[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What role does the Far Realm play in your campaign?
>>
Is psionics done yet
>>
>>46496314
never ever
>>
What diseases/curses can I send against a party with a cleric in it?
>>
>>46496541
the gay
super aids
ass cancer
taco bell shits
>>
Is it worth it as a rogue to take 4 levels of warlock to get Hex, GFB/BB, and the pact of the chain companion?
>>
>>46496541
A curse that makes spellcasting impossible within 5ft of them
>>
>>46496702
Why do you need 4 levels?
Also why don't be AT or pick magic initiate?
>>
>>46496829
The main reason is because I want the improved warlock familiar. Beyond that is the Devils Sight and Eldritch Sight invocations are really useful for a rogue. Fourth level gets me an extra cantrip and ASI.

Also I am playing a halfling and my first ASI will be spoken for by a different feat.
>>
>>46496893
Well, if you really want that ASI and warlock's familiar, then yes, I guess it's worth it
>>
I'm taking my level 1 archer into the end of death house tonight. I'm a bit concerned
>>
Hey,

I'm playing Lvl 2 Paladin, if I multi-class into a Warlock at Lvl 3, can I use Warlock slots to smite or vice versa?
>>
>>46496932
Yes.
>>
As an addition; is it worth multiclassing at Lvl 3?
>>
>>46496945
Depends on your class.
If your class has extra attack, not really, wait till you have extra attack or else you'll fall behind the rest of the group.
If your class is "full caster", don't worry, cantrips improve with character level, not class level.
If you really need the ASI, wait till you have it.

It depends on what you want and what you're playing.
>>
>>46496965
Well, I had the idea for a Paladin multiclass with Fiendlock, I know it doesnt usually work but it works with my character but I dunno if works mechanically
>>
>>46497079
>I know it doesnt usually work
Its like the most common choice of mc. They compliment each other very well.
>>
Hey guys, what's a good intro adventure? I've played a bit of rpgs already and have also GMed some short lived campaigns.
Now our groups wants to check out 5e and we want to try a premade adventure, to see how good they are.
>>
>>46496924
Your DM did not give you a level after completing the first half of the house? Anyways, you should generally be fine if you have a solid party, but you will be very fragile. Death House is a very lethal adventure. Especially the ending.
>>
>>46497158
Look into the LMoP. Its a great started adventure. Equal balance of RP and combat with enough of an open plot to allow for a solid sandbox feel. Also it ends at a relatively low level so it does not take as long to clear as other official campaign books.
>>
Tell me about the first quest of your campaign.

You know, that thing you did back at level one.
>>
>>46497356

Merchant's wife kidnapped, assumed bandits, surprise cult.
>>
>>46497356
From the player perspective, if that's alright.

We had to fight off a Kraken.
>>
>>46497356
The first quest of the most recent campaign we started was basically killing some bandits who kidnapped a rich nobleman. Was pretty fun. We killed their lookout party and broke into their treasure room before stumbling into some altar room where they had the nobleman tied up for some ritual. Then we had a big fight with the bandits and some cultist caster who was in charge of the bandits.
>>
>>46497419
I don't run "rich noblemen" in my campaigns any more, apparently my players are to fucking stupid to understand the concept of "Adventures are rich beyond comparison, PC's even more so" and just rob 'em because apparently anybody with more than 10gp is evil capitalist scum or something
>>
>>46497356
Had to clear a dungeon, where it proved we were ready to be heroes. (And show our DM we aren't shitbags who can handle playing off roll20)
>>
>>46497356
Stagecoach stops at a roadhouse for supplies, finds it empty save for goblins. Rescues roadhouse's owner and stolen supplies, finds out something vaguely terrible pushed the goblins out of the east. Continue on to their destination which is the east.
>>
>>46497356
Players were recruited to recover a porcelain doll that was a minor sacred relic. It had been "layed to rest" in an old temple to let the spirit inside rest. The temple became overran by a tribe of goblins so the church feared for the relic.

They also were able to turn in goblin ears for a bounty.
>>
>>46496924
There's a room with 4 sets of full plate armor.
It isn't cursed, shrinks to fit any medium creature, and can be removed from the room.
>>
>>46497356
>OotA
>trapped in suspended cage above inky black lake-pond
>manage to obtain an improvised throwing knife from a fellow prisoner
>two of the prisoners mock a fight to get the guards' attention
>they fire a sleep bolt at one of the fighting prisoners
>other prisoner begins pretending to choke unconscious body (they faked being dead)
>guards run in to save her (dead slave does no work)
>we bum rush the guards and hop into the lake, narrowly escaping the giant ooze monster at the bottom
>>
>>46497141
Yeah but it doesnt make much sense RP wise on most accounts
>>
>>46497686
>Noble paladin realizes his family got its power through pacts with devils, the price? The soul of the first born, aka you
>>
>>46497356
I had a short solo session to prep a new dm, i ended up fighting a some sort of rat man that i couldn't identify and where it came from.
>>
>>46497731
The other way around works too
>you find out the power you've been utilizing this entire time stems from an evil entity and set out to stop this curse from being passed on
>>
>>46497731
Now I wish I'd gone with that, I instead have gone with Paladin who believes the Fiend that he is following is an Angel Of Justice...
>>
>>46497356
I'm running two campaigns:
-Ominous relic stolen from an excavation, adventurers hired to track down the thief.
Given directions to the first town were it surely stopped to rest.
The ended up getting a goblin henchman, who later got a giant spider to ride. Creep duo saved them multiple times during the final bossfight.
-Town in the North slowly taken over by old god-loving cult, who murder and mutilate for fun.
Players directed there separately, for different reasons, by ambiguous notes and orders. All of them are suspicious of each other. Most of the party doesn't even know the class of some players. Hijinks all over the place.
>>
>>46497686
I am currently playing an OOtA paladin who is also a Fey pact warlock.

He is bound to the lord of the wild hunt when he unknowingly was caught in it. He uses the powers granted to him as a way to hunt the creatures that feed off of the innocent of the world.
>>
>>46497776
>>46497807
>>
>>46496310
Anyone else using the form fillable /tg/ sheet? Randomly while filling it out the font will change and I can't change it back. What gives? I'm using Foxit Reader to fill it in
>>
>>46497356
The party had to track down and clear cave of twig blights so they would stop stealing wood and attacking the inhabitants of a lumber camp that was on the way to thier destination
>>
>>46497931
I've used it and haven't had any problems. I'm using Adobe Reader.
>>
>>46497955
Well, can't figure out why it keeps fucking up. Shame, I rather like that sheet

Also. general question. Natural weapons are considered melee weapons correct?
>>
>>46498089
What is the context of these "natural weapons"?
>>
>>46498107
Alter Self, mainly. If you turned one hand into a claw, would it qualify for the Dueling style?
>>
>>46498133
No. Alter Self changes your unarmed strike, which isn't a melee weapon attack.
>>
>>46498169
Oh, kinda lame. Does that mean you can't Smite with a claw hand either?
>>
>>46498194
Correct. Unless your claw is classified as a melee weapon (as it is with monsters such as the Bear).
>>
>>46498194
>>46498133
>>46498169
I should clarify, I was slightly wrong here. Unarmed Strikes are still "melee weapon attacks", but they are not "melee weapons."
>>
Would a Vengeance paladin/Fiend warlock work as an Inquisitor?

Would be part of a shady zealot organization that binds devils and harvests their power to use it against the darkness of the world

Alternatively could just be a fiend pact warlock
>>
File: 1439157557862.jpg (28 KB, 329x374) Image search: [Google]
1439157557862.jpg
28 KB, 329x374
>>46498202
>>46498218
Cool, thanks for the clarification

Character concept is now heavily nerfed but it's okay
>>
Has anyone played the Adventurers league adventures in the Mega folder? Anyone knows if there is any good ones?
>>
>>46498229
If you had a good dm. The warlock is all about exchange: what do you give up or do in exchange for the power your patron provides?

Typically this relationship is initially one of subservience on the players part. Not dominance. But if you trust your DM to tell a good story with the roles reversed, then go for it.
>>
>>46496310
You know what role it plays if you've found the Yellow Sign.
>>
I'm having fun DMing for a college group but one player has autism, a whiny lispy voice and disgusting facial hair.

Getting harder and harder to tolerate
>>
>>46498286
It's not too much of a paradigm shift, instead of being a servant to a demon the character would be a servant of the inquisition, which has hordes of fiends chained up and harvested
Bonus points if the inquisition is part of the church of Zarus
>>
File: fencing-rapier-sword.jpg (24 KB, 400x238) Image search: [Google]
fencing-rapier-sword.jpg
24 KB, 400x238
Dumb question: Are finesse weapons considered their own weapon property? I don't any classes that have proficiency with them.
>>
File: 2016-04-06-09-38-09-1145084608.png (8 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-06-09-38-09-1145084608.png
8 KB, 218x231
>>46498426
>chained up and harvested
>>
File: OTHER GAME.gif (48 KB, 400x304) Image search: [Google]
OTHER GAME.gif
48 KB, 400x304
Is giving the Sun Soul Monk in my group a trio of Ancient Vampires to fight going too far?
>>
>LG Paladin
>CN Ranger
>CN Ranger
>LG Rogue

What sort of hijinks can I expect and how can I make more interesting wilderness travel?
>>
>>46498545
No class is specifically proficient with finesse weapons
>>
>>46498545
Not really, but theoretically there wouldn't be anything stopping a class or race having proficiency in all weapons with the finesse trait.
>>
>>46498568
Backstab the fuck out of those rangers, right now.
>>
>>46498547
Nobody knows what an "Ancient Vampire" entails nor what level and gear the Monk has
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95 KB, 1280x720
>>46498620

Memes Jack
>>
>>46496541
a curse that causes a mysterious evil creature to hunt the cursed character relentlessly. the creature appears (from behind some bushes, from around the corner of a buildling, from over the top of a hill, from the road behind, from within a cave, etc.) every 2d20 hours. each time it appears, the creature takes a new random shape -- roll 1d8 for its race, 1d6 for its clothing, 1d4 for its age, and 1d2 for its sex:
>1 dwarf, 2 elf, 3 halfling, 4 human, 5 dragonborn, 6 gnome, 7 half-elf, 8 half-orc
>1 common clothes, 2 fine clothes, 3 leather armor, 4 mail armor, 5 plate armor, 6 naked
>1 adolescent, 2 young adult, 3 middle-aged, 4 old
>1 male, 2 female
the creature has a blank facial expression, never utters a sound, and makes no attempt at stealth -- it simply walks towards the cursed character. if it gets within 30ft of them, they must make a DC 15 wisdom saving throw, or become frightened until it is more than 30ft away. if they succeed, they must repeat this saving throw at the end of their next turn.

if it reaches them, it makes a single unarmed attack with +5 to hit, dealing 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage and automatically grappling them with supernatural strength (DC 15 to escape). this grapple also occurs on attacks of opportunity, and automatically becomes a restrain if the creature starts its turn already grappling them.

the creature has 12 AC and 15 HP with +0 to all checks/saves. if killed, it will appear to stay dead, but in 1d20 hours it appears again in a new random form.

nobody but the cursed character can see the creature, and curing the curse causes it to pass on to the curer
>>
What is the best designed space for effective use of Guards and Wards? Assume 10 foot high ceilings.
>>
>>46498636
>spend your days haunted by a naked old female dwarf
>nobody can see it but you
>it always gets close to you and gives you the bad touch

I NEED AN ADULT
>>
>>46497356
The party was in a caravan of three wagons. Half of them were being sent into exile, the other half were going into wild lands as part of their back story. The wagon they were on got BTFOed by a manticore who flew low over the nearby woods and the guards of the caravan were systematically slaughtered by a swordsman who could command that manticore.

The party managed to bust out of the destroyed cage wagon, grabbed their belongings from the rear wagon, and fled into the woods, luckily making their way to the next town without being slaughtered.
>>
How well does the Monk of the Long death hold up, at least compared to other monk disciplines?

Its a good fit for a (I promise not really edgy) character I've been wanting to play for a bit but a the same time that character could use other schools and still kind of fit.
>>
I feel like Phantasmal Killer has Feylock/Goolock written all over it. Anybody see a balance problem with making that a Warlock spell for my group?
>>
>>46498698
Lots of rooms overloaded with tons of death traps that are connected to important thoroughfares as well as to each other. This takes advantage of the effect at every intersection that makes you think you've taken a different path from the one you've actually taken. Even if the death traps are clearly visible, you could walk right into them, and when you walk out of one room of death the odds are good you'll walk right into another room of death.
>>
>>46498863
It has some really flavorful, unique, and powerful features. It works fine, just be sure to not use your at-will fear when your party is near you.
>>
I just suddenly had the urge to make a Long Death Monk/Undying Warlock multiclass. Is this a bad idea?
>>
>>46498961
Yes, you'll be MAD as fuck
>>
>>46496932

you can but you should definitely wait until you get your oath features to multiclass.
>>
>>46498996

Most of my characters are MAD. I think I have a fetish...
>>
>>46499042
Yeah but you'll be 4-stat MAD
DEX, CON, WIS and CHA
That's a whole lotta stats
>>
>>46499060
Non-variant human and get a bunch of 14s?
>>
>>46499060
>Yeah but you'll be 4-stat MAD
But that's just the first level of MAD, because everyone but the wizard and sorcerer need 2 stats plus CON.
>>
>>46499124
Well if variant human was made for anything it was probably this

Godspeed you mad bastard
>>
>>46497356
So the party's at a tavern (whodathunk), mostly drinking themselves into a stupor or picking fights, when they are approached by a dwarf. He speaks of a city to the north that has been locked down due to a plague outbreak, and he's looking to peddle a cure to the people there spoilers, it's horse piss. Journey is pretty standard, save for the Fighter trying to trying to strangle/kidnap a farmer who lent us their house for a night. Reach the city, dwarf gets the guards to let him (and by extension us since we're still on his dime) despite warnings. We get inside, and the gate locks behind us (not surprising at all).

Long story short, it turns out that it's NOT a plague afflicting the city, but a bunch of fairies that have cursed the citizens, turning them into beastfolk thralls. Center of the city is surrounded by a barrier, which is immediately suspicious, with four points within the city practically hemorrhaging magical energy. Each point (Hospital, Academy, Prison, Brothel) has some hulking beast to defeat which in turn weakens the barrier a bit.

All four guards go down, barrier goes down, we rush into the center of the city where a Fae Lord is sitting pretty in his new seat of power. He offers us a choice- join him and be turned into beastfolk champions and gain powerful boons, or stand against him and die. two of our party decide to accept his offer and the other three don't. THEN the fae turns into a dragon (damn you DM), then the traitors get nuked within the first two turns of combat, leaving the remaining three to get burned to death by the dragon.

The whole thing ended with one of the remaining players pulling out an eldritch summoning tome (looted from the academy earlier in the session) and ripped open a giant portal with the last vestiges of life to summon an astral horror. At this point it's a TPK but the combat plays out to the end with the fae dragon getting pulped, and an eldritch monster being loosed on the world.
>>
File: Seer.png (676 KB, 750x1050) Image search: [Google]
Seer.png
676 KB, 750x1050
Who's got the new Adventurer's League modules? Don't see them in the mega.

Looking for The Executioner, The Marionette, and The Seer.
>>
>>46499142
Rogues only need dex (except for AT or Swashbuckler), fighters only need str or dex (except for EK).
>>
>>46499142
Warlock, Assassin and Fighter are pretty SAD
>>
>>46499182
1 through 5 are on the DMs Guild for $3 apiece. We have 1 and a playtest/convention version of 2. The rest will get added to the Mega when people share them.
>>
Is there a viable way to make Pact of Blade Warlock work without mutliclassing?
>>
>>46498922
I'm not sure how much you can get away with given the space limitations of Guards and Wards. With 10ft high ceilings you have 50 5ft squares of space to play with. Enough to fill corridors but not really rooms. Are any of the bonus effects worth messing around with? I figure it would be neat to have a safe room, and near the exit a suggestion to go back to the safe room, presumably getting them hurt further renavigating the maze.
>>
>>46499232
In a way that just relying on Eldritch Blast wouldn't just be the better choice, not really.
>>
>>46499274
You don't have to fill every single room, just at least one intersection that branches off to mostly death traps. And the suggestion goes on the far end of one of the usable paths to make them brave that deadly intersection as many times as possible. And the doors with illusions over them should be trap doors on the floor leading to death traps.
>>
Hey guys, I'm helping my DM out with his campaign and we're looking to pull stuff from the 4e books for info. I'm looking for a link to download said stuff. I know this is a 5e general, but it's here so I figured I'd asked. Thanks.
>>
>>46496310
It is a truly alien world full of Lovecraftian horrors. Psions can derive their power from the touch of this realm, but they don't have to, and warlocks can make pacts with it. Anyone who can cast Gate can get to it, but the tuning fork's frequency for plane shift is unknown.
>>
>>46498863
I really like the Long Death monk. Level 3 ability lets you crush ants for a temporary HP boost (I like to play it up as my MLD getting a little bit of a rush from being so near to death), level 6 gives you fantastic control for hordes, level 11 makes you even harder to kill than normal, and level 17 makes you one of the best assassins in the game. I feel like that last feature doesn't mesh as well with the other features, but I can't fault being able to kill someone by brushing them as we pass in the street.
>>
>>46499185
Strength fighter needs con for hit points, doesn't need dex for ac. Dex fighter needs con for hit points, doesn't need str for hitting fools. Two stats, not one.
>>
>>46499274
Some test mapping suggests you could create a small grid full of pit traps that fall to a lower "safe" area where the only safe route through is behind locked and illusory doors, culminating in a suggestion to get lost in the maze again. Frustrating to assail without dispel magic, but without the fog it might become trivial.
>>
>Guidance - You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.
>Once before the spell ends
So if a single target has Guidance from two different sources, can that target roll one or two d4?
>>
>>46499441
Spells never stack with themselves.
>>
Extra attacks don't stack right?
(When getting the trait from different classes)
>>
>>46499232
Yes but you need a couple of feats
You can go a few ways about it

Max damage: GWF and PAM
Can't touch this: Sentinel, moderately armored (use a whip, take repelling blast for extra lulz)
Rogue-lite: warcaster, TWF (use hex)

There are others but most require feats
>>
>>46499497
They explicitly do not stack. It's in the chapter on multiclassing.
>>
>>46499232
>>46499507
You're forgetting the option you should probably use: just being a ranged caster like normal and only using the pact weapon when cornered. Warlocks, bladesingers, and sometimes even valor bards and war clerics forget that they are still primarily casters, and while they can play at being fighters it will never compare to what their spells can do.
>>
>>46499232
Yeah, be a Warlock, choose the Archfey patron, take the Pact of the Blade, and be a tacticool motherfucker.

You'll want to be doing most of your work with Eldritch Blast anyway, because it's your better option. Dex and Con will be your secondary stats, obviously Cha is still primary. Take Agonising Blast and Armour of Shadows because duh, then Thirsting Blade at level 5. Fluff your Eldritch Blast as your pact weapon taking the form of a bow or crossbow or whatever and firing out bolts of magical force, because why not? Once you hit level 6 you have a charm/fear aura and a 60ft invisibility/teleport combo as a reaction from your patron, any melee weapon you need from the pact, and phantasmal force and hex for your spells. Battlefield control is the name of the game.

Can you make a Bladelock outdamage a Fighter or Paladin in melee? No, of course not. That's their thing.

Can you make a Bladelock a better pure caster than a Wizard or a Sorcerer? No, duh. That's their thing.

Your Bladelock is flexible. You can cast magic. You have a weapon that you can't be parted from, and it takes whatever form you need it to, which gives you excellent utility at the drop of a hat.

Remember, Bladelock isn't a primary melee class. You're mid-range. Preferably, you want to be slinging Eldritch Blasts at people. But unlike a Sorcerer, you can still hold your own when that orc charges 60ft in one round and tries to cave your face in with a battleaxe.

Now, will you be able to do this better with five levels in Battlemaster first? Yes you will. Action Surge, Second Wind, Manoeuvres, Heavy Armour proficiency, five levels of d10 HD, all these help immensely. For the melee part. But the melee is secondary for a Warlock. Taking Blade for your pact is a way to buff that secondary aspect, not a way to make it your primary. If you want a guy with a magic weapon smacking dudes in the face all day erry day, that's what Paladin, Eldritch Knight and (some kinds of) Cleric are for.
>>
>>46498636
Thanks for describing 'It follows' but that's a really weak monster.
>>
>>46499549
If you're just gonna use the pact weapon when someone gets close then you might as well just go book and take shocking grasp

Most people wanna take blade in order to be a gish, not just have a sword in their hand as they cast spells, just like chainlocks want to have cool servants that aren't just a slightly better familiar (which book can get too)

Now I'm not saying they should be as good as fighters but they should at least have internal balance and hold a candle to bladesingers
>>
I want my players to have a thief hireling since most of them suck at thief things, but I want him to be shit at combat

What could I replace sneak attack with that could help out the party? My best idea so far is healer's kit proficiency and the healer feat
>>
>>46499690
Or you could let your players find other solutions to their problems.
>>
>>46499583
I'm guessing that's irrelevant, the real hard part is that you can't get rid of it
>>
>>46499060
>>46499124
>>46498961
I tried a paladin/monk once, completely suicidal idea, I was shit on everything, an not even the third best in combat
>>
Radiant damage is almost never resisted, right?

Sun Soul Monk seems pretty strong.
>>
>>46499786

MAD fetishist here. I'm currently playing a Rogue(Arcane Trickster)/Cleric(Trickery Domain) character. Only level 2, but it should be fine.

In another game I'm running a Cleric(Arcane)/Fighter. Not MAD, but still.
>>
>>46499549
Tomelock does better the "gona melee when cornered"
>>
Best 3 cantrips for tomelock? I was thinking Shocking Grasp, Guidance and Spare the Dying (we lack a proper cleric)
>>
If I'm starting players out at level three or five at the start of a campaign, should I give them a small amount of starting gold since the the assumption would be that they'd certainly have gone on adventures to get to that level in the first place? If so, what's a reasonable amount to give them?
>>
>>46499835
If you don't already have it, swap Shocking Grasp with Minor Illusion. Friends is also very good.
>>
>>46496314
it might not show up in published form until we get the first Eberron player's companion.
>>
>>46499821
Pretty much, use shocking grasp with help from familiar and just walk away

Or help from familiar to counteract disadvantage and repelling blast away
>>
>>46499835

Take thorn whip and repulsing blast evocation. Push and pull at will.
>>
Are Rangers really that bad in 5e?
>>
>>46500035

The first two levels are God awful. After that, not so much.
>>
>>46500035
>>46500047
Pretty much this, once you reach level 3 it's average

Don't listen to people that say beastmaster sucks, it really doesn't
>>
>>46499878
Or Dark Sun. Psionics are probably more important to that setting, I think.
>>
>>46500091

I've yet to play a Beastmaster (I probably will in the future), but in an effort to understand why it's considered so bad, I decided to take the calculations for CR and apply it to various beasts that the BM can get. What I found was that simply taking a companion at level 3 creates a fairly potent creature. It is true that the best does not scale very well, but the math says that they're up there in the CR. Of course, CR is not definitive of anything, but I can understand why Wizards did what they did with the BM now.

Really, all the BM needs is two things: A way to upgrade your companion at later levels to a CR 1/2 or even 1 companion, and death saving throws for your companion. Even the first part is just my personal preference, really just having the beast get death saves is all is absolutely needs and nothing more.
>>
>>46500156
Hey, that's a good idea.

Thanks anon, beast death saves just became a houserule in my campaign.
>>
File: always bet on duke.jpg (339 KB, 800x4600) Image search: [Google]
always bet on duke.jpg
339 KB, 800x4600
How is the Swashbuckler?
I wanted to play a Elf Pirate, later which i thought could be inspired by the late Duke Sliscus In public he acts like Jack Sparrow to throw people off
>>
>>46500035
Ranger's not that bad. It suffers from the first two levels being the wrong way around. Get Spellcasting and Fighting Style at level 1 (maybe 1 level 1 slot, to keep the progression?), then the fluff bonuses (Favoured Enemy/Terrain, Natural Explorer) at level 2, and it's basically fixed.

Beastmaster is suboptimal, but not terribly so. It's pretty poor until you hit level 5 and get Extra Attack just due to the action economy, but after that it's okay. It does require a reasonably tactically-minded player though.

It's not the best class, but it's not unplayable like people make out. But if you play it like an archer-fighter, you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>46500363
Swash is alright. Pump Cha after Dex.
>>
>>46499624
>>46499821
>>46499916
Tomelock also does better the "try to be an exclusively melee character." Tomelock does everything better. Bladelock is pointless.
>>
>>46500156
I houserule it as the ranger being able to take up to CR1/2 at lv 10 and cr 1 at 15

I also use the "fighting spirit" variant rule from theangrygm and the beast gets that too
>>
>>46500494
That's where you're wrong though, shellilagh does not a melee character make
>>
File: 15875kx.jpg (23 KB, 267x549) Image search: [Google]
15875kx.jpg
23 KB, 267x549
I have been thinking of adding some various magical items into my campaign, though I'm not so sure if they are well enough balanced.

Do you think a drug like item that refreshes 1 sorcery point for sorcerers would be considered too overpowered? I wanted the drawbacks of using it that you could become addicted, by rolling a d20 + con. I've never really worked with addictions in an rpg before so i'm not sure what implications might come if you were addicted. Maybe exhaustion or disadvantage to charisma?

Thoughts? May post more ideas on magical items later.
>>
>>46500458
Whether it comes first or second, the level where you get nothing but Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer is a dead level. Those abilities do exactly nothing, because they make you better at things that the DM will almost certainly skip over anyway.
>>
>>46500570
Shillelagh and one of the new weapon attack cantrips. Those are all you need. You never need an extra attack because the cantrips can make up the difference in damage.

Granted, neither a tomelock nor a bladelock can ever be as good in melee as a class that's actually made for it, but that's a problem you're going to run into with any gish.
>>
>>46496310
This month's UA sucks. The Monster Slayer is just a worse version of the battlemaster with more restricted abilities and two 1rst level spells you could get any number of easy ways if you really had to have them.
My eyes glazed over the Rogue archetype because it doesn't have big massive damage numbers so it's shit.
>>
>>46500588
Just give the sorcerer a Pearl of Power. He can convert that restored spell slot to sorcery points if he wants to.
>>
File: add-i3.jpg (188 KB, 717x917) Image search: [Google]
add-i3.jpg
188 KB, 717x917
>>46500630

Those have been very useful abilities at my table. We're running Desert of Desolation; the ranger has desert as her favorite terrain and undead as her favored enemy. It's pretty handy not getting lost in the desert, finding food and water, and being able to track and know all about mummies, ghouls, and other nasty things that live in pyramids.
>>
>>46500477
Sweet
>>
Accurate?
>>
File: tumblr_n5llegtfOo1ruuqtvo1_500.png (43 KB, 480x460) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5llegtfOo1ruuqtvo1_500.png
43 KB, 480x460
>>46500809
>forgot image
>>
>>46500756

Yeah, but that's not fun. >>46500588 's idea is fun.

I'd be careful about handing out exhaustion too easily. It's pretty nasty and hard to get rid of. Instead, how about an addiction track? Each time he uses it, he becomes more dependent on it. First time he uses it, he has no negative side effects. But the second time, he has disadvantage on charisma checks for 24 hours after it wears off—unless he uses another one. Then it goes up to 48 hours, then a week, etc.
>>
>>46500823
>Being true neutral scum
>>
>>46500841
I would say mix up the disadvantages rather than just extending a disadvantage on one stat. Start with Cha, then go Wis, then Dex and Str at the same time and finally Con so that you'll keep being addicted after that. Soon they'll be getting shitty rolls all over the place and will want to kick the habit but get frustrated since they can't make the Con save.
>>
>>46500885
Wis and Int at the same time*
>>
>>46500841
>>46500588
The problem with addiction in D&D is there's probably a way to remove it (Greater Restoration, or maybe Remove Curse for magical addictions.) And once the party has a way to remove it, they can just remove it over and over again. So you can't count on that as a balancing factor for something that provides them a benefit.

A potion that restores like 1d6 sorcery points is probably just fine, especially if it's not commonly available for sale and you're careful not to hand out the formula required to create it.
>>
>>46500823
>LN
>Snooze
pick 1

Considering "Evil = negative = bad" meme, it's pretty shit
>>
>>46500823
>Lawful Evil
I'll take it over CN or TN anytime.
>>
Is there anything that gives benefit to using one one-handed weapon and no shield?
>>
>>46501043
Grappling
>>
Do people really hate Neutral that much?

I mean, it's better that Chaotic anything surely?
>>
>>46501089
CG > NG > LG > LN > TN > CN > LE > NE > CE

I say this as a DM.
>>
>>46501107
>That list
What utter shit taste

Well played Evil > Well Played Good > Well played Neutral
LE = NE > LG > LN > TN = CN > CE > CG > NG
>>
File: nice meme.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>46501107

>Chaotic Good top
>>
>>46500774
What's likely happening is that your party's ranger keeps volunteering to make dice rolls that would not have been called for without her. Most DMs are not keen on letting the party die anticlimactically of hunger or exposure in the wild, and they often pretty much skip over any overland travel. So the risk won't even come up UNLESS a player asks to roll dice for it. And no matter how good that player's relevant numbers are, that's adding a chance of failure to something where there was no chance of failure before. Rangers also have a tendency to follow tracks that were never meant to be followed and derail the adventure. So in a roundabout way, a party in the wilderness is better off without a ranger than with one.
>>
>>46501170
>wanting evil characters in a cooperative gaming environment

no
>>
File: 1zW7esy.png (429 KB, 1677x764) Image search: [Google]
1zW7esy.png
429 KB, 1677x764
>>46501170
I adore lawful evil. You're like the Rick Grimes of PCs. You can make like a bandit group and give out harsh punishments where you see fit.
>>
>>46501242
Playing punchclock villains is pretty fun so long as everyone's on board, or even just most everyone. The only time it sucks having someone be LE or CE is when everyone else is lawful good and you spend half the time trying to wrangle the outlier in line. If everyone plays it evil then an evil party would be pretty fun.
>>
>>46501107
Yes, I agree.

>>46501252
Grimes isn't evil. That'd be like the governor or some shit.
>>
File: basedmanlet.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
basedmanlet.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>>46501242
>Evil can't be a team player
Hilarious

Since a lot of my PCs are Evil lemme give you the 101
>PC helps team because they further his goals
>If PC wants to become a BBEG, at least he'll have the good rep to throw people off this scent
>"I wasn't myself" excuse should things go south
>No restrictions such as "muh morals, muh gods"
You aren't Evil unless you fail in your goals or get caught
>>
File: sonic.png (309 KB, 549x455) Image search: [Google]
sonic.png
309 KB, 549x455
>>46501321
>>
>>46500752
>it doesn't have big massive damage numbers so it's shit
Hyuck hyuck.
>>
>>46501242
Evil can co-operate. Its just moral judgement. They aren't fucking shooting spiders from their mouth.

>Be chaotic good
>want to destroy some celtic order because "muh freedom"
>New traveler helps rally the resistance and take down the order.
>People are free, all the citizens praise the heroes
>problems arise with looting and vandalism in city
>new traveler persuades that he could help train citizens to help reinforce the city
>tfw new traveler gets guards to run raids on nearby villages to gain resources
>resources gains power
>power gains troops and weapons
>tfw when chaotic good player realizes he elected a lawful evil players as king.
>tfw when order is made again, but much larger.
>>
>>46498406

>getting triggered by whiskers

Sounds like there's more than one autist at the table, DESU
>>
>>46501442
ayy lmao
>>
>>46500091
Beast master sucks, I'm 6th level and already had 10 different companions, it's not the first time one dies in one shot either, also I don't deal much damage but the moment a monster with resistance appears my damage drops to non existent unless I'm the only one attacking
>>
>>46498406
>disgusting facial hair

People who don't groom themselves disgust me. I bet his nails are long and unkempt. Acne, greasy hair?
>>
Honestly, I almost always play good or neutral, but I think Lawful Evil is probably the most interesting alignment, when played well.

Evil doesn't necessarily mean you'll backstab everyone at the first chance, become the Giga Lich to fuse with the Tarrasque and bring about the end of the multiverse and the return of the old gods.

Nor does it mean you're going to torture everyone to death and bring about a new reign of despair lasting 10,000 years.

You can just be a self important dick.
>>
>>46500570
Shilellagh + GFB/BB
>>
>>46501533

>complaining about hygiene on cuckchan

Bad news, anon...
>>
My group's starting a succession campaign this week where each of us take turns being DM in a permadungeon environment. I have to get things going for the group this weekend in the first session.

I'm really not sure I know how to make an entire session persist in the confines a dungeon. Usually my games have a lot of branching side quest shit to do in addition to dungeon crawls, so really making this big dungeon interesting will be a challenge for me.

What should I make the group do other than
>go to this room
>kill stuff
>go to next room
>kill stuff
>>
>>46501503
Ayy, 6ranger(BM)/1rogue here. I fucking hate the companion shit. I finagled my way into converting my BM levels into Ambuscade Ranger levels so I'm in the clear. Just have to homebrew the rest of the levels.

If your DM won't tweak the beast companion rules for you, take a Giant Wolf Spider. Shit's handy.

Web sense; whenever your party rests, have the spider set up a concentric web network around your camp. If anything steps on the web, the spider wakes up and can wake you up.

+7 stealth bonus; You add your proficiency to the spiders ability checks, so (s)he gets a +10 to stealth at your current level. Take Pass Without Trace as a prepared spell and it gets +20 to stealth checks. Hope you're ready to fuck shit up.

Are you a halfling or a gnome? This is a medium creature; have fun riding it and using its stealth bonus to get anywhere you want.

Did I mention it has a climb speed (of 40 feet). If you can mount it, get a custom saddle made that secures you in place in any orientation, shit nigger, are you convinced yet?

Anyway, yeah. Fuck beastmaster. Just throw some piss-soaked rags at everyone you meet, maybe you'll get killed and you can roll up a rogue.
>>
So how do you guys deal with the whole music thing?

I'm new to the whole DMing gig, and I'm trying to find a way to play music for the players that's suitable for the situation. Last several sessions I've just had random witcher 3 and Lord of the Rings music playing super lightly, as any other duties other than basic DM stuff would really overwhelm me (ie. changing music for fights and exploration, etc.). Though ideally that's what I want to be able to do.

>>46501627
The Starter Set I'm playing with right now has a large dungeon at the end with talking monsters that ask for things. Sounds somewhat similar to sidequests, if the players don't simply rush in and attack them at any rate.

Also you can have various gadgets and magic shit set up. Have the players explore to find the key to some magical chest or mechanism.
>>
>>46501655
But then I have a giant goddamned spider following me everywhere.
>>
>>46501681
Make it follow you stealthily. If your DM isn't a cunt like mine, he'll let it just passively skulk without having to make checks. It's not like spiders generate noise with their footsteps. It's not like they're flashing neon rainbow coloured.
>>
>>46501655
So you have a spider that pretty much it's only alarm spell and spiderwalking spell? nice, I only had to lose my entire archetype for that.

Then again, the moment an enemy looks funny at my companion it dies, it happned and continues happening dispise my GM saying "it's was just one time", no, it's been 10 times so far, some of them insta kill on the first hit, and then, for the entire day I have nothing.
>>
>>46497356
>Party were mooks and apprentices in a small mountain town.

>Goblin invasion

>They managed to beat it with lucky rolls left and right earning them folk-hero status and money/magic items from the local lord and merchants.

>Sent out to investigate why goblins appeared in the area.

>ANCIENT GREEN DRAGON INCOMING

>Evacuation project start !

>They were smart enough to not make a move against the dragon and instead sent word to the kingdom and evacuated the civilians.

>Cue to them being sneaky cunts after letting everyone escape and ''heroically'' staying behind to ''protect the town'' (loot the town and make it look like goblins were to blame).

>Still ignoring Dragon plot hook.

>Leave Messages in town about the ''goblin raid'' from which they had to retreat and leave through the mountains.

>Skipped country and selling of their loot at a black market making their money soar up to 1k gold each.

>Start merchant guild and a colonist endeavor.

>We Magi-tech Swashbuckling Colonist nao.

And this is how my players derailed the plot i spent two hours on.

After they decided to loot the tow i just said fuck it, threw away my notes and started to improvise.
>>
>>46498202
So if Paladins were still Wis based we could be playing a party of Smiting Bears?
>>
>>46500680
>>46501575
Druid dildo and cantrips are still nowhere near as good as a well built bladelock

The problem here is that bladelock requires planning and investment but the other two are literally just "pew pew"

And yet with good planning and investment a bladelock is both more effective and more satisfying, but nowhere near as versatile. Warlock hard mode, if you will

Yeah it would be nice to have it buffed, but even then, if tome and chain are light blue, blade is blue *at least*
>>
File: bard-bot-color.jpg (4 MB, 3300x4200) Image search: [Google]
bard-bot-color.jpg
4 MB, 3300x4200
>>46501677

>So how do you guys deal with the whole music thing?

I personally run a soundcloud stream in the background. With roll 20, its easier to manage, but I usually like to split up my music for whatever is appropriate. Like usually I have my intensive cliif hanger music or battle music.

https://soundcloud.com/max-ll/sets/jotun-original-soundtrack

This soundtrack here is pretty damn amazing, but the only problem being is that the songs are too short for my liking. Maybe someone could make an awesome loop for it, but I haven't seen anything for it as of yet.
>>
>>46501753
I ended up trading out my class levels before I got the chance to take a Giant Wolf Spider as a companion. It's better than a lot of the other fodder that's available is what I'm saying.

Can someone please rationalize the beastmaster archetype for me? I don't understand what the fucking point is when you can just get a pet. Don't even try to argue that you couldn't convince a beast to become your pet without the beastmaster archetype:

Ranger, Hunter archetype
>take Speak with Animals as a prepared spell
>speak with any fucking beast you want, spend eight fucking hours doing it to form a bond (nonmagical, sure) just like you have to with the beastmaster
>convince it to come along with you, Speak with Animals lets you convey such complex ideas to it and convey rationale to do so
>now you have an animal companion and it doesn't force you to be an underpowered piece of shit

"good luck using it in combat without the bonuses from proficiency that the beastmaster gets to add"

The beastmaster doesn't even use his beast in combat unless it has some exploitable feature. Otherwise, it makes no sense to put your companion at risk in combat when you can just make a more effective attack yourself.
>>
>>46502015
Bladelock is more MADer than Tome (even shillelagh tome) and Chain, needs more feats and more invocations. Bladelock still remains squishy as fuck, like the others, but the others 99% of the time stay behind, unless you go dwarf, but not everybody wants to be a dwarf warlock.

Bladelock has many holes, and sure, it can be satisfying in the way of making a monk/psywar in 3.5 was satisfying, you pick something shitty and turn it viable, but still, you have to invest tons of shit while Tome does pretty much what you do without investing shit.
>>
>>46498863
Lvl 3 feature lets you restore some temp HP by killing mooks.

Lvl 6 feature is mass fear effect that lets you play a herding dog and chase off the mooks to where you want them thanks to superior mobility.

Lvl 11 feature makes you a meme stand-up man monk and annoying to kill (especially if you got high AC)

Lvl 17 feature is a worse Quivering palm but still okay.

Dip 2 levels in Rogue if you want to enhance your mobility with Cunning action.

>>46498961
Warlocks and rogues are the reccommended multiclass for Monks.

From Warlock you only need Hex and with your 4 Unarmed strikes it lets you add 4d6 DPR.

Never dip more than 3 levels in Warlock tho.
>>
>>46502113
Just out if curiosity, was your Ex a beastmaster, Anon?
>>
>>46501950
>the plot i spent two hours on
My heart bleeds for you. Never before has such a monumental labor gone to such waste.
>>
>>46502113
Because there is no mechanical way to do what you're saying, simple as that
If you tried to pull that shit in my game I would say no

You want a pet that will fight for you? You better be a BM, chainlock or have find familiar, otherwise

>I try to persuade it to come with me and fight by my side
>It says it likes you, but not that much
>>
>>46502152
As I stated earlier, I was playing a beastmaster ranger for a while and I hated it.
>>
>>46499232
Spell sniper, Booming blade and use a whip if going with Dex for more armour.

Dip two levels into rogue for cunning action or 3 to go swashbuckler.
>>
>>46502179
It's just that you bitch like a Beastmaster off and fucked the whole city watch behind your back, is all.
>>
>>46502163
Anon literally explained that he wouldn't try to have it fight, since even the Beastmaster's companion dies so easily that it's not worth putting at risk when you're better with the dirty work anyways.
>>
>>46502163
I forgot to include at the end of my post (after discussing that situations in which it's sensible to sacrifice an attack to command your animal companion to take an action are rare) that animal companions are really only useful out of combat. So, you would not need to convince the pet to fight for you; you probably wouldn't want it to in the first place (because squishy animals get instakilled).

In fact, depending on the type of animal, you may have to go so far as to CONVINCE it not to fight alongside you. Have you ever seen a poorly trained pet dog lash out at a person for merely approaching its owner? My friend's dumbass dog tries to rip my hand off if I so much as shake his hand.
>>
My entire group showed up with Rangers.

I think at least one of them wants to change, but either way, how do I do fun wilderness adventures?
>>
>>46499182
Yes, I know. I'm asking people who may have them to share them
>>
>>46502234
Then what's the point? There is no argument, you either want a beast to fight with you or you don't, and if you don't then why do you give a shit?

He said "don't even try to..." and I didn't try, I told.

Why would anyone go beastmaster? Because it's flavorful and because it's actually viable when you pull your head out of your ass and form your own fucking opinions instead of snorting internet groupthink like a good little neet
>>
>>46502277
Free Magic Initiate Druid or Ritual Caster Druid.

Then let them run around as ''knights errant'' for a Wood elf settlement.
>>
>>46502228
>the whole city watch
>not her animal companion mastiff doggy style

Anyway, no, I just think it's a damn silly archetype.
>>
Reminder that regardless of balance, Beastmaster has more fluff and crunch justification to exist than Bard
>>
>>46502258
Even just "hey come along with me"

>No thanks, guy. I have a good thing going here
>>
If I am (generally) just playing what books have player options? As far as I can tell it is the PHB, Sword Coast Adventures, and Princes of the Apocalypse. Others, like Curse of Strahd, have just a single background and that isn't enough to justify a purchase.
>>
>>46502306

>He can't read
>>46502258
As I said in this post, their only reasonable use is in their out of combat utility.

Fuck off you silly contrarian. Your argument is "it's flavorful". You can yield the exact same flavor with good roleplaying without taking the beastmaster archetype.
>>
File: 1320638776556.gif (11 KB, 227x224) Image search: [Google]
1320638776556.gif
11 KB, 227x224
>>46502258
The fuck are you doing trying to shake a dogs hand you idiot?
>>
>>46502368
Holy shit guy, way to be a shithead on the other side of the argument
>>
>>46502373
>moving the goalpost

Opinions officially discarded. Hopefully you don't pull this shit with your players.
>>
>>46502394
>he disagrees so he must not have read and is just being contrarian

Nice talk, kid
>>
>>46499835
Spare the Dying is garbage compared to Healing Word or taking a Medicine check.

Guidance is very good, and Shilelagh is worth considering.
>>
>>46496310
Home of one of the patrons of our warlock
>>
>>46502430
Because saying "no, that doesn't fly either" is moving the goalpost?
You need to actually understand what a phrase means before you start throwing it around
>>
>>46502403
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiggCKvg3io
Checkmate, atheist

>>46502445
No, he must not have read because my earlier post refuted a point he made in his later post. Hence implying that he either ignored it or didn't read it.

Also, I must ask if the guy trying to justify the beastmaster archetype (with a pretty unreasonably rude attitude might I add), have you played a beastmaster before? What animal did you choose and how did you make it work well enough that it wasn't frustrating?
>>
>>46499853
Friends has been completely awful in my experience, what have you been using it for? Getting somebody to help you / to believe your story / whatever right now to then have them seek revenge later has always been a bad trade off when I've had the option to cast Friends without even considering that it comes at the cost of not having something else.
>>
Is there a list of what has been released and when as well as confirmed release dates for upcoming things by any chance?
>>
>Take Mage Hand and Minor Illusion cantrips
>YEAH THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT, I'M GONNA USE EM SO WELL
>Use mage hand twice, get bored of the DM just ignoring my attempts at trying to dick around with illusions and give up
>>
>>46502457
Yeah spare the dying is not great, especially considering it's touch range

The only ones who have an excuse to use it are undying locks and even then it's meh
>>
>>46502516
"An animal won't come fight with you because although it does like you, it doesn't like you enough to die for you"

>"I don't want it to fight, I just want it as a pet to come along with me. I've spent hours speaking with it and incentivized it and gave it delicious treats. It'll probably want to come with :)"

"Uh, it doesn't want to because... it doesn't... (heh, I sure proved that guy on the internet wrong! just look at how this animal won't go with my player's character!!)"

Pls.... just please stop DMing.
>>
Whats a good relic for a paladin of Moradin? There aren't really any saints in the faith of the dwarf father.
>>
>>46502614
>I've spent hours speaking with it

Yes, a mother will definitely want to leave it's young behind for you.

Not even that guy, but you know this shit won't fly like you want to every time.
>>
>>46502653
That's a specific circumstance in which it of course would not work. I never said that there are not circumstances in which an animal wouldn't acquiesce, but thank-you for raising that point regardless, because it would be worth considering. However, just as there are circumstances in which an animal would not agree to come with you, there are (arguably more) circumstances in which an animal would. Do you not agree?
>>
>>46502702
That would really depend on where you're travelling. Maybe a wolf will follow you beyond the woods, but will it follow you into a desert? Will it follow you into a dungeon?

Will a few hours of chatting and snackery make it completely ignore its own instincts to follow you into any abyss?Probably not.

And as a DM, I would make frequent-ish checks just to keep you on your toes regarding the animal.
>>
>>46502614
you're crazy man.

Beast master is an archetype that transcends just talking and forming a bond with an animal. It's representative of knowing how to become that animals alpha and becoming the leader of a pack. It represents a deep knowledge of how creatures think and function, just being able to talk to an animal doesn't create that.

Give the bear food? you're foodgiver.

Give the bear affection? You're lovegiver.

Neither make a bear want to fight by your side.
>>
File: Infernal_mage_concept_art.png (2 MB, 1600x2344) Image search: [Google]
Infernal_mage_concept_art.png
2 MB, 1600x2344
So I'm making a tomelock with a cultist theme and gave him the magic initiate feat. I've taken thautmaturgy, guidance, and shield of faith, and now I can't decide what spells to take for my book of shadows. What would teegee recommend? Also, are the choices for magic initiate solid? I went with the cleric spell list and specifically chose spells that don't increase with spell level and aren't based off of wisdom.
>>
>>46502755
Making good points here, yeah, maybe your pets will come and go in this case. But the exact same shit happens with the beastmaster. Unless you keep the companion out of combat. Which, then, is useful, because it is compelled never to leave without you having to do any work. But at that point, the entire flavor of the class is moot. If you don't need to go out of your way to find an animal that will come along with you and fight by you if need be and you don't need to interact with it at all outside of ordering it around to convenience you because it isn't allowed to leave even if you neglect it, then then how can the archetype be justified by being flavorful? It can't.

If you want rules that accommodate being a beast-master, then you should be choosing any class/archetype except for beastmaster.
>>
>>46498202

...wait, I'm not that anon, but does that mean a werebear paladin could smite whilst he mauls evildoers?
>>
>>46502817
Don't worry, beast master can't ask bears for shit either
>>
>>46502614
>please stop DMing

Unfortunately for me, I'm the only one who is willing
Fortunately for me, nobody's ever complained and everyone always asks for more
Fortunately for you and me both, you are not, nor will you ever be in my group

And let's just leave it at that, unless you want to keep bashing eachother on the internet, I'm bored
>>
>>46502891
Beastmaster can totally ask bears for shit
Or rather, he can ask the bears where they shat and go pick it up himself
>>
This giant wolf spider thing sounds fun. I like spiders. Too bad I'm a forever dm and can only play interesting characters doomed to fail against the players inevitable victory.
>>
>>46502934
You can make recurring allies, if you're careful you can even make them without being That DM with DMPCs
>>
>>46502892
I'm sure you actually do a fine job DMing. Although I don't believe you were being genuine in this discussion because you wanted to support your initial standpoint, but that's just my suspicion.

Make a beastmaster halfing NPC that rides a giant wolf spider for you players to meet. You know it would be cool.
>>
>>46502859
>exact same shit happens with the beastmaster

Hardly. The magical bond between the Beast Master and the animal is hardly something that would shatter over merely entering a dungeon or leaving locales the animal is familiar with.

So yeah, maybe the Beast Master isn't what I would pick, but it does allow players who want a pet that stays with them forever to be able to do so.
>>
>>46502651
Obsidian from a volcano that a dwarven hero fell into

The petrified beard of an ancestor

A sealed jar of mead from ages past. It's still good.

The axe of the first archpriest of Moradin, except that it's head has been replaced three times and its shaft has been replaced twice
>>
>>46502991
No, really dude, I genuinely believe beastmasters can be viable as they are, at least as much as hunters. Though I do grant some things that the book doesn't explicitly say they have, just because they make common sense to me, like death saves

Either way, you better believe there's gonna be some spider-riding halfling NPC action, just gotta figure where to fit that in PotA
>>
>>46503108
>no magical damage
>no death saves
>shitty HPs that make companions die way too fucking much
Nope, they suck
>>
>>46503140
> I don't like it
> you can't, either.
(You)
>>
>>46502536
Rule Books:
Starter Set
Player's Handbook
Monster Manual
Dungeon Master's Guide
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

Adventure Books:
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Rise of Tiamat
Princes of the Apocalypse
Out of the Abyss
Curse of Strahd

There are no known announcements or even rumors as to what might be coming next. WotC has been playing their cards close to their vest and not saying anything till a few months before product release.
>>
Anybody have any neat ideas for how to theme a monk that doesn't make them Jacki-fucking-Chan or any of the Avatar cast?

I'm really wanting to roll a Monk in the upcoming campaign, but I fucking hate the idea of being some gaybo from Naruto or Ang. I'd rather be an edgelord, honestly.

Any help, fellow fa/tg/uys?
>>
>>46503045
>The axe of the first archpriest of Moradin, except that it's head has been replaced three times and its shaft has been replaced twice
You forget yourself, Anon; it is the thing, and the whole of the thing.
>>
>>46503169
What I mentioned are objective facts and real problems, this isn't an opinion.
>>
File: 2016-03-17-15-40-42-1908580578.jpg (10 KB, 188x269) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-17-15-40-42-1908580578.jpg
10 KB, 188x269
>>46503140
Whatever, guy
>>
What can I do to make a long sailing trip interesting?

Or is it hopeless, and should I just narrate the whole trip in a few lines and move on?

It's a very naval-heavy campaign.
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Is there still a need for this?
People seemed to dig it last thread.
I had also worked on compiled list of monsters, magic items, and spells, but those documents are all out date. However if there is still demand for them I can work on that or post what I have and someone else can update them.
>>
>>46503169
>he isn't handwaving the flaws? How could he?!
>>
>>46503205
>a few greentexts
>an objective fact and real problems

Well shit faggot. You should get into politics.
>>
>>46503205
>objective
(You) again.
>>
>>46503241
I am glad to have it. I don't care about any of the other stuff though.
>>
>>46503235
As someone who has been on long naval trips without the benefit of living in the age of pirates, there are two things that make them entertaining:
Sex and masturbation
>>
>>46503256
>he wrote with green ink, therefore all what he said is false
Remove the tinfoil
>>
>>46503270
>As someone who has been on long naval trips without the benefit of living in the age of pirates,

Ah, but no such limitation is necessary here.

Also - although perhaps you meant this yourself- we're talking about the adventurers being the crew, not just passengers.
>>
>>46503197
Tell that to the dwarf's evil cousin who claims to have the real axe because of a clause in dwarven estate law.
>>
>>46503196
Edgelord Monk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raoh
or
http://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Garou
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shang_Tsung

Just look for inspiration from other fiction numbnuts
>>
>>46503270
Confirm nature of relationship between gayness and underwayness?
>>
>>46503297
Nah anon, see look at it this way, your "objective facts" are actually biased and gay as fuck, much like you.

Cars.

>need fuel constantly
>cost more money than shoes
>slower than planes

Nope, they suck.

Objective facts and REAL problems anon.

Last time I'm responding to your subhumanfaggotry.
>>
>>46502842
Bumping for advice and to get the conversation away from shitposts.
>>
>>46503318

I was looking for opinions / suggestions, fag. Obviously I've been looking at other sources.

butthankyoubichass
>>
>>46503349
Nice strawman, here's a (you)
>>
>>46502842
> Also, are the choices for magic initiate solid?

What choices did you make, exactly? There are a lot of Cleric spells.
>>
>>46503365
>I was looking for opinions / suggestions,
Suggestion - go look at other fiction, Monk is a fine class to play in 5e

Good luck finding your muse anon
>>
>>46503108
At least we can agree on some of the rulings being silly. My DM gave my companions death saving throws which saved me a lot of hassle.
>>
>>46503354
I would not take Magic Initiate as a Tomelock, because you get diminishing returns the more cantrips you have. Beyond having two or three damage cantrips, Minor Illusion and Guidance, other spells will be either for flavor - like Thaumaturgy and Prestidigitation - or pretty situational - like Message and Mage Hand.

Not that you shouldn't have them, but there comes a point where it's probably more useful to take another feat.

That said, if you're looking for advice, what are your existing spells?
>>
>>46503300
My step-brother has a yacht, we sailed with his GF and 4 other chicks from Cancun to Miami
It's 90% doing nothing and 10% intense work
The only reason I got any trim (lol sailing pun) on that trip was because we were all ridiculously bored and there was nothing else to do but drink and fuck
>>
>>46503431
damn..... epic fuckfest of a lifetime..... why do you even bother posting here.... normie...
>>
>>46499839
I would maybe 300-600 gp each
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.