[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: starvingDM.jpg (280 KB, 632x472) Image search: [Google]
starvingDM.jpg
280 KB, 632x472
Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

/5eg/ DM Edition
Show your DM some love, tell us stories of some of the coolest things you as a DM or your DM has done in a game in terms of encounter/dungeon/etc design. <3
>>
>>46400306
In Edge of the Empire, our GM let me start up a droid factory. And switch droid bodies. And finally manufacture my own body. By the end of the game, I was a freaking liger with a ship's cannon. In terms of armor and firepower, I was a ship, not a PC.
>>
What does he mean last a minute? Does he mean exactly one minute? Does a class feature last more or less than a minute if it's a passive feature with an active use?
>>
>>46400457
Context, anon. Provide some context.
>>
>>46400306
>DMing / design thread

how convenient, that's what I'm doing now

>party is aboard a merchant vessel
>it runs aground in a storm
>captain of the ship says there's a lighthouse that should have been lit, asks party to investigate while they wait for repairs
>party get to lighthouse, it's a purely social/exploration encounter, not a dungeon/combat site

What reason could there be for the lighthouse being dim, and what could the party discover while they're there?
>>
>>46400470
Last thread. Some guy proposed a bard subclass that would let them copy class features in exchange for one bardic inspiration die. But only if the class feature lasted a minute.
>>
>Run Death House
>Three people, cleric, fighter, monk
>Cleric runs up the trapdoor, smashes a wall, sees rats, runs through scythe blades, drops, gets torn apart by choking and suffocating rats.
>Fighter has a clever idea of hiding in one of the crypts in the dungeon and moving the stone slab in front, entombing himself.
>The monk with mobile just outruns the Shambling Mound
>The mound goes for the Fighter who it sees seal itself in, smashes through the slab in a turn.
>Fighter dies in an empty tomb.
>Monk with kiting just kills the mound, goes up the attic, and dies on the second scythe blade trap.
Jesus, no kidding is this lethal.
>>
>>46400482
There's a chronic shortage of oil in the area and the lighthouse-keeper is making do with what he has because he swore a vow to keep it on every night.

The fire elemental inside the lighthouse is depressed because the mermaids it likes to watch from the shore haven't been seen in weeks.

A paranoid king has ordered the lighthouse to be put out in the hopes of causing smugglers and enemy ships to run aground.
>>
File: Zombie.png (954 KB, 656x965) Image search: [Google]
Zombie.png
954 KB, 656x965
What would you guys think of a "refluffed" necromancer wizard as a Warband Leader? Just replacing undead with Rookies and bringing them along on adventures for a share of the loot and glory. Basically converting a full caster to just replace their spell slots with Recruits as though they were using all their slots every day to summon skeletons and other undead.

Is there a noticeable balance problem with removing the Undead typing from your minions? The only obvious one is that clerics can't wipe out your army in a single action. It's not really any different from amassing a large group of hirelings other than the lack of having to pay them and them needing to be alive to recruit them instead of dead to raise them.
>>
>>46400482
>The Terrasque!!!
>>
File: umbral blot.jpg (63 KB, 604x603) Image search: [Google]
umbral blot.jpg
63 KB, 604x603
What's a monster from a past edition that you want to see converted over?
>>
>>46400620
Why are these men following you?
>>
File: bestlich.jpg (86 KB, 1024x535) Image search: [Google]
bestlich.jpg
86 KB, 1024x535
>>46400620
Saw this in a thread while ago but was on phone so didn't bother to comment. Biggest problem here is actual fucking people have experiences and their own wants and needs. Aside from that, the thing about a zombie is a zombie doesn't give a fuck. A zombie will suicide for you and walk off the edge of a cliff, it will fight until it has 0 hitpoints. Actual people have fears, and will run away. If you balance them so they never raise in power level, then mechanically and thematically they're always a bunch of fucking weenies, ones who are likely to break under pressure. If you don't give them their own wants and needs and the ability to break under pressure and flee and not follow orders (which would all be a migraine to balance and work with), then they're not really humans, and at that point, why not just be a necromancer?

If you're looking to be some kind of cultist leader, best bet is some weird GOO Warlock that has some new mechanics added based around Create Thrall probably. A large cult following would be the only fluff-friendly way to get a bunch of living meatbags that are willing to die and bleed and do your every command.
>>
>>46400779
para- and quasi-elementals
Also the Tempest
>>
>>46400526
Rage. Action Surge. Cunning Action. Sneak Attack? And that's barely the tip of the iceberg. I would never allow it
>>
>>46400964
As a side note, as I forgot to add this in the original, the second problem with going with the Cultist Leader route is it isn't a very good character concept and wouldn't translate well into a class. The idea of being a cultist leader translates better as like a end game character goal compared to a mechanical class you opt into. A level 20 necromancer offering eternal life to his followers or a level 20 GOO Warlock (or undying light if you wanna be a goody two shoes) preaching the wonders if only they could see like he does to his followers is a pretty cool end-game goal.
>>
>>46401058
The easiest way to balance it would be letting it copy only class features gained at levels lower than the copy feature.
>>
my group grew to 9 PCs this week. Help me cope, /tg/
>>
>>46401118
I'm running CoS with 8 pcs. Anon, how can I help?
>>
>>46401142
I'm also running CoS. Anything different you're doing? This is my first time with so many players, a lot of talking over and people not paying attention.
>>
>>46400932
>>46400964
>Why are these men following you?
>actual fucking people have experiences and their own wants and needs

Well, the way I envisioned it was that the player and his war host are actually a small contingent of an adventurer's league or a mercenary band. None of them are exceptional but they all work together and share in the loot, slowly gaining renown for their company and attracting new prospective members along the way. The "necromancer" himself would just be another member of the company, and likely the administrator or organizer providing light magical support in combat. Since he wouldn't have any of his higher spell slots (since they are all being pumped into maintaining the "zombies") he's just another kind of weak member of the company. They all share in the loot and distribute it among the company, never advancing in levels but gain health and damage from the undead buffs the necromancer gives and attracting new members.

The other players would be the real Heroes of the company, possibly taking small squads under their tutelage and serving as the real high ranking members of the company alongside the Commander (Necromancer).
>>
File: BATOFGOTHAM.jpg (35 KB, 415x503) Image search: [Google]
BATOFGOTHAM.jpg
35 KB, 415x503
>>46401118
>>46401142
split the group man
i'd have a fucking migraine
i can barely handle five, let alone NINE demons who are hellbent on ruining everything you hold dear to your heart
im convinced PC's are quixotic horrors from another dimension, sent here solely to incur my wrath
>>
>>46401118
Take 5 of them and tell them to form their own group. There's no reason to ever run a group of 9 players or more. Honestly, any more than 6 and you should be telling them to split into smaller groups.
>>
>>46401211
>>46401253
I am too beta to tell people to leave the group. My hope is that the 3 more experienced players get annoyed and drop out, because I like the new players more.
>>
File: saves your excuses for hell.png (2 MB, 1280x1295) Image search: [Google]
saves your excuses for hell.png
2 MB, 1280x1295
>>46401300
Man up you fuckin puss puss
>>
>>46401117
I think the ones I listed are all level 2 to 3 features
>>
New DM about to start a campaign and my players asked for what's fair game for character creation. I told them that only official WotC content is allowed:

- PHB
- SCAG
- Elemental Evil Player's Companion
- DMG villainous options
- CoS Haunted Background

Have I missed anything?
>>
>>46401356
There are some races (aasimar and eladrin) in the DMG as well.
>>
File: The Journey.png (2 MB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
The Journey.png
2 MB, 2000x1125
>>46401205
Oh, and of course once you can create greater undead I would start promoting expecially competent rookies that had survived a while to Veterans and give them the new features of whatever kind of undead they would replace. Ghouls become Shock Troops, Ghasts and Wights Captains, Mummies are Priests, etc.

The whole idea was vaguely based on the Barbarian Hordes of old editions or the old Leadership and Thrallherd shenanigans.
>>
>Out of the Abyss
>party goes to Sorcere to get Gromph's grimoire
>PC with -1 Intelligence modifier is now stuck in permanent maze spell forever
>dark void containing the maze cannot be dispelled or destroyed by any means
What is the party supposed to do in this situation?
>>
>>46401300
The #1 advice anyone in this thread can give you is to not fucking do it. It's dumb as shit. Step it up dude, I totally get anxiety about telling people to leave but honestly nine players is like letting 9 feral rats gnaw on your bones, continuously for all eternity.

tips if you're gonna keep being a bitch:
get rid of any semblance of a good plot, make everything a hammy hack and slash with blatantly obvious villains and a simple as fuck plot
a. BIG LICH GONNA TAKE OVER THE WORLD BLAHH
b. BIG DRAGON GONNA TAKE OVER THE WORLD RAAAAAGH
c. ARMY OF X SLOWLY INVADING AAHHHH

B. Turn timer, tell everyone to plan their god damn turns to keep everyone at attention, and then give everyone 30 seconds or so for their turn. You can stop it if they have questions or something like that.

C. Mandate only RP talk while they're trawling through a dungeon or some other non-combat scenario.
>>
>>46401415
I think I might get a gavel or a bell
>>
File: sweating-jon.gif (4 MB, 406x339) Image search: [Google]
sweating-jon.gif
4 MB, 406x339
Hey /5eg/.

So our DM has been dropping heavy hints that he wants to try to be a PC next time we play, and I volunteered despite never having done it before, and generally not being a very creative person.

Where can I get some help/general tips on how to be a good DM? I mean I've picked up some stuff playing with him, but I'm still not confident. I only did it because he honestly seemed a little fed up last time.

Also, I'm almost certain he doesn't come to the 4chains, would it be cheap of me to borrow shit that I've seen posted here? Again, I'm not too creative and I wanna have something half decent for him to have fun with, so he can go back to being a great DM.

Sorry if this is a dumb post, I don't come here too often.
>>
>>46401356
You might want to mention that some of the villainous DMG options don't really work well for player characters. But they can still be fun if they want a good old anti-hero archetype.
>>
File: 1364740416404.png (557 KB, 1014x3387) Image search: [Google]
1364740416404.png
557 KB, 1014x3387
>>46401508
>>
File: confusedwizard.jpg (46 KB, 435x571) Image search: [Google]
confusedwizard.jpg
46 KB, 435x571
>>46401508
If you're a new DM steal literally everything.
Fucking nab it all, or just run a module like CoS or even lost mines of phandelver
once you've stolen everything and start DM'ing it, learn why things work the way they do, why you think the person who made it did X, and once you've sufficiently mastered the art of being an Arcane Trickster DM you can upgrade and make your own shit
>>
>>46400482
Lightkeeper tripped and killed himself by accident. Have to alert authorities. and since they usually live there anyway you gotta convince some poor fuck to move in
>>
>>46401508
steal shit

just change the name around a bit to make it not so fucking obvious
>>
>>46401356
Out of the Abyss has two Underdark-centric background features and two new weapons.
>>
>>46401394
Are Eladrin just High elves with Misty Step instead of a cantrip?
>>
>>46401508
Try for a one off, not a grand adventure. Plan a single good adventure.

If you're good at it you can do more if you want later, but a misplanned 'epic' will be terrible because it'll be unfinished with plothooks that never get explained and such.
>>
>>46401179
The main thing I've done is taken dungeons and doubled the sizes. For example, death house squares went from 5 feet to 10. The house's dimensions may have been weird as such, but gameplay wise it works better. If players complain of disproportionate halls/rooms, tell them to make their own smaller group.

Beyond that, I require that my players take a max of 30 to 45 seconds to decide what to do on their turn. If they take too long, they lose their turn. They learned quickly to manage.

I'm pretty bad at memorizing spells, so i required on their spell sheets to put which components are needed, concentration, saving throw (and if so, which one) or spell attack. If I ask because my memory slips, it better be on your sheet. If not, sorry, you can't cast your spell. It doesn't happen often, but it saves time so no one has to look it up.

Beyond that, just be aware that with more players, CR for encounter will be skewed in favor of the party since they have more actions per round. 1 tougher monster will be ganged up on. Clever use of more monsters is better and keeps more players interested. Also, the DMG says to use one multiplier lower for 6+ parties.

Also, be willing to fudge numbers.

>>46401211
I don't have a problem with them. We've been having a good time. I just set a few ground rules which they acknowledge because it's a big party. Mainly I ask them to not split up since tracking split parties is a headache enough with 4players and they agreed. That and bite some of the more obvious plot hooks. They have to be willing to accommodate you for taking up such a chore. If they refuse, you have shitty friends. Dump the player.
>>
File: 1459390474067.jpg (41 KB, 487x892) Image search: [Google]
1459390474067.jpg
41 KB, 487x892
>>46401508
Relax. One of the hardest parts of being a DM is knowing your audience and making a game they can enjoy. And if you've known these guys for a while you've already got they part down pretty easily.

Believe it or not, having been a player first makes it VASTLY easier to DM because you know a lot about what motivates them.

As for what to run and all the planning, don't be afraid to use premade material a few times to get the hang of encounter design and dugeon and adventuring plans and hooks.

Just play all your NPCs like they are a character you always wanted to play but could never find a way to make an adventurer out of them. It's a lot of fun and you can be things that the normal character system doesn't really allow for.

And Last but NOT Least, the 5e DMG is actually a really well written resource for new and old DMs alike and can be great inspiration if you're not quite sure where to start or really help you nail down the details if you are.
>>
>>46401640
Like generic weapons or magic weapons?
>>
>>46401738
Mundane weapons commonly used by derro. They actually have a blurb where they explain how they work instead of just being in the derro statblock, so I'd say they were meant to be used.
>>
>>46401555
>>46401567
>>46401637
>>46401670
>>46401701

Wow, thanks a bunch guys. I was worried that copying ideas was gonna make me a huge faggot. Obviously not gonna copy them letter for letter, I just needed some inspiration because again, I'm not good at coming up with stuff on the fly.

I'll spend the next few days searching around and cherry picking a few ideas. And I honestly never thought to read the 5e DM manual, so thanks for that.
>>
>>46401900
>Planning on being a 1st time DM
>not thinking of reading the DMG

That was your only mistake. Best of luck, anon.
>>
>>46401058
>>46401058
Rage. +2 damage in melee and resistance for a bit... On a bard its lackluster

Action surge. A whole nother action! That a bard can't use to cast a second spell....

Cunning action. Pretty good, allows kiting, but a ranged character should not have a huge need to run around.

Sneak attack. On a full caster, if you think getting one shot to deal and extra few d6s of damage on your crap melee is broken...

Knee jerk reactions are not good criticism.
>>
>>46395578
>Yes, but by RAW it is possible
Yes, but by RAW it takes 20 days to make each magnifying glass.
>>
>>46402123
>Action surge. A whole nother action! That a bard can't use to cast a second spell....
Action Surge can be used to cast two leveled spells in a single turn. The spell-per-turn limitations only apply when you cast a spell as a bonus action.
>>
>>46402123
>Action surge. A whole nother action! That a bard can't use to cast a second spell....
Why not?
>>
I have been running a campaign for the past 6 or so months, the first one I have ever ran. One of the players is a good friend of mine, but recently he has shown up for two sessions in two months. I feel that the other players are getting tired of him showing little interest and it is influencing play. Should I ask him to leave and come back later if he has more time and is more interested?

He played last week and his character is stuck with his party in the wilderness, but this time he said he will not be playing several hours before the campaign. What should I do with his character?
>>
>>46402210
Have his character follow the party until a good point to leave them (semi-)permanently.
>>
>>46402114

Yeah, it was pretty fucking stupid. I was more concerned with how the fuck I was gonna come up with a decent story.

Thanks again.
>>
>making my own campaign for first time ever
>"and so the party ends up in a small village, which... oh god fuck what happens next"

And that's where I've been for six hours of procrastination
>>
>>46402265

BANDITS

ALWAYS BANDITS
>>
>>46402265
steal something

failing that, zombies
>>
File: Dark Aegis.png (66 KB, 1097x619) Image search: [Google]
Dark Aegis.png
66 KB, 1097x619
Just came up with a new homebrew spell. What parts need rebalancing? What parts are overpowered? Rip it apart.
>>
>>46402259
As a new DM I must say that Adam Koebel's Office Hours and Being Everything Else shows helped me a lot to understand the role of the GM and what traps I should avoid. Obviously many do not like his style, but I happen to be a fan of character/story driven campaigns. I recommend checking him out.
>>
>>46402361
Change the damage type to untyped. Or some other way of indicating that immunity and resistance don't apply.
>>
>>46402361
>I take damage
Why the fuck would I ever want to cast this? To give an ally a bit of AC? Fuck that, he can take the hit and die like a big boy.
>>
>>46402439
>untyped damage
Not a thing anywhere in 5e.

>>46402361
No one would ever cast this. The damage taken combined with the slot level required is way too much.

Make it 2nd level, forget the duration and damage required. Just make it Shield that can protect others.
>>
>>46402123
>Rage. +2 damage in melee and resistance for a bit... On a bard its lackluster
It allows a melee Bard to Barbarian almost as well as a Barbarian.

But he can. Do you even read class features?

>Cunning action. Pretty good, allows kiting, but a ranged character should not have a huge need to run around.
It allows you to hide as a bonus action. Advantage on your first ranged attack every turn not good enough for you?

>Sneak attack. On a full caster, if you think getting one shot to deal and extra few d6s of damage on your crap melee is broken...
>one shot
Didn't you say the class feature would last a minute? Which means the bard now more or less obsoletes the GRB Arcane Trickster.

But the most important point is how the Bard can reach into his grab bag and pull out the most relevant tool for the job, and do it at least almost as well as the default class. Need a tank? Rage via Barbarian. Need more skills? Expertise the relevant one via Rogue. Need to shit out damage? Action Surge or Divine Smite.

By the way, did you know that Pact Magic and Spellcasting are level 1 class features too?
>>
>>46402442
You can cast it on yourself. Also, there are other features in the game like this. The Oath of the Crown's level 7 feature allows them to take damage instead of an ally as a reaction. This is health to defense, so it's a bit different, but comparable.
>>
>>46402508
Like a Shield of Faith?
>>
>>46402361
Make the AC received scale with the self-damage and remove the part where you can not be immune to the damage. If they resist most of the damage they will grant little AC. For example, each 5 dmg taken = 1 AC.
>>
>>46402361
>take damage to protect against damage
Think about that for a moment
>>
>>46402602
Yeah, that's the point of the spell. It's health for defense. Meant to be an interesting, self-sacrificial shield buff.
>>
File: 1459208693666.png (184 KB, 457x396) Image search: [Google]
1459208693666.png
184 KB, 457x396
>I want to play a class that suits me
>Can't decide
>While everyone tells me about how their characters are insanely powerful by using game mechanics
>tfw I can't think of anything on any class to use up all of the potential

I want to play something I like, something I can roleplay, but I don't want to play something that's not going to be able to do all it's supposed to do and more because of my lack of knowledge, which might lead me to the group bullshitting me.

wat do
>>
>>46402631
What does your party have?

As for class, maybe decide based off of your backstory?
>>
>>46402571
Good idea, although instead of making it resistible, how about I allow the caster to choose how many d10 they take (max 5) and have the spell grant AC equal to the number they chose?
caster takes 1d10 = +1 AC on target
caster takes 2d10 = +2 AC on target
etc.
How does that sound? It adds a bit of versatility to a pretty all-or-nothing spell.
>>
>>46402631
The classes have optimization guides posted online. They are not perfect, but they are great for new players. Check them out, they will help you minmax. 5e is not complex in that regard.
>>
>>46402630
Stabbing yourself to prevent yourself from getting stabbed is kinda ass backwards logic
>>
>>46402675
2d10 is already just a strictly worse Shield of Faith.
>>
>>46402631
Just pick a simple class and play it until you get a good understanding of how the came mechanics work
>>
>>46402696
Shield of faith requires concentration to be maintained, though. This spell just lasts for a set number of rounds.
>>
>>46402668
I still don't know. I don't plan on making up for lack of a certain thing either; I've done that too much.
>>46402719
>>46402679
Guess it is not possible for me yet to play outside the meta?
>>
>>46402361
A wizard at level 7 casting that spell has an average of 30 HP with no con mod. At 12 con its 37, at 14 its 44.

You are asking a wizard to have at least 16 con at level 7 to not knock themselves out when they cast this spell. Spending up to 50 HP and a level 4 spell slot to prevent damage that is likely to be less than 50 (or even 27.5, which is the average for your spell) seems fucking retarded. When is a wizard ever going to cast this? They are going to take a huge amount of damage either way, and its not exactly like wizards can "tank" for other classes. Why would a wizard not just cast shield. Fuck, I'd way rather cast shield 4 times than this once.
>>
Is there a way to cure the effects of Mummy Rot? As far as I understand, the stats you lost are not regained after the curse is removed, it just prevents further damage.
>>
>>46402764
Really, in 5e the only two BAD options are Beastmaster Ranger and Four Elements Monk.

Just pick what you want.
>>
>>46402361
I don't see the value of casting this over just casting shield with a 1st level slot. Battles change drastically round to round so you probably won't even need something like this for more than one or two
>>
>>46402817
Greater Restoration fixes most everything.
>>
>>46402794
It's meant to be a paladin and possibly cleric spell
>>
>>46402819
So neither the party nor the DM will mind/kill me outright if I dont pull off, let's exagerate, 2 spells and 2 insane attacks in one single turn?
>>
>>46402819
>Really, in 5e the only two BAD options are Beastmaster Ranger and Four Elements Monk.
And warlock.
>>
>>46402923
ELDRITCH
>>
>>46402923
Warlocks have Eldritch Blast to carry them from level 1 to endgame, just like a martial has weapon attacks.
>>
>>46402123
> Wrong
> wrong
> wrong
> wrong
Anon.
>>
>>46402895
As long as you making use of your class's abilities you are fine. Any under-performance beyond that is the game's fault and any decent DM will help you fix it.
>>
>>46402950
>>46402941
Maybe he means bladelock.
>>
> a new player entering the campaign wants to play a chaotic neutral drow rogue.

He is a cool guy that I know but - do I trust him with this? I forsee rocks falling in that drow's future.
>>
>>46402895
Unless they're turbomunchkin autists, probably not.

If you want "extremely easy", Barbarian and Fighter are both pretty good. Rogue can pull shenanigans. If you want to do magic, all the casters are fine.

>>46402923
Warlocks aren't dead weight, they're just too frontloaded.
>>
>>46403018
Try just letting it happen. Too many people shit themselves over stereotypes of players they've never even experienced themselves.
>>
>>46401404
>>46401205
>>46400620
I know this is going to fuck up my formatting but what the hell:
I did some number crunching based on what a dedicated necromancer can summon on a day to day basis. Here's a rough summary of troops in the company

Lvl Rookies HP Dmg Vets Capts Warlords
1-4 0
5 3 22 d6+2
6 8 28 d6+5
7 14 29 d6+5
8 18 30 d6+5
9 30 31 d6+6
10 36 32 d6+6
11 28 33 d6+6 6
12 28 34 d6+6 6
13 28 35 d6+7 10
14 28 36 d6+7 10
15 28 37 d6+7 10 2
16 28 38 d6+7 10 2
17 30 39 d6+8 10 2 2
18 36 40 d6+8 10 2 2
19 38 41 d6+8 13 2 2
20 40 42 d6+8 17 2 2

Plus a Bodyguard at 14 from "Command Undead".
And the Commander "Necromancer" as well.

I can see rations becoming a problem fast. And the idea of replacing that many rookies each day when they get decimated is kind of laughable. Keeping them equipped enough to stay effective would cost a fortune. But, such is the life of an adventurer.
>>
>>46402835
>>46402794
If you're a level 13 Paladin, with 21 AC, and you cast Dark Aegis for +5 AC, sure, you sacrifice 5d10 health, but you probably had a high 90 to 100+ HP to begin with at this level, and now there's a good chance that you won't even be hit by attacks at all for the next 5 rounds, if you have 20 Charisma.
>>
>>46403251
3rd times the charm?
>>
>>46403267
Typing with correct spelling/grammar on my phone while on new meds is hard
>>
>>46402885
Shield of Faith feels much better than this but it uses concentration. Deathward at the same level is more general purpose and does not use concentration. Deathward is probably better for squishies and is likely to be a better OH SHIT button for a paladin too, since they are one of the few people that can just heal themselves of 100 HP worth of damage in an action, so if they do get knocked down to 0, they can be nearly full again right after.
>>
>>46403251
Assuming they just don't hit you with magic or things that target your saves instead, and you are literally in a whack off with somebody, wouldn't it be better to just smite them with the spell slot instead? And if your AC is already in the 20s, you are already very hard to hit. Why take the free damage from the spell? I would much rather take the 2-3 attacks worth of damage the spell inflicts and save the slot for something more useful. Like killing the enemy faster so that it doesn't even get that many attacks in the first place.
>>
are magic initate cantrips at will?
>>
>>46403484
What do you think?
>>
>>46403484
Cantrips are always at will
>>
File: strahd.jpg (62 KB, 466x529) Image search: [Google]
strahd.jpg
62 KB, 466x529
I'm gonna give him a gun.
>>
NPC Adventuring Party

Mountain Dwarf Berserker
Wood Elf Scout
Human Evil Mage
Aasimar Priest
Half-Elf Spy
>>
File: Strahd von Brando.jpg (34 KB, 390x548) Image search: [Google]
Strahd von Brando.jpg
34 KB, 390x548
>>46403569
Give him a stand.
>>
>>46403461
You can also use it on an ally in need, perhaps one with lower AC than you who's about to die; it's up to you. It's meant to be a largely self-sacrificial spell, similar to that Oath of the Crown ability.
Besides, you have Lay on Hands as a paladin, if you really need it. The spell is kind of meant as a last-resort.
>>
>>46403520
There is no such thing as "at will" in 5e. All cantrips, as far as I can recall right now, take an action to cast, but cost no spell slots.
>>
>>46403652
>no such thing as "at will"
Check out Cantrip under What is a Spell? in the PHB, you loser faggot
>>
>>46403652
>There is no such thing as "at will" in 5e.
"At will" is used in a number of places in 5e. See: Warlock invocations, and the rules for cantrips.
>>
>>46403652
"At Will" means it costs no resources besides time. Did you skip late 3.5 and 4e entirely?
>>
so can I make a samurai fighter using the base ruleset
>>
>>46403625
>Strahd with Time Stop at-will
Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>46403743
I'll be running CoS soon and I'm *super* tempted, especially since all of my players like Jojo.
>>
>>46403716
>>46403712
>>46403707
My apologies, I was interpreting it as what "at will" meant in 4e, which was a completely different game.

What I was mainly trying to get across was that they all take an action to cast. (As far as I can recall)
>>
>>46403730
Literally just a Fighter.
>>
>>46403730
Depends on what you mean by samurai.
If you mean a vaguely japanese dude trained in killing shit with a variety of weapons then yes.
Anything more than that and you might hit some issues.
>>
>>46403775
make every vampire say wryyyy
>>
>>46403730
yes, you can make an honorable knight with a fancy sword.
>>
>>46403625
I'll give him Hol Horse's stand.
>>
>>46403779
Like all spells, the casting time of a cantrip is given on a per-spell basis.

Same with how 4e powers were, actually (whether they were a standard action or a minor action).
>>
>>46403779
>My apologies, I was interpreting it as what "at will" meant in 4e, which was a completely different game.
At will meant literally the same thing in 4e too.
>>
>>46403779

4e at-wills took an action too.
>>
>>46403775
Time Stop would be too imbalanced. Consider running him as Dio rather than DIO.

>yfw the reason DIO lost was because he forgot he could just shoot blood lasers from his eyes instead of going for a kick
>>
>>46403779
"at-will" means the same thing in 5e as it did in 4e though. Something you can do indefinitely without rest.
>>
>>46403791
>>46403798
>>46403807
yeah thats basically it, thanks
>>
>>46403808
>not going full meta and giving him Heaven's Door
>give him an attack for which, every time he hits someone with it, you actually scribble down some shit on their character sheets
>>
>>46403779
You are a piece of shit. I HATE players who start whining "but that's how 4e/3e did it!"
>>
>>46403944
When was he whining? He just confused it, get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>46403827
If you DM allows Unearthed Arcana there are a couple of Fighter "Kits of Old" that allow for a scout or cavalier style fighter that both might fit a samurai better.

But Battlemaster is probably still your best bet.
>>
>>46400779
Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing, neogi, gem dragons, anything from ravenloft, lurkers/trappers, so much stuff! Anything from Planescape, as well.
>>
>>46403988
Crown Paladin might also be a decent bet, if you wanted to go a little more weeb with it.
>>
>>46403944
Ily2bb
>>
>>46400779
Everything from the 4e draconomicon books.
>>
>>46404033
Look, I agree he's a shithead, but there's no need to break global rules.
>>
>>46403821
According to his diary, he never used it because he figured anyone with a Stand could easily deflect them. Star Platinum and Silver Chariot could have outright blocked or deflected them, Magician's Red could have evaporated them, Iggy probably could have sensed them coming, and DIO didn't trust Joseph to not be able to deflect them through some sort of shenanigans.
And since the last fight was mostly DIO vs Jotaro, with a side of Polnareff, being able to throw a large number of knives that were hard to deflect was more important that using a single attack that could be deflected.
>>
>>46403891
Yeah I think I'll just give him a gun.
>>
>>46402508
I know it's not a thing, but it's less of a hassle to write than what is currently there. Or you could just write "take xd10 damage", the implication being that there's no type, kind of like how Sneak Attack doesn't specific a type.

Also, I think he really wants the whole "sacrifice HP for a better Shield spell." The damage isn't that extreme for the level you can get it at, but I do agree that 4th level is a bit much.
>>
>>46404172
>continuous streams of blood at sufficient pressure to pierce through human flesh easier to deflect than thrown knives
>running around in time stop to pick up knives to rethrow producing a larger number of projectiles than simply standing there and shooting more blood beams
>throwing blood into your enemy's eyes to blind him instead of shooting a laser through his brain
>charging while wounded directly into a melee an equally-strong short-ranged Stand which you now know can stop time (albeit for a shorter period than you can) instead of spamming more ranged attacks
DIO, I...

also have to wonder what happened to those ice powers he had back in Phantom Blood.
>>
>>46404228
Sex Pistols or Emperor? This is important.
>>
>>46404350
DIO's smart, but he's really proud too. Retreating isn't usually his style.
Also, I don't recall him ever picking up his knives anyway, and the Blood Beam's Rate of fire seems awfully low, or else Straizo would have just done it.

>also have to wonder what happened to those ice powers he had back in Phantom Blood.

That's an easy one. He couldn't control the body that well since it was Jonathan's. After he got the Joestar blood, he probably could have, but he was a bit high at the time. Besides, that would have required extended physical contact with Jotaro, which would go against his battle strategy and leave him wide open for a Star Platinum barrage he didn't want to risk.
>>
>>46400982
Can't forget the para- and quasi- genasi. They need more love.
>>
>>46404385
I'm thinking a revolver. There's nothing like the feeling of slamming a silver shaft into a well oiled chamber.
>>
>>46402756
Shield of Faith also lasts for 10 minutes.
>>
>>46401356
Unearthed Arcana.
>>
File: 1450643601770.jpg (178 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1450643601770.jpg
178 KB, 680x510
>Pirate background Oath of the Crown paladin
Would a privateer be a fun character? I hesitate to say ex-privateer, even if it would be a change in arrangements from seafaring, since it's pretty imperative the Oath holds, and raiding ancient dungeons and such is just as good if you're not taking from your own country and providing it resources.
>>
>>46404753
You flatter yourself.
>>
What's a good adventure for a first time DM? I'm looking at Curse of Strahd and it seems too open-ended. I'm just looking for something straight forward so I could get the hang of the basics.
>>
>>46405584
Lost Mine of Phandelver.
>>
>>46404929
Fair point. Sacrifice health for a bigger boost, then. The spell is meant to exchange health for defense, and, if used on another, to be self-sacrificial, similar to the Oath of the Crown paladin's level 7 feature. It's working as intended.
>>
>>46405456
What's the rest of the group doing?

What is the setting like?

What are the odds you're ever going to be near either a boat or the ocean?
>>
Is there any way to get the digital Curse of Strahd maps as JPG files?
>>
>>46405937
Open them in Adobe Reader, right click -> copy image, throw in your photo editor of choice.
>>
>>46404929
What if I lower Dark Aegis to a 2nd level spell? Too powerful?
>>
Hey guys, new to D&D. Playing a conjuration wizard, any recommended feats and spells I should look out for? We are starting at 8th level.
>>
>>46406211
See if your DM will allow That Old Black Magic UA (he probably will, it's nice and balanced). Abuse your abilities to summon in armies of low-threat creatures.
>>
So is it OP to allow bonus action spells to be cast as well as an action spell? I understand Quicken would be OP but natural BA spells like Healing Word are something I would never get on a full caster that doesn't use weapons and so on.
>>
>>46406211
Spell Sniper, War Caster, and Elemental Adept are all excellent feats for casters.
Also, if you throw a little melee capability onto your character, Mage Slayer is an excellent feat for getting the edge on other casters.
>>
How's this for a magic item?

Staff of Force
Staff, very rare (requires attunement by a sorcerer, warlock, or wizard)

As Staff of Power, with the following changes:
Spells: While holding this staff, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast one of the following spells from it, using your spell save DC and spell attack bonus:
Bigby's Hand (5 charges)
Disintegrate (6 charges)
Forcecage (7 charges)
Leomund's Tiny Hut (3 charges)
Mage Armor (1 charge)
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere (4 charges)
Shield (1 charge)
Tenser's Floating Disk (1 charge)
Unseen Servant (1 charge)
Wall of Force (5 charges)
You can also cast the following spells without expending any charges: Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, and Magic Missile.
>>
>>46406285
After a second though, I think I'm going to move Magic Missile to cost 1 charge, and add telekinesis (costing 5 charges) as it seems to fit with the force theme.
>>
>>46406232
He would allow it, but I feel the rest of the party would get swarmed by those demons.
>>
>>46406322
Those that you can't control: drop them into enemy ranks and just hide.
Those you can: really hope you don't lose concentration, and get war caster.
>>
>>46406285
You haven't specified how many charges the staff begins with, nor which level you cast spells at with that staff.

Also, be sure not to mix up Force damage, which is actually pure magical energy, with physical, telekinetic force, which would instead be represented by bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage.

The name is a bit of a misnomer, but you'll see the actual description right there under the damage section.
>>
>>46406267
The normal rules are fine. They can use a single-action cantrip alongside their bonus action spell already.
>>
>>46406388
It was based on the Staff of Power, so 20 charges. DMG says that you cast a spell at its lowest level if it's not specified.
>>
>>46406400
I just don't see how it's too strong to use Healing Word with a Fireball for example. Bonus action spells seem balanced around being bonus action and thus doing less than action spells, and the rule seems aimed at nerfing Quicken.
>>
>>46406458
How about Divine Word and Fireball?
>>
File: 1447288686860.jpg (205 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447288686860.jpg
205 KB, 1920x1080
>>46401900
I actually ended up finding a lot of good ideas for settings and quests reading the fluff on monsters in monster manuals. Who knew that Giants had a huge lore-dump in 5th edition in MM? There's plenty that can be done with them alone, but even low-mid range CR monsters like Kuo-Toa have a lot of good ideas for quests right in the descriptions.

Sometimes you get some really good ideas just watching shows or seeing something cool somewhere, and just think: "Hey, this would work well in a game!" Random schmucks you meet at a bar can be NPC ideas, people you see at your work/school/sex dungeon could be potential antagonists or allies in a setting - Or just say fuck it, and watch Conan the Barbarian.
>>
Is there an afterlife in D&D? With so many deities and people being able to be resurrected somewhat regularly, I'd think it would be painfully obvious. Is there ever any mention of it?
>>
>>46406600
>Depends on the setting
>>
>>46406600
>>46406627
It'd be more of a question of which settings didn't have some kind of afterlife
>>
File: 1459076336185.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
1459076336185.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>>46406600
>mfw
There are literally dozens of mentions of afterlives. You go to whatever plane corresponds with your alignment. LN lawyers wind up as modrons keeping Mechanus working, CG folk heroes fight dragons and giants on Ysgard, and chaotic evil average PCs end up in eternal war in the Abyss.

TN things go... I don't remember. Astral plane? Sigil?
>>
>>46406600
Which one do you want to know more about? The Abyss? Elysium? Ysgard? How about Gehenna, or Carceri? Do you want to cross the River Styx, or have to jump over lava pits all day and kick Beelzabub in the fuckin' scrotum?

Plenty of people use standard mythological deities and associated locations in their games, since there is actually mention of just using mythology as a setting for pen and paper games, but a lot of Planes in D&D already are based off of most forms of mythological areas.
>>
>>46406586
I really strongly recommend reading the oldschool monster manuals. Here's a good start, but it lacks some things from the Fiend Folio: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_index.php

That, and read the Encyclopedia Magica. It's effectively every single magic item ever made for AD&D, whether fully statted or not, generally with a bit of fluff attached. Some are quite interesting.
>>
>>46406678

Outlands, mainly.
>>
>>46406688
>>46406678
If I want to read more about this, past the DMG, where should I look?
>>
>>46407012
google
>>
>>46407012

The Planescape campaign setting has most of it. The Planewalker's Handbook is probably the most accessible entry.
>>
>>46407012
Manual of the Planes might be good, but it's been a long time since I've read it so I'm not sure.
>>
File: 1455996938477.jpg (63 KB, 800x562) Image search: [Google]
1455996938477.jpg
63 KB, 800x562
>>46407012
I wasn't really referring to the DMG, as the Player's Handbook has some information on this as well, complete with a diagram on the Planes.
There's plenty of d&d wiki websites out there, although some less reputable. dandwiki is kind of flooded with homebrew trash, but d20srd has been around for a very long time and is a great resource for information. Look around, explore, do some of your own research on where the names of Outer Planes came from. Additionally, there are plenty of books that focus specifically on Planes. "Manual of the Planes" has existed since AD&D, and has been revised a few times since. It gives information not only on all the different types of Planes out there, but also what inhabits them, and even how someone courageous(dumb) enough to explore them could survive.
>>
>>46407113
>>46407096
Thanks very much, I appreciate the advice.
>>
How would I go about running something in the vein of Spelljammer, but also have planar adventures, like making the Great Wheel cosmology into a sort of galaxy to travel around in?
>>
File: 5e_Inventory_Tracking_Sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e_Inventory_Tracking_Sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46407182
Thanks to you too, anon.
Have this nifty encumbrance tracker I found. I couldn't think of anything else to reciprocate with.
>>
File: frogtemple.png (42 KB, 860x623) Image search: [Google]
frogtemple.png
42 KB, 860x623
>>46407374
This would've been super useful back when I ran face-to-face games plenty, but thanks regardless, there's plenty of people who are going to be getting this resource who took up running games on recommendation.

On a slightly related note, although it's limited, I've actually been using Google Spreadsheets a lot for organizing games. You can set up entire character sheets and just add more sections for items and loot, and even have a separate page in the excel book that's scaled to size for a gridded map. Clever use of cell coloring, and a Dwarf-Fortress-styled approach to identifying objects and characters in the environment leads to a strangely flexible way to flesh out maps.
The big kicker: Google Spreadsheets can be viewed, and edited in real time by you and your players! It's a bit of work to get set up, but hoo boy, I never want to go back to any other form of game management.

Pic Related: A dungeon that I ran for my players a while ago. The reason why it's so messy? The PCs ran through it and caused a bunch of havok, and the bloodied, broken mess of a dungeon is a result. They left their mark on the map, and it feels amazing to see the result everytime. Sorry for bad quality.
>>
I'd like to play a very spiritual Barbarian. Totem Barbarian sounds obvious, but I want kind of like the idea of transforming into my Totem animal and stuff.

Would it be a terrible idea to play a Barbarian/Druid character? Mechanically, I mean.
>>
>>46401650
NO! They are proto elves from the feywild! High elves are ivory tower wizards.
>>
>>46407249
You can pretty much already do that with Spelljammer, straight up. The Astral sea touches almost everything in the setting. Whatever it can't directly reach, you can still get to via portals.
>>
>>46407487
It's one of the better multiclasses actually. rage/reckless attacks/unarmored defenses will all work in beast form. Go for it.
>>
>>46400306
Need an idea for an encounter or two
>>
>>46407249
The great wheel IS a galaxy already. Spelljammer was made to do exactly what you're looking for
>>
>>46407477
Wow. That is simply incredible. I'm not very experienced using those types of programs, unfortunately. How do you set up your character sheets?
>>
>>46407487
It's pretty decent - not being able to cast spells during Rage won't matter if you only Rage in beast form. The only issue is that Wild Shape+Rage takes 2 turns to get up.

Just remember to sink most of your levels in Druid so your beast form doesn't fall behind. You probably don't want to take more then 1-2 levels in Barbarian. Maybe 3 if you want to get a Totem Animal.
>>
File: 1363759441183.png (54 KB, 500x632) Image search: [Google]
1363759441183.png
54 KB, 500x632
>>46407487
I don't see anything wrong with it, if that's what you want to play. The big issue, of course, is the limitations on CR of creatures you can transform in to, and the options for mobility they can have. For example, if your totem spirit is a bearded vulture, you're unable to transform in to a flying creature until 8th level with Wild Shape, and the max CR animal you can transform in to is 1 at this same level. Otherwise, you're starting off at a max CR of 2 at level 2 when you gain Wildshapes, but that still gives you plenty of options if you're not planning on wanting to swim or fly immediately.

Although, if you go with the "Circle of the Moon" Druid archetype, it boosts the max CR early, and continues to increase it as you level. Going with this, a Barbarian/Druid that transforms in to its totem animal would be completely legit. Still limited in your movement options until higher levels, though.
>>
>>46407573
A goblin attacks your party!

Two goblins attack your party!
>>
>>46407573
Any particular details for these encounters that are important, like environment or theme? Also what level and what difficulty should the encounters be?
>>
>>46407604
If I only went 3, would Berserker be better for Frenzy? I wouldn't be getting Extra Attack if I only went 3 levels, and Frenzy says "melee weapon attack", which Beasts' attacks are classified as.
>>
>>46407597
Honestly, you can just shove text on the excel sheets, and have different pages, which are actually contained on the same webpage spreadsheet, but is made through the page options at the bottom of the page, and copy-paste entire pages in to new ones. Honestly, knowing excel doesn't hurt at all, but even if you're not good with it, just knowing how to change cell background and text color and knowing how to change the size of rows and columns can make a huge difference.
I'd be willing to show people briefly, since starting a google spreadsheet can just have a bunch of people jump in and fuck around with it.
>>
>>46407573
A party attacks your goblins!
>>
>>46407620
If Druid is the primary, it seems that Moon would be far and aware more desirable than Land. I wouldn't even need much Wisdom since I'd be using my spell slots on situational spells or Wild Shape healing.
>>
>>46407604
Barbarian/Druid with the "Circle of the Moon" archetype DOES have the ability to Wild Shape as a bonus action, though, so it can make it a little more functional in combat.
>>
>>46407676
Rage is a bonus action as well. The only way to Wild Shape as an action is if you go Land.
>>
>>46407648
That would also work. But bear in mind you won't be Frenzying every encounter, as you won't be able to keep up with the exhaustion.

Depending on how frequently your party takes long rests, it might simply be more advisable to just advance your Druid progression and get to a beast with a higher CR.
>>
>>46407630
Hard encounter for 6 level 5 players in a tomb/cave in a snowy !viking area
>>
File: 1446440746226.png (101 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446440746226.png
101 KB, 400x400
>>46407705
>bear in mind
>>
>>46407660
I appreciate the offer anon, but maybe another time. It's pretty late where I am
>>
>>46407710
I see. One encounter should be a young white Dragon and some Viking skeletons. The second could be a Mage necromancer with another group of Viking skeletons, except these skeletons are bigger (use minotaur skeleton stats). I'd say the white Dragon is helping the necromancer with the promise of treasure. Seem reasonable to you?
>>
>>46407819
Ooh viking skeletons sound good, what stat block should I use for them?
>>
File: 1372215338920.jpg (300 KB, 981x1146) Image search: [Google]
1372215338920.jpg
300 KB, 981x1146
>>46407710
Young White Dragon, pg. 101 5e MM

Ettercap pg 131 MM, are a shepherd-like humanoid spider race that herd spiders in their lair.

Grick Alpha, pg 173 MM, maybe paired with some regular Grick. Cave-dwelling ambush monster with Stone Camouflage

Shittons of Ice Mephits, or just Ice Mephits thrown in intermittently with other encounters. Pg 215

Young Remorhaz, pg. 258. Burrowing creatures that live in icy, snowy environments that have steaming hot bodies (literally). Touching or melee-ing within 5 ft of a Remorhaz BURNS WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY (for 2d6 fire damage).

An adult Remorhaz might be too much for the party, but a couple of young ones paired with some ice mephits could be fun.
>>
>>46407551
>rage
Yes.
>reckless attacks
Yes.
>unarmored defenses
Doesn't stack with your Natural Armor.
>>
>>46407860
The skeleton stat block is what I would suggest using.
>>
>>46407860
Pg. 272, but you can change up their armor class and weaponry with whatever you want to equip them with, honestly. The joys of skeletons are their extreme customization options. Minotaur skeleton is located on the immediate next page for their stat block.

Also, pic related.
>>
>>46407875
It'll probably be better than your natural armor.
>>
How effective is 5e in running a dark fantasy sort of setting? Barovia isn't quite what i'm looking for, more weird and less goth.
>>
File: 1445221060266.jpg (92 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1445221060266.jpg
92 KB, 500x332
>>46408281
As grimdark as you want to run it, I suppose.
>>
>>46405650
My group really didn't enjoy Lost Mine.
The emphasis on combat and dungeon crawling didn't really mesh well with them.

Might be that I'm just a shitty DM, which is entirely possible.
>>
>>46404929
>>46403302
>>46403461
What if I make Dark Aegis grant +5 AC by default, but sap 1d10 health for every turn the caster keeps it active?
>>
>>46408768
Ac for health just seems like a nonsense mechanic. The whole point of AC is to avoid health loss
>>
>>46408848
It's built to have synergy with a homebrew archetype of which health loss is an important feature.
>>
>>46408848
>>46408943
Or more specifically health management, ebb and flow.
>>
>>46408281
DMG pp. 28 "Flavors of Fantasy"
>>
Making a homebrew race for a game I'm planning. Was wondering what you all thought of a racial ability I've been knocking about. Basically, the race is one of legendary crafters, and I wanted to play on that.

>Runic Magic
>When you craft an item worth at least 10 gold pieces that is not a consumable, you may by way of a maker's mark imbue the item with a semi-magical effect.
>While wielding, wearing, or holding this item you benefit from one of the below effects. You may only benefit from one such item's magic at a time, but may switch which is active during a long rest.
>Select one of the following: Gain a Skill Proficiency, Gain a Saving Throw Proficiency, Gain a Language, Gain a single Weapon Proficiency, or Gain a Cantrip from the Wizard spell list (Int is casting stat).
>>
>>46409860
Kill yourself
>>
>>46409877
So you don't like it. Alright.

What do I fix first?
>>
>>46409860
I'd tone down how strong the magical effects are. I could see this general concept working but having the ability to craft a weapon and then imbue that weapon with the ability for anyone wielding it to become proficient with that weapon could become troublesome. The saving throw proficiency effect is also too strong. The rest are a bit more tame and can work.
>>
>>46409922
Shit, I meant to add only you could use the item in question. So you're saying remove the Saving Throw and Weapon proficiency?
>>
>>46409934
Yes.
>>
>>46409894
Not the guy telling you to kill yourself (yet anyway), but it's pretty obvious. The racial ability you made is basically "Take a long rest to be able to solve any fucking problem"
>>
Today i will dm Out of the Abyss for a few new players. y¡You have any tips?
>>
>>46409860
A race of crafters is never going to have a fun and well balanced ability in a system where crafting is such an afterthought.
>>
Still working on writing stats for monsters, so not going to post an update on the Outer Gods pdf yet, but what do you think of the revised version of the eldritch druid spec (I rather not have to redo the pdf again because it needed a rewrite)?

>2nd level ability: gain advantage on death saves and regain more hit points while resting, plus you can use your action and expend a spell slot to heal d6 hp for per spell's level (worse version of the moon druid healing, which is a bonus action and d8 hp, but can be used out of wild shape).

>6th level: use an action and expend use of wild shape to create a 10ft aura that lasts for 1 min. Inside the aure hostile creatures have disadvantage on Con checks and saves, while your hp maximum can't be reduced and you regain hp equal to your Con modifier at the start of your turns (assuming you have at lest 1 hp left; can't regenerate once you're down to 0).

Might replace this with something. Maybe spend a wild shape to alter your body to gain different abilities (tough skin for pseudo-DR, claws that make your unarmed strikes better, tentacles for grappling, etc.), although that might step on the toes of the "gain random mutations as you level" sorcer origin I've also got.

>10th level: consume a fresh corpse of a creature of DR 1 or less to gain extra wild shape charge that can only be used to tranform into that creature. After consuming a corpse you must pass on a Wis save or suffer temporary insanity. Extra charges gained are lost after a long rest.

I'm considering bumping the CR up to 2, considering the equivalent level moon druid ability lets you turn into a CR 5 elemental, and most of the strongert CR 1 creatures are beasts you could turn into with normal wildshape anyway.
>>
>>46410475
Cont.

>14th level ability: expend two uses of Wild Shape at the same time to transform in an aberration. While transformed your type changes to aberration and you gain advantage on Con checks and saves, as well as resistance against bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage, and immunity to diseases and poisons.
>Same rules as wild shape apply (last for half your druid level in hours, reverts if you drop to 0 hp or become unconscious, can't cast spells until you get the ability that lets you do so at lv. 18, etc.).
>You can also replace your normal melee attack with tentacles, which deal 2d6+Str bludgeoning damage and grapple a creature you hit with them. Counts as magical weapon.
>>
>>46409894
>racial ability is a saving throw

Just slit your own throat, there is no hope for you
>>
>>46400306
how do you folks keep track of the abilities and stats of mobs during combat? As a new GM I often find it difficult to keep the pace going when i have to flip through pages and look up what capabilities the different creatures involved in combat have.
>>
>>46401410

Mourn his loss then move on.
>>
>>46410671
Jot down creatures AC, HP and attack bonuses/damage when you make their initiative order.

If a monster has a complicated ability, either learn it by heart or wing it.
>>
>>46410671
What I usually do when setting up encounters:
>I use scrap paper to keep track of initiative and individual health
>I limit myself to no more that three separate types of mobs at a time. I use note cards to write down all the statistics for simpler mobs and keep the book open to more complex mobs.
>If you can try to memorize certain traits more complex mobs have so you can eventually migrate away from leaving your book open during combat.
>>
>>46410692
>>46410726
Cheers, I will get a small notebook and start keeping track that way.
>>
File: 1016017.jpg (181 KB, 1200x757) Image search: [Google]
1016017.jpg
181 KB, 1200x757
My party is in a situation where we're trying to take back a town from a heavily fortified group of bandits. We broke into the encampment and killed the 30 to 40 bandits and the boss inside of the camp, effectively taking back the town. Took a shitload out of us (blew all of our spells, and we're all at about 5-7 health), but we all kept each other up. Pretty damn good fight actually.

The issue now is the reinforcements we found while scouting around the town (10-12 mounted combatants, 10 plate wearing baddies, and a leader) are all marching toward us, because the boss managed to get a blow of his war horn off before we downed him. We've got 5-10 minutes to prepare (in-game, the session ended right as our DM said we could see the riders approaching the town), and we can't outrun the mounted units.

None of us know what the fuck to do next week.
>>
>>46410766
It is simple. If they accept prisoners - now is the time to surrender. Other options are run and reroll.
>>
>>46404753

What if you gave him two guns
>>
>>46400306
Anyone played 5e in the Eberron setting? What is your general opinion of it?
>>
>>46410784
They do not. I am very certain of that.

Some of the houses in town are still standing, might try to hide out. But i'm fairly certain their Worgs have advantage on perception checks. So we're still fucked.
>>
>>46410766
This is when you send the sneaky guy or guys off to hide and have the tanks and at least one charismatic person parley with the upcoming leader. The sneaky guy should hide until the situation develop. Hopefully the parley will allow everyone either a short rest or a long one. Either way they will probably take your gear and imprison you. The sneaky people should steal back the gear and free everyone else and then tear up the group of baddies during the prison break.
>>
>>46410824
Any good at diplomancy?
>>
>>46410853
Our Ranger and our Druid are capable of that, even our Warlock might be able to slip away. The glaring issue that I failed to mention, and this will be speaking to >>46410853 too, is that the reinforcements are made up of bugbears, hobgoblins, and what appeared to be more 'elite' goblin riders.

We could try it, but we've tried to talk down a few bugbears before and they weren't having it.
>>
>>46410904
Also meant for >>46410842
>>
>>46410766
Arm villagers with crossbows
>>
File: The Wizards Amulet (5E).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Wizards Amulet (5E).pdf
1 B, 486x500
Does anyone have some of the Necromancer Games 5e stuff? I have some of it, but I want more, especially interested in their campaign settings.

I can post some more of what I have if people are interested.
>>
>>46410904
Sounds like your best bet is to basically fortify your post and get into the tallest building in town and start snipping away. Also demand the villagers who are in town to bring you health potions and to take up arms and hide in the sniper tower with you.
>>
>>46410671
I never have more than three types of enemies in a normal combat. Usually two at most.

It's not much to flip between.
>>
>>46410948
>>46411021
Yeah, we're stuck I agree. The house we're in is probably where we're going to try and hide/make our stand.

As for the villagers, the ones that aren't charred in some of the burnt ruins, or strung up around town, fled a long time ago. We're on our own. Appreciate it anons.
>>
>>46411102
if there are no villagers why are you there
>>
New DM here. Writing my first campaign. I want to include Ghost Pirates (or a Ghost Pirate Captain with no crew, or a crew of undead), because of course I do.

But (somehow), I'm struggling to make them interesting. What would a ghost pirate be after, under what circumstances might it be willing to parley, and how could the situation get worse if the party fucks up?

I want it to be more than just a random combat encounter- something that they see coming for a few sessions, and that dealing with takes the spotlight for at least one session of its own.
>>
>>46411111
Because the ones that survived are now fucking homeless.

Also, holy shit
>>
>>46411122
>>46411111
Quints speaks wisdom.

Abandon the village. Homes can be rebuilt, lives not.
>>
>>46411122
Homeless peasants sound like POOR peasants
>>
>>46405840
Make it like the Medallion of Courage from Dota? You take a penalty to your AC to give an ally a bonus.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.