[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: CurseofStrahd_Podcast_Thumb.jpg (71 KB, 870x490) Image search: [Google]
CurseofStrahd_Podcast_Thumb.jpg
71 KB, 870x490
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ
>>
This is what we have of CoS so far...

>First 20 pages
https://mega.nz/#F!4hxnmbbC!b4VJCYBTKvNN4FJ1zQU2uQ

>Chapter 4
https://mega.nz/#!TgJQgZwa!OZw13Eb6BLAtQJ-SaRd18CgSTUHH6m-FsFwDwajEYBo
>>
>>46153967
What happened to all the homebrew stuff that /tg/ had made? The Downtime Activities and stuff. I can't seem to find the link in the pastebin, though perhaps I'm just blind.
>>
File: Races of Ravenloft.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Races of Ravenloft.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46153967
>>46154004
Oh, while I'm here and on that subject...

Races of Ravenloft

>Caliban
Hideous people who were exposed to fell magic while still in the womb. Comes in two varieties: Hulks, which are big Frankenstein-looking motherfuckers, and Runts, which are tiny Igor-looking motherfuckers. Directly updated from Ravenloft.

>Dhampirs
Half-human, half-vampire, usually created as a result of a pregnant woman being attacked by a vampire but surviving the encounter, rather than sex. Though that's possible. Comes in three varieties; Dread, Noble, and Feral. Based off of some homebrew I found online, but toned down significantly from said homebrew.

There's also variant rules for Dhampirs still being able to turn people in vampire spawn (which the dampirs don't control and who proabbly won't be happy), as well as dhampirs becoming vampires by 9th level.

>Half-Vistani
Half-gypsies who are basically the half-elves of the setting, but Wisdom-based rather than Charisma-based. Also get a lesser Evil Eye.

>Human
Mostly there for explaining patronymics. Directly copied from standard D&D

>Shifters
Imported from Eberron, but I think they actually fit the setting. Directly lifted from the Unearthed Arcana.

Also includes variant rules whereby they still carry the lycanthropy curse and can become full lycanthropes by level 9.

>Tieflings
More in line with the original Planescape version in that they look basically human but with a random number of devilish traits. Also includes the variant traits from SCAG.
>>
If anyone remembers me from the last 5e general thread, I've updated my Oathbreaker variant homebrew based on input, and would love to get some more feedback on the latest iteration (What needs rebalancing, etc.):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/srs6pucafjrejrf/Oathbreaker%20Variant%20v2.5.rtf?dl=0

(I posted this in a thread someone made about death knights, but got no replies)
>>
File: uruk-hai.png (628 KB, 1073x875) Image search: [Google]
uruk-hai.png
628 KB, 1073x875
>>46154061
>Caliban
Yes please
>>
File: Eileenthepebblehoarder.png (123 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
Eileenthepebblehoarder.png
123 KB, 450x600
I accidentally a whole post. Meant to post it here.

http://pastebin.com/8xXXujGU

How does my Rogue Blood Magic/Gunslinger variant archetype look?

The way I want it to work is a class that takes careful planning and patience to reap the most rewards. A regular gunslinger would easily win in a one on one fight, but this archetype I want to capitalize on the rogues sneak attack strengths, for a one shot-one kill sniper that uses their own blood.

I'm gonna make my CoS game feel very Bloodborne.
>>
File: moon presence.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
moon presence.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>46154172
>I'm gonna make my CoS game feel very Bloodborne.
Don't forget about the Great Old Ones!
>>
>>46154238

Of course. But they are going to be very hidden and distant, with only whispers of madmen even acknowledging their presence during the entire 10 level CoS adventure. But we'll likely keep going after that and find out all there is to learn about the cursed land.

In any case, is the class archetype too OP?
>>
>>46154172
The lines
>the power they hold is simply an art form, unconnected to gods or the magical weave, that it comes from themselves and themselves alone
and
>The sigils they create can often times seem....otherwordly.

Seem to contradict eachother. If the power of bloodtinge is otherworldly, it has other points of origin besides the caster themselves. And, if you're going with Bloodborne themes, it certainly should have some connection to the Great Old Ones. If the hints spread throughout the game are anything to go by, the beasts started appearing because the healing church was mixing blood of the Great Ones with that of mortals. Take that into consideration.
>>
>>46154172
Also,
>Bloodtinge ammo can be made from scratch as if one were making a common magical item
And essentially the entire "Gunsmith" part, there should be a monetary cost specified for creating such weapons and ammunition.
>>
>>46154286

Yeah I kind of changed my mind mid-paragraph while writing that. On one hand I don't want it to be blood magic, which is connected to the weave and what have you. I'm still doing the campaign in the forgotten realms setting. So at first I wanted it to be a personal art that granted power. But then the more I thought about it, the more I wanted there to be influence from the Old Ones. Much like how in Bloodborne, the guy that made all the runes had massive insight and could read their language. So maybe this could be the same concept, but written in blood.
>>
>>46154303

I took the entire first half of that straight from the Gunslinger homebrew in the DM's guild lol.

>>46154316

And thats straight from the homebrew Blood Magic in Unearthed Arcana. Basically you lose your hit die that you'd normally use to heal yourself during a rest with.
>>
>>46154172
It looks like you have to spend hit die to get any bloodtinge points, if I'm understanding this correctly. It sounds like a very rarely used ability.

It describes that bullet creation is done as a magical item, so spending 8 hours in a day just for two bullets that can miss, and also cost hit die to shoot, extremely hard to use.

Madman's knowledge, gaining short-term madness, at this point, whoever is going to play this archetype, also has to have the DMG on their person, to look all this shit up unless it's intended to be this obfuscated. This is also really player dependant, because it's a mechanical benefit for roleplaying circumstance, it sounds like things you wouldn't want to mix together. Then again, I'm the kind of person who thinks madness is kind of an 'eh' concept in DnD.

That's all for now, continuing reading.
>>
>>46154322
>I took the entire first half of that straight from the Gunslinger homebrew in the DM's guild lol.
I would say the same thing to them, then. No one gets to create weapons for free.
>>
>>46154172
I think Madman's Knowledge should be something a player can choose to activate whenever they make an insight check, rather than a passive trait. Otherwise, it seems like too negative of a feature.
>>
>>46154061

Which setting does this actually refer to? The more recent and expanded AD&D setting with the Lands of the Core and the Islands? or is this the 1980s Ravenloft that CoS takes after?
>>
>>46154325

It would be pretty rarely used. Considering you can spend a turn to using the second action in the First Blood perk to give yourself two major wounds, and then get an attack thats pretty much a guarenteed crit if it hits, and a nat 20 does maximum damage, im really trying for a sniper type class. You can still use a gun and other rogue abilities outside of this, remember.

As for Madmen's knowledge, thats more of a flavor thing. With advantage, failing the insight roll would be pretty difficult, but I wanted there to be some sort of drawback to keep it from being too strong. I figured short term madness would work, especially since it fits with the archetype concept in my mind.

>>46154359

This sounds like a good idea. I'll put that in.
>>
>>46154172
You should specify what sort of action performing a Bloodtinge ability requires. If it requires a bonus action, I think that would be balanced. If it requires no action, I'd say they're too powerful.
>>
There is a room in Ravenloft where Two iron golems come to life and kill the party if they mess with a brazier

I have players who love just smashing random shit. They are going to get raped
>>
>>46154172
>>46154379
In addition, can you stack some of them?
It sounds like there's no limit to minor wounds, so if you get a good several rounds to prepare a shot, it's going to be ludicruously good.
>>
>>46154396

My god. I can't wait to see my party go weeks into the book and then get fucked by them..

I--is that too evil of me?..
>>
>>46154379

Enhancing the bullet costs a bonus action, and can place any amount of currently stored Bloodtinge points on that piece of ammunition. However, creating the wounds costs a bonus action for a minor, or an action for a major. With this, you can theoretically get off an attack with advantage using the Bloodseeker bullet every other round.

>>46154401

You can only have as many bloodtinge points as your Int mod, but in one action can place any amount of bloodtinge points you've created with wounds on that round.
>>
File: cleric of kelemvor.jpg (47 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
cleric of kelemvor.jpg
47 KB, 800x450
>>46154172
Reaper seems badly in need of a nerf. Many creatures have very few hitpoints for their CR, like Demiliches, and rely on other means to survive. If you want an instant death attack, consider something similar to the Death Cleric's Touch of Death ability, or, as I prefer, the Cleric of Kelemvor variant's Deathtouch.
>>
>>46154421

>Contructs and undead are immune.

I figure by level 17 it really wouldn't matter much.
>>
>>46154086
Any feedback on this?
>>
>>46154416
The only way I see them surviving is if they use the brazier or destroy the doors. Although they might not even then because of two 45 damage poison breaths
>>
>>46154440

Honestly it's a pretty cut and dry variant. I don't see any problems with it right offhand.

I could probably go in depth and look at all the spell differences and see if necrotic damage is stronger or weaker than what those spells would normally do, but otherwise nothing is catching my eye as being too strong or weak. The oath of vengeance paladin in my campaign has a companion stronger than those shadows with a little bit of DM leeway, and he's still not the strongest in the group.

I'd give it a pass.
>>
>>46154418
Someone with no or minimum Int modifier cannot gain any benefit from Major Wound.
>>
>>46154440
whats the point of learning vampiric touch when he has hungering smite
>>
>>46154475

Basically, yes.
>>
>>46154485
So the only Bloodtinge abilities he can use are just two bullet enhancements?
>>
>>46154479
Vampiric Touch is infinitely superior to Hungering Smite. Hungering Smite provides half of 2d6 temporary hit points, Temporary hit points do not stack. If you gain more temporary hit points from a new source, you keep whichever are higher, you do not combine the two.
>>
>>46154440
keep in mind that evoke shadows is 5 CR 1/2 summons so you are giving your paladin a 3-4th level summoning spell every rest

my main question apart from
>>46154479

Is why. whats the point of this archetype over oathbreaker
>>
>>46154494

3 at level 3, and 5 at level 13.

From the feedback I've gotten I feel like in my quest to make it not too powerful, i've ended up making it underpowered.
>>
>>46154508

Sorry, 6 at level 13
>>
>>46154508
Whispering Bullet costs 2, someone with low int modifier cannot hold 2 points.
So does Nightmare bullet and blinding bullet not to mention Old Bonedust Bullet.
>>
Are the stirge and flying snake the only 'fantastical beasts' that are actually classified as beasts in the MM?
>>
>>46154504
>whats the point of this archetype over oathbreaker
Oathbreaker, as an archetype, is focused on mind control (crown of madness, dominate person, dreadful aspect) and undead management. I love the concept of a dark/fallen paladin, but not in the way the current Oathbreaker portrays it, and wanted to create something a bit different.
>>
>>46154524

Ah yeah, well i was keeping in mind that whoever's picking this archetype would be putting points into Int, especially because the rogue gets so many ability score ups.
>>
>>46154528

No
>>
>>46154524
In addition, to even use Old Bonedust Bullet, you need a minimum of 18 Int.
No other archetype locks stuff behind minimum modifiers.
>>
>>46154501
Not really

Vampiric touch is heal half of 3d6 damage using 3rd level slot so average of 5 damage healed

Hungering strike is 4d6 damage at 3rd level (plus your normal weapon damage) and average 7 temp hp. It's also a bonus action so you can also do your other attack damage

no one is ever EVER going to use vampiric touch when they can hungering strike
>>
>>46154504
>5 CR 1/2 summons
That's only if they have 20 Charisma, which they shouldn't until late game. Also, keep in mind that, even at 20 Cha, 5 is the maximum, and they disappear after 1 minute. It's meant to be used in combat, and making it a Channel Divinity forces a choice between shadows or Baleful Blade.
>>
>>46154533
This seems stupid. If you can't make preexisting mechanics support your fluff, then play a new game.
>>
>>46154549

You've got a point. I may need to rework this a bit. Perhaps I could make it so they just keep gaining more Bloodtinge abilities as they level up at certain intervals. Make a nice little chart like someone would do with spells.
>>
>>46154556
I'm not dissing you I'm just hoping that you are aware that you are gifting them a 3/4th level spell a rest
>>
>>46154551
The temporary hit points gained from Hungering Smite are only half of the additional necrotic damage (2d6) not the entire attack's damage.
>>
>>46154570
Cast at 3rd level (vampiric touch is 3rd level) hungering strike does an additional 4d6 necrotic damage. The average of 4d6 is 14 and half that is 7
>>
>>46154570
>>46154551
Should I nerf Hungering Smite to 1d6?
>>
>>46154539
I haven't even gotten to the potential theory of a one shot sniper kill, but the conclusion to this homebrew archetype I'm coming to is "locked".
It might be really fun or overpowered or underpowered when you do unlock the abilities for real but you have to pick ASIs in a certain way to even access them.
It's the creating the MMO-issue where there's only one build that works and doesn't let you go wild with your own imagination, you can't be a feat-heavy Hoonter.
>>
>>46153967
Alright spoilers about Out of the Abyss

My group is running is right now and we just had 2 fatalities

we just got to sloobludop, did that evil priestess of the deep father rek anyone else?
>>
>>46154585
I have no problem with it, I'm just asking WHY would you give them vampiric touch when it is useless to them
>>
>>46154558
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants there to be an antipaladin that's not just a mindraping armored necromancer.
>>
>>46154596
Good question. To be honest, I'm not quite sure. I could replace with a different spell, but I don't know which. The lifedrain seemed thematically appropriate to the archetype I was going for, but the only reason I put it there is that I originally intended Evoke Shadows to be a spell, and put it there, but considered that too overpowered and made it into a Channel Divinity.
>>
>>46154599
>>46154558
Also, besides what I said, the Oathbreaker is essentially still a regular Paladin. I'd expect a dark knight to have a bit more necrotic damage.
>>
>>46154616
Hunger of Hadar, Bestow Curse or Gaseous Form
>>
>>46154588

Im re-doing it now so that creating the bullets and enhancing them is more like a wizard preparing his spells during a short rest. Will post the revised version in a moment.
>>
>>46154638
Standard Oathbreakers already learn Bestow Curse at level 9, and so does my variant. Hunger of Hadar's not a bad idea, though.

Also, do you think I should change Hungering Smite so that the temporary hit points it provides are equal to the caster's CHA modifier instead?
>>
>>46154547
ok thanks. What else is their, aside from giant X and dire X
>>
>fucking around at home
>roll high
>on game day
>roll terribly

I'm cursed.
>>
>>46154685
r u strahd
>>
Remember to remind your players to return all undead slain to life!

Especially power archmages who are in love with Strahd and will TOTALLY help the party slay him
>>
>>46154004
Do ya'll really want it in there? It seemed rather pointless, everyone has their stuff up on DMsGuild I thought.
>>
>>46153967
In the tg 4 page character sheet in the player reference it says a player has to disengage before hiding. Can't find this backed up anywhere in the Rulebooks. Has anyone an explanation for that?
>>
>>46154722
Charsheet anon fucked up.
>>
>>46154657
>Also, do you think I should change Hungering Smite so that the temporary hit points it provides are equal to the caster's CHA modifier instead?
No more feedback on this?
>>
>>46153967
>thinking about multi classing
>not enough stat

wake me up
>>
>>46154787
It's best to plan out your multiclassing at character creation so that you don't run into problems like this.
>>
>30 point buy
y/n?
>>
File: don't.jpg (297 KB, 447x822) Image search: [Google]
don't.jpg
297 KB, 447x822
>>
>Sorceror likes casting Catapult
>He tends not to shoot away from the party, and instead towards the party
>The rogue lost their horse as the magical railgun puts a hole through.
NO SENSE OF SAFETY
>>
>>46154820
>Hunger of Hadar
WARLOCKS
NO SENSE OF SAFETY
>>
>>46154812

It's only 3 points more than the variant listed in the PHB, so it shouldn't make too much of a difference. If you're going to tweak, why not make it a substantial tweak? Give 'em 35 and throw mobs of nasty creatures at 'em.
>>
>>46154787

That's why god gave you ability score advancements.
>>
>>46154819
i keked
>>
>>46154885
thank you
>>
>>46154759

I think that a maximum of five temporary hit points is not worth losing a lot of sleep over.
>>
>>46154890
As in, it's underpowered, and I should leave it the way it was? I'm not sure what you're saying. Also, I'm considering replacing the Oathbreaker's 7th level "Aura of Hate" with Evoke Shadows, and have it recharge on a long rest, because I think having it as a Channel Divinity might be overpowered. What do you think?
>>
>>46154558
Ah, it's Mr No Wrongbadfun
I was wonder when he would show up...
>>
>>46154834
>Fireball in an enclosed room
Arcane Casters, no sense of safety!
>>
>>46154915

I haven't read through your whole homebrew, because I don't really give a shit about you. Apparently it was 2d6, or 1d6, and now you want to make it CHA bonus? It's a pretty small change, honestly. Use whichever one is easiest to run at the table.

What is your goal in making all these changes? The Oathbreaker as written seems fine to me.
>>
>>46154952
Unless they are Evocation
>>
File: 03Hellgate_web.jpg (436 KB, 864x612) Image search: [Google]
03Hellgate_web.jpg
436 KB, 864x612
Heres version 2.0 of the bloodtinge marksman rogue.

I also added in some new spicy bullet abilities that are pretty broken, but at this point i'm just having fun.

http://pastebin.com/2iu4xnpH
>>
>>46154958
>What is your goal in making all these changes?
I'm not satisfied with the current Oathbreaker's status as an armored necromancer with mind control abilities, and wanted to create an antipaladin with different themes, like the ebb and flow of life energy, for instance.
>>
File: 1426576421167.gif (219 KB, 250x287) Image search: [Google]
1426576421167.gif
219 KB, 250x287
charasheet anon, if you're here I've got a thing to ask.
I was looking through your mega and I didn't see a Favored soul Sorcerer.

It's probably really complicated and dumb to implement since it intersects with cleric but I was just wondering if it was possible that you would be willing to make one.
>>
>>46154983
Rookie mistake. The sign was a trick, HELLGATE KEEP WAS TOO THE NORTH THE WHOLE TIME
>>
>>46154983
It looks great, but you didn't need to nerf Reaper THAT hard. It is a level 17 ability, after all. I'd suggest making the DC a little higher, and possibly allowing to affect undead. (This homebrew will often be fighting undead if it's used in Ravenloft, right?)
>>
>>46154996
Is that from Little Witch Academia? I loved it.
>>
>>46155008

You've got a point. Upping the DC a bit.
>>
File: 1453227020119.png (34 KB, 298x268) Image search: [Google]
1453227020119.png
34 KB, 298x268
>>46155019
yeah.
they got a second one out, if you weren't aware.
>>
>>46154812
Yes.
with normal human, it allows 16 in 3 stats with 10 in the other 3, or 14 in every stat.
Nowhere near unbalanced, and even makes normal human a better option IMO.
>>
>>46154983
Hey, I like it. It reads like fun.
Needs some gun stats, bullet creation cost for ease.
I was thinking that maybe Madman's Knowledge on a critical or restoring on a long rest or an upgrade at a higher level can allow one casting of True Seeing on self without needing to provide material components or a spell slot.
It sounds like a Bloodborne thing to happen.
>>
>>46155045

http://pastebin.com/DZKYMchj

Now we're going places.

Did I mention this is my first ever homebrew class?

I'm pretty proud of it.
>>
>>46155088

Yes that sounds great. Adding that too.
>>
>>46155045
>upping DC

DC is based on 8 + proficiency bonus + ability modifier
>>
>>46155088
There are gun stats in the DMG. They're not too different from crossbows.
>>
>>46155113
Spell Save DC typically is, yes, but this anon listed a specific DC for the ability in his homebrew. Come to think of it, using standard spell save D
>>
File: 1407736004353.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1407736004353.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
any archetype of Blood Hunter (including the lycan one) is a fine class to let a player run for Death house/CoS, right?
How about spelless ranger?
I've got players that are interested in both.
>>
>>46155126
meant to say "Come to think of it, using standard spell save DC would probably be an improvement."
>>
>>46155126
well that shows what kind of intelligence this anon is equipped with
>>
>>46154987
Don't bother responding to
>>46154958
>TLDR I don't give a shit
It's just waiting you.
>>
File: boss.gif (994 KB, 257x194) Image search: [Google]
boss.gif
994 KB, 257x194
And voila!

http://pastebin.com/NfdMPjNe
>>
>>46154983
At this point you
>you continue north, unbeknownst to you a pack of wondering goblins switched the sign around, you go north and arrive at hellgate keep

or

>you go back the way you came? Okay you go back the road you travelled and find yourself at hellgate keep anyway. An ominous voice calls to you from inside saying ''adventure awaits you ooooooo~''
>>
Two hours, a hiding place, and the victim's name
at 13th level
gives advantage, double damage, crit on 15, max on 20, sharpshooter effect.
Hell, let's throw the sharpshooter -5 on top.
I calculate an average of 94 damage on hit, disregarding any int/dex modifiers.
>>
>>46155267
In reply to the new bloodtinge marksman.
>>46155186
>>
>>46155278
>>46155267
Actually, it's much higher, the ratio of crit to hit is much higher.
>>
>>46155267

Sounds about right. It's a single use thing. Turns whatever decided to get it's name written on that bullet into a fine paste. Maybe make it so only one bullet of that kind can be made for that particular person.

It's strong as all hell, but I feel like the planning needed for it and the favorable conditions needed make up for it. A wizard does an average of what, 40 damage with a 7th level spell? And can get a zombie thrall out of it to keep fighting for him after it kills the target.
>>
>>46155340

Or make it so the Oathblood Bullet can't be taken with any other Bloodtinge effects.
>>
>>46155355

Actually i'll just get rid of the double damage. Perhaps make that it's own bullet effect entirely.
>>
>>46155340
>40 damage with a 7th level spell
Should be much higher. A fighter/barbarian multiclass can do at least twice that damage at character level 7.
>>
When my group finishes CoS, what world should I shit them out in to?

or should I just make Barovia expand into the AD&D Ravenloft land and watch the horror on each of their faces?
>>
>>46155410

Oh, so the potential double damage wasn't that bad then?
>>
>>46154558
I take a pretty dim view of a lot of the shovelware homebrew that gets posted here, but you're a retard.
>>
>>46155436
Let's say, a 13th level bloodtinge marksman can take down or critically injure a vampire. Some further prep time and the regeneration and mist form can be dealt with.
>>
>>46155418
Dark Sun

Or Spelljammer

No middle grounds
>>
>>46154172
>I'm gonna make my CoS game feel very Bloodborne
You and everyone else, anon.
>>
>>46155478

yeah i'm just gonna get rid of the double damage. there's already other damaging bullets.
>>
>>46155418
>or should I just make Barovia expand into the AD&D Ravenloft land
I would love you forever
>>
>>46155258
What? No. That's retarded railroading.

You just add a castle to the mountains and use the maps you made for hellkeep.
>>
>>46155490
Bloodborne is not gothic horror.. You may as well make an entirely different setting..
>>
>>46155679

It's certainly a lot more along the lines of lovecraftian horror, but no one said you can't mix the two.
>>
>>46155418
homebrew world anon.
>>
Coming from 2nd edition, I was hoping it was still possible to create a weapon master type, but that no longer seems possible. In fact, most of it comes from feats and things anyone can spend 3 levels on getting by multiclassing

How would you make a hyper specialized weapon master who would absolutely facestomp anyone else in a 1 on 1 duel without magic involved?

I miss the mastery progression they had...
>>
What should I do after my players finish PotA? It only takes them up to level 15 and has a pretty epic climax so I'm not sure what to do from there

I was thinking maybe have them fight one more elemental prince in its home turf (being sucked into a portal yadda yadda yadda) and then after that put them out to a battle between the two remaining princes and their cults, making it an effectively 3-way struggle?
>>
>>46156376
Battlemaster fighter. If you want ridiculous damage, play a variant human, starting with the Great Weapon Master feat, then multiclass into Barbarian.
>>
>>46156376
>How would you make a hyper specialized weapon master

I wouldn't. Weapons are incredibly abstracted. It's a bad idea. If you want that sort of class you want a different system.

>absolutely facestomp anyone else in a 1 on 1 duel without magic involved?

A fighter. Alternately, no one, as above.
>>
>>46155679
>Bloodborne is not gothic horror
You're right, it's an action game set in a gothic horror setting, like Castlevania. Also with Great Old ones pulling the strings behind the scenes.
>>
Our campaign just had a time-skip from level 7 to 11 (personally I wish we'd just play through those levels, but whatever, everyone else in the group wanted it).

I'm trying to figure out what Cleric spells to take. I'm definitely learning Greater Restoration, Planar Ally, Heal, and Harm. Any others I should look into?
>>
Do you folks think it would be broken if a Paladin could learn Phantom Steed?
>>
>>46156536
Not at all, it kinda fits
>>
>>46156536
Completely not. UA Modern Magic even seemed to approve that, as it lets them summon a car.
>>
For those of you who have run Death House, approximately how long did it take to complete?

I'm thinking about running it as a one-shot to tease a future CoS campaign once we finish LMoP.
>>
File: 1341048102171.jpg (218 KB, 351x339) Image search: [Google]
1341048102171.jpg
218 KB, 351x339
>>46156909
>lets them summon a car.
This is incredible
>>
How do you deal with fleeing combat in 5e?
>>
>>46156939
depends on the the competancy of your players and how they want to tackle it, somewhere between 6-10 hours
>>
>>46156939

Almost 6 hours and my players went into every room. Sometimes twice. And they did the "long" ending. Nobody died (6 PCs. All smart fuckers)
>>
>>46156939
My group took 4 hours, and everybody died in the end :^)
>>
>>46157036
dmg has chase rules
>>
Is LaTeX a good tool to reproduce UA and books page layout style or a waste of time? In this regard, care to suggest a cool font for it?
>>
>>46154369
The AD&D expanded setting, mostly, though not completely. As much fun as the idea of Barovia being a demiplane that sucks in folk from other worlds is, I kind of prefer the idea that Barovia is just one place on a natural plane. The place still has Mists and the Dark Powers and stuff, but it's not likely that it'll pull in folk from Eberron or Greyhawk or the like.

Mostly I just find the idea of elves and orcs and gnomes wandering around Ravenloft a bit incongruous and immersion-breaking. So I assembled the races above from various sources, with the idea being that Barovia is just one place in an otherwise complete and normal (within the standards of fantasy and horror) world, and its races then are selected based around the idea of classical horror tropes rather than fairy-tale tropes:

- Caliban: Frankenstein (hulks) and Igor (runts)
- Dhampirs: Vampires, of the Nosferatu (dread), Carmilla (noble), and Bram Stoker (Feral) varieties
- Half-Vistani: Gypsies
- Shifters: Wolf-men and other lycanthropes; could probably also be used for an Island of Doctor Moreau type thing.
- Tieflings: Faustian pacts and probably a bit of Lovecraftian overtones if you wanted.
>>
>>46157036
Depends on the creature and situation. Generally speaking, the creatures will either not chase at all or chase until their ability to chase is stopped or until they fall too far behind. Or until they loose interest.
>>
>>46157498
That really doesn't answer anything about 5e
>>
>>46156939
I want to say my group took roughly 8 hours roughly, but we were cutting up a lot between rp and having a general good time, and we also searched every room in the house. I think a focused and lucky group could clear it in 4 to 6 hours.
>>
>>46157460
You can get all the fonts you need and layout instructions from the DM's guild
>>
>>46157529
What more is there to say about chasing though? There are no specific chase mechanics. You just move and dash until you escape or until your caught. If you run for a long time the DM could call for con saves for exhaustion but that would be a crap ton of in game time spent running.
>>
>>46157598
>There are no specific chase mechanics.
Except there are on page 252 of the DMG.
>>
>>46157598
>There are no specific chase mechanics
That's the problem you idiot. You can't get away from someone trying to murder you if they start within five feet of you.
>>
>>46157634
Action to Disengage, then movement to move up to your speed away. Then if you're a Thief Rogue or other cool class, bonus action to move up to your speed again
>>
File: chases.png (882 KB, 1180x512) Image search: [Google]
chases.png
882 KB, 1180x512
>>
>>46157722
>he dashes after you and nothing has changed
or you're playing one of the like fifteen other classes that don't have enhanced speed options and he moves after you and full attacks
>>
>>46157737
In addition to that, there's a table of chase complications, so you can reenact your Jackie Chan scenes.
>>
>>46157748
Well, then, that's what your teammates are for. Run past them so that if the guy enters and then leaves their threatened squares, he is attacked by them.

Or, he's just gonna run you down and gut you, 'cause you're having a bad day and/or found yourself in a bad tactical situation, possibly due to your own dumb ass, possibly just due to the other guy getting lucky or playing smart.

Shit happens, anon, learn to deal with it rather than whining about it. That's what Death saving throws and your fellow party members are for.
>>
>>46157795
Gee, you must have so many friends.
>>
File: 1413691209805.jpg (24 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1413691209805.jpg
24 KB, 400x462
>>46157795
>>
>>46154732
>>46154722
fixed.

>>46154996
will look into it
>>
>>46157824 >>46157799
Well, what the Hell do you want? Guy's whining about starting within 5 feet of a bad guy whom he apparently can't take in a fight for one reason or another. Either he got stupid, or the other guy got smart or lucky. Either way there are a variety of options open to him, but not all of them will necessarily work, and nor *should* he have an instantly-successful escape option

Sometimes characters die. Shit happens.
>>
>>46157634
>>46157748
>>46157795
Or, ya know, you could get the casters to slow it down with hazards and debuffs. Or look for natural hazards and other things that could easily put a good gap between the enemy creature and you.
>>
>>46154421
I don't understand, how is hitting an extra nearby person with "Chill Touch" in need of nerf? That's useless.
>>
>>46157865
>Well, what the Hell do you want?
For you to acknowledge the existence chase rules as pointed
>>46157450
>>46157626
>>46157737
>>46157770
>>
>>46157890
It doesn't. The Death Domain is actually pretty well balanced. If anything it's the School of Necromancy that needs a serious once-over.
>>
>>46157875
You realize that if someone turns and sprints away from you, even on an open plain, there's a good chance you won't be able to catch them, right? 5e movement does not represent reality when it comes to fleeing combat.
>>
>>46157890
You are misunderstanding the context.
Reaper in this context is the Bloodtinge Marksman class feature and not in the screencap.
>>
Is there a kusarigama statted anywhere in official rules?
>>
>>46157935
Take sickle stats.
>>
>>46157935
Not really. Just use a whip and ask your DM if it can deal piercing damage instead of/in addition to slashing damage.
>>
>>46157935
Same stats as a short sword.
>>
>>46157737
A Reasonable system the DM could implement if they so desire.
>>
My DM told me to come up with an exact deal my Warlock made with his patron, I chose Verenestra for Archfey, I was thinking the deal would be ''I will do your bidding on the material plane and represent you, if upon my death my soul is secured by you and I am reserved a place at your side on the Seelie court as a servant'' Would this be a type of deal an Archfey would make?
>>
>>46157970
Sounds too straightforward for a fey. Make it more cryptic and ambiguous.
>>
>>46157914
DnD is not meant to represent reality my friend. It's a fantasy tabletop rpg for a reason.
>>
>>46157953
kusarigama has range

>>46157955
need official rules

>>46157998
You're an idiot
>>
>>46157970
Not really. The Fair Folk care little for souls. It's more likely that Verenestra will want you to perform some specific task on the Material Plane that she herself can't - retrieve an object, kill some prince, vandalize a specific passing merchant, seek thee out the hottest man that she might ravish him, summon up a demon into the center of a major city just to see what would happen...

Faeries are the kind of people who, if they saw you dying of hunger, are equally likely to provide you with a free and fine meal, or to sit down and wait, wanting to see how thin you can get. Try to keep that in mind.
>>
>>46158007
>need official rules

There are no official rules. It's best represented by a whip, much as a nunchaku is best represented by a club.
>>
>>46157916
Ah, thank you for clarifying.
>>
>>46158007
>need official rules
The official rules say that all one handed eastern weapons are just refluffed monk weapons, so just pick whatever monk weapon fits best.
>>
>>46158007
You are rude and incompetent.
>>
>>46158051
>one handed
it's not one-handed though
>>
>>46158078
It's a one handed weapon on the end of a chain. Use your fucking imagination.
>>
>>46158078
Kusarigama, right? No, it's not one-handed. But like I said, there are no official rules for a kusarigama in D&D 5E, so your closest match is a whip.

If that's not good enough, convince your DM to come up with stats for it himself. Probably not too hard.
>>
>>46157916
>>46157890
Actually, you're both wrong. I posted that image to draw a comparison to the Cleric of Kelemvor's Death Touch.
>>
>>46152449
>Spell Sniper
>For Lightning Bolt
Lightning bolt doesn't require you to make an attack roll.

>>46152537
Up to level 5, you can invoke your spirit companion once per rest. It's hardly potent. Don't feel bad, though. It's a common misreading. Lots of people are illiterate.
>>
>>46153985
Why are the first 20 pages in a folder called "viruses"?
>>
>>46154595
What level was the party?
>>
>>46158501
It's just a gaff.
>>
CoS is so much fun, holy shit.
>>
I don't usually play casters, but, looks like we're going to get TPK'd (again) if I don't bring one to the table. Sorcerer, Warlock, or go human sorcerer with magic initiate feat to steal eldritch blast? We're doing Death House, and it looks like we're going to start back up where we left off (in combat in the basement) so I need to be dealing damage right off the bat with a lvl 1.
I also already rolled up a life cleric in case someone else brings a blaster, but I want options.
>>
Uncanny Dodge is specifically for attack rolls, right? Had one guy convince the DM he could use Uncanny Dodge against spells last night. And I mean spells without attack rolls.
>>
>>46154787
What class are you currently playing?
>>
>>46158997
Sure it's not evasion?
>>
>>46159061

The guy was a level 5 Rogue, it's not evasion. Guy's just a threeaboo who likes to bend the rules a lot.
>>
I'm considering picking up a level or two of Light Cleric for my Dex Fighter. I'm thinking the first level I take after I hit level 5 in Fighter, but would I be better off waiting until after I hit my second ability score improvement or not?
>>
>>46158989
>human sorcerer with magic initiate feat to steal eldritch blast
Don't bother with that, EB isn't all that great without invocations.
If you're going Sorc, just stick with firebolt. Sure force damage is better than fire, but it's not worth the feat investment.
>>
>>46158078
>posts ">one handed"
Nowhere in that post did it say one handed, what are you even talking about.
>>
>>46158178
Then why didn't you mention it?
Do you need a chromosome removed?
>>
>>46159163
it was presumably a mis click for the post beneath it
>>
Anyone got that homebrew Steel dragon stats and bloodline saved from a few threads ago?

I only remember that the anon replaced the poison/acid breath attacks with thunder damage (air blast breath) and had the sorc line get that boost on thunder damage.
>>
>>46159207
It was implicit in the post I replied to. We were discussing bloodborne anon's homebrew class, which has an insta-kill ability called "reaper." Also, if you read my whole post, you should've noticed that it ended with "consider something similar to the Death Cleric's Touch of Death ability, or, as I prefer, the Cleric of Kelemvor variant's Death Touch."
>>
>>46159146
That helps narrow it a bit. Yeah it's a little meta-gamey of me, but reading through the adventure I can see where our GM fucked up and didn't advance us to level 2 when we found the basement stairs, and as I said, it looks like we're starting back up in the start of the basement but still level one... So, yeah, grick, shambling mound, etc gonna have to deal with that noise and all those resistances.
>>
>>46159360

Bloodborne anon here, the guy's just arguing for sake of arguing.

I changed up the capstone ability instead of being a crafting ability. Tell me what you think.

http://pastebin.com/XbShingr
>>
>>46159282
>I only remember that the anon replaced the poison/acid breath attacks with thunder damage (air blast breath) and had the sorc line get that boost on thunder damage.
Unless anon is brewing something different from the steel dragons of waterdeep, anon has no idea what the fuck he's doing.

Steel Dragons are acid immune, poison resistant, breathe acid or poison, and can cast some Cleric spells. The bloodline would most easily be a recolored copper/black/green dragon.
>>
>>46159389
It seems fine now, assuming Intelligence is the class's main casting ability.
>>
>>46159389
Not either of the above anons, but change Reaper's name. It's already a class feature, and it means something entirely different.
>>
>>46159424
Aww and i was so happy for a bloodline with thunder damage...
>>
>>46159434

It's a rogue archetype, which is already going to have a high dex and int. Everything with the archetype is int based

.>>46159449

Ah alright, didn't catch that.
>>
>>46159460
Keep in mind, nothing's forcing you to actually play a Dragon Sorcerer as a literal descendant of a dragon. Refluffing the class without changing the mechanics is perfectly permissible. You could be a sorcerer who has magic power because they're descended from the fey, if you want, and just stat it as a dragon sorc.
>>
>>46159424
Weren't they:
Poison immune
Acid resistant

Poison / Acid breath

Suggestion/Greater suggestion and other mind control shit?
>>
>>46159464
If you want to rename it, consider something like "harvester," or perhaps something subtly associated with the Great Old Ones?
>>
>>46159508
Thought the resist/immune was the other way around, but maybe. There's a mess of other dragons that aren't in the 5eMM.

>>46159460
As >>46159502 says, yeah, ask your DM. Bring the thunder, fluff as you like.

SCAG storm bloodline gives you thunderstuff, though.
>>
I'm looking for some input on this puzzle/dungeon room.

My players are going to an evil temple. I was thinking of having one room in the temple/dungeon be locked with a statue of the evil god in the room. On the statue it says something about how only those who swear loyalty to the god may pass.

What would be a good way to swear loyalty to an evil Shark God? I was thinking something like drawing blood, which I could indicate on the bodies of the cultists. But that is kind of straightforward. Any thoughts/suggestions?
>>
>>46159631
>SCAG storm bloodline gives you thunderstuff, though.
This, too. Well worth checking out. It might be exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>46159637

You could make the entire room underwater, and they have hunt down and sacrifice the blood of a certain fish that the shark god prefers as his daily snack.
>>
>>46153967
Hey looking at the character reference sheets that Sheetbro made (thanks!) but he asked for any mistakes.

On the druid sheet, perhaps all of them? The Attacks section in the middle only lists Name, Range, Atk Bonus, Damage, Type / Weight on the first entry, if that was intentional awesome but it feels odd to not be listed for each entry.

Also, I'm a moron, what are the "Class Resource, Current / Maximum" on the bottom right corner?
>>
>>46159637
Shark makes me think of tooth, maybe the cultists need to remove teeth? Hell, maybe even a ritual ripping out of their own teeth and replacing them with shark like teeth?
>>
>>46159682

This.
>>
I need to find a map of a dwarven city. Any ideas?

My players might be exploring the Stronghold of the Nine, in the High Forest of Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>46159637
The cultists only eat burgers to remain loyal to the street sharks.
>>
>>46159682
Oh wow that's brutal! I love it. I'm assuming my characters won't want to actually rip out their own teeth. Any work around for that? I'm thinking just having the shark teeth in their mouths is good enough for the statue. But they won't know until they try it.
>>
>>46159424
Nothing preventing him from re-fluffing it.

They are attuned to elemental air after all so giving them Air blast breath (although i'd limit it to line 90 ft 12d6 with Str DC 15 save or knocked prone or pushed back 10 ft) with thunder damage is not far fetched.

I also remembered that post.
Used it recently for a boss encounter for an evil campaign.

Ancient Steel dragon,
Dragon, Huge

Hp 12d12 + 122 Hp (or 256 Hp)

21 AC

Resistance: Acid

Immunity : Poison

Movement: 50 ft land, 40 ft climb, 120 ft fly

28 Str, 10 Dex, 23 Con, 24 Int, 25 Wis, 20 Cha

Skills: Intimidation (8), Persuasion (11), Deception (8), Insight (17), Arcana (11), History (11)

Dragon breath (Air blast): 10 ft wide 90 ft long line 14d12 Thunder damage and DC 13 or get knocked prone.

It also has suggestion as an at will 5/Day.

Shape change.
Draconic presence DC 18 100 ft.

>>46159631
Storm sorc is kinda lame tho outside weather control and flight which you get later than a dragon sorc would even if it lets your party members fly it's fucked because by that time most of the party can already fly, run on water, has great swim speed and can move along walls at full speed.

You only get that thunder stuff on surges.
>>
>>46159829
Ah fuck posted wrong die on the breath attack.
>>
Seriously whichever charsheet anon is creating those reference sheets you are the man/or possibly woman. Cant wait to being these to my groups COS game that starts in a few weeks
>>
File: Races of Ravenloft.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Races of Ravenloft.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Updated this. Fixed some formatting and rules issues (the half-Vistani Evil Eye stun effect now runs out, for example - previously I forgot to give it a time limit), and I gave the calibans a (dis)ability that makes them fuck ugly and as such they can never become proficient in the Persuasion skill and make all Persuasion checks at disadvantage (but conversely they're always proficient in Intimidation, can use twice their Proficiency on it, and can use Strength instead of Charisma). I figure that this is better than a Charisma penalty, because a) 5E doesn't go in for ability penalties, and b) being fuck ugly shouldn't impact your ability to be a Sorcerer.
>>
File: goth-family-614x307.jpg (25 KB, 614x306) Image search: [Google]
goth-family-614x307.jpg
25 KB, 614x306
>>46160149

>mfw I know half the party is going to want to be Dahmpir
>>
>>46159681
The class resources differ based on class. They can be stuff like bardic inspiration, sorcerer points or a battlemaster's superiority dice.
>>
Supposing I have a barbarian and rolled 5 on a dice for stats. If I were to keep those stats should I use it on Charisma or just crash my intelligence for shits and giggles?
>>
>>46154061
>Directly lifted from the Unearthed Arcana.
So shit
>>
>>46160429
Rolled 5? As in, 3 5s? Standard ability score rolling is 6 rolls of 4d6k1. Perhaps you should rephrase your question.
>>
>>46160412
What would say...a Circle of the Land Druid be?
>>
>>46160627
What?
>>
>>46160429
I prefer to dump charisma, especially as a barbarian. It can be fun to have low-int but being fucking retarded sounds like it would be terrible.
>>
>>46160429
dump int. dont be retarded or simple, just out of touch or simple
>>
>>46159829
Jesus Christ, learn to use periods.
>>
>>46160627
A druid who focuses more on spellcasting and drawing magic from the earth than shapeshifting.
>>
>>46160562
No, rolled 4 dices and discarded the worst result. Rolled two 2s and 2 1s, shit sucks
>>46160713
>>46160728
I guess I'll dump charisma, having a half-orc barbarian with 5 int is asking for trouble.
>>
Would you allow a character to start with a silver dagger?
>>
>>46160848
Depends on their justification for it.
>>
>>46160848
All characters start naked and poor

Earn your equipment from the bodies of your foes
>>
>>46158731
You're just saying that to mock us sad DM that have to wait for the book to arrive because we aren't from burgerland. And there no hope for a scan in sight.

Fuck off. Stop having fun.
>>
>>46160848
If they pay the money to have it silvered, there's no reason why not.
>>
>>46160821
>rolled 4 dices and discarded the worst result
That's what 4d6k1 means.
>>
>>46160959
Man, silver cutlery must be ubber expensive
>>
>>46160627
Are you asking what class resource dr00ds use?
>>
>>46160981
I've been playing D&D for some years but I have never discussed it online. I should just lurk the fuck more
>>
>>46160995
It was in ye olden times.

Why do you think it was a family heirloom?
>>
>>46160995
I rule that silver knives for use at the table or in the kitchen don't count as daggers. They're silvered improvised weapons with a tendency to bend or break if used in a fight.
>>
>>46160995
But think about how safe you are from devils hags and lycanthropes. They'll never set foot in your home knowing you've got like 8 silver spoons
>>
>>46160981
>>46161028

It's not just you. I've never seen that "k" notation before.
>>
>>46161027
Yes.
>>
>>46160995
Columbus got his expedition to the west funded by the Queen of Spain selling her silver cutlery.
>>
>>46161078
They don't. Not every class has a class resource. That's why it's not on the basic character sheet. I guess you could use it for amount of times you can shapeshift?
>>
>>46160560
Probably. At least it's not unbalanced in the other direction, though.
>>
>>46156536
They already have Find Steed, which is infinitely better.
>>
>>46161078
>>46161109
Wild shape, nigga
>>
File: planar cartography.jpg (794 KB, 1623x2119) Image search: [Google]
planar cartography.jpg
794 KB, 1623x2119
Hey /5eg/, I'm DMing a campaign where the PCs have descended into the Nine Hells. The wizard plans on getting them out by casting the Banishment spell on the party, thus sending them back to their home plane (the Prime Material).

My question is, where exactly on the home plane would the spell send the target? The last location on that plane they visited before leaving? Somewhere random?
>>
>>46156909
Or a bike
>>
>>46161056
>improvised weapons
>d4 damage
>daggers
>d4 damage
Anon...
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.