[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: the_cultist_by_souracid-d5hdkpw.jpg (239 KB, 666x942) Image search: [Google]
the_cultist_by_souracid-d5hdkpw.jpg
239 KB, 666x942
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
>>47028349

>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Warlock Edition

Shout out to the one class that you don't have to wait until level 10 to really enjoy.
>>
I have a bunch of high-level builds that I want to play just for fun. Where do I find games where I can just do dungeon crawls without committing to a campaign?
>>
>>47036591
AL groups do one shot expeditions. They are pretty fun all and all.
>>
Ordered the set of books on weekend and going through the PDF versions in the mean while.
It's weird going from Player's Handbook to Dungeon Master's Guide. 3.5 had all of the books be pretty uniform in appearance, but here they dropped the "parchment styled" yellow pages when moving from one to next, and Monster Manual also has mostly regular, white pages with light texture. Not that I'm complaining, the yellow pages were kinda weird.
But what's the reason for the change? Did the styling get a bad reception?
>>
>>47037074
Found the local gaming store does an AL night on thursdays. I'm experience enough at playing/DMing but I know fuck all about AL. Do I roll, or do they have pre generated chars or what should I bring or what do I do with my hands? I don't know what to do with my hands.
>>
>>47037255

Now, I have not played AL, but I will try to answer your questions as well as I can.

>Do I roll, or do they have pre generated chars

Pretty sure you make characters for it. With some guidelines, of course.

>what should I bring

I would imagine a Player's Handbook, some dice, and a mini to represent your character. The last one might be optional.

>what do I do with my hands? I don't know what to do with my hands.

Do jazz hands constantly. It'll let everyone know that you mean business.
>>
So how many of you guys have played games that lasted beyond level 10? Any who have gotten to level 20?
>>
File: Class limits.png (568 KB, 825x486) Image search: [Google]
Class limits.png
568 KB, 825x486
>>47037395

I have gotten a group to about level 15. This is where the party started getting 8th level spells. Although combat made everyone's turns a bit longer, it was nothing in comparison to pathfinder PC turns.

Concentration makes battles more manageable and limits how many buffs and spells can be active at a time. That means fights tend to go quicker and you have to choose carefully what spells you have up.

When it comes to bosses: You're going to have to start giving the bosses more actions or companions at around level 8-10. Else the party's going to steamroll through them.

If you can get a party to level 11, then it becomes easier to start thinking of level 20. The XP to progress correlated to CR indicate it only takes about 90 encounters to get from level 11 to 20.* In comparison, the slog from levels 1-10 Takes around 132 encounters.*

*This infers that you use nothing but "medium" encounters for the entire campaign.

When it comes to the time spent in the lower-levels versus the higher-levels, I find it nice. It's also nice that if I wanted to do some high-powered campaignery, I could start my party out at level 11 and have them feel a constant feeling of progression.
>>
Question to people who've played or ran the officially released campaings. How do you feel about them? Which are the best?
>>
File: ravenloft.jpg (171 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ravenloft.jpg
171 KB, 1280x720
>>47037961

I've run Tyranny of Dragons (which includes Horde of the Dragon Queen + Rise of Tiamat) and have run through the first half of Curse of Strahd (including the Death House).

Tyranny of Dragons isn't that great of an adventure. Horde of the Dragon Queen was railroad city. Rise of Tiamat was a bit more open-ended with the party choosing who to ally with, but it's still heavily on-rails. The game covers hundreds of miles of The Forgotten Realms, yet only covers the railroad + each of the "gain allies" quests. I'd only use Rise of Tiamat as an adventure and just dig through Hoard of the Dragon Queen for loot and location maps.

Curse of Strahd: I personally like it. It sets the mood for the campaign setting well, has challenging encounters, and has many opportunities for the party to mess up. I also like how it's a sandbox with plot-hooks instead of being on-rails. I found that depending on how you rollplay strahd will help set the tone for the entire campaign. The book gives good pointers as to how to portray strahd.

I think the campaigns are currently in the treasure trove of pdf's. Give them a skim. If I had to pick one for a group of a few veteran adventurers to run, I'd go with the Curse of Strahd. If your party isn't quite sold, run them through the death house. If your party's sick of levels 1-3, you can just start them off @ level 3 and use one of the quest hooks listed.

I think the campaigns are in
>>
>>47037234
Player's Handbook is for players i.e. idiots who need bells and whistles. DMG is for DMs i.e. people with at least average intelligence
>>
>>47038372

Yeah, only a total chad would read from light brown papers. A truly enlightened gentlesir like yourself reads from gray pages.
>>
>>47038372
That doesn't answer the question at all you nerd.
>>
>>47037234

The have different colors so that you can tell them apart a little more easily. The Monster Manual also has a little stain thing in the lower right corner, where the DMG has a colored triangle.
>>
Why are 3.X players so adamant to turn to 3.X 2.0? This is literally Human Fighters, the edition.
>>
>>47038632
They are soothed by repetition
>>
>>47038632
Same reason they didn't like 4e, 2e players didn't like 3e, and 1e players don't like anything.

It's all inertia.
>>
>>47038632

They're Grognards. There's always been a group of Dungeons and Dragons players who were satisfied with the previous edition's rules. From what I've heard, a large chunk of players stick with the rules they've grown up with. Since 3.X 2.0 is still 3.5 but with support, it doesn't surprise me they stick with it.
>>
>>47038632

People with autism may develop obsessions for several reasons, including:

* obsessions may provide structure, order and predictability, and help people cope with the uncertainties of daily life

* people who find social interaction difficult might use their special interests as a way to start conversations and feel more self-assured in social situations

* obsessions may help people to relax and feel happy

* people can get a lot of enjoyment from learning about a particular subject or gathering together items of interest.
>>
All i'm seeing in the MEGA link are black folder and file names, same thing a week ago... Am I retard?
>>
>>47039149
*Blank
>>
>>47038590
That's silly. If anything, insides of the books should be uniform with covers differiating them from eachother.
This is actually one thing that 4th edition handled well, with Core books, Supplements and everything else being color coded for the type of content they had. 3rd edition style of emulating actual fantasy book covers was cool, but 4th worked fine as well, maybe even better.

I like the actual content of 5E books, but cover/content design isn't that great. They are uniform now, yes, but in worst possible way. All the covers have exact same styling.
>>
>>47037234
I don't think they would have had time to change it due to response to the phb, so I doubt it was that.
Maybe it's cheaper? Fewer people buy the dmg and mm compared to the phb, so it would make sense for them to save money on the books they know wont sell as well. That's just a guess, though. Could just be an art design choice.
>>
Best feat for a blasty Light domain cleric? My DM is letting us use variant humans so I'm planning on using it. I was figuring warcaster but would spell sniper help me blast behind teammates with scorching ray without the cover thing messing up my aim?
>>
File: zipzapmotherfucker.jpg (43 KB, 1008x568) Image search: [Google]
zipzapmotherfucker.jpg
43 KB, 1008x568
>>47039354
tavern brawler
>>
>>47039324

I don't disagree about having different cover designs, but I personally think 5e has much better interior art than previous editions. 4e was much too 'glossy' for my tastes—I want my fantasy art to look more like pic related.
>>
>>47039591

And although the interior design is a bit less immediately readable than 4th edition, it also feels a lot warmer. And with the massive margins, it's certainly much less cluttered than 3rd.
>>
So I'd normally cast mage armour when going somewhere dangerous so I only need to cast it once per day. When do you cast it when I'm in a place that is always dangerous(like the underdark or ravenloft)? Should I be using it twice a day? Should I only cast it when I go to a place that seems like it is going to be more dangerous?
>>
So I'm multiclassing fighter1/roguex and planning on doing grappling in heavy armor. Which fighting style should I choose from Fighter? I'm thinking either Defense or Dueling.

>Defense: the benefit is obvious, I'm going to be in close proximity to bad guys during fights and the higher my AC, the better
>Dueling: gonna have one hand grappling the target anyways, so I can always take advantage of this; but is it worth it for a max of 4 extra damage per turn?

Also considering barbarian because rage grants advantage on strength (eg grapple contest) checks. But I guess since this particular character is an arcane trickster, that doesn't synergize very well (can't concentrate on spells while raging; I'm planning on grappling foes and holding them in a create bonfire while I stab them with sneak attack). I guess the better option considering this would be to go rogue1/barbarianx if you wanted to do a standard grappler with a bunch of attacks and whatnot.
>>
File: ch6.jpg (364 KB, 1087x1478) Image search: [Google]
ch6.jpg
364 KB, 1087x1478
>>47039591
The books wouldn't be the same without occasionally goofy art.

The stuff in PHB is mostly fine, I just miss the flavour descriptions of the weapons, and more in-depth looks at the Deities. Those seem like weird omitments.
>>
File: 1414000363074.png (1 MB, 1096x731) Image search: [Google]
1414000363074.png
1 MB, 1096x731
>>47039809
>occasionally goofy art.
Goofy is not a strong enough word
>>
>>47039809
Why do you need descriptions of the weapons when there are pictures?

I assume the bare-bones descriptions of deities is because they wanted to avoid having a single default pantheon and detailing multiple pantheon's worth of gods would have taken up too much room.
>>
>>47039881
You know most of that image is from pathfinder, right?
>>
>>47039752
Rogue isn't the best way to go for grappling. Other than expertise, there is no need to go into it. I'd probably go bard3/fighterx or fighter2/bardx
>>
>>47039921
Yeah. Point?
>>
>>47039938
I'm taking the Grappler feat for sneak attack damage and doing cool shit with Arcane Trickster spells (hopefully: like using the fly spell to drag a target up into the air 60 ft per turn with me pulling a sneak attack every turn and every 60 feet yielding 6d6 bludgeoning damage when dropped).

What do you think for fighting style? Defense or Duelist?
>>
>>47039954
Pathfinder != WotC

>>47039881
I want to fuck that elf girl
>>
>>47040018
>Pathfinder != WotC
No one is saying it does. I used the image because it has both of the somewhat goofy somewhat terrifying halflings in the 5e PHB. So again, what's your point?
>>
>>47040050
>So again, what's your point?
Easy there, you aspergers-ridden fucking edgelord. I'm not even the guy you replied to in the first place.

WHAT'S YOUR POINT!??? HUH????

*teleports behind you*
*whispers*
"So again, what's your point?"
*stabs you with a katana*
>>
>>47039149
Answer me you shits :-) Sanity check on if the mega is f'd up or if I need to do something to make the files visibl.
>>
>>47040103
Are we doing a bit now? Are you the whore I'm trying to fuck?
>>
>>47040117
Looks fine to me. I have the mega extension for Chrome installed, though.
>>
>>47040117
It's working fine for me.
>>
>>47039998
Defense. Just remember you aren't getting fly until level 15 and enlarge/reduce until level 9 if you are going with arcane trickster over bard
>>
File: gopis.jpg (101 KB, 500x387) Image search: [Google]
gopis.jpg
101 KB, 500x387
>>47039911

I for one am totally fine with the relatively sparse descriptions of deities. I use real-world pantheons, and those have been written up half a dozen different sourcebooks over D&D's lifespan. If I want to know more about gods, I'll go to wikipedia, not WotC.

The kinds of deities and creation stories that D&D designers are insanely tame compared to actual myths. Like Set murdering Osiris, tearing him into 14 pieces, and feeding his dick to a fish. Or Odin and his bros making the world from the corpse of a giant, who was suckled by a giant cow. Or a blue guy who cheats on his goddess wife with the wives of a bunch of cowherders.

Compare that to what WotC seems to think is good worldbuilding: a platinum dragon god, the Raven Queen, Asmodeus...<snore>
>>
>>47040220
Yeah, I was thinking Defense is the better one. Duelist is only good if you get multiattack I figure. Even then, at level 20, the fighter only gets an extra 8 damage if all his attacks hit.
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47040220
>>47040286
Also, why are you thinking about Enlarge/Reduce?
>>
>>47040296
Being bigger means grappling bigger things
>>
>>47037255
With your hand you just be normal. Withe everything else:

>They have pregen level 1 characters but also you can use standard array or point buy to create characters.

>bring your dice and, if you can, but a miniature of your character or something of the sort. Some players, like myself, have minis that you can borrow but you should try your best to be prepared.
>>
>>47040250
The vanilla deity lore is kinda lame, but there's some nice stuff. Kurtulmak's and Kobolds' original creation story is delightfully stupid, too bad in later editions that was switched to more generic fantasy stuff.

But I agree, short explanations of the gods aren't that good, to do them justice you need to detail some exploits of theirs. Flavour is nice.
>>
>>47039881
I just now noticed that lute-halfling has boobs. God damn, while reading the book I just figured it was a dude.
>>
File: 1452294967323.jpg (624 KB, 910x1456) Image search: [Google]
1452294967323.jpg
624 KB, 910x1456
>>47040965
Pic related.
I love this story. Makes me want to play a kobold just so I can hate gnomes passionately in character as well.
...Come to think of it, with 4e's interpretations of gnomes as fey, wouldn't a dwarf-kobold unified kingdom be a good fit? They can bond over enjoying digging holes, breaking rocks, and insulting faerie fags.
>>
>>47040250
I'm big on custom pantheons, but I try to take pointers from real-world myth.

One of the primary issues with the FR Pantheon is that there are many gods, but they individually behave in a monotheistic way. With a couple of noteable exceptions, they operate as infallible beings and have little petty rivalry.

Contrast this with historical polytheistic religions where the gods were squabbling assholes who regularly shit on mankind by accident (and, in some cases, were barely aware of mankind at all), it's little surprise that the result is so bland.

A couple of other settings do a bit better. Eberron's having fragmented religions is a bit better.
>>
>>47041111
>Be god with Neutral Good pantheon
>Destroy a mine because your own people can't be assed to work
>Kill million members of a new race
>"It's just a prank, bro!"
Fuck Garl.
>>
Martials are U S E F U L
but lack V A R I E D. G A M E P L A Y.
>>
>>47041593
>Play a rogue for high sneak attack damage
>Realize I'm just there to make high skill checks and to do less than average damage
>>
>>47041694
Rogues are the best martials. Both thief and arcane trickster have gameplay defining features at level three.
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-02+at+12.35.36).jpg (25 KB, 301x106) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-02+at+12.35.36).jpg
25 KB, 301x106
>>47041575
And this is what SCAG had to say on the matter.
Damned gnomes, trying to erase history.
Remember the Darastrixhurthi!
>>
>>47040250
Yeah.

I've been trying to heavily rewrite the pantheons, although keeping them, in essence, with the same gods. Mostly so that they feel like pantheons on an internal level, and so that they feel like religions for actual people, not just for adventurers to call upon when they need to pray for a +1.

My current elf gods rewrite has bits of cree and welsh folklore as inspiration, with some medieval myths about the fey and tricksters thrown in. They're also meant to be an all-trickster pantheon.

That said; if I was going to ignore most of the planar shit, I'd probably stick to a cross between the 9 hells and the keys of solomon for a mythical fiend thing.
>>
File: occultist_sprite.png (160 KB, 424x588) Image search: [Google]
occultist_sprite.png
160 KB, 424x588
So I've heard that the warlock is limited and a pretty weak class, but it seems like it delivers a good balance of utility and damage to make it one of the more balanced classes. Am I missing something here?
>>
>>47042312
The online RPG audience tends to zero in on combat utility and versatility. The popular perception is that Warlocks are very useful in combat, but only as a turret for Eldritch Blast.

This, like most things onna internet, is an oversimplification: Warlock can do lots of groovy shit, and is one of the better classes for sheer variety of out-of-the-box options. Invocations are sweet (with some very nifty at-will/once-per LR spells) and the chain and tome pact boons add some additional choices both in and out of combat. Your spell list and skills will give you lots of ability to influence creatures outside of combat, too.

Fuck, even the Blade pact Boon is fine. It's maybe not as versatile as the other two, but being able to draw a greataxe naked and having automatic proficiency with it is not bad in a hostage situation.
>>
>>47042312
Nope. People are silly. 2 levels in warlock and a charisma modifier are literally all you need to be good at the game. Everything else the warlock offers is just gravy on top.
>>
>>47042312
With a single invocation the warlock is equally good at skill-monkeying as a ranger and only comes second to Rogue and Bard. People are dumb and putting too much emphasis on spells and the short rests thing.
>>
>>47042445
> Invocations are sweet (with some very nifty at-will/once-per LR spells)
You poor bastard, reread the spell invocations that aren't at will. They take your spell slot. I have never heard anyone sing their praises that knew this.
>>
>>47042676
In away from the phb right now, but only some of them use spell slots. And the at will ones are almost always awesome.
>>
>>47042676
> durrr, reed buk
> didn't read the book
Stay stupid, /5eg/.
>>
File: summoning.jpg (184 KB, 1192x792) Image search: [Google]
summoning.jpg
184 KB, 1192x792
>>47042676
I think the 1/longrest invocations aren't as bad as people seem to think. You get the spellslot back when you short rest, you can't use it to cast that specific spell again. People seem to think that you don't get the spell slot back for some reason.
>>
>tfw still torn between 4 class/background combos
At this point my character is still vague enough that I could go either Feylock, Bard, Feyladin or Ranger with just the right background (Outlander for the first two, either Outlander or Entertainer for Paladin, Entertainer for Ranger).

How do people break the indecision?
>>
>>47042879
Has the group met to discuss the sort of game you'll be playing?

What is the rest of the group playing?

What is the setting like?

What is least like something you've done before?
>>
>>47041731
>Gameplay defining
>Throwing 50gp for 1d4 damage
>>
File: 2016-05-02 14.06.34.png (2 MB, 1080x1467) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-02 14.06.34.png
2 MB, 1080x1467
Hey guys I made a thing
>>
>>47042698
All of them that aren't at will except for the lvl 15 pact of the chains special ability "Chains of Carceri" use a spell slot. And that one isn't even the full spell, they toned it down and it can only hit outsiders with that ability.
>>
>>47043085
Some are still worth it. The slow one for instance. And all the at wills are fine.
>>
>>47043065
Seems fun, kind of what I wanted when I was playing a monk but it felt lacking as far a just pure unarmed went.

Definitely showing this to a friend who wants to run a barbarian.
>>
>>47043065
I'd probably give them something like 'Powerful Blows' at 6th that let them ignore resistance and immunity to non magical weapons
>>
>>47042913
>Has the group met
Not the full group.

>What is the rest of the group playing
Rogue, Barbarian, Cleric

>Setting like
Bog-standard FR afaik

>Least like something you've done before
They're all things I've done before, but my last pc was a Thief.
>>
>>47043065
> level 6 feature is literally open hand technique
Fine, I guess, but shouldn't it be StrMod? Also what >>47043151 said.
>>
>>47043232
>Rogue, Barbarian, Cleric
I'd go with the Feylock, but the questions were more things to ask yourself.

After "what interests me the most," those are the questions I ask.
>>
>>47043043
Healing kits on a bonus action, ball bearings everywhere, alchemist fire, etc.
>>
What's a good way to do dice-rolling in Discord? All the AI dicebots I've tried will take an input of 12d6 and produce 3,3,3,3,4,4,4,4,5,5,5,5
>>
>>47041362
I've heard claims that FR's gods used to be formed into several competing pantheons, but that the structure got scrapped over time (and over multiple bad comic-style crises). No idea if that's true, though.
>>
>>47043268
Thanks for the questions. I'm generally shit at making up my mind.
>>
>>47041575
Never trust a race that willingly worked with Tucker.
>>
>>47043311
Why? Just use roll 20 or any number of tabletop over ip programs.
>>
>>47043348
2E FR split two major pantheons in Western Faerun (Faerunian proper and Mulhorandi). It also had the celestial bureaucracy in Kara-Tur and the primordial gods they worshipped in Zakhara, plus a bunch of local cults.
>>
>>47043149
Thanks, I've been itching for a good punchman type too, one of my players will be DMing soon and I'm trying to come up with something I can use that isn't monk

>>47043151
I considered adding something like "spend a rage use to make fists magic for an hour" or something but there should be other ways to get through magical skin without hardwiring it into the class (handwraps soaked in holy water? Using the wizard as an improvised weapon?)

>>47043236
It is, and lv3 is more or less martial arts. Should I make it more distinct somehow? (Pocket sand, sucker punch etc?)
>>
File: shield.jpg (12 KB, 881x50) Image search: [Google]
shield.jpg
12 KB, 881x50
>Shied
Where's my shield waifus ;_;
Then again, there really wasn't much of a reason to buy something other than strongest regular one or inesting into Tower Shield. Small equip list is still kinda disheartening.

>>47043443
>Using the wizard as an improvised weapon?
I'm sure the party's Wizard would be happy to be turned into close-range weaponry.
>>
>>47042445
>>47042558
>>47042645
I find that the gap between "useful" and "useless" is SIGNIFICANTLY less in 5e.
I've played every single one of the "useless" classes several times now and contributed plenty to every game, in combat scenarios and non-combat ones.
I think some of it is just the crazy "optimization" guys left over from 3e and 4e not letting go of it and determining to make their CCG deckbuilding crap relevant I'm 5e even when the relevance my far two days ago had on conversations I'm having today is far greater then anything at all in 5e.
Also, admittedly a solid amount is complaining because there's not a whole lot else to talk about with the slow release schedule for 5e. Eventually you exhaust all other topics of discussion related to the game itself.
>>
>>47043065
Bully's phrasing seems slightly off, should perhaps mention that it replaces Charisma (Intimidation) unless you intend for it to replace all Intimidation checks with Strength - in which case it wouldn't necessarily be replacing Charisma.
>>
>>47043383
rolz is aesthetically unappealing and one player hates it for other reasons, d20 moreso with a bunch of extra complexity and one of my players swears that the dice are fucking him (I know, I know. To be fair, across 4 five-hour sessions he hasn't rolled above 5, and all my rolls against him were +15) where all I want is voice+text chat with dice rolls. If you know another good one, that's fine, I'll try it.
>>
>>47043348
It IS true. And it was scrapped by 3e, which went a long way to dumbing down the Realms and creating almost all the complaints people have about it.
The huge "main" pantheon of Faerun was never universally worshipped (you won't find a lot of temples to Sune in the Moonsea for instance...or any at all in fact), and different regions of Faerun had different concentrations of worshippers, so there was plenty of competition between the faiths of even the main pantheon, and then the Mulhorandi deities and the Chessentan and aunt her deities were all completely different and didn't seem to follow the same rules.
Hell, back in 2e in certain regions of Faerun the deities didn't always even have the same NAMES between regions.
>>
>>47043670
I know there's a Google hangouts app for ffg star wars, I bet there's one for d20 too.
>>
>>47043580
One of the most popular things about 5e is that the gap has shortened considerably.
As for the slow releases, honestly I don't mind. They have a tiny team, that has made mistakes, so them trying hard to get it right makes sense to me. Plus, emphasis 5e has placed on balance has seeped over into the homebrews, resulting in some very well thought out ideas. Also, the lack of content makes it more acceptable to bring homebrews to your GM. The end result is more balanced, class options (Provided your GM keeps out the riffraff) and I am enjoying this immensely.
>>
>>47042445
One thing most players never take into consideration: world influence. Some race/class combos are straight up way better at getting shit done in the civilized world.

Characters like half-orc barbarians are gimp as fuck if they're away from their tribe. Magic users aren't trusted by common folk, especially if they're outlanders. So, a Drow Sorcerer is gonna have a bad time trying to convince a town of Sun Elves of pretty much anything. Ebberon is the only setting I can think of where Magic Users are seen as normal everyday citizens.
>>
>>47043765
Me too.
And honestly slower release means less new material that could potentially fuck up the entire game, which I'm okay with. I wouldn't mind more fluff-heavy books like the SCAG for other settings though.
>>
>>47043605
I don't see how it's confusing
When making an intimidation check you usually do d20+proficiency+CHA mod

The feature says you can use "your strength modifier instead of charisma when making intimidation checks"

Meaning that it would become

D20+proficiency+STR mod
>>
>>47043782
Most players I've seen are shitty roleplayers in general so not taking into account setting or anything except "performance" just sorta follows I guess.
>>
>>47043765
>5e
>emphasis on balance

Huh? There are so many retarded balance decisions in 5e that I find it hard to believe anyone competent emphasized balance.

>wot4e monks
>using errata to nerf wot4e monks even further
>rangers generally
>beast master rangers
>familiars being better than BM companions
>pact of the blade warlock
>eldritch blast being as powerful as it currently is for any class with a shitty capstone.

I could go on.
>>
>>47043798
This is already in the game BTW. DM is free to demand other abilities when rolling checks.
>>
>>47043899
Yeah I know, this feature would just let the player choose instead of the DM telling him which to use
>>
>>47043798
>When making an intimidation check you usually do d20+proficiency+CHA mod
Not necessarily Cha though, which is why the book uses the terminology "Charisma (Intimidation)" rather than "Intimidation" when referring to rolls.

Is the feature intended to replace only Charisma based Intimidation checks, or all Intimidation checks?
>>
>>47043743
Sorry, that's the one I was referring to when I said d20. Also not crazy about roll20, which it's a clone of.

Captcha, what are you even doing anymore? That took like 2 minutes. And then it said I did it wrong, after it verified me.
>>
>>47044059
Ah, now I see what you mean. In my group we only ever use charisma for intimidation, and I grant advantage when they roleplay it well instead of applying other ability mods, so it had not really crossed my mind

So i'll change it, and for that I can go one of two ways

>you may use your strength modifier whenever you make an intimidation check
Meaning always use STR

Or

>you may add your Strength modifier to any intimidation checks you make

Leaning towards the first
>>
>>47044169
I kinda like just "Add your strength modifier" cause that's simple and functions a little like Expertise?
>>
>>47044239
It definitely simplifies things, but I'm afraid of making it too good
>>
>>47043065
>Goliath Brawler grappling and dragging Tiamat around
>>
>>47043443
Can you repost this if/when you update it?
Really want to use this in my upcoming game
>>
File: 064.gif (232 KB, 680x667) Image search: [Google]
064.gif
232 KB, 680x667
>>47044407
>>
>>47043580
I've played Tier 2-3 classes in 3.5 games and ended up being more of a MVP than the wannabe god-wizard who forgot he was starting under level 15.

It's more often how you play than what you play.
>>
>>47044500
>Suplex as a menu choice when it's a Blitz input
>fighting the phantom train with Locke and Edgar

10/10 I raged
>>
>>47044565
And how lenient your DM is with petty mortal martials doing cool shit.
>>
Alright senpai, I need some help getting creative.
What would be locked away so well beneath a tower that you need a a tunnel to get to it?

I was thinking maybe some dragon's horde. But the party is kinda low level and I'd like them to actually go there and shit.
I can always throw wyrmlings instead. But then it seems kinda silly for someone to build a tunnel all the way under the tower just to avoid some wyrmlings.

So I'm thinking of scrapping the dragon idea. Maybe a reasonably powerful mage is held up in that tower. But what's he hiding beneath it? And why would someone else want to dig to it?

Not asking for a full on adventure, just need help brainstorming.
>>
>>47044488
Here's the thing with a couple of changes to Bring the Pain and Bully

Let me know what you think
>>
>>47044692
I like it. I like it a lot.

Will consider asking DM if I can use it in a one-off we're planning.
>>
>>47041775
It's just a prank, bro.
>>
>>47044669
a few things you might want to hide beneath a tower?

> the true heir to the throne
> a spellbook
> the great lich-king's phylactery
> a 10% off coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond
> cheese
> the Ark of the Covenant
> a comfortable knit hat

the possibilities are (nearly) endless.
>>
>>47044777
Great man, hope he likes it too
>>
>>47044824
>> a 10% off coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond

Damn son I'm considering it.
But on a real note some of your suggestions actually gave me the spark I needed. Thanks famalam.
>>
>>47038693

I'unno, myself and a lot of my friends started on 3.5, but a short while after 5e came out, we've all pretty heavily jumped on the 5e train and not looked back at all.
>>
>>47044824
> 10% off
They only do $5 and 20% coupons, you twit.

Learn to kingdom build.
>>
>>47044957
That's exactly why this special 10% off coupon is being kept so safe,
>>
>>47036540
I really enjoyed Rogue all the way from 1-8 when I played it.

I was basically equal parts Lupin the III and Captain Blood. Shit was cash.
>>
>>47044957
That's why it's so rare and coveted. Get on my level.
>>
>>47044692
>blinding people at will at level 6
Seems sort of strong
>>
What do you guys think about the Deep Stalker Archetype for the Ranger published in the Unearthed Arcana.
Really all of its feats sound great, but is it enough to help the limpy Ranger out?
I thought to maybe play one with two hand crossbows + crossbowexpert+sharpshooter.
>>
>>47044988
IMO rogue is fun at three onwards. Warlock is fun at two onwards, once you get the silent image at will invocation.
>>
>>47044978
>>47044989
> Rare and coveted
> Objectively worse than items the towne crier distributes on a regular basis

Peasants everywhere.
>>
>>47045035
>two hand crossbows
>>
>>47045011
Bring the pain can only be used when entering or leaving a rage
So 8 times a day at level 6, assuming you wait to rage until you are in melee range of an enemy and drop rage before combat is over
>>
>>47039752
Defense. You're probably ditching your shield to grapple. My own grappler dropped his weapon, though.
>>
>>47045035
Can't use two crossbows dude
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats
But you can attack with the crossbow and use the bonus action to attack again with it.
>>
>>47045138
Don't play dumb. It's the very rarity that's appealing, not the usefulness.
>>
>>47045173
Well, thats fine too i guess or would you consider a different weapon instead?
>>
>>47039809
If there's an elf on the page, it's most likely PURPOSEFULLY goofy.
>mfw everyone thinks D&D Elves are Lord of the Rings / anime fucks
>>
>>47045198
We all know the true value of any Domestic Infinity Voucher is that it lets the user transcend the flow of time.

They maintain their value long after they say they won't.
>>
>>47036540
>DM my first game today
>made my (fairly shit) story, got the quest hooks and general dialogue down
>first enemy encounter, the skeleton ranger takes the penis of the corpse and grafts it to his body
>first human encounter, they ask him some questions then kill him and deface the statue of his god
>arrive at main village, they plot to rape and murder all the women, ignoring all the blatant quest hooks I set out for them
>in a 3 and a half hour session they got 0 quests done, they killed an old man, had a basement harem, the human fighter got three consecutive sad handjobs from the blacksmith, the skeleton ranger grafted an 11 inch yeti penis to his body and they only learned two pieces of information about the plot, which they will likely forget

These aren't normal Murder-hobos, these are fucking Mongol-hobos.
>>
>>47045215
Nah, the best weapon for this build is the hand xbow.
If you like the theme, go on with it.
>>
>>47045294
A YETI PENIS!? NOW THAT'S DANGEROUS!
>>
>>47045294
> First game
> Skeleton Ranger
You did this to yourself.
>>
>>47045294
Is your quest time-sensitive at all? If so, have shit hit the fan while they're busy jerking off over how edgy they are

Or have an adventuring party of about twice their level show up at the behest of the villagers and push their shit in
>>
What if we gave martials some quasi-invocations? The once/long rest variety. Your martial can pick from a variety of "super maneuvers" that have non-combat applications and primarily represent intense physical feats. They have stat requirements, so something like a 40 foot long jump wouldn't be available to a chowderhead with low Dex or Strength. Little things that remove the need for everyone to wait for the wizard to cast Jump repeatedly or Spider Crawl his way over the ledge to where he's going to get buttfucked by literally any monster or trap.

Slamming the ground to make a cone of difficult terrain, running up a wall or an impressive vertical jump, making a full-out sprint that's essentially Double Dash, and so on? The stuff that a cool DM might let you get away with on a skill check, especially if you can point to reality and say, "Well, actual athletes can do this no problem," but for people who are stuck with shitty DMs or are unimaginative.
>>
>>47045294
This is the point where you realize your party isn't the merry band of heroes, they're the bandit horde the townspeople are trying to HIRE a band of heroes to get rid of.
>>
>>47045426
Sounds like an Eldritch Knight that has given a bit of fluff to his somatic components instead of just hand waving them.
>>
>>47045294
Other retarded shit that happened:
>from the top of a mountain, the human fighter wanted to jump off and land in the village on the other side of the island.
>I let him try, somehow he only took 1 damage from the inevitable fall

>woman gives them quest to rescue her baby from kidnappers, they spent their time arguing about whether they should kill her now, kill her after doing the quest, rape her, steal the baby for themselves and sell it for more profit or any combination of the above.

>spend half their gold in a basement gang-bang with a random villager

>human fighter buys 34 beers, drinks them all and somehow avoids a hangover

>human sorcerer is cornered by gargoyle, decides to turn invisible, then disguise himself as the gargoyle's master and turn visible again in an attempt to trick him.

>same sorcerer tried to disgusie himself as Vecna to try and confuse the old man in the same way. got a knife in his face as a result

>>47045332
I gave him what I thought was a pretty balanced set of racial abilities. No need to sleep/eat, can reattatch limbs with a DC 15 Constitution throw (that's how he attatched the penis) and immunity to poison. He is still vulnerable to all types of attack and can die though.

>>47045358
The shitty "twist" i've incorporated is that them doing quests in this little village is actually collecting items to summon a wraith (eg. the baby actually belongs to the bandits they will steal it from and it will be sacrificed), but that kinda relies on them actually doing the quests without raping everyone. I might just introduce a second adventuring party that will try beat them to completing the quests if they don't shape up.
>>
>>47045294
Didn't we all do stupid shit in our first adventures? I remember mine, somebody crafted make-shift light-saber by combination of farting into alchemical bottle and... some other bullshit, it's been over ten fucking years. A dire-rat dropped a full plate and we all died eating mushrooms in dungeon because elf thought it was good idea.

...That is the first time they are playing, right?
>>
>>47045509
You should punish your players by forcing them to play FATAL until they learn what a real hero is.
>>
>>47045426
How about supernatural feats like the ability to hit an enemy eight times in six seconds with a maul, or to easily hit a tiny target that's 600 feet away and behind three-quarters cover?

Oh, wait...
>>
>>47045426
Why not just play 4th edition at that point?
>>
>>47045509
>>human sorcerer is cornered by gargoyle, decides to turn invisible, then disguise himself as the gargoyle's master and turn visible again in an attempt to trick him.
That's pretty good, actually.
>>same sorcerer tried to disgusie himself as Vecna to try and confuse the old man in the same way. got a knife in his face as a result
That's fucking stupid. Your party is stupid.
>>
>>47045516
This is the third adventure, but my first time DMing. There are three of us and we have rotated who is DMing for each adventure.
>>
>>47045547
>a level 20 fighter and combat
>>
>>47045600
Thats_the_joke.jpg
>>
>>47045426
The thing is, most of those things are already doable in game through feats and class features

Thieves can wallrun and rogues and monks can double dash, barbarians, monks and fighters with the athlete feat can do crazy jumps

The only thing you can't do is cast earth tremor in a cone
>>
>>47045708
>The only thing you can't do is cast earth tremor in a cone
And that's okay, because that would be stupid.
>>
File: 1435961027148.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1435961027148.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47045426
scroll down to the "martial dice" section
>>
>>47045729
Pretty much

I wish these memes would go away already
>>
>>47045708
>barbarians, monks and fighters with the athlete feat can do crazy jumps

IIRC athlete doesn't increase the length of your jumps at all, just reduces the distance you need to run to perform a running jump

i think thieves and champions get small bonuses to specific kinds of jumping, but i wouldn't call it crazy
>>
>>47045763
>i wish martials would stay in their little combat pen and leave the roleplay to the big boys
>just be more imaginative faggot, but remember that we casters will always be better at it if we want
>>
>>47045744
> Aim
What.
>>
>>47045954
Enemy has 16 AC and is behind cover providing +2 AC, for a total of 18. You don't like the odds of hitting this.

You make a Wisdom - Insight check vs. DC 12 (10 plus the AC his cover provides). If you succeed, the enemy's AC is only 16 against your attack; if you fail, his AC is 18 and you have disadvantage.
>>
>>47045917
>Performing literally impossible feats is "roleplaying
I'm sorry if I don't like my weapons experts performing magic feats by stomping the ground REALLY HARD.
You want to crack the Earth, play an Eldritch Knight. A pure martial shouldn't be able to do things that are physically impossible.

>>47045954
All of those combat options are kind of stupid tbqh
>>
>>47045917
Fyi I only play martials when I don't have to DM, but glad I could give you an opportunity to be a faggot memester
>>
Oh joy, somebody proposed something useful to fix martial vs mage, and everyone proceeded to forget what the problem actually is.

Here's the problem: casters universally always have far more options than a martial. Martials can generally only interact with the game through skill checks or combat. Mages get skill checks, combat, and spells. This means that 99.99%of what a martial can do, a mage can theoretically do as well. But martials can only theoretically do half the things mages can. That's a huge imbalance.

There are two ways to fix this: add exclusive, martial only options like weeaboo fightan magic. Or make it so spells come at the cost of skills, meaning mages will have bad skill checks generally. You could do this by introducing a feat tax for spells and proficiency bonus, while giving martials more feats.
>>
>>47045744
Man, why weren't these weapons included in base release. Would've made for some nice Exotics.
>Gunblade
Why.
>>
>>47046040
This. But prepare for people to say MARTIALS ALREADY HAVE MORE FEATS, because martials = Fighters only to some people.
>>
>>47046017
>A pure martial shouldn't be able to do things that are physically impossible.

they already can though.

>>47046073
"gunblades" were a real, if uncommon, piece of equipment. think of it like a reverse bayonet.
>>
>>47046004
Yes, thank you, I can read. It's just mechanically incoherent and thematically silly: under what circumstances would taking time to aim ever cause you to miss worse?

It should be wis check as written, advantage OR AC negation (both is ridiculous, effectively +7 in your example), no effect if failed, and it should cost a bonus action. If you aim, you can't hide.
>>
>Crit on a skill check always means success
Anyone play like this? What about saves?
>>
>>47046017
>playing heroic fantasy game
>everyone is bound by physics hardcore except magic users, who have a bajillion and one ways to circumvent them by design and are given blank checks to imagine whatever the fuck they want
>the physics-bound fighters are also bound by the mechanical rules in cases where the physics of reality allow for superior performance than the book dictates, essentially giving them DISADVANTAGE ON PHYSICS
>>
>>47046165
It doesn't give you advantage if you succeed, it only nullifies their AC bonus. The disadvantage on failure is there to make it a risky move; if it were only "get positive effect if you succeed, get the status quo if you fail", there would never be a choice to NOT use Aim on someone in cover. Risk:reward. Mechanical balance. Sometimes it trumps what "makes sense".
>>
>>47046165
shaky hands? Misjudging wind and other details? Failed attempts to lead the target?
>>
>>47046148
Gunpowder weapons aren't included as options in the PHB for a reason, stop being a faggot.
>>
>>47046040
See, the problem is not that, but rather the fact that a lot of people, like you, believe that there should be specific rules regarding what martials can and cant do

And then there's people, like me, who believe martials having freeform skills allows for more and better options and codeifying things would only restrict that

Clearly our positions are diametrically opposed and there will never be a consensus, so do your changes and and I will be happy that they will never be anything but shitty (imho) houserules
>>
>>47046184
If you want to be able to create tremors or fly (which is apparently a martial dice option in the homebrew), just play a fucking caster. If your fighter can fly, he's not a fucking fighter.
>>
>>47046238
> Shaky hands
What is Dex for?

> Misjudging Wind
What is the wisdom check for?

> Failed attempts to lead the target
...a target that's hiding behind a box needs to be led?
>>
>>47046218
> leaving cover yourself is not a risky move
Yes, it's easy to see the faults in a combat system when you don't read the rules.
>>
>>47046165
>under what circumstances would taking time to aim ever cause you to miss worse?

when you're trying to make a tricky shot at someone behind cover. i would say it represents trying to pull off a more risky shot that bypasses the cover if successful, but if it fails it's not going to do much.
>>
>>47046256
You need to reread what I posted. You clearly didn't understand it.

It doesn't matter that skills are more freeform. What matters is that wizards and warriors have equal access to the freeform skill system, but warriors have to give up spells for it, and wizards give up nothing.

Any thing you think of that a martial can do with the skill system, a mage could also theoretically do with the same skill system, but ain't nothing is gonna let a fighter cast high level spells.
>>
>>47046256
the game already has a number of codified martial abilities. some of them aren't very good, but they're there.
>>
>>47046256
I'm actually contemplating just giving Martials proficiency with Improvised Actions, and maybe advantage at some higher level.
>>
>>47046336
You're implying that without using this action, you're just firing at the cover intentionally.
Aiming is part of shooting a bow. Every time you aim, you're doing your best to hit. Making this an extra action therefore makes little sense.
>>
>>47046333
What are you even talking about? Just because an enemy has cover against YOU does not mean you have cover against them. What part of this example or the way the book is written gives you the impression that you need to "leave cover" (that you don't have) to take this aimed shot at an enemy in cover?
>>
>>47046406
But anon, if I believe hard enough, I can bypass even the most solid barrier.
>>
>>47038632

Because 3.5 has actual options, not "pick this fighting style from a list then play AD&D"

> inb4 you try to pretend 5e feats present any real options

> inb4 you pretend "backgrounds" are someone adding to the game in any way and are anything but another way to minmax

> inb4 you pretend fighter archetypes do anything to caster supremacy.
>>
>>47046430
> I've never played a ranged combatant
Crossbow Rogue 101: shoot, hide, repeat.

Stopping to perform a trick shot should remove your capacity to hide. That's easily penalty enough.
>>
File: wuxiaintensifies.jpg (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
wuxiaintensifies.jpg
61 KB, 500x375
>>47046288
>If your fighter can fly, he's not a fucking fighter.
He is if he's Chinese.
>>
>>47046470
And if you're a Ranger or Fighter with a bow..?
>>
>>47046288
the "flight" in the homebrew is basically jump+.
>>
>>47046288
All of these are abstractions, friend. He's not flying so much as either jumping super high or doing that Wuxia sky-run shit, but it's much easier to say he has the Fly spell on him than to reexplain it.

>>47046523
He gets it.
>>
>>47046483
>Not an animated gif
I don't even have a word for how weak your kungfu is.
>>
All 5E has done for martials is make their damage not dog dick anymore (in some cases. The idea that all martials are level 20 Fighters with unlimited Action Surges is stupid.) It has done nothing to address the out-of-combat utility that magic provides and continues to relegate the fighty-types to the combat portion of the game. The only move out of that hole the system has made is putting them on nearer-to-equal footing with skill checks.
>>
>>47046371
Why not make the martials better with the freeform skill system? Give them constant advantage, or increase their passive ability scores for the purposes of doing cool shit. Maybe some sort of resource that fills up whenever cool shit is done. Like advantage, but for badass moments.
>>
>>47045035
>>47045144
>>47045173

>>47045155
Yeah, I'm ditching a shield because I need to use a finesse weapon in the other hand for sneak attacking.
>>
>>47046559
I've actually tried for a while to find nice wuxia gifs or webms but the Internet refuses to provide. I'd have to make them myself, and I would, but my harddrive space is full of westerns and train movies at the moment.
>>
>>47046371
Look guy, I'm done, you won't convince me and i wont convince you, just do your thing where you need a card to tell you what you can do and I'll play D&D
>>
>>47046590
You just came to the right place my ricenigga. I'm you but with 200 gigs of Kung-Fu movies.

Any requests, my man?

Oh, and it's still me, the wuxia guy from last thread. How does this sound as an ability for a stealthy character?:

Unnoticeable: You can weave distractions into your every movement, misdirecting people with an errant gaze. So long as you aren’t being actively searched for, you gain double your proficiency score to any Hide checks. In addition, you may distract someone who is suspicious of your presence but hasn’t seen you yet, and trick them into investigating a nearby area within 30 feet. This ability is an action, and you make either a Sleight of Hand or Deception check against your target’s Insight check.
>>
>>47046406
maybe "aim" is a bad name for it. something like "trick shot" might be better.
>>
Just created my character, first one after 3 years of not playing, in a new playgroup.

Rate my character please.

Made a Gnome Lich that lost his phylactery and doesn't remember that he was a lich, essentially being an undead necromancer that just looks like a really fucking old, ugly bastard. Only clue he has to where to head is a letter he has that he can't decipher, which contains locations and instructions required to get to his phylactery. He wrote that letter himself back when he was a lich and had linguist but can't read his own cipher anymore. The party finds him locked up in a jail cell during an orc siege at the town they're in. His extra-gimmick is that he uses a skeletal right hand as his familiar that is, supposedly, his dead sister's right hand, or at least supposed to be, and still has parts of her personality in it.

His alignment is Chaotic Good, only becoming a lich to proof the bastards at his former academy, that kicked him out for playing around with necromancy, that his theories and all work out fine, never really doing any special harm as a lich and basically only going that far "because he could", hence why there aren't any notable records of his lichdom activities back in his prime time.

Personality is still somewhat typically gnomish, though he can be a dick if people disagree with him and he has a firm believe in a meritocratic worldview, thinking that achievements should equal power.

How does that sound? Blog over.
>>
>>47046628
>hurf you dumb martial lovers need things spelled out for you
>don't mind me, just pouring over the technical specifications of my fucking spell list
Not the guy you're done arguing with, but the problem with you and others like you is that you've got this idea that most DMs or players are cool and interested in a nice balance between the classes as far as abilities and pillars of the game go, but they're not. They're grognards, you're a grognard, it's grognards all the way down.

You want to do something interesting or impressive? No, fuck off. We're done. Or "I don't think that's possible in reality". Is something ACTUALLY possible in reality? Then "Well, the book says it's impossible". And that's fine, the DM has final say over everything, but then we go to the other side of the table and have the wizard asking to do something impressive and non-standard with his magic and it works without so much as a fucking Arcana check, even when it's explicitly against the text of the spell.

And this is the point where I get ten (You)s saying "sounds like you have some shitty DMs, i never have that problem". Yeah, this argument comes up every other thread with five guys on either side because it's such a rarity.
>>
>>47046523
>>47046540
>You can fly for a number of rounds equal to the result of your dice
There's literally no way to interpret this as refluffed jumping. You can stay airborne for a minute without moving. That's not something a fighter should be able to do.
>>
any interesting ideas concerning cool creepy moments to integrate in Curse of Strahd ? to make things more atmospheric ?
>>
>>47046733
>Chaotic Good
When we're done with arguing about martials, I want alignment systems to be our next topic.
>>
>>47046073
>>Gunblade
>Why.
Because a friend dared me to.
>>
>>47046752
> I've only played with shitters
> Everyone is shitters

If you aren't having fun, don't play.
>>
>>47046784
While I agree that flying, especially like that and with such little limitation, is silly for the vast majority of martial characters, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I don't ban Wizards because Clone/Simulacrum/Wish is stupid.
>>
>>47046636
Not that non but: this is no more powerful than a rogue with stealth expertise and a pebble. Go for it.
>>
Double-jumping, triple jumping, slowing falls to a crawl, all of those are par for the course in wuxia.

>>47046848
Thanks. A real focus for the ideas were to give martial guaranteed uses of their abilities, because I get semi-salted when I fail a stealth check because of the dice, but then the wizard casts invisibility without trouble.
>>
>>47046784
>At the end of each turn while you have this fly speed, you fall if you end your turn in midair.

you can't stay airborne more than six seconds
>>
>>47036540
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g
>>
>>47046628
I won't convince you because you don't know how to read.

>>47046585
This works. Giving martials a pseudo fate points system sounds fun.
>>
>>47046795
When I GMed Death House I kept adding little things while they explored the lower floors.
They could hear chanting sometimes in some rooms (ones frequented by the father), a crying baby that got clearer the farther up the house they went, etc. Never consistently, and never in the same place twice, and not commonly.

A mild touch I added that alarmed them was when one went into the kitchen and found it empty, I had them make an easy Perception check.
Hearing a noise, they turned to see the rolling pin on the counter having shifted just an inch and slowly rolling back and forth a tiny bit, like it had just been put down a second ago and it was settling itself.
>>
>>47046913
I guess I missed that. I'm slightly less salty now.

>>47046898
I'm not sure what the RAW is, but I'd rule invisibility only gives advantage to stealth. You might be more likely to succeed as a rogue than as an invisible wizard in that case.
But I get your point.
>>
>>47046297
>what is the wisdom check for
My point exactly, fuck up the check and you get disadvantage because you misread the situation.
>>
>>47046371
Not that anon, but what you seem to be failing to understand is that even if what you are saying is true about spellcasters being in some way superior to non-spellcasters, non-spellcasters remain a hugely-popular character type. If tons of people are happy to play Champion or Thief as-is, anything you do to open up a world of additional rules for them is fixing something that is not, in fact, broken.

In short, if playing as a non-spellcaster isn't appealing to you, I recommend playing a spellcaster.
>>
>>47047020
Faulty logic, tons of people played fighters and monks in 3e and they were still poorly designed. People sometimes settle for poor options and still enjoy them, but it doesn't mean they are getting as much fun out of those options as they could be if they were designed better. It's a low standard to say everything is okay because an option isn't literally unplayable.

I'm not saying 5e is like 3e, or that 5e martials are bad, I'm just saying your argument isn't very good.
>>
>>47047102
>badwrongfun
>>
File: MyDude.webm (3 MB, 1280x546) Image search: [Google]
MyDude.webm
3 MB, 1280x546
>>47046590
>>
>>47047102
My argument is fine, you're just projecting your preference onto others. Fighters and Monks were wildly popular character classes in 3e. If your girlfriend orgasms every time you fuck, you're good at fucking. It doesn't matter if your technique is just right, you're getting the job done. Don't tell her she shouldn't be getting off because you're not fucking her right.
>>
>>47046589
Oops, forgot to include my response to these:

>>47045035
>>47045144
>>47045173
Two ideas:

Take Magic Initiate feat: Find Familiar (squirrel)
>Dual-Wield hand crossbows
>Familiar on your shoulders
>Have Familiar take the Prepare action on its turn, preparing to reload your first hand crossbow immediately after you fire it
>fire both crossbows using Attack+Extra Attack
>bonus action fire the crossbow the familiar reloaded
Then either
a) Drop the crossbows to the ground; next turn draw a heavy crossbow from your back
b) Take the Dual-Wielder feat; drop the crossbows to the ground; next turn draw two hand-crossbows and repeat the above greentext

Although this nonsense with the hand-crossbows is only 3d6+2*dex (mean 10.5 + 2*dex damage) whereas just doing Attack+Extra Attack with the heavy crossbow does 2d10+2*dex (mean 11 + 2*dex damage) so there isn't really a clear benefit.

ALTHOUGH, if you take the Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style, the hand-crossbow trick will dish out 3d6+3*dex which should bump your damage higher than Attack+Extra Attack with the heavy crossbow. But then you're giving up the Archery fighting style.

Furthermore, this requires dropping 150gp to the ground which is not really a very great idea. So yah. I have more suggestions on this topic if anyone cares to hear them. Although I have a feeling that I just spent a bunch of time replying to people who have left the thread, but oh well.
>>
Anyone have a .pdf of the players handbook I can download onto my mobile?
>>
>>47047167
This scene really would have benefited from doing a slo-mo close-up of the right guy positioning his feet.
>>
>>47047102
There are people who are always satisfied with suboptimal builds or playstyles because they either don't care, don't know any better, or just prefer simplicity or whatever that character DOES do properly more than the alternatives.

But you're right. The number of people enjoying something doesn't mean it's equally as useful. Those people could very well be having MORE fun if their Barbarian were capable of doing astounding things outside of combat without having to lube the DM up first.
>>
>>47047258
Have you considered checking out the OP, friend?
>>
>>47047258
It's in the MEGA in the OP.
>>
>>47046040
I hate this argument. Yes casters can theoretically do anything, but they can't do everything at the same time, they're typically worse at any particular task than their martial equivalent, and they can't do anything more than a few times per day without crippling themselves.

Your wizard will never be a better rogue than the rogue or be better at fighting than the fighter. If he tries to be, then he's just going to waste spell slots and make himself useless in other areas.

You should worry less about casters just being able to do things, because that's less relevant than how well they can do those things.
>>
>>47036540
Do we have the Zandikar Art book? Just to help with terrain ideas for Planeshift Zandikar?
>>
>>47046809
I cut my own hair on a dare, doesn't mean that it was a good idea.
>>
>>47047314
>>47047316
Can't use mega on mobile
>>
>>47047307
>the only reason why people enjoy thing is because they're ignorant plebes
>>
>>47047370
Email it to yourself you fucking dunce.
>>
>>47047370
Oh. Have you considered having a better mobile device?

>>47047376
> you're having fun wrong, let me fix that for you
>>
>>47046795
I'm using fear and horror checks from the DMG. Also harder healing rules and rest variant. I'm also thinking about lingering injuries. Creepy music is a must, along with ominous voice and long descriptions of stuff. Make Strahd as scary and charismatic as you can.
>>
>>47046733
You should look at the personal characteristics part of the PHB and come up with some traits, they're a lot more detailed and telling if your character's personality than alignments.
Possible twist for your character becoming a lich did turn him evil so he hid away the truth and any evidence from himself in the hopes it would return him to something resembling normal
>>
>>47045509
>I let him try, somehow he only took 1 damage from the inevitable fall
How though?
>>
>>47047327
The bard is a better rogue than the rogue. If you're going to bring up the skillmonkey martial, at least compare it to the caster skillmonkey. Otherwise you're being so obviously disingenuous that nobody can take your seriously.
>>
How would you build a luchadore within the basic rules of 5e ?
>>
>>47047327
And a Fighter with interesting stuff to do outside of combat will never be a better caster than the Wizard.

You're missing the big picture here. Surely you don't mean to imply that Barbarians and Fighters should be dull because they do the most damage in a fight. You're saying, instead, that the Fighter is good at fighting; he excels in combat. But the Wizard CAN ALSO EXCEL IN COMBAT. He has access to damaging spells which, YES, do not match the power of a level 20 Fighter burning Action Surge, but are potent nonetheless, and a host of buffing and control abilities the martials almost entirely lack. The Wizard is still USEFUL in combat, just not necessarily in the same way as the Fighter.

OUTSIDE OF COMBAT, there's nothing a Fighter can do that any caster with similar statistics or background could not. They have access to the same suite of abilities when we put the d20s away. The exploration and social aspects of the game are immensely large parts of it, and it's just fucking dumb to let a couple of caster classes eat everyone else's cake while hoarding their own. The casters can succeed just as hard as the skillmonkeys at various checks, or use magic to completely alleviate the need to make a check in the first place. We won't let the martials jump 15 feet, despite actual athletes having no trouble with that, but Wizard's got five spells to get around that. That wouldn't be a problem if THE DISTANCE WEREN'T 15 FUCKING FEET. No one's saying Fighters need equal opportunity to Merge with Stone, Summon Creatures, or Lightning Bolt. But if they want to perform an interesting PHYSICAL FEAT, we should encourage it and not leave the door open to so much "no, eight attacks a round is all they need" or "ask your DM". If these constant arguments are any indication, half the thread are DMs who'd say "fuck no, you're a Fighter, you can't jump high".
>>
>>47047439
That's exactly my point, this whole argument is going in circles

>martials are bad
>but I like martials
>only shitters like martials
>but a lot of people do too
>it doesn't matter, I know what you should like, and if you don't you're a shitter
>>
File: relaxing luchadors.jpg (48 KB, 758x426) Image search: [Google]
relaxing luchadors.jpg
48 KB, 758x426
>>47047523
I did exactly that with a Mountain Dwarf Battlemaster Fighter with Tavern Brawler and the Entertainer (Wrestling) background. Modeled him after the El Santo / Blue Demon movies.

It was muy efectivo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr1X8HQVekc
>>
>>47047572
Nobody is saying people shouldn't like martials. They're saying that martials have fundamental balance problems that result in a lot of people not liking them.
>>
>>47047633
I like martials but also recognize that they have fundamental balance problems and it would be possible to like them a lot more if those were fixed.
>>
>>47047597
Wouldn't you need the grappler feat too ?
>>
>>47047523
by Basic Rules do you mean the free SRD stuff? Or do you mean core PHB stuff? Core PHB my preferred approach to the lucha libre is Lord College Bard with Expertise in Athletics. Because the lucha is art, baby. The lucha is performance. The lucha is family. The lucha is love.
>>
>>47047664
And I like martials and I recognize they're fine as they are
>>
>>47047710
No. The Grappler feat is retarded.
>you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures you're grappling
I already have advantage because I've fucking Push Attacked them to the ground.
>you can blow another action to restrain yourself and a target if you succeed another grapple check
Restraining myself AND my target gives us both advantage and disadvantage, so everything cancels out (including my advantage for having them Prone). Now he can hit me just as well as I can hit him. This restraining only helps my party if someone is using Dex save attacks and carefully-aimed AoEs, and when the fuck is that going to happen?
>creatures one size larger don't auto-succeed rolls to escape your grapple
I'm not grappling giants, and even if they auto-succeed, they have wasted their action to do it. Considering that my initiating the grapple was a bonus action thanks to Tavern Brawler, I don't feel bad.
>>
Unearthed Arcana was supposed to come out today, wasn't it?
>>
>>47047770
They're better than fine. In the campaigns I've played in so far they're frequently the MVP. Specifically Fighters. Because Second Wind is no joke when ain't nobody got hit points at low levels.
>>
>>47047770
And I like martials and recognize that casters having the same options and then some is not fine
>>
>>47047813
>combat
>>
>>47036540
Upload of AL adventures when?
>>
>>47047813
>my dm doesn't run exploration or social encounters: the post
>>
>>47047835
> sorry guys, I don't have any spells prepared for that non-combat thing
every fucking game session

> step aside, nerd, the party Thief's got it covered.
>>
>>47047788
>I'm not grappling giants
A true lucha fears no challenge
>>
>>47047863
>Suggesting D&D rules actually cover exploration or social interaction worth a damn
>Taking the Three Pillars theory seriously
>>
>>47047460
Well, his background is that of a sage with his traits (ideals, bonds and flaws) in essence being "If you did some sweet-ass shit, you should be the one people listen to. Also, I WILL do that shit, even if it kills me (again)." for his leading ideals, his sister's hand/spirit being his only remaining bond, since he was around 300 already when ascending to lichdom and spending a yet unspecified amount of time as a lich and his biggest flaws being him being incredibly forgetting, hardly being able to remember a lot of stuff (ironically, he has Keen Mind and can remember conversations perfectly) which was most likely part of the reason he lost his phylactery. His second flaw is just how spiteful he can be if people disagree with him or disprove something he stated, essentially being utter shit when it comes to taking any criticism.

That twist does sound interesting, though I'll probably have to talk to the DM about it first and see how the party as a whole reacts to me, since they have a cleric and a paladin in there, though the entire crew pretty much qualifies as evil at this point anyway. I do like the idea of trying to force myself into a 'regular' life again by simply turning myself amnesiac. Could easily just find out just what had happened and still stay good when I eventually regain my powers, since I'm still a "full" lich, including phylactery respawning and all, just without any of my necromantic superpowers remaining.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.