[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58
File: 1454741660742.jpg (243 KB, 1107x831) Image search: [Google]
1454741660742.jpg
243 KB, 1107x831
Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Drow Bullying Edition

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
>http://pastebin.com/YhdxTQS6

Ultimate Intrigue leaks:
>classes: http://imgur.com/a/tlwEX
>feats: http://imgur.com/a/PA4eT
>items: http://imgur.com/a/RzJiF

Old Thread: >>46444602
>>
File: mottainai.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
mottainai.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Posting this race to request feedback and/or ideas.
>>
File: eldritch scoundrel.png (17 KB, 487x378) Image search: [Google]
eldritch scoundrel.png
17 KB, 487x378
Post archetypes
>>
>>46451585
>not even combining it with hidden blade
>>
>>46451601
>using PoW
>>
>>46451645
>>
File: metamorph alchemist.jpg (246 KB, 1209x628) Image search: [Google]
metamorph alchemist.jpg
246 KB, 1209x628
>>46451585
>>
/pfg/, is there any real value to the Guardian Spirit creature you get from Summon Guardian Spirit over just taking the Improved Familiar feat? Granted, you need a familiar to take Improved Familiar and it has different ability growth, but most of the people who take the Summon Guardian Spirit feat will have a familiar anyway, or an easy means of getting one. And the SLAs and statline on a Guardian Spirit isn't all THAT impressive, when you can only summon it for 15 minutes at a time.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/guardian-spirit-cr-varies

http://archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Summon%20Guardian%20Spirit
>>
>>46451645
>not using PoW

>>46451684
Pick an Improved Familiar with SLAs or other abilities that scale nicely with the extra HD and ability scores it gets?
>>
Does anyone have a two-panel comic that has a princess wanting a warrior man's attention in the first panel, and in the second she reveals she's turned herself into a dragon to get the man's attention, and she has him pinned under a claw?
>>
>>46451684

>CR modifications

lol wut? Summoned creatures don't have an independent CR
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-04+at+02.39.31).jpg (50 KB, 304x489) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-04+at+02.39.31).jpg
50 KB, 304x489
is that Homura's tights?
>>
File: 1458121591108.jpg (235 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458121591108.jpg
235 KB, 848x1200
>>46451981
That's Homu's everything. Including the propensity for ruining FUCKING EVERYTHING. FUCK YOU PAIZO!
>>
>>46452002
Hating the magical child is /pfg/'s favorite meme now, isn't it?
>>
>>46452002
Homura did nothing wrong.
NotHomu however, fucked up so badly that she doesn't even deserve 'Magical Child' as an archetype name.
>>
File: 1459473930129.png (150 KB, 388x280) Image search: [Google]
1459473930129.png
150 KB, 388x280
>>46452002
>>
>>46452021

Pretty much

It has

A) Magic
B) Transformation sequence
C) Mascot

There's really nothing more it needs to be a generic magic girl, but that's simply not good enough for /pfg/
>>
So guys, I'm a new pathfinder player and I am playing with quite a few veterans. We are playing an evil campaign where we are evil and will bring about the end of the world (if we succeed). But nobody in the party seems to listen to anything I say even though I think I have pretty good ideas. The few times they have listened to some of the things I had to say they genuinely worked and helped us out strategically. To make things worse I have to try and scrounge together something as loot because they all want to take it for themselves. Usually whoever dealt the final blow is supposed to get the stuff. But it seems like when I do it with my Goblin Barbarian, whoever the loot would help just yells out that they would benefit from it and then the DM just gives it to them.

So, basically...since it is an evil campaign. How can I make myself undeniably useful, or destroy the party and teach them a bit of a lesson? I had debated using ALL my coins (I'm the only one that has money really at this point, most have like 100 gold at max and I have well over 2k) to buy a Goblin horde and then destroy the players who belittle my character and me at the game. Any suggestions though?
>>
File: Homerun.jpg (374 KB, 800x1146) Image search: [Google]
Homerun.jpg
374 KB, 800x1146
>>46452044
To be fair, its spell list is really mediocre for the role of mahou shoujo-ing, and they pretty much duct-taped the mahou shoujo stuff on after deciding they wanted to a summoner archetype for the vigilante. Beyond that, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
>>
>>46452044
Magical girls also aren't:

A. Pet classes.
B. Shitty pet classes compared to Unchained summoners.
>>
>>46452044
That's an incredibly shallow way to put it.

Mahou Shoujo Magic is more in line with the Witch or Wizard spell list. Magus if we're going for Nanoha, Dog Days or Pretty Cure.

Transformation Sequence which does absolutely nothing special nor magical

Mascot which again, is shit. They could have taken a page from the Witch's familiar. aka "Make a contract with me and become meguca!"
>>
>>46452071
They never listen to you.
That means they don't expect YOUR plan.

It's not YOUR fault they didn't know they needed planeshift-capable spacesuits because the planet-turned dimensional biohorror can eat thoughts.

You told them a few times anyways.
>>
>>46451445
I love playing drow purely because of the way they look. I just think that the dark skin and contrast white hair really fit with the slender, pointy-eared elven body.

I had only played drow once in one of my first RPG campaigns, but I didn;t enjoy the fact that I was constantly the center of unwanted attention. (I expected a lot of unwanted attention, but what started off as a campaign in an oddball city full of tieflings, drow and all other sorts of weirdos quickly moved on to a campaign in puritan human kingdoms).

Recently got into an Eberron campaign set in a multicultural city. I thought this is great since I can play a drow in a setting where they are not inherently evil. Two sessions in, the party is the one bullying me.

Why are people such bullies?
>>
>>46452154
Hmm...I think I get what you are throwing down. I will try to devise a plan to work into the story. Maybe I just have to hang in the back and wait for the perfect time to strike them down. Bide my time so to speak.
>>
>>46452204
If we're to be specific, my suggestion isn't so much "strike them down" as "their inability to consider you left them stranded in antispace".

If you've got all that time on your hands, why not make a bigger better plan to end the world? A bit of "hey, I didn't think that version was good enough so I designed a bigger better one".

Rather than just a typical "stab them in the back", It's when they press the big red button and realize they didn't listen to your instructions about the safe radius you're CERTAIN you told them about (ha) that they'll finally understand.

That said, you're being screwed out of loot and glory, so DO feed them some voidstone in their sleep.
>>
Will my DM hate me if I use persistent sculpt sound to mercilessly shut down enemy casters?
He's the kind of person who won't expect and will make them have no silent spell.
>>
>>46452334
He wont expect it the first time, he will be more prepared later.
>>
File: 1459635570959.png (1 MB, 754x980) Image search: [Google]
1459635570959.png
1 MB, 754x980
Reposting
Someone posted this in the other thread and it got me thinking - what sorts of minions can a character get hold of with reasonable levels of ease/investment?

A short list would be things such as:
Combat:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/skull-ripper
Skull ripper is quite tanky, with 24AC and 112HP. 2 claws at 2d6+6, with grab and a +26 bonus on grapple checks. ~16k to make.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-alchemical
Random chance of 1d6 extra damage, or debilitating effect with crap save DC. Can throw bombs as a ranged touch attack with randomly determined damage type for 8d6. Costs ~18k.

Utility:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/clockwork/clockwork-familiar
Isitoq - pic related
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/homunculus.html#homunculus
Aside from scouts, what could these be used for?

Templates:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/frostfallen-creature-cr-1
Absolutely amazing since, unlike normal zombies/skeletons, frostfallen creatures retain their special attacks.

Spells:
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/rapidRepair.html
Essential for repairing your constructs, 5hp/round for 1round/level

Does anyone have some other interesting constructs/undead/minions to add?
>>
Warlock is the true magical girl class lets be real
>>
>>46452334
or you could, you know, tell him beforehand your character is going to use that and hope he is not a whiny kid that will give free silent spells to all his sorcerers.

there should be still one way to counter that.
>>
>>46452334

It depends how vengeful and overprotective he is of his encounters. I would let it fly now and then if not obviously exploited, but would seed a silent spell user or three among the spellcasters for higher levels.

>>46452021
Isn't hating on most anything Paizo /pfg/'s favourite meme for a while now?
>>
File: Druid lady.jpg (159 KB, 757x1056) Image search: [Google]
Druid lady.jpg
159 KB, 757x1056
Hi /pfg/, I'm making a lvl 4 human druid, with the following stats:
STR 16 (18 including an extra +2 bonus bracer the party has)
DEX 16 (ditto strength)
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 20
CHA 13
(I just rolled really well, deal with it). The DM hates limitations on the amount of items you can wear, and as such I can wear two separate bracers.

I have 6000 GP to spend, and the DM has ruled that AC boosting items (like an amulet of natural armor or a cloak of armor) still work with wild shape.
What items and (3) feats should I take?
>>
>>46452190
I blame /tg/-like autism:
>hur durr, edgy Drizzt wannabe.
But a drow played correctly is both satisfactory and fun.
Also Eberron is a underated setting.
>>
Since /pfg/ loves its fluffy tail and huldras, I have a question about huldra in folklore and mythology. Do they always have the big hole in their back, or will it close up and make them seem "human" if certain things happen? Marriage, true love, whatever. And can they hide their tails like kitsune mythology, or do they not get a choice there?

Additionally, are they immortal, or can they die from age?
>>
>>46452743
>Do they always have the big hole in their back, or will it close up and make them seem "human" if certain things happen? And can they hide their tails like kitsune mythology, or do they not get a choice there?
Yes they all have a hole. No you can't close. They ARE human, anon just don't mention the tail and everything will be fine.

>Additionally, are they immortal, or can they die from age?
Mortal. They have a very long lifespan similar to most fae like the elves.
>>
>>46452779
Okay, so, what's actually inside the hole, then? Or inside her body in general? Is it just a hollow in their back, and they have more human stuff elsewhere inside?

Will one bleed if you cut them, or are they more wood/bark than flesh, or...?
>>
>>46452190
To be fair, Eberron Drow are kinda ungabunga savages, with perchant for cannibalism IIRC. You could be a gentrified one I guess.
>>
>>46452978
They kind of are, to a certain extend. There are several different Drow civilizations each with their own culture.

Still, I am playing an Umbragen diplomat in search of a device that can help her people in the fight against Belashyrra's horde. Naturally, she is particularly interested in whatever device or magic caused the destruction of an entire kingdom on Khorvaire.
>>
>>46452743
Wood shape something that fits the proportions of the hole and fit it over it like a plug.
>>
File: image.png (46 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
46 KB, 200x200
>>46452571
Anon I'm sorry but I don't think anyone cares, they're too busy talking about anime or some shit to be helpful, just start a thread, God knows your more likely to get help that way.
>>
File: behave.png (346 KB, 1026x498) Image search: [Google]
behave.png
346 KB, 1026x498
>>46451445
>>
>>46453342
Sadly I think you're right. Waifu furbait is clearly a more productive topic.
>>
If DSP has shat out some bad mechanics and some of their designers are insufferable, why do we still idolize them so much?
>>
>>46453067
Okay, something important to note about the fae - and this applies to all fae.

IF YOU SUGGEST, IMPLY, OR STATE THAT THEY LOOK AT ALL 'WRONG', 'UGLY', 'INCORRECT', OR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE WAY THEY LOOK IS WRONG OR BAD, THEY WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP BAD.

Don't even think of it, really.
>>
>>46453379
Because "muh useful martials."
>>
> One of the guy accusing me for "being OP" and "over optimized"
> His character is Rogue 3/Ranger 1/Alchemist 1
>>
>>46453379
Because they gave martials spellcasting and claimed to fix PF.
>>
>>46453463
What's your character?
>>
>>46453379
Most of their material is pretty good, and the bad material can be tracked to credited authors.
>>
>>46453463
"look, my character enjoys being proficient at what he dreams to be, it's not powergamered, i just took feats that make him ok, for example i didn't take [insert overpowered feat/ spell/item/ action economy abuse/something from D&D 3.5]"
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>>46453516
Oh lord here we go
>>
>>46453535
what's up buddy? jealous of my moderately competitive damage on dice and diversified offtime options?
>>
>>46451583
You should say it gets hardness equal to the wards or five, whichever is higher.
Would make investing into a nice ward for yourself nice.
>>
I thought you were going to post pictures of drow ladies
where are the pictures?
>>
Wouldn't you need to be running a tier 1 and 2 only game to NOT use Path of War?

I mean those are your only real options for a balanced game - tier 1/2 or tier 3/4, and Path of War fits right into 3/4, right alongside classes like Magus and Bard.

You'd have to be pretty dumb to actually play games with the core Fighter and Monk.
>>
>>46453582
at least martials with POW can have fun and forget about the fact they are merely a servant of the party wizard and cleric.
>>
Ok, let's go back to the most hated class recently done by Paizo, the kineticist.

Would the draconic bloodline arcana from a 1-level dip work on kinetic blasts sharing the same element? They are spell-likes, so they should count as spells.
>>
>>46453602
Just... what the fuck happens if a kineticist faces an enemy who's immune to his element?
>>
File: image.png (92 KB, 503x257) Image search: [Google]
image.png
92 KB, 503x257
>>46453548
Is there a word for feeling less than apathetic towards someone's opinions?
>>
>>46453582
Why do people hate PoW so much?

The mechanics are interesting, and their abilities level off after a certain point.
>>
>>46453642
he's happy that he won't have to burn his hp and can just sit in the back while the real party does the stuff.
>>
>>46453593
Well the point is that you should ban tier 1 classes like cleric and wizard anyway.

Cleric, wizard, fighter, rogue = bad times, too much tier disparity
Inquisitor, Magus, Warlord, Hunter = cool times, everyone's a similar tier
>>
>>46453642
Then the cries himself to sleep later that evening, if he's still alive.
>>
>>46453651
butthurt?
>>
>>46453668
Nah but have fun with that anon
>>
>>46452190
You effectively just admitted you only want to play a character because of how the race looks, not how the race influences the type of character you're playing, but just cause you think it looks hot.

No wonder people are giving you shit you autist
>>
>>46453655
Some people think it's cool to be contrarian assholes about a thing now that the thing is popular.
>>
>>46453688
>roleplaying game player calls someone else autist
>>
File: 1423781785346.jpg (34 KB, 400x516) Image search: [Google]
1423781785346.jpg
34 KB, 400x516
>>46453697
Do they cite actual reasons for their case?
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 766x960
>>46453697
But anon its mainstream we can't like mainstream things here!
>>
>>46453688
>playing things just because you think they look cool means you are autistic

So if you play heavy-armored characters because you like plate/the knight archetype people should be giving you shit? In a fantasy game playing something that you think is cool and badass is often key to having fun.
>>
>>46453642
In all honesty, that's the sign of either
a) a bad DM if he just randomly adds shit with immunities

or b) the sign of a clever enemy that researches the party and obtains a way to negate their offensive capabilities

In either case it is best for there to be a way for the kineticist to overcome the enemy's resistances though,
>>
>>46453642
They use physical blasts, unless they're fire. They get an extra element later but... there are still a lot of high level foes with multiple immunities.
>>
File: image.png (22 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
22 KB, 300x250
>>46453717
I'm fairly certain this doesn't need to be said but there's always the point where your fun shouldn't be at the expense of everyone else's fun, but considering how things are these days, I guess it does.
>>
How do I get Strength-based Acrobatics?
>>
>>46453797
it's always been strange to me such a thing is a matter of dex and not strength.
>>
>>46453869
Gymnasts are actually generally pretty buff.
>>
File: 250px-Old-Mage_Jatembe.jpg (15 KB, 250x356) Image search: [Google]
250px-Old-Mage_Jatembe.jpg
15 KB, 250x356
Say /pfg/, I've been thinking of running a game and possibly building a setting with SoP included, and I've been having a gander at the Tradition and Drawback rules.

Now, I've been thinking of home-ruling that your first drawback does not grant bonus spell points, but can still be used to qualify for boons. That way, drawbacks feel less like a cheap way to grab spell points.

Thoughts?
>>
>>46453642

You can use physical blasts associated with the same element. The blast has the same descriptor, but a different type of damage, so it should work. Eventually, you can use composites.
>>
File: 1459219114035.jpg (13 KB, 243x311) Image search: [Google]
1459219114035.jpg
13 KB, 243x311
>>46453688
>>
>>46453655
The classes are a bit of an ugly mess, brought too much overcomplication themselves in their normal features when it already comes from the initiating. They miraculously made the Crusader look straightforward. Swordsage and Warblade would have been fine to bring over.
>>
>>46454113
Spheres of Power is really inconsistent on the internal balance.
>>
What if we ported over 5e rules and slapped them on PF?
>>
>>46453721
>a) a bad DM if he just randomly adds shit with immunities
So it's bad GMing to use basically half the bestiary?
>>
>>46454256
Why? What does it do differently? What are you hoping it does to PF?
>>
>>46454250
>Spheres of Power is really inconsistent on the internal balance.

can you elaborate? i was looking to use it for my next campaign and i need some balance feedback.
>>
After 5 years I finally realized that CMB and CMD is more complicated than Strength checks. I don't think I EVER had a harder time getting retarded players to learn a system than PF, even though 3.5 skill rank distribution was madness.
>>
>>46454286
Some spheres are utter ass (Dark, Enhancement, Fate, Light), some are god tier (Conjuration, Weather), staffs are kinda broken, some classes are shit (armorist, mageknight), some are way too good for SoP (archetyped hedgewitch), some classes are front loaded 1 level dips (incanter), high/mid/low caster split is really dumbly handled, etc.
>>
>>46454256
5e isn't backwards compatible, Pathfinder isn't particularly forwards compatible either.

It'd be mismatched as fuck.
>>
>>46454256
Why would you want to limit PF so badly?

5e is a nice game, except that it's got the same problem as 4e in that "you can do only this much, no more, you're done, start over".
>>
>>46454250
I know, but it's still much better and intuitive at sticking to Tier 4-3 than Vancian

Also, as much as people give it flack, Dark is actually a decent Sphere once you grab Lingering Darkness and at least 2 darkness types, the Light Handbook is looking bretty good, and the Armorist and Mageknight have class features well enough to give them combat versatility on their own so you can invest your Spheres into utility ones to allow better overall class versatility

Also, I already plan on homeruling Staffs to be less powerful, and Conjuration is already just a shitty Eidolan, which was the least broken part of the Summoner, and the CL limitations actually make them less versitile and powerful since you have to choose a trade-off between Char strength and Eidolan strength.
>>
>>46454312
Mageknight's great for what it set out to do.

Armorist is pretty meh though. All of their class Real-estate got chewed up by Summoned/Bound Equipment, and all they're left with is Arsenal Tricks, which are fucking pathetic. A quarter of them just give you feats. Feats with no prerequisites. Shit like Weapon Focus, Equipment Trick, or HEAVY ARMOR PROFICIENCY.

WHICH ARMORISTS DON'T HAVE, INCIDENTALLY.

OH AND 2+INT SKILL POINTS AND ONLY ONE GOOD SAVE. JOY.
>>
>>46454367
>>46454373
Armorist and mageknight are tier 4 at best.

Why not just use psionics?
>>
>>46454241
You're making the mistake of equating complexity with complication.

Complexity and mechanical depth provide effective options and utility.

Complication makes it impossible to use that mechanical depth for any practical purpose.

It's more complex than 'roll to hit', but then again, so are wizards.
>>
>>46454448
>"Oh, thing you like is shit. Why not use this completely unrelated thing?"

Because maybe I wanna use Spheres, you tremendous dullard?

Because maybe I prefer the classes themselves, even if Armorist is lacking in actual features of its own?

Because maybe I don't fucking LIKE psionics?
>>
>>46454513
B-but you said our love was special...

Mornin' /pfg/!
>>
>>46452860

They'll bleed if you cut them, but the inside of their hollow back is like the inside of a rotten log.

It's fae space, if you rub their belly you'll feel muscle and maybe organ, but if you were to reach inside her hollow back to that same space you'll find nothing there.

>>46452743

They don't always have the hollow back, sometimes they just have the tail (Norway Huldra have cow tails, Swedish Huldra have fox tails) and sometimes they just have Lynx ears (you know, those cute sable-topped things).

The hole CAN close up, but only if she meets a man that will marry her in a church, if you marry a Huldra in church they become 100% human while keeping their beauty, strength and magical powers. If you disrespect a Huldra while in human or Huldra form, they might just turn into a hideous troll and slaughter her lover/husband.

So it doesn't have to be true love, within the context of Pathfinder it just has to be the Huldra meeting a man or woman and convincing them to take her as their wife, and say the required vows on holy ground in a place of worship. If you do that, the tail goes away, the hollow back goes away, but you become human.
>>
>>46454533
Hey Gareth, GM here.

One player wants to rock a Stalker in a Golarion AP, Curse of the Crimson Throne, for the curious, and one other player is considering a Soulknife, Brawler, or some Unchained class. Third player tentatively considering a cleric. We're still looking for a fourth one.

How concerned should I be about 'PC redundancy' or irrelevance among martials who don't PoW and initiators?
>>
>>46454556
Somewhat tricky to answer, because Stalker's a little schizophrenic. They're good for bursty damage with mobility and might end up in a similar niche as a Soulknife or Brawler as a result, depending on discipline choice and the op levels present.

I'm kinda the wrong guy to ask, but lemme ponder this while I get some caffeine and try to get back to you? Also important, do you know if the player considering a soulknife or brawler is contemplating any archetypes? Gifted Blade can get soulknife a toolbox that compliments Stalker without overlapping too hard.
>>
>>46454617
>>46454617
I'm unaware as to whether or not he's considering archetypes at all, or even which class he's leaning more towards. I'll definitely ask, though.

My main concern is PC Overlap, which is gonna be tricky with any Tier 3 or 4 classes, since they can do a lot of stuff acceptably well. I've had campaigns with one or more PCs reduced to 'The Backup Guy' in case the first option didn't exactly nail it, and with this being two players' first introduction into the Pathfinder rules (and one guy's first fantasy RPG - we've played a lot of 40k RPGs over the years, but he's never done fantasy, so I'm kind of excited to get him into it), I'd like to see if we can't hit it off just right. The new guy is the one playing the Stalker, but we have a few mechanical experts who like PoW to walk him through the nitty-gritty.
>>
>>46453655
I don't hate PoW, I love it, I usr it, but it has some serious flaws for my tastes.

It has no GM support. It's hard to challenge PoW-based PCs with standard monsters, you have to brew something, add maneuvers on top of regular mobs and so on. It's time-consuming. I understand why it is the way it is, DSP is a small company and is short on resources, and a GM-oriented book won't sell that good, but still.

It actually boosts casters. With the whole nonIL=1/2 IL while multiclassing it is really easy to dip 1 lvl initiator and gain access to really good stuff. Let's say you build a 5 lvl character: you take 4 lvls in Wizard, practiced initiator trait and slap a level of whatever initiator class you like. You effective initiator level is now 5, you can take a bunch of lvl 3 maneuvers and abuse it.

It mostly focuses on gishy characters with not so much options for mundane martials. By mundane I don't mean monks and fighters, i mean competent melee charactrs without flashy effects, teleports, energy blasts and so on.

And finally, PoW overshadows some other cool products from DSP. I personally love Akasha and the whole truenamer update, but now DSP is focused much more on initiators and stuff. I may be wrong on this one tho.
>>
File: image.png (230 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
image.png
230 KB, 500x456
I figured I'd ask here, but where does a Necromancy specialized wizard sit on the totem pole in terms of versatility compared to the other types of wizards?
>>
>>46454669
>It has no GM support. It's hard to challenge PoW-based PCs with standard monsters, you have to brew something, add maneuvers on top of regular mobs and so on. It's time-consuming. I understand why it is the way it is, DSP is a small company and is short on resources, and a GM-oriented book won't sell that good, but still.
Well said.
PoW bestiary when?
I need my initiator dragons already.
>>
>>46454693
Pretty high up there.
>>
I hate to be a bother but do any of you have a picture of a gothic lolita necromancer? I need one, and there must be lots out there, but Google isn't giving very helpful results for some reason.

It's technically an Occultist if that matters.
>>
>>46454693
Necromancy does a little bit of everything. It's just really solid
>>
>>46454719
can't you just grab anee-may images of gothlolis
>>
File: J75En0x.jpg (106 KB, 744x1052) Image search: [Google]
J75En0x.jpg
106 KB, 744x1052
>>46454719
Uh, sorta? I've got my werebat necro-psychometrist here, but the wings and horns might throw you off.
>>
>>46454669
>It mostly focuses on gishy characters withn ot so much options for mundane martials

This is arguably my biggest beef with both PoW and the old Tome of Battle, but then you run headlong into the problem where you can only make certain options so viable within the d20 mechanics. To the credit of the DSP writing team, it comes across as them having done their level best to make Conan, Aragorn, and Gimli cool all on their lonesomes, but there was only so much to work with.
>>
>>46454695
On some days off, I take requests for generating enemies with maneuvers.

Most of the time, no one wants any.
>>
>>46454695
I was thinking about making a homebrew with simple class templates for monsters, some monstrous disciplines for different creature types (swarms, beasts, flyers and so on), but my English is not so good and I don't have much experience balancing crunch.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 400x400
>>46454708
>>46454753
I figured, considering that one of the major problems that wizards have(see direct physical confrontations) gets nicely patched up with hordes of undead.

Second question then, how many skeletons is too many? As in should I just focus on a small number of incredibly powerful undead or some middling powered and then a team of fodder? I ask because I don't want to be an issue with the rest of the party.
>>
>>46454796
Focus on a small number of powerful dudes so you don't give everyone headaches.
>>
>>46454669
The gishy thing really just comes with the territory. How many attacks can you make out of "does something realistically possible, but better"? Its much easier to put flashy supernatural shit in because that greatly expands the available variety.
>>
>>46454796
Getting a skeleton horde is a bad idea - poor attacks and damage, incredible vulnerability to AoEs, and not really cost effective.

What you want to do is get four or five of the biggest things you can find and turn them into skeles. One notable exception to the skeles is dragons and hydras, though, as the former makes awesome mounts and the latter are capable of attacking with all their heads as a standard action.
>>
>>46454788
I started work on a Discipline called Flying Gryphon once that was meant for use with monsters. Unfortunately Chimera Soul basically does the same things so i stopped.
>>
>>46454788
If you write it, they will correct it.

There are a bunch of smart people on /pfg/ who would love to help with your project but probably don't have the balls to start such a thing themselves.

Don't worry about your english or balance, details can be corrected with trial, error and much shitposting.
>>
>>46454796
Minimize the number of undead yeah. It's not just polite and time-efficient and less difficult to control, a horde of skeletons takes up physical space and immobilize your friends while they do practically nothing to the enemy (it becomes nigh-impossible for them to hit very quickly), which has as many downsides as you can think of and then more you wouldn't be able to know ahead of time.
>>
>>46454852
Why not just make Frostfallen creatures?
Also personally i think Zombies/Fast Zombies are better than Skeletons unless its a very high level creature because of the extra hit dice.
>>
>>46454554

Forgot to mention that the Huldra cannot hide her tail like the Kitsune, the tail is often hidden by long skirts and conservative country-girl dresses (same with the hollow back.) An important aspect of many Huldra tales is the man noticing the tail (this breaks the enchantment many Huldra place upon men they desire) and figuring out a clever way to inform the Huldra he knows she's a Huldra without actually addressing the tail directly (for example, a man telling the Huldra her skirt is too short, as he can see her ankles.)

Men who manage to break the illusion without disrespecting them often earn the Huldra's admiration, and are either aided on whatever journey they're taking or seen as husband material. In a similar vein, men who leave out offerings of bread and milk (human foods) will also earn their admiration, and find the Huldra keeping their fires while they sleep.
>>
>>46454857
Nice to hear. I'll start with this as soon as I finish my other gaming project and will post the omebrew document itt.
>>
File: image.png (192 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
192 KB, 600x600
>>46454813
>>46454852
>>46454867
>>46454871
Alrighty, thanks, I'll probably stick with the two that I have for now seeing as they are rather good for what were facing currently, though obviously if I find some premier corpses I'm obviously gonna increase the size of the "horde" by one or two, I'll just be sure not to be an ass.

I only have the lesser animate dead currently, but I do know about the whole frost fallen deal, of which I will use when I finally get animate dead.

As for why it's skeletons, I have a theme going with this character, not to say I won't use zombies, he just has a preference for skeletons.
>>
>>46454783
I wouldn't mind some Masks of the Living God appropriate initiators.
>>
>>46454852
Skeleton dragons are actually kind of bad because they can't fly.
>>
>>46454950
I think he meat to say that
>>
What kind of enemies do you fight in Curse of the Crimson Throne? Hoping to avoid major spoilers, just need to know what are legit Favored Enemy choices.

Here's hoping devils is one of them, it'd fit perfectly with the character I'm planning...
>>
>>46454938
Assume I'm not that familiar with Golarion, and I haven't seen any movies since Age of Ultron.

I need you to describe in detail what you want these monks to do.
>>
>>46454950
>>46454967
yes, that's what I meant - if you're making a dragon or hydra undead, you want it to be a zombie.
>>
>>46454667
Stalker's one of the PoW classes that takes a bit of wrangling to get working properly, but if his heart's set on it, I might suggest that you advise he avoid Broken Blade, Primal Fury, & Thrashing Dragon (overtuned, overtuned, & mostly good for full attacks), as well as much of Steel Serpent (undertuned). With that being four whole disciplines, maaaaybe swap those for some others that interest him? I dunno.

I'm gonna see if I can't get someone a bit better at character building to help you out.
>>
>>46455119
>Fast zombie dragon
God have mercy I'm drooling
>>
>>46455195
If there's any newbie-friendly suggestions, I'm open to hearing them. He's pretty interested in Veiled Moon, and if I'm not mistaken Scarlet Throne, from his read through the SRD. He might dabble in one or two other Disciplines. I've told him ahead of time I'm open to refluffing certain Martial Traditions if necessary to allow him access to certain abilities.

Inb4 Dishonored build.
>>
File: 1435898221162.jpg (49 KB, 620x427) Image search: [Google]
1435898221162.jpg
49 KB, 620x427
>mfw there's a campaign on Roll20 where the DM has already chosen your gender, name, class and race
>mfw it's a 1-person campaign, and the DM is insisting it'll be filled with all sorts of depraved shit

Oh boy, I was going to say "good luck with that, buddy" until I read the bits that suggested to me the DM is just playing in her magical realm without actually bothering to make a collaborative story. Hell, one of the few things she seems to be offering the player choice in is the female vampire's sexuality, and given the range of fetishes she's going to be putting into the campaign none of that will mean jack shit since, if you put "she's totally gay", she's still gonna get fucked by a man anyway.
>>
File: Kestrel.jpg (25 KB, 324x533) Image search: [Google]
Kestrel.jpg
25 KB, 324x533
>>46455259
If he likes/can get past/is willing to replace the fluff, Harbinger (http://pathminder.github.io/base-classes/harbinger/) is a mobile skirmisher with native access to both of those disciplines. I designed 'er for ease of use from the ground up and feedback seems to suggest that she's easy to use so, y'know, yay. Their emphasis on strikes and taking out targets of opportunity may get your player the feel they were looking for from Stalker, though I'll note that Harbinger is feat-starved and as a result they may need help when considering their feat and weapon selection.
>>
>>46455361
$20 says it ain't a woman.
>>
File: 1422266462729.jpg (35 KB, 407x511) Image search: [Google]
1422266462729.jpg
35 KB, 407x511
>>46455361
>>
>>46455404
Awesome. I'll pitch it, see what he thinks.

Thanks, based Gar.
>>
File: 1458403639497.gif (1 MB, 460x258) Image search: [Google]
1458403639497.gif
1 MB, 460x258
Alright, newish player to pnp games, this thread is full of people, so I'll bring it here.
Is it really possible to play a quiet, intelligent character unless you are a caster? I find myself having a lot of ideas to deal with situations using the resources of the group, but I either find myself breaking character to explain it to the party, or saying nothing and doing nothing.
The few times I tried to lead the way or engage other pcs to try and get my thoughts across without talking a blue streak, nothing happened or people ignored me. I finally had enough, and started breaking away from the group to do shit myself, by myself, and now I'm getting shit for "separating the party and being a gloryhog", despite my shit usually working flawlessly.
I'm frustrated, and while my dm has been helpful, everyone says the dm shouldn't tell players how to rp their characters, so I don't think he should tell them, "Hey, talk to this guy more often, he usually has good ideas".
>>
>>46455442
The problem is that unless your character has a history with the other characters they have no reason to trust the quiet person. Are you trying to do things because you know how, or do you only think you know how? If you're wondering off by yourself it definitely shows a lack of intelligence at the very least. You're expecting other people to follow you without giving any reason for them to do so.
>>
>>46455442
It's impossible, anon, especially with the kind of person you are. I've seen your type before, and I'm one of them. When it comes to actually playing, you enjoy taking a leading role and guiding the situation. You might as well just write your own stories if you want to be some Mr. Intelligent guy. Otherwise? Be the charismatic plot-pusher.
>>
>>46453379
Because we (the people who fellate DSP) tend to idolize the people who made good mechanics and loudly complain about the other ones.
>>
>>46455442
It is, but you can't do it on your own. It can really only work if you involve one of the other players in your backstory, so they ALREADY KNOW you have good ideas when asked, and have a reason to trust you.
>>
>>46455442
>Is it really possible to play a quiet, intelligent character unless you are a caster?
Not really.

Investigator, maybe, you can use your wits to beat the everliving shit out of people Modern Sherlock style.
>>
>>46455545
>>46455466
>they have no reason to trust the quiet person
The group has been together in game for almost 3 months, thru a variety of situations, and the group has openly claimed to respect my prowess.
>Are you trying to do things because you know how, or do you only think you know how?
I have literally yet to fail at any deed I have attempted, whether in a group or by myself. Yes, I do believe I know what I am doing, my character is certainly intelligent enough to reasonably come up with the plans I execute.
>If you're wondering off by yourself it definitely shows a lack of intelligence at the very least. You're expecting other people to follow you without giving any reason for them to do so.
See above. When I die going off by myself, then you can claim lack of intelligence or whatever such nonsense. Point is, before this, I explained my plans in detail to the party, we did them, everything went off as planned, big hurrah. However, I didn't want to keep breaking character by making long winded speeches about tactics, strategy, doing this that another, and despite it all, the party still doesn't engage me so I need not chatter so much, nor come up with any plans or ideas themselves outside of "throw magic and swords at it".
So I resorted to doing my plans alone, not because I prefer it, but because if the alternative is constantly breaking character, I'd rather stay IC and get shit done than break character to make everyone else feel fucking special and "included".
>>
>>46455593
Call it 'character development'. The intelligent guy decides to take more of a leadership role.
>>
>>46455593

Have you talked to the group?

This is not an IC problem, it's an OoC problem. A healthy group should always have a good amount of OoC chatter (between games, generally) about how they're playing their characters, what their motivations for RPing are, what sorts of future events or interactions they're driving towards, and what they think is important in the game.
>>
>>46455593
...So what you're saying is, your character is the protagonist of a novel, and not part of a team.

Of fucking COURSE you should make everyone feel included IT IS A TEAM GAME YOU FUCKING MONG
>>
>>46455586
Completely and totally wrong.
>>
>>46455593
>I didn't want to keep breaking character by making long winded speeches about tactics, strategy

So your complaint is that your team mates can't read your mind? How are they supposed to work off of your plans if you don't explain them.

>Oh no, I made a character who refuses to communicate like a human bean, why do aren't the other players doing exactly what I want?!
>>
>>46455442
have you tried asking them, outside the game, after the session ended or before it begins, that you are trying to roleplay a silent character that actually does stuff and sometimes their character might choose to follow him?

in alternative you can try to add third-person comments of your character appearing a bit nervous, active, acting as if he had an idea but didn't want to push it onto others.
if they keep roleplaying their characters as insensible fucks then your PCs is just going to be ignored for the whole campaign unless he decides by himself to change attitude.
>>
>>46455618
If I could do that, I would consider it.
IRL, I'm not the super confident type, I'm just good at clever ideas and wacky plots that also work.
I don't want to be the one everyone looks at when shit goes wrong and gets hit with "Hey, what do we do?". I want to be the plan guy, the one that goes to the boss and says "Hey, I got a radical idea", not be the boss.
>>46455634
I talked at length to the dm. I had assumed this was an IC thing, not OOC. I'll talk to the dm about that. There is a lot of talking at the table, but it's usually not about what is going on at the table.
>>46455638
And I did that for 6 months real time, 3 months game time. Then, I decided to try and live up to my character ideas, waited for the group to engage in rp (which never happened), then started doing things myself because I knew they would work with minimum risk or casualties.
>>46455658
No, my complaint is that the people at the table won't TALK to me. That unless I round them up IC and say "Listen to me, I have shit to say", I don't get any roleplay or interaction. I want to be quiet, not a mute or a bullhorn that literally spends 20 minutes explaining a idea to an audience, then not receiving any feedback or questions other than "Sounds good, lets do that!".
>>46455751
>if they keep roleplaying their characters as insensible fucks then your PCs is just going to be ignored for the whole campaign unless he decides by himself to change attitude.
Somehow, I figured this was the answer I would get.
Fucking hell.
>>
>>46455783
>>IRL, I'm not the super confident type, I'm just good at clever ideas and wacky plots that also work.
Wrong. The fact you're confident enough to go your own way in-game already proves otherwise. Confidence is like a muscle, you need to build it to use it.
>>
File: 1437663956062.jpg (56 KB, 762x388) Image search: [Google]
1437663956062.jpg
56 KB, 762x388
>>46453715
>>
>>46455810
I'm confident enough to risk my own life doing something I think will work.
I'm not confident enough to be a LEADER and be responsible for the group.
There is a difference. One is stress and worry and more stress for me, the other is well lets go shit will happen.
>>
>>46455783
>I want to be the plan guy, the one that goes to the boss and says "Hey, I got a radical idea"

Your complaint is that you want people to follow the plans, you want to explain the plans, you just don't want to explain it to the party. Like I don't get this, you want the party to follow your plans because they're good, you just don't want to ever have to explain to your party what the plan actually is because it involves a lot of talking? Have your character actually develop and open up to the people they're trusting their life with.
>>
>>46454367
Has the armorist received massive upheaval changes since the first SoP book?

Because it's a soulknife that can also produce armor but in exchange gains the flaws of 3.5's.

Nearly all their talents are fucking "oh you're allowed this one thing on the list that we gave you that was shorter than the fucking CRB's magic weapon/armor lists.

Its ability to access partial sphere casting is the only thing keeping it out of Tier 6, because it sure as FUCK isn't actually good at its main set of class abilities.
>>
>>46455846
Then build your fucking confidence.
>>
>>46455853
I remember people liking the armorist months ago. What happened?
>>
Is it a good idea to change combat maneuvers to provoke only on miss? Like in general, is it worthwhile, is it important enough to grow your list of houserules with, etc?
>>
>>46454513
It ain't fucking unrelated when all except the spheres-casting part of the class is *exactly* these other classes except worse.

Although it does seem like technically the Armorist means there's TWO classes capable of using tech weapons without losing both balls on the bullet's way to shooting themselves in the foot.

I will give it that, at least, as that can offer quite a bit.
>>
>>46455880
Unless they're level 1 and learning the game, nobody does anything they're not specialized in anyway.
>>
>>46455847
>Your complaint is that you want people to follow the plans, you want to explain the plans, you just don't want to explain it to the party
No, my complaint is that I don't want to exhaustively chatter to my group when my pc wouldn't be doing it, and that I would rather not be the ONLY one coming up with ideas.
You also managed to convenient miss the rest of my group problems, so kindly read the post again.
>>46455861
Says everyone ever, as though it happens simply because you say so.
It's become a loggerhead, but the above anon recommended talking to the group, so I shall.
>>
>>46455880
You are like the 11 millionth person to ask that, or maybe you're all the same person asking it 11 million times.

Yes it's fine. Try googling "recommended houserules for pathfinder."
>>
>>46455880
Well, it might make them worthwhile in some specific scenarios, but generally, unless you're specialized in the combat maneuver in question, even if it works and doesn't provoke and AoO, you're still better off dealing damage instead.
>>
>>46455928
Sorry I did see it posted here first and it made me curious.
>>
>>46455404
CHArbinger when?
>>
>>46455872
They tried building one and thus looked in depth at their mechanics.

There was nothing in these depths.
>>
>>46455944
Daring Hero
>>
>>46455953
Yeah, I took a look at it and couldn't figure out why people were hyping it up versus the psychic armory soulknife. Speaking of the latter, that's still good, right?
>>
File: Suffering.jpg (71 KB, 351x319) Image search: [Google]
Suffering.jpg
71 KB, 351x319
>>46455944
>>
File: latest.jpg (6 KB, 200x163) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
6 KB, 200x163
>discussion about "quiet, intelligent" character
>wanted to make a quiet character to take up the role of "team dad" and cover as many supportive roles as an Alchemist could
>figure I'll be able to toss in a few good lines here and there, and mostly just do my job
>mfw I'm instead stuck taking the lead, and feeling awkward because Items to be the one one doing things for huge chunks of time
>mfw being the least competent character overall, yet simultaneously being the most proactive and "useful"

I kind of miss just being one of the side characters making snarky comments, stabbing/blastimg anything that looks dangerous, and making a relevant skill check in whatever area of expertise I have. How do you leader types even do this? I feel like I'm constantly hogging the spotlight, even though I know for a fact we'd just stand in an empty room for an hour if I waited.
Being effectively two characters in one doesn't help this feeling.
>>
>>46455981
Protip: Most leader types are like you initially. They just know that nobody else would do it.
>>
>>46455967
It's extremely powerful, but I don't actually like it. Obsoletes all the other archetypes and combat styles short of tech-sniper warsouls (it simply can't do the same thing. However the psy-armory is way stronger within its own range/reach).

Actually more a fan of the Living Legend for that reason; rather versatile and interesting, that one.
>>
>>46455853
There have been several good Archetypes since then
>>
>>46456067
>Living Legend
What's this hot new archetype about?
>>
>Soul of Wrath (Ex): A brutality blade uses his Charisma instead of his Wisdom for any soulknife ability he gains, such as blade skills that rely on Wisdom for determining save DC. He also uses his Charisma instead of his Wisdom for abilities gained from prestige classes that advance his mind blade.
I'm stupid. Does this mean that high psionics brutal blades use charisma for everything instead of wisdom?
>>
>>46456132
every day you pick two generic hero roles (seriously, like "the trickster and the archmage"). Each one offers a bunch of abilities and a different soul-weapon type, which also means you can have at least two different enhancement setups every day.

It's fully INT based, btw, and there's an Aegis version, the "host of heroes", though that one's a little less good (you only get some of your bonuses slowly building up as you kill shit in encounters, IF you keep away from any role taboos, and you lose them all when you rest so unless there's 4-5 encounters a day you'll have like nothing to speak of)
>>
>>46456209
Where can I find this?
>>
>>46455853
Well, one thing which the Armorist has the advantage in is the ability to boost his Casting with a summoned/bound staff at most any point, and the ability to later apply staff enchants to weapons, and extra dimensional storage makes transporting and keeping goods save less of a hassle.

Personally, I think they should've just either given you a few of the item enhancements for free, and the ability to alter them on the fly.

Also, Tier 6 is an exaggeration and you know it. It'd be closer to Tier 5 without its Casting, since it can at least hit things and take damage to the same relative consistency of a Fighter, except with more damage type versatility.
>>
>>46456166
From what I can parse, yes.
>>
>>46456344
Okay then, that's kinda neat. Another character to the pile.
>>
>>46456319
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11s0QOvYSzcOZNxyhqrKnJrIg-jROgdUxM0o8jUHRdzM/edit#
>>
allright this is going sound a bit CANCEROUS:

can you point me to an enjoyable let's play D&D/Pathfinder youtube series?

i am mainly looking for examples on how to roleplay and voice characters in a fantasy combat (i always roleplay my character in the same tone and what i lack are honestly ideas and examples) but also for pure entertainment while waiting for my next session tomorrow.
Perhaps comparing DMing and party dynamics with another group will give me ideas on how to behave in mine.
>>
Is there a way to pin Perform (Dance) to another attribute, like Dexterity?

I want to be the graceful dancer I was born to be, but 10 Cha ain't gonna cut it.
>>
>>46456637
Agile Dancer trait from Path of War: Expanded.
>>
>>46456637
do you mind 3PP
>>
>>46456637
Trait: Agile Dancer (social)
>You can make Perform (dance) checks in place of Acrobatics checks, and can use the higher of your Dexterity or Charisma modifiers when making Perform (dance) checks.
>>
>>46456637
For 1pp only, Clever Wordplay lets you use INT instead of CHA
>>
>>46456209
Do note that the Aegis version also has initiating so it's still damn strong. Just less good at dping the roles.
>>
my group is starting and the DM is new to pathfinder, what's a good prewritten adventure that's not rise of the runelords (a few players have already done that one)
>>
>>46456961
Curse of the crimson throne? Not Wrath of the Righteous, I've heard Mythic makes it too easy, so you'll want a bit more experience under your belt before trying to modify it to make it more of a challenge.
>>
>>46451445
This image makes me far more aroused than a image without exposed vagina should.
>>
>>46456961
Shards of Sin, the follow up AP.
>>
>>46456996
Have I got a genre for you.
>>
>>46456961

Curse of the Crimson Throne is a good choice. Jade Regent is also pretty good, assuming that you get rid of the clunky, useless caravan rules. Reign of Winter can be great fun as well, but it has some pretty silly moments here and there.
>>
>Starting at 1st level, the harbinger gains an insight bonus on attack rolls equal to 1/2 her Harbinger initiation modifier (minimum +1).

>She gains a +1 insight to attack and damage rolls when initiating strikes and counters from her dark focus discipline.

Insight bonuses don't stack, so Dark Focus is a rather useless feature.
>>
>>46457124
It was an error, one of them's becoming untyped.
>>
>>46457023
>not sure if puffy vulva or dat bulge
>>
>>46457124
The damage add is kind of important.
>>
>>46457199
You gain your initiation modifier to damage as an Insight bonus later on also, so it's still worthless.
>>
>>46457124
....and why not just make it a 3/4 BAB class to begin with?
>>
Is there any really good material to make your main weapon out of?

Adamantine is something to have for backup but doesn't really help in the middle of combat unless you're some weird sunder build.
>>
File: 1448831792804.png (917 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1448831792804.png
917 KB, 1280x720
I know crafting mundane items is a pile of ass, but I need to make the best mundane craftsman possible because reasons. Any tips ?
>>
>>46457251
Harbinger already is one.
>>
>>46457255
Except against golems and other things that have DR/adamantine.

Actually, I have found more use for adamatine weapons out of combat than in combat, especially knives.
>>
>>46455981
For the players who worry that they hog the spotlight as a leader type character, remember that successful and good leaders know how to delegate. No leader can lead a team they don't know the strengths of, and a little humility goes a long way. Part of your position as the leader is being able to toss the spotlight to the other characters and give them cues to work with to step into the spotlight.

This works well for a support character since you're usual playstyle is trying to make others more effective anyway. You can play up those other things that can get the other players more immersed in their characters.
>>
>>46457263
My bad, I misread.
>>
>>46457166
That's Ramza dressed as a priest.
Note the hair flip.
>>
>>46457257
Artisan, though it is 3pp
>>
>>46455981
The leader of my current crew tries to get as much attention as possible even at work. And she always acts better than all of the rest of us and especially my goblin. That is why I am devising a plan to wipe them all out, they should have known better than to step up against the Goblin horde.
>>
File: 1451540469429.jpg (100 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
1451540469429.jpg
100 KB, 500x499
>>46454669
>"Standard monsters" already have to be tailored to parties of mixed caster progressions and noncasters
>Dipping for initiator levels takes more effort than metamagic or hexes, which are just plain BETTER for full casters
>Most of the traditions are nonmagical, each supernatural one is limited to one set of thematically and mechanically linked tricks
>Each tradition gets access to some maneuvers to control spacing, boost damage, counter, etc, making nonmagical initiators just as viable
>>
So Metamorph is pretty terrible, but sometimes I like being a dumb martial and the extended + early access polymorph stuff sounds pretty nice. Ideas on building one?
>>
>>46456632
I am new to pathfinder so my opinions may be bad. But the reason why I wanted to start playing was I watch Tabletop with Will Wheaton and he did a custom campaign called Ashes of Valcana (spelling may be off) on YouTube.
>>
>>46457421
allright thanks for the answer, i will check him out.
>>
>>46457410
Play a spherescaster with Alteration instead
>>
File: bazooka final01.jpg (68 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
bazooka final01.jpg
68 KB, 1600x900
Alright, so, War Soul and Psychic Armory are compatible; that much is clear. However, something I noticed that's a bit... weird.

See, we all know how Psychic Armory works, and we all know how War Soul works - one gives you a ton of floating mind blades that have attack and damage based on Wisdom, and the other gives you initiating, also based on wisdom.

However, War Soul also gives access to Discipline Blade Shapes, which allows you to reshape your mind blade into a discipline weapon. If you have access to Tempest Gale, firearms count as a discipline weapon for you. And since Firearms is shockingly all-encompassing, it covers early, advanced, modern, siege, and tech weapons all in one.

So... is there anything stopping a Psychic Armory War Soul like this from shaping his panoply into firearms? Because if not, you can run around with a bunch of mentally created rocket launchers, cannons, machine guns, and nuclear resonators.
>>
>>46457257
I assume you mean using the Craft skill instead of item feats. Get the amazing tools of manufacture. Go wizard and take fabricate. Yes, hurr wizard is a meme answer, but it's legitimately the best mundane craftsman possible with Int focus and several spells that boost crafting, like Crafter's Fortune or Fabricate.

If you meant crafting with absolutely no magic whatsoever, then I don't have a lot to suggest, just pump Craft and get masterwork tools.
>>
>>46456556
Thanks!
>>
>>46457674
There was some discussion about that before, check the old threads for "rocket launcher".
>>
>>46457663

No 3pp.
>>
>>46457674
>The following blade skills are not available to a psychic armory: Alter Blade, Deceptive Blade, Discipline Blade Shapes, Emulate Melee Weapon, Emulate Ranged Weapon, Enhanced Range, Focused Offense, Interrupting Throw, Mindflayer, Telekinetic Blade, and Telekinetic Bolt.

So, to answer your question, yes.
Mind you, it even says by RAW "cosmetically they can look however they are imagined" so there's nothing stopping them being guns or rocket launchers, you just don't get stuff like touch targeting, AoE bursts on hit, or x4 crit multipliers.
>>
>>46453379
Have you not heard all the Ssalarn bitching?

Arcforge is a mess and Akasha suffers from wildly varying internal balance and builds that are only 'good' if you fixate madly on them (Hand Cannon blasters, ANY Daevic build)
>>
>>46457873
Thanks for the clarification, friend. Doesn't stop a War Soul from making a tech weapon, but it DOES stop a PsyArm from doing it.
>>
>>46454554
>It's fae space, if you rub their belly you'll feel muscle and maybe organ, but if you were to reach inside her hollow back to that same space you'll find nothing there.

So what happens when a halfling crafter refits the hollow in a huldra to be a cozy little home?
>>
>>46457928
I did find it a little weird that the only thing people ever talked about positively with Akasha were "HAND CANNONS DUDE". Nothing else, no talk of positioning potential like you see with PoW stuff, just "DUDE HAND CANNONS LMAO".

I think I might just ban Ssalarn-written stuff from my 'DSP only' games.
>>
>>46457294
Delegating is already the order of things, since between the inquisitor, summoner and my homunculus I always have someone to throw at a problem. It just feels weird being the main driving force as a character that only just recently left his mom's basement. Maybe it would feel less weird if the rest of the party communicated more IC and OOC, and maybe I'm just trying to desperately cling to a group because it's the only one I could find with a tolerable GM.

>>46457386
Spotlight hogs that want all the attention and more are the worst. My first ttrpg experience got absolutely shafted because of one obnoxious faggot that kept trying to be the center of attention all the time.
>>
>>46456067
I'm an AugBlade guy myself. I'd also take AugBlade over PsyArm in almost any gestalt, because it works on any weapon your other side might want - for example, Aug Blade plays great with Mystic since Augment Psyche boosts your Spellcraft for Mystic Artifice. You can even go Gunsmoke Mystic and get a gun that counts as a mindblade, giving you access to Sleeping Goddess boosts, which is fairly potent since you now have a gun with access to easy, free enchantment and things like Sleeping Goddess Empowerment.
>>
>>46458124
Why the heck would you do that and not add a manifester or caster to your other side?
>>
>>46458090
>It just feels weird being the main driving force as a character that only just recently left his mom's basement.
Think of it this way: Your character's mom was right about them all along.
>>
>>46457674
PsyArm can't take Discipline Blade Shapes.
>>
>>46458150
...Mystic is a manifester? And so is Aug Blade + War Soul, for that matter.

It's a double manifester that's also a magic item crafter and fairly Wis-SAD (you basically just need Wis and then maybe an attack attribute, and I think you can skip your Str/Dex if you grab Focused Offense)
>>
>>46458199
Initiator, rather. Although if you're playing High Psionics (and why would you not be) you can also be a Gifted Blade (technically you can be an Aug Blade + Gifted Blade in place of War Soul but War Soul gives you a lot)

Anyway, I dunno, 'shoot everyone in the face for silly damage within 120 feet' seems like a good spell to me.
>>
>>46458199
Manifest = psionics. Mystic is an initiator

Basically, to explain the point you responded to "why you no T1-T2 broken?"
>>
>>46458199
>>...Mystic is a manifester?
No? It's an initiator.
> And so is Aug Blade + War Soul, for that matter.
See above. Where, exactly, is the manifesting coming from? You haven't mentioned high psionics or gifted blade once so far.

>>46458217
>Anyway, I dunno, 'shoot everyone in the face for silly damage within 120 feet' seems like a good spell to me.
Total waste when you could basically already do that as a soulknife. What you need is more full options, the kind of options that open up to you when you add in manifestation. I'm partial to raging wilder/brutal blade soulknife myself.
>>
>>46458237
>T1-T2 broken
If you theorycraft as hard as you possibly can, I guess. But in general it's nice to simply be able to do more things.
>>
>DM wants to rule that we are still conscious, staggered and with malus on attack from 0 to -constitution hp ( 2 times the constitution at level 5, 3 at 10...).
>we go unconscious at 1 hit point less than that and die at [constitution] away from that
>basically we have way more hp but staggered and sad when benefitting from that bonus hps.
>only for PCs, enemies stay standard health system

is this a good idea or a bad idea?

i argue that it's bad because it gives us free shit, which supposedly should be balanced by stronger encounters, but making the last portion of our HP worse put more focus on initiative and having an early advantage.

Apparently the reason he want to do is because " otherwise i would not know how to describe when an enemy hits you".
Apparently he thinks that when you hit someone with a sword, he loses hits points that can be just him dodging the hit but losing some daily luck as this page seems to suggest http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/variants/woundsAndVigor.html .
>>
>>46458238
Maybe because this is fun and good and it lets me combine two things I like? And again, I'm already a really good magic item crafter who can get FURTHER boosts to both crafting and using magic items through Aug Blade (Augment Psyche for better spellcrafting, Psicrystal Power Source for the ability to use any spell trigger or power trigger item from my own Power Point pool) I've got plenty of access to caster effects, moreso if the DM allows Gifted Blade, and who's running a gestalt game WITHOUT High Psionics?
>>
>>46457984
I wrote the guides for those classes in question, and people fixating on one thing only are missing a lot of the point. The Vizier is great at BFC (see Light Whip and Ditchdigger Armlets), and can support allies well with Path and Veil choice. Gurus can be absurdly good skillmonkeys, and can inflict many different status effects on enemies. Daevics are less versatile as a whole, but can do a lot more than just MDK unless you again focus way too tightly. It's just infamous for my 1200-DPR Wrath sim.

Ssalarn put together a system that works a lot like building blocks. Most pieces really don't do much alone, the few that do (such as the Hand Cannon) stand out. It's when you get 2-3 veils working together in synergy that you get the best results (Polar Snowshoes suck alone, but with Light Whip and Frostbite Halo are solid).
>>
>>46458238
"High psionics" is the DEFAULT ASSUMPTION of how the game works.
>>
>>46458260
It's more the implication of "You're doing it wrong" by not having casting/manifesting in your build that cheeses me off
>>
>>46458276
>Apparently he thinks that when you hit someone with a sword, he loses hits points that can be just him dodging the hit but losing some daily luck as this page seems to suggest
You mean how hitpoints has ALWAYS BEEN, since Basic D&D?
>>
Jesus Christ why is Silver Crane so good.
>>
>>46458381
Generally because the folks who are like
>BOY MY BARBARIAN/SOULKNIFE IS FUN... but my friends are all doing nearly as much damage as me and are far more versatile besides
never seem to understand that it's all on their own shoulders. That the party isn't actively trying to outshine them, but that they decided to be retarded during character building and thus are not even remotely on the level they should be for a gestalt game.

And yeah, I'm going to get the same old responses of GESTALT IS FOR WHATEVER WE WANT IT TO BE FOR but that doesn't change the fact that when you build a gestalt character who is hyperfocused in one thing, he's going to be a super weak gestalt character.

>>46458516
Because lots of enemies are Evil, and thus take 50% extra damage from sacred damage. This means it can be deceptively more powerful than it looks.
>>
>>46458516
Shoot everything within 600 feet!
>>
>>46458516
Because it came from angels!
>>
>>46458516
It's literally the [Good] Discipline, anon.
>>
>>46458516
Because it was invented by celestials?
>>
>>46458566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY
>>
>>46458516
Japanese paladins folded it over one million times.
>>
>Japanese patron Kami is Amaterasu
>Historical last name of Ameiko's family is Amatatsu

WOWZERS NICE GOING PAIZO.
>>
>>46458666
Oh, so edgy.
>>
>>46457966
>not being a gnome who converts the huldra into a suit of living armor
>>
>>46458729
...so you're complaining that Japanese names sound alike?
>>
>>46458548
What? How?
>>
>>46458806
Silver Crane Spiral + Sufficient range extenders = shoot everyone in the face in a huge radius.

Mythic takes it over the top thanks to that "x5 range increment" trick. You can actually go higher than 600 ft with the right gestalts.
>>
>>46458776

I'm complaining that Paizo clearly knew what they were going for by making the heir to Not!Japan clearly named after the big name goddess of Japan.

It's like how they literally have Sun Wukong in their setting, or Daikitsu is quite clearly Inari.
>>
How viable do you all think it would be to play an initiator as a "blaster lite"... as in, taking disciplines like Black Seraph, Elemental Flux, and Veiled Moon and only choosing maneuvers that are similar to blasty spells, like the ranged touch attacks and area attacks and whatnot? This is assuming a group where the only other person that's any good at optimization is playing a low-tier class this time, and the GM can barely remember to use monsters' abilities half the time? I know it's not optimal, but in this group that's not really an issue, and it sounds like it could be fun. Low levels looks a little rough since there aren't very many maneuvers that are self-contained attacks (looks like most of those start at 2nd level maneuvers).

Anybody tried this before, or have any advice to make it work?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.