bumped up to a 9 or 11, making absolutely no difference.

Dex half ASI feats:
-Athlete: pretty useless because of how rarely you will be knocked prone let alone how rarely you crucially need to stand up from prone and have as much speed left over as possible; also, very rarely is the climbing benefit going to come up and the jumping benefit is pretty useless too
{
-Lightly Armored
-Moderately Armored
}: useless because if you're taking these, you're doing your class wrong in the first place
-Resilient: useless if you are trying to half-ASI a stat you already have save proficiency with
-Weapon Master: useless if you already have all weapon proficiencies

Alright then, Athlete, I guees
>>
>>47586273
Increase a score to 9 or 11 and then next ASI increase it to 10 or 12
>>
>>47586248
Not trolling you man, but sure, I was pretty needlessly hostile, sorry mate.

Anyway, I'm planning it out now (just putting a build together for fun, this character isn't in a game) and I'm just upset that there isn't a gratifying option.
>>
>>47585177
>Favourite Class
Shadow Monk definitely. I got the Cloak of the Bat with mine, and he's basically ninja batman.
>>
>>47586287
The next two (the last two) ASIs bring secondary stat (wisdom) up to 18 and then 20.
>>
File: rewrite classes.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
rewrite classes.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Critique? Some class edits for a low fantasy game. I'd like to know some anons' opinions.
>>
>Fighting styles can't be taken as feats
Wow, that's the first real complaint I have about 5e.
That's reasonable enough to ask your DM about doing, though, right?
>>
>>47586155
Next ASI: +1 to Dex and Con
Then Resilience: Constitution
>>
>>47586332
why did you turn bard into a wizard and then name it sorcerer?
>>47586297
why are you even starting with 17 in dex then?
>>
>>47586374
Because I don't ascribe to the term Sorcerer always referencing natural spellcasters. It's a setting-specific terminology.
>>
>>47586382
When discussing the game it's a mechanical distinction so of course there'll be confusion.
>>
>>47586382
ok
the thing about the wizard class is that its biggest strength is getting access to the wizard spell list, and having a book that has more spells than everyone else. if you just give that straight up to a bard, which is already a really powerful class that can do everything well, then you've given one class too much, even if you nerf jack of all trades slightly.
>>

I don't know, every game I join dies within a few sessions because lol online games.
>>
>>47586420
I thought the opening was clear about that. I'll take another look if it's a problem.

>>47586458
Would it help to return to spells known?
>>
>>47585177
Really hard to choose between Swashbuckler Rogue or Wild Magic Sorcerer.
>>
>>47585177
Valor Bard (although I wish Swords Bard had existed)
I want to finally get to try Ancients Paladin
>>
>>47586489
>Would it help to return to spells known?
i'm not sure, honestly. probably not enough. i don't claim to be an expert on this stuff, hopefully another anon can chime in.
this is from the UA on modifying classes though:
>Wizards have the longest spell list and the broadest selection of spells to choose from each day, thanks to their spellbooks. Anything that further increases their versatility in this respect should be approached with caution.
you've essentially taken the wizard and increased their versatility a lot by giving them every class feature the bard has.
think about how the sorcerer has a limited version of the wizard list, and it learns less spells than the bard.
>>
File: 1287336330449.jpg (10 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
1287336330449.jpg
10 KB, 250x237
>>47585177
>Favorite Class you played so far?

Never played, only DM'd.
I honestly don't even entertain the thought of what class I would play.
>>
>>47586553
I can change it to the Sorcerer spell list...or perhaps Warlock?

A suitably small one, to be sure. I forgot to add it to the pdf, but I also banned all healing magic below 6th level, and trimmed most the rest out. I also made it clear to my players who've seen this that spellcasters are on Witcher-mode: you are surprisingly murderable despite all the arcane arts you wield. So I'm not too terribly worried unless some DM allows his spellcasters to run roughshod over the setting.
>>
>>47585951
I figured he thought you were a troll because you can't pointbutly to 17, and get a +1 to dex from race while also getting a feat at level 1.

The only way to start with a 20 is rolling.
>>
Where are the /tg/ homebrew classes and such. I remember downloading a zip file a while ago, but now I cant find it... I looked through the MEGA and the pastebin and can't seem to find it.
>>
>>47585289
Is the divine sense getting changed. Paladins just don't feel the same without their evil detecting spidey sense.
>>
>>47587545
>wanting detect evil again
Literally a that guy ability
>>
Is going valor Bard with a bow smart if i have 10 dex? My character is a Half-Orc and a club is just not that exciting.
>>
>>47587627
>Is it smart
Not really
>Can I do it
Honestly yes, that +1-+5 boost is convenient, and allows you to use sharpshooter, but isn't inherently needed. You'll just be kinda shit and people will wonder a lot why you aren't just using javelins and vicious mockery
>>
>>47587552
We never had evil characters in our party, I don't think it would have come up if we did. Dick players aren't a reason to change a reasonable ability. I am the DM and i basically just made a rule to myself that if there was a paladin in the party evil WOULD NOT be able to hide in their vicinity without some pretty hefty magic cloaking it and even then only if the paladin was in a situation where they might be distracted. It works both ways, the paladin doesn't get to hide either, the evil would be able to tell a paladin at a glance and sense that a paladin is in his aura of influence.

If I'm not mistaken they kept the paladin aura of good the same but they changed divine sense, I think that's a pile of horse shit.
>>
>>47587656
It was never a reasonable ability. 5e is trying to kill alignment because a bunch of cancerous players use it as a crutch to justify murdering random shopkeepers who ping slightly evil.
>>
>>47587683
Fuck you too. Why don't you just remove aura of courage and smite evil while your at it?

Literally the only paladin class feature they did semi-right in 5e was Divine Health. They basically shit all over Aura of Courage by making it level 10, and only a 10 foot radius at level 10. Sure they kept Smite and Lay on Hands alright as features because those are basic bitch abilities that are literally just damage and healing that no one goes out of their way to play a paladin for. Paladins are the supermen of D&D, their goods trump card, their the class you pick to say "Oh you fear, me and my companions can NEVER be afraid", "Oh you poison or disease? I can cure that instantly and never be affected by any malicious infection because IM FUCKING SUPERMAN", "Oh you want to be a corrupt demon worshiper hiding among the masses, EVIL CAN'T HIDE FROM BE BITCH!"

Its like if they removed shapeshifting, timeless body, and the druidic circle shit from druids, that's the only reason people play druids nobody I know actually picks a class for how much damage they do and what spells they get.

You pick a class because you want to do the shit that no other class can do.
>>
>>47587638
Is there a spell similar to Swift Quiver for throw weapons?
>>
>>47587801
Technically you're still carrying your javelins in a quiver! (officially no)
>>
Rookie DM here looking for a little help with rigging up a low-level monster for a team of 6-7 lvl 6 players.

I have pre-established an Aaztar Ghola as a prominent threat to my players back when they were level 3, though now after several sessions they just turned lvl 6 and are out for blood. I'm wondering how I can make the Ghola a threat without going overkill.

My initial idea was to basically bash stats from a demon to give it survivability. It will probably come with ghouls & ghasts, but they will probably be wheat to the scythe for this group. My main issue is I don't know if I'm going overkill here or not.

Aaztar Ghola
110 HP, 18 AC
+2 STR, +5 DEX, +3 CON, +4 INT, +3 WIS, +5 CHA

Spellcasting:
3/Day: Inflict Wounds, Fear, Detect Magic, Dispel magic
1/Day: Finger of Death, Power Word Stun, Fly

Multiattack, 2x Scimitar: +7 HIT, d6+5

Arcane Fatigue: lvl 2 exhaustion if he ever uses Finger of Death or Power Word Stun

Dominate Ghouls: Imparts advantage vs Turn Undead to all ghouls & ghasts
>>
>>47585177
Fighter, though that's largely due to it being the only class I've played extensively.

eldritch knight to be specific, but I don't get to use a whole lot of magic for reasons.* still pretty fun despite this, as I still deal a ton of damage and act as a tank. I only did it 'cause of a character idea, but the fact that fighter is a fun class says a lot about 5e imo

*partially due to derping up my spell/cantrip selections earlier on, and partially because our DM decided a long rest should be 3 days long. which does suck a little, but our party is crafty/scrappy enough to get by despite being three casters and a rogue
>>
>>47587820
6-7 level 6s will tear through that and ghouls in a round

Honestly you could just let them have the pleasure of steam rolling this guy.

Did he fuck with them when they were lower level? Getting revenge is fun for players
>>
>>47587862
He was a business associate with a night hag that was harassing them earlier. He indirectly helped by providing muscle but they are completely unaware of his capacities.

I'm hoping to give them some challenge at least.
>>
>>47587771
if /tg/ has ever taught me anything it's that paladins were timebombs waiting for the DM to find any excuse for them to fall.

if 5e did any favors for the paladin, it was adjusting the ideals they uphold away from alignment. so yeah they're no longer "supermen", but they aren't held up to ridiculous standards either, nor do players have to worry about DM's trapping them and causing them to fall and going on some long ass quest for atonement.

honestly I've never been more interested to try playing a paladin, and it's not like it really changed flavor-wise either. it's still the "divine warrior who champions a cause" class
>>
>>47587839
>DM decided a long rest should be 3 days long

How do changes like this happen? What was the conversation like? Were short rests changed? How often are you interrupted?
>>
>>47586248
>its easy based on how you insult me over nothing
Welcome to 4chan. Start growing thick skin now.
>>
>>47587993
It's just the gritty variant rule that increases the duration of rests; the main issue is if he keeps short rests the same, it unfairly screws anyone who isn't a martial or a warlock.
>>
>>47587820
Finger of Death makes things pretty swingy. 7d8+30 averages at about 65-70 damage, which can one-shot a 6th level PC, and it kills outright without allowing death saves, and then permanently reanimates the corpse so resurrection is off the table. If anyone fails the save (or even passes, if they aren't fresh and topped off), you could well instakill a PC.

My experience with spells like Finger of Death, Disintegrate or Power Word Kill is that they work better when used on NPCs. That way the players can see how dangerous the enemy can be, but you don't have to worry about insta-killing players.
>>
>>47587993
whoa there buddy, looks like you blew a gasket. there's no need to get excited, it's not as bad as you seem to think. but I'll answer your questions

1) the DM said so.
2) all but one of the players have been playing RPGs for a long time. the DM has also been playing for a long time, and kinda prefers things on the harder/deadlier side, and this was his first full 5e campaign. the new guy was a rogue, so w/e. I was begrudging, but I'm still a fighter so I didn't care as much. one of the other players was also a rogue, so again w/e. that just leaves the wizard with an 8 Con, but his player is a D&D/pf veteran, and gets by with careful use of spells and cantrips. eventually new guy rogue got replaced with new girl druid, but druids get their shapechange back with short rests, so despite this being her first campaign this hasn't been a problem.
3) no
4) honestly? we've only ever had to deal with shit once (well technically twice), but that's because we decided to take a long rest in the tomb of some mad dwarf king in an ancient dwarven mountain city. we were approached by a young red dragon, but he was young enough that 150 gp made him run away gleefully. we moved to a secluded cavern and got approached by some cult kobolds, but we managed to diplomance them into not telling the other kobolds. otherwise, we just take our long rests in secure places like taverns and inns.

really though, I don't mind. none of us really mind. short rests are still short, and you can stretch your resources pretty far in this edition. we're also not dungeon crawling, and the DM is really good at world building and rp scenarios, so despite having some really hard fights, we're not under constant bombardment of combat encounters either.
>>
>>47588180
>>47588029
>it unfairly screws anyone who isn't a martial or a warlock
I don't see how that's the case. most classes will get something back after a short rest, so really it just means careful usage of the resources you're given by your class.
>>
>>47588212
I mean, Bard does, Druid does, I'm pretty sure wizard's short rest ability is once every long rest though but you could make them more ritual focused.
>>
>>47588301
bard does? hell our wizard does pretty well despite being anemic and not at all ritual based (even if he has hit 0 hp more than any other party member lol).

I should admit we do get some concessions from our DM, like all hit dice rolls (when leveling up) are at least average, so I'm super tanky while even the wizard can take like one big hit and not die.
>>
>>47588029
I'm sick of this meme that all casters are screwed by longer long rests and all martials are good to go all day every day.

>Barbarians:
Don't get shit on a short rest, they need a long rest for their rages
>Bards:
Get their Bardic Inspiration back on a short rest (after level 5), but only regain spell slots on a long rest
>Clerics:
Get their Channel Divinity back on a short rest, but only regain spell slots on a long rest
>Druids:
Get their Wildshape back on a short rest, Land Druids get some spell slots back on a short rest
>Fighters:
Get everything back on a short rest except any uses of Indomitable and EK spell slots
>Monks:
Get their ki back on a short rest
>Paladins:
Only get their Channel Divinity back on a short rest
>Rangers:
Only get their spells back on a long rest, but everything else is independent of rests
>Rogues:
Do not care about rests, except for Arcane Tricksters who only get their spell slots back on a long rest
>Sorcerers:
Don't get shit on a short rest, they need a long rest for everything
>Warlocks:
Get everything back on a short rest except for their Mystic Arcanum slots
>Wizards:
Get some spell slots back on a short rest

The only classes that are crippled without accessible long rests are Barbarians, Paladins and Sorcerers. That's one full caster, one half caster, and one martial. Clerics and Bards have some difficulty, but they do get resources back - Clerics' Channel Divinity options are good, and they get more than one per short rest, and Bardic Inspiration is the cornerstone of the playstyle anyway. Everyone else is good.
>>
>>47585356
If you want to multiclass Fighter for 2 levels it works great. (Start with fighter)
>>
>>47587771
Wow, you literally like all the shittiest parts of the Paladin class. Detect Evil was a metagame mechanic that deserved to die, just like Smite Evil was. Any ability 100% reliant on a targets alignment is hot garbage.
>>
>>47588423
Really they should just rename the class to Crusader or something and reserve Paladin for actual fucking Paladins. Paladins fight evil, its what they do, they're entire existence revolves around fighting evil. If you want a diverse class that fights a lot of different things role a cleric or a fighter. Paladin really should have never become a standard class.
>>
>>47588361
>all casters
I said warlock was more than happy
Bard, Cleric, Druid and Paladin I overlooked but they're relatively side abilities.

Although, true, the last time I rolled a bard I was only using spells in-extremis or as a buffbot (either Faerie Fire or Elemental Weapons)
>>
>>47588445
Paladins are imperial sycophants, nothing to do with fighting evil.
>>
>>47588445
>>47588473
anon kinda got a point there. paladins fight evil, but doing so all willy nilly would get you shitcanned, which is why I'm glad they got rid of that alignment-based ethics bullshit
>>
File: Paladin.jpg (23 KB, 256x401) Image search: [Google]
Paladin.jpg
23 KB, 256x401
>>47588473
U fucking wot mate?

>The compassion to do good, the will to uphold the law, and the power to defeat evil -- these are the three weapons of the paladin.
>Still the paladin really comes into her own when leading a mighty campaign against evil, not when merely looting ruins.

3.0/3.5 PHB

>Through a select, worthy few shines the power of the divine. Called paladins, these noble souls dedicate their swords and lives to the battle against evil.
First two sentences of the class description Pathfinder Core Rulebook

Real Paladins, 2nd E Paladins, bitch ass players didn't get to fuck around and there was strict rules about what was falling and what wasn't, there wasn't any DM interpretation about it.
>A paladin must remain chaste
>Must never marry
>A Paladin must reject adulation and decline rewards
>Strict magical item limit
One suit of magical armor
One magical shield
Four magical weapons
Four misc magical items

A paladin does not expect handouts nor does he rely on the generosity of strangers or his companions. He feels responsible to pay his own way and takes pride in his self-sufficiency. Unlike most other characters, however, the paladin operates under strict guidelines as to how he can spend his money and how much he can save.

>A paladin must pay for his own food, and steed
>A paladin must maintain his own equipment
>Paladins must buy the best tarns and harness for their bonded mounts
>When sleeping outdoors isn't practical the paladin seeks the least expensive inn
>A paladin must pay all taxes, tolls, levees demanded by his liege and foreign governments
>A paladin may pay a tutor for training, providing the tutor is of lawful good alignment and the paladin has permission from his patron.
>A paladin must pay fair salaries for all servitors and henchmen
>A paladin must pay all costs associated with the construction and maintenance of his stronghold.

I don't care what the PHB says at the class title, you aren't playing a fucking paladin.
>>
>>47588667
>His paladins don't serve Charlemagne
>>
File: Gare_Metz_décor_16[1].png (2 MB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
Gare_Metz_décor_16[1].png
2 MB, 960x1280
>>47588667
the fuck is this shit?

to be a paladin, you have to
>be Frankish
>be a high ranking warrior of Charlemagne's court
>fight the Saracen invaders

the fuck are these divine powers?

(also get that pathfinder shit out of here, this is a 5e thread)
>>
>>47588716
>Fight Saracen invaders
>Fight Catholic Basques just in case they might be Saracen invaders
>>
I use my old pokemon toys as miniatures for my games, which works wonders.

What does /5eg/ use as non-conventional miniatures?
>>
>>47588871
War hammer 40k Orks.
>>
>>47588916
An accurate depiction of the typical D&D party.
>>
File: Holger_danske[1].jpg (343 KB, 433x600) Image search: [Google]
Holger_danske[1].jpg
343 KB, 433x600
>>47588796
aw man, even back then paladins were still assholes. gary gygax captured the essence of the paladin class well (and by gary gygax I mean the guy who created the class that gary "borrowed" for official d&d rules)
>>
File: d&d beasts monkey bees.jpg (46 KB, 400x441) Image search: [Google]
d&d beasts monkey bees.jpg
46 KB, 400x441
>>47585574
>>
I'm tempted to give my players a freebie language slot just to go back to how Ravenloft did languages in 2e; no common, even the core has a dozen languages easily (although I usually treated Invidia as a reversal of Barovia, with Luktar official and a big Balok-speaking minority)
>>
>>47588029
The gritty variant suggested in the DMG suggests lengthening a short rest to 8 hours and a long rest to a few days.
>>
>>47588986
Prepare to have your players bored and frustrated by their inability to talk to anyone.
>>
File: Deepspawn.jpg (115 KB, 400x277) Image search: [Google]
Deepspawn.jpg
115 KB, 400x277
>>47585574
Deepspawn.
>>
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 230x219
>>47588871
WWE TeenyMates. One of my players refuses to use anything other than The Rock to represent his shaven dwarf.
>>
>>47588445
Paladins fighting evil is fine.

Detect Evil is hot garbage.

Smite Evil is hot garbage.

Metagame alignment interactions are hot garbage.
>>
>>47589016
Between this and
>I won't talk to you because for some unexplained reason I am fully aware that you're outsiders despite speaking the exact same language fluently
I feel the former is the less fiat-ish option. FWIW I'm also reducing the downtime cost and difficulty of languages and they're definitely getting told to start with the local language unless their backstory is literally meant to be "token funny foreigner"
>>
>>47589072
The only time language comes up is when it's a barrier. Either the players won't notice it at all or they'll hate it. You're not actually going to be able to explore the fun subtleties of comparative linguistics because everyone's actually speaking either English or gibberish. Trust me, this is one of those things that DMs waste a lot of time preparing for because the players either won't notice or won't like it.
>>
>>47589072
>I feel the former is the less fiat-ish option
Why do you feel that your only two options are to have more language barriers than normal or to have insurmountable cultural barriers to make up for them? Why is it so important that your PCs be unable to talk to your NPCs?
>>
>>47588445
>Really they should just rename the class to Crusader or something and reserve Paladin for actual fucking Paladins. Paladins fight evil, its what they do, they're entire existence revolves around fighting evil.

paladins in 5e do fight evil, it's part of their basic class description.

>Whatever their origin and their mission, paladins are united by their oaths to stand against the forces of evil.

>A paladin swears to upholdjustice and righteousness, to stand with the good things of the world against the encroaching darkness, and to hunt the forces of evil wherever they lurk.

all the paladin archetypes (aside from oathbreaker, which is deliberately for "failed paladins") revolve around fighting evil. the only difference is that fighting evil is no longer only for lawful good characters.
>>
>>47585177
Out of curiosity. Is there a way for a wizard to be able to summon a weapon made of a pure element? Like being able to conjure a blade of pure lightning? DM is letting me pick any spell I want and I think it'd be a rad as fuck back up weapon. I don't know the spell list too well but I'm still searching
>>
File: Thri-Kreen.png (271 KB, 564x551) Image search: [Google]
Thri-Kreen.png
271 KB, 564x551
>>47585755
>http://pastebin.com/Eqmhwxdz

Yours is pretty close to mine (which I based heavily on the 4e version).
>>
>>47589308
you can refluff shocking grasp for this.
>>
>>47589158
Because it's Ravenloft and cultural barriers combined with yokels who are just a sick cow away from bringing out torches and pitchforks is part of the experience?
>>
>>47589372
Wish people would refluff more. Wanna be an arcane archer? Guess what, your arcane focus is a bow and all your spell effects are arrows.

Seriously it's a game where you imagine things, only the numbers matter; everything else is interpretation.
>>
>>47589431
>arcane focus is a bow
Okay
>all your spell effects are arrows
This is getting into "my paladin is really a monk and his full plate is his body" territory, just no.
>>
>>47589479
>This is getting into "my paladin is really a monk and his full plate is his body" territory, just no.

What, so my firebolt can't be a flaming arrow and my fireball can't be an EXPLODING flaming arrow? Magic Missile can't be a guy loading three purple arrows and firing them all at once as they spin through the air and homing in on a target with magical precision? The numbers are all that matter, everything else is an abstraction.

Monk and full plate is different because armor has mechanical effects tied to it such as donning and doffing and costs etc.
>>
>>47589499
Even if they aren't literal arrows they could be magic taking the form of arrows anyway
Pooling energy in your hand, drawing back the string and an arrow forms in your bow, something like that
>>
>>47589499
Was about to say the same thing; Bow as Focus has fewer mechanical concerns than Full Plate as Unarmored Defense.

I'm on board with what you're saying, for the most part. I have little issue with homebrew mechanics as long as they intermesh competently with what's in the PHB; some brews, however, tend to implement clumsy or overcomplicated features for the sake of flavor over function. This is especially apparent in a lot of 3.pf ports.
>>
>>47589431
some people wants to be special. in arcane archer case, perhaps they want some special feature that's only available if you're proficient with bows and could cast spell while bla bla bla.

on another note, I'm gonna steal your arcane archer idea for my next npc
>>
File: Design Works0246.jpg (2 MB, 2552x3512) Image search: [Google]
Design Works0246.jpg
2 MB, 2552x3512
>>47589524
There's a class in Dragon's dogma that does this. Their bows don't have strings and their arrows are just glowing energy in the shape of an arrow
>>
>>47589614
That's the stuff
I'd definitely be alright with letting a player use this
>>
>>47589553
Yeah I'm definitely guilty of this in some aspects

For instance, I didn't realize Ranger has access to 3rd level spell slots at level 11, so I could just have given my Mage Slayer homebrew access to Counterspell instead of making a complicated shoot + effect feature
>>
Running phandelver for 3 first timers and 1 moderately experienced, all good friends of mine.

1 first timer says d&d is too nerdy
I really want him to play for that 4-man party goodness.

Tips?
Mind, these guys all play a lot of vidya
>>
>>47589777
If game-iness is what they want then give it to them.
Tell them how much experience they're getting, emphasise the numbers parts, etc
>>
>>47589777
What class is he playing?

It'd be better for him not to be on a caster-since-level-1, since a lot of guys that starts playing thinking like that absolutely hates to read and search for spells.
>>
>>47589676
I remember that. I had a similar reaction, but on the whole it wasn't that egregious an example.

I think the first several on my personal shit list for this are the several attempts at Gunslinger classes. In most respects they just seem to slap together a mix of Rogue/Battlemaster Fighter features, only more limited in that they can only be used with specific equipment.
>>
>>47588871
I plan on using Legion-Class Transformers at some point or another.
>>
>>47588716
>>47588709
>tfw Astolpho
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
Are there any rules about having an actual weapon be an arcane focus? I was thinking of having a greatsword that was half blade and half staff, with an arcane focus crystal as the pommel, so for spells he'd be waving his staff around, but if he wanted to use it as a blade he'd have to two-hand it.
>>
>>47590171
... So uh... So a glaive then?
>>
>>47590217
Not really, I'm visualizing it as a claymore, more like, but the handle forms the staff and is as long as the blade.
>>
>>47590171
>Are there any rules about having an actual weapon be an arcane focus?
There are not. Talk to your DM about doing such a thing.
>>
>>47590237
Sounds unwieldy as fuck
>>
>>47590171
There are no rules in the PHB for having a weapon have the function of a Spellcasting focus. That said, it's a reasonable niche for a low-level magic weapon.

The primary advantage this will give your players is the ability to cast without stowing a weapon. Given that one interpretation of the rules and specific example in the PHB already allows clerics/paladins to do this, it's not OP by any means.
>>
>>47590171
Yes - a staff. If you want a weapon that is arcane focus and is also better than a staff, it should be a magic item.
>>
>>47590237
You are either describing a very anime weapon or a very poorly balanced polearm of some kind

But as for your actual question, no there are no rules for that so ask your GM. Though I think the whole idea of an arcane focus was that you can't use it at the same time as a two-handed weapon.

Unless this weapon of yours is one-handed, in which case you're just being silly.
>>
>>47589396
The NPCs don't have to like the PCs; they just have to talk to them and show how justifiably superstitious they are. They could take some reasonable precautions before accepting guests, like making the PCs dab themselves with holy water, hanging garlic and wolfsbane everywhere, or seeing if they can cross the threshold of a home without actually being invited in. If every NPC just shoos the PCs away immediately, then the PCs will take the hint and just stop talking to NPCs. Is that what you want?
>>
>>47585177
>favorite class
Monk. While after about level 5 my damage dropped off (DM later helped by giving me a couple of magic items) I was still able to run around the battlefield stunning people and knocking down the ones I didn't stun. I basically became a giant "FUCK YOU" piece on the board while I darted around punching everything.

One fun thing I did was jump on a dragons back (had to make acrobatics checks every turn and when I was attacked or be knocked off) and every time it tried to fly I would flurry of blows it knocking it prone (it had already used its legendary resistance to not be stunned and to save against a spell from our wizard)
>>
>IRL game skips two sessions
>now want to play different character

Dammit eldritch knight, why do you look so fun
>>
>>47588361

Most full casters (except druids) are based around their spells. A barbarian might not be able to rage but having two strong attacks that you can GWF is still better than throwing out a shitty cantrip every turn.
>>
>>47590399
>Dammit eldritch knight, why do you look so fun
It is fun though I prefer fighter 2/sorc X for gish builds. GFB/BB twice a round is really fun.
>>
Death Knights are supposed to be unkillable until redeemed, right?
So what happens when they run out of HP? Do they just blink back to the Hells or stop moving or what?
>>
>>47590460
Only one I have ever used just was reborn from nothingness a year and a day after being destroyed. He was cursed to spend eternity watching the kingdom he helped build crumble and be forgotten.
>>
>>47590366
>Is that what you want
No, which is why I'm going with language rather than systematically assume they're complete foreigners everywhere.
>>
>>47590399
A melee eldritch knight is boring until level 7 with Blur and then actually fun when you get haste. I speak from experience.
>>
Aside from making the obvious change that feats/ASIs are based on character level, not class level, how do you fix the multiclassing rules?
>>
>>47590585
But that has the same effect. NPCs might as well not be there if you're going to make them inaccessible and make the players keep track of twenty stupid made-up languages to figure out which sliver of the population they can talk to.
>>
>>47590603
How are they broken?
>>
>>47590460
iirc they disintegrate and reform in the hells or wherever they come from
>>
>>47590603
That's not an obvious change at all, because some classes get more feats/ASIs than others. It would also result in some truly dead levels. (most classes give you nothing else at level 4, so if you have less than 4 levels of one class and then take your fourth level in another class, you get fuck all.)
>>
Putting together a little ranger build for fun and just to see how it could hold up; the focus is on getting up close and personal with tough creatures.

And boy oh boy is the damage output underwhelming even at Level 20:

Dueling fighting style wielding a rapier and a shield, using colossus slayer, using hunter's mark, and even also using foe slayer:

>Attack: 1d8+5+2
>Extra Attack: 1d8+5+2
>Colossus Slayer: 1d8
>Hunter's Mark: 2d6
}: mean = 24.5
FE:
>Foe Slayer: +3,4,or5

Making the mean damage output assuming all attacks hit per turn at level 20 only 29.5. Am I missing something here?
>>
>>47585177
I'm really enjoying the Land Druid at the moment. I know Moon Druids seem to get all the attention, but I'm really loving the chance to play a nature-themed caster, and the Circle spells do a lot to flesh out their casting options. Their early-game spell lists are nothing special, but they do get access to some of my favourite spells like Confusion, and work off of Wisdom which is probably the "best" casting stat since it influences Wisdom saving throws and Perception checks as well as their casting.

Fighter's solid, but I'm used to Pathfinder's completely hopeless Fighter, so maybe I'm just bias.
>>
>DM says he won't use be using SCAG or EEPG
>tells me to fuck off if i have a problem with that

Should I tell him EEPG is free?
>>
>>47590716
No, because that's probably not why he banned it. He banned it to reduce bookkeeping, so he can check on the features of every race and spell with his own PHB, and also because birds are bullshit.
>>
>>47590716
>steal $100 from him
>buy SCAG
>give it to him as a gift
If he still won't let you, he's a nigger.
>>
>>47590657

Literally only fighter gets that

Also, a dead level would be better than permanently gimping a character for not taking a multiple of 4 levels in a class
>>
>>47590716
>tfw you banned the SCAG cantrips and the two racial specializations anyway
>>
>>47590603

My group dropped the first feat/asi down to level 3 to help, as most dips want the path feature
>>
>>47590662
Ranged builds for Ranger are better. Carry a fuckton of loaded hand crossbows, and just drop the used ones and pull out loaded ones, and then with colossus slayer, sharpshooter, Xbow xpert, and hail of thorns, you end up with the best DPR of any martial.

So at 4th level, that's 2d6+28+1d10.

Now at higher levels, specifically say 20, with +3 ammo and 3 +3 crossbows, and 20 dex and wisdom, you deal 3d6+78+6d10. If DM says you can't shoot twice, drop, and shoot with bonus action, then just subtract 26.
>>
>>47590761

what's wrong with the SCAG cantrips?
>>
>>47590747
Rogue gets extra ASI/Feats too.
>>
>>47590864
Yeah, I did all I could for this dueling build and it's dead on arrival. I'll mock up a ranged colossus slayer, brb.
>>
>>47590603
The only problem with multiclassing rules is that Extra Attack doesn't stack in any way (creating a dead level at Fighter 5). Changing ASIs to be based on total character level creates dead levels for all classes, which is unacceptable.
>>
>>47589040
What is cold garbage then
>>
>>47589884
A gender fluid vegan ranger named mike hunt

He's distancing himself
>>
>>47590879
Not him.

I haven't banned the cantrips myself, but I have noticed a marked uptick in warlock dips in games where the melee cantrips are permitted. I don't mind enough to throw a fit about it, but blatant gamism bothers me.
>>
>>47590603
You dint because they're both fine

Your "fix" is stupid
>>
How would the game change if you were able train for ASI like feats and skills? Couple days and gold for material and an ability score goes up by one. I could balance it out with making it take much longer.
>>
Speaking of reflecting things, would it be reasonable to refluff animate dead minions as cultists or a small band of humanoid followers or are there too many mechanical concerns (undead typing primarily)?
>>
>>47591040
There is no way to balance this
>>
Is it next monday that a new UA is coming out or are they doing another highlight of homebrew stuff?

Did I miss a month? I am so confused.
>>
Using DMG firearms (musket and pistol), and DM ruled that they fall under crossbow expert. Only fighters get proficiency, so what's a good build?
>>
>>47591070
It's not a question of refluffing, it's a question of hiding their behavior and smell.

>>47591102
New UA June, spotlight July, new UA August, spotlight September, new UA October.
>>
>>47589850
Yeah, I plan on toning down the role playing a bit. Less acting, more charisma rolls. Good idea?
>>
>>47591109
Thanks boss, I wonder what the UA will be?

I just want mystic to be a thing. I want to punchghost...
>>
>>47590898
>>47590864
Alright, worked something out and its much better (thanks to Sharpshooter)... hand crossbow = hXB, heavy crossbow = HXB:

First turn:
{
>Attack: HXB + SS... 1d10+5+10
>drop HXB, draw hXB
>Extra attack: hXB + SS... 1d6+5+10
>Bonus attack: hXB + SS... 1d6+5+10
>Hunter's mark: +3d6
>Colossus Slayer: +1d8
}: total = 1d10+5d6+1d8+45; mean = 72.5

Next Turn:
{
>Attack: hXB + SS... 1d6+5+10
>Bonus Attack: hXB + SS... 1d6+5+10
>drop hXB, draw HXB
>Extra attack: HXB + SS... 1d10+5+10
>Hunter's mark: +3d6
>Colossus Slayer: +1d8
}: total = 1d10+5d6+1d8+45; mean = 72.5
>>
>>47591115
This month's UA is probably going to be a set of new feats. Mearls was talking about something akin to that last month on Twitter. Expect one related specifically to axes, at least.
>>
File: Cute Anime Girl.jpg (284 KB, 1000x978) Image search: [Google]
Cute Anime Girl.jpg
284 KB, 1000x978
>>47591124
Did someone axe him a question?
DOHOHO.

I am sorry
>>
>>47591007

If they really want the cantrip that's typically worse than just straight up attacking anyways then just tell them to take magic initiate.
>>
>>47591106
Battlemaster, Archery Style, Crossbow Master, Sharpshooter.

Pretty much writes itself.
>>
So assuming I know very little about 5e (the dis/advantage system seems neat) and have friends who would like me to run it (some of whom may know more about the system) what's a good way to get competent enough to run it?
Alternately, is there a searchable Bestiary available, a la the Pathfinder SRD one?
>>
>>47591106
>short term
V.Human. Take sharpshooter as race feat, and take crossbow expert at level 4
>long term
Start with 16 Dex. You get to put 2 ABIs into it to get a 20. Then what? Go retarded on feats. Alert, Keen Mind, Observant, Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert, and Lucky.

Why the fuck would you do this?
>always shoot first
>always know who's there
>always know if it is high noon or not
>all of your shots will do massive damage
>no reloading
>never miss another shot

Doesn't even matter if you're champion or battlemaster, but choose one.
>>
>>47591195
Read the books. If you've ever run D&D before it should be pretty familiar. Main changes are bounded accuracy, very few static bonuses, and advantage/disadvantage.
There are no online SRDs for 5e that I know of yet, but the Monster Manual is currently the only real source of Monsters anyways so they're all in one book right now.
>>
>>47591195
>what's a good way to get competent enough to run it?
Read the Player's Handbook (intro, chapters 7-10). The DMG can help as well (especially Chapter 8).

Most monsters are just in the Monster Manual. You can also use this, but it doesn't contain everything: http://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/monsters-foes

This can really help with building encounters: http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

There are a lot of good adventure books for 5e, and they're all in the Mega. Lost Mine of Phandelver is great for beginning, Princes of the Apocalypse and Out of the Abyss are also good, and Curse of Strahd is a god-tier adventure.
>>
>>47591200
>>47591183
Battlemaster should be Mandatory for Precision attack alone if you ever expect to use Sharpshooter to its potential.
>>
Why is foe slayer not part of favored enemy?
>>
Is there anyway to make whips useful without crafting some retarded artifact?
>>
>>47591292
Give them the properties Derro hooked spears do, where you can forgo doing damage when you hit to trip the target. Strength save, DC 8 + prof + Str or Dex. Not the most fantastic thing but tripping with reach can be nice.

Alternatively: be a rogue and get sneak attack with reach.
>>
>>47585286
Ah?
>>
>>47591292
Battlemaster Fighter. Variant human. Heavy Armor, Shield, protection fighting style, sentinel feat and shield master feat. It is the only one handed reach weapon.

Now if only there was a version of polearm master for the whip, just for the second feature. Then you'd have one of the tankiest builds.
>>
>>47591315
It's a one handed reach weapon, with finesse. It's not the most damaging, but it's good for triggering class abilities. Would break monks if it were a monk weapon.
>>
>>47591390
>Would break monks if it were a monk weapon.
Not anymore than Sun Soul monk does by giving them a ranged attack.
>>
>>47591272
Because fuck Rangers, amirite?
>>
>>47591403

Sun Soul is mediocre, really

Losing the attack as a bonus action really hurts
>>
>>47591528
What are you talking about? You can use Flurry with Sun Bolts.
>>
>>47591568

Not the flurry, the Martial Arts ability
>>
>>47591609

Also, cant use Stunning Blow on it either.

Thinking about it, its probably the worst monk path
>>
>>47591609
How the fuck is that a problem? You're either throwing multiple punches or multiple bolts. You still get extra attacks either way.
>>
>>47591663
Worse than four elements? Are you sure about that? Think about the difference in utility for a second here.
>>
>>47591663
Not if you can fly.

All you have to worry about is spells.
>>
>>47591681

Hold Person for 3 ki points, 3d10 damage as a bonus action with water whip

Also, as a side note, how did Hold Person get past playtesting?

>paralyze someone
>everytime you hit them its a crit
>>
Anyone tried a 5e gestalt game yet?
A quick google search gave me this:
---Prerequisite Ability Scores---
Gestalt characters must meet the multiclass ability score prerequisites of both classes.

---Hit Dice---
Choose the larger hit die

---Proficiencies---
Gain armor proficiencies of both classes
Gain weapon proficiencies of both classes
Gain saving throw proficiency of both classes
Gain skill proficiency options of both classes
Proficiency Bonus remains the same progression

---Class Features---
A gestalt character gains the class features of both classes
Extra Attack from more than one class do not add together.
Channel Divinity gained from both sides of progression combine their number of uses, and may use effects of both classes.
Unarmored Defense may be acquired from both sides of progression, but only the benefit of one version is gained at a time.
Gestalt characters with more than one spellcasting class combine their number of spell slots from each side of progression, and may cast spells of either class using their spell slots just as per multiclass characters can. Each side follows multiclass spell slot progression as normal.

---Background & Equipment---
Single Background
Suggested to not use starting equipment, but rather starting wealth: either greater wealth of the two classes, or combined wealth of the two classes.
>>
>>47591733
Would having the ASIs/feats from 2 classes to too broken even that is kinda the point of gestalt? Also I think letting the players have access to both unarmored defenses should not too bad if they are playing barbarian/monks.
>>
What is the most fun class and why is it Bladelock GWF?
>>
>>47591733
I played with almost these exact rules except for combing spell slots shortly after the game came out. I said they got the better spell casting progression of their two classes but combined prepared spells. I had a couple small parties of two and wanted them each to have enough options to manage on their own. They ended up rolling:

A Totem Barbarian/Assassin Rogue Gestalt
A Fiend Chain Warlock/Open Palm Monk
A Knowledge Cleric/Hunter Ranger
A Devotion Paladin/Battlemaster Fighter

The Barb/Rogue ended up being an unkillable skill monkey assassin but really underwhelming on the damage output somehow due to class features not meshing well and him not using them well (reckless attack to enable sneak attacks is not all that amazing).

The Cleric/Ranger was a really cool and flavorful demon hunter type but wasn't really any more powerful than a normal cleric.

The Monk/Lock was the most bonkers of the lot early on being the ultimate battlefield controller between stuns, flurry effects, and eldritch blasts with an imp to assist.

But late game the Paladin/Warrior was a horrifying juggernaut of faith and steel. Extra attack and improved smite are a potent combo and nothing says nova like blowing out smites AND superiority dice.

Ultimately, the balance was all over the place. It made for some really cool and potent combos but its ultimate going to wreck your balance curves.
>>
>>47591780
ASI/feats are class features, so they stack as per the rules on >>47591733

But that is stupid
As is stacking spell slots
And the whole idea really, I hate gestalt so much
>>
>>47591733
>>47591780
What are some killer combos with this?
Champion Fighter/Berserker Barbarian (maybe also Half-Orc), nasty crits
Shadow Monk/Assassin Rogue
Sorcerer/Warlock
Paladin/Warlock (Ancients/Archfey, Oathbreaker/Archfiend or Undying, Devotion/Undying Light)
Cleric/Druid
Battlemaster Fighter/Spell-less Hunter Ranger, all the stances
Lore Bard/Tomelock
Light Cleric/Sun Soul Monk
Favored Soul Sorcerer/Paladin
Storm Sorcerer/Tempest Cleric
>>
>>47590993
Less smelly, I would assume
>>
>>47591953
These are all cool and flavorful at least and not just some optimization gimmick. Not that it is hard to do both.
>>
File: 1464928894180.jpg (64 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1464928894180.jpg
64 KB, 680x680
>Swashbuckler Rogue with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter
Is this how I cowboy?
>>
I'm looking at building a greatsword-wielding Fighter/Ranger, starting at level 9 or 10. Current plan is to start Variant Human with four levels of Fighter and take Battlemaster - gets me heavy armour and weapons, proficiencies, etc, and lets me keep the ASI. Then shift into Ranger and take Hunter the rest of the way.

GWM and either a second ASI or Martial Adept for more manoeuvres (depending on stats; we roll for them) for feats. GWF and Defence for fighting styles. Take Colossus Slayer at Ranger 3.

Trip attack, precision strike, disarming attack, great weapon master, hunter's mark, colossus slayer. There's plenty of stuff to make it fun. It'll be outpaced by other dedicated martials, but I think it's a reasonably-viable ranger build.

Anything I could do better?
>>
>>47592184
Just need the point blank shot fighting style from unearthed arcana somehow. Extra attack and action surge are cool too. Then again, that might dilute the concept too much.
>>
>>47591850
>>47591953
This could work for a Planeshift: Zendikar campaign to help the players get close to the op nature of planeswalkers, one side of the gestalt would have be a spellcaster.

Also EK Fighter/AT Rogue, that's damn near a triple gestalt.
>>
>>47592184
You could try the Gunsliner on the DMs guild. If your GM is up for it.
>>
>>47592184
>>47592257
>>47591953
BM Fighter/Swashbuckler Rogue. Thanks for that.
>>
>>47592184
Or Battlemaster Fighter with Precision Shot. Multiple shots a turn makes more sense for a fast-firing gunslinger, but Rogue also works.
>>
>>47592245
Repeat after me: I will always get extra attack first.
>>
>>47588022
i ain't hurt just pointing it out
>>
>>47588871
I've got a tiny Cthulhu figurine that I'll use if I don't have a figure to represent my current character, otherwise I just keep it as a good luck charm
>>
>>47589614
My nigga
>>
>>47591953
Not a single wizard gestalt? How about:
Illusionist/Arcane Trickster
Abjurer/ Eldritch Knight
Diviner/open palm monk
Necromancer/oathbreaker Saladin
Enchanter/Battlemaster Fighter
>>
It's a longshot, but does anyone have a mega of Wizards' D&D-based novels?
>>
>>47590662
>Am I missing something here?
yeah colossus slayer is awful. take horde breaker or giant killer
>>
>>47590747
see >>47590882
do what you're going to do but you clearly don't know this game as good as you think you do.
>>
>>47592528
Enchanter/Mastermind Rogue
Necromancer/Death Cleric
Death Cleric/Long Death Monk
Wizard/Mystic
Bloodhunter/Ranger

>Illusionist/Arcane Trickster
>Abjurer/ Eldritch Knight
I like it
>>
File: .jpg (353 KB, 1319x778) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
353 KB, 1319x778
>>47585177

Played a Fighter level 1-8 in a campaign that just ended recently.

Had a pretty good time overall. Military background, a commoner who gets too good at soldiering and is betrayed by his jealous noble friend, becoming adventurer to fight corrupt nobility and bad guys in general.

Played up the ex-mil aspect by being frontline piker. Reach weapons work very nicely with Sentinel opportunity attacks, Battlemaster maneuvers give good tactical battlefield control, polearm mastery keeping damage close to the barbarian and sorcerer. All three together were very potent, many times multiple I got maneuvers in a turn off of attack, extra attack, polearm butt attack. It was a flurry of forced movement on enemies that gave excellent control. The status condition maneuvers were more lackluster, the Fear one was powerful but the DC to beat them was usually well under 50%.

I played a lot of 4e, and liked the style of defenders as martial controllers, and it translates nicely to 5e
>>
>>47592586
>Wizard/Mystic
We were jedis and shit.
>>
>>47591953
Swashbuckler/Dragon Sorc

>AC, initiative and resists out of the ass.
> Just use booming blade+Sneak attac or twin booming blade and lightning lure for some fun.
>Freely leave for safty after trolling your target who can`t hit you.
>Take defensive duelist on top of that and make your self invincible in melee at higher levels.
>>
>>47592642
>Not GOO Warlock/Mystic
Come on, pushing people back and damaging them with blasts of force? Recharging most powers through a relatively short period of meditation?
Or, you know, *monks* and mystics, if monks could actually use sunblades.
>>
>>47591292
Spell sniper AT with booming blade.
>>
>>47591953
I know I already said Cleric/Druid but specifically Nature Cleric/Land Druid, Life Cleric/Fountain Druid, Death Cleric/Deathbloom Druid would be better.
>>
File: 1276068952395.png (34 KB, 690x656) Image search: [Google]
1276068952395.png
34 KB, 690x656
>>47590123
Looking through my list for more ideas for >>47591953 and I finally notice
>Trcklebelly Nomad
>>
>>47592586
>Illusionist Arcane Trickster
That Magical Ambush and Spell Thief suddenly became much more potent. Not to mention still being powerfulit potent once your 5 minute work day is over.

>Abjurer Eldritch Knight
Think a spell plus an attack was annoying before? How about a constantly replenishing ward, spell resistance, improved counter spells, as well as no school restrictions on known spells allowing for haste or fly shenanigans and other buffs.
>>
>>47592677
Mystics only regain psi points after a long rest.
>>
I'm trying to develop a list of potions for my players that they can brew in my monster hunting campaign. The feel I'm trying to go for is something akin to the Witcher series, where potions confer a benefit, but they are also highly toxic. To represent how toxic they are they can only imbibe two or so potions a day, and they all confer a mechanical (and fluff) downside as well.

The obvious example is a potion of darkvision with its side effect being sunlight sensitivity; however not all side effects need to be so closely connected to the benefit.

Any ideas for potion effects and downsides? What kind of potion effect would you want to take on a dragon for instance? What if you knew you were fighting some specters or a mind flayer?
>>
>>47593210
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420965-Witcher-Class-%28WIP%29&p=19388260#post19388260
>>
>>47592346
Starting at level 9/10 already. As long as its in there, the order of the first nine levels doesn't matter
>>
>>47585177
can anyone post the homebrew race that looked like steam punk mike wazowski?
>>
Are there any high res maps out there for settings besides Forgotten Realms? Specifically Dark Sun, Grey Hawk, Eberron, or Mystara?

It would be great to print out at a kinkos and throw on a wall over the game table.
>>
>>47592557
I think you're right, Giant Killer might be the better choice for that build.

Colossus Slayer
>mean damage 4.5 once per round
>doesn't cost any action economy
>no scaling (ie no better at level 20 than it was at level 3 when you chose it)
>can be applied pretty consistently

Giant Killer
>get an entire extra attack with modifiers
>costs reaction
>obscure conditions: large or larger creature, must be within 5 feet of you
>can be applied as frequently as you stand in front of Ogres and let them swing at you

Horde Breaker
>get an entire extra weapon attack with modifiers
>costs no action economy
>triggered as long as you make an attack roll, doesn't require a hit
>must be applied to a different creature than the original
>need to have two creatures adjacent to one another; can be triggered fairly frequently

Questions:
1)What the fuck is up with those wonky conditions for CS?
>When you hit a creature with a weapon attack... if it's below its hit point maximum... only once per turn
Like, wat?

2) Why is CS so impotent? Why doesn't the damage die start as a d6 and then scale up to a d8 and then a d10 or something at certain ranger levels?

3) Can the GK reaction attack be used to attack with a spell? It doesn't say it needs to be a weapon attack.

4) HB is suited to groups of enemies which will tend to be medium or smaller. GK explicitly is only applicable to Large or larger creatures. Shouldn't CS (COLOSSUS slayer) be applying to only Huge or larger creatures to follow the trend set by the previous two options? Colossus slayer as written would be useful against any enemy that doesn't get OHKOd. I feel like they forgot to include that the creature must be Huge or larger. It just makes no sense that the other two options are tailored for specifically sized enemies but this one is not.
>>
>>47593379
>2) Why is CS so impotent?
because for whatever reason wizards decided to absolutely and irreparably crush the ranger in 5e in every possible avenue at which it could of excelled. this is unarguable. its possible it was through gross negligence but idk. it seems like it wasn't.
>3) Can the GK reaction attack be used to attack with a spell? It doesn't say it needs to be a weapon attack.
its supposed to be a weapon attack.
>4) and 1)
you're thinking too hard about this. colossus slayer is for killing creatures which you can't kill in one hit or in one round, which is why the triggers are the way they are. it just sucks.
the other two are better imo because they let you make a full attack, whereas colossus slayer lets you make half an attack (one rapier swing with no modifiers, about).
at least with giant killer or horde breaker you can get your magic, poisons, hunters mark, etc. damage on the attack. colossus slayer is like a bad dueling fighting style.
i need to rewrite the ranger for when i run my next campaign because i think of the hypothetical player pool theres at least one player who will want to run a ranger really badly.
>>
Has anyone tried putting in any sort of puzzles or riddles for a session? I was thinking of putting something in as an optional side adventure for some treasures and stuff. Something that they find a abanoned mage tower
>>
>>47593722
>for whatever reason wizards decided to absolutely and irreparably crush the ranger in 5e in every possible avenue at which it could of excelled
I genuinely believe this, that crippling the 5e ranger was intentional. With beastmaster as written, its basically impossible to enjoy without lying to yourself. You have to scour through the monster manual, carefully note the abilities and attacks of each beast, make sure it is the appropriate (and impotent) CR and size and then when you've chosen it, you have to get your DM's approval that you're able to find it, then you have to defend and heal it like mad because its gets wizard hit dice pretty much. Enjoy all the benefits of a level 1 (essentially the definition of a CR 1/4 creature) fighter with the hit dice of a wizard! And when you're in the 13-20 level range, enjoy getting to shoot two arrows for a total of 2d8+10 damage a turn if you choose to forgo your pet's attacks or if your pet it incapacitated. Meanwhile, the fighter is dishing out 6d6+15 plus a couple crits if he's a champion, some maneuvers if he's a battlemaster, the rogue is dishing out 8,9,10,11 d6 + 10 with his sneak attacks.

Disregard the poor writing quality, I can only see fucking 20 words at a time in the reply box so I threw cohesion out the window a while ago.
>>
>>47594225
I don't care for puzzles and riddles as it usually ends up with someone figuring it out immediately or the game grinding to a halt because no one can figure it out but they also don't want to just give up.
>>
>>47594331
this
>>
>>47594331
I was a little worried it might turn out to be the latter and thus i decided it all be optional for some goodies
>>
>>47594413
Still a bad idea depending on your players.

>"But DM, we have to get do a 100% run of this campaign! We have to get every single treasure, do every quest, and kill every enemy.

These guys are more used to video games, but still.
>>
>>47594413
Problem there is that if they don't know it's only for goodies they'll think it's important and the game freezes and if they do know they'll want to get the loot and the game will freeze.
>>
>>47586323

... isn't Batman basically Ninja Batman?
>>
>>47593722
>>47594232
Wasn't Ranger one of the classes they allegedly wanted to cut from the PHB1 until it could get refined?
>>
>>47594615
Damn, son.
>>
>>47589233
Paladins are lawful good, go be another class and fight evil if you don't want to be lawful good.

I'd throw as big of a fit as if they removed spellbooks and familiars from wizards.
>>
>unimportant side quest
>everyone shows up
>extremely important exposition quest
>most of the party is too busy to show up
Every fucking time
>>
>>47595118
>planning out a plot

You dun fucked up.
>>
>>47594511

Make the puzzle timed or have a limited number of tries so they just have to suck it up if they fuck it up.
>>
Anybody here ever run a Dark Sun game, especially adapted to 5E? The setting sounds sweet, but should I get the PDF of the 2E setting or the 4E?
>>
>>47595251
Get both, read it all.
>>
>>47595251
Hearsay indicates you should ignore all the shit in 4E.
>>
>>47595290
>>47595283

I don't want the rules, just the fluff. I've heard 2E is a bit sparse on fluff, but 4E I've heard little about. But yeah, guess I'll check out both.
>>
File: Capture.png (83 KB, 665x614) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
83 KB, 665x614
>>47595446
How much do you need?
>>
>>47596195

Is that 2E? That'll more than do. Thanks anon.
>>
>>47596241
Yeah, that's from the revised campaign setting.

I've never actually played Dark Sun, so it might be disliked by the majority..
>>
>>47591115
Mystic already is a thing. It goes up to 10. No one gets past 10.
>>
>>47595089
> ITT: This shit again
Paladins are no longer alignment restricted. This change isn't even endemic to 5e.

Take your bags and fuck off back to 3.5.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.