[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
File: 1458728600764.jpg (55 KB, 329x475) Image search: [Google]
1458728600764.jpg
55 KB, 329x475
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread
>>46547838

Would you rather play a campaign that was light and only loosely followed the rules or a campaign that was crunchy and with a rules-lawyer DM?
>>
>>46558490
Well the rules are shit, so I'll take the first one.
>>
>>46558419
>How is it not RAW
Nobody gives a fuck that your rules exploit is RAW, if your plan to break the universe involves wish, the universe will fucking break you.

>>46558484
>What would happen if the Simulacrum wished to become real?
Most likely thing I'd consider doing honestly. That or TPTB granting the wish figure out the subterfuge and give the caster the finger for thinking it wouldn't register as him.
>>
>>46558430
older thread over here
>>
>>46558490
The first. It sounds like a much more enjoyable time. However, I have played in the second style of game, and that's enjoyable too if everyone's on board.
>>
>>46558490
The first is better although I don't mind the second either. It would both feel like two different games.
>>
Aight so I'm starting a new campaign soon with a Barbarian Tank for the group.

At first the DM didn't allow variant humans so I didn't roll for one. Not that I wanted to but I followed the rules and then found out they allowed one so I asked if I could get some minor changes to the character features but before I ask I wanna see if any of you guys think it's asking for too much.

My intimidation skill is only a 2. I asked to forgo an extra skill to get double proficiency on Intimidation as it's my only real good "social" skill outside of combat.

or

I asked if I could use reckless rage with Dex weapons too.

or

I was gonna ask if I could wield a versatile longsword with just one hand and receive the 1d10 damage die on the account of my race being half-orc and having high str.
>>
>>46558792
>I asked to forgo an extra skill to get double proficiency on Intimidation as it's my only real good "social" skill outside of combat.
You can make this less complicated by asking your DM if your Strength score applies to your Intimidation instead on specific rolls.

>I asked if I could use reckless rage with Dex weapons too.
Eh. I don't see the point.

>I was gonna ask if I could wield a versatile longsword with just one hand and receive the 1d10 damage die on the account of my race being half-orc and having high str.
You could ask him to implement a Monkey Grip style feat. Wield a greatsword with one hand or, in your case, gain the versatile bonus while wielding with one hand.

Also, you probably wanna go to the other thread linked above. It's getting more replies.
>>
>>46558792
Also, there's nothing inherently "ooooh, super strong, too OP" about Variant Human. Feat is nice, but it's not worth modifying other races.
>>
>>46558792
I don't really see why you need any of those things.

If you're particularly worried about your intimidate skill it's not unheard of to use strength on intimidate for at least a few situations. That was a common house rule pretty much forever and I think the ability check section of the PHB talks about it.

The dex weapon thing just sounds like you're trying to game unarmed defense to get a high AC without the downsides of improving dex as a barbarian. I wouldn't allow it myself

And the last thing would only improve damage by a single point on average

I don't see what any of that has to do with the human bonus feat though. I don't think the racial abilities are so far behind feats that they need a boost
>>
File: 1458516105785.jpg (358 KB, 800x995) Image search: [Google]
1458516105785.jpg
358 KB, 800x995
The other thread is shit, can this be the new thread?

>>46558490
I'd rather have both campaigns. The former with friends I have outside of D&D and the latter with friends I have for the explicit purpose of playing hardcore D&D.
>>
>>46558878
>You could ask him to implement a Monkey Grip style feat. Wield a greatsword with one hand or, in your case, gain the versatile bonus while wielding with one hand.

Honestly not worth the feat, unless it comes with some other benefits.

Think about it, he could just get +2 STR for that feat slot and gain the +1 damage, and also +1 attack, save, athletics, etc.
>>
>>46559853
I thought that feats were only worth +1 to an ability score.
>>
>>46559873
You trade ASIs (which are +2 or +1/+1) for feats. So a feat should be around the same strength as that. Many feats have abilities on top of adding +1 to a stat.

For a feat I'd probably let him straight up one hand a heavy weapon, which would have the added benefit of combining with heavy weapon master and polearm master as well. Maybe even add a clause about oversized TWF.
>>
File: cultist.jpg (52 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
cultist.jpg
52 KB, 600x462
How can I play a GOOlock without being lolcthulhupopculturereference? I was thinking about playing a commoner that wound up peering into the madness of the far realms, but a friend recommended that I make my patron an elder brain of a mindflayer society. I really want to play up the cultist aspect, so I think that being a cultist human spy for a mindflayer council for the above world could be interesting.

How does teegee handle warlock cultists?
>>
File: baby-2.jpg (63 KB, 398x490) Image search: [Google]
baby-2.jpg
63 KB, 398x490
>be me
>play with a shitty blade singer.
>literally runs away when he takes any damage. Has left us to die with bosses in the past.
>build a 2 paladin/5 sorcerer. Palasorus Rex, if you will.
>tell everyone I'm also playing a blade singer.
>combat starts, it's my turn.
>"With my free action, I initiate my blade song."
>"Uh.. blade song is a bonus action."
>"I know. I am using the free action version."
>DM rolls 18 to hit, "Nah son, my AC is 19."
>"Isn't your AC supposed to be 20?"
>"Nah, it's the free action version of blade song so it's 19."
>Everyone's confused.
>My turn comes around, I booming blade some idiot then I smite, then I twin, and I smite his buddy standing next to them. Then I move away because mobile feat.
>"OK what the fuck. Blade Singers can't smite."
>"I ain't cheating faggot. I can smite. I let the priests fuck my little part-dragon boy ass for 2 levels so I can get some of that young holy power."
>The anger begins to rise. "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU TWINNING?"
>"I USED MY SORCERY POINTS, RETARD."
>It's like they don't even know how sorcery works.
>situate myself and quicken a lightning bolt.
>tfw the bladesinger only did 2d8 + 8 damage.
>tfw everyone realizes you're not actually a blade singer.
>tfw you build a better blade singer.
>>
>>46558490
Honestly it depends. Both can be fun depending on how creative the DM is or how good the module he is running is. Personally I prefer to stick closer to the rules so I'd probably go with the rule lawyer game.
>>
File: 201412_1753_fdcca_sm.jpg (12 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
201412_1753_fdcca_sm.jpg
12 KB, 300x230
>>46559997
>>
File: the_cultist_by_souracid-d5hdkpw.jpg (239 KB, 666x942) Image search: [Google]
the_cultist_by_souracid-d5hdkpw.jpg
239 KB, 666x942
So you can deal damage to an opponent without making an attack? I got in an argument with my DM about boosting vicious mockery via hex earlier
>>
>>46560668
There are spells that can deal damage without an attackroll yes. Most spells that use saving throws will always hit and require a saving throw to lessen or avoid the damage and in turn don't use attack rolls. Hex requires the one who cast the spell to make an attack roll in order to proc the extra damage. Its basically a fail safe in the hex spell to help prevent it from being abused to a great extent.

That is some nice art btw.
>>
>>46559931
Play it like a cleric, but with a wide-eyed and more creepy devotion. Give your monstrosity an innocuous nickname like "The Seer" or "The Guide of Us All".

Your goal should be to indoctrinate people in your cult, but be wary of paladins and clerics of more mainstream religions. If you wanna play a secret cultist, don't blab on too much about your alien patron to those types and focus on increasing your flock through neutral NPCs and PCs who don't really care about such things.

I also give my GOOlock a soft cajun drawl like you'd find in the Lousiana bayous. "All ahr welcome to the flawck. All ahr weyelcome!"
>>
>>46560732
So stuff like Sacred Flame always hits unless they make the Dex save right? AC and wisdom modifiers don't come into it?
>>
>>46562307

AC doesn't come into it. The caster's Wisdom helps determine the DC to avoid it.
>>
Anyone know if they're going to remake this book in 5th edition?
>>
File: bad.jpg (71 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
bad.jpg
71 KB, 600x597
>played as a DM for the first time yesterday
>stumbling on words
>couldn't come up with cool stuff on the fly
>long pauses in combat
>combat was boring since the creatures kept using the same abilities
>couldn't keep track of stuff properly
>players were looking on their phones, i don't blame them
>tfw you just wanted people to enjoy themselves

Feels really shit, man. I just wanted my foreverDM to enjoy himself as a player for a change.
>>
I've been using the random tables in the OotA guide to generate some encounter plans before the next session.
One of the ones I was given was a muck pit with a giant rocktopus in it. I really like this encounter idea so I'm thinking of buffing it so it's more of a threat to my level 3 party.

The idea I have (other than increasing HP and AC) is to give it the multi attack and fling (with a 20 yard range) abilities on top of it's usual block. This means it can attack two targets or pick up and throw one in a single turn, for a max of 4d6 damage to one target.
I want the threat of a player dying to be pretty real here, so I'm wondering if there's anything more/else I can do to make this interesting.

Encounter wise, they're moving through difficult terrain and the rocktopus will try to ambush them with advantage so I'm thinking this might be enough.
>>
>>46562589
Don't worry about it. DMing, like anything else is a skill. Keep doing it and you'll start learning how to do these things well. It just takes experience and practice.
>>
>>46562589
It gets easier, learn from your mistakes and make a gameplan for next time. Some people are better at improv and some people need to work with rails. Figure out what kind of story you want to tell and remember, you're not playing a video game but telling an interactive story.
>>
>>46562714
>>46562779

I suppose. They said they had fun and wanted to play again, but they were probably just being nice.
>>
>>46562965
Doubt is the game killer, chat with them outside of the game and work on what didn't pan out too well outside the game. When you're inside the game though, lose that thinking. You're in the story and you don't break immersion for the however many hours you play.
>>
>>46563000

I'll ask them today. One of our player's brother is having a little birthday party.
>>
I wanna play a Tempest Hill Dwarf Cleric with a sailing background, but I'm having trouble picking out a god to worship. There aren't any Dwarven gods that are super into the Tempest domain and the one god I feel can fit my character is Njord from the Norse pantheon. Should I wait and see what pantheons are available from my DM or should I just stick with Njord?
>>
Do you guys play music during your games? I keep wanting to play some ambient music but I'm not sure what exactly to play.
>>
>>46564068
http://tabletopaudio.com/
>>
>>46564101
The internet is incredible.
>>
File: sad warforged.jpg (67 KB, 667x679) Image search: [Google]
sad warforged.jpg
67 KB, 667x679
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/march-survey-results

>04/29/2015
>I expect that you’ll see some revisions to the Eberron material before the end of the year.

We're never getting it, are we?
>>
File: 1427767527000.jpg (13 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1427767527000.jpg
13 KB, 250x250
>>46559997
>19 AC
...+4 Dex and a shield?
In any case, I have a character that's Bard X/Sorcerer 1 so I get that sweet spell progression and Magical Secrets with constant scaly armor and melee cantrips.
>>
>>46564233
- Baldman Games is doing shorter adventures and modules for AL
- Occasional UAs will instead be a review of select DMsG content.
- The last UA had Inquisitives.

This adds up to a lot more time to spend developing and testing more substantial content, and a continued interest in updating Eberron concepts to the new edition. They're definitely working on it.

I might even go so far as to wager that the Shakespeare-inspired, Giant-focused campaign will be set in Eberron.
>>
>>46566550
>I might even go so far as to wager that the Shakespeare-inspired, Giant-focused campaign will be set in Eberron.
Nah, that one was basically confirmed to be in the Realms.

The other one Perkins talked about in the interview that mentioned that had airships, "a pulpy feel," and barbarian burial mounds, so... if that one isn't in Eberron I'll buy a hat and eat it.
>>
So I am working on the campaign I'm about to start running next week.

I designed a small region, jotted a couple ideas for what happens after it, and then suddenly had a shit idea.

What if they leave this first region, and discover they're in a high magic version of Revolutionary America?

The longer I think about this horrible idea, the more it tempts me. Somebody wake me up.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.