[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: readthefuckingphb.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
readthefuckingphb.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

For the wizards of /5eg/, what spell would you cast every morning using Preparation, what is the trigger, and why?

/5eg/ doesn't read edition
>>
Does CoS have any new spells/cantrips?
>>
3.5 is better.
>>
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
Reposting cause thread 404'd right after, and for good ideas cause you guys are much more creative than me.

Need an uncommon/rare magical flute effect for a int focused martial class. I know how to make a custom magical item but I only have shit/boring ideas.
>>
>>46385586
>edition war bait
For what purpose? You're entitled to your opinion, anon, but we don't want it.
>>
>>46385574
Why would it?
>>
>>46385525
>Preparation
Wut?

>>46385574
No, but it does have horror refluffs of a bunch of existing spells when you're in Barovia.

>>46385586
Fuck off.
>>
>>46385574
It has a new background. That's it.
>>
>>46385612
Flute summons large swarm of rats, causing area around player to be treated as rough terrain. Rats dance to the music of the flute, follow the player wherever he goes, and will not follow any directions or fight. Radius increases by 10' per round to a maximum of 50'. The swarm disperses 1d4 rounds after the music stops.
>>
File: 1439334296447.jpg (38 KB, 344x345) Image search: [Google]
1439334296447.jpg
38 KB, 344x345
>>46385617
I dunno nigga that's why I asked.
>>
do they not make new character options in the expansion books?
>>
Asking again, How much does it change encounter balance if all 4 of my level 5 players get a level 1 cohort
>>
>>46385704
It doesn't. The players did something smart (bring more allies to a fight) and shouldn't have their decisions negated by capricious DMs.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (238 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
238 KB, 720x690
>>46385525
>>46385622
OP here, I'm retarded, I meant Contingency.
>>
>>46385704
It would count as a party of 8 characters, but the difficulty thresholds mean that even moderate challenges for the player characters could be deadly for the cohorts.
>>
>>46385704
Literally everything would one shot the cohorts.
>>
>>46385699
Not frequently no, 5E has had a very different production schedule from previous editions. Currently there's a shit ton of UA which is basically 'maybe might be an expansion in a altered form at some point', but other then that there's only a few additional character options in the Sword Coast Adventure Guide. I believe that's it.
>>
>>46385704
Probably about as much as another level 5 player being added to the party. Don't expect them to survive though.
>>
File: bestlich.jpg (86 KB, 1024x535) Image search: [Google]
bestlich.jpg
86 KB, 1024x535
>>46385699
>>46385781
As a side note, the last survey did indicate that WoTC has begun initial surveying into the next major mechanical expansion, most likely a PHB2. So look forward to that in like a year and a half.
>>
>>46385781
what i really want is more feats.
>>
So I'm playing in an evil campaign as an Oathbreaker in a week or two. We are starting at level 10 and out DM allows us to get one magic item that is reasonable.

Do you think that requesting a Nightmare as a mount would be ok for that level? Should the nightmare be worse than the one in the monster manuel?

Also unrelated to this, are there any good Paladin spells that are great to cast on you and your mount with find steed?
>>
>>46385781
There's also the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, which is a cut-down version of an expansion book that was supposed to come out with Princes of the Apocalypse. They scrapped the original splat in favor of the EEPC.
>>
>>46385612
DMG Creating a Magic Item
>>
>>46385861
Please see the last line of my post.
>>
>>46385699
CoS is an Adventure Module.

Additional player options were released as a free supplemental tie-in with PotA, and also with the SCAG.

The bulk of published materials have all been campaign books, which do not contain character options. While I might want more options as a player, the DM in me does not miss that one asshole in every game who peeks at the session pages in the new book and proceeds to meta the fuck out of everything.
>>
>>46385873
If you have no creativity then give up being DM
>>
>>46385818
The one in the MM should be fine if you're at level 10. One could make the argument that you're selling yourself way, way short, given that you'd be a little more than 12 times more capable than your mount by that point.
>>
>>46385612
Flute of Invisibility!
The music of the flute enchants the player so he is hidden from view... But not hearing. As soon as he stops playing, the effect ends.

Flute of Speed!
Same thing, but Haste!

Flute of Encouragement!
Using the music of this flute, you inspire others to greatness! Effectively, gain the Guidance cantrip while playing it.
>>
I've been forever DM since I started playing a little over a year ago, but I'm finally going to be able to be a PC in a curse of strahd campaign starting next week.

The problem is I'm having trouble deciding what to actually play. I have a backlog of dozens of character ideas that I've wanted to try ever since I started playing, but now I can't decide!
>>
>>46385901
I'm not a DM. It's for my character, I still have a rare/uncommon item to get and I didn't just want to do "flute of charm person" or something really standard.
>>
>>46385818
In the MM, nightmares are described as requiring repeated offerings, or they won't obey their would-be masters. And remember, as evil creatures, these offerings will probably have to be sacrifices.
>>
>>46385818
>monster manuel?
Eso es racista.
>>
File: constantvigilance.jpg (67 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
constantvigilance.jpg
67 KB, 400x300
>>46385959
Play what I played after getting off the forever DM train, a hyper paranoid conspiracy theorist Mad-Eye Moody-esque Abjuration wizard. Take all the 'don't die ever' spells like Contingency and Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. Use Find Familiar and stay two rooms behind and only interact with objects through mage hand.
Take glyph of warding and glyph fucking everything in your sparetime.
Constant Vigilance, anon.
>>
>>46386028
I'm looking forward to Manuel of the Planes.
>>
>>46386089
Sigil has a serious immigration problem. #buildthewall #makebaatorpayforit
>>
>>46385612
>>magical flute effect for a int focused martial class
You're going to have to extend that explanation anon
>>
>>46386191
I wasn't thinking a combat effect, but I also didn't want it to be something like "playing the flute for an hour restores a spell slot".

As for the class, it's a homebrew called Swordsage. Basically monk mixed with fighter. https://merovia.obsidianportal.com/wikis/swordsage
>>
>>46386218
> Help me with my homebrew shit
No.
>>
>>46385961
Players don't get to create their own magical items
>>
>>46385959

As someone who's spent a while DMing and then got into a similar situation, I ended up just picking Barbarian. It's fun just being a singleminded, nigh-unkillable wrecking ball instead of having to keep track of a million things during combat like I usually would.
>>
>>46386218
>Mordekainen's flute
>As an action, you can play this flute and perform each of the following effects once per day:
>cast haste upon yourself on an ally. If you do this you must play the flute for the duration of the spell to maintain concentration.
>heal up to 6 allies within 30 feet by 2D6 + int HP.
>cast the spiritual weapon spell (using int as your casting modifier).
>>
>>46385662
Pipes of the Sewer?
>>
>>46385612
Flute of Dancebending
>Play your flute, all characters capable of hearing you must roll Int saving throw. On failure, they are bound to synchronized melee movements for the duration of your play or if they succeed on the Int saving throw on thier turn.

You, through you playing, can command all effected creatures to perform the exact same basic physical action - from movement to melee attacks. You cannot command them to cast spells, speak, use any complex devices.
>>
>>46385612
Flute of BEES
The whole inside of the Flute is a beehive filled with charmed bees. When played, the bees come out and attack anyone nearby besides the person playing the Flute. BEEEEEES!
>>
>>46386028
>Not knowing about Monster Manuel's Mercado de Monstruosidades
Your new is showing.
>>
>>46386566
And now I have an NPC to add to my games...
>>
>>46386443
That's no place to put your pipe
>>
>>46386404
There's something to this. I picked a criminal archer fighter. I'm mostly in the back line, but that means that If I'm not picking the party's targets I'm defending the mages.

However, i fully encourage you to take a few knowledge skills. I ran into some ghouls, and my character didn't recognize them, even though I knew they were less of a threat because there were three elves in the party, and I found that frustrating. Consider building a character which can tap on some of your DM knowledge banks. My other character is a control wizard, witha goal of rolling as few dice as possible
>>
What would be a decent backstory for a non-evil Death Domain cleric for a CoS campaign? Is there any way to play this archtype without being an edgelord?
>>
>>46386712
The assumption is that death domain clerics are, by default, evil. You could do a whole circle of life deal, death being part of the process.
>>
>>46386712
Non-evil Death domain clerics are easy. Two big archetypal variations:
1) Euthanasianist. You bring death as a merciful end to those whose lives are nothing but pain.
2) Caretaker of the barriers of life. You watch the world, bringing death to those who have skirted your deity's grasp for too long and helping others whose time has not come to back away from death's embrace.
>>
>>46386712
A good aligned death cleric puts restless souls down and guards the rituals and rites regarding a peaceful death wherever he/she goes

As an adventurer they might use their necrotic power to slay evil creatures and beings, who with their murderous ways create more restless spirits
>>
>>46386712
It's possible to play all classes and archetypes without being an edgelord.

You could be a cleric of kelimvor (I think that's the right God) and be an anti undead death domain cleric who is bent on ending the undead scourge In all of its forms, from common zombies to liches and vampires.
>>
>>46386814
>>46386810
>>46386797

I like the idea of a cleric of Kelemvor being tasked with killing beings that have eluded death's grasp, but would it be reaching to far to say they are specifically after Strahd? I'm specifically not looking into any CoS stuff so I don't spoil it for myself, so I'm not sure how much previous knowledge of strahd and his domain it would make sense for a PC to have.
>>
>>46386712
Halix, A benevolent priest of a town overrun with plague by a renegade warlock or something.

After earnestly preparing, honoring and burying all the plague victims of your village, the plague finally catches you - as you lay dying in an empty town, abandoned by your god, you curse the name of your diety - you proclaim your respect and pray for mercy of Kelemvor (or whatever) the God of the Dead. He sees you, and blesses you, curing you of the plague, and conscripting you as a Death Cleric charged with ensuring all those that die are properly sent to your new god's realm.
>>
>>46386927
You could always develop over that time after witnessing what strahd has done/does

praying with your god each night asking for guidance
you'll soon realize strahd is the devil
>>
File: r5oZ9Cl.jpg (506 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
r5oZ9Cl.jpg
506 KB, 1365x2048
I'm stating The Gang to be BBEGs in my campaign, and I'm working throughout the basics. Having trouble deciding what race Frank should be. Half-troll? Gnome? Dwarf? Ugliest Elf in existence?
>>
>>46386797
...Or, you know, guy who travels between gravesites cleaning shit up and putting zombones back in the ground.

Not everything has to be magnanimous, anon.
>>
Are there any good D&D video series out there? Particularly anything with interesting (read: anything that isn't Neutral Good Healbitch of Turning) Cleric play.
>>
>>46387000
Frank is a traditional "gnoll" a gnome/troll hybrid.
>>
Anybody have the Adventure League Kelemvor cleric thing?

>>46387120
>gnoll
>Not a disgusting demon hyena-man
>>
>>46387120
> gnome/troll hybrid
> implications in 5e
Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
File: 1457489495715.gif (14 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
1457489495715.gif
14 KB, 416x416
>>46386046
Oh, that sounds like a fun time.
But why's he paranoid?
>>
If I were to make a NPC with x levels in a class how would the CR translate? I want it to be stronger individually than the group but within reason when paired with some lower CR minions to keep the fight interesting.

Is it as simple as X=CR or is it something like X-2=CR?
>>
>>46387000
>>46387006
>>46387151
>>46387156
>Gnoll with Shapechanger ability
>Turns into Man Cheetah
Yes
>>
Do you think a rogue/monk multiclass should get sneak attack when using monk weapon? I run a victorian era game and one of my players made a rogue that fights with brass knuckles.
>>
>>46387000

Obviously a troll, hence the toll
>>
>>46387256
Monk weapons are considered finesse right? I don't see why not
>>
I'm not trying to be an alignment autist here, but I do want a better understanding of what these alignments mean.

My character is LN and we were sent on a mission to remove the evil from this temple. The temple is really old and abandoned, so nobody really owns it. If nobody owns it then it shouldn't be illegal to take the gold and valuables we find, an a LN would be okay with that, right?
>>
>>46387275
Lawful is less about being a policeman, and more about adhering to a strong sense of personal code.

The Grey Fox, leader of the Thieves Guild might be considered lawful neutral.
>>
>>46387273
They say you can use your dex instead of streanth. I don't think they are concidered finess though.
>>
>>46387275
Wouldn't it be legal not illegal? It's not pillaging if it doesn't belong to anyone unless you're a LN architect who wants to preserve ancient sites or something.
>>
>>46387273
>Monk weapons are considered finesse right?

No, but dagger satisfies both.
>>
>>46387257
What would an ability called Troll Toll do? Accept enough cash to just go away/not fight?

Charlie currently has w/ Bird Law: advantage on skill checks relevant to birds (Nature, Animal Handling, History, etc.)

Dennis has Charm ad Narcissism. Nothing for Dee and Mac yet tho
>>
>>46387320
The correct answer hear is to use a shortsword, because it is both.
>>
>>46387330
Well the question would be if knuckle dusters satisfy both.
>>
>>46387304
My understanding is that a LG or LE would follow a personal code. LN doesn't have a strong sense of morality, so they live by law of the land. Judge Dredd, for example.
>>
>>46387209
It is nowhere near that simple. Basically, you need to take all of the class features into account that you will use, optimize the damage, and account for abilities that increase DPR or survivability. It's a bitch, but it is important if you want an accurate CR.
>>
>>46387381
Well shit, thanks. Almost sounds easier to just run combat sims while trying to think how my players think and fine tune from there to see how fair/unfair I'd be making it on them.
>>
>>46387429
The trick is to give NPCs whatever features you want them to have, calculate CR using those, and not worry about class levels.
>>
>>46387350

doesn't matter anyway, since the benefit of using sneak attack on a monk would be an extra opportunity per turn to trigger it; and the monk's bonus action attack is an UNARMED attack, not a monk weapon.

By RAW, no the two abilities do not interact. And that is intentional, they're not supposed to. The obvious desire to use Stunning Strike to guarantee a Sneak Attack every single turn is against the spirit and law of the rules.

Yes, you can let the player do it anyway; no one is going to barge into your house and call you a cunt because of it. But why not just give them a made up magic weapon if you want them to be inexplicably stronger than intended?
>>
>>46387429

Fair word of warning; think about how trivial it would be for your PCs to one shot each other if they fought. Either your NPC will kill half the party, or die without doing anything.
>>
>>46387429
Yeah, basically.

Let's put it this way: 20 levels on an ancient/other dragon can increase CR by two or three. 18 Bladesinger/2 Fighter on a CR 9 glabrezu can kick it up to CR 30. Yes, 20 class levels can take a mid-level demon to Tiamat-level. A Marilith with 14 Oathbreaker/3 Champion/3 Assassin has an absolutely obscene nova that can almost take down Tiamat (if she could ever get close enough without getting caught, no small feat there).
>>
>>46387470
That makes sence i suppose. Maybe I should just tell him that he can't use abilities from both classes in the same attack and say go?
>>
>>46387581
>sence
>>
>>46387490
>>46387466
Thanks, probably best to just do that. The DMG probably could have done a better job at explaining the math now that I'm looking a little closer at it.

I'm(obviously) pretty new to the system and I'm looking to continue off of the Lost Mines module and as I work my way through the DMG slowly but surely some things seem a little wonky.

Also quick questions for anyone has run it:
First off when I get to the fight against the Black Spider where the hell did the bugbears described in the little text box disappear and aren't described int he actual encounter. Should I include them it brings the fight up from a medium level encounter to a hard one.
2.) Also is the Black Spider himself a pushover? CR 2 for a level 5 party of 5 seems like a joke even when accompanied by 4 weak spiders and potentially 2 bugbears.
>>
>>46387648
yeah if you are dming that campaign make sure you buff up Nezzenar or whatever he's called
>>
>>46387678
Ok cool, I'm only a session in (easy lead in while I learn the system and work on the plot following it up) I'll look into how to make him more formidable, anything else I should keep an eye out that is poorly tuned or easy to miss?
>>
For the first time since this edition came out I rolled a caster and I have a question. Why doesn't conjuration wizards have more summons? My past experience was with 3rd edition and every level had an ass ton of summon-able monsters. I don't see a lot of this until later with elementals. Am I missing something? Not sure if I went the wrong path. Took a lot of versatility spells, like web though.
>>
>>46387000
Something about the ugly elf idea really works for me
>>
>>46386712
Raised in a backwater hill town, has no exposure to the outside world. Town was secretly run by a cult, his dad was a member. The cult was actually peaceful and jsut wanted to worship some Death god in secret, they aren't trying to cause an apocalypse or anything. They just believe this one god will give them a good afterlife or something. Hell, they even recycle dead people and use them for labor sometimes, but always put them back to rest afterwards. Why not right? His father taught him how to use Death magic, but he never thought of it as death magic of course. It was just magic. The only magic they knew. The town was eventually destroyed by an order of Paladins who sneered and called them scum and burned people alive in "holy fire". Now he's out for revenge against that specific Paladin order, but otherwise he's a calm, nice and well-adjusted person. Quite innocent to the world and is excited to learn new types of magic.
>>
>>46387648
Just add two bugbears or don't mention them

Also yeah Nezznar is a fucking joke, consider using the Mage NPC and adding drow racial traits and Nezznar's special equipment

>>46387699
You might have to bump up the strength of other boss characters like King Grol. Depending on party size, a Bugbear Chief could be OK.

Venomfang is plenty dangerous however and can easily destroy your players. Try and use it as a roleplaying encounter instead of a combat one
>>
>>46387737
I'll probably test two bugbears after beefing up Nezzar.
My players are fairly smart and the five of them should be able to handle a Bugbear Chief, but I'll probably end up having the stat block on hand and sub it in if the party isn't too beat to shit by the time they get to him.

Thanks again for the help.
>>46387519
Yeeeeeeeeeah I probably shouldn't fuck with that.
>>
>>46387209
Just give the NPC one or two pertinent class features
>>
>>46387703
Summoning isn't really a thing in 5e. Conjuration was still a good choice though, especially for a versatile control-type wizard.
>>
>>46387648
>2.) Also is the Black Spider himself a pushover? CR 2 for a level 5 party of 5 seems like a joke even when accompanied by 4 weak spiders and potentially 2 bugbears.

Depends how you play him, he's a wizard after all ;if he knows the party is coming he can prepare. He can use his staff to Spiderclimb onto the roof and Web the party with his spiders, using Shield (AC 19) to defend himself from ranged attacks. If he casts Invisibility he'll be pain to track down. His Giant Spiders have blindsight, so if he drops Darkness then the party are at disadvantage but the spiders can get some poison/webs in. Of course he's always super vulnerable with 27HP.

Personally, my group 'stealth'd' their way to the inner sanctum without him being alerted, then knocked on the door - the wizard gave a Portent crit to the Paladin on his suprise Smite. So much for that encounter.
>>
>>46387835
Sounds like a fun way to play him, will keep that in mind while reworking him.
>>
>>46387828
I'm definitely playing up the control style. I left behind my rogue after soloing the "boss" of the quest we were on that solo killed/death saving throws the rest of the party. So I got my let's do crazy damage phase out of the way. Now I want to step back and let the party fill that spot with their new characters as I desperately try to keep the alive.

Any suggested spells I should look into or feats?
>>
>>46387338
Mac's a Monk, just a super shitty one. And gay.

Dee would be a shitty bard (can't act, stage fright).
>>
>>46387914

greasin' all day, greasin' all night
>>
>>46387971
Mac's a cleric who thinks he's a monk. Charlie is a wizard with a few bard levels. Everyone's an addict.
>>
>>46387726
Half-elf, half-troll. Eh? Eh?
>>
File: 1362409875460.gif (929 KB, 264x320) Image search: [Google]
1362409875460.gif
929 KB, 264x320
It's official, /5eg/. The current DM at my FLGS has gone off the deep end.
>be adventuring party of 8 people
>playing OotA, going towards gnome city
>most are level 9, two are only 6 because they missed around half the campaign, just came back
>start session dealing with a friend that polymorphed into a young green dragon and then petrified by a medusa
>takes forever to fix
>other minor stuff happens, we continue onwards towards blingdenstone

>traps
>zillions of traps
>get through all of it unscathed until
>See a massive footprint
>survival check
>you can't really remember what this belongs to, but deep inside you somewhere you feel a primal gut wrenching fear.
>Ohfuck.jpeg
>continue on, stealthily
>feel/hear giant steps coming closer
>Roll perception
>it's a fucking tarrasque
>it's within 200 feet or so of us

>slowly try to hide and escape,
>someone fucks up
>it looks our way
>within 2 turns it's caught up and within one move someone is instantly gone
>game essentialy screeches to a halt as people have no idea what the fuck to make of this or what to do
>session ends for the night shortly after because of closing time

TL:DR
We're running OotA, going pretty well with lots of gear/loot. encounter a fucking tarrasque and it melts the wizard, as expected. Everyone panics, I just sit there in disbelief until game ends.
>>
File: newman steps up to the base.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
newman steps up to the base.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>46388114
>losing to a creature without flight or a ranged attack
>>
File: 1421970890148.jpg (28 KB, 336x213) Image search: [Google]
1421970890148.jpg
28 KB, 336x213
>>46388177
>implying I can fly away from a gargantuan creature while underground

>implying i'm going to lose, in any case
a strategic retreat isn't losing! b-baka anon.
>>
File: ctnMV6f.png (89 KB, 395x524) Image search: [Google]
ctnMV6f.png
89 KB, 395x524
So, I downloaded Dundjinni, and I've had a bitch of a time with it,keeps giving me shit like the pic. Any others that offer similar results? Preferred opensource programs or websites or whatever
>>
File: 583543061.jpg (45 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
583543061.jpg
45 KB, 512x384
>>46388016
I like this idea
>>
File: 1413665858953.gif (1 MB, 193x135) Image search: [Google]
1413665858953.gif
1 MB, 193x135
>>46388114
That doesn't sound like it's in OotA.
>>
>>46388256
I have absolutely no doubt it's not. Maybe he straight up decided he wanted a TPK or something, but that "rocks fall, everyone dies" wasn't something he could do, or something.

Ah well. Luring it into the nearest city as I die is something to look forward to at the very least.
>>
I may be joining a 5e game fairly soon. It's still a bit away, but I'm already throwing character ideas around in my head.

How much optimization is required to make fighters work? I know the issues of caster supremacy are somewhat weakened but not gone, but in some editions fighters are just bad without paying strict attention to builds. Are they generally more viable, or should I consider a bit of minmaxing necessary?

Secondly, if I wanted to play a character as close as possible to a 4e Warlord, what should I play? A bard?
>>
>>46388286
The answer to both questions is a Battlemaster Fighter, though if you want to up the ante n warlordness, Besides just choosing commander's strike and rally as maneuvers, You may consider the Magic Initiate feat, choosing to pick spells from Bard and grabbing Healing Word.
>>
>>46388286
Fighters are pretty okay this time around.

Valour Bard or a Battlemaster with some Charisma are what you're after. You should recognize a lot of maneuvers and feats from 4e
>>
>>46388285
Just fly away
>>
>>46388318
>>46388338
All right, thanks guys. I'll get to work as soon as I'm sure I'm in the game.
>>
File: 1456602831095.png (48 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
1456602831095.png
48 KB, 192x192
>>46385525
Top kek. Whenever some fags asks me again about Blackshields, this will be the answer
>>
>>46388476
Blackshields? What is that?
>>
>>46385744
Best use of Contingency I know of is using Modify Memory to make yourself into a sleeper cell.

1. Create plan to kill guy
2. Cast Contingency Modify Memory to restore Memory to current state when you encounter the target.
3. Cast Modify Memory to erase plan and instead meet guy on friendly terms.
>>
>>46388841
>Cue Death Note soundtrack
>>
>>46387079
>Critical Role
Though the kind of Cleric you ask about only appears as a guest... Look for Kashaw.
>>
>>46386712
>Not playing the Death Cleric as a total edgelord

"I, Blackfist Ravensclaw, call upon the powers of Death. All things that live die, up comes down, what rises sets, what spins stops spinning! I am the End, Darkest Night in the blackest of hours! Fear my cold, clammy wrath!

>cue over dramatic pose
>>
>>46389092
Kashaw was fucking awful
>edgelord
>his god is his wife
>who he hates
>and doesn't actively worship
>yet still grants spells/powers
>despite being locked away
At least Zahra was interesting, and played by the Major.
>>
File: Disciples of the Outer Gods.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Disciples of the Outer Gods.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Cthulhufaq here again. Got what should be all classes I'm planning to do done, including the damn Creepy Fish-Man Sorcerer that was giving me such a headache. Been debating about making another Warlock patron based on Nodens, but I feel that might be a bit too Derlethian (Lovecraft created Nodens, but he's pretty deeply associated with Derleth's shitty "good vs evil" intrepertion of the Mythos). Still, having a patron based around "those other eldritch gods, especially Nyarlathotep, are assholes, fuck them and fuck their shit" might be funny.

New in this version:
>Minor fixes/updates
>New Sorcerer Origin built around my fetish: rolling on random tables. Also body horror, I quess, but let's be honest, it's mostly about random tables
>Creepy Fish-Man Sorcer Origin: Be the fish, man! Creep out your friends! Be probably mechanically inferior to every other Sorcerer Origin because your big thing is turning into a disqusting half-fish, half-man abomination! (you get some free spells, though, so I quess that compensates a bit)
>Wizard. Sorry, nothing particularly groundbreaking here. Sorcerers get to turn into horrible abominations againt nature, while Wizards get bonuses to arcana checks, fear resistance and a chanse to hijack somebody else's summoned minion.
>Aberration-Slayer Paladin. Not even going to pretend this is Lovecraftian in the slightest, but Paladins going around brandishing the Elder Sign, going full Inquistion on cultists and bashing tentacled horrors in the face was just too cool to pass up on.

I'm planning to add some stablocks for monsters still. Never actually done that in 5th edition before, so I'll have to see how it works out. The ones I'm planning to include are:

>Basic Deep One (probably modifying Sahuaguin stats) and Deep One Priest (higher CR version that can cast some spells)
>Byakhee (really ugly flying aberration cultists can use as mounts)
>Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath (archeotypical big tentacle monster)
>>
>>46385525
Where did you get a picture of my players?
>>
>>46389960
Wait what where did I get a name from

Hiro-kun pls
>>
I'm still very confused about determining the CR of a NPC created as a PC. Is there any easy formula for that?
>>
>>46389985
Compare what you make to the NPC statblocks in the MM and bump up CR by how much stronger the creature you make is in comparison to the NPC counterpart. They have plenty to go off of in the MM.
>>
Writing adventures is hard

How do you forever DMs do it
>>
>>46389985
There's a table in the DMG of generic monster stats by CR to use as a baseline when making up monsters.
>>
>>46390222
Hard work.
>>
File: 1453583377598.jpg (59 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1453583377598.jpg
59 KB, 919x720
>>46389671
>Yog-Sothoth
>1st level feature is a skill that can be changed
>doesn't include stuff like musically instruments
>only one skill
Goddamnit man you're contending with other features like "charm everyone" or fucking cha mod to all fire spells+2 cantrips+resistance to radiant damage. That's a lot of goddamn shit that you could get otherwise and instead you get one skill.
>6th level
>transport
That's not even a movement type in 5e, switch to teleport. I'm not sure if it fares well against the "oh you're dying? Stand back up with half health and blind all enemies" of undying light" but it seems to fare well with the demon thing of 1d10 to any skill check per short rest.
>10th level
>advantage once per short rest
This is shitty in comparison to other 10th level things, Demons get variable resistance, Fey get goddamn immunity to charms and can throw them back at people, and fucking normal GOO can't be mind read, resistance to psychic damage and being able to reflect it back at people.
>14th level teleport
>can't use if restrained
Did you fucking read the fucking player's handbook? It's a fucking verbal spell and so the normal version can be used even if restrained, and all the other shit like "doesn't require somatic/material components" is completely pointless.

>Shub-Niggurath
>1st level is double healing from hit die and advantage on death saves
It's neat I guess, the spell lists full of healing could lead to lots of short rests and healing spells versus using hit die but whatever
>6th level is ranger companion without having to spend actions to make it attack and more HP, except no progression
This is pretty neat, I like it, but it'd suck at higher levels.
>10th level is resistance to necrotic and no hitpoint maximum reduction
Not very good, try to make it fare with other 10th level features
>14th level is immortality, no poisons or diseases, and count as aberration
I like it
Overall it's neat but in execution most of these suck, please rebalance
>>
>>46390222
Don't worry so much about planning, just make a basic tree structure of where things will go depending on the party's choices, just make sure it always has a "they fucked up bad" branch
>>
>>46390468
What the shit? That's not my name
>>
>>46390497
>he doesn't know
APRIL FOOLS YOU FAGGOT
>>
>>46390497
You may not be aware of this, but April 1st is when most websites, usually American, do annoying bullshit because "HUUR DURR APRIL FOOLZ LOLZ! AREN'T WE SOOOOOOO CLEVER?"

It's best to just get off the internet for the day, just as I'm going to from now.
>>
>>46390222
I never write adventures. I write circumstances and key figures and let the players do the hard work for me.
>>
File: No fun allowed.jpg (13 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
No fun allowed.jpg
13 KB, 218x231
>>46390531
As opposed to on 4chan, when we do it all year round?
>>
>>46390421
>It's a fucking verbal spell and so the normal version can be used even if restrained, and all the other shit like "doesn't require somatic/material components" is completely pointless.
The idea was that it's not really a spell, as much as you literally stepping into the fourth dimension or whatever. Hence you don't need any components to use it, but can't do it if you can't move.

I'm kind of worried about making things too broken, so I defaulted to simpler abilities. If they should be better, I could make the Subby minion actually scale (and move it to lv. 10) and let the Yog lv 10 ability to be used more than once before resting/affect other rolls as well (I originally had it also give opponent disadvantage but felt that might be too much).
>>
>>46390507
>>46390531
As a non-native American, while I am aware of April Fools, I'm still at the point at which I sometimes forget

And I'm glad, because that's the spirit of the thing
>>
>>46387361
No, it's just that their code is less likely to have strong moral implications, IE, they're probably not religious Good Samaritans. It can still be very personal. Uh, John Wick? Samurai? Judge Dredd definitely counts, he's just not the full range.
>>
>>46390668
April Fools isn't just an American thing, we have it in Australia too. I think it's a Western thing or an Anglosphere thing.
>>
>>46390421
>actually taking undying light into account

Come on Mabel don't be dense
>>
>>46390740
I'm hispanic, our equivalent holiday is in November or something, I forget
>>
>>46389671
I want a rogue archetype that draws from Nyarlathotep, has a familiar (you should make some familiars for warlocks and also this hypotheical) and can dispel magic into wild magic events because chaos is fucking nigh.

Also a fighter archetype that's about giving up your humanity for tentacle attacks. Shub-Niggurath seems like she's down with fighters. Con and Str are her favorites.
>>
Would this hypothetical paladin Channel Divinity be unbalanced as a bonus action? Should I change it to a standard action?

>Baleful Blade
>As a bonus action, you can open a necromantic siphon of power between your life energy and your weapon.
>For one minute, all necrotic damage you deal bypasses resistance. The damage type of your Divine Smite (and Improved Divine Smite, if you have it) changes to necrotic.
>While in effect, you may sacrifice 1d10 health or one paladin hit die to roll double the damage dice of a SINGLE melee weapon attack you make. (Meaning, if you wish to use this on multiple attacks per turn, you'll need to make the sacrifice multiple times.) If you choose to take damage for this, it targets your HP directly, bypassing any temporary hit points, and cannot be reduced or resisted in any way.
>You may choose to end the effects of Baleful Blade at any point during its duration.
>If you are at half health or lower during the effects of Baleful Blade, add your charisma modifier to your melee weapon attack damage rolls.
>>
>>46389671
What program do you use for this?
>>
>>46385525
I don't know nothing about no contingency, but I'd do what my party bard did and cast programmed illusion every morning. It's by far the most versatile and useful illusion spell.
>>
>>46390791

please

stop
>>
>>46390814
Thanks for the constructive criticism hombre
>>
>>46390531
Eh, some of the stuff is actually pretty cool that places manage to short up.
>>
How many encounters should it take to get the party from level one to two, and two to three?

Using milestone XP, so an "encounter" can be non-combat.
>>
>>46390594
>but can't do it if you can't move
>restrained
You probably want to rewrite that as "if you're unable to move", otherwise sure it works. Not really sure if it's really as good as other features but whatever, it doesn't mark me as being awful

>scaling better animal companion at level 10
Yeah that seems right, at least to me, it does
>advantage multiple times
>affecting others
I could be okay with maybe a lucky feat like feature
Like you shove another d20 whenever you want per shortrest and you can pick which die you/the target uses

May as well look at the other ones
>Nyarlathotep
>1st level is don't attack me, but it's not written in a way that makes sense
Undying Warlock has a feature that makes it so whenever an undead attacks you, it has to make a wis save and if it fails it can't attack you until it's next turn. You may want to emulate this feature like that because the wording has you make a deception against something that's not specified once per short rest.
>6th level thing
oh jeez, just make it for all illusion spells because otherwise it's really not worth typing out what it is because of how bad this is
You may want to drop it completely because it's really not good
>10th level thing
What the fuck is a compact? Do you mean contract? Like "do this motherfucker" and if they don't go with it do they take the shitton of damage? d6+cha mod per warlock level would kill most creatures because that could be 20d6+20 cha mods, so like 20d6+100 if you max out cha. You may want to tone it down a little, like 1d8 per warlock level, no cha mod, or something
>14th level is giving others disadvantage on other's saves against your illusions per short rest
I don't know if it's really that good, I don't know illusion spells that well, but it probably isn't that good

I don't know about clerics enough to even try to talk about it
>druid thing
I don't know about druids either, but, the wild shape for 1d8+con is stupid, druids get 2 wild shapes per short rest
>>
>>46386301
Except for when they do
>>
>>46390791
Drop the half-health-or-lower effect (especially because it encourages the player to walk around at half hit points all day every day).

The health-to-damage effect is pretty broken, because as it is, you can use it an unlimited number of times per attack - and even if you can't, a Paladin burning a fifth level slot would still just be expending 5.5 hit points to deal at least an additional 5d8 damage purely from Smite (likely he would have a Smite spell up, and Improved Divine Smite, in addition to weapon damage).

I'd suggest making it a 'reroll any or all damage dice' ability instead of flat out doubling damage.

Also, consider the interaction of that ability with a dip of Shadow Sorcerer 1.

Necrotic damage and resistance bypass is fine, and is basically 'this weapon counts as magic' for the purposes of damage.
>>
>>46390791

>double the damage dice of a SINGLE melee weapon attack you make

>Paladins already roll a massive handful of dice. Let's double it with a bonus action, and make that usable dozens of times per day if the party has even a little bit of healing.

Just, like, read more stuff before you try to make your own.
>>
>>46390856
I'd do it when it feels like they've got a feel for the abilities of their current level instead of doing it per encounter, if at all possible.
>>
>>46390856

Aim for once every two or three sessions. Less often than that, and most players will get frustrated with the lack of progress.
>>
>>46390797
Website called naturalcrits.com I think. Seen it used pretty often here.
>>
>>46390859
>I don't know about druids either, but, the wild shape for 1d8+con is stupid, druids get 2 wild shapes per short rest
Stupid as in too good or too bad? Because at high level you get a lot of wild shapes, up to an unlimited amount at lv. 20.
>>
>>46390888
>>46390879
The "roll double damage dice" is only for the weapon's damage. It can't be used on smite damage.
For instance, if you're using a greatsword, and sacrifice 1d10 health when this effect is active, the greatsword would deal 4d6 instead of 2d6 for one attack. (Meaning, if you have extra attack, it doesn't deal double for both.)
It does not increase the damage done by Divine Smite whatsoever.

Also, >>46390879
>Necrotic damage and resistance bypass is fine, and is basically 'this weapon counts as magic' for the purposes of damage.
It doesn't change your base weapon damage to necrotic, just your Divine Smite.
So if you hit an enemy resistant to nonmagical weapons, it will obviously take full damage from your Divine Smite, if you use it (unless it's immune to necrotic) but it will still take half damage from your weapon.
>>
>>46390980
>The "roll double damage dice" is only for the weapon's damage.
Then specify that instead of 'damage from a melee weapon attack'. But the precedent established by crits is that doubled damage dice includes any additional dice from Smite, Sneak Attack, Hex, Hunter's Mark or any other similar sources.

>it will still take half damage from your weapon.
Which doesn't matter too much. Beyond the first few levels, the majority of the Paladin's damage comes from sources other than its weapon's damage dice.
>>
>>46391058
>the precedent established by crits is that doubled damage dice includes any additional dice from Smite, Sneak Attack, Hex, Hunter's Mark or any other similar sources.
The book never states this anywhere; this is just a popular RAW interpretation.
>>
>>46390791
Are you the custom card guy plaguing the modern magic threads?
>>
>>46391083
Yes it does. Plain as day.

>RolI all of the attack's damage dice twice and add them together.
>>
>>46391094
I don't play MTG.
>>
>>46391083
>The book never states this anywhere; this is just a popular RAW interpretation.
>the book never states this, it's just RAW
I- what?

As per PHB page 196:
>For example, if you score a critical hit with a dagger, roll 2d4 for the damage, rather than 1d4, and then add your relevant ability modifier. If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue’s Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well.
>>
>>46391096
Smite damage is not weapon damage; it's damage granted by an additional effect applied to a weapon.
>>
>>46391099
Neither does the custom card guy. He just trolls threads with obviously overpowered bullshit.
>>
>>46391108
Oh, I'm retarded.
>>
>>46391083
The book quite states it, literally, verbatim, RAW

>>46391123
>If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue's Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well.
>>
>>46390977
Well you regen them on a short rest
So it's just like the fighter feature that's a d10+fighter level as a bonus action per short rest
My problem with it is that it's healing without a spell slot that could be exploited pretty easily
>>
>>46391123
Smite damage is not weapon damage, but it is damage from a melee weapon attack, just like how additional damage from a high-level Greenflame Blade or Booming Blade is also damage from a melee weapon attack.
>>
>>46390888
>make that usable dozens of times per day
Paladins can use one Channel Divinity per rest.
You might be able to use it dozens of times during a single combat encounter, if you're lucky, but you'll be quickly killing yourself if you do.
>>
>>46390859
Hey, I was the guy that first came up with the Nyarl stuff and I have some opinions on your criticism
>first feature
Yeah, could stand to be rewritten to be specifically a deception contest vs insight, but that should be relatively obvious

>6th
That was originally my intention

>10th
A compact is a thing, look it up. And it's not a geas spell. If you actually read the thing you should notice you can only make it with a willing creature. The damage is intentionally huge because, firstly, if you agreed to the terms then you have to deal, plus it goes both ways. And secondly, it's not lethal. It leaves you at 1hp and 1int, basically a vegetable, but not dead. It's not meant to be a combat thing, though it could be used in combat.

>14th
It's pretty great IMO, but you actually have to get creative for it to make a difference
>>
http://theangrygm.com/fighting-spirit/

Thoughts? I like it.
>>
>>46387000
Homebrew a golem made entirely out of garbage. A literal Trash Man.
>>
Any good homebrew ranger?
I used to think fighter is the shittiest and then I start playing Ranger.

Off-topic but how can I add this thread to thread watcher?
The april fool theme doesn't have any buttons.
>>
I noticed recently that CoS makes reference to Zhudun, the Corpse Star, which was one of the stars referred to in the Revelations of Melech, which I thought was only a 4e thing. Do the star and/or the revelations predate 4e?
>>
>>46391247
I might do this, but rather than complicate things like that, combine it with negative hit points and the DMG injury table
>>
>>46391394
>fighter
>the shittiest

What in the everloving fuck? Are you brain damaged, kid?

And ranger is ok, but there is plenty of good homebrew for it, and the UA:ranger makes it borderline broken
>>
>>46391493
>What in the everloving fuck? Are you brain damaged, kid?
I dunno. Everyone else always more useful than my friend who always roleplay as fighter.
Now I'm playing as ranger and I can tell I'm more useless than his fighter.
>>
So I asked this yesterday and all I got was
>If you are charmed by a vampire you won't attack your allies
>Yes you will attack your allies
or
>It's up to your DM if they attack your allies

Assuming your DM is making it so your allies will attack you; How the fuck do you deal with vampires charm? Assuming the vampire charms the only person that can dispel it first
>>
File: Lovecraftian Monsters.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraftian Monsters.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hello /5eg/, found some homebrew you might like. It's a conversion of Lords of Madness creatures like tsochari and neogi.
>>
>>46391553
You're a friend to the vampire and protect him. If your allies stand down, then you just broke up a fight between your friends!
If your allies are clearly hostile to the vampire, then you must break up the fight.
>>
>>46391523
The fighter has
>All the proficiencies
>fighting styles
>more attacks per turn than anyone else
>motherfucking action surge
>second wind
>battlemaster has kickass manouvers
>EK can cast some bitching spells
>champ is meh at first, but becomes absolute fucking monster by the mid levels

What is your friend even doing?
What are you doing even? Ranger is the most flavorful class and not at all a slouch

>>46391568
Great find, Dale
>>
What the fuck is this name shit
>>
>>46391640
You too May. Hope you enjoy controlling people with Lovecraftian jellyfish.
>>
What sort of creature would inhabit a coastal cave full of the toxic breath of a dormant green dragon?

The dragon isn't intended to wake up unless the party prods it, so said inhabitants should be the primary combat focus of the dungeon.
>>
>>46391680
Check the date.
(American date, not April 2nd if ur a cheeky Aussie cunt)
>>
>>46391680
Get with the times Josie (can I call you Josie?) The anonymous thing is so early 2000s
>>
>>46391704
Perhaps slimes and undead?
>>
>>46391684
I was thinking a follow-up to strahd using a mirrored plane and a GOO plot, this works excellently
>>
>>46391523
Have you considered the possibility that the problem isn't your class?
>>
>>46385595
HERE BE FURIES
>>
So what's going to be the next unearthed arcana?
>>
If my players are resting and invisible imps try to steal something from them, do they use an active perception check or is it passive?
>>
This new account system is helping me come up with so many names for my next campaign.
>>
>>46392104
Against stealthing enemies, it's pretty much always passive.
>>
>>46391247
I wonder how spare the dying and undying warlock would work with this?

I would rule spare the dying gives you 1 fighting spirit and undying warlock would have the ability to do what would basically be a death saving throw to gain d8+con fighting spirit by using an action
>>
>>46392075
Most likely something based on survey results, I'm guessing new archetypes for whatever classes they decide need them or new races (maybe classes)
Could be a third take on psion, but the last one they did was pretty great so I would expect the next version to just be on the phb2
>>
>>46392165
Phb2 is confirmed? Your source please?
>>
>>46391247
Sounds pretty neat. I'd like to hear it turns out for him and anyone else who tries it.
>>
I didn't really want to make a new thread for this, so here we go.

I'm gonna play a Barbarian for an upcoming 3.5 campaign and I was wondering just how useful Dexterity is if I don't plan on dual wielding. Should I get a couple of points in it (we're using a 32 point buy system) or buff my Charisma/Wisdom a bit more?
>>
>>46392190
In the latest survey they said they were laying early groundwork for the first big mechanical expansion of 5E.
>>
>>46392190
No source, just wild speculation. But a new book is coming eventually and it will definitely be either another campaign book with more options or a phb2
>>
>>46392268
>3.5
>>
>>46392268
Barbs can go up to medium armor while still enjoying the benefits of Rage. That means you will probably want at least 14 in there by some point, giving you an eventual 17 AC without a shield or magic items.
>>
Anyone here has a complete Blood Magus/Blood Mage class?
Everything I could find missed some stuff.
>>
>>46392104
Passive, unless they're aware and looking for them.
>>
You are tasked with picking a new "common" race (Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Human) to be included in PHB2.

What do you choose/invent?

You can also add one "uncommon" (Tiefling, Dragonborne, etc) race. What is it?
>>
>>46385959
Fighter.
Simple is sometimes best.

Or Swashbuckler rogue/Bard to call all your opponents fags and then dash away.
>>
>>46386529
>Starts playing Thriller on the flute

>Zombies dance in tune

This is now an item for ''The tomb of the Necrodancer!''
>>
>>46392566
>new common race
Goblinoid or Orc

>new uncommon race
Gith
>>
>>46392566
All the common ones have really been done. As for uncommon, either goblin, kobold, or an actual Minotaur or Warforged race instead of UA.
>>
>>46392635
>magic flute that casts save-or-mind-control on nearby undead
>cannot order them to attack, only to carry out simple action
>ends after ten minutes or if more than 100' from the flute
>>
>>46392566
>common
I dunno. Humans, but bald, blind, and latently slightly Psionic?

>uncommon
Aasimar, but less boring than the DMG version.
>>
>>46386709
EK fighter.
Be a tank and get lore/knowledge.

Get the Sword Burst, Booming blade, and Lightning Lure cantrips as well as spell sniper the sooner the better.

>You were trying to get past me to attack my casters?
>Well too bad! Lightning lure! + Melee Weapon attack

>Oh noes all these trash mobs got me surrounded!
>SWORD BURST everyone within 10 feet takes force damage! +1 target gets to eat some sword

>You want to run?
>Well too bad i managed to hit you with Booming blade

Etc.
>>
>>46387256
Only on Shortswords and Daggers.
The rest of their weapons aren't finesse.
>>
>Hazel's potion sprayer of awakened body
Wondrous Item
Choose a creature within 5 feet and make an attack roll. If successful you are now in control of one of its sets of limbs for a minute or until the creature uses an action to take and pass a DC17 wisdom save and can use your action to give it a command
Legs: can force the creature to move up to its speed, take the dash action or make an unarmed melee attack (kick)
Arms: can force a creature to drop any items it is holding or take an attack action on any target including itself
>>
>>46387273
Monk weapons are explicitly not called Finesse. It's a separate list of weapons which replicate the effects of finesse, but only if you're a monk.
>>
Can anyone here explain 5E to me in brief?

I thought Sword Coast Legends would be in 5E, but it turned out to be a weak mess of MMOism. Sad. Still playing it for the story, alas.

Also, how has Faerun changed since 4E?
>>
>>46392566
Common: Orc
Uncommon: Goblinoid
>>
>>46389149
Also make it funny as hell.

Play him as Ranta from Grimgar.
>>
>>46392635
I've been fantasizing about a Necrodancer campaign for a while.
It'd totally need a beat mechanic, to determine if you are in rhythm or not.
>>
>>46392883
>Hazel's Musical Broom, Beelzebub
Broom of flying, can be used as a musical instrument (banjo)
The user can use his or her action to play the banjo and that way give a simultaneous command to all creatures affected by Hazel's Potion Sprayer
Beelzebub also follows the rules for a familiar when not being used as a broom of flying or a banjo, it uses the stats for an owl but with a +10 to the Athletics skill
>>
>>46392929

I've always just said that half-orcs aren't real, and the stats listed in the PHB are for actual orcs. Never saw the purpose in restricting players from playing a real orc.
>>
>>46392923
3.5 but easier, no ivory tower and no bloat
>>
>>46393046
That sounds mad baller.

I can't help but be deadly curious about how Faerun is doing. The setting has been painted over so many times now over the decades, layer over layer over layer, that it has already had a great feeling of richness to it, despite much of the content being self-insert masturbation by some unlovable authors.
>>
>>46392923

>Can anyone here explain 5E to me in brief?

It's like 3rd edition, but much more balanced, and with far fewer fiddly little modifiers to keep track of. No more stacking up eight different buff spells or recalculating everything on your sheet after an undead creature gives you a bad touch. Characters typically won't be walking Christmas trees of magical items, either.

It also has vastly fewer options for players, since there are no splatbooks (yet).

As for Faerun, dunno. Never much fancied Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>46392566
Common: Aquatic Elf

Uncommon: Kobold subrace closing in on stature to Dwarves + Stronger.
>>
>>46393081
There's a splat about the Sword Coast, but not much for the rest of the continent.
>>
Anyone hope for a new UA featuring more diverse and actually functional feats?

I for one would love to see some of the existing feats slightly reworked.

Example would be Medium Armour Master for which i'd allow a +Dex mod of 3 instead of 2.

Magic initiate spell slot refreshing on Short rests or having 2 lvl 1 spell slots instead of 1.

Tavern Brawler stacking with Monks MA die.

Some sort of Unarmoured Feat that requires you to pick one mental stat and lets you calculate your AC with it as 13+Mental stat Mod (yeah i know mage armour but i like this more and avoids MC cheese + it's just an option).
>>
>>46393299
>>Example would be Medium Armour Master for which i'd allow a +Dex mod of 3 instead of 2.
what but this is already a thing
>>
>>46390421
>>46390859
Ok, made the following changes based on the feedback:

Yog-Sothoth:
>1st level ability still lets you gain an extra skill, but also lets you cast one divination spell known to you without using a spell slot (once per short rest).
> 6th level ability stays the same aside from minor change in wording.
>10th level ability changed to let you use your reaction to make yourself or another creature you can see reroll a die, and after rerolling choose whether whether to use the original or the rerolled result (once per short rest).
>14th level ability stays the same but with wording changed to make it clearer it doesn't count as casting a spell, but can't be used if you can't move.

Shub Niggurath:
>6th level ability is now the 10th level ability, and the minion scales like the ranger animal companion.
>Former 10th level ability is now the 6th level ability

Nyarlathotep:
>1st level ability now lets you use your reaction to make a creature attacking you take a Wis save against your warlock spell DC. If they fail, they can't attack you untill their next turn. If the pass, you can't use the ability on the same creature for 24 hours.
>6th level ability no longer has the once per short rest limitation, works on both enchantment and illusion spells and also removes the need for material components (effectively you can cast said spells with no visible signs that you're casting anything).
>10th level ability's damage is now d8 per warlock level, no Cha added. It's still a "ribbon" ability, and I would consider replacing it if I had a better idea.
>14th level ability no affects both illusion and enchantment spells. Might remove the once per short rest limitation, but not sure if that would make it too good.
>>
>>46393321
So i dun goofed didn't i?

Maybe something like advantage on saves against getting knocked prone?
>>
>>46390879
>>46391058
How do these changes sounds? I removed the +CHA at half health thing, and reworded the rest of it to make it clearer, so that it's not misunderstood.

>Channel Divinity: Baleful Blade

>As a bonus action, you can open a necromantic siphon of power between your life energy and your weapon, that lasts for one minute.
>For one minute, all necrotic damage you deal bypasses resistance. The damage type of your Divine Smite (and Improved Divine Smite, if you have it) changes to necrotic.
>While in effect, for any melee attack you make, you may roll double the dice for the melee weapon attack damage of that attack. Any additional effects that may be applied to your attack or to your weapon, such as Divine Smite, do not double as a result of this. This bonus can only be used once per melee weapon attack you make, and can only affect one melee weapon attack at a time, meaning, if you have Extra Attack and wish to give both of your attacks this damage bonus, you will have to make the sacrifice twice, once for each attack. This bonus cannot be applied more than once per weapon attack.
>If you choose to take damage for this, it targets your HP directly, bypassing any temporary hit points, and cannot be reduced or resisted in any way.
>You may choose to end the effects of Baleful Blade at any point during its duration.
>>
What is the stats for an offspring of:

>dwarf / human
>dwarf / elf
>elf / orc
>dwarf / orc
>elf/gnome
>dwarf/halfling
>aasimar/tiefling
>>
>>46385525
>My groups first session playing Curse of Strahd
>Go to chapel, hear screaming from basement
>Ask priest whats up, "Ah, my son was cursed by Strahd, I keep him in a cage and feed him so that he does not endanger others."
>Paladin and Rogue both say, "Well why don't you let us kill your son for you then?"

Who in their right mind would think that a reasonable family man would want us to kill their son.
>>
>>46393869
A Mul
Impossible!
An orc, or a half orc.
An orc, or a half orc
A really short half elf
A halfling with REALLY hairy feet
Probably just a human/whatever their base is? That, or an aasimar OR a tiefling.
>>
>>46393869
The racial traits of their dominant genetic parent, the subracial traits of their other parent.

Otherwise, fluff.
>>
Is there any exploits in D&D 5e? Especially exploits at early levels?
>>
>>46393869
Depends on your views on race and species.

Half-elves are a thing (elf/human cross), so elves could actually be considered a race of humans, or vice-versa.

Half-orcs are a thing, but the PHB only mentions them as orc/human crossbreeds. So add orcs to the list of human races (or orcs/humans/elves are all races of one overall species).

There is no such thing as half-dwarves anywhere that I've seen, so dwarves and humans are probably separate species. You might be able to get a viable offspring, but much like mules IRL they'd probably be infertile.

Gnome hybrids have similarly never been mentioned, so they're probably also a completely separate species, like dwarves.

You could make the case either way for halflings - if elves and orcs are hominid races, halflings are plausible. But on the other hand, given that we've never heard of a half-halfling, it's entirely possible that they're a separate species. That or a human/halfling cross produces offspring who appear physically as a halfling or a human, rather than a mix.

Tieflings and Aasimar are basically humans who have infernal/celestial influence in their bloodline. Reproductively-speaking, they're basically human, except with a chance of passing down their infernal/celestial heritage to their offspring.
>>
>>46393881
Donavich knows what has to be done. He's just not strong enough to do it.
>>
>>46394122
>>>/3.PF/
>>
>>46391394
Catalog mang.
>>
>>46393299
> terrible ideas
Shut up, Margie.
>>
>>46393869
> Depends on the setting
>>
>>46386301
Are you just being a contrarian at this point? Maybe his DM is doing a level 15 campaign and let's them have certain levels of magic items. And before you say something stupid, yes the DM probably will review it, anon is just looking for a cool idea.
>>
Would there be any balance to the idea of getting the class benefits of two classes but none of the archetype benefits, as a hybrid or gestalt style character?
>>
A flute that plays no sound but instead converts the users breath to gas based on the song played.

Standard charge system, regaining charges per day, different gasses consume different amounts of charges.
>>
>>46394817
For what fucking purpose
>>
>>46393352
Strongly disagree with the nyarl changes, 1st level skill is now just a non-specific undyig that uses up your reaction
6th is now way too strong
but it's your beast now so do as you will
>>
Has any one ever made a barbarian archer or fighter/barbarian archer? I know just going fighter or ranger would work better for an archer but I wanted to make a Mongolian horse archer kind of character.
>>
>>46394973
It's not a great idea, man. You can be a horse archer as a fighter, a 'barbarian' is specifically of the Conan type. Besides, the mongols were not barbarians, they were more cultured and sophisticated than Europeans when they invaded!
>>
>>46394973
mongols weren't really barbarians except in the fact that they were "uncivilized others"
Like they had well-made/intricate clothing & crafts, didn't default to "hit with axe", were well-organized, etc.

You'd be best off going Cavalier (UA Kits of Old) Fighter.
>>
>>46394973
>I wanted to make a Mongolian horse archer kind of character.

Tornadoes fall, everyone dies.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.