[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BattleTech General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 1459509405192.jpg (377 KB, 837x1250) Image search: [Google]
1459509405192.jpg
377 KB, 837x1250
/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

SHUT IT DOWN edition: the OF kills a thread promoting /btg/ro, we riot

Old Thread: >>46699002

===================================
Combat Manuals: Mercenaries (final build)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/62qpwm49e3pjdgn/E-CAT35260_Combat_Manual_Mercenaries.pdf

Touring the Stars Compilation
https://mega.nz/#!ixlWHA5Y!VC7rjxgsAxnDddAkvqFU2LF2U7oU8zE_X6dYUV5Ggqs

Touring the Stars Manassas
https://mega.nz/#!vt8k2DaS!IR0VJXpFyhcWhDOZHF_uNo7yaBHNqKo2h-2nrSaENRc
===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
File: 1434420568705.jpg (46 KB, 501x466) Image search: [Google]
1434420568705.jpg
46 KB, 501x466
>>46740964
GAS CGL ROBOT WAR NOW
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 846x1227) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 846x1227
>>46741018
GAS THE CLANS SPACE WAR NOW

THOMAS MARIK FOR PRIMUS-IN-EXILE
>>
>>46741018
>tfw you will never lead our namefags in a trial of possession for the BT license
>>
File: 1460851711788.jpg (197 KB, 805x908) Image search: [Google]
1460851711788.jpg
197 KB, 805x908
>>46741018
Let's go, boys
It's been a long time since I got to beat up capellans and steal their porches
>>
File: 1456017523641.jpg (162 KB, 800x771) Image search: [Google]
1456017523641.jpg
162 KB, 800x771
>>46741339
>>
>>46741254
>implying any fan is worthy of running one of their favorite IPs
Has CGL taught you nothing? The best game companies are run by casuals who care more about fan experience and balance, know business, and don't mind tapping a niche market.
>>
>>46741897
But that's why Muninn's perfect, he's a lore casual who's still enough of an autist to do the research.
>>
>>46741939
I'm sorry, Muninn is a cool guy, but I am rolling my eyes so hard it hurts. Quit putting anyone in these threads on a pedestal; nobody deserves it. This is the kind of shit that makes /vg/ and Reddit impossible to tolerate.
>>
>>46741939
>who's still enough of an autist to do the research.

...I would argue, but I'm 5 layers deep in research on Russian mythology to see what weapon was most associated with the bogatyrs
>>
>>46741897
What battletech needs are people who like the idea and the setting, but don't have any interest in the factions
>>
>>46741992
That's not really putting him on a pedestal, it was a sarcastic answer to the other anon's sarcastic post

>>46742024
Don't go too far, or you'll become an actual fan and then we'll have to give the project to someone else.
>>
>>46742042

By virtue of studying the setting and idea deeply enough to effectively create product, one will invariably become a fan of at least one faction.

Therefore, you are asking for the impossible. Which is why Battletech will remain terrible forever, and one should harbour no hope for ever improving.
>>
Alrighty lads, let's get off this and onto a different topic. Here's a question for y'all:
If you were to be a mechwarrior, just a regular Joe pilot, which mercenary unit would you want to be a pilot in? Which mech would you pilot?
>>
>>46742202
I would join the WoB.

Maybe an Initiate?
>>
>>46742202
>implying I wouldn't want to fight for my house and lord
>implying as a solider I don't enjoy what I'm issued because other wise I'd be walking.
>>
>>46742202
Big Mac. They have a stellar contract, a planet, economy, and are kinda chill. They are basically a House unit, but are still given unusual autonomy considering their patron. Only downside is XIN SHENG but the Mac are pretty removed from that shit.
>>
>>46741992
You can think someone is cool without bringing out the golden bulls, frankincens, and myrrh. Some people do good and can on occasion be recognized for it.
>>
>>46742651

Define "good". I, for one, don't think that damaging CGL's already tenuous market share and costing them money by releasing an independent TRO is a good thing.
>>
>>46742716
herewego.gif
>>
>>46742716
I think piracy is way worse for BT than most people here and even I can't figure out how your comment is supposed to work. How is a free TRO that's entirely unofficial going to cost CGL money and cut into their market share?
>>
>>46742716
>I, for one, don't think that damaging CGL's already tenuous market share and costing them money by releasing an independent TRO is a good thing.
Go home ben rome
>>
Had a pretty awesome day of BT today.

A friend of mine that doesn't get to play often finally got a chance to meet up with a portion of my normal group. He's had a challenge to anyone willing to face him in a 2400 BV battle (give or take 100 BV) against his three Urbies and a Jagermech (all 4/5s). No silly options like Savannah masters. As close to a lance of opponents as possible. He's offered the challenge for years and has never been beaten. Today the four of us got together to see if the best of us could defeat him. We played single elimination games due to time. Sadly my other two friends didn't take it very seriously in terms of builds but my friend accepted them anyway. I offered him something he'd never faced before...two points of Protomechs. A point of 4/5 Siren 2s and a point of 3/5 Rocs. He eagerly accepted.

In the first game I faced a friend who decided a single Shadow Cat prime with a 4/4 pilot would be good enough for him. It was a game of cat and mouse with him able to jump out of any ring I put around him. When he did get out it was like a pack of raptors nipping at his heels. In the end I lost two Rocs and a Siren. I slowly stripped his armor and removed a laser before finally criting his gauss and knocking out his pilot for the win. My fourth friend brought a tricked out Griffin and a basic Warrior VTOL and got trashed by the Urbies and Jager.

My match against the Urbie/Jager combo was pretty predictable. The four mechs dropped themselves into the first wood patch they could while my protos raced forward and began to circle them like a pack of sharks. We focused down on the Jager before dealing with the Urbies. The enemy rolled wonderfully though and whittled me down rapidly. Thankfully I still had enough in me to outlast his ammo on the urbies (the jager never made it that far) and I finally was announced the winner with a single Roc and Siren left on the field vs one Urbie with nothing but his small laser and basically no armor left.
>>
>>46742837
THIS
IS
BATTLETECH
>>
>>46742716
Man if I had known that some fucknut would try to start shit when I spoke up about disliking sycophantry I wouldn't have said anything. Don't be that guy dude.

>>46742651
"Muninn for line dev!" is getting really old. Sorry man, I'm allowed my opinion. People on this board are way too quick to glorify people who make any kind of effort at all to contribute to the community. Conversely, it's annoying to hear people decry those same individuals. It's sort of silly.
>>
>>46742837
10/10, good read anon. I have to say though, I was rooting for the Urbies and the Jager. I love the damn JagerMech, no matter how goofy it is at the Introtech level.
>>
>>46742917
Maybe people wouldn't be saying it if CGL stepped up their game. It's a serious sign of discontent when some are calling for a guy to take over the company based on some /btg/ posts and a few scraps of TRO work.

If anything Muninn's main strength seems to be getting people to work with him, which is an admittedly valuable skill that CGL needs a lot more of. Can't say I've ever noticed his fluff posts much.
>>
>>46742202
I'd want to be in a unit that's big and financially stable, but doesn't see much action.

I'd want to pilot a fast, well-armored 'Mech with long range weapons.
>>
>>46742917
>Muninn for Line Dev

One guy spammed that for like a weekend, it's not exactly swamping the threads.
>>
>>46743003
I dunno if it's him being affable enough to work with so much as the fact that he has the work ethic to make it worthwhile to even try. Most anons around here would have petered out on it by now, let's face it. You do have a point about discontent though.

>>46743034
If I can recall it knee-jerk, it's been said enough to be irritating. Of course now that I've said that, any further mention of it will just be some sad attempt to troll anyone who thinks like I do, so I apologize in advance for potentially ruining the thread, but rest assured I don't plan on responding to it.
>>
>>46742982
>I love the damn JagerMech, no matter how goofy it is at the Introtech level.
I've found that the bigger the map, the better the jag does; when you're able to park it and plink at extremely long ranges, it actually does alright
>>
>>46742792

I would think the problem from CGL's perspective is that they're staring down the barrel of a bunch of chucklefucks, from 4chan of all places, putting out a free TR that has more interesting units, fewer errors, and better writing than their official product.

Especially when their current strategy is TTS and SW Historicals.
>>
File: 1317682237267.jpg (244 KB, 876x1016) Image search: [Google]
1317682237267.jpg
244 KB, 876x1016
>>46743145
To me, it actually is a better Rifleman because it can just shoot forever and not worry about heat, even if it deals less damage per volley. I have more than once considered making it my preferred ride, or one of them. It helps that almost nobody would complain if your merc or pirate group had a Jager or two, because they are so fragile and niche.

Helps that I like the way it looks too.
>>
>>46743322
Sorry, but now that is the glorification that other anon was complaining about. We can't entirely tell what the writing is going to be like from the small sample given. We have no idea how many errors it'll have (it will have them, but it also won't be as checked as a canon book). We don't know if the units are going to be more interesting.

It looks promising, but I'm hardly thinking CGL is shaking in their boots at some fan project.
>>
>>46743543
>We have no idea how many errors it'll have

I have on occasion considered riddling it with deliberate errors

So far, the temptation hasn't overwhelmed me.
>>
>>46742982

The Urbies put up one hell of a fight and there were plenty of times where I thought they'd beat me. A very satisfying fight on both ends. My buddy was quite pleased that someone had managed to keep mostly to the spirit of it and still beat him.

As for the Jager I closed the range too quickly for him to really capitalize on his loadout. Hell we even had the option of playing on our Mapmaster maps but to keep things even we went with several of the standard map boards out of the starter boxes. I don't think it really would have mattered in the long run even if we had gone with the bigger maps. The protos were too damn fast and easy to hide behind the smallest of terrain.
>>
>>46743568
>So far, the temptation hasn't overwhelmed me.

That is a downright Herb-ian statement. Perhaps you DO have what it takes to be a Line Dev. Well done.
>>
>>46743809
protos OP nerf clans now
>>
>>46743543
>(it will have them, but it also won't be as checked as a canon book)
I spent three hours scouring a dozen sources to see if Solaris' fall was ever detailed. Hell I've been building a cross reference list of equipment, manufacturers and deployment numbers just for this.
>>
>>46743866
random solaris question from an anon who doesn't know DA stuff; did the solaris games restart after the jihad? if so, when did they end?
>>
File: Wastelands Rulebook 2015 (1).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Wastelands Rulebook 2015 (1).pdf
1 B, 486x500
Somebody's trying again:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52321.0

Good luck...
>>
>>46743866
>see if Solaris' fall was ever detailed

There's a bunch of stuff on survivors and guerillas from the stables in the 3070's after the fall, but the only one I remember of the fall itself is the intro story of TRO:Project Phoenix.

Which was oddly ironic since most of the Phoenix machines were Blakist.
>>
File: TRO Thread.png (332 KB, 1588x812) Image search: [Google]
TRO Thread.png
332 KB, 1588x812
>>46745084

I have no idea how I linked that file. It's not even in the same *folder* as my screenshot.
>>
>>46744876
The games started up almost as soon as Word was ejected from the world in December of 3071, though unofficial fights and tallies were going on during the blockade, with groups of fighters fucking each other over for points. Field Manual 3145 intimates differently, stating that Solaris was more of a mercenary boom town until 3100 when cleanup of the world ended. Of course, this contradicts JHS: 3076, which has the Steiner Coliseum boasting its repairs and fights going on as early as 3074. But hey, new stuff trumps old, etcetera. As for their end, well... that's where it's tricky. At some point the Wolf Empire captures Solaris VII between 3135 and 3145, but we don't have a date, and I doubt the Wolves would let the gladiator games go on. So... between 3135 and 3145 is their end date. Luckily, we have a DA mercenary book to fill the gap on this information. Oh wait. We don't.

>>46745109
Not the Jihad stuff, which I have several sources in the Jihad Hot Spots series, but the capture of Solaris VII by the Wolf Empire.
>>
>>46745084
Same guy as before.
>>
>>46745084

Should we bother to help?
>>
>>46745084
>>46745111
Heh, how the hell are they supposed to find that?

>>46745180
Nah, just take your turn when they take this one down too
>>
>>46745084
...did you mean to post something else?
>>46745142
alright, cool. guess I'm going to have to come up with some other reason for the half-assed imitation solaris games on detroit to experience a popularity boost, since only a four year gap isn't really enough
>>
>>46745142
Clans ruin another of the classic fun adventure worlds, just like the original invasion took Oberon from us and the Ravens took Antallos. What good pirate worlds are even left? Tortuga's forces got crushed after their power play for the Outback. Circinus is a piece of glass so it's out.

Astrokazy? Is that it?
>>
File: 1457140254790.jpg (93 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1457140254790.jpg
93 KB, 1024x768
>>46745279
FWL member planet now
>>
>>46745326
>FWL member planet now

Just fucking kill me then. And I like the FWL, a whole lot. I've spent more time there in campaigns than any other state. But what kind of universe is it where you can't even find a famous pirate haven in the near periphery?
>>
>>46745142
Actually, I remember one of the books mentioned that the Wolves are using the Solaris games to scout out possible new recruits.
>>
>>46745358
>But what kind of universe is it where you can't even find a famous pirate haven in the near periphery?

I dunno, ask the guys who keep killing them off.
>>
>>46745358
>But what kind of universe is it where you can't even find a famous pirate haven in the near periphery?
well, there's the rim territories
>>46745373
didn't you get the memo? periphery is slowly being phased out for Inner Sphere Retard Politics Only, Final Destination, same as the homeworld clans
>>
>>46745244
>>alright, cool. guess I'm going to have to come up with some other reason for the half-assed imitation solaris games on detroit to experience a popularity boost, since only a four year gap isn't really enough
Hardly. Think of Solaris VII as basically the Las Vegas of "Gameworlds" It's the biggest and glitziest, but not the only one. Especially since I sure as hell wouldn't send my stable to Solaris with the Woofs there, or Galatea with the Falcons bearing down on it.

>>46745279
None really. The Rack and Pain are now part of a state too. Though the Pirate Worlds past the Clans are even more piratical than before since the Clans don't go to the Homeworlds now.

>>46745366
I vaguely remember that, but can't find a source. The DA novels have the games running until *at least* 3136 though.
>>
>>46740184
>fans putting out an actual TRO on volunteer basis and donations makes them and their half-assed TTS bullshit look too bad, so they delete it
More likely what NEA said in >>46739357
>The only POSSIBLE explanation I could see is if whomever made the post was asking for money.

The OF Mods are there to enforce the OF rules, and rule 10 says 'no buying stuff, selling stuff, asking for money for stuff, or linking to active auctions, Kickstarters, or please-donate-to-me pages'. If someone puts up another thread about /btg/ro without the OP blatantly putting their hand out for cash, maybe that thread will actually survive.
>>
>Though the Pirate Worlds past the Clans are even more piratical than before since the Clans don't go to the Homeworlds now.

I was always iffy on this. On one hand, clanners seem to hate pirates with a passion and actively try to wipe them out every way they can on worlds they own. On the other, you get examples of them allowing pirates to exist to blood their sibkos.
>>
>>46745493
IIRC it was from one of the TRO notables.
>>
>>46745505
None of us have even seen what was posted, and it seems likely some random dude would have posted "GIVE THEM ALL THE MONEY"

Seems much more likely there was just a link to the blog (which does, admittedly, ask for donations)

fuck off CGL shill
>>
>>46745582
seems unlikely, rather
>>
>>46745493
>Especially since I sure as hell wouldn't send my stable to Solaris with the Woofs there, or Galatea with the Falcons bearing down on it.
I was thinking more in the 3080s and 90s; the thing I'm working on goes up to 3099.
I guess it managing to become the #2 world through a series of memorable matches, weird periphery designs not seen in the IS and excellent marketing by the MoC's entertainment industry is gonna be the reason.
>>
>>46745685
Uh yeah, #2 would probably be Galatea, which it has been pretty much since the start.
>>
>>46745582
If that's the rule, that's the rule. Him pointing it out doesn't make him a shill.
>>
>>46745505
>without the OP blatantly putting their hand out for cash

Unless you know something, we have no idea what the OP said.
>>
>>46745752
It was up for a little while, enough to collect some posts. It had a guy talking about the project, he gave a link, and then he preemptively called out anyone who was going to shit on it, for some reason. It was kind of weird. I don't think he said anything about giving money specifically. Then there was, I don't know, a half-dozen or so posts following that last I saw it.
>>
>>46745692
I didn't think they had mech duals there.
huh.
guess it's more like #3
>>
>>46745752
>Unless you know something, we have no idea what the OP said.
Speculation, based on NEA's theory and my personal belief that the OF Mods are simply people doing a thankless job as best they can, not moustache-twirling villains with an axe to grind or ham-fisted fascists actively looking for victims to oppress.
>>
>>46745897
>the OF Mods are simply people doing a thankless job as best they can, not moustache-twirling villains with an axe to grind or ham-fisted fascists actively looking for victims to oppress.

Why not all three
>>
>>46745962
Because if they wanted to be the latter two, they'd have joined (respectively) Tumblr or the Elect Trump campaign?
>>
>>46744876
>>46745142
>>46745493
>>46745685
>>46745692
>>46745814
this reminds me...
anons, post your solaris VII custom designs
>>
>>46746684
You want Solaris rules customs, MG spam and all, or "modern" Solaris designs?
>>
>>46746717
>You want Solaris rules customs, MG spam and all, or "modern" Solaris designs?
Both
>>
File: I need heat mon.png (482 KB, 787x682) Image search: [Google]
I need heat mon.png
482 KB, 787x682
>>46746756
Fair enough. Reminder for why MG spam?
>pic related.
Solaris Dueling Rules were different. Turns were 2.5 seconds long, and hexes are 7.5 meters across. Dl means delay. The number determines how often you can fire the weapon.
>>
>>46746684
here's a Solaris custom variant based on a homebrew design from a long ago campaign. It was actually piloted by the son of the guy who founded Bander Battlemechs, who was something of a recurring NPC in those campaigns.
it's not optimized for the solaris dualing rules, but it did OK under them, and it's pretty mean for field usage
>>46746788
I actually ended up houseruling MGs to have a delay of 1 OR cut their range in half, your choice, just to make them not just objectively the best weapon
>>
File: Bandersnatch II BDR-10S.png (47 KB, 560x980) Image search: [Google]
Bandersnatch II BDR-10S.png
47 KB, 560x980
>>46746937
fuck
>>
File: Carribean Jim Mechs.png (84 KB, 1320x987) Image search: [Google]
Carribean Jim Mechs.png
84 KB, 1320x987
>>46746788
After a string of victories in his modded Wolverine, "Carribean Jim" (despite being named that, he was neither from the Carribean or named Jim, and was in fact Sven from Luthien), managed to convince his stable to commission the Vickers.
>>
>>46746937
>I actually ended up houseruling MGs to have a delay of 1 OR cut their range in half, your choice, just to make them not just objectively the best weapon
Yeah it *is* a weird design choice. Though the delay rules turn the Mauler into a *terrifying* monster on some maps though. We had to remove Precision Ammo from Solaris after one guy just. Kept. Plinking. 16 pilot kills in two weeks.
>>
>>46746991
>Though the delay rules turn the Mauler into a *terrifying* monster on some maps though
I can imagine. one of my players did remarkably well with a JaegerMech, of all things. reduced the speed to 3/5 for additional armor, and just kept firing non-stop, cause no delays and who cares about heat with AC.2s and 5s? he actually got four arena kills before that campaign moved off solaris
>>
File: Mauler 'Maulin Maria'.png (47 KB, 648x1020) Image search: [Google]
Mauler 'Maulin Maria'.png
47 KB, 648x1020
>>46747042
Here's the Mauler. Just in case someone got close? SRMs!
>>
>>46745493
>>46745366
This. One of the TROs mentioned Wolf Empire contestants in the Solaris fights during the occupation period.
>>
>>46747042
Solaris rules make ACs an actual meaningful choice rather than second fiddle to PPCs, yeah.
>>
>>46746991
Guess that's why they named it the Mauler
>>
>>46747125
and I'm happy that they make ACs smaller than the LBX/10 viable, it's mostly that the guy was piloting such a notoriously mediocre mech and doing really well
>>
>>46746991
>>46747042
>>46747125
Is Solaris the true way to play BT?

I hate how shit ACs are in regular BT
>>
>>46747235
If you want to recreate the Solaris effect in regular BT, just let AC/2s and 5s shoot twice (ultras would get two or four)
>>
>>46747289
Hm, I wonder how balanced that would actually be.

...what do RACs get
>>
>>46747289
>just let AC/2s and 5s shoot twice

I always use the optional rapid fire rules for MG's and vanilla AC's because of this. First it makes MG's pretty damn decent especially on some oversinked designs or when you absolutely gotta kill every PBI in the room. I could live without permajamming AC's on a 4, but it's a decent amount of risk for the gain.
>>
I personally prefer the modified heat costs for jumping in the Solaris rules. It's a minimum of 12 heat per jump, though the 4x cost per hex can be pricey if you're say... jumping more than 3 hexes. Turns a jump from a "lel, let me get into that asshole's back" to "OH GOD I'M GONNA DIE IF I DON'T JUMP."
>>
>>46747347
>...what do RACs get
Intensified BRRT?
>>
>>46747347
>...what do RACs get

Dump a full ton of ammo per turn, +1 heat per shot after the first.
>>
Heard back from a mod, apparently the original poster was getting hostile about people reviewing 3063 (wut) and they also shut it down because the blog asks for donations. Writing to one of the admins to see if I can post about it myself in a civil way.
>>
>>46745685
>weird periphery designs not seen in the IS and excellent marketing by the MoC's entertainment industry is gonna be the reason.
You don't need to kudgel something together on Detroit for that, the MoC already does all that on Hardcore.
>>
>>46740964
My roomie and I are thinking about getting into BT. We're probably gonna get the Intro Box first to get a hang of it, and we have started to read up on a lot of things.

I'm just wondering, how do you assemble a good lance? What should we keep in mind?
>>
>>46748740
>What should we keep in mind?
Probably the most generic thing would be weapon ranges.

You want a lance that has good capability at any distance, this doesn't mean you need all generalist mechs, though that is one way to do it, but it means you want mechs that can complement each other with what range they can fight effectively at.
>>
>>46748853
That's good advice, thanks!
>>
>>46747485

Wait, the source link was asking for donations so they called THAT a rules violation? Not actually asking for money on the OF, but just sending to a link that asks for money? Thats a pretty tortured interpretation of their rules they're using.
>>
>>46750527
Not really
>>
>>46750577

Policy says posts on the OF can't ask for money. NOT that you can't link anyplace that asks for money (which is pretty much everything).
>>
Looks like someones named us. No link thankfully.
>>
>>46750605
what?
>>
>>46750605
Someone point them to his sig. If they make him change that, THEN we riot
>>
>>46750639

Post it into the "new and upcoming releases" thread.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52280.0

Muninn, it'd be funnier if you actually gave a firm "street date", and managed to get it out on that date. Just to rub it in their faces a little more.
>>
>>46750620

Not us on /btg/, just the blog name.
>>
>>46750674
>Post it into the "new and upcoming releases" thread.

That would be fucking BEAUTIFUL if it stayed up for more than 5 minutes.
>>
>>46750728
Screen cap it so we have more proof of their bullshit when they delta someone even mentioning its existence
>>
>>46750605
Stop pretending that you're better than the rest of the OF. You already came here and ruined this place for the rest of us. You think you're somehow any better, chances are you're actually fucking worse.
>>
>tfw someone thinks the Lyran fan tro is good

Man, if they like that horribly formatted, error-riddled cheesefest...
>>
>>46750815

Pretty sure that guy worked on it, so it's like asking Coleman if he's happy with the direction of the Capellans.
>>
>>46750828
Call him out on it lol
>>
>>46750767

Wait what? I just checked the link someone posted up thread and saw that someone had mentioned the blog by name. Did I joggled the log up your ass by doing that?
>>
>>46745326
are those two birds about two secede and declare independence from the League? they look like Oriente scum
>>
>>46751675
Secession is so 31st century, grandpa.
>>
File: mechwarriors.jpg (98 KB, 655x817) Image search: [Google]
mechwarriors.jpg
98 KB, 655x817
>>46751723
you damn kids and your clantech, back in my day all you needed was a Mackie, a neurohelmet, and a piss jar
>>
>>46752233
>piss jar
Coolant flush indeed.
>>
>>46750815
It's the OF. People respond positively to the fuckin TTS books there. They have no standards
>>
How the fuck are infantry supposed to combat even the lightest vehicles?

Lrm infantry seem sound but do piss all damage.
>>
>>46755015
Put them in high-CF buildings, hide SRM troops for ambushes, give them TAG and some LRM Carrier backup.

Basically the things that infantry do today.
>>
>>46755015

Have you SEEN some of the high firepower infantry people can make? I've shredded mechs with properly made (and not even cheezy) and handled infantry.

Alot of the basic infantry aren't amazing but giving them the sorts of tools they'd actually have and they are capable of amazing things.
>>
>>46750815
That thing is half cheese (all those assaults, Uziel -8S knockoff), half bad design decisions (jumping Assault tanks? Really?)
>>
>>46755015
There are a bunch that can deliver between 10-20 points of damage. It's just that their reach is shit.
>>
>>46755015
by loading them the fuck down with field guns and support weapons
>>
File: 1414717591177.gif (33 KB, 434x492) Image search: [Google]
1414717591177.gif
33 KB, 434x492
>>46755015
Infantry deal damage in 2 point clusters. Any vehicle will shudder at the thought of that...even those with armored motive systems.
>>
File: Cuchulainn.jpg (384 KB, 870x915) Image search: [Google]
Cuchulainn.jpg
384 KB, 870x915
>>46755015

People have already talked up normal footsloggin' infantry, and they are good when properly used.
As an alternative, you could also field BA if you want to. Some of the designs you can field can positively clown on even the heaviest mech.

>>46755517
>It's just that their reach is shit.
Clan ER support lasers are your friend. As are field guns.
>>
>>46755517
>It's just that their reach is shit.

...artillery field guns. If 20 mapsheets is "shit reach", then I don't know what to tell you, anon. Go git gud somewhere else.
>>
>>46755928
>>46755975

Actually, if people want to get sufficiently hair-splittingly technical, WarShips are crewed by infantry. Therefore, for certain definitions of "infantry weapons systems", Ortillery is technically an infantry system.

So next time you need to bring Infantry to a game, bring a Texas, and tell your opponent that the infantry's IN SPAAAACE.

>And dropping NAC/40 rounds on the map.
>>
>>46755928
>>46755975
>Clan ER support lasers are your friend. As are field guns.

Well yeah, but everything that Anon holds to be true about BT infantry goes out of the window once field guns are introduced.
>>
File: Rules-lawyering fuck.gif (842 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Rules-lawyering fuck.gif
842 KB, 480x360
>>46756027
>>
>>46756055
>Well yeah, but everything that Anon holds to be true about BT infantry goes out of the window once field guns are introduced.
Besides how you kill them.

As a side note, can artillery cannons be field-gun'd?
>>
>>46756135
>As a side note, can artillery cannons be field-gun'd?
yes
>>
File: Ragnar Magnusson Approves.jpg (48 KB, 378x363) Image search: [Google]
Ragnar Magnusson Approves.jpg
48 KB, 378x363
>>46756087

>dat filename
>>
>>46756168
>yes
well, infantry-on-infantry combat just got insanely killier.
>>
>>46755928

They really need to get on the ball over at IWM and put out models for the new BA like the Cuchulainn.
>>
which book has the rules for infantry field guns?
>>
>>46755928
>fellows at games unironically refer to it as the "Cuch", pronouncing it as "cuck"
friggin green and purple burds
>>
>>46756262
It sounds more like "koo," if you want to do it right.
>>
>>46756262

"KOO-cahl-ihn" is close enough for government work. Really, the emphasis is more split between the first two syllables than firmly on the first, and the "c" isn't "really" there...but it's close enough.

I will agree that BattleTech is getting to the point where we're running out of reasonably pronouncable names for units, though. "Měngqín" is rough too.
>>
>>46756262
Outside of memespace, the use of "cuck" as a shortening of "cuckold" isn't widely used.

Mostly because outside of memes, "cuckold" isn't tossed around like the lightest form of insult.
>>
Do Dork Age mechs can be used at other ages?

How do I dork age mech outside dork age?

Pls send help.
>>
Did the assassination of Justin have any serious affect on Hanse?
>>
>>46756739
Anything retrotech or Primitive could theoretically be used in earlier eras, yes. Personally I would love to see them retroactively add Primitive production capabilities to the Periphery states in earlier eras.
>>
>>46756450
I believe the 'q' in Měngqín is pronounced 'ch'.
>>
>>46757054
I'd love to sit down with a linguist some day and find out why Latinization of languages for translation purposes produces such crazy-ass results. Mandarin is especially bad.
>>
>>46756739
If it doesn't use any DA-exclusive tech, you could plausibly use the DA unit's stats as a custom mech from earlier on. If you're running your own campaign, it would be easy to take DA designs, downgrade the DA-only gear and say they're from earlier on in your campaign. For example, you could take a Hound, replace the LPPCs with a regular PPC, remove a ton of armor and call it a 3060-era taurian machine without it being especially out of place, or say take a Shen Yi, which could have just as easily come out in '61 and say that it did.
The high-tech, mixtech, partial wing shit? You're just outta luck there
>>
>>46757344
Ok so this takes care for most of the stuff a friend of mine wishes to use.

Another friend wants to field the Hitotsume Kozo and Shiro going full weeaboo, I kinda dig the designs myself but are those two mechs a problem or they would be fine?

Most players for some reason in the group barely ever use Assault mechs (with the exception of the Steiner dude because... Well you know.)
>>
>>46757398
Looking at the hito, it seems like you could pass it off as a bubba'd shad-K, but it needs a little work; swap the HPPC for a regular ERPPC, add two more JJs, and swap the extra four tons you have because you can't have hardened for more MLs.
The shiro would need a pretty complete redesign on account of the clan LRMs and hardened. Maybe give it a shitton of MRMs and swap the LBX-2 for a -10
(I'm assuming that like everyone who's ever run a game with drac PCs, you've houseruled MRMs to not suck in some way)
>>
>>46757283
It probably stems from most of that Latinization being awkwardly forced in something like the 1800s, when English itself wasn't exactly at its grammatical peak. Most things got translated phonetically on a character by character basis with no consideration to the spoken form of multi-character words.

Later on the Chinese themselves clumsily latinized the language themselves, but their understanding of the Latin alphabet was pretty awkward at the time, so it remains a clusterfuck.
>>
Looking at how pathetic the Magistracy forces were, what made Canopus think they could easily seize Capellan territory alongside the Aunderians?
>>
>>46758358
Well, the capellans had just been PROFOUNDLY rekt by the davions; what was left of their military was third-rate mechs and green recruits, their military industry was periphery-tier and they had no allies whatsoever. If you were a bunch of semiliterate goons who'd bought your commissions with leftover pimping money, it probably seemed like an easy target. Plus, they were apparently gambling on ANDUREIN GET BACK IN THE LEAGUE not happening, which would have meant more consistent support, which would have helped significantly
>>
>>46758358

The magestry forces weren't as pathetic as their build list indicates. They clearly have sources of medium and heavy Mechs that don't suck from the deep periphery caches, as well as access to the Periphery General unit list. Their entire military isn't made up entirely of Vedettes, Stingers, Wasps, and shadow Hawks.

And the CapCon really was that shitty in the 3030s.
>>
>>46758575

>And the CapCon really was that shitty in the 3030s

Nice to see they were eventually able to turn that around then.
>>
>>46758358
IIRC, it's mentioned somewhere that they were expecting to get a regular flow of replacement mechs from the taurians, but that fell through
>>
>>46758602

Not by their own doing, though. They had and have no real right to still exist as a state. Given the situation they were in as described in >>46758559, they were totally done. The fact that they exist at all is entirely a testament to the writers love of the faction, not anything justified in the fluff.

The funny part here is that of course people are fine with the CapCon coming back from their profound rektage, but when a periperhy power like the TC or the MOC tries to uplift their military by 1/10th the scale demonstrated by the CapCon - with massive and large-scale help from an actual Great House and their tech base - people flip their shit.
>>
>>46758662
>mentioning periphery production
Now you've done it
Buckle in for them paragraphs, folks
>>
>>46758358
6th grade military education, brah
>>
>>46758575
>The magestry forces weren't as pathetic as their build list indicates.
Well they were, they lost.
>>
>>46758662

>when a periperhy power like the TC or the MOC tries to uplift their military by 1/10th the scale demonstrated by the CapCon - with massive and large-scale help from an actual Great House and their tech base - people flip their shit.

Whats wrong with that? It's been done in the lore before.

Didn't the Rasalhague Republic have aid from the Great Houses when it came to building their military and organizing it?
>>
>>46751675
>Oriente
>seceding

I'm thinking you're a bit confused...

>>46756027
>WarShips are crewed by infantry
Uh...

This does give me a hilarious vision of guys in blue-and-white shirts and black berets yelling at a jump core. Cyka blyat!
>>
>>46758771
>Whats wrong with that? It's been done in the lore before.
Yes, but a lot of people here have some pretty extreme grudges against the Taurians and to a lesser degree the magistracy, so anything good for the taurians and the haters flip, and anything good for the magistracy and it's all bitching about small italian cars all 24/7
>>
File: Sgt Scruffy.png (110 KB, 255x512) Image search: [Google]
Sgt Scruffy.png
110 KB, 255x512
>>46758989
>tfw so many people hate the Concordat thanks to players like Medron
>tfw the writers hate the Concordat so much they raped it hard in the Jihad
Life goes on, but I believe we'll forever carry the pain on the inside.

Mmhmm.
>>
>>46758989

Not really seeing what Canopus or the Taurians have done to warrant that kind of displeasure by the fan base.
>>
>>46759122
exist

Taurians for daring to think to rival (in any small capacity) a Successor State, and Canopians for going from amazon fetish faction to the Canopian Commonality.
>>
>>46759202

>Taurians for daring to think to rival (in any small capacity) a Successor State

You mean that round of violence with the Federated Suns before-during the Jihad?
>>
>>46759229
In part, yes. That the AFFS didn't automatically eject the tattered TDF commands left in the Pleiades was the source of much discontent.
>>
>>46759274

I thought the Suns had more (if not bigger) problems and didn't really wish to continue a destructive war with a Periphery power when they had a more destructive war against the Blakist to worry about?
>>
>>46759321
Hardcore faction arguments aren't always rooted in reason. There was a bit of a "how dare you" attitude going on.

It didn't help we had people like Medron Pryde talking up the TDF if nukes came into play.
>>
xotl get in here and bring your hot wife
>>
>>46759547
We are both slaving away. I'll stop by when I get home in a hour and a half or so, though. Don't run off.
>>
>>46759402

Well I will admit it seemed like they were throwing around nukes like nickles.

But then again, the Capellans did that when they struck back against the Capellan March after a supposed "Davion WarShip" bombarted Sian.

So I'm not seeing what the issue is when someone else does it.
>>
>>46759122
Well, for the taurians, it's mostly about hate for a certain subset of their fans transferring into a hate for the faction in general. Much of it is even down to a single fan in particular, one medron pryde, who's been at it for near on two decades and is generally the worst sort of obsessive fan who gets into non-stop forum arguments and pisses literally everyone, including most other taurian fans off bad.
For the magistracy, a bit of of it IS kinda down to the nature of the faction; it has this unseemly little twinge of "creator fantasy" to it, which gets a lot of people ragging on it. Another thing is that it's closely intertwined with the Capellan Confederation, and it often receives bleed over hate from them. Also, the magistracy's main author gets into a lot of slapfights and arguments on the official forums, which contributes to it as well.
Finally, there's the plot arcs for both factions; the taurians started out well and stayed on a generally positive arc in the fluff until about 2001, and have had almost literally everything go wrong for them that possibly could for the last fifteen real-life and 90 in-game years, which has their fans a bit mad, so people will often dislike them as "whiners" and for "bitching about muh faction".
For the magistracy, they started out the fluff/metaplot in extremely poor shape, and have had more or less nothing but improvement since. Many people consider this to be " writer favourtism" and "author fiat" and "never experiencing a meaningful loss like other factions" and such, and dislike it for that reason
>>
>>46759610
Well the Taurians actually only started tossing nukes after they lost a number of commands in their little war.

The difference is that the Capellans tossing nukes are doing it and getting away with it is because the main writer for CGL is a hardcore pro-Capellan factionfag.
>>
>>46759614

>"never experiencing a meaningful loss like other factions"

So being slapped around by the Star League and Great Houses like the rest of the Periphery wasn't enough?
>>
>>46759699
What "main writer"?
>>
>>46759614
That's a good point about the MoC. There is a dash of "magical realm" with it.
>>
>>46759729
That's where they started. And they got off much easier than the rest of the Peripherats because the FWL went "muh ares conventions"
>>
>>46759731
Loren "Patio Money" Coleman
>>
>>46759729
Are you joking or did you just not read his entire sentence?
>>
>>46759699
>The difference is that the Capellans tossing nukes are doing it and getting away with it is because the main writer for CGL is a hardcore pro-Capellan factionfag.
Now, I'm a taurianfag but that isn't true. It's that the DA writers decided that they were going to accomplish part of the Dark Aging by having the taurians and davions nuke the piss out of each other, while the capellans instead got their asses nuked to fuck by the blakists and then fought a couple failed wars with the republic that lead to that, not just colemanning
>>
>>46759808
I thought that's who you were referring to, but I don't think he's done anything for BT in many years, has he?
>>
>>46759813
Ok, well your interpretation of the DA fluff isn't what even happened so...

>not just colemanning
So there was Colemanning.
>>
>>46759848
>I don't think he's done anything for BT in many years, has he?

Your cover is blown, Loren
>>
>>46759813
Taurians and Davions didn't nuke the piss out of each other, the Taurians tossed some nukes and it basically never worked.
And the Capellans didn't get nuked to fuck. They were doing the nuking which is what those guys are talking about.
>>
>>46759867
There was colemanning in the reduced level of fucked that the cappies were going into the DA, absolutely. It just wasn't responsible for the taurians getting nuked. That was the fault of whoever was writing the periphery portion of the DA fluff, which wasn't Coleman AFAIK. If I'm wrong about that, I will readily agree with you, though
>>
>>46759813
>Cappies
>nuked to fuck
no, that was the Dracs after the Black Dragons trashed LAW
>>
>>46760003
Oh no man, we're not talking about the Taurians getting nuked. We were talking about the different effectiveness of the use of nukes, since the Capellans seemed to get away with it and the Taurians never did.
>>
What defense do mechs have against elementals up close?

It seems if they are close enough to climb on then you are dead.
>>
>>46760051
just use jump jets, elementals have to let go
>>
>>46760034
Oh, my bad. I thought you were referring to the davions nuking the taurians for nuking them, and the cappies nuking the davions and not getting nuked back. I just got a bit twisted up
>>
>>46760051
Stop, drop and roll.
>>
>>46760051
Stop, drop and roll
>>
>>46759974
Seriously, what is he credited on? I thought he just ran CGL with Randall now but isn't involved in day to day BT (again, like Randall). Last thing I remember him on is the last old novels.
>>
Speaking of the Taurians are they still able to manufacture any battle armor or modern mechs in the latest era?
>>
>>46756261
TacOps.
>>
>>46759978
>Taurians tossed some nukes and it basically never worked.
The ironic thing about the whole mess is that Hansen's Roughriders used nukes to do to the taurians EXACTLY what medron "Big red button is the easy button" pryde said the taurians would do to the davions with nukes
>>
File: stop drop roll.jpg (85 KB, 389x960) Image search: [Google]
stop drop roll.jpg
85 KB, 389x960
>>46760051
Do like pic, or get a buddy or two to hose you down with flamers and try not to die from that.
>>
>>46760126
Yeah. They make a couple models of BA, a trash light, a lousy new heavy and a bunch of surprisingly good heavy cavalry variants of the old unseen
>>
>>46760142
Exactly. The Taurians were seriously hit with the retard stick.

Just speculating here but I think the Roughrider success was a poke at folks like Medron that blathered on about how nukes would solve everything.
>>
>>46760105
Nothing in over 15 years.
>>
Herb is on facebook, and that got me thinking

No matter how good /btg/RO is

Nobody at CGL will ever recognize it or hold it up as an example of what their fanbase is dedicated enough to do

Randall will never say "Looks great" on the facebook page, Herb will never PM Muninn with congratulations, nothing. And it really bothers me that I can know this now, and that they have such a shitty attitude towards fans that they don't bring into the company. And then, even if they did, they would treat them like shit
>>
>>46760208
His last novel was in 2005, and he's writing some for the new novel line
>>
>>46760267
It's what we deserve for having so many purple bird fans.
>>
>>46750815
I like the art, that's enough for me
>>
>>46760267
I knew we were fucked when I started taking a printscreen of everything I post there
>>
>>46760373
No, having burd fans would mean they'd forget we exist. They hate us, which means we're Blakist fans.
>>
File: 1420458369520.jpg (222 KB, 807x1050) Image search: [Google]
1420458369520.jpg
222 KB, 807x1050
>>46760707
I'll drink to that.
>>
File: Magestrix.png (11 KB, 532x516) Image search: [Google]
Magestrix.png
11 KB, 532x516
>>46758989
Who could hate the Magistracy?
>>
>>46760808

Everybody.

If everyone who has ever supported the Magestry's existence were to spontaneously die, not a single person of value would be lost, and the community would be far better off for it. Magical realming has no place in anything table-top related, and if I could make it so, the penalty for supporting it would be a bullet in the forehead and an invoice to the family for the bullet.
>>
File: 1460581335877.jpg (165 KB, 820x721) Image search: [Google]
1460581335877.jpg
165 KB, 820x721
Well God and Davion didn't say anything about posting the art...

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52326.0

Let's see if this gets taken down.

>>46760902
>and an invoice to the family for the bullet.
pic related
>>
>>46760902
What's wrong with a little magical realm? Ok, so women run the Magistracy. So men are second class. So what? It's a universe with giant stompy robots. Get over it, k?
>>
>>46760902

They just seem like every other faction to me.

The fact that they're a Matriarchy doesn't really mean much as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>46760990
Kit please fuck off and die of dickrot
>>
File: 1458431565259.jpg (59 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1458431565259.jpg
59 KB, 500x501
>>46760902
>>
>>46761029

It's because of all the women. Battletech is a wargame. Women have no place in war. therefore having them meaningfully in the game is pure and simple magical realm, and it and the Magestry supporters should be excised like the cancer they are.
>>
>>46761029
This. The Dracs are patriarchal and misogynistic and no one complains.
>>
>>46760987
That bottom design just reminds me of how much I miss the WoB.
>>
>>46761135
You mean the Thane? Ironic, as it's a Bear design
>>
>>46761214
Reminds me of the Celestials, kinda. What's its Bear lore supposed to be?
>>
>>46761214
To be fair, I was looking over the Celestials and cherry picking design features I liked. Except for the four toed feet, I just wanted an FD feature in there.

>>46761260
WRASSLEHOG wants a mech for them, Bears need a Ferro-Lam design, everyone wins. 1 GR, 2 ERLL, 3 ERML, 1 ATM-6, Angel and an AP.
>>
>>46761260
Wait for the preview TRO. Or check out the blog, there's rough fluff in the preview spread featuring the Thane
>>
Since this thread seems to have gotten all of the taurianfags on /btg/ together more or less civilly, I think it's time to get some straight answers:
So, if you had to rewrite the TC's plot between 3050 and 3150 (or at least 3050-85), what would you rewrite it TO?
It should be at least as interesting as the canon plot, no "and then absolutely nothing interesting or bad happened for a century and everything was great" shit
>>
>>46761509
War over the NCR with the MoC and CapCon. TDF wrecks the MAF but enough CCAF regiments are around to hold the TDF back. War ends in a stalemate that bleeds the Concordat and Magistracy white and leaves the CapCon without allies to fall back on.
>>
>>46761509

Taurians pull back and build for a century, because they don't want to stick their nose into the Inner Sphere again after what happened to them during the Jihad. With a full extra 80 years to build up and gather tech, they see their chance during the Fedsuns getting their asses kicked during the Dark Age. Fedsuns aren't able to deal with an extra 50 regiments of troops hitting them from the Periphery, and between the pressure from the TC, Dracs, and Capellans the Fedsuns breaks up and is absorbed in roughly even proportions by those factions (Draconis March to the Dracs, Capellan march and a chunk of the Crucis March to the capellans, and Periphery and most of the Crucis march to the TC).
>>
File: avatar_70_1411149333.png (34 KB, 105x224) Image search: [Google]
34 KB, 105x224
>>46762058
here's your image, looks like you forgot it
>>
>/btg/RO reddit post
>unanimous upvotes until /btg/RO is posted about on OF
>sudden spree of downvotes

WHO COULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS
>>
>>46762719
I did the first one actually. So... yeah.
>>
>>46761509
Shortened to a handful of green text, here it is
>3060: Jeffrey Calderon lives, trinity alliance happens with st.Ives instead
>st.Ives never gets invaded
>the TC doesn't invade the FS, and hires the Fighting Urkhai to garrison the NCR instead of killing them
>come the jihad, the TC doesn't invade the FS, and spends 3067-77 fighting blakist-backed pirates instead
>the blakists take the vendetta and use it to nuke the unholy fuck out of the FS and CC periphery borders rather than pull the canon TC plot
>In 77, the Vendetta gets beat up by FS warships so bad it can't risk another fight with one and starts going after TC factories instead, and is eventually crippled completely and captured by the SASF in the Hyades. (Hey, they deserve to see action at least once ever)
>in '76-78, Rollis, the Pleiades and a bunch of other periphery border worlds in the FS and CC declare indepence. The Tc's Hyades regiments rush over to become the military of the new "Pleiades Protectorate" and rollis asks to rejoin the TC.
>in 78, the CC is all mad about "GIB ANCESTRAL ROLLIS" and launches an invasion of the TC border worlds, which the TDF pushes back and counter-raids
>the whole thing rapidly devolves into a nuclear hit-and-run campaign until the magistracy manages to broker a peace deal in 81 after the Haseks launch Sovereign Justice II (no MATADOR, so the feddies have to do SOMETHING)
>in 79, the NCR declares independece and the TC and MoC have to let it go cause they can't do anything about it, but they retain hong kong-style enclaves around the factories on Detroit
>the CC launches an invasion of detroit in '83 to replace factories lost in the jihad and to the RoTS
>they're thrown back by the combined efforts of the TC, MoC and Froncs, including the still half-dead TCW Redemption
>things settle down after that and the TC spends the next 15 years rebuilding
>last little bit in next post
>>
>>46763191
>they really hate the republic and refuse to go with their disarmament campaigns, but their military is small enough that nobody really cares
>they become a moderately important center for mercs operating in the periphery and the 'new chaos match' that the davion and capellan outbacks have fallen apart into
>into the 3100s they're still getting their shit back together, hiring lots of mercs (which they manage because few other people are) in case the liaos try anything, and unsuccessfully trying to get the outback worlds that used to be taurian to rejoin
Also,
Forgot earlier:
>blakist backed pirates are operating from the Tortuga domains
>in 3079 a task force of taurians, filverters and Hansen's Roughriders (who the blakists nuked) pound the pirate bases flat and nuke the fuck out of the blakist "advisors" with moderate losses before leaving
And that's about the size of it
>>
>>46763191
>nuclear hit-and-run campaign
aww yeah
>>
>>46763191
>Hyades regiments
Fuck, should be
>Pleiades Regiments
>>
Is there any reason a lot of the Inner Sphere Dropship classes are ovoid or spherical?
>>
>>46764430

Those are the two types a DropShip can be.
>>
>>46764430
So that jumpships can look even more phallic when they're attached.

Next question.
>>
>>46764430
The spheroid hull-form offers the most efficient use of internal volume, better all-around fields of fire for mounted weapons, and the ability to land vertically on prepared runways or unprepared ground. Aerodynes have to use prepared runways (or long straight open stretches of land if they're desperate) for takeoff or landing, which makes their traffic-patterns predictable and easier to intercept, and unless you're building an assault DropShip or PWS, the aerodyne hull-form's concentration of firepower from the nose and forward-wing arcs is not only unnecessary, it leaves vulnerable dead-zones in the flank and aft sectors.
>>
>>46764614
So why does anyone use aerodyne at all?
>>
>>46764642
IIRC they spend less tonnage on engines.
>>
>>46764642
with an aerodyne, engine failure in atmosphere doesn't mean instant death
>>
>>46764642

Bonus to piloting checks in the atmosphere, and IIRC they can turn for free in the atmosphere, same as an ASF. There's something different about aerodyne construction that makes them easier/cheaper to build as well, but i'm not an aerotech expert.
>>
>>46764739
More importantly, they're a lot more mobile in atmosphere compared to spheroids.
>>
>>46764642

They pay less mass for Structural Integrity than a Spheroid.

That translates to more tonnage for engines, armour, and weapons.

In general, go with Spheroid for transports and Aerodynes for assault ships.
>>
>>46765021

>Spheroid for transports

Can't some of the spheroids be heavily armed?

In 3145 I recall there being a Lyran design that had quite a bit of weaponry
>>
>>46764739
That is wrong. The final cost modifier for Aerodyne DS is 36 and 28 for Speroid. Aerodyne also pay more tonnage for structural integrity but can mount more armor per SI than Spheroids thus it's balanced out.
>>
>>46765454

Look, rules minutiae aside, the important thing to take away here is that Catalyst is terrible and all the writers are wastes of humanity, right?
>>
>>46765454
>The final cost modifier for Aerodyne DS is 36 and 28 for Speroid
I've always kinda wondered what was behind the baffling decision to quadruple the already too high final cost multipliers arbitrarily for no apparent reason
>>
>>46765545

so Dropships remain ludicrously expensive and out of reach of the average mercenary, obviously.
>>
>>46765255
Part of the thing is that aerodynes top out at 35,000 tons, spheroids can hit up 100,000. But if you have a spheroid and aerodyne of the same weight will mean the aerodyne can carry more.

The other part is it's also a matter of what you do with that weight, assault dropships and pocket warships are far more focused on carrying guns than carrying stuff.
Another part of it is where you want do your shooting, spheroids aren't all that good in atmo at doing anything but moving up or down.
>>
Why did the FRR join the Bears in 3103 after there was so much unrest in the Dominion after the Second Combine-Ghost Bear war?
>>
>>46764727

So it could be more likely to survive if shot down?
>>
>>46766279
Ghost Bear magic, son
Hated literally every ruler but themselves for centuries on end? Don't worry, a decade or so of worse than smoke jags repression, follows by the same policies that failed the dracs for centuries, and they're fanatically devoted to the bears
Why?
You know damn well why
>>
>>46766305
It's more that an aerodyne isn't necessarily shot down on engine failure. As long as it still has velocity, which it can also build from descedning, an aerodyne that suffers engine failure has the potential to perform a landing, though it's risky in those conditions, even a failed roll on such a landing is probably going to hurt a lot less than a crash. A spheroid tends more to just drop like a ten thousand ton rock when it's engines go out.

Getting shot down more often entails failed control rolls or just straight up being destroyed though.
>>
>>46766385
Speaking of which, how the fuck did the Ravens merge with the OA?

Did they just say "Hey, these guys both like space, and we need to get rid of some factions"?
>>
>>46766588
Probably something like that plus Wizkids's time skip and created the Dark Age.
>>
>>46765255

An assaultship will mostly operate in space, but has a harder time landing in atmosphere.

Spheroids DSes give absolutely zero fucks about having a prepared landing field.

>>46766279

They joined them like 30 years before 3103, anon.
>>
>>46767431
The official merger between the last FRR planets and the GBD was 3103
>>
What's a generic clan mech that would be appropriate for second line/solahma/pirate use in 3085?
>>
>>46767545
Anything IIc probably; any older/outmoded designs would also be suitable. Anything not an omni from before 3050 would probably be appropriate.
>>
>>46767545
>Anything IIc probably
Except the Orion IIC at least, the Wolves never lost a trial for that one, though Phelan brought some along with the WiE.

Then the Republic gets them somehow or other.
>>
>>46765565

Spheroids have a better all around defence because of their firing arcs and at the higher end of mass more armor per ton. They are also cheaper (did some math here) so you can buy a bigger one for the same price as an Aerodyne one and get a lot more free heat sinks for the same engine mass. Spheroids have bad firepower directly at the front and are sitting ducks in atmosphere. As PWS in space they are the superior choice. The same for transports (no landing strip, more Armor per ton means means less tonnage for armor and more cargo). Aerodynes are better as assault droppers to excort your transport to the ground or kill enemy spheroids in atmosphere.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.