[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: bridge to spired palace.jpg (223 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bridge to spired palace.jpg
223 KB, 1024x768
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
>>47036540

>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Worldbuilding Edition

What are you putting in your game world? What are you leaving out?
>>
>>47051735
>What are you putting in your game world?
As little as I can to facilitate the player's desires and character goals.

>What are you leaving out?
Anything that would force me to do more prep than almost none at all.

My players love it.
>>
Where the fuck is UA?
>>
>>47053186

Unearthed Arcana. Every month, Wizards would put out a few kits for free for some classes. Try out other backgrounds and races.
>>
>>47051735

Sorry my dudes, forgot to fill in the subject line on this one.
>>
>>47053211
Where nigga, not what.
>>
>>47051735
That bridge would collapse under its own weight immediately as it is subjected to the force of gravity.
>>
File: baby.jpg (142 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
baby.jpg
142 KB, 612x612
Can anyone tell me the exact difference between a paladin and a cleric, both gameplay and flavor?

Also, paladin vs cleric/warrior (in terms of build)?
>>
File: 1446713243603.jpg (64 KB, 778x676) Image search: [Google]
1446713243603.jpg
64 KB, 778x676
>>47053186
seriously dude. it's a day late and i need my fucking fix.
>>
Someone please link to pdf of players handbook not on mega
>>
>>47053285
cleric is a priest/crusader
paladin is a shining knight

war cleric / fighter is an awesome multiclass choice
>>
>>47053293
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>>
>>47048541
>>47048745
>>47049337

What >>47049337 said. But I would be interested to see if there are strangulation rules. I guess opposed strength check to get and maintain the stranglehold. But I don't know how many rounds it would require - perhaps the creature's constitution modifier (minimum 1)? I guess that's the same rule as asphyxiation, but it makes sense I figure.
>>
>>47053293
>>47047370
>>47047258
Fucking really? Go and download it on your computer and email it to yourself. Stop asking the general to spoonfeed you, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>47053372
I can't use email here
Please help
Please
>>
>>47053443

Sorry, piracy is only for people with an IQ above 70. Figure it out yourself.
>>
>>47051735
Well, the moon is a hollow spaceship built by reptilian aliens, so there's that.
>>
>>47053285
Clerics are more holy, Paladins are more fighty.
>>
>>47053698
>hollow
>what is gravity?
>what are tidal forces?
>>
what about an elf barbarian who is 400 years old, was a gladiator and loves the fight and spirit of battle
Would you let me sit on your table
>>
>>47053759

No, I wouldn't let you sit on my table, I need that space for books and minis. We have chairs for sitting you fucking savage.
>>
>>47053815
sorry im into scat so before a session when nobody is there yet starts I sit on the table and far as hard as I can all over everything
The idea of people holding the far stained stinky sheets and pencils and maps turns me on so hard I leave to fap sometimes in the bathroom
>>
>>47053835
This one's going on reddit XD
>>
>>47053756
I don't know. What are those things anon? Are they magic spells?
>>
>>47051735
>Worldbuilding Edition
>What are you putting in your game world? What are you leaving out?

Fuck yea my favorite edition!

I have actually started drawing inspiration from some of the vidya that I play. Being a denizen of both /Tg/ and /Vg/ I play a lot of rpgs and such, but the games that I'm using for inspiration here are Magic the Gathering and Minecraft for the most part.

Basically I have become addicted to modding Minecraft, and even though I'm still very new to the experience, I've decided I absolutely love some of the ideas presented in the game. Namely the fact that there are some monsters you fight that spawn naturally (Witches, zombies, etc.), along with those supernatural beings that can be found (Endermen, Blitzes, Creepers), and stuff that only seems to spawn underground (Slimes, creepers to an extent). But one of the "Boss" monsters in the game is one that you have to build to defeat, which is an interesting idea in and of itself, but the best part of Minecraft, I've found, is that I absolutely love going to other realms/dimensions to do stuff. Going to the Nether (hell), or The End, or the Twilight Forest, or Aroma's Mining world, or the Mystcraft dimensions. That, combined with the Lorwyn block, makes me want to make alternate worlds and dimensions that the PC's can adventure in, and use to fight the BBEGs in my world.

I'll also be using the Eldrazi notes and hopefully some of the other races from the Zendikar planeshift article, which will tie in with the other dimensions that you can go to through either mystical rituals or portals you can construct.

That, and hopefully including things like dirigibles and subtle allusions to the world having used to be more of a sci-fi setting should do the trick to make the world an interesting place to explore. Nothing that's outright scifi but a few hints here and there would work.
>>
How would I play a Paladin/Bard? I'm thinking so far that I am a Holy Knight with magical roots. I'll take Oath of Devotion and College of Lore as a half-elf. While remaining truthful and dutiful to my god, I use my musical talent to spread the gospel and good will. I'm more so of a preacher and protector than a crusader. Any ideas, /sug/?
>>
>>47053259

They're available in the Mega trove (In the Rulebooks slot under Unearthed Arcana).

Or you can hunt them down @ WoTC's website.
>>
File: fug.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>47053967
SHIT SHIT I MEANT /5eg/! FUCK.
>>
>>47053986
>>
>>47053967
How do you play a bars I'm general
I want role play ideas for >>47053759
Too
I just love other people's ideas so much I respect you guys and want to see you imaginations
>>
File: 1442626502431.gif (404 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1442626502431.gif
404 KB, 342x342
What is the most unconventional character idea per class? I'm primarily looking for ones that would be fun/interesting to play.

Peaceful barbarian, bard who actually doesn't know anything, rogue who hunts thieves etc?
>>
>>47054031
GNOME BARBARIAN XD
>>
File: 1442208747078.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1442208747078.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>>47054041
>fun/interesting to pla
>>
File: unsolicited_opinions_on_Israel.png (111 KB, 523x494) Image search: [Google]
unsolicited_opinions_on_Israel.png
111 KB, 523x494
>>47054014
Speaking from experience here. Well, as a Bard you are an artist above all else. You express yourself through your style, nuances and instruments in ways other classes can't. So make sure you flesh out and role play your Bard's subtleties Secondly, you are bound to have high Charisma, so you are the party face of sorts. You handle negotiations and diplomacy, so put yourself in a premier social position. You should be able to strike up convo with anyone. Lastly you are a skill monkey, you get a lot of proficiencies. Make often use of them. Hope this helps, Merry Travels!
>>
>>47054031
I just got finished with a Druid with the Noble background- backstory was an ambassador sent from the druid enclaves to the cities, who liked living under a roof so much she decided to stay and enjoy the comforts of civilization.
>>
>>47054130
But I'm a shy schizo boy with speech impediment /accent in real life and a voice that is often more of a whisper
>>
>>47054260
Oh, that's quite a road bump. For the more quiet player, I would recommend a more concise approach. Perhaps your Bard could rely more so on the instrument. Instead of a lute, you could always choose a wind instrument like the horn, flute or the unorthodox option: the bagpipes. I don't know much of what to do beyond that, your Bard is unfortunately going to have to adjust to fit your limitations. My apologies, I don't have to deal with what you have, so my advice may be flawed.
>>
>When the owlbear rolls two crits
>>
>>47054418
context? and damage rolls?
>>
>>47051735
>In
Reworked Dark Elves, Orcs, Halfbreeds for more races
>Out
Rock Gnomes
>>
File: dark souls hype.gif (576 KB, 173x241) Image search: [Google]
dark souls hype.gif
576 KB, 173x241
>running CoS for newbies
>wizard joins the party
>+0 con mod, rolls for HP
>11 HP at 3rd level
>they fight some dire wolves thrown at them by Strahd to test their abilities after they defeated Lorghoth
>one dire wolf runs around the rest to flank the party, as wolves are wont to do
>bites the wizard
>critical hit
>22 damage
Don't dump con, kids.
>>
>>47051735

I'm running the Forgotten Realms with the SCAG and Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition's understanding of what the fuck goes on there, beyond that I'm making it up as I go.

None of my players know that much about it which helps immensely, one's a 4rry who knows a fair bit about that game's lore but generally accepts that any differences are just how it is in 5e/Realms. One's a former Pathfinder player whose old groups never bothered paying attention to the setting lore (and why would you with that atrocious kitchen sink) and is thus effectively new to the whole thing. The rest all started with 5e.

Last time I tried to build a world I got too enamoured of the worldbuilding itself, trying to be cool and different and the actual campaign ended up being an incoherent disaster, so now I'm going with something a little more safe until I trust myself to try again.
>>
>>47054499
1) Was he butthurt?
2) Why didn't he have a better strategy than "I'll stay at the back" or at least some contingency?
>>
>>47054418
>tfw the player crits his holy water and wins death house.
>>
File: Gnoll.jpg (87 KB, 640x880) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll.jpg
87 KB, 640x880
>>47054031
I'm working on a gnoll runt of a rogue who's too scared to engage in hand-to-hand but also too loyal to the party to just run away from combat since they took the place of his old pack.

He's a bit dim, a bit of a coward, and he pretty much had to be sneaky to not get pounded into the dirt before he ran away from his tribe. So you get a character who's too dumb to be duplicitous and too loyal to steal from other members of the party (except maybe when he sneaks one of their eggs at breakfast) but still comes equipped with the skills of a competent burglar.

A kinda funny quirk I imagine him having; he's the first one to come running when a member of the party is getting harassed by thugs are assholes in the market or something, but his cowardice also means he's probably the first one to back down when faced with violent confrontation (at least if they're roughly his size or larger).
>>
Any news about splatbooks or something like SCAG and EG for more options?
>>
>>47054964
This ain't hsg nor /vg/
>>
>>47054992
I should really check which thread I have open before I post.
>>
>>47054978

There's new, free PDF with race options in the OP.
>>
>>47051735

Minotaurs that are actually genetically engineered soldiers designed to fight mind flayers.

The world is a giant sea with a literal end where the water flows off into nothingness. There's also another sea under the first one that can only be accessed in the world's equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle.

No midget races.
>>
>>47053285
A Cleric is somebody who gets their powers by following / worshiping a God.

A Paladin is somebody who gets their powers through a sacred oath they have taken.
>>
Yo, it's the not!Wuxia dude again. I've got a fair amount of highly versatile movement and combat abilities thanks to all you guys' help the other day, but now I'm stumped trying to think of abilities that might be useful in a social context as well as a combat scenario.
Best I can think of is something like:

Vivid Acting: You are a brilliant performer who can seamlessly mix your mastery of fighting and storytelling in ways that keep an audience rapt with attention.

Something something Str or Dex bonus to Perform when storytelling. Anyone watching willingly must pass a check equal to Perform +Str or Dex or become charmed by your performance if outside of combat.

In combat, they have disadvantage when targeting any opponent who isn't you, and this lasts for 1d4 rounds or however long you decide to perform, whichever is lowest.
>>
>>47055666
Here's something I was working on for a monk homebrew

>foresight of the glorious general
Your incredible tactical mind allows you to plan out the day in such vivid detail as to shock most individuals. Choose 3 different Skills or abilities. Until your next long rest, any time your DM calls for a roll using any skill or ability, you can instead roll using one of the chosen skills or abilities, as your keen mind has allowed you to plan for just this moment.
You can only use each chosen skill or ability this way once per long rest. (e.g. you can only use this feature three times per long rest).
>>
>>47055759
Oops, the feature should let you choose 3 different skills each long rest.
>>
>>47055776
I dunno, something about that doesn't sit well with me. Can't put my finger on it, but I smell cheese.
Still, thank you for the idea. I might be able to modify it to fit in line with the others.
>>
>>47055666
Oh, that reminds me. Like the other two abilities I got reviewed a while back, these are supposed to grow better or gain extra features over time, to show their eventual mastery.

If I'm keeping Vivid Acting, it'd probably become something like Enchanting Tales or Immersive Imagery.
Out of combat, your acting becomes so good that people naturally fill in the blanks to your pantomimes, thereby enriching themselves more in the performance. From their perspective, your tale has evolved from masterful acting to almost transporting them into the story you've woven. People watching willingly now have disadvantage on their saves, and anyone not explicitly ignoring the performance must make the check.

In-combat? Your imagery becomes more frightful, with the flickers of your imaginary thrusts and swings haunting whomever is watching. On a successful save, they must spend twice the movement when within 30 feet of you, and on a fail, become frightened for 1d4 rounds.
>>
>>47055436
I mean something more ample. The pdf is a partial letdown with most creatures, in particolar with Eldrazis
>>
What are the chances a warlock player is going to be pissed off if I tell him his patron is a figment of his imagination?
>>
>>47056113
Are you the GM? then:
if you didn't discuss it with him first? 50/50. You really shouldn't usurp character creation like that. It should be a collaborative process between the two of you, so discuss it first.

Are you a player?
Doesn't matter.
>>
Reminder that warlock is the most balanced class.
>>
>>47056210
I'm the DM and my players prefer to dick off instead of actually roleplay their characters. But this is the same player that complains about not being able to skip his turn.
>>
>>47056271
It's balanced but is also quite weak because of how they balanced it. However, I've enjoyed playing a fiend patron tomelock in OotA.
>>
>>47056391
It's more powerful than other classes at a much lower level. I've always taken into account when making a build that the more levels you have to wait for a power, the less likely it will be that you'll get there before the campaign ends.
>>
>>47056425
It's slightly stronger at level two than other classes but if your concentration on hex is broken or if you don't take the agonizing blast invocation then you will be overall much weaker than other casters until level 11+.
>>
>>47056486
>the best damaging at will ability
>a handful of other spells and at will powers for utility
>not one of the most well rounded and intuitive classes in the game
Sure.
>>
>>47056582
Are you talking about hex or agonizing blast? Also, you at best get three other non at will spells per day, assuming you get a short rest in. Most of the at will abilities are gimmicks that don't help against higher CR foes. Even the decent ones require higher levels or have restrictions.

Overall, they are good enough but I would not call them the best of anything.
>>
>>47056740
Hex isn't at will, I think he's talking about the eldritch blast invocations.

Question for /tg/. What's your standard ASI/Feat tree look like? Do you usually keep your starting ability Scores (whether from point-buy, st. array, or rolled) and choose a bunch of feats? Do you usually take a single feat per character (something like tavern brawler or magic initiate?) and bump a couple Abiility Scores up to 16/18?

There are so many feats that could help my character but he also needs to have a good spellsave. He's an arcane trickster grappler with fighter starting class so he gets Heavy Armor. I made strength his highest stat and int next, but should I make intelligence the highest and focus on that since he's got expertise in athletics and the strength modifier doesn't come up aside from for ability checks (sneak attack doesn't benefit hugely from damage modifiers).
>>
>>47056859

Planning out builds isn't terribly smart, since most games only run for a span of 5 or 6 levels. Just choose what you think will help you most when you level.

It's really not a very complex game, there's no point in buildwanking and theorycrafting about it.
>>
>>47056916
I've only had that problem with inconsistent groups. If everyone agrees to the schedules and the DM is decent then the games can last much longer. Currently I'm playing though OotA with a warlock who is now level 7.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Grappler.png (354 KB, 474x484) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Grappler.png
354 KB, 474x484
>>47056916
Yeah, I guess. Good point. Now, what do you guys think of the Grappler feat
-one of the errata omits the final benefit, stating that it refers to a non-existant rule
-the second benefit is literally pointless
>"use your action to make a contested strength check to restrain yourself"
>you can, without the feat, use (one of) your attack action(s) to knock your enemy prone
>prone, combined with the grapple (which is already active), imposes almost all the same penalties to the foe without imposing the three penalties of the restrained condition on yourself
>if you want to grant your foe disadvantage on dex saving throws because you want to subject them to dex-save AoEs from an ally, then using the pin "benefit" of this feat will grant you disadvantage on your saving throw as well
>if you just knock the enemy prone, you can still use half your movement speed while maintaining the grapple (and the prone)

Did WotC ever release a fix for this feat? Did they ever try to justify it or admit that it was a godawful mistake? Because this is, without a doubt, the worst feat in the game.
>>
>>47057087
Oh, and in most cases, the first "benefit" is also pointless. As stated in the above post, you can use an attack action to knock an enemy prone, a condition wherein your attacks against him are made with advantage. This benefit is actually useful to my grappling rogue because he only gets one attack per turn, so pairing this with Tavern Brawler yields a significant benefit (I can sneak attack and grapple on my first turn and on all my subsequent turns I can sneak attack without needing to waste a turn or more attempting to knock prone).

Also worthy of note, the feat's ONLY TWO benefits straight up contradict eachother!
>Advantage on attack rolls against grappled creature
>Use your action to pin the creature, granting yourself disadvantage on attack rolls
>"you get advantage"
>"you get disadvantage"
Which literally translates to
>"You get nothing!"

With Grappler, you get to forego an ASI to get LITERALLY NOTHING. Video related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ
>>
>>47057142
As someone who constantly plays grapplers, this feat is useless, hell, I take shield master, tavern brawler and martial adept much more often
>>
Relevant, my DM still hasn't confirmed I can play this but fingers crossed
>>
>>47057493
Last sentense in 14th level ability is completely useless. There is no size restrictions for grappling in 5e.
>>
>>47057470
I guess that Martial Adept -> Tripping Attack would be better for granting advantage to my rogue. But it would only be once per day, so that kinda sucks.

Any tips?
>>
>>47057547
Once per short rest. Read carefully.
>>
>>47057539
You move at half speed when dragging a guy you're grappling
>>
>>47057547
Trip, disarm and drag, frighten, and the defensive ones are useful
>>
>>47057568
Oh, yeah, you're right. I'm just used to my first campaign where we had an encounter a day (if we were lucky to get an encounter at all), so we never used short rests. But still, only get to do it on one target per fight and he gets the chance to nope it. Even then, if he breaks the grapple then bam, shit outta luck.

>>47057606
>>47057568
I have a level in fighter (for heavy armor proficiency) and I'm taking the rest in rogue. The plan is to grapple targets, stay with them every round jabbing with a rapier for sneak attacks. Also planning on implementing some arcane trickster spell shenanigans but that isn't relevant for my question:
>Fighting Style:
Defense for the +1 AC (handy considering i'll be right in there with the enemy) or Duelist for +2 damage per attack -> this one doesn't seem worth it because it doesn't stack well with the rogue (it stacks alright with fighter who gets extra attacks)?
>>
>>47057539
Yes there are, you can only grapple up to 1 size category higher than yourself, plus >>47057579
>>
>>47057642
I would go with defense because you will have a very hostile, very desperate enemy clawing at you every turn, also 5 more levels in fighter might be useful, on account of action surge, battlemaster manouvers, extra attack and 2 ASI/feats

I rarely ever multiclass into fighter without getting at least to 6
>>
How are zendikar vampires created? Why have they human only base?
>>
>>47053950
I can't tell if this is satire or if you're actually convinced that what you're doing is in any way inspired.

Either way, I'm fascinated.
>>
>>47057748
I think I can make up for the lack of fighter levels by getting tricky with Arcane Trickster spells. I'm hoping I make it to level 15 so I can take Fly for awesome falling damage shenanigans.
>>
>>47051735
> In
Islands, oceans, ships, couple racial templates, reworked Halflings due to group thinking hobbits are lame, something like warforged, bronze-age conventional technology married to 19th-century industrialism run on magic.

> out
Gnomes, dragonborn, tieflings, half-anythings (again, players didn't want 'em; they're now either templates or subraces), not much else.
>>
>>47057818
Cut him some slack guy, everyone starts somewhere
>>
On roll20, I'm trying to make Mage Hand Legerdemain - Pickpocket a Class Action that rolls and calculates my Sleight of Hand check without me manually entering the bonus values (eg: Stow or retrieve one object from a container as a bonus action; [[1d20+10]] vs target's perception.)
>>
Barbarian or Fighter at lvl 5?
>>
>>47058304
cont (accidentally posted without finishing)

How do I go about this? I've been trying for a while and I can't seem to figure it out. I'm using
https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Character_Sheet#Using_attributes.2Frolls_from_the_sheet_in_your_own_macros
for reference. Pls help.
>>
>>47057493
Seems balanced, just an angry monk with less monk abilities.
>>
So what are fun ways of breaking 5e besides cleric of fluffiness?
>>
>>47053756
The net gravity within the interior of a hollow sphere is zero at any point. The moonship has a negligible effect on the planet's gravity.

The planet experiences no tides. They are unnecessary to the reptoids' purpose.
>>
>>47058330
That put a smile on my face, thanks for the physics banter anon.
>>
>>47057493
>how to kill the monk class
>>
>>47058371
If the monk wanted to live, he should have gone to college and got a decent job.
>>
>>47058323
>>47058304
Figured it out, guys. For those curious:

"Stow or retrieve one object from a container as a bonus action [[1d20+@{sleightofhand}]]"

Yields the output phrase with a die roll with all relevant modifiers to the skill specified added.
>>
>>47058371
Some people want to be shaolin masters that can jump buildings and do the 5 finger death punch, others want to be shadow-walking ninjas, others just want to punch shit good
>>
>>47057755
They all came from another plane(t), Innistrad, to fuck up eldritch pyramid creatures.
>>
>>47057755
Sorin Markov spread vampirism when he came to Zendikar IIRC, and vampires on Innistrad were created from humans by blood magic.
>>
>>47057142
>Tavern Brawler
>I can sneak attack and grapple on my first turn
You only get the bonus action grapple of Tavern Brawler if the triggering attack is made unarmed or with an improvised weapon, so keep that in mind. You can't use a shortsword, but you can use a medium-sized sharpened stick.

A shove also can't be the triggering attack, so you would have to knock them down on your second turn, delaying sneaks further. And your first turn sneak attack would require a nearby ally, since you don't have the enemy prone yet to get advantage.

All of this is alleviated if you've got Trip Attack somehow and can make your first attack (which triggers the bonus grapple) apply the knockdown.
>>
>>47057032
>a span of 5 or 6 levels
If you start at level 1, getting to 7 is a span of 6.
I'll pour a cold one out in honor of your soon-to-be-dead game.
>>
>>47053950
>I absolutely love going to other realms/dimensions to do stuff
What if I told you stock Forgotten Realms has something like 41 planes, with a good chunk of them having what are essentially mini-planes or levels to them which can be vastly different one from the next?
>>
File: ffpitch.jpg (22 KB, 416x289) Image search: [Google]
ffpitch.jpg
22 KB, 416x289
>>47058478
>>47058439
Guys, guys, hear me out here:
What if.. InniSTRAHD?
>>
>>47058479
>You only get the bonus action grapple of Tavern Brawler if the triggering attack is made unarmed or with an improvised weapon
Yeah, I know. It's kinda stupid, there should be a feat that grapple mechanic of Tavern Brawler without requiring unarmed/improvised IMO. But I am aware and I'm using improvised weapons for the first attack JUST to satisfy the feat conditions. I'm sure that the intent is to keep it balanced, so that you don't get a d8 weapon attack AND a bonus action grapple check. This limits us to d4 weapon attack and grapple. Or am I mistaken; if you use a fire poker or whatever that resembles a rapier, would it be considered an improvised weapon and retain the damage dice of a rapier?

>A shove also can't be the triggering attack, so you would have to knock them down on your second turn, delaying sneaks further. And your first turn sneak attack would require a nearby ally, since you don't have the enemy prone yet to get advantage.
That's why I mentioned that pairing Tavern Brawler with Grappler provides the specific benefit of permitting my sneak attack on the turn following the grapple. Also, the plan is to sneak up on the target in the first place for Unseen Target advantage. We play with flanking rules also, so I can grant the advantage on sneak attack anyway. Alternatively, I could be a tricky bastard and:
>invisible mage hand legerdemain a pouch of gold coins at his feet
>rush in on surprise round and attack with advantage
>>
>>47058613
If your improvised weapon is close enough to an actual weapon, you can use the actual weapon's stats at your DM's discretion. So a fire poker is probably too fat and heavy for a rapier despite being a long, skinnier-than-a-sword-or-club metal object, but a car antenna that you've sharpened to a point would work. inb4 rapier thickness debate
>>
So tell me if this is a dumb rule before I inflict it on my players:

I'm thinking of having Fatigue as kind of a 7th ability score - it would always start at 10 at character creation, so it would have a +0 modifier to its related saving throw. In a more horror-oriented champaign, a player would roll a Fatigue saving throw when some kind of horrible, PTSD-inducing shit happens in front of them, like a comrade dying horribly or being mind-raped by extra-planar entities. If they fail, they lose one point in the ability, and therefore their modifier would get worse, making it harder to succeed. At 0 Fatigue, the PC just becomes an empty husk, functionally dead.

However, if the players score a real victory over things that would normally induce a Fatigue roll, they would again roll a saving throw - but if they succeed, they GAIN one point of Fatigue, making them more likely to pass in the future.

Obviously, this would only make sense in a deadlier campaign, but is the idea behind it sound?
>>
>>47058478
>Sorin Markov spread vampirism when he came to Zendikar IIRC
Pretty wrong.
Zendikar vampires have nothing to do with innistrad ones, they're spawns of Ulamogh infected by an eldritch curse, they aren't dead actually, they just look dead.
>>
>>47058371
Deal with it, monk is a shitty class.
>>
>>47058639
That's pretty much the sanity variant rule from the DMG with a CoC/DG twist

Read the sanity rules, they also have some nifty tables for short, long term, and indefinite madness
>>
>>47058639

There are already sanity rules written up in the DMG that are much better than your proposed subsystem. Go read those and tweak until you're satisfied.
>>
>>47058326

Erase all the numbers on your character sheet and replace them with +45. You'll break the shit out of the game, and everyone will think you're really cool for doing so.
>>
>>47058326
Simulacrum
Wish
And other, of course, caster stuff
>>
>>47058326
The only thing that effectively breaks 5e is Wish, which only shows up at the far-high end of the game and can be stopped with a simple "No, you can't take Wish." And restricting it doesn't really decrease a high-level wizard's/sorcerer's/bard's/arcana cleric's power, since there are other great 9th level spells to take.
>>
>>47058785
>>47058821
I actually allow wish, but unless they use it wisely or stick to the examples given I will twist the ever-loving shit out of whatever they ask for, and I warned the players

There is no such thing as a perfect wish
>>
>>47058716
>>47058732
Welp, serves me right for not reading all the way through the DMG. That being said, would it be fair to add a negative modifer to the madness effects? The one thing I don't like about these Sanity rules is that the score itself seems too constant (which probably comes from my introduction to tabletop being CoC).

Thanks guys
>>
>>47058953
The system D&D uses is balanced on the madness effects as negative consequences for failure, you can definitely fit a fluid sanity score in that, especially if you want it to be a horrir campaign. I'm a big fan of the CoC/DG sanity system
>>
>>47058953

>would it be fair

That's up to your players and the expectations they bring to the table. If they want their characters to get fucked over by the unknowable horrors of the universe, by all means give them that. It's no accident that another Cthulhu mythos RPG comes out every few months or so—people seem to like that kind of game. Just make sure your players know that's what they're signing up for, because most people will expect something very different from D&D.

I would probably not give them penalties to their various combat abilities or abilities, just because I think that's boring design. I'd rather have them start collecting various mental ailments that grow more and more severe, things that drive them to behave in insane ways. I think the existing rules in the DMG do that really well. They're fairly trivial if the players have access to greater restoration, though, so either keep the game at lower levels, or tweak the spell a bit—maybe it can only reduce the severity, and repeated castings over the course of a week or more are necessary to really cure madness.
>>
>>47051735
Related question: how have you changed monsters, especially iconic ones, to fit your group's setting?

For example, how are dragons different in a world where they're not the children of two cosmically-opposed god-beasts?
>>
When multiple people get hit by an aoe spell, do you roll the damage for each person separately, or roll once and hit every target with that?
>>
So, would you allow reverse pick pocketing alchemist fire into an enemy with mage hand ledgerdomain, then eldritch blasting them from afar to blow up the vial, then using a familiar to drop a bag of flour onto them?
>>
>>47059390
Roll once.
>>
>>47059440
Yes, yes... meh. And I'd give inspiration for it too.
>>
>>47059440
What's the flour for?
>>
>>47059515
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFv1TvR-snQ
>>
>>47059590
Fucking lol, this is the item that a familiar can use that I've been looking for; thanks anon.

Also, those fucking retarded normies...
>"WOAH LOL SO EPIC XD TOM CRUISE XDD"
So much fucking cringe, was really hoping to witness an injury.
>>
Bloodthirst is the opposite of 5e spirit, isn't fast, isn't simple and isn't intuitive, it looks like something from 3.5 or PF. Good job there wotc.
>>
>>47059678
I didn't listen to the audio. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>47058326
Cleric of fluffiness?
>>
>>47059709
I like it and you can't stop me
>>
>>47059480
What are some other things I could do with the combination of mage hand and a familiar?
>>
>>47059971
Get people to watch your monkey familiar dance while you relieve them of their coin.
>>
>>47059971
Lift women's skirts with mage hand, while using your familiar to get the perfect view angle.
>>
>>47059971
Assuming rogue
>crossbow expert
>dual hand crossbows

Round 1
>fire first xbow using action
>fire second xbow as a bonus action with two-weapon fighting
>familiar takes and reloads the left-hand xbow on its turn (prepares its action to do so if its on initiative before you)

Round 2
>fire the right-hand xbow using your action (with crossbow expert, loading the ammunition in is part of the attack)
>take the left-hand xbow from your familiar using your free action
>fire left-hand xbow using bonus action

Repeat

Enjoy your 2d6+dex+sneak attack from range every turn.
>>
>>47060143
Oops, fucked that up

Round 2
>fire the right-hand xbow using your action (with crossbow expert, loading the ammunition in is part of the attack)
>take the left-hand xbow from your familiar using your free action
>fire left-hand xbow using bonus action
>familiar takes and reloads the left-hand xbow on its turn

Subsequent Rounds
>repeat procedure from Round 2
>>
>>47060143
Or you fire a single hand xbow twice and you don't have to pay for an extoneone or have your familiar do shit a ND you still deal the same damage
>>
>>47060143
But with crossbow expert you can just use the first crossbow for both attacks AND get your dex bonus on both.
>>
>>47060205
Oh yeah. Never mind.
>extoneone
wat
>familiar do shit a ND you
wat

>>47060217
Oopsies. I've never used the feat myself, I totally fucked up, automatically assumed that you had to use an offhand weapon for the second attack. I'll try to come up with something cool involving hand crossbow and familiar.
>>
>>47060245
My smartphone is an asshole
Extra one*
And*
>>
>>47051735
Adventure, mystery, treasure, glory, and nearly-certain death

>What are you leaving out?
Most of the character options from the PHB and all of the character options from the UA. Essentially the Basic Rules PDF minus demihumans, plus a few class archetypes and the feats.
>>
>>47051735
I'm the DM with the Mongolhobo party from last thread, contemplating what consequences I could present to "subtly" persuade them not to rape and murder everyone.

The three main options i'm considering are introducing a spiteful Revenant for every few innocents they kill, bringing in a second party of adventurers to rival them or having the town guard from the nearest city come in and put them on trial.

I really don't want to railroad them into doing what I want by saying "no you can't do that", but I don't want them to just fuck everything up without consequences coming into place.
>>
Rolled 2, 5 = 7 (2d6)

>>47059971
>>47060217
>>47060205
Okay, if you are running out of bolts, the mage hand can retrieve them (whether they didn't break AC or whether they are sticking out of the enemy) as a bonus action and the familiar can retrieve two on its turn. So you fire two per round and retrieve a max of 3 (fuck off with the irretrievable ammunition shit, at least permit bolts that hit to be retrieved and roll for if they are lost if they completely miss).

I'll keep trying with a crossbow one because I know that those aren't very cool.

Mage hand and familiar can apply poison to your weapons.
>>
>>47060348
I'm not familiar with your party from previous posts, but if they're mongol-like, there is probably some kind of clan or tribe structure out there that is concerned about their reputation. If the party is behaving in such a way as to embarrass the tribe or to stir up trouble for them, they may have to sweep their own doorstep and straighten the punks out.
>>
What would be the best archetype to combine with a battlemaster fighter? We're starting a campaign at level 5 and I made a battlemaster with decent str and dex scores and tavern brawler so i'm thinking of going into rogue after level 6 for athletics expertise, cunning action and some other fun shenanigans so I could go:

-Assassin
>Second expertise goes in Stealth, do some neat sneak attack crits at the beginning of combat

-Thief
>using items with bonus actions could be great to do stuff like shoving acid down an enemy's throat

-Mastermind
>help people within 30 feet as a bonus action is pretty freaking neat

Not considering AT or Swashbuckler because my int and cha are low

Thoughts?

Also, how many levels of rogue? Most features I want are in the first few levels so if I only do 4 I get what I need and don't miss out on the fighter's 3rd attack or any ASIs
>>
>>47060418
I just use mongol in the sense that they are several steps above plain murderhobo. they arrive in a village and immediately plan out how they are going to kill some dude and rape his wife, just by looking at a house on the map which was labled "[Male name] and [Female name]'s house"
>>
>>47060307
The fuck are you running, game of thrones?
>no feats
No thanks
>>
>>47060501
Oh nevermind I'm an idiot that can't read
>>
>>47060465
Oh. Just tell the players you'd like them to stop doing that, that's not the kind of game you're really interested in running for them. How would you rather they behaved? Express your preference.
>>
>>47060545
I've talked to them and they said they would shape up and start doing quests but part of me thinks that won't last too long. I would rather they behaved like people who aren't psychopaths that rape and murder people with absolutely 0 justification.

Might just completely alter the story so they are the bad guys the way it's going.
>>
>>47060582
It sounds like they already changed the story so they're the bad guys. The magic of player agency.
>>
6-8 encounters a day seems insane. What kind of silly adventurer would do that?

Can I just do 3-4 deadly/super deadly encounters and call it a day?
>>
>>47061187
Where is this number coming from? In my campaign (DM sucks so keep this in mind) we probably end up in one encounter every 4 days (and we aren't just bumming around in a city or anything). It's boring as shit.
>>
>>47060582
They're already pretty much the bad guys, Turn it into an evil campaign! There's several cool good and neutral-aligned creatures in the MM that barely see any use.

And be sure to send some Revenants after them as well. At CR 5, they're a threat to be reckoned with. They encounter one looking for revenge, and probably will defeat it without so much trouble. After a while, though, the many Revenants they created in their path start banding together and the party will have to do something about it if they don't want to be swarmed every day. Be sure to come up with some way for the party to get rid of them, otherwise a whole year is a long time. If they're high level enough (at least level 7?) they should have access to spells such as Banishment.
>>
>>47061251

Tell your DM you want more combat. Complaining to us won't change anything.
>>
>>47061187
I believe the budget expects 6-8 medium. Obviously you can have less encounters and increase the difficulty of those. But 3-4 deadly I think it's a bit much... It depends on the location and the party's power, obviously. Magic items and extra companions completely fuck up the math.
>>
>>47061187
The encounter-building guidelines in the DMG assume that a reasonably-competent party of characters with mixed abilities are somewhere with a lot of activity that will throw 6-8 dangerous situations at them between opportunities for long rests.

That's very much not how I run things, but I also don't use their encounter-building guidelines. I assume my players are going to take reasonable precautions to avoid getting into fights all the time, and my players rise to meet that expectation. Mostly.
>>
>>47061367
>herp derp i have no reading comprehension

The comment about my DM was supplemental. I was simply asking where the concept of 6-8 encounters a day came from.
>>
>new campaign
>everyone is bringing in PCs that are related to their previous PCs
>my previous druid died a lonely hobo with only his cat as a friend
>ask to play an awakened cat
>DM says sure, but don't expect people to take you very seriously (DM has played weirder things than a cat himself before)
>I say that's fine, I will win respect through my deeds
>session one
>I talk to a guard and he immediately starts screaming about how I'm a demon
>locks me up in a tiny cage in the local jail
>no way of escape, bars are too close together
>informed that no one will be coming to give me a trial
>nor will I be executed for being a demon
>just stuck in a cage being fed prison food every day until I die
>DM says he warned me that people would not take me seriously
I wish my DM would just tell me if he disliked my character.
>>
>new campaign
>That Guy asks to play an awakened cat, confirming our groups suspicions that he's a furry.
>let him, but functionally kill his character first session.
>hopefully he takes the hint and leaves. Fucking furfags.
>>
>>47061500
What were your plans for this character? It sounds cool to me. Also, you realize that druids don't really die, right? One of their level 18 features is that they age at a tenth of their former rate of aging (body only ages 1 year for every 10 that pass). Also, you could have cast Awaken ON your cat as that druid.

And they don't die in combat because, lolwildshape. So what happened to your last character?

Also, show us your cat's character sheet. Also, I'll try to help you come up with a way out of prison.
>>
What kind of supplements are you guys looking forward to? The Forgotten Realms was pushed pretty heavily in Core books, and it got the first supplement, so something else would be great.
Maybe planes.
>>47061595
Talking animals are one of the oldest fantasy tropes. And if there's sufficent backstory for the cat and reason for it to adventure, I don't see what the problem is?
>>
New-ish DM here, I started with the phandelver module, and my players arent being challenged very much. My group is usually 6 to 7 people, how can I modify the encounters so my group doesn't steamroll them? They just cleared cragmaw castle fairly easily, and that was going in loud, fighting almost every enemy in one huge combat scene.
>>
>>47061628
Not the guy who made the cat character, but Druid gets Awaken as early as 9th level. Maybe he casted that on his cat as soon as he could, because he was such a lonely hobo and died soon afterward.
Which would give a reason for cat to adventure, it might want to carry on its master's legacy.
>>
>>47061719
>What kind of supplements are you guys looking forward to?
None. I only run a reasonably-current version of D&D to make the game more approachable to newer players, and have secretly actually been running BECMI games for decades now behind my own players' backs.
>>
>>47061810
>>47061500
Would the cat take class levels? It would probable have to go for assassin rogue because it can't wield weapons but it has finesse claw strikes that could deal sneak attack damage.
>thief would be a waste because cats already climb without penalty and they can't use fast hands
>arcane trickster is a big no because animals can't cast for some reason (if I recall correctly; even if they can, they can't do somatic/material spell casting).
>>
>>47061322
They are level 3-4, so i'm slightly hesitant to pull the revenant card on them just yet.
>>
>>47061891
>cat has a level in Druid from learning off his master
>wildshapes into a bear
>breaks the bars of the tiny cage
>wildshapes into a rat and escapes through a tiny hole

Problem solved, but the DM sounds like too much of an asshole to allow something this cool to happen.
>>
>>47061797
>http://kobold.club
Compare the XP info of the intended number (4) and level (should say on the chapter) of players related to each encounter, then raise it to the equivalent of your party.

For example, if the party is supposed to be four characters of level 3, an encounter with an owlbear (700 XP) is of medium difficulty (between 600 and 900). With 6-7 players, medium difficulty is between 1000 to 1500 XP, so you could throw in an extra owlbear for 1400 XP total. Just remember that the more enemies you add, the more difficult it gets. There's a few modifiers for the math, you can find those in the DMG. But the site I linked above does the math for you.
>>
>>47061904
Then it's just perfect! How many are in the party? If they are rested just before the fight, they can surely take on a Revenant but it might still be enough to scare them.
>>
>>47061904
Use the Gothic UA to make NPC Revenants that are weaker than the monster Revenant?
>>
I hate D&D. It's so fun but there's no way to just binge on it. So I end up posting on 5eg and perusing the manual making builds or concocting strategies. It's a huge waste of time, I wish I could just be satisfied with playing once weekly but I can't be sated unless I absolutely binge.
>>
>>47062033
I feel you. I got so fed up of not finding good games to play in that I just decided to start DMing.
>>
>>47061954
Cool idea, but too bad the cat would have to be 8th level to Wild Shape into a bear. But if the cat is level 2 and can Wild Shape, it could turn into any tiny animal. Maybe a regular snake to get out of the cage?
>>
>>47061967
>an encounter with an owlbear (700 XP)
> you could throw in an extra owlbear for 1400 XP total
That's not how encounter maths works; there's a multiplier for number of enemies that I can't recall right now and can't check whilst on my phone.
>>
>>47062012
There are 4: Human Sorc, Human Fighter, Wood Elf Monk and (nerfed homebrew) Skeleton Ranger.
I guess I'll give it a shot if they go back to being savages.
>>
File: DM Screen-Cheat Sheet 2.0.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DM Screen-Cheat Sheet 2.0.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47062068
>There's a few modifiers for the math
I know, buddy. But since his party has more than 5 people, the XP for 2 enemies has no multipliers.

>>47061797
The pdf is a really well made DM Cheat Sheet, has been a great help for me.
>>
>>47062056
Level 2 moon circle you can turn into a brown bear
Even if you choose land (why) you can turn into a wolf, which is medium and will break a tiny cage
>>
>>47062199
>Spotting a near-invisible creature is as hard as reading lips without sound

also
>reading lips without sound
Isn't this redundant? It's not very difficult in the first place, and if there was sound you'd be listening to them talk, not reading lips.
>>
>>47062254
Huh, so it seems! Yeah, I didn't look at the options. There you go, Cat Druid. Break out of that cage and prove your worth!
>>
>>47062298
>read the lips of a creature you can see but not hear
I guess that assumes a lot of distance between you and said creature. In that case, reading lips would probably be very hard if someone were not Observant. I would put it at 20 instead of 25, but to each their own...
>>
I'm going to make a wizard who's trying to conceal the fact that he's a wizard as hard as it gets. What is the best way to do it?

>inb4 not be a wizard
>inb4 not cast anything
>>
>>47061628
>>47061810
Second anon hit it pretty much on the nose. My cat wanted to do great things in his late master's name.

>>47061891
Cat was a rogue for the sneak attack damage, yes. I was imprisoned before my archetype kicked in but I was probably going to go swashbuckler. He was going to be played pretty much like the prototypical "swashbuckler" too, minus the womanizing. A lover of high adventure and daring escapades.

The suggestions surrounding being a druid are appreciated but I can't really level into druid without anything to give me XP in my cage.
>>
>>47062397
Only cast things when nobody's watching.
Wear and use equipment not typical of a wizard.
>>
>>47062433
Post character sheet.

Can you use your claws as improvised lockpicks maybe? It would be a stretch (haha) but as someone who can pick locks at a very beginner level, two claws could feasibly pick a simple enough lock. You get proficiency with thieve's tools from the get go and you have all the time in the world to try picking. Given enough rolls, you'll get at least a 23 (at least 25 if you took expertise in thieve's tools) and if your max roll doesn't do it, then well, shit.

Alternatively, you could fake death and make a mad run for it as soon as possible. What do you think of that?
>>
>>47062199
I was planning to run Curse of Strahd as one of the first adventures when starting 5E, but it'd be a bit too deadly of the start, even looking at Death House alone.
Regular sized party of 2 level characters would still face "deadly challenge" if enemy gives 1000 EXP, and Shambling Mound is worth 1.5 that, and this comes up after several other encounters.
True, it doesn't need to be fought, and either sacrificing something or running away would set a mood for the campaign, but that's hard mindset to get into right away.

Should I just roll with it, or pick a bit more beginner friendly starter?
>>
>>47054031
A wild magic wizard, who's a simple commoner that found a spell book lying about whilst tending the fields and got it into his head that he became able to control magic just by mispronouncing the names of the spells out loud. unlocking spells per level up means the commoner decided to get off his ass and read some more pages from the book and his process of transcribing new spells is merely copying the funny pictures and the name from the scroll.
>>
>>47062583
>that's hard mindset to get into right away
Nothing like killing off a couple of characters in the first adventure location to set the tone for an adventure.

Run, you fools!
>>
>>47062397
Mountain dwarf wizards have medium armor and battleaxe proficiencies, just be a dorfdoing dorf things but cast spells secretly, pick the ones that you can just be like "I have a really good throwing arm!" (Catapult)
Get a "pet" (familiar) and sneakily deliver touch spells through it

And so on and so forth
>>
I had my first D&D session ever last Friday, and I have not done this sort of stuff before outside of vidyagaems. Despite being green as fuck and had the first hour spent listening to the DM explaining how shit worked and creating a character, I had fun, and wanted to come back for more sessions.

I ended up with a Human Fighter/Champion (DM let me start at lvl 3 to not fall behind the others in the ongoing campaign) with a Greatsword.
But during character creation, I didn't specify background, flaws, etc. Is this super important or can you live without it, or is it added later?
>>
>>47062610
Wouldn't be anything new. When years ago we played that 3rd Edition starter set, our DM at the time missed giving us a hint about quest already having been completed, and after all the damage taken from earlier in the dungeon, those of the party who didn't die from failing a throw against poison mushroom spores ended up being murdered by black dragon.
Fun times.
>>
>>47062661
background gets you two skill proficiencies, so you'll want to get up on that. Flaws, bonds, and ideals are a good way to help frame your character as something other than a pile of stats. They turn your character into a pile of stats with a little personality and motivation.
>>
>>47062433
>>47061500
Checked. Why isn't the party coming to help you?
>>
>>47062661
It's not important, those are just to aid with roleplaying and getting into character. Think what kind of guy your Fighter is, and pick ones that seem to fit.
>>
Martials are U S E F U L in combat
But lack V A R I E T Y and U T I L I T Y outside of combat.
>>
>>47062661
You can live without it but it might help you really get into the thick of who your character is and why he does what he does

For instance: my current character is an ex-bandit turned mercenary who had to leave his native land after his whole band was killed and is now looking for a way to build up a mercenary army to return and take over. He is lawful evil but values loyalty above all else so he appreciates and will protect "his" party.

Who is your guy? Was he a peasant that left with his mother's blessing to make the world a better place? Is he a wandering smith who kept getting roped into adventuring? Is he a solitary recluse who one day saw a vision and now seeks to make sense of it?

Also backgrounds usually determine your skills, which are very important
>>
>>47062801
niceme.me
>>
>>47062878
Ignore 4rry posts, do not reply to 4rry posters
>>
>>47062935
not either of those anons, but the meme has grown in recent weeks. anon used to just say they were useful and leave it at that. I'm moderately confident that by the time 6e comes out it'll be a full essay of copypasta.
>>
>>47063385
What's the word on upcoming releases? Does 6 have a release time-frame? I heard there was a PHB2 in production, is that true?
>>
>>47063416
I figure we've got maybe four years left.
>>
File: 1460730952849.png (81 KB, 326x220) Image search: [Google]
1460730952849.png
81 KB, 326x220
Alright 5eg, how do you guys deal with PVP?
Two of the other players have made death threats towards my character and another, and I'm unsure how to handle this.

Should I try and preemptively kill them? Booby-trap their stuff, try to get on their good side? If this goes into open combat, the odds aren't in my favor.
>>
What class would be best for a swashbuckler type character? Fighter? Bard?
>>
>>47063497
Swashbuckler would be best for a swashbuckler type character.
>>
>>47063488
Leave the group, they're obviously shitters.
>>
File: 1461982583049.png (1 MB, 2600x1084) Image search: [Google]
1461982583049.png
1 MB, 2600x1084
>>47063385
I actually started this whole thing. Saw it in an XCOM General as "pistols are useful" and stole it here. But I only did the first post.
>>
>>47063497
Fighter or Rogue. Singing and spellcasting don't strike me as core to the swashbuckling concept.
>>
>>47063488
Make contingencies, what class are you?

>>47063497
There is literally a swashbuckler
>>
>>47063563
But... but... Handguns are totally useful for Snipers in that game, depending on your skill selection.
>>
Will the Baldur's Gate videogames quell my D&D hunger between sessions?
>>
>>47063583
Rogue Thief, with some DM homebrewed skill in traps. The player on my side is a Fighter.

Other two players are both Rangers, but due to DM homebrew fixes they're playing the game like it's Pokemon and have about 7 pets between them, 4 of which engage in combat.
>>
Does anyone have suggestions/guides for sandboxy games?

I'm developing the broad strokes of a world right now (Deities, established cities/factions and all that) for the major starting area of the PC's but I want the world to largely be a mystery to both me and my players.

I understand the world enough that plot/narrative won't suffer. I know who's doing what at any given time. But I'm not creative enough to be like "Oh yeah this biome here, that biome there."
>>
File: 1462236219950.jpg (16 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1462236219950.jpg
16 KB, 600x549
>>47063682
I'd say whatever you do, if it comes down to it, don't kill the pets. I can't imagine they'd roleplay anything other than that being the biggest kick in the dick.
Aim for nonlethal, use them as bargaining chips. If the party splits, two of you are probably going to need to retire and reroll.
>>
>>47063488
Is the DM ok with this? Is PVP generally accepted accepted in your table? If any of your answers is no, then it probably shouldn't be happening.
>>
>>47063682
Trap everything, every single thing.

If the DM allows, buy a bunch of scrolls of glyph of warding and inscribe them inside their boots and other "surfaces" so you can exploding knees them in an emergency
>>
>>47063915
He says it's allowed if there's an in-character justification for it, and they really hate me in-character, because I refused to reveal my backstory to them over fireside chats.
>>
>>47062583
Whatever you and your players think it's more fun, man. Lost Mines of Phandelver is the most beginner friendly adventure, and what's best is you could theoretically jump from it directly to Curse of Strahd, skipping Death House. However, every adventure released is absurdly deadly in the first level or two. My first 5e session in LMoP ended with half our party of 6 killed by a bugbear. It was still a lot of fun, though.

Probably one of the most fun D&D experiences I've had yet, but then again I didn't die AND managed to kill the bugbear and save the bard. It was thrilling.
>>
>>47064007
That's absolutely retarded, kill them in their sleep
>>
>>47064007
They hate you over a few secrets and don't respect your personal privacy? Those characters are jerks.
>>
>>47061500
>an animal talks
>this is apparently overtly demonic
>but not demonic enough to warrant killing
>or strong enough to resist imprisonment
Even the hillbilliest of back-water Faerunian bumpkins aren't that stupid.
>>
>>47063682
What are their pets? Kill them all while the PCs are sleeping and then team up against the PCs with the fighter. Rogue+Battlemaster (he is a BM with commander's strike, right?) should clean the floor with two rangers (who are petless even). Then quit the game. Obviously these players are disruptive.
>>
>>47064282
Even without battlemaster, a rogue and a fighter should scrub the fucking floor with two petless rangers
>>
>Fighter with Entertainer background
>while the rest of the party investigates bullshit, I'm at the tavern regaling the town with stories of my derring-do and showing off sweet moves
>roll real well on Performance checks every time
>loadse tips, making a decent chunk of cash every night
>collect random trinkets from slain monsters or dank crypts the party has plumbed, give them to the inn to hang on the wall or whatever
>innkeepers so thrilled with the booming business they give me free room and quality meals
>become a medieval celebrity with folk hero status in all the little podunk towns
>gain noble fangirls
>bluff three separate bandit-styled encounters to back down or get captured because they don't want to press their luck messing with the guy they've heard such amazing stories about
Who the fuck needs Bards
>>
>>47064350
>>47064282
>>47063682
You don't even need to kill the pets on second thought, just use traps or some shit to bind them, then take a couple coups de grace autocrit sneak attacks on the rangers while they're sleeping.
>>
Question: Could a gnome bard hide inside a Paladin's backpack and provide buffs? And would a set of bagpipes make it too obvious the gnome is in there?
>>
>>47064491
Have you ever HEARD a bagpipe?
>>
>>47064502
How about a tamborine?
>>
>>47064502
ok what if the bard cast Blindness/Deafness as his first spell?
>>
Would you let an arcade trickster sneak cursed magical items into enemy NPCs?
>>
I had a group of 5 level 4s practically breeze through an encounter with a CR5 creature and 6 CR1 minions

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I wanted to scare them away and they ended up with only 1 downed player and the druid losing 1 wildshape
>>
>>47064819
What is the party? That's not really a very strong encounter desu plus early level druids can be stupid tanky with wild shapes.
>>
Day 2:
So far I couldn't create a Null with my Vampire Arcane Trickster, should have picked something to stabilize enemies instead of focusing into grapple...

I think I should have gone Cleric or Undying Warlock for spare the dying. Also, even though vampires aren't technically evil, a good/neutral group doesn't like to stabilize enemies just so I can turn them into zombies.
>>
How do I go about making the ultimate Jew character?
>>
>>47064952
Paladin that hoards all the treasure?
>>
>>47064819
It seems like that set up depended on a lot of things. Did anyone have surprise? Were the enemies tactical and coordinated? What distance did the encounter start at?

A party of lvl 2 warlocks with eldritch spear, repelling blast and expeditious retreat could easily take down something like a CR 8(!) T-Rex if the encounter started 300 ft away on a featureless plain.

Similarly, a party with bolts can take down any number of aquatic only monsters from the safety of shore.

What was your encounter anon?
>>
>>47064952
Conjurer wizard that sells luck potions.
>>
Hyptothetical situation-
A character wants to play as a human vampire, and the character checks out as someone who would reasonably assist the party, advance the plot, and the player is sincere about it.

How would you do the crunch for the character fluff? Use the statblock from the book with the starting class proficiencies/traits, not give them ability score improvements, and otherwise level up normally?
>>
>>47064871
>>47064999
Party:
Dragonborn EK
Dragonborn War Cleric
Tiefling Tomelock
Genasi Moon Druid
Genasi Dragon Sorceror

Fighting against
Hellenrae (cr5 monk, kicked some ass)
4 CR1 Monks
2 CR1 Monks (reinforcements)

Fight started when one of the dragonborn entered the dojo and asked where the node of earth was so he could smash it (he's not very smart) so he got jumped by the monks while the boss monk watched, they all failed to hit him but one (shitty rolls vs ac 18)

Rest of the party came in and boss monk ripped the druid a new one, he ran away, monks got torched by the casters and boss monk got hold person'd and tied up

Two reinforcement monks showed up and cut boss loose, she ripped the cleric a new one (he was carrying her away) and took a round to try and hand out some stuns by splitting the attacks, cleric got healed up and critted a lv2 inflict wounds for 40-something damage and basically rotted her to death, remaining monk was captured
>>
>>47065105
Use the zendikar vamp, give it light sensitivity and resistance to non-magical weapons and remove stats?
>>
>>47065105
That would be waaay too powerful. You're better off using the Zendikar vampire or even looking for some homebrewed vampire races... I think there was one in an Unearthed Arcana?
>>
>>47065310
>>47065345
>zendikar
Isn't that a MtG block? I've never heard of that in the context of 5e.
>>
>>47060442
Any rogue crossed with fighter is good, assassin if you do surprise rounds a lot would be good. I killed my other party member in defense as a swashbuckler rogue 9 and fighter 1. His fighter had around +12 to hit due to a cursed great sword. Make sure to grab the defensive duelist feat as it's amazing if you want to be untouchable.
>>
>>47065372
It is, but there is an official zendikar supplement for 5e, should be in the OP
>>
>>47065401
Fascinatng, I'll download it and check it out. MtG isn't really my thing but at least I'll know a little bit of the lore.
>>
>>47065372
they released a suplement with really awesome races like kor and merfolks, and weird ones that really, even though they're ok, fit the zendikar ones like vampires.
>>
>>47064871
Desu?
>>
>>47065105
Level? class? point buy or rolled stats?

If it were a high level and he rolled meh I would totally allow him be a Monster Manuel vampire, but without legendary saves and actions
>>
>>47065541
Fuck, meant really DON'T fit
>>
>>47064440
>Who the fuck needs Bards
Nobody. Nobody needs Bards. They don't exist as a character class in my game.
>>
>>47053279
But magic
>>
>>47066489
Either magic or D&D logic.
>>
>>47065938
>missing out on the masterful musical magnificence of magical minstrels

I feel bad for you
>>
File: 1387159386459.gif (491 KB, 150x132) Image search: [Google]
1387159386459.gif
491 KB, 150x132
How do you explain character level from an in-universe perspective? Is it a direct measurement of a being's competence or threat? Is it an abstract way of measuring someone's importance to the plot?
>>
>>47066872
yes to both, it's many things, is power, is experience, is plotarmor, etc.
>>
>>47066872
You don't. It's a game mechanic.
>>
File: 687686768768.jpg (367 KB, 1019x976) Image search: [Google]
687686768768.jpg
367 KB, 1019x976
I want to have a chinchilla familiar for my sorcerer, could I just fluff the stats for a weasel? As a DM would you allow this? I want to know before I run it by my DM.
>>
>>47065105
Another hypothetical PC race, anything I should refer to for satyr players?
>>
UA when
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.