[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/btg/ - BattleTech General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: LITERALLY A LINE DEVELOPER.png (165 KB, 859x566) Image search: [Google]
LITERALLY A LINE DEVELOPER.png
165 KB, 859x566
/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

PLAYING BATTLETECH IS FOR LOSERS

Old Thread: >>47275910

===================================
First Succession War
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dp9iiecoaz4c29k/E-CAT35235_BattleTech+First+Succession+War.pdf

TtS: Brownsville
https://mega.nz/#!7xMngZBR!d0Ayoy_8rDrtsXZ7-M6wGPrmDq8O8F5_0d4G8dkLxzM
===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
Butte hold etc.

>>47309775
I don't go to the OF enough to really know.
>>
Steiner Stronk
>>
File: triplepenetration.png (307 KB, 601x697) Image search: [Google]
triplepenetration.png
307 KB, 601x697
>>47309818
Even the burds are taking worlds from you
>>
File: whatatweest.png (196 KB, 1421x466) Image search: [Google]
whatatweest.png
196 KB, 1421x466
Daily reminder that TPTB have no idea what the fuck they're doing
>>
>>47309865
Clan Amethyst Albatross best Clan.
>>
File: Defender_(WarShip).png (560 KB, 992x756) Image search: [Google]
Defender_(WarShip).png
560 KB, 992x756
WarShipfags, what's your favorite space dildo?

no semaphore paddleships allowed
>>
>>47310050
Pinto, of course!
it literally means dick in portuguese, after all
>>
>>47309806
>I don't go to the OF enough to really know.
Years ago there was a "How much do you play?" poll, with a "I've never played" option. Something like 30% of the ~200 respondents said they hadn't.

>>47309884
He was nice enough when I played him once... but it was at a con, with SW era units. His group wasn't exactly the sharpest set of knives about the game either.
>>
>>47310050
>WarShipfags, what's your favorite space dildo?

I'll pull it out of your mother and we can find out.
>>
>>47310050

The Cruiser-Class Cruiser.

For when you really need a space dildo that doubles as a keg.
>>
>>47310272
should have said something simpler like "your mum's using it" or something. instead the end is clumsy and ruins the joke.
>>
File: Honorverse RMN Ships 4.jpg (69 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Honorverse RMN Ships 4.jpg
69 KB, 1024x576
>>47310050

In BattleTech? None - there's too many projections and fins sticking off of all of them to make a good space dildo.

Now, in the Honorverse? THOSE are some genuine space dildos, for the discerning connoisseur of zero-g-optimized dick substitutes.
>>
>>47310050
>no semaphore paddleships allowed
Speaking of it...

Anyone have a good picture of the original Aegis cruiser design?
>>
>>47310196
News on the TRO? Are you going to show us new commissioned art?
>>
>>47310319
I thought it was a serviceable enough quip.

I suppose I'm gonna go with Atreus on this one.
>>
File: SCREEEEEEE.jpg (237 KB, 500x976) Image search: [Google]
SCREEEEEEE.jpg
237 KB, 500x976
>>
>>47310050
Probably either the Monsoon or Vincent. Wagon wheel gets an honorable third-place mention
>>
File: 1401078191667.jpg (198 KB, 854x1000) Image search: [Google]
1401078191667.jpg
198 KB, 854x1000
>>47309865
Triple Penetration with Purple Burd-chan.

Guaranteed pregnant. Who's the father?
>>
>>47309884
Speaking of the OF, have they deleted the thread where shimmy and a few anons brutally mocked Kit yet?
>>
File: 1401240025752.jpg (406 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1401240025752.jpg
406 KB, 1600x1200
>>47310367
>there's too many projections and fins sticking off of all of them
Something about it is endearing to their designs.
>>
>>47310367
It makes sense that HH ships are designed to go up peoples' asses
Seeing as that's where those books came from in the first place
>>
>>47310545

....what the fuck? Those are my ships, but I don't remember taking that picture and I don't have it on my computer.

And yes, I agree. The 2750 art style is just endearing, and I don't know why. 3057-style art is just "generic sci-fi spaceship".

>>47310531

I think that goes without saying, anon.
>>
>>47310509
Falcons are closest to Tharkad, so them, probably.
Kids gonna be raised in the Chaos March, though.
>>
>>47310585
Don't know what to say, I got the pic here and saved it because it's hard to find nice pics of the classic 2750 styles.
>>
>>47310585
You have screen caps of it? I think I missed it.
>>
File: kitposting.png (241 KB, 1321x992) Image search: [Google]
kitposting.png
241 KB, 1321x992
>>47310864
It's still there actually. No response since the 14th though.
>>
>>47310585
>3057-style art is just "generic sci-fi spaceship".
Hell, it's BAD generic sci-fi. They look like they're the ships from a crappy RTS from 2002 that you find in the 5 dollar bin in a dusty old computer store
>>
>>47310919
Although your post does remind me of how happy I was to find an unopened copy of EarthSiege 2 for $5 in a dusty old computer store in a small town.
>>
>>47310908
bump it
>>
>>47311017
I'm already the last post in the thread. And Kit ignored Muninn and Shimmy for easier bait.
>>
>>47311050
>And Kit ignored Muninn and Shimmy for easier bait.
Of course he did, he's a complete bitch
>>
>>47310531
Not yet, oddly. Not gonna directly link it in case they decide it needs to be closed, but it's the "how to" thread on the general discussion forum.
>>
File: 1436218057345.jpg (526 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1436218057345.jpg
526 KB, 1920x1200
In TRO 3050 it's mentioned that the AFFC gathered all three regiments of the Eridani Light Horse, as well as the 4th & 8th Deneb Light Cavalry, 3rd Royal Guards, 17th & 20th Arcturan Guards, 10th, 11th, 19th & 32nd Lyran Guards, 11th & 12 FedCom RCTs, and 1st Kathil Uhlans.

Why didn't we get a cataclysmic battle between all those regiments and the Jade Falcons?
Instead it seems they all left and Sudeten was just defended by the Grey Death Legion.

Say all those regiments, minus the 10th Lyran Guards since it was detached for the attack on Twycross, were in place and commanded by Morgan Hasek-Davion. How many galaxies do you think the green birds would use to attack? How might such a battle go? Could Morgan outfox the Falcons?

I'm a Falcon fan but I'm interested in such a what-if scenario if AFFC could manage a win.
>>
>>47311286
*Sorry, gathered those 15th regiments & RCTs on the world of Sudeten during the initial Clan invasion.
>>
>>47311286
>le Army Group Sudeten meme
Hasn't this been done before? The answer is almost certainly "Morgan stomps anything short of multiple galaxies"
>>
>>47311350
Sorry, I didn't know it's been discussed before, I don't think I've ever seen it in a /btg/ thread. I'll check the archives.
>>
>>47310420
I should put up another blog post, shouldn't I.

News is a slow but steady trickle of donations and emails, work continues, and new teasers Soon(tm)

>>47311286
That screenshot always induces some serious nostalgia
>>
>>47311286
>Could Morgan outfox the Falcons?
Depends on how much artillery he brought and if he could get and keep the initiative. Enough throw-weight and he could easily wreck them, and if he can keep the heat on, throwing enough beef against isolated stars and binary/trinaries, then he could probably also do it
>>
>>47311286
How many of those are RCTs? Just the last two?
>>
>>47311428
All the AFFC units except the 1st Kathil Uhlans are RCTs.
>>
>>47311509
So if you exclude the 10th Lyran Guards on their mission, we're talking ten RCTs and four mech regiments with integrated conventional support.
>>
>>47311286
It's game over for the birds unless they bring in WarShips, and even then, the FedCom would have enough fighters to massacre anything short of a battleship and probably hurt one of those real bad
>>
>>47311546
By that time they'd bid away using their warships due to Turtle Bay, so it'd be a slogging match on the ground.

In my estimation it would have probably wrecked the Falcons even if they won due to the losses their front line galaxies would sustain, plus since their rate of advance was slowing anyway. It would be interesting to see how those sorts of mass losses might influence matters in the Refusal War.
>>
>>47311605
>GREEN BURD limps along until getting divvied up by Hellions and Hell's Horses

HELL'S HELLIONS IS GO
>>
>>47311509
>>47311526
Whelp. The birds are 300â„… fucked, then.
If he could somehow lure them into an extended siege, Morgan could probably eat their entire touman, without even using the mechs. Fifty plus fucking regiments of infantry and thirty plus of tanks, plus five or so of artillery all dug in? That'd be fucking impossible to crack without nukes or orbital bombardment, as the SLDF well learned from the reunification war. Hell, even if they tried that, the fighters would make it pretty damn hard, put some holes in the naval touman, on their way out
On the offensive, that'd cause immense damage even so; the artillery alone brings heat like you wouldn't believe, and by keeping his forces together, he could hit even entire galaxies at 5:1 odds, which'd be all massacre all 24/7. Plus, twenty fighter wings can carpet bomb like it's Japan 1945, after blasting whatever aircover the clanners bring with equally nasty odds.
People really underestimate the conventional units in a RCT; they're just as dangerous as the mechs, sometimes even more so.
So basically, with that giant sledgehammer of a army group, morgen could put biblical heat on the birds and pretty much anyone else who wants a go, too
>>
>>47311868
I think it's more than twenty fighter wings too. At least a few of those RCTs have aerospace brigades of 4-6 wings.
>>
>>47311868
Even against all the combined forces of Gamma, Delta and Vau galaxies? That's something like 15 frontline clusters plus a couple Eyrie clusters and three solahma clusters in support. Assuming the Falcon Guard and Jade Eyrie clusters are still on Tywcross.
>>
>>47311868

>fear le AFFC XD

This really depends on whether you're talking fluff or tabletop, man.

At the time we literally have lightly reinforced Clusters facerolling entire RCTs in a matter of hours. Fluff-wise, the AFFC is hard-core fucked.

Trying to bring the tabletop into things completely fucks the Clan Invasion sideways since even shit-tier Podunk militias have enough artillery support to smash a Cluster by themselves, never mind an RCT.

TL;DR: The Clan Invasion really doesn't hold up once you start to think about it. For either side.
>>
>>47312082
>since even shit-tier Podunk militias have enough artillery support to smash a Cluster by themselves,
Probably not, actually. The average military would probably have a company at most, not really enough to do real damage . Artillery really only goes from annoyance to armageddon when you can get a fuckton concentrated on a small target area, which is a very rare situation in battletech
>>
>>47312082
on the tabletop, non-arrow IV homing artillery is useless without elite pilots direct firing or against static targets.

Artillery rounds taking several turns to arrive after calling in artillery support basically turns it into a toss up of whether it hits the correct hex or not, and a 4/5 crew only hits on the correct hex on a 11+. Spotting only reduces the to hit penalty by -1 per miss.

So yea you can have a long tom firing 30 map sheets aways, thats cool and all but in the 10+ turns for it to arrive and to hit the correct hex, the target is not only long gone, the battle is over.
>>
File: 1421361664442.jpg (5 MB, 3996x2160) Image search: [Google]
1421361664442.jpg
5 MB, 3996x2160
>>47312082
>This really depends on whether you're talking fluff or tabletop, man.

This can't be repeated enough. For example:

>>47311546
>the FedCom would have enough fighters to massacre anything short of a battleship

Tabletop-wise, absolutely 100% true. Fluff-wise, ASFs get utterly raped by WarShips, outside of Miraborg-style kamikaze maneuvers. In WarShip fights in the fluff, ASFs might as well not even *exist* when it comes to WarShip combat. And outside of dedicated Mech-killing Vees like the demolisher, the same is largely true for Vee vs Mech combat. If you're going by universe fluff, the conventional assets of an RCT don't help against Clan Mechs, and a preponderance of IS ASFs don't help against WarShips (if they're around).

And yes, I think it's stupid. I'm not agreeing with it. I'm just pointing out that there's an absolutely tremendous disparity between a semi-balanced tabletop game, and the universe fluff where no "balance" exists in any way.
>>
>>47312082
strange, could have sworn i posted this already.

Artillery is generally useless unless you use homing arrow IVs combined with TAG or are firing on static positing for a very long time, or using elite pilots direct firing on light mechs.

The +7 penalty for firing artillery indirectly is brutal. Each miss only reduces the penalty by -1, and only if the artillery doesnt move and has a spotter. A 4/5 crew hits on a 11+.

Not to mention the several turns that the artillery will take to arrive basically means that your chance of hitting the target, even with a 100% hit chance, is a pure gamble.

Yea you can have long toms firing 30 map sheets away. By the time the shells arrive, your lance might be dead. Not that it matters, because the shells would scatter anyway.

In a typical lance vs lance fight, you could have a company of long toms firing from 1 map sheet away and it wouldnt make any difference unless you get VERY lucky.
>>
>>47312251
Or if you bring an unholy fuckton of it. Thirty tubes and you can have literally three hundred shells in the air when the first ones hit. With that kind of mass fire, you can pulverize an area pretty damn good. This is what the soviets knew; if it isn't guided, you had better bring a fuckton
>>
>>47312464

Chose your pre-designated hexes more carefully. 5 hexes per piece and an intelligent reading of the battlefield can cover a LOT of ground. Especially now that Long Toms have a 5-hex blast diameter instead of a 3-hex diameter.
>>
>>47312464

The force orgs with artillery doesn't cover all the artillery the unit has. Field guns and emplacements are a thing.

Either way your typical shit-tier Militia has a couple of Infantry regiments and some Vee battalions, mostly Vedettes and Scorpions. Hole them up in defensible terrain with your artillery and the Clans are gonna have a shit of a time breaking through the artillery rain, A/C storm, and absurd amounts of infantry thanks to the TW rule changes to how tough they are. Plus their conventional fighters.

Factor in that in fights against planetary militia the Clans were fielding a mixed Trinary or so and you can see how much worse this is going to get.
>>
>>47312523
>Either way your typical shit-tier Militia has a couple of Infantry regiments and some Vee battalions, mostly Vedettes and Scorpions
What? No. On average, it's more like a battalion or two of pure rifle infantry and a company to a battalion of light armor.
>conventional fighters
A single squadron at most. Two or three ASFs would blow them outta the sky, no problem. So a standard star covering the clanner mechs could take out the air, then kill the artillery for a proper "muh batchall"
>>
>>47312492
A lance vs lance fight in standard conditions can end in 10 turns or less, unless at least one player is being a cunt and jumping around with griffins into heavy woods or something.

>>47312499
Aren't pre-designated hexes an unofficial rule or something? And more bv in artillery just means more on board units for your opponent to overrun you with before your shells even arrive.

When did artillery blast diameter get buffed?

>>47312523
Field guns and emplacements arent really artillery, unless you are talking about actual artillery pieces (sniper, long tom, thumpers, arrow iv).
>>
>>47312619
>A lance vs lance fight in standard conditions
Which isn't the kind of situation where massed artillery is used. It's a thing for battalion+ level fights, at the minimum
>>
>>47312606

>What? No. On average, it's more like a battalion or two of pure rifle infantry and a company to a battalion of light armor.

Have a look at the forces the Clans fought some time. Seriously. That's about what they were running into according to what's in the WCSB, JFSB, and Invading Clans.

>Two or three ASFs would blow them outta the sky, no problem.

Maybe if they were grounded and shut down. A single Squadron also sounds on the low side, but whatever.

Basic point is that the Clan forces would have been wrecked if you play it out on the tabletop. The TW changes to vee and infantry survivability are bad enough by themselves but you've also got the LosTech retcons now too.
>>
>>47310367
>too many fins and projections
But realistic ships would need those to dissipate heat and whatnot. Ah well, it's just Battletech anyway.
>>
>>47312680
>The TW changes to vee and infantry survivability are bad enough
Uh no. The typical infantry platoon has no field guns (unlike what most people use on the tabletop) and only auto rifles and up to 2 support weapons (probably SRM launchers) per platoon. That has no ability to hurt the typical mech in most conditions.

A single clan mech can take on an entire lance of vedettes or scorpions with barely a scratch, more if its actually trying to stay at long range.

And in the fluff we have factors like morale too, a conventional infantry company is probably going to rout after a single elemental points eats half of them for lunch while auto rifles do jack shit against armor designed to stop a PPC.
>>
>>47312662
Who plays battalion level fights on the tabletop?
>>
>>47312813
Conventions?
>>
>>47312619
>When did artillery blast diameter get buffed?

Long Toms, specifically, got errata'd to deal 30 damage to the target hex, 20 to each adjacent hex, and 10 to each *further* adjacent hex. Which makes a 5-hex total diameter. Snipers and Thumpers also got a damage buff, but it didn't increase their blast radius.

Re: predesignated hexes, I'd actually have to go back into TW and look. That rule has definitely appeared in print (ie, it's not "unofficial"), but I don't know if it's a TW-era rule or not. I think it disappeared in the move from BMR to TW.

Artillery is a moot point anyway. HE bombs from massed conventional fighters are the most BV efficient way to wipe out Clanners, regardless. It's also one of the least fun way to actually play a game, but as long as we're theorycrafting...
>>
>>47312813
Cincy. Toronto. CA's boys. I think a group in the UK does too
>>
>>47313002

So nobody who actually matters a damn, then?

If any real battletech players play games at that scale, let us know.
>>
File: 1458431565259.jpg (59 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1458431565259.jpg
59 KB, 500x501
>>47313045
>>
>>47312793

>Uh no. The typical infantry platoon has no field guns (unlike what most people use on the tabletop) and only auto rifles and up to 2 support weapons (probably SRM launchers) per platoon. That has no ability to hurt the typical mech in most conditions.

You are aware that Infantry take fuck all damage from 'Mech weapons now, and if they're on the defensive you can expect emplacements and field guns, right?

Or are you just going to keep tarding it up to pretend you have even the vaguest idea of what you're talking about?

Wait, I think I can answer that.
>>
Hey /btg/, are there any youtube channels worth watching for Battletech?
>>
I'm trying to build introductory lances for me and a couple of friends to start playing giant robots with.

Do you build them by tonnage, or "bv"?

Because I was thinking of building them with an assault, heavy, medium, light lineup, along with a 240 maximum tonnage limit.

No idea how to balance a clan equivalent though.
>>
>>47313323
Ouchies has a lot of BT batreps that are pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorrigan
>>
>>47313362
BV is the best route.
Tonnage is only viable for introtech only, with designs of similar levels of optimization and only for extremely rough comparison.
BV is 100% the way to go. 3500 is a good total for introtech lances, plus or minus 100 or so
>>
>>47313467
I see. Are there any online, mobile friendly applications one could use to calculate these BV setups?
>>
File: Hatchet Dragon.png (38 KB, 645x914) Image search: [Google]
Hatchet Dragon.png
38 KB, 645x914
>>
>>47313362

Here, try this. NEA made it last year.
>>
>>ditch my 2 bugs for something punchier

Phoenix Hawk, Griffin (perhaps the -1S model for more close-in power) and Wolverine are all solid choices.
>>
File: Steiner Strong.jpg (90 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
Steiner Strong.jpg
90 KB, 750x600
>>
>>47312258
>recce
CF Detected
>>
>>47312919
When did that errata happen?
>>
>>47313658
Not that I'm aware of, but you could use Megamek or SSW to calculate the BVs.
>>
>>47313131
How many emplacements and field guns do you think militia have on a company level
>>
>>47314640

4 or 5 years ago, IIRC. It was one of the first few artillery erratas, maybe about the same time as when they reduced artillery scatter to something resembling sanity.
>>
>>47314663
But don't you enjoy playing WWI in space?
Oh, who am I kidding. WWI artillery was probably more accurate than BT artillery.
>>
>>47314694
>But don't you enjoy playing WWI in space?

Funny thing. The reason Ben said that they changed the artillery rules is because they had a group firing artillery and had the shots land BEHIND the firing unit. The original TacOps scatter rules was (IIRC) 1d6 hexes of scatter per point of MoF. Get a 20-hex indirect-fire shot (hitting on 11s as mentioned upthread) and roll snake eyes. 9d6 averages out to about THIRTY hexes of scatter.

Lots of scatter is fine. To a point, more scatter is more fun. Or being able to hit your own units with artillery is fine. Hell, having artillery land on itself is fine. Having artillery scatter so it can land behind itself is completely bullshit.
>>
>>47314653

Numerous revetments and fixed defences around targets of military value (ie, where you'd want to defend). Field guns dependant on how valuable a planet is, but again at least a few especially for defending valuable locations.
>>
Alright/btg/, let's get back to mechs:
Post your 8K BV army lists, up to 3062-era
>>
>>47314663
I don't see any damage change in the tacops errata....
>>
>>47314881
Dude, it was long enough ago that even Sarna has it up to date. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Long_Tom_Artillery_Piece
>>
>>47314780
>The reason Ben said that they changed the artillery rules is because they had a group firing artillery and had the shots land BEHIND the firing unit.
That's a pretty impressive headwind. Serves 'em right for having a battle during a hurricane, eh?
>>
To restart some actual BT discussion, I received a couple of BT models today, including a pack of Elementals.

How would you base them?
I'm currently torn between 3 per-base, giving me 10 stands, or 5 per-base (the canon amount), giving me 6 (more populated) stands.

I'm thinking 5 per base would look better, but I'm not sure how often I'd want to field more than a Star of Elementals, especially with Alpha Strike gaining some traction locally.
>>
>>47312619
>>47312919
TacOps, pg 180, under the heading of "Pre-Designated Hexes". Though as many things in TacOps, it's an "if all players agree" thing.
>>
>>47315158
So what Sarna has it? TacOps errata says 25/15/5.
I cant find 30/20/10 anywhere.
>>
>>47315515
I would field two or three per base. 5 looks quite cluttered imo.
>>
File: gothinaction.jpg (134 KB, 698x847) Image search: [Google]
gothinaction.jpg
134 KB, 698x847
>>47313664
I remember this from a few months ago. Talking about a mech like this. Think it got the moniker goth.
someone made this chop
>>
>>47315158
sarna doesnt take precedence over the rule books or errata dude.
>>
>>47315158
SO maybe give me some source for that?
>>
>>47316444
I ended up varying things a bit; two bases with five, two bases with four and four bases with three Elementals.

Now to put on the basing paste on them and the lance of Panthers I also received...
>>
>>47316913
>lance of Panthers

Very honorabru.
>>
Does anyone know of an actual EU distributor of Battletech minis, even the lance packs?

Ulisses (in Germany) used to run both plastics and metals, until they sold off their entire stock of metals around Spiel Essen last year (and in fact didn't fulfill a confirmed order from my FLGS that contained some metal BT minis that were listed in stock when ordered).
When the local store checked again this week, it turned out they don't even have the lance packs in their assortment any more either.

This is getting rather frustrating for the store-owner and local BT players.
>>
>>47317561
Doesn't Ral Partha still sell minis? They did when I last saw.
>>
File: 1463179373577.png (195 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1463179373577.png
195 KB, 510x346
>>47313664
>>47316527
What am I missing?
What can a Grand Dragon possible win with a hatchet?
>>
>>47317639
Only the metals.
Also, shipping costs from the UK are kind of a pain for continental stores.
>>
>>47317792
It was salvage from dracs and Stiener'd out. It would be fun as heck I think 5/8 with some weight to swing that axe.
>>
>>47316527
pretty dumb looking
>>
>>47316527
Or, starting from a different chassis: the OstChop.

>>47313323
You could try Death From Above. I enjoy their RPG episodes, and what I've seen of their BT episodes seem fun enough too, if a bit slow.

>>47314640
Are you talking about artillery damage getting buffed above its traditional BMR levels? In which case, Maximum Tech (back in '96 or '98, maybe?) had similar buffs. Or are you asking for specifically how far the damage got buffed.

>>47311286
>Why didn't we get a cataclysmic battle between all those regiments and the Jade Falcons?
>I'm a Falcon fan but I'm interested in such a what-if scenario if AFFC could manage a win.
The AFFC used Sudeten to launch raids-in-force against Falcon-held worlds. The raids didn't achieve any plot points, so they don't get any screen time. Assuming all those regiments were actually *on* Sudeten when the Falcons attack, it'd be like re-fighting (pre-fighting?) their share of Tukayyid. However well ComStar did against the Falcons on Tukayyid, the AFFC would probably do almost as well.
>>
>>47318333
AFFC would probably do better, really. ComStar was full of amateurs, after all.
>>
>>47318333
>The AFFC used Sudeten to launch raids-in-force against Falcon-held worlds.
No, they used it to launch one assault (the one on Twycross). The forces gathered on Sudeten were actually used to garrison worlds anticipated to be attacked in upcoming waves but most never saw action.
>>
>>47318433
On the other hand, ComStar had intimate knowledge of how the Clans work and literally rebuilt the planet into a giant trap.

>>47318470
Whoops, thanks for the catch, for some reason I was thinking the AFFC had a planet like Wolcott... at least I was right about the other regiments having jobs to do, and that the jobs happened off-screen. Is there a good source for what AFFC regiments did on the Clan front, in between the Jade Falcon sourcebook but before the Field Manuals?
>>
>>47319141
The Field Manuals allude to post-Tukayyid raiding, but that's about all I can recall.
>>
>>47318333
When did in Tactical Operations Long Tom Cannon get buffed to deal 30/20/10 damage? Page number with the ruling please.
>>
>>47319141
Era Report 3052 has a bit on the 25th Arcturan Guards doing a bit of unauthorised small-scale raiding on the JF front. Also doing raiding were the Ryuken (out of Wolcott), the FRR Third Drakons (who were out to get Marcos Radick) and the Star's End pirates.

Incidentally, the Green Birds did the same. After Tukayyid, Vandervahn Chistu started raiding the LC to keep the touman fit for battle.
>>
>>47319141
And Era Report 3062 has some more. The First Robinson Rangers and the Sixth Lyran Guards were apparently big on both raiding and getting raided.
>>
>>47319187
>>47319601
>>47319707
Thanks!

>>47319422
Can't help ya, I only know the Max Tech thing. The guy you were originally talking to might've been misremembering the buff, though it's also possible that a decision was lost in the '09 board crashes, or somewhere between playtesting and final editing.
>>
I'm going to be doing a rather unusual (for me) game soon of Clan conventional forces vs each other. As far as I know non-elemental infantry and non-mech ground vehicles.

Are there any primers on how the Clans organize formations like that? Vehicles or infantry unit types to suggest?
>>
Today I'm painting my first Mech, ever.
A Spider. I'm using Drybush as a technique and I also got a minipen to help me with the fuck ups.

Wish me luck /tg/.
>>
>>47320785
Two tanks or five blokes on foot to a Point, 25 guys/10 tanks per star
>>
>>47320785
FM: Crusader Clans should have the Hell's Horses org charts in it. The Horsies are really keen on combined arms warfare.
>>
>>47320971
Are stars ever mixed at that level?

>>47320998
The guy I'm going to be playing will be as Hell's Horses so I can already tell it'll be good.
>>
>>47320785
Conventional Infantry-wise, only the blood spirits bother with gear beyond rifles, which limits you a bit
>>
>>47321125
>Are stars ever mixed at that level?
I don't think so
>>
File: Bowman.gif (67 KB, 512x471) Image search: [Google]
Bowman.gif
67 KB, 512x471
>>47320998
Because of that the Hells Horses I'd say are my favourite clan. Also because they have a bit of an underdog thing going for them as they get shit from other clans for not having a huge boner for mechs above all else.
>>
File: horsies force comp.jpg (111 KB, 601x383) Image search: [Google]
horsies force comp.jpg
111 KB, 601x383
>>47321125
Looked it up in the FM, and here's what it says on about the typical cluster org. Note especially the Trinary Epsilon, which is only vees and conventional squaddies, a real shitload of them.
>>
>>47320211
>though it's also possible that a decision was lost in the '09 board crashes

It was a board ruling. Someone should probably clarify the current intended artillery damage, tho.
>>
Does anyone have NEA's breakdown of warship classes and their roles?
>>
>>47323117

Yes.
>>
Do the Clans ever refer to the Successor States by their Great House names (Liao, Steiner, Davion, Kurita, etc.)?
>>
>>47312247

>which is a very rare situation in battletech

I thought the Capellans believed in doing that considering their noted for their artillery use?
>>
>>47323327
Hey NEA, WarShip question.
What class of vessel would you figure that the SLDF would have dispatched on an extremely long duration (like two or three years, no resupply) recon/mapping mission in the deep periphery?
>>
>>47323871
>considering their noted for their artillery use?
They use guided missile artillery, not massed guns. Vastly different story
>>
Is there any Clan that will sell Elemental Armor to an Inner Sphere buyer if they're interested?
>>
>>47323880
If you're talking a la Star Trek I'd nominate a modified Aegis.
>>
>>47324124
clan space jew
>>
>>47320998
>>47321265

I like them because they put the man above the machine first and aren't as bad as their neighboring Clans (Wolves, Falcons, Jaguars etc) are (or were in the case of Jaguar).

Their style of warfare also gives them a slight advantage when it comes to bidding as they can get away with classifying things like Quadvees as simple vehicles, often throwing their opponents off when they learn what they're really fighting.
>>
>>47323880
I think the SLDF captured a Wagon Wheel or two during the reunification war? One of those would be perfect, on account of the big grav decks; you'd need em to keep the crew sane and in shape on a long trip like that. Plus it's got a shit ton of cargo space and two DS collars for planetary excursions.
For a pure SLDF ship, though, this might be the one and only situation for a Vincent to shine; it has VAST amounts of cargo space for supplies, and is specifically known for being easy to modify. Just add a few grav decks and whatever other equipment the expedition needs. Plus, it's not like you're taking an actually useful ship off the line or anything
>>
>>47323900

I was kind of expecting they'd have things like sniper Artillery and the like out the ass and not just missiles.
>>
>>47323871
Cappies use Arrow IV almost exclusively.
>>
>>47323821
I believe the clan term is "Successor Lord surats"
>>
>>47323880
Wow, something that the SovSoy would actually be good at
>>47324639
Nah, their artillery thing is almost entirely about arrow IV. For gun artillery, they've probably got as much as the other successor states
>>
>>47324452
I'd kinda like to see a 5-year mission Enterprise variant of a Vincent. Would definitely need more armor and improved weapons, I believe.
>>
>>47323880

SovSoy. Lots of DropShips. Lots of cargo space. Expendable. Perfect for long-range recon.
>>
>>47325047
I never got why the SovSoy had to have such shit armor when the allocation of tonnage to armor is so tiny compared to its massive cargo bays.
>>
File: SovSoy2.jpg (388 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
SovSoy2.jpg
388 KB, 1600x1200
>>47325622

The answer is "FASA didn't give a damn about WarShips."

1) WarShips were originally constructed without rules.
2) The SovSoy original fluff clearly pulled from WW1 battlecruisers - speed, long-range guns, light(ish) armor.
3) The people who statted the SovSoy remembered the fluff bit about "light armor to make room for engines", but then forgot about the "engine" part. Which meant that it clearly had to have a massive cargo fraction.
4) Nobody cared enough in 1989 to fix it or issue a TRO2750 errata. Eventually aerospace started mattering to the game line, and by then the flaws with the SovSoy fell under the "no retcons" policy.

Basically, there's absolutely NO legitimate reason for the SovSoy to be all of "lightly armed, criminally-lightly armored, and slow" and still have the fluff it does. There's just no defending it. The fact that SovSoys can operate competently in large groups, and the fact that this matches up with SLN naval doctrine (hordes of WarShips) is *purely* coincidental. By all rights, the SovSoy stats would have been pulled and retconned back in 1990 as an "obvious error in transcription between the fluff and rules."
>>
After the Jihad, how did the Republic of the Sphere have the strength to attack the Confederation and seize worlds such as Liao?
>>
>>47326525

Porchbux and fiat.
>>
>>47326525
By having more soldiers than Liao. Remember the CC fought the Jihad alone
>>
Idea: Collections of record sheets for each mech from the Introductory Box set for each era, so new players don't have to dig through 15 different books to find what they can run in 3085, for example, and just know they should download "Introductory Collection 3085"
>>
>>47326608
You're joking right? The 3085 example would be stupendously large. Just the mech RS from 3039 is 214 pages. If we add RS 3050U, sans a few mechs like the Shogun and Imp, we're still probably looking at another 250. And let's be generous and say that the ONN section of 3085 is only 40 pages. So that's possibly 504 pages. For one product. StratOps is 450.
>>
>>47326604

>By having more soldiers than Liao

I find that extremely hard to believe give the size of the Republic and the size of the Confederation.
>>
>>47326724
I'm just suggesting one sheet for each of those 24 mechs that could represent it for that era. Take the Dragon for example; for the 3029 collection you have the DRG-1N, the one that comes in the box set, but for a collection from, say, 3067, you could have a Grand Dragon variant like the DRG-7K.

You don't need to have ALL the possible variants, just one of each to make it easier on new players to get into things, if, say, their local group plays Civil War era, they just download the Intro Set 3067 collection
>>
>>47326738
I may be very wrong..just a second, let me check fm3085
>>
>>47324149
So all of them?
>>
>>47326835
Eh. It seems like the path for the game is Introbox -> TRO:3039 -> TRO:3050U -> Total Warfare ->Everything else. Plus, I'd be pissed if I really liked the Panther, and then stumble into a 3050 book and promptly get the -10K while the Clint, which wasn't even in production at the time, gets an ER PPC/DHS variant.
>>
What book can I read about the Knights of The Sphere in?
>>
>>47321127
For real? Even the Hell's Horses don't?
>>
File: image.jpg (443 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
443 KB, 800x1280
>>47326738
The RAF isn't bigger than the CCAF but they aren't far behind neither. Read the explanation for yourself
>>
>>47327025
No, he's wrong. Check TRO 3085, there are many different Clan infantry units you can use. HH and GB have the most infantry variety
>>
File: 1453130785123.jpg (23 KB, 344x135) Image search: [Google]
1453130785123.jpg
23 KB, 344x135
>>47327056
One problem I have with the early RAF and its counterattack is the issue of cohesion and morale. I mean the Jihad had *just* ended. And who are the people making up this new military? It's been around less than a year too. General war-weariness and lack of unity should have rendered a lot of it pretty unmotivated and ineffective. I mean the Republic was 100% an artificial state led by a complete literally-who character. (Ghost War made Stone seem like the end all-be all of the Jihad but the actual Jihad sourcebooks make him seem like halfway a background character.
Compare that to the Capellans who, while yes there's the Coleman effect and Porchbux, were a pretty solid culture with a unified military and shitload of motivation to fight for a nation that seemed on the rise and led by a leader who literally never seemed to fail.

I dunno. I mean I get its CGL having to make sense of the Derp Age stuff from Wizkids but it seems kinda flaky to me.
>>
>>47327204
>muh Derp Age
Opinion discarded
Battletech is full of hard to believe moments and RAF beating Liao is far from the worst.
>>
>>47327259
>getting triggered by a commonly used term for the Wizkids bullshit
Don't cry yourself to sleep, anon.
>>
>>47327010

I don't remember if Ideal War has the KotIS or if Thomas forms them at the end, but either way it's a book where Paul Masters is a main character. Other than that, the fight a bit in the Twilight of the Clans series.

There's not much on them.

>>47327025

I think he's the "autorifle infantry is all anyone ever ha" guy from upthread.

The Clans have a shit ton of equipment and the Mauser IIC is arguably one of their most common weapons. The only real issue is that for a long time OOC the only Infantry units we had were ones with shitty standardised weapons, Rifle, SRM, or Laser.
>>
File: Infan20.png (207 KB, 455x654) Image search: [Google]
Infan20.png
207 KB, 455x654
Word of Blake infantry look pretty badass.
>>
>>47327406
>dat surcoat

S E X Y
E
X
Y

How does anyone not love WoB
>>
>>47327717
Th-They're evil for doing on a smaller scale what all the Successor States already spent two centuries doing!
>>
>>47327056

I have to wonder if House Liao was even trying there.
>>
File: 1457254768346.jpg (47 KB, 259x294) Image search: [Google]
1457254768346.jpg
47 KB, 259x294
>>47327730
>>
>>47327717
>How does anyone not love WoB

They're a shitty meme faction, just like PURPLE BURDSHIT. Liking WoB is like liking the Capellans or Dracs in 3025. You're just objectively wrong for doing so, and shouldn't be a part of the community.
>>
>>47327802
lol you need to embellish a little more so we can use it as copypasta
>>
File: 1462423579835.jpg (34 KB, 488x568) Image search: [Google]
1462423579835.jpg
34 KB, 488x568
>>47327802
>>
>>47327842

Don't use that image in response to that. Herb would ABSOLUTELY approve of that message. he's said multiple times that if you like "designated villain" factions, you deserve what you get, and specifically cited the Dracs and WOB as examples.
>>
>>47327802
>having shit taste
>>
>>47327717
To be perfectly honest, I'm just not interested in what they bring to the table. They were a great story element, but they just don't interest me as a faction
>>
>>47327717
Because if I wanted red-robed murder cyborgs, techno-theocracy, pointless planet destruction, mindless fanaticism and fellow fans with annoying catchphrases, I'd go back to playing 40k
>>
File: 1451553824184-3.jpg (72 KB, 568x900) Image search: [Google]
1451553824184-3.jpg
72 KB, 568x900
What's was the most traumatic war in the Inner Sphere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48

video related
>>
>>47327951
The first two Succession Wars are tied for the top spot. Possibly the Age of War as a very close second.
>>
>>47327951
First succession war. Reunification war gets pretty close for the nations involved (the SLDF killed something like a quarter of the TC's population), but the first succession war was so much larger in scale
>>
>>47327951

FedCom Civil War. It destroyed the only true hope of the Inner Sphere to defeat the yellow peril once and for all.

Just think for a moment of what we lost when the FedCom shattered: a glorious new Inner Sphere and fandom without Dracfags or Capfags. Weep for what we will never have.
>>
Xotl, get on the IRC dammit. Everyone is being cryptic.
>>
File: 1440179993204.jpg (44 KB, 581x276) Image search: [Google]
1440179993204.jpg
44 KB, 581x276
>>47327802
>>
>>47328003
>Dracfags
But the dracs were slowly becoming not shit during the clan invasion era (though the FCCW probably also derailed that un-shitening)
>>
>>47328003
And to think that it only happened because for once in his life victor didn't fuck the princess
>>
>>47327868
If no one plays the 'villain' factions, then the game is just 'heros' swinging mech sized foam swords at each other.
>>
Were there any tank designs ever considered for dealing with Battle Armor such as Elementals?
>>
>>47328224
I can't think of any canonically designed for that purpose, but the 3058 onwards Partisan does a rather good job of it, as does the Ontos
>>
I'm a little new to the battletech universe (my entry was MechWarrior 4 so it's a surprise that the standard mechs there are rare in the regular storyline).

What are the "iconic" mechs for the Federated Suns in each weight class? I pretty much picked them as my starting faction since I got attached to the Davion faction in liberating Kentares from the Steiners.
>>
File: 300px-Shiro-Kurita.png (148 KB, 300x401) Image search: [Google]
300px-Shiro-Kurita.png
148 KB, 300x401
>>47327802
>Disliking Draconis Combine
>Any year
SHAMERFUR DISPRAY ANON
THOSE WHO ARE NOT WITH ME SHALL DIE
>>
>>47328483
>light
Valk, more than anything else. Maybe the Wolfhound in second
>medium
Enfield and enforcer
>heavy
Jagermech and maybe the Warhammer
>Assault
Victor, Devastator, maybe the Templar
>>
>>47328224
Zhukov is pretty good. The traditional "clusters then 10-point hits" method goes well with the 2 LB-10Xs, and you can pack infernos in the SRMs
>>
>>47328483
>What are the "iconic" mechs for the Federated Suns in each weight class?
Light: Javelin
Medium: Centurion and Enforcer
Heavy: JagerMech (even though I hate it)
Assault: Victor

These aren't exactly their *best* mechs, but they're all nice classic FedSuns designs.
>>
>>47328219

Villain factions are for the GM, not actual players.
>>
>>47328224
Use Partisans paired with Schreks. They can kill a fuckton of BA really fast and at long range
>>
>>47329221

Wut.

Long range and BA are +5 just for that. Add in a +2 for jumping 3 hexes, Stealth or Mimetic armour, and you're not gonna be hitting shit.

Artillery or artillery cannons are the way to go.
>>
What stuff is the Marian Hegemony making in 3145? The MUL seems...unreliable.
>>
>>47329362
LBX-10s can soften up BA at longer ranges, you can load the AC/2s with precision to deal with some of those movement issues. Once they close, slugs and PPCs tear them up.
Also, with vees, you can use crews that are worse drivers but better gunners more readily than with mechs, so that also helps.
And yeah, artillery and artillery cannons are 100% the best, but a lot of people don't play with them
>>
>>47329499
clan large pulse softens up BA at range too
>>
>>47329468
Grab Objectives: Periphery. Everything in that, plus the Ravager and Marauder BAs and the Tetsudo tank. I think maybe one or two other tanks, but I can't remember which ones
>>
>>47329538
Yeah, but they do literally everything, so it's a bit redundant to bring them up
>>
>>47329583
Man it was a relief to see in O:P that the TC was still making some battle armor. After all the crap in the Jihad and the Pleiades war I'd have been bummed if the TC lost its limited BA too.
>>
>>47329649
Must have been an oversight in the fucking-over process
>>
>>47329663
lol I'll take it
>>
>>47329663
>Must have been an oversight in the fucking-over process
Devs falling down on the job. AGAIN.
>>
>>47329603
They don't headcap
>>
>>47329583
Got a link? I didn't see it in either of the Mediafire links
>>
>>47329842
I actually don't, sorry. Try the archive, search "Objectives" + "mediafire" to see if somebody else has uploaded it
>>
>>47329896
I don't know how to archive
>>
>>47329976
Here's the link, I found it for you.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5z1o36r4thbvhb3/35OB006-Objectives-Periphery.pdf
Enjoy (or suffer, if you like the TC)
>>
>>47330037
Thanks anon
>>
>>47330053
No problem. Always willing to help out another periphery fan
>>
Why does an elementa BA suit only use 0.88 tons out of 1 ton?
>>
>>47327868
>if you like "designated villain" factions, you deserve what you get, and specifically cited the Dracs

Wait, what? Is this some sort of whitewashing for FASA making the Dracs the worst combination of WWII and Edo Japan during the "slap a Jap, they be takin' our jobs" phase in the mid-1980s/early 90s part, like Rising Sun et al? As a longtime Dracfag I want to see some quotes on that.
>>
>>47326608
Idea: SSW has them all in it already, download it.
>>
>>47330492
The worst part is that in later years FASA was making the DC less bad, only for CGL to go and completely reverse every last positive bit of characterization
>>
>>47330878

The Dracs were only "less bad" when they were around to job for the FedCom. As soon as the Twilight of the Clans arc ended they went back to being full retard with most of the DCMS either Black Dragons or so close to being BDs it didn't matter, Theodore and Hohiro being utter morons, and the Alshain Avengers starting shit they couldn't finish. Oh, and the goddamn Draconis Marc ripping the Dracs a new one in the Civil War, only stopping that because Tancred took over and sent those troops to support Victor.

FASA themselves fucked the Dracs over, it was really only in the '57-'60 period that they didn't suck.

Well, and the Dark Age but most of that can be attributed to the Wolf Dragoons and Caleb rather than actual Drac badassery.
>>
>>47330946
>FASA themselves fucked the Dracs over, it was really only in the '57-'60 period that they didn't suck.
Further proving that 3058 is objectively the high point for the BattleTech universe and it was only downhill from there
>>
>>47330878
Damn straight. Even in the early 90s you have Teddy K starting to reform the Combine first as the kanrei and then as Coordinator, with Ho-K looking like another decent coordinator-to-be. You had sympathetic characters like Minobu Tetsuhara and Narimasa Asano, then later people like Uncle Chandy. Looks like the DC is turning into something not like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon...

HAHA NO. Teddy K dead, Ho-K ill, it's the Black Dragons in charge if not in fact then as the grey eminence, and everything's back to all oppression all the time and loading omnimechs for maximum collateral damage.
>>
>>47330878
>>47330946
>>47330961
>>47330978
Now, the real question is: how do we rewrite the DC 3055-3145 to not be shit?
>>
>>47330978

Literally everything you're saying here was FASA's doing, not CGL.

As shit as Ben Rome's cut-and-paste job with HB: HK was, it's not exactly like FASA was committed to letting the Dracs change either.
>>
>>47331034

All you have to do is have the first Black Dragon purge be successful, instead of wave after wave of Black Dragon purges where it turns out that, oops, Black Dragons are the ones *doing* the purging and any actual Black Dragons being swept up are the ones who are either not strict enough or too dumb to be of use to the organisation and most of the "Black Dragons" being wiped out are actually Drac loyalists.

That gets rid of dumb shit like the Alshain Avengers going rogue (they can still be troublesome, mind), lets Theodore reform the DCMS, and makes it so the Dracs aren't bleeding out of every orifice during the Jihad since the Black Dragons haven't stolen half the DCMS and blown up vital factories.

It also means you don't need Caleb derping it up the Dragoons doing all the work in 3145+ since the DCMS will be larger, stronger, and more flexible.
>>
>>47331041
>As shit as Ben Rome's cut-and-paste job with HB: HK was

Wait what?
>>
>>47331041
Didn't Teddy K's death and Hohiro's imprisonment-to-PTSD shutdown and Kiyomori Minamoto's self-appointment as the Kanrei take place in the post-FASA era? I mean I don't remember any indicators of those in the FASA period.

We are in complete agreement re: HBHK though. Fucking hack job.
>>
>>47331097
>spend several years working on one book
>it still sucks
>people still pay money for it
literally why
>>
>>47331093
Large parts were cut and pasted right off the old House Kurita handbook, which was published in the time when FASA was still in the Saturday morning villain DC mode. For instance, HBCC had stuff that rationalised some of the Capellan shittiness as Comstar propaganda or cock-ups (including a planet that was marked as pop. zero in the old house book actually having a billion people). HBHK was still the same old shite.

Such as: the idiotic Dictum Honorarium ("kill all POWs and those who surrender" etc.) whilst we have multiple mentions of Drac POW camps; the idiotic religion-by-caste system and of course the always lovely "Shinto superstition", the anti-Semitism that feels like it was tacked on simply to make the Dracs more evil, etc.
>>
>>47331093

Most of the text in it is either directly lifted or paraphrased from the old Kurita sourcebook.

You knowhow in HB: HL they went back and made it so that although the nation wasn't perfect it wasn't a pants-on-head retarded hellhole of misery and suffering? They went the opposite direction for HB: HK. All the old fluff is objectively correct, the Dracs are pants on head retarded and it's an absolute miracle the nation hasn't just disintegrated.

>>47331097

Hohiro was always a fucking moron.

The rest is backfill by CGL to work with WizKids' (ie, most of the FASA people at the time) decisions about the Dark Age. Which had an obvious Black Dragon as the new Kanrei and a puppet Coordinator. Kiyomori's entry in FM: DC is pretty blatant about him being a Black Dragon too.
>>
>>47331034
>>47331074
REMOVE BLACK DRAGON
REMOVE BLACK DRAGON
Yuo are the worst drac, yuo are the dragon smell
>>
>>47331119

It's worse, anon. It was written and ready for layout for years before they finally published it.

In that time not one CGL staffer though "Hey maybe we should change this so there's a point to buying this over downloading the old House book, which people can do from our website for free."

I legit think Ben Rome sold his soul to the Devil to write Wars of Reaving. Every other project he's headed has been CTRL+CCTRL+V to the max.
>>
>>47331169
>>47331153
>>47331134
>>47331097
Can we start chanting Muninn for Line Dev again or will it trigger that one salty Lyran too much
>>
>>47331034
Idea: as >>47331074 says, the black dragon purge is mostly successful, but the leftovers flee into the periphery, forming this weird combo of a pirate gang and those cubanos who went in at the bay of pigs. Once it's jihad time, they engage in independent fighting against the WoB, maybe even ending up uncomfortable partners in stone's deal. After the jihad, they go underground in the RoTS and start building their own milita with modified industrialmechs and old surplussed panthers and all that good Dark Age shit. Come the blackout, they fight to retake former drac worlds, and later turn on the Coordinator in a bodged coup attempt in the 40. Possibly, they are the reason for the offensive into the FS, with a few black dragons in regimental command go at it and drag the rest of the DCMS in behind them, as relations would have been almost decent from the late 50s on, assuming we're dropping the "everyone is a retard cause we don't know how else to justify our absurd plot points" thing
>>
>>47331169
>I legit think Ben Rome sold his soul to the Devil to write Wars of Reaving
Either that, or someone else wrote it and he only took the credit
>>
>>47331266
That's actually worse, good job anon.

I like the idea of BDS rump state a la Best Korea, but it went off the rails after that
>>
>>47331295
Shit, I have been drinking. That bad, huh? . Any suggestions on how to improve it?
>>
>>47331266
>black dragons go Inna periphery
decent
>black dragons as members of stone's coalition who he doesn't really want but has to take anyways
Breddy Gud idea, needs most explanation
>bodged coup in the DA
Not terrible, but needs to be expanded on
Overall 4/10, needs improvement
>>
>>47331306
>>47331266

I would have had the first part just as that (the Black Dragon purge is successful and they go underground or flee to the Periphery). I mean it worked for the Brotherhood of Cincinnatus (until they crossed the line which the BD had cheerfully strolled over back in the 3050s) and the Citizens for Davion Purity.

I'd have the Black Dragons out of power but be a thorn in the Coordinator's butt doing sedition, hiring pirates and naughty mercenaries for raiding, and stuff like terrorism and murdering pro-Teddy/Hohiro warlords and planetary governors. I'd like them to NOT actually end in power and dragging the Combine back into the dark ages.
>>
>>47331359
>. I'd like them to NOT actually end in power and dragging the Combine back into the dark ages.
I didn't mean that their coup attempt would SUCCEED, just that it would happen and fail at a profoundly inopportune moment for the DCMS and screw up the invasion of the FS, which was a BD scheme anyhow. So you'd have teddy K's grandson, the sane coordinator trying to un-invade the suns without loosing face, and sweep up the black dragons once and for all WHILE trying to grab back drac worlds (like quentin) from the collapsing republic, WHILE trying to keep the clanners off their back. Maybe an offensive against the bears, to coordinate with the wrasslehogs giving independence another try
>>47331351
Thanks, just spitballing here
>>
>>47328224
You can also try some MechMortars with airburst ammo. Fielded on mortar carriers for example. Since you target a hex not a unit it is easy to hit enemy BA (even without -4 for immobile target), also this ammo is area effect so one shell will damage all troopers at once.
>>
>>47328224
The problem is that tanks are big soft targets as far as most BA are concerned. After all, BA are mobile cluster weapon minefields.
>>
>>47332432
That's why you use the damage threshold rules for vehicles.
>>
Why does mekhq consider a 270 ton lance to be an "assault lance"? That's less than 70 tons per mech.
>>
>>47332566
Damage threshold makes vees weaker, not stronger..
>>
Gas the Caps space war now
>>
>>47332859
...how? It makes them immune to motive crits from things like LBX and SRMs?
>>
File: 4SWA lance weights.jpg (219 KB, 844x1106) Image search: [Google]
4SWA lance weights.jpg
219 KB, 844x1106
>>47332589
It uses the old lance weight limits from the 4th Succession War Atlas.
>>
File: The Fox.png (629 KB, 800x1164) Image search: [Google]
The Fox.png
629 KB, 800x1164
>>47333245
We need a new Hanse.
>>
>>47329663
>>47329717
I know mentioning the TC can be opening a can of worms, but there does seem to be a slight dislike of them by CGL. For example, I was surprised to see their front completely excluded in the Reunification War historical intro section despite being the main and longest front of the war.
From what I understand a good portion is caused by a clash of personalities on the OF.
>>
>>47334296
>I was surprised to see their front completely excluded in the Reunification War historical intro section
What section are they excluded from? page 44, and then the whole chapter of 65-95?

>>47334296
>clash of personalities on the OF
Has no bearing on what gets written, despite what anyone promises or threatens.
>>
>>47335131
>What section are they excluded from?
> historical intro section
>>
File: 1436751631694.jpg (58 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1436751631694.jpg
58 KB, 720x405
>>47335131
>quoting the same post twice
OF friend still learning the ropes here?
>>
File: Mars.gif.png (297 KB, 1164x1031) Image search: [Google]
Mars.gif.png
297 KB, 1164x1031
So for my upcoming Clanner conventionals game I'm likely to be a Smoke Jaguar.

For those with more experience using Clan vehicles, what are some models you'd recommend? I'm considering going heavy and assault since my fluff tactical options are "Jag" and "Jag Harder"
>>
>>47335283
First hurdle: The Jags don't really go for combat vees. Second, here's the MUL for the Jags in the CI: http://masterunitlist.info/Era/FactionEraDetails?FactionId=20&EraId=13
>>
>>47335361
Nice, it cut off the rest of my post. Anyway, I'd recommend mostly Royal vehicles, with a smattering of other Clan designs for a little variety.
>>
>>47334296
It's not that any of the writers dislike the TC, it's that none of them actually LIKE the TC, so it gets alternatingly forgotten or screwed over in the service of some bigger plot point. It isn't spite, it's just that nobody is around to say "maybe we should give the taurians their own plot" at the writing table
>>
>>47335361
In this case at least it shouldn't be a hurdle. With all their mechs going to their frontline and secondline clusters, we'll probably be full-on solahma.
The only vehicles I can see reference to the Jags using are the Donar and Indra, so I'll just pick some heavy general use Clan tanks.
>>
>>47335616
Avoid the Mars. It doesn't qualify for "Jag 3:The Jaggest" because it's quite damn slow.
>>
>>47335859
Thanks for the advice.

Looking at some of the other Clan tanks I have to say some of the designs are really ugly. The Mithras looks like a tractor with guns on it.

The Ishtar and Oro are all current heavy options. Ku, Hachiman and Ares for medium. And the Mithras, Zorya for light, with the Svantovit for carrying my infantry. The Odin and Asshur are very light but iirc the Jags still use really light mechs even in some of their head-on attacks so maybe it would allow me to Jag 4: A Good Day to Jag Hard
>>
>>47334296
>>47335549
>It's not that any of the writers dislike the TC
Nah, coleman pretty clearly does, for whatever reason
>>
>>47336107
>Looking at some of the other Clan tanks I have to say some of the designs are really ugly.
TROs 3060 and 3067 are a helluva drug, unfortunately
>>
>>47335361
Anyone else having trouble with this? I can't get anything but the mechs tab to load for anything, am wondering if this is fucking up on my end or theirs.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.