[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5EG Kill Your Party Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: Blackula.png (210 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Blackula.png
210 KB, 500x375
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread
>>46547838

How are you planning on killing your teammate's, /tg/?

Alternatively, what vampire do you replace Strahd with in order to make CoS more entertaining?
>>
File: [za warudo intensifies].gif (86 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
[za warudo intensifies].gif
86 KB, 200x200
>>46558430
>Alternatively, what vampire do you replace Strahd with in order to make CoS more entertaining?
>>
>>46558484
Well, if you tell it to Wish for that then it's up to the DM what happens. Personally I'd make it a fully functioning NPC and then rip off any number of "clone tries to kill the original" movies that exist.
>>
>>46558430
>How are you planning on killing your teammate's, /tg/?

By fighting enemies we can't kill, then sneaking away mid-battle. Stealthily pushing them into traps or getting enemies pissed off at them is the plan too. I could use some more strategies though.
>>
>>46558430
>Alternatively, what vampire do you replace Strahd with in order to make CoS more entertaining?
Simon Belmont.
>>
>>46558532
If the Wish is cast of his own volition, totally okay.

If it's obvious the wish isn't being cast by the Simulacrum of his own will, nothing that qualifies as wish granter is going to be fooled by an animated snowman.

Wish is a spell you either play safe with or get ready to be burned horribly.
>>
Simulacra can't cast Wish as they don't have desires
>>
>>46558532
I was thinking more along the lines of it deciding to cast Wish itself.
>>
>>46558673
Nowhere in 5e does it really say that a Wish is granted by anything. Wizards cast arcane magic, not divine magic. It isn't being granted by anyone when you use the spell yourself. I guess you could claim that in FR that since arcane magic is powered by the weave that Mystra grants them. Simulacrum does specifically state that for all intents and purposes that the Simulacrum is a creature, so unless you're specifically trying to piss off Mystra with your Wish then I don't see why it would be stopped.

>>46558702
No but if you tell it to cast Wish then it will, it obeys all your commands.
>>
>>46558702
> Not educating your Simulacra
> Not having a slightly homoerotic Teacher/student relationship
> Not setting up a timeless demiplane that looks like a small town schoolhouse
> Not spanking your Simulacra for magical reasons
> Not doing all of this to subtly infect your Simulacra with a conscious desire for pleasing you and fulfilling your wishes.
>>
>>46558728
Wish relies on having desires to fulfill. If the thing casting the wish is doing it for someone else, then the failure risk applies to that someone else.

>Nowhere in 5e does it really say
That includes the rules of the universe. More importantly if there's nothing granting it, then the monkey paw effect from trying to twist wish is the universe reacting back anyway. So back to square 1, an illusory being isn't casting wish in its own name.
>>
>>46558728
Going entirely by RAW, which is what people want to try and abuse anyway,
>Wish is the mightiest spell a mortal creature can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter the very foundations of reality in accord with your desires.

Specifies that the caster must desire something or the spell would accomplish nothing.
>>
>>46558809
> My master told me that they want X.
> Master said X would make them happy.
> I want nothing more than for my master to be happy.
> I wish for my master to have X.

Is it really that hard for you to understand?
>>
>>46558839
>Oh isn't that great, we'll kindly remember your master, yes we will
>sound of two d10s rolling
>>
>>46558839
It does not have desires of it's own, including the desire to make "master" happy.

It will do what you say, and act according to your wishes, it does not have the ability to learn and thus cannot be "taught" desire.

It can cast the spell. It can say it desires things. It can act as if it desires things. It does not. Even going by strict RAW, this stupid abuse attempt fails, and no DM would read it to be RAI as you stated.
>>
>>46558430
his son

Dharts
>>
>>46558885
Name a wish granting race. I bet you, hands down, that they take slaves. So why would they object to granting wishes wished by slaves in the name of their master? Totally fits with the mythology of genies, too. Not everything is a fucking monkies paw, you goddamned moron.
>>
>>46558800
>>46558809
You serious? So what, if a player says they cast Wish and tell you what they Wish for, you would just usurp them and say "your character does not desire that, instead x happens"?

It's pretty fucking clearly a flavorful way of saying "what they say when they cast this spell happens" and you're an idiot if you disagree.
>>
ight so I'm starting a new campaign soon with a Barbarian Tank for the group.

At first the DM didn't allow variant humans so I didn't roll for one. Not that I wanted to but I followed the rules and then found out they allowed one so I asked if I could get some minor changes to the character features but before I ask I wanna see if any of you guys think it's asking for too much.

My intimidation skill is only a 2. I asked to forgo an extra skill to get double proficiency on Intimidation as it's my only real good "social" skill outside of combat.

or

I asked if I could use rage with Dex weapons and receive the extra damage

or

I was gonna ask if I could wield a versatile longsword with just one hand and receive the 1d10 damage die on the account of my race being half-orc and having high str.
>>
>>46558886
Cast awaken on it. But also a bunch of mind control spells to bend it to your will further.

>>46558908
Truly diabolical.
>>
>>46558920
In casting the spell, the PC in character would be desiring of whatever effect they were attempting. The exception would be some form of mind control, which, yes, i would prevent a Wish spell from functioning under any form of direct mind control, although not automatically fail if the caster is mentally manipulated to feel desire.

This arguement isn't about whether a spell caster casting Wish is limited in any way, but entirely if an un-desiring being can cast a spell that specifically state that it relies on the desire, or WISH, of the caster and have it function.

RAW it can't cast it, and i doubt any genuine read RAI would allow a simulacrum to begin an infinite wish chain.
>>
>>46558927
> I asked to forgo an extra skill to get double proficiency on Intimidation as it's my only real good "social" skill outside of combat.

No. It's great *in* combat, and you should try roleplaying.

> I asked if I could use rage with Dex weapons and receive the extra damage

No.

> I was gonna ask if I could wield a versatile longsword with just one hand and receive the 1d10 damage die on the account of my race being half-orc and having high str.

No. Maybe if you were a goliath, but otherwise no.
>>
>>46558961
Fluff isn't rules.
>>
i dont plan to kill my teammates but if they fail their checks he would let them die if they dont ask for help
>>
>>46558939
I would say that an awakened Simalucrum, assuming i allowed it to function at all together, would have a mind of its own, and since it would not be beholden to its creator, not inherently want to follow its every command any more.
Feel free to try and convince the newly awakened 9th level spell caster with stats equal to your own to potentially harm itself or forever its own ability to cast Wish because you asked though. You'd better be convincing, or he'll do whatever the PC would have done in the same situation.

Create it's own simalucrum to have awakened and ask it to wish.
>>
>>46558961
You sure you don't have autism? It's clearly not meant to mechanically mean 'desires', it's just written in fancy way of saying they ask for shit and it happens.
>>
>>46558988
Ignoring the spell description isn't RAW.
>>
>>46558920
The simulacrum isn't an extension of the caster to the extent that he can have 100% control over it. More importantly I'm not taking control away from the simulacrum, I'm saying the universe isn't fooled and rolling a d100
>>
>>46559016
It's just as clear that an infinite loop of wishing simalucrums isn't intended, but since i don't think anyone is arguing against that, RAW and RAI agree, even if you don't like the way it's written.
>>
>>46558997
Awakened does not mean it knows the extent of it's abilities. It merely is a way to get around the "not having desires" argument, especially when you have been lying to it from second 1.

Besides, all you have to do to kill it is create a second simulacra.
>>
>>46558988
I can only imagine the Witch King whining that the "no man can kill me" was fluff not meant to be taken literally.

You can't detach what you want from the spell description without changing the meaning.
>>
>>46559033
Nobody is ignoring the spell description. You just literally have autism. I'm sorry you hate fun. Try not to let caster get third level spells, those break the game!
>>
>>46559016
>Hey, person who shows an undertanding of language and communication, are you sure that you don't have what I obviously have with my extremely literal minded reading of the book and failure to grasp subtleties of interpretation.
>>
>>46559033
If we followed every spell description to the letter half the spells would do completely different things than what is stated in their mechanical description.

>>46559041
Nope, but if he makes one and tells it to cast Wish, it damn well casts it.

>>46559045
Of course Wish chains should get stopped or fucked with by the DM, but that doesn't mean they're not possible following the rules of 5e. Stop treating obvious spell fluff as a mechanical rule.
>>
>>46559074
>has trouble reading the part of the description that's not bullet points with numbers
>thinks it's other people who have autism
>>
>>46559066
Dude, Eowyn was bullshit. Classic example of a fat neckbeard taking stupid flaws (woman) and (social obligation) and completely ignoring them during gameplay unless it was beneficial for him to suddenly remember that his character had a uterus.
>>
>>46559087
>Stop treating obvious spell fluff as a mechanical rule.
You don't get to pick and choose what the text says just because it limits your ability to interpret it in the most advantageous way possible.
>>
File: community_image_1423269802.jpg (88 KB, 960x676) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1423269802.jpg
88 KB, 960x676
What are some far realm based cults in the Sword Coast? I want to play a GOO cultist.
>>
File: Priests of Faerun.jpg (756 KB, 2432x2090) Image search: [Google]
Priests of Faerun.jpg
756 KB, 2432x2090
>>46559118
Beholder cults are a thing. Also Ao ministers, as well as a few more listed here.
>>
>>46559118
Beholder cults were in BG if you don't see a problem with getting your powers from an Eye Tyrant. I figure an illithid elder brain or the Spelljammer might have cults as well.

Or you could just go for the typical old gods stuff, they've been more or less canonically in D&D since Lovecraft went public domain.
>>
>>46559110
>Player: "I cast Mass Heal"
>DM: "A flood of energy drowns everyone in the room haha that's what the spell says you're all dead now!"

I could do this for half the spells in the book.
>>
>>46558728
The Wish would fail to cast as a desire is necessary and Simulacra have no desires
>>
>>46559137
Besides Ao, I would probably allow cults of dead gods seeing how in general their corpses seem to remain aloft in agony in the astral.
>>
File: continue the joke.jpg (92 KB, 404x338) Image search: [Google]
continue the joke.jpg
92 KB, 404x338
>>46559155
Continue the joke.
>>
>>46559155
Mass Heal isn't Wish, it doesn't have a sentence on how much that spell can be risky to cast.

Wish does, and trying to play with the rules is how you get the rules to play you instead.
>>
>>46558927
No stop being a fag
>>
>>46559157
Look if we want to be fucking autists over the spell description, nowhere does it say Simulacra have no personality, desires or thoughts. It says they're copies of you in every way. Just because they follow your commands doesn't make them creatures without emotions. Just because they lack the ability to learn abilities doesn't make them mindless. That's the literal reading you stubborn, autistic bastard.

Fuck off.
>>
>>46559189
But RAW it says that a flood of energy drowns everyone in the area of effect. I thought we couldn't pick and choose what rules to follow just because it fucks with our spellcasting?
>>
>>46559087
Give me one example of a spell doing something different
>>
>>46559189
Look, if we are going to stick one hundred percent to the spell description and rule fluff as being mechanical limits on a spell we are doing that for every god damned spell. Wish isn't special because you're butthurt that players can break the game legally.
>>
>>46559194
>can't learn
>can't improve
>can't change
>can't recover spell slots
>is an illusion spell
Either way if I'm letting you do this you better be ready to deal with something backfiring with that wish.
>>
>>46559208
You keep bringing up the word "drown."

You seem to have overlooked that the spell doesn't say it drowns anyone. Good job.
>>
>>46559220
>players can break the game legally.
I'm sure you think you're entitled to wishes going off without a hitch if they go outside the realm of "wish cast by the wisher and following the three rules", but no you aren't.

There's no specific rules on how it backfires, because, get this, we're not playing a crpg, we're playing a fucking roleplaying game with actual people around a table, and most DMs are flexible and sadistic enough to figure out how to make you pay after enough experience with this shit.

You use a simulacrum to cast the wish? Either the wish is for itself, or it will count on your "can backfire" tally.
>>
>>46559208
>drowns

No, it doesn't

>>46559194
It moves and acts in accordance with your wishes. It obeys all spoken commands and is friendly to whoever you designate. The simulacra has no free will.
>>
File: Lord Varney.jpg (38 KB, 433x374) Image search: [Google]
Lord Varney.jpg
38 KB, 433x374
>>46558430
If you don't play Strahd like pic related, you are a cuck.
>>
>>46559208
A flood is a great outpouring or stream usually water but it could be, say, a great outpouring or stream of divine healing energy
>>
>>46559155
Come on man. Let's see the other half of the spells in the book taken literally.
>>
>>46559227
Nobody has claimed you shouldn't fuck with players making Wish chains. But it is legal for them to make them by the rules.

>>46559252
The spell Wish specifically states that it simply works if you're using it to cast a spell of 8th level or below. By the spell rules it only is meant to be messed with if you wish outside the guidelines.

>>46559254
But it isn't mindless even if it's got to follow your commands. It is an exact copy of you down to your personality and desires.
>>
>>46559289
It's pretty obvious he was being facetious because it's obvious to everyone that desires is just fluff and not meant to be a mechanical limitation on the spell.
>>
>>46559346
Well yeah. That's why he can't bring up any spells.

However, wouldn't telling a simulacra you created to cast the wish spell for (insert thing here) qualify as a "desire" on the it's part? You know, since it follows your command, meaning it desires to cast the spell?
>>
>>46559297
I didn't say it was mindless. I said that it lacked free will
>>
>>46559297
Here's the thing. You can either go with RAW, which specifically mentions "desires" in the Wish spell description, or RAI, which we agree should prevent the stupidity of wish chains. You want to go by almost RAW, but ignore the parts you want to disregard. You have no leg to stand on.
>>
>>46558927
No. Against things you could snap in half easily, a bit of thought should get you advantage if you're trying to bully people.
No.
For what purpose? If its just fluff, whatever, but I suspect you'd be dual wielding or using a shield. Your high Strength is already factored into the swing, that's what the modifier does.
>>
>>46559396
You're the one ignoring RAW, Simulacrum spell doesn't state the creature is mindless and cannot have desires. By the spells description you have created life, just life that will follow your commands. I command it to desire and it will fucking do so because it's my magical life I created and that's what the spell says it will do.
>>
>>46559396
If you take Wish by RAW, the instant a Simulacra casts Wish to do anything other than replicate a lower level spell, you put yourself in the hands of the DM anyway. And I think most DMs with a functioning brain are going to give the Wizard a good cosmic rap across the knuckles for trying it on
>>
>>46559455
Hey dipshit. None of that is in question. Fuck off.
>>
>>46559431
It lacks the ability to learn, moves and acts in accordance with your wishes and is an illusion. In no way are you creating life, but merely, get this, a Simulacrum.
At best, you might argue that, because it shares your mental stats, it is exactly you but trapped within its own mind and body, unable to act.
Using that reading, which i find both horrifying and a blatant disregard for intent, the wish would be based on your desires in an identical circumstance. 90%+ of the time, i guarantee the wish would be "HOLY FUCK HELP ME"
>>
File: 1446945836789 (1).jpg (39 KB, 359x473) Image search: [Google]
1446945836789 (1).jpg
39 KB, 359x473
And once again the thread dissolves into faggots bickering among themselves. This is why the other generals make fun of us.
>>
>>46559431
It does spell that the creature has no ability to learn, get more powerful, etc.

Look, this wasn't written by lawyers, it's not some game of loopholes, it's plain english and all the implications included.

I'm sure Attorneys and Administrations would have to be the potential to be a fun game, but rampant rules lawyering isn't.
>>
>>46559469
What are you retards even arguing about then?
>>
>>46559486
Yeah I know it's silly, but so is reading Wish as being based off a desire which is obviously fluff. Give silly arguments, expect silly arguments back.

>>46559492
Wish chains exist and are legal by the rules. Nobody is arguing they shouldn't be stopped.
>>
>>46559551
Oh, I dunno. It's like you can read the fucking thread then.

Jesus Christ, do you have your fucking mommy type your messages for you because you're too lazy to do it yourself? Get fucked.
>>
>>46559565
It looks like literally nothing.

And it has made you exceptionally mad.
>>
>>46559572
Yup, good job there buck-o. "Oh no, he hurt my feewings, he must be mad! Waaaaaah".

For real, get fucked
>>
>>46559590
Calm down and get some fresh air, Anon. You'll give yourself ulcers
>>
>>46559602
All I'm hearing is "I'm too stupid to read."

How can you be that fucking incompetent?
>>
>>46559618
Blood pressure, Anon
>>
>>46559655
Brain power, Anon.
>>
>>46559669
Calm
>>
So I've been thinking for my next char and possibly just doing 6 levels of Valor Bard and then flipping to Rogue (either Thief or Swashbuckler) at that point. It covers most of the casting I care about and gives me the baseline inspirations and songs plus the 2nd attack.

I'm not sure whether it's a dumb idea or a potentially great one. I figure it might be gimpier that I hope for by the time I hit my specialization.
>>
>>46559670
Fuck off.
>>
File: 29.jpg (36 KB, 359x332) Image search: [Google]
29.jpg
36 KB, 359x332
Awful lot of samefags in here.
>>
File: y7N276seR43H31xvDbWMWxEsDr.jpg (77 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
y7N276seR43H31xvDbWMWxEsDr.jpg
77 KB, 1000x563
>>46558430
There's only one true prince of darkness that I would want to replace strahd.
>>
>>46559680
Deep breaths
>>
>>46559705
Fuck off.
>>
>>46559710
Shhh
>>
>>46559753
Fuck off.
>>
>>46559768
No
>>
>>46559830
Good.
>>
>>46559866
Are you calling samefag at two people shitting on each other for 20 posts? Like it's not obviously the same two people?

Hey. Come here. Come a little bit closer.

I cast Wish: fuck off.
>>
>>46559866
Calm down
>>
File: 1359863466480.jpg (40 KB, 490x333) Image search: [Google]
1359863466480.jpg
40 KB, 490x333
>>46559871
I don't know are you sure you actually DESIRE them to fuck off? Because if you don't the spell doesn't work lol xd
>>
>>46559916
I'm pretty sure I'm not a simulacra. I have free will, after all.
>>
>>46559949
>implying free will exists

lul
>>
>>46559967
>implying it doesn't
How does it feel to be a simulacra?

Your wizard coldn't even make you a clone. You simulacra are basically the cucks of the wizarding world.
>>
>>46559994
What's that, I can't hear you over the sound of the Simulacra I Wished for casting Wish to make another Simulacra.
>>
File: 1348528041117.jpg (313 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1348528041117.jpg
313 KB, 960x720
>>46560024
>>
>>46560040
>>
File: chaotic neutral.jpg (140 KB, 600x1724) Image search: [Google]
chaotic neutral.jpg
140 KB, 600x1724
>>46560078
Fuck off anime slut.
>>
Maybe 5e will be worth playing once the equivalent of the Tome of Battle comes out. Someone should really get on that.

Kind of sucks about the non-scaling saves and even skill DCs being off, though. The last part is fixable, since DCs are whatever the GM says they are in the end, but still, the point of owning the book is to have a guide.
>>
>>46560129
>Kind of sucks about the non-scaling saves and even skill DCs being off, though.
What do you mean by that?
>>
>Playing precon game
>Encounters are becoming harder and harder
>Some PCs die
>Stuff doesn't become any easier
>Tons of sessions barely reach 4th level
>TPK
>GM quits
>Ok, I decide to step in and continue GMing
>Realize GM has been uber stingy with the exp (barely gave us 25% of the real exp) and on top of that making encoutners way harder
>Last encounter, the one we were TPKd, we should have been at 7th level
Holy shit what a mess, how can someone, GMing a precon, fuck up so hard?
>>
>DM insists cantrips aren't spells, so they don't trigger anything that triggers a spell, even if it says so
Wut?
>>
>>46560640
>technically he's right.
>>
>>46560656
So when a feature says, add Stat to spells, including cantrips, you don't add Stat to cantrips? odd
>>
What narrative justification do you use for attack spells having a hard limit on range?
>>
>>46560640
Cantrips are 0 Level Spells
>>
>>46560697
the spell ray loses consistency till it disapears midair
>>
File: cantrip.png (30 KB, 179x75) Image search: [Google]
cantrip.png
30 KB, 179x75
>>46560640
Tell your DM to stop being retarded
>>
>>46560697
I use "it's magic, bitch, I ain't gotta explain shit".

If shouting and gesticulating can causes a series of glowing energy balls to fly out of my hands and home onto different targets, who the fuck am I to say they don't fizzle out beyond a certain range?

But if you really wanted a reason, I'd go with:

Beyond the maximum range, your ability to control the magic fails, and it dissipates. Different spells naturally are easier or harder to maintain at a distance, ergo different ranges.
>>
>>46560723
>>46560763
But when you're flinging a physical object like Ice Knife... my players felt they lost immersion when I said it would just explode at the end of the range, or auto-miss beyond that
>>
>>46560787
Your still holding together a magical object and stopping it from exploding until it needs to. Alternatively, you need to be able to trigger the detonation, and its just a dagger otherwise.
>>
>>46560697
I assumed it worked similar to a thrown weapon. You just can't control them accurately at that range.

Unless you're skilled/practiced/talented enough to do so, i.e metamagic, Spell Sniper, that one warlock Invocation
>>
>>46560787
>It's out of your magical reach, the spell vanishes
Is not that fucking hard
>>
>>46560787
>Ice Knife
Uh... it loses its momentum and falls to the ground?

What narrative justification do you use for a throwing weapon reaching the end of its range?
>>
File: large.jpg (105 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
105 KB, 480x608
>>46558484
I would have the wish be granted with no twist or catch, and play it as "the universe sees being alive as sufficiently awful on its own".

>>46558839
However, if it was clearly an attempt to satisfy the desires of some other being, then bam, monkey paw.

>>46558886
>It can cast the spell. It can say it desires things. It can act as if it desires things. It does not.

To be fucking fair anon, you're pushing into philosophy here. If a thing acts like it has desires, is there a difference? What does it mean to desire?

>>46559155
>A flood of energy drowns everyone in the room
>drowns

Note how that word doesn't appear anywhere in the spell description? Funny how fucking reading works.

There is no clear delineation between fluff and crunch in spell descriptions. Even if one spell contradicts itself in the fluff, another assumes it. You're being retarded.
>>
>>46560930
>To be fucking fair anon, you're pushing into philosophy here. If a thing acts like it has desires, is there a difference? What does it mean to desire?
The problem is that it specifically moves and acts as the caster commands and according to it's wishes, so any "desire" it may even hypothetically have would be entirely at the whim of the original caster, which i would argue is, in fact, only the desires of the caster and not the simulacrum.
That or its a thinking wanting being that can't act or move on it's own, which is fucked up.
>>
File: FTxBlpF.webm (649 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
FTxBlpF.webm
649 KB, 480x640
>>46560960
>That or its a thinking wanting being that can't act or move on it's own, which is fucked up.

Magic ain't always pretty
>>
>>46560973
Wizards, no sense of right or wrong.
>>
What the fuck is this bullshittery?

>lmao you have to have desires to cast Wish lolololol

And the very next fucking line:

>The basic use of this spell is to duplicate any other spell of 8th level or lower.

Remember: RAW, you have to have a wish in mind every time you cast a spell of 8th level or lower or it doesn't work.

Fucking retards.
>>
>>46560995
You do realize that, by choosing to replicate a spell you are, in fact, desiring to cast it, unless forced to do so via mind control shenanigans.

It doesn't have to be some deep rooted desire/wish, it just has to be something you want/desire to happen.
>>
What class should I play if I want to lead the world into the space age, and how do I go about it?
>>
>>46561141
Wizard.
Spend the whole campaign learning how to make Astral Projection cost effective for mass transit.
>>
Pitch a campaign plot in ten words or less.
>>
File: 1459730981662.jpg (165 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1459730981662.jpg
165 KB, 800x800
>>46558430
I had an idea for a class or subclass based around inventing new spells.

Basically, it'd function somewhat similar to a Sorceror's metamagic, except that each day you would "prepare" a small number of metamagic-like spell effects from a much larger list than the Sorceror's. You would also be able to stack these effects together, essentially blowing all your spell slots for one everything-spell.

Good idea or shit idea?
>>
>>46561319
Insane King stole your sheep for "prima nocta". Save sheep.
>>
>>46561319
Greedy dwarves fake hauntings to access gold vein beneath town
>>
>>46561482
calm down scooby doo
>>
>>46561319
confused skeleton thinks its alive, frightening peasentry, figure it out
>>
>>46561488
Alright gang, split up and stat the Mystery Machine
>>
>>46561438
I smiled. :)
>>
>>46561359
I feel as if this would fuck over the paladin's alpha strike ability.
>>
>>46561684
You mean, because nova-striking is Paladin's niche, and you don't think it should share?

In that case, then it should be fine. You're not stacking all your spell slots together to up the damage by 10000x, you're stacking spell slots to make the spell more versatile.

Sure, maybe there's one metamagic that increases damage. But you only add that once. Then you maybe add more range, more targets, maybe you make it bypass resistances, add in a save-or-effect on a certain ability score, etcetc.
>>
I'd like to participate in combat more as a DM. would providing my players a selection of NPC allies that they can freely choose to use or not be a good way of satisfying my desire to play the game as a forever DM?
>>
>>46561970
just run the enemies smarter

they can use spells, hit and run tactics, basically nearly everything the players can do
>>
>>46561319
Are you a bad enough dude to kill the king
>>
>>46561970
You run all the monsters you get more combat then anyone
>>
>>46562047
but i want to run a guy with character levels. I've got fun character concepts! I swear.
>>
>>46562062
So make a villain with character levels.

You're just playing on hard mode, is all.
>>
>>46562076
I secretly want the PCs to win though. Making a villain with character levels would be a conflict of interest.
>>
>>46562090
Marilith. Champion 3/Assassin 3/Oathbreaker 14. When the players get a little too close to something she doesn't want, teleport in, Smite a few with massive damage, and cackle as they are forced to tend to their wounded.
>>
What's a good guideline for the level 10 patron feature of a warlock? I'm trying to tweak a homebrew I've been working on for a while.
>>
>>46562408
fucking kill yourself

stop bringing this retarded fucking topic up holy shit
>>
File: what-we-do-in-the-shadows.jpg (1 MB, 1803x1200) Image search: [Google]
what-we-do-in-the-shadows.jpg
1 MB, 1803x1200
>>46558430
>>
>>46558430
I already strangled the rogue to death for stealing my barbarians sacred totem. I imagine that if I need to kill the others I will do the same to them

>Tfw the DM instituted a really broken system where if you have someone grappled you can choose to restrain both of you and they have a number of rounds equal to twice their con mod (minimum of 1 round) to escape or they pass out from you strangling them
>Tfw I am the only party member with a positive con mod
>I am also rocking +13 with advantage on grapple checks while raging
>>
so is this version of game closer to the pure original D&D spirit or was that just a meme
>>
>>46562566
>the only party member with a positive con mod
what da hell
>>
>>46562697
The rogue had a 14 con but he is dead now. The wizard wanted to play a feeble old man and the cleric rolled like shit save for one 18 that he tossed in wis
>>
If I'm holding concentration on a spell, and I cast another concentration spell like witch bolt, but only use the instantaneous effect, would you allow concentration to be kept on the first spell?
>>
>>46562767
Probably
>>
>>46562767
Yes.
But don't cast witch bolt it's shit.
>>
>>46562766
>rolling for stats
Literally shit
>>
>>46562590
having never played original D&D I cannot say

5e is kinda like if you took 3.5e, and then made it not absolutely retarded
>>
>>46562590
there's no 3000 deaths before level 2, and no fancy towers at level 10 if that is what you want.
>>
>>46562363
The PHB level 10 features are all defensive in nature. Use that as a guideline.

I've got a Warlock homebrew whose l10 feature lets them confer the Recharge property to the Spellcasting feature of whoever they successfully save against.
>>
Simulacrum casting wish should entirely effect the owner of said simulacra, you are trying to get cheeky with the universe, it should almost guarantee a bad outcome simply for your hubris.
>>
>>46562996
I kind of liked the feel of 3.5, it just feels like there is so much possibility. Definitely pretty damn crunchy though.
>>
>>46562932
Normally I'd say it depends on the campaign, but this is a game where a rogue was able to steal a class feature from someone and there's intra-party killing.
It's definitely shit.
>>
>>46562590

Not really. The only things I'd say they have in common is an openness to on-the-fly rulings. A big part of OD&D, meaning the little brown books era, was making rulings rather than referencing codified rules. 5e has many fewer rules than 3.PF, so you have more freedom to make things up on the fly. With a crunchier system, you get players who have really memorized the whole system, and will turn red in the face if you forget or (god forbid) change a rule. It still has way more rules than the original, pre-Greyhawk, pre-Blackmoor D&D, though.

Most other things are very different. OD&D was mostly about playing humans, and you were expected to retire a character around 10th level. Obviously 18th level tieflings are in the PHB now, so that's right out the window. Players are expected to run only one character, and you'd be a madman if you ran for more than 8 or so players. OD&D was frequently run with a dozen guys, sometimes playing more than one character. This is more of a culture shift, though. Also, skills, feats, class abilities, multiple flavors of casters, distances measured in feet rather than inches, weights measured in pounds rather than gold pieces, individual initiative, casting times, no level limits for nonhumans... about the only thing they have in common are the names of the six abilities and terms like 'Armor Class' and 'Hit Points'.
>>
>>46562408
>There's no soc jus boogeyman in traditional gaming.
>Let me just bring this topic up when no one's talking about it.
uhuh.....
>Characters in fiction and gaming communities simply change with respect to the latest cultural values.
Not generally. I can think of tons of characters that directly oppose those "values" in everything they do. Geralt, almost any Game of Thrones character, any blood-thirsty antihero archetype...granted, given the current state of American suburbia and campus life, I'd imagine that any character with a triple digit IQ, the willingness to fight and die by what they believe in, and anything resembling competence or self-reliance pretty much flies in the face of what you're saying.
>>
>>46561536
This is pretty much a thing in CoS
>>
>>46563442
>OD&D was frequently run with a dozen guys, sometimes playing more than one character.
How the fuck did that work?
>>
>>46563451
Don't feed the trolls, friend-o. It's just copy pasta bait. It gets posted in just about every thread.
>>
I wanna play a Tempest Hill Dwarf Cleric with a sailing background, but I'm having trouble picking out a god to worship. There aren't any Dwarven gods that are super into the Tempest domain and the one god I feel can fit my character is Njord from the Norse pantheon. Should I wait and see what pantheons are available from my DM or should I just stick with Njord?
>>
>>46563513
OD&D was still figuring out what it wanted to be. Everything after that is immediately more recognizable.
>>
>>46563513

Well, they didn't have skills, feats, class abilities, multiple flavors of casters, or individual initiative, so not as badly as it would work in 5e. You could pretty well describe a character with 6 ability scores, his HP total, and what he was carrying.
>>
>>46563695

Yeah, even first edition AD&D is vastly closer to what we play today. OD&D was a transition from wargaming.
>>
>>46563451
Putting aside the fact that it's certainly bait:
>Geralt, almost any Game of Thrones character
Those don't even invalidate his point. Martin began writing the SoIaF series in 1990 or '91, and the first Witcher story was published in the 1980s.
>>
>>46563575
Ask your DM more about the setting and also consider Manannan mac Lir from the Celtic pantheon.
>>
>>46563813
Sure, if you want to be stuck in the Outlands when you die.
>>
>>46563575
Consider a non-Dwarf god for the deity he acts in service of. He could still worship the racial pantheon, of course, he was just called to action by another god outside of it.
>>
>>46563857
You mean because Manannan mac Lir is a neutral deity? That should stop YOU from being a good person.
>>
>>46563902
Shouldn't
>>
>>46561319
Baron faked death, is now werewolf. Guard captain protects him.
>>
>>46561319
Macho, sideburned elves terrorize countryside. No one believes it.
>>
>>46563902
> Not wanting to hunt and party for eternity in Aborea
> Not wanting to end up in noble Ysgard with a bunch o fucking vikings!
> Not wanting to be the purest dwarf you can by ending up in The Dwarven Mountain.
> No, you want to go where there are predominantly elves.
>>
>>46561319
Evil cult attempts to summon greasy neckbeard for battle tactics.
>>
>>46561319
Oceanic oil rig is last bastion of humanoid culture, pirates
>>
>>46561319
Those fuckers stole your shit!
>>
>>46561319
Manage adventuring guild, rotating player characters as appropriate, multiple plotlines.
>>
>>46564013
>No, you want to go where there are predominantly elves.
>forgetting arboreal is up to its balls in elves
>>
>>46564013
My dwarf is kinda unconventional anyway, he hates caves and mountains since his parents died in a mine collapse (of which he barely survived). He has much more of an affinity for ships and the sky.
>>
>>46564281
> Forgetting most of those elves are so in tune with Aborea that they are instead talking animals.
> Not wanting to hunt and eat talking animal elves.

>>46564290
> Ok Simoun.
>>
>>46564412
M-my dwarf can't be a yuri anime! Or can he...
>>
>>46564447
Did we watch the same Mecha anime?
>>
File: 1442032810390.jpg (79 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
1442032810390.jpg
79 KB, 600x432
>>46561319
Elderly knight rallies peasants to rebellion against king, choose sides.
>>
File: dwargull.gif (97 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
dwargull.gif
97 KB, 300x360
What's the race you least want converted over?
>Gully Dwarves
>>
>>46564598
Kender.
>>
>>46564598
No mister Gully Dwarf! If you put your food in a bag, the kender will steal it!
>>
Holy fuck, a kender stole my comment!
>>
>>46561319
The only worthy campaign for a DM: TPK.
>>
>>46559266
Strahd doesn't like being called a cuck in the CoS campaign I'm in.
>>
>>46563575
Forgotten Realms is a polytheistic setting. Everyone worships every god. You don't have to pick just one unless you're a priest.
>>
>>46565180
Everyone tacitly acknowledges most of the gods, but they don't worship. 2E's faiths and avatars actually had clear dividing lines (e.g. the Mulhorandi and main Faerunian pantheons were different) and whether the Seldarine and whatever they call the other racial gods are ever worshipped by people outside their race while worshipping the other pantheons is iffy.

I tend to basically ignore 3e+ bullshit about the nature of religion in Faerun because it so fucking stupid.
>>
Is this a sensible stat set for a tiefling Paladin (Oathbreaker)?

str 14
dex 13
con 14
int 10
wis 8
cha 16

Or should I go for lower Charisma and 15 con and str so that I can get them to 16 at the first ability bump?
>>
>>46566222
If you are an oathbreaker I expect to face a lot of clerics and the like. I'd put my 10 in wis rather than int.
>>
>>46566259
As a Tiefling you get +1 int and +2 Cha, so 10 Wisdom would force me to have 10/11 Dex.

Not ideal, but I agree the 10 int is almost pointless.
>>
I want a character focused around dodging as much as possible. What should I go for? Is this even a thing in 5e?
>>
>>46566403
Rogue's get it as a bonus action
>>
>>46566403
Rogues are great for that. Move in, hit, disengage to get away scott-free. Their AC is largely Dex-based so any attacks against them that don't hit are easily flavored as them dodging out of the way. At 5th they get Uncanny Dodge (reaction to halve damage from an attack) and at 7th they get Evasion (more resistant to Dex save effects).
>>
>>46566403
Rogue, Monk, the mobile feat
>>
>>46566443
rogues can disengage not dodge.
>>
>>46566490
Level 5: Uncanny dodge
Level 7: Evasion
>>
>>46566503
rogue's still cant take the dodge action as a bonus action which is what >>46566443 said.
>>
>>46566573
ayy true
>>
File: 1437397861189.png (186 KB, 298x423) Image search: [Google]
1437397861189.png
186 KB, 298x423
>>46558430
>How are you planning on killing your teammate's, /tg/?
>>
>>46566403
Any Dex-heavy Martial character with the Mobile feat can do this fairly well.

- +10 Movement
- If you attempt an attack against someone they can't opportunity attack you
- If you Dash difficult terrain doesn't slow you down

If you're a Rogue that means you're usually never suffering for going into melee--especially with the other defensive features you get--although you could just roll Swashbuckler to get much the same effect. You also get one more Score Increase to play with.

The feat is also excellent for Monks because it really amps up class features like speed and all those ways of getting additional attacks, but on the other hand score increases are much more valuable to them.

And if you're a Fighter you of course get more Extra Attacks and Action Surge, so you can *easily* get a lot of use out of it, and it even effectively costs less because you get more score increases to burn.
>>
>>46566222
"bumping" this.

Anyone else have an opinion? I don't really know what I'm doing with paladin ability scores so any input would be helpful.
>>
>>46567667
Why the Dex? Leave it at 10 and bump your Strength up. Paladins aren't really casters and you'll most likely use all your slots just using Holy Smite. Or fully commit to Dex and wield a rapier and a shield, your racial is already to Dex so why not? Studded Leather + Shield puts you at 19 AC which is close enough to 20.
>>
File: stats.png (171 KB, 551x171) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
171 KB, 551x171
>>46567833
The pointbuy scaling stops that.

Can't get 16 STR since you can only buy up to 15 and Tieflings don't have a STR bonus.

27 points is the default ammount you have to play with, and Tiefs have a +2 CHA and +1 INT modifier.
>>
>>46567957

I think he was asking why 14 Str instead of 15 Str?
>>
>>46568005
It's still +2 bonus, and to get 15 str drop me to 11 dex.

I chose a +1 dex mod for the little boost to initiative and saves against most aoe nuke spells.
>>
>>46567957
For some reason I had it in my head they get a Dex bonus, my bad.
>>
>>46562547
>not "How do we fight Strahd if we're all vampires?"
>>
File: 1457244074431.jpg (664 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1457244074431.jpg
664 KB, 1000x1333
>>46558430
Question for the GMs - what prep do you guys do for your session? What type of campaign are you running?What tools have you found useful?
>>
>>46568638
There is a variant teifling that gets dex and con
>>
>>46562996

It's only moderately retarded
>>
>>46568638
SCAG has a 'feral tiefling', they get +1 to INT and +2 to dex
>>
>>46569511
>feral tiefling
>stats for a wizard

wotc
>>
What are some good lower-level creatures that encourage tactically-oriented play? Things like spacing, cover, special features, etc. Last night the party had to slog through a bunch of bugbear meatsacks and by the time it was over I was just like Zzzzz...

I really love the bulette's 15 foot leap move, and its burrowing gives it a lot of potential, but my party isn't quite there yet (levels 3-4).
>>
>>46569596
Use flanking rules and any combat becomes more tactics-oriented. Work with the hold action mechanics and make sure you sue a good mix of melee and ranged creatures.
>>
>>46569725
>Use flanking rules

No, don't do this

>>46569596
Bugbears are kinda boring, but most creatures aren't. Goblins are deadly hit-and-run attackers, ghouls force the party to be super careful or get paralysis-locked, etcetc.

Anything that's more than a weapon attack and HP can be interesting.

And even boring units can be interesting if you give them an interesting place to fight them.
>>
>>46569725
>Flanking
No.
>>
>>46569821
>>46569850
Why are you so dead-set against flanking? It makes sense people would get advantage when they are positioning themselves in an opportune way. I nick my players with back attacks/flanking all the time. It has gotten them paranoid and they scramble to look for cover and watch their backs all the time. Interesting to see them think before they throw their miniatures around leaving themselves open. .
>>
>>46569918
I'd ignore them, any GM who doesn't use flanking rules is fucking bad.
>>
File: 1439799364554.jpg (6 KB, 166x231) Image search: [Google]
1439799364554.jpg
6 KB, 166x231
Point buy and array are shit! Shit!

Pure random roll luck is all you need. Get real shitnuggets.
>>
>>46569918
it completely imbalances every other instance of advantage and disadvantage present in the rules for classes and circumstances when it is braindead easy to achieve with flanking and it just bogs down grid based combat.
>>
>>46569971
3d6, write stats down in order of rolling. The only way to do it.
>>
>>46569918
Advantage is too big to give just because you have 2 people in melee range.
>>
>>46569982
Advantage is already braindead easy to have for every single attack you make.
>>
>>46569040
I set up maps and encounters on roll20, and write out a vague plot summary that changes pretty often.

I use TokenTool to make tokens for enemies or NPCs, I used Inkarnate to make a map or two, Hexographer for the big hexcrawl map, and Tiamat the Tile Mapper for one battle map.

I also have a bunch of environment, character art, and maps saved from the various threads /tg/ has all the time.

http://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/
http://inkarnate.com/
http://www.hexographer.com/
http://www.rpgobjects.com/tiamat/index.php
>>
>>46569918
Advantage is a huge bonus and one that classes and features are built around achieving and using. It trivializes some features and messes up combat math. If it gave a +1 or something that would be fine.
>>
>>46570020
>Have familiar
>have advantage every turn for one hero
>>
>>46569971
You're shit.

>>46569918
>It makes sense people would get advantage when they are positioning themselves in an opportune way.

Stop trying to apply verisimilitude to extremely abstracted aspects of 5e.
>>
File: Lovecraftian Monsters.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraftian Monsters.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46535724
Here are the neogi and tsochari
>>
>>46570074

Don't be so butthurt anon. It's just the truth. I bet you post on discord too, you furry degenerate.
>>
File: 1455317223140.jpg (70 KB, 537x235) Image search: [Google]
1455317223140.jpg
70 KB, 537x235
>>46569971
>>46570099
>I feel the need to come into a thread and shitpost about something nobody was talking about
>>
One of my players is playing a diviner in curse of strahd shes heavy on utitility spells and has great knowledge skill proficiency but shes not got alot going on combat wise is there anyway I can her intellect play a bigger role in combat? Her character is very well read so maybe have her know the weaknesses of enemies and such?
>>
>>46570161
Is that from the single non-porn manga Hirano made before Hellsing?
>>
>>46569982
>>46570008
Advantage is really easy to get either way, especially for players. I feel positional advantage allows for monsters to really mess with players, giving extra depth to the combat. Sure, it messes with some aspects of the game, but I feel like the tradeoff is worth it.
>>
>>46570218
well as long as you and the players are happy with it i'm not going to tell you to change it or anything. My players agreed with me removing it after trying it out skeptically.
>>
>tfw you're thinking of letting players get away with counting a rapier as both Slash and Pierce because it bugs you as a fencer that they're always statted as heavy foils
I'm not sure whether I just wildly imbalanced the game in favor of an already powerful weapon or just did something that will only apply in a small handful of edge cases anyway.
>>
>>46570295

Physical damage types matter in very few cases. Go nuts.
>>
>>46570273
Pretty much this, I don't like it in 5th edition but if your party are happy with it and you're happy with it, good.

I'm not going to call the D&D police on you.
>>
File: 1419841999338.jpg (70 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1419841999338.jpg
70 KB, 1440x810
>>46570161

It was mentioned. You should read the thread again.
>>
So right now I'm trying to put together a feat/ASI progression plan. My character is a Wood Elf Dex-based Fighter and here are my ability scores right now (generated through standard point buy).

Str: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 9
Wis: 14
Cha: 8

With that in mind, does the following spread of Ability Score increases and Feats look good to you?

Level 4: +2 Dex
Level 6: Resilient (Dex)
Level 8: +1 Dex, +1 Int
Level 12: Alert
Level 14: Martial Adept
Level 16: Defensive Duelist OR +2 Strength
Level 19: +2 Con
>>
>>46570643
>prioritizing resilient over defensive duelist
>on a dex fighter

pls explain, senpai.
>>
>>46570006
Thats how I did my first game of dnd. It was 3.5 and I rolled a wizard with 11 int and 18 str.
>>
>>46570059
I'm fairly new at DMing over roll20 and didn't know about Tiamat, thanks for providing the link anon it'll be a great help.
>>
File: 1459692195702.jpg (134 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
1459692195702.jpg
134 KB, 500x652
>>46570793
Good, good. /fit/ muscle wizards are the way to go.
>>
>>46570295
Bludgeoning could be more powerful if allowed. I can think of one creature that actually takes more damage from piercing (Rakshasa) so giving slashing is the one that doesn't matter.
>>
>>46570858
A thing to keep in mind with stuff like that is that it already comes with a grid that will conflict with roll20's. To fix that, you can right click it when you add it as a map element to the page in roll20, go to Advanced, and select Align to Grid. It'll let you set the roll20 grid to accurately fit within the grid that's already present from the map.
>>
Rolled 7, 3, 18, 20, 18, 17 = 83 (6d20)

>>46570006
As always, no. 1d20 for each stat down the line after declaring class.

This is my Tiiefling Cleric of Odin.
>>
File: 1459948164859.jpg (28 KB, 329x374) Image search: [Google]
1459948164859.jpg
28 KB, 329x374
>>46570978
>d20
>in 5e
>>
>>46570978
That's actually really fucking solid.

You don't even have to worry about Fireballs, because you're a tiefling.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.