[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gurpsgen/ - GURPS General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75
File: GURPS OP2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS OP2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Some Edition.

>>45943993
>>
>>46043554
>I don't want to drop my campaign, but I just got a job offer and can't run it during the day anymore
Life is suffering
>>
Run it during weekends?
>>
>>46044012
I hope I'll be able to; it would 'replace' my current irl game, but that's been so sparse as to be considered not happening
>>
Hey /gurpsgen/ I think I may have done a mistaken when building my character. I took a few martial arts techniques that I thought sounded cool, but now I realize I probably didn't invest enough for them to be worth it (namely, Power Blow and Pressure Points). Good news is, I have a good chunk of character points I can use to correct this, so any advice on what is the bare minimum for those techniques to be good would be extremely appreciated.
>>
>>46044171
GURPS is super easy to dump too many points into cool stuff without spending enough on fundmentals to make them worthwhile.

Get Karate up to 16-18 before you put any more points into fun stuff.
>>
>>46044521
Do not worry friend, the generic fighting skill is secured at Karate 17. But with that skill level in mind I often feel like I don't have an incentive to go for my options, again because I feel like I didn't invest in them correctly.
>>
>>46044581
Power Blow is mostly useful for door breaching. Smash your way into things, don't expect to use it in a fight unless you hit something made of stone.

Pressure points is hard to use. I mean, it's just not that useful from where I stand.
>>
>>46044581
Pressure points is best used to disable limps on someone. If they forgot to armor an arm or leg you can seize a good advantage at -4 (2 pressure points, 2 target limb), something you can pretty much afford at 17.
>>
>>46044764
Good point on Breaking Blow. None on my group can actually open doors (we haven't needed to so far).

>>46044900
Thank you, this give me an idea what to aim for. The last fights have been against non-human opponents so I think I should do something about that, though. Physiology was the skill that allowed you to use it on animals?
>>
>>46044955
I don't know. I feel like that might be right though. Pressure points is also good for creatures where you can only get 1 point past their DR but they don't have a huge HT.
>>
Okay so I was going to post my GCS sheet here in order to ask for advice but for some reason I don't see any of the Export options in the menu. Did that shit get turned off somehow?
>>
>>46045302

Yes, kinda. Now you have to use the Save As option to save it as HTML, PDF or GCS file.
>>
File: Miska Brühn.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Miska Brühn.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46045351
Thanks, but is there any reason that it got changed?

In any case, here's my original question. Please advise on how to improve this character for a game with Ultra-tech, Bio-tech, and Action. The concept is a geneticist with a background as a junior officer on a space battleship.

One of the main concerns I have is about money for genetic engineering as per Biotech rules, so I took Filthy Rich and Independent Income, but I don't know if that's actually a worthwhile investment of so many points.
>>
>>46044900
>>46045230
>Officer Judy Hops cosplay
I just saw that movie, and actually really liked it not a furry btw , and it got me thinking about running a cop game. Does anyone have experience with what that's like in GURPS? I know GURPS Cops exists, but does anyone know if it's any good? GURPS SWAT too for that matter?
>>
>>46045462
You'll have direct access to a vast amount of monetary funds; coupled with a security clearance, you could technically purchase "for personal use" just about anything you want, assuming you can talk your way past using it.

Also; dang son, 24 points and +9 skill? Thats epic level shit anon. Thats "designed the playing field others are just starting out on"
>>
File: 1453938951483.jpg (116 KB, 868x1250) Image search: [Google]
1453938951483.jpg
116 KB, 868x1250
>>46045638
Best game I ever ran was "Cops" then "shit gets a bit unreal with cultists" then "another dimension of supersoldiers invades, but accidentially unleashed an old one and it's minions"

COPS is fun; cops+anything else is funner
>>
>>46045722
>Also; dang son, 24 points and +9 skill? Thats epic level shit anon. Thats "designed the playing field others are just starting out on"
The character is supposed to be a leading pioneer in the field of human genetic engineering, her nickname comes from the genetic WMDs she created for the navy. That said, even with that much skill, Bio-tech is absolutely brutal with regards to using it, and for most purposes it's reduced to an effective skill of 9, maximum. And then you have to pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for even a single project, which is almost guaranteed to have some genetic flaws. I don't think the character would even be viable without the wealth, which is unfortunate.
>>
>On the turn immediately after a successful Judo parry, you may attempt to throw your attacker if he is within one yard. (B203)
Does this mean 1 range (touching hexes) or close combat (same hex)?
Can a judo-er do a wait all out defense, parry their opponent's 1 range attack, then use their step to move into their hex-- all in the same turn?
>>
>>46046014
Maybe consider treating certain applications like techniques? Also Gadgeteer is a heck of a drug.

If you're going for action, realism might not be so important. Focus on being "the smart guy", not "a university professor". Pretty sure that, or monster hunters, makes use of wildcard skills for such things ( and auto-successes for them).

Right now you're paying to be good at all bioengineering, but will you really need to design your own clone babby?
>>
>>46046852
The GM has said that the campaign priorites are (in this order): science, combat, survival and mechanics. All of the PCs are supposed to be paragons of some scientific field, and unfortunately I don't think there will be any cutting corners when it comes to using the skills.
>>
>>46046014
>I don't think the character would even be viable without the wealth, which is unfortunate.
Patron my man. Why spend your own cash when you can convince DARPA or some deep-pocketed African warlord to fund whatever mad science project you've got going? A handful of influence rolls can net you whatever budget you'd need as long as you can make it sound like it benefits them.

And as for brutal penalties, IIRC you can always use extra time (though I'm not sure if that's allowed with time-sensitive stuff like growing an organism) and have assistants perform complimentary skill checks (off the top of my head, Biology, Electronics Operation – Medical, and maybe something like Diagnosis; there's a reason most inventing is done by a team and not some lone dude in a basement) on top of the free +1 for having high-quality assistants with a 20+ in relevant skills.
>>
>>46045462
No idea, I'm sorry. I saw the info in the patch notes but why isn't something I know.

Like they said though, patron or doing the work with other people's money seems the way to do it.

>>46045638
I liked the movie too. As far as GURPS cops, I played a game set in the early 80's Chicago with a group of police going into the worst housing projects and drugs.

Used High Tech, Cops and Tactical Shooting. It was sort of Miami Vice meets Cobra meets (briefly) Falling Down.
>>
Several iterations of this /gen/ ago, some anons showed off their Llulu PoD copies of out of print books. Any of those anons lurking tonight that can give some advice on preparing the PDFs for lulu (adding/deleting pages, etc).
>>
>>46047441
>>46045751
I wish I had a GM like you guys.

;_;
>>
>>46048081
The what?

>>46045462
My group NEVER uses the monetary cost of anything that costs character points on CharGen. If you'd like to keep on doing stuff like this, you'd probably need it... or have some patron or Tenure, so that they pay for your research and experiments.

>>46045638
My favourite game was on Transhuman Space, we were Special Agents of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations stationed on Saturn. Right now, both me and another player are racing to see who can prep a police game in 1930s Shanghai, only difference is that he wants to GM in OTL, I want to GM where Germany won World War 1.

Also, that movie with the bunny cop is out? I literally saw the trailer on the cinema yesterday before deadpool started. I usually hate animations, but the puns and the sloths made me lose my sides.
>>
File: 1427445889020.jpg (528 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1427445889020.jpg
528 KB, 1280x720
I'm the GM of my group and I wanted to branch off from D&D and try to recreate a setting that my players are familiar with and love. To do this I think GURPS is my best bet.
I'm mainly going to be needing the books about WW1 and WW2 era weaponry as well as ultratech.
3rd edition seems to have more books on the subject compared to 4th, but is there a reason to go with 4th instead?
Also, this is probably the most retarded question yet, but is there anything I need to read before I start with the books I'm interested in besides the basic set?
>>
>>46049057
GURPS editions are quite similar, being more slight mechanical revisions a la 3.0->3.5, as opposed to 3.X->4.

3e supplements are reasonably easy to convert, as long as they aren't purely mechanical like Vehicles.
>>
>>46048896
Zooptia is out and pretty good. I'd might have seen it even if I wasn't taking my podling.

What kind of effects would Germany Ascendant have on '30's Shanghai?
>>
>>46049057
You might want to read How to be a GURPS GM and GURPS for Dummies. They should be in the PDF and give a lot of useful information.

I suggest playing 4th. You can use 3rd editon source books, with some conversions, and the changes in the system are good.
>>
>>46049337
>the changes in the system are good.
Is there a list somewhere? I'm can only remember the changes to ability point costs and the removal of PD.
>>
>>46049349
Here's a partial list I turned up..

Fixed cost-per-level for attributes

Fatigue based on Health, and Hit Points based on Strength, and new method to make strength affordable for large critters

Exponential increase in carrying capacity with linear increase in strength stat

Same cost for mental and physical skills

Common mechanic for all talents, and raising DX or IQ just to get a skill bonus is now contra-indicated

Deceptive attack

Better treatment of unbalanced weapons

Passive defense is gone

Control rolls for disads, separate from Will

Consolidation of Basic + Compendium

Adjusted costs for some advantages; Cutting Claws cost 40 points in 3e

Clarified difference between maneuver and technique

Altenate Abilities and Modular Abilities are new

Whole concept of Perks is new, and with Martial Art, Magical Styles, and Power Ups 2, they're a big deal now

Expert skill added, Katana skill removed

Some package-deal advantages broken up, then re-assembled into meta-traits

And of course, shotguns work real differently now.
>>
>>46046796
Hello
>>
>>46049427
I actually liked PD, how do they handle ricochets and ablative armour now?
>>
>>46049542
>Ricochets

Not sure, honestly.

>Ablative armor

DR can have 2 levels of ablative.

Semi-ablative loses 1 Damage Reduction for every 10 points of damage that hits it.

Ablative loses 1 point of DR for every point of damage it stops.

IE: You are hit for 10 damage with 10 ablative DR. You take 0 damage and have DR 0 now

Or you are hit for 10 damage with 10 semi-ablative DR. You take 0 damage and have DR 9 now.
>>
I found a copy of the GURPS Mage the Ascension conversion at my local half price and I was wondering if anyone has the pdf for Pyramid Classic #21. It has an adventure for Mage in it.
>>
I love Sorcery! So here are three acid spells for you. I'm not sure if I built Acid Fog correctly (adding Drifting to Obscure shouldn't be legal mechanically).

Acid Arrow
Keywords: Missile, Obvious.
Full Cost: 16 points for level 1 + 9/additional level.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Projectile) to hit.
Range: 100 yards.
Duration: Instantaneous.

An arrow of acid springs from your hand and speeds to its target. It does 1d impaling damage plus 1d corrosion damage per level. The target can dodge or block the missile.
Statistics: Impaling Attack 1d (Blockable, -5%; Sorcery, -15%) [7] + Corrosion Attack (Magical, -10%; Follow-Up, +0%) [9/level].

Acid Splash
Keywords: Missile, Obvious.
Full Cost: 8 points/level.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Projectile) to hit.
Duration: Instantaneous.

You launch an orb of acid at the target. It does 1d corrosion damage per level. The target can dodge or block the orb.
Statistics: Corrosion Attack (Blockable, -5%; Sorcery, -15%) [8/level].
>>
>>46050385
Acid Fog
Keywords: Area (Leveled).
Full Cost: 39 points for level 1 + 10 points/additional level.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Gaze) to aim.
Duration: 10 seconds.

You may fill a two-yard-radius area with thick acid fog. This gives -5 to all vision rolls made through it. To place fog at a distance, use Innate Attack (Gaze), with normal range penalties, but at +4 for affecting an area. The initial attack roll places the effect. It then drifts from that point with the wind.
The fog deals everything within its area 1d corrosion damage every second.
The basic (39-point) version of this spell covers a two-yard radius. For each additional 10 points, you may double this radius; e.g., four yards for 24 points, 9 yards for 29 points, or 16 yards for 34 points. The GM must determine the maximum level allowed; 128 yards is recommended. You may always choose to affect a lesser area.
Statistics: Obscure Vision 5 (Sorcery, -15%; Ranged, +50%; Variable, Area, +5%; Link, +10%; Drifting, +20%) [17] + Corrosion Attack 1d (Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Magical, -10%; Variable, Area, +5%; Link, +10%; Persistent, +40%; Drifting, +20%) [22]. Further levels add Area Effect (+50%) to both advantages [+10].
>>
File: IM8cl4b.jpg (178 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IM8cl4b.jpg
178 KB, 2048x1536
>>46049128
>varied levels of want .jpg

>>46050225
I don't think so, but you can get it from SJG for 5 bucks.

>>46050392
>>46050385
Nice. Innate Attack (Gaze) is weird for this, I guess because it goes where you look?
>>
>>46050492
>Innate Attack (Gaze) is weird for this, I guess because it goes where you look?
Yes, that's how it works. You aren't throwing a projectile, you just aim it with your eyes. By the way, I messed up some numbers in the radius increase part of Acid Fog - I copied it from Smoke and forgot to change the numbers.
>>
Aid
Keywords: Buff.
Full Cost: 20 points.
Duration: 3 minutes.

You make the subject braver and slightly more resistant to damage.
Statistics: Affliction (Grants Advantage, Aid, +80%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10x, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [20]. “Aid” is Fearlessness 1 (Magical, -10%) [2] + DR 4 (Force Field, +20%; Ablative, -80%; Magical, -10%) [6].

Air Walk
Keywords: Buff.
Full Cost: 31 points.
Duration: 3 minutes.

Air, smoke, and other gases are like solid ground beneath subject’s feet, allowing it to walk up and down “invisible stairs” at its ground Move. This won’t work in a vacuum – there has to be some kind of air present. If the subject gets knocked down or slips, it falls! The subject may attempt one DX roll per second of falling. If it succeeds, it stops in thin air, unharmed. Otherwise, it hits the ground for normal falling damage (see Falling, B431).
Statistics: Affliction (Grants Advantage, Walk on Air, +190%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10x, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [31]. “Walk on Air” is Walk on Air (Magical, -10%) [19].
>>
I am designing a zombie apocalypse board game at the moment and it leans a lot on GURPS.

One player is the "bad guy". The right hand of the Archdemon of Punishment and his job is to destroy all human life within [time] or his master will be very angry and snuff him out. The other players are the survivors/resistance of the infernal calamity that has befallen the world.

The heroes have the same 4 attributes you have in GURPS. The base is 10 and before the game starts every player rolls a d6 for each attribute:
1 = -2 on that attribute
2 = -1
3 = stays at 10
4 = stays at 10
5 = +1
6 = +2

Then there are also a bunch of trait and skill cards. Some positive, some negative.
Each player draws 2 positive trait cards, 2 negative trait cards, and 2 skill cards.
Positive traits would be something like being able to see better in the dark or being an athlete making you able to move more hexes at once.
Negative traits would be something like nervous hands, giving you -1 on DX stuff for each zombie within 3 hexes of you or old knee injury, reducing your movement.
Skills would be something like leadership. If you have leadership you always go first from the heroes. If you use an action on your leadership skill you can tell the guy in your group who can hack in order access the system and open the garage door so you can escape, and if he attempts it this round he gets a small bonus for his roll.
Another skill would be first aid, or lockpicking

There are a bunch of each and each game is different because you get 2 of each at random at the beginning. During the game you collect experience and can "spend" it to level up certain skills or traits or attributes.

The bad guy commands the zombies and other infernal monsters like banshees and Jason Voorhees lookalikes and hell spiders etc. He also gets to play cards against the heroes like Inflict Terror where the hero has to roll against will.

It's like the board game Last Night on Earth but with much more variety.
>>
>>46050492
>you can get it from SJG for 5 bucks.
I'll go that route, thanks.
>>
>>46049427
Another thing to add to the list is powers, such as psi powers, are no longer simply spells by another name.
>>
>>46049128
Mostly, Britain's fall, the Chinese Civil War, and a stronger Germany would make the Treaty Ports semi-independent, under International Legation. So while China is going to hell, the Legation Cities would be a bastion of order... in theory. But it would just be a port of crime, with the triads moving there, the Yakuza encroaching, and huge amounts of refugees coming in. I'm basing on the 'Kaiserreich' mod for Hearts of Iron.

>>46050225
You can play Mage the Ascencion/Awakening easily with Ritual Path Magic on the 4th. It fixes a lot of weird shit the 3e book has.
>>
>>46055781
I've never read any Of the magic books for gurps I just have the basic set and some sci-fI slats from 3e. All I was interested in was the Spheres and how they can be used to define different spells but without making spells individual skills specifically. Is ritual pass still something I'd want to consider? Because I'm not doing this for a campaign or anything I was just shopping around looking for ideas and I remember buying the first edition made book about two years ago with someone wanting to run it but my God does white wolf not know how to layout a book.
>>
>>46057336
Yes. Ritual is based on 10 Paths (would you look at that, same number as spheres!), where every mage can craft his spell as needed. There is no Spell List, you create the spell you need for the moment you need. I Played a GURPS Mage the Ascencion using Ritual Path Magic, and it was AWESOME. Seriously, read this book.
>>
>>46057505
>There are no spells

Because there is a bit of ambiguity to effects and it can be hard to calculate cost on the fly you will want to figure out the effects you want and write up spells you plan to use often ahead of time.

Not to mention conditional magic and charms will always be done ahead of time.
>>
>>46057687
There's a link... somewhere, that calculates Energy cost. So you just type what you want, and there ya go, there's the coast. Technology is wonderful.
>>
>>46057505
It's 9 spheres if I remember correctly but I will defiNutley give this a read.
>>
Any of you guys know any non-Starships or ISW starship rules?
>>
File: 1448134476587.png (75 KB, 218x185) Image search: [Google]
1448134476587.png
75 KB, 218x185
How would i make it so that my character becomes catatonic when he activates his Regrowth?

Not that i stack limitations like a shitlord
>>
>>46059709
Backlash. Power Ups 8 - Limitations, page 11.
> e your ability. Choose these from among Attribute Penalty, Incapacitation, Irritant, and Stunning, as defined for Affliction (p. B35). If you succumb for a minute (a second, for Stunning), and can roll against HT once per minute (second) after that to recover, apply a limitation equal in size to the equivalent enhancements. If you get a HT roll to resist, and the effects last for minutes (seconds) equal to your margin of failure, halve this. For instance, Nauseated is worth +30% on Affliction, so nausea is worth -30% if automatic or -15% if resistible.
>>
>>46059806
Thanks, but if i were to take Paralysis, for example, wouldn't the -150% modifier be a *bit* OP?
>>
>>46060034
Remember that the limit is -80%. So, technically, it would be shit, because you get rekt, but don't get nearly enough for it. Unless you also stack enhancements like a tumblr-user stacks prejudices.
>>
>>46060034
>>46060202
Could go for a less debilitating penalty or give a HT roll to resist, noting that normally you don't bother trying to resist and just go into a healing coma.
>>
>>46060889
This. Stay away from Choking tho, that shit will fucking kill you if duration is over 30 sec.
>>46057733
http://gurps-monsterhunters.appspot.com/#RpmPlace:Design
>>
File: 1446403923737.jpg (284 KB, 742x1000) Image search: [Google]
1446403923737.jpg
284 KB, 742x1000
>>46045462
>Dodge 7
>TL 9 weapons.

Don't be in a situation where you might get shot at.
>>
In After the End if you have the points is it better to go for the Mutated or the Fast lenses? They look really good.

I am a Hulk if it matters. Fast+ Hulk sounds awesome but IDK.
>>
What are some good Standard Operating Procedure perks? I like "Checks the ceiling when entering a room".
>>
>>46068274
>Reload after a fight and top off magazines
>Keep gas tank full, oil, radiator and tires checked.
>Always know the exits of a building
>>
>>46068274
Always keep your equipment all packed and ready in travel bag.
>>
>>46068555
>>46068527
You could go full Jack Reacher, a book series about a straight up murder hobo.
>>
Does anyone have the After the End books? I can't seem to find a download anywhere.
>>
So I've never GMed GURPS before but I'm going to pretty soon and I'm wondering how people make NPCs. Mooks, especially.

The power level of the campaign is 150 with 75 disads, so say I want to have a firefight with the 4 man party and something like 8 mooks, what is a balanced CP value for those mooks, or is balancing them more about skill caps?
>>
File: GURPS After the End 1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS After the End 1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46069254
After the End 1 is the one that is out so far. It only came out recently.

I don't normally, but if you like it think about buying it. It really will help spur them to make more.

>>46069270
Balance by skill caps, not by CP. CP is used to build PCs, but should be ignored for NPCs.

Instead, for 2 to 1 odds go for weapons that can damage the PCs but aren't super effective (like .38 revolvers) and light or no armor, maybe even arm a few with knives or baseball bats instead.
>>
>>46069318
Thanks anon. I'm working on GMing my first GURPS game as a Fallout campaign in Tabletop Simulator. Still trying to learn the system.
>>
>>46069338
>Tabletop Simulator
Don't use this, it is a big headache for everyone involved. Just use Roll20 or Maptools.
>>
>>46045462
you probably should get mathematics

and for god's sake, do something with dodge
>>
File: GURPS 4e - Combat Cards.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS 4e - Combat Cards.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46069338
No problem, After the End is pretty awesome so far and great for a fallout game, though by default it makes energy weapons pretty far out there for starting characters (IIRC, a laser pistol is in the 6 figures).
>>
>>46069354
Being able to see the encounters and areas is the only way I'm able to get my friends to play a tabletop online. Roll20 is too disengaging for my friends
>>
>>46069378
Sorry, what?
>>
>>46069355
I have Mathematics (Applied) at 12, as for dodge, I just don't see it being viable to invest points in it. My strategy for combat is to stay far away and be in cover.
>>
>>46069498
no 3D model of the area they are in, no real dice, everything is text-based or voice chat
>>
>>46069378
Sounds like your friends aren't suited to roleplaying games, then.
>>
>>46069517
They get really excited to play and then get bored after the first session and never want to continue. Being able to move around little figurines keeps them engaged.
>>
>>46069507
Get smoke. A few grenades can break line of sight and let you avoid getting shot at all.
>>
>>46069338
Get How to be a GURPS GM and read it. If you can't find it in the archive, just ask.
>>
Are there any custom Codes of Honor out there?
I was designing my own and I was curious if anyone did anything similar.
>>
Which subsystem(s) of GURPS do you either houserule heavily or do away with entirely?

Myself, I find the climbing rules to be rather lackluster. As a result, I seek alternative mechanics when a climbing sequence is the focus of a scene.
>>
File: tumblr_nv648lTdE91uy0xano1_500.jpg (46 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv648lTdE91uy0xano1_500.jpg
46 KB, 500x750
>>46070772

Code of Honor (Lycanthrope) (-10 points)
>Respect elders
>Defend those under you and your territory
>You are responsible for anyone you bring into the dark world
>Revealing your nature counts as bringing a human into the dark world
>Disputes between lycanthropes are settled in single combat
>Obey anyone you've named as your Alpha.

Code of Honor (Vampire Covenant) (-10 points)
>Do not reveal your nature
>Destroy or discredit any evidence of vampires
>Create no vampires
>Do not kill a vampire bound by the covenant, or arrange for one to be killed
>Respect the sanctity of hollowed ground
>>
>>46070842
Spaceship combat, because fuck losing a ship that the party worked for over the course of more than a year to a single roll.
>>
>>46070842
Vehicular combat. I always just go to simplified things for chase scenes and fights between boats

Mounted combat too, kinda.. I encourage everyone to more or less go dragoon.
>>
Does someone have whfb ogres stated?
>>
How do you stat John Doe?
>>
>>46072360
Zeroed, and no disadvantages.
>http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=44499
>>
>>46070842
Stealth.

I'm running an MGS game (hi players who are inevitably ITT), and RAW is vague and useless.

Made a homebrewed turnbased stealth system.
>>
>>46072553
Posted that anywhere?
>>
Anyone here know how to stat a ranged grapple, like Scorpion's rope hook thingy from Mortal Kombat? I'm guessing Innate Attack with a Follow-Up Binding, but what would I do if I wanted to do ranged throws on them using the line as leverage, such as bringing the target over my head and slamming them into the ground for extra damage? How would that be statted?
>>
>>46073214
Harpoon
>>
>>46073214
Either Tekekinesis limited to no direct damage TK punches or TK lifting yourself, or an Extra Arm with the Projection enhancement. I'm away from my books at the moment, so I can't give you much more than that.
>>
>>46073214
How martial arts throws work is by using leverage and momentum instead of brute force. What you are describing is pure brute force, the line doesn't provide any leverage at all. So, you'd have to be strong enough to throw them, you can ignore having a line between you them, the rules don't change. If you are strong enough to throw them double the length of your line then when they pass over your head and get to the end of the line opposite you from where they started you would use Grab and Smash from Martial Arts to introduce them to the ground.

That's how it works by RAW anyway. To make it affordable you can add enough Striking ST limited down to boosting throwing for this one trick only (should be at least a -80% discount I'd say). If you get total ST 50 you can throw a 250 lb man 40 yards this way. If your IA has range 20 or less you're golden.

Or you add a whole bunch of knockback with a knock-forward enhancement and use the crashing into things rules from knockback.
>>
>>46073214
I statted out a version here that some people liked for 28 points that is based on afflicting a target with warp. It's weakness is that it is pretty easy to resist though.

http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/01/power-scorpion-spear.html

Also besides that, I made a post on a topic I had the other day, and the guy who wrote RPM liked it. :3 I feel so special when the real writers say nice things about what I say.

http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/03/combination-attacks-reverse-engineering.html
>>
In a couple of days I'm gonna host a session, the setting is an atomic-punk/fantasy kind, but strangely even with my ow setting I don't feel any drive or ideas on the session itself. Can anyone give me some ideas for plot hooks?
>>
>>46072553
>>46072799
I too would like to know more.
>>
>>46072553
Me three.
>>
File: image.jpg (183 KB, 1600x853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183 KB, 1600x853
What armor would you guys say Colonial Marines wear? Reflex? Clamshell?
>>
>>46070842
Honestly? Combat turns. My players already prefer combat-lite campaigns, and the "one-second turn" rule gets in the way of thay too much, so I use the cinematic chase rules from Action and say one combat turn is "enough to do something cool".
>>
>>46075831
>Monday
I don't know why I'm laughing.
>>
>>46073815
By atomic punk fantasy do you mean Fallout, or Tomarrowland?

Plot Hook 1) Someone that once stole something from each of the PC's is holding up in an abandoned building after having stolen something valuable from very bad people. Can you beat the Warboys, Neo-neo-Nazis or Mormons to him and get what you are owed? Will you fight to protect someone that once ripped you off? Will he outsmart you and escape, giving you back what he stole from you with a smile as payment for your help?

Plot Hook 2) A killer stalks the city, hunting people just like one of the player characters. A reward is offered. You have the perfect bait.
>>
>>46075831

Light clamshell torso and greaves, reflex for the rest.
>>
Yiffing bump.
>>
>>46079421
Who's playin' snek right there?
>>
>>46080126
wat
>>
Can someone help explain how a shotgun works?
>>
>>46080887
Depends on the ammo you use. Usually, it's RoF is, like 3x9. Meaning each shot is made of 9 shots. So, if you did shoot all the three, you'd be actually shooting 27 shots. That's why it has low damage and REALLY low Rcl.
>>
>>46081121
So for damage do I roll for each individual one and then add the modifier and subtract the DR, or do it as a lump sum?
>>
>>46081153
I'd say each individual shot (of the 27, for instance) would be rolled individually. So DR is applied on every shot.
>>
Shame that ATE 2 isn't out yet, but this looks interesting.
>>
>>46081256
This is new? I've never seen it before.
>>
>>46081153
First of all, check the rapid fire rules to see what bonus to hit you get and how many of the pellets hit (Basic Set p. 373)

Roll damage and apply all modifiers for each pellet individually. The exception to this is point blank shots, which have special rules (Basic Set, p. 409).
>>
>>46081276

Just released today.
>>
>>46081337
Marvelous. Can you put it in the Archive for us?
>>
>>46081362
Already there.
>>
>>46081407
I love you, anon.
>>
File: GirlGeniusRubiksCube_4968.jpg (60 KB, 230x344) Image search: [Google]
GirlGeniusRubiksCube_4968.jpg
60 KB, 230x344
>>46081256
And it's about goddamn time SJG!

Seriously, though, this is perfect for a GG-like game. I also like it when the Styles system is expanded into other areas like magic and social skills.

I wonder if this is sort of a prototyping of the rules they'll use in the actual Girl Genius books. That, or maybe they scrapped the project and decided to publish the mechanics they worked out in a setting-agnostic format. Either way, this looks awesome and I can't wait to use it.
>>
>>46081763
I just started playing on a powers campaign. This book is amazing for us. Our GM already blocked a shit-ton of the examples.
>>
File: aw-yisss.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
aw-yisss.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
>>46081256
Amazing. I love weird pulpy powers - and the Noumena power works great for this villain I have who became a partially-enlightened being.
>>
File: 1457232550858.jpg (102 KB, 550x391) Image search: [Google]
1457232550858.jpg
102 KB, 550x391
>>46081256
Holy Fyck that's a fun lookin article

Makes me wanna run a pulp scifi adventure with Sky Captain, Tesla, and giant robots
>>
>>46081256
Oh man that's really fantastic.
>>
GURPS vets. In your experience, what is the difference in play between characters of various point levels?

I'm debating whether to start characters with 100 pts, 125 pts, or 150 pts.

Yes, I know what the book says in terms of what those points mean in terms of overall power, and I know it depends on my setting, but I'm more talking about the differences you've noticed between characters of various point values.
>>
>>46083551
Personally, I dislike anything lower than 150. But depending on the game (my urban fantasy with school kids is 25) it can make sense. My main problem, however, is with disadvantages limit. I usually lock at 50% of the Starting points, or -50, whichever is 'more'.
>>
>>46083551
100 + 25-50 disadvantages and less is the area where optomizers thrive. Lots of system knowledge and an understanding of what gives you the best return on investment for your build is vital. Experienced players tend to be 10's across the board here, as higher attributes are difficult to justify.

Less experienced players can find it hard to build the character they want at this point level, and some archetypes are just very hard to make work.

125 points is an odd number. It feels more like 100 + 25 point disad limit then something I see often. That extra 25 can really help a player that isn't an expert getting what they want. A good choice for a low level game without encouraging ruthless optimization.

150 (+ 30-50 disad). Typical games happen here. An optimizer can make a real monster but it's also possible for just about anyone to make something like the character they wanted.

200 points. A great place, really. Powerful, exotic characters can happen here but you don't have so many points that the characters can't feel challanged and street level. New players that over-invest in one aspect (I want to have 20 ST!) can still make a reasonable character.
>>
File: 1275392219047.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1275392219047.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>46043970
>>46044012
>>46044049
Looks like I got the job
WELP
Time to move to Saturdays if we can...
>>
File: thatssomegoodjoe.jpg (23 KB, 586x548) Image search: [Google]
thatssomegoodjoe.jpg
23 KB, 586x548
>>46083577
>>46083879

This is very helpful, thanks. I wanted the characters to be relatively low-power in this world, and I was thinking 125 would be a good point value, but was wondering if those 25 points would actually make a difference.

These thoughts were spurred as I was making 100pt chracter sheets for NPCs and noticing that even with 100 points, which supposedly makes for a clearly above-average person, I was having trouble affording all the things I wanted on them.

"Well, he needs to be handsome, because he's going to attract the attention of this wench. Ouch, those 8 points hurt. . ."
>>
>>46085169
The extra 25 points give enough for more iq or some nice advantages like extra attack or luck. It depends on the player.

A basic npc may be just 50 points, but I dont know what you are going for.
>>
>>46085169
Don't build NPCs on points, bro. Give them skill levels and advantages at your leisure.
>>
>>46081256

You're a saint, anon.
>>
>>46081763

The Girl Genius problem is that the Foglios are supposed to be writing it, and have been supposed to be writing it for a decade or so.

Which is pretty irritating, as it'd be a great supplement for GURPS, and it'd almost certainly be popular enough to make money.
>>
>>46085169
If you want to cap people to low power I'd suggest limiting them to putting 12 points into any one skill, and capping IQ and DX at 13.

This allows you to give them a generous pile of points to build and customize characters while encouraging them to make them diverse. With those limits you can know that they will mostly have ~15, and even with Easy skills max at 18 for things not covered by a talent.
>>
>>46083551

100 p: Decent at a lot of things.
150 p: Decent at a lot of things, good at one thing.
250 p: Good at a lot of things, great at one thing.

That's roughly what I've gathered from my games
>>
>>46088226

This severely and unnecessarily cripples a lot of character concepts (The grizzled veteran, any sniper worth his salts, etc.) and leaves a LOT of openings for non-skill based progression that are potentially far more powerful than skill levels would be.

Select talents can give up to +4 to specific weapon skills, (Halfling Markmanship, Mr. Smash, Pickaxe Penchant, etc.)
Extra Attack gives you extra attacks (duh...), which is a HUGE deal if skill level is capped, it's roughly comparable to Rapid Strike.

No, I'm hard pressed to even to even suggest your "solution" as a rough guideline.
>>
>>46089742
If your GM is capping skill levels you aren't going to be buying Extra Attack, and I wouldn't get my hopes up for any talents that add to weapon skills.

In some ways it's easier to build a grizzled veteran by spreading points around to several skills rather then dumping a third of your points into one skill and snipers aren't just long ranged marksmen.
>>
>>46089852
>If your GM is capping skill levels you aren't going to be buying Extra Attack
Exactly, if you're capping skills and attributes, you simply MUST provide a cap on advantages like extra attack and weapon master as well, otherwise it won't work.

>In some ways it's easier to build a grizzled veteran by spreading points around
But in a lot of ways, it's not.
>>
>>46089890
>>In some ways it's easier to build a grizzled veteran by spreading points around
>But in a lot of ways, it's not.

Sorry, I should have said "a grizzled veteran that isn't an autistic monomaniac"

Spreading points around to savoir fare (military), Solider/TL, hand to hand, survival and observation skills along with shoot stuff gives you a character that looks more like a veteran then a guy with 60 points in Rifle.
>>
>>46089960

Don't be ridiculous, no one has even mentioned ludicrous extremes like 60. Try 16 or 20 on for size.
>>
>>46089986
>20 points in Rifle
Not the Anon you're responding to, but that puts them at Rifle-16 assuming he sticks to a default 10 DX, which probably won't be the case (as the book recommends optimizing attributes, he'll probably have DX 11 at least). In anything that's not high point value and overly cinematic, that's not "grizzled veteran," that's "hyper-competent spec ops marksman."

If you have a player that's dead set on rolling up a sniper/marksman/other concept that warrants Rifle-16+, then he'll need to convince the GM that his character will be mechanically solid, he knows what he's doing, and that he deserves the cap to be waived; players should already be talking with their GM during character creation, but this adds in an extra step. Alternatively, the player can go max DX 13, Rifle (E) DX+4 [12]-17, Weapon Bond, get good gear, and buy up the technique Precision Aiming to still be a decent sniper regardless of the cap (Zen Marksmanship, if allowed, would also be a fine addition).

Honestly, though, nine times out of ten, sniper characters just don't work in RPGs. Due to the close ranges most combat is fought at and that RPGs are at their core a team-based game, Mr. Sharpshooter won't have a chance to ever really capitalize on his ability to take out a lone target undetected from eight city blocks away without requiring special assistance from the GM.
>>
>>46090292
Most 'sniping' in videogames or RPG's is just squad marksman stuff generally. Which works much better most of the time, especially for things involving teams.
>>
>>46043970
>>46084409
We can play weekends brah.

Life happens.
>>
>>46085169
In GURPS, it's not really low CP that makes a game low power. There are some bullshit, exploitative builds that are designed to work with low CP. It's cutting off specific sourcebooks and advantages that keeps the game where you want it. A highly skilled character will still die or be seriously injured if they catch a full AK burst, even with armor.
>>
A link to the archive pretty please?
>>
>>46090669

Check the OP
>>
>>46076074
Fallout, my bad.
>>
>>46090526
Daily reminder that you too can instantly end all life in the known universe for the low, low cost of 53 Character Points.
>>
>>46090292
Grizzled veterans are per definition high point value. If they're not high points within the GURPS system, they're not grizzled veterans.
>>
>>46090734
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>46091710
I thought everyone knew about this one by now.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=239055
>>
>>46091757
>>46091710
>>46090734
The PERFECT example of GM approval of all purchases by players. Just because its in the book doesnt mean its allowed in the game

Also, the math on that for area, based on the enhancement calc being off, is so so wrong.
>>
>>46093158
>Also, the math on that for area, based on the enhancement calc being off, is so so wrong.

Why? and what do you think it should be?
>>
>>46093303
The area formula used is for radio only. I don't know off-hand what the actual area formula is (Area Effect only goes up to 16 yards), different anon and all, but it's FAR from correct, the actual ability would easily be in the thousands of points and is still incredibly resistable.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7 KB, 209x104) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7 KB, 209x104
>>46094367
>(Area Effect only goes up to 16 yards)
No, that's not it.

Read the middle column on p.102 under the blue box (still in Basic Set, part of the same Area Effect entry) and you'll see.
>>
File: Noumena.webm (317 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Noumena.webm
317 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>46095664

Is this Stealth, or is it Invisibility Art?
>>
>>46096069
>>46095664
Huge levels of Stealth, I'd say. Like, Batman-high Stealth.
>>
>>46096385
She just keeps another person between her and the camera. Deliberately avoiding sight-lines is a fairly basic part of stealth.
>>
File: Tsubame gaeshi.gif (2 MB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Tsubame gaeshi.gif
2 MB, 500x282
>>46095664
This was what leapt to mind for Noumena to me.
>>
>>46093158
Innate Attacks are Exotic, so they aren't permitted by default and a player can generally only get them via a racial template or something the GM designed, outside of Supers games.

Even in a supers game, stupid math abuse like that is likely to get rejected fast.
>>
What traits would you use to determine whether or not a Ritual Path Mage has convenient access to a place of power for use as ritual space and, if so, how powerful it should be? I'm sure it depends in large part on how your setting works but still.
>>
>>46098093
A Magic game would support them, too. Magic Missiles ftw.
>>
>>
>>46094519
My bad, looked it up on my phone and didn't see it continued. Still makes the cost huge.
>>
>>46101088

Depends on how you look at it, it's only +4550% to cover 74 gigaparsecs., so as demonstrated you can kill all life in the observable universe with 52 points.
>>
>>46101055
>that file name
I kek'd hard.
>>
>>46091757
Note that if you ever use this you can be instantly killed by anyone with Super Luck that happens to be in the area of effect.
>>
File: Everyonedies_6136.jpg (41 KB, 280x335) Image search: [Google]
Everyonedies_6136.jpg
41 KB, 280x335
>>46102167
You can instantly be killed by a rock falling on your head.
>>
File: 1457564571625.jpg (298 KB, 697x945) Image search: [Google]
1457564571625.jpg
298 KB, 697x945
>>46102469
Or your character could never exist if you're not included in the game!
>>
>>46043554
Just bumping this for my fond memories of GURPS
>>
File: 1454551960826.jpg (88 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
1454551960826.jpg
88 KB, 800x1280
>>46104112
You don't play anymore anon? We could be your gurps group anon.
>>
>>46104112
We can make new sweet, sweet memories, anon.
>>
>>46104696
Would have to remember all the rules, last time I played was around 2005.
>>
Can vehicles Retreat if their reverse-Move is high enough?
>>
File: Chesty-Puller.jpg (10 KB, 220x275) Image search: [Google]
Chesty-Puller.jpg
10 KB, 220x275
>>46105092
You can retreat forward.
>>
>>46105174

Slip/sidestepping (a Retreat option in Martial Arts) is going to be an issue for most conventional vehicles
>>
>>46104696

Who's the squeeze?
>>
>>46105092
Assuming you were moving at speed, and using a map with relative velocities (map moves past all moves at speed, on initiative 0), I could see you throwing a retreat tactical step as part of a move, assuming it was within account for the car, or a successful driving+handling bonus roll
>>
So The Weird includes a list of penalties for trying Weird things with science (Frankensteining a corpse, breaching the 4th dimension, utilizing para-energy, etc.), and I assume those penalties are put towards whatever skill you're gadgeteering with. However, gadgeteering/inventing also comes with a cash cost. Am I missing those?
>>
Just starting with GURPS, what should I get?

I'm not terrible at math if I can put it in a calculator or such, but I'm not *great* at it, and that's the thing that's held me back for so long.
>>
>>46109205
Well, you will have a hard time with GURPS if you cannot solve integral equations.
>>
>>46109329
I've heard that it's not actually that bad, and I have a physics grad student on call.
>>
>>46109205
Ultralight rules.
Light rules.
Basic Set.
Then you may pick additional books for stuff you want, there is nothing mandatory. You may want to pick Low/High/Ultra Tech for more stuff for your TL.
>>
>>46109451
What should I do for modern.

Or, say, an 80's synthwave-inspired but non-cyberpunk cops and robbers in dystopian city campaign set in more or less the modern day but with more neon and nuclear war?
>>
>>46109488
High-Tech will be a good starting point for you for campaign-related books, in that case. Gun Fu if you're more cinematic, Tactical Shooting if you're more operator; both are optional, but I like to include at least one.
>>
>>46109205
The Basic Set. Mostly gurps requires only basic arithmetic, addition, multiplication, division, subtraction, ect.

I'd also suggest downloading Gurps Character Sheet, a program that allows you to build and manage a character.

Low Tech and High Tech are well done, but not vital. Just keep them in mind for later.

>>46109451
Got to say you really don't have to start with ultralight. Light is a great place to start and you don't have to relearn or forget anything from it when you move on to the full rules.

Speaking of rules, don't feel like you need to use all of them. Just use what your game needs and learn as you play.
>>
>>46109488
Also, high-tech is a bit of clusterfuck in terms of how they made weapon tables/description.
And you'd better not mix these weapons with ones from basic set, because there are some weird difference in stats per cost between them.
>>
>>46109488
Basic set is just fine for this, with no extra books.
>>
>>46109515
Do Gun Fu and Tactical Shooting add more play options (rules, mechanics, etc.) or more gear and stuff for the most part? How much of it would my lazy players need to read? I'm marginally /k/, but I'm not planning on combat being a key part of the campaign, and my players typically don't know the difference between a bullet and a round of ammunition.
>>
>>46109537
Bumping again because I'm horrid

Is there a way to filter tech level or other things for items in GCS? It's a little overwhelming to have the whole nine yards.
>>
>>46109738
Both add very limited gear, but way more play options. Gun Fu is built around expanding the Gunslinger advantage from core, and emulates things like John Woo films; it's more of a collection of enhancements to Gunslinger, from what I've read of it. Tactical Shooting is more individual bits; improving the Aim maneuver, stances, some realism, et cetera. Like I said, both are completely optional. Gun Fu streamlines ranged combat a bit, though, so if you want it to be good and fast when it's going, take a look at it.

>>46110005
I don't know if there's a way to filter, but I'm pretty sure you can at least sort by tech level.
>>
>>46110005
You can click the Tech Level button to sort by TL, and use the drop down menu to pick from categories. That should get even huge equipment list like the basic set down to something manageable.

>>46110034
Tactical Shooting is for people that know what 'high ready' is and care. Gun Fu is for people that want to expand action hero shooting, and it dose have some stuff to run faster. You broke it down pretty well.
>>
I am wondering if the below scenario works with a minimum of fuss.

Jake is lying in bed when Kai (who is standing and approaching from the side) ambushes him.

Jake makes his Perception/Danger Sense roll in time and turns while lying down to make a successful Active Defense roll against Kai reverse thrust dagger attack. Jake then uses his legs (see Martial Arts) to target Kai's dagger arm with a leg-based lock in order to control it.

Kai decides to spend his next turn drawing a rather imposing Bowie knife with his other hand. Jake follows up by using both of his own hands to hold back Kai's next knife arm.

In GURPS, is this possible? Can you keep two (legs plus arms) or even three (legs plus each individual arm) distinct grapples going at the same time?
>>
>>46109205
If you can handle arithmetic you'll be fine (12x12 /5 or 17 /2 +3) is about as hard as it gets for the important things (like you don't really need to calculate how many ounces of explosive it takes to blow up a car very often and you can just wing it and guess most of the time).

I have a functional illiterate in my group that has trouble with adding the pips on the dice together and he does fine (with some extra help from the GM during character creation and with in-game modifiers).

Nasty, scary math has always been optional and most of the places it shows up in 4e is "this is how we figured the table you're using to look this thing up. If you need to extend the table because your value is too high this is how."
>>
>>46110740
As far as I know, yes. I think you can in the default version of the rules, but I know you can under Technical Grappling. The only difficulty would be in tracking multiple separate control point totals.
>>
Anyone feel like rolling up an alternate timeline using Infinite Worlds?
>>
File: shitposting lazily.jpg (79 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
shitposting lazily.jpg
79 KB, 620x387
Where's Vehicular Anon?
>>
File: 1276525565329.jpg (696 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1276525565329.jpg
696 KB, 1440x900
>>46084409

MOTHERFUGGERS
Where you all at?! Why my frantic reschedule no work?
>>
>>46111738

I'm not a fan of Technical Grappling ("works with a minimum of fuss" involves using rules beyond that which is absolutely necessary...Martial Arts, in this case).
>>
I'm a little lost as the extent of Demiurgy (The Weird 33). It reads like you can make or do literally anything as long as you succeed on an IQ/Dreaming-4 roll (hell, the example includes stopping the goddamn sun from moving). For 125 points, that seems insane. It's Snatcher, Serendipity, Control (Everything), Cosmic Innate Attack, and Healing all in one.
>>
To be sure I understand, the basic healing potion from Magic under Alchemy takes 1 week of shop-work to make?

Not very handy option for healing for a group of travelling, TL3 fantasy adventurers.
>>
>>46116959
I use the slimmed down version of TG; no mass-based modifiers (unless it's necessary, like someone trying to suplex a titan, and even then I handwaive it), "quick and dirty" control points, and simple referred control with half the penalty applied to adjacent locations. In my opinion, it's more detailed that the default system without adding much complexity, giving you all the cool details and letting you pull off insane moves without having you juggle the collection of outlier grappling situations Martial Arts introduces.

Still though, if you don't want to use TG, you don't have to use it. Looking at BS, I think you can pull this off with that alone. Each limb is grappled independently and has -4 to the limb's DX, so the target would need at least two attacks to try and break free (probably AOA: Double). You do need pic related from Martial Arts, though; because legs are stronger than arms on average but lack manipulators, using legs to grapple means -2 skill but +2 ST. Jake should also buy up Ground Fighting if he wants to do well while laying down.
>>
>>46116990
On a second (more careful) reading, I think i've found the weakness. Any observer gets a resistance roll, and because it's not a quick contest and you can't give the resistance roll a penalty, even an single Will 10 mook has a 50% chance of shutting down this ability just by being in the room when you use it. I initially thought that it was a quick contest (so high IQ/Dreaming PCs are essentially unstoppable gods), but since it's a flat resistance roll, Demiurge gets knocked down from "OP AF NERF NOW PLZ" to "Very Powerful."
>>
>>46117220

It was a deliberate design choice, so that healing potions have to be bought or made ahead of time in town. It makes players have to consider how they manage their resources.
>>
>>46116456
Have you ever tried playing online? Like, roll20 or something? In Brazil we have a program just for that.
>>
File: pipe_smoking_dragon.jpg (596 KB, 955x992) Image search: [Google]
pipe_smoking_dragon.jpg
596 KB, 955x992
Okay, so, I'm thinking of running a GURPS game set in a world I've been building in my head for years, against my better judgement.

The problems inherent in this are obvious: the players will probably not be invested in the setting, and probably won't be interested enough in the setting to give a shit about all the little details, like how there are 4 months to a season, how there is technically no aristocracy despite it being a TL4 setting, etc.

I've come up with several ways to resolve the issues that'll come up with this, but I'd like your guys' opinions on them.

1.) In order to build interest in the setting, I will basically not make the players actually learn anything about the setting other than what is strictly necessary to make decisions. For example, if their character would know what to do in the situation, but the player doesn't, I'll just tell them what their character knows. If the player wants to do something that technically can't be done, I'll "translate" their actions into their equivilant (i.e., the player wants their character to find the local noble and gain their favor, so I'll point them to the nearest government official's office).

2.) I will start off the game with a brief, actiony exposition, and start off in media res with a scenario right off the bat, to get people engaged.

3.) I will make like a JRPG and pepper the PC's travels with strange and wonderful NPCs that build upon the world without shoving it down the player's throats, so they can become more engaged with the story, setting, and of course have more fun with their adventures.

Thoughts on these? Got any more tips?

Pic related, it's sort of how I imagine the dragons in my setting.
>>
>>46119382
If you have to ask...

Nice bara magical realm dragon btw
>>
>>46119382
You could just write a summary of it. Like, only the real basic stuff (like how there's no Aristocracy). And, personally, I dislike JRPG - too railroaded - but if your players are cool with it, best of luck, dude. Do tell us the story of the game after. I like AAR.
>>
>>46119382
Quick point, but TL 4 is the age of revolutions (at least mid-late) so it makes reasonable sense for an area to be without nobility.
>>
>>46120690
Only the Glorious Revolution was TL 4. French and American were early TL 5. But we had the Roman Empire, with no 'aristocracy' at TL 2. It isn't hard to imagine a setting that evolved from a Republic or a Bureaucratic Empire.
>>
>>46120750
Yeah, kind of. You can say that 1730 was the start of the industrial age, but before 1800 it wasn't the truth anywhere outside London.
>>
>>46120690

I just meant that since there's swords 'n shit, whoever my players end up being will probably assume there's aristocrats, or any number of other things based on the renaissance.
>>
>>46120893
Maybe when they think renaissance they think Medici and Firenze.
>>
File: 1457381794395.jpg (34 KB, 638x877) Image search: [Google]
1457381794395.jpg
34 KB, 638x877
>>46119382
Just because your game is TL4 doesn't require it to be run by aristocrats. Give your players the benefit of the doubt, and assume they aren't retarded. Give them a setting overview, lay out the basics of the world for them, and run your game. Don't be pretentious.
>>
File: 1395439728993.jpg (185 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
1395439728993.jpg
185 KB, 1920x1040
Would you guys say the Starship Troopers film universe is TL9 with FTL superscience?
>>
File: 1274820901964.jpg (142 KB, 640x576) Image search: [Google]
1274820901964.jpg
142 KB, 640x576
>>46121116
Yeah, tl9 fits. About a day in the future. They relied on in person low gear infantry, hard mechanics on their sights and armor. Other than bio vat style healing and ftl they're pretty tl9. Also a 90s retro scifi version of it.
>>
>>46119382
Show don't tell
>>
>>46117452

Is the knife guy going to be penalized with any attack rolls based around a kick, whether his target is on a higher platform (such as a bed) or not?
>>
>>46121229
Close combat only, so the reach c knife should be fine.
Maybe -1 for bad footing/trapped in one grapple?
>>
File: 1378602113683.jpg (2 MB, 1780x1174) Image search: [Google]
1378602113683.jpg
2 MB, 1780x1174
>>46121176
>Also a 90s retro scifi version of it.

Which I find more enjoyable really.

Working out the assault ship is a pain though, its supposedly 550 metres long and half a million tons which is firmly SM+13. But it only has 18 small dropships with a total capacity of 720 men. Makes you wonder what the rest of the ship is since a single hangar and habitat system can hold that four times over with room to spare.
>>
>>46119382
If they don't give a shit, they don't give a shit. If they're happy let it be.

If it's because you don't express it well so they're overwhelmed with details they'll rebel against the details.

>>46121205
QFT. So. Much. This.

I'm not much of a fan of John Wick but this bit in the Blood & Honor GM section really resonated with me:

“Our characters have deep secrets.” [you can replace 'characters' with 'world']
“Yeah,” I said.
“That nobody knows but us.” [and 'us' with 'me']

Any secret details should be ruthlessly discarded. If you won't discard them then some player has to know them. The single biggest world background tip I've ever come across.
>>
Granted By Familiar is a -40% limitation on advantages a character has that require the Ally to be available and nearby.

Would the reverse be true? Could you buy Advantages on your Ally that are "Granted By PC" and only work with them around? Would it be worth less than the -40%?
>>
>>46122661

But this is what I'm already doing with 1, I'm just discarding details that aren't necessary to the game. Show don't tell is repeated in literally every worldbuilding critique when it comes to story, it's about the millionth time I've heard it. Stop acting like you're saying something profound with it.
>>
>>46123135
I don't see why not. My blood mage had a flying ball of blood falling around that gave me extra HP (Only For Spells -10%, Granted By Familar -40%, Drains Familiar -40%). I can't see why she [the ball] could not have, I dunno, 'Language Granted by Master'.
>>
>>46123196
>>46123358
Thinking more about it, would be great for players that have Special Rapport to buy each other's Advantages with 'Granted By Friend'. lel
Imagine the possibilities.
>>
>>46123196
Go fuck yourself.

You asked and then shoot down a friendly reply with know-it-all bullshit? I now see why your players are so engaged with your game.
>>
>>46123358
Thanks.

Adding an extra -10% on top of "Granted By Familiar" for "Requires Contact" seems reasonable to folks?
>>
>>46121655
You can knock down the size, or give them a undersized hab area and hanger, then devote lots of the extra space to armor and fuel.
>>
>>46123552
-30%. Like 'Melee C' or 'Contact Agent'.
>>
>>46121655
>>46123627
When it comes to huge ships, I always dowsize once - or thrice - their systems. My SM 12 Battlecruisers have a shittton on SM 10 or SM 9 systems.
>>
>>46121655
I'm not overly familiar with the Starship Troopers setting, but if the assault ship was designed to handle deep engagement away from supply lines (or built for a worst-case-scenario where it's stranded for a long long time), the extra space could be used as storage for extra fuel, ammunition, and, of course, supplies for the soldiers themselves.

>>46123135
I'd say worth less than 40% if allowed at all. "Granted by Familiar" is worth -40% because it's reasonable to assume there'll be times where the familiar isn't nearby, but the PC will still have to contribute to the adventure ("No Hieronymus, you can't 'sit this one out' because your owl Archimedes is under the weather"). The Ally being separate from the PC but still contributing to the adventurer is a much rarer scenario; either the two are separate because the Ally isn't there/contributing (so the point is moot), or the PC sent their familiar off on a scouting or other sort of distant mission. I'd drop "Granted By Master" to -10% or even -5%; the times that limitation will actually be limiting is pretty rare IMO.
>>
>>46123552
I'd only allow it on a familiar that is SM-1 or larger. Anything smaller or implanted and physical contact is trivial and you can keep the familiar in your clothes/pocket.

If your familiar is the size of an antioch then it's awkward enough to keep in constant contact that it seems okay.
>>
File: sorry_bro.jpg (122 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sorry_bro.jpg
122 KB, 1920x1080
>>46123499

I don't have players, I just started thinking about hosting the game. And it wasn't a friendly response, it was pretty pretentious. Show don't tell is something they literally taught me in grade school English.

I'm not trying to be insulting honestly, it's more just being tired with hearing that. I was hoping for more in-depth advice, which is why I spent a couple paragraphs explaining exactly what I was doing: so people would know that I am already aware of the most common advice to this conundrum.
>>
>>46123749
>>46123712

I'm going for a "shared soul" think, so they have a few little perks when touching, like when napping together.
>>
>>46124249
>is a pretentious fuck
>complains about pretentious responses to his retarded noob questions
>>
>>46123627
>>46123693
>>46123712
The ship is cool but the tactics used in the movie are retarded so I decided to tinker a bit. It does not have much armour or heavy armament of its own because the Federation is only fighting rebels and space bugs. The stardrive makes cross galactic journeys fairly fast as well so its not hugely worried about stranding.

I just decided to ignore the engine boom in the length of the ship, make it a very elongated SM+12 then replace boxes full of guys with assault shuttles for the space equivalent of a mechanised infantry battalion.

3 hangars, a habitat then a cargo bay for supplies/spare drop ships lets it fit the whole thing easily enough with plenty of space left over for actual ship stuff.
>>
File: 1271958970770.jpg (45 KB, 520x437) Image search: [Google]
1271958970770.jpg
45 KB, 520x437
>>46124600
>tactics used in the movie are retarded
They're supposedly intentionally retarded; you can't have an attrition heavy war that self perpetuates unless you use poor tactical decisions to make it casual heavy.

Arguably, any universe with FTL drives doesn't need foot soldiers. Shoot an asteroid at anything near light speed or more and you're guaranteed a kill on the planetary scale.

If you're bombarding planets from space, just drop rocks on your targets. No fallout and no survivors, and near zero costs.

If GOD FORBID you send in invasion troops? Mechanise them and provide overwhelming fire support.
>>
File: 1385861924298.jpg (289 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1385861924298.jpg
289 KB, 1920x1080
>>46124780
But that assumes you just want to wipe things out, when they are not fighting bugs the Federation is keeping its colonies in line. Also that assumes real space FTL which most universe's avoid for various reasons.

You are right though, its stupid on purpose in the film. On another note, working this out makes me feel bad for the tank, to bring one along means sacrificing two or three squads of men in IFV's and you now need a special SM+8 heavy lander for a 60-70 ton tank. So its probably easier to leave them at home.
>>
>>46120952

That's true. Hopefully the players will see what I'm going for.
>>
>>46124273
Yeah. Let's not feed the troll any more. He can fuck off and we should stop derailing the thread.

I do apologize for being pretentious it wasn't my intent. And, with that, let's all just let the matter drop.
>>
>>46124780
Capturing an accelerating rocks is super expensive. If you have point-to-point FTL that doesn't allow you to accelerate endlessly (most proposals, in fact) then you don't have limitless energy to use.

In general you'd be better off using a laser or particle beam. Atmospheric attenuation is a problem, but still easier then doing heavy asteroid mining work. A jet of copper plasma accelerated to a significant fraction of lightspeed in a railgun also has the advantage of being fucking awesome.

>>46124939
.. And yeah, they address this in the book and even the movie. MI captures territory you don't want to bombard. The fleet hits any major identifiable military targets and troop concentrations, it's why the MI can operate.

>>46124249
People get tichy around here. Don't let it under your skin.
>>
>>46124448

I'm sorry man, I'm not trying to be insulting, I've just heard 'Show don't tell' alot, and I guess now the question is "how?"
>>
File: well_shucks.jpg (61 KB, 480x472) Image search: [Google]
well_shucks.jpg
61 KB, 480x472
>>46125905

> People get tichy around here. Don't let it under your skin.

Aye. Well, either way, if I haven't given a bad impression of myself right off the bat, would anyone be interested in this game? I plan on running it over roll20, and y'all seem like a knowledgeable bunch. This would be my first time GMing GURPS, so a vet in the group who could help out would be appreciated.
>>
File: yeah nah youre a cunt.jpg (29 KB, 344x291) Image search: [Google]
yeah nah youre a cunt.jpg
29 KB, 344x291
>>46125947
>I'm not trying to be insulting
>Stop acting like you're saying something profound with it.
>>
>>46126095
Sure, drop a link.
>>
>>46119382
Dump the exposition on your prospective players before they get approval to make characters. You don't need to tailor your efforts to their expectations, you're the GM it works the other way around. Players are a dime a dozen, you can find replacements easily, so weed out the dullards and select the people who seem interested in playing.
>>
>>46127358
Come on, think of exposition heavy, detailed settings you like.

They don't start with HERE IS A TEXTBOOK ON THE SETTING

They start with "holy shit, here's an adventure! There's stuff going on! Do you want to know what the fuck that thing was? That guy is mysterous in all black armor!"
>>
>>46126095

The typical way to introduce a setting is to give a taste of what a normal day is like, while forshadowing a bit, then have a call to adventure that breaks the routine.

The character's regular routine and the choices you have them make can inform them a lot about the setting.

IE: "You've collected a lot of good scrap today, at least twenty meters of copper wire and a few working light bulbs, along with a beautiful red silk rose.

So you are in a good mood when you reach the trader. He looks tense, distracted as he cashes you out and you have to remind him about the light bulbs twice, even though he'd normally be happy to see them. Do you want to take your money for the day and leave him alone or ask him what's wrong?"

Or the fake out false climax, like a local martial arts contest that the players can work on that gets interrupted by an attack.
>>
>>46128141
>>46127941

Now that's what I'm talking about yo, I'm taking notes.

>>46126762

I apologize man, lets let it be.
>>
>>46126814

I was hoping to gather interest before I started up the roll20 group. I'll need to write up quite a bit of stuff before I open it for business, like what equipment is allowed, custom skills, basic info on the setting, all that good stuff. But sooner's better than later.

Will post here when it's done.
>>
File: valley of diamonds.jpg (155 KB, 591x431) Image search: [Google]
valley of diamonds.jpg
155 KB, 591x431
What would spidey sense be in GURPS?
>>
>>46129753
Danger Sense?
>>
File: lamarr.jpg (337 KB, 1484x1525) Image search: [Google]
lamarr.jpg
337 KB, 1484x1525
>>46129753
>>46129828

Maybe a mix of danger sense and limited precognition? Depends on the writer, but it's a very versatile power.
>>
>>46130189
Seeing as Danger Sense is already a limited precognition, I don't see the issue of just using that. As far as I know, it's basically Spidy's anti-blindside power; whether it's an invisible assailant, an attack from behind in an all-out fight, or a truck careening around the corner and into him, he always gets an active defense roll. Either Parker has high Per to go with his high IQ or Danger Sense would be bought with multiple levels of the Reliable enhancement.

Admittedly, though, I'm not a huge Spiderman fan, so there're probably other applications of Spider Sense that I don't know about, especially in campy older works. For "standard"/modern Spiderman canon, however, I feel a reliable Danger Sense is enough.
>>
File: tumblr_m6d904zT3n1qb1b7wo1_500.jpg (129 KB, 500x591) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6d904zT3n1qb1b7wo1_500.jpg
129 KB, 500x591
>>46130403
It depends on the writer, yeah, and got campy in places.

Pretty much always he can, however..

1) Sense danger. Like you said.

2) Navigate without sight. Part of the reason he can swing around Manhattan at 120+ miles an hour in the middle of a dark and stormy night.

3) Sense when someone can see him. He can tell if he's alone when changing costume.

It's not perfectly reliable though. Venom is adapted to it and doesn't trigger it, and it won't warn him about people that he likes and trust seeing him, even if he's about to change costume (Aunt May or MJ can catch him naked). It can go off with people that he doesn't have any reason to suspect are a threat, though. Osborn triggered it even before he knew he was the green goblin.. but peter ignored it, thinking it was just acting up.
>>
>>46130636
Hrmm... technically #2 can still be a part of Danger Sense, as the wording for the advantage is "you get enough of a warning that you can take action," which would likely include changing your course. I wonder if you can apply something like Detect's Analyze, +100%, enhancement and have every success treated as a critical success so Parker would know what to do (e.g., change course to avoid smacking into a building vs. general sense of unease that doesn't really tell him what directing he need to go in or if the threat is a building or enemy attack or whatever). If he relies on it for basic maneuverability, I'd also apply Cosmic, No roll required, +300%, as well.

#3 is a doozy, though. It might again technically be a part of Danger Sense if you count revealing your identity as a danger (we know Parker does), but at this point the advantage has grown exceptionally broad so it may not be the best idea. Kind of stuck on this. Detect (Observer) maybe? There's a perk that has you automatically know when a gun is pointed at you sixth-sense style, so maybe generalizing this to all observers would make it a 5- or 10-point advantage?

Spider sense being triggered by Osborne may be best represented with Empathy; hyper-tuned senses give you a "vibe" for someone, letting you know roughly their personality and intentions. In this case, it was throwing out BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD! due to Osborne's less than healthy mental state and anti-Spiderman intentions.
>>
>>46131114
Oh and I forgot a bit.

Venom adapting to it isn't a weakness of Danger Sense in GURPS terms. Rather, Venom would have to buy and advantage that makes it not work against him, probably Neutralize (One ability, Spider Sense, -80%) with other modifiers to make it a constant thing rather than something that needs to be applied via touch.

MJ and Aunt May not triggering #3 is easy enough if it's still a part of Danger Sense; neither are a threat to Parker, so regardless of how badly he wants to keep his superhero life a secret from them, they don't trigger DS. If it's a different advantage, it would probably require a limitation like Threats Only, -10%.
>>
File: 1447899413627.jpg (132 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
1447899413627.jpg
132 KB, 667x1000
>>46131114
>>46131284
Technically Precognition (Defense/Self Only) has the exact same cost as Danger Sense.
>>
>>46131337
This seems.. weird. I guess it's because Danger Sense is Mental but not Exotic like Precognition?

Sort of like Very Rapid Healing being worse then Regeneration (Slow).
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.