[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: divination.png (605 KB, 540x751) Image search: [Google]
divination.png
605 KB, 540x751
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

What are some cool ways to go with a seer/divination wizard? I'm thinking about making one, pic related
>>
File: absolutelydisgusting.png (81 KB, 204x200) Image search: [Google]
absolutelydisgusting.png
81 KB, 204x200
>>46507258
>mfw accidental discord in the OP because of c+p
>>
>>46506991
They have small birds in the MM. Ravens, rats, scorpions, spiders, they all have creature entries in the MM. Any DM who wouldn't let you kill them for the ability is blatantly against RAW. Heck, for rats and ravens, you don't even need the MM. They have stat blocks in the PHB that indicate they are creatures. There is absolutely no reason why you can't kill a caged rat to activate the ability.

It's not OP, it's RAW, and it's flavorful. What more could a DM want?
>>
>DM turns my character into an innate spellcasting adult dragon with shapechange
>"Your breath weapon only recharges on a 6"
>"your fly speed is 10ft"
>"you don't get to prepare spells"
>"you need to roll a charisma check whenever you want to shapechange"

This is after months of shitting on me/my character including giving the entire group except for me a bonus feat.

Would you dump this GM?
WYDTGM?
>>
What's the ideal split for levels on a rogue/monk? Currently I'm rogue 3/monk 3 and started as a rogue
>>
>>46507387
It's flavorful? If you're going by it's RAW then he could literally just carry around a bag of cats and kill one whenever he needed the boost. It's stupid and abusive of RAI, I'd never allow it. Powergaming to the fucking max
>>
>>46507467
Ask him why or tell him you feel he's being too restrictive and ask him why. If the answer is he just doesn't like you then leave.
>>
>>46507467
Are you taking class levels, or are you just being a dragon?
>>
File: reptilian pat.png (194 KB, 301x313) Image search: [Google]
reptilian pat.png
194 KB, 301x313
>>46507290
We back in there
>>
>>46507529
Yeah, he can. How is that abusive? Let's look at the fluff:

>Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, your study of death allows you to extract vitality from another creature as it nears its demise.

The entire ability is based off of leaching the vitality from something you've killed. What isn't flavorful about the crazy death-monger who carries around a bag of creatures simply to kill them when he can't kill larger prey?

This honestly seems like you are projecting your personal distaste of the ability rather than respecting either the rules or the fluff.
>>
>>46507528
Monk 6/Rogue X.
>>
Most interesting beast master companions. Go.
>>
>>46507616
I currently have 7 class levels (6ranger/1rogue). It just happened in-game, so I don't know what the deal is supposed to be.

>>46507594
Yeah, this is after him telling me that because we dropped the dragon to 16hp during the fight during which the soul transfer or whatever occured, I would be permanently blind in one eye, permanently bum-legged, and suffer a permanent -2 AC.

I argued with him and kicked him the fuck out of my room (he's my housemate) after he refused to stop talking condescendingly to me and he later messaged me on skype saying that magical healing will fix all that shit.

I've confronted him on a bunch of unfair restrictions he's imposed on me that he hasn't imposed on the other players and he always plays innocent. Meanwhile, giving my gf who plays with us free magic shit, its a little damn obvious that its personal.
>>
What kind of aquatic creatures live in the Underdark?
>>
>>46507529
>i'm a monk that's gained power through the study of death.
>I can't study death by carrying around rats. That's not flavorful.
>>
>>46507868
Aquatic trolls, Chuuls and Merrow on top of my head
>>
>>46507882
Not the person you're responding to, but wouldn't it seem appropriate that the deaths would have significance? I mean, ants and insects die all the time without being noticed. There is a lot more gravity to killing a human(oid) than a helpless pet.
>>
>>46507718
This sort of thing is generally not intended. To borrow from 4e, it was specified that to gain such benefits the dying creature had to pose a reasonable challenge to the killer. I assume it doesn't specify this anywhere in 5e since it comes up so little.
>>
>>46507258
How does a Great Old One communicate with its warlock guys?

I was thinking having the player go into a dream-like state, where he gets a series of messages flashing extremely fast in his head, all while hearing a menacing voice echo in the depths of his psyche. He would wake up, ideally terrified, and would roll for insight, which would allow him to ascertain the purpose of his patrons message and would double as a roll for a temporary insanity..

I'm just concerned I am making it too direct, and not really in tone with the whole Eldritch theme
>>
>>46507844
I would ask him what kind of magical healing it would take. If it is something like Greater Restoration, be patient. An adult dragon is really powerful to put in the hands of a player, so he likely just over-reacted on how much nerfing it needed.

Let's be honest, giving you a level 7 PC the power of something that is supposed to be difficult for higher-leveled parties could be a tad OP.

Breath Weapon is fine. Effectively, he's trying to limit it to once per encounter, which is understandable.

Fly speed is weird, but you can make do. Considering many DMs outright ban the flying races, giving you an 80 ft fly speed could be a tad imbalanced.

Innate Spellcasting dragons don't prepare spells, they just know them. As a concession, I would ask if the rules for selecting the spells be based off the class levels of the party (so it seems more reasonable), but allow you to change out one of your spells each level.

The Shapechange thing is weird, but I think you can make do. I would ask him if it can be fine to revert back to dragon form (which should be easier than changing into a new form).
>>
>>46508001
You can start with not arbitrarily fucking over a player just because he chose a specific class.
>>
>>46508001
Make it more subtle.

I had a GOO Warlock In 4e and the DM occasionally gave me dreams which turned out to be twisted visions of the future. No real penalty associated with it, but you could never quite tell if killing something you saw in your dreams was helping out your patron in some way.
>>
>>46508086
This
>>
>>46508086
How exactly am I fucking him over?

>>46508151
I kinda need something a bit more immediate than that, but I'll keep it in mind! Thanks!
>>
>>46507962
The fluff of the ability has nothing to do with someone's significance, but with the vitality itself. For the sake of being reasonable, it seems to fit that only creatures which actually merit an entry in a statblock (i.e. give XP) should be available, so no ants or cockroaches.

>>46507993
You can assume all you like. Doesn't change the RAW, and it could well be argued that the intention is for the MLD to be able to profit from the death of anything. Otherwise, why wouldn't they have used the text from the Fiendlock (which required a hostile target)?

Ask in Sage Advice all you like, but neither RAW nor the obvious interpretation of RAI are with you there.
>>
New content book when? EE was the last good thing if you don't run pre-built modules.
>>
File: 1366851995992.jpg (16 KB, 300x411) Image search: [Google]
1366851995992.jpg
16 KB, 300x411
>>46507290
>mfw I was the one to readd it
>>
>>46508185
The obvious interpretation of RAI is. RAW isn't.

This is just bag of rats all over again. It has never been an intended effect.
>>
>>46508219
SCAG, actually. A few new cantrips, a few new subraces and variants, and several sub-classes.
>>
>>46508275
>obvious interpretation of RAI is
nah. fluff literally says they capture and kill creatures to record their demise
guess what capturing a box of rabbits is doing
>>
>>46508275
Are you the developer? No? Then how do you know what the intended effect is.

RAI to me is that the ability is supposed to leach off the actual vitality of a creature. That works regardless of whether its a dragon or a raven. In contrast, we have the Fiendlock who requires a hostile kill because it is intended to leach off the hate. Your RAI is no better than mine, but the RAW is on my side.
>>
>>46508283
That was alright mostly (though that barbarian armour path was wank) but I meant more of a entirely game content book, classes and shiet.
Also spells because I'm a filthy wizard player.
>>
>>46508183
>player, you are having weird visions
>roll to not go insane
Why?
>because warlock!

>player, roll Animal Handling
>failed? your animal companion rips your throat out while you're sleeping!
Why?
>because ranger!

Not to mention that the PHB explicitly states that GOO locks rarely have direct connections to their patron, the player will definitely feel fucked over if you randomly introduce save-or-be-fucked rolls just because of class choice.
>>
>>46507828
flumph because flumphs are awesome
>>
>>46508183
>How exactly am I fucking him over?
The temporary insanity might not be appreciated
>>
>>46508369
>>player, roll Animal Handling
>>failed? your animal companion rips your throat out while you're sleeping!
>Why?
>>because ranger!

fucking lol
>>
File: maskcultist.jpg (24 KB, 416x300) Image search: [Google]
maskcultist.jpg
24 KB, 416x300
itt: faggots who want to play a class based around ancient dark magics and forbidden pacts without any of the actual consequences or potential RP opportunities and want to have nothing bad happen to their character EVER
>mfw rollplayers
get the fuck out
>>
>>46508339
>>46508312
I'm basing this off of every intended effect from past editions.
Bag of Rats has always been ruled against.
>>
>>46508369
He never mentioned having to roll to not go insane. You're looking for reasons to bitch about him making a cool tie in to his Patron, something most DMs are too lazy to do.
>>
>>46508432
Consequences can be both positive and negative. There weren't any potential upsides mentioned just possible insanity.
>>
>>46508453
>He never mentioned having to roll to not go insane.

I quote:
>He would wake up, ideally terrified, and would roll for insight, which would allow him to ascertain the purpose of his patrons message and would double as a roll for a temporary insanity..
>and would double as a roll for a temporary insanity
>>
>>46508453
>would roll for insight, which would allow him to ascertain the purpose of his patrons message and would double as a roll for a temporary insanity..
> would double as a roll for a temporary insanity..
>temporary insanity..
>insanity..

>has anyone ever told you the definition of insanity?
>over
>and over
>again
>>
>>46508463
Receiving insight into new quest/loot hooks directly from an ancient deity isn't a positive? What the fuck? You're getting a data bootup straight from Cthulu himself.
>>
>>46508506
Yeah. I honestly interpreted that one the same level as the mention of being terrified, where it doesn't actually matter. If it's actually "lol now you're crazy" then it's a bit shitty, but I didn't read it as such, and his reaction to "fucking over" his player seems to agree.

Having any sort of tie-in to the patron is better than just ignoring it. It's a cool flavor thing for the Warlock, and even if it sometimes hampers, it's neat to have.
>>
>>46507774
Any particular reason to not take any monk levels past 6?
>>
>>46508450
Well then, it shouldn't be hard to get proof from Sage Advice. Meanwhile, you have no evidence, while the opposition does. Happy days.
>>
>>46508369
Rarely is different than never. He was running directly against his patron's goals (albeit unwittingly) so maybe it would make sense for him to suffer a kind of psychic drawback for it. The patron's way of slapping some sense into him

And I'm not having him go babbling inanely or start to see things, but maybe he starts getting uneasy when noticing certain shimmers in the air, the fabric of reality feels somewhat thinner. All from a fluff point of view, and to encourage roleplaying from his end - isn't that the purpose here?
>>
>>46508545
Because the level 7 ability for monks is redundant with that of Rogue 7 (both get Evasion).
>>
>>46508542
Totally. But I don't see why having a form of insanity (even a temporary one) would be worth implementing since the game itself doesn't suggest you do this. The exception would be if the game was intentionally grimdark and an insanity roll was implemented as a game wide rule. Just for the Warlock though? Lame.
>>
>>46508463
>>46508463
>receiving insight from a good isn't upside.
>mfw divination as a spell has no upside.

What kind of non minmaxing fag takes a spell like divination when it has no upside?
>>
>>46507528
Well, both of those classes are hit pretty hard in their progressions by multiclassing so really I'd recommend either full monk of full rogue. But if you're set on it, what >>46507774 said.
>>
>>46508519
Is it going to benefit the player more than just getting normal quests and hooks appropriate for his level would? If he gets some sweet magic items for little effort and ahead of the wealth per level curve especially ones only he can use that's another story.
>>
File: rats.png (17 KB, 533x207) Image search: [Google]
rats.png
17 KB, 533x207
>>46508450
4e DMG, as example.
>>
>>46508594
if the player is getting free divination spells i retract my statement.
>>
>>46508680
What does 4e have to do with 5e?
>>
>>46508721
Determining intent.
>>
>>46508714
It seems like he's getting free random question divination spells. But the point is, divination had exactly the type of up side that this has: insights into things that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get.
>>
>>46508768
Well if he actually gets usable information on level with what you can get out of stuff like divination i agree.
>>
>>46508741
Then there should exist a relevant passage in 5e. I'm sure we could find old ability interactions in 3.X that would give very different results in 5e. The reason? 3.X had its rules, 4e had its own rules, and 5e has yet another set.
>>
>>46508813
Carrying rats around to punch has always been willfully against RAI. If a DM is fine with it, more power, but otherwise its just someone weakly justifying a gamist approach.
>>
>>46508813
I've been staying out of this conversation but it seems obvious that this is something that is up to DM discretion. Perhaps they want to play it like >>46508680 or maybe they'll allow the bag of rats. As a DM i would rule that only creatures of CR 1/4th or greater would trigger it. Or something along those lines.
>>
>>46508858
Or its because they removed the abilities that were being abused in that way. The only abilities I can think of that really key off and give an advantage for this situation is this ability. Further, it makes complete sense with the flavor of this ability.
>>
>>46508592
I could see if the warlock got premonitions for the cost of having to roll sanity. That'd be a stronger argument if he could choose to do it. Like, beseech his patron before snuggling down for a nap or whatever.
>>
I wanna cum in a drow!
>>
Do you retain the benefit of your shield after being knocked to 0 HP?
>>
>>46508985
Yup
>>
>>46508985
you drop whatever you're holding when you fall unconscious.
>>
>>46508882
>as you go to sleep that night your bag of rats seems especially lively
>you wake up from a nightmare where your eyes were being eaten by rodents while you were still alive
>you feverishly search for your bag of rats but it is no where to be found
>you frantically turn over every piece of the campsite, looking for that small pouch of squeaking nightmares
>with sharp teeth and claws
>teeth that gnaw
>claws that scratch
>scratching
>gnawing
>you wake up, covered in cold sweat
>it was just a dream
>or was it?
Okay Dave, gimme an Insight roll to not go insane.
>>
>>46508985
I would say so. Unconscious says you drop whatever you're holding, but since it takes an action to don or doff the shield, I'm assuming there's a strap involved and you don't simple grip the shield when using it.
>>
>>46508985
As long you don't have to hold concentration for a spell, or the spell description says you lose it when going unconscious, the spell effects remain.
>>
I've decided my next character should be a Brawler with Create Bonfire as a cantrip so I can hold a niggas head in a fire until they're cooked.

What's the best way to do this? I'm thinking Barbarian with Mage Initiate for Create Bonfire.
>>
>>46509017
>the rats are hiding in a welded suit of armor holding a glaive
>>
>>46509042
Oh disragard what I said. I thought you meant the shield spell.
>>
>>46509017
>Dave fails his check
>Until removed by Greater Restoration, he can no longer discern the difference between Glaives and Halberds
>>
>>46509017
>>46509048
>>46509082
is there some joke im not getting here?
>>
>>46509102
Yup.
>>
>>46509102
The fact that House of Death has 4 suits of perfectly usable plate armour that are not welded, do not tarnish upon removal and are perfectly fitted to any medium creature is no laughing matter, my friend
>>
>>46509155
ive seen that meme being spouted around here but what's the deal with the rats and halberds?
>>
I'm trying to build an encounter where the party fights a circus that's a front for a necromancer to steal souls from people. What kind of animals/demons should the circus have?
>>
>>46509166
Halberd and Glaives have the exact same statistics. An autist used to post this observation in every thread with the implication that 5e was the worst game ever because of it.
>>
>>46509166
There was a while where every thread had at least 1 post about the fact that Glaives and Halberds are 100% identical statswise.
>>
>>46509166
>halberds
There was some shitposting about halberds and glaives being the exactly the same
>rats
See this thread
>>
>>46509203
>>46509215
huh i never noticed.
>>
>>46508001
I always liked the idea that the Great Old One patron never actually communicates with the warlock because they are unaware of the warlock using its powers.

But if communication was necessary, I'd say something similar to >>46508151
>>
>>46507258
Could someone explain the Mutliattack ability that Ranger Hunters get at 11th level? Is it usable every round?
>>
>>46509326
yes
>>
>>46509326
Yes it's at will.
The trade off is you can't use it with Extra Attack.
>>
Alright, I'm sure this is a stupid question that has been answered countless times on this ongoing thread. Let me make sure i got this right;
Warlocks have fewer spell slots, but they are all of a higher level, and they have more powerful cantrips (EB).
Correct?
*I actually typed and ctrl+c'd this on previous thread but it expired. Just conveniently relevent
>>
>>46509412
I'm missing something. How is that a trade off? What is the functional loss?
>>
>>46509460
Pretty much. Also, they get their spells back on short rests instead of long rests.
>>
>>46509460
And they recharge on a short rest rather than a long. 'Locks are the enlisted personnel of the casters, able to march for days with only grabbing an hour or two of rest at a time.
>>
>>46509495
Spacebo
>>
>>46509460
They also get more permenant buffs in the form of Invocations instead of spells to buff themselves, so they're more like the "blast everything and dont worry about spells" class.
>>
>>46509490
You can use Extra Attack to hit one guy twice.
If there are three targets, it's better on paper. Depending on how important it is to thin numbers quickly at that time.
>>
>>46509490
you use your whole action to make the whirlwind or volley attack not a single attack.
>>
>>46508453
> Icantfuckingread.png
>>
File: Elric of Melnibone.jpg (148 KB, 900x449) Image search: [Google]
Elric of Melnibone.jpg
148 KB, 900x449
How would you folks go about building a character of this guy in 5e? I'm thinking fighter/bladelock multiclass, but I want you folks' opinions.
>>
>>46507882
If I was the GM, I would argue that rats are alive and desecrate the dead
If I was the player, I would argue that while studying murder victims that had been tossed in a gutter, my monk found some baby rats and raised them.
>>
>>46509512
Pozaluista
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (9 KB, 294x54) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
9 KB, 294x54
>>46509613
>I'm going to shitpost about this reply that got clarified four posts later!
>>
>>46509032
A shield is only really effective when it's being used properly.
>>
>>46509624
Yeah, fighter bladelock, variant human with GWF
>>
>>46509675
The best
>>
>>46509663
True, but is the shield used in 5e one that you hold, or one that you strap to your forearm? Or one that you strap to your forearm and grip?

I guess it would depend on how you fluff it and if your DM allows your fluff for your shield. Otherwise, I would assume you're just holding on to the shield.
>>
>>46509660
> still mad
>>
>>46509581
Gotcha, see it now.
>>
>>46509711
I'd let them have it, since if someone is attacking your unconscious body (thereby has advantage) and manages to miss by at least 2 on both his rolls, that's gonna be some bizarre luck.
>>
File: traps.gif (143 KB, 495x397) Image search: [Google]
traps.gif
143 KB, 495x397
advice on making traps?
>>
>>46509778
Don't make them into a sadistic game of Mouse Trap like the pic.
>>
>>46509711
I would say that since shields are mechanically pieces of armor that you have to take an action to don, you do not count as holding them (as you would for items and weapons drawn as an interaction) for the purposes of dropping them when unconscious.
>>
>>46509778
They should be findable.

They should be avoidable or removable.

They should be proportionally severe as to the treasure/objectives they're guarding.

They should be plentiful.
>>
>>46509778
If people enter or leave the area they guard, then there should be methods of bypassing them that don't involve disarming or activating them.
>>
>>46509811
I don't actually understand what happened to the guy on the left.
>>
File: 1361604222018.png (223 KB, 647x908) Image search: [Google]
1361604222018.png
223 KB, 647x908
>>46509778
Add a rust monster to the bottom of the pit. Or three.
>>
>>46509928
I assume it's a grid of pianowire or similar sharp shit and he got pushed into it and cubed.
>>
>>46509928
It looks like he gets shoved through a mesh of razor wire or something and chopped into pieces by it
>>
>>46509961
I still laugh at that one "cursed" item that's literally just a bow with its string replaced with razor wire.
>>
>>46509985
>>46509995
I guess? It looks like there's doors on the bottom of the spike rack that open in fig. 3. Thought it had something to do with those.
>>
File: 1304213539951.png (82 KB, 931x809) Image search: [Google]
1304213539951.png
82 KB, 931x809
>>46510004
I got here too late to make a traps joke so these will have to do
>>
>>46509889
Wouldn't be very functional traps, then.
>>
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 251x201
So who runs the Warlock Patron job fair, and how are the different patrons represented?
>>
>>46507387
You kill thousands of bacteria just by breathing, if we do what you say you should be constantly activating that feature
>>
I want to homebrew an anti-mage.

What form should it take? Class? Archetype? Prestige class? Revamped Mage Slayer feat?
>>
>>46510113
You don't make a trap that can't be bypassed if you want to enter it or leave and not get stabbed in the face.

Unless you're like, batman.

That doesn't mean the bypass method isn't hard to find or very well-hidden, but if there's no way to deactivate or get around the traps, nobody is going to be doing shit with the area.
>>
>>46510147
what's wrong with the mage slayer feat as is?
>>
>>46510147
There's a homebrew Oath of Silence that I'm a big fan of. I think you can still find it in places besides the DMsG.
>>
>>46510111
speaking of losing body parts

what kind of healing magic would be sufficient for restoring severed/lost limbs/digits?
>>
>>46510157
>if there's no way to deactivate or get around the traps, nobody is going to be doing shit with the area.
You *had* said without disarming them.
>>
>>46510213
that's true
my bad
>>
>>46510187
Vanilla sorcerers already get the Subtle Spell metamagic, which does the same thing. You could multiclass Fighter/sorcerer, take the mageslayer feat, and use the subtle spell metamagic from sorcerer to cast without verbal components just fine. Also, Counterspell and Dispel magic are both on the Sorcerer spell list.
>>
>>46510235
Happens. We're in agreement. Good show, Anon.
>>
>>46509778
Make them retardedly deadly. Tomb of Horrors is a great source of ideas.
>>
>>46510256
Silence isn't.
>>
>>46510004
>>46510111

so someone picks up a bow that is already strung. they don't inspect string. a person who uses bows to fight, finds a bow made of material that isn't usually used to make bows, and doesn't do anything to see if it works upon finding it.

This is just something a DM would do to fuck someone over. You might as well have chairs at the nearest inn be SATANS CHAIRS, that have an invisible dildo on top that gives you aids DC 12 Constitution
>>
>>46510212

i'm pretty sure any healing works if you put the two parts together, otherwise you need a restoration spell. that's my guess based on healing mechanics for trolls and zombies and how it differs from restoration.
>>
>>46507828
Pterodactyl mount.
>>
>>46510309
On the other hand a razor string bow could make for a nasty melee weapon provided the wearer uses a pair of gauntlets when firing with it.
>>
>>46510212
Regeneration is specifically told to be capable of doing such, so I assume nothing short of that.
>>
File: Races of Ravenloft.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Races of Ravenloft.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Right, I think I'm just about done with this. Added in two races - wrought and revenant.

The revenant are just a variant on the UA subrace, with rules for all the races in this and also correcting a notable problem with the UA subrace - namely that there's no mention of the fact that a revenant PC should be undead. This probably makes them *strong*, but I have a sidebar explaining about that.

The other new race are the wrought. They're based on the UA warforged, but with three subraces - metal, flesh, and wood. Basically Frankenstein, with a variant rule for them eventually becoming human. I'm not certain about the subraces, though - I want each one to have a disadvantage and an advantage, each of which roughly balance, but I'm not sure I managed that.
>>
>>46509238
Yeah, it's pretty lame, but far from worst thing ever
>>
>>46510309
Yes, it's literally a meme item. It only gets posted because it makes people angry.
>>
>>46510384
>The other new race are the wrought. They're based on the UA warforged, but with three subraces - metal, flesh, and wood. Basically Frankenstein, with a variant rule for them eventually becoming human

Why did Pinocchio need to be a race?
>>
Lets say you have a Warlock with "levetate at will" and "alter self at will".

Would you let them grow a pair of wings with Alter Self and propel themselves through the air, so instead of Levitate it works as Flying equal to walking speed?

It seems fair enough to me since other party members can already fly anyways.
>>
File: 1304215149347.png (150 KB, 975x540) Image search: [Google]
1304215149347.png
150 KB, 975x540
>>46510309
>>
>>46510437
Because digging through graveyards for body the perfect schlong to sew to his macabre collection of body parts might creep out some mad mage a bit too much, and so he'll instead settle for carving one out of wood and using magic to make that work instead.

Although despite them being called "wood" wrought I actually think of them as being more like scarecrows.
>>
>>46510111
Doesn't even work with pinch draw, what is this shito.
>>
>>46509581
With three targets you could hypothetically Horde Breaker to shoot all three anyway, right?
>>
>>46510479
You can't actually use Alter Self to grow wings.

But how exactly is it that the rest of the party can fly at-will, but the Warlock can't?
>>
>>46510147
Monk Archetype, maybe.
>>
File: 1304215837187.png (230 KB, 960x599) Image search: [Google]
1304215837187.png
230 KB, 960x599
>>46510531
Yeah I don't think anyone would fall for it.
Especially if the thing is made of metal.
>>
>>46510537
Actually it seems you could hit 4, since its not on the Attack action, it's any weapon attack.
Or you could hit two targets twice, assuming one didn't die.

I guess its more useful if you don't take Horde Breaker, otherwise it seems pretty situational.
>>
>>46510664
>Once on each of your turns
Welp, nevermind
>>
>>46510480
>some stooge gets lucky
>that picture

fucking kekd
>>
How bad would it be to make a party of recurring scoundrelish characters?

I want them to serve as a foil to the party and help/hinder them throughout the story. Two of the characters I have planned for this have already been introduced (but using veteran and spy stats)
Should I just keep them like that?
>>
>>46510567
Not the entire rest of the party, 2 out of 5, but the Sorcerer has dragon wings and the Rouge has Winged Boots.
>>
>>46510309
The reason the item is funny is that obviously someone would notice that the wire is sharp when tugging on it before their fingers get completely cut off
>>
Probably a dumb question, but I looked in the combat section of the PHB and couldn't find a concrete answer:

do you get advantage on attacks you make on someone's back? is this strictly the DM's decision on a case by case basis? I was thinking of doing fighter stuff with evasive footwork.
>>
I want to play a character with a cool animal companion? What are the better options available to a beast master?
>>
>>46510747
Yes, NPCs don't need a full complement of class features.

Sounds like a solid idea if executed well.
>>
>>46510839
The info on this sort of thing is in the DMG and is left up to the DM's discretion.

Talk to your DM about it. If it's a good fit for the party and for the campaign, they might be willing to introduce it.
>>
>>46510294
Can be fixed with 3 levels of Cleric or Bard.
Personally, I'd just do without it, though, because counterspell and dispel magic can be used to achieve the same things as silence.
>>
When Orcus summons 500 hp worth of undead, what's the most powerful they can be? Right now I'm torn between 6 Acecerak-like demilichs (plus a few others) and 4Acecerak-like demilichs and a full lich with Gate prepared (plus a few others) to open a portal to Orcus's layer on the Abyss.
Thoughts?
>>
>>46510849
Be a Paladin and use Find Steed instead. It's better.
>>
>>46510793
> Homebrew a different warlock invocation.
> Allow Alter Self to provide a flying speed.
> Add Fly to the Warlock spell list.
> It's spelled Rogue.
>>
>>46510839
Generally, no.
There is an optional rule where facing is introduced, and other optional rules for flanking. In my opinion they don't mesh well with 5e.

Fighter can instead use Feint or Distracting Strike with a friend to simulate the effect (though from memory Feint has some major drawbacks). The Help Action in combat can also be used to grant advantage to someone by distracting/hindering an opponent
>>
>>46510899
Anon didn't say he wanted to multiclass, Anon. He was looking for homebrew guidance.
>>
>>46510839
It's in the DMG that you get advantage on attacks that are performed while flanking, so as long as someone is in front of your target, yes you have advantage
>>
Rolled 6 + 1 (1d20 + 1)

>>46510309
oh dear
>>
>>46510903
RAW its only limited by hp they can be whatever you want.
>>
>>46511004
Yeah I know, just looking for the best bang for my buck.
>>
>>46510961
I was responding to >>46510294, which was responding to>>46510256, which was my suggestion for how to create a character of such a type using mechanics that already exist within the game.
>>
>>46510903
Applying the warrior vampire and spellcaster vampire variants to vampires makes them significantly stronger but doesn't increase their hitpoints so if you do summon any vampires i suggest doing that.
>>
>>46511025
I've read the thread, but thanks for the synopsis. That said:
>using mechanics that already exist within the game
Is not what the original post asked for.
>>
>>46510903
a bunch of shadows work as great fodder with their low hp and strength drain ability which can kill weak characters like spellcasters in only a few hits and strong characters significantly faster than normal damage would allow.
>>
>>46509778

Don't just make them "roll Investigation every 5 minutes or take 2d10 damage". That's lame, and discourages your players from actually doing things. That style of play grinds your game to a halt.

Instead, put some hint of the trap into your description of the room. Let's take a basic 'room fills with water' trap, for example. What would you actually need to make that work? Well, there would have to be a tank of water above the room, so you'd describe a slow drip, drip, drip of water coming from the stones in the ceiling. It would probably be a little moldy in there, if not actually damp, so you'd describe that smell. The doors would need to either have a watertight seal, or else show signs of water damage and leakage. If it's activated by a panel in the floor, then you'd describe the uneven flagstone panels on the floor. All of this just stems logically from thinking about what the trap does. Of course, you want to blend those details in with other things, like frescoes on the walls or an inscription on a plaque somewhere, just so you aren't *completely* giving it away.

At this point, your players describe how they go about searching for the trap, and you decide if their actions would trigger the trap, help them find it, or help them disable it. Their Investigation rolls might help them or give them additional information, but you should let them succeed automatically if they decide to do something that would reasonably stop up the trap. For example, if they manage to find the water source without stepping on the trigger panel, and decide they'll plug it up with sovereign glue, then they should just succeed on that. Don't make them roll Dexterity or some bullshit like that.

Basically, don't run traps as "roll high or die". Give the players a chance to use their brains and actually be good at the game. High rolls might cover for player stupidity, but low rolls shouldn't supersede smart play.
>>
>>46510915
Yeah, I know that spell. It's kind of stupid that paladins get half the features of the Beast Master as a spell. But you can't get cool things with the find steed spell.
>>
>>46510970

Remember that flanking is a variant rule in 5e. Players shouldn't expect that every DM will run with it.
>>
>>46511210
I don't run that shit. Totally warps the combat dynamic and just makes it so nobody ever misses ever.
>>
>>46511297
But if PCs can flank, so can enemies. It's not just super-advantage all the time always; there are implications.

It means that the DM is on the hook for playing more of a crappy tactical wargame than before, but if they're okay with that and the PCs want it, why not?
>>
>>46507258
>What are some cool ways to go with a seer/divination wizard? I'm thinking about making one, pic related
I've had one player run a divination wizard as a recluse, driven partially mad by the constant glimpses into the future, which he attributed to senility until they started coming true.
>>
>>46511297

Whereas I'm sort of fine with that. The base game has people missing too often for my tastes. I want players to hit around ~80% of the time and get hit around ~70% of the time. I set up my combats so that players that don't find some way to get advantage nearly every round are going to have a very bad time.

I also wrote >>46511160 , so I'm very much into giving players challenges that go beyond just rolling dice well. They never fight in areas where flanking is easy to achieve, and they always fight in an area with a highly interactive environment. I try to set things up so that players who think quickly and work well together will succeed, and players who don't will die horrible nasty deaths in trap-laden dungeons filled with spoopy skeletons. Flanking helps me do that, because the players need to both try to achieve flanking within a complex combat environment, and try to keep their enemies from flanking them.
>>
>>46511421
not him but it just breaks the game. All the other ways of gaining advantage become a lot less valuable and combat becomes a shitty positioning clusterfuck.
>>
>>46511421
Effectively permanent advantage cheapens certain classes which revolve around gaining advantage like the Barbarian or Vengeance Paladin, and which revolve around gaining or granting attack bonuses, like the Bard or Devotion Paladin.

Similarly, save-based classes become comparatively weaker, while attack roll-based classes become far stronger, and crit-fishing becomes far easier.

It drastically changes the overall balance of the game.
>>
Just finished Phandelver with my group, but all the adventures in the modules appear to be for groups with different levels than ours: everybody's level 5 now, but most of these start at level 1. I've heard on here before about people segueing from this adventure into other modules before, so which modules are recommended for that? Should I adjust the difficulty somehow? Sorry, I'm kind of new to this.
>>
>>46507258
I just wrote up a diviner for one of my players for curse of strahd. Shes coming in a session behind everyone but her background is shes basically been enlisted to track down the wizard Mordenkaiden. Shes obsessed with mysteries and specialized in divination magic because of this. Also she believes Mordenkaiden is the only wizard capable of teaching her a spell she believes will answer her questions about the universe
>>
Anyone have any tips for a DM running OOTA and looking to make Orcus, the undead, and illithids a bigger part of it? Do older editions have data on mind flayer cities that I can use for inspiration?
>>
>>46511581
PotA can be started at 5 no problem, same for COS
>>
>>46507258
charlatan tarot reader that is actually capable of predicting the future
>>
>>46511421
Flanking rules originally would give you a minor advantage. The way advantage works in 5e is far, FAR stronger than catching someone flat-footed or getting +2 to an attack roll (plus potential other class/feat benefits)
>>
>>46511613
Which one is COS?
I think my version of the mega trove is a little outdated.
>>
>>46511676
Curse of Strahd

newest module
>>
>>46511653

Speaking of how strong advantage is, this site is cool:

http://andrewgelman.com/2014/07/12/dnd-5e-advantage-disadvantage-probability/

You can expect 7 for disadvantage, 11 on a normal roll, and 15 for advantage. So 11 plus or minus 4.
>>
>>46511676
Curse of Strahd, the latest iteration of Ravenloft.

Speaking of, has anyone else got the Tarokka Deck from GF9?
>>
>>46510212
>>46510339
Mending?
>>
>>46511742
>>46511756
Oh, duh. Acronyms are hard, yo.
So I'm thinking Princes of the Apocalypse looks pretty fuckin' rad, and it potentially fits right in with the backstory of one of the guys who rolled a new character. So you're saying starting a 1-15 level campaign with a bunch of level 5s isn't going to be an issue?
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>46511974
The 1-3 stuff is optional, and it'd sandbox so they could benefit from being a bit stronger
>>
File: FukkenSaved.png (2 KB, 210x161) Image search: [Google]
FukkenSaved.png
2 KB, 210x161
>>46512001
Absolutely based
>>
>>46512001
The one thing that irks me is that UA Modern Magic's options aren't on there. I'll try to add them myself.
>>
What's the best way to play a PHB only Alex Mercer/The Thing spooky shapeshifter?

Refluffing existing abilities is fine.
>>
>>46512199
Modern magic's gunlock is pretty insane
>>
>>46510903
Where is orcus statted?
>>
>>46512271
Warlock with the right Invocations is probably the closest. You could go 9 in Assassin for the infiltration expertise alongside it.
>>
>>46512365
in Out of the Abyss. The wand which gives him that ability is in the DMG.
>>
File: 1459299414425.jpg (84 KB, 900x717) Image search: [Google]
1459299414425.jpg
84 KB, 900x717
So my players want to use modern magic UA and the future weapon rules in the DMG to play as space marines sucked into strahds domain, and I'm of the inclination to let them.

What does teegee think of the idea?
>>
File: 5e d20 Modern.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e d20 Modern.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46512199
Huh? I had forgotten about those because there was a 2 articles about modern era stuff and it seemed like there was gonna be more and then nothing.
But you're right it should be added.
>>
>>46512537
They want to, and you're ok with it?
sure.
>>
What kind of minion would you let a Warlock of Orcus take, assuming it's about on par with an Imp?

Right now I'm just leaning to a skellington Imp.
>>
>>46512537
You're going to nuke the atmosphere.

As somebody who enjoys the Ravenloft atmosphere, immerse yourself in molten lead immediately.
>>
>>46512537
What races/classes?
>>
>>46512579
Thank you so much!
So you don't have to look it up, it's City domain cleric, warlock of the Ghost in the Machine, and technomancy wizard.
>>
>>46512383
9 in Asassin would be nice but IIRC the Alter Self Invocation is at 14.
>>
>>46512588
quasit that looks skeletal, zombified, or wraithlike.
>>
>>46512271
>>46512647
Perhaps warlock+SCAG's mastermind rogue? They can perfectly mimic anyone's speech after listening to it for 1 minute.
>>
>>46512647
Damn I was thinking of the faces one.
Bladelock probably fits best then, you can refluff your pact weapon as turning your arm into a blade or something, should fit Fiend or GOO quite nicely.

Charlatan background or some other way to get disguise tools.
>>
Does the Purity of Body feature of the monk only make you immune to being poisened, or also immune to poisen damage?
>>
>>46512744
Does it say you're immune to poison damage?
No?
Then you're not immune to poison damage.
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46512199
>>46512311
>>46512633
Added the modern magic UA material.
>>
>>46512813
I love you. This will be so useful when my players die and make new characters!
>>
>>46510372
I will play my dual-lance wielding Halfling Ranger pterodactyl-rider one day. One day. I don't care if it's mechanically shit and takes way too long to even work at all, I just want to be able to say I did it.
>>
What's so good about rituals? I'm thinking of going pact of the tome for my warlock (muh necronomicon)
>>
>>46512731
Shouldnt even need disguise tools because there's a Disguise Self at will invocation.
>>
With one of my players I'm thinking of trialing a Bardlock conversion.

Basically Warlock casting, with a slightly cut down version of the Bard spell list (keeps Bardic uniques), invocations are specific songs you know. I'm including the Bladesong as one of those because it's the closest approximation to shit like the 2E Blade (we've been dipping in 2E complete class books for variant class power ideas).

My only worry is that Bard with Warlock Casting and Invocations tacked on might either be too strong or too weak.
I'm not sure too weak is an issue considering the only Vancian-ish caster at our table is an Ancients Paladin and a Druid who will probably get the same Druidlock treatment once we're happy with the tweaks (or she might settle for a straight up Feylock with a variant spell list, and possibly a tweaked version of Vine Whip instead of Blast).

Tl;dr I'm trying to house rule the classes for a group that fell in love with warlock casting but wants more than just an all-warlock party and I'm all too happy to oblige, but am concerned about balance.
>>
>>46512883
Getting a vast array of utility spells without spell slots. Leomund's Tiny Hut can be a life saver, Detect Magic is great for sniffing out traps, Identify helps with cursed items, etc.

>>46512992
Disguise kit proficiency is useful because it doesn't require concentration.
>>
File: Lovecraft Update.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft Update.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46513039
Probably not what you're looking for, but here's a GOO-like bard (and a few other classes).

>>46513063
Disguise Self doesn't either, but Alter Self does.
>>
>>46512992
I'm pretty sure Disguise Self has issues with the uncanny valley in its spell description.
>>
File: Elemental Evil Trinkets.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Elemental Evil Trinkets.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46512813
Also made a couple of pdfs from articles that I really liked but didn't have a download option.
>>
>>46509778
This might interest you:
http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/03/its-trap.html#more
>>
>>46513124
>>
>>46509826
However your hand with the shield counts as occupied to cast a spell or get an item.
>>
Quick question. Halflings can move through the space of medium creatures, right? Is moving through the space of a medium creature considered difficult terrain for the Halfling?
>>
>>46513924
I believe so.
>>
File: 20160402_125511.jpg (2 MB, 2340x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160402_125511.jpg
2 MB, 2340x2988
So, I am currently GM'ing Death House for 2 people. They are about to fight the animated armor, and i really don't want them to die. How do I go about this, do I add other characters or do I just nerf the encounters? They are super new, like 2nd session ever new.
>>
>>46512881
>dual-lance wielding
this triggers me to no end
>>
>>46513087
This is my favorite homebrew to date and I hope to one day find a DM who will let me play a Circle of the Unspeakable druid.
>>
I like the Bad Reputation feature of sailor/pirate background but I don't want tied to a nautical background.

making a new one should be easy enough.

Outlaw or Mercenary? would mercenary be too similar to soldier?

>>46514058
what are their classes?
>>
>>46514131
What is a pregen high elf fighter, and the other is a human paladin.
>>
>>46514131
You just have to play up the differences between Soldiers and Mercenaries. Mercenaries are out for themselves, have a wider range of experience, and have a reputation among mercenary companies.

Soldiers are loyal to a noble, are more accustomed to rank-and-file, and have reputation among the military.
>>
>>46514131
Also, both are level 1
>>
>>46514145
You are encouraged to modify adventures for smaller parties
>>
>>46514145
>>46514185

no magic huh?

give the armor some rusted spots it

if they declare they are attacking it one of the spots

give them advantage on to hit rolls

depending on where they hit

leg spots? its speed is reduced
arms? disadvantage on attack rolls
chest? reduce its AC a bit

or just fudge its attack rolls when appropriate and lower its AC
>>
>>46512813
What are all these backgrounds that end in AL? Adventurer's Leadgue? Do they get their own unique backgrounds to choose from, or something?
>>
>>46514386
There are regional character options for Mulmaster and Hillsfar.
>>
>>46514386
>Adventurers Leauge PDFs for Backgrounds (AL)
(http://dndadventurersleague.org/downloads/)
It's almost like it is in the beginning of the document.
>>
>>46514386
extra crap for the setting IIRC
>>
>>46514058
What's wrong with killing the PCs?
>>
>>46512537
do it, man. let us know how it goes. just one rule: lazer guns don't do radiant damage.
>>
Guys what's a good name for an elven univeristy?
>>
>>46514813
[Name of Town/City/Land] University
>>
>>46514813
What kind of university?
>>
Rivendell Bible College
>>
File: 1404626090101 - Copy.gif (955 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1404626090101 - Copy.gif
955 KB, 360x360
Which warlock patron is the best and why is it the ghost in the machine?
>>
>>46514954
>>46514954
>Not picking the hag
>>
We are starting an evil campaign at level 10 soon and our DM will give us one or two magic items based on requests.

What kind of item should I request as a Long Death Monk? Monks in general have a hard time getting useful magic items.
>>
>>46514856

A non-magic one.
>>
>>46515105
The [Patron's last name] Institute
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.