[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Battletech General: Highlander Burial Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: 1440689686702.png (235 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1440689686702.png
235 KB, 400x400
/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

Old Thread: >>46740964

===================================
Combat Manuals: Mercenaries (final build)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/62qpwm49e3pjdgn/E-CAT35260_Combat_Manual_Mercenaries.pdf

Touring the Stars Compilation
https://mega.nz/#!ixlWHA5Y!VC7rjxgsAxnDddAkvqFU2LF2U7oU8zE_X6dYUV5Ggqs

Touring the Stars Manassas
https://mega.nz/#!vt8k2DaS!IR0VJXpFyhcWhDOZHF_uNo7yaBHNqKo2h-2nrSaENRc
===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
If you had to sum up your favorite unit/faction with a single song, what would it be?
>>
Curious, but why does the Republic insist on having Liao as theirs when it's a world named after the Capellan ruling family?

Did they really think they were going to keep possession of that indefinitely?
>>
>>46779157

It's within X number of light years of Terra, same as everything else they demanded.

Liao isn't even the most WTF-inducing gift from a successor house. The Dracs handed Deiron over.

"Why, yes, Devlin. Please, have this planet. It's only the majority of our surviving military manufacturing complex, the site of critical training facilities, a vital economic centre, and where we base at least a third of or military command structure. It's not like we need it or anything."
>>
>>46779296

From what I read, Liao wasn't a gift. They took that.

> Deiron

Maybe Hohiro was dedicated to the idea of the Republic of the Sphere?

From what I gathered, by the time the Jihad ended, many seemed tired of conflict and desired and or seemed ready to support a stabilizing influence.

Something the Republic could provide.
>>
>>46779034
I like the pirate factions from MWDA
http://youtu.be/YPEG7Q0moIc
>>
>>46779157
>>46779296
It isn't like Russia sold Alaska for 2 cents per acre...
>>
>>46779529

Terrible analogy is terrible.

The Dracs and Caps giving up Deiron and Liao makes as much sense as the FWL giving up Regulus, the Lyrans handing over Coventry, or the Feddies trading away Robinson.

It's not just that there's important stuff to each state on those worlds, they're places of national pride, historical sites as well.

Realistically they would never have been bargained away. This is one of the things that make people call it the Derp Age or use similar epithets.
>>
>>46779529

The Russians only sold it because the writer is a huge Ameriboo and in a just universe the Russians would get it back like they deserve.
>>
I just had an idea after seeing NEA's Introbox lances: alternate lances for TWO introboxes used together
I thought it up because my buddy just bought the new introbox, and i've got the old 4e set, so I thought that you'd be able to do more with two of each mech
>>
File: 1460851711788.jpg (197 KB, 805x908) Image search: [Google]
1460851711788.jpg
197 KB, 805x908
>>46779034
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88
>>
>>46779667
>Deiron
>meme thing is meme
>derp age
Anon, please stop
You are talking like a 2007 teenager

Like or not the fluff gives a plausible, even if unlikely, explanation for Dieron being given to the Republic. Of all the stupid things that happen in Battletech that hardly the most unbelievable of them.
>>
>>46779529
It would be like Russia selling Moscow. I agree with >>46779667, terrible analogy is terrible.
>>
>>46779796

Yeah. "This planet is absolutely critical for our post-Jihad recovery and we're getting nothing in exchange for giving it to you, so you can totally have it. Oh, and Quentin, we don't need it either."

Totally plausible. You're right, I'm convinced.

Holy shit you're a retard.
>>
>>46779529
I like the Dark Age and also analogies, but smdh right here.
>>
>>46779796
fucking kill yourself you dumb stupid fuck
>>
>>46775972

NEA, requesting that repost before this thread devolves into utter shit.

>in b4 "too late"
>>
>>46780085

Watching hockey. Will repost at the next intermission.
>>46778277
>making an introtech Level II using NEA's guide as a basis
>each of the other five players have the Great House lances according to said guide
>leaves me a Quickdraw, Whitworth, Clint, Cicada and an Assassin
>This is going to be a hot mess. Oh well, give praise to Blake!

Playing a theoretically 6-unit Lvl 2 in BV-balanced games against forces designed to have only 4 units is going to be rough no matter what you do.

Try this - abusing the fact that almost none of the Mechs you listed have WoB variants anyway, so you may as well pull from the whole Inner Sphere as "salvage".

Quickdraw -8K (1,583 BV)
Assassin ASN-99 (1116 BV)
Withworth WTH-3 (861)
Clint -5U (1275)
Cicada -CDA-3P (1502)

6,337 total BV with regular pilots. That's ROUGHLY in line with the other Jihad-era lances. I'd be OK with giving the ASN a 4/4 pilot, regardless of what that does to the final unit BV.
>>
>>46779796
Sorry but Derp Age is fitting for most of that era.
>>
>>46780151
>Level II
>only five mechs listed
Uh, NEA. Looks like you missed something
>>
>>46780586

Look at the greentext.
>>
>>46780607
Ah. My mistake
>>
>>46775622
>the "breaking SGLRMs" story was requested for repost

So, this was the battlefield for Odessa, Day 2, at Gencon 2008. I *THINK* is pic was from pretty late in the day, after we'd wipe out the entire coalition force and the coalition reinforcements and the coalition transfer force from the other table.

It was relatively simple. Both sides had to advance into the paved area on the board and secure the city center. One of the gimmicks of the game was that we had - due to the previous day's win - the ability to cherry-pick our own reinforcements and force mix to a limited degree. So we had a "base of fire" force on the hill on the bottom left (1 Devastator, 1 Longbow -12C, 1 Shogun, plus at least 3 C3i LRM Mechs at all times), a half-dozen C3i LRM Carriers out of LOS, and half-dozen or so of light, jump-capable TAG-equipped units. There was some other C3i floating around as well that I can't recall. Every LRM we had on the battlefield was SGLRM. Other assorted elements participated, as well.

It's not much of a story, honestly. They advanced into the city trying to capture the building in the middle (IIRC, "stay adjacent to it for 2 full turns w/o moving"), and we jumped TAG spotters around in the city, always trying to get at least 4 TAG spotters focus-firing on one unit to ensure it was lazed. That unit then pretty much vanished under the weight of 500-ish LRMs all ignoring indirect penalties, spotter movement penalties, and at "short" range, fired from stationary attackers.

The people running the game hadn't seen SG-LRMs used in this sort of manner before, and everyone was totally unprepared on how to deal with it. Eventually, a group of unattackable DropShips air-dropped Battle Armor directly into a Swarm Attack on the LRM carriers, but by then we'd destroyed 30-something Mechs for the loss of 2 of our own. This is what led directly into Ben Rome rewriting the next-day's game to intentionally make the WoB lose.
>>
>>46780607
>>46780676
Maybe add a platoon of infantry?
>>
>>46780934

Oh, other important tidbit. The Coalition kept taking assault Mechs. Nothing but assaults, basically, until they ran out of them. So they were almost exclusively 3/5 or 4/6/0 for the day. Which meant that they had to plod across the whole goddamn field to get to the target building, which took (IIRC) ~4 turns to do. It also meant that once we'd smashed their initial push, they started coming on to the board in groups of 2-3 units. Being the tactical geniuses that they are, they didn't hang back and mass for another assault, they just ran up to try and get the objective. In groups of 2-3 Mechs at a time. Against a dozen+ dug-in units that had clear fire superiority. In the pic, you can see how strung out they are.

I will say that, to their credit, the Coalition did have ONE GUY who tried to get them to slow down, not get strung out, and work together. Nobody would listen to him, they explicitly told him to "not try and run our stuff", and IIRC he walked off the table after the first two blocks.

So, to quote Dark Helmet, "now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is *dumb*."

Oh, and there was a JaegerMech (not a Cincy guy, but piloted by "Wasp" on the OF) who racked up like 7 kills that day, including two Grasshoppers. Both Hoppers were killed by long-range CT crits from AC/2s. You can see him at the top left hill in the pic in >>46775622 (You). It was amazing to watch.
>>
>>46780955

>>46775726
>It does make you wonder whether the devs play the game if unique tactics like "Shell the living fuck out of the enemy" and "Spotters can rek you" aren't anticipated. Perhaps they...only play 3025?

No, it's that they don't play games at this *scale*. Almost nobody does.

The impact of a C3i/TAG/SG-LRMs in a game that is company-scale is way, WAY less than in a game this size. In a company-scale game, generally you're going to have 2-3 LRM Mechs taking advantage of the equipment synergy. They are generally going to be able to put ABOUT 30-40 LRMs per Mech on a target (about 120 total, of which you'd expect to see roughly 60-80 hit after misses and the Cluster Table). That's a lot of damage, but it's not "remove a Mech in one turn" damage, barring lucky crits. And if your 1-2 TAG spotters miss their TAG shots that turn, you get even less effective.

In a Battalion-scale game, though, it's entirely different. You can devote almost an ENTIRE Level 2 to JUST LRM suppression. Two TAG spotters and 4 C3i LRM carriers is usually suicide on a 2 or 4-map, company scale game. But here, where there's a ton of room to actually get within weapons range of the enemy, and where there's a significant enough force on the table that you can afford to devote those units to fire support and still mount a credible conventional offense, it's totally different.

Finally, at the time, SG-LRMs were still thought of as relatively new and rare, only available to the WoB and FWL. Except that this was one of the first dedicated WoB canon events, AND it was the first time in canon play we'd gotten to choose our own ammo on ALL of our forces. So even among the people who played these games regularly, we hadn't actually done something like this before. The theory - cooked up at Steak N Shake the previous evening during our "Strategy & Shakes" meeting - was sound...but we'd never done LRM support on this scale, so even we were unsure how it was going to work.
>>
>>46773825
For vees it can help mitigate missile hits a little

For 'Mechs, almost entirely flavor.

>>46773837
>And what do you think of the two new Blessed Order 'Mechs, the Uraeus and Kheper?

Uraeus is a steaming pile of shit, Kheper is a fragile "trooper" for lack of a better term

>>46774026
>The Gestalt.
>Besides the horrific JJ situation

Huh?
>>
>>46780934
>>46780955
>>46780994

OK, repost done.

>>46780949

Big point of the introbox project was to create forces of Mechs only; no unit that aren't in the introbox. Infantry isn't.

That said, a Level 1 of Battle armor would fit pretty well in there, once they get past Introbox-only. You could safely budget 250 BV to buy them, and they would get you 6 of several types (though not Purifiers or heavy BA).
>>
>>46780994
>Finally, at the time, SG-LRMs were still thought of as relatively new and rare, only available to the WoB and FWL. Except that this was one of the first dedicated WoB canon events, AND it was the first time in canon play we'd gotten to choose our own ammo on ALL of our forces. So even among the people who played these games regularly, we hadn't actually done something like this before. The theory - cooked up at Steak N Shake the previous evening during our "Strategy & Shakes" meeting - was sound...but we'd never done LRM support on this scale, so even we were unsure how it was going to work.

See, what bothers me about this explanation is that I saw this potential instantly when I found out about SG LRMs, as a BT scrub. And yet the people who made them didn't? And it wasn't revealed in playtesting? It just seems so bizarre to have this sort of thing not be understood.
>>
>>46781112
>And it wasn't revealed in playtesting?
>playtesting
>>
>>46781086
Oh I wasn't sure. My version came with record sheets for infantry so I assumed they were valid and would be a cheap BV filler for that anon.
>>
Speaking of force creation, I need a hand putting together some OpFor
I need a 3055 canopian unusually heavy lance, like ~65 ton average.
I'm putting the finishing touches on the private guard of a canopian noblewoman who the player merc unit has been hired to "extradite" to the FWL to face war crime charges from the Andurein mess.
I've already got the other units figured out, I'd just like some input on the special boys of the guards
>>
So is Wolf-in-Exile dead now or what?
>>
>>46781112
>See, what bothers me about this explanation is that I saw this potential instantly when I found out about SG LRMs, as a BT scrub. And yet the people who made them didn't? And it wasn't revealed in playtesting? It just seems so bizarre to have this sort of thing not be understood.

See the bit about "scale" and nobody** playing games in that size.

**nobody who mattered, at the time (old FASA days).

Generally speaking, when playtesting does happen, it's not in giant game. It's in lance-sized games. Company at MOST. Even when we playtested stuff, for BT and Levs, we weren't running huge actions - it's more important to be able to play something through a lot of possible opposition rather than spend all that time playing one giant game with a shitton of variables that make getting an accurate read difficult. Even now, it's more valuable to take 10 hours to play 5 different games to playtest a thing, rather than take 10 hours to play 1 giant game.

Oh, and stuff generally isn't balanced with the expectation of a 40 v 40 Mech fight. It's balanced for 4-12 vs 4-12 games. SG-LRMs *AREN'T* this broken in games that size, period.
>>
>>46781323
Probably definitely maybe. All we have to go on are offhand mentions in a TRO. The Kell Hounds are probably DOA though. Luckily, if the WiE are dead, most of their best new tech is made on Donegal.
>>
>>46781289

3055? You're not gonna like it...

Shad -2H
Shad -2H
Thunderbolt -5S
Marauder -3R

The Shads are manufactured in the MoC, guaranteed. The MoC MIGHT be able to manufacture the Marauder; sources differ, and honestly I can't be arsed to remember what's been retconned and what hasn't. The MAD shows up on their RATs, in any case. Finally, the T-bolt is universally available.

Given that as of 3055, the MoC is still generally working off of the model of "we only manufacture bugs, Shads, and get MADs from someplace, and that's our whole military-industrial complex", this actually *is* an unusually heavy lance. It's not until later-on that the CapCon jumps in and starts helping out via new techs, new designs, and helping build factories.
>>
>>46781346
That's sort of my point, though. I read the rules, said "Huh, this is neat at lance level, amazing at company level, and god-tier past that"

I had never played with them at that point. Hell, I had barely played BattleTech. So it bugs me that I can under those circumstance see what the ramifications are, but the people writing the rules can't.

Also, while I wouldn't say SG LRMS are *boken* at company level, they can be veryy, very good if you build for it.

t. Purple Burd
>>
>>46781463
PS: I will fight anyone who tries to take SGs away from FWL, cause it's pretty much the most distinctive thing about them and why I love them so.

Especially in city fights, where the opponent thinks Marik mechs suck.
>>
>>46781323
Hopefully.
>>
So what is the final disposition of the Syrtis Fusiliers now that New Syrtis has been conquered by the Capellans and the March ruler has been executed?
>>
>>46781289
>Shad (they make it)
>Rifleman (everybody's got them)
>Warhammer (imported from the taurians)
>Thunderbolt (everybody has them and the taurians make lots of them next door)
Averages to 62.5 tons
>>
>>46781463
>That's sort of my point, though. I read the rules, said "Huh, this is neat at lance level, amazing at company level, and god-tier past that"

My bad - I misread what you meant.

And do recall, SG-LRMs are a 1997-erc FASA thing. That means the line dev was Bryan Nystul and the writer was Chris Hartford. Nobody currently working for CGL/FanPro has any credits in FM:FWL except for a "special thanks for talking with me" credit for Randall. We're talking about a time when when "playtesting" actually was just "6 guys in Chicago", rather than getting farmed out to Demo Team-led groups in multiple areas the way it is now.

Things have - slightly - improved.
>>
>>46781323

I thought they were still fighting alongside the Lyrans against Clan aggression?
>>
File: concept-cyclops-special.png (802 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
concept-cyclops-special.png
802 KB, 1000x1000
>I am a cyclops.
>>
>>46781549
Probably at an all time low, but there are more Haseks in the line of succession so the house goes on (unless the writers forget them).
>>
>>46781549
Final disposition is it was recaptured by the Suns in 3147, mentioned in the Kruger Combat Car fluff in TRO 3150.

Other than that, we don't really know shit.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-04-20 11.20.00.png (319 KB, 800x702) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-20 11.20.00.png
319 KB, 800x702
>>46781549
If by disposition you mean "Where are they" then here
>>
>Nova Cats
>the Clan in the worst position after Civil War
>the Clan with the most new units after Civil War

Why? They replaced everything they had, that's it? Reading TROs 3075 to 3150 all I can notice is how many new units they made

Ocelot, Arbalest, Wendigo, Avalanche, Bakeneko, Cave Lion, Sphinx and many vehicles and battle armors I can't remember
>>
>>46781611
stop making so many excuses for them, NEA. They fucked up. If you run a big tournament, and haven't read the rules for the stuff you allow AT A BARE MINIMUM - and you should have fucking playtested a canon event - then you deserve to have people shit on you.
>>
>>46781734
That's just depressing. I mean really. Aside from the head, there's nothing that makes it feel like a Cyclops.
>>
>>46781734
>Malocchio

Damnit, I was going to use that for a TRO custom

>>46781751
Pretty much. They were all fucked up and in one of the hotter zones of the IS for a while there, so they had to build more new stuff.

Not that it helped them.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 318x470) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 318x470
>>46781734
Sheppard Commander personal mech
>>
File: concept-cyclops-std.png (830 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
concept-cyclops-std.png
830 KB, 1000x1000
>>46781783
>assmad about flyingdebris stuff when clearly shittier art exists.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 407x496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 407x496
>>46781783
Aside from the head Cyclops is very generic
>>
>>46781734
>>46781843
It looks like somebody stapled a geth head to an Archer and put an autocannon where the missiles go
>>
>>46781782

I'm sorry you are unaware of the difference between a reason and an excuse.

An excuse: why X happened and it's not your fault.
A reason: why X happened.

I'm providing reasons. The *only* thing I have absolved them of is designing SG-LRMs in the first place. Which was a FASA thing, and if you're one of the people who blames FanPro/CGL for the things that FASA and the ACTUALLY different people (no whining that "Randall was totally working at FASA so it's his fault" on this one) did...then I have nothing more to say to you. I'm going back to hockey.
>>
>>46781783
now this is autism
>>
>>46781907
>his opinion is different from mine, therefore he's retarded.
It's like I'm on the MWO forums.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 191x282) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 191x282
>>46781893
Anon, that's LITERALLY what the cyclops is: an Archer with weird head and a gun instead of missiles. Compare both original arts and see how similar (traced, actually) they are
>>
>>46780151
For Jihad era that's a good idea, and I will keep it in mind for the 3067-ish games we're doing later, but for the starter we're going straight 3025-3030.

Are there any higher tech variants for those mechs that ComStar say had in storage?

>>46781086
>>46781211
Regarding non-mech forces, my copy of the introbox also has record sheets for motorized infantry (energy rifle and MG), Infiltrator Mk II BA, and Rommel and Saladin tanks. I hadn't thought about using them but they do kind of stick out for an introbox now that I think about it.
>>
>>46781905
Sorry man, I gotta say you're wrong here. I find it just as incredulous as Muninn and the other anon that they were running a game in 2008 - almost or over a decade after SG LRMs came out - and are running a major con event, and have no idea how the things you're allowing work, and haven't playtested the scenario, and can't extrapolate from the rules for the game you publish...well, you deserve as the other anon said to be shat upon.

This isn't blaming them for making them, I don't blame anyone for that because I think they're fine. It is blaming them for cocking up their own scenario and then resorting to hamfisted fixes.
>>
>>46781734
Looks like a Jaeger tbqh
>>
>>46781843
My big issue is honestly just the derpy hoof feet
>>
>>46782034

IIRC 2008 was the year Catalyst actually started running the canon event. I 100% know that in 2006 (last year I was at GenCon) the person running it was Chunga, and he was doing so of his own accord, with no connection to Fanpro whatsoever. So I can believe that they've have this sort of fuckup very early on.

NEA, if you come back, can you confirm when the commandos actually started running the canon events at cons?
>>
>>46781499
CANONICALLY ALL GONE
>>
File: concept-cyclops-hero.png (812 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
concept-cyclops-hero.png
812 KB, 1000x1000
>>46781836
>>46781843
Shepard Commander Mech variants:

CP-10-Q

CP-10-Z

CP-11-A-DC
>>
>>46782034

Somethings you may have missed out of his first post.

>One of the gimmicks of the game was that we had - due to the previous day's win - the ability to cherry-pick our own reinforcements and force mix to a limited degree.

>The people running the game hadn't seen SG-LRMs used in this sort of manner before

So it sounds like they fucked up in allowing the players to choose their own forces, which let NEA and crew frontload their force for sgLRM spam. I'm not sure there's any way to actually balance for allowing them to choose their own forces in a con setting like that. Nobody's going to have time to calculate 50 units worth of BV and all that shit in 2008 when they were still using pen and paper to run the games.

It also sounds like they fucked up out of simple ignorance. If they hadn't experienced massed sgLRM fire in their meta, how were they supposed to know that it was going to blow up this game?

The takeaway should probably be that if you haven't experienced everything the game has to offer, you shouldn't run scenarios at all. There's no exucse for a GM being surprised at any capabilities of any unit on the table. We should ask CGL to make sure that nobody's allowed to GM the canon tables until they've got at least what? 150 games of GMing experience, and at least half of that with big scale stuff? That would make everything run a lot smoother.
>>
>>46775128
Behold the power of automated price-bots. Even the most idiotically optimistic *human* seller wouldn't price a book *that* high.
>>
>>46782239
>We should ask CGL to make sure that nobody's allowed to GM the canon tables until they've got at least what? 150 games of GMing experience, and at least half of that with big scale stuff? That would make everything run a lot smoother.
Problem is, there's about two dozen men alive who fit those criteria, and most of them are from cincy or Toronto and wouldn't do it for CGL
>>
>>46782357
>wouldn't do it for CGL

Well they would/did, except CGL drove them all away by being dickheads.
>>
>>46782469
Exactly
>>
>>46782357

Try a half-dozen, tops. One guy in Toronto, 1 in Chicago, 2 in Milwaukee, 1 in Denver, and 1 in Cincy. Maybe one in DC.

The guy in Toronto already runs them. One of the guys in Milwaukee ran them for CGL before Toronto but after Bones and Chunga left. Everyone else wants nothing to do with CGL, most of them for really, really good reasons. Essentially, asking for this sort of policy is asking for the impossible. Plus, since pretty much the only time big games are run, it actually IS the canon event. So how is somebody supposed to get the experience without running the canon event?

You may as well say, "stop running the canon event."

/demo team here
//you guys are all right. Not at all as bad as Joel says.
///going back to lurking before CGL tracks me down, fires me, and bans everyone from my zip code from official events
>>
>>46782129
No, they're not. Stop spouting this sourcelss nonsense, dumbass.
>>
Funny, I live in Toronto and I've never run across this Toronto crew.
>>
I'm checking out ISP3 and there's things I've never seen discussed. Wondering if they're one-offs or if anyone knows more. Like the "Monument to Man" in the Gum Nebula, for example.
>>
File: Kamala vs Atlas.jpg (638 KB, 1630x1222) Image search: [Google]
Kamala vs Atlas.jpg
638 KB, 1630x1222
>>
>>46782880
same here. I learned about them from /btg/, but I'd never heard of them in seven years of playing here
>>
>>46782925
A lot of them are worlds without any info, like many of the minor IS worlds. Like nobody knows why Leviathan's Rest is named that. Is there some giant space monster there? Some old Aquilla type jumpship in orbit? Who knows?
>>
>>46782947
stop spamming this shitty shit
>>
OK, for the THIRD time.

Two intermissions at the same time is bullshit. Fix your scheduling, NHL.

>>46782880
See pic. They're in Ryerson.

>>46782619
It's probably too late. They're on their way to your house.

>>46782107
Not quite. 2006 was entirely Bones/Chunga. In 2007, Catalyst Demos shared the duty with Chunga as they started the handover. 2008 was the first year that the Ergen brothers (from Milwaukee) built the entire canon event for themselves. They wrote it through...2010, I think? The Toronto crew was running it by 2012.

So, yeah. There's a learning curve to this sort of thing.

>>46782239
We should ask CGL to make sure that nobody's allowed to GM the canon tables until they've got at least what? 150 games of GMing experience, and at least half of that with big scale stuff

LOL, good luck with that. Shut down the canon event completely. It'll be easier.

>>46782129

Canonically wrong. SG-LRMs were simply off-limits to be used during canon event play during Jihad-era scenarios. Theoretically, if they wanted to run an FWL-centric canon event set in 3060, SG-LRMs would be available for play. Although their access would almost certainly be strictly controlled - we got to select our own ammo for all units, while it's much more likely ammo would be pre-loaded onto units in such a scenario.

The explanation that "the Inner Sphere was out of SG-LRMs" was to apply only as a rationale for why they couldn't be used in canon event play. Although it did bleed into the fluff in future products a little bit; WoB forces used fewer and fewer SG-LRMs as the Jihad went on and stocks ran dry.

>>46782021
>For Jihad era that's a good idea,

I'm sorry: I genuinely thought you were doing a Jihad game from your original post. I apologize.
>>
>>46783165
still no image
>>
File: 1460581335877.jpg (165 KB, 820x721) Image search: [Google]
1460581335877.jpg
165 KB, 820x721
>>46783165
>Theoretically, if they wanted to run an FWL-centric canon event set in 3060, SG-LRMs would be available for play.

That would imply they remember us

Also holy shit get your attachment game together man
>>
File: Toronto Battletech.png (756 KB, 766x932) Image search: [Google]
Toronto Battletech.png
756 KB, 766x932
>>46783176

GODDAMMIT

I can't into internet today and the STL-CHI game is back. Here.
>>
>>46781734
MY DIIIIIIIIICK
>>
>>46781289
2x Wolverine-M, 2x Cataphract
call 'em veterans of the 3030 war
>>
>>
>>46783779

Oh god! Not my side torsos!
>>
File: ef3.gif (2 MB, 267x199) Image search: [Google]
ef3.gif
2 MB, 267x199
>>46783779
>>
>>46783779
>Nova Cats wiped out the Burr fleet
wat

I'm pretty sure that game was non-canon.
>>
>>46783779
>Nova Cats
>ever doing well
[LAUGHING]
>>
>>46784009

The results were *made*non-canon because:

1. The Cats weren't supposed to win from the writer's perspective. This was a trial for a LEVIATHAN II, named RASALHAGUE. Like fuck the Cats were ever going to be allowed to have that, and
2: The writers had already decided other fates lay in store for the Ghost Bear fleet and had written plots expecting the Bears to crush the Cats, with the majority of their fleet intact after the Trial.
>>
>>46784304
>rename the ship Irece
[NOVA CATS LAUGHING]
[TOAST BEARS CRYING]
>>
>>46784359
>>46784304
If you owned a warship, which would you have and what would you name it?
>>
>>46784701

McKenna. "The Golden Parachute."

Because I'd sell it to the highest bidder and retire.
>>
>>46784701

A Quixote which I would either name the Itano or Harrington.

And a big read button labelled "All the Missiles" would, of course, be included on my custom command chair.
>>
>>46784701

A Texas. I'd name it "Irony".

And I'd use it to orbitally bombard Herb.
>>
>>46784818
Speaking of missiles what are our warships experts opinions on subcap missiles? Are they useful at all? They're supposed to be good at dealing with fighters right?
>>
With the discussion of SG ammo, would it be a dick move to field a company of nothing but Anzus with SG-LRMs?

>>46781734
>I see what you did there...and there, there too, also there

Thats a nice cyclops, except the feet look theyre on backwards to me.
>>
>>46784701
WoBS Revelation of Truth - Thera class (formerly the Corinth)

Gonna reveal Blake's Truth to dirty dumb Clanner scum

>>46785103
>would it be a dick move to field a company of nothing but Anzus with SG-LRMs?

No
>>
>>46784851
>Herb
He was the only one who actually got shit done though.
>>
>>46784701
Old Monsoon-class. Name it the Closing Time.
>>
>>46785179

Yes, but he arbitrarily hated Texas and - if he learned you were from Texas at a con - wouldn't talk to you.

The fact that it's a Texas-class which is bombarding him is what generates the irony.
>>
>>46785261
>Yes, but he arbitrarily hated Texas
God Damn, an I thought I hated him as much as I could already
>>
>>46785261
>if he learned you were from Texas at a con - wouldn't talk to you.

Come on. Everyone knows he has this "death to Texas" joke thing, but you can't be serious...
>>
File: herbsmiling.jpg (33 KB, 488x568) Image search: [Google]
herbsmiling.jpg
33 KB, 488x568
>>46785329
>>46785272
>>
>>46785422
Also this is the face of hell
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (134 KB, 792x878) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
134 KB, 792x878
Ok /btg/, what tactics do you use while playing? I attached a photo of a V formation ambush. But I am also looking for little gems like this;

DILLAHUNTY DODGE (from Pg 90 of Draconis Combine Field Manual 1698)
Dillahunty jumped into the middle of the Smoke Jaguar formation, faking a Death-from-Above maneuver and coming to rest with legs apparently frozen. He then shut down power to the Wasp’s weapons, but left targeting and communications on-line. Counting him out of the fight, the Clan ‘mechs continued to pound away at the rest of the Fifth Sun Zhung. Meanwhile, Tai-I Dillahunty fed C3 targeting data to his company commander and other lance leaders. They took down two Clan ‘mechs with combined fire, briefly throwing the Jaguars into confusion. Before the Clan forces had a chance to realize what was happening and redirect their fire toward him, Dillahunty crash-started his mech and jumped away.

So unleash your inner Clausewitz/Sun-Tzu! What tactics do you use in BattleTech?
>>
>>46785422
>yablewit.hpg
>>
soup /btg/,

My merc unit needs a dropship. I have 7 mechs and pretty much nothing else. Basically I need something bigger than a Leopard but smaller than a Union (and not listed at 220m cbills would help too). Any thoughts?
>>
>>46785495
I like the old Lyran classic
"Stand still and shoot"
>>
>>46785495
The fact that you can't even do that maneuver within the game rules, since you can't selective shutdown like that, makes it a silly example. But as far as fluffy shit is concerned though, it's hilarious, and very much how you would fuck with the Clans.
>>
>>46785503
The answer is always a rusty DroST.
>>
>>46785495
I like to use faster, but still tough mechs to screen slow, well-armed tanks, since people like to shoot the mechs first, so that I can usually get things like rommels or demolishers up close before they really notice what's about to happen
>>
LIAO TRIPWIRE (from Pg 7 of Fourth Succession War Scenarios 1654)
This is a reinforced steel cable anchored across a city street, then drawn taut by a high-speed winch. A player whose ‘mech stumbles into this must make a Piloting Skill Roll with a modifier of +2 if walking, or a modifier of +4 if running. If the roll is unsuccessful, the ‘mech falls, taking normal falling damage. Once the Tripwire has been used, it’s location is known and cannot be used any longer
Note: If infantry is in buildings nearby they can swarm downed ‘mech
>>
>>46785503
A Buccaneer or Mule is perfect for this sort of thing, maybe a Daneis or DRoST if you're on a budget
>>
>>46785620
what kind of cbill totals am I looking at for those?
>>
>>46785547
Doesn't even work properly fluff-wise as your HUD lights up when pinged by enemy targeting. Unless the clanners all overlooked that, he would have been toast.
>>
>>46785603

HA! I'd use that in a heart beat. Even sounds like it could still work somewhat with the current rules.
>>
>>46785503 A Confederate can haul 6 mechs
>>
>>46782178
as a norseman I approve, is this in mechwarrior?
>>
>>46785004

Fighters are about all they're good for.

They have shorter ranges than normal missiles- much shorter, for the bigger missiles- weigh more for the launcher themselves and I think sometimes ammo, and don't hit much harder than normal Capital missiles until you get to the two heaviest (and shortest-ranged) missile types.

Also they can't have nuclear warheads.

I legitimately have no idea why they even bothered. Even RE Lasers, pre-buff, had more of a point to them.

Maybe if you house-ruled that they could be hung from bomb slots and got a to-hit bonus, but for RAW? They can fuck right off, just use AR-10s, Barracudas, White Sharks, or Killer Whales.
>>
>>46785503
Get hauled as cargo. Not too many nameless lower units have their own transport.
>>
>>46785657
Too fucking many. The cheapest way to get a dropper is to steal it.
>>
>>46781843
I will take a lance of minis of this, please.
>>
>>46785657
Buccaneer is around 100 million, 69 million for the Danais. Mule is about 160.
Under old but never actually replaced rules, you can buy a dropship in non-flyable but repairable condition at 20% of base, and it'll cost 1-3 million to get it flying again
>>
>>46785672
Unless it specifies WHICH enemy is targeting you, that's not really much help when you're actively fighting multiple enemy mechs.
>>
>>46785764

So then would you rate their use on something like the Vengeance DC as acceptable or no?
>>
>>46785503
Fun fact, you can buy all the parts needed to assemble a DropShip on your own for approximately 4% (for spheroid DS)- 3% (for Aerodyne) of the listed price.
If you're trying to save money, do that. You can get pretty much whatever you want DS-wise for less than the sale price of a couple of mediums or a single XL medium
>>
>>46785921
...what.

I have HM Aero so I'm not opposed to desiging my own dropship but I have absolutely no idea what the fuck I'm doing with that
>>
>>46785503

Also when converting a DS for Mechs. A mech bay weighs 150 tons, Aerospace and Hvy Armor bays weighs 100 tons. Light armor bays are 50 tons. Check the transport what it is rated for and you can modify it. You may have to take some tonnage from your general cargo.
>>
>>46785921
Good luck actually building it from parts, though.
>>
>>46785872

It'd be better with SCLs or SCCs.
>>
>>46785945
You see, for some obscene reason, Late FASA/early fanpro decided that clearly, the best way to do DropShip pricing was to make the components dirt cheap, and then, at the end of construction, tack on a Final Cost Multiplier of TWENTY-EIGHT TIMES the cost of all components for a spheroid ship, and THIRTY SIX TIMES BASE for aerodyne vessels. Hence, buying all the parts and putting it together yourself is 28 or 36 times cheaper than the finished article.
Welcome to FASA/FanproNomics, buddy
(As a side note, the multipliers USED to be x7 and x9 until they were quadrupled for no apparent reason)
>>
>>46786035
that sounds pretty hilarious and a reasonable excuse to design my own bullshit dropship from scratch
>>
>>46785984
Technically speaking, it's just as difficult as replacing/repairing all the components normally. If you have aero techs, it's one fuck of a time sink, but not beyond a few decent techs
>>
>>46786076
sadly I have (literally) no support personnel, just 7 mechs and their pilots that magically get repaired between missions

hell, half the pilots/mechs aren't even mine, just random enemy pilots who chose wisely on the "surrender or get scraped off the Marauder's foot" table
>>
>>46786076
Not him but you need a certain class of proper facility to build something like that from parts, just for the lift and service equipment involved. It's not like making a Quickcell tank kit.

Same goes for modifying it. You'd need a class C or D facility IIRC plus your techs making decent rolls.

I had enough trouble just doing some C-class mods to a mech recently with only regular mech bay support. An elite tech with quad time modifiers and I was still having to hit 9's.
>>
>>46786178
Normally, that would be true, but those kinds of modifiers don't apply to DS, JS, or, hilariously, WarShips. So repairing a SovSoy in your garage isn't actually harder than fixing it up in a real shipyard
>>
>>46786178
>>46786234
I suspect this is because it's assumed that techs are fixing spacecraft from either inside the craft or spacewalking outside, rather than the mech assumption of specific facilities for repairs and modifications
>>
>>46786234
That seems like some kind of bizarre rule oversight. Fluff wise we know those kind of conditions are needed for construction and stuff.
>>
>>46786330
>That seems like some kind of bizarre rule oversight
Well hell, this whole damn business I'd a bizzare rules oversight half-assed construction rules fuckshow. Now, personally, I just put a 4x multiplier on all DS-specific parts and a 2500 C-bill/ton labor charge for DS pricing and don't use no final cost multiplier shit, but that's just me.
Otherwise, I talk up the silly solutions to highlight the absurdities of the canon rules
>>
>>46786377
And instead of 2500, which I seem to have mistyped, I mean 1500
>>
What happens if you carry BA on your mech with a shield? Does the shield protect them?
>>
>>46786377
Always smart to bottleneck the fuck out of available ships and parts too. There's a ton of flying rustbuckets around, but you figure they'd be hoarded and overpriced since all the new production is pretty spoken for.

>2556 Gazelle for sale
>Flew when parked
>300,000 original light years
>Perfect project ship, it's all there!
>$200,000,000 Cbills OBO
>No lowballs
>I know what I got!
>>
>>46786593
Yeah, I'm big on making parts hard to get; in the IS, it's rough competition for new factory bits (though this gets much easier 56-67 or so), and in the periphery, bits pulled out of a wreck, maybe dating as far back ad the reunification war, are ceap and common, but if they're worth a damn is another question. Basically, in a 3925 campaign, hulls are easy to find, but parts to get/keep them flying are much harder to find. It eases up in the CI era, but hulls get harder to find, though parts are easier to get.
It's very Firefly/Traveller TNE, really
>>
What is the most chivalrous mech?
>>
>>46786767
Excalibur with its fake sword Gauss rifle.
>>
>>46786767
it doesn't matter what mech
what matters is that it's piloted by a true knight
>>
File: 1426791468110.png (3 MB, 1319x1467) Image search: [Google]
1426791468110.png
3 MB, 1319x1467
>>46786767
The Black Knight
>>
>>46786712
That's what I love about it. And it stays that way in the Deep Periphery, no matter the era, as long as you don't stumble into clan space or some C*/blakist hideyhole.
>>
>>46786767
the HawkWolf
the Albatross is a close second
>>
>>46786767
>>46786774
>>46786787
>>46786823
Well, this has given me an idea that's now going into the TRO.
>>
File: Knights_of_the_Inner_Sphere.jpg (16 KB, 147x190) Image search: [Google]
Knights_of_the_Inner_Sphere.jpg
16 KB, 147x190
>>46786875
ALL CHIVALRY ALL THE TIME
REMOVE DISHONORABLE BLAKIST 24/7
BASTARD COWARD BLAKIST MAN
USES GAS AND NUKES BECAUSE HE'S SCARED TO FIGHT
DOESN'T EVEN DUAL
REMOVE
REMOVE
>>
>>46787013
I still can't believe Fake Tommy was able to rope mechwarriors from every state into his pet project. How did he do it? Seemed like most of them had to even bring their own machines to the party.
>>
>>46787048
His cause was just, his heart was pure.
>>
>>46787048

Anyone who wasn't from the FWL got kicked to Romanov's Crusaders at best. Usually just told to fuck off entirely.
>>
>>46785503
Why NOT a Union?
>>
>>46788212
Not him, but the Mule is objectively better for mercs and ~35% cheaper at full price, so why bother(
>>
>>46788212
>>46788280

The guy likely broke as fuck if he only has two lances and no support crew anyway. He should be kissing employer ass for transport or calculating rental rates from the old DS&JS charts. 35k a jump IIRC for JS collar rental + the DS itself.
>>
>>46788280
>objectively better
Unless you want to be able to rapidly deploy your mechs or launch aerospace fighters
>>
>>46786330
>>46786377
I think some of it is less oversight and more procrastination, a lot of stuff that was originally supposed to be in IntOps, including the full rules for buying shit and such, got pushed off into Combat Ops or whatever.
>>
File: Santin_West.png (355 KB, 553x616) Image search: [Google]
Santin_West.png
355 KB, 553x616
>>46783779
I'm glad somebody capped that. I remember reading that myself. Completely forgot about that "favored beyond reason" "gifted world" bullshit.

At least CNC had style
>>
>>46789431
I can only remember a couple things about them honestly.

>being faggots who destroyed the last LAM factory for no good reason
>the legendary coin toss scene
>the DA-era Spirit Cat defectors acting like a bunch of Operation Revival Green Burd vat-tards instead of like the classic warrior mystics for no good reason

Just seems that during the invasion they flew under the radar. Then they got a little spotlight in Bulldog/Serpent. Then they faded back into the background once they got absorbed into the Second Star League. Then I remember them all dying once and for all for some reason in the new Catalyst DA stuff.

I guess some of the homeworld clans got less attention during their lifespans but the Nova Cats never even seemed to touch major periphery status in terms of relevance. They didn't even get hardly any of the pet clan attention. All that went to the dogs.
>>
>>46789695
Who has it worse in terms of the writers making them seem important and then ignoring them and ultimately just deciding to fuck them over, the Cats or the FWL? I mean the Cats got wiped out in a fucking timeskip and all, it's kinda hard to top that, but the fact that they keep the FWL alive just to continue to ignore them is almost more insulting.

Also why are they my two favorite factions?
>>
>>46789738

The FWL got wiped out in the timeskip from FM: U to Dark Age as well.

I think the FWL is well out in front if you want to play misery poker.
>>
>>46789738
FWL finally got some solid attention in the Jihad. That was great. Actually the Nova Cats did too I guess, to a lesser extent. That picture of Santin made me remember there was one kickass scene with him in 3076 or Terra. I just can't remember what it was.

But I remember way back in like 2002 how unbelievably shocked I was looking at the FWL being all broken up, when they had been at the top of their game right before that. Punch right to the gut.
>>
File: 1405746518602.png (33 KB, 255x216) Image search: [Google]
1405746518602.png
33 KB, 255x216
>>46789800
>>46789738
>yfw you realize the Cats join the FWL
>>
>>46783779
>Remember, the Cats had had no expectation that the Clans would react so badly to their supporting the Star League so no reason to go overboard in developing their IS resources.
Is Jellico making shit up or did he forget that the timetable involved didn't really allow for the Cats to "develop" their resources between the Clan making its decision and Bulldog actually kicking off?

Also I don't get his rant about hating the Cats at all.
>>
>>46789826
Jellico is an insane Bears fan and colossal wanker

That's about all you need to know
>>
File: 1334329164853.jpg (18 KB, 366x380) Image search: [Google]
1334329164853.jpg
18 KB, 366x380
>reading the OF
>notice thread with art from tr:/btg/
>some assclown is telling Munnin he's free to use the Thane artwork in the fan tr
>>
>>46787169
>t. headcanon

I don't recall Thomas telling anyone to "fuck off" since there were only about 40. They just formed the Crusaders.
>>
>>46789849
If you think that's bad, check out the facebook post he made and then go down through the comments
>>
>>46789815
>FWL finally got some solid attention in the Jihad
Even then it was all background attention, not solid attention. Crazy shit would just happen to advance other plots or be retconned to explain why the FWL didn't do X a few years previously. I don't think we need to bring up the hilariously incompetent way they handled the League military and navy, since it basically confirms all the "solid" attention the League got.
>>
>>46789826

He's a massive Bear fan. Yuuuuuge fan of the Bears. Also the designer of the nastiest PWSes and the Lev III, funny how they all wind up being made or deployed by the Bears.

I've met him IRL. He's not a bad bloke in meatspace but honestly between whatever voodoo the OF has and what inevitably happens to anyone with a Beemer he comes across really badly over there. Still, the onus is on the writer of the post to make themselves as clear as possible and what he said was really, really dumb.
>>
>>46789858

Romanov's Crusaders didn't accept everyone either.
>>
>>46789879
I liked most stuff for them from JHS:3072 forward. But yeah, there was some severe retardation in DotJ and 3070, especially 3070.

But that was true for most of the things all falling apart. Remember how Case White went?

"Golly gee, we better not wait on the Precentor Martial or our flagship or anything for this operation. Let's just jump into Terra even after the Goons disappeared there without a trace. I'm sure it will be fine."
>>
>>46789889
No unit does. But of the original foreigners that answered Thomas' call in 3055 none were turned away or told to "fuck off".
>>
>>46789925
I see what you mean. They definitely got some attention, you're right. And Case White, man. What a screwball op.
>>
>>46789928

The foreigners who tried to join the Knights were all turned away according to the KotIS fluff.

Those who believed in the message and didn't go home after being told the Knights were a FWL-only formation formed the Crusaders.
>>
>>46789992
According to the Crusader fluff there were 40 foreigners that answered the call and they formed the unit. That's according to FM: Mercs and FM: Mercs Revised. FM: FWL says the same thing, that foreigners arrived and the C-G was unwilling to incorporate so many into the FWLM and so formed the Crusaders.

Let me know your source.
>>
>>46789925

Actually Case White went more like this-

Gavin Dow: So, remember Case White? Do it. Do it now.
Victor Steiner-Davion: I'd rather not. Anastasius made that back in 3058, it doesn't take into account the current state of the Com Guard, the fleet, or what the Word of Blake is up to.
Gavin Dow: I SAID NOW, I MEAN NOW, DO IT NOW OR I'LL FIRE YOU AND HAVE YOUR INCOMPETANT SIDE-KICK DO IT!
Victor Steiner-Davion: Jesus Christ. Fine.

5 minutes later: Invisible Truth is prevented from making the final jump on time, WoB has SDS assets and WarShips out the ass, Case White is failing.

Victor Steiner-Davion: I told you this would happen.
Gavin Dow: SHUT UP! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! I'M A GENIUS!
>>
>>46790043
Pretty sure the Invisible Truth never arrived at the rendezvous point before the jump. They didn't show up at Terra at all until over a week late.
>>
>>46790069

Well, two Jumps I guess. It took four days to fight off the WoB attempt to seize the ship, repair it, and get to Terra.

Either way TFW was doomed to failure from the outset. Victor gets all the blame because he was nominally in command, but Dow forced him to go without revising the plan and had the fleet make the attack despite missing the flagship, the commander of ComStar's naval forces in Beresick, and the Precentor Martial.

I don't even know how to measure the scale of idiocy involved there (and, honestly, on the part of the writers who came up with that plotline). I think we're well past gigamorons.
>>
>>46790103
No kidding. Such a shit way for the greatest single warship fleet in the sphere to go.

Don't get me wrong, the entry about the carnage when the Truth finally got there was chilling, the blakist salvage operations and all that, but Case White and the fight itself was lame.

Hell, didn't a quarter of the fleet get incapacitated by mutiny and sabotage the second they got there? That's beyond sad.
>>
>>46790711
>That's beyond sad.
Probably inevitable, given how riddled with Blakist sleepers 'secular' ComStar was, but it was a huge let-down to miss out on a major fleet action that way.
>>
>>46789849
>>46789874

Got a link?
>>
>>46790804
I don't know if this will get you there or not, it might take you to the group page but the post should be at the top anyways

http://tin (delete space) yurl.com/zk2w8ev
>>
>>46790981
tl;dr
>what era is it
>Alex Clarke tries to slime his way in
>make it a pdf
>what era is it
>what era is it
>has anyone tried to make a Battledroids TRO
>and then people spend three times as much space talking about TRO: grog shit

Gas everyone who so much as fucking thinks about eras before 3050
>>
>>46790981

>had to create FB account
>can't see it any way because it's a closed group

Fuck this shit, can you just post a screencap or greentext?
>>
File: pointandlaugh.jpg (605 KB, 592x3330) Image search: [Google]
pointandlaugh.jpg
605 KB, 592x3330
>>46791083
>>
>>46791180
>muninn is wearing a vest

Fuck people who wear vests. Probably has a fedora too
>>
>>46791198

Doesn't he live in Melbourne?

Place is like the fucking vest-wearing capital of the world thanks to the AFL, he'd fit right in.

>>46791180

Eh, not really seeing the problem. But then this is in isolation, maybe every discussion over there goes along a similar path. Can't muster much outrage just for that though.
>>
>>46791198
>>46791337
It's the waistcoat of my tuxedo.

Can't say I've seen too many people wearing vests, but it is starting to get cooler here, maybe vests will be on parade soon.
>>
>>46791180
That's some special shit there.

>>46791353
Are you really sure you don't want to scrap all the work that been done and do Battledroids for them? I think they'd give you all the blowjobs you could possible want.

[spoilers]Seriously. If they want a damn Battledroids TRO, the should fucking make one themselves. Shit. [/spoiler]
>>
>>46790103
I could swear that the rush a fleet in on an outdated plan that the enemy knows of despite more rational minds warning against it is pretty much lifted from a historical event.

But damned if I can remember the sodding name of the specific one.
>>
>>46791505
Russian fleet steaming to Tsushima?
>>
>>46791632
Not that one, though that is a brilliant example of a colossal fuck-up that would have fans screaming for decades at the devs for doing, turning their gritty realism setting into tragic farce and all that.
>>
What 'mechs were the Blakists building pre-Jihad? Was thinking of making an OpFor during a periphery run for my mercs.
>>
>>46791787

Nexus, Red Shift, Gurkha, Initiate, Raijin, Buccaneer, Toyama, Legacy, Grand Crusader, Blue Flame, White Flame, Vanquisher. Probably some others but those are the ones that come to mind.

>>46791745

There are two primary reasons the fans would go off thedeep end.

First it looks like the writers randomly had otherwise competent characters suddenly fuck up in a big way, and people look for explanations. Given BT's track record, "because the writers like faction X/hate faction Y" is not only plausible but can come with a reasonable degree of support.

The second is that the herp and derping is rarely confined to a single battle and instead pervades every level of a faction. Like the CapCon and Dracs in the 4th SW, or ComStar and non-Stone attempts to deal with the WoB, or the Clans, or...
>>
>>46791969
Also a bunch of FWL designs on Gibson.
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 1280x1684) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 1280x1684
>>46791353
>Muninn in a suit
>mfw I just found this on /a/
>>
>>46792018
>>46791787
>>46791969
Related question, what AIV platforms did the Regulans have during their independence?
>>
>>46792500
what?
>>
>>46792521
what do you mean what
>>
>>46792548
AIV platforms?
>>
>>46792563
Arrow IV, I imagine.

Or maybe Artemis IV, but generally not much reason for somebody to be looking for those.
>>
>>46792628
Must be Arrow IV then.

They had the Pikeman. Not really sure of anything else.
>>
>>46792500

Arrow IV?

I don't even know. Chaparral is IS General and the Catapult with Arrow is available to the FWL. The Patriot is a Regulan design and is specifically listed for them on the MUL.
>>
>>46791745

Oh....really?

BRB, changing the ROTS naval fluff I sent in to the /btg/TRO. For completely unrelated reasons.
>>
What's a good next-era faction for someone who mained ComStar/WoB from 3025 to the 3080s?
>>
>>46792905
RotS. Seriously. You'll get to field a lot of old Wobbie and C* surplus.
>>
And you get to add Clan tech and other crazy things
>>
>>46793000
Where would I start with RotS? What's the Republic starter kit in terms of sourcebooks, novels and mechs?
>>
Initiate
Bucaneer
Toyama
Grandcrusader
Redshift
White/blue flame
Lightray
>>
>>46793092
Look through the following:

Field Report 3085 and 3145
Era Report 3145
Era Digest Dark Age
Wars of the Republic Era

Those cover a decent chunk of what the Republic is as well as whats happening around them.

In the backs of both Field Reports are Random assignment tables for those eras which contain a strong sampling of what the Republic has in the way of mechs and equipment.
>>
>>46793092

I went full Assault for the one lance of RotS mechs I put together.

Tenth Hastati Sentinels Assault Lance:

Executioner F
Peacekeeper 1B
Grand Titan 13M
Malice XT
>>
File: AI table.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
AI table.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>46780955
>>46780994
>>46781086

Cool read. Really goes to show you the weakness of the Lyran "wall of steel" method against a well-equipped mixed army.

I don't really play Btech much myself, but it was pretty neat to see these big events described from the perspective of one of the major players.
>>
>>46793446
>not 4 Doloire Prime
[CLPL AND GAUSS NOISES]
>>
>>46794510
>Wallowsteel
Those guys really miss out on how fun it is to run Lyran cav and more mobile fire support.
>>
>>46793731
This looks pretty fun. You write it, or just sharing it?
>>
>>46794510
Wallowsteel has an implicit critical mass of goose to gun down a mech a turn, or at least assure a ridiculous PSR on a heavier mech.

Also, packing some high-mobility Lyran mediums (or assaults, if you want to use a Zeus X3) to bog your enemy's force down works wonders with a strong goose backbone as support. If your opponent doesn't loathe the Uziel 8S with every fiber of his being by the time you are done, you did something wrong.
>>
>>46796201
>Uziel 8S
The official waifu of every player who only cares about winning but doesn't play Clan.
>>
File: 1454173060216s.jpg (3 KB, 124x99) Image search: [Google]
1454173060216s.jpg
3 KB, 124x99
>>46795799
>>
>>46796250
Just bring some fucking pulses?

But I suppose if you want to avoid it, then there's always the old standby in the Griffin. Hell, the 1S is STILL fieldable all the way into the DA; it's just that good.
The Spector is pretty hard to put down and scary for a light. The later stealth versions get even more annoying.
Scarabuses and Commandos are just too light and flimsy to really consider for this in my opinion, although the TSM Scab will fuck up a lot of light spotters.
The Blitzkreig is also too flimsy, but there WILL be a turn where EVERY single mech in your opponent's force will be shooting at it (assuming it doesn't die like a dog to some fast light-hunters), so it can relieve some pressure on your Gooseline. Its brother with the TC'd HPPC, 7 jump, and max armor is meaner and lives longer, but is pretty expensive.
The 6/9 LBX Hunchie has a pretty good Blitzkreig impression and has a benefit of being, you know, not completely fucking VALHALLA crazy.
The Nightsky doesn't really have a bad variant, although anything that says "simple modification" on Sarna is probably worse than the base one.
The Uziel 2S is pretty alright too, just as a 6/9/6 baby Warhammer. The 3S is--I suppose--alright for the price, although that feels more like like damning it with faint praise than an actual benefit of the design. Especially considering you can bring an 8S for 200 more BV.

I'm missing a few cav designs, I know.
But this is what I use to go fast and hit hard at around the Jihad era.
>>
Anyone else have hardcore Blakists in their group?

>he finds of Terran veteran groups post-Jihad accept Blakist veterans
>starts to rewrite the war
>flies the Blakist flag but argues its meaning
>"Terra, not terrorism"
>"Heritage, not hate"
>"The war was about Terran rights, not prophecy"

Blakists, man.
>>
>>46796793
They've got access to the Avatar. I kinda like running the ERPPC and LB20-X one myself.
There's also the FWL Wolverine variants.

It's not cav, but there's also the DavionsgonnaJennerharder Osiris.

Plenty of good medium troopers too. Starslayer and Enforcer are some that come to mind immediately.
>>
>>46797071
>Plenty of good medium troopers too. Starslayer and Enforcer are some that come to mind immediately.
There's also the Wolfhound, which is dependable enough to be an honorary medium.
>>
File: 2 Company 2 Lance.jpg (408 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2 Company 2 Lance.jpg
408 KB, 1600x1200
>>46796793
>The Blitzkreig is also too flimsy, but there WILL be a turn where EVERY single mech in your opponent's force will be shooting at it (assuming it doesn't die like a dog to some fast light-hunters), so it can relieve some pressure on your Gooseline.

The more UAC/20 Blitzkreigs you run at one time, the more fun your game will be. This is irrefutable scientific fact. It is theorized that if the Demo Team were to ever populate one side of a canon event table entirely with Blitzkriegs, at least one person would spontaneously combust from having fun so hard.
>>
>>46797172
I've always been a fan of the pocket medium style of light; wolfhounds, panthers, the anorexic mexican griffin, they're all great
>>
>>46798376
>This actually sounds like a blast.
I wanna see the Blitzkrieg Bop so hard now.
>>
>>46798428
I just want to buy a Blitzkrieg, but it's archived and I don't want to pay for IWM to pull it back out.
>>
File: WIP QT180.jpg (416 KB, 864x598) Image search: [Google]
WIP QT180.jpg
416 KB, 864x598
Been working on my Cyclops that I did a little bit of converting, it's getting to be in a lance with a Catapult, and the Assassin+Vindicator that's also been converted but need finishing up. With a load of Po and Zhukov tanks in support.

Actually kinda hard to get definition out of it, but then it's an intro set mech, and the first one of those I've even tried painting at this point. Bases will be sorted later when I can do a whole load at once.
>>
In Blood Legacy when Romano was listing off the reasons that she wouldn't send Hanse jack-squat to help out against the Clans, I notice she said that every day she had to look at a Mech regiment he destroyed right outside of her palace.

Why is it that an entire Mech Regiment was left salvaged nearly two decades after said battle happened and in a Confederation that was nearly starved for war material?

And which Regiment is she referring to? I thought Hanse's boys destroyed more than one on Sian.
>>
>>46799568
>Why is it that an entire Mech Regiment was left salvaged nearly two decades after said battle happened and in a Confederation that was nearly starved for war material?

A) Romano is insane and probably ordered them not to salvage them just so she'd have the reminder handy.
B) Cultural and psychological factors ALWAYS outweigh common sense. The funny thing about studying leaders - especially autocrats - is that the more you study them, the more you realize that their decisions are usually based on knee-jerk reaction, emotion, and biases. Rationally thinking through their positions is *extremely* rare. I highly recommend Massie's "Dreadnought" as an IRL study on this; it's about the personalities which created the Naval Arms Race that was a tremendous factor in starting WW1.
>>
>>46799568
Could be monuments. First thing that comes to my mind would be a statue commemorating the fallen on the site of their battle.
>>
>OF has a survey about which products people want
>leading things are introbox and IlClan/new plot stuff
I HOPE THEY FUCKING LISTEN
>>
>>46799568
I'd figure that the mechs aren't actually THERE, and she's just being hyperbolic, as she was liable to be
>>
>>46799568
Perhaps she's seeing ghosts?
>>
File: Ol' One Eye.jpg (483 KB, 947x834) Image search: [Google]
Ol' One Eye.jpg
483 KB, 947x834
...Daddy?
>>
File: PBW STRONK.png (238 KB, 1552x918) Image search: [Google]
PBW STRONK.png
238 KB, 1552x918
>>46792438
>>
>>46799711

YOU'LL TAKE MORE "TOURING THE STARS" PDFS OF DEAD WORLDS AND YOU'LL LIKE IT

Also, apropos of nothing, fuck NBC streaming. I'm 500+ miles away from Philly, and they blacked out the Flyers-Capitals hockey game for "regional restrictions." Cockbags.

>yes, of course I've got a pirate stream.
>it's the goddamn principle of the thing.
>>
Would a coalition of the Capellans, Canopus, Aunderians and Taurians be sufficient enough a power bloc to rival any of the other Great Houses?
>>
>>46800170
The first three already are.

[XIN SHENG NOISES]
>>
Ok so I got the anniversary box set, read it all, and now me and my play group are having fun painting all the 'Mechs.

What would be a good next purchase? Lance sets? Invest in particular factions? Buy each individual 'mech in a need to have it basis as the campaigns heat up?
>>
>>46800190

I thought the Taurians left the coalition the Capellans had with Canopus?
>>
>>46800232
Hence "The first three".
>>
>>46800199
TRO 3039 has the fluff for most of those designs, and Record Sheets 3039 will have more variants for you to play with. If you want more minis, then yes lance sets are a good choice.
>>
>>46800170
>Aunderians
>>
>>46800170
That depends. Does the taurian idiot ball's effects extend to the other nations involved?
>>
>>46800170
A better alternate history question would be: if the canopians and andurein boys got the taurians in on it in the 30s crisis, how much more fucked would the capellans have been?
>>
>>46799711
Link? I have to vote too
>>
>>46800720
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52353.0
Up to 21% for new plot and box sets, followed by Alpha Strike stuff at 14%
>>
>>46801079

Downvote Alpha Strike, upvote 3025 stuff
>>
What's your favorite variant of the Summoner?
>>
>>46801602

The Night Gyr.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.