[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gurpsgen/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55
File: 1458509861360.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1458509861360.pdf
1 B, 486x500
404 no more edition

gurpscharactersheet.com
>>
Stale Bread
>>46318352
>>
Guys, last thread 404'd in under 50 posts. If there's not a lot to talk about, don't start a thread. Generals without actual discussion topics do no one any good. Wait till someone has a question and build off of that.
>>
>>46340227
Maybe I should be less shit of an OP and start the discussion, but I'm creatively drained for the day.
>>
I know it is pretty memey but I made a Dungeon Fantasy Racial Template for Kobolds.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/03/racial-template-kobold-cutebold.html

I also wrote an idea on combining the concepts of CER from Pyramid #3/77 with the random encounter rolls from Dungeon Fantasy 2
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/03/random-encounter-tables-total.html

I think it is surprisingly simple, but surprisingly helpful.
>>
I'm thinking about a first combat for a group new to GURPS to help them understand the various ways that it's different from other games they've played.

Maybe a large monster with a shield arm to encourage positioning, and a big eye or glowing stone to get them to use hit locations.

Just thinking out loud since nothing's going on.
>>
>>46341007
You could always put several torches on the wall or fire pits around.

Then put ceramic flask of oil all over the bad guy. Have him throw them at people to make slick parts on the ground, and fires if the torches touch them.

The party can break the flask on his body then hit him with a torch.
>>
>>46341123
Useful and interesting environments is something I struggle with, so ideas like that would be good, too.

Closest I had was a fire monster on a rampage, so most of the group held it off while one guy got water from the village's only well.
>>
>>46341301

Don't be afraid of big stupid oblivious gimmicks. Why not a fight in a room where there's a giant grinder on one wall or a big ass pit full of spikes? Things to climb on are good too. Ranged enemies on fragile bamboo towers, stone pillars or trees.

>>46340871
>http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/03/racial-template-kobold-cutebold.html

That's pretty good, thanks man.
>>
>>46340054
Rebirth Anon:

Not counting Reduced Attribute as disadvantages won't break the game much unless someone abuses the fact that you don't -need- IQ to fight. 8 IQ gives you 40 extra points. With new players you aren't going to have many that rape the game.
>>
>>46340054
Here are some more interesting resources I found for GURPS outside of the pdf and GCS

http://gamingballistic.blogspot.com/p/gurps-101.html

https://www.rpgsolo.com/play.php
>>
>>46341670
When I drop IQ I tend to spend these points on Willpower and Perception anyway. So, stupid, but not mentally handicapped.
>>
>>46342130
Gameing ballistic is a very cool resource. Good place to start
>>
>>46340054
So how do grenade launchers work? I am using the 25mm underbarrel grenade launcher from UT, which is statted as 4d pi++, but is that 4d pi++ like initial damage from the grenade impact before it explodes or something?
>>
Does your group give players a time limit to decide what to do in combat? If so, how long?
>>
>>46344355
No hard and fast limit but it's defiantly considered polite and good play to have your turn more or less planned and to have researched your options ahead of time.

Try to be ready to suggest something if they aren't sure what to do. When in doubt, deceptive attack / predictive shot down to 14/15 SL and attack isn't the worst way to spend your time.
>>
>>46343385
Yes, IIRC, that's the grenade damage. There's a rule somewhere about what direct impact damage not counting the explosion is.
>>
>>46343385
IIRC that's the damage of an inert projectile out of the 25mm underbarrel. Look at warhead options for what kind of exploding it dose.
>>
Bamp
>>
>>46343385
Ultra-Tech always gives damage for solid slugs in weapon tables. Explosive ammunition stats are in ammunition chapter.

Though it's weird that grenade launcher would have a pi++ damage - they usually use low-velocity projectiles, so solid slug should give crushing damage, maybe with double knockback.
>>
>>46345755
Not all grenade launchers are low velocity. The 25x59mm rounds made for the XM109 and ACSW hit harder then .50 BMG

Of course, the mass of those things mean they have even more recoil. You wouldn't want to shoot them from something under a rifle.
>>
So, a while ago I saw a History Channel presentation on Caligula, which mentioned that the act which caused the Senate to finally put an assassination plan into action was him saying he was going to move the capital of the Roman Empire to Alexandria. It also mentioned that he had a daughter, who died in the assassination.

This got me thinking: What if the reason he wanted to move the capital was because of Ancient Egyptian Magic? What if his daughter survived the attack, and (for whatever reason) decided to try for the lost Egyptian magic herself, in an effort to live up to her father's legacy (or some shit)?

Is this a completely retarded idea for a game or not?
>>
>>46346562
It's not retarded. In truth, Alexandra is in many ways a better place for an empire then Rome given it's more easily defensible and unlike Rome didn't have to import huge amounts of grain from Egypt.
>>
File: danseur_a_la_canne_by_arch0nium.png (180 KB, 900x1344) Image search: [Google]
danseur_a_la_canne_by_arch0nium.png
180 KB, 900x1344
What is a good and plausibly related grappling-based martial art Style to compliment a character that is trained in La Canne De Combat, Bare-Knuckle Boxing, and Savate?
>>
>>46347045
Sambo

scissor kick take downs FTW
>>
>>46340227
How effective is melee combat in battlesuits? I want some space operaish 40kish combat with guys hitting each other with shit in power armor.
>>
>>46347332
IIRC its a lot like normal combat but with lots of bonuses. Honestly I've never tried it though.
>>
File: 1362618241701.jpg (364 KB, 1024x1707) Image search: [Google]
1362618241701.jpg
364 KB, 1024x1707
>>46347332
>>46347722

Basic weapons melee vs battlesuits don't really do much. An average ST guy in a TL 9 battlesuit with a sword dose 3d+4 cut and the suit has 50 DR. With an average of 14.5, you'd need a armor divisor of 5 on the melee weapon to let it do damage, and 10 to make it a very serious threat.

That said, if you have a battlesuit you can pretty easily kill people without one with a sword. Even TL 9 tactical suits don't quite offer great protection to the limbs vs a guy with a battlesuit and a broadsword.

If you are in a battlesuit and need to take down another battlesuit, remember your CQC and do some grappling. Once you have them pinned you just have to remove the helmet in order to force a surrender or kill them.

>>46347045

Grecian Weaseling isn't exactly popular, but it's very easy to find experienced people to train and practice with. Modern day, I'd suggest judo, however, as it has the same advantage of being damn near everywhere and easy to get high quality practical education in.
>>
>>46347045
Wrestling in general. It is classical and fitting for European character.
>>
>>46347968
>Grecian Weaseling
What would a martial art based around the use of weasels look like?
>>
>>46348079

They are mostly of European *descent*, but not actually European.
>>
>>46347968

Isn't actual "Judo" Judo in GURPS basically centered around Judo Art (and therefore not primarily suited for combat)?
>>
>>46348178
No, 'Judo' skill in the BS is *actual* judo - a real, practical combat skill. 'Judo Art' is the mcdojo version, just like 'karate art', etc. In a "realistic" game, people who've learned judo, karate, wrestling, etc., in a local gym, for competition, but without real application should take the '*art/*sport' version - the genuine skill defaults to that skill at -3 (iirc).
>>
>>46348178
>>46348477
For more clarification, see the Combat Art or Sport skill on page 184 of the Basic Set. There may be a greater expansion of those rules in Martial Arts as well, but I'm not terribly familiar with that book.
>>
>>46348178
The style Judo is a sport style, but the skill itself is fine in combat (it's the best grappling skill for unarmed fighters vs. armed ones) and there are plenty of styles that employ it (esp. Jujutsu, modern Judo's progenitor that also taught strikes, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, which ups their ground game with the inclusion of Wrestling).
>>
>>46348178

GURPS Judo is specifically stated to be any system of wrestling, just as Karate is any codifed system of fighting with bare hands and feet.
>>
A player of mine wants to build a character which is half skeleton due to a lich's curse.

By half-skeleton, I mean split vertically from head to groin, with the left half of their body being perfectly normal and the right half being completely skeletal.

What advantages would I need to reflect this, and with what limitations?

I skimmed pyramid 3/1 as it has skeletal/zombie/demon arm replacements, but those are fairly light on mechanics.
>>
>>46349786
Appearance (Horrific; Universal, +25%) [-30], DR 2 (Partial, All but skull, right side only, -10%) [9]*, Claws (Blunt; Right hand only, -20%) [3], Injury Tolerance (No Blood, No Brain, No Eyes, No Vitals, Unliving; Directional, right only, -40%) [24]**

This assumes the fleshy half still requires food, air, sleep, and water, and bleeds as normal. It also assumes the brain is magically halved while still retaining full functionality; hitting the skeleton half's skull does not result in extra injury as the brain is not in that half. I did away with the Fragile, Unhealing, and Vulnerability to Crushing normally seen on animated skeleton templates because, while that's fine for undead mooks evil necromancers throw at the party, it's an issue for PCs that want some degree of survivability. Also like hell I'm bothering with figuring out more right-side-only shit (see below).

*The skull still has it's innate DR 2. "Partial, All but skull" was ripped from GURPS: Zombies. It's normally worth -5%. However, the Basic Set says to double the discount for Partial if it only applies to one limb rather than both (e.g. "Partial, Arms only" is worth -20% and "Partial, Right arm only" is worth -40%), so I doubled the limitation to -10%. I personally would give a larger discount, seeing as how "Directional, Right only" is worth -40%, but RAW this is how I think it's meant to be done.

**I couldn't find an easy way to work in Partial again, so I said fuck it and went with Directional from DR. Probably not the best way to do it.
>>
File: Undead.png (155 KB, 572x607) Image search: [Google]
Undead.png
155 KB, 572x607
>>46349786
Did you try checking magic? Theres a whole section on necromatci mages and liches.
>>
>>46350398
This is a fantastic write-up, thank you so much! This helps a lot, everything I needed and more.
>>
If I take Invisibility as a Sorcery spell, do I need to buy Switchable or can I just stop maintaining it whenever I want to be visible?
>>
>>46352114
Stop maintaining it. Don't pay the FP cost, spell effect fades.
>>
>>46349786
There's a section in Martial Arts - Gladiators about standing so that one side of your body is facing towards the enemy (p.21). That may help.
>>
>>46352300
Good tip, thanks!
>>
At what point does gadget limitations get cheesy? I got a mage who's magical abilities have been bound inside of a dagger so he can be disarmed of it. It does give me -60% tho, which with other smaller limitations puts most of my magical abilities in the -70 to -80% range.

It's an actual limitation, but it still feels cheesy.
>>
>>46354363
Take a step back and consider this: if the only thing separating your mage and an overeducated peasant is a single quick contest of DX, you have a pretty serious weakness. I don't think a -60% is cheesy at all. I am a little curious how you got to -60% strictly through Gadget limitations, though. If you're also using Breakable, that's another weakness. God help you if you included Unique; if the gadget containing the main ability that's central to your character concept can be lost or destroyed forever, you're making a very *very* dangerous gamble – and if your GM calls your bluff, you can end up as a depowered slump for the rest of the campaign.

The only way it could be cheesy is the same way every disadvantage and limitation can be cheesy: if the GM doesn't every act on it, it's free points.
>>
>>46352114
You only need Switchable on spells if you want to turn the effect on and off repeatedly while the spell lasts. If you wanted to flick back and forth between visible and invisible before the spell ends and without recasting it you'd need Switchable.
>>
>>46354363
You will have to do without your gadgets sometimes. It is a big limitation
>>
>>46354790
It's RPM, where it has to be repaired but will be considered as always succeeding in death saves. Basically it can be broken but won't be entirely destroyed.

The rest is intentional tho. I'm supposed to be able to be disarmed. At least I also have a bit of DX and HT along with a handful of useful skills.

>>46356880
That's fine.
>>
>>46340871
>Kobolds

>>>/out/
>>
>>46358379
Fuck off, dwarvie.
>>
>>46358379
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/03/martial-arts-style-vampire-killer.html
I tried making a martial arts style based on Castlevania. Is that a bit better, GURPSFriend?
>>
>>46359166

Okay yes that's better. You are forgiven.
>>
>>46341670

Thanks bruh, I was worried about this. It especially doesn't seem like a big deal considering it's only a 125 pt game.
>>
So /gurpsgen/, what is the point of crushing damage? What's it use and utility? I'm new and somehow it feels kind of useless.
>>
>>46360400
It's useful for attacking people in flexible armor mostly, as well as Unliving or Homogenous foes/objects as Crushing doesn't suffer hamstrung damage modifiers like other damage types in those scenarious.

Also, better knockback.
>>
>>46360400
Generally speaking, games like GURPS are not especially interested in making sure that everything has equal utility. Blunt force is usually the least effective way to try to kill somebody, so that is accurately reflected in the rules. There are a few niche cases (as >>46360595 pointed out), but for the most part, its worse than other damage types in the game because that's a realistic representation.
>>
>>46360854
Well I'm not speaking from a 'balance' point of view. Rather, I want to know why one would want a crushing weapon, or higher crushing damage. Those scenarios sound kind of specialized, though.
>>
>>46361174
I guess it depends on the campaign. One of my favorite and most effective characters ever used a great maul, to scary effectiveness.
>>
File: 1455910841576.jpg (161 KB, 900x1188) Image search: [Google]
1455910841576.jpg
161 KB, 900x1188
>>46360400
>>46360595
>>46361174
>>46361483

Crushing damage dose better knockback, blunt force though armor damage. and deals extra damage though flexible armor like chain.

Blunt weapons also tend to be durable and cheap compared to edged weapons. The humble quarterstaff is a great example of a cheap utilitarian weapon that offers acceptable damage, great defense, reach and durability at tiny cost.

I've had a player that couldn't afford a two handed sword so ended up using a quartertaff with a high ST character to amazing effect.
>>
>>46361174
>Crushing Weapon
Cheap and in general higher raw damage. You lose out on injury multiplier, but a +1 to base damage may make the difference between a blow glancing off harmlessly or it at least dinging the fucker. This is even more so if you use the rules from Low Tech where cutting weapons need to deal 2xDR or it only deals crushing anyway. Kill the knight with a mace, not a short sword.
>>
>>46362182
>the rules from Low Tech where cutting weapons need to deal 2xDR or it only deals crushing anyway.

Not familiar with this. Interesting.
>>
how does /gurpsgen/ handle time in between adventures for PCs?

sci-fi edition
>>
>>46362804
Also whats the best way to start adventures for you guys?
>>
>>46361174
>>46361670
>>46362182

This, but also...

Not every game is a dungeon fantasy game. Perhaps you want to take enemies alive, where a club is better than a sword. Maybe you're fighting vikings etc with chain, where crushing easily bypass DR.

Otherwise, it's fun to be aiming at groin and neck, as well as trying to break bones in the limbs of your foes without having them bleed out on you.
>>
>>46362250
Too many bisected knights. RAW it only applies to cutting, though I don't see why impaling would be immune (making attacking un- or under-armored locations as well as chinks fucking vital).
>>
>>46362804
I try to give everyone a downtime event, a chance to get something new, then get back to the story.

By a downtime event I mean meeting their family or a contact, replenishing supplies, repairing gear, ect. You can assume everyone is doing that, but having one character do it reminds everyone that it's a thing.

A chance to get something new is something like a new weapon, gear, bit of training for a new skill. Just some kind of reward to pick.

Then GET BACK TO THE STORY. Don't drag it out waiting for players to figure out what to do next.
>>
>>46363052
It doesn't apply to impaling damage because impaling weapons generally had a much easier time punching through armor than cutting weapons. That's not to say that they necessarily had an easy time of it... just easier than other damage types.

Basically, there's more force on a single point with an impaling weapon, which is why they're better at piercing armor. Cutting weapons have their force concentrated on a smaller area than crushing weapons, but still a much larger area than impaling weapons.
>>
>>46364431
I guess that makes sense. It also makes sw imp even more fucking brutal; it's not just an extra x0.5 over cutting, it's an assured x2.
>>
>>46364512
Sw imp has it's flaws with weapons getting stuck, but yeah it's brutal as fuck.
>>
Are there any books that have good strategies on beating a safe retreat? I feel like this is somewhat of a vacuum, but I'm not sure because I mostly stick to Dungeon Fantasy, and maybe it is described somewhere else?
>>
>>46364682
Shit, that makes me not nearly as clever as I thought.

If I were to Imbue a sword and turn the damage modifier to impaling, would it get stuck as if it were a pick?
>>
>>46364757
>turn the damage modifier to impaling
What? Like how does that work? I mean does it bend the sword to the side into a pick? Does it grow spikes along the blade or something?

>would it get stuck as if it were a pick?
Probably.
>>
>>46365041
From Power Ups 1: Imbuements, p.12:

>Impaling Strike
>Greatly narrows or sharpens the weapon in two dimensions, converting the damage of a non-impaling attack from its usual damage type to impaling. This gives -1 per die on the basic damage roll, however.
>>
>>46364692
In general, prone enemies can't chase you; see if you can pull off a Sweep or Judo throw before running. All-Out Defense (Dodge) gives half Move, and stepping backwards counts as two hexes of movement; It's not great, but you can AOD (Dodge) and move back two hexes before spending you're next turn running at full tilt. You really only need a bit of a head start against melee weapons, as even if you're still within their Move, they would need to Move & Attack, which isn't exactly reliable.

If you're trying to run away form guns/other ranged attacks however, you're boned. Duck into cover.

>>46364757
I don't think so. Imbuement are transient and don't last after the attack. RAW there's nothing to get stuck. You do suffer -1 damage per die, and imbuements require an additional skill roll against a Very Hard skill *and* 1 FP, so I don't feel it's exactly broken, as a dude with Fast Draw and an assortment of cheap pickaxes can do the same.

>>46365041
>I mean does it bend the sword to the side into a pick? Does it grow spikes along the blade or something?
It's imbuements, man, it all depends on the power source. Chi could give it a spiky aura, magic may physically transform it, and psi can have the target become so convinced that you're wielding due to your mental trickery that they believe so thoroughly they're getting hit with a spike that their body reacts appropriately. Whatever works.
>>
>>46365131
Yeah, the only way this works on a cutting sword is by twisting the blade around and having it point out like a pick, which would definitely have the same risk of getting stuck. That's just a common sense realism thing.

If you use it on something like the end of a quarterstaff or blunt-tipped sword, then you should be fine, since thrusting impaling attacks don't have to worry about getting stuck.
>>
>>46365229
>>46365290

Oh, I wasn't aware that imbuement was a one-and-done thing (just recently got into GURPS)... nevermind. I guess technically, there would still be the risk of getting stuck, but it wouldn't matter if the effect ends shortly afterward anyway.
>>
>>46365229
Hey, thanks for the response. I just did a bit of cursory searching on escapes, and did see a pretty well written "chase" mechanic in Action 2. I was going to write a blog post on running from hopeless fights because I couldn't find any really interesting information on it, but looking at that section in Action 2, it seems like the bases are pretty well covered... but what you say sounds like some pretty solid stuff too. I kept thinking up ideas that were really convoluted and required a bunch of planning ahead.

Ah well, writing a review of Dungeon Fantasy 1 instead now because I'm almost out of time, and people like reviews a lot for some reason, and I never reviewed Dungeon Fantasy 1 yet.
>>
>>46365373
Low Tech has caltrops that can help discourage people from chasing you and there's always parkour shit. A few applications of Climb or Acrobatics, if you are better then the average jo at those, can let you get some distance.

Or you know, dropping some grenades, smoke bombs or incendiary bombs can strongly discourage people from running after you.
>>
File: gas-mask-cloak[1].jpg (193 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
gas-mask-cloak[1].jpg
193 KB, 1200x800
Has anyone played/run After the End yet?

Seems like it could be pretty fun, and the templates like the ones in Dungeon Fantasy make it pretty easy to get into.
>>
File: 15635639243_1f725881fc_h.jpg (639 KB, 1600x1062) Image search: [Google]
15635639243_1f725881fc_h.jpg
639 KB, 1600x1062
>>46367143
I've had a session, my first impressions are..

Making characters and buying gear is fun. The low money and expensive stuff makes for a lot of fun choices about what to buy.

$10 a bullet makes shooting a problem with a rifle expensive. You really feel it every time you need to use ammo.

Mutants are awesome, and there's no balance at all there. One guy was running around with regeneration and Injury Tolerance (Unliveing), enough that he could just tank being shot.
>>
Any tips for someone considering being a first-time GM with GURPS?
>>
File: GURPS chargen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS chargen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46368442

Set out a clear idea of what you want to do - while it's fine to read loads of the books, limiting the ones that are actually used in-play to two or three is a good idea for you and the players.

Read How to be a GURPS GM, it has quite a lot of good advice.

Familiarize yourself with cheatsheets - and have at least one pass through the Campaigns book. There's a lot there that won't come up, or that you'll forget and need to look up, which is a lot easier if you've already skimmed it.

Print out cheatsheets for the players as well.

During character creation, make sure they know what kind of game you're aiming at, and be involved - tell them that Int 14 is super-fucking-impressive, for example. Vet sheets afterwards to make sure they work. Templates are very useful for this.
>>
File: 1420456521642.png (958 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1420456521642.png
958 KB, 1024x768
>>46368442
>>46369349

Make sure you know the TL and point level for your game, as well as the disadvantage limit and if qurks count to the limit.

For your first game, I'd suggest a TL 3 low fantasy game with minimal magic and everyone playing a human, so no Exotic, Cinematic or Supernatural advantages allowed.

In your first fight, have them face humans with basic melee weapons in equal numbers to the group. This gives everyone a chance to try out the Attack and Defense rolls, and to get an idea of how the rythem of combat works.

Use Gurps Character Sheet to help build characters.
>>
>>46367143
Nothing beats the Lever Action Carbine, .30 (Basic Set page 279) for a starter gun. It's $600 base, but you can knock that down either going Cheap and picking it up for $360 or seeing if your GM is fine with Bulky and $300, but 10.5 pounds.

If your GM is a real softy you could try to get both. They don't quite stack because you run into the minimal CF of .2, but getting your gun for $120 is hard to beat.
>>
So, /tg/ help me out on this one.
I've been training kenjutsu for almost a year now, and I'm at a point that I can safely say that there's a clear difference between a sword strike from someone with no training to the same person with some training in them. The trained one is heavier even if the person is basically the same muscle wise.
I DM for a table and am thinking of reducing the effective strength by one for a damage roll with a balanced melee weapon if the person using it has no training with it.
I know it's kinda specific but my nitpicking is picking up on this one. What do you guys think?
>>
>>46370167
Sounds fine, anon. The Technical Grappling book does something similar, with something called "Trained Strength". I remember reading on a blog somewhere that the author or one of the playtesters said that it would be a workable idea to extend that to other weapons, too.
>>
>>46370338
Oooh.
Thanks for letting me know that existed, I'll look into it. :D
>>
Do any of you GURPS folks have finer grained versions of the "Regeneration" Advantage statted up?

I am trying to create a meditative technique that speeds up the body's healing process, but the rates presents in Characters are problematic for such a custom trait.

Regeneration (Slow) at 1 HP per 12 hours is sluggish.
Regeneration (Regular) at 1 HP per 1 hour is slow.
Regeneration (Fast) at 1 HP per 1 minute is too quick.

Something along the lines of "1 HP per 30 minutes" or "1 HP per 20 minutes" is appropriate.

Finally, what Limitation(s) would you apply to Regeneration so that a user has to consciously activate it and must remain still (or at least relatively stationary) while meditating in order to reap the benefits of their technique?
>>
>>46361174
Melee crushing weapons tend to have a higher base damage than other weapons of similar weight so they're great for Skull strikes since all attacks have the same modifier.
>>
>>46370435
Here's the blog post where I read it. From the author of Technical Grappling.
http://gamingballistic.blogspot.com/2013/09/technical-grappling-trained-st-and.html
>>
>>46370887
"Requires concentration" is is GURPS Powers. -15%
>>
Latest Pyramid.

Having some issues uploading it to the MEGA archive. Could someone else try?

Also, some of the Pyramids have been subject to takedown requests. Might be time to start a new archive or something?
>>
>>46371699
Thanks, anon! I was just looking at the preview for this.
>>
>>46371699
Aw man, I gotta buy this.
>>
>>46371699

Egh.

Losing up to 25% of your point total in a game that assumes a blase attitude towards death and that heroes will die often, but become powerful?

And all the lost points are gained by the demons that kill you?

That does not support the style of play they seem to think it does.
>>
>>46371699
Quick review by Some Faggot Anon
>Havens and Hells
Honestly, a pretty cool setting that embraces some fantasy topes while harshly rejecting others. My only issue is that this article takes up a third of the entire issue; I can't help but wander what articles got cut to fit in this titanic article. At the end of the day, though, it's still a fun read so I can't really complain.
>Eastern Adventures
I was about to write this off as a lazy expansion, but i'll be damned if it didn't include some pretty cool things; the simplification of styles and simplification/expansion of Contests of Wills are perfect for most groups that would normally lose out on all the cool stuff because of the complexity it brings. This article can be useful for a wide variety of campaigns, not just not!Oriental Adventures. Also shapeshifting kitsune template.
>Titan's House
GURPS needs more out-of-the-box fantasy adventures. Go Pulver.
>RTT: The Secret of the Explorers
Dungeon Fantasy: Radical Terrorist Cell Edition. An interesting premise (Adventuring parties being hunted down for threatening the fragile pseudo-peace between monsters and civilization), but I don't see a cross between Dungeon Fantasy and social skullduggery being overly popular as one of the main pulls of DF is fast-and-easy dungeoncrawling without worrying about other stuff. Still, playing the IRA to the nobility's' Sinn Féin would be a nice change of pace.

7/10 breddy gubb :DDD

>>46373034
I don't think heroes are meant to die often, just that it's not Game Over if they do die. Also, I'd imagine GMs using Havens and Hells setting would be handing out end-of-session points like candy.
>>
File: 1452662388635.jpg (66 KB, 490x600) Image search: [Google]
1452662388635.jpg
66 KB, 490x600
>>46371699
>havens and hells
This is dark souls but for GURPS, isn't it.
>>46373034
Presumably there are scrub demons out there so the unstable difficulty equilibrium can be cracked with some patience.
>>
>>46373437
>Presumably there are scrub demons out there so the unstable difficulty equilibrium can be cracked with some patience.

Possibly.

Gives me an idea for an intelligent demon lord who always tries to take prisoners for torture and to weaken the Haven (and maybe to try and coerce someone into doing their bidding).
>>
File: b14.jpg (40 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
b14.jpg
40 KB, 600x600
>>46373437
>This is dark souls but for GURPS, isn't it.
Hot damn I didn't even realize
>>
>>46373536
>mfw enough humans have congregated in a single semi-safe location that the demon accidentally a new Haven.
Checkmate Hell.
>>
>>46373574
>>46373437

Add on the Eating Souls for Fun and Profit thing from a few issues back... and that neatly solves the death penalty issue as well...
>>
>>46373678
Which issue was that?
>>
File: GENIUS.gif (851 KB, 238x165) Image search: [Google]
GENIUS.gif
851 KB, 238x165
>>46373678
Only a 3 or 4 results in permanent point gain, but at the very least it'll reduce lethality since 7-15 heals at least some amount, and I guess GMs could always vary the roll towards extra character points.
Regardless, pic related.

>>46373759
#3/72 Alternate Dungeons. It's at the end of the Vidya article.
>>
>>46373759

That if you played the campaign with anywhere near Dark Souls lethality, you'd rapidly enter a death spiral where you cannot earn enough points to counteract the resurrection penalty and go hollow.

Of course, the GM can just throw them at you, but then why bother with the penalty in the first place?

>>46373796

True, you might have to tweak the point gain numbers. I guess that's technically the same as throwing them at you... but more viscerally satisfying than just getting more.
>>
>>46372402
Ditto. Read it, loved it, going to use it, so I'm gonna buy it.

I know who's getting a chunk of my next paycheck.
>>
>>46373796
Thanks, anon. I had forgotten how good #3/72 was.
>>
>>46374633
3/72 is awesome. I like pointless slaying and looting, and the whole video game section is great.
>>
>>46374734
The video game section IS great. I also like the monster templates. I haven't tried pointless slaying and looting, but the concept seems pretty sound.
>>
File: uGeCLNo[1].png (50 KB, 473x339) Image search: [Google]
uGeCLNo[1].png
50 KB, 473x339
Newest pyramid. GURPS: Shut up and Jam Gaiden confirmed?
>>
>>46373825
I might write up a new table that gives points, HP/FP/EP, and Magic.
>>
File: 1413518590777.jpg (9 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1413518590777.jpg
9 KB, 240x240
>>46371699
>that fencing perk for turning non-fencing weapons into fencing weapons

One of those perks so good you know it's not gonna be allowed.
>>
>>46376864
It fits wuxia games though. I can totally see a master monk able to dual wield flails with fencing-tier grace and mobility.
>>
I made some sweeping updates to my generators, finally. The beam weapon generator is way way more functional now, and I'm in the process of adding new beam types from Ultra-Tech as well as properties and other stuff.

>https://github.com/bluetooth250/GURPSGen

To summarise the readme, it does everything that the original article can except for beam cannon. At this point I'm adding more features rather than fixing it, but feel free to try break it, since that's how I make it better.

The armour generator is still fairly primitive. I have another build that works much much better than the one on github but isn't ready to be put online yet. Might post about it here when it is.
>>
File: john wick.webm (3 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
john wick.webm
3 MB, 960x400
Does anyone have a link to the page that describes pic related as GURPS turns?
>>
>>46377604

>22 seconds

That's a long fight by GURPS standards
>>
>>46377604
https://shootingdiceblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/tactical-shootingmartial-arts-john-wick/
>>
>>46377650
https://shootingdiceblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/tactical-shootingmartial-arts-john-wick/
>>
>>46346562
Fantasy Rome is always good.

>>46348856
Still seems like nonsense that BJJ gives you real combat skills but Judo doesn't by default.
>>
>>46377838
>He probably has Targeted Attack (Pistol/Skull)

No shit, that guy loves his head shots. Also its scary what a guy of that skill level can pull off.
>>
>>46378043
BJJ should require a roll when putting any points into it.

1-6 on 1d causes you to gain one point in sport skill Judo and the 5 point disillusion "I know BJJ" as you learn from a shitty McDojo and watch MMA reruns.
>>
>>46378714
Isn't that the whole purpose of the Trained by a Fraud lens?
>>
>>46378043
There are sport styles of BJJ that would use Judo Sport and Wrestling Sport instead.

If you walked up to someone off the street and asked if they knew Judo, if they said "yes" they would, 90% of the time, mean it in a sports context and not a fight-for-your-life context. In the modern context, the style of Judo is a sports style meant for competition.

>>46376834
And done. I upped the number of results that gave permanent character points; there's now a ~9% chance that a kill will result in some form of extra points, assuming it's a straight 3d6 roll (if you're grinding on weak goblins for XP, I'd probably start rolling 2d6+6 on the table). I also lowered the granularity of HP/FP restoration and loss to make room for the magic resource – I went with Embers for the name because lolDarkSouls. Lastly, I made character points static instead of rolled, partially to cut down on the amount of rolls on the table but also to mitigate the favor/wrath of the dice gods; if you're already lucky enough to roll as 3-4, I don't want your lucky break getting stolen from you by a second roll that goes poorly.
>>
>>46378998
The point is that BJJ is no better if we are going with that by default for Judo.

Also the only difference is that in a Judo competition or in training you don't snap their arm when they give up. And you throw them onto a matt instead of concrete. 'Sports Judo' is only separated from maiming or killing your opponent by intent and control.
>>
Magic bullets.
>>
>>46377838
>Off-Hand Weapon Training (Judo)
I thought all unarmed skills had full competency with both hands? Or am I wrong?
>>
>>46379991

There is an optional rule in Martial Arts ('Harsh Realism for Unarmed Fighters', p.124 ) that introduces handedness for unarmed fighting.
>>
>>46378208
This movie demonstrates the use of gunslinger
>>
>>46371699
>Also, some of the Pyramids have been subject to takedown requests
Can you tell me which ones so I can double check?
>>
>>46382363
85 is missing for sure, dunno about others I download before dmca happened.
>>
File: Seattle_-_girl_at_Budokan_Dojo.jpg (5 MB, 2848x4288) Image search: [Google]
Seattle_-_girl_at_Budokan_Dojo.jpg
5 MB, 2848x4288
>>46379299
There are some moves you don't perform for safety reason in sport judo, such as joint attacks at places other then the elbow, anything that involves touching the face, and a few sweeps and entanglements that are effective but extremely likely to damage the knee or ankle of the target.

The other weakness is that you won't be ready to defend vs strikes, given the sport doesn't feature any..

I'd say that -3 is too big a penalty when the Art/Sport form cost as much. A -1 unfamiliarity penalty would be fine, or maybe a -3 penalty, but from a 4 point flaw "Sport Training Only" that reflects people that don't have pratical experience outside of a protected dojo environment.

It's certainly silly to have Judo be divided into Sport/Real when boxing isn't, given boxing in many ways is more restricted.
>>
>>46383510
Also reverse scissors, because don't kick someone you are competing with in the back like you want to go Full Bane on them you goddamn psychopath.
>>
File: desolation_by_pe_travers.jpg (141 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
desolation_by_pe_travers.jpg
141 KB, 1200x720
How good/bad are the default rules on the hazards of high and low temperatures?
>>
>>46383510
>It's certainly silly to have Judo be divided into Sport/Real when boxing isn't, given boxing in many ways is more restricted.
Isn't boxing is sport by default? It would be really stupid if you can use it in real fight without any problems against soldier with real combat training or something.
>>
File: 1453400397229.png (1 MB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1453400397229.png
1 MB, 640x960
>>46383671
Heat rules aren't bad, though I wish they made mention of the effects of intense hydration. It's deeply unconformable but a person can avoid heatstroke and operate in 110 degree + weather if they pace themselves and drink LOTS of water. I'd add a modifier of +1 to 3 to the HT/Desert Survival roll for drinking up to a quart an hour.

Cold rules are very bare-bones and only cover hypothermia, not frostbite, stiffness and other problems of working in freezing weather.

Suggested additional modifiers: -2 if you exert yourself enough to sweat heavily inside arctic clothing.

Any unprotected extremities (ears, toes, fingers, nose) takes 1d-3 burning damage from frostbite per extreme cold interval, or 1d-1 in exceptional circumstances.

Immersion in very cold water interval is per minute. Without a dry-suit you always take -5 for wet clothing.

-1 to 2 for most technical skills in extreme cold because of the challenges of working with stiff fingers, frozen equipment and getting gloves off and on.
>>
>>46383510
Aside from safety precautions, judo as a sport also focuses on what gets points/what avoids penalties, not what's necessarily effective at downing an attacker. This is true for all combat sports; just look at videos of old olympic fencing bouts and you see people pulling *outrageous* shit because it's technically legal and get's them a point, like swinging their foil behind their head to 'whip' the pressure-sensitive tip at you (my coach in college loved using that one, even though it's harder with the new stuffer blades).

People compete to win, so when a style of combat gets trimmed down into a formal sport, you see people focusing on what wins the game, not what's effective in a all-out fight; a fighter with a rapier will learn how exploit every advantage to land a solid blow while an olympic foilist will learn how to exploit every advantage to skid the tip of their blade across a legal zone as fast as possible. That's why [Skill] Sport and [Skill] are different and have a sizable default.
>>
>>46384204
I understand, but from a game point breaking them into two different skills makes a character sheet a bit cluttered and has the weird result of making it more effective to put more points into Combat Sport then putting points into Judo if you want to rase Judo for combat.
>>
Psionic blades.
>>
>>46386489

Sub-atomic jet-skis.
>>
I'm missing something in HT I think. What would the stats of a Colt Single Action Army in .40-40 be? I want a post-apocalyptic cowbow with the same ammo for his rifle and pistol.
>>
>>46387077
I can't find anything about .40-40, but one in .44-40 is described in the SAA's description. Would that be close enough?
>>
>>46387146
Ha, yeah. Remembered it wrong.
>>
Hey, folks. Running a modern-day zombies game coming up here quickly. Any particular advantages/disadvantages not covered under "no exotic/supernatural tagged advantages" that should probably be disallowed?
>>
>>46387201
tell us more about the style of game you want
is it realistic or cinematic
serious or silly
how much micromanaging or bookkeeping do you want
>>
>>46387239
Sorry, guess I should've done that, yeah! Leaning toward realistic, survival horror game. Bookkeeping on the lower end would be nice; we're only using Basic, High-Tech, and Zombies as a starting point. I'll end up adding in Tactical Shooting, Martial Arts, and Mass Combat slowly as we come to grips with the game a bit more (first campaign).
>>
>>46387201
Depending on how you like the game to run: Weapon Master, Trained by a Master, Gunslinger.

In many 'zombie' games a strong character with a axe, shield and weapon master can quickly take zombies apart at minimal risk to themselves.
>>
>>46387266
To put it in perspective, ST 13, an axe and weapon master gives you 2d+4. It doesn't take many hits with 11 cutting damage to stop a zombie.
>>
>>46387201
If zombie-ism is communicable through bites, you may want to forbid Resistant (Zombie Virus) or at least make it cost more.
>>
>>46387425
Nope, Walking Dead-style where everyone zombifies upon death.
>>
>>46387391
You need a Fine axe to make those numbers work but all modern melee weapons are Fine at base cost.
>>
File: 2500x1200-Con-Matrix-Mood (2).jpg (1 MB, 2500x1200) Image search: [Google]
2500x1200-Con-Matrix-Mood (2).jpg
1 MB, 2500x1200
The setting I'm brewing up is going to be a bizarre combo of Mass Effect, Halo, Eclipse Phase, and The Third Imperium. Other than the Basic Set, Spaceships, Space, and Ultra Tech, which books should I use
>>
>>46387705
Bio-Tech.
>>
File: 1291451901371.jpg (865 KB, 1680x1260) Image search: [Google]
1291451901371.jpg
865 KB, 1680x1260
>>46387705
High Tech comes instantly to mind. Beyond that I don't think you've missed much. I'd love to hear more about your crazy setting though, drop it on us.
>>
>>46387869
I accidentally deleted it and am in the process of recovering the details, but no I have to go to bed. I will drop it sometime tomorrow.
>>
>Fowling Crossbow
>damage uses half rated ST
>cranium allows to have rated ST at 1.5 of your body strength
>you use 0.75 of your normal ST with longer reload and for bigger price than normal crossbow
>all for +1 to damage which means nothing, since your effective strength reduced by 2 at least
What the actual fuck? I just don't see the point of this shit.
>>
>>46387932
GURPS treats steel crossbows as being something of a technological dead end and at best a step sideways from wooden crossbows, rather then a step forward.

On the bright side, it's more durable and more compact.
>>
>>46387932

As I've pointed out before, sometimes there isn't a point, because GURPS cares more about modeling a realistic world than a balanced game, because that's the focus of the system. Not all weapons are equally useful... this is one of those cases.
>>
>>46387932
>Fowling Crossbow
It's a hunting weapon. Same thing as using .22LR rounds. Use military crossbow, it gives you ST×3
>>
>>46388101
If you want more damage you are better off with a wood crossbow with a wench. It's ST x 3, slow as fuck reload and IIRC you can't get them higher then ST 20 because of the limitations of wood, but it doesn't have the shit of using only 1/2 ST to calculate range and damage you get with steel bows.
>>
>>46387989
>>46388063
This just make me wonder why this thing does even exist? Was good old crossbow been considered as barbaric shit?
>>46388101
I thought about it, but military crossbow is just too slow for adventurer, I might as well just pick musket with fast-draw skill. Normal crossbow at least provides good damage for reasonable price compared to bows and not too slow.
>>
>>46388219
>military crossbow is just too slow for adventurer
Every crossbow is too slow. If you want to fire constantly, you are better off with a bow, sling or throwing weapon as your main weapon. Crossbows are same as early guns except worse - you shoot once and then switch to melee weapon.
>>
>>46388219
>This just make me wonder why this thing does even exist?

Because humans try new things. Sometimes the new things we try work, sometimes they don't. Somebody tried to see if a steel crossbow would work better... turns out it doesn't, so we moved on to something else. But the steel crossbow still exists as a thing, even if it didn't work out.
>>
>>46388266
>Because humans try new things. Sometimes the new things we try work, sometimes they don't.
You can say this about repeating crossbows - never become widespread enough. Or various multibarrel monstrosities. But steel crossbows still were used quite often as far as I know before they were replaced by firearms. But fowling crossbow is just completely useless abomination in every aspect worse than wooden crossbow. How this thing may leave its inventor workbench is beyond my understanding.
>>46388246
Eh, I guess you're right.
>>
>>46388219
>Was good old crossbow been considered as barbaric shit?

Naw, but I can see why you'd wonder. The fowling crossbow in Low Tech represents weapons used to take small game, like birds and rodents.

These critters can't take the kind of abuse megafauna like deer, bears and great apes can, so the weapons to hunt them aren't very powerful. Today most people hunt them with weapons like the .22lr, a very weak kind of bullet.

The fowling crossbow doesn't need to be very strong, so it's nice that it's made of steel. It's more durable then a wooden bow and won't rot. GURPS doesn't really simulate it, but it's also way less likely to explode and maim you, something that heavy draw wooden crossbows did all the time.
>>
>>46384071
>real combat training

In civilian clothes a boxer would destroy a normal soldier, all they get taught is basic grappling moves. If the boxer can stay mobile and punch them the soldier is screwed.

>>46384204
But normal Judo schools still teach you to take down a fully resisting opponent and teaches you everything you need to break limbs if you want to.
>>
Cybernetic fireballs
>>
>>46370887

There's a few ways to do this.

Get your HP up to 20 and Regeneration (Regular) gives you 2 HP an hour. At thirty, you get up to 3 an hour.

If HUGE HP isn't an option, I'd allow a +20% modifier on Regeneration that divides the time between ticks by 2.
>>
File: Terrifying beast.png (96 KB, 246x432) Image search: [Google]
Terrifying beast.png
96 KB, 246x432
>>
File: 1425582683241.png (944 KB, 800x772) Image search: [Google]
1425582683241.png
944 KB, 800x772
>>46391649
It amuses me how self deprecating this fanbase is.
>>
>>46388439
There are already rules for weapon care, degradation, and malfunction, it's just that by default they're only applied to firearms (as /k/ommandos like extra realism more than your average fantasy players). For people that want steel crossbows to be a marked improvement in their campaign, however, it shouldn't be too hard to port those rules over to crossbows.
>>
How can I make a power to create trap. Something like Binding with Area Effect, Persistent and permanent duration, but it shouldn't be possible to use it as normal attack and I expect serious discount because of it. Otherwise it ends up costing too much.
>>
What's the difference between Jumper and Warp?
>>
>>46387705

Much of Transhuman Space may be relevant - things like their RATS and so on.
>>
>>46392572
There's a couple of ways you could trapify Binding that come to mind, one that makes it useless as an attack due to time constraints, and the other that just arbitrarily can't be used directly.

You can slap on Immediate Preparation Required from Psionic Powers (if you don't have that, it's the same as Preparation Required from the Basic Set, but the ability has to be used immediately and the discount is worth x1.5). This is cinematic trapmaking; it takes a long time and is worthless out of combat, but it's still faster than setting actual traps. The discount isn't anything to laugh at either; you start at -30% for one minute, -45% at 10 minutes, and -75% at one hour.

You can do Accessibility (Cannot target enemies directly, -X%) for mid-fight trapmaking like in Diablo or MMOs. You can't drop it under someone's feet, but you can put it right next to them as wait for them to walk into it (or shove them). I personally wouldn't make it a very big discount, as Persistent + Area makes getting it to trigger incredibly easy, maybe -5% to -15%.

>>46392671
Jumper: Teleport to another universe/plane of existence/timeline. It's less of a personal power and more of a plot device.
Warp: Teleport to a physical location. Your basic teleport/warp/flashstep ability.
>>
>>46387705
Note: ultra-tech is bad. You will probably want to adjust weapon stats and shit.
>>
>>46392857
>worthless out of combat
Whoops, "worthless *in* combat" sorry. Don't know how I managed to 180° that so hard.
>>
>>46392974

It's not really bad, so much as it's not very flexible.

With the settings they're mashing up, just raising armour DR and improving force shields should do the trick.
>>
>>46392974

People keep saying this but never specifying what's wrong or how to fix it.
>>
>>46393258
Seems fine to me generally.

Also its interesting how conservative TL9 weapons are, many of them are just TL8 guns with caseless ammo and some computer gubbinz. Which seems a pretty realistic assessment, until something radical happens to weapons technology guns are pretty mature.
>>
Hey /gurpsgen/, I'm going to be running a low-tech game soon thats going to involve a lot of foot travel through unsettled wilderness, and wanted to know suggestions on rules to implement to encourage my players to invest in equipment dedicated towards camping.
this is partially to create a money sink, and also partially so that people invest in survival and related skills.
ive read up on the basic set's definition of the survival skill, but it seems to be more dedicated towards food and water procural, and im more wondering how i can punish players for not bringing stuff like tents and camping tools
>>
>>46393940
Dungeon fantasy 16 is about survival in a fantasy low tech wilderness. It's got some decent depth that can probably be expanded on.
>>
I...actually like this layout. Anyways:

I'm kinda halfassedly tried to throw together a programming cosmic modular abilities magic system. It was pretty simple but I'm not sure how much to give for the limitations.

Basically, Cosmic Modular abilities + Magic as (modified) Advantages.

I'm not certain if +100% physical because I don't think it can manage all physical advantages.

Anything nine points and under can be applied with a concentrate manoeuvre rolling against Thamauthurgy. Which would allow for quick swapping of 'cantrips'

Anything over that takes hours to 'program,' but I'm not sure at what rate. Flat Rate? Rate per point? What level of Preparation Required does it qualify for?

Each spell must be KNOWN. Which usually means weeks of study even if it's a well documented spell, at best. On top of that you need the accessory skills.

IE: You studied the well documented Healing Advantages and programmed it into yourself. You need anatomy and physiology to make it work right though. And you need to roll against your best medical skill.

If you're lucky, the spell came preprogrammed to use you as a template, so you get a bonus.

Actually coming up with that Spell needed Thaumathurgy, and various high level medical knowhow and was actually probably created by a group of people.

How to is price?
>>
>>46393940

Let them set their own pace and make their own choices about more gear or moving faster unencumbered. Survival allows you to replenish supplies in the wilderness and find a camp good enough to protect you from exposure.

Call for a survival roll each night in the wilderness when they need to make camp to see how well they do, and when they want to find water.

Unless conditions are pretty extreme healthy characters can likely do without a tent or anything but basic Personal Supplies and a blanket, but some rough weather or a sudden snow storm can really make them wish for shelter.
>>
File: 1449801836028.jpg (47 KB, 690x960) Image search: [Google]
1449801836028.jpg
47 KB, 690x960
Worldbuilder here and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Other than the Basic Set, are there any other resources for building a campaign and/or background setting?
>>
>>46396649
By resources I mean like Cheat sheets, screens, charts, outlines and other things generally used to organize information.
>>
File: 13584384.png (531 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
13584384.png
531 KB, 1280x800
wtf happened to this thread and how i undo this?
>>
>>46396671

Here's a good place to start. Beyond that, remeber to tell them the culture and lanauge their characters will start with and don't be afraid to start small and fill them in later. If all they learn about in the first session is what life is like in their small town and what threats it faces that still gets them into the setting and gives you a foundation to build on.
>>
File: CampaignPlanning.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
CampaignPlanning.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46396917
What the.. Damn it, wrong file.
>>
>>46396671
GURPS 4e - City Stats maybe.

>>46396862
April fools, just wait it out.
>>
>>46396862
It's 4chan's april fools joke. I don't think I get it, really.
>>
>>46396991

Moot joined Google, so now 4chan looks like Google made it. It's pretty tedious, other than a thread in /pol/ where the random name generator came up with Richard Nixon.
>>
File: 1443097689140.png (918 KB, 804x1044) Image search: [Google]
1443097689140.png
918 KB, 804x1044
>>
>It's a meme game. No one actually plays it.

Crap, they are on to us.
>>
>>46396941
Adding to City Stats, or maybe instead, Boardrooms and Curia is really good for defining large organizations and when you get down to it, what is a government but a very large organization?
>>46399430
I liked that they had a professional artist for a few pyramids, but they are using recycled assets now. Are they done working together for now?
>>
>>46399430

>Characters
>Campaigns
>High-Tech

You just know Little Suzie is going to run a campaign about amoral mercenaries capturing diamond mines in post-Colonial Africa
>>
>>46399430

>tfw no /tg/ girl to dry hump while she reads fantasy
>>
>>46399961
Keep the girl, I want that cool poster.

>>46399940
I for one prefer stealing their sacred treasures in the late Victorian period.
>>
>>46399430
Call me a nostalgic dickwad, but shit, that image reminds me of the evening after I got my first GURPS book.
>>
>>46399989
>Keep the girl, I want that cool poster.
You can probably get something similar from Shadow of the Colossus with that one flying thing.
>>
To make a turn of the century marine would you just add boating and seamanship to a normal soldier template?

I seem to recall they still used a bayonet instead of a cutlass generally so no need to swap spear for broadsword.
>>
>>46392857
Immediate Preparation Required fits perfectly, thank you.
>>
>>46399754
Well, who could play a game with >no flavour?
>>
Few questions for the uninitiated, if you don't mind.

1. Does the meme where GURPS is good when complex but subpar when kept simple hold true?
2. How accessible is the game in terms of free content and/or pirated pdfs?
3. How well does the system handle modern firearms combat on small and large scales?
>>
>>46401597
1. I'd say it's good both complex and simple. It of course depends on whenever you like complicated or simple games.
2. check the OP
3. I can't say to much about this personally but I heard it's good.
>>
File: tumblr_mxhyhmirld1snpv2do1_1280.jpg (128 KB, 728x550) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxhyhmirld1snpv2do1_1280.jpg
128 KB, 728x550
>>46401597
point 1 is pretty >opinions, but I'd say it's still pretty good. If you use wildcard skills to strip things down along with templates and the like, you end up at something like those simple and easy RPGs that are all the rage nowadays...but with more content, and support.

The game has had just about every 4e book and supporting magazine pirated. Op's PDF has links to them, along with most 3e books.

On small-scales (fireteam-level tactics) gurps is the best RPG available, IMO. It's easily one of the system's best selling points. On larger scale...not sure what you mean, but people do have some bones to pick with the mass combat rules. In the gap between mass combat and squad tactics, you may have some trouble. Most people run games with less than 20 people on the hero side at once though, so.
>>
File: 1455496124843.jpg (198 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
1455496124843.jpg
198 KB, 500x708
>>46401597

>1

I feel it works best when you use only the rules you need. Agressively trying to streamline and simplify can go too far. I'd say it at least meets par if you like brutal combat. If you prefer more D&D style games where a dozen hits with a sword might be required to bring down a target it's not as good for you.

That said, if you love complicated games where figuring out how to, for example, pick equipment, supplies and weapons for a long expedition into hostile territory there aren't many better games.

>2

Pretty good. There's a ton of content available in a very good archive.

>3

Gun combat in gurps is kinda polarizing. Guns are -brutal- and can kill a person very quickly. Body armor provides limited protection but the only real defense from a gun is to Not Be Shot. There are optional rules to adjust that, with survivable guns being popular and maybe more realistic.
>>
>>46401293
But we already have bunch of pyramid articles about agriculture and stuff.
>>
>>46402084
I tried printing them out and can confirm that the paper remained thoroughly tasteless.
>>
>>46403437
Maybe you should actually buy it instead of using cheap Chinese knockoffs you filthy pirate.
>>
>>46393940
I did a low fantasy Heavy Weather game. Just make it so when a storm hits they need some kind of shelter or they take a lot of Lasting Fatigue Damage.
>>
>>46387705
City Stats and Social Engineering is useful for space empires and intrigue. Mass combat too. Make sure you use the pyramid that ties spaceships and mass combat together.
>>
File: 1429598358470.png (491 KB, 403x538) Image search: [Google]
1429598358470.png
491 KB, 403x538
>>46401597
>How well does the system handle modern firearms combat on small and large scales?
Picrelated.

As for large scale, I had an idea of completely getting rid of hexes for the long-range shootouts and just measuring everything with ruler instead, allowing for much longer distances. Do note that range penalties in GURPS are brutal - the combat may become a little too realistic. I mean two sides firing and constantly failing to hit each other. Be ready to try and flank players or throw grenades at them if combat becomes a stalemate.
>>
Most efficient Advantage for a character being able to increase their functional ST (for any use) manually/with effort? Like they've got base ST 10 like everyone else, but then through force of will their ST functionally becomes higher for the task/action in question? Pref from base set.
>>
>>46407504
Try the Super-Effort for Super Lifting in Powers. Tie it to some FP costs and Will rolls and you could have an emergency way to haul gigantic amounts.
>>
>>46407504
Well, Kimberly,
Probably ST with Takes Extra Time and/or Costs Fatigue. Takes Recharge might be another cheap one for abilities that are needed periodically.

You say for any use, but consider specifically looking at Lifting ST, Arm ST, or Striking ST if you really mean one of those.

Otherwise, Ms. Ho's advice in >>46407591 is also good if you don't mind leaving Basic Set.
>>
>>46407504
There's already extra effort for lifting more if that's what you're specifically after which I THINK is based on will, so high will=more extra effort lift.
>>
File: 1255920516482.jpg (25 KB, 530x249) Image search: [Google]
1255920516482.jpg
25 KB, 530x249
Has anyone here ever attempted to adapt the Wild Cards: Sons of the Gun setting for GURPS before?
>>
File: 1453958273219.png (20 KB, 416x154) Image search: [Google]
1453958273219.png
20 KB, 416x154
Why does Bio-Tech have so much weird shit in it? Even besides the obvious fetish shit, I just read the Pyramid article about the sentient hyper-intelligent organic bank building with daddy issues.
>>
File: zangief.jpg (200 KB, 1600x960) Image search: [Google]
zangief.jpg
200 KB, 1600x960
Brawler in my party soon get a Manly Manliness Fight with Zangief-like nemesis who have shiny oiled muscle DR.
So how being oiled will affect enemy kicks and punches? I feel it should work like grazes (pyr3-34) on successful attacks with extended MOS range, but how much? MOS 3 is enough or too high?
>>
>>46409025
It's a weird concept to start with, but yeah, the writer on that one is very weird.

>>46409754
I'd start with Slippery 3 (Basic set page 85) and DR 2 (Tough Skin, Crushing Only)

You could do more then that, but that would give you a rough simulation of a hard to hit and hold oiled up guy for an NPC.
>>
So, there's a new Pyramid out. Anyone seen it yet?
>>
>>46409025

Why wouldn't it have strange things?

Science-fiction is full of odd uses of biotechnology - living houses are all over the place. Cyberpunk loves it.

As it plays with the easy modification of lifeforms, if it just ignored that the sex industry would be all over it, or that body-modification subcultures would naturally begin to embrace it, it would be a very poor representation of the technology and genre.

Limiting the available possibilities for worldbuilding and stories, out of prudishness or a desire to be considered normal is not how GURPS rolls.
>>
>>46409025

>>46411305 pretty much hit it on the head. Biotechnology is one of those things where we're going to use it in ways we can't even think of today... and we're going to use in a LOT of sexual ways. GURPS just tries to cover all of it.
>>
What do you prioritize for low-point characters?
>>
>>46413895
>low-point characters?
How low?
Skills>Advantages>Stats
>>
>>46413995
75/-35 points. Running my first campaign, trying to help my players write up their sheets.
>>
>>46413895

Skills. They're cheap and the core of a competent GURPS character.
>>
>>46414013
50 points in skills, and whatever you want for the rest. I'd also suggest talents before Attributes.
>>
>>46414013
>>46413895
Depends very much on the type of campaign.

In a fight heavy campaign, Combat Reflexes and High Pain Threshold are really good cheap advantages, and you probably want a 16, if you can get it, in one martial skill.

In any campaign, a good social skill is important, so probably at least 12 in one of Fast-Talk, Diplomacy, or Merchant (anything else is too narrow probably for a low point campaign)

Then after that, look at Kromm's list of everyman skills.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148

One point in at least each category not specifically called out.

>>46414061
This advice is also pretty good, but, and it's a bit of a luxury, if your players can afford it, one level of luck is usually good too.
>>
>>46414013
What is the genre/tech level?

>>46414115
Luck in most games is like a spaceship in a space merchants game, I think the GM should just let everybody have it.
>>
>>46414169
Zombie survival horror with a heavy dose of the supernatural, TL8.
>>
>>46407641
Can you attach modifiers to Attributes?
>>
>>46416497

Yep. Attributes are advantages. Common modifiers are Size on ST, or No Fine Manipulators on ST and DX. But you can get creative, like IQ-2 (Mitigator, Neurotherapy Drugs, -70%) [-12]
>>
File: ryPA57m[1].png (47 KB, 402x216) Image search: [Google]
ryPA57m[1].png
47 KB, 402x216
>>46416497
It's definitely done in Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
>>46416613
Technically this is buying up default levels, not specifically buying a modifier on an attribute.
>>46416597
Try this for a good example.

Another on I like is extra St 4 (only when in berserk -20%)
>>
>>46414013
>>46413995
>>46413895

I'd do things in passes.

First pass, pick up any advantages you know are very important for combat survival. In most cases, that's Luck and Combat Reflexes.

Then buy your combat skill. Expect to spend somewhere around 16-20 points there.

After that, pick up secondary skills. Mobility (climb, acrobatics, swimming, forced entry) and Social (Acting, Fast Talk, Diplomacy, ect.), backup combat (Throwing, Easy combat skills like Brawling, Knife, Gun, grappling skills)

Put 4 points or so into the ones you want.

Next take a look at advantages and attributes. DX +1, HT +1 and Basic Speed +.5 is expensive (40 points with no mitigators) but damn useful. At 70, it's likely unaffordable. ST can be nice, but only if you are a close combat type. Weapon Master, Extra Attack or Gunslinger require you ruthlessly cut back on other areas to fit them in at this point level. This is also a good time to max out your disadvantages.

Give a though to gear. Do you want Weapon Bond and/or Signature Gear for any items? Can you afford what you need without Wealth or Signature Gear? Glance at Contacts, Allies, Patrion and ect. A good Ally can be wonderful, but make sure to clear them with the ST.

Next it's background skills and advantages. Area Knowledge (where you live), Lanauge (What you Speak there) are always good. A single point each in any social or movement skills you might want to try, Housekeeping, a hobby or something your character dose that isn't shooting people in the face. 4 points spent here will do more to make your character seem 'alive' then another +1 to stab faces.

Do a quick check to make sure you haven't outright missed anything, like forgetting to give your bad ass thief Forced Entry or Lock-picking.
>>
>>46414788
How heavy supernatural? Can you play a werewolf? Because damn, you could get creative with point totals for Alternate Form in that case.
>>
>>46417400
It literally says each point of IQ past twenty gets the 25% enhancement "Super Attribute."

25% of 20 is 5.
It is the modifier, packaged as a power-up.
>>
>>46417841
Well, zombies are souls possessing dead corpses, led by Lucifer and his generals. Players are mundane EMTs and other first responders, at least for their first character. So... No werewolves yet, unfortunately.

>>46417530
Very good tips, and I sent them along to my players.
>>
So uh... guys. How do I make melee viable at ultratech?
>>
>>46418504
armor divisors on melee weapons
>>
>>46418504
>>46418775

The bigger problem is that ranged weapons will kill you before you can get in range to use your superfine monomolecular vibroblade. The easiest solution is energy shields that can stop laser beams and bullets but not blades. The slow blade penetrates the shield and all that.
>>
>>46418504
>>46418775
you can start with the TL10 vibroblade modification for +1d and (3), and a superfine vibroblade gives (5), a TL11 hyperdense vibroblade has a staggering (10)
a TL9^ monomolecular wire blade gets a +2 damage and (10) armor divisor, but can't get the superfine or vibroblade modifiers.

that's a good start, although i can't admit to knowing much about ultratech and therefore can't give much detailed information
limpet mine dispensers seem like an absolutely fabulous option though, since they're a melee weapon that lets you plant a sticky bomb on whatever you hit - you're still going to want another melee weapon for proper damage, but a 25mm warhead dispenser has a lot of utility.
>>
My GM, is wanting to do a rather over the top, anime inspired game (starting off a bit low powered, but eventually going full exalted. Characters are made with about 160 points to start, and growth is going to be very fast.)

After a bit of deliberation and consulting with the GM, we decided on a concept that would be fun for both of us, but we're not sure how to impliment it well. My GM is very flexible, but doesn't want to entirely wing it, and wants a good base in the mechanics, so that's why I've come here, because neither of us know how to do this and make it work well.

The general concept is a character with magical shape-shifting abilities, of a very body horror focused bent. Growing mouths out of their limbs to attack people, extruding flesh, planting eyes on things to work as remote cameras, etc. Basically a cross between John Carpenter's The Thing, and Alucard from Hellsing. Does anyone have any idea how to do this in a way that works well? I don't mind if it's limited to start (as we have a rather modest point pool), as long as it has plenty of room for growth using the same base.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
Someone in TL10 heavy power armour with a superfine greatsword is actually doing more damage than someone with a laser rifle and is heavily resistant to small arms.

Combine that with a limpet mine dispenser with HEMP warheads and a vibroblade upgrade and they can even take on other heavy suits.

The real, huge problem is that even the 25mm underbarrel grenade launcher can penetrate heavy power armour at TL10 so every single normal soldier is still a threat. You really need to add force fields that only affect high velocity attacks or make all fights take place inside cramped tunnels to make melee viable in Ultra Tech.
>>
>>46419104

A good starting point are the options in GURPS: Horror. That'll give you a lot of inspiration to work with. You could also model your fleshcrafting as a Power a la GURPS: Powers.
>>
>>46419284
We were definitely going to use Powers as a base, but does Horror actually have anything new? Isn't it mostly a GM guide, with a dash of bestiary?
>>
>>46420867
I believe besides the GM guide, it has a sanity system, a catalog of some abilities and powers, and a pretty big section on typical improvised weapons.
>>
>>46420867

Horror has a handful of traits and rules suggestions I'd check out. Especially the Independent Body Parts variant of Injury Tolerance - one of my favorite horror tricks.
>>
>>46410925
Yeah. Someone shared it here the other day.

A third of it is devoted to a not-Dark Souls setting, which is pretty sweet. There's also an "oriental adventures" bit for Dungeon Fantasy (with a couple of racial templates and some adjustments to the main classes), and an adventure. All in all, it's a pretty good issue, if you want some DF content, but a bit light on crunch.
>>
>>46421552
The oriental adventures article also includes a simplified version of the Styles system for Martial Arts (because what's the point of far east fighters without having competing fighting styles?) and a simplified/expanded version of Contest of Wills, also from Martial Arts. Both are useful outside of your typical DF game; I've always felt they were really cool mechanics and wanted to include them in a variety of campaigns, but the rest of my group didn't want to deal with extra stuff. I think the simplified versions from this article will make them a lot more palatable for a lot of groups, which is good as I think they're really cool and flavorful additions.
>>
how do you decide whether something occupies more than one hex?
since the 'multi-hex figures' part of basic campaign's tactical combat explanation doesn't actually tell you how to decide whether something occupies more than one hex or even how many hexes something of a certain SM can occupy

the only relevant piece of information is that a normal human who's lying down or has the 'horizontal' disadvantage takes up two hexes, which is described a little earlier, but it doesn't offer anything more
>>
>>46420994
>Especially the Independent Body Parts variant of Injury Tolerance - one of my favorite horror tricks.
Not him, but I love this. Is there any way to make it so you can detach your bits at will? I need to make a character around this.
>>
>>46422822
It's a common sense thing. If a monster is 15 feet long and 6 feet wide, it takes up a 5x2 rectangle on the hexgrid.

It's not like D&D where there are Size Categories and everything takes up an 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, etc. square based on it's category.
>>
File: 1438539130842.jpg (30 KB, 460x397) Image search: [Google]
1438539130842.jpg
30 KB, 460x397
>>46423230
that just seems weird, in a system where you can find a way to solidly stat out pretty much whatever you like, there's no basic instructions or guides for properly using SM with the game's grids.
oh well, if there really isn't anything i can still make do, it's not that big of an issue.
>>
>>46423570
I thin combat writ large has guidelines for SM to hexagon footprint based on build, as well as other strategies and options for giants in Combat, writ large.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.