[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General /bgg/ - Abstract Edition!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: board games.jpg (469 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
board games.jpg
469 KB, 900x900
http://pastebin.com/UU2wicJr

>What are your favorite abstract games?

>What are your favorite 2-player games?

>What are your favorite 5+-player games?

>What games are at the top of your wishlist?

>What's your favorite <30 min game?
>>
Chess
Chess
I don't have enough /tg/ friends for this to apply
Pandemic Legacy
Elevenses
>>
>>46634296
Name me some good, non-combat/military abstract games. Note: this excludes chess.
>>
>>46634667
Santorini is really good.
>>
>>46634296
Chess

Twilight Struggle

Chaos in the Old World
Dominant Species
Struggle of Empires

Successors (REPRINT WHEN GMT FFS)
Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain

Callisto I guess? We don't have many short games that get played too often...
>>
File: battle of the pyramids.jpg (72 KB, 800x528) Image search: [Google]
battle of the pyramids.jpg
72 KB, 800x528
>>46634296

Homeworlds - amaaaaaazing

Battle of the Pyramids - this one nobody has ever heard of. It's an abstract with bluffing mechanics.

Go

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
Binary Homeworlds
Blue Moon
Netrunner
Lord of the Rings LCG
X-wing

Risk Legacy
Ca$h & Guns

Seafall.
Definitely Seafall.

Also, going on a Star Trek binge this summer:

Federation & Empire
Star Trek: Fleet Captains
Star Trek: Ascendancy

Too many others to list.

Kind've ambiguous. A lot of games play in less than 30 minutes if all players are quick and know the game. I've seen Dominion play in 10 minutes.
>>
File: 34.jpg (39 KB, 938x450) Image search: [Google]
34.jpg
39 KB, 938x450
>>46634708

Gonna post this from the other thread.

So I just checked this out and maybe it's just me but I think the game is fundamentally unbalanced. The goal is to get one of your 2 builders on level 3 while at the same time preventing your opponent from doing that.
Doesn't the player who goes first have an insane advantage? Always one step ahead, forcing the other player to just chase after him and foiling his plans. Player 2 gets forced into this role of running after, right?
Now the game attempts to make things even by making player 1 place his piecs at their starting positions of his choice first. Players 2 gets to place his pieces with the pieces of player 1 already on the board, giving him the opportunity to maybe place them in a perhaps slightly annoying way for player 1. That's it. That's fucking nothing! Player 1 still gets to totally dictate the early rounds of the game.
I see the tactical potential of this game and I like it but there need to be predefined starting positions for the players where player 2 starts out in a position that negates the advantage of player 1. Predefined starting positions for at least player 1 would be good. For both even better but I guess that will take some serious math. Pic for examples. Red is player 1 blue is player 2. P1 gets to go first but P2 has his builders closer together.
>>
>>46635635

Why repost this?
Pie rule. End of discussion.
>>
>>46635747
The water of the pie rule feels a little muddier with the inclusion of asymmetric player abilities, but I agree that it's probably still the best solution here.
>>
>>46635747
So would you switch positions of both the players' builders?
>>
>>46635635
Why do you think picking positions after player 1 is weak? I think the option of placing them in a way that makes things more difficult for player 1 is pretty strong.
>>
Anyone have thoughts on Forge War? It looks intriguing and I have room for about 1 more epic length euro on my shelf.
>>
>>46636289
Yeah, player 2 trades first move for more information and a better start position. I think that guy is just looking for something to hate on in Santorini because its the new hotness.
>>
>>46636289
I still think moving first is a far greater advantage.

>>46636489
That is such bullshit man. I think the game is great and I've been playing it a lot recently, I was just wondering if it might be a good idea to have fixed starting positions for certain cases where balance is very important. For example in a tournament setting. Like there could be two ways to play the game, playing it the regular way or playing it the hardcore/tournament way with fixed starting positions, calculated and calibrated for balance. It could be as simple as: At the start there must be at least one space between the builders of the player who goes first. Or actual predefined positions. I was just thinking. Not hating on the game at all.
>>
Gemblo
Ankh Morpork
Shadow Hunters, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Saboteur
Only one, really; Corto. I consider Ballad of The Salt Sea to be one of the greatest stories told in the last century yes, really and I've heard that it gives the "feel" of the original comics very well. Thing is, I only learnt of its existence until every store in my country sold out, so now I'm looking at spending at least £30 on a game that I've been reliably informed isn't so much "great" as "very good", and most of that will be on shipping.
Love Letter. I'd say ONUW, but you NEVER play just one game of that.
>>
File: 1460496934771.jpg (58 KB, 816x612) Image search: [Google]
1460496934771.jpg
58 KB, 816x612
>>46634296
>fave abstract
I like pic related but it's totally not for everyone. Nestorgames has a couple other good ones (I'm eyeing Unity Deluxe, my friend is eyeing Melting Chess). Other than that, Hey! That's My Fish is great and great with all player counts
>fave 2player
Innovation right now. And Twilight Struggle of course
>fave 5+
Depends on exactly how many and who the other players are. Drinking with lots of friends: ONUW (or maybe Bohnanza) Heavy euro group: Keyflower. Casually hanging out with friends: Cosmic Encounter. There's a lot more I could list but they all max out at 5 players
>wishlist topper
Ponzi Scheme
>favorite short game
Hanabi
>>
>>46636705

Needlessly complicated.
Pie rule is fine.

Since you don't seem to actually know what that is:

Say we're playing chess. The basic idea of the pie rule is that the person playing white makes the first move. After they do, P2 has the option of taking control of white, giving control of black to P1. Then play continues as normal with no further opportunities to swap.

There are lots of potential variants on the rule.
>>
I am still missing abstract games in my collection and these are the five I have my eyes on. The problem is I don't want to buy more than 2 and I can't decide which ones I should get.

Help me decide, and please indclude the expansions for your recommendations you would also add, if there are any.
>>
>>46637195

You know, I'm not sure I'd put Quantum in the "abstracts" category. It has lots of abstract elements to it, but the general "feel" of the game, I would say, is not one of an abstract.

As for my recommandation, I think the Duke has the most legs. Santorini does look nice though but it's a kickstarter project so depends how fast you want to get your hands on that abstract.

OniTama looks interesting too.
>>
>>46637108
There's nothing stopping player 2 from putting his builders in a terrible position, like in a corner or to a wall or really far apart like in two diagonally opposing corners and then just taking the other player's spot. No matter what bad move that player will make, it won't be as bad as the position of p2's builders if that's what he wanted.
>>
>>46635635
I'm going to be honest with you: I read quite a large number of reviews and playthroughs and other assorted content about Santorini (and there is quite a bit of it, considering the game itself is older than the internet) and not once did I hear anything about a play order imbalance.

I think you're jumping at shadows, anon. Especially once you add in the variable player powers.
>>
>>46637514

That's why you do a VARIATION on the pie rule, derp-for-brains. There are a million ways of making it work. Use your imagination.
>>
>>46637791
For instance, player 2 places their workers first.
>>
Is Mage Knight worth $80?
What's so great about it?
>>
>>46638195

Everything I've heard says it's a solid single player game but falls apart with more players.
>>
>>46636705
Player two has the advantageous position in this game, it's still not a very big advantage though.
>>
>>46639087
I've played it with 3 and 4 and it is still really damn good, but it takes a very long time. Two hours per player is what you should expect.

I don't know if I'd pay $80 for it, though. I paid $100 for the base game and both expansions. I wonder if it's just temporarily between printings?
>>
>>46639264
Two hours per player? Jesus Christ, no. I've never had a two player game go over 2 hours and most go under an hour and a half. I'd add 45-60 minutes per player on top of that.

t. I've played the game over 30 times with a wide variety of players who have and haven't played the game before.
>>
>>46635209
>abstract with bluffing mechanics
I think I just got an erection.
>>
Am I the only one here who finds it relaxing to lie in bed and listen to Zee, Tom, and Sam talk about their top ten lists for hours on end?

I only do this in the evenings when my friends are busy.

I know it reads like I'm joking. I'm not.
>>
>>46641437

literally who
>>
>>46641496
Ive done it before, no lie.
>>
>>46629626
The Jem'Hadar are troops. I don't think I've ever seen a Dominion ship in DS9, just those of allies, mercs, and vassals.
Also, recent editions do fix the dice issue, they're pretty solid.
>>
>>46642523

The Jem'Hadar are the chief military branch of the Dominion, m8. That's literally all they do as a species. They are the Dominion army & navy.
>>
>>46634296

Dunno, nothing immediately popped into my head.

Jaipur... nothing else exclusively two player.

Eldritch Horror, Race for the Galaxy, Manila.

Not really sure right now. Just picked up Terra Mystica which had been at the top of my list for a while. Maybe Fields of Arle, Tournay, Dominion?

Speaking of Dominion, is it any good? I've heard mixed things about it over the years and have never played it myself. Ever since I (foolishly) got rid of Thunderstone I've been itching for a new deckbuilder to add to my collection.

Race for the Galaxy
>>
>>46642899

Dominion ate the entire boardgaming world for like 18 months and blew up the entire deckbuilding genre.

Once you introduce Dominion to a gaming group that hasn't been previously inoculated, Dominion is all that group will play until nobody wants to play it ever again.

It's good.
>>
>>46634296
String Railway
Welcome to the Dungeon
Blueprints
Codenames

Go
Bananagrams

Condottiere
Gauntlet Of Fools
Sheriff of Nottingham

>What are your favorite party games?
Bunny Bunny Moose Moose
Two Rooms And A Boom
Codenames
Ugg-tect

Two Rooms And A Boom
Catacombs
Ugg-tect

Two Rooms And A Boom
Skulls And Roses
String Railway
Welcome to the Dungeon
Tok Tok Woodman
>>
>>46634667
Concept.

And if paper-thin themes also count as abstract, then my answers to the abstract question in >>46643102

>>46640177
If paper-thin themes are as good as abstract, then try Welcome to the Dungeon. It's more of an asymmetrical information game than a bluffing game, but those two things aren't really separable.
>>
>tfw people playing ascii santorini in the ks comments section
>>
File: 1449062920091.jpg (63 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
1449062920091.jpg
63 KB, 600x776
My cousin has half off at this board game place in the month of April.

HELP. What are absolute must-have board games?

So far he has:
Love Letter, Pandemic, Dead of Winter, and Dominion. He has others but those are the ones I'm certain of.

Also, how is Ascension and the Marvel/DC deck building games?
>>
>>46643005
We already have out heroin game, though. I am interested because I feel I need a deckbuilder where you have tons of options for cards to play with in my collection. I'm a guy that needs every expansion when I get a game; so I'm a bit worried Dominion might be an expensive undertaking.

I guess maybe I'll see if my buddies have played it before. If there's some interest I might bite the bullet.
>>
>>46643324
With 50% off? Expensive shit. Caverna, Mage Knight, Agricola, TI3, Terra Mystica.
>>
File: 3e5.png (47 KB, 139x136) Image search: [Google]
3e5.png
47 KB, 139x136
>>46643340
Not him but I thought Dominion was a close-ended card game (all the cards you ever need come with the game- you don't buy any packs or anything like Magic: The Gathering).

>>46643341
Righteous, duly noted.
>>
>>46643386
You do have all the cards you need.
But not all the cards they made.
You'll want to use the Intrigue expansion once you grow bored fo the base game.
>>
>>46643386
It's not a tgc/ccg if that's what you mean. It still has a lot of expansions where you know exactly what you're getting to add new cards to the game. In theory you could play exclusively with the base game, though.
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (30 KB, 640x489) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
30 KB, 640x489
>>46642523
>>
>>46643405
>>46643415
I appreciate the correction.

>>46643341
If I only could buy 2 or 3, which would you recommend?

Mage Knight and TI3 vastly appeal to me. Terra Mystica, too. That's judging by the cover, though.
>>
File: ingenious game.jpg (201 KB, 1500x1113) Image search: [Google]
ingenious game.jpg
201 KB, 1500x1113
>>46634296
I'm not hugely into abstract games, but the limited number of games I've played of Ingenious . Free for all is bullshit (in a 3 player game, I absolutely demolished the other person who was on my skill level because I got to go after the weak player who left me with openings), so I'd only really recommend it for 2 players or 2v2, with the latter being by far the most fun. The rule we play by is that table talk about the game should be kept to a minimum, so that the players on a team have to intuit from each other what the plan is, and they play as individuals working together rather than as committees making group decisions.

I have to say that Ingenious honestly didn't look very interesting for me, and the rules are very simplistic, but the game play is a lot of fun. You're basically making points by getting as many matching shapes in a row (or two rows) as possible when you play your tile. You score each color individually (with players on a team using the same scoring track and thus adding their points together) and your score at the end of the game is the color you have the least number of points in. It's a Reiner Knizia game, for those of you who are aware of his work.

I have a very good winning record because I'm an absolute bastard in the game. Most other people try to get points for themselves and try to block other people off from the colors they need only as a distant afterthought. I'm pretty much looking for ways to screw the other team from the get-go (though it doesn't really become feasible as a primary strategy until you're a decent bit into the game, because folks don't really have a weak color until then and could recover from an deficit anyway as the board would still be wide open with tons of tiles left to play).
>>
Does anyone like Peter Suber's Nomic?
>>
>>46637195
They are all pretty good aside from Hive which I think is extremely overrated. I'd recommend Santorini and The Duke but you can pick any of the others as number two. Except for Hive.
>>
File: heavy cruiser.jpg (53 KB, 640x438) Image search: [Google]
heavy cruiser.jpg
53 KB, 640x438
>>46643431
That's not a very good picture. Have a better one.
>>
File: l8l.png (59 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
l8l.png
59 KB, 230x230
>>46643677
>>
>>46634296
I don't own any abstract games, but I'm looking at picking up Tash-Kalar, Santorini, Pyramid Arcade and The Duke to round out my board game collection

Pixel Tactics

Kemet, Nightfall

I have way too much shit on my wishlist, so I'll just list the ones on my BGG account that are Wishlist(1)

Argent, Earth Reborn, Exodus, Puzzle Strike, War of Indines, Merchant of Venus, Codex, every Thunderstone Advance set apart from Towers of Ruins and Numenera, Space Empires: 4X, Sword & Sorcery, Millennium Blades, Tash-Kalar, Cave Evil: Warcults, Shadows of Malice, Pyramid Arcade

Sellswords
>>
>>46643005
It could be argued that Dominion was the catalyst that started the current designer board gaming boom.
>>
File: i see you.png (2 MB, 1178x2200) Image search: [Google]
i see you.png
2 MB, 1178x2200
>>46643730
>>
>>46643785

Er, no... not at all. Not even a tiny little bit.
You might be able to make a case for Catan, but you'd be full of shit.
>>
>>46643785
I'm loving it. My cousin suddenly started bringing these board games around at family events and I creamed myself.

I thought it was just a niche thing, but this boom happened out of nowhere. I love it.

Must-have uber-strategy games? Give me like 3. To my understanding, TI3 is a great bet, no?
>>
>>46643462
I can't recommend Mage Knight or TI3 except to very specific groups that you're sure will like them. Terra Mystica is heavy but is a safer bet.
>>
>>46643806

Risk Legacy
Risk Legacy
Risk Legacy

TI3 isn't even in the top 5. The other two are also Risk Legacy
>>
>>46643823
Thanks.

So, if I were to buy 2, and my cousin already has Dominion, they should be Mage Knight and Terra Mystica. Thanks.

Also, how is Ascension? Or, what is the best ccg?
>>
>>46643806

Dominant Species is good.

There are a lot of heavy strategy games out there. It depends on just what you are looking for.
>>
>>46643462
Mage Knight and TI3 are heavily ameritrash/wargamey. TM is heavily Euro. Very, very few groups will like both.
>>
>>46643896
Give me full blown autistic.

I love space shit, medieval shit, and fantasy crap.
Looking into Risk Legacy.
>>
File: Federation & Empire.jpg (40 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Federation & Empire.jpg
40 KB, 500x373
>>46643915
>Give me full blown autistic.

Federation & Empire

Ready for something less autistic yet?
>>
File: 1449520928284-4.jpg (110 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
1449520928284-4.jpg
110 KB, 600x709
>>46643910
I'm a burger who loves war and wargaming.
Those sound great.
>>
>>46643934
Holy shit, you delivered. Which version/edition?
>>
>>46643804
Yeah, except book and game stores didn't start selling hobby board games until after 2009 when Dominion got big. Catan didn't start the modern popularity of anything, it was just one of the earliest popular designer board games. Before Dominion was released hobbyists mainly imported and translated German games and very few websites (even gaming websites!) didn't carry anything beyond Hasbro/MB/themed garbage prior to 2010.

Dominion ABSOLUTELY started off the tremendous (over 100 times) growth of board games in the 201X's. The vast majority of the top 200 games on BGG are either released after Dominion, were unavailable in English prior to Dominion, or are war games that are still outside of the mainstream.

If you went to gaming conventions from 2008-2011 you'd see more Dominion than everything else combined (other than miniatures and collectible games) and a lot of the people there solely played Dominion.

You sorely underestimate the effect and appeal of Dominion on the modern gaming scene and many of the people in this thread wouldn't be here if it weren't for Dominion. The biggest impacts on the board gaming scene in the past decade are Dominion, Kickstarter, and Cards Against Humanity no matter how much some might want it to be other things.
>>
>>46643386
The cards that come with the game are generally better designed than the expansion stuff, at least when taken on average. If you're interested in Dominion, I'd recommend just playing the basic game for a while and look into getting an expansion when and if you start wanting more variety. Then drop one or two cards in with the rest being selected from the core stuff, at least until you can judge how good the cards are. If you randomly select a bunch of expansion cards, you're likely to end up with a clunky, subpar game. Or at least that's been my experience.
>>
>>46639264
I heard Mage Knight was going out of print but I hope that's not true.
>>
>>46643806
TI3 has surprisingly little strategy. The game is mostly about politics and watching your space empire grow and expand.
>>
Chess

Twilight struggle, for now

The only game I have that is for 5+ it's Pax Porfiriana and I haven'tr tried with more than 3 players

Arkham Horror, Conflict of Heroes and Kremlin

I don't know many short games. The only short I've ever played is Carcassonne
>>
>>46643999
It goes in and out. Right now it's in the OOP stage of the cycle.
>>
>>46643871
>Also, how is Ascension?

It's alright. Fun, well produced. Nothing earth-shattering but it's good enough to have had any number of iterations.

>Or, what is the best ccg?

Ermmm. A lot modern card games have steered away from the "collectible" part. MtG is still going strong and does what it does. There are a few others that I haven't really been keeping track of.

Android: Netrunner is the most popular of the non-MtG card games out there.

FFG produces a long list of other expandable card games which are all very good and interesting in their own right. Game of Thrones LCG just booted into a second edition recently, which is quite good. Star Wars LCG is good. Lord of the Rings LCG is a fantastic co-op expandable card game. They recently picked up the license for Legend of 5 Rings and are going to reboot it next year...

I could go on at some length.
>>
>>46644009
That's good to hear. If it ever goes down to $30 - $50 I'll check it out. Not sure if I would ever bother playing single player though.
>>
>>46643871
Ascension is like a slightly more thematic Dominion with a good deal of the strategy removed and replaced by randomness. It isn't worth getting if you already have Dominion as it isn't different enough to justify having both and Dominion is the better game.

Ascension isn't a CCG but the only CCG anyone really plays is Magic and decks cost like $300-$1500 in that (or $12 every time you play if you play limited).
>>
>>46643990

>Yeah, except book and game stores didn't start selling hobby board games until after 2009 when Dominion got big.

This is entirely wrong.
You can go on believing it if you like, newfriend. It's really not worth arguing over.
>>
>>46643910
>Mage Knight
>Ameritrash
>Wargamey

The fuck are you talking about? The game is full of theme and has ameritrashy components but its a full blown euro puzzler if I've ever seen one.
>>
File: romulan fleet board.jpg (254 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
romulan fleet board.jpg
254 KB, 1024x768
>>46643960

2010 edition, I believe

I don't actually own it yet, but I want to!

We were discussing it a bit in the last thread because there's a new Star Trek game coming out this summer which is looking excellent.

Star Trek: Ascendancy.
>>
>>46644017
Mage Knight better than Ascension? Or can't they be compared?

>>46644041
Thanks, I'll stick with Dominion.
I made a mistake- not CCG. The opposite?
Whatever it's called where the game has all the cards and that's it, minus expansions. It isn't a "buy packs" bullshit scam. Dominion the best bet?
>>
File: 1449144105388.jpg (100 KB, 523x720) Image search: [Google]
1449144105388.jpg
100 KB, 523x720
>>46644057
Total noob here, surprised no one's told me to fugg off yet. I appreciate the help, guys, this is seriously going to help launch me into my boardgaming career.

Best Euro puzzlers? Give me the most autistic and a quality less-autistic one.

Or tell me to bugger off, all is well.
>>
>>46644045
Barnes and Noble started carrying board games in late 2011. Cool stuff inc and each other hobbyist game website only started in 2009-2011. I don't know why you're arguing for the sake of arguing.
>>
>>46644076
>Mage Knight better than Ascension? Or can't they be compared?

Can't really be compared. Totally alien to each other.

Ascension is a midweight deckbuilder. Mage Knight is a heavyweight fantasy romp.

>>46644076

Standalone card games.
Dominion is a great bet. There are dozens of other great bets. Maybe hundreds. I wouldn't even know where to begin a list without narrowing things down more.
>>
>>46644076
You're looking for a "Living Card Game" or LCG.
I bet most would suggest Android: Netrunner if you want a solid 2 player experience.

Dominion isn't really a LCG either, it's just a card game with a lot of expansions that you don't need to play the game, just if you want different setups, everyone plays from the same pool.

For the record, I absolutely love Dominion and have over 1000 logged plays if you include isotropic and playdominion.
>>
>>46644106
Most autistic euro is going to be something like a Feld (Trajan is a good one of his) game, or maybe Bruxelles 1893, or even Forge War if you like a little theme to go along (Mage Knight is also a good candidate). For quality less autistic ones there are too many to name but Agricola or Keyflower are both extremely good.
>>
>>46644162

ANR is looking increasingly like a "buy packs bullshit scam" as the years tick by.

Maybe not quite as bad as MtG, but I'm sick to death of the breakneck release schedule.
>>
>>46644202
Most autistic is Die Macher.
>>
>>46644106
>Best Euro puzzlers?

Power Grid

I've never played it but people talk about it in a certain way...
>>
File: 1449911990663.jpg (61 KB, 533x751) Image search: [Google]
1449911990663.jpg
61 KB, 533x751
>>46644162
Don't I mean a closed card game? Or am I misusing the vocabulary? I know Magic is living, I do not want Magic where I have to buy booster packs and lose money.

I thought living meant it was ongoing- it keeps having things added onto it a la card packs and shit.

>>46644143
Standalone, that's it. Standalone deckbuilder. Any heavyweight standalone deckbuilders?

Alright cool, my cousin as I have said already has Dominion so I'm set. I'm stoked for Mage Knight, too. Romp here I come.

How's Legendary: Marvel?
Thanks for clearing up the confusion and helping me out here, vets.
>>
>>46644219
That's more autistic but less euro than the ones I listed. It has too much politics and dice rolling for it to be a pure euro.
>>
>>46643990
I saw Catan and Carcasonne in Target before Dominion came out. Dominion just expanded the list of mega-hits that show up in non-specialty stores by one.

I actually think games like Say Anything and the Cards Against Humanity had a bigger impact on stocking. Mainstream stores have always carried party games, and the post-CAH goldrush meant a lot more designers were spending time designing games that stores might actually stock. And I don't just mean the games blatantly ripping off their trade dress - I don't think Vlaada Chvatil would've made Code Names if he wasn't after that sweet party game cash (but who knows, the man's a mad genius).
>>
>>46644238
ccg = collectible card game like magic, hearthstone etc. you buy a pack of cards and other than knowing you'll get 1 rare you don't know what cards you'll get

lcg = living card game which is kind of a silly term, but it's more similar to a board game where you buy a base set, and then expansions. there are no random packs, so if you and your friend both went out and bought the same expansions you'd have the exact same cards

fantasy flight games is a big proponent of the living card games which are the closed systems you're looking for. one thing to keep in mind though is they sometimes work best if you buy two sets of the base game. that way you and your friend(s) have some more flexibility when building your deck
>>
>>46644238
Magic is a collectible card game. Cards have rarity and you get a random set of cards in each pack. A living card game has sets or expansions that will always contain the same cards, you buy the set and you know exactly what cards you will get.
>>
>>46644238
>Any heavyweight standalone deckbuilders?

A Few Acres of Snow
Mage Knight kinda counts

ummm... I'm sure there are others but deckbuilders by their nature tend not to be super-heavy games
>>
>>46644261
Target started carrying Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne in 2011, I know because I worked there then and got excited that they were beginning to stock designer board games.
>>
>>46644203
Netrunner is still worth it if you want to buy a couple sets and split them with someone you'll play with a ton, like a roommate or girlfriend.

If you want to go into the tournament scene, or even the local hobby store scene, it's already deep into cashmode.
>>
File: 1445652413157.jpg (18 KB, 523x212) Image search: [Google]
1445652413157.jpg
18 KB, 523x212
>>46644279
>>46644281
Some vocab clean up- I misunderstood ccg to be "closed card game" when it's the opposite. My bad.

Then yes, lcg is what I want and Dominion is what I got and that neat anon responded.

Thanks fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>46644261
>>46644306

Hasbro has been sneaking gamer-games into department stores in things like re-themed Risk boxes for ages. IIRC they did a collectible/expandable fantasy version of Stratego once. Stuff like that.
>>
>>46644313
One more correction! Dominion isn't strictly a LCG. It's just a normal ass card game that has a bunch of (high quality) expansions.
>>
File: 1449232572964.png (91 KB, 250x317) Image search: [Google]
1449232572964.png
91 KB, 250x317
>>46644350
Right, my bad! He even said it isn't really one.

Well I still have ANR and A Few Acres of Snow to check out, as well as the various auti games suggested like Federation and Empire, Trajan (huge hardon for Rome), etc. I'm also watching Dice Tower reviews.

Happy gaming.

ACKSHUALLY: How is Legendary: Marvel? It looks neat.
>>
>>46644343
>Risk
>Stratego
>gamer-games

No thanks.
>>
>>46644238
A CCG (collectible card game) is a card game you play with pre-built decks you assemble out of randomized packs of cards. The packs are normally small, so you can impulse buy one to get your fix.

A LCG (living card game) is a card game you play with pre-built decks you assemble out of pre-set packs of cards, with the packs usually being larger, like a full-sized board game expansion.

A deckbuilder is a card game where you build a deck during the game. There may be expansions, but they give your opponent exactly the same materials so they really are just board game expansions and not pay to win in any way. Dominion is a deckbuilder.

A Few Acres Of Snow is a a hybrid wargame and deckbuilder, and I hear that works brilliantly.

Paperback is a hybrid word game and deckbuilder, and I can personally confirm that's brilliant.
>>
>>46644367
>dice tower
I've found that SUSD is better at communicated the "vibe" of a game.
>>
>>46644371
>and I hear that works brilliantly
A Few Acres of Snow has an OP strat for the Brits though, iirc. One that guarantees they win, and which the designer is unwilling and unable to fix.
>>
>>46644367
Not a fan of L:Marvel. It plays like a more random Dominion with a different scoring mechanic. I honestly believe it's just worse than Dominion with a pasted on theme but it can be worth a buy if you really want to play co-op.
>>
>>46644371
Thanks, oy vey.

Other than ANR, are there any high quality LCGs?
>>
>>46644367
be sure to also check out rahdo run throughs. even though he tends to make mistakes here and there and he's super scatter brained, I find his approach to rule explanation to be 10x better than anyone at the dice tower

when I'm interested in a game (and if both channels have videos on it) I'll watch rahdo's video first to get a vibe for how it's played, and then I'll skip past the rule explanation on the dice tower video and see what their opinion is to compare and contrast with rahdo

another bonus with rahdo is he is super enthusiastic when playing games. there have been countless times where I figured he was loving a game during the gameplay video, only for him to say he dislikes the game during his final thoughts/review video
>>
>>46644371
>A Few Acres Of Snow is a a hybrid wargame and deckbuilder, and I hear that works brilliantly.

It has a serious flaw - there's one strategy that always wins if the player on one side uses it.
>>
>>46644401
I feel like the Game of Thrones one is somehow both a watered down and increased complexity (from a core rules perspective) version of magic. The Lord of the Rings one is a lovely cooperative adventure game but has no replay value.

I haven't played any others.
>>
>>46644369

Don't be such a snob.

Stratego is a perfectly fine abstract strategy game in it's own right.

Modern Risk variants are a hell of a lot better than the Risk of our childhood. See also: Risk Legacy. Risk: Star Wars Edition (aka Queen's Gambit), and a cornucopia of other actually-good games that just happen to have the word Risk printed on the box so that casuals and parents won't get scared away.
>>
>>46644452
and oh look, all those variants came out after Dominion.
>>
>>46644439
>The Lord of the Rings one is a lovely cooperative adventure game but has no replay value.

You're so very wrong about the replay value part. The game doesn't even really get interesting until you're familiar with the intricacies of any given adventure. Until you've seen the whole encounter deck you're just flipping up cards until the game kills you.
>>
>>46644298
>>46644425
>A Few Acres of Snow
Anyone who's played this and GMT's Wilderness War? Brother in law's a French/Indian War reenactor, and when I told him there's multiple games that have good reviews out there on the subject matter he got interested in playing more board games with me. I'm a big fan of deckbuilders, but I also know the Halifax Hammer strategy supposedly "breaks" the game, or at least for the crowd that plays online 100s of times a month.

>>46644452
Different anon, I'll agree with you Stratego is fine, but LotR: The Confrontation, and Hera & Zeus/Thunder & Lightning are superior versions. Also SW:Risk is not Risk, it's just a brand awareness naming by Hasbro; still enjoying the hell outta it though, even 15 games in and fully convinced the deploy + attack rule clarification is broken.
>>
File: 1449537159030.jpg (85 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1449537159030.jpg
85 KB, 1024x768
Thoughts on Heroscape?
>>
>>46644507
Sure, but it doesn't take too long before you've figured out the adventure and then it's time to get an expansion.

I'm not saying there's not plenty of game in the box, just that a certain point you'll be "done" with any one adventure.
>>
>>46644516

It's shit.
>>
File: 1453346064269.jpg (80 KB, 417x600) Image search: [Google]
1453346064269.jpg
80 KB, 417x600
>>46644532
Cosmic Encounter?
>>
>>46644532
Pic related?
>>
>>46644546
Extremely dependent on the group.
>>
>>46644546
It's fine if you know what you're getting into. Some games people will win completely based on getting good draws or a really strong power, some games you'll pretty much be sitting out because you didn't get much useful to play. The game isn't really about tactics, strategy, or even really playing the game, it's all about making and breaking alliances, turning on your friends at vital and funny moments, and blowouts from funny alien powers. It's the most beer and pretzels game in the entire world.
>>
>>46644524

Some adventures are like that, but most are not.

Journey Along the Anduin - one of the core adventures - is still one of my absolute favorites and I pull it out all the time.

One of the other core adventures, Escape from Dol Guldur, I have never beaten. I still try whenever I'm feeling masochistic.

I will grant you that Flies & Spiders - the intro adventure - is pretty weak. There are "nightmare decks" to spice up & re-tune most of the adventures that have been made, though - including that one.
>>
>>46644590
I've only played the base set so I'm going completely off of that and what I've heard. That's cool that you've gotten so much out of the core set and that it sounds like the expansions add a lot of replay value as well.
>>
>Host game nights every other week
>Always play filler while waiting for people to show up
>Group always want to continue playing the filler game all night instead of moving on to the heavier game I had planned
>Realize its always the same guy that pushes to keep playing filler
>Don't invite him the next time and play glorious game of Agricola that everyone enjoyed
>Guy figures out and is hurt
>"Why didn't you invite me?"
>Tell him we were playing a game he wouldn't enjoy
>"I love agricola!"
>Ask him when he played it
>"I've played it with you loads of times at your game nights!"
>Tell him (truthfully) that the last game night without him was the first time I had ever gotten to play agricola
>"Nuh uh, we've played it loads!"
>Invite him to next one to play Agricola
>He shows up with fuck-huge box of Cards Against Humanity and a billion expansions that are each unplayed
>Ready to move on to heavier game after an hour or so of CAH
>"I BROUGHT THIS GAME, WE SHOULD PLAY IT BECAUSE I BROUGHT IT SPECIFICALLY TODAY"

Seething.
>>
>>46644683
Stop inviting and when he calls you out on it tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>46644626

For me, at least, part of the fun comes from working with a limited card pool. I didn't just go out and buy everything. I've been picking and choosing just the things that seem most interesting, which has greatly enhanced the challenge and replayability.

There's also huge differences in how adventures play out if you're playing 1-handed, 2-handed, or with 1 or more other players. So there's replay value there as well.

It's probably the least cash-hungry of the LCGs.
>>
>>46644729
He used to be a very chill, nerdy, and somewhat shy guy until he started taking medicine for his "Adult ADD" (in reality he just gets like 3-4 hours of sleep a night) and turned into a loud, angry, bro-ey asshole 50% of the time.
>>
File: 1450686520566.png (11 KB, 268x236) Image search: [Google]
1450686520566.png
11 KB, 268x236
>>46644761
>in reality he just gets 3-4 hours of sleep a night
holy kek this is me. good thing I knew it was behavioral and didn't put myself on meds though.

normalcy, here i come again
>>
>>46644751
>Well let's just go take a look at the expansions on BGG...

AAAAHHHH, holy shit that is a lot of expansions.
>>
>>46644761
That's the worst thing he could have done. ADD meds are basically meth and will only make his sleeping problems worse.
>>
>>46644807
He doesn't think he has sleeping problems, he thinks he's an unfocused genius and the pills will solve all of his problems.
>>
>>46644751
Looking up information about this game makes me really want it, looks like there's a ton to it and the deck building is almost legacy like if you buy the expansions one at a time.
>>
>>46644794
>>46644850

I've got the core, two of the big-box expansions, and a smattering of the little box expansions matched to the appropriate big boxes. I'm pretty happy with my collection, both for deckbuilding and adventuring.

Though the ship & ocean themed Dream-chaser cycle they recently started looks really cool...

Tempted to pick that up.
>>
>>46644814
Sounds insufferable even before pills.
>>
>>46644901
Yeah, but at least he kept it to himself.
>>
>>46644850

I would suggest trying it out on OCTGN to see how you like it.
>>
>>46644401
>Other than ANR, are there any high quality LCGs?

They are all pretty good.
>>
File: Onitama.png (2 MB, 1497x1600) Image search: [Google]
Onitama.png
2 MB, 1497x1600
Are you hyped? If you had to decide between this and Santorini, which one would you pick?
>>
>>46645287
Yes I have embraced the hype. Definitely Santorini, Onitama just looks Duke or Tash Kalar (disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea about Onitama so I could be totally wrong).
>>
>>46645973
I mainly compared them based on the extremely simple ruleset, which in both cases can be explained in a minute, and the similar game length of ~15 minutes. And both use cards to make the game different every time you play it. I think both look fantastic but I'm with you. Santorini has conquered my heart.
>>
>>46634296

Not really a fan of abstracts, but I have "hey, that's my fish" and it's not bad. So that.

Summoner Wars, Legendary Encounters (Alien or Predator, whatevs)

Escape : curse of the temple; Survive : Escape from Atlantis (needs expansion); Betrayal at House on the Hill

I generally buy all the stuff I want. For future games... Well "Last Friday" looks intersting. I love me a good slasher flick. And I like Scotland Yard.
I saw a few interesting games on the GAMA previews, but I can't remember any of it !!!

Legendary Big Trouble in Little China maybe ?

Escape : curse of the temple. With an honorable mention to Ave Caesar.
>>
I'm not very big on abstract so Chess I guess.
Neuroshima: Hex
StarCraft
Just got Chaos in the Old World.

If I got a autismer group I'd get Here I Stand or Virgin Queen (thanks to the guys with the recommendations in the previous thread)
Welcome to the Dungeon
>>
>>46646211
>Summoner Wars

Have you tried Mage Wars, and if so, how did you like it?
>>
>>46646370

I didn't, the "deck building" aspect seems too involved. I don't want to spend time by myself picking cards to have the most effective spellbook. I just like breaking the box open, switch out a couple cards and get playing. Summoner Wars really allows you to do that.
>>
Does Santorini count? It has a cool theme but I'd say it's still an abstract strategy game.

Probably Santorini as well.

Cosmic Encounter, Dead of Winter, Roll for the Galaxy, Flash Point

Dominant Species, Santorini, The Duke

Again Santorini. It's my new hotness. Ask me again in a month.
>>
>>46646409
I forgot to mention Secret Hitler.
>>
File: santorini.jpg (72 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
santorini.jpg
72 KB, 400x399
>I drew Atlas, you?
>*reveals god card*
>gg

The powers are cool and all but some are vastly more powerful than others and some get btfo by others.
>>
>>46646630
In that case just houserule it so Chronos says
>You also win when there are five or more domes above a third level on the board.

That way Atlas can still spam domes below.
>>
>>46646691
Already been fixed, they just haven't updated the chart. Chronos now wins when there are five completed towers on the board.
>>
>>46646714
Oh cool! Where did you read that?
>>
>>46646630
>>46646691
>>46646714
Citation for the Chronos change (and other small tweaks like that) is linked in one of Gordon Hamilton's latest posts on the KS comments section. I'm not going to link it here, though, because linking an open Google document on 4chan is a famously bad idea. They're using it to gather fan feedback on minor rules quibbles like that, though, and it's going pretty great.
>>
What's a game with clear-cut rules, lying like a bastard, a high skill ceiling, and the potential for tournament play?

I want to try and organize some kind of thing in my hometown.
>>
>>46647508
Conning people out of their money.
>>
>>46641437
I find they're fun to listen to when I'm storytiming old comics on /co/. Their Top 10 lists they did at conventions are pretty damn funny, especially when Sam goes into full YOU FUCKED UP NOW mode. They're probably the best part of The Dice Tower proper, as they all rein in each other's more annoying traits.
>>
>>46647508
Netrunner
>>
>>46643324
Netrunner core, the 4 deluxe xpacks and all the datapacks he can grab
>>
File: imperial-settlers.jpg (475 KB, 1200x751) Image search: [Google]
imperial-settlers.jpg
475 KB, 1200x751
So /bgg/: what are some *comfy* games.

My pick: pic related.
>>
>>46644017
Kinda late to the party, but do go on, LCGs are mostly a mystyery to me. I'd blow every FFG exec if they took the V:tES license and removed the random booster pack model.
>>
>>46644106
Caylus a best cubepusher euro, worker placement with practically no random elements to it, Really brainy and strategic. On the downside, flat theme and bland artwork.
>>
>>46644298
Mage Wars is pretty heavy, mixes deck construction with borad tactics. Pretty fiddly and long, so a lot of people hate it. I enjoy it quite a bit, but I don't have any serious opponents nearby, seems I'm the only guy around that knows of its existence or enjoys it.
>>
>>46634296
Sup /bgg/?

I want to buy something that'll fit in my bag and novices won't hate.

Machi Koro,
Pandemic or
Carcassonne?
>>
>>46648400
Carcassonne. What about Bohnanza? I love that game, although it doesn't work well with two. Pandemic is great too because it doesn't matter if youre way better than they are but I've grown tired of it after surprisingly few plays. Machi Koro is garbage.
>>
>>46648282
I know very, very little about this game. Why does it use cards?
>>
>>46647532
I'm really interested in how you'd organize a tournament for this.
>>46647929
Haven't played it. Interested now.
>>
>>46648400
Sushi Go
Love Letter
Skull
>>
>>46648679
>Conning people
They're called fundraisers.
>>
>>46648286

A Game of Thrones 2e and the upcoming Legend of 5 Rings reboot would both be good for you to check out.

Thrones has a really cool multiplayer variant.

L5R almost certainly will too, because that's always been a big deal for that game.

Romance of the Nine Empires is worth a look as well. It's a reprint & re-theme of Legend of the Burning Sands - an L5R spinoff with some really good mechanics. The "pool" thing in your game reminds me a bit of it. It's not an LCG though - just all comes in one box.

Doomtown Reloaded and Android: Netrunner are also worth a look.

Maybe even the 40k LCG? I don't know anything about that one.
>>
>>46648780
I haven't played any other LCGs but I love 40k: Conquest to death. It's heavily focused on pacing and knowing when to pick and choose your battles, and every faction feels great to play. I've found the game to be exceptionally stable, with the designers doing a good job of smoothing out the meta when particular problem cards arise and it's looking to have a lifespan to rival Netrunner.
>>
Help please. My girlfriend is absolutely obsessed with Ticket to Ride. To the point of throwing all other games out the window. To the point of pulling it out on her iphone the minute we sit down at a restaurant. What do I do?
>>
>>46648911
Get her into other train games.
>>
>>46648911
Throw her out the window.
Splendor? But the you'd probably have the same problems. A more advanced rail game? We'd need more information, like why you you think she likes TTR, before a suggestion can be made.
>>
>>46647929
Seconded.

>>46648679
Re-release/update of a late 90's richard garfield game, which he designed with the goal of fixing everything he didn't like about Magic. Asymmetric, heavy on hidden information and predicting opponent behavior. LCG model means no real card rarity problems, which is great, but it's had a pretty aggressive expansion release schedule since it came out in 2012 which makes buying into everything at once a little expensive. If you're interested though, grab a single core set, pretty cheap and has a load of content and variety for the price.
>>
>>46648911
Give her a ticket to ride your dick.
>>
>>46648679
What's great about it you can go for any timescale you want - over the month, over a weekend, a day only tournament. Possibilities are endless.

Some proposals for tournament formats:

Variant 1:
Who gets the most money wins.

Variant 2:
Con somone for at least $100, consult the scoring table for how much VPs you get.

Groups / Points
Normal / 1
Elderly / 5
Children under 10 / 7
Invalids / 10
>>
File: 04015.png (57 KB, 300x418) Image search: [Google]
04015.png
57 KB, 300x418
>>46648983
>LCG model means no real card rarity problems

Opening Moves hit like $80 on the secondary market last year.

Yes, okay, it eventually got reprinted but....
>>
>>46649307
Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>46649307
>>
>>46649438

Haha fucking SOLD!
>>
>>46648911
Try String Railway. It's lovely, accessible, still about trains, and nobody is going to make a phone app of it (even if they do it won't be good).

Try Carcasonne. It's just as passive-aggressive as Ticket but ... ok it's a lot more passive aggressive than Ticket.

Try Paperback. Bitches love Paperback. Seriously, like you wouldn't believe.
>>
What are my fellow white male terrorists excited to play this weekend?
>>
>>46649627

I have a busy schedule of sexual harassment and micro-aggressions to fulfill, but I'm hoping to try out Intercept Orbit.
>>
File: pic2879485_lg.jpg (350 KB, 1024x760) Image search: [Google]
pic2879485_lg.jpg
350 KB, 1024x760
>>46648282
Above and Below
>>
What are some fairly simple but fun war themed strategy games, /tg/? I'm looking for stuff to play with my friend on saturday nights.
I remember playing Stratego as a child, but looking up the rules it seems the game is a bit too reliant on chance to be all that satisfying. I don't know. Any help?
>>
>>46649627
lol
Got Suburbia on clearance Monday, looks straightforward enough that getting it played should be easy
>>46649825
>thread full of 2player and abstract games
just pick one
>>
>>46649825

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is a recent favorite of mine.

Lots to choose from though.
>>
File: ccE-sparta.jpg (45 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ccE-sparta.jpg
45 KB, 640x360
>>46649825
I'm a fan of Commands and Colors: Ancients. It's a card-driven tactical war-game, where you can replay a bunch of battles from the Punic wars, in a rather stylized way.

If you want something more simple, Memoir 44 uses the same basic system, but has fewer unit types, and more focus on terrain. It also has a billion expansions, whereas CC:A only has 5 (technically 6, but one is out of print)
>>
>>46649382
>>46649307
Still wondering what will replace Jackson once Spin gets phased out. When a card is so good no one will play without it in every corp deck ever, you're looking at a design flaw.
>>
File: it fausts panzers.jpg (315 KB, 1024x633) Image search: [Google]
it fausts panzers.jpg
315 KB, 1024x633
>>46649825
I have a soft spot for Heroes of Normandie.
Also Tannhauser, but that's harder to find.
>>
>>46650099
It's a little more complicated than Jackson just being OP - because including him doesn't make corps win a disproportionate number of games. He just very strongly mitigates the effect of random shuffles on agenda density and gives corps a strong ability to affect game length - but runners are still winning at a reasonable rate despite him, and without much negative impact on runner deck design outside of noise getting a little less popular.

They've printed several weaker cards, especially in NBN, that filter draws and hide cards back in R&D - especially at the bottom, but Jackson is just too elegant a solution by comparison. I suspect we'll see those get played a lot more once he rotates out.
>>
>>46649957
>Commands and Colors: Ancients.

Cannot into! Too many miniatures to assemble and paint!

Sorry, I'm have a 40K flashback.

That actually looks really good for a simple historical war game.
>>
>>46648282
That shit is adorable. How heavy would you say it is, how long does it take to play, and should I get it?

I'm about halfway between casual and serious board gamer. Same with my sister. Rest of my family is more casual.

Friends are all casual but more open-minded about getting more into it.
>>
>>46650185
Yep, the game is still heavily stacked in the runner's favor, to the point of inevitability given time. A runner WILL win, unless the corp outmanoeuvers him.
Assymetrical games tread a very weak line balance-wise. Ideally win rate should be 50-50, and Jackson draws that rate a bit closer, that's what makes him so sought after, but it's still a balance issue stemming from the very design of the game.
>>
>>46649825
I'd strongly agree with STEEV's suggestion of Heroes of Normandie. I'd also suggest:

Neuroshima Hex
Nexus Ops
OGRE by Steve Jackson Games (the microgame version is only $3. You can't go to far wrong even if you hate it)
Stronghold 2nd Edition
Forbidden Stars

and if you want to go full WW-II retarded - check out Advanced Squad Leader.
>>
>>46649877
>>46649957
Thanks for the tips. I am looking for games that aren't too long. Around 1-2 hours or so.
>>
>>46650423
Alternatively, if your gaming group's calling in life is being accountants/logistics managers/Count von Count's avatar, and you have A LOT of spare time, you could try Campaign for North Africa.
>>
>>46650476
Most of those can be played in that time frame. Forbidden Stars or Nexus Ops might run long if you have 3 or 4 players.

>>46650509
See >>46650476 - the original Anon is looking for a game that takes a couple of hours, not "twenty to life". I'm almost certain it took less time to actually fight the real campaign for North Africa than it takes to play the game.
>>
>>46647508
Poker.
>>
>>46648282
Agricola is the definition of comfy.
>>
>>46648666
>I know very, very little about this game. Why does it use cards?

It's a tabelau builder where cards have multiple uses: they can be "build", you can make a deal with a card or you can raze it (for it's raze benefit).

>>46650360
It's easy to learn but hard to master. I easily introduced them to friends that *never* get the rules to any game. They got it. There are some more complicated interactions that you need to consult the manual but at it's most basic the game is very easy.

I'd say give it a shot - you'll have fun. Try different things because if all of you play multiplayer soliatere without any novelty the game will quickly go stale.

At it's core it's an euro game, it can be somewhat vicious if you have a mind for it (I thought that my friend would never forgive me for stealing her passive point earning buildings in the last turn).
>>
>>46650360
Also check out this guide/review:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1245768/pink-meeples-quick-start-guide-imperial-settlers
>>
Bumpitty
>>
>>46648282
Viticulture's pretty darn comfy. I suspect Ivor the Engine is incredibly comfy, but I haven't been able to play it yet
>>
Interesting, there's a Steam version of Twilight Struggle that's coming out today. I had no idea it was even being worked on.
>>
File: 1447111817193.jpg (232 KB, 887x900) Image search: [Google]
1447111817193.jpg
232 KB, 887x900
>roommate got his Millennium Blades promo set last weekend
>they still haven't shipped my order of the base game
I'm not ok with this.
>>
>>46654176
Steam has a surprising number of board games on there. Granted, 4 of them are different forms of Risk, but still...
>>
night people.
I have a friend who is looking for a game who uses minis, as more minis the better. now he is not looking for something like Warhammer where you care for your army often, he is looking for a game that have all the components inside and just time to set up everything and play kinda like Blood Rage and from what I remember from him he didn't found anything surprising in that game, so maybe something more meaty would be a good start.
>>
>>46656142

War of the Ring
Star Wars: Rebellion
Cthulhu Wars
BattleLore
Mice and Mystics
Gears of War
>>
>>46656142
>Blood Rage
Chaos int he Old World is a no-brainer.
>>
>>46643626
I know it was a while ago, but what's wrong with Hive? Seemed like a fun, quick game.
>>
>>46645287
It looks beautiful, and seems genius. But that fucking price kills me. It's not even that much, it just feels too much considering the components.
>>
>>46656240
>>46656288
I'll ask him what he likes but I like these
recommendations so far.

... well shit, the fella says he is busy trying to keep with other games. anyways thanks for all.
>>
>>46656563

$20?
What's so bad about that?
>>
>>46634296
Is it redundant to own Imperial Settlers and Nations, or more than one of Cthulhu Wars, Chaos in the old World, and Blood rage?
>>
>>46648282
Tokaido. It's a game about going on a vacation.
>>
>>46657357
Over here the only places where it's available right now is Amazon at $35 or BGGM at $20 + shipping, which I find is usually ~$15.
>>
>>46643622
I do.
>>
>>46657386

So make your own set.
People are already doing print 'n play versions.
The one they're selling is pretty chintzy... chances are whatever you make will be quite a bit nicer.
>>
File: onitama cards.jpg (253 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [Google]
onitama cards.jpg
253 KB, 1024x765
>>46657386
>>46657519

Here ya go.
Go nuts.
>>
Are there any good kaiju-themed games besides King of Tokyo and King of New York?

Hype as a human being can be about Godzilla: Resurgence and it made me wonder.
>>
>>46658553
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/24569/kaiju
Terror in Meeple City is p. good.
>>
File: pic722066_md.jpg (177 KB, 500x253) Image search: [Google]
pic722066_md.jpg
177 KB, 500x253
>>46658553

Smash Monster Rampage! looks okay.

There was also Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars which had cool components but was maybe not a great game?
>>
>>46658717
It's a 5.25 so it's playable but only worth it if you're into the theme.
>>
File: colossal.jpg (81 KB, 437x571) Image search: [Google]
colossal.jpg
81 KB, 437x571
>>46658553

Colossal Arena!

It's about kaiju fighting each other in an arena while you bet on them.
>>
>>46658596
Looks interesting.
>>46658717
Smash Monster Rampage looks cool from a purely visual perspective and apparently isn't half bad. Kaiju World Wars looks not great from a mechanical perspective.
>>46658838
I'll check this out. It's from the 90s, though. Is it in print?
>>
>>46647828
>>46647828
>all rein in each other's more annoying traits.
Zee Garcia has no annoying traits. He is my husbando.
>>
>>46657738
>>
>>46659050
>I'll check this out. It's from the 90s, though. Is it in print?

Should be in print, yeah.
Latest edition is FFG, I think.
Knizia design though.
>>
>>46659277
>Knizia design
Good or bad?
>>
>>46659401

Good.
>>
>>46658596
For as good as it is, the game kinda disappeared after 6 months or so, I'd bet having to re-brand it from Rampage hurt it.

>>46658553
Not really kaiju, but check out Ultimate Warriorz, it's card based, but similar feel and weight to KoT.
>>
Anyone ever play Falling? The first time I got a hold of it my group played like 100 games straight. It's the only game I've ever played that completely omits the concept of player turns.
>>
>>46650912
Are they shuffled and dealt out or is it on cards because it's cheaper than cardboard?
>>
>>46654577
Where do you check to see if they've sent it? I backed it on their website and have gotten literally zero confirmation or information other than that I bought the initial coins to fund it back in the day.
>>
>>46656418
Nothing, it's just very dry. Almost like chess.
>>
>>46657362
Yes.
>>
>>46660050
They're shuffled and dealt. You have a central deck of generic buildings everyone draws from, and a special deck for unique buildings.
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-nations-imperial-settlers/
>>
>>46660085
You'll get an e-mail mentioning fulfillrite if you're in US, or dreamspatcher if in EU. They're supposedly going to be done shipping by tomorrow night.
>>
>>46660868
What does Fullerite have to do with board games?
>>
>>46657357
It's just, considering the components, I'd think it could fit into a Love Letter box. Compared to the physicality we're paying for it feels inflated.
>>
File: 1429261671345.jpg (30 KB, 339x360) Image search: [Google]
1429261671345.jpg
30 KB, 339x360
>>46661125
>>
>>46634296
What's the hardest co-op game?
>>
>>46662299

The hardest *fair* co-op game is the Lord of the Rings LCG.

Difficulty scales as high as you care to follow.
>>
>>46662455
Apparently the upcoming Dark Souls game is being advertised as the hardest board game is why.
>>
>>46662568

Meh. Marketing fluff. It's trivial to make a game nobody can beat, or that just kills you randomly for no reason. It's quite a lot harder to design a game that offers a long series of difficult-but-interesting choices without getting repetitive or arbitrarily punishing.

It's nice to see Fromsoft getting it's IP into the board game market. They have some really cool settings...
but I have low expectations for their first few forays and so should you. Especially the Souls games...

Exploration is the strong point of that series, and exploration is something that is very difficult to make work right in board games. We already know that most of their design budget is going into flashy miniatures, so that pretty much rules out expansive exploration content.
>>
>>46662299
some friends and I had a helluva time trying to beat Robinson Crusoe. That game is hard. It was all we could do to get a damn fire lit, but we always died.
>>
>>46662299
Ghost Stories
Robinson Crusoe
The Grizzled
Space Alert
Witch of Salem
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Yggdrasil
>>46662568
Don't back it, publisher has a bad reputation. Get the Bloodborne game if you must get something soulsish.
>>
>>46662800
>Get Kingdom Death: Monster if you must get something soulsish.

Fixed for real.
>>
>>46662819
The minis are damn fine but $400 for a water-down RPG isn't my cup of tea.
>>
>>46663114
It has some pretty innovative mechanics for a board game and has pretty okay boss battles for not having a GM but it still has some really bone headed design decisions.

>roll to move in a $400 board game
>>
>>46662800
>Implying I'd buy the dark souls game for anything but the nice souls minis
>>
File: 111.jpg (394 KB, 833x559) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
394 KB, 833x559
>>46634296
Maybe not completely abstract, but I managed to obtain a brand new "111". It's a game about air battle over Poland in 1939, a sister game to "303" (about Battle of Britain). Uses the same core mechanics, but adds many more interesting things such as clouds, anti-aircraft artillery and asymmetrical unit balance.

There are dice involved, but it still feels pretty abstract. Each player places 2 clouds on the board before the game. This and the added randomness give the game plenty of replayability. So far I feel it might be a skewed towards the Germans balance-wise (quite historically), but for a full game, players should alternate playing each side, keeping the clouds as they were placed in the first match. One match takes 20 minutes tops, but on average 10-15 minutes.

To sum up, it's a fun 2-player filler game.
>>
>>46663228
>innovative mechanics
Which ones?
>>
>>46648911
Takenoka is a great game
>>
>>46663667
It isn't, but she should like it.
>>
>>46650423
I second that nexus ops suggestion
>>
>board game buddy is having a shitty month at the job
>no energy for games after work
>buying him Steel Police for Neuroshima Hex to cheer him up

I was the one who introduced him to board games and he got reaaaally into it - at the moment he owns at least 30 different games + several expansions. Played many things that I normally wouldn't be able to thanks to him, so might as well give some of the fun back. Steel Police is the last army he's lacking and Neuro is one of our most played games. I'm betting he'll be happy.

Also, a question to people who played Neuroshima Hex 2.5 - what are your thoughts on Mephisto and The Dancer armies? Mephisto looks really interesting and I can't wait for it to be converted into 3.0.
>>
>>46662299
Death angel by far ive played that game for more then ten years and ive won once but it is still alot of fun
>>
>>46660169
>you will never contract dick cancer after having sex with Marie Curie
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.