[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General - Strategy be damned! edition.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: BGG Strategy be damned.jpg (221 KB, 675x650) Image search: [Google]
BGG Strategy be damned.jpg
221 KB, 675x650
Time for a new board games general!

New pastebin - now with more video reviewers. HOORAY!

http://pastebin.com/UU2wicJr

> When you're not in the mood for 'Uber-Strategy' style games - what 'lite' game tickles your fancy?

> What's your secret 'guilty pleasure' - what game do you like even if you know it isn't really a game with good mechanics?

> OK, if you're actually in the mood for a strategy game - what's your favorite?
>>
>>46581554
>> When you're not in the mood for 'Uber-Strategy' style games - what 'lite' game tickles your fancy?

Dixit, Hanabi, & Citadels. (I've also got Telestrations & Code Names but haven't played them yet.)

>> What's your secret 'guilty pleasure' - what game do you like even if you know it isn't really a game with good mechanics?

Talisman - mainly for sentimental reasons (played it a lot with friends decades ago in college). Or "Kittens in a Blender" - it's OK mechanically, but the whole goal of the game is to 'Blend' other player's kittens for points while protecting your own. It's sort of a kids game for amoral children...

>> OK, if you're actually in the mood for a strategy game - what's your favorite?

Neuroshima Hex, several 'Space 4x' games, and multiple war games.
>>
>>46581554

> When you're not in the mood for 'Uber-Strategy' style games - what 'lite' game tickles your fancy?
Never "not in the mood".

> What's your secret 'guilty pleasure' - what game do you like even if you know it isn't really a game with good mechanics?
Can't really think of anything right now.

> OK, if you're actually in the mood for a strategy game - what's your favorite?
Caylus, probably, real meaty, if a bit outdated. Needs a graphic overhaul.
>>
>>46581554

Can anyone update the pastebin?

http://www.gamesempire.com.au/ is another good source of board games for Aussies.

Board games cost quite a lot of money here.
>>
"bored games" maybe! right guys?? right??
>>
>>46581554
"Last night on earth" is one of the best board games ever
>>
>>46584494
"No."
>>
>>46581554

I looove light games. Escape, curse of the temple would probably be my first choice.

Atmosfear/Nightmare (yes the game with the VHS or DVD). It's the dumbest roll & move shit, but I love it. Other than that, pretty much anything made by Flying Frog is both horrible and awesome at the same time.

Shogun(Wallenstein)
>>
Sorry just checking again for a second statement, Battlestar Galactica. When you get to peek at another player's Loyalty card/s, if you find a Cylon card you aren't allowed to just flip it over onto the table face up right? Where does it clarify this?
>>
>>46585510

No idea, I got rid of my Battlestar Galactica years ago, but the answer the other anons gave you was correct : Whoever is allowed to peek at someone else's card can NOT show it to the other players.

The whole essence of the game is LYING. So, even if you've seen someone else's card and it says Cylon, and you announce it to the other players, there's still a chance that YOU are the Cylon, and you're just a filthy lying toaster. If you show the card to everybody, you break the tension, and you break the game. It's common sense really.
>>
You should definitely try Twilight Imperium, it's great for beginners
>>
>>46585607
Yeah, the answer at least made sense since I've been thinking about all the implications involved and sure enough it makes no sense to be able to just reveal their card, but I just know my friends will want a rulebook page number or something as proof.
>>
>>46585628

I'm not sure you'll find definitive proof in the rulebook. In modern boardgaming, a lot of the rules are conveyed by wording.

Just look at Baltar's card :

You may "look" at someone else's loyalty cards.

Look =/= Show

It's that simple
>>
>>46585787
Yeah, that logic is just a bit shaky though...I mean, it doesn't say you can't reveal it either.
>>
>>46585821

A lot of things will never be mentionned in a rulebook. For exemple, the rulebook never says you can not manually roll the dice with your fingers on the table to have it land on the result you want.

Now, as I said, I dont have the game anymore so I dont know if there's a paragraph dedicated to that in the rulebook, but nevertheless, you need to teach your players to stop trying to deliberately break the game to spin it in their favor. That's just a shitty thing to do.
>>
>>46585871
Yeah but conversely, if someone wants to show someone else a card in their hand, I'm not sure people would consider that breaking the rules.

>you need to teach your players to stop trying to deliberately break the game
Stop making such blind assumptions mate, it was our first time playing and someone got overly excited and just quickly slammed the card down when they managed to pick a Cylon card out of a player's two Loyalty cards.
>>
>>46585902

Showing your loyalty card is definitely against the rules, I'm fairly sure that's explicitly said in the rulebook. You'll have to doublecheck, but there's no way it isnt there.

>Stop making such blind assumptions mate, it was our first time playing and someone got overly excited and just quickly slammed the card down when they managed to pick a Cylon card out of a player's two Loyalty cards.

I'm sorry man, but the way you've been asking the question over and over, and not accepting "that's just how it is" as an answer, makes me feel like you're preparing for a goddamn exam just to explain them a simple rule. They don't seem to be the kind of guys that would go "oh, alright, that makes sense".

Sorry if I've been a dick, but that's kind of how it comes off.
>>
>>46585937
>over and over

I asked it once, I got one succinct reply. I took that at face value but then thought of how my friends probably wouldn't when I told them "yeah a dude on a forum said so", so I asked for a second backing statement.
>>
>>46585954

Alright alright, I could've sworn you had at least two answers in the previous thread. I guess I'm cranky today. Sorry again.

Anyway, you've got two people backing that interpretation of the rules, as well as your own common sense since you seem to agree with me and that other anon.
>>
>>46581554
>When you're not in the mood for 'Uber-Strategy' style games - what 'lite' game tickles your fancy?
Uh, I reckon of the "lite" games our group owns Callisto is just about the only one we contemplate playing anymore.

>What's your secret 'guilty pleasure' - what game do you like even if you know it isn't really a game with good mechanics?
Don't have one.

>OK, if you're actually in the mood for a strategy game - what's your favorite?
2 players - Twilight Struggle. Looking forward to giving Pax Baltica a try soon also.
3 players - Triumph&Tragedy
4 players - Terra Mystica I think
5 players - Chaos in the Old World
6 players - Dominant Species
7+ players - Either Struggle of Empires or split into a pair of smaller groups

In other news, apparently Rahdo got to playtest Chad Jensen's (Dominant Species, Combat Commander series) Welcome to Centerville. A medium weight dice-rolling type euro, actually looks kind of interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzjSv7TS6QU

Probably going to P500 it!
>>
>>46581554
Does Tiny Epic Kingdoms count? I don't generally enjoy 'lite' games. I'll play them to satisfy the rest of the group, but they really don't appeal to me. I don't dislike them, but they don't pull me in and never feel particularly worth playing.

Twilight Imperium. I know it's a bloated mess. I know it takes too long to play. I know it really isn't nearly as deep as people say. But man if I don't enjoy it.

I adore Cthulhu Wars. It's short enough and meaty enough to make it to the table constantly.
Argent is a big favorite around here as well. It is a lot longer, but is great.
Terra Mystica is a classic.
I really can't pick a favorite. There are just too many.
>>
>>46583847
It'll be in the next thread - thanks for the contribution. Here's the link to the updated pastebin for everyone...

http://pastebin.com/w0jkangT
>>
>>46584494
>>46585624
Again with the weak-sauce bait?

>>46584629
I'll have to add Escape to my list of things to check out. As for 'Flying Frog' - I don't have any of their stuff, but I'd like to pick up a copy of "Conquest of Planet Earth".

>>46585510
Not the Anon's that you've been talking to - but think about it logically. In a game based on paranoia and distrust / desperation - what makes more sense with that theme? Simply showing everyone the card you drew from the other player's hand - thus eliminating much of the doubt, or one player knowing something but having to convince all the other paranoids the truth of what they saw / think they know?

One of the most hilarious examples I've seen was during a game with a lot of players including a married couple. Another player convinced one of the married couple to execute their spouse 3 times in game, and it turned out later that the spouse who got executed repeatedly was NEVER a Cylon at any point. I still occasionally tease them by asking the husband "Is it just me, or does she look like a Cylon to you too?" (Usually followed by a sever beating from the wife.)
>>
>>46581554
Huh, and I thought /tg/ didn't like SUSD.

Anything with dice rolling I guess. Memoir 44 despite being all about strategy doesn't really feel all that mentally taxing, so probably that. Alternatively, quick and easy to setup games like deck builders (specifically the Realms series, apparently deck builders require quite a bit of setup) or card games.

Guilty pleasure implies that you like a bad game, and I have never thought that way about any game I've played so far.

Twilight Struggle for something heavy, though technically that is my only "strategy" heavy game.
>>
Shadow Hunters
Talisman
Ankh Morpork
>>46588292
>I thought /tg/ didn't like SUSD
They started off well, but they've gotten a little prissy in recent years.
>>
File: 435.jpg (1 MB, 680x4616) Image search: [Google]
435.jpg
1 MB, 680x4616
Usually I'm a fan of longer, heavier games and try to avoid "small" games but for some reason this really grabbed my attention. Probably because of the god and hero powers and the fact that it comes across like Chess Junior or something like that. I don't know. It just seems cool. Who else is hyped for Santorini? Check it out on Kickstarter.
>>
>>46588292
Nah, /tg/ is fine with SUSD when they're not being preachy about "problematic" board games.
They're one of the few reviewers that don't seem like they're secretly a front for some fundamentalist cult or some beardy, social skills lacking troll that lives in the back of a gaming store.
>>
>>46588648
I'm in exactly the same boat. On game nights I want to be playing Terra Mystica, Eclipse, Archipelago, or something equally weighty and long but Santorini is very tempting to me.
>>
>>46588292
It's more the expression on his face than any other reason I picked that image.

As for Deck Builders - I can see where setup would be a potential issue. I would think most folks would simply get things ready for the next during the cleanup of the previous game. I.e. just pull out the presorted decks and be ready to go.

>>46588645
As for SUSD's perspectives - they're not one of the reviewers I typically watch, but I include them in the list of reviewers as they're well known and I'm not here to tell other Anons who to like when it comes to game reviewers.
>>
File: 1451222933529.gif (150 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1451222933529.gif
150 KB, 500x333
>>46588717
>my face reading that rant about Cards Against Humanity
I don't think it was necessary to write that many words for "CAH is offensive and we don't like that or find it funny, and you should too."
>>
File: colossal.jpg (81 KB, 437x571) Image search: [Google]
colossal.jpg
81 KB, 437x571
>>46581554
>> When you're not in the mood for 'Uber-Strategy' style games - what 'lite' game tickles your fancy?

Colossal Arena is a personal favorite.

I find that many "light" games are too simple to stay interesting for long. This one hits the sweet spot - it's nice and light, but making decisions and watching how they play out remains fascinating. Knizia da best.
>>
Looking for the following to add to my collection:

>filler that will make people laugh
>a solid deckbuilding game that isn't a coop
>coop dice-chucking dungeon crawl that will make us feel like badass heroes
>a replacement for chess that everyone hasn't already gotten burnt out on
>>
File: tash kalar.jpg (169 KB, 1000x1346) Image search: [Google]
tash kalar.jpg
169 KB, 1000x1346
>>46589284
Hmmm, yet another game to check out. I'm a fan of Tash Kalar myself for 2 player 'lite' strategy games.

>>46589494
Funemployeed
Telestrations

>a solid deckbuilding game that isn't a coop
Arctic Scavengers
Star Realms
Dominion
Thunderstone Advanced (I think it's OOP).

>coop dice-chucking dungeon crawl that will make us feel like badass heroes
I got nothing for this one...

The Duke
Tash Kalar
>>
>>46589494
>>filler that will make people laugh
Cash N' Guns

>>a solid deckbuilding game that isn't a coop
Ascension is fun, though not everyone likes the artwork.

>>coop dice-chucking dungeon crawl that will make us feel like badass heroes
Hm... I used to have fun with Warhammer Quest, dunno how hard it is to get these days.

>>a replacement for chess that everyone hasn't already gotten burnt out on
The Duke
>>
File: Homeworlds.jpg (17 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
Homeworlds.jpg
17 KB, 259x195
>>46589494
>>coop dice-chucking dungeon crawl that will make us feel like badass heroes

As a rule dice-chucking dungeon crawls are complete shit. Mage Knight might be an exception, depending on who you ask, and will certainly make you feel like badasses.
The rest are monopoly-tier or lower.

>>a replacement for chess that everyone hasn't already gotten burnt out on

Homeworlds or Arimaa.
Homeworlds is seriously an incredible abstract strategy game and gets far too little recognition.

Dancing Eggs. Alcohol mandatory.
>>
>>46589636
>Hm... I used to have fun with Warhammer Quest, dunno how hard it is to get these days.

Got an upgrade and re-issue by FFG recently.
I've heard it's alright.
>>
>>46589645
What if I drop the "dice-chucking" bit? Does that open things up significantly?
>>
>>46589494
Go, shougi, large-board chess variants, any of the icehouse games like other anon's pic related >>46589645

>Arimaa
People still play that?
>>
File: Wrath_of_Ashardalon.jpg (238 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Wrath_of_Ashardalon.jpg
238 KB, 1024x1024
>>46589718
You might look at the D&D series - Wrath of Ashardalon comes to mind for example. Yes, it does have dice. The problem with games like Descent is that it routinely becomes a race between the player and the GM to see who can complete / block the objectives first rather than have players actually explore a dungeon like one would see in a typical RPG dungeon crawl.
>>
>>46589718

Not much.

The other anon's suggestion of Warhammer Quest was a good one. Check out that and Mage Knight.

Avoid Descent like the plague.
>>
File: games.png (27 KB, 1005x799) Image search: [Google]
games.png
27 KB, 1005x799
This is my "collection" on BGG at present. A blank in the Status column means either I have a close friend or family member who owns it and am satisfied with that, or I just have no desire to own it in general.

What am I missing if I want a well-rounded collection? In addition, what games would you recommend for me based on my taste and/or based on the fact that these games represent basically everything I've played besides Munchkin (hated it) and Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity (okay for half an hour once in a long while).
>>
>>46590010

Dominion is probably a mandatory pickup for you.

Risk Legacy would blow your mind.

I think everyone should have at least one good GMT game in their library. As a company they are really good at what they do and nobody else does quite the same things. Some good options are:

Twilight Struggle
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
>>
>>46590010
I'm going to suggest 'Stone Age' and/or 'Castles of Burgundy' in the light to medium 'Euro' category to go along with 7 Wonders.

If you like Forbidden Island, then Forbidden Desert is more challenging and might be to your liking.

As for your 'Deck Builders' - you might like the Legendary Series (Aliens, Predator, Super Heroes)
Star Realms
Arctic Scavengers
Home World
Dominion
>>
>>46581554

Hanabi, Sushi Go and Love Letters. I have a thing for portable card games.

Betrayal of the House on the Hill. The game breaks half the time because the map/items/players are so random, but when it does work, it really is a blast. Have some great memories from that game, but also have memories of the traitor taking 45 minutes to appear and then them winning in 2 5-minute rounds.

Pandemic, just because I have a group of friends who are pretty casual, so watching them freak out and try to figure the game out is a lot of fun.
>>
>>46588957
I wonder why multiple deck builders try the "ok, these are the random market cards for this game" approach rather than the "everything's in the deck, now draw 5 cards to see what you can buy!" method. Setup and cleanup can be so much faster with the latter.
>>
>>46591299
Because then you wouldn't be building a deck?
>>
>>46592507

He's talking about the common pool cards.

Think Star Realms vs Dominion.
>>
>>46592540
Ah, right. That "everything's in the deck" threw me off.
Well, a larger card pool adds variety, new card interactions, strategy and replayability.
>>
>>46591299
Actually that sounds interesting. Gonna try randomizing Thunderstone for cards, then shuffling and dealing out a 5-card market Star Realms-like.
>>
>>46592681
>adds variety, new card interactions, strategy and replayability
Not reeeeally? After all any player would gravitate towards a particular strategy they enjoy, and go for cards that support that strategy. If anything the larger card pool has the advantage of letting you plan ahead, since all the cards you can buy are available from the start. Star Realms' card pool however changes every turn, so you really have to live in the now and buy what you can instead, which forces to think of new ways to use the cards.

...or not really either, since Star Realms' cards are pretty straightforward. Hmm.

>>46593016
Do report back, it'd be interesting to hear a comparison with the usual setup. Maybe shuffle in monsters too, then automatically put them in the hall/corridor(?) when they appear? Could end up Ascension-like though.
>>
Forbidden Stars
>What I want to say it, that if we had a unit with 3HP, we would assign 2 damage to it, rout it and move on to another unit to assign leftover damage.
>Is this wrong?
>Yes, that is wrong.
Well shit, we've been playing it incorrectly then.
So you pick a unit to take damage up to it's full HP and then keep picking the next units until no damage is left? Sounds brutal.
>>
>>46593541
Banding is pretty powerful, anon. Why would you assume you get it implicitly?
>>
>>46593691
What do you mean?
>>
>>46591299
Weak bait. Virtually all deck builders other than Dominion have this feature and it makes the game weaker every time.
>>
>>46593016
It literally takes away all of the strategy in the game, the entire point of deckbuilders is planning a strategy around the variable card pools, if the pool changes randomly each time someone buys something you cant do that and its more like drafting a card each round. You can't even plan turns ahead because the pool will be completely different each turn and the winner is based almost entirely on luck of who got dealt the card they needed on their turn rather than who had the best strategy.

See Ascension, Star Realms and several other deckbuilders that tried this strategy to differentiate themselves from Dominion and instead just weakened their game (in the case of star realm the game is almost purely luck once each player has the basic strategy of the game down).
>>
File: happy_frogs.jpg (149 KB, 960x620) Image search: [Google]
happy_frogs.jpg
149 KB, 960x620
Good, quick, simple 2 player games? Need stuff I can play with my roommate when we are both bored. Looking at Hive and stuff from that GIPF project.
>>
>>46596592
Santorini, Star Realms, Memoir '44, Flash Point, 7 Wonders: Duel,
>>
>>46596894
>>46596592
The Duke is pretty quick too.
>>
File: The Duke.jpg (34 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
The Duke.jpg
34 KB, 450x338
>>46597175
Does playing this game require being indoctrinated in its cult? It seems much too popular.
>>
>>46597379
If you mean on /bgg/ it's almost always me.
>>
File: 45634655.jpg (2 MB, 2682x1836) Image search: [Google]
45634655.jpg
2 MB, 2682x1836
>>46596894
>>46588751
>>46588648

>when you don't have Santorini but the Kickstarter really made you wanna play it

Regular tokens for floors, Grudge tokens for domes. Cosmic Encounter pieces haven't been used in a while anyway...
>>
>>46596592

Thunder & Lightning should be out soon.
>>
>>46597379
Fuck you anon now I gotta rewatch that movie.

As for cultish, it's not quite that bad, TI3 or Twilight Struggle have that kinda following. The Duke is just talked about a lot because it appeals to people who don't enjoy abstracts due to the fast play.
>>
>>46597701

You don't have ANY tools or access to a workshop or makerspace? :-S
>>
File: pic2951844_lg.jpg (208 KB, 1024x853) Image search: [Google]
pic2951844_lg.jpg
208 KB, 1024x853
>>46597867
>>
File: 1389146306950.jpg (8 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
1389146306950.jpg
8 KB, 224x225
>>46597867
> Not understanding how to have fun without spending a Gorillian dollars $$$$$ on a trial version while awaiting the finished product.

MFW...
>>
>>46597867
Even if, why would I put that much time and resources into this if it's perfectly playable as it is? I'll just wait until it gets a wide release. The new one with the gods I mean. I know that Santorini has been around longer.
>>
File: PopUpToyRubberCapWholesale.jpg (10 KB, 274x275) Image search: [Google]
PopUpToyRubberCapWholesale.jpg
10 KB, 274x275
>>46597943
>>46597981

>a Gorillian dollars $$$$$

Literally all you need to do is cut squares out of a material of your choosing and track down some things that are vaguely round and ideally blue.

I could put together a reasonably attractive Santorini set in an afternoon, for less than ten dollars. Probably for free since I have materials on hand.

In fact, I think I'm going to try building a portable set. Possibly magnetic.
>>
>>46597701
So I just looked into this since people have been talking about this recently and I wanna know if it's solved. As in are there correct/perfect moves and an AI could calculate perfect moves?
>>
>>46596592
Jaipur
>>
>>46598277
Looks like the state space is only (5^25)*(25!/21!)=90479850769042968750000<2^77. Should be trivial to solve, relatively speaking.
>>
>>46598869
Did you consider that spaces with domes are out of the game and that you can purposely force this? And also that you can't move to spaces with other builders and can purposely move yours to block your opponent? And the different levels?
Not questioning you mate I just fail to understand how it's easy to calculate with so many variables.
>>
Should I buy carcassonne

???

Current collection is machi koro and mottainai for a more stategic time.
>>
Anybody here tried Raptor?

This dude seems hype about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUO8j-b4yaY

But I've never watched any reviews of his of games I've played, so I don't know how similar our taste is. Not that I know with anon, either, but hopefully I'll get multiple opinions.
>>
>>46598970
Domes and such make the state space smaller since your cylinders can't be on top of a dome.

Basically you make a big database with all game positions where 20 tiles have been built already; then you go backward to 19 tiles and see which 20-tile position you reach; and backward again and again until you run out of HD space. Then from the start of the game, you look at every possible move until you hit something in the big database.

Gods make things rather different since they change the rules, and if you consider "pick the best god" as part of the game then it gets a bit tricky.
>>
>>46599072
Everyone in the world except for me thinks it's great. I think it's pretty fucking boring.
>>
>>46598277

All perfect information games will fall to the machine.

That shouldn't stop you from playing them.
>>
>>46599072
Carc would be the next step up in complexity and depth.
>>
>>46599084
>20 tiles have been built
20 tiles have been built all the way to domes*

Also you want to check the position to see if you already won, of course.
>>
>>46599098
/bgg/ agrees, with you, generally.
>>
I want to buy a single deck-builder. My sister has Arctic Scavengers, and I often game with her and her fiance, so I don't necessarily want to get it unless I somehow get so hooked I need to have it available for playing with other friends.

What else is good?
>>
>>46600615
Literally the only good deck-builder I've ever played is the Naruto Shippuden one by Cryptozoic.
>>
>>46600801
>Naruto
I want to believe this is bait.
Please tell me this is bait.
>>
>>46601031
It really isn't, sadly.
>>
File: 6161l0UZJUL._SL1500_.jpg (62 KB, 500x416) Image search: [Google]
6161l0UZJUL._SL1500_.jpg
62 KB, 500x416
Does D&D in a box exist? My friends are pretty casual, so traditional D&D might be a bit much. Just got them into boardgames, and would love to have them create characters and go on an adventure. The Pathfinder card game looks pretty tempting.

Anyone with opinions?
>>
>>46601577
That game seems very hit-or-miss with a lot of people. I like to play it with my sister and her boyfriend. I play the bard and get to do all kinds of shenanigans with swapping cards from my discard pile and my hand.
>>
What are some good racing games?

I don't mean games where you play in real time and race to do something; I mean games that represent a race around a track.
>>
>>46601652
The only one I know of is Formula D
>>
>>46601652
If you want cars + track, you want Thunder Alley. If you're taking about just a race from a to b in general? Jamaica, Hare and Tortoise (the Iello version not the old one), Pitch Car, Roadzters/Bisikle, Snow Tails, Ave Caesar, and Robo Rally are all pretty good.

>>46601775
Also solid, but really it's just a game that works for people who've only played roll/move games in their youth.
>>
>>46601577
>Does D&D in a box exist?

There are dungeon crawl games. Most of them are really pretty bad.

>>46601652

The most prominent racing board games are Formula D and Pitch Car.

I tried really hard to like Formula D but despite the gorgeous components and visual production it is simply boring. It's a roll & move game at it's core and it just never quite gets past that.

Pitch Car is a bit too simple to stay interesting.

GMT makes a couple of racing games, but I'm not sure if they're any better. Formula Motor Racing & Thunder Alley.
>>
>>46601577
I haven't played the Pathfinder card game but from my understanding its more like a Rogue-like video game (character progression, highly randomized, little narration/story elements). There are also a bunch of D&D board games.
>>
>>46601577
The only people I know who like it also play pathfinder, so make of that what you will.

Anyone got any hot opinions on Catacombs? A friend just bought so it so I might be playing it soon. Not sure about the whole flickin discs thing.
>>
>>46588648
God this game looks really good
>>
>>46602035

Not a big fan of flickin' games.
They get boring as soon as you try to git gud.

Catacombs does enough fun stuff that I could see playing it a few times, but I wouldn't want to own it myself.
>>
>>46601885
Thunder Alley is a bit too "this game is for NASCAR fans" I think. I don't really care about real motorsports. Jamaica might be cool. Snow Tails looks too light, Ave Caesar is out of print, and Robo Rally isn't quite what I'm looking for.

So I guess I'll check out Jamaica, Hare and Tortoise, Pitch Car, and Roadzters/Bisikle. Not sure I want a dexterity game though. Anyway, thank you for the advice on where to start.
>>
File: rallyman2.jpg (592 KB, 2362x1772) Image search: [Google]
rallyman2.jpg
592 KB, 2362x1772
>>46602259

This one seems pretty cool.
Just reading a review now.
>>
>>46602259
>Roadzters/Bisikle
Forgot to mention this is out of print too, and damn near impossible to find in the states. Took me 10 months of searching to find a copy under $80, but I refuse to buy PitchCar because I know it'll warp just enough to not lay perfectly flat which will kill my autism.

As for Thunder Alley/Nascar, I loathe racing, but the gameplay is too solid for me to not get behind it. I think it's the part of me that wants to play GMT war games all day, but no one I game with has any interest.

Thanks for the heads up on Ave Caesar though, I'd heard about a reprint, but hadn't bothered to look it up, turns out it's just the Portuguese edition and they replaced the metal chariots with wooden meeples.
>>
Any opinions on the World of Tanks deckbuilder?

>>46595472
Do name some of them, I'd be interested in knowing. The only titles I know with the 'draw from a deck for the card pool' mechanic are the Realms games and Ascension.

As for 'deckbuilders where you first create a random tableau of cards to buy from', I know of:

Trains
Thunderstone Advanced
Arctic Scavengers (no random tableau though)
Xenoshyft I think?

>>46595587
Ahh, I see. I can understand why some might not like the random cards each turn thing.
>>
>>46603437
He's saying virtually all but Dominion have the "draw 5 and choose from them" rather than "here's the stacks."
>>
I'm really interested in Super Dungeon Explore. Should I wait for 2.0/Legends or just dive right in?
>>
Getting together with a friend I used to play mtg with all the time. Looking for another good dueling game to spice things up. Any thoughts on these or others?

Mage Wars Academy (played arena. liked the spellbook but the game dragged on way too long)
Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn
Battlecon Devastation of Indines
>>
Does /tg/ have an active VASSAL community?

I'd like to play with people I know vaguely rather than straight out unknowns
>>
>>46601652
>What are some good racing games?
Steampunk Rally is pretty great. Plays up to 8, too.
>>
>>46603480
I know, which is why I wanted to know some of them, maybe look out for them since I like deckbuilders.
>>
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but is it still possible to acquire Mage Knight for less than 110 dollars? I've heard rumors of a reprint soon but no one has a date.
>>
>>46603958
I would very highly recommend waiting for 2.0.

In my opinion SDE is currently in an 'almost a fun game' position. It has a neat setting, wonderful minis, and fantastic art if you like that style.

However, the game balance feels dramatically slanted towards the heroes in 80% of situations, especially in Arcade mode (players versus AI deck). Arcade mode felt like a painful slog to me since you can very easily control the aggro of the enemies and stack armor on one guy and let him take all the hits while everyone else wails away with impunity. At that point it just felt like a numbers game. We had so many dice on defense on the tank and so many dice on attack on the others that it was just a matter of time until we mowed through enemies. And oh boy did it take time. We did a four player arcade game and got 3/4 of the way through and it took us nearly four hours. We decided to just end it at the third tile and fight the boss instead of going to a fourth. And the boss is supposed to be a big scary guy! But he just felt like a faceless monster just like all the others except with bigger numbers. Overall a very interesting simulation of an MMO multiplayer dungeon, but just not very fun to me.

Classic mode fares better as the consul will actually play intelligently and attack weaknesses and perhaps throw some surprises at the heroes, but it still feels stacked in the heroes favor due to the way loot/treasures can stack up, though it takes a very long time for the heroes to win.

So wait until 2.0 to see if they can pull this one out of the fire. Currently it's on my chopping block. Going to play forgotten king rules one more time and then Legends when it comes out but if it doesn't revive the game for me, it's going to be sold. I really want to like it, but my collection has no room for boring games.
>>
>>46604274
A bit cheaper.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/379470

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VLAADA-CHVATIL-MAGE-KNIGHT-BOARD-GAME-NEW-UNUSED-OPENED-ONLY-TO-VERIFY-COMPLETE-/252344764533?hash=item3ac0eb8875:g:y4YAAOSw5VZXA8Gz#shpCntId
>>
>>46583847

http://boardgamesearch.com.au is my go-to for finding games in Aus.
>>
>>46603991
None that I know of - but it might be worth while to start one. I haven't used Vassal in a very long time so I couldn't begin to tell you how to go about it.
>>
>>46604721
Added to the list - I'll update the pastebin again soon. Thanks.
>>
>>46604136
Deckbuilders that I know/are in my collection

Set stacks:
Dominion
Thunderstone
Arctic Scavengers
Trains
Flip City
Machi Koro (though can be randomized if chosen to)
Xenoshyft
Super Motherload

Randomized Purchasing:
Legendary
Core Worlds
Deck Building the Deck Building game
Star Realms
High Command
>>
>>46604844

A Few Acres of Snow
>>
>>46601577
Most adventure/dungeon crawl boardgames that I know of have essentially zero narrative.
I know Descent uses scenarios, but it's also expensive and chunky enough that the newest D&D starter kit's probably better--and it's sure as hell cheaper.
>>
>>46604844
>Machi Koro
Huh, never thought of that as a deckbuilder. Which makes me think if you can play randomized purchasing for stuff like san juan too.

Heard of most these including A Few Acres of Snow, thanks for the response. What's High Command and Core Worlds about?
>>
>>46605072
High Command is a game set in the Warmachine universe. Each person takes control of a faction and chooses three 'leader' cards and try to accumulate VP by building their army and capturing locations. Each player will have their own personal buy deck that only they can buy from and its composition depends on what leaders you chose. During your turn you'll play cards from your hand to generate resources to either buy cards from your personal buy row or deploy units from your hand to locations(number of locations depends on number of players). Opposing units will fight. At the beginning of your turn if you have 2 more units on any location and everyone else you capture it and add it to your deck (they generally are worth many VP). Your capturing force is removed from the game (they aren't part of your deck anymore but they're still worth VP at the end).

There's also an even deck where one card comes out each turn, giving bonuses like making cards cheaper or giving extra draws.

Overall an alright game if you're into the Warmachine universe. If you're not I'd say it doesn't fare as well since the way combat works it's almost a waste to actually fight someone hard for a point since deploying cards can be expensive and they'll die pretty easy in combat. Everyone kinda sticks on a location that no one else is on and occasionally pops a unit on someone else's zone to slow their capture. If you go hard after someone who's thick on a point, using the same resources you probably could have bought a unit card that was worth a VP or two or plopped them on a location that didn't have anyone.

I'm not sure what kind of houserules or design changes could make it work better but for a game set in such a conflict heavy universe it really feels like the only real combat your do is little tiny jabs at each other.
>>
>>46605072
Core Worlds put each player in charge of a fledgling race on the edges of the galaxy. The organization and alliances of the Core Worlds is faltering and it's the perfect time for you to dive in and take control. Most VP at the end wins.

Each player starts with an identical deck and a unique 'hero' card. Each turn new cards from the 'sector' you are in are drawn into a buy area with cards from one turn ago essentially getting a one energy refund for obtaining, and cards from two turns ago being wiped off the board. You spend two turns in each of the five sectors and each sector has a different deck of cards with value and power increasing as you near the core worlds.

Players have a set amount of 'actions' each turn with 'energy' being generated by the planets they control. Actions and energy are spent to purchase ships/vehicles/infantry(unit cards), deploy units, invade planets, and activate special ability cards.

You deploy your forces into your 'warzone' in front of you and when you can meet or beat a planet's defensive strengths you conquer the planet, discarding units used, and add it to your warzone. Planets generally give you energy production, VP, and sometimes special abilities.

The core worlds have special scoring values, one world gives you a big bonus for how many starships you have, one for infantry, one for special ability cards, etc.

If you are looking at getting Core World I would highly recommend looking at the Galactic Orders expansion. It adds a whole new level of strategy that would take another post.
>>
>>46604854
A Few Acres of Snow is good if neither player knows the 'Always Wins' strategy that one side can employ. Sadly the author knows about it but hasn't been able to fix it or is unwilling to do so.
>>
What are some print and play (legally or otherwise) games that are actually fun? Already have The Duke, Hive, Hanabi, Sushi Go.

t. Poorfag
>>
>>46599084
>Gods make things rather different since they change the rules, and if you consider "pick the best god" as part of the game then it gets a bit tricky.
Santorini really has hit that perfect level of simplicity that you can actually map out actions, their possibilities, and patterns/values and then find where to tweak it. You could even make a map of it and where each God power takes effect.
>>
>mage knight out of stock
>thunderstone advance out of print
>Robinson crusoe still hasnt been reprinted

god damn it the fuck
its like they dont want my money
>>
>>46606014
the good thing about robinson crusoe is the reprint they're doing for later this year will have new art by vincent dutrait, so I'm more than happy to hold off on that.
>>
>>46601577
pathfinder beginner box has a scenario and is better than the ACG
>>
>>46604844
Add Resident Evil to set stacks.
>>
>>46601577
Opinions on the Pathfinder card game? It's garbage. The only people I've seen enjoy it are people who are heavily invested in Pathfinder in the first place.
>>
>played this weekend
Innovation- really can't wait for the 3rd edition expansions
The Grizzled- one of my friends got absolutely fucked by the shuffle, dragged the rest of us down into his personal hell. Intriguing how the most unassuming hard knocks manage to fuck us
City of Iron- Laukat games always have me torn. They all tend to be cut from the same cloth mechanically and to me have no hook. This one had the closest thing to a sandbox feel, and it was engaging strategically, but I'm still hesitant to say I like it
Lost in the Woods or some shit- kickstarter game from no-name publisher that's half as interesting as BaHotH but thankfully also half the playing time
Star Wars Risk- keep wavering between thinking Empire is OP or that it's balanced after my second play with the clarified rules. Got crushed by dead draws as resistance
New York 1901- really, really liked this one which surprised me. would consider buying this one myself as a Ticket to Ride substitute
Dominion (Dark Ages/Guilds/Adventures)- one of the best games I've played of this. Randomly picked an amazing setup
Witness-FINALLY. Wanted to play this since before release, just could never justify buying it. I love this kind of thing though. First case felt really clever, cases 2 and 3 felt like variations on each other and the first one. Still fun though
Headbandz- Got cornered into it by the new girl. Enjoyable closer though
>>46589284
bought this in a B&N clearance and only managed to get a full play once (first time rules didn't click with the group). It fell sort of flat, and it ended with extra monsters remaining which felt cheap. Also takes up too much table space. I really wanted to like it, and I've been bringing it to game night recently again so I can give it another shot
>>46598869
>>46598277
>solved
thismemeagain
FYI a game can have a proven dominant strategy without being solved. I found some concerns that Santorini has kingmaker issues at 3 player but no dominant strategies that I've seen
>>
>>46606954
>thismemeagain
It is a perfect information game with less than 2^77 states. It's solvable by computer.
>>
>>46606970
it's a meme because idiots on the internet equate solved to "I can look up a basic strategy and win 100% of games wtf this game's broken"...although looking at his post that's not what he's saying at all
>2^77 states
yeah but there are exponentially many more legal moves than legal positions. Up to 64 legal moves each turn, not counting the god powers. In order to actually make a strong solving algorithm you need to have a decision tree for every possible move, not just board states
>>
>>46607185
I think what we're saying is that that Google DeepMind could beat anyone at it.
>>
>>46607185
>>46607199
Also, a legal move is just a relationship between two legal positions.
>>
>>46607199
if that's what you're saying, then that would make you one of those people who don't know what solved means. They didn't solve Go, DeepBlue didn't solve Chess. Just because an AI beats humans doesn't mean a game is solved
>>46607210
yes but 64 legal moves is a relationship between one legal position and 64 other legal positions...per player turn. And that's after seeding the game with one of 300,000+ legal starting positions. It's not trivial. At all.
>>
>>46607199
Google deep mind and a dedicated team would probably beat anyone at any board game with perfect information (and probably games with imperfect infromation too, but it hasn't been tried so I'm not going to speculate). It's not really comparable. But let's pause for a bit.

First of all a state space of 2^77 is not "solvable by computer".

Chess is not solvable by computer yet - especially in the starting game the computer only does alpha/beta pruning with a heuristic measure. It does not solve the full game until the very last turn. This is usually what we mean by "solved" (like checkers or tic-tac-toe)

If the game doesn't have a nice heuristic measure of "goodness" of a state then it can't be approached the way chess is approached.

In chess when there's too much pieces at the start of the game a heuristic measure of "goodness" of a position is used. Usually done by counting the strength of pieces, how many center positions are "covered" so on and so forth.

Deep mind's approach is different because it learns the heuristic measure by infering it from historical data and by playing against itself millions of times.
>>
>>46607400
>and a dedicated team
You just need to teach DeepMind what the fail condition is and what the rules are and it works out the game by itself.
>>
>>46607428
> just
>>
>>46607428
>>46607437
Apart from the fact that encoding the rules of any game is not exactly trivial (especially if it has to be done efficiently) deep learning itself is a finicky bitch.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has to be manually verified, reseaded with random starting weights if it gets stuck in local optima, also human error in setting up the parameters, environment so on and so forth.

The deep mind team doesn't sit on it's ass whole day.
>>
>>46607480
>The deep mind team doesn't sit on it's ass whole day.
That's what they want you to think, while Google DeepMined programs DeepMind for them.
>>
>>46607480
Can they do that with games with randomized elements? (shuffled decks, dice rolls, etc.)
>>
>>46607185
Are you retarded? Oh wait, you're a tripfag, of course you're retarded. You don't need a database for every move, just the *result* of each move. It doesn't matter whether your cube was at 1,1 or 1,3 or whatever before you moved it to 1,2 and built at 2,2. The game state in either case is "cylinder at a,b, cylinder at c,d, cube at e,f, cube at 1,2, all tiles level 0 except 2,2 which is level 1"

>>46607400
You must be one of those people who can't count past 5. No, numbers don't go "1,2,3,4,5,impossible to represent by human or computer." And yes, you can explain the rules of Santorini to a computer so that it can tell whether a move wins the game.

Chess has a state space of a bit less than 2^157. And since you probably don't know what that means, no that's not twice as much. It's a very big number. Comparing santorini to chess is absurd.

Checkers has a state space of a bit less than 2^69 and was weakly solved 9 years ago by the Chinook team. Computers are a just bit faster now, so if you want to repeat what they did, you "just" buy a bunch of terabyte hard drives and fill them up with a database of late-game positions, then search from the start position until you hit something in the database.

>>46607437
>>46607480
>they think it's hard to write a program that can detect "do I have a legal move? if not, I lose" and "did I just move a piece to a level 3 tile? if so, I win"
Computers can run programs that are a bit more complicated than your pocket calculator, guys.
>>
>>46607887
> You must be one of those people who can't count past 5. No, numbers don't go "1,2,3,4,5,impossible to represent by human or computer.

Fuck you. Actually I based my assumptions on the first hit I got
on "chess state space" bu here http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_space
but this is wrong. Never mind the rest of the discussion, agreed completely Santorini is trivially solvable.
> Computers can run programs that are a bit more complicated than your pocket calculator, guys.
You miss the point.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying you need to have a dedicated team to tackle a game (not that Santorini needs solving this way) - Deep Mind isn't magic.

The problem is also not in encoding the rules but to do so
a) correctly (i.e in chess there are some "special rules" like castling, en passant, promotion to different pieces)
b) efficiently.
Implementation and testing takes time (like I say the only thing a programmer can do in a day is take a shit, all other things take at least a week)

>>46607590
The method could be used in games with imperfect information - monte carlo tree search was also used in such games (like poker) and that's the basis of deep mind. It wasn't tried, though, and I'm not going to speculate how successful it would be.
>>
>>46581554
Welcome to the Dungeon. Somebody here recommended it to me and I'm really greatful. It's been consistently fun and engaging. New players get the same amount of fun as old ones. It's just great
Last Night on Earth. I know people here hate on it but it's a fun game just wave your brain goodbye and enjoy. It's random. Like really random - roll to move, success or defeat is usually determined not by strategy but what cards the heroes get and when the zombie player gets his zombies/gets cards that can fuck something up big time.
StarCraft. I've been shilling it here for a long time so won't describe why.

Any more recommendations for the Uber-Strategy genre? We're getting a little bored of StarCraft and we could use some fresh air - from this thread Struggle of Empires looks nice.

Nice to have:
* 5-6 players (+)
* asymmetric but balanced
* 2-3+ hr playing time
>>
>>46609738
Also:
* not TI3 (not going to buy a game that needs fan-made expansions to be viable)
* not Rex/Dune (I want Dune but it's OOP, Rex seems like a Chinese knock-off of Dune)
>>
File: Twilight Imperium.jpg (234 KB, 900x582) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Imperium.jpg
234 KB, 900x582
>>
>>46609760
>Rex seems like a chinese knock-off of dune
I understand the sentiment, but rarely do the chinese actually improve on a product while knocking it off. And Rex WOULD be Dune 1.5 if the herbert estate wasn't so damn busy trying to convince everyone that hitler was right about jews.

Strongly advise you get over it and try Rex anyways, it's phenomenally good and surprisingly easy to forget you're not playing dune, as long as the rest of the players have read the book. (And if they haven't, why are you socializing with them?)
>>
>>46604844
Add ascension and Nightfall.

>>46603984
Ashes: really enjoy the deckbuilding and play, but with just one core set, you will have to share/split some of the most powerful cards. I wound up buying a second set with my buddy paying for half, and from there it has been a wild ride. You can also try it on tabletop simulator. Someone made a fantastic mod for it.

Battlecon gets praise from most everyone around here. Duels can get a bit long sometimes, but there are several ways of getting into it and seeing if it is up your alley. The largest stand alone expansion: Devastation of Indines, gives you so much bang for your buck it is a little obscene.

You should look into Summoner Wars. Feels like a distilled miniatures game (and I mean VERY distilled). Cards on a grid, dice chucking, but quick brutal combat, and you have to manage your hand, mana reserves, and board state simultaneously. Lots of expansions, rather balanced, and every army feels different in how it gets things done. Oh, and you can tweak the decks somewhat, and the options have grown a lot over the years. Would recommend the Alliances Master set or the original Master set.

For something a lot quicker, with a neat combat timing elements, I would also add Neuroshima Hex! It has a great mobile app that is probably better than the physical game, but the base game has 4 different armies, and games are still fun and fast. Which is why >>46596592 should also consider it.
>>
>>46581554
>light game
Nevermore is a fun drafting game with direct player interaction even after "player elimination", always up for a game of that

>guilty pleasure
I guess HeroQuest is outdated mechanically

>favourite
Duel of Ages II, I love the ridiculous theme on top of the gameplay

I still really want to get a game of Titan going but I think that will be a month away, at least. I could probably pull it off on an upcoming Sunday. Anyone got any useful noob tips?
>>
>>46609738

Dominant Species?

Terra Mystica appears to be hot on bgg.
Race for the Galaxy is good for lower player counts.

Honestly I think you're kinda crazy for wanting to play a heavy strategy game with six or more players.
>>
File: pic2262122_lg.jpg (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pic2262122_lg.jpg
1 MB, 1024x768
>>46609738
>Any more recommendations for the Uber-Strategy genre?

Here I Stand

It'll blow your mind.
>>
>Play game with friend A
>Game is supposed to take 45-60 minutes
>Takes a long time to plan and execute his moves
>Takes two hours

>Play game with friend B
>Game is supposed to take 45-60 minutes
>He makes quick decisions
>Takes 50 minutes

Anyone else have to struggle with this? I enjoy socializing with both people but being only being able to play half as many games in the same time frame can be stressful since the games really can feel like they drag on.

I've tried to encourage A to move faster in different ways, bringing it up kindly out of game, ribbing him for it (as light hearted insults is one of the core aspects of the way our group of friends interact with each other), and flat out asking him to move a bit quicker and he takes it badly every way.
>>
>>46610731
How does he take it badly? Describe what he does after you ask him to play faster.
>>
>>46610308
> And if they haven't, why are you socializing with them?

Don't rub it in. If I were picky I wouldn't have any friends.
>>
>>46607887
>you don't need a database for every move, just the result of each move
Your statement is seemingly contradictory. I know what you mean, but your phrasing is at the root of your misunderstanding.

So in my data structure, each node's key will be a snapshot of the current board state, and it needs to point to all other nodes that are reachable from the current board state and, for easy solving, a few helpful variables to be assigned during tree generation. Each node will store the following values: isStartState, isEndState, up to 64 child pointers, maximin, and minimax. If you're a software engineer you know where this is going. Just use a simple minimax algorithm to solve for any given starting board position, or have your algorithm choose a starting board position.

You're right though, the previous board state doesn't matter, which is why there is no pointer back to the parent node. Also this data structure affords us to point two or more parent game states to a single child board state. Doesn't change the fact that tree generation would take double exponential time. Thankfully in a thousand years when tree generation is done, the solver will be very snappy.

>no number is impossible to represent by human or computer
...integer primitives have maximum values. In most cases it's 2^15-1, but if you count unsigned integers it's 2^32-1. But to get to the root of your argument, the minimum amount of memory to store all board states (not even including player pieces, just buildings) is over a billion Petabytes. 100bits*2^77. Obviously you wouldn't represent each board state in memory like that, but despite how quantifiable these permutations are, it should be obvious that representing them in a computer is non-trivial.
>checkers was weakly solved
So you did read the Wikipedia page! Checkers also has something like 6-12 legal moves per player turn. And weakly solved does not equate to strongly solved.
>>
>>46610308
Also re Rex - I really really really dislike the shift. Also some people swear by Rex's changes some people think that Dune is the better of the games mechanically. Hard for me to tell without having played neither of them. The best of both world would be to make my DIY version of Dune and having Rex's rules as an option.

>>46610446
I have Dominant Species - it's nice and I'm hoping to get it on the table now that some people are saying that StarCraft is starting to bore them

Terra Mystica is best at 4 I heard, also it's kind of related to Dominant Species (well not really but both are more Euro-y). I'll probably get it someday but not today ;).

I wanted to get Race for the Galaxy previously but it's 4 player only - 6 players with all the expansions. It's hard to get a copy, though (or maybe I'm not looking correctly)
>>46610504
Oooh thanks this looks nice.
>>
>>46610731
Friend A probably takes the games too hard and thinks if he plays poorly he'll look stupid. Play something with a little more luck involved so he can blame that when he loses, and he may lighten up a bit.
>>
>tfw no one wants to play power grid just because you majored in maths
>>
>>46611432
>tfw no one wants to play fury of dracula just because you majored in undead studies
>>
>>46611474
>tfw no one wants to play you in ti3 as you are a xeno warlord from the year 20XX
>>
>>46611564
>twf no one wants to play the resistance with you 'cause you're a motherfucking liar
>>
>>46611590
>tfw no one wants to go drinking with you because you're the only one with license
>>
>>46610308
>>46610838
I've shifted the requirement to they have to have seen the miniseries from 2000. They're still heathens, but at least there's some culture getting through to them. STEEV's right though, Rex is really solid, but if you really want Dune, there's loads of files for printing your own on BGG.
>>
>>46610773
He gets defensive and says that he should be able to take the time he needs to make the best move and will get angry if you press the issue further.

Which is a sentiment I understand, but when he's taking two to three times the turn length of other people it get's painful. Before we implemented a turn clock on our tabletop games he would take twenty minutes to complete a turn for a mid-small sized army while I could finish mine in five to ten, what is generally considered the average time for a turn in the game.

>>46611393
It's actually little funny. He says he likes games that have deep strategy and almost recommends them to play, but the ones where he has visibly had the most fun is very light highly random stuff. And even then he still takes long turns. We once had a game of Boss Monster last a bit over an hour.
>>
>>46611720
>tfw no one wants to go drinking with you because you and all your friends are grad students and too busy to drink anywhere but at your computers while banging out a first draft that you'll have to edit sober
>>
File: never go up against a sicilian.jpg (28 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
never go up against a sicilian.jpg
28 KB, 600x330
>>46611906

>editing while sober

That shit is ILLEGAL.
>>
File: library wishlist.jpg (467 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
library wishlist.jpg
467 KB, 960x960
Hey guys. Based on my current library (I know, it's pretty small) and my wishlist, can you create something like, I don't know, a profile for me? Is there something you'd say I'm missing or something I should cross off my wishlist?
>>
>>46611958
If you edit drunk, your work still sucks? I mean, buzzed, sure, but you can write a first draft so wet you slosh when you lean.
>>
>>46611906
>tfw you are a grad student that drank everywhere with everyone. The office was for sobbing.

Drinking and clubbing on a tuesday afternoon or straight after classes brought such relief.
>>
>>46611858
In that case, do what it sounds like you've done: set a turn clock. Anyone who goes over the time limit skips the rest of their turn. He'll complain at first, but hold firm. He'll soon either adapt to the environment or quit.
>>
Should I buy Space Hulk? There is a pc version of this game and I really like it and want the tabletop version, but it's pretty expansive.
>>
>>46611245
>Oooh thanks this looks nice.
Just keep in mind Here I Stand is probably something like 5-6+ hours playtime!

Another game that I'd say is worth looking into is the Mare Nostrum reprint.
>>
>>46612159

>Should I buy Space Hulk?

Nah. There's no game in the game.
All you do is roll dice.

What about it do you enjoy?
>>
>>46612244
Planning your movements, and placing your dudes in the most favorable positions on the map. Also, I like that the game takes place in the really tiny rooms. Also, it reminds me of the Aliens movie. And I don't vind the die rolls. Also. I like games with miniatures.
>>
File: pic2015174_md.jpg (82 KB, 483x500) Image search: [Google]
pic2015174_md.jpg
82 KB, 483x500
>>46612293

Check out Incursion as a fairly similar alternative to Space Hulk.

I would personally suggest XenoShyft. It's a different type of game on the same theme.
>>
File: Gears_board_game.jpg (137 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Gears_board_game.jpg
137 KB, 960x540
>>46612293
>>46612379

Oh! Also the Gears of War board game is supposed to be pretty good.
>>
>>46612379
Thanks man.
Does the starter set of incursion has any miniatures?
>>46612403
But it's a co-op game. I also like asymmetrical type of game from Space Hulk.
>>
>>46612453
>Does the starter set of incursion has any miniatures?

No idea desu.

>But it's a co-op game. I also like asymmetrical type of game from Space Hulk.

Check out Claustrophobia for this.
>>
>>46612496
Thanks.
>>
Taking a shot in the dark here.
My group, itching for a new game, decided to get Zombicide: Black Plague. It's good enough, even if it's co-op.
But we're interested in previewing what add-ons can we get, and I can't find a list of other Survivors and what they do. A not-so-quick check online was fruitless. Does anybody have a clue where I could look for those?
>>
>>46612293
Check out Level 7: Omega Protocol.

Has asymmetric gameplay, unique abilities, tight confines, and alien abominations coming out of every crack and crevice.
>>
>>46612952
>alien abominations coming out of every crack and crevice.
Right into the waiting arms of a man with infinity thermite grenades.
I love the game, but damn if it doesn't feel like an uphill battle for the overseer most of the time.
>>
>>46612973
In the early missions definitely yes. However some of the later missions get more tough for the marines.

Also if you think about it from the viewpoint of the overseer, he know he's got more resources than the team infiltrating even if individual model firepower is lower, so he's got to slow them down and wear them down. Using a ceiling collapse to injure someone might be tempting, but if you can block enough of a passage to make the team want to take a long way around to make them take extra turns to get to their objective, or spend the extra adrenaline to climb through the stuff, you've put them at a severe disadvantage.
>>
>>46611977
you seem to like space. If you want more space try Space Alert or Eminent Domain: Battlecruisers.
>>
>>46588648
>Aphrodite
>Dem Hips.jpg

Looks like the autist had a serious thick-girls fetish.
>>
>>46613368
Who doesn't.
>>
>>46613368

>Slightly biting her lower lip while making "come hither" eyes

Instant diamonds.
Gets me every fucking time.
>>
>>46613513
2chibi4me, but I can't shake the feeling I've seen the artist's work somewhere else.
>>
>>46612244
>What about it do you enjoy

The aesthetic. The tiles are great. The variety of set ups and scenarios. The models are great quality. The nostalgia. The theme. The lopsided gameplay depending on the scenario.

It's Space Hulk man. It's a classic.
>>
>>46613397
>>46613513

I'm guessing this >>46613368 anon doesn't cause he called it out as a fetish.

>Your waifu a shit

>Cleves to confident Athena.
>>
>>46611474
>tfw nobody wants to play anything with you because you majored in gender studies

Shitlords.
>>
>>46613636
Same artists did Steampunk Rally and Super Motherload along with a half dozen other games for Roxley
>>
File: pic2963697_md.jpg (191 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
pic2963697_md.jpg
191 KB, 500x339
Might be cool

>Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway
>Notable absence of whoever-the-fuck is The Guy in the more recent series

Making a good first impression here, Gale Force Nine!
>>
File: pic2962924_md.jpg (64 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
pic2962924_md.jpg
64 KB, 500x389
>>46614663

>Klingons
>Romulans
>Federation

So far, so good!
>>
>>46614703
Looking decent so far, though just showing D'Deridex/Galaxy/Vor'cha ship models is a little annoying, would have liked to see at least a little variety.
>>
>>46611432
>Take an eternity on your turns, pretending it's because you're calculating everything and not because you're slower than molasses on Christmas eve
>Trying to pass it off as people being afraid of your math skillz

Please anon, you can lie to me, just don't lie to yourself.
>>
File: pic2620686.jpg (2 MB, 1547x2143) Image search: [Google]
pic2620686.jpg
2 MB, 1547x2143
Had my best game of Eclipse ever last night (which is only like my sixth game of Eclipse ever, but that's neither here nor there). I was the Octantis - the evolution guys - up against the Exiles and a Terran. We were playing with both expansions.

I realized late in the game that I could be stacking evolution bonuses that give me extra victory points at the end, so I pushed on that, and netted 54 points when all was said and done, easily 20 points ahead of second place.
>>
>>46614801

Ship class autism is probably beyond the scope of the game.

Planned expansions are apparently:

Cardassian
Ferengi
NPC Borg

Seems like they're hitting a lot of the right notes for a good solid American style 4x.
>>
>>46614828
He just means that he doesn't have any friends.

Because he majored in maths.
>>
>>46614912
>>
>>46614912
>Ferengi expansion planned before Dominion.
Something here is amiss.
>>
My friend just gave me his old copy of Through the Ages since he got a new one. He told me that his new copy was improved, but since he hasn't played it yet, he couldn't really elaborate on why. Could anyone here tell me what the differences between the old and new versions are? Thanks in advance.

Additionally, has anyone seen the Aeon's End thing on kickstarter? I'm interested in it because I used to play Starcraft II and the designer was a professional player in that game. Was wondering if any of you guys had any thoughts on the game he's designing.
>>
>>46615129

Wrong quadrant, senpai.
Do you even timeline?
>>
>>46615239
>Aeon's End
It actually looks really good. One of my friend's is backing it so I did a bunch of research on it (he often makes poor decision, as evidenced by his frequent use of kickstarter, so I try to help out) and I am seriously impressed.

The only thing I don't like about it is the art style, which is very chintzy and bleh. But the game is fantastic. I would back it myself as well, but I dislike deckbuilders.
>>
>>46615261
>Wrong quadrant, senpai.
How is this a problem?
>Do you even timeline?
Sisko's got the goatee on the box, dominion confirmed.
>>
>>46615261
>>46615517
NERD FIIIIIGHT
>>
>>46615517

It's from the dudes who did Firefly and it's umpteen expansions.

You'll get your Dominion and probably the Quezon, the Maquis, the Vulcans, and everyone else in due course.
>>
>>46615239

- General re-balancing of cards.
- The order you do things in a turn is restructured to be less dumb (for example, previously you produced resources and then checked if you produced too many for the corruption penalty, now you check if you produced too many last turn before producing resources making it clearer how many resources you need to spend to avoid corruption)
- Tactics cards which add to your military can now be copied by your opponents (at a higher cost and only after 1 round) mitigating lucky draws.
-Military units can no longer be sacrificed for a temporary boost, preventing situations where a weaker player could successfully defend himself from one attack but then just get his shit pushed in by the next guy.
-To compensate, all military cards can be discarded for +1 temporary military.
-Leaders no longer take an action to replace, encouraging you to switch leaders instead of just waiting for them to die.
- Better art.

Might be some other small stuff but I did like it more.
>>
>>46615634
Can all the things you mentioned just be done in the older version, minus the better art? Or were the boards / pieces / cards changed or something?
>>
File: the duke.jpg (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the duke.jpg
160 KB, 1920x1080
Is this worth getting?
>>
>>46616305

Yes.
>>
>>46616305
Absolutely, one of the best lightweight abstracts.
>>
>>46614912
I'm digging the unique player boards for the factions too, and the sliders.
>>
>>46581554

I come bearing an odd request.

A buddy of mine, a few months back, showed me a small board game of his called "Knight's bridge" (might be one word.) Very simple mechanically, a rectangular board, each player gets 3 pieces that can move one space horizontally or vertically a turn, and a treasure chest in the middle: You win the game by using your knights to push (an action they can take in lieu of a move) the treasure chest back to your starting row.

You can also push the other guy's knights, and therein lies all the tactics of the game, but that's basically it. Anyway, we played a few games, I had no idea what I was doing, lost em all, had a fun evening.

I recently remembered that evening, and went looking for the game or a set, and can't be able to find anything. And my buddy's claiming that he doesn't remember what I'm talking about.

Does such a game exist, or am I having some kind of weird hallucination/false memory?
>>
Tabletop simulator any good? I really don't get together with my buddies in person that much anymore.

It looks kinda shitty, but I'm not sure what else to do to scratch the boardgame itch.
>>
>>46599072
I actually don't like it that much. I prefer other Tile laying games such as Isle of skye or The Castles of Mad King Ludwig
>>
>>46617201
You are talking about 'Knight's Bridge Field' which is a game you can play in Ultima the video game.
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Knight's_Bridge_Field

As far as I know it doesn't exists as a real life game.

Anon, did you get transported into the world of Ultima like a 90's movie and didn't realize it?
>>
File: Analysis Paralysis 02.jpg (49 KB, 432x292) Image search: [Google]
Analysis Paralysis 02.jpg
49 KB, 432x292
>>46611858
Wow, that's some serious analysis paralysis there. I like winning too, but not such that I'm going to diminish everyone else's enjoyment of the game in the process.
>>
Hey, what are some good traditional games for betting people for small cash? Talking 20 bucks tops off one person but maybe a hundred or so by the end of a night.
>>
>>46614884
Wow, I'll have to check out the expansion rules. I think my funniest game was a 1 vs 1 with me as Terrans verses those damn plant people. I ended up with the anti-matter cannons, but it didn't matter when I could frag a dreadnought, and he'd build 2 new ones the next turn (and then wonder what to spend the rest of his economy on...) The little green bastids just wouldn't stop. I got exterminated around turn 7 or 8. :)
>>
>>46615129
It's the Ferengi. Does anyone not think they bribed the contractors in order to get ahead in the production Que?
>>
>>46618575

Thematic considerations aside, I'm sure they made the cut because they have a focus on trade & trade agreements and so offer gameplay a bit different from most other factions.
>>
>>46618515
Betting on Skull sounds pretty hilarious and much more time-efficient than poker.
>>
>>46618630
Is it a game where you can get as good as you can at poker? If it were popular enough, could they have pro tournaments?

I don't know enough about it to know how deep strategy is and how high the skill ceiling.

I don't just want to bet. I want to win.
>>
File: IMG_2349-Edit-1024x728.jpg (207 KB, 1024x728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2349-Edit-1024x728.jpg
207 KB, 1024x728
>>46618515

Coup.
Coup is absolutely perfect for this.

I've always wanted to play it for stakes but my group is skittish.
>>
>>46618673
Same questions as asked in >>46618687
>>
>>46618704

Coup is a bit simpler than Poker.
Emphasis is on the head-games.

If you want something poker-weight that isn't poker, I'm not sure...

Mahjong?
That's a classic gambling game.
>>
>>46618545
Oh, the expansion boxes are great. And they're modular, so you can only add the parts that you think would be interesting. Warps make the galaxy a little tighter, ancient hives can burst open and spill ships out for you to deal with, deep space anomalies can roll out of the rift and just destroy whole systems, leaving dead planets...

It's great.
>>
File: colossal2.png (310 KB, 397x512) Image search: [Google]
colossal2.png
310 KB, 397x512
>>46618704

Colossal Arena would be really easy to play as a gambling game, since it is already structured and themed that way.

Definitely a skill cap higher than Coup.
Possibly Poker-ish in that regard.

Another one that I've always wanted to try as a gambling game.
>>
>>46607428
As someone who works in machine learning, this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
>>
>>46607887
Rock, Paper, Scissors has a state space of 9 and will never be solved by computers, there's more to it than that.
>>
>>46611858
I speak from a shit ton of experience when I say that this guy does not have analysis paralysis. This guy has a strong desire to seem like the kind of deep thinking person that thinks long and hard and puzzles out the secrets the game has to offer. This person probably thinks of themself as an intellectual Sherlock Holmes or Jace Beleren type who is set apart from others by their towering intellect only they completely appreciate. Sadly board games attract a lot of people like this and I usually lay out their options then remind them that it's their turn repeatedly, especially if it's turns where they CLEARLY aren't making a decision because there is only one option or only one obviously good option.
>>
>>46611977
Your wishlist (other than santorini) reads exactly like the list of the last games I've played that were highly recommended and I didn't enjoy at all.
>>
>>46612700
Just buy another game, don't spend good money on eking more blood out of the system with characters that barely change the gameplay at all
>>
>>46618700
Can't you privately ask the poorest member of the group what they're comfortable betting and suggest that amount? Then you avoid awkwardness, embarrassment, guilt at having taken money someone needed, etc.
>>
>>46615626
A game shop owner who owns a chain of around five stores recently told me that Firefly is by far his best selling boardgame. I never would have guessed but it makes sense in retrospect.
>>
>>46619407
Ah. That sounds disappointing.
But good advice to quell the "new game excitement".
Either way it was good to finally play a new game after burning Civilization down so hard the tiles are imprinted on the table.
>>
File: chips.jpg (112 KB, 1300x870) Image search: [Google]
chips.jpg
112 KB, 1300x870
>>46619482

It's not about the amount in play. It's some kind of intellectual or emotional block for them. There are some wives that tag along, etc. I don't entirely understand why, but they won't consider the idea.

It's obvious to me that certain games are dramatically improved by staking even trivial amounts of money on them. For instance playing Poker without anything on the line is a waste of time because there's literally no incentive for people to not call down a bluff. They have nothing whatsoever to lose. So there's no strong incentive to bluff at all, and *whoosh* suddenly there goes the whole game out the window. You're just being assigned random cards and playing them more or less at face value. It's boring and only barely a game at all.

But if you have people stake $5 on the evening, suddenly they'll play like it's their life on the line and the game comes alive.

Coup desperately needs that little boost in tension to keep people from just shrugging and calling a bluff.
>>
>>46619780
If you really, really love the game it might be good to get other "seasons" or expansions that add content. It really is close to a role playing game in that you can keep playing as long as there's new content, it's more about the scenario than it is coming up with a really good strategy. (Also if you just love some miniature it wouldn't hurt to get them, the purest ameritrash game is hitting action figures into each other after all)
>>
>>46614478
+1 internets for you
>>
>>46620243

>Giving anything to someone who even sarcastically pretended to have majored in gender studies

While I admire the benevolent impulse, your charity is wasted.
>>
>>46616305
You can PnP the thing if you wanna try it out first
>>
My favorite games are: Keyflower, Eclipse, Troyes, and now Archipelago which plays like a magnificent love child of the former three games.
>>
>>46617249
It doesn't do anything for you except for shuffling decks. No calculations or mechanics integration, so you actually have to know how the game plays, plus, the interface needs a little getting used to. It is real good for what it is. A simulator.
>>
>>46610504

Suberbly executed theme; 40 pages of rules; 6+ hours to play; a total dicefest where chance determines the winner most of the time. It is weird and I love it.
>>
>>46620788

There's just something about GMT games.

You look at a picture and they look okay, but when you actually have one in your hands they're utterly incredible. Their production is utterly, unflinchingly professional.
>>
>>46615239
>>46615634
>>46615736
The old TtA is less forgiving, more war-focused and more exciting. If you prefer wargames get this.
The new TtA is sleeker, more balanced and has higher production values. If you prefer eurogames get this.
>>
>>46620116
>the purest ameritrash game is hitting action figures into each other after all
One of the guys in my group is absolutely a fan of this, which sometimes severely limits our choices (Seven Kingdoms +2 expansions still gathers dust...).

Strategy-wise I found that it was really simple... but as it is the norm, I messed up big time on one rule (instead of distributing 'hits' on the targets, we were distributing 'damage points'). So we ended up playing our first quests on easy mode.
Even taking that into account there's not THAT much variety, but adding characters would at the very least modify the party dynamics a little bit, I hoped.
>>
Has anyone played Rum & Bones? The second version is up on KS , and it looks like it's an improvement.

Also the second Ghostbusters game; I do appreciate the addition of equipment and event cards.
>>
File: Federation & Empire.jpg (40 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Federation & Empire.jpg
40 KB, 500x373
As long as we're talking Star Trek games...

Anyone played Federation & Empire?
>>
>>46623218
I haven't. After seeing that image, I want to but also am terrified to.
>>
File: romulan fleet board.jpg (254 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
romulan fleet board.jpg
254 KB, 1024x768
>>46623247

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1185496/federation-empire-descent-madness

This charming review sold me on it.
Seems like quite a fucking experience.
>>
File: pic2046223_lg.jpg (256 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pic2046223_lg.jpg
256 KB, 1024x768
>>46623422

Federation "shipyards"

Part of me is horrified, but...
>>
File: martok2.jpg (5 KB, 200x185) Image search: [Google]
martok2.jpg
5 KB, 200x185
>>46623218
>>46623422
>>46623481
mfw
>>
>>46623218
>>46623422
>>46623481
how the fetch you keep a track of all of this?
>>
File: 1454306506269.gif (3 MB, 386x232) Image search: [Google]
1454306506269.gif
3 MB, 386x232
>>46623897

>"What's wrong, anon?"
>"You're not afraid of a few tokens, are you?"
>"We HEARD you were a hard-core gamer..."
>>
>>46624369
Do all of those girls have dicks?
>>
>>46624369
Probably not at first, but after tentacles become involved most likely yes.
>>
Are there any 4X games that do the eXplore part of the genre particularly well? I haven't come across one that does but it seems like it might be kind of hard for a board game to pull off with limited components.
>>
>>46624865

Seafall Legacy is just around the corner.
>>
>>46619352
Really? All of them other than Santorini? Why didn't you like them? Can you recommend other games?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.